Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Thursday, September twelfth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number twenty eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are lacking the SWBC mortgage studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years accounting see why at LG dot com for slash O Ledevil. How's everybody doing it?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 3: Excellent?
Speaker 4: Well, we're rolling good. We're at this week two of the NFL season. There's gonna be a game tonight, and so the NFL is really cranking up. We'll get into our normal groove here. Yesterday we talked about the Saints offense versus the Cowboys defense. Today we're gonna flip that around. We'll get into that a little bit later in the show. But first things first, we got to talk about injuries. There's an interesting injury list for the Cowboys and even more injuries for the New Orleans Saints. Let's start first with the Cowboys, though. Jake Ferguson and John Stevens both out of practice for knee and hamstring injuries, respectively. Talking to me about what we're expecting there and obviously what happens if those tight ends are not available.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were able to talk to Jake Ferguson in the locker room yesterday and it just kind of get his perspective on the injury that happened on Sunday, and he said, whenever it initially happened, he thought it was an ACL and I was talking to some people that were coming off the field on Sunday they felt the same way. But then those initial testing and everything came back. He tweeted out, God is good and that's what it's looking like right now. But still some rehabbing that he's going to have to do going into the week. Obviously, mispracticed yesterday, he wasn't even out on the field, so they're trying to, you know, work him in a smart way to get him back on the field. But with that being said, I personally I don't feel like he plays on Sunday, just given the nature of the injury and the typical time frame that it takes to recover from those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: We've seen it in the past where.
Speaker 6: It's more of a two to three week type deal. Granted it's Jake Ferguson, so he could be back by the following week against the Ravens, but I think pushing it against the Saints, I think it might be a close timeline for him. And then you mentioned John Stevens Junior. When I talk to people, and I think Brian feels the same way.
Speaker 2: He's mentioned it as well.
Speaker 6: There's a little bit more concern with John Stevens playing on Sunday than there is with Jake Ferguson. Granted, still concerned with both, but John Stevens still working through that hamstring injury. We saw him out on the course yesterday with Britt Brown, so you know, trying to work back from that. But if they're down two tight ends, I mean, we talked about it a little bit, there's gonna be a lot of moving around that they're gonna have to do.
Speaker 2: With that position.
Speaker 6: But then also Marshawn Neeland was out yesterday with a calf injury, was not on the practice field, So we'll probably learn a little bit more about that and Mike McCarthy's press conference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we get too far into Niland, how much does that set back the offense if you don't have those two tight ends available to you on Sunday.
Speaker 3: I feel like though that where in watching the Saints, and we'll get into it. I kind of feel like though that if you had your tight ends in this game, you could take advantage of the Saints and the way they play their coverages. Really and I don't know this is if they were just because Carolina has a second year quarterback, but they were super aggressive with the way that they blitzed this kid and the majority of their blitz is and maybe they're worried a little bit too about their pass rush that they had to bring corners and slots and you know, there was a lot safeties. There was a lot going on here. And I kind of feel like that if you have the tight ends, if you have a Ferguson or somebody like that, and you know you're you're dealing with uh, you know, you're dealing with Tyron Matthew and and and and and guys like that, and Will Harris that you know, you want to kind of get these guys and you know, you want to make them have to play and cover a little bit. So I think it hurts Dallas in that way because the secondary for the Saints, I don't think it's as nearly as good as what we saw last week in Cleveland. But they've got a couple of guys. Depending on what happens with Marshawn Lattimore, we'll get into that a little bit more with his injury and stuff like that. Uh Adobo the uh the the the other corner there.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, I kind of feel like that maybe there's some opportunity here, but these safeties are kind of an area that I would like to really trying to attack if I could. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, And the we well, we know just overall how important the tight end position is for the quarterback like Dak So that's always unfortunate. But they do have guys that can still help in there. But the good thing is what I think Dallas does have some favorable matchups and you still have some really really good receivers on the offense that you can really try to take advantage of. And still with the running game, that's still a question mark because I don't think we truly have a sense a good sense of what the running game for Dallas is at the moment. But I think that the Saints defense, and we'll get into it Brian will do his accounting report, but it seems like overall it might be a matchup where the Cowboys still have the upper hand despite being down at tight end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could be the Hunter Lipke, you know that that's where they can get around, you know, with you know, playing with him as that you know, detached player, the move guy, the h the full back. You know, maybe you jump into some of those, you know, play with with Schoonmaker and span Ford, But the third tied end is going to be Hunter Lipke and how he plays. So I have a feeling that. But man, this this Saints bunch at the at the safety spot, if you had somebody that could play vertically, because they play a lot of single eye stuff, you know, I mean, and maybe it had to do with Carolina that they just there they they knew that they could overwhelm Bryce Young. But if you're gonna play a lot of single high man. That's where it seems like that Ferguson has that ability to get up the seam and and then you can hit some hit some plays up there that way.
Speaker 4: This game will tell me a lot about Schoonmaker. He is a second round pick. He had a you know, a red shirt year last year effectively didn't play, and he didn't play as well as we all wanted him to, you know, as a as a second round pick. But now you're in your second year and and today, yeah, and he's healthy and and this is a game where it looks like maybe they're going to eat him. And so this this is a good opportunity to see where you see.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I think we'll have a lot to talk about on Monday from the standpoint of the tight end position. If those two guys don't play, because schoon Maker is going to be asked to do more.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be asked through a lot more in this game. And uh, it's it's where the you know, these edges, linebackers, safeties, there's some opportunities here with this defense. It's Uh, I think that the challenge you faced last week was pretty stiff, and this one is it's got its areas where you can take advantage of some things, but you just you have to take advantage. You can't let these guys get off the hook, you know with some of the things that they're trying to do. They're they're really trying to scheme and play around some of their their lack ofs you know, with the way their scheme is. So you know, but you need you need to be on the screws for this one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and this is still a strong pass rush for the for the Saints unit. I mean, you look at Cam Jordan, uh, they bring in Chase Young. Granted he's more of a rotational guy behind Carl Granderson and that might be a name that a lot of fans don't know, but eight and a half sacks last year he was really productive for the Saints. So I think whenever you factor in potentially giving Tyler Geitton some help around the edge, you factoring a guy like Luke Schoonmaker who's going to have to be doing a lot of that chipping, doing a lot of that pushing around even in the run game too, helping out on both sides.
Speaker 2: But whether it be a Guiden or Steel.
Speaker 6: These are big guys that they have around the edge, Cam Jordan, Carl Granderson, So there's gonna have to be some bodies attached to them.
Speaker 4: How much do you do, how much do you lose or do you lose anything from the standpoint of blocking when you talk about some of like span Ford that might now have a lot more rest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think span Ford this could be an opportunity for him as well, like you said, and I think whenever we identified him coming out of the University of Minnesota, he was this blocking specialty type tight end, and I think that was kind of the thought process and bringing him in as one of the highest paid undrafted free agents around the league. They gave him the most guaranteed money of all on drafteds out of the league. I think whenever you put him into this offense this week, without a Jake Ferguson and without a John Stevens junior, He's gonna be asked to do a whole lot, not only in the blocking game, but also in the receiving game. He wasn't really asked to do a lot of that at the University of Minnesota. Granted we did see him at the Senior Bowl line up and do a lot of different red zone things, and he really took advantage.
Speaker 4: Of those big bodies.
Speaker 2: For sure, he is a big body.
Speaker 6: I think you could work that in in red zone situations, but how comfortable is he doing that. I didn't see a ton of reps during training camp him working in the red zone. So you know how much application of knowledge will have to be applied this week specifically for him. I think that's something to keep an eye on moving forward. But those are gonna be the two tight ends that they call upon. You'll probably anticipate a Princeton fan elevation. You would need to use him in some blocking situations. And then, like you said, Hunter, look he's also an option.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Marshawn Neelan being out yesterday for practice with a calf injury. Talk to me about what the Cowboys do if he can't play. When you look at someone like Tyrus sweet Chance, Chauncey Golston, do you bring up Carl Lawson, Like, where do you think they go there?
Speaker 3: I was told that I asked about Neelan's injur I said concern, and they appeared to say it wasn't bad. So hopefully he will be able to go. You know, but we've we've had these moments before with the calf. We're not worried and all of a sudden we get to the end of the week and the guy just can't go. And so but initially it was, hey, we should be okay here, okay, well let's see, you know, we're we're gonna have another couple of days, three days here to kind of figure all this out. But yeah, you know, it could be you know, Carl Lawson could be the elevation there. You know, they've got to find Wheat. He was primarily special teams guy last week. You know, you have to get him involved. We talked about yesterday. You get a rookie left tackle for the Saints. And then with with Penny on the other side, he's a guy that kind of can give up some pressure. When he watched him play as a left tackle, he wasn't very good and right side there were some pressures you know that Carolina was able to generate over him on that right side. So anything over there that is against those against that right side, I think is good. If it's Wheat and or Lawrence Parsons, anybody that they want to take off that right side I think can cause some problems.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think you could look for a Carl lost in elevation, like like you mentioned Derek. I think there's still confidence in Lawson. Just really didn't find a roster spot that made sense for him going into this season. But he's still a guy that's here at practice every day and if there's an injury to that edge unit, he's gonna be the first one called upon.
Speaker 4: All right, let's talk about the Saints. They had five guys that did not practice yesterday. I'm gonna run off these names. Let me know which ones you think are the most important to keep an eye on from the standpoint of how much of an impact it would be to the Saints if they didn't have then we had cornerback Markshawn Lattimore, a really good player, obviously, safety Tower and Matthew, guard Lucas Patrick, defensive tackle Kaylin Saunders, and linebacker DeMarco Jackson.
Speaker 3: I think that I would start with Latimore because if you go back and you watch the time that Ceedee Lamb played against Lattimore at I think there were three targets, one catch for three yards, there was an interception, and against everybody else. I think that Ceedee Lamb was eight for eighty four or eighty five. You know, when it came to it was remarkably different. The amount of space that Ceedee Lamb was able to generate and the receptions that he was able to grab By not playing against Latimore, that means that kool Aid mckissory. If you watch the draft show, I think a lot of you did out there that we talked about. Mckisstory a lot from newestity of Alabama. He came in last week and actually did a pretty good job. There were three targets I believe his direction, there was only one reception. He's a very talented player. I was surprised he went in the second round. Kind of a bunch of thought he would probably be a first round player. Alabama had a couple of cornerbacks and he was one of the more talented ones that they had. So he stepped in and did a pretty nice job. But if you take Lattimore off this defense, I think that's pretty significant for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll give you a close runner up in the fact that Lucas Patrick starting left guard.
Speaker 2: That's that's definitely.
Speaker 6: A one to keep an eye on as the week moves forward. They don't have a ton of interior depth. A lot of teams do not have a lot of interior depth, so this could be a situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Landing Young was his backup, and there's clearly a drop off between Patrick and and Young when you watch them play. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I'm just shaking my head because I'm like, some things, just don't say it because then that's when things happen.
Speaker 2: That's fortunate things happen.
Speaker 8: So man, as soon as you said that, I'm when you got right.
Speaker 3: Now, that could change quickly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when it does come to the Saints practice schedule this week, I think something just to keep an eye on. Players were sent home early yesterday in anticipation of hurricane Hurricane fran Scene making landfall. They were all out of the facility by about two pm, so they were able to complete practice, but team meetings and everything got cut pretty short. And then with heavy flooding in Jefferson Parish last night, that's where a lot of players do live down there, and then the causeway is causing some issues up in Mandeville. I think just kind of keep an eye on the practice schedule this week for the Saints. There could be some things that are moved around quite a bit with them because of that story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's an interesting thing. And Brian, you and I were talking yesterday before we went on the air. I'm sure you've had some experience with it when you talk about teams having to prepare under really difficult circumstances when life starts to life, right, and you got these things outside of your control that are not about football, that are affecting your life and obviously then your ability to be able to do your job. How do you prepare for that? And what have you seen in your experience, Brian, particularly like in how teams manage that and how players respond to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing is an organization, you have to be very mindful that your players are human and they have families. You know, a lot of them had their wives, their kids, you know, their girlfriends. You know, maybe maybe mom dad are there, you know, living with them now. They're taking care and your first thing is okay, you're thinking about your job. But as an organization, you have to be very mindful of this. And that's the one thing that the Saints are very mindful of because they live it every year. Hurricane season hits down in Midami, they deal with the same thing hurricane season hits, and then you have to be you know, you have to. So the organization usually has a really good plan for Okay, listen, we're gonna get take care of your families. This is what we're going. If you guys have to go early, if say you have to get on a plane and get out of here to go play this game, please don't worry about your families. We'll get everybody taken care of. We'll get a bust out, we'll get them hoteled up. You know, everything will be fine that way, And so that takes a lot of pressure off the players to have to deal with that. They're like, Okay, I don't have to worry about moving my mom, my dad, or moving my wife and the kids out of here. We can we can take care of that. So it is difficult because we all talk about when we get into and you brought it up, we came in the routine the creatures of habit where every week you get into a routine Monday Tuesday, every day there's a you know what you have to do, and then you do it for like eighteen weeks. And so when you throw somebody off that schedule, it could be very, very difficult. The league tried to do it the other day with you know, with sin in Green Bay and Philadelphia to Brazil on a nine hour flight and then turn around and play. Green Bay's got to play a day day, a noon game this week after playing again, you know, so the league, the league will do that. Well the Cowboys, heck, I mean, how many times you guys played three games eleven days. Yeah, you know, I mean you just get used to the part of the don't complain. You just show up, You practice for two days or a day, and then you go play. And so teams are accustomed. But there's, like I say, there's some organizations that are really good at helping their their players just have that level of comfort that know that their families are taking care of while they're practicing.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're gonna take our first break. We'll come back. We'll jump into this New Orleans defense versus the Cowboys offense with at a moment, this is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hover. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 11: Requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dtails.
Speaker 12: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 12: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 3: Lg O lead.
Speaker 12: Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 13: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 2: Be beat better.
Speaker 14: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 15: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care. You have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. The Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America NA member after I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 8: Back to the break, LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it.
Speaker 16: Digital trends said the lgoled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com, slash O Ledevo.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. Second segment of the Break Life from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the star of the segments brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, Brian, let's go. Let's talk Cowboys offense versus New Orleans defense. Let's start with a big picture question. Yeah, tell me the greatest strength of this defense, and then tell me the greatest weakness of this defense.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll tell you it's the very small sample size of the Carolina game. And to me, the strength of it was their ability. And I haven't seen a team do this in a while. But they're not afraid to get their secondary involved with blitzing. And Nick and I we were all talking about the pass rush with Grandison and then you know, you bring in you know, you bring in others to you know, Chase Young, guys like that and Cam Jordan. I mean, they've got some guys that you would think are like legitimate pass rushers and and and they do those you see those guys get involved. But I was, I was shocked of Holmut. And I don't know, I don't know this because I don't know if it's just that that Dennis Allen decided that that Bryce Young can't handle pressure from the secondary. He can't. He can't read it, he can't see it. He's not going to get his guys in the right spot. He's not going to move a blocker. Hey, he moves a blocker over from the left to the right, and they run the blitz from the left and he gets sacked from the second and you're like going, wait a minute, why did you just move? And what happened is the blocker the back on the right side does nothing blocks nobody. It's kind of like he was, you know, looking and the actual blitz came from his left. So I don't know if, if, how if Dennis Allen in this game, in his strength of slot blitz, safety, blitz, you know, combinations of blitzes, I don't know if he's going to do this to Dak Prescott or even try to do this to Dak Prescott because in this game, I mean, you look at just this was a metrics thing. And the great thing about us and our ability to watch tape and they go look at things, and this just was jarring to me. And the Saints had five off ball players generate a pressure versus the Panthers in this game. Overall, the Saints sent twelve different players who did not play edge or defensive tackle on blitzes eight p's eight pressures on fourteen blitzes. Fifty seven percent of the time they blitzed on third down. That was their big blitz down was third down. That's gotta think about down though, right, think about that though? Is this something? Is this a okay? Is this a first game trend or every week? Are we going to really dial things up? And if you're sending that much secondary pressure, are you worried about your pass rush? Because what happened is you go back and you watch the guys that were getting the pressure. Though Chase Young was the one that had the most pressures in the game. Granderson is a good rusher, Jordan's a good rush, but they didn't generate the pressure that Chase Young did as the edge they had it. Their nickel had had three sacks in this game. Four rushes, three sacks from their nickel. That's a slot player. Yeah, and so you're going, there's no way in hell they do this to Dak Prescott.
Speaker 4: But that's also where I guess what I'm thinking of it. My question would be you were asking me.
Speaker 3: What the strict and it was, I don't know, because I'm thinking, damn. If this is something that they're going to go in every week feeling like we're not going to create enough, you would think that they're that they across the across the front, that they could generate pressure on this Carolina defensive line. You would think that, yeah, but they found something that like, well, this kid can't read he can't read Blitzer.
Speaker 4: Right, Which that's my point, like, yeah, Dak Prescott is a veteran quarterback. You would think they wouldn't go into a game plan like that against a veteran quarterback because he will eat you live. If you're sending all those there's gonna be somebody open and you got a dangerous guy like CD Lamb on the outside. You got other playmakers in this offense. Like, to me, that's just like you got a running back that can pick up the blitz and then you're exposed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 6: I want to offer two points of I think optimism from that point, Brian, since that Dak Prescott, whenever he is escaping the pocket and getting out an extending place, we saw him really succeed doing that last chair. This Mike McCarthy offense. I think it was an emphasis going into last year. You know, we talked so much about the footwork at training camp and being able to escape the pocket. That's a big part of that. Being able to step up in the pocket, that's a big part of that.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 6: Also the second point is, and Mike McCarthy mentioned this yesterday in as press conference. He was asked about how can you evaluate based off one game? And he said, in the Saints specific case, whenever he's looking at the Saints defense, the personnel is pretty much the same back to last season. And I think if you identify, you know what they did under Dennis Allen last year with the personnel that they had in place. Only a thirty six sacs last year, twenty eighth in the NFL. So I think whenever you look at it from a pressure standpoint and you take last week in a vacuum and try to understand it, I think it said more about Carolina than it did about New Orleans. With that being said, like I mentioned earlier, there are some big pass rushers on this defensive line. Yeah, And I think if you're looking at power guys and you're understanding Tyler Guiden is in his career, where you understand where Cooper Beebe is in his career, even Terren Steele in some instances, power could be an area of concern. But I do feel comfortable with guys like Exeel Elliott being able to pick up blitz his Dak's ability to be able to escape the pocket. I don't think they're gonna have as many issues as Carolina did last yek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know you would think that maybe that they that they they're looking at this like last year we generated no sacks, and so I would maybe that that they we're not going to get off once again. The thing that all of a sudden they.
Speaker 16: I remember where they ranked last.
Speaker 3: Year twenty eight. Yeah, yeah, they just sty this. But in this game, I was sitting there expected I was thinking, like, okay, Jordan Young, those get they're just going to overpop Carolinas. Just can't block these guys. And for the most part, there were, like I say, Young had had a good game rush in the passer Chase Young. We remember him from the Commanders. I mean, he was a highly selected guy. Was one or yeah and one or two? Was he? I thought he was two, but he was up there. Yeah. I don't think the Commanders had the first overall pick. I think he was number two to Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Good work, good work.
Speaker 3: Guy. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. I mean, but do you remember that I remember that one because that was some quarterbacks in that draft. That was one of those that that. Yeah, there was I think there was some guys they they passed on. They passed on a guy or too there. But anyway, that the the thing about it that with with the Saints, I just kind of feel like that they're now going to they're taking a more aggressive approach when and Nick's right about the guys they have the names they have, but this this one, this one was one of those kind of like is this a one time thing or is this an all time thing? But but they play a ton of man coverage. I mean that that is something that they are going to They're going to line up and and again they they might not respect, they might not respect what Carolina had at receiver, but but their team that if you look at the numbers, say, okay, was this something they've done before the last two years, big heavy press man coverage team, so you know this, I think the respect was there. But Carolina in pressman coverage only had five completions against them in this game when they played press. So you know you're gonna gamble here if you you know, to me, I'm always to give me the quick death. I don't want slow death. You know, if I'm if I'm a defense, just you know, give me the quick if it's you know, if we we gamble. I think this team gambles. I think this is going to be their identity. I think they're going to gamble on coverage because you'll see them at times. You'll see them at times. It's crazy to believe this, But here they are bringing a blitz and they got a linebacker. They they've got a receiver in the slot and a linebacker playing inside, and they're showing linebacker inside like in the B gap, and they bring the slot and they run the linebacker all the way to the outside to try and cover a vertical Uh you know, feeling, Yeah, THELAN is running a route from the side. He looks and like he looks out and there's nobody in front of him. There's no it's like they're they're in like a little tight little twins look and feeling's like, are you gonna throw me the ball when I'm running up the field here? Because there's nobody in front. They took their inside linebacker B gap and ran him all the way to try and take THELAN on a vertical route.
Speaker 4: There's no way they can say that they're sitting You're.
Speaker 3: Sitting there thinking, yeah, I mean, Dak, you try that. Dak is going to find that book there you go right there.
Speaker 6: I think that's also where you have some hope that Jake Ferguson plays in this game.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was thinking, So anything because these safeties. The thing I love Tyron Matthew because he's my LSU brother and stuff like that. But the thing with Tyron Matthew is Tyron Matthews still where Tyron Matthew help will help the Saints. He creates turnovers. He's a come up to you tackle and you're like, book, punch the ball out guy, you know, or he's always trying to, and he did. He knocked the ball here. You know, they get they get a nice little run. What's tying Matthew come up punch the ball. That's what he's always been. That guy's round. Yeah, So all of a sudden, if you're one of these guys, you know, if you're Cooks your lamb, you're catching the ball and all of a sudden Matthews there just don't give up the turnover that way. But their defense, it might be just because of Carolina, but I think they're going to They've got an aggressive side to it this year. They sure do.
Speaker 4: We're going to take our final break, we'll come back. Got more questions for you on this defense and a few on the Cowboys offense and how they particularly match up. We'll do that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: That's get Jack Black dot slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 12: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg oleled Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 12: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 12: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 12: Lg oleled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 4: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 17: Slash o led Evil from the field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at The Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah. Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. Dot Com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 8: Back to the break, go ahead by all means go for it, AT and t uh huh. And then what does the ATN T do?
Speaker 2: Connecting changes everything? There we go look at us connected.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, almost said the tiger. Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Final segment of the break laugh from the s WBC Mortgage studios at the Star were presented by lg Uh. Let's talk a little bit more about this Dallas offense versus New York defense. Brian, do you have something?
Speaker 3: I was asking Cuba Hubbard? Yeah, do you think they have? I mean the running game of Caroline. We were talking about Carolina and the break. They have enough talent for Bryce Young, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's a consistent runner, but I think whenever they do get Brooks back healthy, I don't think there's an excuse for Bryce Young after that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like you, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: He look, but it was hard to watch. It was hard to watch, and and like you said, I've never seen him play that poorly. And you know, all the way back to high school how he played, and I never I never believed that he was going to play this poorly.
Speaker 2: Me neither.
Speaker 4: I just know how he played against my long Horns when he was at Obama that game, the Longhorns should have won, But for Bryce Yell.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny.
Speaker 11: He was.
Speaker 6: He was talking about the corner blitzer or the nickel blitzer, and he's like, yeah, I just don't think he has you know, I don't think he has trouble with that.
Speaker 2: And I was like, there was the one time.
Speaker 3: Why do you think the Saints did with that? I mean, I was just curious, now real quick, I'm sorry, I mean, but why do you think the Saints played him. The way they did is that they did they don't think.
Speaker 6: He can I mentioned this in the break, and this is the first time in his career he's not had an offensive line that can protect him, and I don't think he knows how to play with that. That's that's a real thing for quarterbacks, and I think it's understated at times because it's kind of the cliche, Oh, you don't have protection, so it doesn't work. I really think that's the problem with Price Young because whenever you're having to escape the pocket two and a half seconds after the snap, whether you have protection or not, you're immediately going to have that anxious feeling, unless it's a snap throw. You have the anxious feeling whenever you have to dissect and read. And I think that's the problem because you see the happy feet in the pocket with him.
Speaker 2: You never saw that at modern day or in Alabama.
Speaker 8: So I feel like the more you mess up, the more he gets into your head.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I think they probably wanted to overwhelm him, like you're coming into a new season, you know, the talent that he had coming out of college. You're like, you don't want him to get comfortable on you, so you say, send everything at him.
Speaker 3: And by the way, they made car comfortable playing defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like that's the point, like you just send everything at him. And as after what they did last year or not did what they didn't do when it came to pass rush last year, it was a good thing to put on tape. Now teams have to account for the fact that they may be sending pressure from a lot of different points. I'm sure there's a lot of time the Cowboys, and it has been this week thinking about, Hey, what about the corner, what about the safe, what about the backer? Like you got to think about all those things. Now after that game.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like, though the end of this game that you're gonna you're gonna gamble, like we're talking about safety in the excuse linebacker in the A gonna carry a slot wide receiver. Do you think it's one of those things you say against Dak you have to do it because we're gonna get home before they adjust. I would I mean, it's the it's the slow death first the fast.
Speaker 4: I would say, look at look at the pass played, the touchdown, played it to Cooks. They they got it. They they got a press inside, they got the pressure and guess what, Dak, Oh my god, off the back foot touchdowns like that's got to worry.
Speaker 6: About something about that touchdowns A little off topic. I apologize something about that touchdown that was a product of timing.
Speaker 2: That touchdown pass does not happened if CD Lamb was running that route.
Speaker 6: Whenever you look at the timing and certain things that they tried with CD and Dak at times in Sunday's game too.
Speaker 4: Are you saying because they haven't had the time over the work.
Speaker 6: Five receptions there was not a lot of complex route running schemes run by CD Lamb. But you see that instance with Brandon Cooks. He hadn't even broke when Dak threw that ball. Yeah, and he knew exactly where Cooks was going to be. He was wide open and it worked out for a touchdown. We've seen that route how many times over the course of the last month and a half. I think that's just a product of really good timing in a quarterback receiver connection, right.
Speaker 3: I think Kevin Thornhill out there, I'd thrown that ball up too.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That guy look that he was watching a home run. Aaron Judge slam went over his head and he's just kind of sitting there and the OW I feel like, oh yeah, it's a home run. I'm not moving.
Speaker 4: Speaking of CD, LAMB, how much do you guys expect that that he'll have a full clip this week and and that that that that connection would improve this week over last week.
Speaker 6: I think whenever we look up here, you know, before the Ravens game, I would expect Dak and CD to be one hundred percent by then. But I think right now, going into the Saints week, I'm probably anticipating about eighty eighty five, just because that timing is a real thing. And yes, Dak Prescott could say, hey, it's only going to take a couple of practices for us to get back in the rhythm of things, but those guys probably worked out all you could count on your two hands, you know, over the course of the the offseason. Obviously hasn't had CD implemented in the offense since January. You know, it's gonna take some time to get back up to speed. Granted, now we're looking up about three weeks since he signed that deal, So I think whenever we're looking at going into the Ravens game, that's when we should start seeing some of this complex route running schemes come back, and that's where he's doing the double moves. That's where he's you know, a DAK is trusting where the ball placement is going to be because he trust where CD is going to be. I didn't necessarily see that against the against the Browns. Oddly enough, the route that worked the best for CD and DAK last year was just a pure slant route, and they relied on that in the Browns game, as they should have. But you can also see that they're falling on their weapons that they know will work. But you also have to mix it up with some things. That's that's with anything. But I think if they mix it up a little bit more and they're able to implement some double moves and get CD open on some slant, then break out to a corner slant, break out to a post, I think there's gonna be some opportunities to really open up this offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guy you want to put him on is Alante Taylor, the slot. He's the one. The last two years they've gone after this cat, and Carolina went after this guy too. He gave him a touchdown, had four receptions. I think it was seven targets. I was watching him play. I'm thinking, man, they're kind of picking on this dude, and went back and check. They pick on this dude a lot. So if your routes are coming out of the slot, the stuff you talk about, the slant and the corners and things like that that you want to run, maybe that Think about the Saints Alante Taylor, he's number one, he's their nickel player, he's the one with three sacks. Maybe he's a better edge than he is a cover.
Speaker 4: Well, looking at this game, they were pretty dominant over Carolina both in the pass defense, in their pass defense and their rush defense, only allowing one hundred and thirty five yards passing fifty eight yards rushing. Brian from what you could tell, do you think this is a team that you would attack if you're the Cowboys, you attacked them more with the run game or with the pass game based on where you see deficiencies.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like that you're throwing the ball against these guys might be okay. And I know that Nick has his concerns with the pass rush. I guess I would have concerns with the too. If I thought every time I'm going to blitz a secondary guy. He's going to get home, you know. But I you know, you find a way that the matchups are going to be about can these Cowboys tackles hold up in this game? Can you know the Browns I said, are the Browns defense was so much better than this defense. When you talk about the pressure and you know the players that you have, there's some sneaky, sneaky good players in this team. But I don't know, Like I said, you know, I've seen Chase Young before rush wide, rush wide, rush wide, rush way and then all of sudden decides to go inside and like, oh he figured it out. He actually got a pressure there, but he you know, he's That's the thing about it is some of these guys get in a little bit of a rhythm rush and then you can kind of you kind of deal with it. But if Dallas's tackles hold up well in this game, I they can throw the ball.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't necessarily say I have concerns with the pass rush. I think it's just more so identified.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. You're not wrong strength here.
Speaker 6: And I think whenever you look at you know, the rookies up front, they did a really good job against the Brounce that's a fact. Sure Miles Garrett didn't make his presence felt on that one play, and by god he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But I think whenever you look at the picture as a whole and how Tyler Geydon performed against those edge rushers, I'm comfortable going into New Orleans understanding that he can play to that same level. I just think it's a strength of theirs that definitely should be And I'm with you, Brian, I'm passing the ball if I want to win in this.
Speaker 3: See the thing about it is with Geyton and hopefully the hands and the feet, you know, I mean after why we talked about it, it was he was in survival mode and with these guys, I think he can breathe. These guys can rush, Don't get me wrong on this. These guys can rush, but it's not like dealing with Miles Garrett and even even Smith. You know, those guys don't give you a breath. And I think with the Saints they have some guys where technique, you know, just play your technique, and he got a good shot of blocking these cats.
Speaker 8: I think this is a game where Dak goes into feeling a lot more comfortable and confident, because even going back to the game again to Browns, where there was some pressure coming, Dak would sit still like you didn't really see him kind of going out of the pocket and taking off. So I think I think that maybe this gives him more like Okay, it frees him up more to be more comfortable to anticipate those pressures and start using his running game. Because again, he's healthy, he looks good. We know he can do it. He's done it before, like you mentioned before, Nick, We've seen him get out of the pocket, run and throw, and he has been very successful at connecting those passes with the receivers. He has very talented receivers. So I think this is an opportunity to maybe see him just a little bit more mobile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these linebackers, when you talking about Pete Warner and the Murio Davis here that last week's line back again, Coral Moore, those these guys are run. These these guys are a little bit later to the ball. I mean they could they could be a tick late. There were a couple of times where Carolina were able to get the ball inside and then make some you know, a lot of four or five yard runs, eight yard run. You know, against this group, the linebackers are not going to make the number of plays that the Browns linebackers were. Those dudes were hum into the ball on the run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is more of a blue collar group.
Speaker 6: They do the dirty work, they get it, they get in there, they will make their presence felt. But I think it is a strong second level, but it's not what we saw from the Browns last week. They do have some young guys though, that are pretty interesting in that second level too, that we might see rotate. In Anthony Orgie, he's a rock Wall product, Jalen Ford, he went to Friscal Lone Star. There was a couple of guys, and then DeMarco Jackson while he was on the injury report. That certainly got to keep an eye on too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this week, based on what we've heard Brian you talk about with him using so many guys from the secondary on blitz's, do you expect this is a game we'll see a lot more of Zeke Elliott in the backfield than that rotation. Knowing that he is I think their best, their best blitz pick up guy from among the running backs that are on the roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you would expect.
Speaker 6: If we're looking from a carry's perspective, I think we're going to see a similar distribution. But as far as passing downs, I think we you can anticipate Zeke Elliott being on the field a lot on third down.
Speaker 3: Did you ask that question of press conference something like that, Yeah, I thought so about that you be comfortable with the balance.
Speaker 4: And he was with that Yeah, yeah, yeah, man, It's obviously it's gonna be Ah, they're gonna need that. If if this is the way the Saints are going to be playing this year, you're gonna need that, which means is the number of snaps. The number of snaps certainly gonna fix a lot more. Yeah. You know, actually for those out there, for those out there that don't know, and as a nod to the game against the Saints this week, today in the training table, we are having gumbo. So uh, if you know anything about me, you know I'm very excited about that.
Speaker 2: Two days.
Speaker 3: Year. Man, So we get on doing it.
Speaker 4: Exactly so we can get over here and get some of this gumbo. All right, I appreciate you guys to join us back tomorrow. We're gonna wrap this thing up, get you guys ready for Cowboys versus Saints. Till then for Nick Harris. Brian brought us an ambergar Ci. I'm Derek Elt and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This is in a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.