Speaker 1: Hi there to Mumbay listeners. This is Fred Greenholsch, the host of Undertow Realm's premiere horror podcast, and I'm excited to let you know that the creators of Tumumbay have a new show out with us called The Sisters. When the curator of a museum of medical oddities receives a mysterious gift, she uncovers a story of a curse that connects her present with one family's haunted past. Terrifyingly enough, this tale of grief and obsession was inspired by real events, and if you are a skeptic about ghosts and the paranormal, while listening to The Sisters will probably make you think again. Today you'll hear the first full episode of The Sisters. To find the rest, look for The Sisters, season six of Undertow rever Podcasts are served.
Speaker 2: What you are about to hear is a true story. It happened in Hexham, England in the nineteen fifties and sixties. Names have been changed out of respect to the victims and to protect the innocent. The Sisters episode one Believe it or.
Speaker 3: Not, it's the third nineteen sixty five interview number seven with.
Speaker 4: Well why don't you introduce yourself?
Speaker 5: My lovely? Tell me your name?
Speaker 6: Where's Jackie? We do everything together, which I know you are, Jill.
Speaker 3: I bet you have a lot of fun, don't you. No, But today Jill is all about you?
Speaker 6: Is it blake? Going to the dentist?
Speaker 7: No much nicer than going to the dentist. What have you got there, Jill? What are you playing with my locket? Is there anything inside it?
Speaker 6: Yes? H from an angel.
Speaker 7: Well that's something that'll keep you safe't it.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 8: Jill?
Speaker 3: Why don't you tell me about My name is.
Speaker 8: Mart did you?
Speaker 9: That doesn't mean anything?
Speaker 7: She's heard me talk?
Speaker 10: Please let the child speak.
Speaker 7: My name is mort all right, Maude, tell me about yourself.
Speaker 6: My name is Jill any years old. We are eight years old. We live in Hexham, England. We ride bikes.
Speaker 11: Hell.
Speaker 12: Hello, good afternoon. My name is Frankie Bradshaw. I'm the chief curator of the world famous Motor Museum here in downtown Philadelphia, and I'll be your tour guide through Hell. Kidding, that's just a joke. Before we get started, you should know some of the objects on display here can be quite triggering. I hate that word, but it's true. This isn't a typical museum. It's not filled with beautiful objects. To the contrary, it's a showcase of imperfection, an unflinching look into the mysteries of the human body, and that.
Speaker 13: Yes, you have a question.
Speaker 14: Is it true you have a piece of Einstein's brain?
Speaker 8: Yes, we do.
Speaker 12: We also have the fucking moor of pickled skin. This is the last place I ever wanted to work.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 12: Actually, when I was in grad school at Penn, I thought I'd be the curator of the Philadelphia Art Museum by now, or at least a gallery with actual art.
Speaker 10: Follow me.
Speaker 12: The fact is I'm thirty four years old and working here is one step above Ripley's believe it or not.
Speaker 14: So where's the rest of Einstein's brain?
Speaker 8: Do you keep it on a separate floor?
Speaker 13: Like the different rings and Lord of the Rings?
Speaker 15: It's too powerful to have them together?
Speaker 12: So how do I deal with questions like these? I sneak into the bathroom for a drink. I really shouldn't. What I should do is call my sponsor. But before I get the chance, Frankie, Yes, duncan, I'm in here.
Speaker 15: We just got a delivery, a box. They won't let any time for it.
Speaker 13: Did you tell them you work here?
Speaker 15: Yes, Frankie, of course.
Speaker 16: Well what kind of box?
Speaker 15: I don't know. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 17: I want you, Frankie, what should I tell him?
Speaker 15: Are you Frankie to diary?
Speaker 18: Uh?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well sort of.
Speaker 12: I'm divorced. It's no longer.
Speaker 13: My last name.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever your name is.
Speaker 2: You kept me out here fifteen minutes freezing.
Speaker 17: My assigh Yeah, sorry, don't be gorgeous A signy?
Speaker 15: So where's the box back of the truck? You got a back door or something.
Speaker 6: I can help you load it in.
Speaker 12: How big is it?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 5: It's big.
Speaker 13: Let's take the plastic off.
Speaker 15: Okay, let me cut it.
Speaker 14: Shit.
Speaker 13: I think it's some kind of animal.
Speaker 15: Animal, Franky, it's a bipedal. Do you know what this is? It's a fucking alien. Look at the thing. It's huge.
Speaker 12: It is huge, twice as thick and several feet longer than a normal human skeleton. And there's no space between the bones. It's like the skeletal remains of a blob.
Speaker 15: Jesus, where do you think he's from? Mars or Venus?
Speaker 12: Probably New Jersey? Oh, come on, Duncan, don't you see it's a prank, you think. Yeah, remember the two headed pig man we got in the mail last year.
Speaker 13: That was very convincing, I know, And remember how disappointed you were hi estas, Yeah, I know. It's my faults.
Speaker 12: Day is my childhood friend from Hershey, Pennsylvania. She's from an orthodox Jewish family, but she's a devout atheist like me. I'm proud of her. She's the best medical examiner in Philly.
Speaker 11: Anyway, it's been a long day.
Speaker 13: Listen, we have something for you. Tada, So what do you think? It just arrived?
Speaker 14: Duncan thinks it's an alien?
Speaker 11: Tilt the camera, Frankie.
Speaker 15: Frankie thinks it's a frank.
Speaker 11: Oh, it's not a prank. Pull back, Frankie scroll from head to toe.
Speaker 13: Poor woman, it's a woman.
Speaker 11: I think. So it's hard to tell over FaceTime. Maybe I can come by tomorrow and take a closer look.
Speaker 15: Sure, that'll be great.
Speaker 11: Just so I'm clear, there was no information, no return address.
Speaker 14: Nothing, no, no.
Speaker 13: She came in this box, just totally anonymous.
Speaker 5: Shall we stop.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 19: Today is August the twenty third, nineteen sixty nine, and I'm here interviewing Francis Pollard has brought hospital night and Gal wins.
Speaker 8: It's all right.
Speaker 14: You can call it an asylum for the criminally insane, because that's what it is.
Speaker 19: I'm here to help you better understand your your situation.
Speaker 14: No doctor, No, you're here to answer a question.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully together we will answer many.
Speaker 8: No, just one.
Speaker 14: Why would a mother come to the conclusion that the world would be a better place if her children were dead?
Speaker 5: That's the question.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, all right, Mum and dad, if you stand on either side of.
Speaker 5: The girls, all right, like this yet? Yeah, just like that it Maud, move a bit closer on the sofa.
Speaker 20: I'm Mary.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 14: Everyone confuses.
Speaker 19: Sorry about that, Mary, about you and your sister have a lot of fun confusing people.
Speaker 6: Ah, No, I'm married. No, I'm married.
Speaker 8: Enough.
Speaker 4: Okay, a big smile everyone, three two one.
Speaker 14: We had a happy life. We were a happy family until.
Speaker 10: Relax, Francis, just relax, Have another sip of water, the better.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: Do you want to stop now?
Speaker 14: No? No, I want to carry on all right. It was the summer of nineteen fifty seven, our last summer together. Our twins Mary and Maude were everything we ever wanted. It was a good year for us. For the whole country. In fact, the war was over, we had a new queen on our throne, and we just bought our first car on higher purchase. It seemed like it really was a new era where everything was possible. My husband, Thomas was an engineer. He worked at the local car factory. Was a good, steady job. We enjoyed simple pleasures, you know, family outings, picnics by the lake, church, social events, we went to Saint Luke's. But most of all we enjoyed going to the pictures around New York, especially Hollywood movies from America.
Speaker 6: I want to go to America in there. Why no, you don't. You're only seen it because I said it.
Speaker 11: No, not, yes, you are.
Speaker 14: Girls. We had everything we needed, and yet Thomas.
Speaker 5: What about Thomas Francis?
Speaker 14: There was Somehow did I ever really know him?
Speaker 5: What do you mean, Francis?
Speaker 6: You're such a good girl? You know, I think Matelda needs a brother. Good idea, Mary? Hey, Dad, can we get a boy dog? What we can name him Cliff?
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, no, no more dogs. No, but listen, I've got something even better for you. Come on, come on, girls, follow into the garage.
Speaker 5: Is this another invention?
Speaker 11: Daddy.
Speaker 9: No, no, it's not just another invention.
Speaker 5: It's the invention.
Speaker 9: This is my masterpiece. You ready, Tella, Well.
Speaker 11: What is it?
Speaker 9: This is our future, girls. It's a refrigerator motor, my original design, so it will allow fridges to run longer and more efficiently.
Speaker 8: Do you have any other inventions?
Speaker 15: This is my masterpiece.
Speaker 14: So that's how it started with a fridge motor. He took it around the trade show as we tried to find investors. No one was interested. As far as I was concerned, it was a hobby, something he tinkered within the garage. I didn't realize then that.
Speaker 5: What didn't you realize, fancis.
Speaker 14: That it would lead to the end of everything. Fancy a cup of tea?
Speaker 5: Love?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 14: One evening we were watching television. The girls were upstairs asleep, and suddenly Matilda, our dog, began running around in circus bark.
Speaker 4: Mantilda calmed down, Helmos got into her.
Speaker 9: Eight until they come here.
Speaker 14: You expecting anyone?
Speaker 9: It's probably someone collected for something, all right or right?
Speaker 10: I'm coming.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, hello, there are you Thomas Pola? If not, I've got their own half.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 13: I'm Frankie. Hi. Hi, I'm an alcoholic.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'd been sober, well semi sober.
Speaker 12: For you know, about three years, but the last six months have been, uh been pretty rough on me.
Speaker 13: You know, I got divorced. Well, I mean it wasn't consensual, you know.
Speaker 12: He he left me, which was probably a good decision on his part because I'm a complete mess.
Speaker 13: But you know, I'm I'm.
Speaker 12: Also a fighter.
Speaker 20: So here I am bagels.
Speaker 16: I've got bagel, Good morning yesterday.
Speaker 14: Here you go, duncan oh?
Speaker 15: I stay here? The best?
Speaker 16: Could you remember this extra cream cheese? Yes, we're all going to have high cholesterol. Now where is she in the back? Come on, so, Frankie, how was your date last night?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 16: Shit, you forgot Huh?
Speaker 8: Poor guy.
Speaker 13: He'll be fine. He's a straight man on tender. He probably had another date lined up right after. Besides, I'm preoccupied with who Banil?
Speaker 11: Frankie, you got to stop thinking about him. It's over.
Speaker 14: No, not Banil.
Speaker 13: I was thinking about Matilda, who.
Speaker 15: She named the skeleton Matilda?
Speaker 16: You name the skeleton Matilda?
Speaker 11: It's cute?
Speaker 16: Any reason?
Speaker 11: Why?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 13: Not really, It's just sort of came to me.
Speaker 12: Okay, there she is, that's her in the box.
Speaker 15: And I still think it's an alien.
Speaker 20: Mm hmm, this is wow.
Speaker 16: The bones are so thick. See here, the first seven ribs are completely fused. They're thick as baseball bats.
Speaker 21: Right, I've never seen anything like this?
Speaker 15: Who is she?
Speaker 14: Not she? They?
Speaker 11: Maybe?
Speaker 8: Wait?
Speaker 14: Two people?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 16: Look at the neck here in the conjoin twins connected like this, just stacked on top of each other, their organs would be crushed.
Speaker 12: I mean, she's not a conjoined twin, She's not a giant.
Speaker 8: Who is she?
Speaker 16: I don't There is one other possibility?
Speaker 11: What I have to call?
Speaker 14: Doctor Lee? Who my boss?
Speaker 16: Can you stop by?
Speaker 5: Is there a better light back here?
Speaker 15: Maybe turn on the overheads they're already on.
Speaker 11: Oh maybe it's just my eyes.
Speaker 5: No, that can't be possible.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, to say it?
Speaker 16: Say what it's FOP right?
Speaker 5: FOP yes?
Speaker 16: Or to use the technical name fibro dysplasia osipicuns progressive.
Speaker 14: My god, there's only been a handful of cases.
Speaker 13: Really in your whole career.
Speaker 4: Ever, and you have no idea where it came from.
Speaker 12: No, she was sent here anonymously.
Speaker 5: Well I need to know more. Can I take her back to my office?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 12: Sorry, it might be helpful I know, but it was sent here Esda to me.
Speaker 5: Is this about credit?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 12: Actually, I'm the curator of this museum.
Speaker 5: Who else has seen it?
Speaker 16: Just us break it down for me, Doc, What is FOP?
Speaker 15: I mean?
Speaker 12: If what you're saying is true, if it's so extremely rare, then finding the owner of this skeleton shouldn't be too hard, right, Okay, let's see For the next week, I researched every known case of FOP I could find Harvard Medical Journal, July. It turns out FOP is an extremely rare genetic disorder that causes the body's soft tissue to transform permanently into bone. In other words, a second skeleton grows on top of the first. Early doctors posited that it was the result of two souls trapped in one body. Hi, I'm calling about an old case of a child with FOP back in the early seventies in a village called Mattie Carrey. Okay, this might sound kind of strange, but basically, in nineteen seventy two, in the small farm town of Mahdi, Care, India, a boy named ragu Basi Maadra was born with FOP. Some of the locals worshiped him as the reincarnation of the god Vishnu.
Speaker 13: You knew the location of that skeleton at this time.
Speaker 11: Sorry unusual cases.
Speaker 12: My apartment slowly transformed into a science lab. I pinned up pictures of bones on the wall, surrounded by anatomy textbooks and medical journals. If someone walked in on me, they'd think I was a doctor, or a serial killer, or just a lonely woman desperate to connect some dots and that our next guest is.
Speaker 8: Great.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, my ex husband, the Neil, a professor at Penn, was on TV promoting his new book about ancient religion.
Speaker 18: With you, and we'll just jump right in with the first question.
Speaker 11: Does God exists?
Speaker 4: It would depend largely on what you mean by God.
Speaker 15: You know what our next move is.
Speaker 17: Right's speciall exhibit display her display the skeleton for the public, you think, I know, it'll get people talking, and who knows, maybe a real academic.
Speaker 15: Will show up.
Speaker 13: I'm a real academic.
Speaker 17: Well, you're also a curator, and it's your job, your responsibility to bring asses through the.
Speaker 13: Door, isn't it asses in the seats?
Speaker 15: You know what I mean?
Speaker 17: Besides, I'd already said yes, you spoke to the board well, I floated the idea, Duncan.
Speaker 15: It'll be fun.
Speaker 17: We'll have a party, red carpet, paparazzi, like a respectable museum.
Speaker 15: Hi, I'm Duncan. I'm the assistant curator here at the museum.
Speaker 16: Wow, this is quite the turnout.
Speaker 14: Oh no, cute boys.
Speaker 12: Well, Duncan is around here somewhere passing out wine and cheese.
Speaker 16: Pass although I could use a drink.
Speaker 11: Shit, franky.
Speaker 12: Sorry, it's okay, I'm a I'm back in the program. Really yeah, well, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 16: Come on, let's go.
Speaker 13: Check out the star attraction.
Speaker 12: Okay, s D is right, it is quite the turnout. More than two hundred visitors have flooded the mutter to see Matilda.
Speaker 16: There she is.
Speaker 12: The skeleton is presented, simply positioned upright behind a thin wall of glass.
Speaker 16: She's kind of beautiful, don't you think like it a Tim Burton way.
Speaker 21: It's true, she is beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Hello, are you Thomas Pollard? If not, I've got the wrong hat, yes.
Speaker 5: I mean no, No, you do have the right house. I am Thomas Pollard, Mark Whitney.
Speaker 4: I'm a friend of father Tim from Saint Louis.
Speaker 9: Well, if it's church business. Perhaps it's my wife you want to speak to.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's you, Thomas. May I come in. Well you see, father Tim told me all about your invention. Oh right, well right, I may be able to help you.
Speaker 9: Well, yes, yes, of course, come.
Speaker 4: On Ina, mm hmm.
Speaker 9: Hm, oh, Francis, this is mister mister Woodney.
Speaker 4: Oh well, but I hope I'm not interrupting, I think missus.
Speaker 14: Part No, no, no, no, no, it's I was just going to make a coop of tea.
Speaker 9: Can I make you?
Speaker 4: If it's not too much trouble? Yes, that well, that that would be lovely.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry mister.
Speaker 4: That's quite all right.
Speaker 5: He we dog come here, stopped dad.
Speaker 9: I don't know what's gotten into her.
Speaker 6: She doesn't like you.
Speaker 14: What what you doing down here? You should be in bed?
Speaker 5: Maude?
Speaker 4: What a lovely name? Hello, little miss I'm Mark Marred.
Speaker 14: Off you go upstairs?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: Can I take Matilda?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 5: Off you go go on, good night, good night, maud.
Speaker 14: Well, I'll make a cup of tea. I didn't like mister Whitney from the start. He was too rehearsed, and the doult didn't like him either. I didn't trust him.
Speaker 9: Mister Whitney, how can I help you?
Speaker 4: That's the other way around to us. From what father Tim tells me, you're a bit of an engineering genius.
Speaker 9: Oh well, go as far to say that.
Speaker 4: You know, I double don't be modest. I want to see your refrigerator engine.
Speaker 11: Why's that?
Speaker 4: Because I'm a businessman.
Speaker 9: You see, it takes barely any time to warm up or cool down.
Speaker 4: It's certainly more compact than I've seen before. Some beam an electrologue aren't marketing anything this small?
Speaker 9: Well, hey, you've done your research.
Speaker 4: Well, As I said, I am a businessman. Have you Have you protected it? Have you applied for a patent so no one can copy it?
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, no yet, No, there are still few little niggles that need to be sorted out.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 4: I should apply for protection. You know, I can't stress how important that it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, look, i'll tell you what. I'm going off to London next week. If you give me the schematics, I can pop into the patent offers and I can just you know, get things started for you.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, you don't have to do no, no, no.
Speaker 4: You know, no expense on your end. I mean, we can sort that out. Later. But you really must do this to protect yourself, you know, and your family.
Speaker 18: Morning, Philadelphia Today is Friday, October eighth, and in today's Talk of the Town segment, a strange story from a local oddity called the Mutter, a museum dedicated to.
Speaker 14: Medical abnormalities.
Speaker 15: Their latest arrival.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm watching it.
Speaker 16: It's like a human Good morning, Philly.
Speaker 13: Remember they're doing the segment.
Speaker 22: On prepare yourself morning. We got another box delivery box. I think it's got something to do with Matilda. Really, just get out of bed and come down to the museum. I'm dying to open it.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, well, well don't open it, just wait for me.
Speaker 5: What have you got there? Jill?
Speaker 7: What are you playing with my locket? Is there everything inside it?
Speaker 8: Uh? Hum Remaine, if you're safe?
Speaker 7: Wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 8: Jill?
Speaker 7: Why don't you tell me about?
Speaker 6: My name is mart?
Speaker 7: Did you?
Speaker 5: That doesn't mean everything?
Speaker 8: She's heard me talk?
Speaker 14: Please let the child speak.
Speaker 6: My name is mart.
Speaker 7: All right, Maude, tell me about yourself.
Speaker 6: My name is Jill and years old. We are eight years old. We live in Hacksome, England.
Speaker 11: We ride bikes.
Speaker 2: The Sisters is a Goldhawk production presented by Realm in association with Lights Out, created by Brett Neatchen and written by Brett Neatchen, John Scott Dryden and Mack Rogers. Frankie is played by May Whitman, Francis, Helen Baxendale, Mark, David Morrissey, Duncan, Miles Heiser, Thomas Lee, ingleby Stay Karen Chay and the psychiatrist David Holt, with sound designed by Adam Woodhams and original music by Seymour Milton and Sasha Putnam. The script editor is Mike Walker for Goldtalk Productions, the producer is Emma Hearn, and the director and executive producer is John Scott Dryden. For Realm, the producers are John Brooks, Fred Greenhall and Nicole Otto, and the executive producers are Molly Barton, Marcy Wiseman and Julian Yapp. Find the full list of credits in the show copy. Realm is Your Portal to Another World. Listen away.