Speaker 1: So I went to the Glamour Women of the Year Awards, and I want to talk about it. You know, I've been very lucky and grateful to have been in interesting rooms lately. Like I told you guys about that L'Oreal experience. Now they're a forty billion dollar company, and what I experienced in Paris was the culture of a company that transcended an entire event, taking over a landmark in Paris. And believe me, you know, I say when something sucks, I say when something doesn't land And I was moved that a company of that size can connect to the customer and have me being there as like an interloper and you know, a newbie and feeling like that they really wanted everyone to just feel themselves and be empowered and acceptance and like the types of things that Doved has done in their campaigns. But a lot of times brands, remember when Target changed their floor or bud Light that scandal. When people do things and it feels like corporations are doing it because they're checking the box, they're doing what they should do, but it doesn't feel like they're doing it because they really want to do it. It feels like someone's breathing down their neck and telling them they have to do it. And sometimes it doesn't hit because you want it to be the true culture of a company, to be inclusive and to support women and to support the LGBT community and to want women to feel their worth. And you hear all these situations about different brands that are there only for thin people or pretty people, or you hear this stuff all the time. So my experience in Paris was like, Wow, I was part of something amazing and I really gained respect for this company. So then I go last night to this event, the Glamour Women of the Year Awards and much a great magazine and they are all about women. And I've been to this event before and they honor different women, like and it was all about confidence this year, and it's athletes and philanthropists and moms and and you know, these types of events are always on a weeknight in New York City in a location. It's always like a bar that has some wine and maybe a signature cocktail or you know, no full bar. It's always a lot of speeches and you know you're trying to be patient and it's good, but you know it can drag on and it's always gives a little bit of like entertainment meets corporate. So I go to this Women of the Year Awards event and I was truly blown away, Like I want to support brands and celebrate corporate culture that is creative and finds a way to connect through this messaging. So gltamor's about female empowerment. But if you don't message it right, it sort of becomes just another event. And this was not just another event. This is also important for you who own business owners or want to be your own publicists or want to market. They did this event this year at a fraction of the cost of last year, and it was so much more inspired. They got this freestyle group I have to find out the name for you. That it was for women that were sort of just like beat boxing and like pitch perfecting and meddling and rapping and celebrating each of these women that were honored at the Women of the Year Awards, people like Pamela Anderson and Sophia Bush and young women speaking out about being sexually abused, and women speaking out about black women dying during childbirth and miscarriages, and like, they managed to make this event that was so meaningful, entertaining. What's her name, the one from a cookie from Empire. Anyway, she's spoken up and she was talking about being disruptive and when like people tell you to be quiet, you talk louder and like to be able to land an event where people are learning some thing, You're being inspired, you're hearing about tough, tough issues, and also be entertained, and not only entertained, but like it felt like a gospel choir moving through this room in your body. And then they honored all these moms and it was Billie Eilish's mom, Beyonce's mom, and Travis and Jason Kelsey's mom Donna Kelcey, and it was their speeches were like my favorite of the night. I couldn't believe the way Tina Knowles spoke about being a mother and the privilege and the honor and the gift and the emotion she had, and Donna Kelcey about all she ever wanted to be was a mom, And like the videos they put together of the people's kids honoring them, it just was like this woman, Samantha Barry is apparently running Glamor magazine. She just got a promotion. She was so charming and nice. On the carpet, she was beautiful, but like they know what they're doing over there, Okay, whatever they're doing, like Team Glamour. And the event made me feel good and I met so many interesting people in the room. You wanted to talk to people, you wanted to hear about people. You know, there's a woman on TikTok, Denessa Myriks, like a beauty influencer, makeup artist, and she came up and she was so sparkly and grateful to me. And you're meeting people in fashion and you know, this woman walked up to me and she said, you worked the hell out of that dress or you you know, effectively, like you ate that dress, my dress. And then I start talking to her, asking about her and she created the me too movement, like to hear that story. You know. It was just such an incredible evening and it felt good and it made me feel like, Wow, women are and I'm not. You know, sometimes women can talk about female empowerment and if it's discussed in a way that is too touchy feeling, people get turned off. Myself included sometimes on that like boss Bitch cultures talked about or like female empowerment women supporting women. It doesn't it doesn't hit if it's not delivered in a in like a really really authentic and edgy way.
Speaker 2: And let me just tell you something.
Speaker 1: When women are together and powerful and articulate and clear and not complainy and not whiny and just like and just like I've got this, don't fuck around with us, it is so amazing. And that's what the event was like. It was like the not it was like the not fucking around crew. And when those moms were speaking, like the Donna and Billie Eilish and Travis Kelcey Beyonce was in the room and like not wasn't about her at all. Bill wasn't about Billie Eilish, Like they were the understudies. The moms were the full stars. And I loved that too, like they just did everything right. Everything was like quiet but yet disruptive. And you know, Anna Wintour was in the room, and you guys know I talk about her being the Hbic of all hbics, and I've like it's almost like I've never I was in this room of her last year, but she like skated out quickly, and I always regretted not saying hello to her, like what exactly what I say to her? And I'm just fascinated by her and intrigued by the power that she's yielded and wielded and like that yielded wielded, and I just got up and I was like, you know, I say, you're the hbic of all hbics. Now I don't even know the she knows what that means. And I wasn't gonna like give her like a lexicon. She may literally not know what it means. She may know what it means. I have no idea how hip she is. I have no idea. I don't think she knows. I don't know if she knows who I am. I have no idea, Like I literally don't know. But she said you look amazing or you look fantastic, And like, did I think she meant it? It was sort of like she was just like saying it, but not in a disingenuous way. She just it was like matter of fact, like you look amazing. She said that to me. I felt like I looked good. Okay, so let's just put that to the side. But me looking good in someone saying it to me and Anna Wintour saying it like, I think you buy that at a charity auction, which would wake it ridiculous because then it wouldn't be authentic. And that's absurd that I just said that. But like Anna Wintour, the only thing that Anna Wintour in my entire lifetime has ever said to me is you look amazing. And I keep wanting to say fantastic, because it sounds like she would say fantastic and not amazing or beautiful. But she said you look amazing. I believe it was amazing. I'm putting you look amazing dash Anna winter on my tombstone, like because that's her brand. And Anna Wintery does and say look amazing to people. If she doesn't think they look amazing. She could say a thousand things. She could say nice to meet you. She didn't even say nice to meet you. She said you look amazing. So I don't use a stylist, as many of you know, and I don't. I've borrowed maybe once or twice in my entire career, just because it's like a last minute thing or something is so great, and I always offer to buy it, by the way, but sometimes I can't buy it because it's like a company thing and then I have to borrow, which was one of these times.
Speaker 2: But I don't use a stylist.
Speaker 1: I pay attention to like what I want and how I think I want the hair to go with the outfit and what I want to do, and I give direction to the hair and to the makeup and to the outfit.
Speaker 2: And I'm proud of myself. I shot my own closet.
Speaker 1: Everything I wore with the look that Anna Wintre said was amazing was in my own closet. The shoes are years old, the necklace is years old.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was proud of myself. I had a great fricking time.
Speaker 2: I really did.
Speaker 1: Like I'm it was like Loriel and like I go there and like if I'm going, I'm going, I make a meal of everything. Like literally, I make chicken salad out of chanel. If Chanello doesn't let me in, I make chicken salad out of it. I go in and I'm like, I'm here.
Speaker 2: We're talking. We're walking.
Speaker 1: People I know left early, you know, in the beginning, and like they wanted me to leave with them, and I was like, I'm staying. I want to experience this. And it was one of the greatest nights of my life, Like it was amazing. But I just mean, like, if I'm there for Loreel, I'm giving it, I'm bringing it. I'm here, I'm present, you got me out, I got the hair at the makeup. Let's go, let's meet, let's greet, Let's be valuable in the room. Let's utilize the opportunity. That's how you should be with everything. If you go go, if you don't stay home and stay home, like we're there, I left, we use gas, we put makeup on. I was did knock on my daughter's volleyball game, which is you know, I don't miss Usually I would only do that for Glas. I'm a Women of the Year. So I went and I'm gonna give other people my time, my attention, work the room, and be a valuable asset.
Speaker 2: Otherwise I'm staying home. And that's how I treat everything.
Speaker 1: And so many people brought up my walk from Loril, which I just want to tell you guys really says do it.
Speaker 2: Your way, Like what I looked happy, I was happy. So people are like, goes, I'm super you didn't you happy? What are we?
Speaker 1: It was supposed to go be miserable. And this is not a swipe, I Kim Kardashian. I'm just remembering that she had that super tight corset and like it was painful and beauty is pain, And like, I don't think beauty is pain. I do not think relationships should be pain, and I do not think beauty should be pain. Beauty is not pain. Beauty is authenticity and integrity, and beauty is happiness. Beauty is not pain.
Speaker 2: No more than.
Speaker 1: Relationships should be work, hard work. Relationship should be effort. They should not be pain. Okay, So that's what I thought about that the kids workload with the homework now with these kids is they're stressing out. They got they can't they have no free time, like it was not like this when I was a kid. They get home, they're freaking out. They've got practice after school, they get home at six seven o'clock, They got a shower, they gotta wash their face, they want to eat, then they got to do homework, like they're exasperated. You have to keep an eye on your kids with the mental health because the workload can sometimes be insane. And then these sports programs, you're not getting into a college unless you're doing sports and extracurriculars and the academics and then the sports programs on the volleyball teams.
Speaker 2: It could be.
Speaker 1: Thousands of dollars. I don't know how people are affording this. And then they're going on the weekends and they don't they have no time to breathe. I said to my daughter's counselor at school, her like guidance counselor, because there was a class that I wanted her to like not go to the AP version, and they were like, wow, that could affect college, et cetera. You know the decision now, because if she doesn't take the AP classes, she won't get into X school. I said, let me tell you something. She should be experiencing discomfort, but not pain. That's where we stop. Like yoga pos, you work deeper, but we're not trying to be in pain. I don't want her to be suffering. I want her emotional and well. I want her emotional health and well being intact. And guess what I did, okay without being I had no parental involvement. I did not take the practice tests for the SAT. I just walked in. I did not care about my homework. I did not want to go to college classes. I just wanted to get through. If I were doing it again, I probably wouldn't go to college. I mean I didn't based on what I do, I'm I don't. I just wanted to get through, get out of the classes. Like so, I'm not saying I'm looking for that for her, and she's learning a lot, but like, I don't want stress.
Speaker 2: There's no reason for these kids to have this level of stress.
Speaker 1: And this guy that I know was saying that he thinks that the athletic programs when people are in high school is tearing family or tearing families apart. Three kids, one mom. The mom's taking the boy to hockey, the dad's taking the girl to soccer. The other one's got violin, this one's got ballet. No one's talking to each other. Everyone's a chauffeur.
Speaker 2: What are we doing. We're out living.
Speaker 1: We're producing our lives, like producing the sports curriculum and timeline, and it's insane.