Speaker 1: The volume. The NBA eighty two game grind is done, and now the real fun begins. The NBA Playoffs aren't here, and it's time for all the high stakes drama, clutch moments, and jaw dropping plays.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting, DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered as an official sports betting partner of the NBA from the playing games all the way through to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite players and teams as they chase glory. All season long. DraftKings has been the go to spot for NBA player props and that does not stop. Now. Want to make your playoff experience even more intense, Try placing a bet on your favorite player's performance. Well they drop thirty points, forty or more, it's your call. Ready to place your first bet? Download the DraftKings Sportsbook gap Now lock in your bets. Let's make this playoff run unforgettable. Here's something special for first timers. New DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly make it a playoff run to remember with DraftKings. Download the Draft Kings sportsbook gap and use code hoops that's h oops. That's code hoops for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem called Wayne hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and y or text hope and why to four six seven three sixty nine and Connecticut help us available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or.
Speaker 2: Visit CCPG dot org.
Speaker 1: Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario, new customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkang dot co.
Speaker 2: Slash audio. All right, well, go to hoops tonight. You're at the volume me Sunday.
Speaker 1: Everybody hopeful that you guys are having a great start to your weekend, or I should say a great start to your Sunday. We're gonna be doing some film on the greatness of Steph Curry and nicolea Jokic. Tonight, I made some specific callouts on the types of ways that those guys were attacking last night. I wanted to dive into the film and look at some specific intricacies in the way that those two teams led their team to victory in some must win games on Saturday night. You guys know the joe before we get started. Subscribe to the Hoops and Out YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at Underscore JCNLTC. You guys don't show announcements. Don't forget about a podcast feed wherever get your podcast under Hoops Tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating and review on that front. Jackson's doing great work on our social media feeds on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Make sure you guys follow us there, and last but not least, keep dropping those mail bag questions and YouTube comments. We can get to them throughout the remainder of the postseason. All right, let's talk some basketball. So let's start by looking at some of the specific ways that Steph broke free against the Houston Rockets defense. Starting with a transition brush screen from Cavin Looney, which I thought was really smart. So as Steph is driving up the floor, here we have some token ball pressure from Amen Thompson about ready to meet him at half court. Watch Kevon Looney deliberately run into a men Thompson's path that allows Steph to get an angle. Now a men Thompson's body is angled completely sideways. That allows Steph to hit the gas sweet scoop shot off the glass over Jalen Green. Just those little things that Looney and Draymond I've gotten really good at over the years at finding ways to get Steph additional openings. This was an example of Steph setting his man up for a screen. So one of the things I've always talked about when it comes to setting up your man for a screen is you want to walk into his body and give him just a little bit of a shove before you run off the screen. That creates that initial bit of separation for the screener to be able to make contact. And Steph does it in this case using a give and go. So as you guys can see here, Steph's going to throw the pass to Quinn post watch how at this point he's gonna lean into a men Thompson to get a little bit of initial Separation's slow it down here, gives him that little shove. See how he just created that tiny bit of separation that gives Quentin Posts the angle to set the screen so that puts him in Thompson in trail position instead of beating Posts over the top of the screen and being able to keep Steph in front as long as he's got Thompson in trail position. Now all of the pressures on Steven Adams to contain Steph in a one on one coming downhill, easy crossover, splits the ball screen, gets into the lane, and how about finishing over Jalen Green at the rim again.
Speaker 2: With a scoop shot.
Speaker 1: Beautiful body positioning from Steph Curry to get open. This I thought was just a classic example of a shooter knowing when he's got you dead to rights, and he knows he's got you dead to rights if you have your head turned. So Draymond misses the shot. Here there's an offensive rebound. Look at tari Eason. Tarry Easton knows he's got Steph, but he's got his back turned. Steph sees it, sees Tarry turned and cuts back right behind him. Because Tario had his head turn, he wasn't prepared for the cut, and Steph was able to get an opening right there along the right wing. This was Fred van Vliet was doing a lot of like traditional lock and trail coverages with Steph, which we'll see a couple of examples later on in the show. A lot of ball pressure from Fred and a lot of lock and trail type of stuff. So Steph is getting ready to run along this baseline here, but watch just the tiny little head spin fake before he starts sprinting right here. Boom turns his head and then goes, and you can literally see just the slightest hesitation from Fred van Vliet on the spin. Watch Steph turn his head and then he goes, and there's just a tiny bit of hesitation that gets just the tiniest bit of separation that once again creates a screening angle for Quinton Post just like the MN Thompson play.
Speaker 2: It gets Fred van Vliet into trail position.
Speaker 1: Once he's got Fred van Vliet and trail position, then he can put him in jail. He's got him in jail trapped on his backside, keeps him trapped there, and then this was I thought really savvy little screen from Quinton Posts. As I mentioned earlier Kevon Looney and Draymond Green. Over the years, I figured out all these little tricks to help Steph get open. Quinton Post a little trick of his own here, sets a screen instead of spacing on Steven Adams. Sets that screen gets Steph a clean look without a close out that he just kisses off the glass. I talked about Steph attacking attacking Fred van Vliet's ball pressure, so I thought this was another good screen from Post. So on this position, in this situation alprin Shangun is preparing to go to on the ball. So as Quinn Post comes up to prepare to set the screen, Steph's gonna come off this way, and Shanguon wants to be on the other side of Posts so that he can actually catch Steph as he comes off the action. Look at the job Post is doing, hinting Shangun on that side, Shangun tries to flop. Flopping is not going to work in this series. Steph when he's comes off of that angle, now Shanggun is just a step behind because of that flop. Because of that actually that screen from post. Look at how Shangoon is just a step slow trying to catch Steph coming off, and now he's able to turn the corner. And then he also catches Tari easton right in the middle of the defense of three seconds. Watch Tari sitting in the paint. Draymond clears out. Now Tari's got to think about a defensive three seconds call, and so he steps out of the lane, and right when he steps out of the lane is when Steph is able to turn the corner and get into the basket. So there's no rim protection there. I talked about Steph attacking ball pressure. Here's an example of Fred getting up on Steph and Steph just uses that ball pressure to get dribble penetration with a quick little spin move. So here we go Fred's locked in on him. Watch how Steph uses the spin to shake free, spins off and then uses just that little bit of off arm contact to turn the corner, finishing over Shangoon at the rim. This is an example of the confusion that screening action can present a switching defenses. So we have Pods goes down like he's gonna screen for Steph because Fred and men Thompson would tically switch this action Pod slips out of it. When Pod slips out of it, Fred van Vliet's first reaction is, oh shit, I need to stay with Pods. But Amn Thompson has the exact same reaction to that slip that builds this tiny bit of separation. That's a closeout ball fake from Steph. Boom, clean, look along the right wing. I'm gonna play it in fast, in full speed one more time. I want you guys just to watch how quickly these decisions have to be made.
Speaker 2: And that's the advantage of running action.
Speaker 1: You're putting these guys in position where they have to make decisions, and you can see them both make the same decision to go with Pods on the slip Boom that creates the advantage bucket for Steph. Another transition screen, this time from Gary Payton. An example too of how I always talk about how the Warriors love the off ball physicality.
Speaker 2: It works in their favor.
Speaker 1: Look at this is a moving screen from Gary Payton just literally lunges into Fred. But again, that's the kind of stuff that the Warriors get away with, which is why they like the physicality of the off ball dynamic that the NBA allows. Steph gets downhill against Fred. The screen is set so far down this is a really tough position for Shanggun to try to contain Steph going full speed downhill. He's able to turn the corner and Shanguon fouls him. He hits the floater in one. Once again, as I talked about, Fred was in a lock and trail instead of a top lock. So a top lock is if Fred's on the other side of Steph, and if he's on the other side of Steph, he's going to force him to back cut out of the action when Looney has the ball right. So a top lock you're in between the offensive player and the ball. A lock and trail you're in behind the you're directly behind the player in the ball, and you're just trying to chase him off of everything. Steph just takes a little bit of a backward Steph step and just uses his butt to kind of just shed Fred van Vliet a little bit, gets into the action. Nice screen from Looney, clean look, and once again Steven Adams just not at the level of the screen at all, not ready for that action.
Speaker 2: Steph gets clean. That's bad defense from Houston.
Speaker 1: I talked last night about the the ISO looks that Steph liked. There were two that he liked, one against Jabari Smith Junior and one against Dylan Brooks, and again he just needed to find what the difference there is. They're not guards, They're not like ultra quick guards. They're more like bigger body players that he can break off a little bit more side to side. The bigger the body, the hard it is to change direction in tight spaces and watch out. Steph uses a downhill move and a snatchback to dribble to beat Jabari Smith. First on the crossover right, he's looking like he's gonna go left, crosses back over the right, turns his shoulders and everything. And when he turns his shoulders, that gets Jabari Smith's head and his shoulders to turn towards the right hand to drive. Then he crosses him up. Now he's at a position. So now Steph knows Jabari Smith's going to be in a recovery athleticism position, meaning Jabari knows he's gonna get beat. He's gonna be sprinting back here to try to beat Steph to a spot closer to the basket. That's a perfect situation for Steph to set up a pullback dribble boom, and once again, Jabari Smith, bigger player, not going to be able to change direction as quickly Steph's able to break him off to get separate. Here's the ISO against Dylan Brooks, same sort of thing. A little bit more weight for him to shift side to side, right to left crossover. Look at the feet, Look at the feet on the crossover done, it's over right there, It's completely over all of his weight is on that back foot, not even in position to get a good close out clean look for Steph. Those are two Those are the two matchups in their in their best lineups that he's gonna like ISOs is against Jabari Smith Junior and Dylan Brooks. This is just a classic case of hand down man down. Probably not a surprise that it involves Jalen Green. Steph Curry flashes to the top, forces a switch, immediately makes an aggressive like jab step move to create a separation, and watch Jalen Green hand down, man down and again he he's not gonna see it at the top. He's not gonna see the contest at the top. If you're gonna bother him. You gotta bother him in the shooting pocket. That late contest doesn't bother Steph. You gotta contest him early. Steph knew that one was going in. You can see him jogging back. Let's talk a little bit about the Gary Payton rim pressure element that I was talking about. So this was the first fake handoff. He actually tried the same move twice and almost made the second one too. But again, all you're triggering here is some sort of confusion between a men Thompson and Jabari Smith. It's gonna manifest in a hedge from Jabari Smith. So watch as Steph throws it, he comes off, Watch Jabari Smith hedge, lunge out, Boom, It's over now. It's at this point it's a clean driving angle for Gary Payton gets downhill, and this is one of those situations these are in These are moments of indecision. Right, You've got helpers coming towards the rim. Right, you could easily throw this kickout pass to Moses Moody and be like you take the shot. No, Gary Payton's like I'm going to the rim. He was very decisive with his rim attacks. In the second half, they started to use Gary Payton slipping out of the blitzes of Steph in this basic like guard GUARDE screen at the top of the key. We saw this twice in this sequence, same sort of thing. They read it here, but all you're gonna see is just the two guards go with Steph both step up. Gary Payton slips, same sort of thing, same indecision. Right, Looney's cutting along the baseline. You could drop this off, but if you do, maybe shangon recovers. You could throw this kick out to Moses Moody. Well, Moses Moody was struggling to hit threes. Gary Payton said, no, I'm going to the rint. Someone stopped me until someone stops him, Like if he gets blocked at the rim, totally different story. But no one was stopping him and he just kept going right to the front of the rim. Exact same thing on this play, but with Shanegon two on the ball. Slip, same sort of thing, same reads, right, Buddy Heal's open, Draymond Green's open, Pajemski's open, Nope, decisive. I'm going to the rim. Someone stop me and then we'll make an adjustment from there. This was just an unbelievable pass from Steph Curry that developed the wide open three for Gary Payton in the right corner, just kind of like spun out of the help. So on the handoff he attacks on Jalen Green another matchup Steph likes, beats him off the dribble, draws the help from Amman Thompson. But look at how he finds the passing angle. Watch how he spins out of it. Just an unbelievable pass from Steph Curry and another massive shot from Gary Payton out of the right corner. And this is just the classic Steph Curry screening action. Let's see who you guys decide to guard. He's got a backscreen for Jabari Smith Jr. Both Fred Van Vliet and Jabari Smith are going to go with Steph done.
Speaker 2: Game over.
Speaker 1: There's Gary Payton right under the basket for the dunk, a sequence we've seen what a thousand times at least over the course of the Steph Curry era. Just an example that just just again that's there was a difference between the That was the difference between that game in game one. Game one was much more of like a really tough shot making game from Steph. This was a game where steph just picked the rockets apart with his brain and just used all these little details to get himself some easier shots that he is very much capable of making. All right, let's talk some Nicole yok Its third quarter run against the Los Angeles Clippers. So excuse me as I talked about last night. In the early third quarter, Jokic was catching James Harden sleeping off of Michael Porter Junior. Nothing special here. Just look, James Harden's got a foot in the paint against Michael Porter Junior. That's just there's no reason to run offense, There's no reason to get into two man game. Just throw the ball to the open shooter that James Harden is ignoring. Jokics rifles the pass. James Harden's close out as too late, bucket. This was that push switch that I'm referenced last night. So as you can see, Harden's back on Michael Porter Junior cuts through on the baseline. Look at just the overall lack of intensity from Harden, by the way, like look at how Harden follows this cut. Now he's gonna point. Yeah, you get him, You get him, No, Chris, you go get him, Chris, you go get him rifle pass bucket like that. That was the laziness from James Harden that Jokic was attacking early in that third quarters. That play I talked about where Yokic froze Ben Simmons on the baseline, So it starts out of a post up. Here comes the double team.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So now we have basic three on two along the baseline. Right, we have Ben Simmons, we have Norman Powell, we have Peyton Watson is under the rim, Aaron Gordon Good right corner, three point shooter, Jamal Murray Good left corner, three point shooter. So in this case you want to have to very least make someone make a three.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But look at how the threat of Yokic's passing baits both Norman Pale and Ben Simmons into freezing. And they both just freeze because they don't know who to guard. And like, look at where Yokic is looking. Look at Yokiic's head as he turns. Yokic's head is at the corner. When Jokic's head is looking towards the corner, what does Ben Simmons do. Ben Simmons lunges out towards the corner. And Yokic throws the ball to Peyton Watson, so that lookaway pass literally gave a forced bed, tricked Ben Simmons into conceding and dunk. One of the things I talked about last night, ohs how Jokic got going as a score in the third quarter using off ball attacks situations off the ball to get an advantage. Here's the first one, just a basic baseline screen, so again running Zubots through screening action double screen, going towards the corner. Chris Dunn does eventually peel off. Jokic just shows him the ball. Quickly, he resets his rhythm knocks down the three out of the corner. This was interesting because he got himself a close out opportunity to using the two man game. So he runs the two man game with Jamal Murray. Jamal Murray gets into the lane and when he gets into the lane, or not even into the lane, Jamalmurray just barely starts to turn the corner and when he does, Zubots ends up basically sinking into the lane and pointing out to Jokic. Ball gets thrown to Jokic. Jokic drives the close out. Look at this beautiful tear drop from the elbow, once again attacking off the ball with a closeout. Let's see let's gip forward ball screen two man game, same exact sequence. Ben Simmons sinks in. So the same thing we just saw with Zubots, except for this time with Ben Simmons. But watch develops the close out opportunity. Jokics drives to close out. This is just unbelievable touch over betoom. I saw someone on Twitter say like, does Yokic have the best touch in NBA history? I'm not sure if he does, but he's certainly on that list. This is that movement three I talked about going to his right. This is a tough shot. This is a shot that only the best shooters in the world, typically practicing, can make at the highest level. A movement jump shot running to his right. But look at how he runs to his right. Classic footwork right. So we're gonna get the left foot the right foot. It's always left right when you're going to your right, plants that left foot, swings that right foot around, gets squared up, straight up and down.
Speaker 2: See how he lands. Look at how his feet turn in mid air.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what every right handed shooter has got to do when he's shooting moving to his right, he's got to turn in mid air tore to square up. You can literally see him perfect footwork on a movement jump shot from a center in the NBA, nothing but the bottom.
Speaker 2: This was a weird play.
Speaker 1: It looked like Zubats was trying to pull the chair on him and Jokicic just used that as an excuse to gret great position.
Speaker 2: So Jokic catches.
Speaker 1: He goes to post watch how Zoo just gives ground like he's trying to pull the chair, and Jokic is like, oh, you're just gonna give me ground. Okay, fine, I'll just take this little left shoulder hook. This was the play I talked about at the end of the game that I thought was a really smart play from Yokic. So on the previous play, Jokic rips through right around here in the right corner, gets called for hooking Zubats's arm. It's an offensive foul, bitches and moans makes a big scene. That is what sets this up. Now he's got a psychological advantage from the refs. He knows if he makes the exact same move, and Zubats tries to catch him again that he's going to get a foul and just rips through same thing, throws his head back, gets the call and gets to the foul line, and then takes a it tries to say it's the exact same call when it was a little different because he wasn't hooking that time. But I just thought that was a really smart play to get himself an extra tip to the foul line. And then this is just Yokic greatness turning over his left shoulder out of the right block.
Speaker 2: Just classic Yo kicch.
Speaker 1: You can't guard me on an island, and if you help, I'm gonna make the right play. What are you gonna do? How about a double pivot turn around over his left shoulder. Unbelievable shot. And then for your Nuggets fans, just for fun, I decided to throw the game winner in there so you guys can remember it one last time. So yeah, really really really intelligent attack from Yo Kitchen that third quarter. And you know that's the thing I was talking about it with at the end of the show last night, like it doesn't really matter if you're up to one in a series. You gotta beat us again. You gotta beat us four times in two weeks, and Jokich is just a handful to deal with. In a game like that, he was unbelievable leading the Nuggets to victory last night. All right, guys, it's all I have for this morning. I will see you guys tonight after the final buzzer of Bucks Pacers for what should be a fun day of basketball.
Speaker 2: Will be covering all four games. I will see you guys. Done. What's up guys?
Speaker 1: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting OOPS tonight. They would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review. It's always a apreciate you guys supporting us, But if you could take a minute to do that, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: The volume m