Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ Moore episode Touchdown Touchdown Pairs. I am Jeff jonihat Witz is.
Speaker 2: On Dottie go up.
Speaker 1: What was like playing for Coche Googdom.
Speaker 2: I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 1: Pressure coming is a big trouble Doti gos motest Sweat.
Speaker 3: Bears, et Cetera brought to you by Miller Lighte with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: Well cut down day of the NFL is a very personal matter, tough day for a large number of players who go through a wide range of emotions from the expectation they might be let go to absolute shot. This episode eighty eight of the Bears et Cetera podcast is brought to you by Miller Lte. Assistant gm Ian Cunningham did an interview with the thirty third team balancing the excitement of the final fifty three in the season and thirty seven guys that essentially Tom Thayer would be getting fired sixteen could be back on the practice squad. It's not fun. He was released. You've been cut before. It's the toughest conversation you have to go through. But at the same time you're excited for the season if you're in the front office, so it's a weird feeling in the building. Can you relate to all that emotion right there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: The incredible sense of accomplishment when I was with the Chicago Bears was leaving Platteviell, Wisconsin and looking at the campus in your room rearview mirror and thinking, Okay, I got over the first hurtle and I made the football team. But the head coach will come into the room after that, fifty three assembles for the first time, and they're going to give the speech, and everybody gives it, and the same speech every year is look, this is not a finished product. This is not a finished roster. So if you think you've made the team for now and forever and you don't continue to work, we'll look to replace you. So there's always a little bit of apprehension with the good news of making a football team, but there's a certain sense of accomplishment when you walk out of training camp and you've kind of earned the opportunity unity to have a position on a football team.
Speaker 1: The practice squad will be put together announced later on Wednesday. Among the cuts that we're not going to go through each and every one. Is there anything that sticks out to you, I'll jump in right away before you give a give us your thought, but not a surprise. But I would have really loved to find a place for Reddy Stewart, the young cornerback. My guess is he'll be on the practice squad. Micah Baskerville has done a nice job both as a linebacker, but the Bears are really strong at linebacker, and he's a very good special teams player. And then at the tight end position Steven Carlson, Brendan Bates. Those are the areas that I was going to look at. But again, it's a numbers game time because as a matter of how many offensive linemen you want to keep, how many defensive linemen you keep, those are the big numbers right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, guys like Strohman who had some game action understand what a contributor is on special teams. He's a multi talented kid and can play a couple different positions.
Speaker 2: Carls Jones Junior. I thought it was a guy.
Speaker 3: That puts some ability on display in the Hall of Fame game and throughout training camp.
Speaker 2: He runs really well.
Speaker 3: But maybe he's the type of guy that could come back to a practice squad Brendan Bates, like you mentioned, I thought he really had a chance to make this football team. And if he doesn't get picked up by somebody else, maybe he will come back to the Bears, because he's definitely a guy that I would like to invest some time, some coaching, some weight room, some dietitians in because I think he could grow into a quality tight end. And we know how many injuries there are in that position. And I'm confused about the quarterback position. You got rid of ripping, you got rid of read, and so you have two guys on the roster.
Speaker 2: Who was that third guy gonna be?
Speaker 3: Do they target a guy with as on another roster on another team that they fill can come in here and fill the void, or do they still have one of those two guys as a Canada come here and be that practice squad quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's possibility both could be on the practice squad. The veteran influence in the young developing quarter back and read. So a lot of folks are wondering what was going to happen with Vaylis Jones.
Speaker 3: He kind of always wanted He left me wanting more because when Vaylas Jones Junior came aboard the Chicago Bears, we knew that he was a mature guy coming out of college.
Speaker 2: He was older than most of the guys.
Speaker 3: He has some really good qualities about him in terms of side speed, a thick body. But you know, when they gave him an opportunity as a wide receiver, he never came up with a big catch. When they allowed him be a punt returner, he made more you know, fumbles and drops than he did good secure catches. And we all know what the return game wasn't last year, but what it's becoming this year. And there's a lot of body styles that are changing in the returner and another running back.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's just.
Speaker 3: A plug and play type of position. I think you need to develop the instincts and the sight lines of a running back that can really help you turn the corner or become the running back that's expected of you, especially at this level.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the guys that I'm super happy for is Daniel Hardy. He makes the football team at least right now with Montes Sweat, Austin Booker, DeMarcus Walker, Darryl Taylor, dom Robinson, and Daniel Hardy. Daniel really put forth some great tape this preseason. Was one of the NFC leaders in sacks with three and a half. I know it's just preseason, but he had to play that way to make this football team and he did. He hustles. The guy hustles, and he could play special teams, you know, And I'm glad you said that, because the first thing that comes to mind when you talk about Daniel Hardy is israel A Donaja.
Speaker 3: Israel A Donaje was a guy that kind of could play up and down the defensive line of scrimmage. But he is one of the greatest contributors on special teams of all big guys that I think I've ever been around. And I know kickoff coverage has changed a lot, but Daniel Hardy has the size, the athleticism, the escapability, the tackling ability to go out there and be a contributor at that position and probably on punt team on the interior as well. So that's the one thing about Daniel Hardy. He created his own opportunity because when Jacob Martin got hurt early in training camp, that kind of moves everybody in that line up one person, But I mean, how do you react to that advancement in that line? Do you duck your head in the sand and hope you don't get seen, or do you raise your hand like the smartest kid in the class and provide the right answer every time?
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what he did.
Speaker 1: And Martin he would be an ir with a chance to return as he continues his rehab. Same story for Larry Borum at offensive tackle. Others on the injured reserve list symbol Webster Dante Pettis do one.
Speaker 2: Thing to interrupt you do we know the story of Colin Johnson.
Speaker 1: He's been cut, yes, so he could be signed back to the practice squad. He could be signed back.
Speaker 3: You know, he would be the type of guy that if I felt through a training staff that he's the type of guy that could stay healthy for the long term, that I would possibly bringing back on the training camp because I know that he didn't contribute until late in the season last year. And if that's the guy you always need waiting in the wings when conditions deteriorate and maybe you start running the ball a little bit more. He is a good blocker from the wide receiver position.
Speaker 1: So right now, wherever you want to categorize Dayless Jones, maybe just as a utility man. There's six wide receivers on the roster and they all are unique in their own way. Obviously with more Alan Aduonsay Tyler Scott, DeAndre Carter was a good chance to be the punt return man or the kickoff for turnman or both, and Vayless Jones the corners, heavy heavy corner. All of them can play. Jalen Johnson, Tyreek Stevenson, Kyler Gordon, Terrell Smith, Jalen Jones, Josh Blackwell all play roles. There will be several of those guys that are impact players on special teams, and it gives you a lot of depth at all three of those cornerback positions, including nickel Tommy.
Speaker 3: Probably the most important position to have depth on in the modern day NFL of any other position that you can talk about, because to me, cornerback outs of quarterback, is the most difficult position in the NFL to fine talent, and when you talk about those number of guys that are that talented, if there is any type of hiccup with injury during the course of the season, you have a plug and play cornerback that's difficult to find.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Joniak and Tom there with you here on Bears et Cetera, Episode eighty eight. It's brought to you by Middle of Like Taste Like Middle Time, Celebrate Responsibly, Midder Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two cars per twelve ounces. Okay, take me back to your time. What that moment is like from your own experience and what you've heard from others over the years when they do get that call or when you were called into Coach Wantstat's office and you know what we're gon, we're gonna move on, and you landed with the Miami Dolphins. What was your personal emotion.
Speaker 3: Such disappointment, such failure, self self failure. I was coming off of back surgery and I did I probably did and live up to what the expectations were of Tony Weiss, the offensive line coach, and Dave Wanstead and you know, Girling going with a younger group of guys. I hold no grudges before because of that. The difference is they always used to get you get a phone call from the secretary and Mary called me up and she said Tom coach Wantstead wants to see you and bring in your playbook. So there I carry in my three hundred page playbook that's in a binder that after you give it to that secretary, you know exactly what's coming next. Nowadays, they just whitewashed you from the.
Speaker 2: Tablet and you're not carrying anything in with you.
Speaker 3: So the difference in the modern day trimming down the rosters different than the old school trimming down to the roster. But like I said, I was proud of what I accomplished with the Chicago Bears. I held no grudges. By the time that I was cut, I got home and I already had calls from four teams that wanted me to fly in for a tryout, Washington Redskins being one of them, Redskins at the time, Miami Dolphins being one of them, and Miami Dolphins needed help immediately. And so when you think about the fantasy of playing on a football team that's not in the Midwest, that you see these players that are ten all year round, I was going, Wow, that may be a chance to explore the AFC passing game football that I'm not really familiar with from playing in the NFC, So I went down there and had a great opportunity to play there for a year. But that initial call that you get one of the secretaries on the other end of the phone, it kind of gives you that nervousness and the pit.
Speaker 2: Of your stomach.
Speaker 3: Whether you get a call the hey, the doctor wants to see you, or Hey, your principal needs to see you, or the dean of students needs to see you, it's one of those calls that gives you an immediate queasy feeling in your stomach.
Speaker 2: And it did.
Speaker 3: I was thirty three, thirty two years old, and I felt like I was being called into Dean Roads office at Julia Katholic.
Speaker 1: There's a great article on the Tribune on a Tuesday of my Brad Biggs. He repurposed a story he did long time ago with Jeremy Snyder, a friend of ours who used to work in the Bears video department and now in the scout for the Canadian Football League. And he was the Turk and guys would hide. They try to find veterans that may have known it was coming. You couldn't find him, but he had They had to find him. Was a face to face thing it wasn't a phone call. You had to face him face to face. So just extraordinary stories. Indeed, and I'm certain it's not that way now and it's more of a congenial conversation and you know, come to the office and here we go, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Back in our day, before the invention of cell phones and text messages and emails and that type of contact, you could hear a faint knocko ound in the platt filled dorm room at five o'clock in the morning, at five thirty in the morning, and it would be the turk of that time, would open the door, aren't say, hey, coach wants to see you, and you'd see that poor guy walking down the hallway with his playbook in hand, and then coming back to his dorm room, no playbook in hand, and with the door open inside their packing. And that's one of the most difficult things is friendships before cuts, because you don't necessarily make friendships before cuts, because you don't want to become close to a person that you're either competing against or you kind of feel that they're gonna get cut. And because that instant in time, that instant of uh, you know, you're not you you are on your way to adulthood, but you're still trying to compete to play a sport, and it's a it's a tough couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Bears, et cetera is brought to you by a P and C Official Bank of the Bears and Busy Heart Seltz your flavors for every vipe ce Responsibly Most in Course Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Okay, let's take a look at the roster.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's bigger, it's bigger, it's better, it's faster, it's deeper.
Speaker 2: Would you agree? You know?
Speaker 3: And okay, what's what's bigger, what's better, what's faster? The wide receiver position is faster. Defensive backs are fast. The linebacker position is gonna play faster because now they have experience, Tremaine Edmunds and TJ. Edwards and so those guys are going to play a faster brand of football along with Jack Sanborn and the rest of the crew. The defensive line is bigger. When you look at your Von Dexter, you will have what you have in Billings. You have what you have in Montes sweat. He's a big man, and you the rest of the crew that's gonna fit in, Uh, defensively, how they're going to fit in offensive line.
Speaker 2: Darnell Wright is a big man, so is Braxton Jones.
Speaker 3: They have some size on the inside with Tevin Jenkins and Hope you get consistency at the right guy, right guard.
Speaker 2: And you have Coleman Shelton right now at the center position.
Speaker 3: Uh. The tight end position is big with Mercedes and Uh, you know Cole and the rest of the the rest of the crew there.
Speaker 1: Matt Bryor on the offensive line, a big man who can play three positions.
Speaker 3: Huge man, big, big man. And you know the running back position's quality. I think DeAndre Swift is a great addition to this group of guys that came in here and made the position even more competitive.
Speaker 1: We always talk about players, but let's talk about the coaching staff. I think Maddie Refluse is in the right sweet spot right now for him. He's the head coach of this football team, but he's also going to be calling defensive plays and that's where his heart is. He just feels like it feels to me anyway, not from his mouth, these are my words. It just feels this is right in his wheelhouse. Okay, and he's managing the situation. He's got twenty five twenty six assistant coaches on this staff to help him out. And then you got the offensive coordinator, Shan Waldohn. He's impressed us both not only is in his demeanor, his understanding and explanation of what he wants to do, but also in what he's called, at least in the preseason balance. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know one thing about Mattie Refluse, since he took over play calling last year, that's undeniable. The defense got better, and whenever you have the head coach that's making the calls on defense, you have a certain you capture the player's attention with a little bit more seriousness. I think the addition to Eric Washington, defensive coordinator, is a great addition to the intelligence of the staff. He's a really good person. He relates really well to these football players and they have a lot of respect for him. And that's all the other assistant coaches on defense as well. Matt Eberflus is also a good influence on a young quarterback because he knows exactly what a defense is trying to do to defense against the quarterback they're playing against, and so that relatable message to a young quarterback like Caleb Williams is super influential and educational in the development stages. And listen, I don't know Shane Waldron very well yet, but from what I see out of him and the way he calls the game in training camps and the training camp games and in practices itself, and when you look at the balance and the inclusion of everybody, I'm super excited to see where this regular season is going to go.
Speaker 2: In the first portion of the season.
Speaker 1: Tastes like middle time. Go to Middle of Light dot com slash bears pod to find delivery options near you. Celebrate responsibly. Midder Ruined Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs for twelve ounces. So the owners passed a new rule that would have allowed a third quarterback to be elevated from the practice squad an unlimited number of game days. So the NFLPA rejected that. So the proposed change of a quarterback emergency role was tabled. So that impacts well you do now with the roster. So Bret Rippin, for example, he had one hundred and thirty one point four quarterback rating in the preseason look great and can look very very good, and is a veteran guy that can provide some help in that regard. So if you're going to choose address a third quarterback on game day, you got to keep him on the active roster. Now, you can be elevated off the practice squad, but you can only be done three times on game day. So how do you feel about this rule? Obviously it's about money the Union would like to pay a third quarterback, but this would have been a good move for the entire NFL given how many quarterbacks the league has gone through the last two years.
Speaker 3: One of the dumber rejections of a smart rule I've heard in a long time in the NFL. And you know me, I don't agree with a lot of these changes, But you know, just to analogize baseball, do you like to see a position player come in and throw batting practice when they're right?
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's the same thing with football.
Speaker 3: Do you want to see a clever wide receiver or a running back or whomever take over at the quarterback position if you have multiple injuries? So you have this third guy that's sitting on the sideline, and how about this put him on the roster. If he doesn't play in the game, you pay him whatever his practice squad salary is. If he does play in the game, then you elevate that week's check to a game day check Listen, Jeff, it's going to indeed multiple quarterbacks the game day roster, and like the rule says, once you put them in the game, they're there to stay.
Speaker 2: So again, just a dumb decision.
Speaker 3: I think that's failing the game day roster of the NFL.
Speaker 1: So let me say this about because people have asked me that you know, don't know all the interestcases of the salary capitold or what a paycheck is for a practice squad player. So the minimum salary is twelve thousand, five hundred a week. If you have two years experience, the minimum is sixteen eight hundred per week. Maximum salary twenty one thousand, three hundred per week, So over an eighteen week regular season, if you are on the practice squad, and if you get elevated three times your salary you don't have to be elevated three times, but your salary is anywhere between two hundred and twenty five grand and three hundred and eighty three thousand, four hundred dollars annually, more than I ever made.
Speaker 3: I mean right, got on the practice squad, never worried about playing in the games, go out there and give my great padded effort one day a week for fourteen weeks and get paid that salary.
Speaker 2: That's pretty handsome and so uh yeah, I mean listen.
Speaker 3: It creates a lot of incentive for these guys to go out there and put in the same offseason effort, in the same seasonal effort to make the practice squad as you do to make an active roster.
Speaker 1: A couple of other things, Since the twenty two quarterback class was selected, there's only two players left on their original teams at quarterback. So pick number two forty seven Skyler Thompson to Miami and picked two sixty two Brock Paridy of San Francisco League. Willis traded to the Green Bay Packers number eighty six. So this is the status of quarterback play. Twenty twenty one wasn't a heck of a lot better in terms of that too, So you really are swinging for quarterbacks. Much to your point about the rule, this league is thirsty for quarterbacks and that and three deep would be nice.
Speaker 3: It's well, it's one of the most difficult positions to scout, along with cornerback, because you don't know on cornerback if athleticism is going to compute to what you need in order to perfect the position. Same thing with quarterback. So from cornerback to quarterback. From what the college day offers these guys nowadays, they hold up a poster on the sideline, they look to the sideline, everybody gets their assignment. The quarterback collaps his hands and they run the play accordingly the terminology that you have to master as an NFL quarterback, and then how it relates to vision, and then how it relates the decision making and then accuracy. It's such a difficult position to scout because if you think of some of the guys that were less than caliber athletes of the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Brady's or the Marinos that ran a five plus forty, and now you get these guys that ran four four forty, you think that's going to compute to be in a great quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's just not the case.
Speaker 1: We are brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. All right, Tom, I gave you a homework assignment, camp balls. You're the king of the camp balls. We used to give those every day during training camp. So I asked you to do some homework here. So camp ball on offense this year, and then we'll hit defense in special teams.
Speaker 3: You go first, Okay, And I know it's going to disappoint you so much, but I have a lot of joy in this. And it's yeah, Caleb is the easy choice. But my offensive campboy ball is going to Coleman Shelton. And I'll tell you why, Doug. Listen to be easy to go to. You know, to Caleb Williams obviously, but to me, Coleman Shelton has done the most for this offensive line than any other offensive lineman. Has uncertainty at the quarterback position, uncertainty at the center. Now after Ryan David Ryan Bates had to go over and play right guard a little bit, then Coleman Shelton came in and played center.
Speaker 2: He gave consistency to the position, consistency to the rhythm of the offensive line, the responsibility of understanding how to call out all the protections when you approach the line of scrimmage, and then how to change the protection responsibilities if the quarterback has to change play during the cadence, and then just giving the quarterback some veteran leadership of a guy that knows how to play the position. So Coleman Shelton come on down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. Why wouldn't I like it? He played seventeen games for the Rams last year. He knows this system very well. Mine's going to go to Keenan Allen because his reputation preceded himself and it was everything I thought it would be. He's a magnificent route runner. He creates separation as well as anybody ever has, and he made players on the other side of the ball better. I thought we saw Jalen Johnson elevate his game because of Keenan Allen. Keenan Allen gave him props too, and so I thought they hold iron Sharpen's iron thing. That was a no brainer for me. Keenan l and I think as camp wore on, he got better and better every day, gave full effort throughout training camp. How about the defensive side of the.
Speaker 3: Ball, I'm gonna go with Daniel Hardy And this is why he's another guy that they had. He had multiple bodies in front of him, and he was in the back of the line, not in the front of the line. Now he's still in the line. And if that's what you want to accomplish at the end of training camp, there's nothing more gratifying than taking a former basketball player that puts skills on display and then repeats that performance every training camp game.
Speaker 2: Then they have a team come.
Speaker 3: In and he does equally as well on one on ones against the Cincinnati Bengals in practice and then carries it out to the game field. As soon as there's someone that's injured in front of you. In the sport of professional and professional football especially, how does that next guy in line do? Do you have to go out there and look for another body or is that guy filling the void in Daniel Hardy congratulations.
Speaker 1: On the defensive side of the ball. I'm gonna go with Jalen Johnson. The leadership aspect is popping for him. He has the ear of those guys in the secondary and as that goes, as he goes, they go, And I think his emotion spreads his confidence, his cockiness, not in a negative way, in a positive way. Believes in himself more than anybody else in the world. He looks in the mirror and likes what he sees. I think that spreads throughout a football team special teams.
Speaker 2: You know, the easy choice would be Tory Taylor.
Speaker 1: Now that's my choice.
Speaker 3: I'm not taking him, okay, But you know the by guy though, is Josh Blackwell. I would because he's another guy that plays every special teams. He could be the special teams captain every week. He makes big open field tackles. He's every every team contributor outside of being an interior lineman on the extra point and.
Speaker 2: Field goal block. So Josh Blackwell a guy.
Speaker 3: That's coming to the NFL and now he's made it multiple years because he's a top special team performer.
Speaker 2: Come on down, Josh Blackwell.
Speaker 3: You're getting the practice, you're getting the official team's ball of camp.
Speaker 1: Let's make a deal.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it recent Taylor not just because of his reputation as just an outstanding pun our great leg. You heard the kicks, you heard the booms, the placement, the accuracy. He led the NFC in net average here in the preseason at forty eight plus. So that's just part of it. It's his personality, it's his ability to handle snaps, which from a different long snapper than Patrick Scales required some adjustment. He managed that situation in weather. He managed that situation. So Tory Taylor and play a lot of football until college. None as a matter of fact. So we're just starting to see the best of this player. I think he'll be a weapon this year. Best rookie at Camp and you can include Caleb Williams, you have to. I know some people are doing this exercise and excluding him, but best rookie.
Speaker 3: At camp, best rookie at camp. You know, Brendan Bates, he's a guy.
Speaker 2: I liked him. I know he's not here anymore.
Speaker 1: But I think he'll be on the practice squad, you.
Speaker 2: Know, hopefully, so hopefully.
Speaker 3: So I I do like what I what I saw out of him, because again we talk about the versatility of the tight end position, the multiple roles that they have to present themselves in order to catch catch the coach's eye.
Speaker 2: You know, hopefully he's going to be a guy.
Speaker 3: That's either going to be in the NFL or he's going to be part of the Bears, because I do think that he's got a few a contributing future.
Speaker 1: Well, there's only so many six four, two hundred and fifty five pounders that run for six and wants to hit you and catch the football and railroad through you.
Speaker 2: And can play special teams.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, to hit you. Yeah, I mean yeah, I like that player quite a bit. And you've heard me say it time and time again. Okay, last couple of things we hit was the kickoff return. Oh, I gotta give you mind. So I'm picking Caleb, and here are my reasons. He's the real deal in terms of his per What we read, what we heard, what we what we have experienced, more importantly, face to face is what I'm gonna take my evaluation on. First of all, he never flinched. He never will. I just this man is never gonna flinch, and that's why he has the potential to be great. He grew as a quarterback throughout this whole process. I think you would agree, never rattled by that aggressive defense, and I think they gave him an earfull throughout preseason entraining camp. He talked recently in an interview about competitive stamina, reaching out to various leaders in sports. Sitting down with Michael Jordan's trainer and good friend, of ours, which we hope we can get on this podcast, Tim Grover to find out what was it about Michael. You know, he read about Kolby. He was more of a Kobe experienced guy at a younger age, didn't get to watch MJ firsthand. But are those are decisions made by somebody who understands what he wants to be and he wants to be great. So I'm going with that. And then the actual play experience, the official movements in and around the pocket, the instinctual awareness to see what's coming and keep your eyes downfield to throw the football. I just I still go back to this, the weapon way around you. Hopefully the offensive line stays together. If you just find first downs, the touchdowns are going to follow.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I'm not disappointed by Caleb in any way, shape or for him.
Speaker 2: I think he's been a cool teammate.
Speaker 3: And as much as I didn't want to see hard knocks, I like to see a little bit about the behind the scenes of Caleb Williams in practice and in meetings.
Speaker 1: So I think you went with some creative ideas. I went with the chalk you know. Oh, that's the kind of how we roll because you're you're a thinker. You're a thinker, all right, gentleman by the name of Ted Winn, he writes for The Athletic, did his own research. Since twenty twenty, the average starting position after kickoff twenty five point two. This preseason, the average starting position was twenty seven point nine. Little improvement with the new role. Again with no nobody's showing anything since twenty twenty, only fourteen percent let's call it fifteen percent of kickoffs we return for thirty plus in the preseason and went up to twenty two percent. And the thing he really realized is that speed on the back end, obviously, boss security has always got to be number one, even on this kick return. Now, especially if there's going to be bouncing balls and pop ups that are in bad weather and you happen to muffet, you gotta be on it. Speed is going to threaten that line of scrimmage a lot quicker. So you're going to see speed back there almost every time, with some variation in terms of guys can break tackles to just execute a running play. So it's trending in the right direction. Would you agree to these stats, albeit preseason encourage.
Speaker 2: You, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I like to see the kickoff return back in the game of football. But to me, if I was a special teams coach, the first thing I would do is put offensive linemen on my kickoff return because I think you can have more organized types of blocking plays that are blockers at the point of attack. They know how to sustain a block longer than defensive players do. And that's the thing about it, is the proximity of the kick returner to where that confrontation takes place. If you get an offensive lineman that can sustain a block maybe three quarters of a second to a half a second longer, you're talking about the ball carrier breaking a play for distance. Now, if you try to repetitively teach a linebacker a defensive back to have a sustained block and something that they don't do for the process of their career and their job, they're just not going to be as familiar with it as offensive players were. So tight ends offensive linemen, I would have them on my front line of blockers.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just ask you this question. There's always been a real hesitance in today today's game to put starters on special teams. Would you have starting offensive linemen on special teams.
Speaker 2: And golf return my whole career.
Speaker 3: And the answer if you're doing if you're not doing something out of fear, then you know, you know that's that's super destructive. And I'm not saying that you have to use your starters on there. You know you have backup tight ends, you have backup offensive linemen, and to keep those guys actively involved in the game is get them on kickoff return and then so so so you create a you know, we used to have a blocking scheme and offense in on in college we played a quick side and a strong side. So there was a year that I played quick guard, so that means I played both right and left guard, and I did a lot more maneuverability. And then you play strong side where there's a little bit more point of attack and a little bit more strength influence to that side. You can do it on as an offensive line and offenses back in the day. I think nowadays you can get equally as creative with the types of blockers that you have a valuable to you on kickoff return then any new part of the game.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me from play to play on a series, you'd go you the right or left?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, didn't miss up. Nope, it's trunk side, quick side, coming out of your stance. Nothing right hand, left hand, none of that matter.
Speaker 2: Right handed stance all the time, even at as the left guard.
Speaker 1: Did it tip off though what you guys might be doing. Was there a trend? Or if you're okay? That's again, every time I talk to you, there's something new I learned. I never knew you did that, So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: Where brought to you by Busy Heart Seltzer Flavors for every vibe Celebrate Responsibly most in Corse Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Coming up this week, we've got another edition of Bears Et Cetera, expecting to talk to veteran offensive lineman and now starting center Coleman Shelton. And we've got also Bears Weekly coming up as well as we'll take a look at the season opener a little bit, take a look at the Tennessee Titans. We'll have a clear vision of what the roster is at least in the first week of the season and break it all down for you on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: What do you got you don't have to shy away from I'm telling Coleman that I did pick him for my offensive player.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you'll tell them anyway. You will tell them for sure. For tent there, I'm Jeff Joniack. Thanks for listening. Everybody. Please subscribe now on the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, over wherever you get your podcast. Spear down, everybody,