Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: I'm Tim Steeveek along with Katie Greifeld. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move. Big banks reported earnings. There was a theme market volatility sparked by the trade war, leading to record quarters for traders. Goldman Stock Traders posted the largest revenue hall in Wall Street history, Morgan Stanley's Stock Traders scored their best second quarter on record, and Bank of America Traders also posted a record second quarter. Watching all of this closely, Ken Leon, director of Equity Research CFRAA Research He joins US from Florida. So record quarters for trading across the board, yet the stock reaction to the downside.
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 3: When you look at the global US banks, they performed very strongly. What we did see was not only trading, but the elevated markets means that fee income across many different businesses like acid management, wealth management, other services generated substantial year over year growth. What we are also seeing is how the capital markets can be the delta for getting stronger growth and also higher estimates expected from the street looking ahead, both for revenue and earnings. Those that are more balanced or exposed to main street America consumer and small business are likely to see much slower growth and some risk of kind of sluggish demand in the future. I think that's really the difference between the outside significant performance of Gold and Sechs, strong growth for Morgan Stanley, and then those that were kind of in between, where the JP Morgan's and then Bank of America which didn't fire on all cylinders. That's the difference.
Speaker 4: What is the driver of these financial shares? Is it the yield curve? Is actually the numbers that we get in the earnings report? Is it something else? Because I feel like I go through this puzzle at least four times a year when we got these earnings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lucky for you, four times. For me, it's every day. And we've been overweighted the financial sector really since last November, and the large banks are in the top ten of that sector. And what we've seen even in the second quarter or year to day is tremendous performance more than two times the S and P five hundred for diversified banks. But that's not the point. The key point is where do they go from here. We think the delta not only for the rest of this year, but really these stocks are going to be priced on twenty twenty six. Earnings is going to be how they do into next year. Obviously two to four rate cuts, some easing on the regulatory framework, and then also some opening up in the capital markets for investment banking. That's going to help these banks when you look at them, you know, in terms of PE multiples or what Gina was talking about the overall market, they have to earn into these valuations or multiples. When we look at more conservative metrics, which a lot of bank analysts look at because they're a conservative lot, such as priced and net tangible book value, they're pretty expensive. But I think it's earnings growth and what that does in terms of confidence that they can still have upside over the next year or two. That's the key can.
Speaker 1: I'd be remiss if we didn't ask you about drama with regard to Fedhair J. Powell, the reports emerging that he would be fired by the president and the President was seriously considered doing that. We saw a market reaction from the equity side and from the fixed income side, and then we heard from the President who denied that he would do that imminently. Yet there are certainly concerns about the way that the President feels about the FED share. We all know that what would it mean for banks if this were to happen? Would it mean anything?
Speaker 3: So I'm a global director and I look at market soul over the world, and also when you look at the bond market and really the ten and thirty year treasury, the FED really matters. It's independence, the respect and responsibility of its two mandates for inflation and full employment. I just think this is color or drama. You know. J. Powell is highly regarded. And the other issue, of course is when his term is up next year, likely probably to retire, but he could stay on for a few more years as a governor.
Speaker 1: What would happen though if he were forced out?
Speaker 3: I don't see that scenario.
Speaker 1: The President has targeted the handling of the FED renovation. What if there's something there and he can push him out through that.
Speaker 3: So President Trump's going to get a dubvish FED chairman in part, nobody's really hawkish today. The data will suggest possibly a slower US economy rest of this year, which is why we're much more positive on the delta of the capital markets, not main street America to help large banks earnings. So we're just going to have to see. But you know, overall, you know fed's going to be independent, and you know, of course we're gonna get ray cuts either way.
Speaker 4: I have a thought as to what would happen to the banks if Jerome Power forced out. You would see a lot of volatility and the banks would probably trade it ken And that brings me back to all of these training records that we saw these for Goldman and then these bumper quarterers that the other big banks put up. Of course, we know what happened in April. We had Liberation Day at the start of the month, and then we had the walk back, and it seems like that was a big boost for these banks. And the question that comes about is how sustainable is that when you think about all of this revenue that's being made, how sustainable is that?
Speaker 3: It's not the trading. You really need to focus on financial sponsors, which are the large private equity firms. They're sitting on two trillion dollars of companies they own. They have to monetize in some way and also afford the investment bankers to get that job done. That's where I would really look as a delta that we haven't seen really in the numbers and size as it relates to mergers and acquisitions, equity underwriting or other forms of transactions. Look to lower rates making it more appealing to valuation for both public and private transactions. That's going to be a bonanza for the large banks.
Speaker 1: Ken Leon, director of Equity Research yet CFRA. Thanks so much. Ken.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.