Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 3: And today on Weird House Cinema we are going to be talking about the nineteen seventy six science fiction film The Man Who Fell to Earth, directed by Nicholas Rogue and starring David Bowie. This is a film that has been on my radar for many years. I knew it had a reputation for being quite strange and according to some critics at least quite good, though I think critical opinion is divided. And I'd never seen it before, didn't really know anything about it at all, and so here we are to talk about it. I just finished it this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what I had never seen in its entirety before. I just had vague memories of catching parts of it on like a lonely after noon in the nineties on A and E television, so certainly certainly not a full understanding of the picture. I just had some visions of the alien David Bowie, and some basic kind of like meandering about in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Man showing this on TV must involve a lot of editings, like every insurance salesman in the film gets naked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this might be our nakedest film that we've covered on Weird House Cinema. It's our thirtieth selection from the nineteen seventies, and it's also pretty long. This one actually ties Perana Mandir for the longest film we've covered on Weird House. Both of those clock in at one hundred and thirty eight minutes, though initially in the initial US release of the film, there was something like twenty minutes maybe even I've seen some people talk about thirty minutes being cut off. I think it's more like twenty minutes were cut from the film for that initial release.
Speaker 3: I wonder what twenty minutes those were.
Speaker 2: I think some of the some of the naked bits. For sure. There is the Hello Mary Low sequence, so we'll get too later on. It's my understanding that was cut in its entirety.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 2: But it's weird to consider this film and cuts, as we'll discuss, like the this is not necessarily a linear plot. You know, there are this this film, you know, drifts across the peripheries of multiple genres. There are a lot of ideas in it, and this is I think one of the film's strengths, but it's also been pointed out as a weakness by its many detractors. I wanted to touch on just a couple of reviewers and what they have said about this film in the past. Okay, First up, Roger Ebert. You know, we often check in see what the great Roger Ebert had to say about films. Sometimes we agree with him wholeheartedly. Sometimes, you know, we have to agree to disagree. He reviewed this film twice, once upon its release in seventy six, and then again in twenty eleven for its re release. He gave it two point five stars initially, and then later in twenty eleven he bumped.
Speaker 3: That up to three stars, classic Ebert do over. Yeah, but in the Airplane over the Sea, Oh no, actually, I think that's a ten.
Speaker 2: So it's still always interesting to hear what he had to say. So in seventy six he wrote, quote, it requires an almost courageous leap of the imagination to take Nicholas Rogues The Man Who Fell to Earth. Seriously, here is a film so preposterous and posturing, so filled with gaps of logic and continuity that if it weren't so solemn, there'd be the temptation to laugh aloud. And yet at the same time, this is a film filled with interesting ideas. It's like a bunch of tentative sketches for a more assured film that was never made.
Speaker 3: I think that's sort of right on the money. I mean it just I think depends on how appealing or unappealing those various elements are to you. There are parts, I'd say, overall, I think I quite liked The Man Who Fell to Earth, and I really liked the other one, Nicholas Rogue movie I've seen, and there were similarities stylistic similarities between them that we can talk about as we go on. But there, yeah, there are things about this movie that it would be hard to argue they really work. Like the scene where where David Bowie's character is arguing with his human lover Mary Lou played by Candy Clark, and he gets angry and smacks a tray of chocolate chip cookies out of her hand and they fly up into the air and we see them in slow motion like the spaceships, or like the Bone turning into the spaceship in two thousand and one and then the cookies fall to the floor and they're all broken, and I think that the camera kind of lingers on that, like, oh, the cookies are broken, you know, like their souls or like like their relationship or something. I mean that is that is high camp?
Speaker 2: That is fun Yeah, yeah, like that that has to be intentionally humorous, right. I laughed out loud at that sequence.
Speaker 3: But to interpret it as intentionally humorous does take like a leap of faith, because there's no wink at you at all. It's you know, they're not There's nothing that you could use to really prove that this is supposed to be funny. Like that moment is played deadly serious in the movie itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There. I think that the main scene that jumps out as potentially having that wink is where the goons are trying to throw buck Henry out the window and they their first attempt, he like cracks the glass and falls back on the living room floor. Yes, and he apologizes too, and he's like I'm sorry, and they're like, I don't worry about it, and then they throw them out the window.
Speaker 3: To h I agree that moment clearly. Yeah, that kind of it breaks the reality a bit and becomes more intentionally funny. And yet you could get the wrong idea from what we're talking about and assume that that means the Man who Fell to Earth is some kind of farce, which for the most part, I think it's not. I think most of this movie is meant to be taken seriously to to you know, to convey emotion and drama between the characters in the straightforward way it's presented, and you are supposed to feel what the characters are feeling. So it just has these strange kind of moments where something absolutely ridiculous happens, but then it goes back into being a kind of ponderous exploration of alienation and alcoholism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Alcoholism is one of the central themes in this film, and I understand in the book it's based upon, and yeah, it's I think a lot of films you expect, you reasonably expect more of a linear progression. Scene A speaks to scene B, and so forth. This is a movie where it's like you have all these different scenes with different interactions between characters, and they may speak to each other without any real consideration of time and space. You know, It's like you're triangulating a feeling out of different points in the film.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I think also contributing to what you're saying there well. Get in a more detail about this later on. But David Bowie's performance itself, he's the central character in the movie. I would say his acting performance is incredibly ambiguous, to the point of almost feeling kind of random, like Newton is often. The character he plays in this movie is named Thomas Jerom Newton, and Newton goes through much of the plot being kind of aloof and spacey and unemotional. He sort of detached from the action. He doesn't display a lot of emotion, and then there are suddenly moments when he does display a lot of emotion, and they're not always what you'd really expect based on the context of the scene or the dramatic arc of the film as a whole. The way he sort of occasionally comes out of his somnambulent and detached state and displays emotion almost feels like like Bowie kind of like roll to die. Before he did each scene, it was like, how am I going to play this one? Rather than like reading the script and thinking what would be logical in this scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's I mean, this is especially a weird film to try and judge an actor's performance in, especially someone like Bowie, who is coming into this, as we'll discuss, you know, not a tremendous filmography under his belt, coming in mainly as a rockstar celebrity, and with Bowie especially, I've always found this to be the case, and found it to be the case leading up to this episode, trying to figure out, like who he really was. It's like that scene in Nolan's Batman sequel where you're trying to knock down or the various scenes where you're trying to figure out the origin story of the Joker. It's like a different story each time, and it makes you feel like, well, nothing is real, Like he's completely protean, He's this this shape shifter.
Speaker 3: Yes, I see exactly what you're saying. Yeah, Bowie can very much feel like that, which which is not a knock on Bowie. Of course I loved him, Bowie's music and and you know, not a knock on him despite what I just said, not really a knock on him as an actor, because despite the the kind of random displays of emotion and odd choices he makes throughout the film. It does make it harder to take this movie as a straight forward drama. But at the same time, while he sort of Bowie's contributions are kind of taking away from the movie in one direction, they are adding greatly to it in another, which Bowie just brings some kind of powerful energy to the screen and he is hard to look away from.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, anybody you look at talking about this film, they almost always at the very least praise Bowie's performance. So like when Ebert came back and revisited this film, he was acknowledging the cult status. He praised Bowie's quote unquote eurie performance and he wrote, quote it's slow going at times, and the plot isn't worthy of the performances. Too many shots of limousines and an unexplained big truck, too many unfocused conversations and offices. I gave it two five stars and seventy six That was about right, but I'm nudging it up to three stars for the twenty eleven re release. Star ratings are meaningless anyway, so consider this just a quiet protest vote against the way projects this ambitious are no longer possible in the mainstream movie industry.
Speaker 3: I see what he's saying there, So like, even though he thinks this is still a very flawed film given the convergence of a greater proportion of modern movies on a kind of like safe marketable sameness, he looks back and is like, well, Okay, they tried to do something really weird and really different, different and really ambitious with this story. And there might have been ways that it didn't quite work, but great respect for trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now. I also frequently cite the writings of Psychotronic Film Guide author Michael Weldon as well. You know, he almost always have something to say about the films we cover on this show, and you know, sometimes it's very matter of fact, like this is what this film was. Other times there's a little more or like review quality to what he's written, and this is such a film. The really interesting thing, though, to me anyway, is that he absolutely praises the film, seems to love the film and Bowie's performance in it, while also seemingly being rather dismissive of Bowie's musical career. So I'm going to read part of what he has to say reminder that this review would have been written no later than nineteen eighty three. Quote, David Bowie makes a great alien, and this fascinating science fiction film, which spans twenty five years, will be revived in the future, long after most of his derivative rock albums land in the cutout bins. Okay, Mikey, So you know, I guess some folks don't like Bowie's music. I mean, I guess, to be fair, Boi's discography covers a lot of ground.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I like it. I'm a Bowie fan.
Speaker 2: I mean it could prove true. Eventually. There may come a day where people are like David Bowie who and they're like the guy from the Manufeld to Earth and like, oh yes he's amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, that's strange musical career. Oh wow, watching twenty five televisions and screaming get out of my mind.
Speaker 2: All right, Well my elevator pitch for this one. I went through a few different possibilities, but ultimately I'm landing on David Bowie is from outer space. But like for real, I.
Speaker 3: Do think it's interesting that by this point David Bowie had already been playing an alien wasn't the premise of Ziggy Stardust that he was an alien who came to Earth and started a rock band. And then that was nineteen seventy two, I think, And then several years later he's in a movie based on this premise, but it was a movie based on a book that already existed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's almost like he was auditioning for the film with his career up to that point, And yeah, you have a better head for all the different personas he went through, because again that's another aspect of the protein nature of Bowie. It's like there are these different phases, different incarnations, and in a way, this film ends up being like another version of himself that is out there in the same way that Jareth, the Goblin King from Labyrinth is like another Bowie persona that kind of lives in the same pantheon.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not going to pretend to have a deep knowledge of all the faces of Bowie and the different personas he adopted over the years. So I know there was the Ziggy Stardust thing, which I think was more audacious and supposed to be more audacious and outlandish than this kind of persona I have seen The Men Who Fell to Earth, persona linked to Bowie's musical stage persona known as the quote thin White Duke, which is apparently one of his more odious faces. That also I think had to do with a time of his life where he had genuine drug addiction. And so I don't know, I don't know a lot about that, but it does seem like this movie sort of fits in somewhere in the mid seventies in his career and does contribute to his evolving stage persona as a musical performer as well.
Speaker 2: I read just drastically contrasting things about Bowie's performance in this Like, on one hand, I think I saw something where they like Bowie said that he was whacked out on drugs when they filmed this and he doesn't remember it. And then there are other stories where like Nicholas Rogue is like, no, no, he gave up drugs for this film and was, you know, very punctual and very professional. And then you also hear things about how Rogue apparently at one point entertained the idea of casting Michael Crichton in This Ruffle, which was just because he was tall, I guess, and maybe had a little like, but it was like that gives you some insight into what he was maybe at some point going for here, like he wanted a non actor who also had some level of celebrity status of that at the time period, and you know, and then how does that play into sort of the expectations of how this character was going to come across on screen?
Speaker 3: Is this before or after Westworld?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't, I don't remember off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: So annoying you google Westworld now and this TV series comes up. It's like, I don't want to know. I want to know about the movie. Oh, nineteen seventy three, Yeah, okay, okay, So you know that was written and directed by Michael Crichton. So it's like, I want the guy who directed Yule Brinner in Westworld to play my alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Crichton was pretty successful at the time. So I don't know. I guess it makes sense. But I will drive home that David Billie's performance and this does not feel like your typical non actor or celebrity immediately turned actor performance. There's a lot more there to consider.
Speaker 3: I think the way I would put it is, despite him making some dramatic choices, that almost seem to work against this directly. Bowie just has overwhelming screen charisma and is very interesting and believable as a performer.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, let's listen to a little bit of the trailer audio. Are you the the first?
Speaker 3: The first one? This is it?
Speaker 2: I've always been visited.
Speaker 4: Nothing you have seen or heard about David Bowie will prepare you for the impact of his first dramatic performance in The Man Who Fell to Earth. This is another dimension of David Bowie, one of the few true originals of our time. You're really a freak, I mean not unkindly.
Speaker 3: I like freaks. Is this a weapon?
Speaker 1: The weapon was too small for aniplanetary travel.
Speaker 4: Assume that it's a weapon. If I stay here, CAUSI die.
Speaker 2: You take me with you. I'll see you don't die.
Speaker 4: I can't see.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: Are I think you know?
Speaker 2: You know too much about it?
Speaker 4: Very taking me. He's just like everybody else.
Speaker 3: He's he's he's a freak. You don't understand.
Speaker 4: You might be able to save him, very lou save him, help me?
Speaker 2: Then no, love me?
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 4: The Man Who Fell to Earth is a powerful love story, a cosmic mystery, the spectacular fantasy a shocking, mind stretching experience, insight in space and sas.
Speaker 2: All right, well, if you want to watch The Man Who Fell to Earth in its entirety, before you continue on with this episode or after a week, talk about the people involved in it. Luckily, it's widely available in all formats. I'm not even sure exactly which edition I rented from Videodrome. Maybe the fortieth anniversary edition. They had like several different versions, and I think it's also available in the Criterion collection. It's been put out a number of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just streamed at this time.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump into the people involved here. As we've been saying, the director is Nicholas Rogue, who lived nineteen twenty eight through twenty eighteen English film director and cinematographer, with a noted and highly influential style, often characterized as featuring fractured editing and nonlinear storytelling techniques. He's also pretty well known for his depictions of nudity and sex in his films, but the details of this are a bit more nuanced, as we'll discuss.
Speaker 3: I think Rogue has a reputation, at least for using sex to great dramatic effect in his films, So he makes movies that have a lot of sex in them, but it's not just for the sake of depicting sex and nudity. It, more so than in most films, is sort of a scene in which dramatic relationships and interactions between characters are developed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like the flesh is not the endpoint. The flesh is a storytelling tool or a character creation, character development tool. So we'll have more to say about that as we roll on. It's really I think one of the several interesting things about the picture. Roguess cinematography credits extend back to sixty one and include such films as sixty four as The Mask of the Red Death. There's one sequence in particular. I imagine you probably noticed this as well. Remember in Mask of the Red Death we had the procession of different rooms that are different colors, and what did we have in this film? We had a similar thing pretty late in the picture, Like the penthouse in which the man who felt or earth is imprisoned, has this feel to it.
Speaker 3: I did not make that connection, but you're exactly right. In the rooms, yeah, that you go from like a well, yeah, like one of the rooms is a sort of a yellow room that is a it has wallpaper up that depicts a forest in autumn and yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So we featured Mask of the Red Death on a previous episode of Weird House, So go back and listen to that one if you want more on that.
Speaker 3: But that one was directed by Roger Corman. Right, Rogue did cinematography.
Speaker 2: Cinematography, Yeah, so I started off on the cinematographer side of things. He worked on Fahrenheit four fifty one. Then he ventures into directing with nineteen seventies Performance starring James Fox and McJagger, and then came nineteen seventy one's walk About and seventy threes. Don't Look Now.
Speaker 3: Don't Look Now is the other Nicholas Rogue directed film I've seen, which it's been a number of years now, but I remember that being a very dark and sad but very interesting and compelling horror film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm familiar with it by reputations when had Donald Sutherland and Julie Christy. That sounds right, Okay, Yeah, I haven't seen it. The only other film that I've seen by him is The Witches from nineteen ninety, which you know is ultimately a children's film, but also also very interested in anyway. Following the Manufeld to Earth, he did Eureka. In eighty three, he did I'm not sure to what, he did some sort of music video collaboration work with Roger Waters. He did a segment in eighty seven's Aria the Witches in ninety Cold Heaven in ninety one, a nineteen ninety three TV adaptation of Heart of Darkness. And then there was a period featuring a couple of erotic or semi erotic film projects I'm not sure, an episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicle Show and a two thousand and seven horror film titled Puffball The Devil's Eyeball. There's also a nineteen ninety six Sampson and Delilah movie in the mix there that it looks like it has a solid cast.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, Nicholas Rogue movie about the Bible. That sounds up my alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. The screenplay is by Paul Meyersberg born nineteen forty one. He was an apparently an uncredited writer on Roger Korman's The Tomb of i Gia from nineteen sixty four, followed by staff writing work on Conrad Rooks's adaptation of Hermann Hess' Sidharta in seventy two. Subsequent screen playwork includes seventy seven's The Disappearance Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence, nineteen eighty three's Eureka, nineteen eighty eight's Nightfall, nineteen nineties, The Last Samurai Not the Tom Cruise one, and that Nightfall, by the way, that is an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's work Nightfall. He also directed That Oh Interesting. The screenplay is adapted from the novel The original novel by Walter Tavitz, who lived nineteen twenty eight through nineteen eighty four an American novelist and screenwriter. He wrote the novels The Hustler, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Mockingbird, The Steps of the Sun, The Queen's Gambit, and The Color of Money. Obviously The Hustle, Yeah Color.
Speaker 3: So did he write multiple pool related novels?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think one is the follow up to the other. But oh, I see yeah, But yeah, The Hustler, of The Queen's Gambit, and The Color of Money were all, of course made into films.
Speaker 3: I would not have guessed that in a million years. Wow. Same writer as The Color of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we should also point out that The Man Who Fell to Earth has been adapted a few different times. This was the first adaptation, but then it was adapted in eighty seven as a TV movie with Beverly DiAngelo and Will Wheaton. And then there's a real recent TV series adaptation that came out in twenty twenty two. And it looks interesting as well and has a good cast.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's got Bill NII and Chi will tell a G four Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Bill Nye apparently plays David Bowie's character from this film, but an older version of him, So I guess it's kind of like a sequel. But again, I haven't seen it, so I don't know all the details there.
Speaker 3: Just looked it up as E four is playing somebody named Faraday. That's not a character who was in this movie, so I don't know if that's an character from the book or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's a new alien, I'm not sure. Yeah, I just saw some stills from it. Okay, but now it's time to talk about David Bowie. Yes, David Bowie plays Thomas Jerome Newton. Bowie lived in nineteen forty seven through twenty sixteen. Yeah, a legend of music and film and just culture in general, an enigmatic figure who seemed to revel in alternate personas and phases and reinvention. Again, there's this kind of protean element to his celebrity image. His music career often flowed in and out of cinema in the form of short film music videos, full blown musicals, and more. He'd had a handful of bit roles before this movie, but the manufeld earth like propelled him like lead status this movie. By the way, if I'm looking at everything correctly occurs in his discography between nineteen seventy six is Stationed to Station. In nineteen seventy seven's Low Low features a photo of Bowie from this film as the album ark.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's interesting. I wouldn't have identified that because the cover of the background is very orange, which is not really one of the dominant colors in this film. But yeah, hair, oh, that's true. You're right, the orange and the sort of yellow in the front of the bangs. But yeah, he what he's wearing sort of like a coat without a dark coat with a high collar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, side profile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a coat that he wears several times in this movie. We see him in that when he first arrives on Earth and he's like sort of climbing down a hillside in the American Southwest after his ship has crashed and he's wearing this big coat. But there are other times where he shows up, like he appears to rip torn at one point and he's just got the coat on and the hood on and he's like, hello, we're going to meet tomorrow and ripped horns like ah, and then they meet the next day.
Speaker 2: They do yeah, Yeah, it's an important scene to prepare you for that meeting. Well. After this movie, Bowie, he followed this up with David Hemming's nineteen seventy eight film Just a Jigglow, Alan Clark's Ball in eighty two, The Hunger in eighty three, which is a vampire movie, the Japanese war film Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence in eighty three, John Landis Is Into the Night in eighty five, Absolute Beginners in eighty six, Jim Henson's Labyrinth in eighty six, as well The Last Temptation of Christ in eighty eight. He plays a pilot in that and from here from there on out, his acting roles, they seem to enter it like a different phase, a lot of smaller roles. He appears in Lynch's Twin Peaks fire Walk with Me in nineteen two. He played Andy Warhol in Basquiade in ninety six, Tesla and Christopher Nolan's The Prestige in two thousand and six, a very fun small role, you know, kind of a cameo. And he also played himself in various movies and TV shows, sometimes to comedic effect, like he's in Zoolander. I think as himself that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Putting a musician in a movie doesn't always work. I think it's the kind of thing people assume would work because it's like, oh, yeah, you know, you're a rock star. That takes a certain kind of charisma, But it doesn't always translate into playing a role in a drama. But I think with Bowie it does. I mean, Bowie Bowie might have some kind of weird, some contours popping out of the role he's assigned within a script that are just pure Bowie, But at the same time he's he's clearly quite good as a screen actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we've been saying, it's just a tremendous performance. You can't take your eyes off of head. He has this like just his physicality is so strange and alluring. He has this great kind of sickly elfin energy that is even distinct and like, looking at these other Bowie roles, like the Goblin King and Labyrinth is essentially an elf you know, granted it's many years later, but totally different energy to that elfin character.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, the Goblin King is like he is in charge. He's in control. He is the dominant master of his kingdom. Bowie's character in this film is even when he's playing like a a character who is the head of a great industry and has all this money and is being driven around everywhere, he is a man who has constantly alienated, an off balance and afraid of what might happen, and not in control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we also have Ripped Torn in this film playing Nathan Brice Torn lived nineteen thirty one through twenty nineteen, American actor of stage, TV, and film, with credits going back to the mid fifties. He acted and eventually directed on Broadway as well, having studied at the Actors Studio in New York under Lee Strasberg. Early TV credits include such shows as Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Thriller. He went on to play Judas in nineteen sixty one's King of Kings. He betrays Jeffrey Hunter's Jesus. By the way, the story goes that he was originally cast in the Jack Nicholson role for Easy Rider, but got into what seems to be a very heated argument with Dennis Hopper, the details of which were later the subject of legal battles. So yeah, yeah, you can read about it online. There's some disagreements about who started what fed, who may have pulled a knife on who, and the courts had to settle it.
Speaker 3: But I can't imagine the noises Rip Torn made in this argument, because I bet they were. A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has a kind of a bestial quality to him. I think that's one of the there's a yeah, there's rip Torn has a there's an energy there.
Speaker 3: He unleashes some fearsome growls and grunts throughout The Men Who Fell to Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He played Henry Miller in nineteen seventies Tropic of Cancer. He appeared in Michael Crichton's seventy eight film Coma and in nineteen eighty two, he played the child sacrificing villain Max and Don Cosarelli's The beast Master. Very fun performance that one. But that doesn't stop there. He played a ceo in ninety three's RoboCop three, he played Z and the Men in Black Franchise, and oh, he played General Electric Ceo Don Guys on Thirty Rock And Yeah. He was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Cross Creek in eighty three. And he also, I think had multiple Emmy nominations for his role as already the producer on The Larry Sanders Show.
Speaker 3: I guess this reveals I've never seen a lot of his work, but I mean, he's got that distinctive voice, and he he's one of those character actors who can just show up for a cameo role and the lines written for him don't have to be funny at all, just like the way his voice sounds and the way he looks makes the role comedic.
Speaker 2: I think this may be the first film I've watched, the first anything I've watched with Rip Torn in it where he's not an outright villain or there at least a prop up comedic effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. This is I think the first time I've ever seen him in just a straight dramatic role.
Speaker 2: All Right. We also have Candy Clark playing the character Mary Lou, who we've alluded to already. Candy Clark was born in nineteen forty seven, probably best known for her role as Debbie Dunham in a nineteen seventy Three's American gri for which she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, only her fourth film role. Subsequent credits include Oh, A wonderful list of movies, seventy eight is the Big Sleep, A film called More American Graffiti in seventy nine, which I didn't realize was a thing. She's in Larry Cohen's ce the Wings Serpent, fabulously fung giant monster film set in New York from nineteen eighty two. She's in the Chopper movie Blue Thunder. She's in Amityville three D from eighty three. She's in Stephen King's Cat's Eye from eighty five. She's in the nineteen eighty eight Blobb remake. She is in Cool as Ice, the Vanilla Ice movie from nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a fan favorite. That's the movie where we discovered that Vanilla Ice can jump a motorcycle over a fence without a ramp. I guess he just kind of lifts it. He's faster than a horse. And that's there's like the whole racing the horse sequence there, right, Well, I believe that motorcycle can go faster than a horse.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but I don't know why. It seems to you throw Vanilla Eyes into the equation. It just raised his questions. I think.
Speaker 3: Also, that's a movie about him falling in love with and trying to date a girl whose father who's disapproving. Father is the gun guy from Tremors.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, yeah, it's been I saw a roof tracks version of this. I've never watched it straight up anyway. She plays Buffy's mom and Buffy the Vampire Slayer from ninety two. She's in Zodiac from two thousand and seven, and she did a number of TV episodes over the years as well, including episodes of fairy Tale Theater and Twin Peaks.
Speaker 3: I thought Candy Clark was fantastic in this movie. She is the human soul of the film, whereas Bowie is giving this kind of random, uncontrolled, ambiguous performance where you don't always understand where his emotional displays are coming from, or why they're happening this way this time, or or what the source of his aloofness is, what is he really feeling. She is there to be the anchor of pure, understandable, earth based human emotion, and she's quite powerful in her role.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, it's a role that's often has this kind of like raw, innocent, unfiltered feeling about it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, she's definitely the human heart of the picture, all right. We also have a character named Oliver Farnsworth. He's a patent lawyer that becomes important to the plot and eventually ends up running David Bowie's Earthly Empire, played by Buck Henry, who lived nineteen thirty through twenty twenty American actor, screenwriter, and director who worked on a lot of interesting projects over the years. His writing credits include sixty seven's The Graduate, nineteen seventies Catch twenty two, seventy three's The Day of the Dolphin, and nineteen ninety five's To Die For. His directing credits include seventy eight's Heaven Can Wait I Believe. He co directed with Warren Beatty on that one. His acting credits include bit parts in various things he wrote, but I'll single out here that he did one Tales from the Crypt episode and was also a familiar face on thirty Rock playing Liz Lemon's dad, Dick Lemon.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, old Dick Lemon. Yeah, it's a fun, fun role. He also is you know, kind of linked to especially early Saturday Night Live because he was a he hosted like ten different times.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, I think he is also quite good in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is often wearing some really distracting glasses, like reading glasses. I guess that it just like you know, total coke, bottle very trailer park boys, I guess would be the comparison to compare it to modern media.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is a tragic part where some goons come to his apartment to do him harm and they take his glasses off and he says, those are my eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a This is a good performance as well, in large part because Nicholas Rogue seems to have decided at some point it's like it doesn't matter how small a character you are in this film, we can still get in there and show you at your most tender. We can show like where your heart is, even if it's really not necessary arguably for the overall plot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a character whose role in the in the plot progression is just as like a lawyer and then a corporate functionary. But we get these moments of like him at his in his home life, with his with his partner Trevor, and they seem to have this wonderful, supportive relationship, and like there's no reason in most films that you would see this character's home life and their relationships. You just see him like executing orders that are to be done for the project.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so their relationship is sweet, and I'm ultimately glad it was included, you know, even though it's exactly the sort of thing you can imagine someone arguing for a cut. They're like, why do we need to know this? And you know what?
Speaker 3: That continue that trend of like showing surprising glimpses of home and family life and relationships with characters who had other in other stories just be purely functional sort of game pieces. That's true also of like even the sort of the I don't know if you'd call them villains, like the antagonists of Bowie's character in the movie, including like rival corporate agents and people who work for the government who were ultimately trying to enact a conspiracy against David Bowie.
Speaker 2: That's right, and that includes the character Peters played by Bernie Casey, who lived nineteen thirty nine through twenty seventeen. He was an American football player turned actor. As I've had to do before, I'll leave it to you, gentle listeners. If anyone out there knows football, you can write in and tell us what Bernie Casey's role in football was and like how big a deal he was. But at any rate, he was a football player, he became an actor, and his credits have a you know, there's a fair amount of diversity in the sort of roles he played, Like for instance, he's in nineteen seventy two's Gargoyles, a desert gargoyle film, and yes, he plays a gargoyle, like a full body gargoyle costume wearing gargoyle in this.
Speaker 3: We've talked about checking this out to see whether it'd be good for the show or not, because I think wasn't it directed by Stan Winston or something or maybe effects by Stan Winston. It was like a t a made for TV movie about gargoyles that live underground in New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's another one that I think I weirdly saw, like on A and E on a Sunday afternoon. There's like there's certain films. They're almost all seventies films, and for some reason, like A and E was really into playing them on Sunday afternoons. I don't know what it was. Anyway. He was in seventy three's Cleopatra Jones. He was in nineteen seventy six's Doctor Black, Mister Hyde, nineteen seventy seven's Ants, Exclamation Point Roots the Next Generations. In seventy nine. He was also in Sharky's Machine, an Atlanta movie that came out in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't either, but it's I'm always kind of interested in older Atlanta movies, you know, as I've explained before, like The Visitor. Yeah, yeah, yeah, The Visitor especially. He was in Never Say Never Again from eighty three. This is the second adaptation of the James Bond Thunderball novel.
Speaker 3: Did he play Felix Lighter in that?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what This was the one where Sean Connery came out of retirement, right, and there was like some sort of rights issue that allowed them to do it.
Speaker 3: That sounds right. So it was not sanctioned by the official I don't know, the James Bond media machine. It was not one of the official franchise films. It's just like, we got Sean Connery for some reason. It's legal for us to make Thunderball, so we're just gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I've maybe seen it once. Let's see what else? Was Bernie Casey in eighty eight, so I'm gonna get you sucka in eighty nine, he was in Bill and Ted. He was an under siege in ninety two, and oh, he's in John Carpenter's in the Mouth of Madness from ninety four. I forgot about this. I believe he plays one of Sam Neil's characters, insurance Buddies.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, was he his boss or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's not a not a huge role, but there there. I think he's in that sequence where they're having lunch at a cafe and a sutter cane fan smashes the window in Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a guy runs up into like smashes the window with an axe or something.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, so Bernie Casey also has some interesting TV credits star Trek d Space nine and Babbylon five sequest twenty thirty two, and also a voice roll on Batman Beyond And Yeah, like you're saying, this is another role that doesn't call for any fleshing out. Really, this is just not even a secondary character in the film, but Rogue goes the extra mile to give his insight into his romantic and family life.
Speaker 3: Wait did you mention also has him skinny dipping.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Of all the actors I've mentioned here, Buck Henry is the only one that doesn't have a nude scene. Yeah, we get this scene between and Peter's wife where they're skinny dipping, and it's kind of this dream like, Yeah, a dreamlike nude bathing scene that I guess it's probably less talked about in terms of the other nude scenes in this film, but I thought it was. It was very again, very beautiful, very dream like. Again, a sequence that shows a lot of skin, but it isn't about their skin like, it's about it's about their hearts. I know that sounds cheesy to say, it out loud, but like, like that's what it is. It's like, this isn't about their bodies. It's about the relationship between these two characters. And we can argue to what extent we really needed this insight into their their the way they feel, because their characters are not as central to the plot as other characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Again, if this were another movie, what Peters does is primarily be involved in a conspiracy to imprison David Bowie in a hotel room.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One last actor I'm going to mention here, and this is Claudia Jennings, who plays Peter's wife. She lived nineteen forty nine through nineteen seventy nine. Not a huge role, but we do get some sense of her character. We get a sense of her as a mother even she was Claudey. Jings was a was nineteen seventy Playboy Playmate of the Year and made quite a splash in B movies during her short career. So her credits include seventy twos The Unholy Rollers. I think that's a roller derby kind of a movie. A movie also from seventy two called Group Marriage, So future shock alert on that one.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Seventy three's Gator Bait, which is a swamp movie, like some sort of an action swamp movie. I don't think i've seen it, but I'm familiar with the title.
Speaker 3: Seventy eight exploitation film, sowe it is.
Speaker 2: It's a swamp'sploitation film, and I think they made a sequel that she's not in with something like Gator Bait to Cajun Justice. That's it. She's in seventy eight to Death Sport, and she's in the nineteen seventy nine David Cronenberg car racing movie Fast Company that also has John Saxon and George Buzza.
Speaker 3: Never seen it.
Speaker 2: All right. Getting to the music on this picture, it's interesting because there's a whole like saga here. There's a whole story, and there are also differing details about how it all came together. But basically David Bowie was originally going to tackle the score and soundtrack for this film as well, but apparently a variety of issues prevented this from happening. So there was like there were time issues, there were like royalty issues for some of the tracks that he was eyeballing. There were creative hurdles, like you know, we're talking about the different personas and phases of David Bowie, and it sounds like like maybe he was kind of between phases to a certain extent at that time. So instead we have a very fractured soundtrack, which I think ultimately fits the film and was intended to capture a diverse sense of American music. But we have two chief individuals contributing tracks here. The first is John Phillips, who lived nineteen thirty five through two thousand and one, and so yes, this is John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas. He wrote most of the songs that we associate with The Mamas and the Papas, as well as what San Francisco be Sure to Wear Flowers in your Hair, though I'm not sure was that a Mama's in the Papa's song without somebody else performing it?
Speaker 3: I don't know anyway.
Speaker 2: He was also one of the writers on the nineteen eighty eight Beach Boys song Kokomo for the Tom Cruise film Cocktail, and this was his first picture as a composer and probably the best known of the handful of films that he composed for. Now, I assumed that Phillips was ultimately going to be responsible for only the folkier tracks and the rockier tracks on here, and certainly he does give us the track Bluegrass Breakdown, which you can listen to on You know that you can stream this soundtrack wherever you can get your music. But he also did an excellent electronic track on this titled Space Capsule, so that that track I really liked as well. But then we have other tracks contributed by Stomu Yamashta born nineteen forty seven. We talked about him previly on Weird House Cinema as he did the montage music for Phase four, the Weird Saal bass Ant movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I'm trying to remember what the music for that movie was like, I don't quite I remember the visuals far more.
Speaker 2: But Yamashta it is a Japanese percussionist, keyboardist, and composer known for helping defuse traditional Japanese percussive music with Western prog rock in the sixties and seventies. He was a member of the super group Go, alongside such names as Steinve Wynwood, best known for the track Higher Love, and German electronic music pioneer Klaus Schultz. Yamashta also recorded also scored I'm Sorry nineteen eighty two's Tempest, starring John Cassavetti's Susan Sarand and Molly ring Wald and rawl Julia. So his musical contributions on this film are are also really interesting and also kind of varied. Two tracks in particular is one called Poker Dice, and there's another one called One Way.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just thinking about how different this movie would have been if it had had a David Bowie soundtrack. That seems like that really would have changed the effect of it. And I guess we don't get to know exactly what that's like, but I expect that would be more than a superficial change in the experience. It would be significant.
Speaker 2: I found that in just thinking about this movie, just knowing that I was even going to watch it, having not watched it yet, I still had myself constantly earwormed with Space Oddity and then also the Flight of the Concords parody song Bowie's in Space without even listening to these, like, you can't help but think about Bowie's music when you're thinking about Bowie and even in his acting work.
Speaker 3: All right, we ready to talk about the plot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this man's not going to fall to Earth on his own. We got to help him.
Speaker 3: So this is not one of those movies where it would make sense to discuss things seen by scene. Instead, I think what I'm going to do here is give a short synopsis of the whole film, and then we can come back and focus in more depth on things that stood out to us. So basically, the plot goes like this. A spacecraft crashes down in a lake somewhere in the American Southwest. I think it's in New Mexico, and we see a hooded figure emerge and make his way down a hill and through these ruins of an old mining town and into a currently populated town. And this is David Bowie, and he looks human. In fact, he even speaks English, and he speaks with a British accent. So he is an alien disguising himself as a human. He's trying to blend in. He doesn't want to be found out, and he goes around telling people his name is Thomas Jerome Newton and explains some of his weirdness by claiming that he is British.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's rural New Mexico, so everyone's just like, all right, that sounds about right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yes, the British are known to levitate. No, he doesn't levitate. So he immediately starts trying to get money, which is interesting. I'm like, oh, why is he trying to get money? Like, he tries to sell some jewelry at a shop, but he can't get what he wants for it, so he ends up meeting with a lawyer named Oliver Farnsworth. Farnsworth is a patent attorney and Newton brings with him schematics for a number of technologies on which he wants to take out patents and these are all revolutionary alien technologies, things that we can't do on Earth at all yet. So Newton quickly becomes a multi millionaire and he becomes the head of a corporation called the World Enterprises Corporation and hires Farnsworth to run the company for him. So now he's rolling in money. And Newton rides around in a limousine, remaining polite but aloof like he is nice to people but does not form any intimate connections and is always awkward and reserved. But that changes while he is on a visit to a hotel hell somewhere in the Southwest, he meets a woman named Mary Lou played by Candy Clark. She is initially a worker at the hotel where he's staying, and he has like an episode in an elevator that the elevator is going up and he is like, I don't know, rendered woozy by the g forces of the elevator or something, and collapses on the floor and she carries him. She picks him up and carries him to his room and then takes care of him once he's there, and they form what at first seems to be a fast friendship, Like they hang out talking all night. I think they play cards or something. She takes him to church and she introduces him to her favorite drink. Gin Bee Feeder is a brand with a serious presence in this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess this is kind of a shame because prior to this, he's he's always turning down alcohol and insisting on water. He's like, as we learn, he's from a desert planet where there's little to no water, and so the mere fact that anywhere you go they offer you a water, He's like, yes, please, I'll take six. And then she's like, you know, you could just be drinking gin and he's like, oh, well this is great, I'll do this now.
Speaker 3: But Mary Lou does not know that she is causing severe harm to him by getting him to switch from water to gin. But yeah, that is a good point that early in the film, like he's always asking for like when he goes to meet with the lawyer. At first he goes to Farnsworth's house and they're like, would you like a scotch? And he's like, I'll have a glass of water if you have it, and they actually kind of amused by this. But yeah, he's always just looking for water everywhere he goes. I think there's even a scene where he dips a cup early on in just a stream of what looks like cloudy, dirty water, just like runoff running through the you know, in a ravine and the desert, and drinks it and is really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's worth noting here that this is a film that, maybe almost stealthily, if you don't know to expect it, you might be surprised that it is a film that does seem to be in a large part about alcoholism. Yeah, and I understand that they the author of the novel. Part of this was semi autobiographical, so you do see him like struggling through alcohol addiction through much of the film and having to interact in a world that also seems to be heavily dependent on alcohol and constantly enabling of his alcohol consumption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. Yeah, that's right, that those are constant themes, and in many ways you could almost say that it's a story about a man who begins on a mission of supreme importance and is derailed from that mission by alcohol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and derailed makes sense too, because there is a trait.
Speaker 3: Oh, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So eventually Mary Lou and Newton their their friendship blossoms and they fall in love. Though at one point she asks if he is married, and he sort of matter of factly says yes, But they continue with their love affair nonetheless, and Newton has a house built for them on a lake in New Mexico and they start living together. Meanwhile, we've also been been getting to know Rip Torn as doctor Nathan bryce A. He's portrayed as a university chemistry professor who has a series of inappropriate affairs with college students, and he is hassled by the man in university administration, Like there are scenes of his boss getting on his back about things, including his affairs. So he leaves academia and takes a position with Newton's company, and he's sort of recruited to design some kind of spacecraft. I seem to recall a scene where he's arguing with his boss at the university about how he's like, ah, they want computers to do everything these days. Computers leave out the errors. That's where creativity comes from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he does rail against computers there for a bit, and he's like, I think I'm gonna go work with this company that's actually hiring human beings, and that, of course is David Billie's company. Right.
Speaker 3: So as time goes on, Newton in several ways would say becomes more human, like his relationship with Mary Lou deepens, but he also becomes deranged by addiction to alcohol and television. Why would he need a TV when he's got t Rex. Well, I don't know, but maybe in the world of this movie, t Rex does not exist because David Bowie needs not one, but seven TVs to watch simultaneously, and later about twenty TVs to watch all at the same time, he is obsessed with television.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like sometimes there's just a random TV. Like there's one scene where he's watching TV and like a shack and it's just sort of like haphazardly stacked on some kindling.
Speaker 3: Now, eventually both Nathan, Bryce and Mary Lou figure out that Newton is an alien. Nathan figures it out by secretly taking X ray photographs of him while they're talking about work, and then when he goes to confront Newton about this, Newton admits it. And actually in this scene, that's the scene you were talking about, which I think I want to get into more detail about in just a bit. But basically, in the scene, Newton explains his mission, this is why he's on Earth, and he says, quote where I come from, there's a terrible drought. We saw pictures of your planet on television. We saw the water. In fact, our word for your planet means planet of water. So Newton's home planet it's all dried up, it's a desert, and he is here for Earth's water. I think, not to steal it all and kill us, but to somehow do something to get a significant amount of water back to his home planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, you get the sense that he's not greedy. He just knows that there's so much water here that he can easily well not easily, but the big challenge is how to bring it back. But clearly, like we could stand to lose some of it and it would make an enormous difference for his people.
Speaker 3: Newton also reveals what he is to marry Lou in a different set of circumstances. He reveals himself to Mary Lou, I think as a kind of atonement after they have a fight and he is mean to her, and this leads to a bizarre reptile pupil alien sex scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, following a rather weird sequence where he begins to take off all of his like fake human parts, including using tweezers to remove his contact lenses that hide his reptile highs. This movie seems convinced that the way to take contacts out is with metal tweezers, which I found particularly horrifying to think about, because you know, I've been wearing contact lenses for like thirty years at this point, and I've never used tweezers to take them out. Thank God.
Speaker 3: Now, eventually Nathan, Bryce and Newton complete the spacecraft that they've been working on. But just when Newton is getting ready to depart Earth, a conspiracy against him is unleashed. So there's like a shadowy government organization I don't know if it's the CIA or what. And also a consortium of rival corporation have like joined forces to do something about Newton. I honestly don't recall exactly what triggers this, do you.
Speaker 2: No, there's kind of there's this whole sequence where he's, you know, Bowie seems to be about ready to board this spaceship and we're like, all right, let's do this, let's take off, and then it doesn't happen, and everything feels fractured at that point, and so you kind of have to piece together what is happening and what happened.
Speaker 3: Right, So, they the bad guys kidnap Newton and they sort of old boy in prison him. They lock him in a hotel room, and then scientists come and do experiments on him and try to study his body, and they treat him cruelly, Like there's a scene where they're they're trying to look at his eyes and he's like, no, don't do X rays on my eyes, and they do, and it fuses his contact lenses to his eyes so he can't take them out. So now he can't reveal his real reptile eyes. He's like stuck with human looking eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they kind of treat him like child. They're not even like really treating him like an alien prisoner. It's more like he's a child who's been grounded. But they keep giving him alcohol to make him compliant with these various tests, and presumably they never really learned much of anything from him, right.
Speaker 3: And there's a scene where like when they finally get the X rays, they're all like grinning with these evil faces while you know, while he's clearly there suffering. But yeah, they just keep shoving beefeed or in his mouth to keep him compliant. They also unfortunately murder Oliver Farnsworth and his lover Trevor by throwing them out of skyscraper windows. And also for some reason, they throw out the barbell that Trevor was bench pressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird because that out the window. I don't know it just I guess it made for a nice sequence. It's it's so weird looking back on this now, because again the film takes the time to develop Farnsworth and his partners as people that you care about to some degree, but then they are dispensed with kind of comedically, and so you don't feel as bad for them as you might. Like you might think a scene like this would be would be played more for tragedy's sake, and it's it's not.
Speaker 3: This is the scene where like Buck Henry, I mean, he's good in the scene. He's quite funny, where like they throw him against the window and he's like, oh, sorry about that, like apologizing that he didn't break through the window as he was supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a great, great Buck Henry scene for sure.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so Newton is imprisoned for many years and finally Mary Lou finds him. She comes to visit him, and they briefly rekindled their love affair in a bizarre series of scenes, but eventually she starts asking him about his wife and family back home, back on his planet, and they decide they do not love each other anymore, and they go their separate ways, and Newton escapes his prison, but now he has no hope of ever getting back, ever getting the water back to his home planet, or ever seeing his family again, so he takes a sort of a sharp right turn. He becomes a musician and a recording artist of some kind. We never actually see him playing music. Instead, we just see rip Torn go to a record store and listen to one of Newton's albums. And then, in the final scene in the film, Rip Torn finds Newton drinking on the patio of a restaurant and asks him about his music, and Newton says it's his only chance of ever speaking to his family again back on his planet. He's hoping they will hear his music on their home planet over the radio beamed through space. And then like the waiter cuts him off. He says, you can't, you know, I think you've had enough to drink, and then he bows his head, and then the credits roll over the downturned brim of his hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ending alone, there's not a lot of wonder to it, you know, it doesn't end on a note of wonder. And I'm not saying it doesn't work. And I guess it's kind of a it take on the weary, ageless immortal trope because at this point in the film, everyone else has aged significantly, but Newton has not. Aged, he still looks exactly the same. And you know, I guess this is one more rumination on alcoholism and loneliness and so forth. But it doesn't feel particularly cosmic, So I could see where people would have differing impressions on the actual ending to the film.
Speaker 3: So one of the things I wanted to think about in the movie is the recurring visions of Newton's home planet. First of all, I would say, I don't know if it actually was, but it looks like it was shot at White Sand's National Park in New Mexico. It's got these kind of like white dunes. It's kind of a pale aracus, some sort of desert environment, and we see visions of a family with rubber skin and reptile eyes, and they are wearing still suits. Basically, they're wearing some kind of suit that looks like it's recycling water in these tubes around their skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are one wonderful makeup, wonderful weird costumes. They also kind of walk around oddly. They look like they have emerged from some sort of a fringe animated sci fi picture that it's a great look.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we see them languishing and apparently dying in the desert. I think this seems to be Newton's like fear of what is happening to them in his absence without him completing his mission. Also, a lot of the visions of his home planet involve what should we call it, the furry orange tram. There's like a train car that runs on a track through this desert. It's covered in orange shag carpet or fur of some sort, and it's sort of pyramid shaped and it has this I don't know, it has like a tarp covering to block the sun, I think, but it's a furry train.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing looking. It looks again, very seventies euro sci fi looked at this thing. It raises so many questions about the technology of these alien creatures, in the same way that you have so many questions about their biology. But I like that you have more questions than answers regarding any of this, because it is supposed to feel completely alien to us.
Speaker 3: Another thing I was thinking about with the flashbacks to his home planet, one of his Earth based sex scenes with Mary Low is intercut with what seems to be a memory of sex on his home planet, which involves, like, I don't know, rolling around in Ian Holmes's Blood from Alien there's just like this frothy white milk everywhere is really gross. But I guess if you're from his planet, it's quite romantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't know what to make out of that other than it was weird.
Speaker 3: Another thing that I thought was interesting about the film, and did involve a lot of filmmaking technique, was Newton's relationship with and eventually obsession with TV, starting with him just wanting to watch television and then wanting to watch multiple televisions at once, and he would and like you, it would cut between the programming on the different televisions showing all these sort of aspects of humanity. And there's one part where he has a sort of alcoholic TV freak out mom where he's like drinking and he's watching twenty TVs at once and they start overwhelming him clearly and he starts screaming, get out of my mind. But I wonder where this comes from.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's this It's interesting to look back on pictures like this. There are various pictures I can think of off the top of my head that do get into this idea. You know, sometimes for comedic effects sometimes for fantastic effect about just how overwhelming it suddenly felt like to have access to especially cable television or even satellite television. You know that very well may line up with this idea of overchoice that we've been discussing in our Future Shock episodes. You know, this idea that's like, suddenly you can watch television all the time, and you have access to tens, dozens, maybe hundreds of channels. You can basically start watching television and not stop. And it can, I guess, feel kind of alien for us to think about this, because you know, certainly we can still watch a lot of television, as we've discussed, but I feel like our relationship with television is a little different now because we have these other major super time suck distractions via the Internet that are also vying for our attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was actually one thing about TV in this movie. It was a scene that I thought was really fascinating that I want to get into in more depth here. So it's the scene where rip Torn confronts Bowie about being an alien. So to at the scene, Newton is like hiding alone in a dilapidated shack in the desert, watching TV. He's like watching a Western, I think drinking. And then Bryce arrives and Bryce confronts him and Newton admits that he is an alien, and this is the scene where he explains his mission. You know, on his home planet there's a terrible drought, he says. He says that he saw pictures of our planet on TV, on the TV that reached his planet and saw the water on the surface, so he is here to get the water. So he knows Earth from television, which this in one sense maybe explains part of Newton's obsession with watching TV, or maybe it's just the raw appeal of TV to any sentient being that can see it. But anyway, so he explains his mission and then Bryce says to him, are you the first? And Newton says there have always been visitors. In fact, he says, even on his planet, they found evidence of visitors who had been there. And then he says to Bryce, haven't you seen them here on Earth? Haven't you come across them? And then Bryce says no, he doesn't think he's seen them, and then Bowie says, I've seen them. And first of all, like that was a cool moment. I was like, oh, oh, there have been other aliens here. But then it develops further and goes in a totally different direction. It seems to me so like Bryce seems unconvinced about Bowie saying this, and he's like, what do you mean, what's the evidence of them being here? And then I think it's sort of implied that Newton thinks there have been other alien visitors to Earth because he's been tricked by stuff he saw on TV, Like he literally has been watching In Search of and stuff about UFOs and ancient aliens and stuff like I think he's talking about Eric Vondanakan or something and bry and Bryce is like, well, I don't believe in any of that, and then Bowie just just kind of like, oh, okay, well you know there has to be something out there. But that was so so like imagine an alien coming to Earth and then falling for all of the like UFO stuff and being like, oh, I guess there have been a bunch of other visitors here, just like the rest of us seeing stuff on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that side of this scene, but even like that initial feeling of like, well, here's the alien visitor potentially confirming that there are yet other alien visitors, like in a sense like he has insight that we don't have, because he does have like some like he knows there are aliens and he can he can, you know, sort of compare with what they know on his world as well. And Yeah, I liked it. It's a nice weird section of the film.
Speaker 3: I love that the one too. Yeah, you think he has special insight, but then it becomes maybe he actually has the same insight that lots of people think they have, which is they watched in search of Yeah, I just looked it up. It wouldn't be in search because that didn't start until the year after this movie, but would have been whatever the equivalent if that wash. Now there's another thing I wanted to get into, which is Newton's relationship with Mary Lou. She obviously really loves him, she's in love with him. Does he love her? As I was saying earlier, Bowie's performance is very ambiguous. He's often kind of aloof and kind of tranquilized and seems to be not reacting to things very strongly, but then sometimes reacting very strongly and in sudden outbursts and unexpected ways. So he's often kind of somnambulent and then suddenly he shows clear warm emotion toward toward Mary Lou. But even in the moments when he does that, it feels kind of random, like other times he has these strong emotional outbursts like anger or dangerous playfulness at her, or kind of love bombing, and it's not easy to tell like why each particular emotion is coming out at the time that it is. And I guess you could just say, like, well, he's an alien and he can't relate to us, and you know, so it's hard to understand his you know, the way his mind works. But what is his relationship to the people of Earth, especially the few people close to him? Does he care about them? Does he love them?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess the feeling I got from the film is that it's it's paradoxical, you know, it's and it's and it may vary from one point to another, you know, He's it seems like one of Nicholas Rogue's approaches here in this film anyway, is that like all humans and even non human characters are complex, you know, and it's like just because they even have a reduced role in the plot doesn't mean that they're not complex people with passions and fears and moments of tenderness. So I think it's very possible, Yeah, that there are times and there there is a part of him that does feel this deep attachment to Mary Lou and perhaps that grows over time the more of an earthling he becomes. But then also he is still other. He is still an alien. He still has this family that he has essentially kind of abandoned. Like there's there's this movie again kind of triangulating different ideas, Like you have you have his character who has an alien wife and children in another world, perhaps dying because he has gone to get help and hasn't come back yet. And then you have rip Torn's character, who also has a wife and child that he is distant from and is strange from. And then we also see the Peters character, you know, the government agency guy, and we see his family, and this is an example of where the family unit is intact. And so we're you know, I think we're supposed to compare these, We're supposed to think about how these apply to these models apply to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is definitely something going on with the theme of like the families elsewhere and I think the way it resonated for me with like these weird moments of like seeing Peters at home with his family suddenly like you know, tucking his children in and then discussing with his wife whether he knows he's like, are we really doing the right thing? Is a strange moment again that you would not expect with this type of character in another movie. It's almost like it's a different way of reminding someone that even though he has shown with his family here, it's like showing you that in these other scenes where he's just doing the conspiracy, he had a family elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very thoughtful, very thought provoking film that I guess ultimately it puts a lot of the legwork on the viewer to try and sort of piece things together and figure out what is being said. It doesn't necessarily hold your hand.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I wanted to touch on the eroticism of the film again. I don't think it would be accurate to classify this as an erotic film by any sense, though it certainly makes frequent use of eroticism. We have scenes that feature male and female nudity, as well as alien in human nudity, I suppose, and they feature human nudity in a way that is generally unapologetic and frank, in ways that viewers might not be accustomed to. But Rogue again doesn't seem to be doing this just for titillation. At least to me. These scenes feel less exploitive, maybe more voyeuristic, though, because instead of flesh again being the destination of the scene as it often is in other films, especially the kind we often end up watching on Weird House, flesh is another tool that the filmmaker uses to explore a character, to explore a relationship between characters. But then this actually ends up making the scenes more titillating because they feel more genuine and actually provide insight into the inner depths of the characters on the screen. You're not just watching You don't feel like you're just watching flesh. You were watching flesh and emotion as one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say that this just seems like a film in which sex is, more so than in most films, a locus of drama itself, like it shows how the characters are relating to one another, and what their lives mean, and how what they and how the ways they relate to each other is changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I was looking at an article from twenty eleven. This was in The Guardian by Danny Lee titled good screen sex is hard to find unless you watch a Nicholas Rogue film, and the article is very interesting and in depth if for people interested in this filmmaker's work. But the article speaks of The Man Who Fell to Earth as quote, a deeply melancholy film with a strange and genuinely beautiful sex scene between David Bowie's stranded alien Newton and Candy Clark's hotel made Mary Lou that replaced the felt's heat of Don't Look Now with an existential ache and plenty of gunplay.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so this is this talking about the quote Hello Mary Lou scene where they've got a revolver involved there.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a deliriously ludicrous scene. It begins with a kind of like rough edge of meanness and potential violence where Newton has this shiny revolver and you know, see.
Speaker 3: His drink with it. He's making darkness.
Speaker 2: Drink with it, Yeah, and then like licking it. He like puts the barrel in his mouth to look the alcohol off of it. And then he's like brandishing it at Mary Lou and you know this, again, this feels potentially like it's going to go in a really horrible direction. But then the whole scene transforms into just an absurd erotic romp with a kind of a heartfelt eroticism at the core, but also just a laughable and intentional disregard for how blank fire arm cartridges work and just how basic cam gun safety works, because as they're engaging in this kind of like playful four play, they are also firing this gun at each other at like point blank range and be like beyond fo yeah, not at all safe, like, not at all realistic. Do not get any actual four play ideas from this film, but it Yeah, it's just completely bonkers but also very tender. So again, this film is like that, it's uh, you'll it'll have different energies and also the like same similar but opposite energies in the same sequence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's strange, emotionally complex. Uh yeah, I thought this. See I when you said that this sequence is part that was cut out, I was like, what they cut out that part? I don't understand how you have this movie without that part?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: But then it transitions to to Newton and Mary Lou playing tennis in this room with bizarre forest patterned wallpaper, and they decide they don't love each other anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is one of many sequences too, where there's just way too many half consumed bottles of alcohol just sitting around, like it's clear that the alcoholism is just out of control. And oh, and then there's a weird sequence in there too, where like she asks him, like, why does he drink because he apparently doesn't physically get drunk, and he's like, well, I see things when I drink. And I didn't know what quite what to make of that.
Speaker 3: She says, you never get sick. I think she means like, you know, you never hung over, But I don't know if I buy that, because he seemed hungover a lot. And yeah, but that's what she says. And then he says, yeah, I see things. I see bodies. I see the bodies of men and women as just Newton being Newton. Yeah. She's kind of scandalized by this, like, oh really.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, yes, I do remember this part. Yes, but then we never actually figure out what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the part where he's pointing the gun at her. Yes, but she thinks it's funny.
Speaker 2: So they end up going their own separate ways. Bryce and Mary Lou end up becoming a couple. They say they have Christmas together. We get a whole Christmas sequence.
Speaker 3: They're both drinking a lot, also continuing with the themes there, but yeah, they have Christmas. We have Rip Torn drest as Santa Claus in a wicker store, and yeah, they're getting ready for Christmas. And then somehow this leads to Bryce ending up listening to the record and then going to talk to Newton one last time, and Newton asks him did you like the record? And Rip Torn says not much.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it doesn't have to be good. It just has to be popular enough to get enough airplay. So those signals make it out to the mystery home planet of David Bowie.
Speaker 3: That's right. So I guess he's trying to specialize in radio ready, commercial, commercially marketable hits that have secreting code messages that his that his rubber still suit wearing family will understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, seriously, there's a lot to sort of dissect there too, like this idea that he sets out to do something to support his family, to reconnect with his family, but eventually he just tries to create art instead that may somehow reach them in a distant and non physical fashion.
Speaker 3: He came here to save their lives, he failed, and in the end all he could do was hope to speak to them again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's you know, it's powerful stuff, all right, that's the man who fell to Earth. So yeah, this is a very interesting film to look at. I'd be interested to hear what listeners think of the movie, what your relationship with the movie over the years has been. If we have any Bowie fans out there, how does it play into your understanding and appreciation of the artist?
Speaker 3: Why does he need a TV when he's got t Rex?
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm tempted to rewatch The Witches now because it's like I've seen this whole, Like I've seen the real Nicholas Rogue. I want to like, maybe watch something that is more commercial and more family oriented and see, like what did he bring to the table on that, because I don't it's been a long time since I've seen the original adaptation of The Witches has some great performances in it, some great puppetry in it, but I can't speak to like the fingerprints of Nicholas Rogue on that picture. But hey, maybe some of you listeners have watched it more recently and you can speak to that for us. So we'll go ahead and close the book on this one. But just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast, with new episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays we do a listener mail, On Wednesdays we do a short form artifactor monster fact episode, and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. And if you want to see all the like a list of all the films we've done over the years, the main place to go is go to letterbox dot com. It's l E T T E R B O x D dot com. You'll find our profile there. We are a weird House and we have a list and you can pull up all the like the poster images and the details of the films we've talked about.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer, Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.