Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Hi, How are you okay over there?
Speaker 1: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: You had quite the morning, you were chipping and falling and lip lining it up. You came in the first thing I heard is that our our zoom hadn't even started to just heart. Oh yeah, I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm doing okay. I'm glad. I'm sitting down.
Speaker 4: I feel like I might need some bubble wrap for the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Well, maybe it'll get better. We'll talk about an awesome movie. Yeah, well, all right, or or or we'll talk about this one. Let's do that. Uh yeah, so we'll well, we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Magical Rewin, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves, tsunamis and Sabrina remembered how to walk.
Speaker 2: I'm Will for Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: So this week on Magical Rewind, we tackled two subjects as intrinsically connected as peanut butter and jelly, thunder and lightning, or dcoms and Stuke Kreeger. That's right, it's hockey and girl Scouts. The classic combo leads us straight to twenty ten's Den Brother, originally released on August thirteenth, twenty ten as a Disney Channel original movie, also called the dcom folks, I don't know if you're new to the show, but that's what it's called. Den Brother finally got us out of Canada after a long streak filming there. It was shot in Salt Lake City, Utah, sending us back to this country's dcom capital.
Speaker 3: This movie may not be well remembered or highly regarded or good in any way, shape or form, but it generated three points seven million viewers on premiere night, even peaking around four point three million near the end of the broadcast. That's a big success for Disney. And yet this one has been largely written out of the history books. And again, remember what do we just talk about? Where it came out and people really liked it, but it got four hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about under Wraps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, the new Underwraps movie four hundred thousand, and this which this God, that movie was so much better than this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry if I'm spoiling it right away. I'm also in a mood.
Speaker 3: People, I'm in a bit of a mood, so it's gonna come out on this movie. And anybody unfortunate enough to walk in front of me today, sorry, but I'm in a bit of a mood.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'll I'll try to lighten it up. I can. Well, we'll see, we see.
Speaker 3: Now we have to acknowledge that Disney loves sports movies, but they sure do have a direct crush on hockey or just ice sports in general. From Mighty Ducks to h double hockey sticks to taj playing hockey and poof point to go figure, it is quite the trope.
Speaker 1: And now we can add this movie to the lexicon.
Speaker 3: And like every good hockey movie, the one question you have to ask is, Sabrina, were you a girl scout?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: For one year I was a Brownie, and I think we talked.
Speaker 2: About that a little bit before.
Speaker 4: I loved my uniform, very proud of it.
Speaker 2: I loved all the patches.
Speaker 4: I don't remember one patch I actually got, but I do remember being very very proud of them. That's my little costume, which was like a brown and orange ugly uniform, but for whatever reason, it was mine and it was my time to shine in it.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Will Yes, you were a girl.
Speaker 3: I was started as a wee blow and then I got the and then I was a Cub Scout. I was actually the local paper as a cub Scout, which is awesome. So my father was in the Navy and they're opening a new like naval center, Marine Corps Naval Center near our house, and so I went in full Cub Scout gear and as all the soldiers stood up and saluted the flag, I did my Cub Scout salute in a I took a picture and I think I was seven years seven years old or so eight years old, and it's still framed in my house at home.
Speaker 2: That is so huge. Oh my gosh, that is adorable.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: And then I was only a Scout for like a year. My dad was an Eagle Scout and then went into the military. So yeah, I mean it was it was kind of bigger.
Speaker 1: In our family.
Speaker 4: But I've always wondered, and maybe you can't answer this question.
Speaker 2: Then, So the girl Scouts have been.
Speaker 4: Selling cookies for years, like decades on decades.
Speaker 2: Were you guys selling popcorn back then?
Speaker 1: No? Do you remember no, I think I saw.
Speaker 3: I think the boy Scouts looked over at the girl Scouts and they're like, damn, they're basically drug years, So yeah, what what's our drug? Because it's like, you know they've got And then somebody went popcorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what we'll do.
Speaker 3: Is we'll give you a thing of popcorn, and we'll charge a ridiculous amount of money for paying sixty fifty for.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, but I think it is actually a really fun thing to sell too, though, like popcorn, because it's not your normal you can't get like salted and butter popcorn from them. It's like, I feel like the one I got was like snickered, like Snickers flavored.
Speaker 2: There was like they were like kind of candy. One was like a like a fruit loop type one.
Speaker 4: Two. And I'll tell you that I tasted all of them. All proved very good, great great gifts. Great gifts for you all.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say you are from a popcorn attict family. So that's how it is.
Speaker 3: But yes, I loved I loved being a boy Scout, especially I went to a boy Scout camp. I just didn't finish it out. Yeah, so well again, I just wish I knew how much it had to do with hockey. Yeah, as is commonly the case, Den Brother is available now to watch on Disney Plus, the official streaming service of Walt Disney. Well, not the actual guy, Walt Disney. He's been dead for a long time. Well, I mean before streaming services.
Speaker 1: At least. I wonder what he'd even think about streaming services.
Speaker 3: I mean, I didn't know the man sot to stay mystery, but watch now, watch later. Either way, rest in peace, Walt. With that in mind, Sabrina, I ask you, did you know Den Brother existed before it became fodder for you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: And honestly, we talked about it within the last recording that that was going to be the next movie.
Speaker 2: It had mentioned that it had girl scouts.
Speaker 4: I honestly thought we were going for another spooky movie and the Den Brother was going to be like a long lost brother found in a den. So this was a big shock for me.
Speaker 1: I thought I was gonna have something to do with bears. I did. I did.
Speaker 4: Telling you the title, it makes sense as soon as you get into the movie really quickly, but if you're just looking at it, you have no idea what to expect.
Speaker 1: No nothing whatsoever. Even after I watched it, I still didn't know what to expect, if that makes sense. This film was directed by Mark L.
Speaker 3: Tayer and actor turned director, best known to our listeners as mister Fulton in a High School Musical two or Hank Ogden Eddie's Really Awful Dad in Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff. He has an uncountable amount of acting credits from Mash to Innerspace to Honey I Shrunk the Kids, but on the director's side, he's only done a handful of experiences, with this being his only full length movie, and it stars Hutch dan Oh, which might be one of the coolest seventies cop names ever, which is yeah, it's just an incredible name. He plays Alex Pearson, and it's best known for his time as skateboarder Zeke on the Disney TV show Zeke and Luther. He also appeared on Sweet Life on Deck Okay, wait, Sweet, that's They're on a boat right, They're.
Speaker 4: Ok not the reboot, but the spinoff spinoff thinks Okay, gotchaw?
Speaker 3: God, that's okay, Now It's on a boat Shameless, and the genre movie Zombieavers Wow. Ok I don't know what Zombieavers is A I'll guarantee you we're watching it and be I'll guarantee it's better than this movie. Then you've got Genevieve Hennelius, formerly known as g Henelius, plays Emily Pearson. You may know her from a bevy of Disney related shows like Sonny with a Chance, Good Luck, Charlie, Hannah, Montana, and most notably, she played Avery on Dog with a Blog. She recently appeared in the hilarious Netflix show American Vandal and is the voice of Rosebud in the Super Buddy Dog movies.
Speaker 1: Rosebud, do you get that? That reference? You don't get there? You don't get that reference? Whispering Rosebud?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Have you not seen Citizen Kane, what's arguably considered the greatest film of all time.
Speaker 4: I think it's been twenty seven hundred years since I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so witty whispers on his deathbed, Rosebud.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, Okay, that's making a little bit more sense. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Maurice Godden is Professor Pearson.
Speaker 3: He is a veteran actor with credits on Seinfeld House, Wizards of Waverley, Place and Modern Family in twenty sixteen, which is his last listed job.
Speaker 1: David Lambert is Goose. Lambert played Talk to Me Goose.
Speaker 3: Lambert play made Brendan Foster on the hit TV show The Fosters for over one hundred episodes, and was also recently seen on the show Good Trouble.
Speaker 1: Kelsey as Beale I want to Say is How You say? It might be as Bela, but it's Kelsey as Bial formerly known as Kelsey chow Is Matisse.
Speaker 3: She played Gigi on One Tree Hill, but she's probably best recognized by her listeners as Mikaela on the kids show Pair of Kings, but you can now see her on a massive TV show. She plays Monica Dutton on Yellowstone and Another Vet. Deborah Mooney plays Missus Jacklits. Mooney's career really took off in nineteen eighty two when she appeared in the classic movie Tutsie, one of the greatest films of all time, and would later appear in Dead Poets Society, seinfeld Er, and she played Edna on Everwood. She's still working, recently appearing in three episodes of Inventing Anna. But beyond everything else, Let's talk Turkey.
Speaker 1: My friends. How long was this movie? Will the entire cast and crew need to sit in the penalty box? Or did we hit the target? Dennon brother Runs eighty nine minutes one off the ballside, but on the right side of history. So close yet so far, but still very impressive if I will allow it. It was the only good thing about this movie. And right this was not a good movie. Again, maybe I'm just a movie and writing credits, we have a story by credit a tribute to Michael Horowitz. He was a writer producer on shows like Burn Notice, prison Break, and the Disney Plus TV series reboot of Turner and Hooch, and the teleplay is accredited to James Kreeg, a writer has written the words I've personally said in many animated projects. He's also worked on live action shows like Monk and Supernatural, while writing on animated staples like Justice League, Crisis, Teen Titans, Go, DC, Lego and Ben ten and one, two, three, four Yep, done them all. We've mentioned that once before, as he was a writer of Frenemies.
Speaker 4: We will be taping a live episode of Magical Rewind at Disney California Adventure Park on December fourth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: If you live in the Southern California area or if you can be in the Southern California area on December fourth, we have an opportunity for you to join us. Between now and November twenty fourth, twenty twenty five, you can enter for your chance to win tickets to attend the Coast one of three point five private holiday party at Disney California Adventure Park on December fourth, twenty twenty five, including an overnight's stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotel for a family of four and two day, one park per day tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park.
Speaker 4: Plus you'll have the chance to meet us while we're taping an episode of Magical Rewind inside Disneyland California Adventure Park.
Speaker 3: Visit Coast one of three five dot com forward slash Magic Rewind now to enter for your chance to win. And so let's hit the ice and prep for Camparee. It's time for Den Brother.
Speaker 1: We jump right into it, diving into the lemon Oaks Ice Arena, announced as the home of the Icehounds, and it is packed. The announcer for the Ice Hounds Radio whose name is our newest entry in the decom name Hall of Fame hands mcat Helper. It's no Jackal Johnson is calling play by play and boy for a high school hockey team. They really have some dedicated fans.
Speaker 3: I think they have more people at their games than the Arizona Coyotes in the NHL. He points out their sloppy play and wonders why there's star players on the bench. And we see the star player take the ice. It's Alex Pearson. He immediately scores, completing a hat trick. The coach gazes at him during a timeout, but it's four to three, they're still down one. There appears to be a little rivalry with Titus on the other team, and Alex is ready to stick that puck right down his throat. Over the speakers, the announcer asks why can't every player be as good as Alex, which seems like really a mean thing to say when you have the power of an amplifier and you're watching kids play and now skating down the ice, Alex and another player from his own team, Goose, are fighting for the puck. Eventually, the teammate confusion throws them to the ice, causing a turnover and the opposing team scores Ice Sounds lose five to three. We're now back in the locker room. Alex is just a little too joyful for being on a team that just lost. And this was the start of me just really hate this guy.
Speaker 1: It's just again, maybe it was the mood I was in, but he he's very unlikable through most of the movie.
Speaker 4: I honestly was going thinking his buddy was the main character, that this was not the guy that we were gonna be in any way rooting for throughout this movie. Yeah, And truth be told, I never once did root for him. I just thought he was such a schmuck.
Speaker 2: Like I was just like, you're a douche Canoosh, I don't I hope she never dates you.
Speaker 1: I mean, and he doesn't really learn anything. Even at the end, I mean he kind of does. They kind of throw it in, but it's like, this guy's just an for like eighty six of the minutes of this movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, although the parent seen in this it does wishy wash, but there's a point, there's two like moments we're going to get to it that I was like, I love that. I'm actually gonna keep that locked in here that that that like sentence, that moment that that so the parenting was.
Speaker 2: Actually not bad.
Speaker 1: These were not awful parents, not awful, right, I don't like Yeah, but I don't think they'd ever be in the in the in the hall of fame. We have no no.
Speaker 3: I mean they're clearly the dad especially is clearly just kind of absent. Yes, but at least he tries to put the hammer down. I don't know, but yeah, so yeah, Alex is joyful on the team that he just lost. He explains to his friend Goose, who he treats like for most of this movie, that it's just not about wins and losses. He selfishly focuses on his impressive personal play, but he apologized for the earlier bump, and Goose thinks they should have won the game, but Alex braced the news that they aren't a good team. They won't make the playoffs, but he needs to keep playing like this. If he does, he'll make the high school All Star team. Alex has little to no care about what his team does. He's just trying to shine on by himself. Yes, now, after the game, we can't hang with Goose. He has to take care of his sister Emily on his bike ride home. Much like on the ice, he doesn't care my for etiquette, uning over missus jack Lit's front yard flowers, she disapprovingly says hello, and he basically just bikes off without saying anything.
Speaker 1: Move number. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Already in the first nine seconds of this movie. When he arrives home, his dad is in a hurry. He has a lecture in twelve minutes and needed Alex home to babysit. We meet an older lady Inger, the housekeeper, who was my favorite part of the entire movie, and we learned that Alex's dad is too busy teaching five classes a semester to attend his games, which clearly bothers Alex, which makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He also needs to pick up Emily.
Speaker 3: From her bumblebe meeting tomorrow at four, and if there's ever an emergency, he's told to call the neighbor, missus Jacklitz, the one with the damaged flowers. Now with dad gone, Emily wants to watch Mister Bunny, but Alex quickly changes the channel to extreme sports. The fight for the remote ends with Alex just getting his way. Emily gives him dough eyes and then mister Bunny is on after all, and I liked the relationship the two of them had with yes, and.
Speaker 4: We're seeing a little bit of a soft spot and it's kind of it's starting to calm down for me.
Speaker 2: I'm eating him less and less.
Speaker 1: He obviously gets along with the sister. He you know, it's he's not being a jerk to her.
Speaker 3: So it was very cute, and it feels like both these kids have a little power and manipulation issues.
Speaker 1: But it's working.
Speaker 2: I haven't met very many that don't say exactly.
Speaker 1: That, kids that don't. At Lemon and Oaks Elementary.
Speaker 3: The next day, Alex arrives to pick up Emily from Bumblebees, only to find out that the group has just been alerted that they're being shut down.
Speaker 1: Troop fifty seven is no more.
Speaker 3: The girls are clearly bummed, as the dead mother Missus Moffatt explains, they'll be split up into existing troops all over the city, but the girls are all best friends and have been.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was gonna say this for later. Who is this movie for to me?
Speaker 2: At this point, I'm thinking the movies for the little sister, so the.
Speaker 3: Movies for little girls. So they made this movie for little kids to watch, little girls to watch. Yes, then why are they concentrating so much on hockey and the brother.
Speaker 4: And because the storyline and truly what the like aspect of the movie is is around the troop, and that's a younger demo, but they're using an older But then because I did, I kind of went wait a second, all right, so and a lot of his hockey players were cast pretty old looking. I thought like they were mature looking. However, one of my favorite movies, Troop Beverly Hills. The main character is an adult.
Speaker 1: So right, but Troop Beverly Hills is all girls. So if you're an adult mom, you can go watch Troop Beverly Hills. If you're a twelve year old girl, you can watch Troop Beverly Hills. Who the hell is this movie for?
Speaker 3: Boys aren't gonna want to go watch a movie about little girls that are that are doing the stuff like that, And little girls aren't gonna want to watch a hockey movie about older dudes playing hockey.
Speaker 1: Who did they make this movie for?
Speaker 2: I think the little girls would still join in because of the girl scouts. But yes, the little boy, this was not a well rounded like demis.
Speaker 1: I still don't know who the hell they made this movie for. Yeah, I'm sitting there watching the whole time. I'm like, is this for little girls? Is this for teen boys? What kind of movie is this?
Speaker 2: Well, it's definitely not for teen boys.
Speaker 3: I don't I just did not get because the lead character is a teen boy. It starts with hockey and then it goes and I'm just going, who don't I don't know who they made this for, Like, I don't get this movie.
Speaker 1: Who did they make this movie for? Anyway? Yeah, I just so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're splitting up Troop fifty seven. The girls are all best friends though, and have been friends, have been together forever. Missus Moffatt then gets a call leaving Alex with the troop. He tells them that one of their mothers is for sure gonna volunteer, so he wants to see their sad faces so they can guilt them into it again. This is a very high on manipulation kind of movie. One girl in the troop, Rachel, gets praised for her facial attempt, but she's just has resting face. Emily realizes the whole situation is gonna make camperee the most important Bumblebee event of the year. Impossible With that, Missus Moffett returns, but she's got to leave. She leaves the troop with Alex to watch over them until their parents arrive. He is clearly unwilling, but is left alone anyway. The girls want him to continue running the meeting, but he has a lot to do. There is no way he's going to end up being their designated dead mother. And then we get an optical flip.
Speaker 1: Gotta love an optical flip, and he is the dead mother, sitting at least temporarily sitting in the circle and learning about Troop fifty seven sunflower that you hold every time you want to talk, which is a straight up reference from Lord of the Flies. Yeah the conk anyway.
Speaker 3: Alex is already throwing the rules out, letting girls wear trs and encouraging one to dress like a vampire bumblebee girl and next up, screw this talking sunflower.
Speaker 1: No need. He asks one girl teeny what she wants to do, but there's no answer.
Speaker 3: Another girl suggests they look at pictures of cute boys in her team Beat magazine, which Alex isn't thrilled about. But the idea of a go for it is thrown out and the troops seem solid on that it's when they try a new activity, craft or skill, and of course Alex loves this idea. We cut to outside where the hockey star is walking with them, sporting a smirk on his face. This is also our first look at the Bumblebee uniforms. They are striped yellow and black, very much making them look like bees. What did you think of the uniform Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I thought they were cute.
Speaker 1: They were cut and the little girl who.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't talk at first, is one of the cutest girls I've ever seen on screen.
Speaker 4: She's Adora, so adorable and honestly, she to me, even though she didn't say much, she really like captured me a lot.
Speaker 1: She was about the movie, I thought, I thought, that's the same thing I thought.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the entire troop was so cute.
Speaker 1: And the little girl who plays phenomenal, she's a great actress. The little girl who plays this syst.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I thought that.
Speaker 4: I thought the cast did actually really well with this movie, even though I didn't love the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, yeah, but yeah, the kids were great. The kids were really great.
Speaker 3: They arrived at the skating rink and Alex starts a little hockey practice, which is unsurprisingly very messy, ending up with all the girls in a pile up, but Alex is still praising their good effort, just in time for his dcom appointed bully Titus to skate up and call him a dork. This guy also insults the the ice hounds, turning into a traditional hockey fight right there on in the all family ice rink, the girls cheer on Alex, but eventually he's dropped to the ground.
Speaker 1: Of course, off camera, you just hear a thump and then he's dropped to the ground.
Speaker 3: Back at home, he's right because I knew they I was like, oh, oh, they're grabbing shit. They're actually gonna throw a punch. But no, no, Back at home, he's resting with an uncooked steak over his eyes. Emily tells him it was the best Bubblebee meeting they've ever had, and asks if their mom was alive, would she take Emily to her meetings? And yes, we have an official dead mom alert either way. And again, this is twenty ten, so they're they're starting to use this more. But then they're changing it in under wraps. It's like they can't figure out which way to go with things. Remember it was like they specifically said he was divorced and under wraps, and it's kind of like, why did.
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 3: But okay either way. She's very thankful that Alex can take her to her meetings, and she gives him a kiss on the cheek. It's a very sweet little moment. Back at school, Alex and Goose are talking talk to me, Goose when Alex bot's a pretty classmate Matisse in the hallway.
Speaker 1: Goose senses this and becomes edately angry.
Speaker 3: Just because Alex is good at hockey, he's allowed to date anyone he likes, why keep pursuing Matisse?
Speaker 1: She doesn't like him.
Speaker 3: Alex brags that he's starting to wear her down, which doesn't sound like the best meat cute ever made, and makes his way over to her, but she's a tough cookie. She doesn't seem to want to have much to do with him, even citing that he stole the puck from Goose and lost their game. Despite this cold interaction, he still asked her out for Friday night, but she doesn't even let him finish. She is quote doing something and I love that. It was just kind of like, yeah, I'm doing whatever I can to be away from you. Like one character who saw this guy, and in the last ditch effort, Alex lets her know he's a hot commodity on campus and many girls would die to go out with him, which girls love to hear.
Speaker 1: By the way, I've found in the past, you know I'm pretty hot, you should date me.
Speaker 4: Well, this was just like, I mean, he hit another level of douche like he just he just kept getting worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, douche level accomplished weakly yep. Matisa, unimpressed, trips him to the ground, which frankly might have a little aggressive.
Speaker 3: Now back with Goose, he blames the response on not having a car, which wasn't mentioned anywhere. He wants to borrow his dad's because that'll apparently help. He knows his dad won't necessarily let him, but he plans on thinking outside the box. And now it's time for another Icehounds game, but Alex isn't on the ice yet. He loves to have his own grand entrance, which is something the coach should stop, but he is basically alex Number one fan. And then when he does come out. It's almost like he's on the nineteen ninety one Chicago Bulls. Also worth noting, despite being a mediocre team with one star player, every seat is filled. There's a cheerleading team, a mascot T shirt guns for Alex. He even has his own sponsor, Moses Roses. And now even the coach is fed up. This is all too much and as a result, the referee warns the coach he'll either suspend Alex for his actions or every player will be bench.
Speaker 1: For the rest of the season, and just like that, Alex is sent back to the locker room.
Speaker 3: At home, Alex's dad is disappointed, and Alex agrees how he's supposed to make the All Star team Now No, Alex's dad is disappointed in him as a son, and like the true narcissist he is, Alex makes it all about him.
Speaker 1: He's the victim for having initiative.
Speaker 3: He even says this is because his dad wants him to pay for his own upcoming car insurance. And with that, Alex jumps on the couch, nothing left to do but just wait for the suspension to end. But his dad is not going to allow him be lazy, so he puts him to work in the front yard. Finally get this dude doing something right, yikes, And later Emily pulls Alex outside to see something. A few of her fellow Bumblebees have arrived for a meeting, but he could care less. He runs off to play Madden Football, ignoring them until they force themselves into his room. None of their parents took the bait. They don't have a new den mom. They ask Alex to walk them to the community center. There's a Buddy Troop party for basket decorating, and that Buddy Troop as a junior helper one of the Bumblebees sisters, Matisse. Alex's face lights up and he completely changes his tone. Basket decorating. Absolutely, he loves basket decorating. He is in and I've never in my life said basket decorating more than I just did. He rushes the girls over to the community center, where the activities have already have already begun. Alex immediately spots Matisse, and she's surprised to see him as a Bumblebee mentor. He admits it's not a very guy thing to do, and so he jokes about that, but she thinks it's great. The other troop dead mother arrives. That's Dina and she's a stern leader. Dina is Vicky Lewis. Vicky Lewis was on one of my favorite shows of all time, News Radio, and she's very funny.
Speaker 1: This movie was a little the character was. It was like she was playing it like a Disney movie and no one else was. If that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she was like over the top. I actually thought this was one of my Sabrina seaes.
Speaker 2: Does she have an accent? It seemed like she had.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, like a bit of a like a Irish act, Like she was saying so many weird weird like she was saying so many words in a weird way. I don't know if it was like her character, but I thought her character was Irish, was like, why do we have to have Okay, I mean all right, because it.
Speaker 1: Didn't No, I don't think I didn't pick up an accent. I think she's just trying to be hoity toity, but it went.
Speaker 2: Away after this first scene she tried. It went away.
Speaker 1: It just Princess Leah in Star Wars another reference. You won't get there, you go, But she started British.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know you're not going to go back and listen, but if you do, go listen, are our listeners in the very interest? She seems like she has an accent. Then when you see her next and the rest of the movie, we never hear it again.
Speaker 1: All right, well I have to and now I have to go back and watch damn you damn uh. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Dina is a stern leader and with some slight witch qualities if you ask me. We'll have to see how things are gonna turn out. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Now it's kraft time. Eric sits with his girls decorating baskets. Eric jumps on his phone and calls his sponsors at Moses Roses to ask if they make baskets, and I was like what, And the other bubble are already jealous of Troop fifty seven because he's letting them do whatever they want. They're actually having fun, but Dina is not feeling it.
Speaker 3: At the same time, Moses's delivery of baskets arrives and he covertly hides them under.
Speaker 1: A table and I was I just didn't okay.
Speaker 3: He then officially meats a Dina, who insults Troop fifty seven. He praises their basket, they're unique and they're fun, but she reminds them there is no Troop fifty seven. Without Moffitt, the chapter ceased to exist. Alex fights back, but he's reminded the troop needs a dead mother, and he quickly fakes a woman home with strep throat named missus Zamboni. He's told to bring her to the next joint meeting, and the dread has already started to kick in.
Speaker 1: Matisa is not impressed with his aggression.
Speaker 3: She wants them to be more like a bumblebee, but when she sees his baskets from under the table, she can't believe it.
Speaker 1: They're beautiful. So I rewatched it.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand it either.
Speaker 3: I was he bought a basket, and she was like, oh my god, it's amazing. He unwraps it in front of her. It's covered in plastic. It's not like he's trying to like he did it. I don't understand what's happened.
Speaker 4: I thought he was gonna be pulling these flowers out and the girls were going to add.
Speaker 2: Them to the basket or something like.
Speaker 4: I thought it was gonna have like a decorative aspect that the girls were gonna have that.
Speaker 2: No one else had.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought, or I thought this basket was gonna be like for Matisse, but then it just was like not either and not really.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand it.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. I don't And she's like, the basket you're.
Speaker 2: Right in front of her that they made, Yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 3: And he reaches down and pulls out a covered basket, uncovers it and shows it.
Speaker 1: To and she's like, it's gorgeous. Of course it's gorgeous. He just bought it. You saw that happen, so I don't. I.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't go outside and meet the he didn't go outside and meet the van and like try to sneak it in anyway.
Speaker 2: It's like the delivery guy came.
Speaker 4: There was a moment where he was cheap and didn't give him a tip, like there was just like it was the it was weird.
Speaker 3: I don't I did not understand what the hell was happening here. And she was seriously like, this is so pretty, so pretty.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, she's impressed for some reason and has no idea that he had them ubered there. The girls realized there is no Missus Amboni and now they're doomed, but Alex promises a replacement and in the meantime he will be their den mom. The girls celebrate the announcement, but Alex knows he's in way over his head. Alex is hanging out in the coach's sporting shop, trying to butter him up, but Coach sees right through it.
Speaker 1: He can't reinstate him.
Speaker 3: Basically, his Moses Roses sponsorship caused an issue because of another nearby flower shop.
Speaker 1: The referee rems his family owns.
Speaker 3: Out Of all things I expected from this movie, the business logistics of the flower industry was not one of them.
Speaker 1: Coach expects a two week suspension. Alex can't believe it. How will he make the All Star team, which we also learned is coached by the referee.
Speaker 3: Rems It's going to take a mirror cool to fix this. And then he sees Matisse over in the camping section. She assumes that they're there for the same reason, an upcoming leadership retreat for the Bumblebees, and so our favorite manipulative hockey player pretends he knows all about the excursion and transitions again into asking her out.
Speaker 1: She stops a mid sentence and says yes, but she assumes he was asking for a ride to the leadership event. Weird assumption. He's bummed and then runs into a store display at full speed. It's a very I did that on my date with the President's daughter. So they stole that from me. What did I say? Yeah? Another hockey it No, I forget. I don't know that. I've been in so many Sabrina. I'm kind of a hot commodity. You should date me. Back at home, Alex, Yeah, okay, I have to do anything nice. Back at home, Alex is running out of the house when the Bumble stop him. They need him for their meeting.
Speaker 3: He says he's a previous engagement and tries to pass it off to their maid, who is so ancient that it's the it's so funny. She just sits there with this like duster that's on a circle. But she was actually very funny.
Speaker 4: She for some reason gave me vibes from the assistant Missus Trench Bull and Matilda has from that movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've never seen Matilda, can you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good.
Speaker 4: And she's like just old and she's just like every time she walks by, she doesn't really have any words.
Speaker 1: She's just like, nah, I love the name. Missus treunch Bowl is.
Speaker 2: Watch the movie trench Bowl is. Yes, Oh, you've got to see it. It's good. Danny DeVito directed it. It's good. It's good, it's good, it's good. It's my favorite thing. I was ever in a I was ever an extra.
Speaker 1: That's why you were in it. Okay, so we got to watch it.
Speaker 2: Bit all of us read the book.
Speaker 4: That was us like you know, at the on the set all you, I mean, we saw we skyrocketed those books just from how many kids were on set.
Speaker 2: We're all reading the book. It was so good.
Speaker 1: Wait, who played Matilda in that one?
Speaker 4: Oh, she's the one that plays the little girl in Missus Doubtfire.
Speaker 3: Oh oh you're talking about mar my friend Maura. Okay, because I know there's different versions of it. There was another Matilda that just came out not long ago. That was a huge dance number.
Speaker 2: And then I oh that was that was a musical. Yeah yeah, I think because isn't it Is it on Broadway?
Speaker 1: Or is yes? It is so maa, Okay, I know, Mark, we'll she'smazy. Okay, good, okay, I'll have to see it now.
Speaker 3: Yes, So he pitches the position of denmother as more of a supervisor than anything else and continues to strut outside, but before he can make it, his dad stops him. He has office hours all weekend, and Alex is stuck taking care of Emily while he's gone, and he's got chores to do if he's expecting.
Speaker 1: That car, God forbid, this guy has to work.
Speaker 3: He starts with cleaning the shed and complaining the goose, who jokingly just getting little elves to help like he's san U.
Speaker 1: But that sparks a real idea for Alex.
Speaker 3: The bumblebees are planning on making bird feeders out of milk cartons, but instead he gaslights them into thinking their ideas too easy and his plan would be better and more difficult. They take them, obviously, and now he's got them cleaning the backyard while he just watches on missus.
Speaker 1: Jack lit spots the maneuver and is not impressed.
Speaker 4: And I am triggered at this point, and I will talk about it in my superency.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh wow, triggered. Okay, alrighty oh, okay, wait, I get wait, but when their dad gets home, the backyard genuinely looks like a chip in Joanna Gains kind of thing. The bumblebees have paid the price. They're all passed out in the room, exhausted because they're the ones who did all the work.
Speaker 3: And so now Alex is being walked out of the front yard with his dad covering his eyes as he finally getting a car. And when he uncovers his eyes it is a car, but a true geloppie, which is a word that is not said enough. When they open the hood, pigeons fly out. His dad wants him to build the car, just like he did when.
Speaker 1: He was a kid.
Speaker 3: This is not what Alex is expecting, nor was I, nor would any parents want to give him a dangerous car that he has to build himself.
Speaker 2: It's not even like this is something we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: I realize I'm just so busy, but you know, every Sunday we're gonna make this the most beautiful.
Speaker 2: No, it was like, hey, good.
Speaker 1: Luck, here you go.
Speaker 2: Hope you don't die the first time you tried driving this car.
Speaker 4: Exactly so this dad like I said, he like kind of flip flops back and forth for me.
Speaker 1: She's got some really.
Speaker 4: Great, you know, mentoring, and.
Speaker 2: Like the way he's keeping him accountable. I love that. But then he does things like this where I'm like, Dad, what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing?
Speaker 4: Bro? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: This was not what Alex was expecting, and neither is the new longer list of chores he's being given with these new expectations.
Speaker 1: What is Dad's intentions here? I think it seems like he's just trying to be a but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he wants to teach him responsibility, but he getting him all this stuff after from.
Speaker 4: Doing the gutters? Is that something your parents would have ever asked you to do? Like clean the gutters?
Speaker 1: Not not fro.
Speaker 3: I mean again, it would depend if you're in a California ranch style house and you've got to go up ten feet to clean the gutters.
Speaker 1: Maybe okay, but we were. We lived in a big two not big, but it was a regular size house, but it was two stories. But my parents would not have put me on a ladder really dangerous.
Speaker 2: Really dangerous. I don't use how many movies and TV shows.
Speaker 4: Do you see like the dad who's doing the gutter cleaning getting very hurt from being up on the ladder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, so falling. And it was also weird. The whole thing was that this a lot of this didn't make sense. So he comes home and he sees what a good job his son is doing. Right, so he gives him way more chores and a piece of car and it was like why why. It was like, congratulations, you're really doing well. Here's a punished in.
Speaker 4: Hard Yeah, here's even harder stuff. I guess I, I guess I didn't have the bar raised high enough for you.
Speaker 1: Look. Yeah. Yeah, there's so much of this movie where I was just going, I don't get this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, now, with the new list in hand, he approaches the Bumblebees for more help, but they're not having it. They're not interested in cleaning the gutters and are far more interested in earning badges. Alex offers his help and they suggest starting with the start a fire badge. He lies about not having a permit to start a fire and suggests getting four badges at once.
Speaker 1: Instead.
Speaker 3: They're interested in, once again following the work of a con man, they paint the garage, clean his room, deliver papers, and work on the car engine, all while Alex is home creating his own badges and culling them in. So they're going on YouTube and they're learning how to build an engine from scratch, these eight year old girls, seven year old.
Speaker 2: Girls, which I believe those videos are probably on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Thought, And it's also it's he's then coloring in like, the girls aren't gonna notice these aren't real badges.
Speaker 3: We've been bumblebees for years. We need certain badges. Now you're just coloring stuff and they're like, yay, they wouldn't They didn't know when they.
Speaker 1: Start he started coloring them. Was like, you can't fake the badges, bro, They're gonna know they're fake. But they didn't. They were super happy.
Speaker 4: Were nowadays they could do a quick scene of him like on Amazon buying badges.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, stealing it from another kid.
Speaker 2: Go back then, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the girls are covered in grease, they're probably on the roof, and Child Protective Services would, I'm sure have opinions on this entire thing.
Speaker 1: Then things get worse. Dina, the rival denmother, wants to meet with Missus Zamboni. What are they gonna do?
Speaker 3: They stall her while they prep inside, and once she's inside, they make it look like missus Zamboni is getting a spa treatment now with their body covered, a face mask made of Thousand Island dressing and cucumber slices on her eyes.
Speaker 1: Oh. Alex also now does the.
Speaker 3: Worst fake woman's voice in the history of films. Oh, no one would buy this ever, no one, let alone an adult. But I mean, no one would buy this ever. Dina's not buying it, but somehow the girls make it work. And in the fractice, missus Zamboni also says Alex will be going to the Leadership Powell this weekend with Matisse, but Dina says that's against the rules, and on her way out, she tells missus Zamboni to keep an eye on Alex Pearson. She doesn't trust him, and let's be honest, no one should. But this is where I was like, Now they're going like kind of missus doubt fire.
Speaker 1: But it's awful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the Italian dress or what it a Thousand Island dressing was it was making me like gueazy.
Speaker 4: It was so gross looking, and of course I got the idea that it's like a Missus doubt fire.
Speaker 2: I saw the change.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, we'll see where we go because we haven't really had anything like this so far in a Disney movie, right, like for a reason.
Speaker 2: But this part was a gross and the oh the voiceover was cringey.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm a woman now and I'm missus zambody, I'm even even trying.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, you can't do that in front of the godfather of voice acting.
Speaker 2: It's going to be pissed, Sami Alarm.
Speaker 1: It's just bad though.
Speaker 2: It's just bad.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was, it was, I mean, just oh, just bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I wonder if this was possibly not part of his audition. I don't know process for this.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't like to bash on young people acting. No, it's not an easy thing to do. You're also carrying the entire film, the guys.
Speaker 1: In most of the movie.
Speaker 4: He's actually, for the most part hilarious. I thought so much of his little like fun things that he was doing, his comedy stuff was cute, but he was great. But this was, I mean, that's a lot to do, Like, it is very hard. People that think like, oh you should get into voice acts. It's like, uh, it's really difficult, it is and.
Speaker 1: It's it that and that was that? Wow, that wasn't it? That wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Now alone, Emily is mad she didn't know about Matisse and calls for her other bumblebees. They're gonna help him get ready for his big date. They know about girls the way that he knows about hockey, and I was like, okay, this will be cute at least that night, they start working on his black heads and moosing his hair. They also go over what he should talk about with Matisse, and the answer is her. They show him clothing options and she's a cute boys shirt. But they realize he's running late, so they show him out of the house and unveil his car, which has now been professionally painted and fixed by one of the girl's dads. Well again, she says he painted the car. The girls were supposed to fix the car. He painted it yellow, so he doesn't actually say thank you, which I think is strange, and I kind of I mean, it's like, so they painted it like a bumblebee. I get it, but yeah, it was like, okay, the girls are master mechanics all of a sudden and in like a day or two they fix the car and have it paint. Anyway, this was a rough one for me. While he checks out the KI was one of those things, was like, am I in a bad mood? Or is this movie putting me in a bad mood? And I think it's a little from column In, a little from Columbae.
Speaker 1: I'll be up. You just need a banger.
Speaker 3: We haven't had like a banger in a while, like one where it's like this movie's awesome.
Speaker 2: I thought Unwraps was pretty good.
Speaker 1: We like, we like She's good, but it's still like God, I miss like mis we gotta go well. I think we're doing Xenon again. We got okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we gotta get a good Yeah.
Speaker 3: While he checks out the car, Missus jack Litz appears holding her dog. She thinks it's beautiful and knows that the Bumblebees did it. She reminds him of the code that the organization lives by integrity, fidelity, and readiness, and that it applies to den Mothers too. With that, he leaves Judge mcjudgerson and picks up Matise And again she's right.
Speaker 1: And this is when I was like, oh, obviously she's gonna be the one at the end who's gonna help out. You just know. She loves his new haircut and there seems to be an immediate spark.
Speaker 3: As he opens her car door, he gets a text from the girls reminding him to talk about her, So now in the car, he asks her about her bumblebee history and she praises his work as a denmom. He laughs, it's not like he had to join the army. But then we optical flip once again, right to the leadership powow. It's being run by Dina, just like an army drill, and she is not impressed with how many cookies these troops are selling. When she gets to Alex, he says he doesn't know his troops total sales. Missus Zamboni does, but she's homesick with the gretzkis.
Speaker 1: Okay cute.
Speaker 3: Alex admits they are very behind, but this weekend he'll be taking them to the mall to get their numbers up, and all the dead moms gasp. The mall is Dina's territory and now things have gotten very serious. They try and strong arm him out of the mall, leading him to a big speech about what's fair, and everyone agrees with him because they're right.
Speaker 1: You can't. You can't monopolize the mall.
Speaker 3: Bro Alex suggests that Dina's troop shouldn't have exclusivity on the mall. Instead, they should have a contest. Whoever sells the most cookies of the mall tomorrow gets the mall for the rest of the season. He's calling it a cookie Blitz. All the dead Moms agree, except for Dina, who just pouts. Now, Alex drops off Matisse and she admits she was wrong about him. She's very impressed with what he did today, and she gives him a kiss on the cheek. The next day, Alex takes the girls to the mall for the blitz. He notices the girls have abandoned some of their more unique traits for more traditional bumblebe accessories, but he tells them they don't need to be typical bumblebees, they just need to be themselves, and yes, he seems to be starting to mature a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, thankfully, a little bit, hopefully he's growing up. He gives them one last pep talk and off they go for a montage. All the troops have gathered there and are fighting for customers. The Bumblebees have even brought out the shirt gun and a mall train, which are big hits. But I have to imagine firing boxes of cookies into random people is probably extraordinarily dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it actually would have been okay if they had done more of like a bundle of cookies in like.
Speaker 2: A plastic yeah, cute decorative bag.
Speaker 3: She just cut to somebody like like a bloody mouth, like teeth knocked out, holding a box of thin mints, like thanks, so yeah, very very cute but dangerous. Yeah so yeah, I don't know why, Uh that was okay, but I get what they're doing. And while Matisa and Alex have a little flirt together, Dina demands to finally see this missus Zamboni. The bylaws say the dead mother must be present, so she wants to disqualify the troop. Alex quickly changes his tune, saying that Miss Samboni is in the mall in the nearby Big and Beautiful U store. He promises she'll be back soon, but Dina sprints into the store to find her. Alex sneaks in behind her, and while Dina searches Alex picks up some items for the rack and rushes to the dressing room. This way he's able to talk to Dina through the door. You know, obviously this is no missus doubt fire. I might even say it's a missus miss fire.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: Alex, in his terrible Zamboni voice, says, big girls need frocks too, And this was not my favorite scene, and by that I mean it was just another in a long line of very bad scenes. Dina advises her to join the Bumblebees, but Missus Zamboni pushes back, trash talking and keep being it real with her, and all that does is make Dina matter. And the whole time he's just throwing out large women's underwear that's landing on her head, like.
Speaker 1: These are not big enough for me, And it was like, oh my god, what am I watching? My eyes hurt. It's just it's so it's this. This movie really.
Speaker 3: Made me realize how much of a difference a good any good movie in any bad movie is. Obviously, but any good dcom and any bad dcom are.
Speaker 1: They're so different.
Speaker 3: Yes that it's it's one of but you wonder it's I go to kind of how did this get made? Because you've got to go through so many levels of getting a film made, especially back in twenty ten when the business was still the business. So you've got to go and you got to pitch, and you've got to do this, and you gotta do that. How did first of all nobody go well, who is this for?
Speaker 1: Who's the movie for? Is this going to be about the girls? Is it gonna be about the boy? Is it for boys? Is for girls? Who is this movie for?
Speaker 3: And then you start getting the scripts in I mean eventually, I mean the writer's good. I've worked with him, he's great. So is he getting parameters of what he has to put in and not? Because there's some things where you're just going, what is what's happening right now? How are they doing that? And this scene was one of them to me where it's just like, what what's going on right there?
Speaker 4: Just seemed like there was a lot of little things like that were too much stuff put in right right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it, you know, too many too many.
Speaker 4: Aspects, like even with the hockey that to me clearly didn't need to be a thing. It's like the hockey part of it, he could have been it literally could have been him with.
Speaker 2: Just this girl as his you know, love interest.
Speaker 4: The whole hockey part, which took a big chunk of it, took a chunk in the beginning, took a chunk later on, like it's like that kind of so I feel like it was like just too many things instead of diving deep and really like getting a little bit more of a sessed out, yeah, not so chaotic type thing that was happening.
Speaker 2: I don't know if yeah, I don't know. I just it just seemed like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was so yeah, so Alex, I agree. Alex Is now in his Zamboni voice, says, big girls need frocks. Two Dean advises him, okay.
Speaker 3: So Diana gets Matters keeping it real okay, And once she's gone, Matisse arrives to also talk to the door to the troop's new den mother, which causes for an even slightly bigger moral dilemma for Alex. It's an awkward conversation with his crush digging an even bigger unethical ditch by praising Alex to her, saying that he talks about her, and this makes Matist blush and endears him even closer to her.
Speaker 1: But again she's talking about a true master manipulator. But she also knows that he likes her because he's asked her out fourteen times in the movie, so.
Speaker 2: That she shocked that that could have been done. And I don't it just that part was so like, oh, come on, no one's gonna fall for.
Speaker 4: This garbage, Like do you know what I mean? Like she's not even talking to a person face to face either, it's.
Speaker 2: Through a door.
Speaker 4: Like I just was like, I don't I just don't like her falling for him because he sees him with his little sister.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, her.
Speaker 4: Seeing that he's you know, maybe giving up time with his hockey situation to be with like the Carols and get them to what they need to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was like, I don't know, too far fetched for me.
Speaker 1: I just now, all of a sudden, he's dressing up like a woman, he's got a woman's vo It was so strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it needed to happen earlier.
Speaker 1: Or not happen at all, is what it should have been.
Speaker 3: Now out of the dressing room and back in the mall, Alex rejoins the troop who has won them all blitz these types of sale numbers will get them into Camperie for sure. And that's when Dina's troop fifty seven girls, which is different than Heinez fifty seven, arrived to make fun of their handmade Alex badges. Dina points out that these badges aren't even real and that Alex has been fooling them. Making Alex and his friends sandwich is should not result in a badge. Dena sarcastically apologizes, besays the badges will not count towards the camporee. Matisse and the girls are angry at Alex and we all know that this is just one more of his lies. That night, Alex is at the ice rink, just sitting in the stands when Goose joins him. The team has actually one four in to a row without him, so maybe you're the problem. Alex calls it luck because you know he's Alex, and rather than talk about somebody else, he immediately shifts the conversation to how Emily hates him and Matisa's mad. He tells Goose about the fake badges, and then his friend finally calls him out. He didn't come to see the team. He came because he needs help. Goose says that this is a problem. Alex misses the point and thinks that he just has to make it look like he's fixing things, and this guy might just be a lost cause. Either way, It's time for the next troop meeting and no one I'll talk to Alex. They will be mean, but not too mean because they still need him. And then the girls find a nearby pair of binoculars and a map. It leads them on a scavenger hunt sent to very odd music. They eventually spot Alex far away, calling them over to some tents, and now because of that he got them official or in teering badges. They just need four more badges to qualify for Camparee, and he's dug up all the things in this campsite to achieve them. And so now we get another montage, this time with a little bit better music and the girls getting everything done, from sit ups to erecting a tent to archery and starting a fire. But even with the badges, they're still short on cookie sales, which is how they pay for Camperee. One camper suggests selling blood, which is I think a pretty good idea, but.
Speaker 1: They land on selling muffins.
Speaker 3: They would need to sell over two thousand muffins to make it worse though, to make it work though, And the only thing I kept thinking the entire time was the girls. Throughout troop I saw set up outside of a weed dispensary, which is still the greatest thing of it.
Speaker 1: Don't such a good idea?
Speaker 3: Yes, and one of them to sell hot muffins at a cold hockey game is obviously hits a nerve for Alex, but he has to admit it's a pretty good idea, and so it's time to prep these muffins. While Alex admits he can't really be at the game with them, he doesn't tell them it's because he's suspended, but he says it would be better if there was a real Missus Zamboni to be there.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should just pick a different spot, but the girls remind him it's the best place, hands down, and that's when they suggest maybe Missus Sambo is there. And so the girls begin the process of turning Alex into his female alter ego with prosthetics and makeup. And I don't have high hopes here, but let's see where it goes.
Speaker 3: So at the game again, it's packed like the King Stanley Cup, playoff. The girls are selling their cupcakes, and hilariously, the girls adapt cuter little baby voices to sell them. So maybe Alex's con man ways are starting to rub off on them. That's great, and Dina is quick to approach them, asking where Alex is. When the girl seem nervous about his whereabouts, Didda thinks she has him on the ropes. She plans on telling the Bumblebees regional office. This woman has a total heart on for True fifty seven.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: And that's when missus Zamboni arrives. It's Alex in full female makeup and I have to say.
Speaker 1: It's actually not bad the makeup, but it's not good either. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I know, honestly knew this was gonna eventually have to happen, and I was surprised and actually pleased with it. I thought, like, again, we haven't seen Disney go for this, or Doesney channel d Coom like a dcom go for this and this?
Speaker 2: I think if I'm thinking twenty ten, you're thinking of like all the movies that had like what what was was it big?
Speaker 4: Like how or like the movies that were doing like a lot of prosthetics with the face and some of the Yeah. So I'm thinking, like it's around that time that a lot of movies are happening, and I was like, this isn't bad. Disney doing it was not that bad. I actually then it made me go they should have done this so long ago.
Speaker 1: Yes, because.
Speaker 4: Him in this outfit actually was pretty funny and was if you think about a younger demo too, was could have been used really well, him doing the typical trying to get in and out of his prosthetics, you know, like like missus doubtfire?
Speaker 1: Do missus doubt fire for kids' Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: What I think it could have been.
Speaker 4: Instead, they like smortgashborged it with like a bunch of us their crap.
Speaker 1: Let nobody cares exactly this.
Speaker 2: Game, this game.
Speaker 1: The game was yeah, so Alex big Yeah, the game was just pointless.
Speaker 3: Alex gives a big pep talk and the money starts flowing, even selling one to Matisse. Hilariously, Alex can't stop watching the game and getting angry about what he's seeing. As Zamboni, he yels at the coach to put in Alex, but the coach yells back to who he assumes is a grandma.
Speaker 1: He's not here, but if he was, he's and he'd end the suspension and put him in right now. And so right there, Zamboni takes to the ice and scores.
Speaker 3: They figure out quickly it's Alex in a dress with hockey skates on, who just jumps on the ice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so his teammates, especially Goose, are not very pleased. He's once again quote unquote, saved the day and the process completely ruined everything for the Bumblebees since Dina will for sure bust them.
Speaker 3: Matisa is now disgusted as well. It was just like, what is he doing back at home? He tries to hang out with Emily, but she wants nothing to do with him either. He tries to talk to his dad for help.
Speaker 1: And this is what I noticed. He's wearing a pretty insane to pay can do with a movie. But I noticed it. I didn't.
Speaker 2: Now I have to go watch it.
Speaker 1: Watch. Yeah, it's pretty bad. Okay, not trying to call him out, but it's pretty bad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: His dad knows he just needs reassurance because he let down Emily terribly, but he can't give him that. Alex admits he did wrong and deserves punishment. He suggests six weeks or hard labor, but his dad is not interested in punishing him. He wants him to feel the consequences of ruining things, not just feel better by completing a punishment.
Speaker 1: Great great moral time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Alex lets out some frustration by hitting hockey pucks outside and eventually is joined by Missus jack.
Speaker 1: Lit's a dog.
Speaker 3: He walks the dog back over to her house and is invited inside by his neighbor. She knows all about the missus Zamboni situation as well. While in the house, he sees frames of hundreds of Bumblebee badges from the daughters and their granddaughters. He also sees an old picture of her daughter's troop and it includes his mom. His mother was an excellent scout and he knows he let her down. Missus jack Litt said she can use some help around the house and if he promises to do it, she'll be.
Speaker 1: The troops dead mother again. This should happen way earlier.
Speaker 3: The next day, he joins the Bumblebee meeting and they're still giving him the cold shoulder. He admits he was a jerk and apologizes he knows he wasn't a good Den brother or a real brother, but he introduces missus.
Speaker 1: Jacklitz as the new Den mother. She asked for some time alone with the troop and talks about how they can't blame everything on Alex. He was just trying to help.
Speaker 3: So they're going to go So they're going to do another go for it about forgiveness, and so now we're back at the big hockey game. For some reason, it's them versus their rivals, which includes that bully Titus, and during their pregame huddle, Alex asks to speak. He apologizes for being a jerk and makes Goose the new team captain, but Goose says he doesn't want to be the captain. He wants Alex to be a good captain. And so now Alex is ready to implement the new offense around Goose.
Speaker 1: Talk to me, Goose.
Speaker 3: Even on the first play, they pull off a trick where Goose scores immediately. It's a hard hitting game, with Alex basically being a decoy and getting destroyed when he has the puck, but he loves it, and next time down the ice, Alex deeks this way to the net, but decides to pass the Goose for the goal and the win. They took home the trophy with an assist, and now Goose is making the All Stars and Ali didn't even have to pass it. He did it because now he is unselfish and Troop fifty seven was at the game, so is his dad. With Camperie tomorrow, he's concerned they don't have everything that they need, but they do accepted dead mom. They liked miss Jacklitz, but he is their dead mother. He accepts and is very excited about Camperee. At Camperee, it's Bumblebee heaven with games and chants and unfortunately Dina, she says there is no Troop fifty seven because there's no dead mother, but he says he is the Den mother. The girls rush up with the rule books. As long as their parents agree, he can be the dead mom. But Dina has one more thing up or sleeves. All the Den moms need to be in full uniform, and as a latch ditch effort, Matis says an idea. She changes Alex into a woman's bumblebee uniform skirt and all he emerges and gets applause and laughs, and his dad says he never thought he'd admit something like this, but seeing his son in a Bumblebee uniform makes him proud. Everyone at Camperrie loves it, except Dina, who tells her husband, the referee and All Star Hockey coach, about it.
Speaker 1: Did we know she was mer to the ref This guy's got his fingers and everything. Oooh, that sounded strange.
Speaker 2: I definitely knew that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: He hears her Karen like complaining and says he's going to do something about it. It feels like he's going to beat up Alex, but instead he offers him the last spot on the All Star team. He accepts it as long as it works with his Bumblebee schedule. The girls are thrilled. Matisse seems turned on as they chant his name. We get our final credits with some patented DCM bloopers, and that.
Speaker 1: Is our movie. I'm exhausted. Let's do some real reviews. I've got the one star this week, and it was written by somebody who's never written before an animal. This was written by Alice and the Cat. The dad is terrible. He ignores both of his children. He just makes me super mad. Any character flaws and his children, I feel are directly linked to a complete and total lack of parenting or any sort of adult direction. Somehow, Alex is expected to be a mother to his sister and a gardener and a mechanic. One star. It's not wrong actually, and super well written for a cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, what are you saying?
Speaker 4: I've got the five star this time, and it's from Julia l The movie was okay, I thought it came out in two thousand and nine, though, thank you Georgie.
Speaker 1: Five stars, Julia, five stars.
Speaker 3: And now we're going to do our feature presentation after watching this film, it's going to be just punching myself in the face repeatedly.
Speaker 1: First person to hit me harder wins. I'm kidding. The feature of this week is called Badge of Honor.
Speaker 4: In all honestly, that's what it feels like Justin is doing most of the time with these games.
Speaker 1: Punching us in the face. Hey, you've been doing well lately, and I think it's because he's not here.
Speaker 2: I know, I think he intimidates me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got Battle of the Network Stars whatever that show. His wife is on Badge of Honor.
Speaker 3: With this week's inclusion of the Bumblebee Scouts, that was obviously referencing the Girl Scouts, maybe only second to Cookies.
Speaker 1: Girl Scouts are known for merit.
Speaker 3: Badges, little achievement rewards be sewn onto their uniforms. Now we're gonna be given the name and description of a badge that at some point was or still is available in the Girl Scouts. We decide if it's real or fake. Three out of five wins. Okay, okay, who I don't think.
Speaker 1: Jensen's here again today? Who's playing with us today?
Speaker 4: He's not?
Speaker 2: It's me Tara y graduates.
Speaker 1: So long did you watch this film? Producer Tara I did not got a envy. It's not the list, Okay. Our number one badge is the toilet science badge, where the girls explore how plumbing works.
Speaker 4: Is it like?
Speaker 2: So we're supposed to guess.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I think that's real.
Speaker 2: I think that's real too. You also have to guess if it's still around or if it's retired.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I think it's I think it's real, and I think it's retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like there's a it's gotta be a different name.
Speaker 1: It's real and it's still around. Oh my god, the toilet Science bad I don't even want to know what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Toilet.
Speaker 1: So we're so we're over one.
Speaker 3: Number two the Dental Health Badge, earned by brushing faked teeth and identifying sugar content in candy.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say real and still available.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, so is it?
Speaker 1: Are they all real?
Speaker 4: And we're seeing if it's available or if it's somebody you know he made some of these up.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I think this is a made up one. It's real and it's still around. Hey, I got one, all right, sugar content in candy?
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Number three the Woodchuck Badge, awarded to excellence in chopping and stacking wood safely. They're not going to have them chopping wood, are they. I'm gonna say this is fake.
Speaker 2: No, I think this is fake, but I think it could have been one, but maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say fake.
Speaker 2: It is real, but it's retired.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was real. Well.
Speaker 3: The question becomes though, with the girl Scouts, is how much wood could a would chuck chuck?
Speaker 1: If a wood chuck could chuck, would is the question? Number four the Skydiver Badge, given a Scouts over eighteen who have completed one skydive. This can't be real. There aren't girl scouts that are eighteen.
Speaker 4: I think you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you graduate in high school.
Speaker 1: So no, yeah, fake, it is fake. Yay, all right, that's true. So I gotta get this one to win number five. The Eating for Beauty badge a badge given to encourage girls to eat foods that make your quote unquote make your skin glow.
Speaker 3: Oh, it seems like something that would be real and god willing retired. That's what I'm I'm gonna say, real and retired. How about you, Sabrina.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was something they would have done back in the day. Yeah, but now retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is real.
Speaker 2: It retired and it was made in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Just fun Okay it was I did. I did too? Did you win?
Speaker 2: I got one three or one four?
Speaker 1: And yeah then you won? Then great, we won.
Speaker 2: Wait what did you say about the eighties, Tara?
Speaker 1: It's from the eighties. It was made in the eighties.
Speaker 2: It was made in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about right. That seems about right. Can we do a Sabrina sees.
Speaker 2: We can.
Speaker 4: They're actually kind of funny, a little bit to this. Yeah, Okay, first of all, poor Rachel. We're all best friends except for Rachel.
Speaker 2: That first like thing, I was just like, dang. But then there was really nothing that came from it.
Speaker 4: Except for she was just kind of a little like I'm gonna call it edgy. She's just a little different, but like little emo, but yeah, a little emo, which is nothing wrong with it. Okay, I'm gonna move past couple of them. Also, my jaw dropped when I saw Matias come on the TV.
Speaker 2: I immediately was like, I know her, I know her, I know her.
Speaker 4: And then to find out she's Monica Dutton from Yellowstone, Oh, I was like, I forgot to text Tara, but I was like, we've got to just reach out just to see if maybe she'll come on because she's.
Speaker 1: A review we just gave.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, probably not.
Speaker 4: But I mean I'm sure she had really a lot of fun filming it and you know whatever. But the go from a Disney this is another like she's on one of the biggest like move like shows that's been around recently, like that would be so it was amazing to see that Again Disney finds the best talent that just ends up going on to amazing careers, did we you didn't tap on, I would think it was gonna happen. This is our second movie that is. Zamboni kind of played a big.
Speaker 1: Part in it, a pretty big what what what what? The other one was?
Speaker 2: What it was the one that was the figure skating. Remember he comes in on the Zamboni SCEs.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. Well we use it in h double hockey sticks too, and you yes that.
Speaker 4: So it's like, well you guys used it, but like that one and this one, I mean, his name being Zamboni like kind of made Zamboni like a character, just like the like him coming into like a as a night Disney.
Speaker 1: Disney's got a real Zamboni for those.
Speaker 2: They seriously do.
Speaker 4: So I thought your Zamboni references. I was like, oh god, they're just gonna hear these over and over again. But you you know, held it together or maybe it's just the mood it is.
Speaker 1: I am not in a Zamboni mood today, Okay.
Speaker 2: Trigger So my I was watching it.
Speaker 4: I actually was tempted, but I didn't end up doing it. Was tempted to text my sister, like, this movie's triggering me because I swear you did crap like this to me, being so much younger, she would say, hey, I bet you couldn't. She would make me do her chores, but manipulate me into doing them. I bet you couldn't vacuum this entire room in under three minutes.
Speaker 2: There's no way you could do it. Oh yes, I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everything was because she always, like I was so always have been very competitive. I bet you couldn't go get the mail in under sixty seconds. God, And so I was kind of getting triggered watching this.
Speaker 2: Guy di manipulate his sister and her little friends to do all this he was supposed to do. Your jerk, and I hate you, I love my sister.
Speaker 4: It was a time in her life that, you know, why not manipulate your little sister. I was there to do anything to make her think I was cool. And then the last, the last, the last little thing that I wrote was when she's when the girl's age was a little another questionable thing to me.
Speaker 2: And this is the last thing.
Speaker 4: When she does the the newspaper, I'm like, why is she not just riding a tricycle but like a big wheel like the ones you mean back on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a little kid's big wheel, like a little little kid's big wheel.
Speaker 4: Monroe wouldn't even ride one of those right now unless it was like the only thing to do in.
Speaker 2: A backyard and a friend's house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 4: There were so many questions that were just weird, and we went over the rest of them. But you know, all I could think of this whole movie was bumblebee tuna bumble.
Speaker 1: From mister Mom. Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 2: From mister Mom?
Speaker 4: From ace Ventura Beet Detective when nature calls bubble be tuna, bumble bee tuna.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I haven't seen that's Ace Venture too. I haven't seen that in forever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so funny. It's the only thing that kept making me really smile during Mister Mom.
Speaker 1: Might not have been bumblebee. Yeah, mister Mom was another thing, but uh oh that's right, bumble tuna, bubble.
Speaker 2: Tuna, bubble too.
Speaker 1: All right, let's rade our film. Let's it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be between one to two, all right, I'm kidding. No, One to ten ten is the best our options this week. We've got one to ten flower Shop Business Logistics. One to ten mean announcers talking sunflowers, dcom dead mom, So let's not do that.
Speaker 1: Yees yeah.
Speaker 3: One to ten Child Protective Service calls bad fake woman voices, one thousand island face masks.
Speaker 1: Those are your favorite.
Speaker 3: One to ten yellow cars, one to ten missus misfires are one to ten insane two pays.
Speaker 1: Why don't you pick what you got you want me to do?
Speaker 2: I gotta do the insane two pays because I've got to go back and see that.
Speaker 1: I gotta go back and see it. I gotta see if Vicky Lewis started with an accent, yes, I think, oh god, I've got to see that now.
Speaker 4: So I think I go first. You do sorry to take a swing at this. You know what Again, we talked about it. I wish we could go back and actually redo this movie and do it along the lines of a kid's Missus doubtfire like it would have been a lot and just keep it there right, the love interest and trying to get these kids accepted into this camp or whatever, like you know, it was just all the thing, the hockey, that everything, it just was. It wasn't my jam it it I'm glad it was at least it was a shorter one of them, and it wasn't you know two into the hundred and one hundred and ten minutes situation.
Speaker 2: Because I was glad for it. I did not like it.
Speaker 4: Much.
Speaker 2: There were some cute moments. The girls were adorable.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think I've gone with a six point five insane two pays.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're that's the huge, huge score where I figured you were going to be really wow. Yeah, absolutely, to me it was.
Speaker 2: It was an easy watch.
Speaker 4: I was as bored as the last one that I gave a really bad score to, right, But I was not as like, oh, this is such a good movie and I'm ready for such a good movie. I want one of those just humdinger d coms. Give it to me, Tara, I need a good one.
Speaker 1: I agree, Well, hopefully it'll be the next one we announced, but I have to first rate. I think you're being hugely generous.
Speaker 4: Did not.
Speaker 1: I do not understand who this movie was for. I did.
Speaker 3: It was like they threw everything at the wall just to see what would stick. It's a hockey movie. It's a little girl's movie. It's a missusdoubtfire movie. It's a I did not understand what was going on a lot of it made no sense. Then he's on the ice in the in the dress, he just grabs skates and got None of this made sense to me. This movie was a massive jumble of weirdness to me, and again admittedly not in a good mood. But again I also do not know if I was not in a good mood when I watched it, or it put me into a bad mood. I can I tell you I had to watch it in chunks because I just I didn't like this movie. I am giving this generously four in two pays.
Speaker 1: This movie I did not get. Again, I still you gotta be able to point to who the movie's for. Who is this for? Is this a little girl's movie? Is this the the main star is a teenage guy. I don't understand who this movie was for. So, yes, this was not one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: But hopefully next week we're gonna write the ship because we've had some good ones.
Speaker 1: You write. Under Wraps was good, but then we had a couple back there.
Speaker 3: We liked Halloween Town, we liked Under Wraps with their Phantom of the Megaplex. We did not like there's a couple here that we haven't had some great ones lately. But our next movie is not just a sequel.
Speaker 1: It's a zequel. That's right.
Speaker 3: It's Xenon, the zequel from two thousand and one, a sci fi fantasy returned to the character who debuted in the very popular ninety nine d com Xenon Girl the Twenty first Century, which I'm gonna to watch again because I'll be lost.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have to make sure I'm texting you. You text me if I don't. We have to watch the first one again.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: We have to be able to sort of compare it.
Speaker 1: Yep, and we need to. I can remember it. I remember Zeno, but.
Speaker 2: The full full backstory before I move on.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember Stuke Krieger, how he pitched it. I remember all.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I gotta see Raven in the first one again.
Speaker 1: Because she's just so cute. I can't well, it'll be good. So yes, hopefully this will right the ship and uh, at least for me, washed the taste.
Speaker 3: Of den Brother out of my mouth. So Xena On the Zequial you can stream it now in Disney Plus. Get ahead of us and see what you think.
Speaker 1: I'm tarnished by our own stupidity myself included.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to that one definitely. I can't wait, uh because, yeah, I really liked the first one. I remember liking the first one. It's very Disney Channel. I really want to see what they did with the second one. If you want to go check out what we thought about the first one, you can always go back. And I have to listen to it too, because I don't remember how I scored it. I want to go back and figure all that stuff out. But also remember to subscribe to the dedicated Magical Rewind feed and you can catch up with all the popular decom casts and crew members we've interviewed so far. You can also follow us for more information at Magical Readwinde Pod on the Instagram machine right now. Who This was a rough one, Thanks everybody, Bye bye