Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 2: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Thought off of where we left off of budgeting and budgeting, I think it's budgeting is extremely underrated when it comes to financial planning for individuals. I always say, like, if you look at a corporation, budgeting is like the major thing that they do. Like you, I mean, like Apple knows every dollar that comes in and comes out, Like they pay accountants millions of dollars. They have a whole team of accountant to keep track of the books. And budgeting is like that's everything. Budgeting is everything. But it's like most entrepreneurs and most regular people that just have jobs have no idea of the budget, Like they don't have any idea of how much money comes in, they have no idea of how much money goes out. They're just wringing it and just you know, spending money whenever you know they need to, and the money comes in and it just goes to their bank. And that's kind of like how most people run not only their business but their life. So budgeting, budgeting one oh one right for somebody that has never budgeted before, but they first and foremost why why is budgeting essential? And then we'll go into like some different hacks that can help people to get better with budgeting.
Speaker 4: So budgeting is essential because it is a physical picture of what your money is doing. Right, So if you have kids and you're in the other room and your two year old is quiet, You're like, wait, what the hell are they breaking?
Speaker 2: Because you know they're cutting.
Speaker 4: Up, putting a you know, putting a knife enough in the socket whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: And so it's the same thing with your money.
Speaker 4: Like you you have to be on top of your money. I would say, like, your money's like a bad two year old, Like if you leave it to its own devices, it's gonna be breaking shit that I can curse. Yeah, right, So you want to be on it when it comes to your money and be present.
Speaker 2: You are the adult. You decide what your money does.
Speaker 4: And so that's what a budget allows you to do and allows you to be the adult of your of your life. So it's important, you know, I don't care how much money you make. You can outspend like great wealth.
Speaker 2: There are people who.
Speaker 4: Have been millionaires and even billionaires and have been less penniless. So I think sometimes people think, like, well, if I had ten million dollars was like mc.
Speaker 2: Hammer from Somebody'll You're like, who's that?
Speaker 4: Okay, Tony Braxton, right, Alan Iverson. So many people have outspent their wealth. It is more than possible.
Speaker 3: So what kind of all right, So what are the different strategies for budgeting right, Like, it's someone Okay, I realize the budgeting is important. I want to do it. So how do I go about it? Is it spreadsheet software? Like is there formulas that you should use? Because some people say, like the housing should only be like twenty or thirty percent of your total budget. So yeah, what's your what's your philosophy as far as like the one on one the person realizes they need to budget now they actually want to start a.
Speaker 4: Budget, So let's just start super super easy, because I mean, yes, I use a sprite sheat all that stuff, but most people are not going to do that to start.
Speaker 2: It's the difference between I want to lose some.
Speaker 4: Weight and so tomorrow, like you're gonna run you know, ten miles, you're not gonna run ten mouse You might the first day, and the second day you're going to go back to the couch. So I want you to start off walking. So for someone who's like I don't budget, I never.
Speaker 2: Took to a budget.
Speaker 4: First things first is start with having separate bank accounts, right, So I believe in having a bill's account to pay your bills and having a spend account to spend from your bills account. Should not have a debit card attached to it. That's a debit card is a choice. I don't think people realize that the bank issues you a debit card. But you could be like, nah, I'm good. So my bill's account does not have a debit card. My spend account.
Speaker 2: It's both.
Speaker 4: These are checking account that the same bank has a debit card. And then you want to least one savings account not at that bank. So you want to at least one safets account at an online only bank. And so what it looks like is that your money comes in. Some of it goes into your I like to call it my deposit account, slash your spend accounts, so that's.
Speaker 2: Where your money lands.
Speaker 4: Some of it goes into your bills account to pay bills, and you know how much to go into your bills account by what bills are due. And then some of it goes into your savings. So in the beginning you're not going to have the math perfect. You might just be like, I don't care if ten dollars goes into your savings. When I was at my brocus, I was literally transferring to you know, just to continue, just to have the habit of savings. You never you never want to get out of the habit of putting something away in your savings account.
Speaker 2: That's important.
Speaker 4: So what I did for my husband, for example, he's not gonna sit down and spreadsheet.
Speaker 2: That's just not happening. He's like, what breaks city, dope, So we're doing stead Now? Is we budget for him anywhere? Because I like the spreadsheet.
Speaker 4: We budget before his money even gets there, I said, Babe, go to HR, here's what you're gonna tell them. Hey, before you give me my money, some of it goes into his retirement account check. Some of it goes into his into his spend account, that deposit account where things are depositives right check by his direct deposit account, right. Some of it goes into our joint bill's account check, some goes into his personal savings check, and some goes into our joint savings. So he basically his budget is done automatically.
Speaker 2: Through HR, so it lands.
Speaker 4: And all he has to think about is when it comes to his personal savings, whatever you want to do to that, that's your business, as tab it. That would say, the vegan vegan chef that ready loves right now, and that's your business, right And it. All he has to worry about too, is his basically his allowance in his deposit account, in his spending account. So whatever is in his spending account. If I see my husband with some new JS on. Back in the day, I used to be like, oh, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I enjoyers with the bread money. Now it's not no more right because I know one thing.
Speaker 4: He didn't take it from the bills account. He didn't take it from our joint savings.
Speaker 2: So if he took it from his.
Speaker 4: Personal savings or his spending account, that's fine.
Speaker 2: And so like if you don't know how.
Speaker 4: To do anything else, if you just have at least those three accounts and have your money automatically split from well really four because you want to have a retirement account and have your money split from work, then you will be ahead of the game. And so for people who want to go a little bit deeper. For me, you know, like I, like I said, I like to have spread to you.
Speaker 2: I like to know how much we're.
Speaker 4: Spending on on on groceries, how much we're spending on gas, so I keep track of that. I just the tool I like to use message Just so I like to keep track of that there, but you don't necessarily have to. You set aside a you know, an allowance for yourself. Typically things are led by bills. So if ideally you want to be setting aside twelve to fifteen percent for your retirement, and you probably are saying like, I can't afford to lose twelve to fifteen percent of life pay, or to start with one percent, and every six months you boosted up, start with a half percent, and every six months you boosted up start with something towards retirement.
Speaker 2: And then your bills.
Speaker 4: I like to do bills every two weeks, so the money I have transferred to the bills account, you ask yourself, okay, how much are my bills from the first to the fifteenth, and how much are my bills from the fifteen to the thirtieth, And that's how you know how much to be going into the bill's account, you know, So it might be or you might just have a select number.
Speaker 2: You might say, well, my.
Speaker 4: Bills are around three thousand dollars a month, so every paycheck or every pay period, my bi weekly or my bi monthly pay period, fifteen hundred dollars is going to go into my bill's account, and having your bills account paid bills automatically for you is really going to be like clutch, Like I don't pay bills, bills pay themselves, so it lands on my bill's account, and then my bills already know I pay my pay the electric bill, pay the water bill, pay these bills for me automatically, and like I said, what's left in mind, spend account is attached to my DEBTIT card and I can spend and when that money is done, so on mine.
Speaker 2: What's really important too about a budget is is the savings account.
Speaker 4: I don't want you to save at your regular bank because it makes it easy to transfer.
Speaker 2: We've all been there at Target right and been like, oh man, like I really want.
Speaker 4: Whatever this thing is, this bleunder this dress, this shirt, and you look at check in. You know Daril William got no money and check in, but you know who got money there, savings, And then you're in line making that transfer like happy about it, tode like making a transfer even though you're like that was supposed to be for powers, You're like pass, can wait, tease your care make that.
Speaker 2: Transfer and you're like dang.
Speaker 4: Later you're like this, why I don't never go nowhere because I'm always at Target to buy a toilet tissue and then I leave but three hundred dollars worth of stuff. If you put your savings in an online only savings account, though, then you're gonna have to wait at least twenty four to seventy two hours for your savings at your online only savings account to transfer back to your checking to your spend account.
Speaker 2: And so what that means is it makes your.
Speaker 4: Money inconvenient, and inconvenient money get saved. So I like this website called magnify money dot com to look for an online only savings account because they grade savings accounts.
Speaker 2: From A to F. So you're gonna look for an a account that's one.
Speaker 4: Two, you're gonna look for an account that's FDIC insured.
Speaker 2: That's two.
Speaker 4: Three, You're gonna look for an account that's gonna give the highest interest rate because your your big bank is not gonna give you much of an interest rate. So online only savings accounts don't have as much overhead, so they pass that on.
Speaker 2: To you and you earn a higher interest.
Speaker 4: And then four, you're going to look for a bank that has low deposit requirement, so that means in order to open up the bank account, maybe you have to you have to put in a dollar and also too in order to maintain and get that interest. You don't want that to say you have to have ten thousand dollars in the bank account in order for you to earn the interests that they've advertised. So those are the four components you're going to look for in your online safe account.
Speaker 2: So I hate to say, like, oh, twenty percent here, thirty percent there. Unless you have an irregular income.
Speaker 4: You don't have to live by percentages. You would live by amounts. So one hundred dollars here, three hundred dollars there, four hundred dollars here. That's what you're That's the split that you should be doing regularly every month. If your money it fluctuates because you have an irregular income, then you might say, you know, forty percent goes into my bills. You know five percent goes into spending.
Speaker 2: But you have to.
Speaker 4: Work backwards, like how much are your bills Unless you're starting from scratching your twenty one you're just moving out that you can force your bills to fit within that percentage.
Speaker 2: But it's easy for people to say oh, seventy thirty. Yeah, but like, so what are your bills actually?
Speaker 4: Though your bills might be seventy percent of your income right now, you know, so that's so you have to pay your bills and you're I'm not worried about the percentage. Just now, like how much you actually need to pay bills? Put that in the bill's account. Okay, how much ideally do you want to save once those bills are paid. I want to save one hundred dollars a month, So make that a bill. Now that one hundred dollars a month is automatically put into that savings account directly from your job. And then what's left over, like I said, is your spending money. You know, you might tell yourself, I'm going to give myself fifty dollars every two weeks for spending. Okay, great, and for whatever reason, if there's not enough money, then you take care of bills. You say, I guess I can't save this month, And I guess I can't. I don't have spending money this month for like, you know, spending money for things that.
Speaker 2: Are like you know, like hair nails, grooming, this and that. You know, so sometimes you don't have it and that's okay.
Speaker 4: So there are times when I didn't have it, but I had to pay bills, and even sometimes I didn't have enough for bills, and I had to say, well, I have to pay my noodle budget bills, my essential bills. Verizon can wait. Rising is not going to shoot you if you don't pay. Yes, we'll affect your credit score, but credit scores are things that you can you can you can increase later. I much rather you take care of things that are going to make you happy, I mean healthy and safe.
Speaker 5: I was just thinking about that because one of the things, the powerful things you talk about is identifying ifs, Like we can have anything we want if we just identify our ifs in control them so that we can budget.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So if I want to say four hundred dollars, maybe I don't go to the barbershop twice a week, right, So can you talk about the your points of identifying the ifs and how they can translate to having more money in your budget?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: There are four questions you ask yourself before you spend any money.
Speaker 2: Do I need it? Do I love it? Do I like it? Do I want it? Need it? Love it like it, want it, need it, love it, like it one. We need to switch on right. So your needs come first.
Speaker 4: That's food, cholter, clothing, water, the absolute necessities you must have to stay healthy and safe.
Speaker 2: You pay for those first. Most of us are here to that. That's why you're alive.
Speaker 4: Then your loves are those things that enhance your life. What are things five ten years from now that's still our value even though that thing might not be there right.
Speaker 2: So if you had Oprah's bank account, I always tell people what would you do or do more of?
Speaker 4: So a lot of people say travel, maybe they'd start a business, maybe they go back to school.
Speaker 2: Maybe the philanthropy, whatever that is. So those are your loves.
Speaker 4: Those are things that give you long term joy, even when that thing is not physically there right. And then your likes are short term joy. So you know that's your target. Run, that's your that's that dress that you're like, oh, this is super cute. You know that might be I don't know, eating out with friends or eating out with friends might be a love because you might be like, yo, I'm such a foodie.
Speaker 2: Five years from now, I'm remembering that restaurant. So there's no judgment. You get to decide, but.
Speaker 4: Likes our short term joy and wants are just things to get. I really try to stay away from just frivolous spending, which is what wants are. It doesn't mean I never do it, but it doesn't make sense to trick up your money and wants when you can have more things for loves and your needs. And so what I try to do is so I try to live in the second half, the first half of life, my needs and my loves, because that's an.
Speaker 2: Enriched, fuck filled life. So I'm not.
Speaker 4: Really a foodie, although my belly would to just otherwise, but I'm I'm not really a foodie. But I used to go eat brunch every weekend with my friends and then one day I was like, why thew am I going to bunch? I have not been on vacation in like two years, So I stopped going. They're like, yo, Hilly, you're so cheap, right, And I'm like, I'm not cheap. It's just that, like, I don't want to spend my money on bunch anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spend thirty dollars a week eating brunch.
Speaker 4: And so I started saving my brunch money that I made it a game. Every time they asked me to go to brunch, I would put I would transfer thirty dollars to my savings account, and then within a few months I had enough money. I went for my first solo travel trip. I went to Albuquerque, New Mexico because I had on my bucket list I wanted to ride in a hot air balloon. In Albuquerque, New Mexico is the high air bloon capital of the world.
Speaker 2: Who knew?
Speaker 4: Now you does, right, and so I was like, okay, So I remember my friend called me Tajana.
Speaker 2: She was like, hey, girl, we're about to have We're gonna have brunch tomorrow. But I know you and Yo cheap behind you ain't going.
Speaker 4: I was like, cause, I was like slight flex, well, actually major flex. I was like, ooh, girl, I was about to getting a hot air balloon. The captain said, I gotta turn off my phone.
Speaker 2: Can I call you later? She was like, I had an air balloon and Newer. I'm like, no, girl, New Mexico. That's when I do with my brunch money. Mike drop.
Speaker 4: Okay, So now I don't I stop telling my friends.
Speaker 2: I don't say I don't say no to brunch.
Speaker 4: I'll tell them like, ah Na, girl, I can't go right now because I'm saying yes to Paris, I'm saying yes to Istanbul, I'm saying yes to Seratarina. These are places I've been. I'm saying yes to Morocco. And so I started to decide for myself.
Speaker 2: What my needs and my loves were.
Speaker 4: So I'm not against spending money. I'm against spending money on things that don't matter to you. Prioritize what your more is, like some of us are spending our whole life spending money on someone else's idea of more. Tajuana is a foodie, not me. That's her more, that's less for me. You know, let her eat out with another food if she can come to my house and chill out for free. And so that's really how you start to prioritize, just to ask yourself, like.
Speaker 2: What does more of a life truly mean?
Speaker 4: You know, for me, I don't want an You know, your spending should be reflective of your values and how you want your life to go.
Speaker 3: So you said, Ernests, what's up.
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, or seats are digital? Tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but Understanding of professionals Routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 6: Trying to lose weight, It's time to try. By Hers. At for hers dot com slash for you, you can access affordable, doctor trusted weight loss treatments tailored just for you. These include oral medication kits or compounded GLP one injections through Hers. Pricing for oral medication kits started just sixty nine dollars a month for a ten month plan when paid in full up front, No hidden fees, no membership fees. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to feel like yourself. Hers brings expert care straight to you with one hundred percent online access to personalized treatment plans that put your goals first. Reach your weight loss goals with help through Hers get started at for hers dot com slash for you to access affordable doctor trusted weight loss plans. That's for hers dot com slash for you f O r h ers dot com slash for you paid for by HYMN and Hers Health. Weight Loss by Hers is not available everywhere. Compounded products are not FDA approved or verified for safety, effectiveness, or quality. Prescription required restrictions at for hers dot com apply.
Speaker 3: With the online savings. That was a good point I tell people to all, it's like you got to treat your savings like a bill, like how you have your bill, your car bill. Like you can't afford to not pay your car bill. You can't afford to not pay your cell phone bill. So savings, like you said, no matter how much it is, it should be a line item and a bill. I think, but I wanted touch on. I had a few questions. So first when you had mentioned with your husband with HR, so I didn't even know that was possible. So somebody's paycheck can be split into different bank accounts for direct depositis.
Speaker 4: Typically up to four so most mid size so like even my company, I don't have some huge company, but we're able to do that. So typically up to four splits. And so if you're if you're a single.
Speaker 2: Ready to mingle, I would say your bill's.
Speaker 4: Account a like, and your savings account and your spending account.
Speaker 2: So I would do the three right.
Speaker 4: So, but if you are in a relationship where you're like sharing expenses, then I would have four. I believe that you should have some autonomy over your finances as well as responsibility because you're with someone. So that would be a personal savings each person, a joint safe thanks and joint bills and and and then your own spending accounts. So to checking two savings, so one of the checking one of the savings is yours and the other checking the other savings is someone else's I'm well belongs to collectively to the whole.
Speaker 3: And all you have to do is just go to HR And it's like a form like the regular direct depositive form that you fill out, but it's just like you can just add different bank accounts to it, yes, and tell them this.
Speaker 4: Is the amount, like well, like you know, my check is five thousand dollars, you know, like to say a pay period, a thousand goes here, a thousand goes here, a thousand goes here and so now like the other day, because because because it's online only savings, we don't look at it all the time.
Speaker 2: My husband is like, yo, babe, I got mad money in my savings. I'm like, okay, you're welcome, I upgrade, right.
Speaker 4: But he was like, never had this much save because he doesn't think about it. It's been like the last two or three years, and money will just land. So my husband is the type maybe this is all.
Speaker 2: Man with their boys. You know, your boys be like yo, yo, you can let me hold thirty dollars. You will let me, you know.
Speaker 7: And so he would always be like, yo, behave such and such as you know such and such a struggling to be and I'd be like, who tone, I don't even like tone, right, but like you know so now because so we would have to be talking back and forth to take money out of.
Speaker 2: Our joint pot.
Speaker 4: So now there's none of that because one you have your own allowance money and you have your own savings. You want to give tone all your savior and that's how you want to live your life.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, you know its joint account exactly.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm looking at the joint saving and the doorbell, I say, okay, long as I'll see no tone bill and that So it allows you, you know, so everyone to feel like you're part of this.
Speaker 2: Community where you're all contributing.
Speaker 4: But allows you to have autonomy, like he could do whatever he wants with well, not whatever he wants, but you know what I mean, like with his money, he can decide. And so I think that works best for if you're in a significant relationship with someone.
Speaker 3: And another thing, the last question showed the online savings. Like I said, I believe the same thing you said, as far as it's good to have it now with the bank like I Chase. I have Chase from my business and my personal bank account, but I have Capital one my online savings. And yeah, the reason is that it's notice a whole hassle to get the money. You gotta wait like three days. So psychologically it's like out of sight, out of mind when you when you when I log on the Chase app, I don't see it. I even forget about it. I was just thinking about it just now, like I forgot about haven't I forgot about it? I haven't really been you know what I'm saying. So, but what do you have any top banks that you're recommending like or like interest rates that we should be because I figure, I forget what my interest rate is. I know it's slightly higher, like you said, because online banks don't have the same brick and mortar expenses as regular traditional banks do. So it's always good to have an online bank for the higher interest rate. But are there any ones that in particular right now that's paying higher interest rates than others?
Speaker 4: There was so his being like one, I'm like, these banks will pay my bills.
Speaker 2: People always might know, but honestly, so the reason.
Speaker 4: Why I tell people like I, I'm currently with Ally Bank A L L Y right.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Ali Bank, back in the day they had the best They had the best interest rate.
Speaker 2: They don't anymore. Their interest rate is okay.
Speaker 4: I think last of my check it was like, well on one point five percent. But there are banks out there. There was a Credit Union when I looked at Magnifying Money the other day that was given two percent. So I definitely say go for the bank that's giving the highest indust rate. There's also Goldman Sachs has a has a bank account called like Marcus my Goldman Sachs you know. That's another one. So you know, I say that there isn't a best bank. If the bank is FDIC insured and they're paying you the highest interest rate, that's the best bank. Like I said, I like ally, but I'm only there now because I signed up with them originally. But best believe, go with the coins are you don't have to be loyal to your bank.
Speaker 2: They're not loyal to you. You know, go with who's giving you them coins. Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the things you said about having a joint account, you know I can attest to. I think it's a great idea, especially for married couples. I heard you preach about prepared to invest, right, So if you have that join account, what is something that couples could think about investing?
Speaker 2: So this is great.
Speaker 4: So people ask me, like, here's the steps to preparing to invest so you don't have to wait to invest for retirement. So to be clear, when I say retirement is an investment, the purpose of retirement is not so you're going You're not gonna live on no private island in retirement unless you're living on.
Speaker 2: A private island. Now.
Speaker 4: Retirement is so you can maintain your current lifestyle if you set aside twelve to fifteen percent of your income now your gross income now, and that's all you ever do. What that will inability to do is maintain your current lifestyle. So if you don't see palm trees next to you now, you ain't gonna see palm trees when you eighty.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So then so you do that first and foremost, because you must set aside for your future self and it's your younger self job to look after your future self, so that comes first. Then after you're doing that, then you have to have a budget. Right, you have to have some sort of physical plan of what your money is doing. This much is going to build, this much is going to spend him something.
Speaker 2: So that's step two. Do you have a budget? Check before people say or I want to invest, I'm like slow down, slow down? Son? You killing them? Who's filling them with? Obtained? You didn't not have boss? Right, So that's too. Do you have a budget? Great? Now, step number three right, do you have savings? Right? So, do you have emergency.
Speaker 4: Savings at minimum minimum minum during the recession I say six months. During a non recession, I say at least three months three months of your noodle budget? Meaning do you have three months of your essential bills saved? Because we already talked about if you were to lose your job, you're gonna drop down and get your noodle on. You're not gonna be living at the same You're not gonna be living at your three thousand dollar budge. You're gonna be living at your twenty five hundred dollar budget. So do you have at least three months of your noodle budget saved? That's important because that is going to help you if times get rough and tough.
Speaker 2: Do you have that great? Then number four, do you have high interest debt?
Speaker 4: Meaning how are you going to invest when you owe visa at eighteen nineteen twenty five thirty percent?
Speaker 2: Do you think you've got to get a.
Speaker 4: Return of fifteen thirteen you know, thirty percent? No, On average, the market yields about seven to eight percent a year.
Speaker 2: So what that means is you put your.
Speaker 4: Money in the market, on average, you're going to get back eight cents. Let's just say, but because you have credit card debt, you're losing eighteen cents a month or year. So you make it eight cents and losing eighteen cents the best thing you can do is pay off the credit card debt, the high interest credit card debt, because you're losing more than you're likely to gain in the market. So before you start investing, you and your boo, like, get rid of that high interest credit card debt first and foremost.
Speaker 2: So that's four. So now you've done all those four things.
Speaker 4: You feeling cue, Okay, you feeling spicy. Now we can leap into investing for wealth. So investing for wealth if you are a couple, if you don't know how to do nothing else, like you know, so most people are like, they're not really willing to do Like everybody wants to like trade options. They don't even know what that is. They want to, you know, everybody wants to buy stock. Then you bought Delta. How's that working out for you?
Speaker 2: Right now? How's Delta doing? It's doing terrible.
Speaker 4: I can tell you because I have Delta, and so most people want to do that. But truth is, most people are not willing to do the work for investing. That's okay, So this is what I tell people that instead, you can invest in a mutual fund. I prefer target date funds because it's like super super handholding a target date fund is a mutual fund that you pick the target date the date you want to pull out that money. So typically most target date funds are the date that you want to pull out that money. Typically is the date that you want to retire, so you might say twenty fifty, twenty forty five, twenty thirty five.
Speaker 2: They're usually five years apart.
Speaker 4: So you're going to pick a mutual fund that's a target date fund, right, A mutual fund, just so you know, for those listening, I'm sure you know, but you never know.
Speaker 2: It's a collection of investment.
Speaker 4: I like mutual funds that tend to be index funds, so they follow a particular index, like the S and P five hundred, which.
Speaker 2: Is basically like the market.
Speaker 4: So that means you're invested in a mutual fund that's an index fund.
Speaker 2: And it follows the market and your money.
Speaker 4: The reason why I like target date funds is that it rebalances like a true investor knows that they have to shift based upon how life like where they are in life. Most people don't do that, so a target date fund does it for you. A target date fund says you pick the target date of twenty fifty, it is now twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: We have thirty years.
Speaker 4: We got time, so the target day fund is going to be invested more aggressively because you have thirty years.
Speaker 2: The closer you get to twenty fifty.
Speaker 4: The more conservative automatically your investment is going to be invested because the target date fund is aware of twenty fifty is coming up. So the closer we get if it's twenty forty nine, then you're super You might be invested in all cash accounts, in bonds, super super conservative investments, right, so you don't not do anything else.
Speaker 2: You can buy a mutual.
Speaker 4: Fund that that's that's that follows an index fund like I said the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 2: Typically you can you can follow you look for a mutual fund.
Speaker 4: That's that's called a total market fund, meaning that your fund mimics a particular market like I said the S and P five hunder one hundred. So when the when the market goes up, your money goes up. When the market goes down, your money goes down. But we like we like I mentioned before, on average, the market yields about seven to eight percent a year, so you will you will over the over the next thirty years, you're gonna see about a seven eight percent game, which is great, you know, even like that's for people who are like I don't want to do.
Speaker 2: Nothing else like. And so when you're looking for a target date.
Speaker 4: Fund or mutual fund, you're looking for something called the expense ratio, and that is the fee that that fund is charging you the percentage of the money that you have invested with that fund. And so right now, like a Vanguard, they have one of the lowest expense ratio. So the broker's accounts that have ne funds and target date funds and these total market funds are like Vanguard, Fidality, Child Schwab. So you're gonna google expense ratio for First Fidelity, expense ratio for child Swab. I think like, right now, it's like the target fund for a total market target date fund for Vanguard. Right now it's like point zero six percent, which is great, right, not even points zero zero six percent, which is like something ridiculous, like a piece of a piece of a piece of piece of a penny. And so that's great because the average financial advisor is going to charge you one percent of the assets of your of your money that they've invested.
Speaker 2: So the financial advisor is gonna charge you one percent.
Speaker 4: Vanguard's going to charge you a piece of a piece of a piece of one percent, so you get to keep more of your money.
Speaker 2: Fees are the biggest hindrance to earning money.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not anti financial advisor, but you're spending a lot of money sometimes for them to do automatically what some of these automatic funds can do. Unless you have other things your financial advisor's doing for you. If there's just an'sting your money, bruh sis, just put it in a target day fund and let the fund automatically balance for you and you can keep most of your money. So if you're investing with your significant other, what I love is that you can literally say, hey, Vanguard, we want to open up a mutual fund. Would prefer a target day fund that's invested in an index. So do you have like I know, Vanguard literally has one called your total market fund, or you have a total market fund, Okay, open it up. We're going to be putting two hundred dollars a month. Just you can have that transferred automatically from your savings account.
Speaker 2: Transfer your two hundred bucks a month.
Speaker 4: Because you already have your three months of savings, transfer your three hundred bucks a month or two hundred bucks a month into that account and let it grow.
Speaker 2: You kind of set it in and semi forget it. So that's like the easiest possible way to start investing.
Speaker 4: If you do that, you will be better off than ninety nine or nine point most people.
Speaker 2: And just keep it really simple.
Speaker 4: I think investing should be really simple, unless, like you really are interested.
Speaker 2: In learning how to buy individual stocks.
Speaker 4: But you have to when it comes to investing in the traditional sense and like the market, keep it simple. And then you can also invest by starting a business. You can invest by writing a book. There's other ways to invest. You can invest by real estate, like I do all those things. I have residual investments where I have books that pay me a few thousand dollars a month from books I've written years ago. I have a business that you know, that's an investment as well. I put money into that business and it yields money back. I also have real estate. You know, even in your primary your primary residence, you have to think about that as an investment, and you have to understand that The key with investing is you should make money on the buy, not necessarily to sell.
Speaker 2: So meaning this is then if you always make sure you make money on the buy, you never lose.
Speaker 4: But it's time to sell. So bought this house I'm living in now cash s life flex. But it was a foreclosure so it was worth at the time maybe three twenty because it was kind of like a little bit beat up, and.
Speaker 2: We bought it for one eighty.
Speaker 4: So we made money on a buy even if nothing else we didn't fix it up.
Speaker 2: We're like, yo, we tired, we ran out of money to fix it up. We bought it for one eighty.
Speaker 4: House that's worth three twenty, So we made money on the buy, no matter what. So even now they're talking about the market.
Speaker 2: It's gonna drop, I'm not worried about it.
Speaker 4: It would have to drop a whole hell of a lot for a house worth three twenty to drop down to one eighty, you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So we so then we then we renovated the place. So now I just got the house of praise.
Speaker 4: We renovated it. The house is now worth three ninety. So it's like even if we never renovated, we was gonna win. So same thing with stocks, you know that like you make money on the buy, you know, not necessarily, like you don't want to have to wait for the cell.
Speaker 2: But not enough people do that.
Speaker 4: They want to jump into the market right now because you know your your neighbor's like, oh I bought.
Speaker 2: Oh you're not in, but yond me? Uh oh you don't do bitcoin. Meanwhile, you don't know nothing. Know what they're talking about.
Speaker 4: Don't jump in and lose your money. Like, if you're not going to do the research, you're gonna be broke. Get you an index fund, you know, invest in things that you're willing to do the research on, or invest in semi automated super simple investments, and you'll be fine. You don't have to have your investment should honestly largely be boring. You don't have to have the hottest stock.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 8: I'm Sherry Harris, owner of Life Source Water. As a new grandmother in lifelong Californian, I care about what's in the water my family uses every day. For over forty years, our whole house water system has protected Bay Area families with filtered water from every tap. Now we are offering a double dip in savings free basic installation plus an extra two hundred and fifty dollars off.
Speaker 2: That's up to twelve.
Speaker 8: Hundred dollars in savings. Call our factory at one eight hundred Water nine nine or visit life sourcewater dot com hurry offer in September thirty. Warranty limitations apply