Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Watch this read goes a story about the boy and the fish. I'm gonna read it to you all on Italian.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, he's probably gonna do this bit to every waiter you meet today.
Speaker 4: We got to start the show little day.
Speaker 3: Apologies to our Italian listeners if he's actually saying this correctly, but I cannot sit through this.
Speaker 2: Sera parl mandh at night, pallos e can fish?
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 4: Any of that? Did you say anything about Lebron?
Speaker 2: Stop trying to make Lebron jokes while I'm trying to show you how much I've learned it.
Speaker 4: Lebron actually kind of sounds like an Italian day.
Speaker 2: Stop it, You've ruined the whole thing. I'm trying to become trilingual. Welcome in another episode of What's Right with Nick Right, the podcast and YouTube show, our final episode before we go on an Italian vacation. By we, I mean me and my wife and some other people. Unfortunately Demonse not going. His past application got denied. But that's neither here nor there. Demanse will be here working building a new podcast studio for us, doing so many things I haven't told you about. That You've been commissioned into the labor at our where the new podcast who is going to be that's either here or there.
Speaker 5: We have a lot to do today, including me taking.
Speaker 2: The effort to get you on HBO as Byron Scott to the next level, trying to commission other media.
Speaker 5: Members that will be on the show today.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited for today's show because it is the last show before we go on vacation, and to me, this is the last show before football season truly begins. So let's get started right now how we always do with what is not on the show. Here's what did not make the cut for today's show. Not on the show is tray Von Diggs quitting Twitter because it's too toxic. Again, folks, just don't check your mentions today. Also in the NFL, Rogers iouse, oh wow, ayahuasca, ayahuasca? Pardon me, the NFL saying Aaron Rodgers ayahuasca use is legal? And oh yeah, my buddy Mavericks said how much tequila? The answer was four cases, six bottles of every flavor of Lobos. That is, I think I gave one away to a friend, I brought one to a poker game. I already had opened one, but that's I think twenty two or yeah, twenty one or twenty two bottles. That's six of the blancos, six of the Rapisodo, six of the extra on Jehoe, which I particularly like, in six of the mescal, which I have not yet tried.
Speaker 5: So shout out to Lobos and shout.
Speaker 3: Out how much do you think that would have cost you? How much do you think it would have sent if you ranked their raw number two?
Speaker 2: Listen, Maverick and Min's friendship is totally independent of my feelings about Lebron James, Okay, totally.
Speaker 5: We never discussed Lebron when we see each other.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, really, yeah, Maverick, we talk about I am interested in his business endeavors. He's interested in the media field to a degree, and that's.
Speaker 5: What we talk about.
Speaker 4: It's mutualism.
Speaker 2: That it's mutualism, I'm not certain sure let's call it that. I've never used that word before, but I think you probably, I think that's probably right. Yeah, we have a good friendship independent and the few times I've interacted with Lebron Maverick hasn't been there. These are unrelated things. It's just so I don't need you furthering that scurriless rumor that those the friendship is based on some type of you know, beneficial Okay, that's fine. One last note though, I do want to say about there was oh yeah, before we get to the show. We have found six people who got the twelve players correct in order on the on the Twitter context. I will later today when you guys hear this on Thursday, I will tweet out who the grand prize winner is, coordinate with them their charity and the money, do all of that, and then I will also reach out to the other five people who we believe were the only six people to get it right. The grand prize winners, of course, the person who was the first person to respond with all twelve names correctly. If you are one of the people that got it right and you do not get a tweet from me and from What's Right or from What's Right tomorrow, reach out to the What's Right show feed, my feed, Demonse's feed, anyone's feed, and tell us we missed you. Because there were so many injuries, it's possible we miss somebody. So we will do that tomorrow, which is actually today. With the fact of matters, we'll do it Thursday. Now, Demonse, let's get the show actually started. What are we leading off with?
Speaker 3: Let's do it, Katie told the NETS owner Joe Say, it's either him or Sean Marx and Steve Nash. Say a little later tweeted his support for Marx and Nash. Yep, you said that Katie managed to checkmate a billionaire. Yeah, but what exactly would make Katie happy you got traded?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's I don't know.
Speaker 2: And the point that I was making was this, I don't know that Kevin Durant actually wants these guys fire. If he's a smart guy, if he wanted these guys fired. The way to go about that is back in July, instead of demanding a trade, go to Joe Sie and say hey, fire them, or I will demand a trade and keep that private. Instead, he has gone about it in a way that leads me to believe he asked for something that he knows he's not going to get. Asking for a head coach to be fired is not unprecedented, but it is still quite rare. I mean, Magic Johnson did it forty years ago, we still remember it. Dwight Howard did it. We remember the Stan van Gundy press conference. There were rumblings that Lebron was implying it about Spolstra, and then his outright did it with David Blatt. But it is very rare that a superstar Flatley says fire the coach. It is damn near unprecedented that a super star says fire the coach and the GM and then and here's the other part of it, does it and then clearly leaks it.
Speaker 5: His people leak it to Cham's. So why do they do that?
Speaker 2: Because it makes bringing him back untenable unless.
Speaker 5: You're going to make fire him.
Speaker 2: Which Josiah is not going to do. When SI made it clear he's not going to do. How can you ask Steve Nash to coach him now? And I think Kevin Duranton knows that. So I think KD was just escalating the situation to a place where bringing him back is untenable because there were some feelings across the league. Ah, they're not going to trade him, So what will make him happy?
Speaker 5: Again? I don't know that.
Speaker 2: You know, Katie's search for happiness seems to be an evaporating goal line for him or goalpost. But I think in the moment, what he would say would make him happy would be if they traded. And we you know there's been the Boston trade that's been out there. The New York Daily News just day before yesterday put out almost player for player, the exact trade I proposed, brandon ingram Herb Jones, I said Larry Nance. I think he said in the article DeVante Graham doesn't matter the same thing Jose Albarado was in it, and then all the draft picks. That's the trade that I think makes the most sense. You have to sell KD on the New Orleans piece of it, because here's the other thing that I've heard people speculate, Well, you piss off. Joe said, what if he sends you to Sacramento? What if he sends you somewhere you don't.
Speaker 4: Want to be?
Speaker 2: And people are operating under the foolish assumption that any organization in the league would benefit or want to have an unhappy, angry Kevin Durant, Right, you're not going to trade for kad.
Speaker 5: Unless he says I want to be there because the.
Speaker 2: Team that just traded him has him under contract and would only be trading him because he said I don't want to be there. And so I think the trade is going to happen. I think it's going to happen before the season begins, Will happen before training camp? I don't know, but I do think it's gonna happen. All Right, we're still talking, Durant.
Speaker 4: I think more Kadie.
Speaker 3: Katie's about to be on his fourteen in seven years, his legacy will be ruining the nets and joining the best team ever, the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: As a basketball historian, will people remember Katie for his play or will they.
Speaker 4: Remember him for his business decisions?
Speaker 5: Oh? I think it's played.
Speaker 2: I think that the Warriors piece of it, well, that part I know people like to say, oh, history doesn't remember the details. Certain details history does remember, Okay. The people know when we talk about, for instance, a player not of Katie's caliber, but a great player, Clyde Drexler, that yes, Clyde won his ring, and yes he was a key piece of a championship team, but he did it on the defending champion Houston Rockets.
Speaker 5: People know that.
Speaker 2: People when they talk about Bill Walton, they remember, yes, he's a two time champion. But people know, if you know anything about Bill Walton, there is one championship that he was the driving force behind with the Blazers in seventy seven, and then there was the other championship where he was the sixth man with the Celtics in eighty six. They don't look at them exactly the same, just like people.
Speaker 5: Would take Shaq and Kobe.
Speaker 2: People know that Shaq won four rings and the last of which he was still a very good player, but d Wade was the driving force and they know. So Kobe won five rings, four of which he was a huge part of the first one not quite so much. But they also know that the last two were his rings, so it will always be a part of Durant's legacy that if let me add this, especially if he doesn't win another title, that the two titles he won was alongside Steph Curry.
Speaker 5: Yes, he was the Finals MVP.
Speaker 2: He was the best player on the Warriors in those series, but it was with the Warriors who won a title before he got there, had the seventy three wins before he got there, and then the real kind of knife to the back won a title after he left, right, So that is going to be part of the story. I do not think this next tenure is going to be a big part of his story. I think when people talk about Kevin Durant, they're going to talk about how brilliant he was immediately, how he was in thes at twenty two years old with the Thunder, about how he was in the conference finals, or further every year that he was healthy and his team was healthy, how he then went to the Warriors and was the final piece of what many people believe to be the best team ever. And then I think they are going to talk about whatever this next and most likely.
Speaker 5: Last chapter is. I think they will kind of gloss over then.
Speaker 2: After leaving the Warriors, miss year with the Achilles played with the Nets for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: That team was a mess. Kyrie that will be more.
Speaker 2: The Nets tenure will be a huge, much bigger part of Kyrie's story than Kevin Durant's story, especially because Durant in his first year with the well, his first healthy year with the Nets, not this past season, with the season before, was phenomenal in that series against Milwaukee, and what people will remember, I believe from the Nets part of his career is not was.
Speaker 5: Swept by the Celtics. What they'll remember is the foot on the line Game seven.
Speaker 2: I think people will remember how brilliant he was in Game five against Milwaukee and then the foot on the line. What people thought was the game winning three to beat Giannis and instead foot on the line, which as Giannis's legend continues to grow, that actually becomes not a knock on Durant, but almost a boon for Durant. I just want to remind people real quick, I'm gonna pull it up before we move on, how unbelievable he.
Speaker 5: Was in that series.
Speaker 2: He ran out of gas in overtime of Game seven, so so be it. But in that series I can put I've got it right here the twenty twenty one Eastern Conference Semifinals, Kevin Durant average thirty five points, eleven rebounds, five assists on fifty percent shooting. And if you really go to because if you remember that they had Kyrie for the first four games and then Kyrie got hurt, those final three games of that series, he was.
Speaker 5: He was good.
Speaker 2: The first three scored at least twenty eight and in the first four, I should say, scored twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty and thirty two. In the final three games of that series, Game five, he played all forty eight minutes. It's the best game of his career. He had forty nine, seventeen, ten, three and two, playing all forty eight minutes. Game Game six, that was the one in Milwaukee where they got blown out, he had thirty two, eleven and three. And then Game seven at home, he played all fifty three minutes and had forty eight, nine and six, and then in overtime ran out of gas, which is why the field goal percentage got hurt. But that Game five, forty nine, seventeen and ten with a compromise James Harden, no Kyrie, and by the way, those forty nine points on Si sixteen of twenty three, shooting on seventy percent.
Speaker 5: It's the best game he's ever played. All right, let's let's move on.
Speaker 4: You tweeted that the Patriots offense will be a train wreck this season. Mac Jones has really struggle. Reports also from practice that the offense looks totally out of whack. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is in bet New England under eight and a half?
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: I mean they're no faith in old Belichick.
Speaker 5: Huh No, not this year. They the Patriots.
Speaker 2: This is a shocking fact. They have the most expensive tight ends in football, the third most expensive wide receivers in football. The league average on cap this year on tight ends and wide receivers combined is thirty five million. The Patriots are spending seventy million. There's only one other team spending more than fifty million. They are spending the most on that position, those two positions, on pass catchers of any even in the league, by far.
Speaker 5: And they don't have a single.
Speaker 2: A level player. It's Devonte Parker, it's John U. Smith, It's Hunter Henry, it's Nelson Aglar. So that is they have more than a third of their cap in wide receivers and tight ends without there being a great one in the group. So that's another thing that I'll pull up for you real quick, because I think this is super interesting when you look at what other teams have done so right, So if you look at the other most expensive wide receiver rooms in football, it is the Chargers who have Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. The Giants who have not done a good job there, but Kenny Galladay is just making a ton of money.
Speaker 5: At least Kenny Galladay is good.
Speaker 2: The Jags who are not well run, but they have Zay Jones, Christian Kirk and Marvin Jones. All three of those guys better than the Patriots best guy. The Bucks who have Mike Evans are paying Michael Thomas a ton of money, the Cardinals who have DeAndre Hopkins, the Rams who have Cooper Cup, and then the Patriots spending more than all those teams. With the Chargers and Giants, you look at the most expensive No other team in the league is spending twenty million on tight ends. The Patriots are spending thirty one million on tight ends. It's just a insane thing. They've done to spend all that money in theory to support Mac Jones. I get it, but none of the guys are that good. And then you have the what I think is going to be an obvious regression from Mac Jones, a huge problem going from Josh McDaniels to Matt Patricia.
Speaker 5: I yeah.
Speaker 2: And one other point about the Patriots, and one of the reasons all take the underform. They start the year with what I feel to be a brutal schedule, and they end the year with an impossible schedule, so they will be underdogs the first four weeks of the season. They're at the Dolphins, they're underdogs. Then they're at Pittsburgh. I think they're one point favorites in that game, but I don't as much as I think the Steelers offense is gonna be a mess, I don't trust the Patriots' ability to move the ball in that defense. Then home for the Ravens underdogs at the Packers underdogs, So they'll be underdogs in three of their first four games and not a significant favorite in any of them. Then the schedule softens up, and then the final seven games at Minnesota underdogs. Home for the Bills underdogs at the Cardinals underdogs at the Raiders underdogs, home for the Bengals underdogs, home for the Dolphins, favorites.
Speaker 5: At the Bills underdogs.
Speaker 2: So you start your year without a single game, you're significantly favored. You injure year as underdogs in six of your seven games. And I understand the middle part of the year's easy. They have Detroit, they have Cleveland, they have two games against the Jets. I get all that, Yeah, I in fact, I would get plus money on this. I think the Jacksonville Jaguars will win as many or more games than the New England Patriots this year. I said that on team on Wednesday. I'll stand by it, all right, what's next?
Speaker 4: All right? Serena Williams is announced for retirement. Yep.
Speaker 3: She said the US Open could be her last tournament. Is Serena the most important athlete of our lifetimes?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: That's such an interesting question. She the most important athlete of our lifetime.
Speaker 2: I've never thought of it that way, because our lifetime obviously means we can include Jackie, you can include Kareem, you can't include Ali. Right, Tiger was pretty damn important, uh, Tiger changing golf, opening golf up the way he did. Culturally, Jordan had a different type of residence. Jordan, obviously and Magic were very important. Lebron's been very important. Serena has a claim to it because not only she was revolutionary from a racial perspective in tennis along with her sister in making it not a lily white sport. A black woman dominated it for you know, two decades, but also for women's sports, showing that if it's played at a high enough level, it can outrate and be more popular than the men's side of things. I know there's nothing more cliche in sports media than Mount Rushmore's, but she is unquestionably on my all time sports Mount Rushmore, my all times.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give it to your old.
Speaker 4: It's the top four. Basically, it's a top fall.
Speaker 5: No top four, that's right, there's four on Mount Rushmore. I'll give you that. Hold on. No one in the production room feed this to them. I will give you.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say ten thousand dollars, one thousand dollars if you can name the.
Speaker 5: Four presidents on the mountain, get that out of here. Okay, can't know it.
Speaker 4: George Washington, there's one what's his name? Kennedy.
Speaker 5: Nope, not on there. Sorry, that's right. It's all right, man, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: So it's okay, who do sports?
Speaker 5: I would have thought you would have gotten to I know another one.
Speaker 4: Who's the other one? Abe there?
Speaker 5: Okay, good job, thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 2: All right, two for four I was okay. Sports, Mount Rushmore, here's how I do it. What are the oldest sports.
Speaker 4: In the world Baseball?
Speaker 5: Nope, you think about the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Since the beginning of time, since before there were organized team sports, what were the physical activities people were doing?
Speaker 5: Running and fighting?
Speaker 2: So on your sports, Mount Rushmore, I think you have to have the greatest runner and the greatest fighter. So Bolt and Ali have to be there. Boult's the fastest man in human history. Ali's the greatest fighter in human history. All right, what are you laughing about?
Speaker 5: What are the producers?
Speaker 2: Joe get on there, Joey Okay, that's the nick Right public defender thing. No, he does not get on there, even though I made a great case for him. Okay, and we're gonna play Nick Wright public defender later. It's the game that's taken the world by storm. So the fastest man ever and the greatest fighter ever have to be on there, So Usain Balt, Muhammad Ali are on there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Half the world's population is women, so the greatest female athlete of all time has to be on there. There's Serena and then just the greatest overall athlete. It helps if it's a team sport athlete, the greatest team sport athlete of all time, Lebron.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what it is. Who are you gonna put on there? Some people would argue, you're gonna put Tom Brady on there. Here's the thing about Brady. I want all of the athletes in my athlete Mount Rushmore to actually be awesome athletes, like I want all of them like Grady athletic tie. If it's a tie, it's gonna go to the guy who's a great athlete.
Speaker 5: If I'm doing Athlete Mount Rushmore. So Jordan obviously.
Speaker 2: Has a case, right, and I would you know, Jim Brown maybe has a case. Maybe one day Mahomes will have a case to bump off Lebron because he was a great baseball player too. But in my I think three of the four to me, three of the four spots are lucked like I want the fastest man ever, I want the best fighter ever. I want the greatest female athlete ever. And then I want the best team sport athlete ever. And that's Lebron. So there's my four soccer players can make a case, I get it, But there's my sports. Mount Rushmore, balt Ali, Serena, Lebron will be right back.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblest, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion. An Unstoppable a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 4: I want to see Mount Weshmore. Where's that in Vancouver to Washington? Hold on, hold on, hold on, Oh, Vancouver's in Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would be an odd thing, not having the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not Oregon, Nope, it's somewhere on the like I don't want to say the name west on the west side, South Dakota, South Dakota.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no reason to go there. The only thing in South Dakota is it's not that great.
Speaker 4: No reason you touch it. I think, can you go?
Speaker 5: Can you touch it?
Speaker 4: Is that pretty good there? It is?
Speaker 5: I mean you can look. Yeah, you definitely can't touch it.
Speaker 4: That's like really an amazing piece of work.
Speaker 5: It's an amazing accompany. The fact that that was able to do. Yeah, all of them.
Speaker 4: No, it's just wild to these are rocks. No, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: It's amazing that they were able to. I don't understand how.
Speaker 4: And at the time that they did it.
Speaker 5: That's another good Well when was it made? Nineteen twenty seven? Yeah, Vancouver is such a hilarious guy.
Speaker 2: That was one of my first bits I ever did on on TV on the Herd was me trying to execute a trade with Canada where we got Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
Speaker 5: They're three cool cities, and we.
Speaker 2: Gave them North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.
Speaker 5: We gave them that entire useless part of the country.
Speaker 3: Dude, just imagine all those people that Livelian, your natives. Some people say that it's nothing, but to some people, you know, it's everything. That's how I feel about Kansas City.
Speaker 5: In Kan's City, though, is a real city.
Speaker 2: Those five states, what.
Speaker 5: Happens have the population of New York City. I'm bitter towards him because they get one tenth.
Speaker 2: Of the US Senate just from there, and it's just ten conservative Republican votes every time.
Speaker 5: And the fact that we have two Dapotas so stupid. Make DC a state and just call and have one Dakota. How about that? That seems fair? All right? Welcome back? What's right?
Speaker 4: Nick Right?
Speaker 2: Coming up in the next segment, I showed him onsay, my undying loyalty crosses over from this podcast to another one's. We try to get him on HBO, But first, before we get to the game that's sweeping the nation, Nick Right, public defender, there's something else you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are going to be high on the Lions after this hard knocks, huh, especially after the Jamal's margin, William's emotional speech.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you willing to go in on the lines as well, you buying the hype?
Speaker 5: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: I like Dan Campbell just fine. But I I gotta tell you some about Jamal Williams speech that has gone viral, and this is gonna be unpopular.
Speaker 5: I have my doubts on whether or not that speech.
Speaker 2: Including him, like I get emotional talking about you guys, happens if the Hard Knocks cameras aren't there.
Speaker 5: It felt a little performative.
Speaker 2: It felt a little bit like I was kind of waiting for him midway through the speech to be like, where's my camera?
Speaker 4: Like dude, It.
Speaker 2: Felt a little bit like, okay, all right, man, you mate listen. Maybe I'm being unfair to Jamal. Everyone likes Jamal Williams. It was a fun character when he was with the Packers. He's a fine player. Felt a little performative, and Dan Campbell is a great Hard Knocks character. But the Vikings are gonna be fine. The Bears I picked as a sleeper team. I'm I'm getting a little squeamish on them. The Packers are gonna be good. I the sleeper teams that I believe in are.
Speaker 4: So definitely not the Lions not a sleeper t.
Speaker 5: Definitely not the Lions. The Jags are a legit sleeper team.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's fair for me to call the Niners a sleeper team because I think people think the Niners are going to be good, but I think that they are potentially going to make the super Bowl, So that's like a next level you know, not, that's like sleeper means a team everyone thinks going to be bad that could be good. The one that I'm most confident in is the Jags. The next one that I think has a chance, I want to say Carolina because a Baker, but I don't really believe it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have I know, but I think their coach is a Dupess.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm my only sleeper teams the Jags. That's the only one I'm going with, the Jags. All right, let's play the game, Nick, right, public defender? Do you have to get in costume?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: This is every decision you ever made in your life?
Speaker 2: Is point putting on a white wig on a stupid podcast?
Speaker 4: Need to be on Mount Rushmore?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, that does look it does look like that, all right.
Speaker 2: If people don't understand how this game works, it means you missed one episode.
Speaker 5: Of the podcast how Dare You?
Speaker 2: But demands gives me seemingly indefensible positions, and I defend them.
Speaker 5: And by the way, this does not mean I.
Speaker 2: Believe these things, just as any true public defender does. You must defend your clients with vigor and enthusiastic I.
Speaker 4: Think that's a nasty rule.
Speaker 3: By the way, what sorry not to get political or anything when we are playing public defenders. Yeah, I really hate that. Like you know, with some cases that public defenders or lawyers they have to represent a really really bad person to the best of their.
Speaker 4: Ability, even though they've been he done some really bad stuff. I just think it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a staple of the American judicials exactly.
Speaker 4: You don't like it, It's really strange to me.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love it. I think it's great.
Speaker 4: Listen, get you money, you as my as my public.
Speaker 2: Defenders make almost no money. Now, private lawyers make a lot of money. But for like the Seventh Straight Show, to quote my buddy last low As, everybody makes a decision at some.
Speaker 5: Point they're life.
Speaker 2: Would I be a prosecutor or would I be a defense attorney? And I would be a defensive I I there was it is there is no world that could exist where I could sleep at night being a prosecutor. There are a lot of worlds that could exist where I could sleep great at night, probably on a very plush bed being uh, you know, being a.
Speaker 5: Criminal defense attorney. All right, what's first?
Speaker 3: Rick Buker said he heard the NETS group chat asked Ben Simmons last season, well as Ben Simmons if he's going to play in the playoffs last season, and.
Speaker 4: Instead of answering, he left the chat.
Speaker 3: Nick, your client is Ben Simmons to defend his action?
Speaker 2: Okay, again, this is Nick write public defender, which does not mean these opinions are actually held by Nick. Right, But as Nick write public defender, I have nothing to defend. This story is a parse, it's made up, it's nonsense. I would like to know who in the group chat was telling Rick Buker about the group chat.
Speaker 5: Does he have a direct source here? I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: And in fact, as I would bring exhibit a something that just came from nesson dot com, uh, refuting the story uh the athletics cham Sharania said this from nesson dot com that it was quote a work of fiction, So I don't need to defend my client Ben Simmons behavior because the behavior never happened.
Speaker 4: It sounds like Ben Simmons behavior.
Speaker 5: What sounds like Ben Simmons behavior?
Speaker 4: Being asked if you're going to play well, you know what not answering.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you said that because that you know what? That sounds like.
Speaker 2: Ah, stories too good to check out. Oh it sounds this is so believable and it's so on brand. Do I need to vet this story or can I just run with it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't need to defend my client's behavior because Mike, do I need to defend the bank he didn't rob. Do I defend the house he didn't break into. No, just like I don't need to defend the group chat he never left.
Speaker 4: You do need to defend him ever having a back injury, but he had surgery.
Speaker 5: Oh you think he had an unnecessary surgery.
Speaker 4: Hey, By the.
Speaker 2: Way, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking at you wearing a judge's wig and having a gavel? Are you the judge or you the prosecutor? Because you need to pick a lane, sir, I rest my case.
Speaker 5: Bang the gabble.
Speaker 4: Next, Kelly oly Or a snapback to his wedding.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, We've got some photos to show you. Okay, Yeah, there he is with a stat back, nice looking at If your your client is a winning defend his fashion decision.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we live in a time where it is we are learning about privilege and what it means.
Speaker 7: To have it.
Speaker 2: It's male privilege, there's white privilege, there's you know, sis.
Speaker 5: Jin privilege all over.
Speaker 2: There's a privilege that people don't talk about, but it's just as.
Speaker 5: Real as the others. And that is pretty privilege.
Speaker 2: What the privilege of walking around a good looking person your whole life and the doors that opens, and the fashion decisions you don't have to make. My client, mister Olennock has a lot of things going for them. Being attractive to the eye is not one of them. And therefore, on the day of his wedding, when he's marrying his beautiful woman and wants to maybe distract people from you know, let's call it his otherwise unique look, he's gonna wear a different tuxt than some people, maybe throw a hat on. So yeah, maybe you, sir, don't have to worry about that because you have had the blessing of being handsome your whole life. Those of us that don't, sometimes we've got to, you know, do a little sleight of hand. Throw on some jewelry if you will, grow new haircuts, wear hats where it wouldn't otherwise be acceptable, so people aren't like, hah, that's a funny looking dude.
Speaker 5: So yeah, please set.
Speaker 2: Your pretty privilege at the door and allow my client to get married however he damn well chooses.
Speaker 5: I rest my case.
Speaker 4: You're wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm okay by the gabble. If you're gonna have to gabble every time, I rest my case.
Speaker 4: All right, next case, Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Justin Tucker received a four year, one hundred or one hundred twenty four million dollar extension with the Ravens. Uh huh, making him the highest paid kicker of all timer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, make your client is Justin Tucker.
Speaker 3: If finn kickers making six million dollars a year, which is absolute BS, but.
Speaker 5: Be six million. You're right, you know what, You're right.
Speaker 2: It is BS that he's making six million when it should be sixteen million a year. You know, how would that more than seventy percent of NFL games come down to one score? You know what I would like to have the greatest in the history of kicking footballs, the greatest kicker ever, the most accurate kicker ever. And I'm just gonna ask you this. Let me go ahead and go to average annual value.
Speaker 5: And let's pick a position.
Speaker 2: Let's pick the old tight end position, which, while important, I would argue, is not going to decide nearly as many games as kickers are. Who are some tight ends that make around six million dollars a year?
Speaker 5: Well, who adds more value to your football team?
Speaker 2: Tyler Conklin, who I'll give anybody one hundred bucks of agan shout out what team he plays for. Cameron brad who was the third string tight end for the Bucks last year, Nick Boyle, who's the second string tight end for the Ravens. They all make more than six million dollars a year.
Speaker 5: Let's make another position.
Speaker 2: Let's go to uh let's go to safeties, and let's just see what safeties are making six million dollars a year, and then you tell me if you'd rather have them or the greatest kicker of all time. Okay, here's a six million dollars a year safety, h Von Bell Or what about Jordan Whitehead at seven million or Tracy Walker at eight point three million? Would you rather have them? Or would you rather have the greatest kicker of all time?
Speaker 5: All Nick? What about quarterback? Okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Let's see how many backup quarterbacks in the league are making around six million dollars a year? And you tell me, would you rather have Mason Rudolph, Tyrod Taylor, case Keeno who just walked around and nobody and none of his teammates even knew who he was. Who'd rather have case Keenum, who you hope never takes a snap all year?
Speaker 5: Or a guy who literally can win you Super Bowls?
Speaker 3: So you tell me this case sounds like you've got Justin Tucker on your Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: No, but he's the greatest kicker ever. He is the greatest kicker ever. Six million is a bargain.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Would you rather pay six million for Justin Tucker or six and a half million for Teddy Bridgewater.
Speaker 3: To not like what'd you say? His job definitely gets heated at times.
Speaker 4: But hey man, let's be real.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's yeah, let's be real. You need a reliable kicker to win a Super Bowl he's the most reliable kicker of all time. He had a sixty six yarder to win a game last year against Detroit six million. It's one of the biggest bargains in sports. I rest my case, bang the gap.
Speaker 4: In the court.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: The Bears are trading All Pro linebacker Kwan Smith, probably their best player. Think your client is yourself?
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 4: Defend this? You saying the Bears?
Speaker 5: Why that stream shot at me with the pointing eleven and six for the Bears?
Speaker 2: All right, I can easily defend that. With new information, one's allowed to make new opinions. One of the huge reasons I was high on the Bears was I was effecting a massive year.
Speaker 5: From Roquan Smith.
Speaker 2: Obviously, if he's gone, the predictions totally technicality, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: It's totally removed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know if you saw what I had the Packers there. If Aaron Rodgers announced his retirement tomorrow, would you demand I defend that or would you say, oh, that's different.
Speaker 5: So you're saying the Bears.
Speaker 2: Might be trading what some people would argue their best player, the guy who's been second team All Pro each of the last two year that same Bears team that has dealt with injuries already at the wide receiver position, and that same Bears team that maybe was slightly overvalued by me when I was picking all two hundred and seventy two games before the season.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So here's my defense. It was a Rokwan Smith dependent prediction. If roquwand Smith's gone, prediction gone, how about that?
Speaker 4: That's my defense that that was a fair argument. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was my worst argument. That was all of all my arguments. That was the worst one. That's the only one you agreed with. The Justin Tucker argument was impenetrable. It was perfect. What was the argument before that? Because it was damn good too.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I called Kelly Olinic funny look and that wasn't very nice, but it was funny.
Speaker 2: And the the other one about Ben Simmons, I just denied, you know, the old shaggy defense. It wasn't me. Those were all great defenses. The one about my bad Listen, the Bears pick was bad.
Speaker 5: There's nothing I can do about it. I rest my case.
Speaker 2: We try to get demnse on Hbo absent this stupid costume.
Speaker 5: Next, what's right? All right, Welcome back in final segment, What's Right? Nick great Man?
Speaker 2: Tuesday was a busy day for me. Tuesday I did the TV show, I did Colin Coward's podcast on the volume. I also did Michelle Beatles podcast. It was like a whole Sports Nation thing is Colin and Michelle were the original Sports Nation team. Michelle and I had never talked. We sparked a wonderful friendship that I'm sure will continue for years to come. And we brought you up to Monday. Let's play a clip for Michelle's podcast. A little cross promotion. I feel like this is somewhat of insider trading by our producer Gabe, who produces both of these but with his company Blue Duck. I know what you're doing here, Gabe, but it's smart by you. The more Michelle subscribers, the more Nick subscribers, the more land Gabe Camby on the Beaches of Venice. But okay, let's go to the clip for Michelle's podcast.
Speaker 5: Please, how do we.
Speaker 7: Get your son to play?
Speaker 5: Byron Scott? Like, what do we need to do? Is it a petition thing or so? I don't know. I feel like you have Hollywood juice. I was in shot Nato two. I think, so, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like you're you've been in commercials.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: My son is six ' three, has the exact same build as Byron Scott played college basketball.
Speaker 5: Okay, and a silky jump shot.
Speaker 2: Now he's twenty four, he's the exact age Byron Scott would be in winning time.
Speaker 6: Oh that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: He is the perfect Byron Scott. Can he act? Can he act? Do we know if he can act?
Speaker 2: It says in the thing acting experience irrelevant basketball experience is what we're looking for. Huh. And unlike some of the other people that have higher level basketball experience, you don't want it to be someone that the audience like, oh I remember him playing for Auburn exactly.
Speaker 5: That's distracting. I agree with that.
Speaker 2: You wanted to be someone like where did they find this guy? And the answer is the what's the right podcast?
Speaker 7: What I've seen of the show is the guys that are playing, you know, like magic, the necessarily one or the other. They just happen to be good enough at both skills, right, the acting in the basketball, and they were not big names, which I loved.
Speaker 2: And I don't think Byron Scott's gonna have a big role in the plot.
Speaker 6: He just needs to be there and be handsome.
Speaker 5: He needs to be there, be handsome and play basketball. I think you can do it. I'm in all this trying to make it happen.
Speaker 7: We're gonna call some agents and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Oh further, I'll look at that a nice little full screen for Oh okay.
Speaker 5: They're enough with the athletic. All right, Gabe, that's me. You're going there. You can take that off bit like the athletic.
Speaker 3: That was a very heartwarming interaction. That was Yeah, I appreciate it, and I really hope that they see that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the next step that needs to happen again, Demonse said.
Speaker 5: The Demonse stands. That's that's a phrasing.
Speaker 2: Friends of the Pod, Friends of the Pod fans, fans is okay. Fans of Demonse continue to tweet at HBO winning time at Ghost Panther.
Speaker 4: Advocate that deadline's coming up, I know.
Speaker 5: Advocating for Demanse to at least get an audition. That's first of all.
Speaker 2: Second of all, I came in the kitchen last night and you were watching something on Netflix.
Speaker 5: It seemed incredibly dumb. What were you watching?
Speaker 2: Do you remember it's a rewatch of something I'm sure you've already seen before. Do you not want to say, rather not specify, whatever it is?
Speaker 5: It was something? It was just a time waster.
Speaker 2: So here's the next step you need to do. You need to in the next four days watch the entirety start to finish of season one of Winning Time on HBO and send a follow up email with just a couple specifics from the series, like, Hey, I'm not sure if Byron Scott's role is going to be similar to player X, but if it is, here's another reason why I think I'm the perfect guy for it, And maybe include one of the clips from this show of us talking about.
Speaker 4: How you okay, all right?
Speaker 2: This is I just I think it's gonna be difficult for you to necessarily nail get the role.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's impossible.
Speaker 2: I do think you have a real chance of getting an audition. And that's the old foot in the door. So that's your homework between now and the next pod. That's a great photoshop. I will be monitoring from you know, the Italian coast and see how this goes, the pod is going to be dark for the next week. We might put up some best of stuff. I'm not quite certain. If not, just go back and listen to the Bob McAdoo episode of the fifty Greatest Players Last fifty years. It's an underrated one. Watch us on YouTube. Do all that, and everyone enjoy the last final parts of your summer. When we get back in a week and a half, we are hitting the ground running with football season.
Speaker 5: It seemed like there was something you wanted to say there.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna tell the fans since the podcast isn't going to be going on next week, if they wanted to, I could start up a periscope on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, unsupervised de yeah, by yourself, just just opening up the live stream to the audience or something. No, I'm just saying, you're gonna have this whole house to yourself. You gonna open up the periscope. Okay, I don't even know periscope is what it's called anymore.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Follow him on Twitter at demondse Bird. Follow the show at What's Right Show.
Speaker 5: I will talk to you guys in a week and a half