Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central down.
Speaker 2: From New York.
Speaker 3: City, the only city in America.
Speaker 4: It's the show, the News.
Speaker 3: This is the Daily Show with your host Daisy Lighting.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: I'm Dasie Lighting, and I am so happy I get to host the Daily Show this week. God, I am so excited. I just peed myself a little. I'm just kidding. It was a lot of pee. We got a great show for you tonight. So let's get into the headline.
Speaker 2: Let's kick things.
Speaker 5: Off with something I saw today and I just I have to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So last month, bud Light did a social media campaign with transgender influencer Dylan mulvaney, and conservatives absolutely lost their shit over it. They were filming themselves shooting cans, running over cans, hitting cans.
Speaker 2: With a baseball mat.
Speaker 5: It was like a Saw movie, but starring bud Light. But now their meltdown has even its own.
Speaker 3: Merch America presents real women of politics, real in in a politics.
Speaker 2: Real women don't have to fake.
Speaker 3: It, Real women doing real things.
Speaker 2: Real We may work to work brought.
Speaker 3: Some big companies can't tell the difference between real and fake anymore.
Speaker 2: Really, even all the difference.
Speaker 3: That's why we're introducing the real women of politics kusy. And if it covers up the label of a big woke company, will that works too?
Speaker 2: True women a polite? What the fuck? I was seriously though, what the hell?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but can you really imagine conservative men using this thing? I mean maybe as a pocket.
Speaker 2: Pucky, but that's it.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm out fishing, so this Kivy flashlight has got to get the job done. I never thought i'd miss the old beer commercials. I mean, sure, there were a lot of boobs, but at least they weren't.
Speaker 2: Like these boobs are biological boobs.
Speaker 5: This ad made no sense, Like, what was going on with that woman shoving a giant fish into a tiny bob? Is that something real women do? It wasn't even near the sea. It was like in a closet. What is a fish even to in a closet? Even that actor had no idea what was going on. She was like, please tell me, this is for porn And that's some weird Sarah Huckabee Sanders ad. And this should be obvious, but I am so sick of this. Trans women are not real women having a vagina.
Speaker 2: Does it make you a woman.
Speaker 5: Having a crippling fear that you're using too many exclamation points in an email?
Speaker 2: That is what makes you a woman.
Speaker 5: All right, let's move on to the big story rocking the media world today. You know that stupid look that's always on Tucker Carlson's face, Well today he has a good reason for it.
Speaker 2: This just in to CNN.
Speaker 7: Tucker Carlson is out at Fox News the Right Room network. Just enough, the two have parted ways. Cnnci Meter reporter Aliver Our Darci is here with more on this. What are you learning he was out on Friday. While we see him say goodbye, we're.
Speaker 8: Not going to see him say goodbye. This is really stunning news coming from Fox. They say his last show was April twenty. First, they put out a very short statement. They say they thank him for his service, and that's it. That's all we know right now.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, I can't believe that a network that's so opposed to gender affirming surgery just cut off their own dick. Now, apparently Tucker was forced out by Rupert Murdoch, which is pretty ironic. Tucker spent so many years saying that Mexican people were coming to take our jobs away. Turns out he should have been worrying about Australians. And we still don't know exactly what led Rupert Murdoch to fire his network's biggest star, but reportedly he was concerned over Carlson's con biris theories about January sixth. So let this be a lesson to everybody. If you try to topple America's democracy, you can stay on TV for two more years and that's it. But whatever the reason was, Tucker's firing is going to leave a huge white power vacuum at Fox. And I'm glad he's gone, but if I'm being honest, I'm also a little nervous about what he's going to do next. You know, it's like after Papa John got fired. You just knew he was out there somewhere working on a pizza. That gives you even worse diary. By the way, Tucker Carlson isn't the only cable news anchor.
Speaker 2: To get the act.
Speaker 5: CNN just fired Don Lemon after seventeen New Year's Eve blackouts.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry years of service.
Speaker 5: So it's been a tough day to be a news anchor on cable.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, what's up? Oh? So being fired? Oh that was fast.
Speaker 5: Okay, guess I'll pack up my things stapler, scissors, yeah, photos, Ah, my giant fish.
Speaker 2: The box is too small. Call me a girly girl. You know this. I just got here. I'm finishing this out.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 5: So let's move on to Twitter, the app that even quibi feels bad for now. If you're not on Twitter, congratulations, you're right. But you may not know that Twitter used to verify prominent accounts with the blue check mark, so people wouldn't be fooled by some fake dosy light at crypto scam and will instead go to my account to fall for my real crypto scam.
Speaker 2: Deasy coin.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it worked for me, though, but a few days ago, Twitter owner Elon Musk announced that if famous accounts want a blue check mark, they need to sign up for Twitter Blue and pay eight dollars a month for it.
Speaker 2: And so far it's not going well.
Speaker 9: Twitter's blue check mark saga seemingly won't end after Elon Musk reproof legacy verifications. Not many people seem too keen on buying Twitter Blue, but in the past few days those check marks started popping up again, and with them a note saying that those users bought Twitter blue. But here's the problem. Many insists they did not buy Twitter Blue. Even the accounts of late celebrities like Pele or Kobe Bryant say that they purchased Twitter Blue, even though they passed away, of course, long before its inception.
Speaker 7: Even the account for the Auschwitz Memorial clarified in a tweet that a quote never subscribed and paid for Twitter Blue, as it might be implied, wow.
Speaker 5: You know your product has a bad reputation When the Auschwitz Memorial is like, hey, can we table the Holocaust remembrance for a second, something worse just popped up. That's right after nobody wanted to buy a blue check Elon decided to force it on big accounts against their will.
Speaker 2: They even forced dead people to get it. Hell a, Kobe.
Speaker 5: Bryant, Joe Biden, I'm joking, he's not dead. Look at him, well, don't look at him, but he's not dead. And the celebrities who are alive are roasting Twitter Blue to their millions of followers.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants this thing.
Speaker 5: The blue check mark is now elon Musk's least popular product and this guy makes a car that runs over children. Let's move on to some sad news for anyone looking for a trash can for their dorm room.
Speaker 10: We turn out at the end of an era, another popular retailer going out of busy bed Bath and Beyond for decades, a go to for home and college dorm supplies with those big blue coupons, while it filed for bankruptcy yesterday, the company announcing it will now begin winding down operations.
Speaker 5: The company says it will try to sell some or all of its business.
Speaker 2: Oh no, where am.
Speaker 5: I going to go to Field Towels before I buy them? On Amazon? For more on Bed Bath and Beyond bankruptcy, we turned to roy Wood Junior Live.
Speaker 2: Royl. What's the mood like? There's sad.
Speaker 1: Employees are miserable, nobody's stocking the shelves, and the customers look like they've given up on life. It's pretty much a standard day here.
Speaker 5: Wow, you don't seem to upset that it's going out of business.
Speaker 11: You kidding?
Speaker 1: This is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Do you know how many hours of my life I've lost in this place waiting for my girl to pick out a blender. Oh, this one's good for smoothies, but this one chops up shoes.
Speaker 4: Just pick one.
Speaker 1: This shit don't break in two days anyway. I don't even want to be in the store, but you, I wish i'd have known that you was this type of shopper before we even got together. Sorry about that days in.
Speaker 2: My bad Fine Roy.
Speaker 5: Putting aside the fact that you're a whipped little bitch.
Speaker 2: What do you think? What do you think went wrong with bed bath and beyond.
Speaker 1: What didn't go wrong? First off, First off, these coupons, These coupons are insane, like this, buy one, get eight free free refrigerator with any purchase, and this one buy three can openness and we'll suck your it would have said the sucond. First off, which employee is doing the sucking? And how does that make you money? You just don't add up. This store is too thirsty. I don't want to shop at the store that's desperate like this. I want to go to CBS. I like shopping at a store that don't even want me that you walk in the CBS and.
Speaker 2: You are all alone.
Speaker 1: CBS is practically daring you to find a way to pay for your shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: They offered a lot of discounts, but that's not enough to take down an entire retail chain, is it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no no no, it wasn't just that. Also, bed back to beyond, they sold too much stuff. Every time I walk in here, I see something I didn't even know existed. Corn cop holders. Okay, but corn cop hold the holders, George Forman, Grills, Muhammad al Leive Friars, Mike Tyson Duvets. They sell, they sell wineglasses without stems.
Speaker 2: It's us a cup.
Speaker 1: And that's that's the important lesson here, Daisy. If you give people too many options, are.
Speaker 11: You ready for?
Speaker 1: And I gotta I gotta run, das, I gotta pay for these three can openers.
Speaker 5: Go wa wait wait, you're using that Blowjohn coupon.
Speaker 1: No, I'm using a can open a coupon. So just my birthday and on your birthday you get a can open up.
Speaker 2: All right, Roywood Junior.
Speaker 5: Everyone, we may come back and I'm gonna talk to.
Speaker 2: America little as CEO. So don't go away. I'm never gonna give it the betest a.
Speaker 1: Fucking game, mollest.
Speaker 3: Woo.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: In the last few decades, women have made big strides in the workplace. We're no longer getting harassed while wearing big, ugly shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: It's twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Now we're getting harassed while wearing super cool big shoulder pads. Needless to say, corporate women still face challenges.
Speaker 12: When it comes to the CEOs of the largest companies, women are still vastly underrepresented.
Speaker 2: There are currently.
Speaker 12: Thirty eight female CEOs at the S and P five hundred, and women CEOs are forty five percent more likely to be five than their male counterparts. There's also evidence that women who are appointed to the top job aren't necessarily set up for success. High level women are often promoted during a time of crisis.
Speaker 2: It's a phenomenon called the glass cliff.
Speaker 13: Women who negotiate are sixty seven percent more likely than women who don't receive feedback that their personal style is intimidating, to aggressive or bossy.
Speaker 14: When women have a child, their earnings decline for each child by four percent wow, whereas men there's a fatherhood bonus and they actually earn more when they have children.
Speaker 2: It's called the motherhood penalty. That's right.
Speaker 5: It's it's really hard to be a woman in the corporate world. And they didn't even mention the fact that the office is always so freaking cold, So no wonder women have to work harder.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing that will keep us warm.
Speaker 5: With all the challenges women are facing in the workplace, I thought it was important to offer some mental to the next generation of female leaders.
Speaker 2: Take a look. Hi everybody.
Speaker 5: Hi, my name is Daisy, and today I'm going to tell you how to climb your way to the top of the corporate ladder, just like the boys. And sometimes that means playing dirty, and sometimes it's going to be an uphill battle. All right, look to the person to your right, now, look at the person to your left.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're still learning rights and less. By the end of today, only one of you will remain doubly.
Speaker 6: Yes, we don't want to be boys, but we should be like the boys. Not in a way that we're like the boys, but we're going to be like empowered woman and we're going to get extreams accomplished. Then we're going to get money. Then when we're going to put in our bank account and get more money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you've worked for it, and I think, what did she? What is the key takeaway is that we want to be the boys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we want to fill our pockets with my Okay, who here knows what a CEO is?
Speaker 2: No, you're up. You want to be a CEO?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 2: Do you know what a CEO is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Chief executive officer?
Speaker 6: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: The bross. So like you're like, you know how a teacher is the leader of the classroom. Oh yeah, and they're in control of everything happening in the classroom. Oh yeah, it's just like that, except they don't have to pay out of pocket for office supplies. So okay. Part of making it to the top of.
Speaker 5: Corporate America is knowing how to negotiate for yourself. Do you know what that means? What does it mean to negotiate?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay.
Speaker 5: The most important thing about negotiating for a raise is that you're touting your accomplishments.
Speaker 2: What chores have you.
Speaker 5: Been doing lately? Have you been adding value to your family? Have you been, say, helping her brother tie his shoes?
Speaker 2: That's mentorship. I don't know how to tie shoes.
Speaker 5: Do you know how to slip on a pair of pumps. Yes, and it doesn't matter. Okay, do any of you want to be Mommy's.
Speaker 6: Mommy's mommy O?
Speaker 2: Wonderful. That'll be forty thousand dollars up front.
Speaker 5: Oh it's called the mommy tax.
Speaker 6: Nobody has that kind of money at nine thousand.
Speaker 5: I like the attempt to negotiate, but no, it's a hard and fast forty grand Okay.
Speaker 2: There are two types of CEOs. Has anyone here heard of Elizabeth Holmes or Anna Delby?
Speaker 6: Is Anna Delby the Persian who has pretended to be like the Russian heirssh or whatever?
Speaker 11: Why? Yes she is.
Speaker 2: You are my prize student. Here's the lesson we learn.
Speaker 5: You only know the names of the women who have done illegal things. Okay, Belle, congratulations, you are now our new CEO. You now get to clean up the mess of the previous CEO.
Speaker 6: Mate, all these the CEO school.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, but it's not always fair. I'm keeping the bag. I'm not paying that out, and that is how we negotiated.
Speaker 4: All right, Because let me come back.
Speaker 5: Catherine Rightman will be joining me on the show.
Speaker 15: Don't go away, Welcome back.
Speaker 2: To the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is the creator and star of the hit Netflix comedy series Working Moms. We welcome my good friend Katherine rightman.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I had goodness.
Speaker 2: Look at this. So Catherine and I met how many years ago?
Speaker 5: Just a few We're so young.
Speaker 2: And plea fresh and young.
Speaker 5: We met doing a hidden camera prank show. That's right that I believe NBC called their worst primetime ratings.
Speaker 2: In history something like that. I think they might have said that, Yeah, yeah, but you know what.
Speaker 11: You say that about all the shows that we were very special.
Speaker 2: We really were. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we really were.
Speaker 11: And this was my first big break the real wedding crashers, and I think it was yours too.
Speaker 2: So we really cut our teeth together.
Speaker 5: We did for ten weeks in Vegas, and we somehow made it out alive.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 11: I mean, by the skin of her teeth.
Speaker 2: I slapped a bitch, slapped me.
Speaker 11: True Tristorian, true bride who was in on it, just five.
Speaker 2: Fingered me right across the front.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a rough day. We didn't we couldn't even afford a medic The budget was so low.
Speaker 2: You just had to, like grandadaters held a coke can to my.
Speaker 5: Cheek and yeah, now has that ever happened on Working Moms?
Speaker 2: Got slapped? Yeah right?
Speaker 11: Danny Kind, who plays an on the show, loves to slap a bit.
Speaker 2: She'll get in there.
Speaker 11: She's very physical.
Speaker 2: I love her for it. I love it. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So you, I mean, you're you're one of those actors who has always been the total standout and everything that you've been in, you're so damn funny. You're constantly working, steal every scene. But now suddenly there's this baby of your seven seasons.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy? Of Working Moms?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: Like eighty three episodes.
Speaker 11: Yep dropping on Netflix this Wednesday April.
Speaker 5: You created it, you star in it, you direct it, you executive produce it. What is it like seeing your baby all grown.
Speaker 2: Up like that?
Speaker 11: It's wild?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: I mean I entered the show thinking it I'll probably get one season and I'll just try to be as authentic as I can tell all my stories, cram it into one season. And each season that we got picked up for another one, I was in disbelief. I still am.
Speaker 2: It's so good, it's so funny, and genuinely I know you. You're a friend, like it feels like you. You can tell that you put so much of yourself into it.
Speaker 5: You cover just in this I may have snuck a few episodes of this last season because I.
Speaker 2: Got a friend, You got a hook them, I got a hook up. Don't be asking me.
Speaker 5: And just in this season, you explore so many themes and issues that are so important. You have an entire storyline on the male birth control pill.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you explore destigmatizing shame in female sexuality, marriage ruts, the complexities of female friendships.
Speaker 2: How do you get ideas for these stories? I guess I just live, you know what I mean? Yeah, just a day in the life of a woman.
Speaker 11: I mean, and I'm sure your audience can speak to this. It's like having a kid, And I mean just watching this incredible show tonight and seeing all the horrifying statistics of what it means to go back to work, knowing that you're going to be looked at differently for being a mother was so paralyzingly terrifying to me. I didn't even know I had postpartum depression when I started the show, and getting through an out a three month old when we started shooting, and when we wrapped the show and all of a sudden, like I feel like I white knuckled through it, Like I don't think I took a breath until they said cut the last time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was part of the inspiration for the show, right you having gone through that and thinking like there aren't shows out there that really dive into these topics.
Speaker 11: They're sure are more now. Seven years ago it was a wasteland. I mean I couldn't find any a storyline, meaning the main plot point of the show about a woman who happened to be a mother and work. I mean, look on Work and Moms. The actual amount of time where you see the female characters with their kids is like five percent. This is about women being something outside of the nursery. It's a woman in the workplace show. And yeah, they've got to juggle it all and try to have it all, whether that's possible or not.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's possible? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, you can have all, but not all at the same time. I said, what's why said it's a different.
Speaker 11: For each person, Right, we all have our ways of sort of working it out, of making sacrifices.
Speaker 2: The guilt is real guilt is real guilt.
Speaker 5: Is said something about mom guilt that really stuck with me.
Speaker 2: You sounds like, yeah, very profound.
Speaker 5: You said something in regards to the way that you talk to your children about going to work.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't say I have to go to work. I get to go to work, and I just flip that tone. I go like, before I flew to New York to do this lovely thing with you, I told my kids, I'm so excited you guys, I've never gotten to do this sort of thing. I'm so happy with it. And they feel the joy rating off of me. And then tonight they were like, we're so excited for you, and that shift's great.
Speaker 5: That's so beautiful because you are you are following your passion and you're clearly meant to do this, and you bring so much joy to so many people, and you're teaching them they can one day do that too.
Speaker 2: And that's really important. That's really powerful.
Speaker 11: Or marry a woman that takes care of.
Speaker 2: Them, yes, yes, yeah. Also when we're all so very powerful.
Speaker 5: You work with your husband. I did show he plays your actual husband. He also is an executive producer and directs on the show.
Speaker 2: How does this work?
Speaker 5: Because there was a very brief time during the pandemic when we were filming from home, and I one time asked my husband to hold the camera and we almost got divorced.
Speaker 2: How do you navigate that? It's tricky.
Speaker 11: I mean, we've definitely had some serious fights. There's a but then you also find ways. I mean, look for those of us who work in separate places on our husbands or wives, you get to come home and try to share what happened, and there's sort of like a lack of connection because you can't talk about what you've done. When I get home, Phil knows exactly what I've done, right. He witnessed all my wins, but he also witnesses when I fail, so that makes it really complicated. Lucky for me, I got a guy who's a serious cheerleader, you know, he's Yeah, he's had my back. It was his idea to push me into writing this thing in the first place.
Speaker 2: So thanks Phil, You're lucky to have each other. You're lucky to have each other. I am.
Speaker 5: I am so grateful for you making the show because I finally feel like there's a show where working moms are seen, and it means a great deal to me. And it's such a joy to see you do your thing and shine your light because you are just You're You're a total inspiration. So I'm really happy for you, and I'm proud that I get to be your friend.
Speaker 2: Can I return the favor real quick? That? Oh? How amazing is it that.
Speaker 11: We broke our teeth on the first Real Wed and Crasher show, which was a hit?
Speaker 2: Maybe not, but it was a hit, really real critical darling. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 11: We were doing some really cool stuff there actually, But I get to now witness your first night hosting The Daily Show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for being here. I love you to bit, I really do. Thank you.
Speaker 5: You can launch the seven season and the final season of Work in Moms on April twenty six on Netflix. We're going to take a quick break, but we'll be back right after that.
Speaker 2: That's our show for tonight.
Speaker 5: Before you go, please consider supporting Dress for Success. They provide professional attire and development tools to help women succeed in the workplace. If you can support them in their work, please donate at the link below.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 4: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and.
Speaker 2: Stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Blocks.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast