Speaker 1: It's hard to believe, but Semester four is coming to a close.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: This was a huge semester for Dope Labs. We went from bi weekly to weekly episodes and we have covered so much.
Speaker 3: So for our last two laps of the semester, we decided that we were going to get back in touch with a few of our favorite guest experts to hear updates from their fields. Think of this as like Semester four's greatest hits, you know, like when Diddy did Diddy and the Bad Boy Family and all of them came together and made that Dope album.
Speaker 2: Yeah like that.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dope, a weekly podcast that makes this hardcore science pop culture and a healthy does of friendship.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into it. We're going all the way back to our first lab of the semester.
Speaker 2: Now it's a long time ago.
Speaker 1: The number was Lab thirty seven then and now we're all the way at Lab eighty three.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember all the way back to Lab thirty seven, and it was so exciting because it was our first lab back for the semester and it was all about science denial.
Speaker 2: And we were in the throes of the.
Speaker 3: Pandemic, seeing a lot of stuff online that just was not true about the virus, about the vaccine, and so we had a lot of questions about why people were falling for what we felt like was the okie doke. And so I'm really excited to hear an update from our guests and see what they've been up to since Lab thirty seven.
Speaker 4: I'm Gil Sinantra, the co author of Science Denial, Why it Happens and what to do about it.
Speaker 5: I'm Barbara Hoefer, co author of Science Denial.
Speaker 4: In the year since our book was published and we appeared on Dope Labs, Science Denial has not waned.
Speaker 5: What remains deeply disconcerting to us is the number of individuals who rely on the opinions of others rather than scientific knowledge and expertise, to make uninformed decisions that can have deadly consequences.
Speaker 1: You know, when we think about evaluation of science, you think about thoughtful, deliberative approaches to examining evidence and assessing expertise when somebody is giving you information. But what we know is the way we get information, and sometimes information and reasoning about science is done through crowdsourcing, and it's based on how you feel about the person giving you the information, So if they are your friends on Facebook, or if it's the beliefs of a social group you're in, or however you choose to identify, whatever they're believing, you're likely to believe.
Speaker 3: Doctors Hofer and Sinatra also have a few reminders about what you can do to address science denial.
Speaker 5: First, vote for those who support science and who base related policy decisions on scientific evidence. We will not effectively address climate change or the pandemic without leadership that values science. Second, enhance your own digital literacy and make sure you're not complicent in sharing misinformation. Third, practice listening and communication skills and take the risk to talk with those who have differing views. This may be especially helpful with the holidays coming up.
Speaker 1: You know, we just touched on misinformation in our last lab on social media with doctor Jeff Hancock. The problem is not going away, it's only growing. And this also feels related to Lab seventy five with David mcrainey Can you Change Someone's mind? In that lab, we kind of explore the group identity the US verse them, and how being in a group makes us hold on to certain beliefs even if they don't hold up compared to the science. Just listen to the disparities that doctor Hofer mentions.
Speaker 5: A July twenty twenty two national survey showed that twenty nine percent of Republicans did not plan on getting vaccinated more than a year after vaccinations became widely available and free to the US public, compared to nine percent of Democrats. This disparity has become a significant public health challenge.
Speaker 1: So thinking back to what we learned in Lab seventy five, right, you start to see these disparities based on whatever your social group in this case political party chooses to believe or chooses to follow. So if you have a group who says not to vaccines, what does the science tells about vaccines That it protects you from death from infectious diseases and stuff. And so if your group is saying nota vaccines, then you start to see these differences in morbidity, in death rate. And that's exactly what we saw with COVID.
Speaker 3: So really, what we're seeing our trends, it's not that, oh, if you are a Republican you are biologically predisposed to rejecting a vaccine. We're seeing that which is something that we've also talked about in other episodes is that your social bubble is usually a reflection of who you are. So it's usually people who are the same religion, same socioeconomic status, same political views, and so these are trends that are happening within social circles. You tend to do what people from your social circle are doing rather than thinking individually, because we all feel a little bit more comfortable when we are doing something that is of what we feel like our culture, so what culturally fits for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's wild that we're still talking about this because LAP thirty seven was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: And since that episode aired, there have been boosters that come out to address the new emerging variants of COVID, And what the studies are saying is that if eighty percent of Americans eligible for the latest COVID nineteen booster get vaccinated by year's end, so the end of twenty twenty two, it could save about ninety thousand lives and more than nine hundred and thirty six thousand hospitalizations.
Speaker 1: And listen, if you take all this information into account, you say, yeah, I know how upset we all were and how terrible we felt about being at home. But the fact of the matter is that only thirty six percent of adults older than fifty have gotten their boosters, and that makes it really tricky when we consider the potential winter surge with the flu and COVID.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: That's a tough mix.
Speaker 3: Right, Joe Biden says the pandemic is over. I don't know if the CDC agrees.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden had to come back and clarify his remarks, and that should show you even the President can get it wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's easy to speak casually about what's happening for you now or how it feels. Sometimes I don't want to look at those cold, hard facts in the mirror. You know. It's not specific to the pandemic either. I know you called me out all the time when my.
Speaker 2: Now sunk eats. Uh uh.
Speaker 1: When I misinformed today, I said I had stopped interrupting people, and TT said, oh wow. I said I had stopped, but I'm back, and TT you just said, oh wow, I didn't realize you were gone. And I was like, well, I wasn't. But did I want to hear that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Did I spread a misinformation?
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, we're all trying our best. We're trying our best, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Misinformation is not just limited to the pandemic. It also is still affecting the public's attitudes towards everything from elections to climate change. Yes, so go back and listen to our first episode from this season, Lab thirty seven, to find out more about the psychological reasons for science doubt, resistance, and denial, and for more ideas about what you can do to promote scientific thinking in general. Okay, so now we're jumping ahead just a couple of weeks to Lab thirty nine, and that was called ads a Cart where we talked to guest expert and author of Arriving Today from Factory to Front Door, Christopher Mems. I've been wanting to hear from Christopher Mems because I've been seeing all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: I was in Paris. There was a mustard shortage, particularly Dejon mustard. Okay, I saw that there was a tampon shortage for a minute. There's also a formula shortage milk for the babies.
Speaker 2: We need that.
Speaker 1: We just keep seeing things missing. But then also when I go to the stores, the Christmas stuff is out with the Halloween stuff.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I'm just waiting on those curtains that I had ordered way back at lap thirty nine.
Speaker 7: Hello. Hello, this is Christopher Mems checking back in from the shipping episode. Just a quick update. Since we last talked, so much material has flowed through the world's supply chains that there is now an oversupply at stores, so you can look for discounts at your nearest big box store and of course at online retailers.
Speaker 1: When I saw this was happening, I immediately said, oh baby, the sales are going to be on and popping.
Speaker 2: I thought the.
Speaker 3: Same thing too, but you know, with every action there is an eco on opposite reaction, and that applies in this case too. You know, retailers like Target and Walmart they're having really big sales before the holiday season just to get rid of some of this oversupply that Christopher's talking about.
Speaker 7: However, this is not universally good news for the people who work in those supply chains, because as the price for shipping over the ocean and trucking on our highways has crashed inevitably, that means layoffs and the collapse of small trucking companies. So as ever, this is a very cyclical industry, and what happens is that there's a contraction, people get laid off, and then that kind of sets us up for the next supply chain snafuo because there are not enough people and not enough capacity in that pipeline for the next time that we have a pandemic or some other issue. And this may be contributing to ongoing inflation, which of course we're all feeling in our pocketbooks these days.
Speaker 1: Yes, inflation is real. People are also doing their holiday shopping earth to avoid the potential rising prices due to inflation. And if you're still wondering what inflation is, go back to Lab seventy nine, which we did with doctor Vanessa Perry. That's about the current US economy and it talks about recessions, inflation and interest rates.
Speaker 7: Thank you for the opportunity to check in with you, and as ever, this will be an ongoing story. We can't forget where everything that we buy and everything that we rely on actually comes from.
Speaker 3: I know we've been talking about winter holidays, you know, an inflation receession and all these things like that, But last time I checked the CBS, the target they have put out the Halloween candy, and so that made us think about our episode with doctor Marcus Johnson when we talked about teeth.
Speaker 6: Hey everyone, doctor Marcus Johnson. Dental specialists just want to give a big shout out to the Dope Labs team, thanks for bringing me back on just to give you guys a few tips or safe and healthy Halloween. For one, you have little kids, make sure that they're brushing and floshing every night. We don't want those sugar bugs to get in there and causing any cavities. And speaking of cavities, a great way to keep those out. We already know what an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So go to your local dentists. Make sure that you ask for ceilings. They're good for kids and for adults. What's happening, what's going on? What's new in dentistry. We have the Greater New York Dental Meeting that's gonna be happening November twenty fifth through November thirtieth at the Jacob Javid Center. All guests are welcome, Registration is free. You can go there, walk around, find out about new advancements, new products, and new technology within dentistry. Tons of free giveaway, and you're gonna learn a lot as well. So hey, everybody, stay safe, stay healthy, and go easy on the sweets. Take care.
Speaker 1: Some candy is worse for your teeth than others. I think that's really important to know. Now you might not want to hear this, but chocolate does the least amount of damage. I'm not really a chocolate lover, but it does damage because it melts away really fast, and it's the sticky stuff and the sour stuff that tends to stick on your tooth enamel and do more damage. And so that's also why I'd like to come out that even though I am on Team Dope Labs and we've previously voted on this, I still think candy corn is trash, trash and dangerous to the teeth.
Speaker 3: Now you're just grasping at straws, y'all just kind of come up with reasons for people to stop eating candy corn. No, no, no, I will not be tricked. Candy corn is a delicious treat. I will brush my teeth afterwards.
Speaker 1: Well I'm glad you will, because what I didn't realize is that November first, right after Halloween, is actually National brush Day. So go ahead and get your candy corn bingje in, but just make sure you're hitting those back molars and you're hitting them right.
Speaker 3: I hope everybody's brushing their teeth every day National brush Day. Every day's National brush Day in this house, but I understand the celebration.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, you see what I have to put up with.
Speaker 6: Y'all.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break. When we come back, we'll hear from more of our favorite guests and some listeners too. Hey tg, hey, Sekia.
Speaker 8: It is me a long time listener Cat. I just want to say thanks for all you do. I really enjoyed the mind the Gap episode. It just really spoke to me as a librarian and everything we see out here and how we aren't really all on the same age digitally. So thank you guys so much for covering all you do. And take care guys.
Speaker 2: That was longtime listener Cat.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you I follow Kat on social I think we both do follow Kat on social media, and so we are always on top of when she's going to different like comic con events, and she does cosplay so much fun. I love watching her put her outfits together and getting all the pieces and making sure everything's just right. I'm like, yes, Cat, you nailed that one. And she also listens to Dope Labs when she goes for runs, so she runs long distance and she puts us in her ears to push her through her run.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's like torture. It's like, ah, let me hurry up and finish.
Speaker 1: Kat brought up to Mind the Gap episode that was really exploring the differences in internet access in urban and rural areas, and even access to devices and being able to keep up with this continuously growing digital age. H And that reminds me of another episode that was definitely a fave for us that touched on cybersecurity with Christina Marilla.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is such a great topic to bring up because the new UK Prime Minister, Liz Trust her mobile phone was just hacked. And in situations like these, what's at stake for consumers and citizens when those in charge of their government gets hacked.
Speaker 9: That's a great question because the fact of the matter is that anyone can be hacked, right However, the good news is that we are all empowered to protect ourselves and each other or our data and our friends and families data. So just because someone from the government is hacked. Obviously, their third model is a little bit different. They're in the public eye, so there are different precautions and just you know, steps that they have to take to make sure that their technology is secure at all times. Right, it's not a one and done thing. Well, as consumers, we don't have to rely on like a tech department to do that. We can actually do that ourselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't have whole team, but I do feel like the prime minister of my house, So yes, what do I need to do?
Speaker 9: The first thing that we can do is educate ourselves and understand what are the things that are at risk? Right, So that could be your bank account information, your logging, your passwords, basically access to your crown jewels. Right, there's so much information out there on how to take steps to protect your online accounts, your digital identity.
Speaker 1: And I feel like some of the things that Christina told us in our previous episode, right, I tried to implement. Yes, you know, I'm not connecting to every old random Wi Fi. I stopped doing that.
Speaker 3: What about those late night poker games and things like.
Speaker 1: That, I'm not doing that. I really I don't remember putting that in the episode but now I feel like you're telling my business. I'm not playing black jack anymore online, and yeah, I'm not doing that, So that's.
Speaker 2: Good, I think for me.
Speaker 3: You told me about duck duck Go, which listen, I have seen commercials, I've seen ads, and it just goes in one ear and out the other. I never registered what duck duck go was, but now I'm like, Okay, well that's the place to do all of your searching because it's really protected. I feel like they should have came with a better name, like, yeah, what was duck duck go?
Speaker 2: What are we doing here? How is anybody just to know what that is?
Speaker 3: But yes, so duck dug go is definitely something that I have implemented into my life to keep my things a little bit more secure.
Speaker 1: And my favorite thing about duck dug go is that they give a rating to the website so you can see the websites that are tracking you the most. And I'd just like to point out we're not sponsored by them.
Speaker 2: We just like it.
Speaker 1: Somebody asked me where we sponsored by Yiddy from our previous episode on Shape, where I.
Speaker 3: Was like no, And at the end of the episode, it goes this episode was brought to you by Yddi and Duck Duck Go.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad to know that it's not just me and it's not just you taking cybersecurity series. Now, the United States government is finally showing up to the party too. The State Department just opens the Bureau of Cyberspace and Digital Policy in April, and so we got our country's first cyber ambassador in September.
Speaker 2: That makes me feel good.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know what they're doing. I want to be really really clear. Yeah, but I feel like it's only going to become more and more important. It's people start talking about moving to the metaverse, and I just saw some people having a conversation in the metaverse and having like digital avatars of their entire selves, and I was like, that is so cool, But how do you keep somebody from hacking a whole you? Now, we talked about cyberspace, but we also turned our eye to just regular old scary.
Speaker 2: Space everything out there.
Speaker 3: And we had a really great episode with doctor Jordan Bim.
Speaker 10: Hi, Doctor Shodia, and doctor WATTLEE. This is Jordan bim Congratulations on your semester finale. I recently started teaching my course Explorations of Mars again here at the University of Chicago to a mix of space sciences and humanity students. Together we explore humanity's long standing fascination with the Red planet in history, science and culture. This week in class, I told my students to tune in and watch SpaceX's launch of the Crew five mission to the ISS. More than just another human commercial spaceflight, launch, Crew five is the first commercial spaceflight commanded by a woman NASA astronaut Nicole Man. And Nicole Man, who is a member of the Wylacki tribe, is also the first indigenous woman in space. So some really important history in diversifying our human presence in space has just taken place. Wishing you both and the entire Dope Labs team all the best.
Speaker 2: This was so cool.
Speaker 3: Nicole Man is mission commander and she will be on the ISS for the next five months.
Speaker 1: Five months is a long time. I can't even imagine what we're going to be talking about in five months.
Speaker 2: Things change so fast.
Speaker 3: I mean just even thinking about this semester and what has happened over the last year when we're talking about Lab thirty seven, like wow, yeah, it feels like way more than a year ago. It feels like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It feels like a couple months ago. The most important thing on my radar, second to COVID was monkey pox.
Speaker 3: Yes, and now it feels like no one is talking about it. So we were really excited to talk to Kenyon Farah again, who is one of our experts on our monkeypox episode.
Speaker 11: Thank you for the invitation to just give you a little bit of an update about what's been happening in terms of the monkey pox outbreak in the United States. The good news is that we've seen really incredible declines in monkey pox infections around the country, So this is.
Speaker 3: Really good news on the monkey pox front, as Kenyon just mentioned, and an axious report said that in Washington, d C. There's been a seventy percent drop in cases within the past month.
Speaker 1: Similarly, the Department of Public Health in Georgia also said that there was a decrease in new monkeypox cases. So it feels like maybe we're turning this thing around.
Speaker 11: But that doesn't mean that we're necessarily out of the woods, because we still have a large proportion of the population who may be a risk for monkey pox who have yet to be vaccinated.
Speaker 3: So what Kenyon says that we need is resources and research to help get us out of this potential crisis. One of the things that Kenyon says that we need is for Congress to fund monkey pox's treatment, vaccine access, and research.
Speaker 11: And that includes also funding more of the COVID response, which could potentially help us with sort of vaccine distribution for both COVID and for monkey pox. Wreever for all is requesting that Congress authorized twenty six point nine billion dollars as requested by the White House, which includes four point six billion for the US global response and nine point five billion for research and development for medical tools to treat and prevent both of these diseases.
Speaker 1: Kenyon says, the second thing that we should be asking for is a very specific research agenda. He looks to the CDC and the National Institutes of Health, particularly the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases to answer questions about monkey pox that are still urgent and kind of unknown, like how long and how well do the vaccines work and pre or post exposure, what is the best way to use treatments to prevent infection.
Speaker 11: And we also need to know if and where an animal reservoir monkey pox is established as a result of the current outbreak. So those are some of the things that we're requesting from Congress, both in terms of funding and a research agenda to make sure that we are in fact able to end the outbreak of monkey pox and won't see another's fight in the country anytime.
Speaker 1: Soon, understanding that there's still so much work to do, even with things trending up. It reminds me of what Kenyon said in his episode before when we were talking about monkey pox, and that is that infectious disease tends to follow lines of structural oppression. And that's what we've seen with monkey pox, is what we saw with COVID, is what we've seen with HIV. I mean, we just keep seeing it with the science all around. We see it with sleep disparities.
Speaker 3: Yes, in the sleep episode, doctor Jean Luis was talking about how sleep disparities you could see it.
Speaker 2: By zip code.
Speaker 3: People who live in a certain zip code, they have these different experiences from others. So when we think about that, it's really important that you know, resources are funneled to the right places. So the CDC is doing just that and setting aside fifty thousand doses of genios facts for black and Hispanic men, who account for the majority of monkeypox cases but who may have faced barriers accessing the vaccine.
Speaker 2: This was a really good update.
Speaker 1: I so appreciate it hearing from some of our guests from this season t T. This semester had a lot of episodes.
Speaker 2: Yes, going from bide weekly to weekly.
Speaker 3: We had the labs come in rapid fire, so we couldn't just fit everything into one finale. We had to have two finale, So make sure that you tune in next week where we're giving more updates on some of our favorite labs from this season and hearing some more feedback from all of you.
Speaker 1: That's it for Lab eighty three. What other episodes do you have questions about? And I want to know what was your favorite episode? Send us a note on Instagram or text us or call us at two zero two five six seven seven zero two eight and tell us what you thought. We really like hearing from you, so don't forget text or call two zero two five six seven seven zero two eight.
Speaker 3: And don't forget Their so much more for you to dig into on our website. There'll be a cheat sheet for today's lab and additional links and resources in the show notes. Plus you can sign up for our newsletter check it out at Dope Labs podcast dot com. Special thanks to today's guest experts, doctor Barbara Hoefer, doctor Gail Sinatra, Christina Morillo, Christopher Mems, doctor Marcus Johnson, Kenyan Faroh, and doctor Jordan Beim.
Speaker 1: You can hear them all on past episodes of Dope Labs this semester, and we'll have links to their labs in the show notes, and you can find us on Twitter and Instagram at Dope Labs Podcast. Tt Is on Twitter and Instagram at dr Underscore t Sho, and you can find Zakia at z said So. Dope Labs is a Spotify original production from Mega Ohm Media Group. Our producers are Jennie Radlett Mast and Lydia Smith of WaveRunner Studios. Our associate producer is Caro Orlando. Editing and sound design by Rob Smerziak, with additional singing sound design by Hannis Brown. Original music composed and produced by Taka Yasuzawa and Alex Zugiura from Spotify creative producer Miguel Contreras. Special thanks to Shirley Ramos, Jess Borrison, Till krat Key and Brian Marquis executive producers from Mega Own Media Group, rus T T. Shoda and Zakiah Wattley