Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I'm all in podcast iHeart Radio on eleven Productions. I'm gonna be appearing at Columbus Galaxy Con on December two and three, so I hope to see you out there. Pop Culture Season six, episode eight, let me hear your Balalacus ringing out. I'm joined by my intrepid crew, Amy Sugarman, Tara sud Susan French, and Amy Sugarman once again.
Speaker 2: She's gonna be everybody say, Balla Lucas, Balla Lucas ringing out.
Speaker 1: Let's ring it out, guys, Balla Lacus, Lorelai letting Paul Anka choose their new house callers, Lurla, You've got the Queer Eye, my friend. Queer Eye is an American reality television series. The premiered on the Bravo Network in July two thousand and three, initially broadcast as Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've had a lot of Queer Eyes for the Straight guys because we had that whole original group and now we've got a whole other set that are all famous.
Speaker 2: They're all famous.
Speaker 4: Yeah on Netflix, and the show's going.
Speaker 2: Way to make a hit.
Speaker 3: Luke is on the phone ordering the girls soccer team Jerseys. I want my girls to look good. Listen to Daddy Warbucks, which I love it, Oliver. Daddy Warbucks is a fictional character from the comics Trip Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Annie and Its Musical Films Musical and Films Annie. He is a billionaire who at first doesn't like children, but invites an orphan unaware that it includes girls because he actually wanted a boy, but he never said so. He warms up to this invited orphan Annie and eventually adopts her as his daughter, And obviously like, I think I'm gonna like it here. I love all the That's an amazing musical. Who's my favorite Daddy Warbucks? Jamie Foxx was Daddy Warbucks? Oh gosh, who else was Daddy Warbucks? Who was the one that was in the first movie? Come on, somebody give me the name? Thank you, Thank you, guys. He's amazing. Laurai is making the comparison to Luke not wanting to sponsor the girls to spending lots of money on their uniforms. Uh yeah, he became fully, Daddy Warbucks.
Speaker 2: He really did?
Speaker 4: Luke says, what about that? Vito Morgenstern, Lorelei says sure. Or Vigo Mortenson or Donald Sutherland. Toby McGuire is an American actor and film producer, best known for his role in Spider Man trilogy. And Vigo Mortensen is an American actor best known for his work in films such as Lord of the Rings, The Indian Runner, The Greek Book, Sorry, The Green Book, and Captain Fantastic. And Donald Sutherland is a Canadian actor and anti war activist whose film career spans over six decades. He's best known for his roles in The Hunger Games, Match, Invasion of the Body, and Don't look now.
Speaker 5: I did not know he's Canadian. Oh Am, I just learned something, all right. Colin drunkenly throws a glass and says Finn watch to Stingo. Colin is referencing the nineteen seventy nine novel Sophie's Choice, which centers around the relationships among three people sharing a boarding house in Brooklyn. Stingo, a young aspiring writer from the South, Jewish scientist Nathan Landau, and his lover Sophie, a Polish Catholic survivor of the German Nazi concentration camps, whom Stingo befriends.
Speaker 1: M merl Streep.
Speaker 2: Wow are you up, Scott?
Speaker 1: Yes? And I knew that. Laura le look at the soccer game. I get the short shortly, I get the shortes. Is that what happens? I don't want to do this when somebody else did, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: I love this one.
Speaker 3: Laura and Luke at the soccer game. And it like Beckham And It Like Beckham is a two thousand and two sports comedy drama film that followed a British Indian team Jess who just wants to play soccer but her parents forbid her from joining a team. And the Beckham is that Beckham? Who on my list is to watch that documentary on.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Amy, you haven't seen it?
Speaker 2: Is it amazing? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: I watched it twice. So good. I've never loved the song Islands in the Stream more. At least I know that part because it's David and Victoria.
Speaker 2: Just damn yeah. But like it's so good.
Speaker 4: And as as someone who I didn't know any of the stuff with like his soccer history, Like I mean I know he's a soccer player, but I don't know like the logistics of what happened in the game.
Speaker 2: It was like it was like watching.
Speaker 4: A movie and not talking. I was like on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 2: I'll get the way he grew up.
Speaker 1: And the way his dad coached him, and how gifted he was, and that that you know, that really long goal he kicked for Manchester when it was just like what seventeen? Oh my god, that's so good, freaking amazing, and who imbedded like Beckham launched the career of who. Oh you know Kiera Knightley.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, just when she.
Speaker 1: Hit the ground running. That's when the.
Speaker 2: Way to go. Guys, that's not even in our notes. I know.
Speaker 4: I always just think of when I think Kiera Knightley, I think of like the big launch was Pirates.
Speaker 1: Know what about that movie the Loved One that was after this was the thing that launched no way nobody knew about her, and then she rocked it in this movie.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was two thousand and two, and then Love actually was two thousand and three. Oh, Pirates two thousand and three, Pride and Prejudice two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Scott IMDb.
Speaker 1: Listen, I gotta earn I gotta somehow earn this big fat salary, because I'm certainly not doing it with this. So Laureleon look horrified at the violence in the game, Lorelei, who was their coach? Sam Peck and Paul, that's it's really good. David Samuel Peckhamball was an American film director and screenwriter. His films employed a visually innovative and explicit depiction of action and violence, as well as a revisionist approach to the Western genre. One of the Greats, One of the Greats.
Speaker 2: Lorelei and Luke are shocked after the game. It was violent.
Speaker 5: Scarface on a soccer field.
Speaker 3: Scarface is a nineteen eighty three American crime drama film that I've never scene that tells the story of a Cuban refugee, Tony Montana.
Speaker 2: But is it Tony Montoya.
Speaker 3: Montana Montoya is in Princess Bride Pardon Me? Who arrives penniless Tony Montana that is in Miami during the Mariel boatlett and becomes a powerful drug lord.
Speaker 1: What a film. My wife and I used to reenact that scene when he hits the dance floor and tries to talk to Michelle Pfeiffer at the Flamingo. Yes, I get on my knees and I played Tony and she's She's Michelle Pfiffer. It's really a star. We used to do it for our friends. Nobody cares. Yeah, ahead, Who's Who's up? Who's up? Who's up?
Speaker 2: I'll go.
Speaker 4: Logan's asking Rory and Jesse if they used to date. Logan says, so were you two high school sweethearts rocking around the clock? Two straws and the milkshake Logan Logan is referring to the American television sitcom Happy Days, which aired for eleven seasons and was considered one of the most successful series in the seventies. The series presented an idealized version of life in the fifties and the early sixties Midwestern United States.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee, to be exact.
Speaker 3: And my favorite line from Friends is but Jonie loves Chauncy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, friends.
Speaker 3: So in Friends, Phoebe makes a reference to Happy Days and she says, ch.
Speaker 1: Chi you know, I gotta tell you this was Logan at his arrogant best. Yeah, agreed, it really was. I mean, love hate him, it was. It was entertaining to listen to him just spew this stuff, Jess, it really was enjoyable.
Speaker 5: We also have to give a shout out talking about happy days to Marion Ross.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh and wonderful correct, what a catch tricks and the other one her cousin cousin Marilyn.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I learned something on TikTok that when Lauren got into the academy, I think it was Marion Ross and Sally Struthers that like sponsored her or some kind of something. I saw an interview she did for some reason, all her old interviews are coming up on my TikTok. So there was something about Marion Ross and I think Sally that helps Lauren get into the academy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I digress. Head to your tiktoks for that.
Speaker 5: All right, this is a lot one. This is Logan asking Jess about his novel, and Logan says, so what are we talking here? Short novel cough ca length or longer dos passos Tolstoy or longer. Robert Mussel Proust Franz Kafka was a German speaking Bohemian novelist and short story writer based in Prague who was widely regarded as one of the major figures of twentieth century literature. John Rodrigo dos Passos was an American novelist, most notable for his Usa Triu, a series of three novels, which were The forty Second, Parallel nineteen nineteen and The Big Money. Leo Tolstoy was a Russian writer regarded as one of the greatest authors of all time. Tolstoy's most notable works include the novels Warren Peace and Anna Karenina, often cited as pinnacles of realist fiction. Robert Mussel was an Austrian philosophical writer. His unfinished novel The Man Without Qualities is generally considered to be one of the most important and influential modernist novels. Valentine Proust was a French novelist, literary critic, and essayist who wrote the monumental novel A La Recherche du temperdu translated in English as Remembrance of Things Passed and more recently as In Search of Lost Time. He is considered to be one of the most influential authors of the twentieth century. So what is it like all the nationalities on that one.
Speaker 1: Got all those authors remind me of high school. Jeez wow, okay, who's up? Who's up?
Speaker 6: Is it? Me?
Speaker 2: Is it is? Last one?
Speaker 1: Ye? Upset that Logan was rude to Jess Logan. I was just challenging him. Jeez, hey, if Hemingway could take it. Hey, Ernest Hemingway boy really similar uh to his father in this regard. Right now, they both got in her face. She got hunts burgered twice. Ernest Hemingway was an American novelist, short story writer, and Journalist's economical and understated style, which included his Iceberg theory, had a strong influence on twentieth century fiction, and many of his works are considered classics of American literature. And that is going to do it, ladies and gentlemen, for this version of pop's culture. The next episode to season six, episode nine, The Prodigal Dollar Return. Thank you, ladies, Tara sued Susanne French, who is now in the group text. Congratulations for making the group text. There will be a ceremony and official certification awarded to you.
Speaker 2: I've hit the big time now.
Speaker 1: No, no, now, it's it's just you know, it's like now you're looking down at everybody. It's amazing and amy boom boom, sugarman.
Speaker 2: Good stuff this week, good stuff, right, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Seeing next week when it all goes to.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, really, I actually think.
Speaker 3: I don't hate it as much as others, but we'll definitely have to dig into it. People are really interested in your take.
Speaker 1: All right, good good deal.
Speaker 2: All right kids.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the downloads, keep the cards, letters, smoke signals, TikTok's coming our way. We appreciate it. Love your best fans on the planet, and always remember we and I am all in, stay safe, everyone, everybody to forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.