Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Command Center Commute Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smooth and Santana Loss. Guys, let's talk about the biggest surprises from the NFL Draft this week.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Forbes was a blessing.
Speaker 2: I mean, what was that. I was not a surprise. I was five seconds before you brought a manual.
Speaker 4: I was not a surprise to you.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying is Lord bless us in different ways. Now you gotta be is willing to accept your blessings. And that's what I feel it.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised that he went before Gonzalez?
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't because the more I watched Gonzale, the more I watched him never check anybody worth I mean pros. I had to ask myself how many pros have he went head to head with? And I saw none. I saw literally none. So if I'm if I'm a scouting, I'm trying to scap between these guys, why not take the guy that didn't played against Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, some of the best in the league. Don't let me go through the Alabama. So at the end of the day, it's just saying the proofs was in the pudding. I'm not shocked now size everybody want to do that. But I told you, when they cannot poke holes in your game, they poke holes in your frame. So we don't worn it.
Speaker 2: They don't bother me said, he's already up to like into the.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my biggest surprise stems away from the team.
Speaker 3: It's about the draft as a whole. Why do guys still.
Speaker 6: Get up and sit in that damn go to the draft when they really don't know where they're going to be laying bro I don't know who they are representing them. I don't know what's being told before that we are leading up to that week. But I'm not finna be mamboozo like that. If I'm not a thousand percent sure, and half the time you're not sure, nobody should you in the first five If you not, you know, if you wasn't Bright young Stroud Richardson property because I mean he quarterbacks, Yeah, but even that it was a quarterback there that was there the whole day and they just had the camera on him and his family. It got to the point right now where you're talking about this man's girlfriend more than you talking about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like you're talking about Will.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I didn't have to say his name.
Speaker 3: I didn't really want to say his name.
Speaker 6: I've seen meme talking about I've seen meme talking about coaches were calling trying to pick up his girlfriend and.
Speaker 4: We will live his girl. Yes, she's beautiful, great job.
Speaker 6: But I'm just, you know, I'm just I'm just it baffles me just to to to understand. I'm trying to understand why guys put their stuff through.
Speaker 5: That, you know it because we are part of this alpha male.
Speaker 4: Society that's the NFL.
Speaker 5: And everybody won't that moment on the stage, Like everybody, you know why they want to do. Everybody want to walk up there and pat the hands with the commission.
Speaker 3: You know what the biggest moment is.
Speaker 6: The biggest moment is when not just getting drafted, but going through the process and saying you're playing your first game and you.
Speaker 3: Go out there and be a stud. That's the moment that I want.
Speaker 6: I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure we all have different levels of moments we want to experience. But I felt like even when I got drafted, Like you know, folks that we asked this question last week about what what did you do?
Speaker 3: After it was all said.
Speaker 6: And done, I was nervous because I'm telling myself, excuse my French, I'm.
Speaker 4: Telling myself, listen exactly.
Speaker 6: I'm telling myself, Okay, I'm drafted. Now, now it's go time. Now it's time to go out there and put on I've been showed that I belong here, and I want to represent where I'm from more than anything, because I know these guys watch football and I can't come home and be like, yeah, boy, you won't even get in the game, or h yeah, well you're doing just what I thought you was going to do yesterday we thought. So it's bigger levels that I want to experience than just getting drafted.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's exactly right. Like for some people, their arrival is getting on stage, but I think for other people, like it's your first game, starting, first touchdown, whatever it is, and I think kind of keeping that priority for you guys. Was there any surprise that Houston traded back up to three to get Will Anderson. That was really surprising for me.
Speaker 4: If I was.
Speaker 5: Surprising that they traded all the way up to three what they gave up for. But now that is now that I have got away from it and the eye and the shock, why not for a first year coach, get your quarterback and get your edge rusher.
Speaker 4: Those are the two things you legitly need.
Speaker 5: And I understand you're gonna talk about the four first round pick they gave what to get it. But I'm sorry if you fell in love with both of these guys and here go yo, two anchors. You got an anchor on offense and an anchor on defense. I'm not mad at that, especially with a defensive head coach.
Speaker 4: I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad.
Speaker 6: Also, I think when you look at it, what this game has been.
Speaker 3: You know what we speak on now when it comes to the NFL.
Speaker 6: You know, every Sunday morning we're talking about the quarterback and we're talking about someone who's basically rushing that quarter back in the quarter.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So it's like that is the these are the guys who we posterize now in a So if you got two of those guys that's available and you have the picks that you can go out there and get them.
Speaker 3: Know, hey, I go at them.
Speaker 6: And when it comes to Alabama, you know what I mean, you're talking about talent from Alabama. He didn't have to even put up numbers, just had to be considered one of the best.
Speaker 3: And guys are gonna go get talent like that from Alabama.
Speaker 6: So I can say I wasn't surprised, but I was just I was surprised that they didn't allow him to go anywhere else. They're like, look, we want him. He's a guy that's gonna fit, so I'm going to get.
Speaker 2: I guess I was surprised because to me, what's the difference between him and Tyree Wilson, you know, you only have a trade up to seven, or what's the difference between him and Lucas Fvan. That's plus all the picks you gave up. You're building a team. You're the Houston Texans. You have so many holes in your roster, right, I want more draft capital, more picks, more opportunities, more bang for your book. That's exactly right. And I felt like the obviously with this pick specifically, but throughout the draft. Houston was just so careless with their picks. They went in with twelve. I think they ended up with making six selections or something like that, because they trade well their stuff.
Speaker 4: Listen, it's like being married.
Speaker 5: You're a successful mary guy right here.
Speaker 4: You don't need three, you need one. You need right, you need the right one.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, I understood this.
Speaker 5: Here's just sent you know what forgetting getting ten players, Let's get the right one, two, three or four players. Yeah, let's get the quarterback. They got the quarterback. They wanted a guy that could throw from the pocket, the guy that can move. Let's get us an edge rushing to make other people quarterbacks don't feel well.
Speaker 4: They got them an edge rusher.
Speaker 5: Don't forget they have some good draft picks last year on the guy that I didn't like was Green because he got beat like a drum.
Speaker 2: He might develop.
Speaker 5: But they got some legit guys on that roster right now.
Speaker 4: So I'm not mad at the Texas.
Speaker 5: Matter of fact, I think when we turned back three years from now, the Texas will look and have one of.
Speaker 2: The better drafts out of the drafts.
Speaker 6: And then you got also think too you know, we get so caught up in just the players itself.
Speaker 3: They gotta sell tickets.
Speaker 6: So at the end of the day, you know, not not only are we getting guys to come in here and make our team better, we want blockbusted guys. That's going to sell jerseys and sell tickets.
Speaker 2: All right. So another thing that I found very surprising was the Lions draft, specifically in the first round. Obviously, I think as a draft as a whole, you feel pretty good about They get Ryan Branch, you get some pieces, but you select a running back at twelve, Gibbs. So a lot of people said, you get in theecond round, the proces of training down, and they select Jack Campbell. The other thing I want to bring up, Fred is you could have selected b Jon Robinson at six before you trade it down, trade down to twelve, pick Gibbs, and then you select Jack Campbell at eighteen.
Speaker 4: Don't you hate old Jack Campbell? Now?
Speaker 2: You know I love Jack Campbell. We're locks up on Jack Campbell, right, But it just seems like the value for the picks a little bit richie, Right, What is reaching?
Speaker 5: When I when I like somebody, what is reached? Like, what's the other quarterback on the field, it's the middle landbacker. Without the middle labbacker. We on defense, we can't maximize our skill sit with doubt him. If he's not when that quarterback checks my lineback and not checking us into the right thing, we're gonna lose that chess match. Like Jack Cameron, Then look at what Detroit is building on. I always say I ain't worried about who you draft. Who do you already have and who's coming?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: And in Jack Campbell to that defense last year that they had with Ain't Hutchinson and the rest of those.
Speaker 4: Guys that makes them specials.
Speaker 5: And then they knew what we did, knew that they was trading Swift.
Speaker 3: They knew it.
Speaker 5: So guess what we all agree It was two backs in his draft that were different, and Jamar I mean Jamier Gibbs one of them. You can't let him get to the luxury picks with the playoff teams because that's what's gonna draft him. So I'm not mad at Detroit. You see a girl you proposed to him.
Speaker 4: And you married.
Speaker 2: Huh. I'm gonna say this real quick, sorry, Tanna. But what the thing that gets me is that if the consensus on Jack Campbell, and you don't know. That's why this is tough. You don't know. If the consensus on Jack Campbell is that he is a late first early second round pick, trade back to twenty five and take him, trade out of that spot. If that's your guys, mirror Gibbs, if the consensus is that he's at a late first, early second, And again I understand, you don't know. And I think he's a game changing player. It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Guys want them on the table. You don't want them.
Speaker 6: You don't want him in the line them, I don't want nobody else.
Speaker 5: Have they shot shot my girl?
Speaker 4: I can tell you ain't dated.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just saying like, this is analytics. This is a little nerdy. Let me push my glasses up my nose. But what I'm saying is like, from an analytics perspective, if if that's the general consensus, why not trade back and give yourself more opportunities. You need a guard. And I will say, overall their draft is really good, but that the process there seemed a little bit you know, over eager. Let's yeah, yeah, you know, And I.
Speaker 4: Feel like football players were making the dre up. Yes, yeah, it was cam football player.
Speaker 5: So he's going looking for football players. And what I say is this, at the end of the day, I don't want to hear what may or Kaype saying, who's twenty field? Plear who's the tenth players played?
Speaker 3: We know what.
Speaker 4: It's ala carte. You want it, you buy it, you get it.
Speaker 3: It don't matter.
Speaker 5: You know how many players that we thought was going first round did not go first round because they was never a first round pick. They only got there because Todd and Shaye and everybody picking them up and say this is the logical pick.
Speaker 4: This ain't about logic.
Speaker 5: This is about who what athletes am I add to my team to take us to the next level.
Speaker 4: I thought Detroit did a daymn good job.
Speaker 6: Yes, we couldn't say that. He could have said it better. I mean, I think when you look at it, I didn't know they was gonna get rid of Swift.
Speaker 3: So that was one of the reasons why I said they didn't even need a running back, you know.
Speaker 6: And when I saw him pick up a running back, I'm like, well, that's a great running back to go with Swift. And then I'm damn, wait a minute, Swift gone now so you know, when you talk about the b John Robertson situation, I'm sitting there like, well, wow, that's a great reason why they didn't get him because of Swift. And then now you're sitting there and looking and you cratch your head. Now, I don't have a problem with their draft picks. You know, I'm not solely big. I'm not big on looking all these how many more picks I can get?
Speaker 3: You know, you guys break that down.
Speaker 6: I'll be sitting here scratching my head, like, well, you know what, he made a great point. But when I saw him pick up that picked the quarterback up, to me that that's solidified everything they did in the draft, because I'm like, now you're planning for the future. Now you're really saying that, you know what. I know, my guy here has done a good job. Everybody everybody counted him out, and he showed that he can he can.
Speaker 3: Still play football.
Speaker 6: But I also can use him to bring this young kid up. And you saw what he did at Tennessee last year.
Speaker 3: You saw what you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's pretty, he's a little older also, but I think mentally he's a guy that I want to have teach my team.
Speaker 5: And the fact that don't forget this future draftcap because you're gonna trade a quarter up, right, So it's all about the future step. So I'm not mad at Detroit. I'm also I just don't I've never liked the draft gurus, Like.
Speaker 4: They don't do it. They don't do it.
Speaker 5: For me, and then they show don't do it for meter word because they damn wrong. Before the draft, they point out all the places these guys gonna go, they never go. Then after these guys get drafted, then they graded, then they grade the draft pick, and then they say, I'm gonna get his group of set.
Speaker 4: You don't know what these guys.
Speaker 6: Gonna I'm still lost with that whole draft.
Speaker 2: The post grade is the thing that pisses me off more than anything in the whole world. But real quick, are there any surprising slides from the draft? And anybody were like, man, I can't believe they were in the third.
Speaker 5: Roos, like Thanos, the one Jones, I can't believe. Like I was just sitting there, like I just cannot believe six eight, three hundred and eighty pounds ain't got drafted yet. So me and you start to talk. You said it got to be out the field. This cannot be on the field. So it was most definitely Thanos and Donnelle Washington.
Speaker 6: I was about to say down in Washington falling, and everybody had high hopes to him. You know what I mean, somebody's size alone, You know what I mean, I would I would have thought he would have been you know, went a lot earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. And so all right, let's get to our next segment. Boom or bust? All right, John Robinson to the Atlanta Falcons. Can they maximize what he does?
Speaker 6: They they gonna be bringing the dirty bird back, you hear me. They got a running back now listen.
Speaker 5: No, they got a trip, they got triples. Yeah, they got a tight end. Kyle Pitts, who I love. I thought he's the ultimate unicorn. Drake London at WI at six.
Speaker 2: But they haven't used them.
Speaker 4: Well, well guess what, Cale Pits been hurt. He was hurt.
Speaker 5: Drake London caught the ball well last year, but and he was catching the ball from Marcus Mary.
Speaker 2: But in that offense, and then how many touches are they going to get?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: They have two good backs already, they have Cordell Patterson and Algiers. Right, So how many touches? I think is this person you took at eight?
Speaker 4: I think also the quote he's gonna be the centerpiece.
Speaker 6: I think also that quarterback is gonna be a better, think, better, you know, piece for them this year. Also, I think because I liked him come out of college and just knowing that now he's going in the second year, he got to worry about the Heinikee being behind him because you know, you know, if Heinekee brings his fan base from from here to back to back home to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I hope you rock group.
Speaker 4: You need to feel in singing position. Yeah, he will fell in and make things. I think they're gonna be damn okay with those triples.
Speaker 2: So you think, boom is he booming? Or but boom okay?
Speaker 4: The booming all right?
Speaker 2: So over under two and a half, quarterbacks being busts out of those guys that were selected in the first or I guess anybody select.
Speaker 5: The numbers, say you are correct, you know, I'm sorry. We go back and so who is it?
Speaker 2: So who's gonna bust, who's gonna boom? Who's gonna bust out of the quarterbacks?
Speaker 4: Right we go.
Speaker 3: We got young Young.
Speaker 2: To the Panthers. We got C. J. Stroude of Houston, we got Richardson and the Colts. Will Levis the Titans, hooker of the Lions. Who's booming, who's busting out of those guys?
Speaker 3: Boom?
Speaker 4: Is ya bright?
Speaker 5: You don't feel safety? He feels very safe. He won't cheat on you, He's a good husband. I'm gonna go him and Anthony Richardson. I just I feel like Anthony is gonna be a super star, like at the start. So if I got to pick two out of these five, that's my two.
Speaker 6: I actually don't hate that my two is young And you know what, No, I'm not gonna say. I'm not gonna say his name because honestly, I'm questioning Stroud because just from the past quarterbacks from Ohio State, I'm just I'm hoping that he's better than those.
Speaker 4: Does he wear lipstick? He had the pinkest.
Speaker 3: Ever seen in my life.
Speaker 6: But if you had to ask me, I would say, I'm going with I'm gonna be a little different, you know what I mean? Fred say two of them, I'm gonna say, this whole class go out there and do their thing.
Speaker 2: Really, I think I.
Speaker 3: Think this, I think this, this is this morning going.
Speaker 6: This is gonna be one of the first quarterback classes that all of these guys go out there and reachtate true potential.
Speaker 2: That is the oldest class.
Speaker 6: I mean, honestly, you look at it. I mean, we we look forward to seeing these guys fair. I think the lead No, I'm not saying we do. I'm not saying us, but I'm saying the lead basically put these guys up and say, well, they normally don't make it because of what they do in college, and you know it's not the same talent. But I think now the way things are transcending, all these guys can do what we action up the quarterback to do now.
Speaker 4: But they can't all five be franchised.
Speaker 6: You right, But I'm not saying they're not gonna all be franchised, guy, but they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have great careers. Okay, A franchise.
Speaker 2: Gotta that's a very thing to say.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna shy away from that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So let's get to the next one. Who won the draft in your opinion, best draft, Philip.
Speaker 5: You're gonna skip the Hall of Fame, phil Philip, Philip, Philly, Philly.
Speaker 2: You want to go Okay, all right, we can go back.
Speaker 4: Now you want to go back, I want you to pull the truck back.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna back up. We're gonna go back to boom or busts. Who is who's your bet the future?
Speaker 4: Got to pick one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of the draft man.
Speaker 7: Let honest, that's what you want to tell You want to tell me one way to get yourself in the Hall of Fame. That's the big six yr way and that and I'm telling you like this, the Slim Reaper, whatever you want to call him, he will be wearing.
Speaker 4: That yellow jack. I'm gonna be right there to put it on his back.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I roll up in a wheelchair and put that yellow jacket right on his What's.
Speaker 2: The percentage percentage of money that he's giving you?
Speaker 4: None?
Speaker 5: This is all from what I see with these eyes that just saw a lot.
Speaker 4: I just hope you're right.
Speaker 3: I don't care about picking nobody. I'm gonna ride with you, buddy.
Speaker 4: I don't want no not a soul. I'm riding for. Who is your one guy? Jaylen Cotton?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Card, But you know the work ethic stuff really makes me nervous. That makes me superice.
Speaker 5: But them tears that you saw at the draft, I had those tears, and them tears come to revenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the tears say thank you. Now I'm gonna go out. I'm gonna hurt somebody.
Speaker 2: He's got the most I think we could agree, the highest upside and because of who he's with. Yeah, absolutely, college to what.
Speaker 6: You know what too, man, I like I like that pick up by the by the Ravers, that receiver.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, it's funny now. It's looking at flowers.
Speaker 6: It's funny looking now being one of those guys that they tried to keep out the first round, you know what I mean. They talked about me coming to the first round. I'm sitting there like you mean to Timm, It's never been a guy my size. And you know, after that year or so when me and Steve started in this league and we was able to stay outside, that's one of the things people don't talk about enough. We was five to nine on a great day and we was outside playing.
Speaker 3: We didn't play. We didn't move into the slough the lady in our career and now.
Speaker 6: You see so many guys side they just pray Hey, this guy could come in and be a minie impact.
Speaker 3: So I love seeing a guy like Flowers.
Speaker 6: Just saw what he did at Boston College, being the first first round draft pick for Boston College.
Speaker 2: That's that's huge, all right. So on that point, now, can we talk about the next thing you want? Who won the draft? Tennis?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say Philly. I'm gonna say Philly. I just think, man, I'm not even solely talking about this year.
Speaker 4: Listen, they scare everybody. Listen, listen, three Roseman. It's a cheat sheep speak.
Speaker 2: You heard that other general managers Like, that's.
Speaker 5: When you know you're doing your Like when people start to hate on you, like somebody always told me, boy, when they talking about you and it ain't got nothing good to say, you doing something right? How Roseman is embarrassing? These dudes ain't moving, just waiting on everything to come to him. And he takes the most logical picks like he's not Like the one thing I hate about GM. They want to be the smartest person in the room. But if you got to tell somebody the smarter person in the room, you're probably not. He is pulling the trigger when other guys are not, and that's the difference. Like if you want to win, It's like like in college, everybody like Nick Saban the best coach.
Speaker 4: No, Nick Saban is the best recruiter.
Speaker 5: So when you recruit better than everybody, you're going to beat everybody. And right now, Philadelphi years, but I'm gonna go with the Texans. I just felt like they hit two key positions in a reveal quarterback past rushing.
Speaker 4: I have to get a Textans.
Speaker 2: I will say this, Fred, I'm surprised after your great defense of the Detroit Lions that they're not in you. No.
Speaker 4: I love you know, I love you know. I love Campbell.
Speaker 2: I know that's one player in the draft.
Speaker 4: No coach Dan Campbell.
Speaker 5: I love what he like he has and I have to give him the pros for this. He has the only all X football player coaching staff.
Speaker 4: I respect that.
Speaker 6: Do y'all think the draft is one? I mean one or lost? With just the draft itself? I think all that stuff matters, you know, the outside free agency picking up you know what I mean. So that's why you know I give Philly that now, because it's just not just the draft. These guys are making crazy making trades and then you got to think about you go back to last year the trade they made that was very pivotal for their offense. Then you come back a year later and then they go out there and as Swift come on, it's almost cheating, you know.
Speaker 2: But it all comes back, man to that Carson Wentz trade. And you mentioned this earlier, Fred getting quarterbacks. Trading quarterbacks. It's a valuable resource. It allows you to kind of stockpile draft capital then utilize it how you want. All right, So I think we're all in agreement there probably Philadelphia, So Tanna Smooth. What are you guys watching me? You're watching something like everything?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Where's this other show? This new show called Grand Crew, Grand Crew, Grand.
Speaker 5: Crew, And it's it's a comedy and it's about this group and all they do is go drink wine.
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 4: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: Is it like a documentary or no, it's not a documentary.
Speaker 5: It's like a thirty minute show that's really comedy, kid and it's so funny. You have to check it out. It's it's amazing.
Speaker 3: So I was watching last night.
Speaker 6: I actually fell asleep on the last episode episode, Rough Diamond Rough Diamonds a great show on Netflix. I had just finished Diplomat, and I had finished before Diplomat, I'll be finished The Recruit.
Speaker 3: So if you go to Nick Flick, she watching TV.
Speaker 6: I watched nothing but staying in the house.
Speaker 3: Watch. It's what I've been doing.
Speaker 6: I either work out, ride the bike, and I'm watching. I'm watching Netflix all the time.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Love the three? Which was your favorite out of those three?
Speaker 3: The Recruit, The Recruit, The Recruits, it was awesome. Little Mats showed me, you know, the diplomatic sounds.
Speaker 6: It seemed to me like the show that they had here in d C with the girl.
Speaker 3: Car washed. Carry watched. It seems a little scandalous a little bit, but it shows you.
Speaker 6: It gives you a little sneak peak of how things are going on.
Speaker 4: The gardens at the Galaxy.
Speaker 2: Man for that.
Speaker 4: Ah, I'm waiting. I love it.
Speaker 2: So I'm watching Jury Duty. It's like kind of like The Office, but there's one person in there who's like not in on the joke. So everyone's actors except for one person, right, and so it's like you're kind of all this crazy stuff is happening, and the guy's like, I don't know, and it's like real interviews with him. It's very, very unusual. I can't decide whether it's mean or whether it's funny. But it's been a good show. So are you an eater?
Speaker 3: Why you TV?
Speaker 4: Usually?
Speaker 2: Usually I left.
Speaker 4: I watched it Lift you Gotta weight, bitch in your living room.
Speaker 2: I got like a little piece of exercise equipment that I invented that I used.
Speaker 5: I can just see Lovely just sitting here watching us watching doing push up, man Landry in that doing curl in the big team meeting room, Like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: I then you gotta check out the command center on YouTube at the Commander's YouTube page. Catch you guys next week.