Speaker 1: Welcome to Chopping It Up. I'm your host, Mike Hallen, the senior Restaurant food Service Analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Our research and that of bi's five hundred analysts around the globe can be found exclusively on the Bloomberg terminal. If you enjoy the pod, please hook me up and give us a five star review on Apple or Spotify. Today I'm joined by Lyle Tick, CEO of BJ's Restaurants.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the pod. Lyle, thank you very much. Excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, so I haven't yet been to a BJ's but Zuki. Yeah, the pazuki looks fantastic, however, especially you had that recent butterfinger lt O. Man, that thing looked like, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, they are. They are a phenomenon and they are cravable. I was actually yesterday at won By my house with my kids. We just came out with a cookie monster pazuki with blue ice cream, and my kids were dining to go get it. So yesterday we had a little mid afternoon snack.
Speaker 1: Very nice, I think, you know. And we were talking before we started recording. You're from New York, I'm here in New Jersey. I think there's one in Is there one in Bergen County?
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a name and you wet there's Valley Stream, there's Teeterborough, there's a there's a handful around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, call yeah, So that's the one I'm going to have to get to. So your career didn't start in the restaurant industry.
Speaker 2: What drew you to it? Uh? Well, actually, restaurant industry goes back to my childhood. So when I was really at my father passed when I was young, when I was twelve, but the a couple of years before he passed, he became a partner with the ottam and Elli brothers who still had butcher shops in New York, and back in the day they had little Italian cafes and they had a steakhouse. And when I was really young, I was doing kind of prep work in the kitchens and just around the restaurants. And then you know, through college, I've done every job you could do in a restaurant. So restaurants and food and beverage, you know, were in my blood. Spent part of my professional career at Bacardi. So that kind of community of food and drink has always been there and now when I had an opportunity to go to Inspire Brands and work with Buffalo Wild Wings, that kind of brought me into it from a professional career point of view directly and haven't looked back since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the people are the best man. When I was younger, do I am I remembering correctly? Were there Automanelli's commercials?
Speaker 2: I don't believe so. I mean, there was a butcher shop on eighty second in York. There was a steakhouse right connected to it, and then over time they started to open up these like small Italian cafes, and I think they're back down to just the butcher shop. I think. I'm not sure the Upper East Side won't exist anymore. There's one in Soho now. But yeah, it was a good old school Italian butcher shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the name's definitely ringing a bell. So what attracted you to BJS?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny. When I was at b Dubs, BJ's actually wasn't hugely on my radar, so I wasn't wildly familiar with it until the board reached out and I started to visit BJS, and I felt like going into BJS that this was a concept that had all the ingredients to be really successful and be a better alternative, you know, in its category. It has facilities that in general are differentiating. You know, you come in, you have the high ceilings, the bar, the energy, it's got really good quality food. It's got a nice selection that allows kind of broad occasionality. And one of the things I found most fascinating when I walked into a BJS was if you look around at BJ's, you will see everything from like a high school baseball team to a happy hour, to a girls group hanging out, to your parents having dinner, to families hanging out. I mean, it is this incredible cross section of people that somehow coexists, right, and it's all good whether you're having happy hour at the bar, you're a family having dinner. And I found that to be really fascinating and compelling because I feel like there's not that many spaces and places that can do that, particularly these days, and I found it really cool that BJ's was able to do that. So on the products side, I was like, Wow, there's a lot of things to work with here. And then on the board side, we had a board who has a big ambition for what the next chapter of BJ's can be and how we can realize the full potential of the brand, And that was very exciting to me to have kind of the ingredients to work with and a board that was very ambitious, and so it's been a great partnership since. Cool.
Speaker 1: Can you talk a little bit about the company's culture and how you aim to influence it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean one of the really cool things about BJS is you got a lot of people here who have been on the Bjay's journey for a long time. So if I look at you know, everybody from you know, my chief operating officer who has been here twenty plus years, to his vPOS, to the doos, even in my GM levels, like, you got a lot of people who have been here for a long time. And what underpins that is a real care for BJS and an energy for BJS and a desire for BJS to be successful. And so you got people in this business that you know, are in it for their career and are in it to make BJS great and care about the brand and care about each other. And that foundation is kind of, you know, the most amazing thing to be able to build from, because you can't you can't just create that right that exists. And then you know, I think coming in it was about making sure that we were really clear on what we were doing and why. And so we did a lot of strategy work together right on brand positioning and all that stuff, understanding where we had opportunities to better understanding where we did really well. And that work was done purposely, cross functionally and down a few levels so that everyone in the company is no more than a couple of degrees of separation away from somebody who was in the room defining the strategy and having real ownership and skin in it, right, And so you know that for me, gets everybody aligned and rown in the same direction. And then it's about you know, driving down accountability and making sure that people are clear on what we're doing, why we're doing it, and we're holding each other accountable for it, and having fun along the way. And of course, you know, as the business improves, that last part gets a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey man, Transparency, accountability, and fun and those are three very important to an organization, you know, something that all organizations can use.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Talk to me a little bit about the simplification efforts that you've spearheaded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at a high level, right, there's kind of two questions I ask everybody to think about, maybe a little bit oversimplified, but is what we're doing going to make things better or easier for a team member and or better and easier for a guest. Because I think if we can keep those two things central, and what we're doing is true to that, there's a virtuous circle in that because it's generally going to make people more happy and return more, but it's also generally going to make you more efficient, right, And so part of what we did along the way at the beginning, when we were just dissecting the business, for example, is we were looking at you know, our gross to neet and we were looking at our comps, and we saw that our comp food and beverage was pretty high and that a full third of those were rung in wrong and prepared wrong. Well, I can tell you that not one of my team members is coming in trying to wring something in a prepared wrong. She got asked yourself, why is that happening? Right? And you go and you talk to the team members, you spend time at the managers, and you understand that the way they're having to enter things in are potentially making things difficult. The way things are showing up and being sequenced on the KDS is making things difficult for a cook. And so one of the things we've done is gone through a series of kind of simplifications just understanding Margarita. Simplifications like how all the modifiers were coming in reduced Margarita's by like twenty percent. You know, burgers like eighty percent of our modifications, or four types of cheese. Yet there's like seventy modifications that somebody has to delve into to find, you know, the top couple. So how do we raise those up? You know, we talked to our cooks and the way checks were showing up on the KDS and being organized and sequenced weren't helping them keep tracks. So stuff was going in the window and waiting for something else right, And so it's a lot of those kind of little things, you know, that we find ourselves today with comp food and beverage down double digits. Now, the reason for me that's important is, I mean there's the commercial side of it, which is that flows obviously straight through to profit, but the bigger thing is it's one less uncomfortable conversation with a guest. It's a quicker table turn, it's one less uncomfortable situation for a team member, right, And so there's kind of a virtuous circle to it. And so it's things like that where you know, we talk to our team members, they're like, look, everybody's coming into the restaurant today, you know, young people, and they're not they're not a wallet. They want a tap to pay, And we had kind of inconvenient tap to pay solutions. You kind of had to go to take out or had to go to the bar to tap to pay, right, And so now we're looking at how we integrating that into the kind of digital checkout at the table. We started just last year we didn't have Apple Pay. We integrated Apple Pay, and usage of Apple Pay has gone up. So, you know, it's a lot of little things that come from listening to the people that are operating the business every day. And then there's the broader like menu work, right, and that menu work happens over time, but like there's a lot of day to day stuff you can do to make things easier for guests and team members.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and listen to all those little things add up to big things.
Speaker 2: So that's right.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great place to focus. I know it's still early on, but how are customers reacting to the pizza refresh.
Speaker 2: So as far as we can tell, really well, right, So we like what we're seeing in MPs. We like what we're seeing an incident s which is up almost double digits, you know, check and margin is what we thought it would be. So it's operating a lot like it did in the test restaurants. So all of that is really really good, you know. I think in our business full service, when you think about like the amount of frequency you had per year, so it's you know, a couple of times a year on average, and you get up to four plus for loyalty. But it's not like QSR. So to ultimately definitively say that we're driving more frequency off of it, we would I'd want a little longer to say that, you know, and I take the full eighteen months i've been here, I can definitively say that what we've done has improved frequency, But to isolate it to pizza, I'll want a little more time. But all the early indicators we're happy with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair, and can talk maybe about what you expected to do to check and then also the margin profile of the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, pizza checks tend to have a slightly advantageous percentage margin to your average check, right, so as you grow those that should be help full from a cost of sales point of view. The pizza checks tend to look a lot like other checks, but they have different composition to them, right, So I'm talking about in terms of size of check, but they have a different composition to them. You see kind of more people at the table often because it's shaable. You'll see more appetizers and drinks hung off of those checks. So the composition of them is different. But you know, ultimately from a size of check per person, they look quite similar.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, beer and pizza go together like peanut butter and jelly in my books.
Speaker 2: So there you go. There you go, all right? Cool?
Speaker 1: What else are you leaning into to drive sales and traffic growth here in twenty six Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, when I look at the work we've done and I think about it, it's not you know, I'm a big believer, it's not any one thing that we've done, right, Like, for me, it starts with addressing what we called the table stakes operations and improving the basics of operating great restaurants and making people feel good and seeing those NPS scores increase and seeing our team member retention increase, which has a straight correlation to sales and profit of restaurants. And then you kind of build on top of that the value layer with the Pazuki meal deal. And then at the end of last year, we just got into some of those kind of product and experience growth drivers as we got into seasonal pazukis and pizza. So you know, really what I see us doing is continuing to build off of those foundations as we go forward. So you'll continue to see us lean into how we can improve operation and guest experience. You'll continue to see us lean into the seasonal pazukis, and we'll start moving beyond the pizza category into other categories of the menu as we continue to look for opportunities to refresh and simplify where appropriate while protecting the turf coverage, which is critical to those occasions that we talked about at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, and you know, the stock has basically been had money for a couple of years now, since twenty three looking into the results. You know, I don't cover BJS, but you know, i'd have to imagine margins are a pretty big issue there. So outside of driving traffic, outside of selling more pizzas which are very margin friendly, are what's in your plans to help expand margins this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, if you look at us, you know last year, I mean we expanded margin last year over one hundred basis points, right, I mean we I think we're on a good trajectory. We have more sales coming into the business and more profit dollars coming out of the business than ever before. And you know, ultimately I take profit dollars to the bank. We see again headroom off of the things that we've been doing. So I mean obviously sales and traffic. Right, if you don't have sales and traffic, you know, that's a key to the leverage all of the simplification work that we've been doing, and focus on operating BET restaurants that has headroom, like we haven't rung the towel dry on those things. And then as we continue to look ahead a little further out, we're starting to get into how we can leverage technology more effectively to help us be more efficient and effective. So you may have heard me talk a little bit about the activity based labor model, which is based off of AI forecasting. That's at about thirty percent of our restaurants right now. The real KPIs for that for me are about guess satisfaction, Right, do I have the right people in the right place at the right time to drive a better experience? And you know, I'm seeing encouraging results across those with the biggest one in pace, which is where I'd want to see it. It does suggest we can save a few hours collectively, it says we need more hours in our peak times and less hours and kind of the shoulders and beyond. So we see expanding that over the course of the year. And then you start to think about the other use cases. Right, So, coming off of labor scheduling, once that's embedded, you start to think about how can great forecasting help you with prep which helps again with waste and cost of sales, and how does that then help you order? So I see this as kind of a multi year project on helping to tune kind of the engine of the business more effectively inefficient.
Speaker 1: All right, Great, is your new unit prototype ready for primetime?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm super excited about the design and I'm super excited about the way we've we've constructed it. Because we've constructed it as I feel like we're really clear on what are kind of our brand anchors and standards and how we want to BJ's to look and feel, and we've been really conscious about saying, can we apply that kind of flexibly to different formats, different sizes, different shapes to open up our ability to do everything from you know, a traditional ground up prototype, you know, to a conversion to potentially unit that isn't as big as a traditional BJS but still has all the same feeling if the market is appropriate for that. So, you know, our first two will be in market at the end of this year. But really excited about obviously what I've seen on paper and what we're working with in architects and what we're seeing. But you know that proof will be in market towards the end of this year and then continuing to be piloted and kind of tweaked and refined into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Great, and do you have any targeted unit economics that you're willing to share.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have talked about that publicly outside of the fact that you know, as we're thinking about kind of our IRR right, we obviously want that to outpace our cost of capital, and so you know, we're targeting mid to upper teams as we get into market and continue to improve that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, what's the alcohol mix and have you seen any change? You know, a lot of your competitors obviously are moving into mocktails and things of that nature. So if you could just talk about, you know, where the mix is now and I guess maybe where it's come from in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a fascinating you know, part of the business and just generally in society, how the idea of social drinking has evolved and what people are drinking when they hang out, and that's evolving off and on premise. From our business, we have seen a bit of contraction there when we look at our mix. Our mix is in like the mid teens when you take beer, alcohol and wine together. I think the interesting part about it, that's sales mix, right. The interesting part about it is when you look at the amount of checks that it's attached to is you get check mix, right, and we have alcoholic beverages attached to a little over fifty percent of our checks. So what that tells me, right, is that the you know, alcoholic beverage is still critical and it's a critical component to that social kind of splurge occasion that we've positioned ourselves in now. The components of the table if it's a group of four maybe in the past where three people are having a drink, maybe two people are having an alcoholic drink, and two people are having a non out. Maybe somebody's having less than they used to have. So you know, this dynamic of how total beverage grows is really what we're thinking about, right, How do we drive total beverage versus kind of just thinking about ALC and NA beverage is two separate things. We're trying to think about it as social drinking and how do we enable that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting man, the impact of the younger generations and GLP ones. And if you told me five years ago that Texas Roadhouse was going to start selling mocktails, I would have looked at you funny, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean we're all looking at it these days. And you know we have we have mocktails, we have na beverages. You know, it's interesting to see what translates from off to on, you know what I mean. Like for years in the alcohol industry, right, like hard seltzers were driving all of the growth in off premise, those never effectively translated into on premise, right. So you know, as you continue to experiment and kind of test and learn, what of those trends translate and what are people looking for in an on premise social experience?
Speaker 1: For sure? How confident are you in the company site selection process?
Speaker 2: I feel really good about it. I mean what we did when we came in obviously we paused, you know, unit growth for a minute, and we kind of did two pieces of work. The first piece of work was in analysis on our remodels, and we were looking at our remodel program and said, are we comfortable that we're clear on what makes a difference in our remodels And we felt comfortable that, and as you've seen, we've leaned into the remodel program and we feel good about that. On the back end of that, what we did is we said, okay, let's look at our new unit growth and our nros and say how do we feel about that and where we're putting them, and getting confident with that as we go back to build pipeline. And to be honest, I think the biggest thing for us is, in my opinion, about geographical selection, right. I think the company had spent a fair bit of time in recent years greenfield, and I think it was in the process of saying, Okay, BJ's works everywhere. Well, I think we're clear BJS can work everywhere, and so now what I'm looking at is how do I fill in where we have units? So in a market where I'm between clubs, I can get Sorry, I'm meaning like I only have a couple of units and I can't get real multi unit management leverage on that. I can't get supply chain leverage on that. If I'm building pipeline of management, am I getting somebody to move to a totally green field place? Or can I build within the market? And there's an alchemedical awareness and consideration. So I want to build out because we have a lot of markets where we have two or three where we can build out. And then I think, as we showed last year, we open one in Arizona where we've got. It's a you know, a market where I would say we're relatively mature. We open one in California south of Sacramento. I think it was the end of the year before another mature market. Like I don't really have any markets where I'm fully penetrated, and so I want to build out and then get to those markets by building out for concentric circles. I don't need to go green Field unnaturally. If you will, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you gone public with any of the markets that you're really excited about?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've talked publicly about it. Although next year, as we look at at the two that are opening, one will be a good example of a market where we have a couple and we think filling in is going to be there's gonna be an alchemy to that. And the other is going to be in a legacy market where we feel like we continue to have headroom and you know, we can get out to a super strong start and drive that.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah for sure. And what's you know, I know this is a couple of years out, but you know, what's the right and net unit growth target for BJSON?
Speaker 2: You know, the way I look at it is. You know, if we are a couple this year, you know, a few more in twenty twenty seven, and I see us getting up to kind of double digit not percentage, but units as we go forward. And then as we continue to gain confidence in it, we will you know, be putting the pedal down for But as I see the next kind of couple a few years trajectory, that's that's how I see it playing out.
Speaker 1: All right, good stuff. And as I mentioned earlier, I still haven't been to BJ's yet. What should I order?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, well, let's let's maybe we start backwards, going up right, You're gonna have to get a pazuki. Uh that is that is kind of a non negotiable. And uh, if I was you, I bring a group so you could explore some of the pazukis. And and that's what BJ's is about anyway. You know, if I'm starting out the meals, so my son is obsessed with the potstickers, I think we have some of the best wings in the game, So you know, I would get after the wings. And right now we have these buffalo chicken sliders that just launched as an lto that are awesome, And so you know, i'd probably get after those, and then as I'm going into the entrees, you know, I think we have great burgers. You got a great chicken sandwich. Surprisingly, maybe we have a awesome salmon. It's a beautiful fresh product. It goes through the pizza oven so it's cooked perfectly every single time, So you know, in awesome salmon, that's kind of a go to for me when I go in there.
Speaker 1: Well, dude, I love your passion for the menu. Now, I think I have even a better idea about why you joined BJ's.
Speaker 2: The Mike's Hot Honey lto pizza that's out right now. It's like Pepperoni and Mike's Hot Honey. It is. It's a very cravable slice of pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually that looks fantastic and hot honey and pepperonia is right on my alley. So awesome, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love your passion, dude, I love I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to a following the story And thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I'll meet you at a BJ's when I'm when I'm in New York.
Speaker 1: Now you're talking, man. I also want to thank the audience for tuning in. If you'd like To find your nearest BJ's, go to BJ's Restaurants dot com. If you liked our discussion, please share with your friends and colleagues, and check back soon for another interview on chopping it up.