Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast can take spoilers for Peacemaker or HBO Max, as well as the DCEU in general, some comics, most notably the Peacemaker limited series original limited series from DC in the eighties, and oddly enough Avengers, Age of Voltron and X Men First Class, and probably a little bit more. You have been warned. If you haven't watched those things, read those things, you may get spoiled. Hello, my name is jasonce Upchiana. Welcome to x ray Vision The Crooked Podcast, where for twenty five episodes we have doven deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. In today's episode, on previously on some casting News, Paul Dano's full immersion into the meat Suit of the Riddler, of some Thor Love and Thunder Lego news, and some other stuff about Marvel in the Airlock, we will be talking about HBO Max's Peacemaker, the finale of which aired last week. In the high Mind, we are joined by Peacemaker star Chuck Woody Woujie, who plays Mern on Peacemaker and is a wonderful human being, and we had a great conversation underd out. A listener tells us why we should care about the legend of Vox Makina on Amazon and in the endgame. Who is our favorite villain turned hero and joining me today to talk about everything is the brilliant, the talented, the hilarious, the only one who could be here today for the twenty fifth episode of X ray Vision. It is a great Rosie night, Rosie. How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be here. Happy twenty fifth episode.
Speaker 1: We made a quarter century of x ray Vision. Wow, spanning the generation. We've done it, folks. Okay, let's get to the news. First. Up, some casting news for Craven, the Sony Pictures Spider Man Universe property. We already know that Aaron Taylor Johnson, the very handsome Aaron Taylor Johnson from kick Ass and other fame, is the titular Craven, the Russian hunting enthusiast who so annoys Spider Man throughout his various comics adventures. He will be joined by Fred Heckinger, who you might remember from White Lotus if you watch White Lotus. He is the younger brother who has to sleep in the closet because his sister and sister's friend find him annoying. He is coming on to play a role that we don't know what the role is yet, but there's a lot of scuttle bout out there that it could be a Chameleon who is of course Craven's brother. Any thoughts of this, Rosie, It is.
Speaker 2: Very out of there. I think the the rumors being that it's Chameleon and specifically the half brother of Craven, which is like a real like nineties thing. I think that's very interesting to me. I love Aaron Taylor Johnson. I think he was wasted. I'm in the MCU, so I'm excited to see him get another chance here. I dream of a world where we see the real Craven costume, like you know, the I hope that we get some fun things like that. I also think it's really interesting. I mean, this is great casting, like Fred is really great, so go for it. But I think it's really interesting that the rumor around Russell Crowe, who was also reportedly cast, is that he's going to be Craven's dad. So I'm interested in this weird like family, interesting legacy kind of villain movie.
Speaker 1: I hope we get the Nick Spencer version of Craven, which is kind of like leans into the humorous side of Craven a little bit more rather than like eighties and nineties, you know, really really super super dark Craven. I will say that I agree with you, Aaron Taylor Johnson. I have always been a big fan, going back to kick Ass. I think that I agree with you. He is wasted, as as Quicksilver the Marvel Universe. But I just want to say this, his death is one hundred percent Hawkeye's fault. One unquestionably million, hundred billion, trillion percent. Hawkeye gave up. If you go back and watch I know, if you go back and watch that scene, Hawkeye grabs the kid and then the gun starts shooting towards him, and then Hawkeye could he could dive out of the way, He could dive left, or he could dive right. Instead, He's like, you know what, I'm gassed out. I'm just going to turn my back and not watch us both get shot. And that necessitated Quicksilver having to come in and save the day, and of course Quicksilver dies, And again I blame Hawkeye for.
Speaker 2: This undred percent. Also, couldn't he have shot fast arrow? Like we know that he's quick. Also, I'm just gonna say it out that this is like to me, this death, especially because this is cool casting, even if it didn't necessarily go the way it is also spoilers for Age of Ultron Lowell. But like, this death to me is up there with unacceptable deaths in a comic book movie. This and Darwin in Fast Darwin Can Die.
Speaker 1: I don't ever want to talk about that again, because that movie. That movie is really good actually, except for killing Darwin in the fashion and again spoiler killing Darwin in the fashion in which he dies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I.
Speaker 1: Don't even want the only black mutant in the fucking movie. It's terrible. Oh, we would not die like that.
Speaker 2: And then also, don't forget about Zoe Kravitz's Angel Salva.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Written out yeah the movie. But yeah, that Darwin can't die. He literally evolves the point of the mutation. And Quicksilver cannot get shot to death because he is quicksilver. He can move.
Speaker 1: Bullet, he can outrun the bullets. Folks het Okay, but yeah, he will be any here.
Speaker 2: This is good casting. And if you saw TenneT and you managed to get through the first half and watch the second half where it kind of changes, he is when I saw him in that movie where he has a brilliant but small role. That's when I realized why they cast him in this, Because if you think about him in Kick Cass or Quicksilver, it doesn't necessarily make sense. But in Tenne, you see him and you're like, oh, that's Craven.
Speaker 1: Next up, Marvel's Horror Verse is beginning to take shape some casting news for the upcoming Blade project. Aaron Pierre from Krypton from Old from Barry jenkins upcoming Lion King prequel, has been cast in an unknown role in Marvel's Blade, starring mar herschel Ali of course as Blade, and also Delroy Lindo. According to Deadline, role is said to be quote one of the more highly coveted parts in Hollywood since Basaanterarique was tapped as director last fall. Rosie, who do you think this means? Who does this mean?
Speaker 2: This is just such a good I have to say, right, so often when we get these castings where like, oh, of course we don't know who it is. They don't want to really but like reveal it. But this is so well done that they snuck this little line where they're like, it's one of the most, so we know realistically, this is my read. It's not somebody who we know from Blade because in the Blade comics there are not that many famous characters right aside, and because Aaron Pierre is a guy and he's older. A lot of the rumors about the Blade movie for a long time, whether it was going to be about Blade's daughter, which was based on a comic that never came out. That doesn't seem to be the case. I think it has to be a character who's going to be in multiple MCU things.
Speaker 1: Which is why they say saw it after.
Speaker 2: People want to be in the MCU. You want the consistency of work, the money, the the prestige, the platform. So I think this is my guess. Because Apia has every powerful eyebrows, I think he's going to be Dracula.
Speaker 1: This is amazing. I mean it's a great pick, of course, probably the most classic Blade villain. For those of you who have who are up on Blade's comics canon, that would definitely mean he would be around for a while. I love it. That's a good one, man, Geez, I was thinking something, I don't know, something much more low level, like Vampire X or something like that. But I guess that's I wonder if Vampire X is too close to Blade, Like if that's too much, Like so Vampire X is an ultimate Marvel vampire character, extremely well trained like Daredevil level fighting, a martial arts ability, and can really go toe to toe with Blade in that regard, but that's not I do like I like Dracula better. I wonder I like your pick better. I think Dracula is a great pick.
Speaker 2: I think it's really fun and I think like it's exciting because it's like, is the reason that this casting was announced now because he's going to be in Moonnight before we see him in Blade? Is he Could it potentially be that he's going to be in that Halloween special that we all are pretty sure is a were Wolf by Night kind of secret back door something that we talked about in pre pro is Like, could it be that they were potentially casting a character from one of the Blade movies who they're going to like recast, which I do.
Speaker 1: Also think is Deacon Frost. Deacon Frost. Deacon Frost would be the definite pick in that regard. I do wonder because this really runs up against Kevin Faigy's stated philosophically of never really rebooting something. So I do wonder how Deacon Frost of course is dead per the Blade movies, so I do wonder he's a vampire also, so it wouldn't be that hard to be like he came.
Speaker 2: Back the Ultimate get Out of Blade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever the case, I'm really excited to see who he's playing, and I can't wait for the Blade movie. I'm really really I mean, this is like a whole another paradigm shift for the MCU, a real, real opening of like we've seen Spy Marvel, right, We've seen Cosmic Marvel, We've seen Superhero Marvel, We've seen street level Marvel on Netflix and other places, and this will be our first real fora other than Doctor Stranger in the multiverse Honist, which will give us hints of it real. Blade will be our real fora into horror Marvel. Very very exciting Batman news. Batman of Course. The Batman, directed by Matt Reeves, is scheduled to come out on March fourth. Get your tickets now if you can. Paul Dano, who is playing the Riddler, was quoted recently saying that he got so deep into the Riddler that he just basically couldn't get those Z's quote, there were some nights around that I probably didn't sleep as well as I would have wanted to, just because it was a little hard to come down from this character. It takes a lot of energy to get there, and so you almost have to sustain it once you're there, because going up and down is kind of hard. He continues another quote about being wrapped in plastic wrap for a scene in the movie. I almost couldn't sleep because I was scared of what was happening to my head. It was like compressed from the sweat and the heat of lack of oxygen. It was a crazy feeling. All of which is to say, there will be a lot more X ray vision coverage of The Batman as we near The Batman, which is very exciting. But Paul Danel, please take care of yourself anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is like the Batman movie tradition, right, Like you have to if you're playing the villain, you have to tell a story. And it's really funny because, like I'm very intrigued by Matt Reeves take. I think that this grounded idea of a Zodiac inspired riddler is really interesting, and this leads into that, but it always reminds me of this tweet that I saw right by this when they first announced the Paul Dano casting, there was a tweet by this guy, Casey Lawrence. He said he ain't even in costume and look like someone that tell Hella riddles for no re And I just think all the time about that, where I'm like, you cost the guy who legitimately just looks like he would tell riddles and you cover his face like yeah, but no, I think it sounds good and scary and I'm into it.
Speaker 1: I'm into it as well. I will just add that during the production and filming of nineteen eighty nine's The Batman Movie, Jack Nicholson had it written into his contract that he wouldn't have to be on set during days that the Lakers were playing. So there's powerful two different approaches, two different approaches acting, and you can get however you get there as long as you arrive is absolutely valid. And we wish Paul Dano the best and hope he's getting some sleep now. Finally, our continuing coverage of Legos potentially potentially spoiling movies spoiler sports, spoiler alert, potentially some Lego news about four, Love and Thunder. A Lego set titled The Goat Boat.
Speaker 2: Incredible has been has been spotted.
Speaker 1: It is a Viking boat pulled by two goats and includes mini figurines of Thor and Mighty Thor, King Valkyrie, Corg, and Gore. This is uh and we've get here a confirmation that Mighty Thor played by Jane Foster and King Valkyrie titles will be featured in this film. We get one of our first looks at Gore and the Necrosord. The Necro Sword, of course, being forged from the same symbiote material as the original symbiote that would become Venom, would become Cartage, would become a whole suite of symbiote creatures. Now as Chris our producer Chris super producer Chris raised in pre pro Lego has been known to throw a few headfakes and pump fakes into the mix to try and throw people off. They really sets in the past that don't correspond to anything from the movies. They are occasionally using the verbiage inspired by to denote that it's not direct from the movie. But any thoughts on this listen, We've been waiting for the goat. Yeah you need the goats to be in a Thorn movie, shouts to my two Snatcher people out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have always wanted the goats. They're needed. I think this is a definitively ninety nine percent likely to be inspired by Slash in the movie movie relevant. I mean one the goat boat that sounds like Tiger. Why TZ made it up? In no way, no way, Tiger did not make that up. That's hilarious. Also, it was very telling. So this got announced on like a I think, like an ABC Good Morning Show and uh and the way that they posed it. They hid Gore and Cork, but it reflected in the bottom of the table, and I think that ended up being why they released it properly. So I think that to me says, you know, we know Gore is in the movie. That's yeah, you know. And I think that it's really cool that we're getting to see the necro sword. I like the way that these toy reveals and Lego stuff kind of bring you back to that kid of comics. So like seeing the neck resort in like Lego is really fun. It's kind of like, you know, thinking of action figures when you're a kid, and that being the first space that you see these things. So I think it looks really fun. I love Tiker's Thor.
Speaker 1: I love Sam.
Speaker 2: We both have talked so much about, you know, the Mighty thorun how much we love Jane Foster thought Natalie Portman, that's brilliant casting. I love King Valkyrie. I love Tessa Thompson like I'm just ready for this weird, delightful movie.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question, coming out of Love and Thunder, does Jane continue as Thor for another movie? Do you see a world in which it splits?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You have Thor maybe in his own stuff, having his own adventures, just like in the comics. No longer the actual god Thor, but he has storm Breaker, and he's going off and having his own adventures finding out who he is. Not the first time that he's been separated from his hammer and comics cannon, but certainly one of the most emotionally evocative, and through that run we get a lot of time with Jane as Thor. There are a lot of reveals in that run about really kind of like quietly revolutionary canon updating reveals about the nature of Mulnir and how it works where Thor gets their powers from. Do you think we'll see Nellie Portman in multiple movies as Thor?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, if you look at what they're building, something that I love to talk about and we talk about on here is the way that they seed in things in the comics to bring into the movies, or the way that they retroactively look back. So if we look we have Sam Wilson as Captain America now. When Sam Wilson was Captain America in the comics when it first really started, Jane Foster was Thor. She was the Mighty Thor, and they were in an Avengers team together, and that team also included some young heroes.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the Avengers as the title, we know it will be what we see. But I do feel like we'll see Mighty Thor in more than one. We're already essentially in the right space for it because Thor as he is now, even though this is not how I would consider him, because I love Thor, but he is essentially the unworthy Thor. You know, he is Thor who can't right he is, And that's where you find Jane also Marvel wants and needs more female heroes. You know, you could even have like an A four style team, like a female We're.
Speaker 1: Heading there, Yeah, I think we head there at some point. We get they teased it in endgame, right, you get where he had the team up moment. You know she's not alone, she has help. Excuse me is the line? Yeah, but I think we I think we're heading there, right because we already have She Hulk now exactly get there?
Speaker 2: And I think it's like they're they're they're reimagining what it looks like. So like I think that if we got it, it will be like She Hulk, you know, but it will probably be Monica Rambo and Miss Marvel and Jane Foster thor. So you have that more diverse idea of like who is a female hero in the MCU. And also the cool thing is we have the TV shows now maybe Mighty Thor j Foster will be in a romantic relationship with Sam Wilson and we'll see that in a secondary series of that show, or we'll see it in the potential Captain America for movie, because that's something from the comics. I think there's so much fun stuff, especially because we know Thor is going to be in a kind of as Guardians of the Galaxy cosmic hero situation, which means mid God aka Earth needs a Thor, needs a hero.
Speaker 1: A new protector. Yes, needs a new hero. So we've already got the celestial sticking out of the Pacific Ocean. For those of you not up on semi recent Marvel comics Cannon, the Avengers move their headquarters into a celestial, which clearly the celestial from the internals will be that. Yes, when do we see that? Because I feel like that's going to be the end of one of these big arcs. Is going to be like the last scene in some movie is going to be Mighty thil Or Jane Foster, Yeah, Monica Rambo, I'm not sure who, Sam Wilson Captain America. All gathering in the celestial for like the first official meeting of like the new Avengers. Yes, do you think that happens like officially? And when do you think we see it?
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna happen. If it happens, and it seems realistic because why else would they have that super sick like celestial coming out of the ocean. It looks like.
Speaker 1: About that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think realistically that is going to be something that probably happens around the time when whatever the judgment that if you haven't seen The Eternals, The Eternals ends with Circe being judged by Arisham, a celestial who's basically like, you saved these humans, what was the point? Are they worth it?
Speaker 3: You're going to be judged?
Speaker 2: You know. Eternal's divisive movie. But depending on which way the MCU decides to go, there's lots of different ways. It could be eternal centric, but it could also be a Galactus esque introduction. It could be something to do with the Silver Surfer, it could be a different aspect of cosmic heroics. And we know that the Eternals are out there, Theena, you know, just Meut with star Fox, all these different people. So I think at some point, basically, whether or not the Eternals are involved, it will be a response to another celestial or cosmic threat and they'll be like, well, guess what, there's a celestial on this Earth that was turned to stone by someone more powerful than a celestial So that's probably a safe place to just hang out.
Speaker 1: One more question before we move on to the airlock and our discussion of Peacemaker. Okay, we've done Civil War, right, We're gonna do house of them in some form of fashion. Right, they're coming. We haven't seen siege though, Asgard is on Earth, right, so maybe that can happen work. But what gets us to siege is the fallout from Civil War and other superhero calamities is the Dark Reign when Norman Osbourne and a coterie of similarly minded supercriminals and various other B and C and D and E list super criminals rise to take control of the you know, world security apparatus because basically world governments are like, you know what, the superheroes are fucking up all the time. Norman Osborne made a good pitch, let's let him run it. It wasn't an event, so to speak. It was kind of just like an all around paradigm shift all the way through the Marvel Universe of every book. But man, there was some good stuff to come out of that.
Speaker 2: I think we're on the way.
Speaker 1: And we've got the Thunderbolts coming now, right, I wonder do we go to a place where there's a complete paradigm shift where we're you know, we've already kind of saw it with Thunderbolt Ross and various people saying we need to legislate against enhanced persons. Does it eventually flip where Thunderbolt Ross and others are like, we have to actually crack down. Let's give control to couldn't be Norman Osborne unless they got him as a variant from some other place, but some other person like that, and let's really let's do Dark Ring. Do you think we see it?
Speaker 2: I think we're going to get a version of it. I think we might already be building if you think about another like key thing from Dark Rain is Lady Loki, who you know we just got, and also as well, I think we're kind of already on our way to some kind of Thunderbolts Dark Rain esque situation. For all we know a Norman Osborne as he exists, either you know, we have a multiverse now would be easy. People love Willem Dafoe, but like I love Willem Dafoe, but like, it would be really easy to have a puppet master pulling the strings of this US agent, you know, kind of new version of whatever the Dark Avengers we know abominations being trained by the sort of the new source or supreme woe. So I think that we're very, very close. And I also think this links back to one of our big conversation points, how do you introduce the X Men when people with powers are not being oppressed? If you set up a Dark Rain situation where people with powers who are in quotes good are being legislated against and it becomes this kind of one percent evil corporation, then you immediately have a situation where mutants and heroes would have to come together to fight against this kind of bigger threat. And I think that that, in some way, shape or form is going to be really relevant, especially because a lot of times when I write about this stuff or we're researching stuff, you go back to Dark Rain a lot that eral it's just like, oh, where did this character come from? Oh it was Dark Rain? Where did this think? Oh? Oh it's Dark Rain? And we know that the next big official which is so great actually because I have a lot of thoughts about how this links into Peacemaker, but like the next big thing, that event comic adaptation that we know is happening. We've got Secret Invasion, you know, as well as Armor Wars, which I'm stoked for because I love already, but like Secret Invasion that is confirmed, and again that kind of brings in this idea of the distrust of superheroes. Who is really a superhero?
Speaker 1: Right? In the comics. In the comics, Secret Invasion led directly into Dark Rain because the fallout from that was people were just like, so you're telling me that for an unknown amount of time, like several high ranking government officials as well as superheroes were actually aliens like working against justice, peace and security, Like what the what the hell is this? Like, what are we going to do about this? So and that caused a significant erosion of trust, and then of course you had to have Norman Osborne and a bunch of dark Illuminati figures get together and make a plan very very casually, but it feels like we're gonna go there. I do wonder if so we're doing the multiverse right now, this is the phase we're in. I wonder if once we're through Quantumania, right, if they will close the door, so to speak, on this particular chapter of multiverse stuff, like whether it's incursion or whatever device they use to kind of like close the door on that. If we then move to a more grounded Okay, let's let the bad guys run it, because when we let the good guys run it, basically all we get are destroyed cities, alien invasions, and et cetera.
Speaker 2: And I think it leads into something. I think that specific conversation is, like so much of what we talk about and what makes this stuff special to us is that it's this two way conversation between the people who make these stories and the people who read them, and that question of like the civil war question, the legislation question, like who gave these people the right to go and blow things up? And who chose them to be the protectors. We're not talking about Peter Parker, the friendly neighborhood spider man stopped like rescuing a cat and stopping people from getting mugged, and even then like that's its whole own sociopolitical conversation. But like we're talking about a teenager with weld ending nuclear weapons. We're talking about Scarlet Witch, you know, accidentally blowing up this building in Lagos. Like this is this stuff that people get excited brillionaire to talk about.
Speaker 1: A trillionaire is a trillionaire inventors like you know, various inventions getting out after the whild Yeah, this is all going to have an effect at some point, and we've already got damage control. We know what exists in the universe. It feels like at some point we're gonna get that reaction. I'm excited to see that. Okay, this has been really fun. I can't wait to talk more about this stuff. But first, let's go to the airlock and talk about Peacemaker. All right, We're stepping out of the airlock and into Evergreen, Washington, home of HBO Max's series Dear.
Speaker 4: They really want to take.
Speaker 1: That Peacemaker created by James Gunn eight episodes, which just wrapped up last week. John Cena as Christopher Smith Peacemaker, Daniel Brooks as Leota Adebayo, Freddie Stroma The Wonderful Freddie Stroma slash dick On Tarlie from Game of the Thrones plays vigilante Chuck Wooy Wooji is Clemson Mern. Jennifer Holland is Amelia Harcourts, Steve ag The Wonderful Steve Ag as John Economos and Robert Patrick as august Augie Smith, the White Dragon, leader of the white supremacist faction of the DC universe. Folks. It was a fun season one. Excited for season two. Let's do the Lightning style recap Episode seven, stop dragging my heart around? Are you ready, Orsy, I'm ready, Let's do it. Okay, So the sounds of Motley Cruz nineteen eighty five power Bell It hit Home, Sweet Home. We flash back to Peacemaker's childhood and we see a really, really troubling moment in which Chris and his older brother Keith, you know, they are hanging out listening to heavy metal music. Keith is showing Chris how to do the devil horns, and then they are called outside by their father, Augie. Their father would like his sons to bare knuckle brawl in a not even like in an arena or squared, just literally in a pit, in a hole in the ground. Chris punches his brother Keith. Keith suffers a serious brain injury and dies, and Augie immediately blames Chris for Keith's death. I've been wondering, you know, how they were going to bring in Peacemaker's mental illness. You know, it's funny because we've been talking about like Marvel's foray into a mental illness storyline with Moonnight here is DC getting there first with a character who is right out on Front Street, like very very ill in his debut limited series from the mid eighties. And here is kind of like the origin story of Chris's really extreme trauma right here, we're watching it happen.
Speaker 2: DC getting it here first, I think is really key to talk about with Peacemaker because as we talk more, this is like basically their take on something we're going to see from Marvel, and it's Yes, it's very interesting to see this kind of exploration and look at PTSD in the context of what is otherwise quite an outrageous, like funny crass show.
Speaker 1: We will delve into a conversation about what that exactly is as we get to the end of this recap, when they really start seeding in the stuff that seems directly pulled from the comics that references Peacemaker's state of mind. We go to the present day. Vigilante and Peacemaker are on the run from the cops. Of course, cops have just held a press conference in which they have called for the capture, dead or alive, of Peacemaker. Meanwhile, Judo Master has escaped, which is like barely mentioned. He's just like out of there. There's too much going on. We can't look for Judomaster right now. Judo Master has escaped. He is back on the street. Peacemaker plans to take Vigilante with him to go find the cow, the source of the butterfly's food on Earth, and big spoiler, kill it. That's gonna be the you know, listen, that's the plan to hammer. Everything looks like a nail. Gotta go kill the cow. So they head off with John Ecconomos. Meanwhile, at a Bio is racked by guilt for her role in framing Peacemaker. Harcourt, realizing that Auto Bio planted the diary in Peacemaker's trailer. At Amanda Waller's Behes confronts out of Bio for portraying her teammates. Ads is like, listen, I'm not cut out for this mercenary life. I'm just like a normal person, you know, Like I was running a dog shelter. She doesn't say this now, but she's like that was her life. She you know, lost her job and then her mother, Amanda Waller, came to her and was like, well, you need money, so why don't you do this mern shows up. He knows that out of Bio is Waller's daughter. Harcourt is still amazed at this, and he says, listen, we need to get out of here because the police and the police chief they're all butterflies. They have access to their human bodies memories. Therefore they know where all our locations are. Flash over to Juda Master, what's he doing? He's hanging outside the easyps Mart, where he quickly bushwax two assholes who were making fun of him, and he steals their car. Little note for the for the denizens of any superhero laden reality, if you see someone in costume hanging out somewhere, don't just make fun of them. Like you live in a world in which multiple costumed people beat like people up all the time, So just like, don't fuck around. Why are you doing that? Harcourt calls Chris, but Peacemaker doesn't want to answer because he is too busy sitting hair metal while driving with John and the Vigilande to kill the cow. Meanwhile, Augie, Chris's father, is in his white dragon power suit. He is with his Arian Empire gang. They are homing in on Chris's location because every one of Peacemaker's helmets has a GPS locator in it. They waylay our hero's delivery van and a big fight ensuits with Vigilante unloads his submachine gun into the White Dragon, and then as the coup de grass to finally take out Augie, he throws a grenade midway between himself and the White Dragon. Unfortunately they're standing about nine feet apart, and so Vigilandi, who is in the less the less sturdy suit, takes the absolute worst of the explosion. Chris and John look on in horror they flee the scene. Peacemaker realizes at that moment that his dad can track him through the helmet, and so John Economos has the brilliant idea to tie the helmet to a raccoon and they escape. The Vigilanti, meanwhile, has managed to steal a car from one of the Arian Empire, but he passes out like after driving a quarter of a mile because again his body has been shredded by shrapnel from the grenade they threw four feet away from himself. The Butterflies close in in their cop you know meat suits close in on Hardcourt Mernon out of bio Mirn is killed by goth after revealing his true nature as a butterfly and his name is Ichnoblock is revealed to his fellow alien insects, Goth crushes him to death. Harcourt and out of bio or like hiding, like right there, they're like hiding. They're like hiding literally like around the corner. Nobody sees them. That's fine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They go and comfort for Ichno Block slash meron in his final moments, and just as Harcourt is beginning to grapple to struggle with the challenge that they now face without their leader, Mirn Judo Master shows up to grapple and struggle with them both. He knocks out out of bio. A brutal brawl ensues, which finally ends when out of Bio like stun guns Juda Master for like two straight minutes right in the side. His little body can barely take all that electricity passes. Peacemaker and John find Vigilante passed out on the car. They get in as eagerly pecks it, John Economos's asshole and they escape. Peacemaker realizes that Vigilante has a bag full of elements that he stole from his dad's headquarters, meaning that one hundred percent. His dad knows exactly where there are because of the GPS inside of all of them. They pull over. Peacemaker goes off to throw this bag into a field. Why do you need to throw it into Just leave it at the side of the road and drive away.
Speaker 2: He's a bad decision maker.
Speaker 1: He's not the smartest guy, which is part of the fun with Chris Smith slash the Peacemaker. The Arians find Peacemaker as he's trying to get rid of this bag of helmets. They chase him back to the car proceed to beat his ass as Eagleist flying around trying Eaglely's very best to dissuade these people from killing his owner. Meanwhile, John crawls like a half mile away. I don't know why the sound from this fight wouldn't reach the part of the forest where Vigilante is peeing against a tree with his butt fully exposed. Here's the thing about peace Regular that I love. Right, you get so much really fun character lore that is now part of the history. Like Vigilante is a real DC character, absolute psychopath. But nowhere in this character's like lore history was it known that he could not urinate if any kind of fact, was touching his buttocks, but here we learned that about him. Meanwhile, White Dragon is smacked eagerly to the concrete. Peacemaker charges at his father and White Dragon unleashes like a unbelievable racist, homophobic, nationalistic and just generally like means screed upon his son. And it's only the quick thinking of Vigilante and John Economos that managed to save Peacemaker's life. Chris then shoots his father in the head after Augie is like, what are you gonna do? Shoot me in the head? He asked for He asked for it, and Chris weeps. Now in the comics spoiler, Peacemaker's dad is already dead has it also was shot in the head, but by his own hand, commits suicide, and Peacemaker's dad is like a flat out like an actual Nazi, like real real life member of the Nazi party in the Waffen ss the whole thing and mold his son to following and his footsteps for various reasons that I'm not gonna spoil because maybe they'll delve into it. That programming was like disrupted, and Peacemaker's role and character arc like as a hero was unbeknownst to him, steered by shadowy forces who were just like trying to keep his like fragile, semi destroyed psyche together. So here we see Chris weep after shooting his father, but then not too soon after, in various other episodes, we see that Aggie continues to appear to Chris. Yes, I think we're gonna get that this it clearly we're gonna delve into this kind of broken psyche of Chris Smith the Peacemaker through this. And I wonder, Rosie, do you think we're gonna learn that Peacemaker's own history with Keith the things that he remembers maybe aren't quite the things that he remembers. Do you think that we're gonna go there?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised because the one thing that I think really stands out, and this could just be James gunns A. He's a very eccentric storyteller. There can be big tone shifts, but I do think something that's very telling about this show, which kind of it swerves between absolutely grounded and brutal, and like the opening this episode with Chris and his brother is like a great example of that. But there's these flashes of something more supernatural, more superheroic. Right, But the one thing that really stands out to me that doesn't really fit into the world and feels purposeful is the fact that Augie is like this inventor genius who has a secret lay.
Speaker 1: Even does that come from caaskforce.
Speaker 2: X don't have a secret lair? Like this guy has a secret lay.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 2: He makes all these different kind of helmets. We get some really funny riffs on all the different kind of helmets, but that feels like it's linked to something bigger or something shadier. Also, like he's an idiot. He's like an ignorant racist. Like I don't believe that he's a tech genius in this right space that James Gunn has created for him. So I think that you could be really right about there being some kind of manipulation that harks a little bit back more to the comics, especially with the ghost stuff, because the notion of Peacemaker being haunted by his father is like very much comics based, even if it's not always as literal as they put it in to the show. As we kind of go forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, we continue Harcourt and ads recover after their scrap with Juda Master, and now we get this really wonderful moment where they the two bond and finally share like things from their life with each other. Ads talks about her previous job managing a dog shelter, talks about her relationship such that it is with her mother, Amanda Waller, the extremely ruthless, loveless Amanda Waller, who apparently wanted her daughter to transition directly from helping animals in need to like active counterintelligence and assassination work, which is like, okay. Ads also not tell this is a notable. Did not tell her mother that Mern was a butterfly, which is important. Harror Court and Ads catch up with Peacemaker, Vigilante and John at the local vets office, where Peacemaker is, of course trying to heal eagerly. Harcourt talks Vigilante out of like executing the veterinary stuff. He really really wants to do it, but Harcourt manages it's really in a hilarious fashion talking out of it.
Speaker 2: But I just want to say, in a perfect character moment that you were talking about. When she convinces him, Vidg is then like, okay, well that's not dark tape them because then it will hurt when they pull it off.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's like the world's purest sociopath and I love him. He is my favorite part of this show. Freddie Stromer is icon. Give him everything.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love him. He is so hilarious. The moment when he's like, okay, but now you're telling them like stuff from my life is he is so okay. So Ads walks back into the VET surgical medical rooms sees Peacemaker praying over Eagley's corpse what can only be described as a very touching scene of your animal lover as I am. Eagerly then rises and he and Peacemaker embrace, and we flash back to that earlier scene from earlier in the season when Peacemaker is telling at a bio about how he hugged Eagerly at one point and out of bio just dismissing it and being like, you're crazy, I don't believe you. At a bio is emotional that this is kind of freaking out, calls Kia, her wife, and suddenly is dedicated to this group of individuals. We see the team now forming. She realizes she has to help kill this cow. So the plan is to hit the cow where it is and the cavern under the barn before the butterflies have a chance to assemble their teleportration equipment and get the cow out to a new location. The team has come together, we could do the hilarious moment we're Vigilante. Hardcourt asks them all if they are in, if they're part of this team that is going to take down the cow, and they're all like, you know, piece workers, like yeah, I'm gonna do it, and then Vigilante is like hashtag me.
Speaker 2: Too, and it's such an honored so choked, and Freddie Stromer is like the only person who can He's he's so good because like he is a sociopath. Vidch is a sociopath, but like throughout the show, he has in the episode before this, he has this incredible moment where he goes into the prison to try and to try and like basically kill Peacemaker's dad and he does this great speech where he asks all these neo Nazis what their favorite contributions like black people have made to culture art and he does this brilliant speech and like throughout this they make him like very likable. So in the end, like when he's the one making that joke. You're like, he's just a pure kid who thinks he's shouting out me too, Like he is that weird, Like this is hilarious, and Freddy Stromer is an icon. I love him.
Speaker 1: So the team heads off and we get a nice character full circle moment as Hardcourt smiles at the heavy metal music that's being blasted around her. And we're on to the finale, episode eight. It's Cower Never in the r V on the way to kill the Cow adds it once again, trying to apologize to Peacemaker for setting him up to be assassinated and take the fall for all the various crimes that had happened throughout the series. Peacemaker responds with a series of fart sounds, which is like various fart sounds lifting the leg, et cetera, like each each kind of like building on the other, until finally Vigilante joins in and Chris is like, duber off it now, it's all now, like you got into it too late. Chris ultimately does not accept the apology. He is still I think, you know, rightfully hurt that out of.
Speaker 2: Crime. I'm like, honestly, I'm like he deserved it. I remember the Suicide Squad. I am Suicide Squad. I saw this guy stop Rick Flagg who was alleged his hair and his teammate did do that. So I think that in a bubble he is right out of Baio like what were you thinking? Yeah, But in the context of the thing, I feel like he should have a little bit more understanding and empathy for someone who might betray a team member, especially when they apologize.
Speaker 1: Great, great, great point. And you know, as Amanda Waller's daughter, you know that it must take a lot for her to apologize. When she's saying it, she really means. The team arrives on the outskirts of the farm at Abaio calls her mom, which is something that she hinted at that she was going to do in the previous episode. Her mom Amanda Waller and is like, hey, can we get an assist from the Justice League? He hook us up here. You have the Justice League out here. We're facing like a full scale alien invasion and a cow of unknown size. We need some help. Unfortunately, Amanda Waller says, there's no time for the Justice League heavy hitters to arrive on the scene. Yes, they have two team members that can travel at superhuman speed, one who can run at mach levin and who can travel through time because you can run so fast. But they won't make it there in time. Sorry, They're just.
Speaker 2: Not gonna make it.
Speaker 1: And they're on the clock, of course, because the butterflies are as we speak, working to teleport the cow out of the barn. At a Bio conveys a message from her mom to Harcourt that Harcourt is now in charge. The butterflies are getting ready to teleport the cow out of here. In moments, the cow will be in a different location. Harcourt and Peacemaker scout the barn. Meanwhile, Peacemaker is explaining all his various helmets, all the cool things that the helmets that his dad made him, his White supremacists father made him, and all the things they can do underwater breathing. Maybe not super useful right now, but it's cool. Sonic boom will be useful very soon. Human torpedo will be useful very soon, and more now. Right after this, a very funny scene at of Bio accidentally activates the anti gravity helmet, which goes flying off into the air. And now our heroes need a new way to get the sonic boom helmet to the barn. Somehow Green Arrow's name comes up, and the Peacemaker is like as he has done in hilarious fashion all throughout the series, drops some probably not correct like information slash rumors about the various superpowered individuals and super costumed individuals in the DC universe, and he lets everybody know that Green Arrow goes to Berny conventions and wears a costume with a four inch wide butthole which is not as Vigilante asks used for breathing, and it's probably not true, but John.
Speaker 2: Economus does say. He says it's the one thing that he does think is true, So who knows.
Speaker 4: Steven Amel had some thoughts about this online this week.
Speaker 1: So who knows. Never mind, because they can use Eagerly to take the helmet over. So a Peacemaker tells Eagly what to do. Eaglely overcomes its dislike of Harcourt, picks up the helmet, flies it over to the barn. Is going to be amazing, then flies over the woods and drops the helmet somewhere over the trees. Okay, so what are we gonna do? The teleportationquipment is almost ready to go. We gotta speed this up, folks. Our heroes pair up to look for the helmet Vigan, Economos, Harcourt, and out of bio Peacemaker and his dad. Wait what his dad? Sorry, this is a fossilarm Augie is only there as a very very realistic hallucination, a manifestation of Chris's extreme trauma. So don't worry. Everything is fine and chill Peacemaker is just having extremely realistic hallucinations of his white supremacist father. This definitely will not play into season two of The Peacemaker, don't worry about it. Meanwhile, Harcourt has just wandered up and has witnessed Peacemaker shooting a poisoned dart into a tree while screaming at his dad. Are we troubled by this? We don't have time to be troubled by this, because Harcourt finds the helmet buried under some leaves. Chris takes out a butterfly sheriff steals his uniform. We flash forward a few hours. They convince Economos to put on the butterfly sheriff uniform, despite the fact that it was very recently covered in shit, and Economist goes in, carrying the helmet in a toolbox. On the way into the barn, officer fitz Gibbon, of course, who is one of the butterflies, stops h questions him briefly, but then allows Economists to continue in, at which point John gets a look at the cow and it is fucking horrifying, rosy.
Speaker 2: It's huge, it's massive, It's a giant, monstrous kind of caterpillar esque thing. But the name cow does it very specific and I will get into why as we go forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm very excited to very excited to hear about this. John flips out about this. I mean he has just seen like a animal alien that is the size of like a whole section of an airport, that has like I don't know eight or ten nipples that are continuously being milked for its delicious amber fluid. John is like, I'm out of here. He flips out, He's leaving, and on his way out, Fitzgibbon stops him again, and in his response to fitzgibbons questions about why his beard looks so weird, John, in a wonderful character full circle moment, very emotionally admits that, yes, as Peacemaker has inferred all season, he does die his beard, and he does so because he just feels out of place, feels out of place in the world. He feels maybe not good enough. He feels he's not young enough, he feels that he's not in shape enough, and he wants to feel like a different person, and he's the pathetic person. Feels like he's a pathetic person, and that's why he dies his beard. And the entire team hears this exchange over the radio. Fitzgibbon is like, fine, I buy this, you can go away. But then another of the butterflies finds the helmet that John left in the barn, and they chase John, and all hell breaks loose and here we go, We're going to get the big fight. At a bio triggers the helmet, which starts to cave the barn in on the cow. The big fight is now fully engage. Peacemaker, Harcourt and Vigilante run to the barn. They're shooting, punching, hacking their way through the various butterflies. Chris sees GoF Duck into a stairway, heading underground. He chases after a Meanwhile, Vigilante and Hardcourt shot like multiple times out in the battle in front of the barn. They fall to the ground with serious wounds. But before a butterfly can fully take over Hardcore's body, it is climbing into her mouth. At a Bio, showing that maybe her mom, Amanda Waller, knew what she was doing. Maybe maybe at a Bio was wasting her talents as the lowly And it's a noble calling, so I don't mean to say lowly, but as a mere manager of a dog shelter. Because at a Bayou goes full John Wick on these butterflies like double guns John Wu style, kicking, punching, shooting, fighting her way to her friend Harcourt, who she saves, pulling the butterfly out of her mouth moments before it can burrow all the way in. At A Bio, now wearing the human Torpedo helmet, follows the stairway down. As this is happening, Peacemaker has managed to extract himself from the rubble, is immediately attacked by golf. At A Bio appears, thinking I'm going to save my friend activate Humor Torpedo. She goes cannonballing into a wall and is knocked out koted. Golf is then like, you know what, we need a third hand here, and also I need to do an evil villain monologue because that's what happens in these stories. So here's the deal. Okay, it's me and Walker and we need a third set of hands to throw that lever over there so we can teleport this cow out of here. And here's the pitch. Okay. Actually, your planet is on the road to ruin. It's on the road to destruction. Same thing happened on our planet. Okay, you politicians are not serving the people. The people are divided, environmental collapse, military incursions, all of these things are happening just in the exact same way that happened on our planet. So let us invade. It's actually a good thing because we are going to use our wisdom and our experience to help the human race not fall into the trap that we fell into. What do you think? And peacemakers like activate human torpedo, sending at a baio, flying into the cow's belly, killing it in absolutely fucking disgusting fashion. He then kills Walker and kills Gough. Victory. We have saved the day. Our team is walking away from the ruins of the barn which hide below it the massive, disgusting corpse of the cow. Chris is carrying the wounded Harcourt in his arms, and just as they are walking off, who should arrive but the Justice League minus Batman and Cyborg, who again, somehow, despite the fact that they have two speedsters in the group. I'm calling Superman a speedster. He can go at superhuman speeds. Yeah, they have arrived too late. Somehow. Peacemaker gives some hey, I know you fucked a fish humor to Aquaman, who, believe me, has heard it many, many, many many times before. This old hat for Ackman has been dealing with this. Later, at the hospital, Chris and out of Bio makeup, Peacemaker is a little bit worried that per the Butterfly pitch from GoF that maybe he's just doomed the world to the fate of the butterfly planet. He's unsure about it. Out of Bio gets to address the media. She clears Peacemaker's name and reveals that he and VIGILANCEI were working under a program that was greenlit by Task Force X, a Task Force X affiliated program it, thus revealing publicly the existence of Task Force X, run out of the Bell Reef Prison by her mother, Amanda Waller, and which is a program that uses superpowered criminals to send on suicide missions to basically save the world over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know them as Suicide Squad.
Speaker 1: You know them as Suicide Squad. Whiller watches from Belle Reeve and she is pissed. We get a series of pops. Now as we head out of the show, Chris is allowed to see Harcourt, who's recovering from surgery. A nice warm moment there. At Obayo returns to her wife Ta Kia. Wonderful moment there. John Economos limps back to Belle Reeve and Taskforce ex his previous job. I'm glad that he still has a job.
Speaker 2: Somehow, somehow still has a.
Speaker 1: Job, bringing with him fond memories and a wonderful picture from the friends he made along the way. In the fight against the butterflies. At the ruins of the Barn, Jo Master shows up eating flaming hot cheetos and he weeps a peacemaker and Vigilante or backs in fact having fun in the forest. They're just like blowing up an oldmobile with an artillery shell for fun Harcourt, we get to watch her learning to walk again, and then later at Peacemaker's RV, a butterfly shows up. Chris feeds it some wonderful amber juice that apparently he had been saving up. Then his dad appears on the and talks to him in a very realistic way, even though we know that this is a hallucination and we are off into season two of The Peacemaker. Whenever that happens, let's talk about it, Rosie. I think, as we talked about previously, it seems like we are heading directly into the real comics lore of the Peacemaker, as this person who is constantly bedeviled by the voice and image of his father, who as he is doing, you know, in the middle of fights in the comics, Peacemaker will hear the voice of his father being like, you need to be more brutal. You're not, You're too weak. Why are you saving lives? You should be exterminating lives. Clearly, we're going to be going to this place. We talked about the parallels with Marvel's Moonnight. How do you feel about this part of the Peacemaker story now clearly going to be part of season two and Christmas story going forward.
Speaker 2: I think it's very interesting because the key that this finale sets up is something that could have been completely gone in a total different direction, because it's really just this episode. So James Gun did an interview where he said, you know, in that moment when Chris decides to kill the butterflies and destroy the cow, he makes the worst possible choice for the best reasons. So for the first time, he puts his friends, yeah, and his connections before this idea of peace and doing anything for peace, right, So I think it's really interesting that we have this character who's done the most abhorrent things, who is like the most gnarly war criminal sociopath, but wants to be better, and then you end this season knowing that while he's on that quest for a better life, maybe some kind of absolution or just caring about people, for the first time, he's going to be haunted by this kind of dark passenger Dad, who is going to be a counterpoint to that. And I think that goes intertwining kind of aspects of Chris are going to be like the major point and kind of conflict of season two as he tries to do bat Yeah.
Speaker 1: Guns told Deadline about season two of Peacemaker, I can't say anything. It is connected to these universe. I don't think it will be the same genre as Peacemaker. It will be as much comedy as Peacemaker, but it will be in the same universe. I think all of that suggests that they probably will lean into that kind of fractured psyche. The white supremacist voice that Chris is trying to escape is going to continue to be a force in his life. We should add that. Uh that over the Green Arrow tweet, Steven Emmel shot back on Twitter. He said, of that moment, haven't seen it of the show, haven't seen it too busy showing scene of what professional wrestling should actually look like on TV. I think this was actually a joke. I don't think he's like actually mad. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's like I think it's like, it's it's it's uh, it's k fab right, it's it's it's it's you do the you do the little be so something Okay, so's something I want to talk about, right, So we talked. You talked about the connection between like this show delving into mental health and and PTSD. And I wouldn't necessarily say that this is like that's like the central thread, but I would say it's something that James Gunn is clearly really interested in. I mean, to me, that's one of the most powerful things about Suicide Squad is looking at how all these people have been shaped by the violence that they had to do. You know, Idris Elba, his character has a lot of that Rat Catcher Hers is an opposite version. So James Gunn obviously cares about this, and like you said, it preempts the version that we're going to see of that in Moonnight. We already saw it in Legion, the Fox show kind of loosely based on the X Men character.
Speaker 1: Charles and and loved and ignored some.
Speaker 2: And that definitely it was very gray area of what that what the exploration was, and.
Speaker 1: What the character was saying.
Speaker 2: But there's something else that James Gunn did in this show that in watching the finale and preparing for this, James Gunn has preempted something else that Marvel is about to do. And I bet that everyone at Disney is absolutely pissed because do you know, what this show is, and I'm gonna blow your mind out. I haven't already thought of this. It's a Secret Invasion show.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The entire show is Secret Invasion. It is about a world and a society that looks like our own that has been taken over by aliens in all different high parts of the government, which in Secret Invasion is the Scrolls, and it is about how they had to leave their planet because of kind of cosmic immigration, planetary destruction, all the same things as The Butterflies and this show. And not only that. The reason that I know that James Gunn is either the world's most hilarious troll and I respect her, or he is very subconsciously. I know that he is subconsciously influenced by every kind of comic because the Suicide Squad, there is an argument that that isn't every character in that is analogous to a character in The Avengers, So here is obviously influenced. But the thing that makes me think this is specific is that there is a very specific part of Secret Invasion more that ties into the Scrolls, which is the idea that in the very first appearance of the Scrolls, some of them get stuck as cows and is the Scroll Kill Crew comic, which I feel like James Dun's probably a huge fan of. There is a storyline about the cows alien meat becoming a part of the the kind of the wider American food stuff. Yeah, this whole thing, it's just secret invasion.
Speaker 1: And I bet Disney is like so mad that Jay's calling it the cow is amazing. Thank you for explaining it. Here's my counterpoint, are is there probably people that are annoyed? I think probably so. On the other hand, DC and Marble, these two companies have been so interlinked, like, yes, they are competitors, but they are constantly, I mean constantly ripping off each other, taking each other's characters and putting their own spins on it, taking each other's storylines and putting their own spins on it. They are doing this constantly, whether it's you go back to you know, Fanos and Dark Soidles like their classic like you could go to Moonnight and Batman, like there's a million of these, and so I think viewing it from that perspective, and of course, like whether it's you know, George Perez or Brian Michael Bendis, there's been any number of creators who have gone between both companies and have had wonderful, happy creative careers at both companies and have no problem whatsoever going from DC to Marvel, DC to marveling back. So I think viewed it from this perspective, this is like another one of.
Speaker 4: Those things, Yeah, like where you know, where a creator has moved from one side of the street to the other and has included some sly reference as like how many Superman jokes are in moraal Comics.
Speaker 1: It's how many Captain America jokes are in DC. It happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, it's so like I love that angle actually because you know what else, it's it's that conversation we're always talking about. Marvel and DC are in conversation with each other. Right in Eternals they mentioned Batman and Superman for the first time. Like this conversation is becoming more of a two way street. And I actually really kind of love your angle on it too, because their imaginary does somebody at Corporate Disney not like this, perhaps, But the real truth is this once again actually does something truly brilliant that a lot of these stories rely on, just like Marvel introducing the multiverse, people need to have an understanding and a cultural recognition of what that means. And DC's TV shows had been doing multiverse for ten years, so if people kind of had an idea, oh, something that exists in the DC Animated universe can also exist on the CW, Like that's a multiverse. So in a way, this actually just because it's not going to be anything like Secret Invasion. This is James Gun's own vision, but the analog of the story is there. And I think that in a way, like I love your perspective, because what this really does is it just gets people familiar with this kind of storytelling. It gets people familiar with these wider, broader ideas that can then be reimagined because like, yeah, it's invasion of the body snatches. It's not like this was some incredibly.
Speaker 1: Unique No one's saying like it's the thing, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: The thing exactly. It's the paranoia, who can we trust? It's they live? You know, there's some elusions of this, and I kind of love that's so close to Secret Invasion. We've gotten to see James Gunn's take on this kind of classic sci fi. But in this superhero trappings and with these kind of things that seem like nods like the cow, it really makes it fun to watch.
Speaker 1: This kind of stuff is super fun. I really had a great time. Another question, so we mentioned in a previous conversation brief conversation we had about the Peacemaker that me I think the thing that would define like how important Peacemaker was was going to be like how does it tie in? Right, That's what it's all about now, is how does this tie into the broader universe? And with that cameo at the end of the finale, we got our answer. Right, the Justice League came. They came at the behest of Amanda Waller, whose daughter was you know, working with Peacemakers, so we know that this is all taking place in the universe. Notably, Cyborg and Batman Bruce Wayne were not there. What do you think they were doing because they could have done it right like they I mean they you know, they have Superman and Wonder Woman there, but just like in shadow so you don't really see their faces. We got the full moa moa action with Aquaman. We got to see Barry Allen full face, and we know that the actor was there, but they clearly could have done like a Batman in Shadow, Cyborg and Shadow if they wanted to. Where do you think they are and what are they doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm most intrigued by this, especially because of James's quote that you mentioned earlier, where he's like, there are reasons for it, but I'm unsure if I can actually say what they are that to me says it's some kind of corporate planning. But what I'm really interested in is like, so we see Momoa as Aquaman, who I love. That's like, I love Aquaman, am Aquaman, stand, Barry Alan Ezramila, Like, so this is that DCEU world, right, So I think to me, if I was gonna creatively guess, I would say, like, it's a struggle to decide which Batman would be there. And in Batman with Superman, he has a very archetypical shadow. It's just a it's a flying even though I think his proportions were a bit off. I think he's a bit chunkier but sure, but like Batman people Alex, but like Batman for example, I feel like if he had been there and he'd had the little short ears, you'd be like, oh, that's Ben Affleck Batman, but Robert Pins and Batman, do we know if he's in that same world, we don't like, is that going to still be that kind of Earth two thing that Warner Brothers had kind of mentioned, Like, so, I think the problem is the bat suit is so iconic that by putting any Batman there, you like make a statement, right, And I kind of I can't even a silhouette. I kind of like the idea narratively that like Batman and Cyborg would be on a mission together, you know, doing if we're talking narratively, Like, I really love that idea that that could kind of be the explanation, like they were doing something that was more important. You know, this is not the first alien invasion for that Justice League, right is Like, so you send your like it's kind of cruel as well, But I love it because, like I'm a big Aquaman fan, and but the Flash and that Acuaman are not like the A list DC heroes, So I kind of love that. I like this, Superman and wonder Woman obviously that's part of the trinity, but I kind of love that the ones we see are like the the B Team.
Speaker 1: I like that too. When do you think we'll get Green Lantern back in the mix? Like the movie was bad? Okay, yeah, we know, but that's like a huge part of the OG, like the real like iconic Justice League lineup.
Speaker 2: It's the biggest question. So they're doing like a Green Lantern's show, right, and we know that the way that the DC stuff has been is you can have the show that exists alongside a movie version. I think whenever we get it, I don't think it will be how Jordan. I think it's probably gonna be John Stewart.
Speaker 1: John Stewart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just feel like it has to be soon.
Speaker 1: That never fails to trip me up, that that it's that it's the name is John Stewart. In most ways, like when John Stewart first arrived on the scene, I was like, oh, it's Green Lantern and then when and then after a while it slipped where oh the comedian John Stewart. Yeah, Now both times they were just so like mashed together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be something like that. I think we potentially could see like a Jessica Cruz, like a newer, more diverse kind of I would love attitude wise, like I mean, I love Yeah, I want to see John Stewart there, especially a version of him where he's like, you know, the architect or something like something a bit more about the blueprints. I think something that's really exciting about Green Lanton. We rarely get to see them imagine anything other than like a giant fist or a gun. So I would love to see the reality of the Green Lantern power and the power of will Walk to life more visually. But I would also like to see Guy Gardner Green Lantern like. I just think he's got such a good attitude and I believe that he might be one of the leads of the Green Lantern Show, which makes me think that John Stewart as the movie Green Lanton would make the most sense. Question.
Speaker 1: Do you think that I find this extremely doubtful, but I'm just gonna put it out there. Do you think that there's gonna be some sort of the Batman Matt reeves is the Batman reason for Batman not being there? And now, originally I will say that we were absolutely convinced that there would be some sort of like hawkeyed tie in to uh spider Man to Spider Man, and it didn't happen, and that one seems like a really easy one to do. So I just don't see this happening, but you gotta put it out there reasonable. The Batman is coming out soon, It's possible.
Speaker 2: And the truth is, I think that the irony is while there might not be a direct narrative easter egg though, which we kind of thought there would be with Hawkaye and Spider Man, what they did with hawkay and Spider Man is they let us like put it together like, oh, well, spider Man, you know, he was probably there on this day because the tree was still standing in Rockefeller Center. So I think like when we see the Batman will probably be like, oh well, narratively, he probably couldn't have been there. He was busy. But also I think corporately that's not a word. Yeah, you know, I think in a corporate sense, I actually think that is the spot on thing. I think DC is about to commit to a brand new iteration of Batman that we are unsure of how connected it will be or how standalone it will be. And I think that in that way, to have this episode coming out like a couple of weeks before Batman having Batman in any way is a statement, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's run down some some of the upcoming DCEU projects because it's just fun. So the Batman of course, March fourth, DC League of super Pets May twentieth. You mentioned before that you know, Marvel is probably mad that Supervisions Petavengers. How did they do that? Marvel has been beaten to the punch on Petavengers by DC's League of Superpets Black Adam, which looks very interesting. July twenty nine. Then the long awaited and I mean long awaited flash movie November fourth, File by Acuaman and Lost Kingdom. I'm super excited about continuing Jason Moulmolvers Batgirl twenty twenty two Sandman TV series, which is not going to be connected to anything, but I am very good. Yeah, very very excited that it's coming. But it is not going to benected to any of this.
Speaker 2: But I am very happy that we have reached the place as.
Speaker 1: A pop called Sandman era, the Samon era can happen.
Speaker 2: And also that people understand that Vertigo is owned by DC. This is technically a DC Comics project. Those are conversations that ten years ago people will be like, oh, no, Vitigo, that's indie comics. That's create your own. I mean some Vitgo comics are sam Man is not. But but yeah, I love that this is included in there. But alas that is sadly not gonna we are not going to see death like popping up in Batgirl, though I would love, like not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: Salmon is really you know, whenever you would see a graphic novel on the shelf of someone who doesn't read comics at least when I was like in college and when I was a younger person, it was one of three comics. It was Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Yeah, and Sandman. Those were the three. So this is a big moment. This is a really this is an iconic, iconic graphic novel, iconic comics series about to hit the screen. Okay, Harley Quinn season three, the extremely If you haven't watched Harley Quinn season one and two, whoa, it's so funny. Fix it, fix it because it's so so so funny. Watch it season three come in twenty twenty two. Titans season four. I haven't watched any Titans, but I need to watch it. Titans teen. Titans is like, I actually think, theoretically my first comic book because we got a say noted drugs comic like in elementary school, and it was The Teen Titans.
Speaker 2: Oh way, dude, that I will say Titans. Never saw it gonna get I never would have guessed it was gonna get four seasons. I remember being at San Diego Comic com when the fuck Batman trailer dropped and ever it was like, what the heck? But when I first saw that pilot, I was like, this should be a HBO Max show. It looks like HBO Max. There's a Game of Thrones reference and lo and behold. I mean at the time I said HBO because I didn't know HBO Max would exist. But I feel like it has found its place on that I love any teen team, and while we do not have an Exavier's School for Gifted Youngster show, I continue to watch Titans. It is also good as a kind of potted history of famous Batman back family kind of stories in a way that like X Men ninety two, one of the reasons I think people love it so much is you get to see all these different stories. You know, Phoenix Saga, right, the Day's a future past.
Speaker 1: It's like an anthology series of like the greatest hits of the Titans.
Speaker 2: Each season has elements of that, specifically the last season, which is very heavily based on death in the Family, Jason Todd's stuff. So I think if you like Batman and you want to explore it and you don't mind it being a little bit edgy, definitely worth a try.
Speaker 1: Doom Patrol season four. There's another series that I did not think would get for season six, Pennyworth season three and twenty twenty two Young Justice YEP season four, the Aeroverse TV series, which is I always like Green Arrow. Let me just put out there. I like Green Arrow. He cares about social justice, he puts his money where his mouth is, and I've always been a fan of the comics Green Arrow, Shazam, Fury the Gods, and second twenty twenty three Blue Beetle, which is going to be super fun for the fans of Blue Beetle, And then Peacemaker season two likely twenty twenty three, oh of course, and then Wonder Woman three, which is somewhere in development who knows where. Lots of stuff to think about. How in the future do you think Peacemaker could possibly tie back to Justice? We now have seen Justice League in a Peacemaker a show. I wonder if we get any mentions in upcoming DCEU movies of like whether it's Doom, Patrol, Titans, whatever, just like a mention like, Oh, there's this team working over here. Oh there's that guy with the bow and arrow over at Star City.
Speaker 2: I think that I've just had a brain wave inspired by our convo. I think that this may be the HBO Max superhero shows and movies as we are about to see them. Batgirl, you mentioned Blue Beetle. HBO James Gunn has talked about the possibility of potential are the Suicide Squad spinoff shows, which I would love and seems very light in the context of how popular.
Speaker 3: The show was.
Speaker 2: So I think that maybe it's less about whether or not we will see any movies that reference these shows, and more about how these shows will build in elements of what we knew as the DCEU, so like, will this be the place where the Jared Leto Joker exists? Will this be the place where these Justice League Zack Snyder characters continue to be the main line of superheroes. Because Zack Snyder's Justice League was a HBO Max original this show is a HBO Max original. Maybe they're building some kind of HBO Max televisual DC universe that is going to continue that line on while they continue this kind of more autor driven visionary, different kind of film universes. And obviously we know Aquaman is still going to have a movie, so that's somewhere I could imagine him making like a funny joke about Peacemaker or John Cena kind of on the meta meta level, you know, so I could see it. But I actually think we might be seeing a world where the DCEU and the kind of snide of US era stuff continues more in these TV shows than necessarily anywhere. Also, that would that would fit in with there were kind of rumors around the idea that the Batgirl movie would connect to the Flash movie. Yeah, you know so, I think maybe that era and those two heroes, specifically Aquaman and the Flash might be that world connected between the movies and TV that we were waiting for.
Speaker 1: Let's leave this conversation with this. One of the theories about season two would be that bane iconic Batman villain Bain would appear in season two of Theburger Prusberger Your Daughters but James Gunn shot that down brutally, saying, quote, don't you know by now to make really sure of this stuff before posting? This is bullshit. No one knows what's coming but me and even I don't fully know. So there you have it. No Bane in season two of the p R Bersberger or bar.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: Next, let's go to the Hive Mind. Welcome to the Hive Mind, where we dive deep into a topic with the help of a guest. This week, X Ray Vision is please to welcome Chuck Woody Woogy aka Clemson Mern aka Ick No Block from Peacemaker. Chuck, what do you thank you for joining us so much? Congratulations on Peacemaker Season one? Super fun show. How did you get involved in it? What brought you to playing Mern? Rest in peace? Mern? I'll ask you later if if that's to stay, but let's see what brought you to this project.
Speaker 3: Well, it was your standard wake up in the morning, getting on with your damn and an email comes from your agent. And it was soon after COVID, you know, the first round of COVID at ended, so like things were beginning to open up, and it was one of the first things that came my way and it was like three pages of you know, very secretive, you know, not giving anything away, but it was a James Gunn project and all that stuff, and I actually remember reading it. I've told this story a hundred times. Is like, and I just said to my wife, why am I wasting my time? They're gonna cast you know, Lance Reddick. You know what I mean, He's perfect for this. I mean I would cast him, you know. But then I read the material and it was so funny. I mean it was I think the scene I got was the first scene where he comes in and meets Peacemaker his trailer, you know, in episode one, and I'm reading that and I said, to my this is so hilarious. You know what, let's just tape it. I'm not going to get it, but I owe it to this material to give it a go. And we did it. We did one take actually, and sent it out. And as it happens, as I've heard over is that James saw it and was like, who the hell is this guy? I want him? And that's sort of like how it happened. You know.
Speaker 1: As a fan of Angle File television and movies, the thing I love about you know, watching stuff on BBC is just how the range that actors who come up through the UK kind of like acting tree, the range that you all display. You've done everything from Shakespeare to John Wick now Peacemaker. How does how does that affect the way you approach a role, the way you approach Mern having this intense training. I mean you've played You've played Othello on stage.
Speaker 3: I've read yeah, yeah, yeah. Honestly it's all I know. You know, I don't know how to like compare it to someone who doesn't have, you know, the same background as I do. My whole, my whole world of acting has been about building characters from the ground up, you know, from what's on the page in front of you. You talks about my classical background. Yeah, when you're doing Shakespeare or Chekhov or Ibsen and stuff, it's it's on the page. You know, your You're led the writers great writers, And I think James is a phenomenal writer, because the really good writers are very good at directing the actors with what they say, how they say stuff. So I look for clues on the page and I just don't know how else to approach the work. Then the way I would approach. I approached Hamlet, I approached Othello, and I approached man, there's this stuff in front of me. You learn the lines, you get the clues from the writer what you feel, your instincts tell you he wants, and then you the whole process is it getting deeper and settling into you settling and settling, and your imagination goes well, you dream on it, you wake up, you run the lines. I always believe I the first thing I do is learn the lines, because those are where all my clues are in the language. So, going back to what you say about the BBC, yeah, it's we're very lucky in certainly the British system and a lot of European systems, is that when you leave drama school, that's just the beginning. You know, you don't assume you're an actor after drama school. But we have the luck sury of things like where I came up, the roy Shakespeare Company, the National Theater, Bristol, Ulvic, all these places where you can be an apprentice, so you can spend literally ten years learning, growing, growing in that confidence of doing, doing, doing, doing tiny roles and the roles grow and stuff. So we have a whole culture of just being given time and space to grow, you know. And I feel very lucky about that because it builds a confidence in you. Work begets work, and experience grows. Doing all these sort of shows, there were seasons I would have about twenty roles in my head in a season, you know, and each one has to be distinct, you know. So we're steeped in the culture of characterization and building characters and letting it go and going on to the next thing and stuff. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of that, when did you find out that Mern was a butterfly? And did that in any way This is going to sound like a nerdy question, but these are the things I think about. Did that in any way affect your performance? Were you thinking, Okay, I'm block inside, I don't even meet and that's the character that I'm playing, Not like, did it affect the way you approached the role?
Speaker 3: On No, No, I knew about Mern right from the start. It was part of what really attracted me to the role and made it very juicy. Peter Saffren and James called me and told me about this arc that he has. But in all fairness, Jason, I don't believe in playing an arc in life. We don't know what's coming next. We don't know what's next. We just play moment and moment in life. And as an actor, I don't believe believe in drip feeding the audience, condescending actually the audience by doing that. I genuinely believe in this is what the scene is saying. James has written it in a certain way where we have a reveal, So why spoil the surprise as it were? So I'm always interested in playing moment and moments and letting the arc take care of itself. I really feel if there were any clues about who Myrn was, it was in the writing, and I certainly wasn't going to let it be in my performance because if you're a good actor, as in if Mern as a butterfly is a good actor as Mern, he would hide it. He wouldn't be saying, hey, wink wink, am I a butterfly or not? You know, that just isn't real For me. I wanted the audience to have a genuine surprise, and I wanted to let myself have that surprise when it happened.
Speaker 1: You know, also, it was a wonderful surprise. In the Blooper reels, which are wonderful, there's a moment in which johnsena gets you to get you to break and says something like Operation Truck was a success. As an actor who's come up through the stage and you've spoken wonderfully, how you take your cues from the written page? How do you approach improvisation these moments of improvisation. When stuff like that happens on the set.
Speaker 3: Oh, it terrifies the hell out of me. There's nothing that scared to be more than a direct to say and okay, improvise something. James has a habit. Right now, we're shooting Guardians and we'll do a few takes of something. I said, okay, we got a chuck. Now do whatever you want. And I'm like, ha, you know, do something different, do whatever you want. I'm like, what, yeah, no, I Some actors love it. Some actors are natural edit. I don't love improvising. I really like I really like to know what I'm doing and be given it. But in that group, in that setting, I did improvise. We all did, and James encourages it, and it's such a safe atmosphere to do it in and such a fun atmosphere that you're never really gonna fall flat on your face. It's always just gonna Some things are gonna work better than others, but you're never gonna be You're not gonna fall flat on your face because it's encouraged and James likes to let the camera run on and on. But that said, I was the straight man. That mern is is very reflective of who I was amongst that cast, because they're naturals. I mean, John can improvise from now till eternity. Steve ag stand up, I mean, just Hilarius, Danielle, you know. I mean it's so natural to them. I had to play catch up, and often I'd be the kid at the back of the class that reluctantly put up my hand to improvise. I let the experts get on with it. You know.
Speaker 1: We must talk about the opening sequence. How long did it take to to get your part down and at what point did you learn that you would be learning some choreography for the opening credit secrets.
Speaker 3: Well after we started filming, so there was no backing out. It was like a month in or something. Someone just mentioned. Yeah, and so on this day we're shooting the dance sequence. I was like, what what dance sequence? And so that's how we found out. And then we only had the wonderful Carissa. I think I had three rehearsals with her, and so a lot of the work you had to do at home on your own and just drill it and drill it and drill it. So I think from I want to say, we had maybe about five or six weeks between the first rehearsal and when we actually did it. And we worked with her two or three times, and then we were there it was time to shoot it. So I drove my wife crazy practicing at home. I mean she was just like, what are you doing. I was like, I have to get this down. I have to get this down because I don't want to look like a right idiot.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I've never fast forward it. It brings enjoy every single time I watched the show, even when I watch episodes again, you know, for research purposes, I always watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the thing that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely kills me is the complete deadness of everybody's face.
Speaker 3: Was that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand that you are concentrating on the steps, but was that difficult to just not laugh, not smirk, not anything while you're doing There's.
Speaker 3: A funny story. I don't know if Danielle has been on your show told you about it, But on the day we were filming, Danielle hadn't got the memo about the straight face and when she came to do her thing, and she's such a great mover, she was in it. Man, she was beyond saying the shit out of it. And in terms of like Danielle, no, none of that. No, it was it was hard. Of course, you're looking around, looking at bat and people dancing in front of you and all this. It's hard not to want to just grin. Also, the music is just so damn good because of playing it full blast the light. It was like being on an MTV music you know soundstage, you know, in the old days of those music videos, and it was exciting. So yes, it was a challenge not to get carried away. But you know, it's like acting a role. The role we were given that day. The direction from the director was like straight face, let's get it done. And then there were lots of us you'd see in the blue per reel and stuff. I don't know if there's one just for the dance there's lots of breaking up right after, you know.
Speaker 1: Any particular favorite moments from the season, whether they include Murn or not.
Speaker 3: I actually it's funny. I mean if okay, if we break that down. My favorite episode is episode eight, although I'm not in it. I just think it was such an epic arrival of that team, you know, and it was just beautiful to say, especially with the cameos at the end. Yeah, so that was my favorite episode. Favorite. My favorite moment is slightly selfish because it was on the day we were filming the dance sequence and you're already having the time of your life filming this dance sequence, you know. But in the middle of shooting that dance sequence, James came up to me and said, can I have a word with you? And I was like, you know, and I joked, is this when you tell me you actually were looking to hire a chutel agr fun got our names mixed up? And he says, no, no, no, it's not, it's not. Actually is quite the opposite. I want you to play X in Guardians of the Galaxy three. So it was on that day we were filming it he told me that, and for me, as a fan, of comics, as a fan of James Gunn as an actor who's like sort of making my way more and more into film and TV. For that day to be already doing Filmmaker then asked to go on to this incredible next project. Was it's selfishly my favorite moment of the whole thing in what was a lot of amazing moments in Vancouver, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, that's truly wonderful. I mean, you know, acting any kind of creative life, you can't help it, appreciate it when you start to get work. What drew you to acting as a young person?
Speaker 3: What was it? Well, as a very young person in Nigeria, I grew up in Legos, Nigeria. I didn't have a choice. We did school plays and they put you in a player and you did it. And I happened to be good at it, and I did a lot of plays. But you know, it's sort of what you did at school and then. But I do remember in Nigeria as a kid, I was fascinated by film and TV. Fascinating. I just and I would memorize movies, whole films where I could quote the people talking. I would just that was my my imagination games weren't imaginary friends popping out of my imagination. Games were movies and TV shows that scene re enacting them, literally playing different roles from them on a given day. So I was always drawn to it. So, but I never consciously I didn't know what I wanted to be. It wasn't until years later when I was trying to convince my dad. My dad wanted me to go to Oxbridge, Oxford or Cambridge, and I knew that if I did that, I would have to make a decision on my career straight away, very early on, and I wasn't ready to. I didn't know what I wanted to do. So I said, if I go to America, at least I have a couple of years in the liberal arts system to mess around with different things and decide what I want to be. Somewhere in the back of my mind was probably the knowledge that if I'm ever going to act, I have to start there. Do you know what I mean? Maybe? But I hadn't codified it. And then so my dad made a bet with me. He said, Okay, fine, if you want to go to America, the only way you'll go to America is if you get into an Ivy League. Then I'll let you go. It was the most expensive bet of his life because I got into Yale. You know, my dad's first and so I got into Yale. I did economics there, but while I was there, I started doing drama. And the head of the undergraduate program, James de Paul, who to this day i'm very grateful for, saw me doing a production. And this is where it's weird. I'm sorry, I'm taking a long time to explain, because this is where life, this is where life meets art. When I was ten, we were living in Ethiopia. My parents worked for the United Nations, and we went Adis Ababa and we didn't much. The TV was awful, you know, so we had this black market amongst the expats and diplomats and stuff of VHS videos. We would exchange them, pass them around, and one day a copy of Beckett is a movie from nineteen sixty four, I believe, with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole, The Murder in the Cathedral written by Jean an Ui and a. As a ten year old, I'm watching this thing set in like the fourteenth century, and I can't get over how good these guys are like, I'm watching Richard and just going that's what I want to be. But then I forgot about it. That happened when I was ten. Fast forward to Yale and I'm twenty and I finally decided I want to start acting and doing it more. And one of the first posters I see my girlfriend. I am walking with my girlfriend at the time, and she she goes, oh, look at that post of my friends directing that, and I look at it and it's Beckett. That is the play of that movie. And of course I know it. I know both roles or whatever. I went into it and I got the role of Beckett. The head of undergraduate drama saw the play because he had to go grade it, saw me play Beckett, and offered me a full scholarship to drama school. And that's how my acting started because of this movie i'd seen when I was ten in Ethiopia that I was so drawn, so I watched it over and over again. So that's how the acting thing happened. Because when I actually started acting as an adult, because there was a whole period when I was in high school, I didn't act. I did sports. Back then, you either did sports or you did arts. You know, I did sport, but when I came back to it, I knew for a fact, this is exactly what I have to do, you know. And that's sort of how that drama school and on was what propelled me onwards.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I still got my degree in economics, so my dad was very proud of me.
Speaker 1: At what point did he realize that this was your acting was more than a calling, It was legitimately a pathway, something that you could do legitimately for work. When of your parents realized that it was that it could happen.
Speaker 3: My parents were amazing. I got offered this scholarship to drama school second semester junior year. I didn't tell them till first semester senior year because I was like, how do I tell my parents I want to go to drama school? But I finally wrote them a letter, and to this day I have the letter they wrote back. That was so beautiful. It was them saying, Okay, we're surprised at this. We never saw it coming. But our role as your parents was to give you the best possible opportunities and education. You've done that, You're at Yale, you're doing this. Now go live your life as you want to live it after that and if this is what you choose, we support you and thank God for that because so it wasn't that they thought, oh, he can make a living. They supported me from the start that this is the first time since they've known me as a kid. One minute, I wanted to be a firefighter, the next a vet, the next, the wrestler, the next to whatever like that. This is the first time that I had something that I was like, it's not just because I can do it, but this is what I want to do. And they supported me from the start, the believing that I can support myself with it. I just believed it would come, you know what I mean. There was no point that they thought, oh he's safe now. They knew it was a struggle. They knew it was hard. They helped when they can thank God for their support. I owe so much to them. I got my first apartment in London with their help, do you know what I mean? After I finally got my first big job and they helped pay for part of the deposit. They were just there for me the whole time. But I think it's only my mom passed away, you know, in two thousand and nine sadly, and I would say, it's it's I wish she could see this stage of it. You know, she saw the stage of the RC and the National She knew I could do it, and she could see things growing. I just really wish she could see this stage where she could literally go to the movies and watch me. Do you know what I mean? But I'm sure she's watching from up top somewhere. My dad's still around. My Dad's still around, loving everything. He became overnight a movie buff from never remembering my dad ever watching a movie to the end without falling asleep. Overnight, when I said I wanted to be an actor, suddenly my dad's calling me, asking me a James Cagney, Humphrey Bogat. Have I seen this film? Kauza Black is his favorite movie. He just became a film buff and watches everything. It's crazy, you know.
Speaker 1: I must ask you that season two of The Peacemaker has been confirmed. We hope to see some flashbacks or some kind of comic bookie rejuvenation. But whatever the case, where are you in that process and is there anything at all that you can tell us? And if not, that is also fine.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. It's not that I'm being of course, I genuinely don't know what's going on in the mind of James Gunn. It could go that serious, could go anywhere, And you're right when the world of superheroes and stuff, anything can happen. But I genuinely I'm not being a clever anything. I genuinely have no idea right now. I mean the world of James Gunn on the other side of the pond.
Speaker 2: Not that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we look forward to that. We look forward to Guardians three. Chuck, thank you so much for joining us. A really delightful conversation.
Speaker 3: Such a pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Chuck Weedy for joining us. Up next nerd Out. In this week's nerd out our recurring segment where you tell us what you love and why, James pitches us on the Amazon Prime series The Legend of Vox Macina, adapted from the first campaign of the popular twitch stream Critical role.
Speaker 5: Hi guys, my name is James Carson, and I am here to tell you why you need to be watching The Legend of Vox Machina. Vox Machina is an animated series for adults for those listeners with children emphasis on for adults. Based on the Dungeons and Dragons web series, Critical Role, led by Dungeon Master Matthew Mercer and a cast of incredible voice actors. Critical Role is credited with being one of the things that made D and D quote unquote cool again and is certainly one of the reasons why I've fallen down the rabbit hole and now have a dedicated group I play with every Tuesday. I need to take a moment to shout out my DM Gary and our party members Alyssa, Maddie, Kyle, Christian, Julie, Ulysses, Libby and Charlotte for making a very difficult time in all of our lives brighter and helping each other get into this wonderful hobby. After the completion of Critical roles first campaign, which stars the titular Voxmachin Adventuring Party and their adorable bear trinket, the company set up a Kickstarter for a single animated special that ballooned into one of the largest Crown funding projects of all time. In a preliminary two season partnership with Amazon Prime Video, Mercer, along with players and animation veterans Sam Regal and Travis Willingham were given the opportunity to bring their world to life on a scale they could not have imagined. The result was this the Legend of Vox Machina, a powerful, creative and surprisingly raunchy retelling of a beloved story that hits every single mark fans of the series could have hoped for. The first episode opens with the grizzly deaths of a different adventuring party hired to defeat a great evil in the realm of Taldori. Meanwhile, the down on their luck Box Machina find themselves in a brutally animated tavern brawl, except for their bard, Scalen Shorthault, who is in bed with the innkeeper's daughter that results in them being thrown out on the streets and forced to take the dead party's contract as Sovereign Uriel's last ditch effort to save his kingdom. While the adult bits are turned up to eleven, the series still manages to create a touching and compelling story, with each member of the party beginning their own personal journey in this first season, and the creators do an incredible job of showing what it really means to be in a D and D party. Not only are your friend's characters your lifelines within the game, but it's such a comforting thought, especially in times like this, to know that there are people who you can rely on to have your back week after week while you create your story together. The show also does a fascinating job of weaving standard D and D game situations into the story without being too obvious about it, whether it be the ranger of Exalia's primeval awareness, the druid Kilith using her wild shape to transform into animals, Grog, the barbarian and during a frenzied rage, or the Cleric Pike running out of spell slots and being unable to heal an ally at a crucial moment. For all its adult humor, the show has so much heart and is not afraid to put its characters of vulnerable positions to serve its beautiful narrative. You can find hundreds of hours of critical roles. First Too Completed a care Pans on their YouTube channel. Following the Party is Voxmachina and the Mighty Nine, while episodes of their third campaign currently air every Thursday night on their Twitch channel. The Legend of Vox Machina is currently in its first season with three episodes releasing every Friday on Prime Video, and season two is already in the pipeline.
Speaker 1: Thanks James for submitting. If you want to be featured, send your nerd out pitch to x Ray at crooked dot com. Instructions in the show notes, FYI will be diving into Voxmacin and other video game adaptations, including arcanean Uncharted in an upcoming episode, so go check those out when they come out up next the Endgame. We're in the Endgame now, and for today's game, we're gonna be picking who our favorite villain turned hero is. Favorite villain turned hero in any kind of story, sci fi, fantasy, comic book story, whatever the case may be. I will go first. There's so many. I mean, Jamie Lanister from a Song of Ice and Fire slash Game of Thrones, although like obviously in the books, has not fully had the chance to turn into a hero as of yet, but in the in the show had what I think is one of the most miraculous turnarounds from guy who pushes a child out of a window to guy who you're like, I want him to hook up with briannatarth which is like an amazing art, ultimate, many many other examples. But I'm gonna pick and then of course, like you could say Darth Vader, even though like he kind of goes opposite, but I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go Magneto.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 1: I think Magneto. Yeah, I had to do it because Magneto, for the first twenty years of his existence, did some of the worst shit did anybody could ever do, like trying to destroy the world multiple times, like hijacking nuclear missiles and trying to blow them up and turn either people into mutants or exterminate the human race and let and like the mutants rise above them. He did a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot of bad shit. But round about the eighties suddenly he started coming around, decided that you know what, I've done a lot of bad stuff and I want to take responsibility for it. He went on trial at the at the fucking un and ever since then, which I want to say, he's like X men about two hundred the trial of Magneto, he has been like basically a good guy. He's been a good guy for like thirty years now, right. A Holocaust survivor notably, I think that one detail forever shifted the way we think about Magneto, and so I am going to say Magneto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's like really the obvious classic choice. It's like because it's really interesting as well, because even though some places have repositioned him, like the famous eight million copy selling X Men number one in the nineties, you know, Jim Lee, Chris Clammont, like they want to reposition him as the villain, but it doesn't stick because we know the trauma, we know the journey of what has come. Okay, I'm gonna go for I was gonna also pick Magneo because it's like such a classic choice, but I'm gonna go for another X Men character, which is like I'm gonna go for Rogue because forget like early on, like she was like, you know, Mystique in the raised my Mystique in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. She is you know, contesting and fighting with Carol Danvers, which ends up changing her powers and she just has this wonderful arc and I love that in her case, it's this choice of nature versus nurture, and actually Destiny and Mystique who raised her were not bad people. They were just in a tough situation, and it's kind of that it's a continuation of the Magneto thing, which is like who is really the villain and who is really the hero in these kind of rebellion situations. And I like that as a young person she gets to choose her own journey and become a hero. You know, she has one of the best character designs of all time.
Speaker 1: I could not agree more. One of the characters when I was reading comics as a kid and really in love with the X Men that I most connected with was Rogue because this idea she was like amongst the loaners, who the you know, the Mutants are outcasts, their loaners, amongst the superhero community and the and the regular human community at large. But even amongst these outcasts, she was like the ultimate outcast. She was dart of mystique former Brotherhood of e Mutants took Carol Danvers powers, so people didn't really trust her and she couldn't even like hold hands with it. She couldn't touch anyone. She was physically isolated from people, which you know, I've said this before and it's an embarrassing thing about me, but I was extremely invested in the in the romance between Gambit and Rogue, and a lot of that was because of this dynam like near and love. She couldn't touch him, they could, they could even kiss. So that's a great pic. Love Rogue Love.
Speaker 2: Look with us too, it always comes back to the X Men. We can be talking about anything, but it's just always the X Man.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it for the endgame. Let us know your thoughts and use hashtag XRVN game to give us your pick. A big thank you to Chuck Woody, Woujie, and of course Rosie Night for joining us on X ray Vision. Rosie Plugs, Plugs, Plugs. Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: You can find me on Instagram, Rosie Marx. You can find me on Letterbox, the same name, where I'm putting out all my bad films that I watch and some good films, but lots of bad films. Yeah, that's I'm going to be writing a ton about the Batman. I think it's just been announced that Nedest He's going to have like a big Batman themed week where we're going to be writing about all kinds of stuff. And I've got fun of there also, just like I love how much everyone here loves comics. So I read this brilliant comic from this wonderful press that I love called Black Josey Press, which is it's like a collection of erotic indie comics. Buy this wonderful cartoonist called Trinidad Escobar. It's called Arrive in My Hands. So that's kind of like my personal plug because that comic has just brought me so much joy. And yeah, just appreciate everyone being here and obviously here you can always hear us here talking about the X Men.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about what we explore it each week's episode, check out our listener's guide to all things X ray Vision in the show notes or on our website. Catch you the next episode on March fourth, and again. Sendronurn out submissions to x ray at cropidduft com and don't forget rate and review us. Give us those five star ratings wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you so much, we love it. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rumin. It is executive produced by myself and Sandy Gerard, Caroline Ruston and Carlton Gillespie. Are consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is by Fascilla's Phatopoulos. Thank you to Brian Vasquez for our theme music, Goodbye