Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, so we recently had a very fun conversation with the hosts of pod meats World. Oh my god. They had us play this game. It was a little terrifying, but very fun. We got to know each other.
Speaker 3: They're a great trio over there. And this is part two of our chat.
Speaker 4: So part one is on pod meats World, so be sure to head over there and catch part one and it's also out today and then you can listen to part two here A's Still the Place, and just know that the podswap was pre recorded.
Speaker 3: They had us play a game. What do you think of the game, Laura? It was so fun.
Speaker 5: It's just it got us thinking. So that's the teaser for this.
Speaker 3: Totally got me to learn more about you.
Speaker 5: You got your two shoes birthday?
Speaker 4: Okay, just and you degenerate?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, all right.
Speaker 4: Well, on that note, catch part one on podmeats World and listen here It's Still the Place for part two.
Speaker 3: Have fun.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: Our next question is did you ever get into trouble at school?
Speaker 5: And if so, what happened?
Speaker 7: Will.
Speaker 5: Do you have a good answer for Did you ever get in trouble at school?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 9: No, I was. I'm a total rule follower. I got trouble one time, but it wasn't my fault. I got caught with weed in high school, but.
Speaker 7: It was not my weed.
Speaker 9: We were at a pep rally and somebody dropped it on the ground. I picked it up and went look at this, and a teacher saw me holding it and brought.
Speaker 7: Me to the place nothing.
Speaker 5: Are you sure?
Speaker 7: Do you just misremember your alibi?
Speaker 10: Swear to God?
Speaker 7: No, I was so high I would have remembered it. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, swear to God.
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 9: You know, we've talked about how I will marijuana.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like weed, But no, I was not. It was not mine.
Speaker 9: It was not And the czy thing is the kid who actually dropped it ended up going to prison many years later.
Speaker 3: Well, how committed you are to being the good boys?
Speaker 5: Still?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 11: No, I swear to God, I'll I'll take credit when it's mine.
Speaker 9: No, that was actually not mine. Caught a dimebag in school that wasn't mine.
Speaker 7: Caught by mister Hook.
Speaker 9: The science teacher would always go, mister Hook mister, and anytime somebody sneeze, you go, oh, get them up, somebody, guys, I.
Speaker 3: Think this is an episode from your show. You're confusing real life from.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the time Cory got caught with weed drinking episode. So I was watching Melrose. You guys did all the fun stuff on Melrose.
Speaker 3: Place when we were older. I was watching a couple of you guys' episodes.
Speaker 7: You were so young.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize you babies children eleven or twelve when she started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, younger, it seems so young. I just didn't know. I thought you guys were like older. But I knew my friendly Norris was in it.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, and he was a baby.
Speaker 2: You guys are all so young, yeah, and so good.
Speaker 9: I would come home for boy Mets World every Wednesday. I'd go to my Taco Bell with my roommate. We'd get our stuff and we would watch Mellow's Place every single really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so young. It was sixteen when when the show started. I think sixteen or sevente when Melroe started. We'd watch every now oh that Michael, don't get me started.
Speaker 5: Courtney, what about you? Did you ever get in trouble at school?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Even the question makes me get all such a little do gooder. I'm thinking, oh my god, and the only time. And it was so mean of them because I was a sophomore. I'd never done anything wrong, I'd never gotten in trouble. I was such a little do gooder kiss ass. And my sister was a senior, so I had a free period second period, so we would go home and watch Love Connection, so we were important. And then they said they called me into the office and said, we know you're leaving campus. You might not graduate. Isn't that mean? Like and it was just a pure It was so mean. Now I'm mad for myself, like if somebody feld my kid heads with. So I did get in trouble, but I don't think I was really in trouble. I think they were trying to secare me straight, and they did straight.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to graduate.
Speaker 1: I still can't watch Love Connection.
Speaker 5: Trauma. Trauma was traumatizing. Writer. Did you ever get in trouble at school?
Speaker 10: Oh? Yeah, yeah, you guys remember I got kicked out in kindergarten. But it was actually in first grade a time that I remember. It really affected me. My co host, No, I love the rain, I love it when it rains. Uh, And so when I was a kid, I used to love the rain. And we were at school and there were giant puddles everywhere, and I decided to be jumping from puddle to puddle, jumped into this big muddy puddle and was suddenly grabbed by a teacher who was wearing a white fur coat that I had just completely splattered with mud. And man, this woman just lost it on me. Uh, you know, probably too much. So, but I had to write a huge letter of apology and I just remember crying and then but I remember it was it was one of those good lessons because like I felt so bad, and then my mom like was like, let's write her, let's write the letter of apology, and let's do the thing. But recognize this woman, this woman got a little crazy, Like you were a kid jumping into puddles. It's okay, Like you didn't. You weren't trying to like do something wrong. You were trying to splash her. And so it was a good lesson for me, and like, oh you you can, you know, affect somebody else. You could have done the wrong thing, but it maybe wasn't that bad, Like you didn't, you know, but I still had to write the letter of apology, and I remember sitting there writing, kind of teacher, where's a white first focus elementary school kids?
Speaker 7: A gardener?
Speaker 5: You're teaching?
Speaker 10: It was probably so, it probably was not real for for whatever, you know, I ruined her coat or she had to get it dry cleaned, you know, Yes, don't wear white.
Speaker 1: Yes you overreacted for wearing But very good parenting moment for your mom. That's wonderfully done.
Speaker 5: Well done mom, that is a good one. Good Laura, do you have one? Did you ever get in trouble?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 4: I was actually kicked out of kindergarten too, and so I was.
Speaker 5: I still have a memory of this.
Speaker 4: I burned in class out loud, and I thought it was the funniest thing ever. And I laughed about it and I got sent out to the hallway for being disruptive.
Speaker 7: I sat in the hallway.
Speaker 5: Just going col I thought.
Speaker 4: It was so funny, Like I don't know, I was super disruptive. But my husband has a really great getting in trouble at school story, and I wish.
Speaker 3: He was telling it because he went to a Catholic.
Speaker 4: School where for too long a story all the reasons I can't.
Speaker 3: He was slapped by one of the nuns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something happened where he then he reached out to say sister, and when he reached out, like to touch her shoulder from it, he pulled her habit off a Catholic school, and this was in high school. So I'm sort of telling his story and it's not my story at all to tell, but anyway, it's it's a pretty good giddy in trouble story, much better than birding as a kindergartener.
Speaker 9: Six people on a zoom and two have been kicked out of kindergarten?
Speaker 7: How that positive?
Speaker 10: I was? I was suspended for multiple days, but but I was allowed back in the class. I did not get kicked out of the entire class.
Speaker 1: But why were you suspended?
Speaker 10: I don't want to tell you. Yeah, yeah, but it was it was like my third or fourth time being sent to the principal's office. That's why it was like the whole year was just awful. I was always in trouble, and rightfully so, like I was a disruptive little kid like I was. You know, when you're an actor, man, you're you want the attention, uh and you don't want to listen to another.
Speaker 7: You know, flastroom is your audience, That's what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Daphne, you ever get in trouble?
Speaker 3: And so jesus listen.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just gonna I'm going to pick one that comes to mind that is Karma's involved. And I think it's a good lesson for those that it might be listening and going ooh, I want to get in trouble.
Speaker 3: So I was playing hooky.
Speaker 2: I think this was seventh grade, and some kids convinced me to go play hooky and I was just felt so guilty, so guilty. So about several blocks away there was a payphone, remember those, And I called my mother and I said, Mom, I'm going to play hooky.
Speaker 3: I've already left campus. I'm with my friends.
Speaker 2: Please don't say no, because I'm going to feel so embarrassed because they're right here watching me call you and I already feel like an idiot. And she's like, oh, honey, I don't think that's a good idea. And I said, Mom, please don't make me go back. And she said all right, but don't make a habit of it, okay.
Speaker 3: So I said, okay, love.
Speaker 4: You, mom.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, yeah, she's cool. Let's go. So we went up to Tilden Park, which is a park above Berkeley where I was.
Speaker 2: And we all hung out for the afternoon. We go back to school and one person came down with poison oak all over her money, and it was me, Oh, no one else got it, But I was like, horrible poison oak grashes everywhere, just that red klumi us.
Speaker 3: My mom's putting calumi motion, like honey, I told you, you just make half it of it.
Speaker 2: So uh, that was the most innocent trouble I ever got in.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, but.
Speaker 3: It just it was It was Uh.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was really funny because I'm like, nobody else got it, you know, so careful, be careful your choice.
Speaker 5: Be careful when you ditch school.
Speaker 6: I was also a real goody goodye all through school I was.
Speaker 5: I was pretty much a rule follower.
Speaker 6: I didn't there were definitely times when I was school age that I got in trouble with my mom. My mom was very on top of everything she knew. When you know, there's a real funny story about getting caught smoking where similar to Will's story where he found a bag of weed and it wasn't his. I tried to say that was my situation.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was not smoking.
Speaker 6: I was standing in a group of people and they were smoking, and then all of us got in trouble, but we did not. And then I there was a the police officer who stopped us said because we had we had the cigarettes on us and he said, I like tried to physically run away and he said stop or I will have to make this an on site arrest. And that just really bothered me because I turned around and I went.
Speaker 5: Are in all arrests off site? It didn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 6: And then he was really upset with me that I that I yelled that back, But that had nothing to do with school, so that's that can't be it. But the only time I kind of got in trouble was with my chemistry teacher. And I was just a super talkative kid and I was always talking and I did not like chemistry. And it was the day of my sixteenth birthday and I was going to get my license and I was super excited and everyone knew was my birthday and that I was going.
Speaker 5: And the person next to me was like, are you going to get your license? And I was like yes, as soon as this class is over, then I'm leaving.
Speaker 6: My mom's making me up and it was like great, And of course our teacher turns around like Danielle and I said, yeah, what is it?
Speaker 5: Do you want to share with the whole class? And I was like, I was just saying.
Speaker 6: That I'm going that I was going to get my license after this and that I'm really excited. And he was like, I'm so sick of you talking during my class. I promise you chemistry has a better chance of helping you in your future than you talking. And I would just like to say we're wrong, you wrong. Okay, what is something you enjoy doing even though you aren't very good at it? I'll go first because I know mine very quickly. Bowling. I'm not that great at bowling.
Speaker 7: But I really really like it.
Speaker 5: I think it's so much fun.
Speaker 7: Will do you have one sex? Probably? I love it. It's a lot of fun. I could probably be better. I didn't know you're not that good at it, just assuming just a look.
Speaker 9: I would imagine, I mean, I imagine for me to get better at it, it has to last a lot longer than it does.
Speaker 7: So I, uh, yeah, no, no, I don't know im.
Speaker 9: You know, bowling is a good one, Golf is another good one.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 7: I'll stick with sex. That's Laura.
Speaker 5: What about you? What's something you enjoy doing even if you're not very good at it?
Speaker 4: Pick a ball? I'm playing pick a ball with a group of middle aged ladies and I would say most of them are way better than I am, and I still love it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, they'll still play with me.
Speaker 4: And I'm just really mediocredit.
Speaker 5: I love that. I love that, Courtney, do you have one?
Speaker 1: The first thing that came to me was singing and dancing, which is why I do it alone. So that's how I do sex.
Speaker 3: And you don't like yourself, I could.
Speaker 7: Be better myself. I could be better with myself.
Speaker 2: Well, play very good so singing and dancing, court Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I was on Ally McBeal, there was a scene where my character had to sing badly and Vonda Shepherd, who's a wonderful singer who's a musical and when in the studio for me to record my bad singing, and I sort of worked on something I was going to do and I sang it once and she said, well, can't get any worse than that. We're done, and yeah, because I was super trying to sing back.
Speaker 7: Yeah I nailed it.
Speaker 1: Was but not as tar as I think. And then people are saying you all to sing well to singing that bad, and I was like, I wish that was the case.
Speaker 7: That is thin.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's a good one, writer, What about you?
Speaker 10: I have the same answer singing, uh and all music, like you know, guitar, piano. It's like I'm I'm, I'm I understand it. I'm just good enough to be able to enjoy it, but I would never do it in front of other people, you know what I mean, Like it's just not but I love singing, especially like it's just the best feeling in the world. But I'm horrible at it, but you know, but I'll keep doing it because yeah, when in.
Speaker 3: La drive all the time, So yeah.
Speaker 10: I love it, right, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: Daphne, Is there anything bad at that?
Speaker 10: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: I had when I was uh just graduated high school. I was seventeen and I was auditioning for a summer stock and the only summer stock company in the area was a musical and I was like young and I even I auditioned and I had a song from Oliver and I had a monologue from uh Glass Menagerie, and I did both and I was like, I had three starts to the piano.
Speaker 3: I was like, can you just they did? Dude, can you just tell me? I didn't know when to start.
Speaker 2: I knew nothing, and so anyway, I got through the song and I got through the monologue, and the director of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Said, okay, my love, well you can't sing. I love the young actress, so I'm going to bring you on the company. Please just lip sync, move your mouth and have nothing come out. And I'm like, you mean, I got in I know. It's like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like, so I will uh so I know I can't sing, And that was very clear the very beginning of my career.
Speaker 3: So I was just won't go down that road.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go over here.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: My dad has a similar story where he was in everyone had to do choir and they were like it does you.
Speaker 5: Know it's not you don't need to be good. Everyone has to be a part of it.
Speaker 6: And then the music teacher was like listening to everybody and he's like, okay, I'm just gonna have everyone be quiet except for this group over here. And he kept going until he got to my dad and then was like, will you just mouth the words somebody is dragging?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are You a Charlotte? In nineteen ninety seven, my life was forever changed when I took on the role of Charlotte York on a new HBO show called.
Speaker 5: Sex and the City.
Speaker 12: As we watched Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte navigate relationships in New York City, the show helped push once unacceptable conversation topics out of the shadows and altered the narrative around women and sex. We all saw ourselves in them as they searched for fulfillment in life, sex and friendships. Now I want to connect with you and share untold stories and all the behind the scenes together with special guests.
Speaker 7: What will begin with Sex and the City.
Speaker 12: Will evolve into talks about themes that are still so relevant today. Are You a Charlotte is a much more than just rewatching our beloved show. It brings the past and the present together as we talked with heart, humor, and of course some optimism. Listen to are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Okay, so we have time for one more question. What job would you be interested in trying just for a day. From the time I was young, all I wanted to be was a waitress.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 5: I wanted to do it so badly. I've wanted to be a waitress.
Speaker 6: I still to this day think I would love it. I think it would be I know it's exhausting. I know my feet would definitely hurt. I would probably be very sick of the public, all of those things.
Speaker 5: But there is something.
Speaker 6: About it that I love and I don't know exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's that there's a lot of they.
Speaker 10: Just going talking and like friendly, feel good about themselves, bringing them their food.
Speaker 6: And also constantly, Yeah, if you've got if you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean, Like there's always something to do, you know, like you've got new tables, you've got turnover, you've got to remember stuff. People need their ranch or they need to ketch up, or they drop the fork, or you've got to reheat something or someone made a mistake.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 9: I don't know, it just seems like kind waitress would you be though, because I sit like I was going to say, like the you know, I need to and eve on a raft the wreck them like that kind of like that.
Speaker 6: Kind of I wouldn't be a themed waitress really. I don't enjoy a thief costume. Yes, but got fifties a fifties diner waitress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where like there's.
Speaker 3: Milk nakes from Alice.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's exactly a big kind of what the.
Speaker 3: Little coffee and he doesn't want to hear about it and kind.
Speaker 6: Of yeah, tossing the coffee in the mod That's that's what I would do. I just I want to do it, all right, who's next?
Speaker 5: Who's got a good one?
Speaker 10: I'll jump in because mine is very similar. I would love to work in a restaurant, but in the kitchen.
Speaker 7: I just I know, up.
Speaker 5: Great idea.
Speaker 7: I know it's like really hard work.
Speaker 10: So it's the perfect job that I would only want to do for a day, you know, Jesus experience it. But there's also something about kitchens that remind me of like backstage at the theater.
Speaker 5: Right, It's like that.
Speaker 10: Energy of like we're presenting something and we're trying to make it this satisfying, emotionally great experience and and I don't know, food Like all of that just sounds so exciting to me, but I know it is a grueling life. Yeah, you know, it wears you down. So it's a perfect job for just one day. I'd love to work in a kitchen one time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Laura, you got one.
Speaker 3: I'm struggling.
Speaker 4: There's a couple parts of this question, and I'm really struggling with Like, first I kind of wanted a caveat, like am I going to.
Speaker 3: Be good at it for this day?
Speaker 4: Like that may be that's important like to my thought process, because there's a lot of things I'd like to do, but like I want to know that i'd be good at it before. I love to like direct live television like that adrenaline of like, you know, making these decisions of this happening now go go there like that that idea that I don't have any I've never had any experience, you know, in the truck or whatever that happening. Maybe even just being a fly on the wall would satisfy my curiosity. But that sounds really cool. And I've worked in a lot of restaurants. I'm just saying that one was I've been a bartender, I've been a waitress, I've been a cocktail waitress. I you know, know how to bus tables, and I've done it all, so yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 6: That was directing life TV is a great one, though, You're right, that adrenaline rush and like having all that power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that just seems like such an exciting scare me.
Speaker 4: But I also kind of want the reassurance that no, I'll succeed at and I won't like screw it up, but I just want to try it.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: Two things came to mind. I've done I've only bus tables. I've never waited, but things, these two things came to mind. To be a lawyer, and I'm going I'm gonna jump.
Speaker 3: I don't care if I'm good or not. I just want to see what it's like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would have to have some experience as being a lawyer. But my husband says, you'd be a great lawyer. You love to freak and argue your point to the death, and.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, what makes you say that? You explain yourself. But I have a better point than you, and I'll prove it.
Speaker 2: A lawyer or a therapist for one day, because beyond that second, if you don't listen to my advice and you go back and be your stupid self and make all this mistake, life is long.
Speaker 3: You'll figure it out, but don't call me again shut them out.
Speaker 5: If I give you advice, you better take it.
Speaker 2: But those are the two that I think will be really cool and high stakes, you know, in the courtroom and for a lawyer and for a therapist to be the one on one with another whole, you know, person with the and what I could find out and how I might help them without anyway. There's just such skill to it, you know that we all probably know because we've all. I've been in therapy for twenty something years. I just think that would be fun for a day again, for a day. Yeah, there are days I'm in there and I'm like.
Speaker 3: How the hell do you do this?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I'm back again, and I remember saying to her, I'm too smart for this.
Speaker 3: You already taught me this one.
Speaker 7: What am I doing here now?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So I think those two would be really fun and exhilarating.
Speaker 5: Courtney, what about you for one day?
Speaker 1: I was thinking nursery school teacher, because when my son was little, I loved working in the classroom, but there was this point where it was fun, fun, and I was so happy I got to leave. Yeah, it's a lot, So I think one day would be yummy and perfect.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, what's a job you'd have for a day?
Speaker 9: Again, going back to what Laura said, if if I'm good at it, I'd like.
Speaker 7: To be a surgeon for a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that would suck. Yeah, that would suck.
Speaker 5: I wasn't good.
Speaker 9: So if I was good at it, I'd like to be a surgeon. If if it's not about skilled and I'd like to do something since my life is so.
Speaker 7: I don't know, it's not very what you know, be considered like.
Speaker 9: A manly, masculine kind of outdoorsy job. So maybe something like a lagger or a minor or something where I'm it's so different than what I do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm probably not the amount of.
Speaker 11: The environment, no, but something like that, like you know, work in a garage or work with the giant tools and making machines like something like that would be very cool for a day.
Speaker 7: Or working on somebody's brain.
Speaker 4: If I know what I'm doing right, What if we combine all these ideas for a day while being invisible surgeon.
Speaker 5: I would have chosen to read mind. So I just hear everybody going, what the hell is.
Speaker 7: Single thing?
Speaker 5: She's not writ and stuff down?
Speaker 6: She's never gonna remember my clear table please, and school teacher.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 3: Invisible therapist. That would be good.
Speaker 5: It would be great.
Speaker 3: Are you talking to yourself?
Speaker 7: What's happening?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Thank you all for joining us.
Speaker 3: So much fun. Can we do this again?
Speaker 5: Yes, so much fun.
Speaker 6: Make sure you check out Still the Place, The Melrose Place podcast with our lovely ladies here, Courtney, Laura, Daphney. Thank you guys so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for hearing us.
Speaker 5: This was really fun, and we we should do this again.
Speaker 6: Even if we don't do the same game, we should do something else together because paintable, I'm in.
Speaker 7: What you imagine? You're not good at sex?
Speaker 8: Will okay?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. It was really fun.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Wishing I mess bye
Speaker 2: H