Speaker 1: Look maher oh, I see you my own and look over there is that culture. Yess wow, let's cult. Ding donges is calling you really dug into those syllables. My friend, Today isn't ding dong. Today is ding dong like today is let's go. You gotta give the ding and the dong a little sound extra today for the culture. I mean, if you say so, because you point of transparency for the listeners for our pekf's. I asked Matt if he wants to do the year this year. I know we've been a little bit behind trust and believe the segment is not done. We've got many more years to go. But Matt said, I don't think we can today because and he flashed his phone screen in front of me on the zoom. He said, we've got a lot to cover, And I said, you're right, we have so much.
Speaker 2: To talk about and not for nothing, but all of these things could all have their own episodes. So I just feel as though it's a little crowd of this week to then. Can you imagine like Oscar Week, like the big pop curly album that's out, like Doune two is out, like the Royal Family is finally maybe in complete shambles like I saw Madonna.
Speaker 1: All it took was photoshop to kill the royal family.
Speaker 2: We will get into it, but what I'm saying is, I feel like, can you imagine if we just didn't talk about all this and we're like, so, what happened in twenty thirteen, Like that doesn't sense to me?
Speaker 1: I know. No, there's stuff happening in twenty twenty four that we really need to address.
Speaker 2: And that's actually really culture number nine. There's stuff happening.
Speaker 1: In twenty four that we really need to do address.
Speaker 2: I want to start by saying, and maybe this will make us segue into one of those topics.
Speaker 1: But Bowen, you crushed this last week. You were so good. Nice If you didn't watch SNL yet Bowen and Ariana Grande did Who's the musical Guest? She did an amazing job. They did Mulan Rouge sketch, which could not have been easy to do, and I know you, my girl, like you put your foot in that one. Aha. The hardest thing about it was just selling it as an idea because God loved this man and the producers. But Lauren and me, the top brass at SNL, have this note with everything where they're like why now, yeah and thankfully and it was Lauren's idea. I was like tied into the Oscars. The Oscars are this weekend. We're like, okay, sure, And then I looked it up. I was like, oh, Mula Rouge the first musical nominated for Best Picture since Beauty and the Beast, So like there was a long stretch of time. I guess that's what I'm doing, the math beating the This was eighty nine or ninety that was like ninety one, ninety one, ninety two or something like that. That's a full decade. Yeah, But now, of course Best Picture and ever since the extension to ten films, and we'll get into the Oscars later, but now it's like, oh, movie musicals are I guess kind of commonplace in that category.
Speaker 2: When Mulan Rouge came out, I remember that was like it feels like one of a million times that you've heard like the musical is back, and then all of a sudden, like you'll hear the musicals out again, and then.
Speaker 1: It will come back.
Speaker 2: Like really, what I think happens is when a movie is good, then that genre is back. If you can believe that people are sort of hyperbolic about the way they talk about these things, especially as it relates to the film industry, like that is what happens. But yeah, Mulan rouge. The thing that's so great about it and the why now doesn't even really matter because it's so iconic that like when you see her in that wig and that seteene wig, and like you using that voice and like them doing this song, even that set, like the set.
Speaker 1: We got to give it up to the folks at SNL Production Design. They really lea Yoshimura legend was like, we can't do it, and I was like, okay, well, whatever you guys come up with will be fine. And I love these people, but of course they have to pull off the impossible every week. Yeah, and they made it look incredible And that little like palanquin thing on top of the elephant took so much space on the floor that we could not bring our guests to We Can't Be Friends for the first musical performance because there was just no room. And I was like, oh, damn, well, I feel bad about that. I feel bad that the guests that SNL cannot the guests of cast could not go to the floor and watch that song. First of all, guests of cast will be just fine.
Speaker 2: And I think what happens there is they watch it from the back and they see her other performance and they're totally fine. What was important is that you guys were literally given the actual physical space and emotional space to deliver that sketch. It was really funny, Like you guys should definitely check it out. And I really liked the other sketch too, which was the people pleaser.
Speaker 1: As anonymous, I thought that was really funny. Thank you, thank you, Alison Gates. Overall, what an amazing episode. Josh Brolan, what a gem. He's really good, really good, really consummate professional, great, perfect example of a host. Yeah, lovely, lovely man, to say nothing of Miss Scarlett Johansson. Oh my goodness, crushing Katie Britt.
Speaker 2: I really I hope this doesn't become a Tina Face Sarah Palin thing, because that means that Katie Britt will have become part of the culture and I really don't want that. But I said, I haven't seen Scarlett Johansson tear up comedy like this since.
Speaker 1: Don John, which I haven't seen. You haven't seen Don John on my face, Oh my god, Like that's such a good one. Jose Levin Joseph Gordon Levit, who I believe also wrote and directed it, and Scarlett Johansson play is just like that Long Island Staten Island girl, like you know what I mean, Like just like it's and she's having a lot of fun with it, and she's like so like hot that it's so funny, and it's just a really good one. Good at that, Yeah, I mean, like who could forget Look at this one, Look look at that one, Look at this one. You gotta buy a chandeliah.
Speaker 2: We were joking, we were joking the other day, like someone was saying, like, oh, Scarlett Johnson is Katie Britt, Like that's her best comedy performance of her entire career. I was like, yeah, well it's up there with like you look, get this one, get that one the chandeliers.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh not everyone knows that sketch. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: But also she did another SNL sketch, God god god it was.
Speaker 1: I think it was with Keenan where she was the funeral singers. That's so good.
Speaker 2: And then she also did a really good deep house dish back in the deep House dishes of course my favorite sketch.
Speaker 1: Of all times by the time James Anderson Series of sketches James Anderson. But she did a song called co Check. This Jacket's expensive, Oh so good, So I do love it. What a gem. Well that was really really great. And you know, just to talk about her performances that you must have been able to see them live a bunch ari stuff. Yeah, yeah, I saw, I saw her soundcheck. Just those songs are really really, really good. The whole album should be what do you want to start off with the album? Let's talk about the album. Let's talk about the album. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have to say, like I am so obsessed with this and like I can't remember a time when I was so into an album immediately. But actually it dropped at so nine pm in LA because we were on the way to see Madonna and so so I made like a last minute decision to go see Madonna, like because I love the Night of I guess people sell their tickets on ticket Masters, so the price is kind of dip. But I was like, you know what, what, am I crazy? Like I'm not gonna go see Madonna? Like of course I'm gonna go and so we'll get to that later. But on the way there, on the way that we listened to the whole album, like I think it was like all the way through and then we started it over again.
Speaker 1: I am as someone.
Speaker 2: Who's like culture, and like that made me say, cultures for me is very much like that late nineties Mariah, you know, like this is very much my shit. Like it's like, tell me that something is more for me than these R and B vocals over these like sexy little hooks, this vocal stocking, all these harmonies, just like avalanche of harmonies. She does her vocal production. She really shows the girls how it's done with these like singer songwriter lyrics, like with like dance influences, and like I just feel I feel, I.
Speaker 1: Just feel I feel I feel, and so does she. I feel that. I think I have my favorite Ari pre chorus hook of all time, which is something about Mames Mady like me maybeke him mom. It's so like she's a siren, that girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of vocals, obviously, there's no one in her like peer group that really is capable of what she can do. And I don't even mean just like singing down like all over the place. What I mean is like she and I don't know if it's because of Wicked or just because of like a way that she's trured or a way that she feels she needs to serve this particular album. But the storytelling is better than it's ever been, and I wonder like and not to do that thing of.
Speaker 1: Like she doesn't enunciate back in the day, but like you know, she was loose with the way that she would like phrase you know what I mean, like and she would give it a lot of stylization, whereas this is just like very direct. She's in like this different register than she is oftentimes like so that you really feel like there's something else that's important to her here, which is like telling this story of this these relationships, you know, and how they interact with each other in this concept of the Eternal Sunshine thing, because it really is lightly like a concept album. Yeah, and I think of it as like not necessarily biographical or autobiographical. I don't think it is. Yeah, Like I think the big tell is her use of the word like got to get out of this situation that it's like, okay, this is kind of there are liberties being taken with like real life experiences, and that's all I'll say. But yeah, I think it is this thing of what I love that I think she hasn't done in her albums is like poses a question at the beginning, answers it by the end, love it perfect circle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that she's spoken in interviews about the fact that like it is not autobiographical necessarily, it is based on certain things that she's gone through. But this isn't one thing I want to say about sort of the macro thing, right, like the Ariana grande of it all in terms of the past you know, year or so, in terms of the media narrative and stuff like that, and how that gets filtered into the work. And I feel comfortable like bringing it up now because she's now made art about it. And I want to say just a couple things. Let me just first say that if people are going to be like, oh, they're just being sickophantic because bow And is friends with her, I just I would hope that people would think more of us than that.
Speaker 1: And also like, if.
Speaker 2: Like you've listened to this podcast and you think that we're getting on here and like doing our jobs badly because we can't be subjective about this stuff.
Speaker 1: You guys, we just wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Bring it up at all. Like if we didn't like the album and we didn't want to like hurt her feelings, we wouldn't bring it up at all. Like, first of all, do your research on it. I'll speak for myself, like this is so my shit like that, like, don't tell me I don't like this.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite fucking album of the moment.
Speaker 2: And I actually was listening to it last night again and being like I doubt that something even touches this, but just like I'm not lying to you on this podcast, I think that this album is like really special and specific, and yeah, sure I think it can relate to what she's gone through, but also there's obvious things about this and she's talked about this and spoken to this that it's like an extrapolation.
Speaker 1: On these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: And this album will remain special to me because I feel like it really accurately depicts that thing of when one relationship is ending and you can see in the forming of something else why it needs to end. Sometimes it feels like you have to sort through your like guilt, accountability, you'll regrets about a certain thing in order to move through, and that's a really tough process. And I feel like all of those emotions are in this album, and so I commend her in the face of what probably had to feel like a lot of pressure. And I'm sure for some people it will never be enough. But what I love about this album is it's not like flexing on anybody. It's like very I think it's really complex and all the emotions that go with a relationship ending a new one, starting being self conscious about the way that it started, feeling guilty, feeling excited, feeling horny for something that's new, It's all there in a way that like I am really connecting too as someone who's been in difficult relationships and emotional situations in the past, Like I'm feeling that there's a lot of truth and authenticity in this.
Speaker 1: Yes, truth and authenticity in conjunction with like a sensitivity. I think I can say that not an autobiographical as an album, but she was very, very very purposeful about the way people would be portrayed in this and the way she would portray herself in this, and how it's not a totally like my hands were clean. It's not like she could have absolutely put out an album that was like I'm going to preserve and protect things about my own image or rest the narrative from someone or the media or people in these situations. I mean, I think we can't be friends is not necessarily a lot. It's about her portrayal, the way the media relates to her.
Speaker 2: I've always felt that. Yeah, and I almost feel like it's about her fans too, Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Know that you made me. I'm watching the lyrics. I'm still here hanging love that wait until you love me, Like we can't be friends, but I like to pretend. I like to just pretend, like clean your papers and pens. I'll wait for your love again. Like She's like, we're in a tough spot right now, and I get it, Like I didn't think you would understand me, but like, you know, it's all these things that are incredibly fragile and I think very nuanced and there is I'm just sticking this is the only thing that I'm going to acknowledge about the situation, which is that like there is such a unqueer, puritanical Christian way we are approaching marriage in the discourse very like trad wife. I'm like, this is interesting, Like everyone's being very like this sanctity of marriage. Of course it is so much more complicated than that. But at the heart of these conversations that we've had in like infidelity discourse with everybody, because I will also just say, like the thing and we can't be friends, is like the narrative is wrong. The narrative is wrong. And she's not even outwardly saying that, but the narrative has been incorrect, and people have even retracted things in these stories with no fucking apology to the people who are involved. Yeah, yep, I can tell you for a fact that what people out there seem to be clinging onto correct is incorrect. Yeah. I mean that's I guess.
Speaker 2: Another thing of it is it's not that people sound silly or sound dumb. It's just watching something in action when the truth is something else that has to be incredibly frustrating for everyone. In terms of like people attacking like the sanctity of marriage or whatever. I think that people's point is that it's more than that, because there was a young physic or young family, et cetera, all these things. But I think that and I'm just gonna speak in terms of my personal experience here, and I'm just gonna share this. Sometimes I think it feels like when you have a sort of cosmic thing happen where you fall in love in such an intense way, and it almost feels like the right thing to do is to move forward with that for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? Like if you have a situation where it feels absolute in terms of the actionable thing, it is so consuming in a way that like can be destructive, but it cannot feel that way from within that closed system of like two people. I mean, it's like it makes it cliche for like the man to like fuck the secretary, which is not what's happening here, but it's like it's why this thing persists in like humanity, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that we love a gray area, and we love like an anti hero, and we love like something that's complicated and emotional and fraud as long as it's not real. I think we want to root for Olivia Pope to fuck that president for the rest of our life, you know what I mean, Like we root for true love like we've and in other senses, like you know, fucking like we want complexity. It feels like everywhere else except what's real, because then when something is real and we can make it about us, we can become the complex figure. But the fact is like everyone's a human being and like goes through things, and sometimes this shit is more complicated than you would think, especially for someone who has been through like specific relationship trauma, specific emotional trauma as it relates to the past, the way that she's been treated, the way that she has seen her relationships start and end. That is something that's like it's difficult when you are public because it looks it almost looks like a sort of like thing you can't possibly take seriously. But the fact is, like it is not our life. You have to imagine that people are not doing things with destructive impulses. You can't imagine that anyone meets and are like, wow, you know what we're about to do ruin lives, Like we're about to be emblematic for something bad. No, no one goes out in their life and does that. What people do is that they go out in their life and they engage with other people, and they engage with their emotions, and sometimes things happen and I feel like we are allowing a complexity in fictional people, but not real people. And I think it's really crazy what happens in the discourse. And I'm not saying you have to like her. I'm not saying you have to like the album. I'm not saying you have to agree with me or agree with Bowen. But what I'm saying is like we should probably allow for the possibility that not everything is exactly what it seems, because it feels like when we engage with entertainment that would suggest that we're all in and we can understand it. But then when it's a headline about someone that we can be ready made to criticize and hate and project on, we lose all ability to see shades of gray in any situation.
Speaker 1: And that is what's happening here, full stop.
Speaker 2: What's great great about it is we have this excellent art and that we can have a discourse about.
Speaker 1: Sure, she could have very easily made this a reputation album, an album that was like, fuck you, I've been completely misunderstood. I will emerge from this victorious, if not like completely alienated from a whole kind of narrative that's been created out of my control. But I think instead it's this very fragile, delicate work, and I think it's her most sonically cohesive album. I think it has just such a specific vocabulary, Like I really think she like came out of positions and was, like I put out my Vibes album, let me go back to like the root of this thing for me, which is like I was singing Mariah since I could talk, you know, like, let me go back to that. And I really feel comfortable talking about this, and anyone who's rolling their eyes at what I'm about to say can really go fuck off. I have understood in recent months that like a media narrative can be completely consuming and devastating and like frustrate you to know, and because of how wrong it is. Yeah, and having your name be put in sentences along with other names as a way of like canceling anything you do out of like invalidating what you do, like pushing absolute falsehoods. I'm sorry, it is a really fucking disorienting thing to experience. Yeah, I'm just gonna say that. And I'm sure people who listen to this have experienced this on different levels, scales bigger than mine, smaller than mine. It doesn't matter. But you must understand that there's something universal about this thing of like, oh no, you don't. You've completely misinterpreted, not even misinterpreted, just like mistaken on a literal level, like what has happened to me? What I have done, what I have not done? And you can be completely vindictive about that, or you can make the choice to just move forward and make something out of it if you want, cope with it, process it. This girl knows how to process shit through her work. Like we've known that to be true since years and years and years ago. Like let her cook, as we say, now you know what I mean, leave it alone? Yeah, just leave it alone.
Speaker 2: That's all I mean for me too, Like it's just what's been created out of whatever she's gone through, like in her old relationship, whatever she's experienced entering a new one. Is this really cohesive story that I think that is eternal sunshine, which is starting with am I in there?
Speaker 1: Like right relationship? I don't know?
Speaker 2: I actually am positive I'm not and for me that's by but obviously I slip up and there's I don't want to break up again, Like I'm still going back and forth. I just remember when my last relationship ended. There were so many times where I thought I was done, you know what I mean. There were so many times where I thought like that, I was like on my boy by shit, you know what I mean. But then you slip back and you realize, like what am I doing to hurt someone?
Speaker 1: How have I been hurt? Like?
Speaker 2: Do I not like this person anymore? My favorite element of the whole album, like my favorite section is we Can't Be Friends into I Wish I Hated You like I had to talk about it in therapy, like the we Can't Be Friends music video, which really is the story of the whole album.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I tried to cry when I first saw it, and then I cried about it in therapy talking about it, and then I cried about thinking about therapy later, like I was. It was pisce seasoned down, like and this album is coming at a really fraud astrological time. But I have to say, like I Wish I hated you like that is really ultimately at the end, the fact that that's really the last song that's about the old relationship before she ends it like in a state of peace about the fact that like she's going to try to step forward like and really like actualize this.
Speaker 1: Thing that she deeply believes is the love of her life. Like the last thing that she says is there's no way I can justify anything other than what I will always have for you, which is just love. Like I got into this relationship with you. Oops.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got into this relationship with you because I love you. And then that's actually never gonna go away, Like even if something, even if shit really goes down, like if shit really burns down, what's gonna always be true is that there was so much love there.
Speaker 1: And hopefully at the end of every relationship, like what you can do is leave it and you can remember what was really important was that you loved somebody and that they loved you back, and hopefully that's always the leaf behind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it should be. And of course situations are ugly, and of course shit doesn't always make sense. But I guess the last thing I'll say is that we can't we shouldn't be demanding that people, especially artists, be perfect. Of course, like have your opinions, like you know what I mean, But we're going to live in a very boring world if everyone just acts the way that you want them to. And if we can't ever learn from people, and we can't ever like absorb people, and we can't ever have like difficult situations reflected back to us. And this is very conflicted, I think, at times tortured, at times euphoric. Like the work asks a lot of questions and answers some of them, Like everything is very in process, and I you know, I hope the best for anyone that's like representing their relationship.
Speaker 1: Here or feel seen by the work here.
Speaker 2: I hope that you know, everyone can find like a piece with love in their life, you know what I mean. But like I also know that cosmic love and those feelings, you know, they don't always pan out in the best way. And here's what you can know. If anyone's going to really pay for it, it'll be the people that took the risks. So don't you worry out there, like if what you really want is for people that you don't agree with to fail, like who knows, like they just might, But I would hope that we're not rooting for that.
Speaker 1: No, But you know, if you are a big believer in karma, if you think this invites karma, which I'm here to tell you again that your set of facts is not I'm not going to reveal the actual facts because they're not mine to reveal, but I can say that the matrix of information that you are using to like draw a line to the karmaic outcome you want is not existent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would say that, you know, even thinking about like us going back like five years, like some people being like, oh if this or five years ago, they would tear her up, you know what I mean, or like whatever, Like.
Speaker 1: I would hope that we don't talk about these things the same way we did five years ago, because maybe the tone has changed for the general culture consuming population, you know what I mean, Like all of us are kind of evaluating things differently. I mean, I don't know what to tell you. If you get the ick from thinking that we are like defending these people that, like most of whom we don't really have that much of a connection with anyway, Yeah, then fine, I'm here to tell you, like, would you be putting your friends your coworkers on blast? Absolutely not. Yeah, shut the fuck up. And it's not a transactional thing. It's not that like this is a muzzle. But like I'm just gonna say this is someone who has been like a true friend to me, and I I love she has shown me like whatever, not that that buys you like she had.
Speaker 2: But two things can be true. I believe that every single fucking thing we just said is true. And I also believe that you're goddamn right. If something went down, especially during that time when you were not having an easy time, I knew that you had someone that was like really looking out for you and really writing hard for you and like really being there for you. And I will be fucking grateful to that person forever because there's nothing I care about more than you and the fact that someone had your back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what we are gonna fucking have that person's back anyway. That's the album. I love it.
Speaker 2: I fucking love that, and also like not for nothing, but it will be so identifiable with a moment, and she should feel so proud of herself. I said, you know who's definitely proud of her for this, fucking Mariah. Mariah would have made this album if she was already on his age and like if this was like that moment in time for her.
Speaker 1: This album reminds me of many ways of Butterfly. It reminds me of like, you know, it reminds me of like new era Mariah, because I do believe where this is new era Ari, Like she talks about how you know, it's equal parts to Mariah and image and heap. I think that is so executed.
Speaker 2: So well, And I don't know what I care about ultimately is that fucking art is good and interesting and makes people think, it makes people feel.
Speaker 1: This is all those things to me, well fucking done.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it's this is definitely gonna be one of my favorite albums of the year and I will listen to it forever. And I fucking love positions. I love when Ariana Grande is like yuh, yuh, my pussy is a strawberry.
Speaker 1: Like don't don't get me wrong, Like I love pussy is a strawberry, right, you know what I mean? Like I love I'm rich love it and like, but like it would have been so easy for her too to just do an album with that and sidestep this whole thing and be like it's me Ari yet. Yeah, but like she did, there's not a a miss. Okay, what else is there in the culture that you want to talk about? I thought they were like one of the best oscars I'd seen in a while. Like I thought they were delightful, it wasn't like an amazing show for me personally, although I think the wind never is. It never is. The winds were very satisfying up until I would say the end maybe, but not like all of them at the end. But I will say I mean the Boy and the hairn winning were things winning the technical oscars. I was like, okay, like this is there's an even spread here. I am like, oh, kind of a bummer that the only two shutouts within Best Picture were Killers, the Fire Moon and Maestro. Not a bummer, but it's like it would have been. It kind of would have been like a great thing if like all ten movies had gotten some flowers. That's all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that, like ultimately, the Oppenheimer of it all is kind of all because I feel like at least I can speak for myself. I went out of my way to see everything. I did end up seeing Killers. I did end up seeing out of interest zone, which was hard. But I a one hundred percent agree with it winning what it won. I think the best Sound win is a really inspired choice because sound is so crucial to the success and how hard that movie hits. But it beating Oppenheimer was obviously a surprise. But I guess the big note there is in terms of sound, one thing we need to be able to.
Speaker 1: Hear is the dialogue.
Speaker 2: Oh so that would be I guess my thing about Oppenheimer, which I respect, it's when I understand and respect that people feel that that's by far the best movie of the year.
Speaker 1: I do disagree. And I say this as a Christopher Nolan fucking super fan I am. I am Dark Knight hive. I love Inception.
Speaker 2: You can catch me weeping to Interstellar, like you know what I mean, Like I love Christopher Nolan. I just think this almost tough because the length, and I do think the sound mixing is an issue. But you know, it did run away with pretty much everything.
Speaker 1: What I liked.
Speaker 2: Was I love poor Things, and I feel like when it started to win earlier in the night, I was like, oh, maybe this like two horse Race, isn't really going Lily Gladstone's way. And just to speak to the Lily Gladstone and m Stone of it, all that could have gone either way. It would have been an incredible moment had Lily Gladstone won the Oscar. But if you haven't seen Poor Things, then you should. And I wish that people wouldn't take Lily Gladstone's Oscar loss out on emmastone because that is so unfair, and that is, of course the way the discourse has gone, because as we've just said, the discourse is toxic and decides it has to be one thing and it's so black and white. There has to be heroes and villains. So Lily Gladstone has to be a hero here and Emma Stone has to be a villain here because she's won the Oscar. When Emma Stone is fucking talented as shit, what she decides to do with her movie stardom is like produce things like Poor Things, which is thought provoking and radical and feminist and really cool, and she's producing problemsta like please miss me with like she's emblematic with racism and like some sort of like bigger thing than it is, Like, do not take it out on her if you're disappointed for Lily, that's fine. Her career is forever change. She's now an Oscar nominated actress. She's the most famous person coming out of that conversation because everyone's rooting for her and wanting her next thing, her career will be fine, Like it doesn't have to be fuck Emma Stone.
Speaker 1: There's also this other thing going on where everyone's like, well, she should have done supporting Lily should have done supporting, and then she would have won. It's this weird kind of post mortem. But Kyle Buchanan was saying this, it's like, no, by campaigning herself for lead, she's telling Hollywood, I am alle taking me seriously, taking me seriously. Absolutely, she should have no regrets. No one should believe that she should have done things any differently. She pulled off a flawless campaign start to finish, not a single misstep. And yes, it's frustrating that she did not take home the trophy, but she is coming out of this a full winner. She is moving forward with complete power and grace and everything that she deserves.
Speaker 2: No super excited for I mean, I saw she's the lead of that Hulu show that looks really good. She won the sag Award, She's won a Golden Globe, like and now, sometimes I think like that helps propel a narrative, you know what I mean, Like Emma Stone wins this Oscar. By the way, no one looked more mortified than emm a Stone.
Speaker 1: Like that reaction.
Speaker 2: Shot of her winning that Oscar, you could tell she didn't want it like this, you know what I mean. But also it's like last year with the Kate Blanchette and Michelle Yo of it all, you get a sense that Kate Blynchett started like campaigning for Michelle Yo because she could feel this heat breathing on her neck of like, if you win, fuck you the person you'll have taken it from. It's like, it shouldn't be about that. What's important is the art. What's important is that last year, the Michelle Yo and Kate Lynchett year, we had two towering performances that were so different that we're given by people that are the best in their fields. And yes, the Oscar was won by Michelle Yo. It felt incredible. It was so deserved. It was what I was rooting for. But what's really important is the art that they created. What's important is that we created the character of Evelyn. What's important is that we created the character of Lydia Tar And by we, of course I mean them, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's ultimately what's important and this Oscar thing. This like winning losing narrative is like it doesn't mean that person is a loser.
Speaker 1: It just means that it means that like one of them won an Oscar. Like now we know the story of Molly and we know Bella Baster Is this like really fun your ghost character? Like there is like an O Sage narrative that is like us Hersesey directed film, Like if you think about it, I don't know, not that we're like revolutionizing the way to think about this or to like taught to like have the discord, but it's like if I frame it in that way, it's like it's incredible that like this was the Oscars race and like, yeah, it's a weird. Yeah, I mean someone did a super cut of like Emma's reaction shot to the wind and then like cutting to like screenshots of the discorse and whatever. Like it's just I did see that the spectator sport of it is like a little gratuitous in a way that's fun and like that's why we love Award Season. But it just feels like it gets longer and longer every year, and by extension a little bit more exhausting and draining. So that by the time it's past Sunday, I'm like, I don't really want to think about these movies ever again. Is that bad? Yeah? No, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I feel like the season is very long because it feels like it starts in September and goes to March, March to the point where like Oscar season, like give me a break, like this is just what it is. I'll tell you what I loved. And I'm clapping for the writer's branch because we picked two great movies. These are the categories that I like always am elbiting about because I just always want like the right script to be solidified.
Speaker 1: With this Oscar whim you are a writer down. I love that, I would.
Speaker 2: Say Anatomy of a Fall that was one of my favorite movies of the year. They tore that script up like incredible and then American Fiction. I absolutely loved it was so great and Core Jefferson, I just want to shout out because.
Speaker 1: That speech was incredible.
Speaker 2: What he used his time to say was so worth it and it was so meaningful and it was so true and you can feel everyone being like, yes, that is that is exactly right, Like instead of a two hundred million dollar budgeted movie that may or may not fail, and then we all have to pay for that, like in terms of like you know, the fact that we don't have the opportunity to see smaller budgeted things because all the budget went to that one thing that may or may not be good, because those are the movies that are more likely to be put together by committee artistically in a like on an executive level, like we're just the soul of the film industry is like dying and more and more every single year, and it's because we are not investing in more talent and like ideas that are like interesting, actually interesting. He said, make tons of smaller budgeted movies and invest in more stories and more talent than this one big budgeted movie.
Speaker 1: And I really do believe that's the way too. I couldn't agree with him more. And there he is holding an oscar on stage for one of those modestly budgeted movies, and so he's in a position of power to speak to that, and I'm really grateful that he did, and I really respect him. He's speaking as a writer and a director. It's like incredible. I mean that the impact of that sorry to Francis McDorman, But I mean inclusion writer. Has that impacted at all? I hope, I want to say it has, but I've not seen that be the norm. And that's not a ding on Francis. No. But I think this could actually, hopefully, like have some impact. I think hopefully. So everyone was watching, I really like I was watching with House and Whitaker and Tom and we were all up cheering friends with Jefferson. I believe they worked together. They were together, And then Whitaker showed us photo of them watching the Oscars together like five years ago, just like hanging out. I was just like, what a beautiful.
Speaker 2: He seems like such a great guy and it feels like he's very beloved, and I'm really I mean, if you haven't seen an American fiction, you should definitely check it out.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, it's really smart, it's a brand new. And check out the Good Place on Peacock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to check out the Good Place on Peacock. It's really smart, it's brand new.
Speaker 1: I do miss the Good Place. Good Place was great. I love the Good Place. Good Place was a lot of fun. Can you believe they gave Messy the dog from anatomy of a fall a seat at the Oscars. Messi had a full seat. Messi had a full seat, but everyone was very up in arms out the puppet, the applause pre tape, m M. They shot that beforehand, which you know, like it's a as well trained as Messi is, as much of a professional and an amazing actor as he is, you can't tell him and communicate these things. He can't, like explain that this is an award show and you're here because you did it a great job.
Speaker 2: Messi is capable of so much, including performing an overdose an anatomy of a ball. I don't know, bitch. I think they could have talked the dog to clap in real time.
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm with the mob on this one. Oh gosh, did you see the shot of Messi at the end of the broadcast of Messi like raising his leg up to pee on Matt Damon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star. I didn't see that, but I love it. Little Jimmy Kimmel joke, Little Jimmy joke. I thought Jimmy Kimmel was great. I thought I thought that it was really fun. Also, shout out Lewis Vertel he wrote for the Oscars. He did a lot of the monologue. I know that was his lifelong dream.
Speaker 2: So I just want to shout congratulations to that fucking bitch. I wanted to say, I fucking one of my favorite things about any award show is when Billie Eilish is there. She's just I fucking love her. She's so fucking good. I just love watching her perform. I love that song so much.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad it won.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy it got everything it deserved. You know, it's the first song since My Heart will go on to win Song of the Year at the Grammys, and yeah, for Best Original Song.
Speaker 1: Culturally, it has that impact, you know what I mean, like like nuts and shallow, Like Oher was saying this, like it seems like every five years or so, Best Original Song feels like the category of the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's really because we're honoring a cultural moment, which I feel like keeps that category alive in a way totally.
Speaker 1: But like the gaps in between those years feel like conciliatory almost. I mean so literally five years ago was shallow, you know, and it was just like, oh my god, this one, what a moment you know, like I know, I think we kept calling it the shallow shot, which was like shooting with the audience and frame like I'm behind so funny, oh man, Yeah, and shout out to Becky G. Shout out to Becky G. That cutaway to Diane and Eva Longoria, I mean that did you.
Speaker 2: Hear about this controversy? Like apparently Diane Warren flipped a ship when Cynthia and Arianna were announcing Best Original Song, because Cynthia was like, tonight we've seen nominees for Best Song, and Ariana goes and the Oscar goes too, and just open the envelope whether or not she was supposed to say the nominees versus in dispute. But Diane Warren apparently started screaming and was running around furious because Arianna hadn't like said the nominees, which means that Diane Warren didn't get her like.
Speaker 1: Name read out, this is the rumor that's happening.
Speaker 2: And apparently Eva Longoria saw Diane start to spin out and she went to the bar.
Speaker 1: She was like, I'm not handling this. She was like, I Am not dealing with this. She was like I thought I was gonna be off the fucking clock. She goes, bitch, I got the fire inside. I am out of here, bitch, this is endgame. I directed this movie. I am love. I'm just happy and grateful that I got the Oscar nom Yeah, miss me with that Diane. We love Diane. Though we love Diane, I mean say, don't go famous song the woman wrote because you love Me? But like I don't know.
Speaker 2: At the moment, I was like, I was like, oh, is she opening that envelope a little early? But then now I'm kind of happy because I do love that there was drama.
Speaker 1: Ari and al Pacino not naming the nomies. I think that was just like a programming note, a production, just like to be. I was like, let's let's keep it moving because the songs were shortened too. The songs were very like we're like, very abbreviated, I thought, except for I'm just ken and what was I made for? Which you know, I guess, oh, just so. I loved that he was great, like I just felt good he got it, and also like to be that relaxed and singing live on the oscars, like that's really cool shit.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially for someone who we know, you know, people who know know he is a singer, but like not really known for being like some live singer. Like yeah, yeah, it was really good. The whole thing. You could tell.
Speaker 1: It was like a very joyous performance. I love that they gave Barbie as much real estate on the show as they did, even though it only won the one award, because it was one of the stories of the year obviously, absolutely, And back to Billy, like, it was just that first shot of Ryan in the audience, like Billy is cracking up, cutting up. I'm like, yeah, I was like, oh, this is a great vibe, like like the Barbie that whole Barbie group is like, so it feels like such good vibes. Everyone's just like really really I don't know, like very like basking in like this journey that they've all been on, which ended that night, you know, like yeah, Margo fucking looked stunning, Greta looked amazing. Yeah, all of it. America Snatch, America Snatched. I did have one moment of just like, oh, right, I could I was supposed to be you were supposed to be in that, and that's all I like acknowledge about it. But I was just like, oh my god. And then you cut to you at home, like staring at the space wended.
Speaker 2: I will say one of the fun moments of the show was Rita Morano presenting America.
Speaker 1: Fererra America America. I love that. I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: I love the Fab five coming out and doing the speeches.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I will say if I have one thing, it was Charlie's really flopped hers.
Speaker 1: Like I've never been stung by a jellyfish. Cut to that, bending like, oh, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Like I think Charlie's was trying to give it like a gravitas that like was not placed correctly, like it was obviously a joke, like if you have to lean on it a little bit, but she tried to play this like middle ground or like underplay it, like you can't underplay I've never been stung by a jellyfish. But watching you and Benning, I felt like I had you can't that there's nothing yeah, you know, there's nothing emotional about that, Like.
Speaker 1: No, there's no grip there, there's no purchase, like lean on it a little bit, Charlie ease, like we got we have to understand that it's a joke. Because then at the end. It was just so funny because the Net Benning's sitting there, She's already she had to get a dressed for this. She was like she so she didn't, but like she's sitting there. And then at the end of that thing, though Charlie's speech, she kind of goes like you can see her kind of like tilts her head and be like, eh, a net Benning, what about George model for award show behavior was like fuck this, I'm wearing a Mother of the Bride yep garment. I don't give a fuck. I'm gonna wear my fucking tinted glasses. And those were chic. Those were chic. Her most animated moment all night was Kimmel at the end doing like the Trump jail time. Patrick and I were laughing laughing because she was like a mad She was so tickled by it, and that was down for that Trump drag.
Speaker 2: She was really down for it. It's just Patrick also, House was like.
Speaker 1: Patrick was rooting for a net the whole night. I mean, yeah, he was at and honestly, I loved a Net bending and Nightet. I talked about it a couple weeks ago, like it was so good, but what else oh love Divine's speech, like that was so great, Like Robert Downey Junior. I thought we frontloaded our speeches this season. Like it's hard when you keep seeing the same person go up again again again, because by the time Oscar night comes around, it feels like anointed in a way, and the speeches feel less, you know what I mean. Like I feel like one of the only people that really worked all the way up to giving her best speech was Divine. And then you know, not everyone else nailed the speeches. But hey, but hey, that's Hollywood. That's Hollywood. Maybe not everyone nails the speeches. Not everyone nails the speeches. Did you see Dune yet? Speaking of Hollywood, I have not seen doing I'm going to this week, but I can't wait to see Timmy ride that worm. I can't wait for the ghost of Oscar Isaac. I guess he's not in it. Oh, he's in the credits. He's credited in Doune too. I like looked it up. I was like, did they credit Oscar Isaac? I know Momoa is not credited because of what happens, but for some reason Oscar. Maybe I looked at the wrong thing. But I could have sworn that Oscar Isaac was listed as a starring actor in Doune Too, and I was like, Oh, I guess they like do a flashback or something. I don't know. Mimoa. Momoa is not credited in June Too. He's not in it, right, But I'm saying, but did I say Oscar Isaac? Yeah, Oscar Isaac is credited in June Too. I believe he is not in it either, because he's not in the movie. But why would Momoa Momoa? He's not in this He was in the first one. He was, Yes, Jason Momoa, Jason Momoo shaved shaved Jason Momoa. But if I was, I think he looks hotter without the beard. Sorry, Jason. Oh, Okay, interesting, I didn't even remember that. Okay. So the thing about dunes is I definitely go see them, but I am miserable almost every second while I'm watching them, And then the second I leave, I can't stop thinking. You're like, I love that. But but while because you feel sand, you feel the sand. I don't like to be sandy.
Speaker 2: People know that, like, and I'm always worried about people's ocular health, like because of all the dust and all the sand, and also the context they have to keep putting in their eyes. I'm just so concerned about Timmy and Zenda and sort of their eyes and their nostrils, and Javier as well. I will say my favorite part of these movies is Rebecca Ferguson amazing protect her at all costs, Lady Jessica is that girl. The performance that she gives in this and the first one I thought were great, Like, this is the kind of thing I would like to see it.
Speaker 1: I'm nation four, like, so so so good.
Speaker 2: She's so like, it's like this mixture of unbothered and completely physically tortured, which I takes me laugh and gives me a thrill. Loved her talking to her baby Annia Taylor Joy, and then loved the one scene with Anna Taylor Joy. I hope she got paid one hundred thousand dollars for being a day.
Speaker 1: Player at least. I was like, literally all I could think about.
Speaker 2: I saw it with Ade Schwartz and I was like, I left and I was like, how much do you think they paid?
Speaker 1: Anya? I think the root of Rebecca Ferguson is unbothered. I think you see an interview She's like, oh, what is this. I don't give a fuck, but it's so charming. I love her.
Speaker 2: I think we need to get we need to give her way more. I think she is actually top one percent of the talent in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's her.
Speaker 2: But I was looking at her IMDb because I was, of course trying to track down which from the greatest Showman to do. Oh yeah, I was like, no, well that obviously, but she was out. She made news because she said, like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 2: It was an act years ago, total assho and he was mean to me on set and I never forgot it, and like.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, do you think it is? Well, I have my opinions, but I'm oh, you're protecting celebrities. No.
Speaker 2: Fine, I'll just say I think, looking at it, it's either Michael Fassbender or Jake Jillenhall. And then I watched interviews with both of them because this is how on the case I was, and it seemed like, at least in terms of the press presentation, that she could do relationships with both of them. So what I'll say about Rebecca Ferguson and all this is she was incredibly honest in that last interview and she's also incredibly good at press because you cannot tell which person it is that was cruel to her on set, to the point where she was like, I have used to work with you today, you know, but that is but that is what she has said, so much smoke and mirrors out there.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about the royal family? Because this is eating my ass up. I was going to say, I was gonna transition. I was gonna say, Rebecca is one of our great brets, and to go to some ungreat brets, let's talk about this whole fuck it thing. Let's fucking go. So that is the craziest photo I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe they thought that was gonna fly. It's completely unhinged.
Speaker 2: Either these are the dumbest people in the world or they think we're the dumbest people in the world.
Speaker 1: And maybe it's both. I think it's both. That window on the left, I'm not even looking at it. I can just just all of it is. So what's the word eerie? Like really disturbing? So disturbing this photo.
Speaker 2: They're eerie and disturbing people. So for those of you who don't know, like Kate Middleton has been. I think everyone knows at this point. I mean, I'm sure everyone knows, but Kate Middleton's been missing. And they released this photo of her that was so clearly like either AI or photoshop or something that was just like me and my children together definitely today, and everyone was like, that's obviously fake.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: And then they announced I think she made a statement taking credit for that and was like, I'm so sorry that was me.
Speaker 1: I'm an amateur photographer. I dabble in photoshop.
Speaker 2: First of all, Mama, Kate Middleton, you were not on photoshop putting this photo together.
Speaker 1: Like, no way, no way, you barely know how to use a computer. I can't believe the lengths they are going to cover up what is going on, which, by the way, the cat's out of the bag, because did you see that clip from Big Brother UK? No tell me bowin fucking Echen Sue is now on Big Brother UK with I guess like a relative of Kate Middleton, and so in the Big Brother House, Ecken Sue asked, and this is you can see a video of this because it's the Big Brother House. She goes, I have to ask you, like where is Kate and her cousin or something, or her uncle or something, sighs and goes, you know, they've asked me not to talk about it, but just she's getting the best care. He literally says those words she was Is she okay? And he was just like, you know, I'm I really, I'm in contact with her mother. I'm not really supposed to talk about it, but like we're they're doing like what they can. I can't believe Eckin Sue is fucking Ecken Shou was the one. My god, so.
Speaker 2: And I literally I had to laugh because I was like, Wow, it's all converging in a way that's so crazy. But what's obviously happening is she's ill, she's not well, and for some reason they feel the need to cover that up or not tell the truth about this. To the fact that they would now outwardly lie and misrepresent things.
Speaker 1: They gotta go. They can't be trusted, They can't be trusted. This is the ghost of Diana, just like fucking up every single lane of this family. To me, like, there is no like good royal right now, I'm sorry, or ex royal for that matter, not one. You can't root for these people, No it's so crazy. There never was not I said that there ever was. I'm sorry, I keep going. Except Diana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that this is way worse than they think. Like I think this is like maybe even the straw that breaks the camel's back, because even people that like didn't care about the treatment of Diana and didn't care about the treatment of Megan.
Speaker 1: Like have an issue with this because being lied to this. Yeah, and it's just like, what would be the big deal about being transparent and honest about what she's going through? You know what is if she's very ill, like tell people that, Like, what would be the big deal? The imagery of the royal family right now is that it's like falling apart because of Charles, and I mean, it's all pretty bleak and dark. But it's like they can't afford to look any weaker than they already are than they already do.
Speaker 2: I think it's a total miscalculation on their part. And I think they obviously have the worst pr in the world. But I think when they've been the most powerful and when they've been the most beloved is when they peer the most human, you know what I mean, Like Elizabeth coming out and greeting the mourners, like William and Harry, like when Diana passed away, like them being so obviously in a state of grief and mourning, and the country could be there for them and rally around them, like you know, even Harry and Megan leaving, Like that's a very like human thing in terms of like I just feel like they need to understand like it is through humanity and it is again through complexity and gray area that we all can truly connect. And I feel like they're trying to withhold this image that is now like we know, completely constructed, because it's starting to fall apart in front of my very eyes, and I'm like, what is this all for?
Speaker 1: What is this all for? It's to preserve meaning in like this thing that has had meaning for it, Like I mean, like this is not a totally discount the royal family and like what its value is in like British culture and world culture. It's like the value of the monarchy is to like give people a sense of like, oh, like let's fixate on these people for all these reasons, and like now that the fixation is grim and dark and like has like a mortal element to it, it's a little sad. I think like people in the UK would and across the world would like freak out a little bit, I think. But it's not that they already aren't. It's just that, like the smoke and mirrors of it is a way to keep people like somewhat sane, and yet it's having the opposite effect. I just think, if she's really ill, I hope that everything's okay. But what they're telegraphing now is that everything is not okay. And now people are going to be panicking. Now, people are going to be like, even if they are to come out in a couple weeks or whatever and say what the truth is, like, who's to say that that can even be trusted? Right, Like at this point they have completely lost everyone, not everyone, but like the majority I think most people. Yeah, anyway, listen, speaking of Eck and Sue, I just really want to debrief on the Traders. Yeah, we have to have it on my little list. I mean that finale was eventful, It wasn't uneventful. You can't say nothing happened. Yeah, I do think it was just such a an empty finish. It was scoundrel behavior from Traschelle I'm just gonna put it on Trachelle honestly, and CT. I guess if they both went in because they both made that pact with each other. I am a little thrown by CT voting for Trischelle, Trischelle voting for CT, Trichell voting for CT. Yes, yes, yes, but like the way they like, the way they iced hat MJ was just so fucking crazy to me, and it was so sel It's just like, oh, you you couldn't have done a three way split just on a math level, on like a greed level. Is that what that was? I mean, yeah, it's a game totally. I did think. Yeah, I think what they did is above board. Okay, well we're going to disagree. I agree to disagree. I didn't watch the reunion, although someone did say, like, for people who don't watch Bravo, like, you have to understand how embarrassing it is for Trischelle to sit that far away from the center in terms of the gameplay.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, she was the only person who deserved the money, like her and CT, because MJ got to the end literally wrong every single time. I mean, she was literally a definition of a goat. So I understand being with her at the end and being like, I don't want to share the money with her. I mean, that's happened before, and it is a game, like, yes, maybe they were the faithfuls the whole time, and so you don't want to backstab it faithful.
Speaker 1: But it's also like you are there to win the money.
Speaker 2: So as a game move, I would have respected it had they gone in and been like, you and I are going to split the money like we stbby where let's get her out of here, because ultimately she also could be a trader. I do believe that Troschelle had a reason to believe that CT could have been a trader, and so when she voted for him, I was shocked. And then she talked it through afterwards. I was watching an interview with her afterwards and she talked it through, and I was like, oh, yeah, there were definitely times where his willingness to allow her to get a shield she read that as like, oh, he doesn't feel like he needs one, he's a trader. Like there were there were moments where I was just like, I get that reasoning, So I would have understood it either way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit of a bummer that Kate kind of stopped trying at the end, But that's.
Speaker 1: Kate down like she she is someone who disengages like that. Yeah, as we saw last season, you.
Speaker 2: Kind of got a lover like but being in the top four when there literally had to be a trader there because Chat had been murdered, and her being like I believe that everyone hears a faithful It's like, mommy, you just gave it away. Like but but then it's like, I don't know did she throw it because she came in halfway through and said I don't really deserve this, like let's let them have the money and duke it out. Like I can see that. But yeah, obviously anytime anyone is in any of these games, I want to see them try to win all the money. That's just what I think is that's gameplay.
Speaker 1: I understand it's gameplay, but it is so funny, Like Trischelle was framing these the entire game is like an absolutely moral kind of like crusade where it's like the traders are murdering us that we are to get Like I kind of took it as that. I was like, she's taking this serious, like and I understand the shift to like pure gameplay towards the end. But it was like a, oh, I don't know, I just I just don't like her, that's all. She's like Gazelle levels to me. I'm like, I can just tell Giselle and Troschelle are not your girls anyone that ends with an L except Chrishelle. Chris, You're alleged love your Roschelle. No if I if Trichelle shows up to an upfront event, not that I get invited to them anyway, but I'm just like, oh no, it's always like the upfront is always where Bowen expecting to have to throw hands. Yes, I'm gonna do it. Sorry, Sorry, Donald Langley. I feel like, yeah, I mean it was a fun season. It's a fun season. I'm sorry. I don't think some honey, Dan and Peter like just people who kind of like killed the vibe of the whole thing. Dan by like killing the sort of like making it impossible for the traders to win, and then Peter for just being so smug and making the faithful as impossible to root for. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good distillation of what it was. I guess, like I just wish that people could get all on the same page about like the fact that it's a game and you gotta do what you gotta do to win the game. Like and I feel like in Australia, not in the UK. And the UK they were very emotional all over the place, but in Australia it was clear that everyone was there for the money, which is why you're there, Like, and so anytime like some emotion like comes into it, or whenever anyone's like I have to think should I vote with my head or my I'm like screaming at the TV.
Speaker 1: Your head, your head, oh, with your head. But the thing about this season of The Traders, which I thought was interesting to see play out, was like, if it is all reality TV veterans, there are so many other factors that go into it where it's like it's not like a full normy season where it's like they don't know each other. They don't know each other from Adam, they don't know what their strategies or what their reputations are. Like this was a season of The Traders where it was like, oh, did it work? And I think it did? But did it work if everyone knows has all these preconceived notions going in. That's all yes, definitely, that's what I think. Whatever it is, it just.
Speaker 2: Has to be on an even playing field. And season three it is going to be reality stars again, like that's yes, yes, yes, confirmed. But what I like about an All Normies cast, like an Australia cast, is.
Speaker 1: You really believe they need the money.
Speaker 2: And so for example, like on Australia, it's one woman being like, yeah, probably with the money, I'll get a new hand. It's like that's different than k chesting, you know what I mean, Like, probably with the money, I'll get a blow out every week for the rest of my life, you know what I mean. It's like I would rather I don't think she cares about her hair, I said. In every scene it looks like she's hanging upside down. It's wild ish.
Speaker 1: Down, chaotic as shit. In every scene, it's like the hairstylist was like, hmm, for you, we're gonna go static. I'm just gonna rub my feet on a carpet, honey, and then we're gonna get you electrocuted as fuck. Like she her hair looks fucked, freshly fucked, freshly electrocuted. It is fuzzy, but that's the one thing I like about Australia and I have to say, watch this season because it is so good and you just get that there's a desperation for the money there that informs the gameplay and makes it even more cutthroat. Like I don't know, I just my thing is I just want to see the game played well. Of course, it's fun to have like the fun elements of like you know, the reality show aspect, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, lord Naik and Sue, no one likes you, poverty. I don't have to kiss her ass for a ro. I was like, that's all fun. But it was very funny at the reunion. And if you watch the reunion, you'll see like the housewives treating it like a Housewives reunion and the gamers being like.
Speaker 1: You, guys, it's a game. But I kind of love seeing that sort of mingling.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so funny. The collision is so funny. Also, it was such like fan service wish fulfillment for me to see Parvety sitting next to Andy Cohen in a reunion.
Speaker 1: Like I said, God is so good. I started. I started the episode and I was like, I'm sorry to be superficial, but Parvety looked at me and saying, she loo's great. She looks stunning. I mean, look, if it's gonna be a reunion, like, let's turn the reunion. And also Peppermint had a I'm glad they gave Peppermin a moment to be like me, being on the show was incredibly meaningful m hm. And it was so disappointing that I went out. So we're yeah, fuckinglle Man. You know, it's it seems like they are okay. You know what I would say, like, that's my thing is like Peppermint and Tochelle seem okay. Peppermint applauded for Trischelle when they talked about how she was the winner. They still follow each other on Instagram, Like, but I also wouldn't mind if I never had to think about Tchelle ever again.
Speaker 2: And that's that is your right. And guess what, maybe now that she's won the money, maybe she'll retire.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Speaking of a human being with contradictions, I do just want to touch on the Madonna concert. Oh yes, please, this was so fun.
Speaker 2: I had a great time. I'm so happy I went. It was a very comprehensive show. You got everything. She was playing the hits and also there were some swerves highlights for me, crazy for you. I mean, I just love that song so much, like love that song love hung Up. Just the Vogue section was fucking great. Ali Wong came out at my show. Oh that's fun, and I will also say the highlight, and I would think that this maybe is the highlight of like for many people for our entire tour. I was at the show where Kylie Minogue came out, and it was such a moment to see Kylie and Madonna on stage together and they sang an acoustic version of I Will Survive and then Madonna let everyone in an acapella can't get You out of My Head like chorl oh my god. There was so much love and respect between them, genuinely, Yeah, And that was so amazing to see, like, and it felt like all artifice dropped away for a second. Yeah, And Kylie came out and Madonna pointed at her and she was like, this is a real survivor. And I feel like only they can really understand like the positions that they're in and obviously like women at that level, but to see them stand together and you know, Kylie was wearing her shirt that said Madonna. That called back to when Madonna wore that shirt that said Kylie Minogue, and it just was a joyful, faggy moment.
Speaker 1: I love it. These are two very important people. Yeah, oh my god. I mean yeah, like there needs to be some sort of documentary, some sort of journalistic thing on those two on their careers, like side by side, because they really were like two sides of the same coin for a while, like coming up around the same time, representing different things, kind of converging, then diverging, converging, but then I mean in the end, it all converges back once again, and it's like, these are just two fucking legends, and to see them kind of join together and celebration is really really beautiful. I mean god, I do have regrets about not going to see her Madonna when she was in New York, but that is a very special She had Barclays, she was Barclays and she did MSG and I misspoke. Oh wow, I was very very sad. But yeah, this was that the Forum. Oh great, And she's been done so many shows. I really feel I went to the right one. You definitely did, And the fact.
Speaker 2: That we got Kylie Mino' is like, oh, Cardi b came out and did the Vogue section last night. Apparently it was a blast, like Tony Gomez was saying, it was so fun.
Speaker 1: Oh fun.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to say one other thing. Madonna, which is at the top of the concert, she was, you know, it was like after the first couple of songs and she was addressing the audience, and so many times she was like, you guys need to put your fucking phones away, get up on your feet. She was like talking to the audience like we were her servants, and we loved it.
Speaker 1: But at one point she goes, you know, I've been in this business for forty fucking years.
Speaker 2: I've been doing this for forty fucking years, and just today, just like the first day, I give zero fucks.
Speaker 1: And then I was like whoa.
Speaker 2: And then like a beat goes by and she goes, well sometimes I give like one and a half fuck, and I was like, I was like thank god, you know, like because it just goes to show that like even Madonna, someone who got to where she's got by being like, you know, no holds barred, confident in doing what she wants to do, like to see that she exposed in that moment, the complexity and the humanity of like I am Madonna, and that comes with so fucking much talk about someone who's been dissected, hated, beloved. Cast Aside said like she was over, said she was the greatest thing in the world, the highs, the lows, everything for Madonna at the end of it to expose about herself like you know, I know my image is like bitch on Madonna, and she in that moment was like sometimes I give like one and a half fuck because yeah, like when you get to that point, like there's so much responsibility and you mean so much more than you can even possibly fathom. You are such a fully realized figure in the minds at least there's a perception that you are a fully flashed figure of everyone in the world because you are Madonna. And to see her exposed that she actually does care sometimes about like maybe what goes down, what people might think, like what's being said, I thought was like very full circle. And I also felt like was empowering almost to see her be up there and not like lie or hide behind some facade of like I'm.
Speaker 1: A bulletproof bitch. Like to see that like soft core.
Speaker 2: I was like really appreciative of that, And from that moment forward, I was able to enjoy the concert even more because this is someone who's like showing this arsenal of hits and this this entire career, this story, and at the end of it all, like she exposed that humanity and I was able to really appreciate her triumphs even more.
Speaker 1: Well, let that be like proof positive that you can be sixty five years old and be celebrating your entire body of work with people who love you in that space and still acknowledged the idea that like, it's just it's the human condition just to like care, to like be vain sometimes, which is not necessarily like what is the universal? But it's like you are like there is no escaping that you cannot, like you have to kill such a crazy deep part of yourself in order to not care, in order to like just let the work speak for itself and let that be the only thing, and let that be the thing that you rest all of your value on. It will never be that, even if you're fucking Madonna, your forty years of work will not be the thing that like saves you or inoculates you from feeling like insecure or inadequate or like you're not with it in whatever way, And it's fine. It's like anytime we feel like, God, shouldn't I have grown past this? Like, shouldn't I have outgrown this part of my life? Like you never will? That's okay, that's scary, But it's like it's just how our brains are wired. It's like we have not evolved past that on a sort of like cerebral level.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not natural to be Madonna and have world wide international influence and discourse about you.
Speaker 1: That's not natural.
Speaker 2: So to hear her say I give one and a half fuck, that was to me kind of revolutionary to hear from her.
Speaker 1: I like the grammatical sort of like itch of like not plural fucks, right, give one and a half fuck one and a half yeah, and singular fuck, which doesn't grammatically totally make sense. Title of app one on and a half fuck, I love it. That is a really good title of app. Actually, yes, that's a very good title of app. We tapple everything in the culture, should we do? I don't think so, honey, I think so. This is I don't think so, honey. This is where we take one minute to go off against something in culture, go off on something in culture. Matt, do you have something I do?
Speaker 2: And before I do this, this has nothing to do actually it kind of has something to do with it. But I do want to say one other thing, which is I went to that Elton John oscar party, Oh my god, and I saw something strack. And to see something strack at the Elton John party when that had been.
Speaker 1: A plotline on the show was lol to me.
Speaker 2: And I will say the highlight of my night was when I was standing at the bar trying to get a drink and I look, I look over and there's Kesha and we were all ready for drinks and the bartenders were doing an incredible job, but like it can never be fast enough, so Kesha as a joke, like grabbed a bottle of champagne off the bar and like pretended like she was going to take it. And I turned to her and I said, that was the most Keshau shit I've ever seen. And she left and we had a nice, little.
Speaker 1: Cute little moment. You two, we don't know each other and she does not know me from Adam, but I did see her act Kesha in the wild, and so I had to call it out. She was not stealing it off the bar, just like I didn't steal that strawberry. Short kick, bitch, you're doing accusations on that mo. My god, we can't get into this, but no, we can't. You. We would never, we would never do anything like this today. No. I was twenty three, we were twenty three, and I'm a human with complexities effect you're just at the same time. I know that me and my sister share a bloodline, a blood we share a blood live I have. I don't think so, honey. Okay, this is Matt Rodgers. I don't think so many as time starts now, I don't think so honey.
Speaker 2: I have thought my en seam was different than it is for years. No fuck, I've been there the wrong in seam for years. For years, I've been saying my enseeam is a thirty two. Suddenly I don't know what happened. I realized, Huh, every single time I wear pants they're too long. It's because my enseem is thirty four years.
Speaker 1: I have been bow and yang. I know my own length of my legs.
Speaker 2: I am a thirty I have short thirty legs and a long torso it is part of me. This is me now and this me then. Since I started giving my n S team, I have been a thirty. My pants have always been too long. I'm always wondering, Huh, why do I always need the best bottom of my pants and tailored? Is there something wrong with my body? No, there's something wrong with my brain. There's something wrong with my mother, who told me I was a thirty two in my entire life. Well, Katrina Rogers, I have news for you. I don't think so, honey. I'm a thirty in seam. Goddamn it, mama.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. I'm sorry you took me on a journey there because I thought you first started out saying you didn't know what an en seam was, and I was gonna say, oh no, no, my en seem I feel like this is something you should have gotten to the bottom of years ago, honey, one hundred percent. But I have been so for years. Like it's not something that like your mom tells you and then you it's not like you know, oh, like one of your uncles has like a secret family. It's not like that. It's like, no, this is the thing that you can sort of verify for yourself without having someone else time. I know, but that doesn't mean I can't blame my mother.
Speaker 2: And what I would say is, for years and maybe still even in my heart, for years I identified as a thirty thirty two thirty waist thirty two in seam. Not only it's it's literally flipped. I am now a thirty two waist. Even sometimes we're ring on thirty three, depending on what the situation is. Sure, sure, but my waist has gone up. My enn sceam is a thirty. I am a thirty two thirty.
Speaker 1: And now that I refuse to believe I'm a thirty two thirty bitch. And can I tell you something about you don't believe? We have the same Yeah? Literally literally literally, Bowen, we have the same legs. We'll compare next time I see you. You are literally feet taller than me. Bowen. My torso is a very long I have a swimmer's body. You don't, God Bless must be nice. Excuse me. This is about me and my en seam. Are we the same? We are we both thirty two thirty? You know what depended iie light. I'm like a thirty three, thirty sometimes thirty four if it's the winner. That's what I'm saying, Like if it's like January or we're having a hard time, like it might even go up to someone. The other day, I was getting fitted for work and the girl goes, okay, so we need to get you a thirty four, and I said, excuse me, like, and by the way, we're not putting any we're not putting any stigma on any way side, but we're the way size is beautiful. That was just two sizes sometimes even three sizes bigger than I usually.
Speaker 2: I don't want this to fall off, right, And I was just like, I was like, oh, that feels too big for me. And then they explained like, oh, when you're getting fitted for things for like a job like that, you want to get something a little bit bigger so that it can be brought in, Like because that's just the way it is. But anyway, it's not me saying like if my waist right now is a thirty three thirty four, that's fucking great. I just should know that, and I should know that my end seam is a thirty because that will never change. And I've been saying thirty two for the longest time. I swear to God, I'm so happy now. I just threw out all my pants bowing, and I went to fucking Banana Republic itself and I got some new pants, and I'm so happy because they're all thirty n CM and I feel like.
Speaker 1: Finally, finally, finally, it has happened to me. My pants are correctly fitting. I'm very happy for you. So happy. Pants are really tough. They can be some of the toughest. We don't talk about how that it's it's a deeply personal journey, and it's sometimes it's lifelong. I still am not really finding the right genes. I've avoided jeans. I'm finally ready to go back into jeans. You really don't wear jeans. They don't look good on me. But I believe it's like my journey with love. I believe it's out there. But I have had bad luck, and I may maybe it's because I'm not genetically built for it. No, girl, I'll tell you what we're gonna do. Next time I'm in New York. We're gonna go to APC. I love APC.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get you some jeans because we're gonna figure this out. We're gonna get to the bottom of this one, okay, because there's no reason you should be feeling anything but excited about your legs, which are aspa ration.
Speaker 1: No, they need to be contextualized properly with the right shoes, the right short, right shorts or pants. You are so powerful in a short, I know, but I can't wear them all the time because the legs are legging. I love my legs, but I'm saying the pants, the way that pants are produced in this world not meant for me. We're gonna get to the bottom of this, okay.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's how I feel about shirts, Like sometimes I'm like, because my torso is on the long side, I feel like oftentimes like something will fit me on the shoulders and then be like a little too short on the bottom, which is never something anyone.
Speaker 1: Needs, no of course, But Matt, you you are a very well proportioned person. You know this.
Speaker 2: Hey, Bobby, all right, so this will be bowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think it's the honey that's always so exciting. Yeah, and he has one minute on the clock and bone Dan, I don't think so many time starts now, I don't think so, honey, this video game Final Fantasy Sevin Rebirth. It is stoppering all culture consumption for me. It's the first thing I do when I wake up. It's the last thing I do before I go to bed. I am three episodes behind on Drag Race, and you know I need to catch up because our Good Girl Joke and Booster is guest judging next week. This week, oh, this week, this week, I have not watched a single Housewives reunion from between Miami and Beverly Hills, and I'm usually up up to speed on all that second. It was a struggle. It felt like homework watching The Traders finale, and I never thought I would say those words. I was on a reading tear with my books, and all of it has stopped because of this game that is so beautiful, so effervescently fun, narratively doing so many things that I've never seen done in media before five seconds. This game is a celebration of video games in general. It is a celebration of fun, and that's why I love it, and that's why I can't get away from it. That's one minute. So that was one of those sneaky I don't think, Sohney, is that I thought how much I love about it, and I was like really shocked. My qualm is that I haven't been able to do anything else. It's disruptive. It's disruptively good. It's disruptively good. I mean, Matt. This game has you play these like mini games that are like, oh, you're you're thrown around a soccer ball for five minutes. Oh, you're playing a card game which is amazing, by the way, called Queen's Blood. Oh it's such a sleigh but it makes you First. I normally don't give a shit about these minigames in video games. I'm like, let's just keep it moving, Let's get the main thing going. I don't want to be distracted by these side things. No, the side things are just as fun. I want to win at the side gas. I want to achieve the highest rank at the side games. There's a game where you played the piano and you have to like it's like Dance Dancer Revolution, which you know is very formative for me. This game is pure fun, pure fun. Oh, I have another adem think so money really quickly? Okay, I don't think so, honey, Alex English, No, No, no, just very very very Alex English. He changed I got Steff on on air on SNL for this Lisa Temecula sketch. This was really good. He switched up the cue cards on me. Aga was supposed to have the line I am neurodiverger, but she did not say neurodivergent. She said something else. But then instead I see on the cards points to Bowen before the next line. And I have never felt a more pure, even blend of horror and joy than that moment. It was so fucking It was the craziest moment of my life. I thought, I was like, nothing's going to be like you know, the first Lisa in terms of like, oh, because we're black, Like that was my soul left my body. This was something else, but just as thrilling and satisfying. I was just like, this is the craziest thing for Ago to point to me and say that line is fucking demonic and Alex English, I love you to death, but you are you are dast You're on burn Notice you're preemptively you guys got burned.
Speaker 2: Here's your notice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was so funny. What a great episode altogether. That was like I actually all my friends went out and I stayed home to like watch it because I was like, I needed a night off anyway, because we did game show on Friday, I went out Saturday.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to watch Ari.
Speaker 2: Well, I had to intel that there was going to be some special sketches, and I did want to see her live performances, and they were great. And I had serious fomo because I know that a lot of the a lot of girls were there. Yeah, and then I saw you guys playing What are you guys seeing karaoke or playing video games?
Speaker 1: Afterwards? What were you guys? We were saying karaoke in my office, But Ben Plat, Noah Galvin were there. I heard we were all hanging out in Nari's dressing room. After the show. She had to hop on a jet right to go right to La to go to the Oscars and getting glam. Yeah, she did not mix the after party. But she loves Josh and Air and she loves Dix the Musical. And I will reveal that Josh did did dare her. He goes, I will pay you one dollar if for best original song, you open up the envelope and say it's a tie between Dix the Musical and Theater Camp one dollar. She couldn't make that happen. She said, Okay, I'll think about it. Okay, just doing the bit obviously, but just being like, okay, yeah, let me let me.
Speaker 2: Anythink about how I can make that work. Anyway, It was a very it was a very fun night.
Speaker 1: But I'm in La next week for you know, undisclosed reasons having to do with the podcast maybe, but I want to go out. I want to have a night out with you, with my girl and the girls and the other girls maybe post drag race.
Speaker 2: That can be arranged. That can be arranged for sure. In fact, there is a there is something happening, so I'll talk to you off air about it. But just final words, I just want to say my best dress was a tie between Sondra Schuler and Mulligan care both Black was in, Black was in I thought they were stunning. Sandra Huler was giving me like glamorous, like movie star of yesteryear. I loved her sleek, pony's tail, hair, the shoulder, it was powerful.
Speaker 1: I thought she was a real winner.
Speaker 2: Her movies did amazing and she may not have won, but she looked incredible. I'm super like in awe of her and Carrie Mulligan looked unbelievable, so fucking chic and elegant, like the mermaid bottom of that dress, the gloves, like.
Speaker 1: The cutout scalloped, the scalloped thing. Oh, just so fucking gorgeous.
Speaker 2: She looked absolutely stunning, like for real, for real, I do I'm biased, but Cynthia and Urie looked amazing.
Speaker 1: Johnny ally fucking chic, cunty choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they looked very good together. I'm sure obviously that was like, you know, by design, yeah, representing.
Speaker 1: I do want to shout out Gucci did some beautiful dresses for Lily, for Lily Gladstone, oh yeah, for the show and for the Vanity Fair party. Like both of her dresses were fucking stunning and such beautiful homages or just like tributes to like Native dress, like just so beautiful, like the feather motif and that color for the Oscars down, I was like, oh, that's so stunning.
Speaker 2: The ear They're gorgeous, and I really feel like, you know, I feel like it's just the beginning and like, oh, it's truly us, and you know, they said they really want to host SNL.
Speaker 1: I would love for them to host SNL. I think they would be amazing. And I have tea not on Lily, but I will say I have on good authority that Lily's mother watches SNL every week and calls me her son, I'm gagging Lily Gladstone and mother says, my son is on. Look at my son. I'm Lily's brother.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is so gorgeous. Well, we're fans of Lily. Lily was performing some Killers of the Flower Moon was just beautiful, and there's gonna be much more.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about this Hulu show. I did not know they were the star of this Hulu show. I just only saw the preview during the Oscars and I was like, Oh, what's that has Riley Kyoh.
Speaker 1: Who's like he's so fucking good good. So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: And then I wanted to say two other things, which is I feel like we haven't really gotten to talk about this, but two things everyone should go see which are literally created by friends of ours and starring friends of ours. The first of which is The Emma Stone, produced, written and directed by Julio Torres.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: This was great fucking till the Switton's amazing and it like Julio has done it again, like Greta Titleman is in it, Greta Lee, j Sully, Riza, fucking you know what I mean, Like it's got such a great cast. Oh my god, River Ramirez, like.
Speaker 1: Just the funniest human like god, so good, I mean, you know, so good, just like I mean, gotta go see that one. And then of course we haven't even mentioned it, but oh Mary, oh Mary is I mean, if you're in New York and you're not fighting tooth and noil to go see this or you haven't already, you are not doing it right. The funniest theater ever I think, ever, it's so funny, like I mean, Cole Escola just incredible. There are idol and has always have been, like the best in the biz.
Speaker 2: Again James Kelly also in that a little moment for James Kelly lately and uh Conrad Rickmora and just the best. Like so you gotta go see old Mary. You will not be disappointed. It is so good.
Speaker 1: It feels with understudies by Peter Smith and Hannasolo good friends of ours as well. Yes, yes, all around, just great things, good peeps and all that and yeah, this was This was last colch, This was last college. This is a long episode of Last Coach. I know. We end with the song something of Bed is made for some bad made me go on. You picked her key too. You usually never do that. I never do that. For more of that, listened to Eternal Sunshine, Bye True Story. I'm not gonna do Bye Bye