Speaker 1: Hello there, Welcome to another episode of the Chuck Podcast. We have a fascinating set of guests for you today. It's the two New York Times reporters behind the uncovering of these I guess you might call them a sleeper Russian agents and how the country of Brazil essentially became an incubator for the You know, if you were a fan of the show of the Americans and this idea of the illegals and the actual program where you had these deep undercover spies that Russia will infiltrate various Western societies, well, way do you understand? And you're going to hear and they do a terrific job of telling you the story. But how Brazil and it sort of has unique ways of proving of being able to get a birth certificate, that it became basically ground zero for the Russians and for Putin's factctory to potentially and what's interesting is that it's possible this has been going on since before the end of the Cold War and in fact may have been sort of never It wasn't some a program that was quote unquote revived when Putin came into power that actually never ended, even as the Cold War ended. Anyway, It's a fascinating conversation. I hope you make time for it. It's a terrific It's why I'm releasing it on Thursday, because I think it's a terrific longer listen if you will. But before we get to that, I want to do a little bit of I've got my hands on polling in a couple of important states, Texas and Michigan, as well as some polling that I'm going to be dismissive of in South Carolina. I'll tell you that in a minute. And while both Texas and Michigan are very twenty twenty six oriented, there is I want to sort of sort of do a little big picture here and just say, you know, as we're sort of the leader of the Republican Party has put the Republican Party right now, and how Donald Trump is actually putting them and starting to make some of the same mistakes that leaders of previous you know, previous presidents have helped to create similar mistakes that have only led their party to losses, particularly in midterm years. Just think about what he's been talking about more over the last oh say, seventy two ninety six hours, right he spent Memorial Day weekend attacking Harvard. He compared himself to al Capone. He hyped his crypto business. His kids are out in Vegas doing more crypto business this week. His vice president was raising money from crypto guys. Didn't really mention fallen soldiers, particularly at West Point, used the West Point commencement address to rehash his personal legal grievances. The point is he was making it all about himself. And the thing with midterm elections is that presidents, you know, are even when they're not on the ballot, they composed the mood music of it, and they can have an impact on that. And this is sort of doubly a problem for the Republican Party because Donald Trump, you know, when his name's on the ballot, there are a group of voters that show up. But when his name's not on a ballot, these voters don't show up, and the voters that do show up are more are listening to the mood music that's being composed by Trump, and right now that is not in a good place for the midterms. And in fact, even if he gets his big agenda bill, the problem he's got is that there's no new deliverable. Right, there's not an extra tax cut, it's just keeping the tax bill the same. And it's hard to convince somebody, oh, it could have been worse if I didn't do it. And yet that's you know, he doesn't have a lot of wins. The one place where he has some wins is on the border, and it's not an insignificant thing. And I think that it's the one place that I think voters are pretty happy with how things are going. But look at the central issue of how he won this election. He won this election on prices in the economy. I think the border was second, but I think it was and I think when you think about these swing voters, they didn't swing on the border. Those swing voters swung on prices in the economy and the belief that Trump knew how to manage a better economy and a disbelief that Biden and Harris knew what they were doing on the economy. So he hasn't really focused on lowering prices because prices haven't been lowered. If anything, it feels as if prices are going to go back up right thanks to what's happening in what's happening with his with his unsteady tariff policy, So he's not looking forward, he's not addressing sort of the near term needs of the electorate or it economically, and he's not going to have to campaign on this. Other Republicans are going to be having to campaign on this, and they have to campaign defending this. They can't run as change candidates. And one thing I think we've learned is that we're perpetually in a change change cycle. It was a change election in six it was a change election in o eight, It's a change election in ten, and was not a change election in twelve as a term out or Mitt Romney would have won. But it was a change election in fourteen. It was a change election in sixteen. It was a change election in eighteen, so change election in twenty, so a change election in twenty two, and it was a change election in twenty twenty in twenty four. Do you see a pattern here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: We know what we don't want, and we're certainly not happy with incumbency in general, especially when it appears you've taken your eye off the ball. Right, George W. Bush and the Republicans got pummeled in six because in five and six after winning reelection in four on safety and security issues. He started focusing on social security, don't touch it. Then we got into these sort of weird, nuanced issues where government was getting involved in an end of life care the Terry Schivo If you want to know more about that, if you ahead and do your own Google and deep dive on Terry Schivo. But it really was sort of government, you know, getting too involved in your life, and it was the Republicans right doing that, and they and it and handed the Democrats the hey, get government out out of your life message. Do you see something similar happening here? Go read the most recent column of George Will, and he makes the case that the current version of the Republican Party has become as pro government and in some way as dictatorial of what government that government should tell you how to live your life, in the same way that he would criticize progressives for wanting to do similar things. In fact, he called it a progress said it's the most progressive administration we've ever had in the American presidency. Obviously, George Will, who's more of a limited government conservative, doesn't see his version of conservatism at all being represented by this wing of the Republican Party. And the problem is Trump is the party right for better or for worse. So he defines the party and we already know this. It is his version is not popular. He only succeeds when something is more unpopular standing next to him, and he won't be on the ballot. And yes, he'll try to revive Joe Biden, and they'll try to make that a issue. You already see some Republicans are trying to revise that the issue of the trans women in sports. That's the first ad and the Georgia Senate race that a Republican is running. So they certainly want to try to keep running on the culture wars of some sort. But it's going to be tough if Democrats actually focus on near term issues. Look, Democrats have you know, Barack Obama focusing on healthcare even though he was arguing that healthcare would help long term economic prospects, that did not answer the near term need that voters had when it came to the financial crisis, And why wasn't there more of a focus on that, and why wasn't there more you know, essentially old Testament justice when it came to the financial crisis, and so and I think that was among the explanations of why why Obama got Obama's party got their head handed to them in the twenty ten midterms and then, arguably to a lesser extent in twenty fourteen. So I don't think right now and this is a critical time. This isn't a random time to be bringing this up. This is a critical time for Republicans to be recruiting candidates for office, for Republicans to be convincing incumbents to run for reelection again. And when they look at the mood music that Donald Trump is composing, and they look at the at this big, beautiful bill that is not going to have a lot of things that are easy to sell to the public that feel responsive to their current needs. You know, maybe he figures out a way to write a check signed by Donald Trump to people. Maybe it'll be twenty bucks, whatever it is. He's going to try some gimmick like that, because they're going to have to try something like that. But these, you know, any changes to Medicaid are going to be unpopular. I think one thing we're going to learn is that Medicaid is as an untouchable. As I pointed out yesterday in the previous podcast is as untouchable as Social Security and Medicare. And I think that back of part of this is that Republicans have never been defenders of Medicaid before. They've been critics of the program for decades, and now that it's essentially universally popular, and because it is a safety net, not just if you if you're out of a job, but it's a safety net if you're stuck doing a job that doesn't offer benefits. It's also a safety net if you run out of money before before the end of your life. It is a safety net for a lot of Americans, not just Americans unquote unquote welfare. So with that, I just wanted to put that out there because I do think Donald Trump's not helping his party at all, and we have some initial polling to show, you know, his job. There's a new Texas poll that I think is a quite good poll, although I think it did a real poor job asking one question and I'll get to it, but Texas Southern University, the Barbara Jordan School, they put out a very uh and there. Look, there's not a lot of great polling in the state of Texas, but this is a pretty good one and has had a pretty good track record, and it measures the big stuff, including presidential job rating. In Texas. Okay, there's a red state. He's sitting at fifty three percent and they did her. If you could do a revote, Trump's fourteen point win over Harris would be down to eight. Now, part of that is we know that the midterm electorate is going to be less trumpy, right, Yet another reason for why Trump's inability to give to sort of deliver items that the voters are going to care about come the midterms is going to be a real challenge for them because it's electorate. As we know, the more focused you are on voting in a midterm, the less pro Trump you are. But just to give you a sense of because this is I think a pretty good standing. He's got a fifty three percent job approval, which again this is Texas, that's not the greatest. Forty seven percent in Texas are disapproving of the job he's doing. Now, his approval rating is higher on immigration than any other issue at fifty six percent, and this is the one issue that he has been pulling universally across the board. Has been given credit for that. Ironically, he was assisted by finally in the last year of his presidency, after a new chief of staff came in, Jeff Science, that allowed the Department of Homeland Security in Ali Mayorcus to actually do the job that they were trying to do in the first two years of the Biden administration, and for some reason the West wing or the president wasn't allowing them to do their job. But in many ways, the Biden administration gave Trump a head start at getting I mean, the cynic in me thinks that one of the reasons why Stephen Miller is pushing for rescinding some of these temporary protected status citations for different for different immigrants from different countries is so they can then drum up their deportation numbers, because once you pull away the protected status, then suddenly they're eligible for deportation. And clearly they care more about the metrics than than wanting to admit that Biden did seventy percent of the job for them before they got to it, because that's an uncomfortable truth that they would not want to admit. Here's what's also interesting in here is that Texas voters he's got a higher approval rating than his overall approval rating on the issue of reduction of the size of government. I think this is a reminder and Democrats need to be very careful here at how they go after Elon Musk. I think Elon Musk is unpopular. What Elon Musk was doing was not unpopular. Right. This gets at to what I've argued is a competency issue for this administration. Their goals are aligned with the voters, their ability to implement their goals are not, you know, is sort of incompetent. Right. They've done a terrible job on tariffs. They've done a terrible job on how you would actually cut government. There were ways to do this that they could have had congressional buy in a lot sooner, and they didn't do it. But the fact is the voters have noticed he got caught trying, and they're giving them credit for getting caught trying. But this is where you see the trouble spots where he's below that fifty three percent job eRating on specific issues in Texas, Trump is at fifty one on foreign policy, at forty nine on the economy, at forty five percent on tariffs. Okay, at and he's got a fifty one percent personal favorable rating, So I think it shows you what the warning signs are, right, And already voters, even in red Texas have decided he doesn't. He's not handling the economy well, and he's not handling tariffs well well. Tariffs and the economy to me are almost going to be conflated as one issue. This is a giant flashing red flag, red light, if you will, for Republicans, which probably does explain why the president keeps backing off these tariffs, right. And it's not just that he's shown the volatility in the bond markets bad for the economy, raises, mortgage rates, all those things. But then it's like, hey, buddy, people don't think you know what you're doing on the economy anymore. That was the singular reason voters chose the voters who were who were who weren't fans of him, but reluctantly voted for him. It was almost universally on the issue of the economy. One other note on the Texas poll in here on the Senate race, and by the way, a little request to my friends at Texas Southern University, which is they didn't do a three way matchup because what I really want to see is what is the strength of the corn voter when when Cornyn would be there and is an independent. I know he's not threatened as an independent, but if you really want to see the strength of the Republican brand in Paxton, the Democratic brand and Colin all read and where the middle is right, who were the persuadable voters? If you asked a three way general election race for for for social science purposes to my professor friends of Texas State, Texas Southern, you would get a better understanding of who the who the group of voters that are the most movable right, the group of voters that picked corn And when given the other two choices, I think will tell you who the who the swing voters are. So I think it's a it's a missed opportunity to truly identify an easier way to entify. But what's interesting here John Cornyan has the lowest favorable rating among Republicans than any of the other Republican candidates tested. He is the highest unfavorable rating among Republicans than any the only one that's over thirty percent unfavorable. Now Trump's endorsement, it would matter to seventy plus percent of primary voters. That's a big deal. I have a feeling Trump's going to endorse both Conan Impacston, and he's going to pull an air. You know. One of the things Trump does is that he is that is that if he if he is afraid of letting somebody down, he will then just endorse both candidates. He's done that in a handful of races. I suspect he will do that here. For what it's worth, I think it's fascinating that Congressman Wesley Hunt, when he's included in the race, he immediately is able to get fifteen percent. The fact is, I think Cornan and the question I have is, and it's going to get me to another poll here in a minute. Incumbency may be as big of a problem for Cornin as not being maga enough is. And I think that, you know, I think being an incumbent, whether you're a D or an R, is going to be a negative to most voters in twenty twenty six. I think there's a real disillusionment with the with the political power in both parties. I mean, at the end of the day, you have a lot of voters who didn't like the fact that their choices were going to be Biden and Trump, and that was due to the lack of leadership in either party to do something about it. And I think there's going to be you know, there's going to be a lot of openness to alternative candidates to incumbents, whether that's in third party candidacies. And I'm going to tell you about a minute in Michigan or it's about it's about primaries. But the fact is John Cornyn's in deep trouble. If he can figure out how to win this primary, he's going to win reelection. But I don't know if he can win this primary. When you start to look at his fundaments, because he's not it's not going to be an even you know, even if he has it at best, he can hope for an even financial playing field. Now I will say this, It is worth noting that John corn hired Chris Losovita, who is one of the architects of Donald Trump's successful twenty twenty four reelection. And las Avita knows how to I've pointed this out before. He knows how to play ball, and he knows how to play ball in a primary when necessary, and he's a tough He's one of your tougher players on the playing field there, but Cornyn has an uphill battle. And you know, all of them in matchups with various Democrats, whether veter or a Roora, Colin Allred, or Joaquim Castro, those are the three Democrats they tested. None of them lead any of the Republican nominees, but all of them are within single digits. Even if Cornin's a nominee. Clearly Paxton is the weakest candidate. He tests the weakest. He only has a two point lead over all. Read So there's no doubt that the premier Republican primary in the country right now is going to be this Texas Senate primary. And let's just say, just as a political junk, I'm here for it. It's going to be a fabulous race. I can't wait. I'm going to be going down there in the fall to get my own flavor of that. But it's going to be great. Another poll that came out over the last twenty four hours is one in Michigan. My friends at the Detroit at the Chamber of Commerce put out their big pole going into mckinaw Island, which is their big political policy conference. It takes place up there on Mcina Island, which, by the way, is a fabulous the one of the probably one of the best best islands that isn't surrounded by saltwater that you can find anywhere in this hemisphere. It is a fascinating place. But the whole Michigan political world is going to be there, and what they found is shocking strength, I think for Mike Duggan as an independent candidate in all of the matchups. So in the gubernatorial race there the mayor of Detroit is running. He's got high name ID in Metro Detroit, low name ID everywhere else, but as a baseline, in every matchup, he starts in the low twenties. And it doesn't matter whether he's matched up against Jocelyn Benson, who's the runaway front runner on the Democratic side, who's the current Secretary of State, or John James, who's a congressman who's the runaway frontrunner on the Republican side, whoever is matched up there, Dougan is sitting at twenty to twenty one percent. What's interesting, he's also the only candidate tested in this poll that had positive ratings among Democrats, positive ratings among independents and positive ratings among Republicans. Right, Jocelyn Benson had positive ratings among Democrats but not Republicans. James among Republicans but not Democrats. So I will just say this, Duggan starts out in a shockingly strong position. And again, in this idea of an anti incumbency place, you're going to have a sitting member of Congress who's running for governor on the Republican side and a sitting statewide officeholder on the other side. Him being able to sort of run again the establishments of both parties is sitting there, and already voters view him in a sort of less partisan way. They don't see him he's a former Democrat, yet he's not somehow viewed more as a Democrat by Republicans. Everybody sees him more as an independent figure. The point is this dug and race is real, This three way race is real. Be paying attention to that, that's for sure. And then finally, another poll that I want to make note of in order to be dismissive of, and that is you may have seen some numbers about Lindsay Graham potentially in a closer than expected race. It was sort of a poll that was just released via press release only to sort of right wing media that wrote it up as if it was a serious poll. But it looked like there was some push language in there, in meaning like, you know, do you want to vote for Lindsay Graham, who's been an entrenched incumbent for twenty five years? Do you want to vote for this fresh businessman named Lynch over here? And even you know, sort of having where they clearly it appears that they sort of pushed the electorate a little bit or sort of created the as good of conditions as you can. Graham still leads in a primary. Yes, it's under fifty percent, but he already already has Trump's endorsement. So I don't buy that South Carolina poll number. I certainly want to see a more legitimate polling organization to come out with another set of numbers before I will buy into the idea that Lindsey Graham, who is you know in theory, has supposedly been vulnerable to a primary for the last twenty years, including I'm old enough to remember when a young woman named Nancy Mace planned to primary him just fresh out of the citadel. So I am I'll believe that when I see some more polling to see it. So with that, I want to take a break and when you come back, this fascinating conversation how Brazil became the incubator for the Russian illegal the next Americans may have been born in Brazil. It's a weird way of putting it. Huh. Just listen to the interview and you'll get it. Well. Joining me now our two reporters from the New York Times. It's Michael Schwartz and Jane Bradley. And if you're like me and we're a fan of the TV show, back when we watched things on channels, I know we don't do that anymore, but we used to watch things on channels. It was on Fax. It was called The Americans, and it was about this fictitious spy program where Russian said Soviet Union had infiltrated and had these sort of home grown spies and they so assimilated into American culture that no one saw what they were actually up to. It's made a lot of us that have watched that program very suspicious. For instance, of travel agencies, are they all just fronts? Since the Big Front organization, there was a travel agency well. In the New York Times earlier this month, there was a fascinating story by these two reporters, Michael and Jane, about a real life version of this, where it is Brazil that is still apparently an incubator, if you will, for this now Russian program of essentially growing spies, getting them alternative identifications, Brazil being in a tremendous place to do it, and it makes a lot of sense to me if you've ever spent any time in Rio. But the story reads like a real life like it's now, you know, the Americans twenty first century. Addition, So Michael and Jane, welcome to the podcast, and thanks for humoring me on.
Speaker 3: This, thanks for having us, Thanks tov.
Speaker 1: So look and you tell me which one who's who originally had this story. I know you've worked together. One of you worked one angle, one of you worked the other. But give me, give me the sort of origin story of your tip, the reporting, and what sort of got you to the point where you started unraveling this larger story, obviously with the help of some sources in the Brazilian with Brazilian federal investigators.
Speaker 2: Sure you want to tell them the story?
Speaker 3: It's your tip you tell us story.
Speaker 2: This story basically starts with the invasion of Ukraine by Russia and twenty two. I was covering that war, but at the same time I started noticing these reports of various arrests and discoveries of deep cover Russian spies all over the world, in Greece and Italy, some in Latin America.
Speaker 1: And so let me pause you there. So right after the invasion, countries all over the world world, we're double checking, Hey, do we have any Russian spies in our midst is that was? It?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: It like almost like a global APB went out.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what That's what I wanted to know. We were you know, as often happens, we sort of get the information side of things and then want to dig deeper and find out what was going on here. So yeah, I said, you know, as as overtly states were banding together, banding together and imposing sanctions and cutting off a Russian access to their countries, mostly in the West, I wondered if there was sort of a covert spy war going on, where where spy services around the world We're going and trying to get uh, these Russian deep cover operatives that had stationed all over the world, and I started asking around about this and at some point, just the long story short on this and where the tip came from, one of my sources at one point came to me and said, oh, by the way, did you know that the Brazilians have uncovered a bunch I was operating there, and they're about to do this crazy thing. They're about to out them to the Interpol Service, which is this global policing network, and basically destroyed their career. And I said, I haven't heard about that, but I know somebody who knows a lot of people at Interpol, and so I turned to Jane, who helped me start digging into this problem.
Speaker 4: And there was an extraordinary moment at the start of this investigation. So it started off with four names we had that Mike had got from his source and as well as some interpolse sources. It did have some connections to the Brazilian police, so we asked around there as well, and we had this first meeting with a key Brazilian source on this and we came away from that meeting knowing there were nine names. And that was quite extraordinary because at the beginning we thought, okay, you know this is a pattern.
Speaker 3: Here's the name of four.
Speaker 4: But with nine, we decided this is a much bigger story than we first thought.
Speaker 1: So you're sitting there it's nine. First of all, well, color me a little bit surprised that the Brazilians decided to be so aggressive against the Russians. Brazilians in some ways are almost pride themselves of being unaligned, right. They love being able to say, hey, we've got good relations with the United States, with China, with Russia. They're part of the brick countries, right, the alternative economic engine, right, brick standing for Brazil, Russia, Indian and China. Were you surprised, Jane, at how aggressive the Brazilian FEDS were being on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was completely surprised.
Speaker 4: So for context, like my Brazilian police sources or the introductions came from my interpoal reporting and reported on this election, and who.
Speaker 3: Would be the new leader of Interpol, And you.
Speaker 4: Had the Brits running in one corner and you had a Brazilian candidate Aldesuu Kuifa running in.
Speaker 3: And the corner.
Speaker 4: Though, like the whole center point of the Brazilians campaign was that, hey, we put politics aside, We're politically neutral, unbiased, like we will represent all countries as part of Interpol.
Speaker 3: So then, you know, when I went to the Brazilians.
Speaker 4: On after getting this tip about these spies, I didn't know whether they would talk to us honestly about it, because of the political sensitivities around speaking out about this kind of thing against Russia, and the police of sources. Intelligence sources we spoke to were just incredibly open from the beginning, and.
Speaker 3: I think it shocked me.
Speaker 4: But I think that speaks to just how honestly annoyed and pissed off they were, how Russia had exploited you know, Brazilians, Brazil's kind of political neutrality and the fact they tried not to take sides and have been relatively friendly, and yet here they were kind of exploiting Brazilian territory to train up build these curve identities for the spies before they went off elsewhere. And what was also interesting is when as we were chatting to the police officers, the Brazilian police officers, they all kind of explained, look, there is a split between the government in Brazil and the politics of Brazil and the police. We're here to do the police work, but others will be more concerned politics.
Speaker 1: So look, the conclusion you come from this is that Brazil is the main incubator, because that was what was amazing out of here. It wasn't this wasn't just about infiltrating Brazil. It was just Brazil was an easy place to create cover identities to then launch these folks everywhere. And you know when you said Brazil, I grew up in Miami, and I remember the first time I went to Rio, because you have this this phenomenon in Miami, which is you can't assume based on how somebody looks where they're from in Miami more so than in really until I went to Rio, right, which was another one of these, And you know when geographic locations matter, right, And this is a very international city. It is truly a melting pot city. Brazil's a melting pot country, just like South Florida is a melting pot area. And so then when you started, when I started putting together my own picture of this, you're like, actually, Brazil's a brilliant place to do this because you can take any Russian and sort of make a claim. Ah, they're sort of half this half half half. I mean in Brazil, you're a little bit of everything when it comes there, so just sort of culturally in the history of the of the of sort of civilization, civilized development of Brazil, it ended up being brilliant.
Speaker 2: And I think this is something you have to understand about the Russians, and in particular as regards this spy program, their legal spy program. They're planning for these things is meticulous. Sometimes, you know, the the operations themselves can be botched, and sometimes spectacularly. We all remember the poisoning of Sergei Scripall, where they had sort of left this highly toxic residue all over the place and killed somebody and really caused an incredible international incident, which, by the way, is probably one reason so many countries were able to so quickly spring into action after the invasion is because the groundwork was laid following the Scriptball poisoning in twenty eighteen. But we tend to focus on their spectacular failures, but the planning that these intelligence operatives put into this, and it's not just the operatives themselves, it's the whole embassy apparatus that goes into laying the groundwork for these people to operate it's incredibly meticulous and incredibly well thought out.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing like this, you imply that this was decades in the making, not years, but decades.
Speaker 4: Explain well, that's one of the things that the Brazilian police are looking at.
Speaker 3: So they don't know.
Speaker 4: They don't as yet, but at the end, towards the end of our investigation, we checked in with our Brazilian sources and in April, they had this forensic analysis come back on the birth certificates of all nine Russian spies who'd been using Brazilian cover identities. They all had these Brazilian birth certificates, and they were shocked because they expected the results to show that these bersertificates had been adopted, they've been tampered with, that someone had come in in recent years and created these fake identities. But actually what the forensic analysis suggests was that there was no evidence of any tampering, Like the ink was normal, the paper was normal, like, there was none of the tampering the Brazilians expected to find because until that point they'd assumed they'd been working on the hypothesis that the Russians had managed to obtain these birth certificates through corrupt officials, like Brazil is decentralized, it's open, it's vulnerable to corruption, So that is what they'd expected to find. So now the focus of their investigation is how did the Russians do it and did they really plant these in the wake of the Cold War.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing you imply in your piece was that you know it in your piece is how easy it is to actually get a birth certificate in Brazil. Explain that. I mean, when you the minute I read that, you're like, oh, how many other countries are like this? And is Brazil unique in this situation? Explain the birth certificate process.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if it's completely unique Brazil, but it's definitely unusual in that. So most countries, like the US, like the UK, to get a birth certificate, you need a signature, a witness there who's a doctor or a hospital to sign off someone from a hospital and off to say yes, this child was born here on this day under this name. In Brazil, mostsive certificates are done that way. But there is this kind of n niche exemption, kind of a loophole of you like that allows anyone to just present two witnesses they don't have to be a doctor or anything like that and just say, yeah, I saw this baby.
Speaker 1: Two random people. You could just bring a couple of people, throw them some rubles. Hey, you just need to swear in front of this official that you witnessed this birth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they probably don't even know what they're doing. That's what the Brazilian said. And the reason that exemption exists was to accommodate these rural parts of Brazil whether or no doctors, are no hospitals, and babies are routinely born without without any kind of medical support.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: One of the areas the I'm investigating is to try and find out was that why Brazil was targeted or was that one of the reasons why it made it a weak target.
Speaker 1: So your story, I assume, has probably triggered a lot of other countries to do some double takes, to do some deeper dives. What are you hearing? What kind of you know? Have you gotten any new tips since the peace ran?
Speaker 2: What are we allowed to talk about all of it? Come on, yes, yes, we have ex and we're looking into it.
Speaker 1: Status multiple countries, I would assume.
Speaker 2: A few, in particular in Latin America. It seemed that it seems that Latin America has been a target of of this type of program for the Russians for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a tip for them. It's been going on for decades. It's been going on since the fifties. Like we've been fighting a cold We fought a cold war over this stuff in Latin America for quite some time. I mean, how when you were working on this story, did you work with any of the investigators that broke up the Ring of Americans? I want to say, was that about twenty ten, twenty eleven, if memory serves, And how similar was that program to this and were do we know were those folks incubated in America or were they actually incubated in other countries and then sent to America.
Speaker 2: So that program was a little bit different, and we didn't we hadn't talked to the investigators from that for this story, but it did serve as a reference for us doing our research, and it was a bit different. And you know those aside aside from a few of them, Uh, there there were a key Uh, there were a key couple who were based in Boston who indeed were incubated in fact in Canada and presented as Canadian citizens who then moved to Boston and really well were really well integrated into into the society in Boston. Uh. But for most of them are a significant number of those individuals from the twenty ten case in the United States, they were not posing as anybody. They were posing as Russians. They were they were. There was a there was one Russian student the most of Chapman was UH, and she didn't hide the fact that she was Russian, but she claimed that she was in the United States doing business. And they were hiding the fact that they were spies, of course, but they weren't hiding the fact that they were Russians. And that's why this case in Brazil was so different, because every one of the individuals that we tracked down, their goal would come Brazilian. They wanted to shed their Russian identities and create an entire Brazilian backstory.
Speaker 1: And the whole goal was not to infiltrate Brazil per se. It was then they were going to get. The assumption was they'd be transferred to a more useful country, correct, And.
Speaker 2: Several of them were transferred to countries. You know, one of them was posing as a researcher, a Brazilian researcher in the Norwegian Arctic. Another one went to the Middle East, some others went to Portugal, and so yeah, their goal was to then move on to the rest of the world and pose as Brazilians while conducting espionage for Russia. And one made it to the United States, as we pointed out in the article, and even gone to Johns Hopkins University and was preparing to This is probably the more successful case that of City Chef and was on the verge of starting an internship at the Hague at the International Criminal Court, which had been incredible because it was around the time that the court was starting to open human rights war crimes cases against Russia for the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Did the Brazilian officials get any of these folks? They were they successful in arresting any of these folks or did they all flee the country?
Speaker 4: One of them they got, so gay check us off. He is the only one they managed to get. And he was the most successful at the spies probably when they arrested him.
Speaker 1: What makes it? What what do you when you say the most successful of the spies just because he was about to be launched to America, to the Hague.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: So any got a master's degree from John Hobbins University posing.
Speaker 4: As a Brazilian and he had completed like on as these the covers spent about like seven to eight years building their cover identities before you know, being dispatched as by use where and Sagay had completed he'd been there about eight years right where some of the other spies seemed to have been interrupted when they were still in the process of building their identities, like a couple in Portugal, like they had Brazilian birth certificates but hadn't yet got passports or they were trying to get citizenship elsewhere, when suddenly, you know, these global intelligence agencies and the Brazilians kind of jumped on them.
Speaker 1: You may think there's a weird question, but there's a part of me like did he do his own homework at Johns Hopkins? Was there a team of FSB operatives that like did his thesis for him? Or was he the did he do his own academic work? I mean, I know that seems like a silly question, but you're just curious as to how how much did they sell it? You know, did they get help with the work or do they actually do the academics themselves.
Speaker 2: I mean, I you know, we didn't. We didn't spend a lot of time on this case in the story, but because because some of the details are pretty well known. But he did use his position as a student to get close to academics who who were close to you know, the Johns Hopkins University is very uh, the professors that are very tight with the Washington establishment. So he did use his contacts. I can't remember off the top of my head all of the people he was uh accused of buddying up to, But he did use his positions as a student to get close to people in the government and government adjacent academics. Whether or not he did.
Speaker 1: The thing, that's somewhat str.
Speaker 2: And No, I know, that's it.
Speaker 1: Like these are the questions. I hope we get one that like will confess one day, you know, tell us all about the program. I mean, have serving I know there has there been Has any investigative agency actually gotten any of these folks to talk or are they almost always like I believe we've traded some of these folks back to the Russians as they've kidnapped Americans, so we you know, I'm guessing we haven't broke these people.
Speaker 2: I don't think think that they would expect a very warm welcome back in Moscow should they eventually be traded. If they were to spill a bunch of information because.
Speaker 1: They got caught, well there's that right, if they were spelling information. But did they automatically Are they automatically in trouble just for getting caught.
Speaker 2: We don't know of any example of anyone being punished upon going back, I mean publicly anyway, we know that you know, Putin, if you if we're talking about the trade that occurred last August, that Evan Gershkovich, the Wall Street General border two deep cover legals that we're posing as Argentinians who are rested in Slovenia. We're part of that swap. And you know, Putin greeted them on the tarmac and gave one of the bouquet of flowers, and they've been the sort of subject of glowing coverage in the Russian media. So you know what happens behind closed doors, got you know, got only knows. But publicly anyway, these people are really praised and sort of you know, presented as heroes when they get back to Russia.
Speaker 4: One of the most interestant things for me on this investigation is like, like Michael said, like these spies are Putin's elite spies as premiere, like the pride and joy of Russia, and he has this kind of romantic idea around about them. They are held up as like, you know, these kind of heroes, if you like, and they're promised they when they sign up this thing that's kind of exciting life where you're going to be working abroad, serving Mother Russia. But as part of our investigation, we kind of got hold of some texts between a couple of the spies, some messages from between certainly check us off and a handler, and in particular these texts between two spies, a guy called Schmirov and his Russian wife also had a Brazilian girlfriend who didn't know about the Russian wife.
Speaker 1: That was an amazing part. So here they were both married couples doing their own thing, right, like you know, very much right. I felt like a plot line out of the Americans.
Speaker 4: It did, It did, And what these tech show I think is so interesting because you've gotten this, you know, on the outside there's this idea of this glamorous life of a spy that's you know, held up higher regard and actually the tech show that's really personal and often frustrating side not only but also maintaining a long distance relationship. These texts basically show like Artiam complaining about his lot, really about not being where he wanted to be in life by his middle thirtieth year.
Speaker 3: You know, no, no, no relationship, not where he wants to be.
Speaker 1: And millennials are millennial, right, no matter where what they're doing.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just but his wife, you know, his wife. I'm with his wife.
Speaker 4: She basically tells him to get a grip and says, look, this is a life life we've chosen. If you wanted a normal family life, this is the life for you. She does kind of say, like, yes, this life is not as we were told. They're basically tricking people into it, and it's bad. But we found that a really interesting kind of contrasting image to what's kind of publicly out there about the life of these deepcovers.
Speaker 2: Wild to hear to at least see a bunch of spies bitching about their employder.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's kind of actually it's actually reassuring. Right, You're just like, okay, it's it's a job, right, like you know, it's a job just like any other. You know, you're gonna have you have a We all have a boss, right, that's always the joke. Well, we are to report to somebody.
Speaker 4: We all have expenses. We can't get approved. These messages checkers off to his handler. He's asking for money for to buy an apartment, and he's complaining about basically having to stay with a friend of his whose wife isn't happy.
Speaker 1: Is he paid attention to how much this war with ukrate's costing. I mean, the Russian coffer is not doing so well, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's why that's why they wanted to give him only the cheapest apartment.
Speaker 1: Right. You got to be careful you treat your right. So look, one of the things that I think is one of the odder ways that we cover espionage, and I say we the collective we is we're always very like shocked in g whiz about what other countries do. And then there's like no mention of what we do. I you know, there's you know, do we do this? Do we incubate in other countries?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: In some ways America the melting pot. We're there's no better place to recruit potential spies for infiltration into other countries than right here in the good old US of us of A. You know, I I think we'd be naive to assume we don't do this. But are we as sophisticated about it or as obsessed with it as the Russians?
Speaker 2: I think I think, you know, one way to think about this as sort of an HR issue.
Speaker 1: I just love that you just said that sentence. You one way to look at this is like an HR issue. I also wait to see where this is going, because that's where I was going an HR issue. But anyway, go tell us about healthcare benefit.
Speaker 2: It kind of comes down to who gets to be called what? Right in Russia, you know the it's the officers who are the ones that are infiltrating these countries and shedding their identities and trying to lend in with the local population. Perhaps you know the CIA, I six, they do some of this, but it's really hard to become a nationality that you didn't grow up in. And rather than spend the time, energy and resources doing that and using their trained officers to do that they go out and find what are called agents in the intelligence parlance. And these are going to be locals who know the customs, who speak the language.
Speaker 1: You're saying, we're more likely to use a double agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they would be. There's some there's confusion about the term double agent, a double a hr again about this working both sides. The agent is just this, just the guy a CIA officer uses to get intelligence. They do the ground.
Speaker 1: You and I might call them sources. Yeah, you might as journalists, right, you just say just a source guy I talked to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's our guy in the Foreign Ministry who sits in on a meeting that I want to know about, and you know, we meet afterwards and he tells me about it. And I may be posing as like an American businessman in Angola, you know, you know, you know, doing whatever I'm doing, But really I'm a CIA officer meeting with you know, some some you know, uh and goal and official in the Foreign Ministry to get information about what you know about the Russians they're meeting with, for instance. Uh, it's it's uh, you know my my, My Western intelligence sources assure me they don't have budgets to devote to the kind of intensive training and time and resources that are required to actually do the things that the Russian illegals do, and they would say that a lot of that is just counterproductive.
Speaker 1: Do we think this Russian illegal program is only still alive because it's because Putin's in charge of that country And there's sort of a romantics He's romanticizes it because in this day and age of communication, of technology, of frankly, it's impossible to hide all right, right, you know, every place is frankly under surveillance, whether your country is free or less free. However you want to look at it, that this really is just sort of almost like Putin just loves this and he keeps it going.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of it. I think I really do think that that Putin really and he's spoken openly about this. You know, Putin loves these spies. They are to him kind of the patriot he is.
Speaker 1: Right, you are? I mean, look, I mean, you know, I love me a good political reporter that started covering house races. Why well that's what I started to do, right in many ways, you you know, why does Donald Trump love other fellow real estate developers, right, he hires them as envoys. Right. It's actually not a it's actually a normal in some ways, a normal behavior that he wants to lionize what he believed he did.
Speaker 2: Even more than that, these are the people he wanted to become and and didn't. He didn't quite measure up. Was it good enough as an intelligence officer, And it's sort of the people he idea. It's I think he got into intelligence, if you read his biographies, he got into intelligence work kind of wanting to become one of these people, and he just sort of never measured up. But he he lionizes them, and I think that's one reason it keeps going though those some sources of mine have pushed back now, particularly since the Ukraine War started, and the origins of the legals program go back to the Soviet Union, the very start of the Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: Well, in fact, in this piece you imply it's possible that the seeds of this Brazilian program goes back to the Cold.
Speaker 2: War, right, right, I mean the entire the entire legals program goes back to this time when the Soviet Union didn't have many representations, They didn't countries, didn't recognize the Soviet Union in the years right it was founded, and.
Speaker 1: They didn't have embassies and councilates to just sort of house people, right, yeah, in infiltry countries, right, And you're right.
Speaker 2: One of the extraordinary things that we haven't quite established yet, but that we're looking into in the Brazilian government is looking into, is that these birth certificates that are the lynchpin of the identities that these buys have adopted in Brazil were in fact planted in the waning days of the Soviet Union. And this is because the forensic analysis shows that the ink and the paper used in these birth certificates way back right matches matches the birth certificates that were put into these files in the eighties. And when you talk to experts on Soviet espionage, very few of them should I should say I have heard of anything like this happening, but they do say that it really fits with the modus operendi, particularly of the Soviet KGB during the Cold War. They would do this type of long term planning as a way essentially think of what was going on in the late nineteen eighties. Their entire world was crumpled, an entire edifice upon which the KGB was built. This confrontation with the West was coming to an end, and it's not hard to imagine an enterprising KGB officer to saying, look, I'm going to plant the seeds for future conflict. This is not going to last. This experiment with democracy that we're doing. I'm going to have the seeds so that just in case my colleagues thirty forty years in the future can come back and have.
Speaker 1: It's extraordinary if it was done right, the chances you think you can prove.
Speaker 4: That that's what the PASILI is right now, that's what they're trying to do. But yeah, it's extraordinary, and it would make it one of the most most extraordinary long forward planning esperonage operations and in modern history.
Speaker 1: I think I am curious of the Brazilian governments. You said that there was sort of a sort of Brazilian police, right who sort of you know, strike me. It's no different than running into an FBI guy who goes, God damn it. It's right and wrong. I don't care who's in charge of me. Politically, this is wrong. I'm pursuing it versus But I also look at this and if you're you know, if you're a Brazilian high up in Brazilian government, you have to realize that the world does think that it's easy to do shady things in Brazil. And you know that isn't a reputation as it tries to move from third world to first world it wants to have. So I wonder if they're actually extra motivated to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 4: And look, the police officers investigators who dug into this the same as the same unit account intelligence unit the federal police who investigated Bolscenaro over.
Speaker 3: The alleged coups.
Speaker 4: So they've got history of putting aside politics and focusing on.
Speaker 1: And they also went after Lula too, Right, isn't this the same? I mean, look, the rule of law. I've had some political science colleagues of mine say, you know, hey, you know, Brazil's rule of law is sturdier than we give it credit for.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that is born out in this case. I mean it's telling we went around to sort of the political leadership in the country before this article came out, seeking comment, and this is just the time when the president Lula is in Moscow for the eightieth anniversary of the of the end of World War Two, for.
Speaker 1: Putin's sending Trump a message at hey, I'm not afraid of hanging out with him exactly.
Speaker 2: And and I don't think it's any surprise that nobody sort of on the political side got back to us all told by visuals and nobody's gonna nobody's gonna touch this right now while the president is in Moscow. But nobody, as far as we're told, interfered in this investigation either.
Speaker 4: No, And that's one point I wanted to make as well, like, yes, you know, the fact that investigation you know, did, did go ahead and was so successful.
Speaker 3: And I think the Brazilians know that. Okay, they have this reputation as being a.
Speaker 4: Corrupt country, and here you've got this pretty extraordinary team of cops investigating pretty you know, pretty fearlessly a case of you know, basically Russia into exploiting Brazil. And you have to have some level of buy in or cooperation or at least not obstruction, I think, from a political level to be able to.
Speaker 3: Do what they've done.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't know if you guys want to delve into this or go make David Sayger, come on and answer this question. But I'm half kidding, but I look at this program in Brazil and to me, I just say, once again an American failure in Latin America, that our inability to be full partners with Latin American countries and full trading partners and sort of you know, having better relations that in some ways we open ourselves up to not so friendly actors to take advantage of our sort of when I say, are the United States the United States? Sort of? I don't want to say we were dismissive of Latin America, but we're just never as engaged in Latin America as you think we should be. And and you do you sense any of that? And again I'm not asking you guys to be, you know, foreign policy experts here, but you're you're both covering international stories like this. Is this far fetched to me? Linking this or you know, if we had better relationship with Brazil, would we have seen this kind of behavior?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that could be. But we'll remind you that this whole investigation was launched by a tip from the CIA.
Speaker 1: So interesting, Okay, so this was this was in some ways Americans that this was going on. Okay, well, we've always known this stuff was going on, right, It's it's choosing when they think they can act, right exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the interesting option.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and and and and and we were aware of a lot of intelligence help that the Brazilians got when they were looking into this case. But but uh, you know, with with these intelligence stories, it's really difficult because we don't know. Oftentimes it is more advantageous for an intelligent service to discover the operations of an enemy intelligence service and just let them do.
Speaker 1: With don't want to expose it, right, I mean, that is the surprise, because you actually want to see, let's see what they do with this. Let's keep following these people. Maybe it leads to something bigger.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it's always a difficult decision to expose one of these things because I think the tendency is to want to you know, the uh, the the spies that were arrested in the United States in twenty ten, the FBI had been watching them for a decade, and you know, you can imagine the sort of crushing psychological effect that had on these spies who thought that they were sort of operating for the Motherland for so long to find out that the FBI had been watching them for a decade of their careers. And so we don't really know how long the CIA and others might have been watching this go on, and what in fact triggered triggered them to act at this at this juncture. Maybe was the Ukraine War and in order sort of from politically to go after these people, like show us some results that you're wrapping up some of these spies. Maybe something else happened that caused them to move.
Speaker 1: But I assume you guys are pulling a lot of threads. What are the various threads you're trying to get at here to see because that, you know, it would be nice to know what triggered why did the CIA make this call? Why?
Speaker 2: Now, that's what the threads we're pulling. I mean, we you know, would desperately love to if any are listening, talk to any of these people. I've sent some messages out to numbers I think belonged to them in Russia. They've left me on red. Uh.
Speaker 1: That's a tough interview, right, because how do you know if they're telling you the truth or if you're being used. I've always found that that's a right.
Speaker 3: So we can figure it out.
Speaker 2: But I'm with you, that's a lot of our interviews.
Speaker 1: Not just I was just going to say that's sometimes domestic reporters are having this problem. But I digress. But anyway, Well, is this, uh, how much is this story taking up your bandwidth versus other stuff? And is this more of this is now in the rear view mirror or is this still this is still on your front burners?
Speaker 3: No, I think it's still definitely interested in this.
Speaker 4: Like you said, there's a lot of mysteries and unanswered questions around the investigation. It's funny when I'm when I came onto the story with with Michael, initially, he was like, I don't know how interest sing it is.
Speaker 3: He does so many spy stories that you.
Speaker 4: Kind of became defensitized to just how extraordinary story.
Speaker 1: You come in and go, oh my god, this is a TV show's back Who owns the rights? Right? Have you guys made money on that yet? No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: Allows now the New York Times, Yeah, well, well, isn't it.
Speaker 1: By the way they the way they parlay this stuff, I assume a Hulu streaming episodic show is coming soon, right, you know, Well, if it.
Speaker 4: Gets out to more any of the spies to reach out to us, great, But no, it is.
Speaker 3: It's one of them.
Speaker 4: It's probably the most interesting, fascinating story that I've worked on. And I think there's definitely, you know, like you said, answers to chase down.
Speaker 3: So we're still on it.
Speaker 1: So, Michael, you were in Ukraine cover in the war. When was the last time you were in country there?
Speaker 2: I was there about a year a little less a little less than a year ago, so so my my information is not as fresh.
Speaker 1: Right, No, And and do you expect to go back or how did that a few weeks I'll go back, I think, you know, I'd love for you to share sort of how does the times rotate so that you know, so that you know, no one person is frankly getting you know, getting desensitized to war at any given time, So how do you how do you prevent that?
Speaker 2: I mean, at the beginning of the war, we had a pretty we had a pretty regular rotation. I was in for about six seven weeks and then would come out for about three four weeks and then go back in again. They like you to get a break our bureau chief has been there since the very beginning. I mean he comes out as well on a rotation, but he's been overseeing the story since the beginning. But since then, I think among the original team who was reporting when the war started, I think only our bureau chief, Andrew cran is still on the story, along with our very many dedicated Ukrainian colleagues who live there.
Speaker 1: And are you guys in Russia or not? These days we just had.
Speaker 2: A couple of reporters in the country. It's it's, uh, it's very dicey. We normally like to go in when there's sort of a specific event, uh to cover, particularly if it's as if it's a holiday. So we had we had reporters in there, uh covering the May ninth, the victory day, uh celebration.
Speaker 1: In some ways, if there's a lot of eyeballs and it'd be it would be pretty that's pretty good form to Yanka reporter. You know, is that the idea that you would assume that I was.
Speaker 2: I was having these conversations, you know, in the first year of the war, before Evan was arrested, with our colleagues and with Evan as well, about sort of what what is possible? And what what what is impossible? And I think, you know, uh, we all thought, you know, the arrest of an American reporter is probably probably, you know, pretty unlikely, and so keep going in as it was probably uh uh probably an okay risk to take. But as as as evans arrest showed, you know, we were we were all wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask this, you know, get based on the experience, would you recommend any American to travel to Russia these days if you have an American.
Speaker 2: No, uh, and that and that's that's a different answer than maybe I would have given, uh, even a year or two ago. I think I think Evan's arrest really affected me. And I also think the Russian government has changed, uh, it has become I mean, you know, the Russian government is always sort of notoriously callous. They have become much more vicious and and and and uh difficult to barter with. Plus, I think at the moment we have I don't think I'm saying anything to sort of politically incorrect or opinion it, but we have at the moment an administration that I didn't fight very hard in the in the United States to get an American uh, certainly not an American reporter out maybe depending on the American and they might put some export into it. They have negotiated the release of Sudden.
Speaker 1: No. I mean you're You're not wrong, You're like, is is you know, well, this administration decide, you know, whether someone's friendly enough to them to help right that they that they make they make a decision based on that, not just simply based on an American citizen was was illegally detained. Well, look, it's a it's a great story. And if you, like I said it was, you you sit back where you did, both of you watch the Americans.
Speaker 3: Yes, I loved it, obsessed, loved it, all right.
Speaker 1: You've never seen it. Well, that's well, you know, it's funny. I feel that way about West Wing. I think West Wing's crap. I hate it. And it's because it's too like it it's too It isn't real. It's not reality based. It's sort of you know, Aaron Sork and Fantasyland, God bless them. And there's nothing wrong with fantasy. But people that got into politics thinking life is the West Wing, It's like, nope, go watch Veep. That's a little more realistic, you know, right, than than than West Wing. So I so, so, Michael, do you not watch are you? Because you do so much of this espionage beat. Has it made movies and programs about espionage less interesting to you?
Speaker 2: I think so? Yeah. I read a lot of books about espionage, like historic.
Speaker 1: The real stuff, right, yeah, but the yeah, I I need to, you know, draw.
Speaker 2: Some line where I'm thinking about other things.
Speaker 1: So you needed Jane on this, You needed this partnership to say, dude, this is an amazing story, not to sensitized.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, And it sounds like you brought in that that sort of you brought in the plotline joy to this story.
Speaker 3: The American since why I was living the American story. Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 4: That's the fantastic energy we've brought to it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is why whoever your editor is very smart bringing you two together. Because I couldn't put the story. It was one of those days You're like, I can't put this story down, and I think it was a pretty long read, and I say this, you know for these days for newspapers, right, and You're like, I can't put this down. And then I just wanted more and more and more. So I appreciate you guys coming on and humoring me on this.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jock.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you enjoyed Season nine of The Americans. No, I'm half kidding, but you now, don't you want the show back? I mean, I know I've been on a Kerrie Russell unofficial showcase. Here, right, we had Debora khn talking about the diplomat. Now we're rehashing the America thanks to the news of the week when it comes to Russian illegal spies and the Brazilian government. Anyway, just a fascinating I can't get enough of the story. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did conducting the interview. Well, let's do a little last Chuck, answer a few questions, ask Chuck. All right, Oh let's see. Oh this is great. This comes from Charlie L from Berlin, Germany via Montreal, Canada. Got it. When it comes to primaries, why is America stuck with a single first in the nation state? We see things like Super Tuesday in March, where a bunch of states run their primaries or caucuses in parallel. Referring to presidential politics here, obviously, I understand the state pride of going first. If I were Iowa, wouldn't want to give that up. But the question is whether does having all eyes on a single state for the first race ultimately help the presidential electoral process. My two cents, why not have Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina had all run on the same day. Strikes me that it would be a mini Super Tuesday electorally. These states are pretty comparable in size. They seem to represent a lot of America's facets. A candidate could try to aim and win just one or two of these aids, but anyone worth their salt should opt for a four state campaign. Love the new show look. I think it's a great thought about how to do that, which is those first. I completely agree about the first four states. If we all accept Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada, they all showcase different parts of the American electorate. Rural America, Independence are a huge chunk of New Hampshire voters, African Americans and Evangelical voters. In South Carolina, you have Latino voters and transient voters. Really as people migrate to Nevada all the time in there, and they're all small states. Look, Charlie, the most important thing about going first is making sure the whole theory of the case is of why a small state is to make it accessible so that a guy like Howard Dean, who was governor of Vermont, who didn't have the financial who didn't have the donor base that the governor of Illinois would have, you know, or the or the governor of California would have to actually be able to, you know, give have a fair shot of having voters give them a look. Right. This is what allowed Jimmy Carter to go from zero to hero. It's what allowed We've seen quite a few people take campaigns in Iowa and become national figures. Pat Robertson successfully pulled that off back in nineteen eighty eight. He didn't win Iowa, but he overperformed. He did better than expected, and it sort of put his name on the map and in some ways beat Boodagic right is the mayor of South Bend him, you know, essentially coming in a tie for first. I guess we still don't know who quite won him or Bernie, but the fact that he was tied for first sort of helped put him on the map and gave the mayor of South Bend Access. So the theory behind the small states, but you know, putting all four in the same day, you know that is one way to solve that problem. There's some constitutional state constitutional stuff in New Hampshire and in Iowa where they both embedded the whole first first in the Nation thing into their state constitutions. But you know, as Donald Trump has taught us, these constitutions are just suggestions anyway, right, I kid, I kid, Second question here from Beaverdale, Pennsylvania. It's Lindsay, as she notes, just outside Johnstown. I'm enjoining a new podcast and the freedom it clearly gives you to be more open about your opinions on various topics. Your take on faith in politics is something that I would love to hear you dive into further, particularly if we will ever get to a point where being religious is not required of a politician. Are there examples of politicians that keep their faith private or even or are even atheist or agnostic and still succeed in getting elected. Do you think America could ever elect one as president? I know that some argue that Donald Trump may not be a very religious person, but he still pretends to be so I don't think he should count. Look, I agree, I think the question is I remember, I think we had a poll question that indicated this that the we would do a round of polling. Where are you? Are you comfortable with this attribute? Mute or uncomfortable with this attribute? You know, a woman president, a gay president, a divorced president, a president that doesn't believe in God. I believe that the worst performing what if in that scenario was a president that doesn't believe in God? Right when we when we're still standing up at seventh innings of baseball games to God bless America and it's seen as a patriotic song and not necessarily as a song of faith. I think that tells you that you're probably not decided. You know, I'm I. You know, I certainly wouldn't be recommending to a politician. They attempt to be the first politician to prove that an atheist can win. So I think it's now, you know, I, You've You've probably caught I. I sort of feel like I'm not a very religious person, but i'm culturally you know, I was culturally raised Jewish, as I sort of mixed religion, so I was related with all the religions, which you could argue then was I relized with any right? But if I but I did my deepest eye in Judaism, and I raised both my kids Jewish because I wanted them to have a religious education. And I think the Old Testament is as good as any of a baseline education. And look, I do think religious education matters even if you're not a person of faith, because it's so foundational in music, in the arts, in literature. And yes, it impacts our politics. So you know, not understanding faith in the world will just make you understand how the world works less so, right, you'll be less willing to do that. So but no, I don't think we're there yet. I mean, do I think we will be by the end of this century? I do? You know, I think that you can see the trend lines. I've always said if you look at the number of people who call themselves religious in nineteen hundred versus the number of people that call themselves religion in two thousand, Right, And we had this sort of you know, if you look at it from over one hundred year period, it's on its way to collapse. Now we've seen a many religious sort of plateauing. Right, there had been a steady decrease in sort of people following organized religion, and now there seems to be a bit of a plateau and even some incremental upswing in certain groups. And I do think that our need for community, that faith becomes a place potentially to go. There. My friend John Kasik would be and argue that this is a good thing, that this could bring people together. And you know, I think we all wish if people actually followed the tenants of their religion, then we would be in a better place in this world. But you know, what people do in the name of religion isn't always following the tenants of said religion. But yeah, I don't think. I think you still have to have politicians pay some lip service, and I think, look, it's gonna Yeah, I'm here's a trend line that I'm curious about over the next twenty years. Well, we start to see Africa Americans divide on religion. So, for instance, in among Jewish voters, if you go to synagogue once a week or more, you're more likely to vote Republican. That's true of any faith. If you go months a week or more, you're more likely to vote on the right side of the isle than on the left side of The less you go to church, the more likely you vote on the left. Will we the one exception has always been religious African Americans. That is turning into a generational divide right where you're seeing younger African Americans not as not as not as as full intendance in the Black Church as you saw with previous generations. And the Black Church is sort of a is an very important political organizing force as well. So that's you know, that's something I want to watch for in over the next twenty or thirty years. Will there be a divide among African Americans on religious grounds, because we've seen it in every other demographic. You know, there's you know, the Catholic vote, you divide based on if you attend Mass or don't attend Mass. It's not whether the Catholic vote leans one way or the other right. It depends on how religious you really are. But we hadn't seen that yet impact the African American vote just yet, and I'm curious to see if that happens. Last question, this one comes from Darren in San Francisco. All the new revelations about Biden's decline and related shortcomings that selling his agenda have reminded me that after the ACA had barely passed and then took years to become popular, I was convinced that the Democrats would have learned the necessity of strong and sustained messaging. But during Biden's term and continuing into the tobacco we're in now, it's as if this still completely fails to register on a party wide scale. What do you think accounts for this pervasive cluelessness. Is it resigning to the fact that complicated positions and policies aren't easy to communicate effectively something these very smart people are paid to figure out how to do and or my theory, do they have an inexplicable content evidence in the average voter to reason and pay attention on their own. Republicans seem to have the opposite view and take full advantage of it. Yes, I'll simplify it even more, Darren. You know as a as a friend of mine likes to put it, Republicans try to agree with the voter. Democrats try to tell the voter what to believe and so and then in campaigns you want to be on the side of the voters. Versus trying to make the voters be on your side.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I think ultimately, if I were to pinpoint the philosophical problem with the Democratic strategic machinery, it is just that it's not that they believe people. It's just that they believe they can always convince people that they're right and that they're versus Republicans go, oh, you don't like illegal immigration, neither do we. You don't like the cost of in neither do way we agree with you. Right. It's more of a they find a way to agree with the voter, and they'll do it on some you know, Trump jumped on the opioid issue because voters in New Hampshire were concerned about it. This is one of those cases. Democratic candidates for president in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen weren't listening to the voters. Republican candidates in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen New Hampshire were, and they all jumped on the opioid thing a lot quicker, and I think more effectively as far as the electorate was concerned than Democrats did. And it was simply just hearing, listening to the voters and agreeing with the voter that yes, this is a problem. So I think it's it's you know, it's sort of an even bigger anyway, I totally get your question. I know I'm not answering it directly, but I hope my view on this in essence does answer your question. I think it only reinforces, perhaps what you already believe in the messaging mess that is the Democratic Party these days. All right, I'm going to leave it there. The next time I talk to you, we will flip the calendar to June. I've had an incredible first sixty days on this run. I really appreciate everybody that is like subscribed all of those things. Don't forget we have a substack. Now we've got all these things. You can hear us anywhere you want. YouTube, we'd love for you to subscribe to the channel, everything else, Spotify, Apple, you name it. And if Apple isn't uploading right away, automatically help us inform Apple that they're messed up. This has been an issue. Luckily apparently we're not the only podcast with this issue. But please feel free to let the engineering team know themselves. Hey Apple, you've got a problem. We've done it. Maybe they'll be responsive to you, a little more responsive to you. So with that, I'll take a little respite until we upload again.