Speaker 1: Now now, Hello everybody. I am Jason Alexander here with my partner Peter Tilden, And I know I always turn that over to you.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like you got to give me the big cue, like I wouldn't know. Well, who's you're talking to?
Speaker 1: Your new to show business. Welcome to our show, really no, really, where we discuss the things that make us say.
Speaker 2: Really no, really, like the bell. Laurie, our producer, hates that frigging bell. Really every time you look at a little face, by the way, she looks mad when she's happy, when she's mad.
Speaker 1: So if I ring it one more time, I'll be right on cue because today's show. And by the way, it doesn't matter where you're joining us from, if you're watching on YouTube or the iHeart podcast network or Apple Apple, no matter where you're watching us from, I will tell you that I take a risk every time I ring that bell because our produce so Laurie could run in here and wreak havoc. And today's theme happens to be risk Peter risk.
Speaker 2: I know I was doing the preparation.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, you were that guy. Yes, I feel like I took a little risk coming in here today seriously, and I mean seriously. So it's raining out here in Los Angeles. I grew up on the East coast. You grew up on the East coast. Why can't people on this coast drive in rain? What happens? Why did they want to?
Speaker 2: Real answer?
Speaker 1: They're danger there there there anticipation of the danger and the mayhem and the and the the shifts they make and they're driving patterns and habits change so dramatically that it actually causes treacherous situations.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, may I say? First, if you've never driven with Jason, he drives like a grandparent who needs to have the key taking you What you know, that's sad talk. You have tacit with the grandparent where it's time you're not driving anymore. That's not more.
Speaker 1: Number two, wait example that what are you talking about? Like what I go too slow? Is that what you say?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I go too slow? Oh so my wife is wrong? Oh she says you go through fast. Yeah, she needs she needs ten car lens between me and the car in front of me.
Speaker 2: Another reason why I won't drive with you and the wife. So Paul mungjy In better known as Mungo cameraman for the last twenty five plus years. Do I read this whole thing this way doesn't come close.
Speaker 1: To cam camera guy. Give him the man has the life. Give him his credits. Tell people who this man is. To say he lives off camera his entire life, well, actually not true. He had his own show, but most of his life he lived off camera. Tell people what he did, Paul, we've run out of time. Paul Mungjing, better known as Mungo, has worked as a cameraman for the last twenty five plus years. But that doesn't come close to capturing this man's experience. He isn't a cameraman working on a backlot of some sitcom stage. No, nor does he walk around I don't like the way you said that.
Speaker 2: But nor does he walk around with a news reporter capturing the tepith thrills of a three alarm fire.
Speaker 3: No epit thrill unless you're in the three a long fire. Then it's Mongo experience. Yeah, Mungo is a bit more extreme than that, way more extreme. He traveled over ninety five countries. And by the way, while I'm prepping this thing, it's so funny. Any article they read hits seventy countries and it's seventy eight country. Two minutes later we counted this one.
Speaker 2: He's ninety seven countries. Filming for all the major broadcasters with the biggest name he did Bear Grills. He also had on Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Kate Winsley who can hold her breath for over seven minutes nineteen and a half, Simon Cowell, and Charlie Boorman. Following his Demand and Adventure TV, Mongo has now stepped in front of the camera and for the first time he has his own adventures on his own show, which we're talking about. He's written books and all. Let's let's say.
Speaker 1: Hi to Hello there, Mungo. How are you, Sarah?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much for having me exhausted from your credits, you look you're that guy. Were you always in the dread like as a kid, did you or were you the one who licked the socket you know what I mean, put the thing in to see what the electricity? Were your risk taker like for right out of the crib.
Speaker 4: I never been asked that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was adventurous and I was always very sporty, and I loved, I love always taking the risk.
Speaker 4: I loved being the one out there.
Speaker 5: I love playing rugby, and I think all my experience was about trying to perform in the moment, so whether you're under pressure. Also with adventure sports like surfing, which I loved, it was all about you had to perform in that moment.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so all the way through my childhood I did. I did some silly things, silly things, and I did the tale right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, what was one of the stupidest kind of dare.
Speaker 4: It was my own dare to myself. That's how stupid I am.
Speaker 5: Just the other day I was watching my son Gus, who's five years old, and he was tying himself to the banisters of our stairs. I live in Bristol here in a house which is one hundred years old, so he got quite high stairs and he was just tied himself on. Unfortunately I managed to get to him before he kind of threw himself over.
Speaker 4: That's what I did. But I was a kid, so he was literally.
Speaker 1: It was his idea was he was gonna he was gonna lash himself to the banister and then hop over the real to see if it went.
Speaker 4: Hold, because that's what he sees everybody to Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: I have a lawsuit for Tom Cruise. Right, wow, and so what do you okay not to break their spirit? Because my parents any time they saw me do anything cutting with a knife, they go, don't overheat. That was my don't overheat was the line. Okay, so no sports, no running, don't accelerate. So you, being mister adventure parents, how do you have to talk with a kid that doesn't break his spirit?
Speaker 5: I let him do it, but I let him do it safely. So for example, I made a conscious decision to teach us, who's just turned the five, how to light the fight, and and.
Speaker 1: So excellent parenting. They let me let me interrupterence. You might want to just do ear muffs for a second, call the authorities. Five year how had a light of fire in Bristol? And right, this is not this is not this is not like they're out camping. He's the kids hanging from the banister, and he goes, while you're up there, let me teach you how to light of fire.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it's good that you take a kid who's going to jump off a banister and it's predisposed there to say, you know what flame claim next.
Speaker 1: And then and then knives of course, and then small we're back with Paul Mongom. Sorry you taught him to light the fire, and.
Speaker 5: Also things like using a knife, because I figure that if he's not, if he's not thrown himself off something, if he's not trying to light a fire, he's not if he finds a knife lying around, which kids do you know, they find them, they.
Speaker 4: Can't see the draw, They pick out a big knife, and.
Speaker 5: I figure that it's worth teaching him correctly of how to handle it, how to use it, and then kind of give him boundaries and so far, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless he turns on you with the knife after you lay down the boundaries my kids.
Speaker 2: When I teach my kid to use a knife, as maybe when he turns thirty seven. So but you know, but that's interesting, you know, in reading about risk taking, the fascinating thing about it, and I wonder if you experienced this too without risk taking when business and whatever innovation doesn't usually happen, of course, so it's fascinating. The guys who are not risk takers are not necessarily innovators. And does that resonate with you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think you know, if you sit on your hands. If you don't put yourself out there and have different experiences, you don't grow in character. The attitude of all the team that I work with has going to be a kind of gun ho, but safely gun ho within perimeters, like I teach Guss. And it's all about having that can do attitude. And one of the reasons why I love working with Americans in America is that it's your natural kind of can do attitude. Yeah, if my dad used to say, my dad used to work in America a lot as a publisher, and he used to say what he loved was that the Americans always have a glass half full attitude, whereas the Brits or the Europeans will often have a glass half empty attitude. And I love that, and I love to be surrounded by people who kind of go, well, why can't we do that? Yeah, what's stopping us?
Speaker 4: Let's give it a go. Right.
Speaker 1: It may have been a while since your last visited the United States, but thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank You're talking to two people whose parents said, there is no question, yeah, don't break the glass.
Speaker 1: You don't run, You're going to break the glass, Which is why I'm not a risk taker. So I understand that. You you know, you're born with this curiosity to push yourself. But you made your living essentially with a camera. So where did the how did the connection between oh I like doing this stuff, now let me do it with a camera. How did that come to be interesting one?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 5: I mean at school, I was definitely known for my brawn rather than my brain, so.
Speaker 4: I knew had to play to my strength.
Speaker 5: I was good at sport, excelled at sport, but the other thing.
Speaker 4: I could do was art.
Speaker 5: So ideally I kind of needed to find something. It wasn't a case I wanted to find it. I kind of needed to find something which was creative but also physical. And you know, I had a few options to me of army or whatever. I never did the military formerly, although I ends up working with a lot of military over the years. But I kind of studying art. I got my qualifications, went to art school, and then thought what do I do? And then one day I met through a friend another guy called Simon Niblett, who's a well renowned documentary cameraman over here. And I met this guy and I just thought, yea, he had landrovers, he had motorbikes, he was leaving to go to Africa to work with David Attenborough doing wildlife living in jungles for weeks on end with wild animals, and I just thought, this guy's living my dream literally because it's kind of he's doing a creative job with his camera, but also he's got that physicality of having to survive in these environments while working, and I just thought, you know, I want some of that. So really I was very fortunate because I did find that job that I suited it, and it suited me.
Speaker 2: Let's get to some of the risk taking. I know you talked to him. I think I really said, one of the worst places a jungle, because there's so much stuff that can kill you. But I started putting myself in your place thing and not only can it kill you, but I've got to have backups. I've got to have batteries, I've got to have These other guys are worrying about themselves, I got to worry about myself, the equipment, all this stuff. The shot I'm looking through an eyepiece while an anaconda is coming up my rear. You know, it's like, oh my god, is that the worst place to work? The jungle?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, personally, out of all the environments I've worked in, which is pretty much all of them now, I think the jungle is my least favorite. You get soaking wet from the minute you walk into the when it you walk out, whether it's raining or whether it's a sweat, pretty much everything is out there to kill you or to get inside you, and I've had a few experiences of that as well. I had a bug live in my ear for three days, which drove me insane. I've been bitten by probably everything there is to buy you in Jungles. It's very It's a beautiful place, but it's tough, really tough. It just SAPs all the life out of you. So yeah, I guess the reward is high, but it's it's a tough experience being there with jungle. It's just hard work from the minute you go to the minute you come out.
Speaker 4: It's worthing.
Speaker 2: Do they have Do they have extraction points? Like if you get so you're there, you're filming, you're looking at the eyepiece and a code will bite you on the butt. Do they have an extraction point? Do they have anti venom? Do they have stuff or is it hate? Paul anybody who want us to say goodbye to you'll text them right now and like, what's the protocol theer?
Speaker 5: No, we have we have people looking after us for a start, so we have when we go into these places. We have a lot of X military guys who are in our safety team, and they have protocols if something does happen. We have you know, good comms with each other through walkie talkies, but also we have satellite phones where we can know our safety team would have already been in touch with the nearest hospital to work out what the emergency and is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say a flag on the play because that seems like cheating. I'm going to go specifically to your work with Bear Grill Now. It seems to me that the premise of the Bear Grills show is how would you survive in these extreme places? How do you handle these things? It seems to me if if an anaconda bites mango or or bear comes across a carcass and he goes, oh, I think I can eat this, and he eats a you know, a piece of liver that's well past the expiration date, and he starts to get in trouble, the show should be How do you survive now, not with I have twenty seven comms, and I have a medical team and a military and now you're off the premise. So you know, let's show the real thing. Let's you know, you got bitten by an anaconda. You got nobody you're in the jungle except you got bear there going wow, mate, that's that's that's that's a bad bite episode.
Speaker 5: When he's dropped his shopping on camera where he's throwing up on camera. He got stung by bees and then swelled up on camera.
Speaker 4: So you don't agree with we have that. But obviously if it's it's only TV, right, I mean, it's not worth dying for.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this too, because there was a controversy a little while back about that he was cushier. I read something that said he was cushier and it was misrepresent thought it was misrepresented because he was staying somewhere. Wasn't the rich Carton, but he was staying somewhere that was covered where you're not going to get bitten by a stake, but gave the impression that he was out in the public.
Speaker 5: How did they address that, Well, they addressed it quite easily actually, so that the channel at the start of the show, they just added that. You know that bear Is has the help of professionals while making the show, as does the crew, and he basically says, I'm going to show you how to survive, opposed to I Am going to survive.
Speaker 4: It's as simple as that. And it was you that was a long time ago. Now a long time ago, so things have you know, but old to me.
Speaker 5: Look, we're making a TV show, you know, it's not like he's really crushed in a jungle making.
Speaker 6: Right, Oh don't break that well from to that to that extent, just to get a peek behind the scenes of making a show like that, so you know, like when he finds he's like, oh my god, I found a hunk of rope that's going to come in handy and then sure enough, it sure does.
Speaker 1: Is that all pre planned? Is the rope planted there? Or is he actually making discoveries and using things ad lib as he goes a bit of.
Speaker 5: Both, to be honest, I mean, you know, again from making TV and we've got a limited time in that location. We've got to make things work, and obviously we've got safety to think of with the crew, So it's about, you know, we've got a journey in mind now. Working with Bear for seventeen years now, I know that he will stick to the plan to a certain degree, but then he'll just go off because that's the way he is, and we just have to go with it. And obviously that's obviously a lot where the magic happens. We're going along. We've thought about what the plan is with Bet and we kind of make it all up as we go along, and then obviously things I'm running Wild.
Speaker 4: Then we bring a celebrity with.
Speaker 5: Us who then goes to the journey and experiences what we experience.
Speaker 1: And their reactions are real right now, they's coming.
Speaker 5: Running Wild is an extraordinary series. I've done eight seasons of it now and it never ceases to amaze me that they these guys who are used to having an entourage with them, or at least their agent or their best friends, they literally get left. They have to come by themselves because a lot of what we do is close quarters in helicopters or going down slot canyons where you just can't have a hundred people, and we've got very few people on the ground as well. We can't look after more people basically, so we take these people literally out of their comfort zone. They've never done anything like it before, and their reactions are extraordinary, I mean absolute euphoria most of the time, as well as tangible terror.
Speaker 2: In fact, the readings if the headline was we killed Will Ferrell would be me. Everybody would turn it to be for a couple of days. Yeah, then Carnation episodes and I watched that.
Speaker 1: But but but to that, it's an instruction on how to do things well, how to do things safely. So I immediately my Jewish mother is always in the back of my head going why do they take the doors off the helicopter? That's not safe? Why do we start by creating a dangerous situation? If I'm in the helicopter, if I'm Will and the helicopter with Bear, first thing I'm doing is go, where's the door? Why are we hanging out the why are we hanging out?
Speaker 5: There's a sliding door that slides back.
Speaker 2: You bet your the.
Speaker 5: On many helicopters they open out, so you just couldn't do that. It would be impossible. So you take the door off so that you can repel out of the side of the headicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I want to do. I'd be ready to repel.
Speaker 1: That's what that's the safety reason, so that you can.
Speaker 2: Repel if you By the way, there are twelve trason characteristics of bold risk takers. Can I ask you and Jason together, if you have these traits you're ready? Sure you're comfortable being uncomfortable. Yeah, I'm always uncomfortable. I'm uncomfortable right now. Just how you live.
Speaker 1: Well, it's mostly because you know, you know.
Speaker 2: You're up for a gamble.
Speaker 1: Boys, Really, you're a gambler.
Speaker 2: See now, I'm he didn't mean literally, You're so literal.
Speaker 4: I'm not gambling with money. I'm gambling with my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm neither. I know. I'm a poker player. So people go, you're a gambler, and I go, no, I don't like the gamble. I like to play pokers. That's a little bit of risk. That's a little bit of a risk. You're being very kind, all right. What else you're used to getting in trouble?
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 5: I like pushing boundaries, but I think sometimes rules are there for a reason, So youah tensative fleet Maybe I don't I don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't like getting. I understand you're in my twelve years of primary school, never went to the principals.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I got all the time. You're a person of action. You don't sit around. You can't sit.
Speaker 5: No, I struggle with. My wife says, I'm like a labrador. I need to get my exercise and I need a lot of food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife says, I'm a little more like a French bulldog. I just sit and pa, I eat pastry. That's the b a French part.
Speaker 2: And a seventeen year old French bull You know what you want. You're pretty clear on what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know what I want and not to do risks.
Speaker 2: You trust your gut?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Not in the not in his situations, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wouldn't want to be with you on a hill and I had you to trust your gun.
Speaker 1: Why am I on a hill?
Speaker 2: You trust your gun? If you have experience, you're naturally curious.
Speaker 4: Yes I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let's say say, yeah, you are to an extent, not that much.
Speaker 1: Not that much.
Speaker 2: You can brush off failure.
Speaker 4: I've got better at it over the years.
Speaker 5: I used to have very high standards but then when you do fail, you pick yourself up. And yeah, when I worked with the guy who taught me camera work, I remember I made some terrible mistakes while prepping kit. And as you know, because you know, I know, you've worked in TV and stuff, you understand that if a cameraman loses here's one little bit of kit, you can jeopardize the whole shoot. So I made some massive mistakes while prepping kit when I was learning.
Speaker 4: But he said to me.
Speaker 5: Simon said to me, I don't mind you making mistakes, but never make that same mistake twice or a willm.
Speaker 1: When you are filming out in the world and things are happening, but you're also, as you say, an artist, and you wanted to look right and you wanted to look good. Is there ever a situation where essentially you have to turn to somebody like bearing, Oh, sorry, mate, I missed the shot. Can you drink your own your own one more time? I miss it?
Speaker 5: To be honest, Jason, I think there are a lot of cameramen out there who are probably better than I am a camera work. But I think the reason why I've been successful is because I do.
Speaker 4: Get that shot and hopefully you're any.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think, in all honesty, I reckon that in seventeen years, I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of times that I've said we didn't get it, can we do it again? So because of that, he knows that if I do say it, we really need it, or he hasn't got a show.
Speaker 1: So you've said jungles are the hardest. But is there is there a job you don't take? Is there a thing you wouldn't do? Is there just somewhere you go I don't want.
Speaker 5: That, you know what? Recently there went to Ukraine, he interviewed President Lensky. And I've got two boys now, I've got a seven year old and a five year old, and I just made the cons decision with my wife with you know, I just I just don't want to take that risk anymore. I've done war zones when I was single and younger, and as Bear says, you know, we both say together that we realized that the older we get, hopefully the wiser we get. And we realized that the less brave we become. And I think for me it was a case of you know, it would be amazing to meet him, for sure, but yeah, what if that happened? You know what if the worst happened and there's an air strike or something, and and I was sitting there looking at my little boy, thinking, you know what, why would I Why would I do that just for a buzz now, you know, or just for a high paid job.
Speaker 4: It's like it's just worth of risk.
Speaker 2: Curiously too, you're looking in the viewfinder ar but he's got a peripheral thing going, so you don't see stuff that's coming at you. Have you ever had that experience because you're getting the shot.
Speaker 5: It's funny because when you when you talk to cruise especially crews you do war zones, often the cameraman is the guy that can actually escape from what's going on around him. And I've used this technique before in Africa before in Rwanda, where you can put your eye in the viewfinder, close the other eye and it's like you're watching the movie or watching TV because you're literally watching the screen, whereas the sound man who's there is trying to capture the sound, which is sometimes grizzy as well, but he can see everything. And often it's those guys that have the real trouble with you know, post traumatic stress disorder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, is PTSD and trauma part of the gig for most of these guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is. I think it is. I mean, I remember when I came back from Rwanda.
Speaker 5: I was there just after the main genocide, but I came back and I was writing an invoice, and I kind of thought I'd got away with it, as in, getting away with being too traumatized, even though it was pretty horrific some of the stuff we saw. And then suddenly when I was writing his invoice, I just broke down into tears.
Speaker 4: Unexplained it really.
Speaker 5: And and it was just it was just the release of the emotion of trying to deal with it. And often on cruise, when you're in these tough situations, often the I'm not saying this in a big headed way, but more from the level of experience you have.
Speaker 4: Often it's the cameraman that people.
Speaker 5: Look to to get you through, and you very much are the leader of the technical team, but.
Speaker 4: Also your experience really helps with morale et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: So you're often kind of pulling people through these experiences, and then when you get to the other end, you're kind of like, wow, what just happened?
Speaker 4: You know, and that's when it will really hits you.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I've read stories too, Paul about the cameraman and cops got shot. I mean, you don't realize how many people are at risk. One of the shows that both turned over. There's got to be a lot of stories like that, Yeah, or there have been disasters. Does that affect you? When does it go through the community real quickly?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it mustively does.
Speaker 5: Helicopters crash is our one because we use helicopters a lot of the whole time. It's one of these kind of usps, really, and when we know of helicopters that have gone down, it always sends the kind of shockwave through our team of life.
Speaker 4: You know. It's kind of a numbers game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: When you speak to the helicopter engineers, they talk about the Jesus bolt, which they call it the Jesus bolt because a bolt that holds the kind of propellers together on top. And I said to the guy once, ye know, why do you call it that? And he said, well, if that bolt goes, the next person you'll see is Jesus.
Speaker 1: If somebody listening was interested in getting into what you do and trying to go down that path. What's the way in, what's your suggestion, what do they need to know, what do they need to do or pursue.
Speaker 5: Well, unfortunately, for most, I think the media is still very much who you know, not what you know. I was very lucky in that I just met people at the right time, quite randomly actually, But that's when I think, coming back to risk and the adventurous spirit, I think when doors open up, it's up to that person to push the door and really go for it and see, you know, explore what opportunities are there.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 5: I didn't have many options really, so I was very fortunate that my door opened up to you almost thirty year your career. But I would say start at the basics. If you want to be in TV, if you love cameras, get to know the kit first. I always suggest to people that watch the shows that you love to watch, and then watch the credits, see who make those shows, and then contact the companies and just say, look, I'm here, I've got a massive desire for it. This is maybe what I've done, We've got a little bit of experience, or I'm trying to get experience. Sometimes I'll give my time for nothing for a few weeks so I can come and meet you. And also, I think the biggest tip I always say is don't just send a CV, don't just send an email or a letter, but try and get face to face meetings with people.
Speaker 1: Would you suggest one more question? And then I'm going to turn it over to you because I heard your hand and this to me is a really not really somewhere in your background, I understood with all the things, the crazy things you've done, that somewhere when you were in Laos you found occasion to eat a Penis true or not true?
Speaker 2: Really? No, really, because by the way, for me and Jason, we're out of that. Look, I'm becoming an accountant, I'm becoming a dentist. At that point, I'm rethinking my career. This was a tribe offer the tea, right, Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It was a tribe that we were filming up in the mountainous area of Laus and part of the the elder men that is the tradition to give the group an aphrodis.
Speaker 1: This was a wedding.
Speaker 2: This was a big deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hasten to add that it didn't taste like chicken.
Speaker 4: It wasn't still attached to the dog.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, any guardney that they do with it like a wine that goes well with reasoning, nice reason.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, it wasn't a great dane. It was just a little dog.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean unfortunately?
Speaker 4: You mean fortunately it was.
Speaker 2: A dog nugget. So do you have if you didn't need it but a victim from the tribe?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, But I mean, you know, sometimes on these things you're gonna you're getta judge whether it's right to kind of play along and when it's not. I mean sometimes, to be honest, I've kind of done stuff and thrown it over my shoulder.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, it sounds like a scient Feld episode.
Speaker 2: So in closing, I got to ask you this what your take is on If you look at the science of risk taking, it's interesting because there are theories. It's about word people who have endorphin rushes, and that's the sports junkies ex. Even the jackeass guys. There's an adrenaline rush that comes with it, and you can't get enough of that and you're downtime. It's worth it to take a risk. That's one theory. Another theory is that genetics play some part into it. Another theory is it's people who believe or not want to be in control and that gives you a degree of control. And there's another theory that says it's mental illness and extreme people should be checked because there may be a degree of mental illness going on there. And I'm not saying it's a joke, it's why would you take a risk, especially if the benefit versus loss benefit in your case, Yeah, you take the risk. You got a TV show Eve with Knievel riskers. He's going to get paid six million dollars and jump the canyon. The guys jumping off their roofs in the cape are not there's it's just stupid, And there's the riskers downside. Does any of that resonate with you? Ye?
Speaker 5: Multiple, I think all of them do, to be honest, to a degree, I think genetically. My grandfather was a spitfire pilot in the Second World War, so he was banged up for a bit of you know, he was nineteen years.
Speaker 4: Old and flying over France. I've definitely got that in my DA and A.
Speaker 5: My great grandfather was a missionary in China at the turn of the century, and in those days, you know, it wasn't just pith helmet, it was like, really, I think they ran for their life three times from the box of rebellion.
Speaker 4: I think all the other ones about the bean in.
Speaker 1: Control, Yeah, I heard mental health issues.
Speaker 5: I think the beaning control thing is that I like the problem solve and I like the fact that there's a challenge. So we want to go here, we want to do this massive stunt. Can we make it work? I love being in the leadership part of a team to work that out. That's true age, isn't it. And just have of experience of thinking there'd been too many times while I sit there when I was when I was younger, and just thought this could be so much better if we did it this way, not just creative. So I think leading in that sense of control would be And I totally get the mental health thing, as in weighing up the balance of risk. And that's why I say that Bear and I both say these days that you know, the older you get, the less brave you are. And I think, you know, I look at my son and I think, why, you know, why would I go there just to get this kind of sexy credit by the way.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but we just got a note from producer lawyer that after you reveal that you taught your five year old how to do fire, your insurance rate double went up. So you want to quiet your carrier. By the way, can you get insurance? They say, well, have you done anything risk taking? Do you smoke? Do you do this at smoke?
Speaker 5: I know though I struggled for years actually to get life insurance because I just ticked every box because I had to. Will you ever go to a wall zone? Will you ever fly in helicopters? Will you ever be mountaineer climbing? It's like the answers yes.
Speaker 1: From State farms calling Yeah, Paul, let me say it has been a joy to spend time with you. I hope I am never engaged with you professionally because it means I am doing something really wrong, and frankly, given your your dinner proclivities and what you will allow, I'm not sure I even want to share.
Speaker 2: A meal with you. But other than that, you're fascinating. If you look. He's got a couple of books out. Check out his books. Congratulations and by the way, you're going to need good luck with the five year old, so we should do an episode, Laurie if this goes years right down, five six, eight, like three four years from now, let's check in with Mongo and the episode is called give Teaching your Kid Fire See how see how that went? Well? We used to live in Bristol. Yeah, exactly, real pleasure and you're you're you're fascinating and bear girls owes you a lot. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 4: On the back of him as well, so.
Speaker 1: That means something very different here in the States, but we understand that just.
Speaker 2: That was amazing, and I want to find out about really your biggest risk. Oh do you when we Yeah, I'd like to hear Google time though, checks in at this point in every episode to tell us what we got right, well we got wrong? What we need some clarity on, Yes, mister Google home.
Speaker 7: Do you notice the motorcycle helmet next to next to mangahorcycle helmet?
Speaker 1: And I was happily. I was actually very happy. He wears a helmet. He wears I think that was that was very response.
Speaker 2: Did you notice it's like on CNM when your scholar they have all the books and stuff he had the helmet, had another death defying thing. He had some boots do you.
Speaker 1: Only wear for I think that helmet is that because this five year old is a life threatening factor in his home. Well, we're to get that. I did want to start with something that we sort of led with.
Speaker 7: Jason was saying that the West Coast drivers, especially the LA drivers, are particularly bad at driving in wet weather.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 7: Well, according to l A magazine, they spoke to Paul Pisano, who manages road weather programs for the Federal Highway Administration, and he's studied the topic and he said that LA drivers are are not unique in their.
Speaker 1: Inability to handle wet road.
Speaker 7: They're about average as far as poor weather conditions across the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is a self described expert, what does he know? Where's he? Where's he getting? Federal Administment? Government place?
Speaker 2: You don't get because we do eight episodes, we do go gohim. Any expert that you quote that disagrees with already the most amazing expert experience expert.
Speaker 1: I don't need a federal program getting the car with me when it's raining. I will show you.
Speaker 2: Don't get into crawls this is this is what expert says.
Speaker 1: Who you are doing that for comedy purposes? I am an excellent driver. To quote Dustin Hoffman and Ray Man, I am an excellent driver for God's sake.
Speaker 2: If you need to be there fast. Federal Express would be if it has to be there next morning or noon or maybe dinner time. We hear show.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good, you happy, little never happy? You made you a little never happy. You threw me under the bus. Apparently the slow moving bus is that you're happy?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: What else, mister Goglan, hopefully Mungo watches this episode when it comes out, because children playing with fires at more than twenty thousand fires every year in the United States. That's an average of almost four hundred fires each week.
Speaker 2: And by the way, did you notice you notice something that I did?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to. I wanted to move on there. So this show could go seven hours because he's kind of listening your miss trick. Yeah, he talked to five year old Matches, Yeah, not to seven yeah right, yeah right.
Speaker 1: The show almost veered into a parenting episode right off.
Speaker 2: But if he didn't teach the seven year old because you thought he couldn't handle it. I'm sure the five Yarl's going to show the different children have different you know, it's a different thing. Was going to throw themself off the banisher tethered himself to the banish.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say, by the belt, by the neck, what different than you and me?
Speaker 2: We're teaching him, not you, and you'd be screaming your kid. He's going you shouldn't do it, but could not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly anything else, mister Google line.
Speaker 7: The final one is that we were starting talking about how many people have perhaps perished in the production of reality programs. There are right, oh thanks, different reality shows that have unfortunately claimed people's lives.
Speaker 1: Oh my.
Speaker 7: The most famous is the crocodile hunter Steve Irwin, who was killed by a sting.
Speaker 1: Ray when he was shooting a show on the Great Bery Roof.
Speaker 7: Discovery Channel had some issues MTV's Buck Wilde. Unfortunately, there was a carbon monoxide poisoning issue with an suv.
Speaker 1: Stuck in the mud.
Speaker 7: There were some helicopter issues, some swimming issues, heart attacks, and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: You know what you may have not known in prepping for this episode. I'm looking up Cameron to find like guys who are in jeopardy and the kai who was with Steve Irwin when that happened. That ray was six feet wide, so you can imagine size. And I didn't know this. It jabbed him repeatedly and got his heart on one of them, and the thing is huge. But I didn't realize the guys there while he's being jabbed and they pulled Steve Irwin in the boat and they're saying, you'll be okay, You'll be okay. I didn't know the thing kept going at him that it was won after they had like six times it stabbed him. It's huge, and the camera, what's the cameraman going to do?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: You talk about That's what he's talking about, is that it's like being in a war zone.
Speaker 2: It why don't go in the water, That's why don't go swimming.
Speaker 1: So you're not a risk taker? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: So my biggest you want to know my biggest risk.
Speaker 1: This is the truth.
Speaker 2: So my biggest risk was I got called to come out here the Lady do Ringer from Philly and it was a big deal because I was working on my own lad agency in Philadelphia and my father had just died. My mom was really sick. My marriage was breaking up, so I had a lot of stuff going on. I moved out here and I did okay. My family ended up moving back to Phillip, which was really tough because I'm by coast and I got to go back and forth. And after they moved, I'm sitting in this big rented house. Everything's gone because I gave everything to the family, and I'm sitting on a mattress with a TV with an antenna and it made out of a hangar. And I ordered dinner chicken parmagan and it comes and there's no silverware. So I'm sitting on a mattress, divorced with my dead dad in the new world. I don't know anybody out here eating chicken parmesan with scissors and crying and laughing because it's efficient. You can cut it, but you can use them as chopstick, and thinking, oh lord, if this is not the bottom, I don't know that I can go much further. But the risk of coming out of changing your world, up, up rooting your life, I think was my biggest risk. And being a no guy who says no automatically to stuff. It's amazing that I that I did that because I didn't realize how significant that was going to be. But I would have never met you and never had the opportunity to do things.
Speaker 1: I'm very moved by your story, and I'm very impressed by your story.
Speaker 2: But the notion of that's your right way producer large laughing. You know her big biggest risk this you're saying yes to my phone call? That was right? That is that pretty pretty large scale of one to ten. Do you ever writ do you have a risk? You never took a risk?
Speaker 1: Sure, that's risk. And you have to sign a waiver anything where you have to sign a way, So your biggest risk anything? No, it's not. But I don't like anything where I have to sign a waiver. I already go wait a minute, wait a minute. Have you tried this? Did you do it successfully? Are you advocating I do something you didn't do? So if you got through it, I should get through it, and you should guarantee that on paper.
Speaker 2: Really No, really, that's exactly you are the big risk kidnapped.
Speaker 1: She is going to afford you.
Speaker 2: She hates that thing.
Speaker 1: No, but here's why I don't think yours was a risk because this is what if you had stayed. What if you had stayed and filled Theadelphia. That's a bigger risk. You want to hear a risk.
Speaker 2: I took a risk. Here's the risk, drum rollo.
Speaker 1: Now, First of all, you know that I have a terrible fear of heights, and I really am risk averse. But I've done hang gliding, up done parasailing, I've done helicoptering, I've done all that kind of stuff. But here's the biggest risk I ever took, seriously, and I'm very serious about this. I was working for an organization in the Middle East that was trying to work on a peace initiative between Israelis and Palestinians. It had a Palestinian board, it had an Israeli board. I had gone several times and all of our meetings had been on the Israeli side. Palestinian members had joined us in Israel, but it had always been on the Israeli side. And they said we would appreciate it if mister Alexander would come into the Palestinian territories. And MIA immediate response was, uh huh, I'm an American Jew. How much risk am I actually taking? And I really did think that it could be a risky situation. Many things happened, it was extraordinary. But one of them was that my Palestinian host said, please understand, in our faith, one of the greatest sins is if a host allows harm to come to an invited guest, we will literally take bullets for you if it came down to that. And I went into several Palestinian cities. In Ramaala, I was having lunch with a bunch of Palestinian artists, actors and artists, and there was a raid going on three blocks away and we could hear gunshots. And the minute those gunshots happened, those gentlemen surrounded me. They were not kidding. They would take a bullet to make sure that I was protected. But there was a moment where two gentlemen were talking about a youth center that they had built, and they were very excited about it, and they said, would you like to see it? I said I would, and they said, it's just it's outside the door, would you come and go? I don't tell anybody, I don't tell my handlers. I get up with these two gentlemen I've been having a lovely lunch with and I go out the door, and down an alley and down a flight of stairs and half a block and I'm thinking, I'm an idiot, I'm a deangerous that said goodbye. I'm a news story right now.
Speaker 2: And what happened.
Speaker 1: We saw the youth center. It was very nice.
Speaker 2: They walked me back. I had a lovely and I got to ask you this before we wrap. Wherever you go to the world, did they know George stand Yes, they do.
Speaker 1: That was the biggest thing in the world. So we pulled into Ramala. I am keeping my head down thinking, you know, I don't I make no assumptions here. And I got out and there were street vendors and some street vendor you know, on the street goes George George, and people come running over and they wanted photos and just like anywhere, and I my assumption was a that they wouldn't get the program there literally figure they literally not get it, but also not understanding they would.
Speaker 2: And they in the Middle East anywhere they're going, here's Cramer's entrance. And by the way, have you ever watched it? Seinfeld is such a nuanced Yeah, right, when they have a voice actor in another country.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen this guy? Do they get to George's right, I've seen I've seen myself done by a Japanese. Even though you don't know the language, there's a lot of so Japanese. I assume I don't speak any Japanese. It seems like there's a lot more syllables in any given word.
Speaker 2: So that guy's gotta go fast.
Speaker 1: I'm going serenity now and he's going, you know, he's got to get a lot into my two little lip flaps. Wow. So it is, by its very nature much more aggressive the car.
Speaker 2: I just wonder if for Tea because it's so hard to do comedy and nuanced.
Speaker 1: He's funny. I can only tell you there was a sign.
Speaker 2: Where where you you had sex with the maid, Yeah, the cleaning lady, and you're sitting acrossing the guy. That scene I want to see played out in a foreign country, right, with a long pause, and you're going your line was was that wrong? Was that all right? And you have to wait for it? Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: That's our risk, that's our show.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Will you? Are you inclined to take more of a risk now that you've met Monga.
Speaker 2: Like he said, as you get older, Yeah, lunch a lunch choice is a risk. Yeah right, you know what I mean, be a bad claim. Line down, sitting down fast right is a risk? Getting up, getting out, helping your car door and looking around?
Speaker 1: Is it rit You bet?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Trying a different hair, start trying something different with the hair.
Speaker 1: Now really, really, now real. You want to thank Mungo Paul Mujeen for being with us today Fascinating life. He's written a bunch of books, Mungo the Cameraman, Adventure Celebrity and Extreme Travel as Seen from Behind the Lens and also Mungo Living the Dream More Extreme Adventures of a TV Cameraman, and you can find out more about him and see some of his amazing work in front of the camera at Mungo tv dot com. You can follow him on Instagram at Mungo the Cameraman on Twitter at Mungo Mujeen. You can find us online at really noreally dot com or on Instagram and TikTok at Really No Really Podcasts. For questions and suggestions, you can message us on Instagram. If you send us one of your really no relies, we may just do it on the show. Most of all, thank you and thank you for listening and subscribing and sharing our show. We're also on YouTube, please subscribe and rate us there. We release new episodes of Really Know Really every Tuesday, so follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. This is a production of iHeartRadio and Lase Entertainment. Yes it is Peter. Be safe, God bless