Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm. Welcome back Man, Round two at Urban Roots Sacramento Kings Training Camp Takeover Day two. Stack is taking it easy on the stack of kittens. Last time we did this ship with Jay will he almost couldn't talk, but they were here. They missed what you just said. What's that stack? Oh yeah, the beers name stack of kids. But again, man, thank you Urban Roots, Thank you Sacramento for coming out. We're excited. You know, me, being a hometown guy, I always want to try to bring events and experiences back to Sacramento. We brought Jason Williams back during the playoff. We got Mike here to start the season. We're gonna be back here before the playoffs again with a special guest. So thank you guys for coming out tonight. We appreciate you. Yeah, you're go ahead and give yourself on the blogs. Yeah you're here, you're yeah. Man. Well let's get started. Man, this is a good friend of both of ours. We go back. Mike and I played together. Stack and Mike kind of grew up together, so that we know this is gonna be a good one, a fun one. Mike's not someone that talks much, but he gonna talk to us today. Mike is a little shy. He want to ask shy, but today we're gonna get it up out of Welcome to the show today, Mike Bibby, Thank you so Mike. Long career, but particularly the Sacramento run to me was one of your greatest runs as a professional athlete. You hit game winners, you help lead this team to the Western Conference finals. What does it mean for you to be back in Sack.
Speaker 2: It's always special coming back here. You know our family friends I've had here for over twenty five years. Good to show that everybody shows me love every time to come here, and it's just good to be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what are you up to these days? I know your son is playing whop, You're in a little bit of coaching. What's Mike Bibby's day to day like these days? Besides in the gym because I can tell you've been in that motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I just joined Matt so I'll be with a man on the NBC Sports.
Speaker 1: That was a secret. So, yeah, Mike is gonna be calling Kings games. He I wasn't supposed to say now, but he said.
Speaker 2: So I'm joining Matt there, but you know, I'm still you know, my son's trying to get in the G league. You know, so I got three girls still trying to bring them up the right way, and you know, I'm just trying to get him playing, and you know, trying to see if this could propel me in the coaching coaching situation too.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you spoke to your family. Obviously very family orienteded. You got your brother, your brother Dane. We're gonna call Day up later in the show so he could share his haircare secrets. But how important is family to you? I mean, I know how important your mom is, but your brother, you have such a great support system, And how important was that to you? And your not only is developing as a man, but you're your basketball journey as well.
Speaker 2: It was great for me, you know, I mean I still carry that with me. I got a you know, a block or my whole family lives on.
Speaker 1: That means he's rich. He bought a whole area in Arizona where his whole family.
Speaker 2: Lives to sack. But you know, my family's always came with me. Everybody went, and it's just being comfortable. I like to be comfortable, and you know, with them around, you know what I mean, it's just it's just it's easier for me. I could be myself.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't know our relationship. We've been knowing each other for shit thirty plus years. Maybe maybe Live Launch twenty five something like that. But I'm glad I can start this started off talking about our relationship. So I had been through a situation where I was supposed to get into Arizona, where Mike went.
Speaker 1: We came out of high school. We had the number of recruit class that year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had knew each other from paying high school and AU and all that type of stuff. But McDonald's game, and around that time we had became real close, and I was supposed to go to Arizona. So I couldn't pass the test if I didn't take the test. Half the time, I didn't even go.
Speaker 1: Uh, just to be honest, hold on, hold on, because let's let's let's be real. This this this this show today. So you was telling you and Dane was telling us how they were setting the tests up for you and you're supposed to take the test and they had a special testing situation for you, and how come you didn't make the test? Yeah? Well, one, thank you Dane probably was out to four or five in the morning. The test was at eight.
Speaker 3: Uh uh, it's been and that was just one time. There's been times where I've seen Mike and I'm going up to him like how was the test, And I'm like.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you the story. So, I mean it was you get four chances to take it. He's on his four chance. He failed the first three, so you know, I'm giving up, you know, kind of a pet right, come on, Steve, you gotta make us your last chance.
Speaker 1: You got his nick.
Speaker 2: I cal him in the afternoon, I said, what happened? He said, I didn't wake up. That was last It was his last chance to go. So he didn't get a chance. We didn't get a chance to play.
Speaker 3: But funny one is though they had it really they had it set up for me to take the test and some of the guy that was a minister of the test. Was my first time taking the test in a home, actually in the house. You normally take it like in the library.
Speaker 1: Or at school.
Speaker 3: So it was set up for me to take the test so you know I can get the test. Though I'm excited because I know I got this right. This is my name, I know how to spell list. I got this, I got on all right. Then I opened the test. You know, first question, I'm lost. So you know, I do what everybody else do. I ever could have my way all the way through, though, you know what I'm saying. And I take the test, I slide it to him, you know, definitely feeling, not feeling confident. You know what I'm saying. I just slid it to him because I knew I felt and uh, he actually says to me, He's like, yeah, man, how did you do? I'm surprised you didn't have any questions? You mean to tell me I'm supposed to ask him. If I would have known that, I probably would have had a national championship at Arizona because I would have asked him every question.
Speaker 1: I got every one of them right.
Speaker 3: But so, long story short, I ended up not being able to play, and where I'm from, I stayed in a lot of trouble in my hometown, and his mom seen something me in me that I didn't see in myself. She did not allow me to go back to my hometown. She made me stay with his brother and they took me working out. They had me working out and doing all these things. And she woke me up on money and took me to the Phoenix Sons practice facility. I had no idea why I was going there. I ended up trying out for the Phoenix Sons and ended up getting drafted because of his mom. So that's that's the relationship relationship that we had. Also, I got to tell this story too. His mom don't like me telling this story, but I got to tell listen too. Since I'm telling my story, everybody knows about the story about me calling my wedding off because the prenumber pre number wasn't signed.
Speaker 1: Well, I was heard about it, and I was crying and I was just had snot all kind of stuff coming out of my face. I'm sure that nose producing too. It was I probably needed a beach child. Yeah, okay, facts.
Speaker 3: And his mom came in the room, white Nott and my tears away with her bare hands and told me I became a man today and I never forget that, and I love her to depth.
Speaker 1: So shout Bill.
Speaker 3: But let's talk about you know, I was on the I was on campus the first semester of you being in Arizona.
Speaker 1: You wasn't in school though you were just chilling. I was working parl Arizona. I tell people I didn't take no trip because I played sports year round. But if I would have took the trip at Arizona, I probably would have went to Arizona, said the U c l A. So I know you was out there, Poppet, And I'm with Mike Dibbie too. Yeah, we were working out.
Speaker 2: I was in class. He was at home, you know, working out doing what Steve does.
Speaker 3: Yeh talk about though that that that not only Shadow Mountain because we didn't get a chance to talk about that, but being a star in high school. Like people don't know the star you was in high school and the numbers you were putting up in high school. You know, I've seen plenty of games when you play against guys like Shae Cotton, and a lot of these guys were talked about more than you, but you end the game with forty points. Talk about, you know, being that big in high school and still been able to succeed and make it to the top of bad in the NBA.
Speaker 2: It was tough because back then, no players really ever came out of Arizona. There wasn't that many, you know, they always went to either New York, Texas or California, and just to just to put Arizona the map. I think I kind of did because after that we have a lot of all Americans after that, as far as like Jared Baylists, Richard Jefferson, Channing, Chann and Fry when you go down the line. But it's just I love the game. You know, I've been around my whole life, and you know what I mean, I never really thought of like like once college is started looking at me, I got my first letter, I'm like, damn, somebody like I'm getting recruited, you know what I mean. And I mean it's a good feeling and just just to come from Maryland. Like I said, they always tried to, you know, back then, they try to give the number one point guard to Sehean all the way because it's from New York. But they they can never give it to him because I kept, you know, I kept making my stock rise. So it's just a great feeling just to you know, I think, to put Arizon on the map and just you know, play with guys like you. I think we have probably one of the best classes you know in Donald's game.
Speaker 1: Name some of the people in that class.
Speaker 2: Just so people know, Kobe Bryant, Neil, Tim Toms, Steve, Richard Hamilton, Richard Hamilton, team Cleeve. I mean you could go all the way down the line. It's like, I mean, it was crazy, but I mean it was fun. They beat the ship out of us too. So they started the game this ain't gonna be This ain't gonna be fair.
Speaker 1: Who was on your team?
Speaker 2: I think I might have been Court Benjamin. Yeah, that's it. Their whole starting five came out of high school.
Speaker 1: Kobe, Tim Thomas, Richard Hamilton, San and uh Lauren Woods. Yeah, Lauren Woods, Ye, la Woods.
Speaker 2: I could you know when they started the game off with it dunk like it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be a long day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I mean it was fun, you know, just to be around these guys. Like I said, I met Steve probably when we're in high school. Remember, was hanging out in Las Vegas tournament and we are high school beat Oak Hill if you believe it or I did. But uh, that's the first time he like really met and hung out. And you know when you say it was comeing to Arizona, like we're gonna do big things over there. Fast to tell I never got there. We never got a chance to see that though. But it was fun though. I mean it was funny, like you make you make relationships with the same thing with matd Like we played here. I didn't really know madd before, I mean playing here, but we played here, became really good friends and and it was just fine. You make you meet longtime friends and keep and they become family.
Speaker 3: So talk about Loudo being recruited by the great Ludolson and the pancakes that his wife used to make.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like a fictional character like you like, like if you really don't know him, like you like, he was the biggest man in Tucson, Arizona. You know, was hero, was never messed up. What you can never tell kind of they had. It was just I mean, I think it's probably one of the greatest coaches all time. And I mean just the way that he coached us and let us play. And you know, you have a lot of coaches today that try to restrict kids and what they can and cannot do, and he just let us play. And I think that kind of blossom and the play in the tournament will kind of help me out of out of okay, freshman season and then when it got to the tournament, he told me put me in the rooms, like Mike, I need you to be you. And I think that's what. Okay, He's gonna let me do what I do. And that's when I kind of took.
Speaker 3: Off talk about why does Arizona Guards have so much success? You, Jason Terry, Gilbert, erena Is, Miles Simon, Iggy, Damon stout of mind.
Speaker 2: It's so many guys. Olson is that reason? And he just let you play. I mean he recruited you for a reason, you know, not like some cost recruit you. But you can't do the same thing you were doing when you were playing there. You know, he let us.
Speaker 3: He recruited us for that reason as a freshman. Uh win the championship. After the championship, what is your thoughts? I mean I was there, so I know what would you think?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: But on the road to the championship again, Mike's team was like subpar, right they needed it was heavy back then. I mean, they beat Paul Pierce in Kansas, they beat North Carolina with Vince Carter, Antoine Jamison, They be Kentucky with Ron Mercer and Derek in like it wasn't no cakewalk. Mike's team every round was the underdog. And once that light came on and Mike started being himself and putting the ball in the basket, this team went on a run. So what was that experience? Like?
Speaker 2: It was? It was crazy? Like I said, we were five hundred in the pack ten. We were hoping to get in, right, you know what I mean, Like we're watching the thing like hopefully, hopefully we get in and they gave us number four seed. We almost lost the first two games to College of Charleston in South Alabama, so we had we were down like half like towards gonna have. But then I think after that and we had none to lose, like no one really expected us to win after that, and so I think we just went in played like hy were supposed to play, and things fell the place.
Speaker 1: M h. So you win the national championship, you go back for your sophomore year, right, Yeah, how'd that go?
Speaker 2: It was good? I got Packed ten Player of the Year. People wanted me to leave after my freshman year, but I wasn't ready mentally or physically. I wasn't ready, And you know, I thought one more year would helping me. And then the year that I had I knew I was ready and it was it was time.
Speaker 1: So you end up being the number two selection by the Vancouver Grizzlies in the nineteen ninety eight draft, the lockout year, very deep draft class though, Vince Carter, Dirk and Whiskey Paul Pierce to name a few, any good pre draft store He's going up against anyone? Or who was gonna pick you? Or did you actually really tell Vancouver don't pick me? Like there's a lot of rumors going on out there about how did the draft process went down for you?
Speaker 2: It went, Uh, it was in Vancouver's the first year was in Vancouver. It was supposed to go. It was between me and Oliver Candy. Who was gonna go number one?
Speaker 1: I went? I went.
Speaker 2: I only worked out for the Clippers. I was the only team you worked out worked out by myself. Shot ran a little bit. It was bout for like a thirty min hour workout that gave me a bag like with all Clippers stuff. So I'm thinking, like the Clip's gonna pick me. I had pretty good workout. So we get there, We get to the draft and my agent, David Folk, want the best to do it. He's, you know, going back and forth. We don't know, they don't know who's gonna pick it. They don't wanna pick yet. So the day of the draft, I'm sitting at the table and he comes down and says, they're gonna take all the candy. Vancouver is gonna take you. You know, I'm nineteen years old. I don't really want.
Speaker 1: To be out the country.
Speaker 2: So I go upstairs. I talk to the general manager and the head coach and I tell him I'm not I remember this day like it was yesterday. I'm sitting with my mom. I'm looking out the windows, raining it's gloomy. I'm just like I just told him. I said, I don't I don't want to play here, and they were like, we're gonna pick you anyway, So you know what I mean, you know, but it was it was something I think that everything happens for a reason, I think, and for to get traded there. We had an owner named Michael Heisley Rest in Peace, and he gave me the top five places I want to go because they're going to move the team to Memphis, and give them top five places. You know, I named here. I named Phoenix. I named a few other places and and he said, well, where's the number one place you want to go? And I said Sacramento. And I mean there was nothing said. I mean, he didn't say anything to me after that. I remember I was in the gym working out. It was like one in the morning at home, and I got calls from people from here and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, this is after what your second year, say, three years of Vancouver.
Speaker 2: And so my brother gets a call, my brother World WI. So he gets a call it, he gets a call. He's like, you just got traded to the Kings. It's like, well, shit when somebody who called me? So I go out to my phone. I got a Vancouver number. That's always happens. You got a call from Vancouver, you get a call from Sacramento. And I was like, shit, it happened. And I mean, I mean it was the best, the best then in my life.
Speaker 1: But I mean, this, let's take a step back, because you know, obviously, small town Sacramento, this is not normally a free agent destination. Guys don't really say I want to go to Sacramento. You know, they just don't. I mean, as much as I love it, but what drew you to sack. Obviously there was some talent here, But what drew you to sack when you would put them number one on your list?
Speaker 2: This excitement? You know, I get a shot at Jay will I saw Jay Will on here. I give him a shout out. Now, I didn't know how it was going to be coming in and replacing him. I don't know how the fans would take me or nothing like that. And they made like the team was crazy. I came in, they act like I've been there for ten years. It was just easy to fit in. And that's what the fans made it easy, and it just was comfortable for me. But I remember coming. What made me want to come to Sacramento is the excitement that that the fans and all that. But I remember in the Vancouver Brizzlies, no one comes to watch us play. So I remember it's the last game of the season and we play here and I'm looking around, like, fuck, it's it sold out? Like how we never played sold out in the games, you know, Like you watch our film and it's like people in there, you know what I mean, And I'm in there, like I would love to play in the environment like this every night.
Speaker 1: That's dope, And I mean that was the main thing.
Speaker 2: Should I want to go to Sacramento.
Speaker 1: So the interesting thing about this is obviously we had Jay will on the first live show here and he said something you normally don't hear athletes say. And he said something I'm paraphrasing, but something to the Sacramento made the right decision trading me for Mike Bibbie because when they traded for Mike, they got better. So what does that mean to you? Like you said, you're kind of worried about how am I going to feel these shoes or how are they going to take me? And the guy you know twenty years later, twenty plus years later, the guy you're traded for, like said, Hey, the team made the right move because you made that team better.
Speaker 2: I love j will Man. We played in the TVT the first year the tv T came out. We ended up playing on the same team. But like I said, I get him a shout out to I think he brought the lotless sitement here to start the thing anyway, And like I said, I'm not that exciting player. You know, I played very old school and try to get the job done. And like I said, I know how it fit, but child j will making the team excitement, making the place for people wanting to be.
Speaker 1: So you were one of the OG members of Team Jordan. Take you back to nineteen ninety eight. You were a handpicked by Michael Jordan. When I tell you, this motherfucker outside of mj has the most Jordan's. Maybe Carmelo maybe, but Mike, and Mike has a pretty much a house full of Jordans. But tell me how that experience happened, how you became a Jordan member, and how you still be getting Jordan's to this day.
Speaker 2: It was so I come in the draft like that year. Everything was down, like the shoe contracts or everything was so. It wasn't a lot of money. It was between well Puma kind of. It was Puma and Nike kind of, you know, the two main people. Who was Puma was gonna get me the most money, and they sent me a box in the sides twelve and a half. The sho would look like the shoe was like that long. I said, I can't, I can't where it is. And it was like all fluorescent color and stuff back then, you know fluorescents.
Speaker 1: In that I wasn't in because back in the day it was you had to wear your team colored pretty much, especially in the NBA.
Speaker 2: And it was soccer. Puma was mostly soccer back then. And so after that I told I told my agent, I said, I can't tell you. I can't. I can't wear a pooma can't And then.
Speaker 1: That ship hop ro it's fresh brot.
Speaker 2: I was saying, oh, pool Man, Okay. Then so my agent, my agent was David Fall, so he had Michael Jordan too, so.
Speaker 1: I look, but also not to cut you off, he had Michael Jordans, Allen Iverson Patrick, all the big time guys.
Speaker 2: So I was kind of me and Elton Brawner his last two people he had. So he was like, we would you want to go with Jordans? Would you want to wear Jordan's fucking right? Okay? So he called and made you know, they guy the contract right then. It's been been like that ever since.
Speaker 1: But you got like some guys get like the Team Jordan ship. And I'm not a well of all to respect m JP end up hearing this, I'm not a fan of us, but you had like.
Speaker 2: No one is.
Speaker 1: You had like you were one of the athletes. Though. That got to remake and recolor scheme like the Jordan Jordans that everybody loves.
Speaker 2: But you know what happened. It was at that time they were they were doing that. They were there was there wasn't that many of us, so were they were able to get all the retros and do all that stuff for people. So now that he has so many people now it'd be hard to put everybody in retros. And like you said, the retro cell on his own. They don't need us to market the retros in order to sell, so they'll put us in those other shoes to market those for other people to see us playing on them and for them to like to play in it.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad you got the retros. So you try to get Stack in Arizona thanks to Dane. That didn't work. Appreciate it. So we got another story though, So you try to get miked Vancoux. Are you trying to get Stacked to Vancouver with you? So you're in the mix. Stack gets So Stack you got drafted second round. It didn't work. You went and did some overseas stuff. Yeah, I did, won championships there too. Okay, you might have some kids over there. Yeah, we'll talk about that later. Yeah, I'll meet them one day. So from there, again, Mike, being the guy he was, Mike tried to get stack of Vancouver and tell these because this is the first time we were chilling yesterday and I was hearing these stories. I'm just like, so tell the story how you got him to three different training camps.
Speaker 2: You look, look at how many years do you play? Steve fifteen fourteen, So you play fourteen years.
Speaker 1: So like I should have played seven eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're we're losing franchise. You know, my second year, Steven a tryout for the team. I mean, it's that's spirit political. This this whole basketball stuff is political, and I mean I can't remember how the first one kind of went, but they cut him. So he comes back the next year and get him again.
Speaker 1: This is Vancouver. Now, Vancouver have much so he shouldn't have been cutting the real.
Speaker 2: One one about one about forty some games in three years in Vancouver, So do the man, Yeah, one game out of fifty season. So so I mean I get him there for the third year. I mean he's killing defensively, offensively, he's talking ship, he's being gangster out there and all the type of ship.
Speaker 1: Something I'm trying to wrong. Go ahead, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But that's that's to Steve wrong. He must' ass talking ship. And the last last cut comes and I'm telling myself, said, there's no way they cut you this time. There can't be. There's no way. How much work you out there. And he comes back in and remember we're in the locker room, you qualking. He's like, they cut me. I said, you're lying, and he said, they come me, And so I don't know what you did. Some other stuff after that, but he ended up playing fourteen years, win championships, averaging whatever, and you get cut by a team that wins forty games in three years, you know what I mean. So I don't know if they were weren't trying to win or what, but I don't know. But uh, it was just good. I mean, like people do that, people bringing people to give them chances. And I thought Steve had a pretty good, real good chance of making it. It was just it didn't work up. Like I said, everything happens for a reason and made him even hungrier. And I think he went on to build him how he used today.
Speaker 1: I want to rewind a little bit because I learned the story yesterday. I think you guys lived now speaking elements. So there was one year where my Stack and Dane went out there having a good time and Mike wasn't involved. Name I wasn't evolved. So there.
Speaker 2: I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Mike might have been evolved with tell us what happened that that that one evening in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just minding our business like we normally do, just minding our business. You know, we had a couple of beverages. You know, everybody had a couple of beverages, but somebody that was out there had more beverages than everybody else in the world, right, And he said some things to big brother.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't have said, you know what I mean. And you know, Dane is a very understanding guy, very mild man, very mild man of guy. Nice hair. We don't even bring up his background. He's a nice guy, right, just look at this Caroline, this Caroline his hairtel he's a nice guy, right. He strong. Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Even nice guys have, you know, get to the limit. Yes, and you know he just gave him a high five to the face. So It wasn't really a slap. It was just like a high five to the face.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And what did you do?
Speaker 1: Did you catch the guy? Did you help him up with what you do? I didn't know his reaction. I know we're gonna get up and swing, so I'm the whole closest thing to him was my foot. So my my leg just got jumping and kicking. I don't know how it happened. I was trying to grab my leg, but it's just not kicking it. And it ended up until the business is all while you were trying to make the grizzly. Yeah, that's probably why I got that again because he was hoopid. But come up to him. I've never heard that. You know, you made Sacramento destination. So you ended up getting traded here. You and Brent Price were traded for Jason Williams and Nick Anderson.
Speaker 2: Brent Price and he was March.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark's brother was traded for you. J will and Nick Anderson was only one two parts of the trade. What was your first reaction coming here? Obviously you've seen the season before, the love, the fans, the energy, and Sacramento to me is second to none. You get traded here. First of all, what was your reaction? And then who some of your vets that you kind of leaned on because you're coming into your fourth year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my fourth year, I was just I was surprised, you know what I mean. I just couldn't. I was in disbelief. I coudn't believe it happened. But my thing was where I was playing. You know, back then, they played inside out, So you're throwing the post, stand over here and hopefully the ball will come back out to you. So I remember first day of practice, I passed it cut through and I looked up and the ball was hit me in the head. And I'm not used to I'm used to passing and going cut through and just go to the side and the ball hit me.
Speaker 1: So couch career rest in peace. Rights to coach.
Speaker 2: He was like, be right to be careful. You go through, it's going to hit you and hit you in the face. I said, I see that ship now. But it was just something that I wasn't used to. You know, I can't. I came here and got to play basketball again, you know, instead of just throwing the post that the two stars go to work and if they get in trouble, be the third fourth option, you know. So I mean just coming here, it was just it was life changing for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you guys arguably had to cut you off. Probably the best Sacramento teams to date. You know, obviously these young teams are trying to make a name for themselves and you know what Mike Brown is building out here. But your guys's teams in the early two thousands were the ship. So name some of the guys you had on that team and what kind of fun because obviously you guys were very entertaining, ball, moving forward, making plays. You know, everybody is out here shooting and doing things and to more to your style, But what kind of chemistry did that team have, because that's what I fell. So I was at UCLA during this time, you know, lifelong Laker fan, but then moving to Sacramento in nine years old, like you kind of get accustomed to, you know, the team. So I'm a big Laker. I'm a big Kings fan in college. So I'm out here trying to represent the Kings at UCLA. Almost getting a couple of real fights because motherfucker's talking to Fuck Sacramento. Fuck you fuck sacrament of fuck. Well, let's let's do this then, you know what I mean. So I'm out here fighting for these motherfuckers while I'm in college. But what kind of chemistry did you guys develop one on the court, but second off the court? Because I know Web is one of your life along homies, you guys at page of V Lottie, Doug Black, Bobby Uh, you know coach Rick Adamman, like you guys had a squad.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing is all those guys that were coming off the bench eventually went somewhere and starts yeah.
Speaker 1: Young hto Yeah, so Gerald Waller.
Speaker 2: So they always they used to be a lot in practice, the.
Speaker 1: Second team, I tell we tell people all the time, like you guys are started as I was a starter in coming off the bench. So the second team and back in the day in the NBA practice like it wasn't no like it is today. Come in, get some shots, walk through shit, and get out of here. Like we used to go to war with the first teams, and a lot of these teams that were really good. You asked some of the players, like the second teams were nice too. I used to them, h e m them used to as did me throw that out there? Go ahead? No, I was just saying how good the second team and how competitive those those early But.
Speaker 2: But the biggest thing was off the court, like you said, and I think v Lotti was a ring leader of that. It was never Is it true that Bloody smokes cigarettes at halftime? I seen him before again was it a Newports? So the thing the bathroom stalls this high as headid. So I go to use the bathroom. He's in there, Like I said, you're smoking a fucking cigarettes. And he just got it done real quick and just threw it out and went to warm up. But Lotti was the Bloody was I kind of like the ring leader of everything, made sure everything was cool calm. Of course, Web was the leader of the team. But off the court of Lotti, you never seen his demeanor change whether he scored two points or he scored thirty points. You always get the same blody no matter what. And I kind of looked up to that. You know, when I got traded to Atlanta, I kind of took that Lotty's and going into Atlanta, I didn't even know. I didn't want to go to Atlanta. I was supposed to go to Cleveland. I was supposed to get trade to Cleveland that year or the year before too, and I end up going to Atlanta. You know, a lot of young guys, a real good team, but young, right, And I was like, damn, where am I going to fit in on this team? And that's where I kind of fit in at taking Botty's role.
Speaker 1: Well, let's not you get hold on, you know, back up a little bit and get into some of this king ship before you just try to send yourself to Atlanta. Year one, sixty one games, the number one seed in the West. You're cooking in the playoffs. Round one, you guys beat Utah and John Stockton. Round two, you guys beat Steve Nash and Dirk. What are some of the best memories, because in particularly, I mean you cooked all playoffs, but particularly I mean obviously hall of famer in John Stockton, hall of Famer and Steve Nash. What do you remember most about those first two rounds matching up against those legendary point guards where you were the better point guard in both matchups.
Speaker 2: I was nervous. Fuck, I was nervous now coming in That's the first time I ever been to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: That why I used to bite your nails and shit, was that not always all your conduct sports and and cutting nails during the game. I'm like, what is this is when I start to pick and stuff when I get you know what I mean. So it's just I think playing Stockton in the first round, my first ever playoff, got me ready for the rest of the time. And when I first came here and my agent told me, like they already established, I don't need you to go in there and try to score twenty. I don't need to try to go and do this. Fit in, And that's why I came to fit in.
Speaker 2: You say, I was just I was just trying to fit in and play off these guys, and like I said, we're playing off the big men and now instead of you know, me making all the plays. So it was just I think playing Stockton and being you know, in our top environment got me ready for the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two Western Conference Finals arguably one of the most memorable finals in league history. You guys are up three two, win game five, you hit a game you hit the game winner in game five. I think it put us up one maybe, but they ended up winning the game.
Speaker 2: Walking through that play, I remember going out and I just told Webb the players for web to see you web to make a play and I told I told Webb, I said, well, if you don't shoot it, I'm gonna knock it down. You give it to me. And I just told him, I said, I knock it down to get me involved.
Speaker 1: So you came off the baseline, came off a pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said that he threw. I threw it to him, he popped out, threw it, came off a handoff and you know, I shoot that shot all day million times sleep. Yeah, So I knew, like I expected to make it. I put the work in that when I missed, that's.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I mean, that's just that's what my mindset. I was strong mind, and my mindset was I put enough work in that I'm gonna knock these shots down.
Speaker 1: So it starts getting a little fuzzy. Game six where talked was about Game six. One ref that was in this series was arrested by the Way for cheating and this was a game that they definitely got cheated, but talked to us about the game. Also was a refinour series in Golden state. You got kicked out, that didn't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember the night before, you know, I was in l a talking man ship.
Speaker 1: You're not really big ship talking. But I kind of find out like I used to watch, like when you played the Lakers, you had a little different swagger about you when you played.
Speaker 2: Like they made me like that. I didn't want to be like that. You know, you go to LA they talk shitty when you're walking down the court. You're standing there, mind your business, and they get you started. You know, they poke a sleeping beer. I'm just out there doing my job and they kind of wake up. I'd like playing there, you know what I mean. But the night before the game, we had a guy named Chuckie Brown, you know, a fourteen year VET, and he was like, I said, shit, I'm talking, I'm talking ship. I'm on the red cars at the movie things. It's over radio stations, and you know, he tells me, like, be careful because it's it's not what it seems like bullshit in no way. And so I'm obviously you seen what happen in the game. But I mean, we were definitely the better team that year. I know that for sure, but I still can't I still can't watch I still can't watch the tip out and shot like I watched the highlights of it.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to that turning off, I mean, with all due respect to those Laker teams, because they were great, I mean I felt I think a lot of people felt like you were guys were the best team in the league. Obviously, the next round they walked through New Jersey, New Jersey with the sweep. Yeah, for us, swept the ship out of them. But I mean, you guys were the.
Speaker 2: Better team than them, guarantee. I mean I know that for a fact. You know, you could, you could you could see, you could you could see the look on their faces that you were it was over. Yeah, you know what I mean. And I mean it's just good to see, like basketball players know when you see that look of defeat. They had the look of defeat, and you could tell.
Speaker 1: Did you ever talk to any former Lakers about that?
Speaker 2: Hold on? What? Huh?
Speaker 1: What didn't make sense? Y'all was not the better team? Y'all lost? No the better team one stop it. Don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: Ain't no way, y'all. We shipped the bend in Game seven, but it shouldn't even went to Game seven. This might have been over. It should have been over in five.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let y'all have that. So you guys were like, if I recall, like I said, I.
Speaker 2: We shout, we shout the free throw line.
Speaker 1: But you guys were like two for fifteen or two for three from three under fifty percent.
Speaker 2: From under fifty percent from the floor.
Speaker 1: You guys also went to the and also went to overtime though, right, yeah, you guys as bad as you guys played the show. Jelani was on that team. By the way, stop it. I'm gonna do that. Johnny was a the better team. Take your John.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I wasn't so I did have a good take us back though. Obviously the ball gets tipped out. Cod misses a shot, right, Coke takes Doug guards and well, Cod misses a shot. Who tipped it out? Bloody Lottie tips it? So your teammate tips it out. We actually talked to Rob We had Robert Ori on the pod last season and he told us about it. But walk us through that. So Cod misses a shot, do you exhale, like, okay, we got this, tip it out? We're gonna run the clock out walking through that place.
Speaker 2: I'm back back in that day when we were playing. We weren't allowed to remount, you know, so a lot of the guards don't remind back then because that's how the bigs get their money. So get out of here, a little feller. So that's all you tell. So that's why you all see guards hanging around outside. But I'm just thinking, you know, they the ball boy teld they were getting our champagne ready in the back and he had to clean it all up.
Speaker 1: And but.
Speaker 2: I just remember sitting there watching the tip and I just watch it, and I mean, it's just anybody but him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but I mean.
Speaker 2: Even if it's like a babble or tip of something different, because much time. Yeah, so it's just it's heart It was heartbreaking for me. You know, that would have been you know, championship for the city Sacramento and for myself.
Speaker 3: They turned this ship out to the the person who hit four threes in the same spour other championship four years straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's funny though. Anyway, that ship with the Robert Horry got all people supposed with friends like this, Who needs me I'm just saying with anybody, could with anybody and went straight to not the damn uh should with the fishing. Our fish would hit this show. You know, they called that on.
Speaker 2: They let that one go. They didn't see that one.
Speaker 1: They broke my nose.
Speaker 2: He didn't see it missed. They happened to miss that one. Yeah, yeah, and we're down. We're down one like fourteen seconds, leter. Often we get the ball back, you know what I mean, who knows what happens, That's what I'm saying. I didn't. I thought he broke it too. I mean, it was a it was a good it was a good old school movie. He hit me with But he's basketball, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So who hit you?
Speaker 2: Kobe? He keep me with a like he was like, could go And because I remember, yeah, hmmm.
Speaker 1: File on Mike's face, right, that's how you calling. Wouldn't called it on Kobe in the fourth quarter. So you end up averaging all said and done, twenty points in the playoffs, you show forty the three point line. You're blessed with a seven year, eighty million dollar deal. How does life change after that?
Speaker 2: Where we live now?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The rookie contracts back then, the.
Speaker 3: Word much very minimal, you know, right, remember when I got my first Yeah, but we're gonna go to that.
Speaker 1: We don't go so talk about how your life change. If we're going backtrack on Jack got his first check? Oh you want to do that first? No, talk about how light change you.
Speaker 2: Just I just you know, I hugged my mom and said, we made it. You know what I mean. It was just I mean it was just a great feeling, you know, coming from nothing and being able to take care of your whole family. No, it's great.
Speaker 1: All we talked about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked.
Speaker 1: So let's backtrack a little bit. What year is this for? What year? I'll set it up, but what year is it?
Speaker 2: Probably ninety seven, ninety seven?
Speaker 1: What but you got you got your little check that we're about to tell the story.
Speaker 2: Still in school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Mike's said Mice in Arizona, steal Stad gets a twenty five thousand dollars check. Did they try to go to the bank seven straight day in cash?
Speaker 2: No, we try to go seven straight days to get it.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't give it to it. They wouln't put it in my hand. He kept telling like.
Speaker 2: The agents, and my agents say I could get if it comes here, I can get tomorrow and come back.
Speaker 1: To my around the house. Yeah, waiting for it. So they was about to rob this bank on the final day, Mike, and they about to set it off moves. But on the final seventh day, they finally give you the twenty five thousand. I'm gonna let y'all take it from here. Yeah, we make it happen. And it's me, Mike, his sister, and my brother. We in the car.
Speaker 2: You come in the check, you come. He kept the check and go in the bank. So I'm coming into my car and just waiting for him, and he just come in and he just start counting.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking at it, like, so there's a real money he did. Y'all really still your whole.
Speaker 2: Life, right, So I'm looking at he counted. Let's go to the mall.
Speaker 1: Spend it all.
Speaker 3: Twenty five thousand in the mall, about one hundred and two hundred dollars left. We bought every Jibo, paul A man and everything I get. I want one for all him too. We got we told them all down about and we got pursed out.
Speaker 1: See it, that was my money.
Speaker 3: You got cursed off with me. He said, that's the last check Steve seen. My mam had never put a check in my hand after that.
Speaker 2: Check. To man, that was fun. That was fun. Man.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, because it was my money, my money. That's like, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Oh man, next season the team is is is just as good Chris Webbers as a c L the second round because versus Dallas.
Speaker 1: How was that?
Speaker 2: I remember that too, because I mean it was a close game and you know, he was gonna he was gonna spend I'm gonna spin off and throw me the live I'm like, I looked at the I mean, like game scoring time. So I'm it's like a close game, Like I'll just throw it up. Just catch it, you know, just don't He's like, I just throw it. I'm gonna go. If I don't dunk it, I'm gonna catch it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, so y'all had a conversation for the play. Yes, he goes.
Speaker 2: He goes, I'm gonna spin off. I'm here and I'm spin off throw it. I'm gonna if I don't dunk it, I'll catch it. I'm like, right now, you want to do that? And he was like, yeah, I'll catch it. So I throw and it goes down. I'm like, ship, I just I mean right, yeah, I know it was bad, But like I said, where was our anchor for us? And he's he's yeah, I played for a lot, I played with a lot of superstars, and him he took his accountability. Yes, like my fault. That was my fault. You know, you don't see a lot of superstars do that now. And for him doing that, I kind of respected that, and you know what I mean, kind of it rubbed off on the team and everybody was held accountable for what they did. If they messed up, It's okay to mess up. Just you know, take it, just move on to the next run.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I talked about how it was deep in the playoffs, but there was any doubt in your mind from the team, from the chances y'all went with everybody.
Speaker 1: With the injuries and stuff that I was dealing.
Speaker 2: With, it was gonna be tough, you know. I think we had another chance to We went to Game seven with Minnesota and we ended up losing.
Speaker 1: I think is that when Anthony Peeler elbow Kevin Garnett in the face.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think he was here yet. I don't think it was here yt we still I think that might have been the next year. I think was after we went to the Western consponse. We ended up losing in seven in Minnesota. I think Web had a shot, We're down two, making a shot three and ended up losing by I think two. But I think I think after that then they started breaking the team up and decided and I think I think I'm window closed. I guess, I don't know. I think we had a little bit left. But I think the next year they traded you and Web, I come.
Speaker 1: To your team in four, and that's what they kind of felt like Chris was coming off of injury. They didn't feel the team was as strong. Chris has a no trade. I still to this day don't know why the motherfucker accepted the trade. But I mean we had a conversation about it. But so we're in We just packed for like a five game road trip. I think it was a long trip, and we started in Dallas and we here on ESPN. We get traded and then we're heartbroken because I was a fan of this team, like being from here, I'm finally on this team being a huge fan of the you know, this team feels like they have enough to make another run. We're early in was it January February?
Speaker 2: We ended up playing you guys, I think on this side like the same.
Speaker 1: Trip, Like we were supposed to go to the team we got traded to. So we get traded and we're in Dallas and we're like, fuck it, let's go out have a good night now. No, we're not going to talk about what happened that night, because a lot of shit happened. I think I passed out in the strip club, was throwing up all day the next day on the private plane flying flying to Philly. But it was sad though, because again it.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, you make good friends, family, and it could be taken away from you. Yeah that quick.
Speaker 1: Where was my big brother? But like Mike was my dog, Like me and Mike, Me and Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, you've become family and friends. Like I said, I didn't know Matt before he came here, you know what I mean. And just be able to be so close to Matt and me mass family, Matt be close with our family to it, you know, it changes lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was big. So we went off to Philly, which was the worst two years of my fucking life.
Speaker 2: Horrible.
Speaker 1: It was the first time and I'm a West Coast for life. So I'm out there and chucks and white T shirts and this coat is a bitch, like I'm on the jacket. I don't know, no real shoes, like, I don't know what the fuck this is. So I'm just out there smoking weed for two years, playing video games, taking Webb's money, and man, I'm not getting no playing time. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be in the NBA no more or not. But I'm miserable. But I'm out there doing my thing off the court though. You better believe that jacket. On the court, I wasn't shit, but off the court, I was nice. So the trade happens February two thousand and five, me Weave and Michael Bradley are traded for Kenny Thomas Simon, John Simmons, John Sammon, a couple other people. He was doing my thing off the court? What doing ship on the court? What doing my thing off? You gotta win somewhere, So what is so? What's your mindset again? You come to Sacramento? This is this is you know one of your top destinations. You come here, you guys make runs very close to cracking egg and getting all the way. So Web gets traded, and what's kind of your mindset after that?
Speaker 2: Kind of like it's my team, Like it's kind of like my team to take to take over because it was Web's team, right and I think that needed a leader or not. I felt I was right for that position just as far as I mean just of the work and the time I put into basketball, I think it was my time.
Speaker 1: H So you end up getting traded, You play a couple more seasons, Sack, you get traded to Atlanta, a young team. You still go out there and put up very solid numbers. You guys pushed the Celtics that year to seven games. They end up winning the championship the year. But what was that experience? Like, you go from Vancouver, small city, not very good, coming to Sacramento, small city, but live a really good team. So now you're off to Atlanta with the young team an atmophere that Jack absolutely loves in Atlanta. But what was that experience like for you?
Speaker 2: It was good? Like it was different, it was a different role for me.
Speaker 1: Uh. By the way, Jack has his his jersey retired in street three strip clubs in Atlanta, still on the wall, Captain trick. We go ahead, Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Mean cause I was supposed to get traded to Cleveland, like Atlanta. I was supposed to get traded to Cleveland the year before, and now I supposed to get traded to Cleveland the next year too. But you know, I woke up from an app and my son comes in, like, Dad, you just got traded.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no idea.
Speaker 2: He's like, I said to wear he said the Hawks. I said, never talked to the Hawks. And so my agents like, oh, let me call you back. It was like right burnt right before All Star break. And he's like, so I could out David I got traded. He's like, no, you didn't get traded. You got to wait till after I said, David some fucking ESPN. He was like, oh, let me call you back. So he got with Dad. He's like, oh, yeah, they did trade you. He said, that's like one of the two because David was very powerful man, and David could block the trades if he wanted to, if they if he knew. So two trades he never heard about is when I got traded from here to Atlanta, and from Atlanta to to Washington. I played two games for the Wizards Tam and he didn't know about him because they he probably would have blocked them. But going to Atlanta, that was a different role for me. You know, they didn't need me to do all the scoring that I was doing here, And like I said, I took the role that lot he had here. I kind of took her to the younger guys, you know, you know, Al Horford was a rookie, Josh Smith was a couple of years out, Marvin Williams, Josh Chill, just Joe Johnson. So we had a pretty good young team. And like I said, my role was gonna change. They didn't need me to score. And you know, I said a lot of picks. I did a lot of pass and I think I mean, like in practice, we are having fun. Like I made trips, like when we get when we get to where we're going, the whole team is going to go eat some dinner, go go to the mall, walk around the mall, and everybody was buying it.
Speaker 1: And so everybody was.
Speaker 2: On the trips and they kind of got a camaraderie together and everybody start feeling comfortable with start film good and started winning games. I think the next year there, I think we won fifty one of the years we won fifty two games. Being from Atlanta not making a tournament the playoffs for ten years kind of like, I feel like I did my job what I needed to do to get there, and it wasn't always just scoring.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you remember about that your first year out there, when you guys played that Boston team with KG, Paul Ray Allen and Rondo.
Speaker 2: Like I said, it was the first time. I think Joe Johnson and me are only two people on the team that played in a playoff game. And I mean the atmosphere in Atlanta was crazy. We were getting our ass kicked the Boston every time we went, but we were holding our own in Atlanta, and I mean it was just tough. They were tough teams, and like I said, we had our own. It took the championship, took the champions in seven games.
Speaker 3: Signing with the Heat March second, twenty eleventh, after clear wais I wasn't playing with the Heat and that experience, we talked about it, so we talked about it.
Speaker 1: So that's that's that's the Big Three. So that's Bosh Wade.
Speaker 2: It was the first year, and I mean it was just different, you know what I mean. It was it wasn't something I was used to doing. It just wasn't a good experience for me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean a great organization, great coach of great Riley, great, everything is great, it just wasn't for me, you know what I mean. And and just I didn't want to. I thought I still had a little bit more left. That's why I left Washington. They wanted me the kind of prep John wall and I thought I had. I thought I still had some juice left. And so that's why I ended up leaving Washington and try to go get a championship player over there. And it just wasn't for me, Like to go stand in the corner and wade and wade so much pressure on shots. It wasn't for me. And you know, after that year, I was done. I felt like I was done. Like you know, I ad I'm done. And Mike Woodson goes to New York and ends up saying, come play one more year. I'm like, Woody, I'm done. I ain't got normal fight if I don't want to like, if I'm going to do something, I want to be all in. And I wasn't all in.
Speaker 1: And you know what's crazy is after you play a long time, like you feel it like I had an opportunity. I saw had two more years of my deal when I retired. But when, like you said, when that fight leaves you and you realize, like, damn, I'm missing a lot of time with my family, my kids growing up, stuff that I'll never get back. We could be playing. You know. Obviously, the NBA is where everyone wants to make but when that fight leaves you, it's a different feeling, you know what I mean? Who ever think like how could you not want to? But like that NBA is a grind and you travel a lot, and all though the money is good and it's we're not complaining, it becomes to wear on you, you know what I mean, once you but.
Speaker 2: To get prepared for it is what I didn't want to do anymore. You know, I work my ass Steve those why come to work with that? And and so I mean I just didn't have an in me anymore. And then when I went to New York, he know what he was like, come play company? So I ended up going to play, but it was like, I'm here if you need me, but I'm fine over. Don't feel like you feel to feel obligated to play me. I'm cool. I worked out already, a shot all the stuff before the game. I'm cool over here. You know, he come, I mean, what he took care of me, what he would come down to mansion would blow out, do you want to go in? Sometimes like now, I'm good and sometimes that ship I'm getting to play a little bit, you know, But I mean it was it was over.
Speaker 1: What was the experience like with Brown d Wade? How good was d Wade at that time?
Speaker 2: I think I think it was still d Ways. I mean it was the Ways team was Lebron's first year. But I get the Way is like a freak. You know, he's probably six to three, jump out the gym long arms, and he's just an athletic monster, you know, and just playing with those guys, like I said, it was different playing with three superstars. You know, only get like one maybe one and a half, you know, playing with three, like I said, it was a different role for me that I wasn't used to that I've never done in my life. And I mean, like I said, it wasn't. It wasn't for me.
Speaker 1: What about Bron How is it playing with Broun?
Speaker 2: It was like a superhuman you know what I mean. I mean he probably weighed about he was probably the heaviest gun on the team. Run that fast and jumping that high.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 2: I needed some of that stuff, whatever it was, I needed that. But I mean it's just like like he like he was the heaviest on the team, and to be able to jump that high and run that fast, I mean it's unseen.
Speaker 1: So as you said, you end up going to New York. This is a loaded New York team with Mellow and Mari Stodamar j R. Smith, our brother, Baron, Davis Tyson, Chandler Shump. Any funny stories just about that team on the bus, on the plane, in the locker room, just saying those names in one it makes me.
Speaker 2: I mean it was good. You know, Baron, I love Bear. That's where were kind of Yeah, so Baron and we were just out some Chima Baron, but Baron, him and Jared Jefferies they both had bad knees. And you know what I mean, Baron said they made a bet who's gonna get hurt first.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was real bad. Jared Jeffery, Jared Jefferies and Bearn.
Speaker 2: They made a bed, right, so Baron one. Yeah, Baron's out on the floor.
Speaker 1: His leg is like this way.
Speaker 2: So we go out there to help him up, and he looked bad. He said, I won to Jered, I mean in the middle of the territors.
Speaker 1: They yeah, Baron blew his whole knee up. I don't know if you guys remember, but Baron's whole knee. He was driving down the lane going for a lab his whole entire knee blew up. And the first thing he says to Jared Jefferies is I want I would not surprised. So, I mean it was good.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a good experience for me there too, you know what I mean, being in New York, playing in the garden and you know, playing for the same team that my dad played for two you know, I mean, so just being in that environment, being New York was a good, good situation.
Speaker 1: What's your relationship did you have a relationship with cob Obviously years of battling same you played together, but.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like, no respectful every time you've seen each other and like I said, you know, I always gave me love, and I mean it's just not trying not to bother people outside here in.
Speaker 1: This real, real close squiet dude, Any any good stories on or off the court with him, ship talking or the chilling or no, no, not.
Speaker 3: That goold say out here now, talk about playing in the Big Three. Obviously, me and you both helped ice Cube with this Big Three league. We both started off as captains. Uh I won two of the championship at the last three. But talk about that experience and just being able to be someone that's the face of a black on lead something that Cube uh started to do and a way to give players like us a chance to continue to play professionally on a high level.
Speaker 1: It was amazing, you know.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I got a call from QBE and I mean, well whatever it was, cubit said they were gonna go uh cut some grass for a little bit down. I'm gonna go with you. I looked up the Cube, I looked listen to his music growing up, and I mean it was just the best situation. Like you remember that first year. I mean, we're selling out. You know, there's about seventeen th eighteen thousand people coming to watch three on three basketball and just you know, just for Cube to even think of us like that, I think it's like that crazy man. It's just it's just crazy to be a part of that. Shout out ice Cube and the Big Three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people don't understand how the lives he's saving a lot of guys don't need that money too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did you get the coaching bug? I coached my son. I've been coaching him since he was nine. But I'll do it when I wasn't playing, So Raymond, my cousin, Raymon would coach while I, well I was gone, so he had coached it. When I come back, I'll coach them. So we had no I mean they were learning nine years old, ten year old, doing learning NBA stuff and you know, I mean I was teaching the kids, and you know, you get you get you get soft spot for kids. Wanted to help kids. You know a lot of my team was kids didn't really have much. You know, I took care of everything. Jordans, Jordan Brand gave me something to My contract is for them too as well. You know, so I got uniform shoes. So we're all in Jordan, you know, at that age, all in Jordan, anybody want to play for you? And I've been coaching ever since then, and I end up coaching in high school. I wasn't gonna really coach. I was go coach in the au and just let it go. But I saw it was high school coaching. One time I went to one of the practices and I said, I gotta, I got to help the team because I don't want my son here. I want my son to learn and get better and be able to, you know, fulfill dream he might have. And that's when I just started coaching. And I mean I take it seriously. I mean, we've had practice, shoot arounds, watch film, We'll do stuff we did in the NBA. This we're gonna cover this. We're gonna cover this this way and if it doesn't work, and cover it this way. The defensive rotation. So I was really putting the time in and really care about these kids and what they do, not just on the court, but making a better man off the court.
Speaker 3: That's why my kids, we all we talked about the joint collection. We know you got probably top two, if not you know, if not number one, joint collection. I know that I've seen it. You got any memorable stories or stories you could tell about MJ.
Speaker 2: With MJ, he brought all of us to a dinner one time. I mean, it wasn't as many as there is now, and I mean he just went down the line and picked everybody, took a patch of everybody's ass, and I just and I was he came to me and I just plipt my head down. He just said, Mike, you don't say much, so I'm gonna let you go. And he just went on to the next but shut down. He went by Carmelo ray Allen, and he went by Derrick and he.
Speaker 1: Went down the line and like knock, like what their weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Now, he was just talking shit like he told c said somethingbouts I play defense. I got two points. Said that don't mean you're a good defenser. Defender, that means you good anticipated So I mean he just I mean he would go all the way down line just ship talk. Yeah, he just he left me out. So that's probably one.
Speaker 1: Of the good time. So when Mike get nervous, he turned real weird, Like how some white people's cheese get flushed, Mike's get that flush.
Speaker 3: What's your observation on the kings now lighting the mother fucking beings.
Speaker 1: So you're back in the family now one more time. Mike is a part of the King's family, and y'all have to see Mike all the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love to see him always. You always want to see him do good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think this is where my heart still is. You know, I spent a lot of my time here, Like I said, I got was here for almost seven years, got a lot of friends, and my heart's here for to seeing them finally start doing good and everybody getting back until I love to see it like it's Matt said, being a part of the NBC sports stuff. You know, I think it's just a it's gonna be great for me just to be a part of the team.
Speaker 1: Againe Dope Dope, all right, man, Well, I hope you guys are in Jersey in there though. No, Bro, there's a store. Now there's a gang. I'm like, well, there's a real number ten in town. Now, the best number ten. The best number ten is the current number ten. Huh. Now you still want to put it up? Yeah, come on now. Yeah, we're gonna talk to some people about that. Yeah. Yeah, that shit definitely need to be in the raptors. But I will hope you guys have enjoyed this so far. Right now we're coming down to the tail end. This is called quick hitters. So first scene to come to mind. Let us know, and you can go back and relive one night of your career on the court, not off the court. We're not talking about off the court. Ship one game in your career. Break it down, what would that be and go back and change it? No, just just ReLit it one more time, Like tomorrow, you're gonna go play that game.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say a game, I would say getting drafted. Just I mean, it's like a dream come true. Like my I was never big headed to where like I'm walking around I'm gonna be this pick coming up. When it when it finally happened, it was it was the greatest feeling in the world because you you you look at it as a kid wanted to be there and finally coming from nothing, you finally get to do it. I mean, it's the biggest thing that ever happened in my life.
Speaker 1: You pledge for going to black and play on the black Top. Who you bringing, I'm bringing, y'all. I gotta bring y'all to it just in case you gotta fight. You know we was gonna be first take. I knew it already.
Speaker 2: I got I got them to uh that I played with or just for you four I gotta go m J, m J and Shack I gotta take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and Dane's gonna be the coach. Uh your top say security Now, I like a coastic could fight, So we're gonna let you be coached. Uh. Top five Brand Jordan models of all time. I'm not a model, so you know they don't don't count me.
Speaker 2: In that eleven? One five, four three threes?
Speaker 1: Yes? Lord?
Speaker 2: How is that four? H so like one three four eleven?
Speaker 1: I like the nine, the nine. Only person I've ever heard say like the nine. If y'all like me, you don't know what the fuck he just said. Just gonna look, just gonna look those numbers up. Top five din against dead or live. Five people you want at your dinner table, dead or live pop mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Muhammad Ali, mum, M, Mike Tyson, m Jackie Robinson, Uh, Biggie, the hell of the table, Mike.
Speaker 3: Who do you want to see on all the smoke burn out? Who you want to see on all the smoke. But before you answer that question, you have to help us get your answer on the show. Who I'm sucking all over this question? M j oh, hold on, hold on, hold on, We need your help, Mike.
Speaker 1: We have to simultaneously text this brother, all right.
Speaker 3: I think we can work up from both angers, because he actually said he would do it when I talked to him.
Speaker 1: But I think me and you being both on George, I think we can. If you don't want to know me his number, I'll text that motherfucker too. Whatever. Yeah, right, well, man, we hope you guys appreciated this night, tonight or this day. Excuse me, give Mike Vibe a round them clause. Thank you for coming right George in the house. George was on the Laker teams, was on the teams. Thank you again, Urban Roots, Rob the whole family. We appreciate you. God give Urban Roots a round of the place. Yeah, stack of kidneys on your ass. And right now we're gonna do something a little different because obviously we love Sax, so we're gonna get We're gonna take a handful of questions right now, So you guys have any questions for myself, Stack or Mike, raise your hand and we will bring you the microphone. Are you gonna come to the middle and get the microphone? Because this guy over here with the curly hair is looking confused. So we got some questions. Who wants a question? All right? Here, come on, step to the mic Oh you got here? Next, get line?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Hey, Mike, who do you think is the best point guard in Lake currently?
Speaker 1: And who do you think new player that resembles your game? Cool?
Speaker 2: I think Steph is the best point guard in the league. Anybody resembles me? I don't. The game has played a different way now, so.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I wasn't really an ISO guy like that. You know a lot of stuff io now, so I really can't. I don't really think anybody right now?
Speaker 1: Could you imagine might getting ten threes a game? Just off the rip? Could you imagine you shot so you shot maybe twelve fifteen shots a game. Can you imagine playing in this era getting you know, I'm gonna get eight ten threes every night?
Speaker 2: The most I think I ever averaged threes was like six or tenths a game, right, you know, to shoot fifteen threes twenty threes game? Right, that'd be fun, a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Next question, can you please share your fat Joe sneakers story?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, good one. Okay, he put he put a lot on it. But but you know he came to the house. You know he had like ten people with him. No, he's in my closet, and he I look back.
Speaker 1: First of all, this closet's like a fucking bedroom warehouse, the warehouse.
Speaker 2: Well, I walk in and I look back. I shown the shoes that I have. So I looked back and I see like five of his guys with shoes that like, I only have one pair of Like, if I got more, I'll give shoes out if I have an extra payer, but I don't like one pairing. I was like, Joe, you can't. You can't take all five. You could have one. And he ends up there was a shoe. I never made an All Star game, but they made a shoe for me just in case I made one. And I think there's only one pair of made, and I'm thumb humbled, like, please don't pick this one, Please don't pick this one. And he was looking around like and said, I'm gonna take these, and so he ended up taking them.
Speaker 1: What pair were they?
Speaker 2: The nine lows were like, there was like silver, yeah, ten on the back, but it was white with silver and he and he took him, he put him in the store. But I mean he was gonna do something for me, my sister. My daughter wanted to be a singer. And I said, I have no problem, you're taking the shoes, just do a song.
Speaker 1: With my daughter.
Speaker 2: And he was like, no, prom did.
Speaker 1: You want to do the song? No?
Speaker 2: He was scared.
Speaker 1: But that's a lifelong offer. So you got someone else to be able to plug jail with a song. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't rough him up. I didn't choke him. I didn't. I didn't do that like he says I did. But I was kind of heartbroken. That's what shit he took.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody else. We got a couple more questions. Come on, step to the mic. Don't be scared, Matt.
Speaker 2: This person is for you.
Speaker 1: You want a bran man.
Speaker 3: I did not expect you to sound like that, all right, I ain't tipping. I'm not ain't chipping.
Speaker 1: Bro Hey, I ain't tip. You know what I'm saying. I did not expect you to sound like that, my nigga, Go ahead on, do you what you do? I wouldn't leak for that, Okay.
Speaker 2: So Matt persure for you. So you want a championship with in twenty seventeen, do you have any good stories that.
Speaker 1: Golden State team. I came into team late, got hurt right before the playoffs. But I think one thing I remember about that team is, you know, arguably that was one of the greatest teams in NBA history. But what I remember was to have Steph Clay, KD Dre, have a rock star coach and Steve Kerr. There was no egos. Everybody enjoyed coming to practice. We had fun on and off the court. Off days, the whole team was in getting extra work. So I just think the what I remember most is just the camaraderie. And then my twins at the time were like seven or eight, So when we won a championship, I got them championship rings, so they were able to get rings. But when we won the championship, like the twins were on stage like trying to check take the MVP trophy from KD take the championship pro like there's literally filming them like my homies, like, yo, I see your kids on ESPN trying to steal his trophies from Stephen KD. So that experience was a great experience for me. And again, I think what I remember the most was just how much that team fucked with each other then trying to give me the same something. But it's them to let you go ahead. I ain't doing it. I'm just saying any other questions, We've got a couple more. Anybody right here? Go ahead. I think you got a Mike Baby go Is that a Big Three jersey? Yeah? Comes on? Question? God, Daln you go next, Gina? What you what's your question? Gene? That is definitely one of the worst teams in Big Three history too. Take that off. But I call I try to get you to be a captain with me.
Speaker 2: I would I'm already on some I already got somebody else.
Speaker 1: I would want me to gino. Go ahead, mister baby. I think we'd all like to hear your top five of all time? Yeah, I've got a question for you. I asked you that later on, Bro. But what kind of guy is in this beard? Is that just for me? Is that? Because I've heard head and shoulders got a new dog? Don't play? What's your your top five all time?
Speaker 2: Mike Jordan's Kobe Shack Labron Korean top five, top top five of all time.
Speaker 1: Nice? Nice, all right, that you got to go to Jersey on and the.
Speaker 6: Kings went through some crazy times obviously with possibly the thoughts of losing the team here years ago. Sacramento fought hard and went through crazy times, a lot of controversy. What was your thoughts and the fact that the Kings ever possibly losing their team to the enjoyment of actually keeping the team and being here forever.
Speaker 2: That would have been a bad move, you know what I mean? Like this is probably one of the best basketball It's second one of the best fans I ever played in front of, no matter what team I was around clause I mean, like, I mean, it's different, Like you go to La. Play in La you can hear a pin drop. That's why I like playing there so much. You know, a lot of people didn't really come to watch the game. It's a lot of came to just be I mean, it's like a scene, you know what I mean. So I mean just playing for you guys is just the best fans that I mean, played for fourteen years, been to every stadium. You guys are the best fans.
Speaker 1: I seen so any more questions? We got two more. Anybody, don't be shy. A lot of people in here. How about a little man right here on Jack's team. You got a question in the back you want to ask? You don't be shy. Anybody say cool, and that's my problem. He cool. You gotta nice little gidio. What is your favorite parent jordanis to play in? And what is your favorite thing to do in Sacramento outside of pooh?
Speaker 2: Favorite shoot of playing was probably either of my nines or thirteen's nines were kind of narrow from my foot a little bit, but the thirteens, I'd probably say thirteens. And outside, I mean, I have a lot of friends here in family, so you know, I'll go people's house and the barbecue and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So soun Tan, you don't do much of that.
Speaker 3: He'll come to your barbecue, but he bringing his own chicken fingers, you chicken fingers, and front he ain't eat your food because it a certain way.
Speaker 1: PRIs every day. But anybody, last question for Mike or for Stack, anybody who hasn't asked a question yet, going once? Come on, bro step up, Jane, you and because I say Mike bench pred spotting partner niggas spot might go to bench Press. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So other guests, you usually talk about artists and music and really big into music. What type of music do you like to listen to and in that genre? What's your top five artists you like listening to?
Speaker 2: All right, I love po pod is my favorite all the time. I'm I'm on money Bag, money bag yo. Right now, I'm listening to all this stuff right now. I'm just not old like I like ice Cube, I like Biggie, I like pop.
Speaker 1: You old school like us, old school music.
Speaker 2: But right now, right now, money bag yo is my favorite guy out right now.
Speaker 1: Well again, man, if you got yourself around to applause, give Mike round of applause. Thank you guys for coming out. Before we leave, we're gonna take a team photo, so we're gonna stand in here. You guys are gonna stand behind us, so everyone's stand up real quick to make sure you get your ass in the photo. And we're gonna do this, and thank you all for coming