Speaker 1: Ring, Ring Ring.
Speaker 2: It's the end of a little era.
Speaker 1: I've quite enjoyed myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been a lot of fun. We're not just talking about the Olympics. This is the end of season one of Two Guys Five Rings. With this episode, as we look forward to more Olympics in the future, we must also look back at Two Guys Five Rings, which has really taken not only the media by storm. I think that it's changed who we are and how we look at the Olympics, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 1: Bowen, Absolutely, I have never been more invested in the materials of the mattresses in the Olympic village than I have since this podcast. I've learned so much. We've had such a great team that has helped us along the way. We appreciate you all. I mean, what will you take away and cherish the most after this?
Speaker 2: You got to meet Greg Luganis I mean, that was amazing. You got to go back and listen to that episode in that interview if you haven't yet, I mean that was probably I would say that was the highlight of it for me, was getting to connect with him and just such an icon and such a legend. And yeah, and of course, always sharing time with my sister and really really connecting over world events. I think we got so much closer doing this.
Speaker 1: We did, and we got to talk about really important things like Billie Eilish, like.
Speaker 2: Lady Gaga Ao Ao, we smoke him.
Speaker 1: And of course Celine Dion's wait, that's rhymes. I don't know why wait, hold on a second. No, no, the fact that get thrown into international court for this.
Speaker 2: Oh, the producers are laughing, they're sending emojis, they're cracking. Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, and of course Celin Dion, Hell, that's so insane. My French Canadian ass is going that they're taking my card away. Well, it's not about French anymore, okay, Oh, it's about.
Speaker 2: Italian In twenty twenty six, it's the Milan Courtina Winter Olympics and Paralympics or twenty twenty six Milan Quurtina Olympic Winter Games. Baby, it's gonna be the first Olympics winter or summer officially featuring multiple host cities.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. It's very I would say, Demi Levado and Nick Jonas going on tour together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that it's more than.
Speaker 1: One, in that it's more and in that the world will gather and we will remember it, and we will remember it for all time like we are in Everyone involved is very talented, that's true. You can't deny it.
Speaker 2: In that way. It's a lot like the Demi Levada Nick Jonas Tour.
Speaker 1: More than thirty five hundred athletes expected to compete from ninety three countries across both Olympics and Paralympics, one hundred and sixteen events in sixteen sports in the Winter Olympics, six sports in Paralympic Winter Games.
Speaker 2: And a new Olympic sport. Yes, yeah, there's ski mountaineering sort of the Breaking of the Winter Olympics, which was a part of the twenty twenty Winter Youth Olympic Games. And ski mountaineering. Competitors ski uphill and downhill and use mountaineering abilities to race through snow covered mountains. This is pretty crazy. Ski mountaineering is particularly popular in Italy and its roots can be traced to the first crossing of the Alps on skis. So this is uphill downhill skiing. It's going to take strength, it's going to take determination, it's going to take a whole lot of grit. Grit seven more Olympic events overall compared to the one hundred and nine contested at the twenty twenty two Beijing Winter Games, including the addition of eight new events and the elimination of one event. Uh oh, sorry, alpine skiing. You know, mixed team, You're not in it. There's three ski mountaineering events, two additional events in freestyle skiing men's and women's dual moguls, one additional event in luge, by far the scariest Olympic sport. There's now separate men's and women's doubles events instead of one event open to both genders, an additional skeleton event added to mixed event, and one additional ski jump event added, which is the women's large hill.
Speaker 1: This is so specific when it comes to skiing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you talk about this.
Speaker 1: Well as an amateur skier and we all have to be if you grew up in Colorado, so gosh. I had my French Canadian card revoked for thinking LeAnn reimsong with something by Celine Dion. I'm going to get my Colorado car revoked for thinking that ski jump was. For not knowing what skeleton is? What is skeleton?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I feel like we would know what if we saw it. It's kind of like when someone doesn't know who Stanley Tucci is, Like you would literally.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't know who Stanley Tucci is?
Speaker 2: Some gaze out there. Some people might Okay, so is Sean is weighing in and saying before we get into Stanley Tucci too much more, he wants us to know that skeleton is a winter sport featured in the Winter Olympics, where the competitor rides headfirst and pro okay, this is this is I thought this is what it was, head first, face down on a flat sled normally run on an ice track that allows us let the gain speed by gravity. So this is like one of those like true death sleds.
Speaker 1: This is like the louge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like lose but loose. You lay on your back with your like so you're you know, your first. The only difference is like you're laying on your god darn stomach face first skeleton. Can you imagine there's something about lying on your stomach as you barrel down a mountain slope that makes it feel at least a million times more dangerous than if you were just laying on your back. First of all, I would rather be on my stomach than on my back, and I'll just say that.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just gonna leave that there. I'd rather be on my back than my stomach.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, stop bowen, stop stop bowing. Stop it. I'm serious, you don't stop stop it now stop. Other smaller changes have been made to some of the events themselves, including for the first time ever, men and women will race the same distance across the cross country skiing competition.
Speaker 1: Thank god, equality at last, we have achieved total equality across the genders.
Speaker 2: We need equality, We need parody.
Speaker 1: We need cross country distance parody now, and we will have it in Milan for the first time. I can't believe that men and women's legs are the same. You cannot dispute that I see some amabs out there with with more feminine legs than the afabs, and I see some afabs with mete muscle legs, and I go go off.
Speaker 2: All legs, all legs equal. What else? The ski jumping team format has reduced from four athletes to two, with competition held over three rounds. You know, so there's a lot different And just to speak about what's going to be going down in terms of the culture. Milan will host the opening ceremony as well as figure skating, hockey, short track and speed skating, and then all across a bunch of other cities is going to be different events. So we're talking Milan, Livigno, Bormeo, te Sero, Predazzo and Trcelva. Verona. Am I saying all this correctly?
Speaker 1: I think you are bro Vo brought Visimo to Matt Rogers for that beautiful Italian pronunciation. Verona. Do you think Romeo and Juliet will make it appear?
Speaker 2: I think so. So Verona is hosting the closing ceremony of both the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. So Milan will host the opening, Verona will host the closing, and we better see some Romeo and Juliet play.
Speaker 1: And what about Milan. I want to see Donnatella strut down the runway.
Speaker 2: Gaga again, Gaga again. Let me just say this out loud, just because I know what happens when we do often these things will just end up happening. Lady Gaga is just an Italian girl from New York, So why would you not send her to Italy to be part of the games. I mean she is an Italian girl, that's number one.
Speaker 1: She was in a ski outfit in House of Gucci. She knows what it's like to be on the mountains.
Speaker 2: She knows all about it. She's been there and back. We need to watch House of Gucci again.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we do. Let's talk about some athletes to watch from USA. We have Isibolevito in figure skating. She'll be just Weakshi of her nineteenth birthday during the twenty twenty six game, so that means right now she is seventeen. Wow, and it's going to be held in the hometown of her mother, Kiya Ragarberi Livito, who was raised Isibo as a single parent. Levito is the twenty twenty two World Junior champion, twenty twenty three US Champion, twenty twenty four World silver medallist in the senior ranks.
Speaker 2: I think the name on everyone's lips is gonna be Isibo Isabo.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a great name.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? We are gonna be hearing Isabolevito like that is going to be the name on everyone's lips. It's too good to say nothing of Ilia Molina. Ilia Molina figure skater as well, the reigning world champion and two time reigning US champion. Molina will be twenty one years old during the twenty twenty six milan COURTEENA Winter Games. Is the only skater ever to lend a quadruple axel, the most difficult jump ever attempted.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was possible. It's giving someone Biles, which has four and a half rotations, okay. He is coached by his parents, Roman Skornikov and Tatiana melaninaa both figure skaters for Ruzbekistan at the nineteen ninety eight and two thou and two Winter Games. Tatyala Milanina is also the nineteen ninety eight Grand Prix Final and ninety nine four Continence champion, and her father, Ilia's maternal grandfather, Valerie Milanan, is also a coach. This is giving. I'm sorry, Nepo baby, but when a Nepo baby can do a quadruple axel, it doesn't matter. Competing for the US, we should say, competing for the US of course, the land of Nepo babies.
Speaker 2: Mmmm. Oh yeah, it's our number one export.
Speaker 1: But iliya, if this man could do a quadruple axle. He can say that he can he.
Speaker 2: Can't maybe if he's gay. A lot of these figure skaters, I'm like, why are you straight? Like there's so many straight male figures. That's a lie.
Speaker 1: No, no, I think ilia. Let's see.
Speaker 2: My favorite figure skaters ever were the Canadian couple remember who that they were robbed of their go medal, so then they ended up getting one because of the Russian judge was cheating, or though the French judge was treated was cheating, the French judge was cheating, and so they were they were, and I remember they I remember hearing that they were together and I was like, oh my god, wow. But then they've since broken up, did you know? Well anyway, Jordan Stoltz is a speed skater from the USA. Stilts, who will be twenty one years old during the twenty twenty six mil On Courtina Winter Games, is the youngest ever single distance world champion in history. Stilts first tried speed skating on the frozen pond behind the family's house after watching our icon Apollo and oh No compete at the twenty ten Vancouver Winter Olympics. And let's just say many young people were inspired watching Apollo ens on no at that Olympics. I'll let people fill in the blanks there, Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, inspired to do all the kinds of athletic feats.
Speaker 2: Yep, getting physical.
Speaker 1: Ope, We've got Jesse Dickens and cross country skiing, the most accomplished US cross country skier in history, with three Olympic medals, two overall World Cup titles, six championship medals. Mikayla Schiffrin also for USA Alpine Skiing, having a mass ninety seven World Cup wins at the end of the twenty twenty three eight twenty four World Cup season, Mikayla Schiffrin is the winningest alpine skier of all time, male or female. She's the first athlete in the history of the World Cup to win in all six disciplines slalom, giant, slalam, parallel, slalom, alpine, combined, Super g and downhill. Shiffrin's mom is Eileen, served as her daughter's first coach and still works at Mikayla to this day.
Speaker 2: I had to say all these names have like star quality. I mean, Mikayla Schiffrin, Jesse Diggins, Jordan Stoltz, Is abou Levito come on, come on, I'm not over it.
Speaker 1: I'm still not over Isibo is the one to watch. And let's just say there might be a new sort of Adam Rapon figure. I hope for a new Johnny We're Adam Rapon. I want a new gay icon to come out of this Winter Games. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also have to say, while we're so excited about the twenty twenty six Milan Courtina Games, it really like, I think we've discussed it on the podcast before, but we continue to wrap our heads around how the Los Angeles Olympics in twenty twenty eight, the Summer Olympics in twenty twenty eight are going to happen. Because Bowen literally was driving yesterday in LA on a Monday afternoon, like when there was supposed to be no traffic and it was hellish. It's like, I give it all up to God when it comes to logistically figuring out the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic Games, because there's so many reasons for us to see greatness and glory, but I wonder if we're going to be seeing just traffic and pain.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say this. Let's say volleyball is supposed to start at eleven am on a Tuesday, and let's say on the west side, roll the cameras. No one's in the seats, athletes aren't even there. How, what's the actual start time? You think? What time do you think people will actually start playing? If it's at eleven am noon? No, that is so generous.
Speaker 2: Two point thirty three o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's Los Angeles we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something, especially because all of these venues are going to be used at the same time. Just go with me here. Last week I went to the Olivia Rodrigo concert at the Kia Forum. There was also a football game happening at Sofi Stadium, and also down the block, I believe that Bruno Mars was performing. There was no way to move in any direction. So anyway, like there are tons of venues that are going to be used across the city, they're just all going to be used at pretty much the same time, and the city's not made for it. But I you know, Karen Bass, we're gonna sing.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see Karen Bass. We have faith in you. The nice sustainable thing is that there are no new venues built. I think that's the historic thing first time in the history that no new permanent onions will be built. And I want to talk really quickly about the new sports that will be added. Breaking will unfortunately not return.
Speaker 2: But oh, it's officially not returning.
Speaker 1: It's officially not returning. Here are the new sports on the Olympic program, baseball and softball. They have been part of several Olympic Games, most recently in twenty twenty. So they took one Olympic game off in the summer and now they're going to be back for twenty twenty eight. Cricket makes his second Olympic appearance, returning off your nets and said, one hundred and twenty eight years. Last time, if you do the math, was in nineteen hundred in Paris.
Speaker 2: What else do we have? Lacrosse? Similar to cricket, lacrosse returns to the Olympics after more than a century, but this time in a faster paced six is format on a smaller field, sort of akin to rugby seven's lacrosse and its traditional tennis side format was a metal sport in both the nineteen oh four and nineteen oh eight Olympic Games. It also was a demonstration sport in the nineteen twenty eight, nineteen thirty two, and nineteen forty eight Olympics. It's honestly so shocking to me that lacrosse hasn't been a part of the Olympic conversation.
Speaker 1: Because it's such a good sport.
Speaker 2: Growing up on Long Island, I don't know if lacrosse was huge, Honey, Colorado had the Mammoth, the team was called the Mammoth and those games were electrifying. Yeah. No, lacrosse is no joke, to the point where even me, someone that was not I, would have had no impulse to play. I had a lacrosse stick and really tried to get good at it because it was taking over the culture. So honestly, that's like a blind spot for me that I did not know that lacrosse wasn't just always a thing. Maybe we were just from two areas that really embraced it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think so. But it's a fun it's a great sport. I'm very happy that it's returning to LA. Flag football making its Olympic debut, very very very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we got squash squashly making its Olympic debut in La Although squash was a demonstration sport at the twenty eighteen Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires, para climbing has been added to the Paralympic Game Sports program, bringing the total number of Paralympic sports to twenty three.
Speaker 1: Aside from the new sports, new events on the program coastal rowing beach sprint format. Meanwhile, the modern pentathlon events will no longer include the equestrian discipline instead feature obstacle racing. I mean pentathlon crazy concept. Oh yeah, you gotta ride a horse too. Wait what now you don't anymore? No, no longer will include the equestrian discipline, but you gotta do obstacle racing, which is wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I'm not a child, and the concept of an obstacle course doesn't do what it used to do to me. You used to be able to say the word obstacle course to me and I'd be like, let's go.
Speaker 1: Not anymore.
Speaker 2: I loved obstacles. Now I'm kind of just like less obstacles. I'll do a course.
Speaker 1: I'll do a course.
Speaker 2: I'll do a regular course.
Speaker 1: All my obstacles are up here. I'm putting to my head exactly mental.
Speaker 2: Did you know I did. One of my track events was the steeple chase. Do you know what that is?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did the steeple chase like three years a road.
Speaker 2: It's a distance race on the track. It's like usually thirty two hundred meters, but you have to do a hurdle. Two hurdles. One is a regular hurdle and one is a hurdle that you like. You step up on the hurdle and use it to jump over a tiny little water hazard and you get a little wet when you do it. And I remember I was so excited to do this and it was by far the hardest thing I've ever seen. Wow at the time. At the time and physically, I was like, wow, that was so much harder because you think about running two miles in general, it sounds difficult. Now, ad you got to jump over a damn lake, and honey, that's bringing your mile time up at least if.
Speaker 1: There's a lake involved, at least two minutes.
Speaker 2: And we're adding big seconds.
Speaker 1: And for the last time, what was your mile?
Speaker 2: My mile time in high school was four thirty six.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna miss hearing you say that. Maybe I'll just have to keep saying it.
Speaker 2: But no listen before we close this podcast out this season, I have two guys. Five Rings comes to a close. I want to know, in terms of the opening ceremony, what do you want to see in LA? Just draw up your perfect program, who performs, and what does it look like.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking out loud. I want a Bears in Space moment. I want Acbar to have a whole sort of like moment during the opening ceremonies. I want I just want the floor to be dirty and carpeted for that time. I want the theme of the LA Olympics opening ceremony to be dirty carpeted floors, which is an LA thing. It's not a New York thing, specifically, it's Ala. I'm staying at the Chateau Mormount right now. Dirty carpets are everywhere, and let's see. I want Gwen Stefani to come out and do her Christmas songs, because why not? That'd be kind of fun.
Speaker 2: I want Oh, no doubt would be amazing. Actually, I mean, like I just saw them in Coachella. They were incredible. No doubt as an opening ceremony in LA would be really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want there to be a Joan Didian Retrospective as performed by Katie Perry him Katy Perry. I'm sorry, Yes, Katy Perry. I think Heim should have a moment.
Speaker 2: Katy Prairie featuring him doing Katy Perry. Hi.
Speaker 1: Yes you. I agree with everything you said, nothing added.
Speaker 2: I want them. I want the who shot party in the USA. Ye, it's a party in the essay that would make it perfect. And I also think it's the perfect way for us to end with that wish this podcast. You are truly my sister in sports. I didn't know you were beforehand, by now I know you are. Do you have anything to say to me?
Speaker 1: You are truly my sister in international relations because sports and international relations are what the Olympics and Paralympics are about. And I have had the privilege of traveling to international destinations with you. I see your character come through, I see your curiosity open, I see your spirit just receive the wonders of this planet. And that is also what the Olympics are about. And I have had so much fun, got so much fun with you. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: You and I we are an international relation. And that is a rule of culture. It is rule of culture. Number one hundred.
Speaker 1: You and I are an international relation. This has been and will continue to be to Guys five Rings, Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: You can follow two Guys five Rings on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or your favorite podcast platform, and be sure to watch the twenty twenty four Paris Paralympic Games August twenty eighth to September eighth on.
Speaker 1: NBC NP Park. We end every episode with the song