Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for a day? Da state?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Woo woom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye, welcome back to the Solidburbo boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrandt. That guy over there in Chicagoland, the one and only Daniel Rubinstein, the fifth Sir, how are you? Oh man?
Speaker 2: I really hope there are not four more in this line ahead of me that I don't know about. That would be very strange. I'm pretty good. It's Sonny ish. I ate a not sad dad. Lunch today we had a we have a number of excellent questions that have come in. We have the NFL Draft in our rear view mirror. I don't know if you have, because we played the twenty twenty two I almost by the way we played the twenty twenty two mock draft, looking at players that are projected to be taken early next year and looking at their position groups and situations going into the twenty twenty one season, and I almost sent over a description of the episode that included we examined their units. Then I thought to myself, No, you know, we probably shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Do that family show dance family showing shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm all right. I'm in a pretty good mood. I got a good night's sleeping ast last night. The baby is sleeping more and more, which is pretty excellent, and luck life is all right. I can't complain.
Speaker 1: Didn't you say that the solid toddler may be across the hall from you at present doing his own podcast of sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was refusing to take a nap and standing up in his crib and just not upset, just running through some goofs, running through some some songs. He had me as a one man show in there, and I was watching it, and Solid wife Jody was watching it, Jody without night, excuse me watching it in the camera monitor. He's like, he's just performing, unsure if anybody's actually paying attention. But there he is, alone in his room, running through material. So it's a family affair here in this house.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome one, welcome all. This is our monthly Q and a show. For those of you who are five dollars subscribers on the Patreon, you get access to the video feed of this Dan and I right now are keeping track.
Speaker 2: Of this, both wearing gray shirts. Both really entices you. Yeah yeah, gray shirts. Yeah, it says the solid verbal enties frame no. Less than three to four times, heavily branded over his wall. Yeah, I mean you have a nice little room going on.
Speaker 1: There, heavily branded Forballers dot com is again where you can find all that information on the Patreon. Also, don't forget to follow along on your podcasting app of choice, along on social media. And uh, I guess just maybe's gonna be the last time I put out calls at submissions dot soliverbal dot com for writing samp Oh. Yeah, We've gotten dozens of these and we're still going through them. I know people have written in like, hey, just want to make sure you got my submission.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: We thank everybody so much for their support and their willingness to want to be part of the movement here. We're doing our best to try and get through all those that came in, So thank you again. Dan. What what do we got on the docket here? We got a Q and a show before us, do we not?
Speaker 2: We do? I was thinking about all of the ms in our life right now. We have the month of may and Sinco de Mayos. My mother's day coming up, and so I decided to add a few more MS into the fold with regard to question prompts, And that includes what did I put MS schools? So schools that begin with the letter M matchups in twenty twenty one. I wasn't to include MAX schools, but I figured we might not get enough questions about MAC schools. And I have mysteries in college football though somebody asked about cryptids. Yeah, cryptids, which are mysterious creatures of unknown existence. So creatures like the chupacabra or the locknown monster of the yetti or sasquatch, things like that, and who would make for the best quarterback? And normally I don't love those questions, but it did get me thinking. Yeah, it did get me thinking. So let's do the college football questions first. I don't know if there's any news or other housekeeping you wanted to get into, but we have a bunch of M things to get into, and I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, other than Tyler Buckner Quarterback of the future, Tyler the Creator coming to a South Bend campus near you, I have nothing else.
Speaker 2: Well, and he's also from apparently he's from vaguely where I now live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is she's I.
Speaker 2: Found out that I have like a connection to a connection to his family. I guess they're now in San Diego, but they're very excited. I saw a Facebook post from his mom after the spring game that he scored his first college football touchdown, that they were so excited. So I guess I have that insight into Notre Dame's quarterback of the future. And I don't think I have many more things. Obviously, more and more players entering into the transfer portal. I saw a big time receiver, big time recruit. Ohio State is now going to Alabama. But in terms of a movement across the sport, nothing too dramatic right now.
Speaker 1: I don't think as you enter into old banhood, Dan, we will convert you over to the Notre Dame side of the coin yet mark my work do it.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, where are we going first here with our questions that came in Dan?
Speaker 2: So, speaking of Ohio State, speaking of big matchups, we have Jordan asking about one of the most interesting aspects of Oregon's trip to the Horseshoe in September. By the way, Ohio State plays four m schools, all from the Big Ten. So what is that Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, and Maryland. My math adds up, what is your preferred enchilada sauce? Because I did say Mexican food as well, Single to Mayo and it's it marks the I think a win over the French, a battle the Mexican Army military win over the French wasn't like Mexican independence state, and they don't celebrate Single to Mayo to any sort of dramatic degree in Mexico, but it's big here. So he asked about preferred lot of sauce base, So is it a pepper bass like a chili pepper base or a tomato bas Let's talk about Oregon Ohio State first, because that is one of the premiere non conference matchups that we have coming up in a few months. To you what stands out about in the game in terms of interesting aspects and angles.
Speaker 1: Possibly the earliest exit for the PAC twelve from national significance since they started to play you.
Speaker 2: But you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, and I say that half jokingly, but Ohio State should be a pretty good favorite going into that game. The most obvious thing I think is the Ohio State quarterback situation. I don't know if either you or I is all that concern that they're going to be able to fill that hole. But Justin Field's walking out the door. It's certainly not an easy void to fill. And an early season matchup against a good team. Maybe they're not a playoff worthy team, but a good team the less with the Oregon Ducks. Yeah, that strikes me as a really interesting matchup to see what Ohio State can do new signal caller against a really good team in a big non conference game. That's the most obvious storyline to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there are storylines all over the place. Obviously, replacing Justin Fields is an enormous one. So it's seems it's likely CJ. Stroud, who was recruited by Oregon from southern California. You're talking about two of the deeper receiver groups in the country. Ohio State gave up a lot through the air last year, and so this looks like it's going to be pretty much I think maybe outside of what Seven Banks and New Lok Ohio State Secondary and so Oregon has a bunch of super experienced and really young receivers that could be impact guys. Now got to get them the ball, and that's Anthony Brown and we'll see what happens. But Ohio State going to look a little bit different all over that defense losing you know, some big starting names all over the place. They've obviously recruited quite well. In Oregon, they have essentially I think the best edge rusher in the country coming after a quarterback playing in his first big game, and Ohio State brings back to tackles. There's interesting matchups all over the field. It's just so what does that game look like in terms of it's luckily for both teams Week two, so they each I think Oregon has Fresno State in Week one. I don't know who Ohio State has. So yeah, I think it's quarterback and I think it's Oregon looking a little bit different upfront and Ohio State looking different all over the place. On defense, looking to take an enormous step up from where they were last year when they gave up a lot, most notably in that game against Alabama, that game against Indiana. It was not a defense that maintained a level of play from twenty nineteen. So I think it's going to be a fascinating matchup, and you're probably right in terms of national narrative that you know, it's not just a playoff thing. It's Oregon's the sort of standard bearer right now for the PAC twelve in terms of non conference matchup against another big name school, and that helps to dictate the PAC twelve's reputation more than it does for other conferences in a similar position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for what it's worth again, I think Oregon's going to be a very good team, just rising to the level of Ohio State, especially early. You know, we talked they.
Speaker 2: Were supposed to play last year in Eugene. The game got canceled, right, so I would have had a better concept of things. Yep.
Speaker 1: I think it's very easy to approach this game from the perspective Ohio of Ohio State at quarterback, and they've got some turnover there obviously, But it's also early season for Oregon breaking in some new faces, So what will they do, what will they look like? Early? I believe that game's in Columbus.
Speaker 2: Right, Yep, it's at the Shoe at the Shoe, so Noman, But it's Mastertigue, and I believe it's steel Chambers is one of the running fantastic name. So yeah, all sorts of fascinating and then of course what can they.
Speaker 1: Do early on the road in the SeaBus.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, I will probably say I think it's pepper. Well, I think it's pepper. I do like all sorts of different pepper based enchilada sauces. But I love tomatillo, which is the green tomato. But that's not technically a tomato though it's in the night shade family. I don't know. I'm gonna say pepper. I've had sass franchiladas.
Speaker 1: I've had tomatillo, I've had the totio. Yes it's good, right, yes, it's very good.
Speaker 2: I agree it's sal saverite. Yes, yeah, Okay, let's see. Will Michigan be because of the M theme, uh, moderately mediocre or miraculously marvelous. I'm gonna I'm gonna trend it more towards mediocre.
Speaker 1: I would trend it more towards mediocre as well, Yeah, just because marvelous is such a like superlative. You know, I think we've been waiting for Michigan to get there under Jim Harbaugh. I think this may be the last opportunity he has to actually get them to that level. Yeah, I think I kind of feel like this is the last hurrah for for Harbaugh and Michigan will probably have a fine season. They've got a mean what does that mean?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Nine wins?
Speaker 2: Nine and three?
Speaker 1: Nine?
Speaker 2: Super competitive? If Ohio State is we think they'll be by then, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And look, nine wins for most teams is fine. But I just feel like Michigan faith will expect more. They wanted more when they brought Harball on. I think he's done a good job. He hasn't gotten them quite to the heights that they expected, and anything short of ten wins, for better or worse, is going to be viewed as moderately mediocre. And that's not fair. But that's just yeah, that's just a public opinion.
Speaker 2: No, it's fair. Given the resources, given the relative recruiting success, it's fair to say that nine to three is disappointing. So yeah, I think it's how many years do you have to find and develop quarterbacks? And how many times has Jim Harbaugh and how many times of Michigan recruited a dude who has worked out? Is it zero times?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is my math correct?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Jake Rudock and a little bit of Shaye Patterson two guys who came in as transfers, and now we have what JJ McCarthy as a true freshman or Cade mcnam era, who they determined to be behind Joe Milton last year. Right, So, I don't know quarterback and defense. The defense is a giant question mark of changing coordinators and scheme, and many quarterbacks a giant question mark. Two. I don't know how you can. I don't know how you can be super optimistic about the ceiling of this Michigan team. There are pieces on both sides of the ball, especially upfront on defense. But you know, if we get the best of Donovan Jeter, the best of Aiden Hutchinson, guys like that. But I don't know. I just get the two deep and I think to myself, Yeah, they're gonna lose one to two games they could win or will be out talented against. It's just it's hard to see them as a team that is winning the tough ones and hanging with the best of their schedule.
Speaker 1: The problem for Michigan is similar to the problem that every school in the SEC has with Alabama, Michigan's got to get in front of Ohio State. I think in order for the hire of Jim Harbaugh to be truly validated, they've got to find some way to knock off Ohio State, to move on beyond that final game, to get into the Big Ten Championship, maybe go a little bit further. That's that's what they have to do. That is the measuring stick by which they are graded here, and I just don't see that happening. They could have a fine team this year, I just I don't see that happening.
Speaker 2: If you had to pay to go to a non conference game tie so that's you know, food and hotels. All this is from parish. Invest your own money, hotels, tickets, dining. Which non conference game are you hitting up in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: I had a hard time with this question.
Speaker 2: I had a hard time, Mama Miami.
Speaker 1: I had a hard time with this question because for me, it's hard not to be instantly drawn towards what I think is going to be the best game. I think the best game of the lot will probably be Clemson Georgia. I would like that matchup a lot more if it were in Athens or even if it were in Clemson. But it's actually in Charlotte on September the fourth, and you know how we feel about neutral psyche games. Now, have you been to Charlotte. I have not.
Speaker 2: I've been to the airport. I've recommended Rahman in Charlotte no less than three times on this show shout out Fudo Buddha.
Speaker 1: But is that a reason to go.
Speaker 2: You got Jeff Schwartz availability, you have the NASCAR Hall of Fame, which I've been to and it's pretty cool. You have Hush Puppy availability. Carolina Panthers football, not on nine to four LaMelo ball. I'm trying to think of. If I'm the Charlotte Board of Tourism for early September, what am I selling cookout? Steph Curry went to college nearby.
Speaker 1: Isn't there a barbecue sauce type thing in North Carolina, like a special kind of sauce.
Speaker 2: I think that's more. Well, yeah, it's a vinegar based barbecue sauce, but I think that is more and maybe I'm wrong about this. I think that's more in the western part of the state. Okay, So I think Charlotte It's a perfectly nice place, especially if you're in banking. That isn't b of a in Wacovia. That's where whatever Wacovia was part of. I think those are both based in Charlotte. It's a perfectly nice place. I almost moved to Charlotte way back when, so I think it's fine. But in terms of destination, yeah, I don't know. I mean, is there a NASCAR race you can go to that weekend?
Speaker 1: I have absolutely no idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would be cool.
Speaker 1: I'd be okay with that. But so that's where my eye was drawn first. Clemson Georgia. I am interested in the Auburn Penn State game. And it may not be the highest level matchup, and perhaps I am biased, but that just seems like a fun mid September matchup that you don't usually see. Typically, you'd see that in like a bowl game, right.
Speaker 2: Nicks, Sean Clifford, your hard earned money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I don't know what Beaver Stadium is going to look like in mid September. My guess is they'll have seventy percent in the stands. I would think that would be a really cool atmosphere. I think you'll get a good crowd for that game. Anytime you've got big ten sec like that outside of a bowl game, it's it's sort of an attraction. And look if if part of the rubric here is me spending my own money. You can find a cheap hotel in central Pennsylvania, like forty five minutes away. Dog, you know, got to pay for the Nitney line in. You can go over to Danville and get a cheap days in. So I think, I don't know that's an interesting matchup to me. Do you have any you have any thoughts on this question?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I would go to Atlanta that weekend. I would go see Bama Miami. I have friends and family in Atlanta. You can eat super well. Isn't that the weekend that that first weekend is dragon in Atlanta. There's all sorts of things happening in Atlanta that week and you with college Football Hall of Fame again, good food. I can go for a run, nice weather outside. I think that's my move. Okay, and you get Bryce Young, you get hopefully dearic King. I mean, Alabama should win that game comfortably. It's a cool stadium that I haven't been to. Allegedly, I haven't been, but I don't know. I think that's my answer.
Speaker 1: All right, next.
Speaker 2: Topic, next question, you want to pick it, and you have the dock in front of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk about this question about which m coach would you select if you were starting a new program from scratch. And the four names here that Will has listed are Mario, Crystobaal, Matt Campbell, Manny Diez, and then Bronco Menden Hall.
Speaker 2: Was was that galloping? Was that? What that was?
Speaker 1: That was a little bit of a weird lip you probably see if you look on the video here. I did a little power ranking here of these four. I don't know if you want to get in on this with me.
Speaker 2: I think he nailed the order. But yeah, so.
Speaker 1: His order was crystal Ball, Campbell, Manny Diaz in Bronco Mandeh Hall. You would go in that order?
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 1: Why would you put Mario first?
Speaker 2: Recruiting organization and assistant hiring some combination that that is the trio, right, So you look at the assistance that he's hired. They've largely worked out very very well or I think will continue to improve within the system at Oregon. So it's Joe Morehead and Andy Avlos. Tim de Ruder, the assistant, said, he's hired you know Brian McClendon at receivers coach. I mean, guys have just they've hung around. I think he's done a good job on both sides of the ball and Alex mierball along the offensive line. He's increased the size of that that football staff in a place that it's difficult to win. So we're saying a team from scratch, it's probably not necessarily in a hotbed of recruiting. I think Mario Christovaul will hire well. I think he'll have a plan. He has his own drawbacks. I think he's stubborn and probably has a hand too much in the offense. But I like Matt Campbell a lot. But he hasn't had to organize the chairs on the deck of a major, major program quite yet. But he's turned Iowa State into a burgeoning major program many das. I like a lot because of the youthful energy, the beard and the hair and the defense in no particular order. But I don't know what he's proven necessarily as a head coach from a winning perspective. And Bronco Mendenhall, I like a lot but we're talking about the absolute height of his career thus far as a Power five Conference head coach is not necessarily recruiting on a high level, not necessarily winning a number of huge games. But he won a division. He won a division in the ACC, and it's fine. He's the coach.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with his ordering at all. Okay, we got Matt Campbell one, I have Bronco two.
Speaker 2: He's the culture winner here. Matt Campbell six star culture.
Speaker 1: Right, Christiball third, and Manny Diaz fourth. I take Campbell first because of the culture thing, because we've seen what he's done at Iowa State, where he's essentially doing more with less, and when you're starting up a program from scratch, there is an element to that that needs to be present, otherwise you're not going to go anywhere. Sure, the Bronco Mendenhall thing, to me, I think it follows a similar plight. He has slowly but steadily built up UVA. He had did a good job at his previous stop. We know about that. I feel like if given time to kind of organize the pieces, he could do a lot of the same stuff. He's not as flashy a name as a Matt Campbell, But there's a similarity there that I that I like Christiball. I have him. Third, I agree with your point. We've seen him at smaller schools either a great job at FIU when he was coaching there, and so there's definitely an element, that organizational element of being able to assemble the pieces. I tended to viewer more on the side of culture and kind of program building from the Matt Campbell aspect of things. Many dias I have. Last, what is the body of work with Manny Das outside of the hair, outside of the defense, well outside of a native of my like, what are we I would take any of the other three and put them one A when he.
Speaker 2: He's had success as a coordinator in different places.
Speaker 1: Many das would be like. Fifth for me, what are we going about Jim mcawayne, there's another m mac. I would take Macawayne over Manny Dz Macawayne over Manny. What's Manny done? I love him? I love the death like a brother. What's he done well?
Speaker 2: I mean, for first of all, you're just completely overlooking his time at Temple, ignoring it. I don't know. He's youthful, energetic, smart dude, comes across Farley Road. You know what, maybe you're just not you don't have to pay as much from any ideas, Maybe it's better bang for your buck.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Man. If that's the case, he could probably get Bronco on the cheap. He would take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think of other m What other M head coaches could we evaluate here?
Speaker 1: Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 2: No, Triman is not a head coach. No, I'm not. I'm drawing a blank right now. All right, next question, next question. Also, he said which FBSM program will have the most wins? He picks Miami with ten.
Speaker 1: It's a good pick.
Speaker 2: Uh. So your options in terms of MS, so you have Marshall with the first year head coach, Maryland who seems to be improving a little bit, Memphis seems to be okay, Miami and Miami of Ohio, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota with Tanner Morgan is four hundred and fourteenth year Mississippi State, who I think people are weirdly high on. Have you really like the FPI has them like as a top twelve or fifteen team? Have you seen that?
Speaker 1: Look up? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I I don't know if I get it.
Speaker 2: The Football Power Index has Mississippi State, based on all sorts of different projections, as the number nine team in the country. Okay, maybe they're just high.
Speaker 1: That's one approach. That's one approach. I don't know if I subscribe to that. But I like the MISSOO yeah, I like the Miami pick. We talked about Miami's schedule on a previous episode. Yeah, Miami's got a very favorable schedule, So Miami with ten is is a good pick.
Speaker 2: Will Okay? UCLA versus LSU thoughts ooh early season matchup?
Speaker 1: Am I crazy for thinking that LSU blows out UCLA?
Speaker 2: I mean, you would have to explain yourself.
Speaker 1: September fourth, LSU was in a very weird spot during the pandemic. They had a lot of turnover.
Speaker 2: They were coming back.
Speaker 1: At the coming off a national championship, lose their generational quarterback. They had some guys who had opted out. There was turnover in the coaching staff as well. There was just there was a lot of newness, and I think given the fact that we had a pandemic going on, that there weren't any normal rhymes and rhythms to fall back on to build that team up before the season started. It makes sense to me that it would be a step back here. I'm surprised more teams didn't have a step back here. So I kind of take last year in a vacuum and I put it to the side. UCLA has gotten better over the course of time. I think, I don't know. I feel better about where they're at, sure, But when you ask me the question UCLA versus LSU, thoughts I think LSU might blow him out.
Speaker 2: Okay, LSU has a number of questions, right they have. They lose a couple guys key dudes on defense, but actually bring back a ton on defense. But this is also a defense that gave up a ton didn't get after the passer all that well last year offensively, questions at running back receiver After Boute, whoever starts at quarterback, either as coming back from major injury or will be a full time starter at quarterback, UCLA feels more established. They're not as talented, their ceiling isn't as high as LSU, but the game's at UCLA. Dtr is back Britain Brown has a number, has a good amount of experience, even though he's the new starting running back. They blitz the hell out of teams last year on defense, and so they at least have an identity. Greg Dulcich, I think is one of the better tight ends in the country for UCLA. And you're talking about Chip Kelly in year four and you in LSU with what co ordinators, new coordinators on each side of the ball, right, So there's there's a lot of newness to LSU that they could go on the road and not be on the same page early on in the season against at least a what we believe to be a dangerous enough UCLA team. It almost beat Oregon with a backup quarterback. Last year they lost in a shootout against sc They knocked on a lot of doors. So UCLA might be in a just a more solid place. And I still believe that Chip Kelly is a good coach. So I don't know. I tend to think UCLA has a puncher shot here, man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I feel the same. I I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see a close game.
Speaker 2: Look, you know, Derek Stingley and Eli Rix should be one of the better corner duos in the country. They're right up there. There's a lot to love about LSU, and Boute is a great receiver and he's sort of been in the shadows and didn't get the attention he probably should have last year because LSU struggled the way that they did on defense. But you know, I I like I like Max under center. If that's where he ends up. Can we go first name for Max? Yeah, it could be Miles Max or Miles speaking of MS. So no, I think the upside PELASU is obvious and I really hope that. Uh was it? Deronte Jones and Jake Pete's the new coordinators. So no, I I if that's a god? What is that line to you? UCLA hosting l SU L s I eight and a half?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably maybe a little over a touchdown?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, if it were double digits, I would take those points quickly, all right. I can't imagine that early in the season will be double digits.
Speaker 1: Let's see here we go, ap app State versus Miami Week two? Is it a trap or a mismatch? Dan?
Speaker 2: Well, it would it? Would it be a letdown after Miami gets Alabama?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 2: Where is that game?
Speaker 1: I gotta believe that game in to Miami, but I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: Look it up. It does feel a little fine rappy to be hmm yeah. Probably with Appstay last year is their offense took a step back. I need to dig more into the Mountaineers to know what's going on with this year's squad. But they couldn't throw the ball like they were able to do in years past. I know they've been sort of more of a run first team, but the opportunities with an experienced quarterback seem to have been there, and they just they couldn't get really consistently going through the air. So there's a lot of the the attrition there. You know, having three head coaches in three years, that's just tough. So I like that they're gonna be on more solid ground this year. I think it's it's definitely a letdown spot for Miami after that Alabama game, no matter what happens totally.
Speaker 1: Now, I guess the caveat would be if Alabama blows out Miami the way they blow a lot of teams out, that game could be over early and we could find that Miami's starting to prepare for app State by like the second at half of that.
Speaker 2: Take it all out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but they're the opening four games for Miami in the month of September. Alabama neutral site game in Atlanta, app State back home the following week, Michigan State an interesting non con game the week after, and then who is a Central Carolina Central Connecticut? Excuse me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sen Con. Yeah, I guess a lot depends on on Derek King's health.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's a little trappy. Sure, probably a bit of a mismatch as well, maybe a little both. Next question, let's get to the cryptids question. You want to you want to ask that one sure.
Speaker 2: Which this was from, was a Brian bread buddy, Sorry, and it was a br bread buddy. Which mysterious cryptid would make the best college quarterback? Cryptid? Of course, is your locknest monster? YETI squatch Chupacabra, a mythical beast not confirmed to actually exist, a kraken. Do you have a list of cryptids in front of you?
Speaker 1: I do, I do, and I see the cracking in front of me. It has not been released.
Speaker 2: First, tell me what do you think, just in terms of attributes, tangibles, untangibles, intangibles makes for a good college quarterback?
Speaker 1: Well, I think The most basic thing is got to be able to stand upright and see over the offensive line.
Speaker 2: I think that's reasonable, but I'm willing to make exceptions for the right case. Continue.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm looking at a sea serpent, which looks like a big old snake, like a sea dragon of sorts.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a very specific system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it would almost have to be more of a navy ground based attack if you were going to go to the sea serpent route right or sea based attack. Yeah, yeah, so I'm not sure how that works. Definitely more of a system quarterback. If we're thinking in terms of sea serpents, the obvious one to me is something like a bigfoot, something like even a choop, a cabra which can walk.
Speaker 2: Subar Gabo's not bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a skunk ape, which I had never heard of before and looks ferocious. The yetti is we can have a conversation about the YETI may also be able to play linebacker depending on agility, or left tackle, depending on you know, how stable base we're talking about here, But I tend to color more inside the lines of we need a creature that walks on two legs.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with you the problem with your abdominable snowman. YETI situation is they're built for the cold. Okay, what are you doing in Athens in early September? How you taking a yetti to baton rouge and expecting them to be able to compose themselves physically under all that fur.
Speaker 1: It's the big coolers. They have the coolers on the side.
Speaker 2: I know the mist Literally there's a cooler named Yet this is true. Uh, that worries me. The Chupacabra is interesting because you're talking about Mexico, Central America, so they're used to the heat. Though I think there's probably an over aggressive element to the chupacabra because you want poise, you want a studious gentleman behind center, and chupacabra is just it's just sneaking out in the night and eating goats, sucking their blood. So it's just I think there's there's too much aggression. You want that sort of a more measured player back there at quarterback. Skunk Cape is interesting to me. Ty I read the lore Florida based, so I like that. You like how Florida develops talent, and there was it's something about stalking sailors and fishermen. So there is that degree of concentration and focus from the skunk cape. Still again, I have not heard of the skun cape before today, but here there might have been a record label called skun Caape Records. That's the thing that jumps out to me. But yeah, so you're talking bipedal using using feet legs, So that element's interesting to me. I did not realize that every literally every lake has a lake monster. Yeah, in a descripted list, every lake has a lake monster. The kraken.
Speaker 1: The Kraken's interesting to be because I'm looking at a dude back there.
Speaker 2: It's how you want a dude?
Speaker 1: Well, you do want a dude. But here's the thing about the kraken. If the picture is to be believed, if the ancient folklore is to be believed about the kraken, it's kind of like a super octopus with many different arms. And so I'm wondering, make all the throws, Maybe can make all the throws. Perhaps a bit of a noodle arm like, maybe a little bit of an embook back there. Don't know what his arm strength is, Okay, but I think we've got the opportunity for multiple simultaneous stiff arms, which could come in handy to keep defenders at arm's length, buying yourself time to make some sort of throwing motion down the field.
Speaker 2: Are we overthinking this and not going Bigfoot, who has proven to be able to navigate various terrains. We'll be able to see over the line. Maybe changed direction isn't there, but a number of large quarterbacks have succeeded college football. And beyond the Bigfoot is the Trevor Lawrence of this draft.
Speaker 1: I think it's more of a more of a short thing. I would say the cracking is probably more of a tree lance project type. You could work with that. There's a lot to like. The tools are there, you just need to figure out how best to assemble.
Speaker 2: Upside is absolutely there.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Okay, this is the best question we've gotten in a long time. Who sent the scene?
Speaker 2: Bread Buddy, Red Buddy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, Okay, I do want to talk about this question here from Nick at the right bottom. Yep, he said I had never seen mo when the I Am Moana episode came out. Now, when it's on a song plays or someone mentions it, all I can think of is Tie yelling I Am Mowana can Tie host an optional series entitled I Am Mowana, where he just tells tales of overcoming his life's obstacles. Thank you, Nick, I appreciate that. Can we go Can we go back and turn the page to a very fond moment in solivable history. Sure you hated this show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, super much.
Speaker 1: You hated this show. I went back. I found it was two years ago that we did the show. If you can believe that me.
Speaker 2: Couldn't even tell you what saying I Am Mowana means as it relates to this show in college football.
Speaker 1: Your father of two? Have you seen the movie Mowana. I saw the movie Mowana before I became a father. At certain points, when people enjoy an animated movie, I'm just gonna watch it, especially if it's Disney or Pixar, and I guess Pixar is Disney. But yeah, like I I watched Cocoa and Wally and Tattooy all these movies because they're just good movies. So I watched Molana, which I thought was good.
Speaker 2: I watched Frozen and it was not that good to me, Okay, but I did watch I want to enjoy it, I thought MAUI was fantastic. I thought, I thought Mowana was great. I thought the I forget what the crabs name is, but shiny and that was great.
Speaker 1: Keep the hot Disney takes separate from this. Maybe we could do that on an off topic show at some point. But the point of the Mowana show was that in the movie, Mowana is aspiring to be her true self. Yeah, her people are an island people. They're sort of nomads. They go from island to island, that's what they do. They live on the sea.
Speaker 2: But they they found home, and they found home and they were relegated to an island because they were scared to go out in Mount Mount Mountain, New something like that.
Speaker 1: Let's not get specific. I don't recall.
Speaker 2: I listened to the music a lot with a two year old right now, fair.
Speaker 1: Fair, But they were afraid to kind of venture beyond for circumstances, and Mowana took it upon herself to go out there, to be the adventurous type, to try full of the sea, to try and ye go out on the sea and and fix things. So the whole point of the episode was, in a college football sense, is this program bound for greatness or are they about as good as they're going to get? Are they stuck on their island now? Or can they go out and aspire for more. I don't understand why you don't get that concept. It was more of you making me say I am Mowana over and over again. I think I can live with that. I can live with that, but I stand by the concept. The concept was Okay, we've done far dumber concepts, so you.
Speaker 2: Want to you asking me to revisit and ask me which programs are Mowana? Right.
Speaker 1: No, we're not doing that right now. We don't have we don't have enough time for that. Maybe Mwana version two can come at some point of Friday this fall. To answer next question, I'm not going to be doing a limited run series on Mowana. I'm just not going to do that. But I did want to take this opportunity to see if I could cut to the core of why you hated that show as much as you did. And I think we have our answer now, so I'm ready to move on. Well, it's just it.
Speaker 2: Was basically because you made me say, like, yes, Tye, Michigan State is Moana something like that, over and over again.
Speaker 1: Listen, we got a lot of hours to fill over the course of a year. Here I do this college football show. So next question, my mother's Day. We let's go through some Mother's day questions. Alex wants to know best breakfast in bed foods to serve for Mother's Day. Ty, you have a mother, I do you wish you a happy Mother's Day? I do, yep.
Speaker 2: If you were to deliver breakfast in bed tomama, h what would it be when? And generally speaking, what category of foods makes the most sense?
Speaker 1: Wow, breakfast foods, obviously, thank you, Ty, breakfast.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that insight. Be specific.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of the egg genus.
Speaker 2: You know, I make a wonderful omelet almost not a bad answer, So for me, it's omelet, one of my patented omelets.
Speaker 1: We can throw a bunch of toppings in there. You gotta try and garnish with some fruit, maybe some strawberries, and then I guess it depends what else Mom is into to throw some bacon on there if you want. I don't know how all that plays is like a breakfast in bed food with the grease, but it's an option thing.
Speaker 2: So you start bringing berries into the mix. You start bringing greasier foods into the mix and they become threats to the bedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel about hash browns.
Speaker 2: I think they're delicious. I just don't know if they're breakfast in bed food. I haven't answer. Yeah, and it's a it's a minimal threat, but it's a threat to the bedding. I would go just to uh to get whoever you're serving in bed if it's like your wife because you have a kid, or it's your mother, whoever, and you're a little kid and bringing I think cinnamon rolls are the move, cinnamon rolls and coffee.
Speaker 1: Because your cinnamon rolls are sticky. What if that gets on the bedding.
Speaker 2: There are cinnamon rolls that you could do, maybe just icing on the top instead of all the way around the perimeter.
Speaker 1: That seems like a mess waiting to happen.
Speaker 2: It's it's a potential mess. But you have the tray. You have a tray in front of you, and you set the stage really well with the smell of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. You can go pills Berry, you can go homemade. It doesn't matter because it's about the smell and It's about the effort. So I would say coffee and cinnamon rolls.
Speaker 1: Could you do waffles?
Speaker 2: You could? But are you Are you going berry? Are you going powdered sugar? Are you going syrup?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think syrup. Syrup is more of a wild card than icing. Syrup doesn't syrup runs, I think more than icing tends to on a no, it hardens on the Simon roll.
Speaker 1: I think what we're getting at here is that breakfast in bed may be overrated.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would love to be served breakfast with it. I'm totally good with it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Next question in honor of single to my Oh Joey, we'll do more Mother's Day too? Keso or guacamole. The correct answer is both, obviously, but you have to pick one. What are you going with? You're going keso and i'll you know, any sort of insertion into the keso chorizo? What have you counts? Terza, queso or guak?
Speaker 1: I think I go keeso.
Speaker 2: Hmm, yeah, may go go guak.
Speaker 1: I go keso, but personal pref Yeah, yeah, I'm good with both, but I probably go keeso.
Speaker 2: The only difference with kso is you got to attack it early. Because once it hardens, that's that Yep. Yeah, because that's that's sort of the shelf life of k So Dan Clobocar, what are your thoughts on mud Vein's reunion tour, because it's an m I knew mud Vein, like vaguely. I knew that they were kind of a dress up metal new metal band that peaked in the early two thousands, late nineties, but it took me going back and researching to confirm. And I don't think I knew the mud Vein sauce. I don't have any mud Vein reunion thoughts. Should I get my mom an outdoor speaker from Mother's Day? There's not like thought in that.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like that's a great Mother's Day gift, that's a great Father's Day gift.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. I mean that's generalizing that dads are going to like electronics more. I think dads are just tend to be dumber about appreciating stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's my point.
Speaker 2: I tend to go more personal with a Mother's Day gift, pictures, frames, Bombus, experience bomb us of course, of course, of course, I think it's fine. I mean I don't know your mom, so maybe your mom's into bluetooth electronics. I think it's fine. I think it's the gesture that counts. I'll say this walk today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've tried to get mama h electronics for maybe five years running.
Speaker 2: Now has any of it been successful?
Speaker 1: Marginally?
Speaker 2: It's tough. You know what you're doing. When you give the gift of something digital to a parent, says a good chance that you are teaching, reteaching, trouble shooting, fixing, restarting, tech programming, you become tech support. You're signing up for tech support.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have tried the technology angle several years running now. Yeah. I had the most success when I bought a basket of Italian things, Italian foods, delicacies, of Italian iPads off Amazon and gave that instead just a gift basket of Italian food stuff was received better than any or all of the electronics that I've gotten. Mom age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, in my, if not our personal experience, go with what you know they already like instead of what you think they'll like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, next, qu I think that's tough.
Speaker 2: Easiest way to make homemade Mexican food better. Alexander wants to know on this Sinco to mayo tie all you jims and tricks you make Mexican food. Sometimes I do, but usually I just ask you so you're up. If you have a local Mexican grocery store, I would go there for great fresh ingredients like perhaps dried peppers that you could reconstitute for sauces, salsas, marinades, stuff like that. That makes a pretty huge difference. You can learn about spice levels and flavors pretty easily with Google, whether it's you know, a cho chilis or Wahio stuff like that. Even in your chilies a base of reconstituted peppers like as a pure it's fantastic. Go to those Mexican markets and uh, I think that's sort of it in terms of making it better. It just anytime you can use your own sauces or salsas that you can. I mean, we talked about this last summer a little bit, right with the making of the homemade salsa. True, it's such a difference maker instead of buying jarred elements to Mexican food, and especially at those Mexican markets, if there's a local place that makes tortillas, a local Mexican bakery that makes tortillas that's huge. Throw them just straight right onto the to the stove to crisp them up on over medium heat and flip it with the tongs real quick and crisp up your tortillas that way that tends to soften and crisp them up. That makes sense At the same time, I think that's a difference maker. But no, it's just going to where the Mexican food is best and looking how you can use those elements. Because yes, if you make an enchi lotta sauce out of like a wahio pepper pure or whatever. This sounds like I'm being what was that word snobby? So g g u A j I l l o wahl wah heel whatever, it makes a difference. It just makes a difference those peppers. Making your own sauce and making your own sauces, that would that would make a big difference. Next question, Ty, do you have any more Mother's Day questions that you want to touch on?
Speaker 1: No, this question from Tom here. I must admit that initially I read it as mole instead of molay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what's your best mole experience? Like when you're infiltrating an organization.
Speaker 1: Right, that was my first thought, Like I'm in twenty four back in the familiar with molay.
Speaker 2: Familiar Malay. Yeah, Yeah, it's delicious, very good. Yeah, it's it's it can be somewhat complicated to make, so you know, it can be like an overnight sauce or take a week to make stuff like that because it's really really slowly reduced sauce. I had a great molay experience in Mexico City at a super nice restaurant there where they've been adding to their what they called Madre Molay to keep your Mother's Day thing, Madre Moley, So it's they they've been sort of feeding that molay for like ten years something like that. So that's the ceiling for my Moley experience. And you know, people think that moley is sweet because it has chocolate, but I think it's generally unsweetened chocolate. So it just adds some good body to it. I was just He's asking, Tom's asking how to get somebody to try moley or try to make molly for the first time. Just dive in. Anytime you're gonna cook something for the first time, it's likely going to be underwhelming. You just gotta keep doing it. You just gotta you gotta build up those reps.
Speaker 1: Share any tips for someone trying to make Molly for the first time. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I have no tips. I have no tips. Just keep keep.
Speaker 2: Practicing, real sugar, Shane. My wife is soon to be is a soon to be mother in the fall. Best first Mother's Day gift idea? So we're talking about next Mother's Day or gift for your wife this fall when she becomes a mother.
Speaker 1: Right, I think he's saying, just for first Mother's Day gift, whether it's this year or next. What did you do for Jody with an eye? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, I have no idea because I think the timing was such where the solid toddler was born in late January, So I don't know if we knew the Mother's Day before then. I'm not positive we did. It's possible it was just so early on in the process that we weren't fully ensconced in preparing to be parents, so it would have been the first Mother's Day and the first Mother's Day. I remember I got her a picture of my mother in law holding Jody when Jody was a baby, and we had inadvertently taken a very similar picture of Jody holding the solid toddler when he was quite young, and I got a double picture frame, right, so could put those sort of side by side.
Speaker 1: A generational type play is what you a.
Speaker 2: Total generational nostalgia type play. And it landed very well, a nice card and that so steal that idea by all means it went over really well. So that's what I did for the first one. So that's what I would recommend. I had recommendations for what you can get your wife this fall as the date approaches, but that's not really Mother's Day yet.
Speaker 1: Would not suggest the outdoor speaker in case you're wondering for this occasion.
Speaker 2: If she's super into immersive outdoor sound, then that becomes very thoughtful.
Speaker 1: I like giving the gift of electronics. You know this. That would not be my first preference here. Just got to.
Speaker 2: Say you, what are you getting Mama hed this year? Have car sided yet?
Speaker 1: Have not decided yet.
Speaker 2: She's probably listening, so you probably can't give too much away.
Speaker 1: No, there's nothing to giveaway. I haven't purchased it yet. I do this every year. I tell myself at the beginning of April, that Mother's Day is right around the corner, and I should probably get my thoughts together and purchase a gift, And inevitably I'm searching on Amazon for what I could get via Amazon Prime two days or less.
Speaker 2: Would she find it funny if you gave her a giant framed print of yourself at like a department store, like a formal pose at like a you know, a Sears JC Penny type and you gave it to her in like eighteen framed eighteen by twenty four like now, like you would go now and do it like an old milstep brother's photo. Yes, yeah, absolutely, I think she was something she'd be into, kind of a goof, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she would interpret that as a goof.
Speaker 2: Dan she just like, it's my it's my beautiful.
Speaker 1: I think that would be her reaction. Yeah, Okay, I could try it. I I don't really have any desire to, but about now, that's the best idea I have. What are you doing for Mama root?
Speaker 2: Oh man, oh, I have no idea. I have no idea. She's here now, but she won't be here for Mother's Day. She'll leave him before then she and my dad. I I don't know. See then you don't got to see I have I have Mama Rubinstein, I have Jody with and I right, and so her first Mother's Day is a mother of two. So I should probably get on that.
Speaker 1: Will you do the thing where you get a gift from each of the kids or are you going to do one big group thing.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's got to be just everybody for themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know what else you could do? Ti, Oh, this would be great. You have the good camera that you're using right now, the sony that we use. You get solid wife Kate to take a headshot type picture of you, you know, the blurry background and like something that you would see on the wall of a eye cleaners. You've seen those before where they have like the celebrities signing. So you get a headshot of yourself and you design it and so it says like tie hildon Brandt, the solid verbal SI on campus whatever, like your credits like TV's mash and you sign it and frame it and give it to your mom. Wow, that is she can put on her wall.
Speaker 1: That's an extremely self absorbed Mother's Stay gift.
Speaker 2: It's so incredibly self absorbed.
Speaker 1: You get your.
Speaker 2: Mom a custom headshot of yourself and you sign it over and it's glossy and framed and it just can go in her breakfast nook.
Speaker 1: Yeah that might be a little much, but ah, it may be the best idea I have at the moment.
Speaker 2: So we did those. I did those with my roommates when I had roommates in California. We each took headshot photos exclusively so we could sign them and put it on our wall in our apartment. Right, So I think you should take the idea. Yeah, I think you know, West Coast Kevin a great one. Next one. Any other questions ty that jump out to you? Nothing, No, I'm fresh at it. I'm fresh out any more. LSU thoughts, Can they get to ten wins? Maybe put up open up their schedule, as we're going to close with LSU. Can canels you get to ten wins this year? The best of LSU two new coordinators. Here's a situation in flux. Yeah.
Speaker 1: LSU starts the year at UCLA.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: They followed up with a gay a big game at home against the McNeese Cowboys and the Central Michigan chip Awas Classic LSU non conference games.
Speaker 2: Right there, you're you're seeing three and zero likely.
Speaker 1: Then on the road at Mississippi State, Dan, your number nine FPI team.
Speaker 2: Coming off a bad loss last year, So call it three and one.
Speaker 1: Auburn Tigers. Following week that game is in Baton.
Speaker 2: Rouge, new coach, don't necessarily love that Auburn offense. One, we'll call it four and one. At Kentucky one, we'll call it five and one. Back home against the Florida Gators. Dan, Florida is starting over in a lot of key spots. Yeah, literally threw that game away last year the Florida Gators did. Don't trust quarterback right now with Florida, I need to see something losing a lot of key contributors. Recruiting has been fine, but not overwhelming. Okay, I'm willing to say six and one.
Speaker 1: At Ole Miss.
Speaker 2: Crazy game last year.
Speaker 1: I'll say six and two at Alabama that's a loss.
Speaker 2: So there's your ten win loss. That's six and three.
Speaker 1: Then Arkansas ULM and Texas A and M to close out the season.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be extremely tough. Ye know, eight and four, nine and three based on nine and three, Well, nine and three with the bowl gets to ten. So yeah, okay, that's how you like to evaluate records. They could all right well.
Speaker 1: Write in look Sliverble at gmail dot com As always, that is the email address. Final call at submissions at saliverbal dot com for any writing samples. All y'all want to send it. If you want to be part of the movement, here, help us write for the site right for the newsletter. Got all sorts of fun stuff planned for this coming football season. Don't forget to follow along on your podcasting app of choice or on your social media platform of choice. All of that is available to you. We do our best to post as many places as possible. We only have limited amount of time in the span of a day, but doing our best to be in as many spots as we can.
Speaker 2: Dan, I'm looking to see if any more questions. I don't want any bad ones, best groomsman gifts that doesn't decid feel like a Mother's Day question? Or mouthkin really isn't hard versus soft tacos. Somebody asked about how to know when your soft taco is filled adequately. If you imagine a tortilla as the Oregon logo and as the outer part of the O. I wouldn't go beyond the inner part of the O with your fillings because once you fold it, you know you want you don't want it to overstretch. That's all I have. I think we got to the best ones. I'm good, Daniel. You enjoy your weekend, Hey, Ty, you very much do the same.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 2: So now what beginning next week?
Speaker 1: So now what starts next week? It is our deep dive inside the season that was in twenty twenty. We've got our first one. Yeah, we've got our first one coming up on Tuesday, where we are going to talk about the conference decision making that led to this awkward, oblong college football season, pandemic laden college football season in twenty twenty. You'll really recall the Big Ten pulled the plug on its season and plugged it back in. What was the story on that? What happened there?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: How did that happen? We talked to some of our favorite reporters and friends to find out, and then as Part two rolls along a little bit later in the week, we're going to try and figure out, like what do we learn from that experience and the way that conferences made their decisions, from the way that they communicated out with the public, not just the public, but with member schools, with players, with coaches, etc. Etc.
Speaker 2: The internal politics of conferences were put on display in a way I don't think they were in years past exactly.
Speaker 1: So we're going to start there and then we've got other subjects that we're going to branch out into. Hope you'll join us next week again. So now what is going to kick off on Tuesday? Dan? Yes, can't wait for that guy over there and my good friend Dan Rubinstein. For myself, Ty Hildebrand, thank you so very much for downloading, for listening, for watching along at forballers dot com. We will talk to you all next week. In the meantime, Jul your weekends, Stay safe, stay solid.
Speaker 2: Peace,