Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys Act. Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's a back to work Wednesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio as we get you ready for the Cowboys and the New Orleans Saints. Yes, it's an Everson Walls back to work asday.
Speaker 2: And you know you notice certain things when you're gone and when you come back. You know, this is mick shots too, just mix shots. It's mix shots, mick shots. It's mix shots. Can we change that? It's mickshots.
Speaker 4: We noticed it because Nate was here, and if Nate wasn't here, Savannah's not here, so it was just us too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't like the way.
Speaker 3: It's the point.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the well.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking if it wasn't mix shots, you wouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: Mix shots shot. Yeah, doesn't that sound bad? Nick shot?
Speaker 3: That's shots?
Speaker 2: You want to little bit one hour as nick shot? You know, I was like mix shots.
Speaker 4: I didn't name it we're gonna fix that. You need to talk to somebody.
Speaker 2: You come back, you're like things are different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's the kind of off the walls comments you'll get from Everson Walls. Mix Shots, mix Shots. All right, there are they're not football players on a football fields just yet, but twelve ten, there will be football players on a football field. And Mike McCarthy just had his press conference and everyone is awaiting the word on the roll Bolt tight end and will he play on Sunday against these New Orleans Saints. So breaking news here on Mixed Shots on Mickey Spagnola, what the coach says.
Speaker 4: He's on the return to play rehab group, which means that they'll see how it goes, and that he feels good. And I would like to know the percentage between sprained MCL and bone bruce, because I'm thinking you can maybe play through the bone bruise, but if your MCL is sprained, that's a tough one to say. Okay, I'm gonna cowboy up and play because it hurts your lateral movement. So we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: He could possibly block, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: So I would imagine the idea is going to be try to get him to Sunday. Don't ask him to do a heck of a lot even if he could practice. We'll see what he does today and tomorrow and then kind of judge where it goes. But if not, you know, Luke Scooonmaker, get ready Ford?
Speaker 3: Is it spawned Ford or span For?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's got span Ford? Yeah, Revan's his first name. We've got that, got that right? Let me I'm looking in the media guy. For some reason, people are saying spawn Ford and it never occurred to me, say spawned for. But go ahead, and then you also have another title then who has been injured?
Speaker 4: And Jenny John Stevens. John Stevens a hamstring didn't play last week because.
Speaker 3: Of that and coming off in a c L and we'll.
Speaker 4: See where he's at. But there probably the only elevated one player last week.
Speaker 3: We left out one player.
Speaker 4: And on tight end, well, Hunter Lepke, if that's.
Speaker 3: On her Lipke, on her lipke? Who got how many snaps did Hunter Lipke? Get? Let me look big green notebooks. He got twenty five snaps or something like that. Yeah, And Brian Schottenheimer was singing his praises twenty snaps and twenty five on special teams.
Speaker 2: Did he get any the tight end?
Speaker 4: Well, you know he's full back, but he could play h back.
Speaker 3: Now there was Schottenheimer did say when he talked with the media on Monday, and this is just an example of the versatil. He loves Hunter Lipke and he thinks I got a steal with Lipkey. And there was one play in particular in the game against Cleveland where he, because of the injury to Ferguson, got inserted into the game and he was supposed to do something that they hadn't wrapped all week and he did it perfectly, and just it was an example of how coachable he is is and just how smart he is. And you know, I can see him playing a role if Ferguson can't go where they could use him in a role. You know, he doesn't have the traditional tight end size, the length and that sort of thing that you like in a tight end, but.
Speaker 2: Run a route and he can.
Speaker 3: End.
Speaker 4: You don't want your third tight end. I mean, you need that guy to put his hand on the ground to block that's they're not going to put his hand on the ground on the line of scrimm.
Speaker 3: You want your second round draft pick to have the ability to run routes and something in the past game which we haven't seen yet, but now he may get the opportunity.
Speaker 4: Luke Schoonmaker and then Spawn four is a pretty good blocker. So you need three. If perfer you can't go, they probably elevate Princeton Fond.
Speaker 2: You need someone there's another fullback type, right, you need someone they can run a route.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't need your third tight end to run a route.
Speaker 2: You need a route. So whoever that's gonna be, they need to run a good route, Scoo Maker. But that just one. They're just gonna have one.
Speaker 4: Well, how many tight ends you need?
Speaker 2: You might need two tight ends to run routes.
Speaker 4: Then spawn ford better run a route.
Speaker 2: And I say that only because I don't want to send someone in with just limited ability. Well, if a guy can run a route, I'd like to see him do that. Well's I will open up our playbook.
Speaker 4: That's got to be John Stevens. If he's healthy, that would be the good right.
Speaker 3: Okay, here is the from the Brevins spin Ford bio Minnesota. Okay, because he would be the guy that has the traditional healthy, traditional tight end size. And so what did he do at Minnesota in his thirteen seasons at Minnesota? How many six seasons? Actually, twenty eighteen through twenty three. Reliable pass catcher and a proven run block in his collegiate career, recorded ninety five career receptions for one thousand yards and seven touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Why do you think this guy wasn't drafted?
Speaker 3: That's a very good question.
Speaker 4: I thought the Green Notebook would.
Speaker 2: We'll have it right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well I'll just go to the Green Notebook then and we'll figure it out. Okay, I bet we can tell.
Speaker 4: He needs to be the first off the bus, though he is a big mess, thank you.
Speaker 3: No, I know We've gone down this road several times before. He's listed at sixty six two hundred and sixty five pounds in the media. Guy he at the combine six six and a half two hundred and sixty pounds with thirty three and three eights inch arms, So he's got good LinkedIn ten inch hands. You like that ten and a quarter inch hands. He ran a four to seven to seven eighteen bench reps, thirty one and a half vertical, nine to eight broad jump, and and I can't read my writing after that.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't see anything that would stop him from getting drafted either, what you say.
Speaker 4: Right, unless he had some sort of injury at the time. But he All I know is the first time I saw him in training camp and I looked at him, go ooh, that's a big man, I said, that must be that other tight.
Speaker 2: Oh I got something. I got one for you.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, this is from Dane Brugler's The Beast. Okay, he did have twelve starts at Minnesota, twenty five receptions for two hundred and thirty nine yards and two touchdowns, nine review nine drops John Stevens.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: That may that may be a reason which once you get into well here's the other thing. At six six and a half two hundred and sixty pounds in the traditional way that we covered kicks, Yeah, okay, it's a little tougher to be a special teams guy at that and running a four to seven. You know, you're not really a linebacker type whatever. Uh. And so once you get into the third day of the draft and you're going through what is a bunch of tight ends and anymore, it seems like there's a bunch of tight end type. He wasn't like that ten.
Speaker 2: Years ago coming out of college football.
Speaker 3: But you've got to have some special teams value too, and maybe and so teams so so teams are looking at him, going, well, we'll just get him as a as a free agent, as a priority free agent rather because you don't think he's got game day roster.
Speaker 4: He only had four special team snaps. Yeah, so that may answer your question there. Okay, okay, So we've.
Speaker 3: Examined the tight end position all right. And by the way, speaking of tight ends, looking at the Saints last night, you know they've got Taysom Hill. Yes, who is he's a quarterback slash running back slash tight end. Actually are ding him up at telback some, but he's he's now a tight end.
Speaker 4: And he's listed as a starter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Taysom Hill and two tight ends, right, and two wide receivers. But you talk about athletic tight ends. And Jawan Johnson made a great catch in there, went over Carolina the other day kind of on the sideline in the end zone. He's an athletic guy. I don't think I wrote down what they're vasurables. Actually, Taysom Hill ran a four to four coming out of BYU. Of course, he was a college quarterback. He was older coming out. He's now thirty four years old. He was a twenty seven year old rookie. He is thirty four years he's thirty four years old now and great sack. Guess whose camp he was in. First. He was first signed as a free agent by the Green Bay Packers in twenty seventeen, so Mike McCarthy had him in the preseason twenty seventeen. They waived him trying to get him to the practice squad, and the Saints picked him up and he's been in New Orleans ain't ever since. But my point on this, when you talk about tight ends and special teams, Juwan Johnson their other tight end who's a four or five guy, athletic, he blocked a punt last week, and Taysom Hills block punts, so you would I don't know that I've seen this in the NFL where you've got tight ends that are on their punt block team. They when they're looking to block a punt, they're lining up both their tight ends Taysom Hill and Juwan Johnson to come after the punter. And they're athletic enough to get there.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't look at Hill as a tight end though. Yeah, if he were to come into the offensive scheme, I would treat him as more of them.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Well, now, I mean he'd probably be lined if you got two of them in the game, He's going to be lined up on the line somewhere. He will not be caught back and I would pay play him as more of a you know, slot running back type of guy.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the tricky thing for defensive coordinators is Okay, he's on the field, So where they going to use him?
Speaker 2: And he got.
Speaker 3: Five carries for thirty five yards against Carolina? Uh, and they were they were using They weren't using him as a you know, in the past, they've used him as a quarterback, and so those carries would be as a you know, wildcat type quarterback situation. Now they're actually lining him up at tilback and which is new for him.
Speaker 2: As long as long as he got a quarterback in the game with him then.
Speaker 3: But you don't know whether he's going to be a running.
Speaker 2: Back or what. It won't be a quarter that's what matters.
Speaker 4: Well, they should line him next to each other and you don't know who they're going to snap it to.
Speaker 3: But for for a for a defensive coordinator when they're looking at personnel and what how to match the personnel, he's got enough position versatility where you're not sure how they're going to use him. Uh And so anyway.
Speaker 4: That's I say they have Cedric Wilson. I do that, I said Wilson or I think that's the same guy.
Speaker 3: He did not have any targets, and but he's basically just used some special teams in their game against Carolina, I think so.
Speaker 4: I thought one of the stats might pointed out things they needed to improve on the second half third downs, they were zero for five, and he was talking about, you know, stuff they needed to get better at. And I knew that third down production wasn't good. I forgot it was mostly in the second half when they bogged down offensively. So that's something that they obviously got to get better at for sure. Another note, he'd said he learned a lot about coaching quarterbacks in nineteen eighty nine from Paul Hackett, so he owes Jerry Jones that that knowledge because Paul Hackett was here, and if Jerry didn't buy the team Hackett would have still been the offensive coordinator here with the Cowboys before he ended up at Pitts. How about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still would have been a disaster. Still would have been a disaster.
Speaker 4: Oh, how I heard is aster? I didn't know you were going with that too.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Cedric Wilson did have twenty nine snaps on offense UH in their game against Carolina their third receiver. He they got Chris olave Rashid Shahed who is you talk about, fast guy and he's their Cavante turpin on as far as a return guy, in fact, it all Pro return guy last year. And yeah, Wilson is third or fourth would be wide receiver. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So's a solid team, guys, it is.
Speaker 3: It is solid, very solid on special teams too, not only mentioning what they had the block punt last week and Shaheed had a punt return in the game the other day. UH. And he's a he is as fast as a He's almost Tyreek fast. And they've got a very respected special teams coaching Darren Rizzy, who along with John Fossil, were some of the the brain trust behind the new Dynamic kickoff UH and very well respected around the league and their kicker Mickey, their kicker Blake Groupie. Okay, he's in his second year.
Speaker 4: Why do I remember that name?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. Maybe because of his size. He's listed at five six, one hundred and fifty two pounds go a way. So what do you think, Vicky? Could you be the kicker for the Saints?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 3: Is it similar?
Speaker 4: I would need one of those squared off shoes.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Saints, Tom Dempsey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, girl, exactly where I was going.
Speaker 3: But anyway, but Groupie had I have his numbers in front of him from last week. But I mean he didn't miss. The Saints scored on their first eight possessions of the game. He had at least three field goals. He had two field goals beyond fifty yards. Did you see the numbers on field goal kickers around the league in week number one? What their percentage was beyond fifty yards? We saw what our guy did, Randon Aubrey, and one of them didn't count. From sixty six, around the league, kickers were twenty one out of twenty three on field goals beyond fifty yards. No way, How amazing is that twenty one of twenty three.
Speaker 2: I remember when Aaron Rodgers got them in position during the playoff game, and you know that field goal was about fifty two of fifty four that beat us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Mason Crosby.
Speaker 2: And I just remember thinking he did not look like he was under any type of pressure. You know what, it's almost still kickers are going there?
Speaker 3: Were you a great basketball shooter?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, of course, of course there wasn't a three point free throw shots? Yeah, but then there wasn't a three point line in our day. Okay, but can you imagine if there was? I I always felt this way. In basketball, it's easier to shoot a three point shot than.
Speaker 2: It is a mid range jump range, mid range fifteen.
Speaker 3: It's almost gotten that way in football in the NFL, where it's easier to kick a fifty something yard field goal and an extra than it is an extra point. Yeah, a thirty three are.
Speaker 4: That's why in tennis it's easier to hit groundstrokes than serve. Yeah, gives you too much time to think about stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's go, let's go even further. You remember not block was that he couldn't get checked, but he could. He just woke up one day and he couldn't throw the first base and he was he was all. It was like, you know, all star, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: And I think Mike Uh kind of set the tone Uh talking about the Saints saying because they won I think for their last five games last year, yes, very strong, just didn't get in. I don't know.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't just a product of been playing NFC South teams. They were playing very well.
Speaker 4: He said, this is a team that played playoff football last year, basically saying they were good.
Speaker 2: Well, the quarterback finally decided to tone things down. Yeah, you know, sometimes Klark can just be a little bit over the top. He thinks he's still with the Raiders half the time, and he can just throw it deep when they take the ball out of his hands and just allow him to manage. They can be a dangerous team because he has defensively plenty of support special teams. He got plenty of support when he lets when he plays the game the way Dak did last week and let your complimentary players do the work. He plays much better and this team is much better and they're much more dangerous. They travel just like the Cowboys did to cle We traveled well to Cleveland because of how we played they travel well because of how they play, but they run the ball very well. When they tone it down, Carr can be a pretty effective quarterback. And of course, defensively, they've always had that. Yep. All right. Uh, the.
Speaker 3: The ties between the Cowboys and the Saints, let's get into that. Put your thinking cap one. Probably ties between the Cowboys and the Saints, all right. That When we come back on mix shots in just.
Speaker 1: A moment, Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 3: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 4: Miller Lte is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 3: It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 2: Hell mindset.
Speaker 6: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers middle Light as in fact less filling and taste great. I'm me Shine, legal guy.
Speaker 2: Celebrate responsibily.
Speaker 6: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand, three point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cards than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamola made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 5: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot Org.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 3: The Presscott who looks white, It's not there.
Speaker 4: He escaped Laft he'll look full punched down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 7: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot Com to mixed shots.
Speaker 2: The Texas a and m Aggie's and Arkansas Razorbacks return to AT and T Stadium on September twenty eighth in the Southwest Classic. Don't miss your chance to catch this highly anticipated annual matchup. Tickets are now on sale at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: The spot Whisperer ever since Wall.
Speaker 2: I read better when I do, I like it?
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds sexy. I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: He's the spot Whisperer.
Speaker 4: Savannah, Please come back, Please come back, just to read Savannah.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, all right?
Speaker 3: How about the Saint? Okay?
Speaker 2: Why don't we.
Speaker 3: Producer Supreme just sent me some of the details on Dak's contract the coming out right now, and you want to explain the the two hundred million dollars cap hit in twenty.
Speaker 4: Thirty twenty thirty because they put voidable years at the end of the deal.
Speaker 3: There is a ready when you look at it.
Speaker 4: And that's part of the forty million that they had to count for for restructure bonus.
Speaker 3: Okay, and Todd Archer tweeted out the numbers on it, and not to get bogged down in this, but when you go through the numbers, you go all the way to the after the contract is over, and this is a void year in twenty thirty. He counts two hundred million dollars. It gets the Cowboys salary cap. But the explanation, the two hundred million dollar base salary in twenty thirty is fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the twenty twenty nine league year. Basically, it allows the Cowboys to designate Prescott a post June first cut in twenty twenty nine, before the official voiding of the deal occurred. Anyway, what were you going to explain about Dax's contract and the fact that he played in the game on Sunday on his old deal.
Speaker 4: He was played on his old base salary, which was twenty nine million. Ok So if you divide that by eighteen, off the top of my head, I'm not sure what that comes to. But because they didn't sign the contract until Monday, when they reduced his because they gave him the base the signing bonus, they reduced the base salary to one point two million, so his weekly pay goes down, but he got eighty million dollars up front, so that cost him a little extra. And when you start figuring his salary cap hits, they still had to count for the forty million restructure bonus, which was I think three years of twelve twelve twelve and then another one and one spaced out. So that's why part the package that he signed actually they have to count for forty more million than that. So, just to give you an idea, his cap hit this year goes down because of what we talked about, his base salary to forty three point three eight two million. Next year, next year with a forty seven point seven million dollar base salary, his cap hit goes to eighty nine point eight eight million, So that'll need to be restructured, right, So now they're going to continue throwing kicking the can down the road to count he gets the money kicking the can down the road, sort of like what they did with Terrence Steel. He signed a five year, eighty two point five million dollar track. I guess it was two years ago. They restructured his base salary for this year and lowered the base to one point six two five million, but paid him a five point six twenty five restructure bonus that is divided out by five or four and he has a cap hit now of six point five million, so they opened up some more cap space. Now everybody's getting excited that well they can go trade for somebody. But here's the deal, and here's what you have to remember. Next year they need all the cap space they can get. I already mentioned, and they'll restructure DAK. But as it is right now, his cap number is eighty nine point eight million CDs, is thirty five point four million digs, fourteen point two parsons twenty one point three. They would still have seventeen million in dead money for Zach and eight point seven for DeMarcus Lawrence. If you add all that up for six guys. It's one hundred and eighty six point four million, and the CAP's only going to be two sixty.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So that's why when everybody said, why didn't they sign them before? Well, they're trying to save every million dollars they could, and so it was, as I keep saying, it was complicated. It's not like just pay the guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, you would think that fans these days understand that. They don't.
Speaker 4: I mean the media doesn't.
Speaker 2: And why wouldn't they. I mean, you guys should educate them. I'm trying to be educated.
Speaker 4: I'm running out of time.
Speaker 2: I guess the team doesn't have time to educate them. Yeah, because that too busy trying to get things done. So how about that? But I mean, if you just go to college and understand.
Speaker 4: It, right, I keep hearing that that Dak, it's got this money, you got to get a Super Bowl, right. So I looked up the top ten UH quarterbacks with their practical guarantee money. Dak was two thirty one, right, So how about this list? Dak, Watson, Burrow, Herbert Lawrence Jackson, Hurts, Golf tag tag Leovo.
Speaker 3: I can't say it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I said Tag right and Jordan Love. Those are the top ten.
Speaker 2: African quarterback I just said, Tag.
Speaker 4: I thought, let's not get distracted. Those are the top ten quarterbacks that have practical guarantees from two thirty one to one hundred and sixty million. Right, Dak's got to win a super Bowl. Any of these other guys won a Super Bowl. Yet, how does that work. It's like everybody gets compared that you got to win a super Bowl. None of these guys that got paid have won a super Bowl. So it's it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I would have I wouldn't like to see it, but I'm pretty sure it would have been very interesting. If the Cowboys would have lost this.
Speaker 3: Game, Oh sign that would have been you know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. They would have made us. You know, I feel so bad about signing a guy that was contract was about to go out.
Speaker 4: You know what, the thing is.
Speaker 2: Going to jump.
Speaker 3: We'd still be talking about it was.
Speaker 2: Such a such boring postgame reports afterwards, so boring.
Speaker 6: They could ready to pound God.
Speaker 2: Stephen I was there. They didn't look like they were ready.
Speaker 4: They were distracted. Right, So Mahomes, by the way.
Speaker 3: Has won a Super Bowl, has won a.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl, and he's thirteenth in his his practical guarantee with one hundred and forty one million, even though his value of his contract is number one at four hundred and fifty million. But it's what eight years, right.
Speaker 2: Doesn't he But plus he's got like a piece of Team Sydney has. We might as well under the table stuff going on.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. No, I'm sure he's got something.
Speaker 3: But they were able to figure out early on in his career that they wanted him to be their quarterback forever, and so they did a ten year was it ten year, five hundred million dollar deal or something, and then they just let it just work it out as we go along here.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say every quarterback that wins three Super Bowl should you know, get always be the highest paid, because you know, sometimes you got other members of the team and the areas that play well. But if I was Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs, he would always be the highest paid or at least the highest paid quarterback in the NFL, just based on what he's done and the way he's done it.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, before we go to break, did you see the list of one hundred and eighty three players being considered as seniors for the Pro Football.
Speaker 2: Hall of Fame one hundred and eighty three.
Speaker 4: One hundred and.
Speaker 3: Eighty three expanded the list this year.
Speaker 4: Because they've got a special committee.
Speaker 2: But the list and then they're still just just picking one guy.
Speaker 3: They're actually picking three.
Speaker 4: But they're they're going to cut it to fifty here in a couple of weeks. And on that list is Everson Walls.
Speaker 3: Who else is on the list?
Speaker 4: Copley's had fourteen guys.
Speaker 3: You see who else who was here in this very room yesterday with us?
Speaker 4: Nate Newton.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. When they start calling out and ate stuff next to mine, it's embarrassing, it really is. This guy got six Pro Bowls. He got six Pro Bowls, and for him not to be considered, first of all, you know you do up here, man. He should be in the ring of lines. He should already be.
Speaker 4: Well. Let me give you the names. Meredith, Darryl Johnston, Ralph Neeley, Nate Newton, John Niland, Too Tall, Harvey Martin, Everson Walls, Cornell Green, Herschel Walker, Billy Houghton. I did Billy Houghton get on that.
Speaker 3: Way even before our time.
Speaker 4: I know, uh, George Andre and Leroy Jordans.
Speaker 3: So I got by the way Leroy Jordan doesn't get enough. Yes, praise played thirteen.
Speaker 4: Years Effson, Nate Harvey.
Speaker 2: Harvey Man.
Speaker 4: You know Cornell Green was really.
Speaker 2: All pro safety and corner right. How many people do that, right? I mean that's some that's some darn what not Darren Wilson, But that's some some you know, what's some stuff, it's some some.
Speaker 4: So what's the.
Speaker 2: Robson?
Speaker 4: These guys had to play at least twenty five years ago, so Wood he still got a couple years normal, who does no, No, he's part of this senior Yeah, okay because his last year would have been ninety eight. And Carollina and of course, and.
Speaker 3: I feel like I need to run to the defense of Billy Houghton since she just under the bus.
Speaker 4: I didn't throw him under the bush.
Speaker 3: You just said money about.
Speaker 2: On this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hell, why is he on it?
Speaker 3: He is a He was a four time pro bowler. In fact, according to Wikipedia, he is Wow, he's ninety four years old and still still going strong.
Speaker 2: Kick kicks out of yeah, out.
Speaker 3: Of plain view. Texas out in West Sexes, born in Littlefield, Texas. And he played for the Packers from nineteen fifty two to fifty eight, the Browns in fifty nine, and finished his career with the Cowboys sixty through sixty three. And he was a four time pro bowler with the Packers in the fifties. And so that's why, yeah, he's in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. Was he had five hundred three catches in.
Speaker 4: His court and say he was a receiver.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, So got that right. So there you go, a salute to former Cowboy Billy Houghton and we continue with more mix shots in a moment.
Speaker 5: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 5: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 4: It says less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 2: Hell mindset.
Speaker 6: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Lit is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands pe point two grams carbs for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your he Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: As they snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slaft.
Speaker 1: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot Com to mixed shots.
Speaker 2: Step up your game day look with the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Nike Zoom Pegasus running shoes. Discover the ultimate comfort with its responsive cushioning and breathable mesh. Visit a pro shop near you. Log on through shop dot Dallascowboys dot Com a fanatics experience to score yours today.
Speaker 3: One other note on Billy Houghton, who Mickey Spagnola decided does not belong in the.
Speaker 4: Hall of Fame, and he sense apologize.
Speaker 3: When he was with the Cowboys in nineteen sixty three, Billy Houghton became the NFL's all time receiving leader, breaking Don Hudson's record for career receptions and receiving yards.
Speaker 4: Wow, so there, How many do you have with the Cowboys of that five hundred and three?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll have to do the math on it. He had five hundred three receptions for eighty four hundred and fifty nine yards with the Cowboys. He had twenty three plus fifty six is seventy nine plus forty nine, which gets you to one forty eight plus thirty three one hundred and eighty one catches with the Cowboys. Not bad.
Speaker 2: That is not bad.
Speaker 3: Eight fourteen seventeen touchdowns on some really bad Cowboys teams from nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: To sixty three, playing well on the bad time.
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: What else you got on your legal pad? Before I give you some family ties between the Cowboys and the Saints. I think we're good, right now? Okay, you go up with.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know so, and I don't know how you want to look at this, But the viewership of the Cowboys season opener at Cleveland twenty nine point three million viewers.
Speaker 3: How does that rank?
Speaker 4: From what I saw? It was number one because well number one that week that week like Thursday Thursday Chiefs Ravens. They needed TV and digital to get to twenty nine point two. Sunday Night Detroit, LA twenty two point seven million, and Friday Night Eagles Packers fourteen million. So over the air it was twenty nine point three million. And I guess there's still people interested in the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: So now, you weren't listening to the Fox broadcast of the game, right or were you? Did you have any press box where you listened to?
Speaker 4: It was fading in it out.
Speaker 3: I want to get Everson's take on Tom Brady in the booth.
Speaker 4: And then I listened to Did you listen to Tom Brady?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: I couldn't hear the body. Okay, No, I didn't have the body.
Speaker 4: And your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I think he's fine, You think he did well, he's fine. Okay, that's giving giving time, he'll be fine.
Speaker 4: I thought, he pointed out when I got when I read it, I don't like people jumping on him in the first game or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, let let it play out and we'll see. Well, I mean there's a lot that goes into it that and we're going to get a full We've got three games worth of him to start off the season.
Speaker 2: To be your best your first time out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't mean that away as being critical of anything that. I thought he was fine. You know, I didn't notice him during the game, and so I think that's what that can be.
Speaker 2: A good good that's right.
Speaker 4: He pointed out a couple of things when I rewatched it that I actually was listening. I said, oh, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that, So I thought that was good. That's the first time he did it. I mean, they did a practice on the Cowboys early.
Speaker 3: They did seventeen. They did mock games seventeen of him in a studio to prepare him. But he was out there. He did the Cowboys Rams preseason game that we did. He was in a booth doing that. And the Chargers had a preseason game the day before, so they knocked out two live games in one weekend that week, and so they they prepped him, and you know, he's they're little.
Speaker 2: I think they nitpicked on when he did he didn't make enough of the season.
Speaker 4: You know, the reaction that I got make enough of what.
Speaker 2: He didn't make enough of the sixty six yard the field goal, they thoh, and then the fact that they.
Speaker 4: Well I think they were confused because they heard the whistle and even Aubrey thought they frozen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that they that called called time out.
Speaker 2: But then even when they found out that there could be a potential seventy one yarder, I guess, and they said that he didn't show enough enthusiasm about that possibility. And even the other guy said, well, that's kind of nitpicking, you know, regards to how well he did. That's just what I heard on the radio.
Speaker 4: Well, and they, I don't know if it was the play by play guy, they didn't realize he had he had kicked the sixty six yarder in preseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was where I was knowing that you're doing the Cowboys, I would think that you the first three games of the season. I would think that you would watch all the Cowboys preseason games. And so because basically the way I look at it is, yeah, it's a national audience, but you are broadcasting to the fans of the two teams that are playing in that game, and those fans have watched all those preseason games, and you need to be on top of everything that's happened here in the last month with these football teams. I mean, this is the one job that you have to do. And so and a sixty six yarder that should have been pointed out that he made a sixty six yarder that precise distance In Las Vegas. We don't have that much different kickers, but that is significant enough that you should have been quick on the.
Speaker 4: Trigger to, oh, he's done this before.
Speaker 3: Right from from that exact same length, you know, which ties the NFL record. If it wasn't the preseason.
Speaker 4: I think it was the same direction.
Speaker 3: To north, north to south.
Speaker 2: That's really that is. I do realize, Micky.
Speaker 3: You do realize, Mickey, if you were sitting on the other side of the stadium, it would not be the same direction.
Speaker 4: It went to the right.
Speaker 2: That's all I know.
Speaker 3: That's funny family ties between the Cowboys and the Saints. You got them front office or in a scouting department.
Speaker 4: Mickey Loomis and Alex Loomis.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Mickey Loomis is the longtime GM of the Saints going back twenty five years he became He was with the Saints organization starting in two thousand, became the GM in two thousand and two. And his son Alex loomis the director of pro scouting for the Cowboys now for he's been with the Cowboys for a good fifteen years now. Jeff Ireland Jeff Ireland who was with the Cowboys during the parcels. But that's not a family.
Speaker 4: You want family.
Speaker 3: The other family tie is Clint Kubiak, the offensive coordinator and Klein Kubiak an area of scout for the Cowboys. Troo brothers of course, the sons of Gary Kubiak. And by the way, they have another brother, Clay Kubiak, who is on the coaching staff of the San Francisco forty nine ers. But that's a big deal with the Saints this year the hiring of Clint Kubiak as their offensive coordinator aged thirty seven, and last year he was with San Francisco as their past game coordinator.
Speaker 2: Isn't that the same system that Carr is accustomed to?
Speaker 3: Well, and it's well he was with going back with Kubiak and of course with his dad with Gary Kubiak, you know, and you go back to and so he was with Shanahan there. Yeah, and that goes back to going all the way back to with the Broncos, going way back.
Speaker 2: I have this really helped with his comfort zone with.
Speaker 4: The that's right, and so and you can point out that Mike got his first offensive coordinator job with the Saints, right.
Speaker 3: That Mike did. McCarthy, Yeah, and so so McCarthy, you know, Lewis to you, it's it's Mike, it's coach. Well, the reason I asked Mike is because I was about to make a point about Mike Zimmer. Oh and how interesting is this? Last week Zimmer is going up against a head coach and Kevin Stefanski, who is on his staff as the offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings. And now second game of the year, he's going up against Clint Kubiak, who was on Mike Zimmer's staff in Minnesota in nineteen, I mean twenty nineteen through twenty one. He was the offensive coordinator with the Vikings. So the first two games of the year for Mike Zimmer with the Cowboys, he's going up against his former offensive coordinators in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Now we have potential connection. I have potential connection with the Saints. I almost went there. Yeah, if he wasn't the Cowboys, that would have been my second choice.
Speaker 4: They wanted to sign you Saints in Buffalo.
Speaker 2: You know, I wasn't going up to Buffalo, No way I was going up there.
Speaker 4: Well, those were pretty lean years for the Saints.
Speaker 2: So well, after that, recall, they signed Ricky Jackson Hall of Fame and their number. They had like the number one defense, especially the number one linebacker corps in the NFL throughout the eighties.
Speaker 4: So Ricky Jackson Mills was Mills there already in the eighties, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the eighties, but not not when I.
Speaker 4: Came out, Sam Wills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh they had the other one, that number fifty six on the other side. Heck of a heck of a linebackers. Well, I called him Shaba because he looked like Shaba Ranks.
Speaker 3: And the reason that you decided on Dallas instead of New Orleans is because of the money.
Speaker 4: No, he could live in he came.
Speaker 3: And by the way, who is the head coach of the Saints at that point, I couldn't I tell you, bum Phillips was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He loved me nineteen eighty one to eighty five. Nineteen eighty one to eighty five, bum Phillips was the head coach of the Saints. You could have got in there on the ground floor of bum Phillips coaching the Saints.
Speaker 2: I've been to his captain forever. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So McCarthy was there when the Saints won their first playoff.
Speaker 3: Game in the early ODTS.
Speaker 4: I believe that's right.
Speaker 3: We'll have to do that and research that for another day.
Speaker 4: It was it was six. I think I was at the game.
Speaker 3: He wasn't there in six. I was always with the Packers. Oh five years with San Francisco, so he was four.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right before they uh won that playoff game after Katrina the next year when Peyton was the head coach, and which would have been seven and Drew Brees ended up getting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that was our first playoff win.
Speaker 4: No, they must have won one earlier because he talked to somebody said that he was there for the first playoff the franchise first place jectory.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll research that and we'll have the answer for you.
Speaker 2: To get their way.
Speaker 4: We got two minutes talking.
Speaker 3: Oh we do all right, it's twelve, forty eight, Yeah, forty five. I got another show coming up here. One. You got to get out of here at fifty Okay, yeah, unless.
Speaker 4: You cow Boys. Former defensive line coach Todd Grantham is there is there as a defensive line coach. He was the interim head coach at Arkansas when Missouri kicked there every Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.