Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Thursday, we'll check in with a Hall of famer Mark Messier. Are you born tough as a hockey player or you do you become tough as a hockey player? Follow up on the story with the Winnipeg Jets player Morgan Baron had seventy You know what after seventy five they stopped counting. It was at least seventy. If I'm going to get cut up and they're gonna stitch me up, I want to be able to tell people how many stitches I got, Like, is it seventy seven? And is it seven? If I'm getting them, you count them. Hey, we got to seventy five and then we stopped counting. No, no, no, no, no. We got to do this because I'm going to go back there on the ice. I'm gonna be able to tell people, Yeah, he had seventy seven stitches. I would change my number to seventy five if i'm him, you know, seventy five stitches? All right? So we'll talk to Messier coming up here a little bit eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com Twitter handle at DP Show Secod Morning those watching on Peacock Streaming partnering the LPGA's biggest stars, look to Shine Bright first major of the year. That'll be Saturday and Sunday for Eastern on NBC and Peacock the Chevron Championship Operator Standing by Tyler eight seven seven three. DP Show makes you go to the website. A lot of great things there, great t shirts, got pennies, bang biscuits, a lot of deals there coming up, and we'll keep you informed once Tailgate Moonshine. The watermelon version will be coming out probably a little bit later on this Summer Seaton Poll question for the final hour of this program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to switch it up to baseball and go with Max Surezer. Okay, mex ss mac Scherzer's dejection was excessive accurate.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let me walk you through this. Pitches for the Mets, at least he did for a little while yesterday and then he got tossed from the game. So you're allowed to have rosin and mixed with sweat and gives you a little bit of a sticky feeling substance there, and that's legal. But the umpiring crew noticed something a little bit more and maybe something that was Now they're looking for the color of things. That's how you can tell if something's different. It was a darker shade on his glove, and they noticed that it was a little tackier, stickier, and then they thought okay, and he's pleading his case and he's saying, look, I didn't do anything wrong. It's rosin, it's sweat. And then he said, I'll go wash it off. So they have somebody go with him. He washes his hands and they want him to change his glove. Well, then comes back out and you know, everything's good. And then an inning later they said, hey, you know what we're gonna We're gonna check him again. And then they check him again and then they found that sticky substance again and it's a little darker, and that's when they decided to run him. Here is Max Scherzer pleading his case first of all, telling us what happened.
Speaker 3: I'd have to be an absolute idiot to try to do anything when I'm coming back out for the fourth So I'm in front of the MLB official. That's that's underneath here. I washed my hand with alcohol in front of the official, I didn't apply a rosin and then I grabbed sweat when I didn't, I didn't go back out there, and Phil Causey says that my hand's too sticky. I don't get yes, when you use sweat and rosin your hands sticky, I don't get how I get ejected when I'm when I'm in front of MB officials doing exactly exactly what you want and being deemed my hand's too sticky when I'm using legal substance. I do not understand that.
Speaker 1: And then he went on to say this.
Speaker 3: I said, I swear my kid's life. I'm not using anything else. This is sweat and rosin. Sweat and rosin. I keep saying it over and over, and they touch my hand, they say it's sticky, and I like, yes, it is, because it's sweat and rosin, and they say it's too sticky. They threw me out because of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the umpire who threw out Max Scherzer has thrown out three pitchers. No other umpire has ever thrown anybody out for a sticky substance. But I think what may have led to him being ejected was Okay, you can have it on your hand but he has something on his glove, and he can say, look, this is rosin and sweat on my hand. What do you have on your glove? Why else would you make him change his glove because they were noticing something and it looked different in shading in color, and they know what they're looking for. I mean, guys have cheated, you know, for centuries with Major League Baseball pitching. And where do I put it? How can can I go there? Can I do it in a way that I can hide it? And guys who have tried in a variety of ways to do it. I don't know Max Scherzer. I don't know his history. He certainly sounds passionate in defending himself, but then it's not like he's going to go all right, you got me. Of course he's gonna I wanted to hear Buck Showalter, and I did watch Buck show Walter the manager. When he went out to the mound. Buck was really calm, almost as if to say, man, can I defend my picture? Even though maybe I can't defend my picture? It feels like in that situation you almost have to act like you're as mad as your picture is. Like that's Mac Shurzer. He's a Hall of Famer. He's not gonna cheat. Well, they had to be enough there. Now. I don't know what happens with an appeal. I don't know if any of these pictures have appealed this, and if you know they it fell on deaf ears. But he didn't get suspended. He just got tossed. I don't know what he can say plead his case. And you know, does Major League Baseball talk to this umpire to say, hey, tell us exactly why you would run him here? What was different? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ton, the appeal process does get slippery in situations.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's just stick you know, get sticky. That's you should have got sticky slippery, that's sticky situation.
Speaker 5: Yes, couldn't Max Shures have walked off after being ejective from the game. Had someone take what was on his hand and glove and put it in a plastic bag and say go ahead and test it and we'll be here.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: Here's what you've just kicked me out for. Test what's in it? It's either if it's not rosin and sweat, I'm out. And then you could decide to Intenzecus. Dan Belino is a homeplate umpire and they did an interview after the game. They talked to pool reporters. There's no audio or video, it's just written.
Speaker 7: He says.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons they caught kicked him out is quote, we know what ros and typically feels like an pitcher's hand. We check every picture in every game, and everyone's using the same exact rosin bag that's approved by Major League Baseball. Pictures don't have their own rosin bag. It's everyone has the same. So it's really important this quote. So it's really important to understand that when they claim it's just rosin. Every picture we check, we're accustomed to a certain rosin residue on the pitcher's hand. The fact that this substance went so much further was indicative that it was something more likely than rosin that is making it more sticky than any picture we had checked in the entire season. They are saying, the umps saying this was not straight rosin, not just the location of it, but the material self. They said it was so sticky that when I went to grab his hand, it like popped when.
Speaker 1: But he also said he had it on his non pitching hand. Well, why would you have your non pitching hand in a glove if you're going to use rosin. That to me didn't make sense. If you can use it, then you use it on your pitching hand. Why do I want it on my glove hand? And I think what the umpires were looking at is there's different places is where you can hide it on your glove. The question is how does it blend in with your glove. Now, guys will have a dark mit because you can hide it a little bit. They'll also, you know, where you have the eyelets on your glove. Sometimes those are bent up where you can scuff the ball. I mean, there's there's so many different ways to cheat. But I mean they're saying to him, you can have ronsin. There's something else here. Now that's what needs to be identified here. But if you're warning him, and this happens all the time, by the way, it's not like they go and we're seeing something here. The last thing they want to do is slow down the game and bust him. But you see this now. Sometimes you don't even see it on TV. If you go to a game, they're inspecting the picture. Sometimes it'll be like it's like a random drug test. All right, come on over or you're going through TSA. I'm going to put you to the side here. How about they do that where they have you ever had that where they take that little cloth and they wipe you down, your hand and your your fingertips and then they run it through. Maybe they could do that where well, they don't want to slow the game down, so you can't do that. But they had to see something, they had to feel something, and that's the key.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Point.
Speaker 5: At the end of the interview, the umpire said, quote, that's the point of emphasis. To us, it was much more sticky than anything we'd felt this entire season. Not tacky sticky. It sounds silly, but a difference between tackiness and stickiness.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: They said it was not just a glob of stuff. It was actually.
Speaker 1: But it was on his glove. Then they make him change his glove and then he comes back out and then they find it again on his glove an inning later, I believe.
Speaker 5: And he's saying he reapplied rosin and sweat legally with an official over his shoulder watching him in the in.
Speaker 8: The dugoutd I don't know yeah, I don't know, but to toss him, it has there has to be enough there because the other umpires could go, the homeplate umpire can go, Hey, no, I don't think there's enough.
Speaker 1: Here for them to agree that they're going to run him.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd imagine he uses it on his glove hands, because that's what you go to when you want to reapply it to your pitching hand, right, I mean I don't know that that's if that's legal or not.
Speaker 1: But well, but so he puts rosin, why not just do the rosin and sweat on your pitching hand, right, Why do I have to have it on my So I have to take my glove off.
Speaker 2: And now if you have it like right towards your like the bottom of your palm, yeah, like that's where you would hide illegal stuff. Yes, it's right there, yes, yes, but you could also have it over there. But one of his defenses was he was just like, it's not even on my hand, it's on my glove hand. Whatever it's like, Well, then you just go to your glove hand and then now it's back on your pitching hand.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I can dab it and now I have enough on my pitching hand. I like, when was it Garrett Cole when they were saying that he was using that what sport tack or something, and he said, oh, spider tack. He goes, I'm a yeah, but I don't. I'm protecting the hitter. I don't want to throw a breaking ball and it won't break.
Speaker 2: I'll go, oh, okay, very thought, safety safety issue.
Speaker 5: Very I'm using steroids so I could carry furniture for people when they move and hit home runs.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, not that, yes, to.
Speaker 1: Machine could be right.
Speaker 9: Maybe it's like a palette and a paint brush where one side gets dry and you kind of you need to dip into the glove area to get a little more of the fresh wet stuff that's now dried up on your pitching hand.
Speaker 1: But how am I going to get the wet stuff if it's dried up?
Speaker 4: If whatever you're doing with your pitching hand.
Speaker 1: Do you think, okay, do you think that Max Scherzer was using was he cheating tod I'm going to say, no, all right, seating? Was he cheating? No?
Speaker 2: Was he probably bending the le Okay, I'm a little more of a gray area guy.
Speaker 1: Here, Dan Marvin, No, Paulie.
Speaker 5: There is a caveat on the rule that you're not allowed to mix rosin and sweat and sunblock. Yeah, he could have tons and tons of sunblock on him and that's the extra material.
Speaker 7: I don't think he was cheating.
Speaker 1: Tough, but like there are rules about it.
Speaker 2: To be his lawyer, Yeah, when you're allowed to like how many times? I wish I could find this real quick, but like when you're allowed to, are you allowed to touch your neck and then go to the ball and then whatever?
Speaker 1: There's rules about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you're not allowed to touch your hat and then your neck and then the ball or things like that.
Speaker 5: You can grab your junk, you can't grab your neck. Correct, It doesn't say that in code two point seven. That's true.
Speaker 1: You could a you went to your junk too many times? Gott to run yet, Yeah, well that would be Todd's life. What are you saying, Tom, Should.
Speaker 9: We have a pitchclock for the umpires where they only have twenty seconds of determined if someone's cheating, and if after twenty seconds they can't figure it out, then he's free to go back on the mountain do whatever he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, they kind of do.
Speaker 5: They have a brief period of time between innings to do their game check of the picture.
Speaker 7: They can't just sit there and make him wait.
Speaker 1: I think he was. I think he was exploring the rules. I think he was bending the rules a little bit there, exploring.
Speaker 7: I like that one exploring the parameter.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, the Christopher Columbus of pictures. I was exploring. Yes, Tom.
Speaker 9: And what is it about the feel of rozin where you have to mix sweat with it? That line jumped out at me. I know it's within the rules sweat and rosin, But he's like, I had the rosin and then I mixed some sweat with it, Like why do you need to mix sweat with after you touch the rosin band?
Speaker 1: Well, as maybe the only person in this room who is pitched at a high school level, I would have you know, if you had the rosin and you had some sweat, it makes it stickier. It's cheater. Hey, if I could have cheated, I would have yes.
Speaker 2: As the only person in this room that pitched at a high school And yeah, we never had rosin.
Speaker 1: Yeah you couldn't fancy. It's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 1: Just stick your hand in the spit in your hand, rub it in the dirt. Yeah, do something like that. But if you well, we should get a rosin bag. And if I just said and it dries your hand, you don't want it your hand dry, You want it wet. The rosin will dry out your hand, you know. So if I put sweat with it, now all of a sudden we got a little substance there. And now I can bring some cheese as as only I could. Here's some cheese. Let me see you get a piece of that? Yes, Tod, And I guess.
Speaker 9: They have to almost they have to make it legal sweat and rosin mix, because how do you determine that?
Speaker 1: Well, your sweat is don't touch yourself, Patrick Ewing.
Speaker 4: Measure the levels of sweat. Once you reach a certain level of sweat, then you can't blame anymore.
Speaker 1: Let me take a break, Let's get our act together. Mark Messier tough guy. But are you born when you play hockey or you become a tough guy when you play hockey? How many stitches has Messi a taken over under? Like his entire there are people, okay, in your entire life. If you had seventy five stitches, anybody had, what's the most stitches, Todd, you probably had a few.
Speaker 9: I had twelve stitches in my wrist and probably a lot of stitches across my stomach.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was seventy stitches, okay, and why you're a wrist?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: When I was a little kid, I was trying to lift weights in my uncle's house in Long Island, and for whatever reason, there was a glass table behind the weights, and I lifted it up one time and.
Speaker 4: I was like, wow, I'm going to call my cousin and so check this out.
Speaker 9: Didn't work as well the second time, I dropped it and cut the glass table in half.
Speaker 4: Glass fell up in there. I look at my wrist and I'm crushing blood. How to be rushed to the hospital to sew up my left wrist?
Speaker 1: I think there was a columnist who said that this player for the Winnipeg Jets was leaking blood. It's an app description, but that's a tough one where you're going, you know, man, he was leaking blood and then went to get seventy five stitches. Sh anybody have more than twenty stitches? Seeton?
Speaker 2: No, No, I haven't had many stitches at all. You know what's crazy?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 6: Too.
Speaker 1: Is that they're liquid stitches. Have you seen that they do?
Speaker 2: Like my son had a I don't know how many stitches he would have had in his face, but he got hit with a flashlight and he had to have stitches right under his eye and it was all liquid.
Speaker 1: They just basically filled it in like blue. Yeah, and we're like all right, yeah, should be good, see you later. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And someone them have electro likes now where you can choose fruit punch or orange or grape. It's like all kinds of flavored stitches too.
Speaker 1: No. See see, you don't leave people in stitches. Just okay, how about we take break here, all right, we'll come back with Mark Messier and your phone calls right after this Dan Patrick show. Get Refunds dot Com is here to help you. They've already helped clients claim over three billion dollars and payroll tax refunds. Now, I got ahead of myself because I get excited being able to tell you about this. Get Refunds dot Com. You go there, you're going to get started to take you less than ten minutes to see if your business qualifies for what is known as ERC Employee Retention Credit or ERC. Your business might be eligible for a payroll tax refund of up to twenty six thousand dollars. That's per employee kept on payroll during COVID. Get Refunds dot Com might be able to help you as well, no upfront charge. They don't get paid until your business gets its refund. And you might have a business that you probably think won't qualify based off incomplete or outdated information. Don't let the opportunity pass you by. You have nothing to lose and a whole lot to game. The payroll tax refund program is only available for a limited amount of time. Get started. It'll take you less than eight minutes. See if you qualify. Get Refunds dot Com. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. More phone calls coming up. We spent a little bit of time yesterday talking about Morgan Baron. He plays for the Winnipeg Jets, and he took at least seventy five stitches and then came back the next period, and I was wondering, are you born tough or do you become tough when you become a hockey player. And then I said to Fritzy, why don't you see if we could get Mark Messier on. Let's do over under stitches that Mark has had in his career. Todd, I'll start with you. Has has Messier had at least seventy five total stitches?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was going to guess something in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Of ninety three Seaton at one time or total total. I'm gonna go one seventy five, one seventy five Yet, Marvin.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go one twenty three, Paulie.
Speaker 7: I'm going underwent. Mark gave out stick exactly.
Speaker 1: He gave out exactly exactly. I'll say, Messy a less than twenty five stitches, he joins us. Now, all right, mess how many stitches in your twenty year career?
Speaker 12: I would have zero idea how many, but I know it was more than I know it was more than twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know it was.
Speaker 6: Less than a thousand. But somewhere in between.
Speaker 1: What's the worst injury you got where you had to get stitches?
Speaker 6: You know that's a great question.
Speaker 12: I was pretty lucky in a lot of aspects from injury standpoint. I never had a cut where I had seventy five stitches like Baron did the other night. That was pretty pretty gutty for him to come back the way he did, But I was more happy that it was awfully close to his eye.
Speaker 6: That could have been a catastrophic injury. But he definitely got.
Speaker 1: But do they just stitch you up on the table. They just take you in the back and just start stitching.
Speaker 12: I get the old, the old needles, a little binder twine that they put the haybells together, and they sew you back together, and they throw.
Speaker 6: You back out there right away.
Speaker 12: But are you nothing in freezing is optional?
Speaker 1: Are you born tough as a hockey player or do you become tough as a hockey.
Speaker 12: I think the sport, the sport makes you tough. It's it's a lot of pain to play hockey. It's certainly a lot of pain to play winning hockey, blocking shots and sacrifice in your body and all the inherent risks that go out there. Every he thinks, and it is hockey is an amazing artistic ballet on ice. I often refer to it as more of a knife fight. Say you got a sixty minute knife fight with you know, twenty four switch blades of people's skates traveling at thirty miles an hour. So the inherent dangers on the ice are there every day, and it's just a reminder when when something happens, it's just how dangerous the sport it is. And and you know how how incredibly tough and you know, uh, you know how much resilience that the players have to play in that kind of tournament for two months under that kind of pressure.
Speaker 1: But is your toughness different than Wayne Gretzky's toughness?
Speaker 6: Well, that's that's that's a great question.
Speaker 12: You know, Brian Leach was maybe one of the toughest players I ever played with, and he never had a fight in the National Hockey League. But you know, as a as a smaller defenseman, he never wants to backed away from going into his own zone when he had the likes of Eric Lindross, you know, coming bearing down on him.
Speaker 6: At full speed.
Speaker 12: So there's many different ways to to talk about toughness in hockey.
Speaker 6: It's just not fighting, it's it's.
Speaker 12: A willingness to go standing in the hard areas in front of the net and take a pounding to score a goal. It's you know, taking a check to get the puck out of your own zone and the dying seconds. Uh, you know, So toughness comes in many different forms in hockey.
Speaker 1: Is Wayne the best player of all time?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 12: Well, I think you might be the best athlete of all time if you ask me. I'm a little biased because I got to see pure genius for all the years I played with him and against him. His numbers stack up that nobody can compare us from a statistical standpoint. So if you want to talk about the best athlete over the last century, my guess would probably be Wayne Gretzky.
Speaker 1: But I wonder, and the reason why I say this, We look at Michael Jordan and Lebron can't surpass Michael Jordan in a lot of people's minds. What would it take for somebody to surpass Gretzky is the greatest player of all time?
Speaker 12: Well, it's all subjective, as you know, because we really are comparing athletes from different errors and the game has changed, technology, science, training, I mean everything's changed. Athletes are getting bigger, stronger, But what you can do is you can compare different athletes of what they did to their contemporaries when they played the game. And if you just do that statistically, Loan Wayne's numbers just outshine everybody's from what he did to the competition. So I'm not sure how you can really judge it other than people have their opinions, and certainly they have their favorites. I mean, Michael Jordan was an easy guy to like and the bulls run was magical. Even if you weren't a bulls man, you couldn't take your eyes off it. Compelling to the TV. So but like I said, I'm a little biased with Wayne and because I got to see it up close and personal.
Speaker 1: How do you think this season with Connor McDavid is going to be viewed historically?
Speaker 12: Well, I think, you know, he's emerging as one of the best players ever played the game, you know, I think for what he did this year in a new cap era with the new rules that the goaltending and becoming much better, the defense is much stronger, you know, I think there's so many different ways that you can look at what he did this year and how par for the season individually, it.
Speaker 6: Was and ultimately, you know, we're always judged on whether.
Speaker 12: You can actually win a championship as a player and statistically and what he's doing as an individual is.
Speaker 6: Is incredibly impressive.
Speaker 12: You know, he's probably if you look at all the other sports right now, is there anybody that's dominating his sport as much as he is from an individual standpoint? But as you know, in a team sport, it's all about the championships and your legacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes you look at the greatness of a player by who's next in line to that great player, and it feels like there's a big separation there with.
Speaker 12: Well, there is the big delta there this year and maybe more so than any other sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, similarly with the Boston Bruins, I mean, it's great to have an unbelievable regular season, but Golden State Warriors won seventy three games one year they didn't win the championship.
Speaker 12: Well, it's hard to believe that the Boston Bruins under the amount of parody that's in the league right now. With the salary cap, trying to keep a team together for any number of years is so difficult that they actually set a record in the history of our game. With sixty five wins this year, It's incredible, and I don't I don't really know if people understand how much of an amazing feat that was for Boston this year, especially early on, when nobody gave them the respect that they ultimately deserved because of the injuries that they had and nobody penciled them into I think everybody was thinking that they could just hold on to five hundred and then get healthy and make the playoffs. I didn't see it coming. I don't think anybody saw it coming, this magical run. It was just one of the most impressive things I've seen in our game in many, many years.
Speaker 1: Mess if I gave you the Bruins or the field.
Speaker 12: That's a great That's wow, that would be a great prop bet I see now.
Speaker 6: I even though the language for them, I don't know. I would problem have to take the field on that.
Speaker 12: There's just so many things that can go wrong, injuries, so many different things play a factor, and.
Speaker 6: Every team has their weaknesses.
Speaker 12: I mean, you don't see too many weaknesses with Boston because of the year they had, and you're trying to figure out where those weaknesses are. But as we saw last night, Florida played hard and sure enough they deserve to win that game because of it, and they did, and that's not an easy place to win in Boston.
Speaker 1: He's Mark Messier, the Hall of Famer. When the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, I went to the party afterwards and people were drinking out of the cup and I grabbed a sip out of the cup. I actually asked, and can I just correct you?
Speaker 6: People were drinking a lot out of the stand.
Speaker 1: I ask you what was in the cup? And you had some colorful language as if to say, if you don't want to drink it, then pass it to somebody else. And I don't know what was in that cup, but I just went I got to take a drink of the cup.
Speaker 6: And absolutely and just take your chances.
Speaker 1: What was in there?
Speaker 12: Oh, I think there could have been a concoction that God only knows what was in there. But one of the craziest things I ever saw in the Stanley Cup was the world's largest Remember in the old days, back in the eighties, the drink of choice was a B fifty two.
Speaker 6: I think it was clue and.
Speaker 12: All the vodka and all this, well, they made the largest B fifty two in the Stanley Cup and that was that was that was a shot of choice that night.
Speaker 1: But did you do any and I know that when the Penguins woman, I think it ended up at the bottom of Lemieuse Pool or something like that. Like, did it anybody any great stories with the Rangers Stanley Cup.
Speaker 6: I tell you what the fact the Stanley Cup could talk, it could That would be a best seller.
Speaker 12: Uh, you know, I think that the Stanley Cup has been well traveled. And one of the things then, as you know, is there's probably the only trophy that the players get to take and prayed around and take to their hometowns and and really celebrate the Cup. And it's probably one of the reasons why it's such a people's trophy. Everybody gets an opportunity normally when someone wins it to take it to their hometown and get their picture taken with it. And the magic that it creates and the emotion that it that it creates. But you know, it's done a lot of good too, you know, not only the parties, but it's done a lot of good with charities and many different things. And but as you know, Dan, we did have to get the cup of its own babysitter after a certain amount of events took place with the Cup. So I think it's the only trophy in professional sports that has its own twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: Baby, is there a player that you played against you would like a piece of You still would like to hit him one more time?
Speaker 12: One of them everyone, But it's not It's not a place for pleasantries if you're trying to win.
Speaker 1: But when you played against Gretzky, having played with him was there and sent him, you weren't allowed to probably hit him in practice or skate rounds.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 12: Oh, well, of course I saw people trying to hit him all the years that I played with him, and then of course when he got traded, I really quickly realized that, my guess is, I'm going to have to play him hard when we do play. And sure enough, the first year he got traded to LA when I was still in Edmonton, we played him in the playoffs, and then I realized how hard he is to capture and to hit. But back in those days, there was no taking any prisoners if anything was in the way of trying to win something as good as a strength as Wayne was, and you know, the greatest part about it Dan too, is that I think he knew that and he expected it, so he was pretty wildly on the ice and he never got himself in a position to get hit too often.
Speaker 1: Great to see you, hope you're having fun in TV, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Great to be with you, Dan, take care.
Speaker 1: That's Mark Messik. Stanley Cup playoffs continue tonight on the mother Ship starting at seven eastern Lightning and the Leafs, followed by cracking Avalanche Anchi at nine point thirty. Mark will be doing a studio analysis for both of those games. The two things have stood out in my career when I met certain players Joe Montana and Wayne Gretzky. And when you meet them, you go, how how are you the best quarterback of all time? How are you the greatest hockey player of all time? And that's the beauty of sports. Sometimes we get caught up in you have to be this size, you have to look this way, and if you were around Joe Montana, you would go, uh place, kicker like a holder agent. And then you meet Gretzky and you're like, there's no way, there is no way. And then you watch them and you go yep, something about it. But that's where we get caught up in stereotypes, and that's dangerous, dangerous when you're drafting these players, especially you know, Montana was a third round draft pick and he said first day he showed up, they thought he was a kicker. Yeah, pretty amazing. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here, Brandon in Ohio, Hi, Brandon, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 10: Morning guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, So back to the CJ.
Speaker 10: Shroud talk from earlier. With Brady Quinn's comments, it reminded me, and I'll profess I'm a Highest State fan, but it reminded me of the Justin Fields talk when he came out about how he was a last in, first out kind of guy. His commitment was questioned, And it just seems like with Ohio State, for some reason, a lot of people look past the stats, which for both Field and Stroud were phenomenal, and they focused more on the are they dedicated to the craft to get better? Shroud skip the maning passing camp, which I guess is a big thing that I didn't know about. And it seems like with schools like USC, they look past all of that and like dam Darnold was supposed to be the next coming of some greatness and that didn't pan out. And there's to talk about Caleb Williams next year in the draft. So it's just sort of the Ohio State. It feels like it's a lot of critique on their quarterback history, and I'm not sure that's.
Speaker 1: Well, Brandon. I think it's recent because Ohio State has been a better team than USC and more draft picks there, and you got the best group of wide receivers of any university over the last decade, maybe even longer. And I've talked to scout, well one scout in particular, about trying to assess Ohio State quarterbacks. It's the same thing with Alabama trying to assess them. It's the same thing with Oklahoma. Go back to Texas Tech. Texas Tech would always have the leading passer in the nation, but they weren't great pros. But you create a system there, whether it was Mike Leach creating a system there, Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma Ryan Day is really good with quarterbacks. You create this. Alabama opened things up. Lane Kiffen became the offensive coordinator, Steve Serkesian was there, and Nick Saban had to get with the times. It wasn't about running the football and playing defense. You had to open things up. And you watch Alabama. They always had all Americans wide receivers, great offensive line, and you'd have a running back taken in the first round. How am I assessing these quarterbacks here? And that makes it really challenging? Is it fair? Probably not. You go in almost with a bias, But I want to see what you do at least two years. I don't want a one year quarterback. That would make me nervous. You have to stay in college for three years. At least three years. I should be able to get enough of a sample size that I don't rely on one year because I learned more about Josh Allen the year after his talent left and they weren't a very good team. But I want to see you when you struggle, because that's what the NFL is. You're going to struggle. Now, what happens when you struggle? If I'm at Ohio State with those receivers, offensive line, offensive minded head coach, I'm probably gonna put up some great numbers there. What happens when you don't have that talent, That's what's hard to assess. And that's what these scouts will tell you. You're not quite sure. That's why I said I didn't want Dwayne Haskins, I didn't want Mitchell Trubisky. I didn't want Daniel Jones. I need to see a little bit more, and I need to see it on a big stage. I saw everything I needed with Deshaun Watson. I mean, let's take away what has happened off the field. On the field, he did everything you wanted him to do. He beat Alabama a couple times, win at national title. There was no reason zero to take Mitchell Truebisky over him. Zero. Patrick Mahomes, I just remember telling the Dan ats Man, guy's fun to watch. I had no idea that he would be great. I just knew it. It was a guy playing in the backyard and he's almost telling his receivers where to go, drawing plays in the dirt. That was it. And sometimes you can stay too long, and maybe Deshaun Watson stayed too long, like Trevor Lawrence. You know, all right, he's good, all right, he's really good. All right, He's probably gonna be the number one pick. And sometimes when you see those quarterback Matt Liinert stayed too long. Sam Darnold, you know you're you're like, okay, now what are you gonna do? Can you match those numbers? Oh? You can't. Maybe you're not as good. I mean, that's why it's such an inexact science. And these guys who get paid to do this, that's all they do, and you still can't do it with a high consistency because there are guys where you. You know, David Klingler had a ton of talent washed out. David Carr was as talented as any quarterback. He didn't last. Tim Couch thought he was great quarterback. JaMarcus Russell had as much challenge as any quarterback who's ever played. He didn't lose the talent, he lost the desire to want to be great. Ryan Leaf same way. What makes Tom Brady so great. He didn't have the talent anywhere near some of these guys. It's just weird. It's different, and you're gonna have that moment coming up, you know, next week. Anthony richardson ton of talent. You know, Will Levis Okay, it comes down to what do you do when you get out on the field. I don't care you're forty. I don't carry your combine. I don't care about anything. Game on the line. What do you do? Do you puck her up? Or do you perform last call? For phone calls, We're back after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 13: This is Steve Covino and Rich Davis, and together we are Covino and Rich, Caveno and Midge.
Speaker 1: Thanks, buddy, that's right.
Speaker 14: Cavino on Rich, Fox Sports Radio's newest hit show, heard weekdays from five to seven eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Every Coveno in Rich show is available as a podcasts. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe of such a rockin dude.
Speaker 14: The show features our unique take on sports, injected with some fun, humor and relatability. Listen to Covino on Rich five days a week on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: And Rich give me a hell yeah, last call for phone calls?
Speaker 10: What we learn?
Speaker 1: What's in store? Well, Reggie Miller's going to join us on Monday, all right. I always text with Reg usually during games, but during the commercials, I'll text text with Reg. So he'll join us. Coming up, Kevin Hart, the actor comedian's gonna join us. Now Fritzi does a Kevin Hart impersonation, or at least well, no, sorry that your mic was on. Okay, Uh, it sounds a little bit like the former presidential candidate Ross Parot. Ross put Ross Perot and Kevin Hart.
Speaker 4: Went to the supermarket.
Speaker 1: I bought some eggs with the eggs on the bottom.
Speaker 7: I don' why to put the eggs on the bottom.
Speaker 4: Egs cracked. Now he gets some eggs, Now to go back to the supermarket and put the brand on the top.
Speaker 1: Wait, is that Kevin Hart?
Speaker 4: I was Kevin Hart?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't think I came.
Speaker 4: In as much.
Speaker 9: I said, you gotta you gotta hear this great Kevin Harden personation.
Speaker 1: I do, no, but you still were doing it when I said, oh, we got Kevin Hart, and then you started your Kevin Harden.
Speaker 9: You guys to decide, is that on airworthy or is that something you say on the side that no one needs to hear?
Speaker 1: Ross pro is a trip though? Yeah he was? Yeah yeah, Ross bros In Henhouse, I'm the eagle. Stand about actual Kevin Hart? Yeah, he bought an eagle, an actual eagle, and named it Jalen Hurts. But Kevin Heart will join us on the program tomorrow. U last call for phone calls. What we learned once in store tomorrow and let me see let me see what I got here, Mike and La Hey, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 11: Great show today, Good show, Fellas. That was a pretty astute observation. Yet, Ross Parrot, little twang that got thrown in there with Kevin Hart, I like that. That was pretty astute. Yeah. Hey, uh six three graduate Lakota High School? Where'd you go to high school? Dan?
Speaker 1: Mason?
Speaker 11: Okay you went to Mason's all right?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Hey, I'm gonna talk about Algin Baylor. I wanted your opinion. I still like to get it. But the stitches thing just was hear to my heart. I was in numb and I got whack and this Corman stitched me up. And I said to him, I would have morphine than the guys said to him, how many stitches did you give me? And he goes, I don't know how many damn stitches I gave you? Said, are you're belieding and you're still alive? Don't bother me?
Speaker 1: All right? Sure you know they give you morphine? All right, Sure, go ahead, stitch me up. I never had the liquid stitches. Now, I've been around somebody who did super glue, and he probably needed four or five stitches. He just put super glue on it. He was a little bit different breedy guy than I was. I couldn't watch him do it let alone. He was doing it to himself with the liquid glue. There Danny in Salt Lake, Hi, Danny, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call here. I just wanted to call about our Handlin come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I had a similar situation. I played basketball at Utah State University and I collapsed and was saved by an a d similar similar to him. I wasn't on Monday Night football, but I just want to talk about the seriousness of that comeback. And you know, I played a couple of years two more years in college and a couple of years overseas after the fact, but right when I came back, my teammates were pretty afraid to touch me at all. So I'm sure you know it's going to be similar with tomorrow, and it's going to take a while to kind of get back to normal, just for everyone watching, you know, because it was it was on live TV and the biggest moment. But that's Ah, that's quite a comeback if you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the of all the comebacks, that's a comeback. Thanks for the phone call, Danny, And I'm I'm sure you know, playing against him, like, at some point do you then stop thinking about that that if he does get hit. I mean it'd be once you play, you play that he's been cleared and you just have to be if you kind of pause or hold up or what that's when guys get injured, you just play. What'd you learn today? Tom Adam Lefko says Peter Peter. Peter has yelled on.
Speaker 9: Punks the let returners, no, not to run it back because there's nearly no NFL players named Peter.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a great point. I had never heard that. Seaton O'Connor John Robinson's a favorite now, yeah, we like him, Marv.
Speaker 4: The Stanley Cup has a babysitter, Paulie.
Speaker 7: In one week, Bjean will give the commission of the Mustard.
Speaker 1: McGuire's has come to the rescue again. The new hybrid Ceramic tire Shine renews dull tires by darkening the appearance and adding long lasting high gloss. Give McGuire's Hybrid Ceramic Tires Shine to try. McGuire's reflect your passion. Thanks for joining us. Have a great day everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.