Speaker 1: To on the Move, Darling, Deep Speedways, Peace Do Hell. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's got my hav hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: What is up, Dolph Fans and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfold. On today's show, we are diving into a preview that I am as excited up, excited up, as excited and fired up as I've been, I want to say, since the Week two Buffalo game.
Speaker 2: But we know how that went, so maybe the Cowboys game last year. It's gonna be a great game on Thanksgi.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about every single aspect of this matchup and why I think it could be an instant classic. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the bat Do Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 1: Ye you know, now with the benefit of hindsight hearing Carolinees Dolphins first down drop after she has now been to the stadium to hear Kenny Walkers.
Speaker 2: That's another Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: I kind of like it even more now and I like this matchup on Thursday night as much as I have any Dolphins game this entire season, and it's because I think we have two really really good offenses set to do battle in a game that is going to come with the expectation of low scoring running game action because of the temperature, and I think that is utter hogwash bowl pucky, as my late great mother used to say. Week thirteen, at the Green Bay Packers lambeau Field eight to twenty kickoff, make it earlier on NBC. Twenty seven degrees at kickoff, a five percent chance of snow, and roughly eight to twelve mile an hour per mile per hour wins. It's not going to be much of a factor outside of a little bit of chilly weather, which if you're typing in the press box and you have to have fingerless gloves, maybe it impacts you then. But for football players, like OJ McDuffie says, you're not thinking about the temperature.
Speaker 2: You're playing football.
Speaker 1: You're having fun, You're out there and you're hot because you're running around. So I don't think it's gonna matter all that much. I saw a great article and I'm going to do the ultimate Cardinals sitting here. I'm not gonna reference who wrote it because I don't remember who wrote it, And I'm not gonna look it up right now because it's four point thirty on Tuesday, and I have a couple more things before I get to go home, and I don't have to work.
Speaker 2: On Wednesday, and I want to go home.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the article was that the cold weather narrative on TUA is a farce and basically points to that Bill's game, I think from twenty twenty two when it was freezing cold and he balled out in that game. So let's go ahead and get into this and meet the Packers here. As you heard me say on the Tuesday episode with Wes, if I had to pick an NFC team, I think it's between the Packers and Cardinals in terms of who I just like the most. And I used to be like, remember back when the Dolphins were always on the outside looking in, And maybe you're not like this, but I always found myself trying to find a secondary team and the passion and the love and all that stuff wasn't the same, but just someone to be like, I want them to win. And it was the Chargers for a long time with Chris Chambers when he got there, and it has been the Packers a lot of times in the past, but right now it's the Packers and the Cardinals. I love the two quarterbacks of those teams, and I just love the way the Packers were built. I love their head coach, and it's been pretty consistent outside of the pivot to their third straight franchise quarterback covering thirty years.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: They acquired Brett Favre, who it revealed himself to be an actual garbage human being, but they acquired him in nineteen ninety two and haven't had a season without a franchise quarterback since then. I mean, they literally went from him to Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love, like whoa oh, oh, oh, oh my, and this next one, Jordan Love like he has every opportunity to be the best of the three. And I know that's probably crazy, because you know, people forget how great Aaron Rodgers was before he became or before he was revealed to be an absolute sociopath. But Jordan Love has harnessed elite traits with good football acumen and become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. I think you can make the argument the top half of the or the half of the top like ten or twelve quarterbacks in the league. We're drafted in twenty twenty like pretty crazy to think about. When it's all said and done, I think we're going to look at nineteen eighty eight, nineteen eighty three rather two thousand and four and twenty twenty in similar veins. As for Lafleur, well, all he does is win. I'm not going to play the drop, and maybe seeing Rodgers dismantle another organization should make us respect Lafleur's years there with Rogers even more. He takes over in twenty nineteen, he inherits a six to nine to one team that that quarterback got Mike McCarthy fired, and then he goes to the NFC Championship game in back to back years with thirteen wins each of those years and damn near beats. Tom bradyes Buccaneers that second time around, wins thirteen games the next year with a very disappointing Divisional round exit with ten points in in Green Bay against San Francisco and Mike McDaniel's Niners. Then the season finale lost in twenty twenty two to miss out on the postseason at eight to nine against Detroit the departure of Rogers, Jordan Love comes in right away and they start two to five and people think that Jordan Love can't play, and then he goes absolutely nuclear and finishes that campaign. I believe they went eight and two the rest of the way and got themselves a blowout victory as well, and nearly eclipped the Niners in the divisional round of the playoffs last year. And then here we are and they're eight and three in twenty twenty four. And those Niners teams have been the bane of Lafleur's existence, haven't they, Even without Perdy and Bosa and Ayuk and Trent Williams. On Sunday, I imagine that drubbing of the Niners was a bit of an exercised demon for that football team. And then with the Lions coming up next week on Thursday, so it's not a mini buye for the Packers, they have to get right back to work on Friday. In some ways, I think that we are the overlook game, as crazy as that sounds, because I think that we are like a top five football team today in the National Football League. But I also know that staff is too good to let that be a thing. And they also are aware of Mike McDaniel. I mean, Matt Lafleur knows him as well anybody. And they're not going to sleep on this coaching staff and this talent. So as far as how this thing was assemble for the Packers, it's classic Packers fashion, draft and develop. They brought up a bunch of young receivers with Jordan Love. Jaden Reid's kind of the Deebo Samuel type of guy for them. He gets carries and motions and pre snap that helps them dictate how the defense moves because teams typically have an eye on where he might be pre snap. He was their second round draft pick in twenty twenty three. Their second round draft pick in twenty twenty two is kind of next in the pecking order and Christian Watson and he's a built in a lab receiver six foot three, four to three speed. Romeo Dobbs is going to miss the game from a concussion on Sunday. Dolphins catch a break by missing him. And then Dantavian Wicks was a fifth round draft pick in twenty three also, and he's a really good player. Luke Musgrave he's down and he was an awesome player before he got hurt. And his draft mate, third round pick Tucker Craft, is also very good and he leads the team with six touchdown receptions. And then the big eligible free agent was Josh Jacobs, who just brings the entire He's the rug that brings the whole room together, right, the big Lebowski. That's what they did on defense as well. They built this core around draft picks like Kenny Clark, Rashaan Garry, Lucas van Ness, Jay r Alexander and they go out and they drop the big free agent in the secondary and Xavier McKinney, who has what a league leading seven interceptions this year. It's a damn good football team and a great test for your red hot Miami Dolphins. Let's go ahead and start off as we do every single Well, it's not Thursday. The show's on Wednesday, but we did the previous shows on Thursday with the Packers offense. You kind of know this part. It's one of the more complex, creative, difficult to prepare for run games in the entire National Football League. I'm sure if you watch that Niners game after our drumming of the Patriots, you're like, whoa that looks familiar. I remember asking Kalaius Campbell how tough this Dolphins offense is to play against, and he said, for a guy like me that's so big on tels and reads and anticipation, it makes me go back to like my rookie year before, I had the sixteen year rollodex of knowledge of how to play certain looks and how to at certain pre snap alignments. And it's more read and react because they have so many false keys that can take you out of the play if you let them do that. And I'm watching this tape and my goodness, are they in full form. They hit the Niners with the first one hundred yard rusher they've allowed in fifty four games. That's a great stat that I stole from yesterday's show with Wes Hodwitch. And then you get your super athletic, elastic armed quarterback who has games where he sees it literally as well as anybody else and goes for these just bonkers games, Baby Billies, Baba Bunkers.
Speaker 2: The key is going.
Speaker 1: I'm watching Righteous Gemstones again right now, so you might get small references here on the show. Highly recommend anything Danny McBride does. Recommend watching that the key is going to be making him not see it that well, how do you do that? I mean, they're gonna run man beaters at you. They're gonna have pressure beaters, They're gonna have outside zone with play action game Max protection shot plays. You know what it is, you know how to attack it. You have to play incredibly disciplined and pretty much back close to one thousand with your pressure looks in terms of how you marry up your coverage with that pressure. Like against the Patriots, for instance, on that one pressure look where Drake may just completely missed pop Douglass in the slot, you can't have that because Jordan Love is gonna hit that receiver. You can go back to last year, even like the Chiefs game, when Spagnolo came after Love time and time again, and he was just getting pressure and having answers to those pressures after answer to those pressures, and a lot of that was because the Packers' receivers were either able to win at the catch point, which sometimes you're just gonna have to tip your cap they do that, or get open before time and being on the same page timing wise with Jordan Love, they can get to their concepts from various formations, but I do think the loss of Luke Muskgrave makes things a little bit more one dimensional in terms of how.
Speaker 2: They present it.
Speaker 1: Musgrave played one hundred and eight snaps in the three and a half games that he was healthy for, and the next tight end has played one hundred and fifty two snaps all year long. So they do reduce their twelve personnel groupings big time that way, and as a result, Tucker Kraft is a player that went from like fifty percent snaps last year to eighty six percent this year, and that could be part of the rookie to sophomore year development. But I think it has something to do with the fact that they don't really have another tight end behind him they like besides Luke Musgrave, who's down right now now. They also do not roster a fullback, but they will use these tight ends and or f's in that capacity. Keep an eye on Ben Simms in that regard, but I don't really think that he's a problem for us. And then even some Chris Brooks, they'll throw him out there in some of those weird roles at times as well.
Speaker 2: You guys know who he is. I think you have to force the issue off the edge.
Speaker 1: We saw the Packers do this against the Niners offense, where they would blitz the backside of the run play action game and the quarterback when he pulls it on the boot, he's immediately hot and brock purty like he handles that. But Brandon Allen could not handle that, and with love he can make you miss, but he can also alter the armslot and beat you that way too. I keep thinking about that Ramsey sack when we sim pressure with delayed blitzer from both he and Tyrel Dotson and just cut off all the escape avenues.
Speaker 2: For Drake May to move to his right.
Speaker 1: Quite frankly, I'm kind of glad we saw May ahead of this matchup because in terms of pocket mobility, stature, and strength and balance to absorb those hits, it's kind of similar. Let's go ahead and take a look at the big three against the Packers offense, and number one is you have to play with impeccable gap discipline against both the run and the pass because that Niners tape had a bunch of great stuff from the run game perspective. If they do a lot of orbit and jet and return motion that we do where they can get you playing a beat slower, and if you get that, if you get slowed down at all, you're gonna wind up getting out leveraged. And then the open that opens up these massive holes for a back that is really smart, quick, and super powerful, like he is an absolute load. Josh Jacobs is I saw Mina Kaimes tweet about good backs behind good offensive lines and how effective that has been around the league this year with Philly, Green Bay and Detroit, Like, that's what you're dealing with here, a very good offensive line that has a very good running back and a very good quarterback and very good receivers. This is one of the best offenses in the NFL. They do have their les and their slumps, and you have to find a way to get him into one of those. In this game, they have continuity and talent up front with a play car that has designed these run concepts for years with these same guys, so it's gonna be second nature for guys like Elton Jenkins, who's a top guard or just a top offensive lineman in this league. And we talk about this system and drafting offensive line right Jenkins is literally the highest drafted interior offensive line for anybody who's ever operated the Shanahan system. They don't take him in the first round. They take him in the second at highest and it's Elton Jenkins or at least the ones that you're intimately aware of.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Mcvay's, the McDaniels, the Papa Shanahans, the Stefanski's ect and he plays etc. I don't know, and he plays like it. So he's been there since twenty nineteen. Zach Tom was a center at Wake Forest. I think he was a center, maybe a guard, but he played both, and he's playing tackle for the Packers. He's been there since twenty twenty two and he's awesome. Rashid Walker's been there since twenty two as well, and I was crazy about his game. And then center Josh Myers has been there since twenty one, a soon, super tough, smart athletics center in the pivot. It's interesting because we harp on the importance of continuity in the offensive line, but the Packers having Jenkins and Tom has allowed them to plug and play so many different combinations. Both of those guys play all five spots, but they have no issues moving them around to replace injury players like a Jordan Morgan, their first round draft pick, who, quite frankly, I kind of wish he was up because I think that Sean Ryan, the replacement for him, has played better when he's replaced Morgan in games this year, and they've settled into this lineup that I think will probably be their move going forward, and they communicate well, they run block well, and they're pretty good in the drop back game. Just watching the last few games, I thought teams really struggled to get with against their outside game, and once you can hit a few of those runs off the edge, gosh, it opens up the inside. And I look for Jordan Brooks to have an important role in this game. And I also love the way Dotson played in relief of Anthony Walker. And McDaniel's already basically declared Walker out for this game, so he's going to be dots in this one. So you have to be able to slow Jacobs before he builds up his speed, but you also need to be able to get vertical and deal with these middle of the field options they have in the passing game, whether it's Tucker Craft, be it these receivers off in breakers. We just have to play very attached and smart and anticipatory in the hook zone and with our safety play over the middle. Jordan Poyer scares the crap out of me in this game. Need his best game as a Dolphin by a long shot. You guys know how it goes when this system gets the run game going and has short down in distances, It's so dangerous to deal with. So let's give ourselves a chance by winning some early downs and really playing with the best gap discipline you've had all year. Let's go ahead and take a break right there, come back on the other side and get to the second and third points of emphasis against this Packers' offense. We'll also talk about Tua against the Packers defense, and I think that our boy can absolutely shred for a third straight game. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to play that gobble pickup transition sound. I'm so proud of myself for that one, one of my favorite. You know how in Jeopardy they have the contestants tell stories about themselves during the break between the in the first in the Jeopardy round, And one time there was a guy that was his He was a one day champion, So they asked him a story about himself, and the second most important story he could think to tell about himself was that he does a great turkey impression. And by the end of it, Ken Jennings is like, are you gonna do the turkey impression for us? And he just breaks out this and it wasn't even good. It sounded like that, and I'm like, that's the second most interesting thing about you. A bad turkey impression. Oh man, the way my friend and I that were watching that show laughed for quite a while. It's kind of how I laughed thinking about that turkey transition sound. Speaking of turkeys, Jordan loves a turkey out there, isn't he. We have to make his head spin. That's key number two against this Packers offense. It's a key every week you have to mix up your coverages. But I just want to show you love splits this year and the offensive output in accordance with his production, which yeah, Travis, obviously the quarterback plays well, the offense probably plays well. But he had four giveaways in his first game back against the Vikings, a loss where they got back into it late, but it was a blowout. Early against the Rams, he threw for just two hundred and two yards and had a really bad pick six where he threw blindly when he was wrapped up in the grasp running away from the defensive pass rush in the end zone, where he just threw it blindly to op to a cornerback who walked in for six. And that was a Rams team where they beat him twenty four to nineteen without cup Nakua and three starting offensive linemen. Then against a Houston team, it's not playing good football. They had three turnovers, two picks from Love and his production has sort of seen an uptick from that moment to recently. As you heard wessay on Tuesday, he believes that Love is getting healthier from that week one injury he suffered back in Brazil. But even still, Man, they have plenty They've played a lot of close games and just tells me that if we can bait Love into a turnover or two and protect the ball ourselves, that could be the deciding factor of this entire game. So how do you do that? Well, we talked about the offensive line. I think their adept at handling a lot of games. You know, slants and twists and different ways to create communication breakdowns, and we have really gotten after teams with those looks this year. It's one of the best parts of the Anthony Weaver defense is the game package. But even going back to the Niners tape, I saw plenty of mugged up linebackers where it's you know, you basically can bring multiple players down to the line of scrimmage to simulate who might come and who might drop as far as the rush goes, and some immediate pressure that Love was able to at least survive with throwaways, some scrambles and the occasional hot throw. Now, one thing I saw that really peaked my interest was them going with a nosebacker and he was picking off Josh Myers the center and creating these one on one situations for their guards, which is where I want to get to, not Elton Jenkins, but mostly the right guard Sean Ryan to get and then I guess left tackles well, Rashid, I think you can create that through putting someone like Chop Robinson, for instance, who played a lot of that nosebacker position at Penn State, right over the top of the center, and then also can we flip him to the Packers left side of the formation to get him rushing a three hundred and forty pounds two heavy footed rashid walker. So I think moving Chop was something we all talked about this offseason. I'm tempted to not do it because of how good he's playing, but if you're gonna do it, this kind of feels like the game that you should do it. And once you do that, like gosh, you have to prevent this guy from creating because he has a dangerous arsenal to throw at. I mean, I wish we had Kendall Fuller for this game, man, I really wish that he was back for this one just makes I think it makes for a perfect good on good matchup if you have Ramsey, Fuller and Cater. But we'll have to go with Storm Duck into the game, who has a big challenge for himself as well. But with Ramsey, there's no point in talking about specific matchups because he's going to play all over the formation in the entire game. I do think Christian Watson is probably the guy that I want to try to erase the most with your your unique profile cornerback where there's like five guys built like Ramsey in the entire league. But if you do that, I'm probably thinking about extra attention to Wicks because I'm sorry to Jayden Reid because he's so shifty and crafty. I'm not sure there's a one on one matchup on him that I love, just because route runners like that are so tough in one on one spots. I'm curious to see if Dotson gets some work on Tucker craft. I know that Brooks can do it, and I think that maybe that's a man matchup you look at there a couple of times, but I also think that Dodson can do some of that too. And then Javon Holland. I think it's a big, big Javon Holland game to be able to execute those disguises, play some man on that tough tight end. They have cover some slot receivers because they're gonna bump those guys inside throughout the course of the game. And I think you need a guy like Javon Holland to help you cover that way, but he kind of you remove him from the post. That creates some some vulnerabilities in a deep passing game against an offense that can get vertical, so that's a bit of conflict there, and of course he can rush the quarterback. I think that this is the game where Anthony Weaver has to have his deepest bag of tricks, and like this might be the game where he gets himself a head coaching job next year. You know, if he does that, we need to win one on ones constantly in this game, which makes me curious how they might deploy Chot because I think that the bigger mismatch for his favor is not where he's played this year, so that's part of what makes it a fun matchup. My third key is a mental thing, a mentality thing. Get your head right, that's the key. I'm going to that title because this is going to be about tackling Josh Jacobs, and I don't think that really applies to professional athletes the way it would apply to a Measley Sports where I was saying in a press box wearing fingerless gloves, that's me, by the way, But to me, hitting a big back all night in the cold does not sound fun. But you cannot let Jacobs put his mark on this game. The KC playoff game last year kind of got sideways when the offense couldn't do anything. But when Isaiah Pacheco got going for that Chiefs offense because their passing game kept making a mistake after mistake after mistake, and then they're like, let's just run the ball because they can't score and they don't want to tackle Pacheco. We cannot let that happen, and we don't have, you know, a bunch of you know, off the street free agencies game that are chopping up with their Chiefs friends after the game, which still makes me sour, But I think we're better equipped for that.
Speaker 2: And Chris Brooks is a hammer too.
Speaker 1: Though I suspect they're gonna lean more on Jacob since the two and the three on their depth chart in Marshawn Lloyd and aj Dillon are both down. But they sure have a type running back, don't They like a big, physical bruiser. But also maybe because it's a short week and you have a Lions game next week, maybe maybe you reduce Jacob's workload after a big workload against the Niners on Sunday. I think it's so imperative for our two monsters in the middle, Seiler and Campbell to be able to hold the point and keep those linebackers clean. We know this scheme wants to catch and climb to the second level. If ninety two and ninety three can win consistently, we can stop their run game and really get to our fun stuff with the overload pressures and sim pressures. I think this is all a mindset, and I think we have the dudes in that locker room to do it right now. These guys are fired up right now. Man, you're gonna get a different approach and mindset, and I think a more calming mindset. Like one of the things two of we've knows in the past in big games, maybe he plays a little bit too amped up and can get a little bit off kilter. I don't think you're gonna see that in this game. I think you're gonna have a focus from the opening whistle and it's gonna make the Dolphins a tough out. The Packers are a good team, but they're gonna get our best shot in this game real quick. For instance, Jacobs has the highest force miss tackle rate on the Packers by a long shot, and his highest force miss tackle game before Sunday was five and he had twelve against the Niners.
Speaker 2: Twelve.
Speaker 1: We cannot have that and expect to win this football game. And that was the first game under forty degrees for them this year, so we have to tackle. He's averaged three and a half yards after initial contact. He is a really, really good player. Additional parts on offense. I mentioned Romeo Dobbs is down. That's a big break for us. Bo Melton is the guy that kind of fills in there. They're so deep at receiver, but we really covered it. John Fitzpatrick is one of the other healthy tight ends. It's not on ir right now because I should say he's not healthy because he hasn't practiced this week. The injury report act and actives are gonna be very important for a short or for this game because of the short week factor of it. All right, So yeah, keep an eye on that. On Thursday, it'll be at what six fifty five? Those will come out. All right. Let's go ahead and shift gears here and talk about this Packers defense. And this is where I think the Dolphins have a fun opportunity to do something special here. So the genesis of this defense is this, how many different ways can we get to cover two? I saw one Packers film head say that he's counted seven different variations of pre snap presentations that eventually got to Cover two this year for the Packers. Now that's a little bit interesting because one of those main variations is multiple different versions of Tampa two. Tampa two is two high safeties that widen out and take the deep half, and then a middle linebacker that runs down the pipe and basically covers and turns it into Cover three in a certain sense. And I think that's gonna really affect them because the pipe runner on this defense and Edrin Cooper is out, it's gonna miss the game. And to me, that's a huge deal because it's almost like us being down Alec in the sense that it scraps a massive chunk of your playbook. We cannot run two back personnel. We can run you know, eight chan and write an a Chan and Moster or whatever, but you don't have a full back that replaces out like Ingold. So you essentially take away the Tampa two defense from them, unless you want kway Walker doing it who is slow and not playing good football, or Isaiah McDuffie who can't who's not sued to do it either.
Speaker 2: You just don't have that option now.
Speaker 1: They disguise their coverage with pressure looks and then bail droppers and some pretty basic zones, like you're not gonna see Cover six from these guys. They don't run palms, they don't even really run quarters. They run a lot of Cover two and Cover three and it's it's basically just like, here's a very basic coverage that we dressed up. So I think that Tua is the kind of quarterback who's elite and all that stuff, and I think that he can get after them now their ability to play up at the last scrimmage, it creates some vulnerabilities. One thing it does for them is it gives them more hats in the run fit how to attack it just real quickly. First, a unique defense man. They run base forty three thirty one percent of the time. I think that's the biggest base defense percentage we've seen this year. I think they run nickel sixty five percent of the time, and they've ran dim a few times on long down and distances, so it's it's base and nickel.
Speaker 2: So not a lot of variation there.
Speaker 1: And a lot of these coverages asked players to get vertical all the way to the roof of the defense from walked down alignment. So you're gonna see defenders that are down like within five yards of the line of scrimmage and they're gonna sprint back to cover the deep part of the field. And think about that, think about the dolphin speed for a second. I think you open up the perimeter in the passing game because and again we've seen Tua take a massive stride in that that area. There was game plans last year the Titans game, especially where they would vacate certain, you know, parts of the perimeter of the field because we would work middle to the other side and they wouldn't really occupy that other out the other perimeter part of the field in the passing concept.
Speaker 2: But Tua has added that to his bag this year.
Speaker 1: And you know, I did that whole segment about waddle winning routes against outside leverage to the outside on Monday. I think that plays here because, as you know, corner corner routes, comebacks out routes, like if they're trying to get vertical with a five yard head start against a release and vertical stem by Tyreek Hill or Jalen Waddle running full speed, how the hell are you going to guard the deep shot, which maybe they don't maybe they do get a little bit antsy, or maybe you force them into that and you can open up the vertical shots. But how are they going to run full speed backwards and then change directions on a comeback, on a corner, on a hitch, a curl and out from tyreek or waddle. I think that you have a lot of openings in the intermediate to deep part of the field with their lack of range of middle linebacker and they're inexperienced and just pre snap alignments from the safety position, and then you've got these cloud cornerbacks that are the reason they can do that. But there has not been a better quarterback in the league at influencing underneath coverage than to a tongue of Iailoa and I spoke to to a one on one today in the locker room, a little bit of advantage to work with the team, and I was like, how do you process, Like, what's your how do you know when you're gonna hit the no look throw? Like is it something that you plan before the snap? And he's like, it's by structure, basically, it has more to do with kind of how things move. So I'm thinking about that, like to a hit that no look glance in less than a second. So this guy's this guy's processing speed is man, He's like an original IBM from nineteen ninety eight. I just I think that we are so equipped to stress this defense in a way they have not been tested this whole year. Let's go ahead and get into the big three real quick, and then we'll take a quick break after the first one. So the Big three against the Green Bay defense go back to the well and or test their cornerbacks. I'm saying go back to the well because that was the key against the Patriots, the short efficient passing game. I say it because the Packers cannot take away both. And we'll get to that point by the end here. This offense has been so good taking what the defense gives it, and it's so much more nuanced than what the description probably tells you on the surface, like yeah, throw checkdowns, Like no, it's it's decipher coverage. Let the coverage play out and remove and lift certain pece of zone and then throw into those vacancies that you create from your route concepts, and the quarterback understanding the progression as it's designed to be but the way we've been playing is how the Packers structure operates the chess match between Tua and then Haflee and McKinney the safety and defensive coordinator there. I don't imagine they'll give us a lot of man. I imagine they'll flood zones and rotate post snap every damn play you have to to keep up with to a tongue by Loa, I was watching the Packers tape in this Evan Williams guy, which is not a whiskey. He's a football player, is a heady player that seems to let his film say, take him right to the ball. So when Tua makes those quick decisions, it'll be paramount to be aware of the possibilities of them cheating and trying to jump plays. And you can get burned doing that and just have a quick eye on how things maybe change based upon what you saw pre snap. But Man, McKinney, Javon Bullard, Evan Williams is the big nicols sometimes the dime. They can rotate in disguise so well with the beautiful blend of athletic ability, and they prepare really well. Chris Twitter was talking about this breakout game from Javon Bullard, but I don't sure. I mean it was against Brandon Allen without Trent Williams without without Brandon Ayuk and a Deebo Samuel and George Kittle and Christian McCaffey.
Speaker 2: That are all banged up.
Speaker 1: You have not seen what you're about to see on Thursday night. And those guys, you know, I talk up and down about them. They have combined for three touchdowns, allowed eight picks this year, but seven McKinney's.
Speaker 2: They're also big hitters.
Speaker 1: Bollard wants to come down and play physically, and he did that against the Niers at a very high level. So that was good to see for him. But I just don't think this matchup is the same. I thought we saw a bit of an over correction against the Patriots in terms of them playing more man coverage and challenge, challenging us more and inviting more intermediate throws. I don't think that will be what the Packers do. And we have to be sharp because that offense can score, right, but if we can execute offensively, it's just not a winning formula to keep us to you know, a seven or eight possession game where we score on six or seven of those. They're gonna have to be a perfect on offense. I think the Dolphins defense is good enough to make you not be perfect, So I don't think that's a good approach for them. I think they're gonna be more aggressive. I think that puts Jonathan Smith right back in play, especially with how they use their backers with you know, these small and fast profiles, to pursue and chase more so than to go win up with straight up physicality.
Speaker 2: I think that invites the Ingold and Julian Hill of it all.
Speaker 1: While you're at it, and let's finally get to the point about the cornerbacks, I think you need points. I think your passing game is the best way to get those points. Again, you're gonna see some tweets about run the football, and just know, ignore those tweets because those folks don't know football. Okay, Okay, They're gonna be without JayR Alexander again. Drin Cooper was that pipe dropper and the Tampa two looks he's not gonna be out there. And as a Packers as as Packer fans, what area of their team has been their their their fatal flaw? Right? Every team has one potential fatal flaw, if not more, it would be their cornerback play without JayR Alexander, Keishawn Nixon, Carrington Valentine, and Eric Stokes the names you have to know, and they have struggled big time this year. Val team's been kind of He's feisty. He has this like Tasmanian devil ability to his game that I like with slot cornerbacks. But Keishawn Nixon, he doesn't see anything. He takes the cheese, not the chee's heads. He takes the cheese in the football field. I could see two of going after him relentlessly. You know. The more I think about this man when the team, when opposite teams have bad cornerback play, two carves them up. Like when the Ravens had to take off all their corners back in twenty twenty two and two three for four hundred and sixty yards and six touchdowns, you know, or that Cardinals game but in his rookie year when he went crazy in that one. I'm thinking about another game recently too, who had who was down the Raiders game. They were down a couple of cornerbacks and he carved them up. I don't know, man, I feel like two was about to go nuclear in this game.
Speaker 2: I really do. I don't know. Eric Stokes is often lost too.
Speaker 1: He just seems like he's like often getting guys in his blind spot and we can attack that. It makes me think they're gonna really help those cornerbacks as much as they can. But don't get it twisted because McKinney's a vet. Both Bullard and Williams are rookies, so maybe you can bake them into a bust or two. But if that's what happens, if it's you know, two man or cover two all day with trail technique under Waddle and Reek funneling those guys into bracket coverage, that means you got one on one matchups against bad linebackers for Jonas Smith and Devon eight Chan. And I don't think anybody wants their backers on those two guys, especially when they're bad linebackers, Especially when your best linebacker is hurt and your green dot is pretty bad and pretty slow, and the other two backers are minimum free agent signings like I don't know, guys, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we can score.
Speaker 1: Speaking of those linebackers, let's go ahead and take our last break, come back on the other side and talk about things two and three, what's at stake, our game prediction, keys to victory, all of that. Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by autodation. My second big thing to accomplish for the Dolphins offense against the Packers defense is to put their young linebackers, and let's be real, their replacement level line in peril. It's really a continuation of the first point because they're green in the back seven in general, and it's bad. Guys like it's bad. They're without their best cornerback, their best linebackers. The other linebackers aren't good players, and they have two rookie safeties and only Rare Shaun Gary has been an impactful pass prushure. We got to score thirty points in this game. And here's how they played the Niners game. It was kway Walker at Mike, Isaiah McDuffie at Sam, and shoot I lost his first name, Eric Wilson at the will linebacker position. They don't have Edrian Cooper. He missed last week. He'll miss this game as well. He's kind of the Fred Warner in that defense, not in terms of skill set, but I mean play style in the sense that he can get vertical and horizontal to defend your outside zone game, but also the deep hook zone in the passing game. I just don't think the Niners, with all their injuries, were able to take advantage of what this Packers defense has, which has relied upon takeaways all year long. It was a hamstring injury for Cooper last Wednesday, so it's a quick turnaround to get back.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna play.
Speaker 1: Eric Wilson is the one who steps up in the Isaiah McDuffie is a guy that stepped up in his place in sub packages and kway Walker where's the green dot? The reason I highlight this area I have to imagine the Packers are going to help their cornerbacks, and if you do that, it creates those one on one matchups for guys that I don't think are equipped to handle that. And from that how to attack it portion. We've just seen Tua attack correctly when he has high low looks with Johnny and eight Chan underneath with Reek and Waddle over the top. But I think that you can do it in the running game as well by stretching them horizontally and forcing those cornerbacks to play your step or two downhill. Against both that and the screen menu that we have at our disposal, Key number three against this defense is to play a turnover free game. If we do this will win the game. To me, it's that simple. It's been the Packers saving grace. If they don't turn us over. I don't think we'll punt more than two or three times, and that means, you know, four or five six scoring drives, and if those can be touchdowns on four of those and the other ones field goals, you're gonna get your thirty points.
Speaker 2: I think you can win this game.
Speaker 1: I think they've made plenty of mistakes and errors that have helped offenses pile up from yards. But they are ball hunters and they find it. And McDaniel mentioned on Tuesday the effort and strain and the way they coach it is why they are able to consistently create takeaways. But as we've seen in the past, some defenses that rely upon that can go cold, and that can be you know, a big step in the wrong direction when they don't get those takeaways. They have four games this year with fourteen plus points off turnovers. If you do that, you're gonna lose. They have twenty two takeaways. It's already more than they had all of last year. They had three takeaways in five of their first six games, and that other game was two takeaways. They had three against the Niners on Sunday. They've had multiple takeaways and eight of their eleven games, and those numbers don't correlate with wins. But I think it's a game where both offenses are really good. I think the takeaways will decide the game. They are one and one in games this year without a takeaway. The loss was to Detroit. The win over Houston, who's been awful for the last month and a half. Rashan Gary is their biggest issue as a pass rusher. We have to account for him at all times. He has tremendous size and speed combination, and I think that you need him. You need to help on him as much as you possibly can, because I don't really fear anybody else, and I think with the way that we operate our offense in this quarterback, I'm just not that worried about the pass rush now. I think it would be a key to me to win against someone like Lucas van Ness one on one all night long to give you options to help on Rashaan Gary as much as you can.
Speaker 2: And same with Preston Smith.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's got much juice in the tank either, but if you give them three takeaways, you can kiss this game goodbye. Don't turn it over. I think you'll get thirty plus points and win the football game. Additional parts on defense, The part I really didn't mention was the defensive tackles, and it's probably my favorite group on their defense. Funny how that goes. I freaking love Kenny Clarke, even though he slowed down a little bit. Davante Wyatt has been up and down good against the run. Not much of a pass rusher, but I think you can stretch him and wear him down with all that Brewer can do in terms of like his Pro Bowl, you know, skill set. Carl Brooks is another space either that I don't. I just don't think that you can depend on him to get wide on a consistent basis. So the outside running game is key to set the passing game up that way.
Speaker 2: What's at stake?
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, you know, not to do too much here and I read a column the other day that was titled that Mike McDaniel and two legacies will be defined in this game. I choose to not live and die with every single game, but that's an optics thing right now. I prefer to operate more in the reality of the situation, and the reality is this. I don't think a loss sinks the season. I think they could easily win the last five games after a loss here. But I said it on Wednesday, I think a win here puts us in the postseason comfortably.
Speaker 2: I would actually guarantee you.
Speaker 1: I think we blast the Jets twice and Cleveland as well. I think we are a better football team than both Houston and San Francisco, and we'll get at least one of those games, if not both. This is the hardest game left on the schedule. If we win this one, I believe we'll seize hold of a playoff spot by the end of business in Week fourteen after beating the Jets and then back to the optics, I mean optics. It's funny, how much does it play here right? Primetime game even the Rams game wasn't like the prettiest game offensively, the previest game winning team eight and three.
Speaker 2: Check that off the big board as well.
Speaker 1: Below thirty degrees, you can kill every single narrative in one fell swoop right here. You can do it, and I really hope we do it, and I keep thinking about this. I've gone on the air this week and just rave to you about the maturity and the growth and the professionalism of Tua Toungua Bailoa. I think the final step in the evolution of a guy that's locked in. He's the principle of the building, the ultimate pro the Drew breeze of it all the Tom Brady almost it won't go that far, but let's uncover that aspect of his game. Because when the game has been on the line since Buffalo, all this dude has done is come up with big throw after big throw, big drive after big drive. The two gotta have it touchdowns there points on every second half drive against the Rams, with them scoring on the other side to make it a one possession game every single time, scoring on literally every possession against the Raiders, and then putting the Pats away in the first.
Speaker 2: Half of the game last week.
Speaker 1: I want to win by a lot, don't get me wrong, but imagine two taking us down the field to win it at the buzzer in this one, allow yourself to imagine that dream of a weekend you could have from that. So everything is sort of at stake, but the consequence is not the absolute end. But I think you can build a little bit of a cushion with the win here, and it would be nice to relieve some of that pressure with the win. The range of outcomes. I like the matchup. I love where this team is at. I think they've been hardened by their experience this year. I really think this could be the spot where it turns around. But then again, what kind of fool would I have to be to come in here and just keep doing the same thing over and over again. I'm gonna finally heed my advice. I'm gonna heal turn after I just spent forty minutes here telling you guys how great we are, and I'm gonna say that, for whatever reason, the situation is just too much to overcome all those narratives in one fell swoop on a short week. No less, I think this game is close either way, and the range covers either side winning this ball game by a field goal or a touchdown, And I don't think the cold air will prevent offenses from moving the football. Well, I'm just really worried about their offense, So I'm gonna go Packers thirty four Dolphins thirty one. Probably should end the episode there by didn't have my key yet. Number one win the turnover battle. Number two play with elite I discipline on defense, and number three maintain efficient, explosive passing game and just spread the ball to your playmakers and go after this Packers' defense. Maybe maybe that's how I reverse the curse pick against the Dolphins. That's what we're gonna go with you all. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us a rating to leave us a review. Follow me on social at Winfeld NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out Seth and Juice on the Fish Tank podcast. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins HQ, and much much more Miami Dolphins dot com, and we'll be back with you guys on Friday morning for the recap episode and Friday night for the All twenty two.
Speaker 2: Please be a win. I'm hoping so much for that.
Speaker 1: Until next time, fins up Calin Cameron Daddy, He's coming Hold