Speaker 1: The Eagles are still on top of the world, but for this week they're in Indianapolis. So what does Howie Roseman have up his sleeve? As Philly begins a title defense, we'll ask him. Howie joins the show tonight, so does Chiefs coach Andy Reid, who is on the end of a not so super finished for the Chiefs. Big Reds already turned the page to twenty twenty five. What's that gonna look like, Judy Battista will ask him. I Meanwhile, Kirk Cousins remains a Falcon and the team says that's not gonna change anytime soon. But can Captain Kirk really coexist as a backup to Michael Pennix. Let's give Raheem Morris on the show too. We got nothing but time. Welcome Inside with the Insiders, a special two hour edition tonight here in Indianapolis at the twenty twenty five NFL Scouting Combine, alongside Judy Batista, Mike Garafolo, and Ian Rappable. I am Tom Pelsaro right down there in two days, forty eight hours. For now, Web's gonna do that too. You're a little bit greasy. You're gonna have players out there doing drills. That's, of course what all the coaches and general managers and scouts came to see. But first, we heard from many of those coaches and gms on the podiums today addressing some of the biggest topics in this offseason. Let's start out with Duke Tobin, the de facto GM of the Cincinnati Bengals. We've had some rather straightforward comments regarding Jamar Chase. Of course, the Bengals made a push to re sign Chase back in last offseason, all the way into training camp, weren't able to get the deal done.
Speaker 2: This time we're on.
Speaker 1: Tobin said he's gonna end up being the number one paid non quarterback in the league. We're there, let's get it done, the highest paid non quarterback in the league, with me topping justin Jefferson's thirty five million dollars per year average.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they can get there.
Speaker 1: Travis Kelcey, meanwhile, has had the future a subject of conversation since Ian reported the night before the Super Bowl then it could potentially be his final game. Hearing Brett Vechtill address it today, it certainly sounds like they anticipate Kelsey coming back, Vez said they left it as Kelsey is fired up to return. You'll hear from Brett Veach as well. He sat down with me earlier today. As for Miles Garrett, he's also going nowhere, much to his own chagrin, at least at this point. Andrew Barry, pressed repeatedly during his media session today, said that the team stance really has not changed. They have no plans and no interest in trading one of the NFL's.
Speaker 2: Superstar pass rushers.
Speaker 1: We were all in a hall at the Indianapolis Convention Center today ian for hours on end in time. There were five different GM slash head coaches talking to the media.
Speaker 2: What's the most interesting thing you heard?
Speaker 3: For me, it is the Travis Kelcey situation.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the multi time Super Bowl participants have leaned on notish Patrick Mahomes, but his relationship with Travis Kelcey. One of the best tight ends in the NFL, still one of the best tight ends, maybe the best tight end ever. His future has been a subject of discussion. My understanding, you mentioned it before the Super Bowl. He was very much up in the air. He later confirmed that on his own podcast, and now Bret Beach saying they anticipate Travis Kelsey being back. My understanding is that is the plan. Travis Kelcey does, in fact plan to be back. His contract for seventeen a little more than seventeen million dollars should stand in place Kelsey. As Veach actually mentioned and your interview, Tom was dealing with some illness during Super Bowl week. Maybe that contributed to his performance during the Super Bowl. But the main thing is he wants to play. He's ready to play. They believe he has a lot left. So it is a reboot for the Kansas City Chiefs as far as the skill position goes, and Kelsey and Mahomes well.
Speaker 5: The most interesting thing I heard was from Zach Taylor. The Bengals head coach. Duke Tobin was on the podium saying they are prepared to make Jamar Chase the highest paid non quarterback in the league. Zach Taylor said, they're going to bring all of their stars back. His expectation, that was his word. It is his expectation that all of them will be back. Chase says the highest paid non quarterback t Higgins who could be a free agent, Trey Hendrickson. All of them, he said, will be back. I said, is that realistic? And he says, well, it's certainly a possibility. I said, well, is that what you think is going to happen, and he said, that's my expectation. That would certainly be quite an off season for the Bengals if they managed to have everybody back. Also, interestingly, he said they are looking at the entire structure of their off season program. The focus is they know they have to get out to a faster start than they have in previous seasons. He said, they're looking at everything, how they work in the off season, how they work in training camp to try to generate early wins.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, in a nightly segment, we are calling touch talk the animation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, roll the animation control room. You've never heard we have the animation. We don't have the animation.
Speaker 3: I thought we were going to have an animation for Pushtomer. You're such a liar the bush.
Speaker 6: Nick Sirianni, Eagles head coach, asked about it, and you know, he was preparing his answer and that word one, two, three, four, the fifth word they're insulted.
Speaker 1: Kept coming up.
Speaker 6: That he feels a little bit insulted that it's called an automatic play, and he says, it's not an automatic play because of the strategy or the formation or anything. It's an automatic play in a lot of ways because we're really good at it, and we work hard at it, and our guys are talented at it, and this is something that we like to use to our advantage. So the insulted part I think was also he didn't flat out say it, but also toward the idea that this was going to be raised to be potentially banned because.
Speaker 1: It's an effective play.
Speaker 6: I know we had the debate last night a little bit of maybe some concerns about potential health issues on that play, but he's saying, we run the play more than anybody.
Speaker 7: I can't think of an injury that we've ever.
Speaker 1: Had on that play.
Speaker 6: So Nick Sirianni really coming with the counter punch today. This has been touch push touch talk presented by do we sell it?
Speaker 2: We're gonna I can think of a few candidates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can advertise an NFL network, I would say, also was interested listening to some of the other coaches who were asked today about the Packers proposal to ban the tush push. Raheem Morris in particular said, I thought it should have been banned three years ago. He was smiling and laughing, but he was saying, it doesn't look like any other play in the game. Credit to the Eagles for running it so effectively, but I will absolutely be one of those voting against that. To a defensive coordinator was saying, it's an issue just because of the way that the play begins. You need to create some type of time elements so the push doesn't happen immediately. Maybe that's a consideration. Say it has to be at least the yard downfield.
Speaker 6: John Harball, not a member of the competition committee now, but I believe he was before, said he's totally fine with it. So again, you're gonna have to get twenty four votes for it. If you're getting split votes.
Speaker 5: Justice coaches are not the ones who vote for rules shape all owners, and that sometimes is a problem.
Speaker 1: Maybe the most interesting thing I heard was one of the last podium sessions today, Colts general manager Chris Ballor, just about an hour ago, said they intend to not only add a quarterback to the room, but when asked what type of competition it'll be, he said it'll be open. Joe Flacco, of course, at one point took over as the starter. That was benched again in favor of Anthony rich when they brought in Flaco on a one year deal that was really to be a true backup. We're talking about having an open competition. You have to wonder who potentially could those quarterbacks be. There's a bunch of veterans who have uncertain features. You've got guys like Russell Wilson and Justin Fields who are going to be free agency seven, Sam Darnold Gardner Minshew was there once before. He's got guaranteed money left on his contract with the Raiders, and today John Spytech said they have to evaluate everybody, including Minshew, that potentially could be another name that enters into the marketplace. Could they also draft one, Probably not just yet. It was not that long ago, a couple of years ago, that they used the number three overall pick on Anthony Richardson. But you can be assured there will be some quarterbacks in the conversation to go really, really high. Bucky Brooks has his latest mock draft at NFL dot Com. He's got two in the top three. Cam Ward going to the Browns at number two, Shador Sanders going to the Giants at number three, But all that presumes that the Titans are going to pass on a quarterback at number one? Is this for Ian had Mike Borganci might ask that question, All.
Speaker 4: Right, let's get right into it. You guys hold the number one overall pick. I think everyone here is asking about it. What kind of conversations have you had centered around the number one pick?
Speaker 3: And where do you guys stand as far as are you going to make it or not?
Speaker 8: You know, you know, I think we're still early in the process right now. We've evaluated all the tape. There's more tape that we have to kind of get through. But this is like a very important time for us. This is a touch point for us where we get to really meet these players for the first time and sit down and talk with them. So I don't think we're anywhere near making a decision if we're going to stay put and make the pick or trade out. But yeah, it's early on in the process right now for that for that decision.
Speaker 4: You know, there have been times in the past when you leave the combine and deals have happened. I believe the Bears Panthers deal happened a couple of days after like a week maybe after the and it sounds like not putting more gim out, but it sounds like this might take a little more time for you guys. I mean obviously given new staff, new people to to kind of get solidified as far as what do you want to do.
Speaker 8: And I think so because that's a that's a great point you made.
Speaker 9: It's it's a it's a.
Speaker 8: New staff for me getting to learn the staff. So I think we're going to need this entire process really to get through to make the best decision for the team. Like I said, there's a lot of more information gathering that we have to do here with the next month and a half.
Speaker 4: Do you have a sense of this draft class in general? You know, they all have strength and weaknesses, they have positions better on that, do you have a sense early on what this draft class is going to look like?
Speaker 3: Because whether you're picking one or I don't even I don't know anywhere else, like you're gonna get some get a chance. It's some pretty good players.
Speaker 8: It's a good class. And we just went through phase one. We call it up setting the board. We went through the whole meetings with the with the college scouts and The one thing that stands out once you look at the board is there's a lot of depthy defensive line, you know, edge rushers, running backs, you know, I think some good tight ends in the draft. So those are the kind of the groups that stand out just visually looking at the board after we said it too.
Speaker 4: So you are in a unique situation. Obviously, you start your new job. Your old team was playing in the Super Bowl. Yeah lost unfortunately. Yeah, can you take me through what the last month was like for you?
Speaker 3: You take a job, so exciting, coolest thing ever your team's playing in the super Bowl, but also they love, like what has this been like for you?
Speaker 8: You know, it's so much different when the coaches finish out the season then take a new job. So if you get a new gym, you kind of get thrown right in the middle of it because it's an important time of the season. So it's been tough to explain to people. But you know, for instance, I was in Dallas at the East West and my hotel room watching a playoff game there. I'm in Nashville in my hotel room watching it with my family, the Super Bowl. So it's it's definitely been it's been strange.
Speaker 4: Well, let's focus on your new team for a second. You know, you guys, obviously the record is what it is. You're picking number one for a reason. It sounds like a simple question. But where can this team get better?
Speaker 8: You know, as we looked at the at the roster, there's a lot of places we can get better, you know, particularly in the trenches. You know, I think we want to try to build O line D line. So we're going to attack this thing, whether it's through free andcy the draft here, but I think it all starts up up front for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean having a draft class that seems to have that sort of talent level is probably a good thing.
Speaker 9: Which is a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then you know, on the quarterback, obviously Will comes back, had some moments last year, had some not good moments last year. I think it's fair to say you guys are in the quarterback market on some level. Where does that stand as far as your acquisition for whoever may or may not end up being your starting quarterback for next year?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I've I've had conversations with Will. I did Will come out of Kentucky. You know, he's got a lot of talent. So we have one quarterback on the roster right now, so eventually we're gonna have to add through free and see all the draft. And I think it's going to be competition, whether it's.
Speaker 9: Through frame to see ow the draft.
Speaker 8: But but I when I sat down with Will, I talked to him, I said, listen, we gon gave you every opportunity to compete with wherever we bring in here.
Speaker 3: Interesting, right, Thank you, man, really appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of quarterback questions up there at the top of the NFL Draft, including that one at number three. The Giants saw a lot of this. This tape could go on for a while based upon the quarterback play over the last couple of years. Joe Shane, though, has a plan to fix it. He was asked today exactly how he's gonna put that room together.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and where we are, Tommy Devido is our only quarterback on the roster, so you may evaluate both of those. Those both both maybe options. So you know, again, we don't know what's going to happen in the draft. We don't know who's going to be there. You know, when we get around these kids, they may or may not be a fit for us. So you know, we're gonna have to dress the position somewhere. And even if you get a young quarterback, you'd like to have a vet, you know, in the room with them to show them the ropes and how to be a pro. So you know, we're looking at all different avenues. It's hey, is this guy gonna be really good for a young quarterback? Or is this guy at starter, you know? Or can we get a guy in the draft, or if we do, should we have a guy that's more of a you know, a guy that can develop and show a guy how to be a pro. So you know we're gonna look at you know, vets, We're gonna look at the draft, We're gonna look at trade candidates. You know, we're gonna look at under every rock to you know, find the best prospect for us going in the twenty five season.
Speaker 1: You're playing the Tommy DeVito game at home. You waited thirteen minutes, but now drink Judy, what did you make of what Joe Shane is.
Speaker 5: Well, they literally said it, We're going to look under every rock. I mean he ruled nothing out. First of all, it's clear they're looking not just for one quarterback, but more than one quarterback. Even if they draft a guy, they want a veteran guy in there to help.
Speaker 11: If it's a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 5: They are open to free agency, they're open to trades, they're open to He brought it up moving up in the draft or moving down in the draft. There is nothing he ruled out here. He certainly didn't clarify anything. He of course, when he was asked specifically a out Matthew Stafford, he's, well, that's really a question for the Rams, even though you know the Rams have said, you know, Matthew Staffords sort of you knew he was going to do that. But basically they are looking everywhere for a quarterback. He acknowledged they've made some decisions in the past that did not really pan out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the only thing he ruled in was Tommy DeVito drink. What do you drink for the Tommy DeVito drinking game?
Speaker 11: And it's gotten right exactly.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, the comment from Joe Shane about we want a guy who's gonna be able to show a young guy the ropes. Some of these quarterbacks that are available might not like that necessarily, but some of them are. I mean, even Aaron Rodgers talked about him being open to the idea of mentoring a quarterback at this point in his career. So that's going to have to be a fact of life, whether it's Matthew Stafford or Aaron Rodgers. The fact that they could still draft somebody with that third overall pick that you're coming in and basically mentoring while also holding onto the job for as long.
Speaker 1: As you possibly can.
Speaker 6: As for Stafford, yeah, I mean, the Giants are certainly in the mix for him, but the Rams won him back. The Las Vegas Raiders are in it. We talked about that as a possibility. So there's a couple of things that need to fall here, and they're not necessarily in control of their own destiny on some of these.
Speaker 4: Well, right, I mean, if we can't really talk about the Giants quarterback situation without mentioning the Matthew Stafford situation and whether or not the Rams decide to move them at all, whether they decide to move them to the Raiders or the Giants, whether Stafford can do a deal with either of the teams before the Rams then end up doing a deal to find the right compensation. It's extremely complicated, and really it does seem this is probably the first quarterback domino that's going to fall before all the other things. But Joe Shane also said, as you guys mentioned the possibility they move all the way up to number one, And if the Giants want to be in control of everything regarding their quarterback situation, if they believe there is a quarterback presumable we can ward who'd be worthy of the number one pick, then that is what they need to do to have certainty. That is the only way they could say, we know for sure what quarterback we are getting to trade up to one. We've seen it in the past, We've seen the Panthers do, We've seen some other teams do it. We are a long way from there, and as Borganzi told me, they still need to figure out a lot before they even though would they trade that pick.
Speaker 3: But if the Giants want control, that's their control.
Speaker 1: There is so much more to come this week here in Indianapolis, the site of the NFL Scouting Combine, that's where the drills are going to begin on Thursday. It's the NFL Combine presented by Microsoft Copilot, where a dream that starts small can get big, and a name that's unknown can become the future. Next is here. The twenty twenty five NFL Combine starts in two days Thursday to Sunday. Right here on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Insiders.
Speaker 4: I'm Ian Rappaport here with Eagles general manager Howie Roseman. Or wait, super Bowl winning general manager Howie Roseman.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I gotta add the extra title thank.
Speaker 4: You when we last saw you, besides doing the podiumself over here, you are standing in front of millions of people bleeding and declaring how you bleed for the city of Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of great Philly moments.
Speaker 4: Looking back on that, What was that a surreal experience?
Speaker 13: Like, Yeah, I don't think that when I woke up in the morning and thought that I was going on the parade, bleeding from my head was part of was the dance on the dance card at all. So I really wasn't expecting it. But obviously we got unbelievably passionate fans. I know that there's no malicious intent, you know. Unfortunately for me, at a moment, I decided to go to the other side of the bus, closer to the fans, and I think that that was an invitation to toss me a beer. And the only good thing about the video coming out, which I don't want to watch again because I maybe concussed if I just watched it five times, but I think the only good thing was someone actually asked me if, like I try to catch it and I dropped it. They were like questioning my hands, and it was like, you know, I wasn't even thinking that. So you know, the rest of the parade, I spent people trying to toss me more beers pointing to my forehead.
Speaker 7: They still threw me beers.
Speaker 13: Those I caught.
Speaker 3: Those I caught, all right. I like that. Plus you look like you've held up pretty nicely.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I knew I had to get right for this moment, and you know, I still got a little mark.
Speaker 8: But we're doing all right, We're right.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about this moment, not this interview, but where we're at right now.
Speaker 3: Free agency a couple weeks away. You got some big ones, someone.
Speaker 4: Who maybe if you asked me a year ago, would like Zach Bond be one of your big free agents. I would say not necessarily. That was one of the best signings in all football. Obviously you got Josh Wett, your own, Makai Becton. Take me through some of your free agents, Williams. How you handle what's going to happen the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's a quick turnaround from obviously being really excited about how we ended the season and extremely appreciative to our players and coaches to now getting right down to business. And in some ways that's probably better. So you can't have too much time to kind of think about it. You just kind of have to go into action. And those guys have earned this opportunity in free agency, you know, obviously our goal would be to keep as many of them as we can. As we look at our roster, we got a lot of guys who've earned their contracts, and so we'll just have to see how it goes in the next couple of weeks here. But all the guys you mentioned really good players, really good people who are huge parts of our football team.
Speaker 4: So obviously we went through the celebration you guys had, you were through it.
Speaker 3: Now how quickly does the page turn?
Speaker 7: Really quickly?
Speaker 13: I think from our perspective, we understand that people have been in this process with their coaches, with their front office for a longer periods of time. And so although we had all fall and the winter to go through the free agents and the draft, so the evaluation process was ongoing throughout the season, you know, having those conversations and sharing kind of the vision of the off season and getting some feedback of it. That's the thing that probably has to happen real quicker.
Speaker 4: So last thing, you guys have thrived over the last many years, building through the offensive line and defensive line, right, even if it's not premium pick, sometimes it is, But even if it's not, that's really been your most talented groups. As this has gotten more discussion naturally, is that annoying and frustrating that other people may be onto what you guys.
Speaker 3: Generally do well.
Speaker 13: I think at the end of the day, the most important thing is what we do, you know, for our football team and the decisions we make, you know, I think the hardest thing throughout the off season is that good players are going to sign to teams that, quite frankly, I'd rather them not sign with. Good players are gonna get drafted by teams that, quite frankly I'd rather than not get drafted with and so we got to focus on how we can improve our football team, how we can improve our roster. And I think that that's challenging as it is without having to worry about what everyone.
Speaker 14: Else is doing.
Speaker 3: How we appreciate you. Congrats again.
Speaker 8: Thanks he.
Speaker 3: Battle scars for Howie Rosmen. There it is right there.
Speaker 4: You could see in my interview with him, he look totally fine.
Speaker 3: There it is right there.
Speaker 4: Scars from the war that was the Eagles parade came right up to the podium and said, I bleed for this city. Iconic moment for the city of Philadelphia. Maybe not quite like winning the Super Bowl, but certainly up there is something that would be replayed for years to come as well.
Speaker 3: This right here, man, Jalen hurt says, really age, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: He looks exactly the same, literally exactly the same. If he went out there right now and took part in the NFL scouting combine.
Speaker 3: I would think he was a twenty one year old Hurts.
Speaker 12: Of course I thought he was.
Speaker 3: Thirty at the time. Anyway, this is where we are.
Speaker 4: Jalen Hurts has come a long way in the football field, but maybe not a long way in his headshot.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Kansas City Chiefs. Though once out of the Super Bowl we covered here's the other side.
Speaker 4: That's Patrick Mahomes dropping one in the bucket during these Super Bowl Let's talk to his coach, Andy Reid to find out a little more and their plans to be back next season.
Speaker 15: Coming up on The Insiders, New Today into The Insiders, Khalil Shakir, the Bills wide receiver fresh off a seventy six catch for touchdown season, agrees to terms.
Speaker 6: On a new four year, sixty point two million dollar extension, gets thirty two million guaranteed. This according to Ian and Tom So, the Bills get Shakir under contract for another five years total.
Speaker 1: There good deal for Buffalo and.
Speaker 6: Good deal for the Chiefs that Travis Kelcey is returning in twenty twenty five. This, according to Brett Veach Today in speaking to the media the Bill's general managers was sort of anti climactic, like we thought this was going to drag on for a while, and then in the end Kelsey decides he is coming back for a thirteenth NFL season, And before his first NFL season, this is how he looked as the Chiefs posted a then versus Now Handsome Fella Back then Handsome Fella Now. He had the flowing locks for the Super Bowl as well, growing that hair back out, almost looking like his combine flow from years ago. Here is Travis Kelsey's head coach, Andy Reid, with our head coach, Judy Batista.
Speaker 11: Andy, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 5: You've had about two weeks to reflect on the Super Bowl. When you look back, what are your takeaways?
Speaker 16: Yeah, it was a bad day to have bad day, for sure, So there are a bunch of things we can learn from it without going publicly with it. I think it's important that you write him down and then step away, get away and relax here little bit when you're thinking a little clearer. It's so emotional and it's so final that you can forget about the other nineteen games before that, or eighteen whatever it was before that. So you've got to take it all in, and you got to take the whole year in and then come up with what you need to work on for the offsias As a coach, obviously start with yourself, and then as players you've got to do the same thing. So and the one positive with the guys came out and they I listened to what they said after the game, and they were all going, I could have done this better, I could have done that better. Well, if you're willing to take upon that accountability, I think good. You know, change can happen and positive things can happen.
Speaker 5: I know, on the podium before you told the reporters that you had told Travis to take some time, get away, clear his head a little bit. Your GM made it sound like you're expecting good news from him. Brett indicated that he's fired up, he expects him to be back.
Speaker 16: Is yeah understanding, Yeah, no, I think we'll all work out. But I'm big on that. I'm big on stepping away. I mean, Trav's positive, so everything's there's no negative to it, but step back and.
Speaker 12: Get yourself away from it.
Speaker 16: And I told all the players that, I told all the coaches that you just think clearer and we obviously hope he's coming back. He's been positive in that direction.
Speaker 12: So but you know, we'll cross all that here next week or so.
Speaker 5: So all right, as we turn the page, when you when you look at the team, when you look at what happened in the super Bowl, and maybe in some of the other games. What do you think your priorities are going into the roster buildings.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so I think Brett does a nice job with going through every position and kind of look at the strengths and the weakness of each spot, and then he's got to project that on like a three year advanced projection. So, and what they're doing with the cap and we're not one of those teams that kicks at kazillion dollars forward and does all of that. I mean, we're we're gonna draft well, and we're gonna be smart in free agency. And and so we're right in the middle, kind of the middle of that process. And and Brett further than I am. Uh, that's his that's his baby right there. So but he's he's looking at all that. I've got full confidence that he takes care of all that, you know, but as much as he possibly can.
Speaker 5: What's your expectation, Tray Smith will be a free agents are coming up?
Speaker 11: What's your expectation.
Speaker 16: We've got a handful of these guys that are pretty good football players that are going to be free agents. You're probably not gonna be able to bring them all back. Tray's one we would love to get back obviously, just because of what he is and what he kind of stands for and a great human being. First of all, I'm a phenomenal human and a tough one to boot. So anyways, he's right in the middle of it. He's working on all that stuff.
Speaker 5: You're an offensive line guy, is that your primary focus this off season?
Speaker 11: Getting that offensive line right?
Speaker 16: I'm always going to look at the offensive line and defensive line first and then go from there.
Speaker 12: That's where I normally start just over the years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, does this feel like maybe a more momentous off season for you? Maybe because you're coming off a loss at disappointing Laws, You've had so many wins in recent years, but again because you have a handful of pretty big free agents, does this feel like a critical off season for you to sort of go into the next phase For the Chiefs, I'm.
Speaker 12: Tell you, they all seem critical.
Speaker 16: There's so much parody in this league right now that you have got to stay on your A game and if you don't, you're going to get your tail kicked. So you get to here and you're going, oh my goodness, this thing, or even three days after the Super Bowl, you're hitting the Petz Enemy a thing of free agents to look at, and then going through our free agents and looking at the spots that are potentially open on your team. It slaps you right in the face every year. I mean it's crazy. So and you know you better be able to fill the majority of those or you're gonna have a tough time. So in some way or another, they all can't be the highest paid guys in the national football You have to able to.
Speaker 12: Balance that out.
Speaker 11: It's one of those things.
Speaker 5: Maybe getting another playmaker for Patrick, whether even if you get Travis back, do you think you need to add firepower to the offense.
Speaker 16: Yeah, one thing brought He's very aware of this and he talks about it. You have a player Patrick, They're all this way, but you have arguably the best player in the league or at that position for just this period of time, and so you always want to try to feed them the best you can you can possibly get for them and give him the tools that he needs.
Speaker 12: To also be successful.
Speaker 16: So Brett does that, and there is no better year to look at it than this year by all the movement that he that he had with injuries and having to put guys bring guys in and hop comes in and jumps in and is productive for us. So I thought Brett did a did a nice job with all that Hollywood, you know, likewise, So yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 5: So you were just sort of referencing Patrick's window, right, That's what we call it, his window? Are you with Patrick as his head coach for as long as his window is open?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: I don't. He might play at least forty. That put me on a cane, So.
Speaker 11: We would take that.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 16: Now we'll see, we'll see how all that goes here. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I like doing what I'm doing, and I like it right now, so I'm happy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, great, Andy, Thanks.
Speaker 12: You, betch I appreciate you.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 12: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Top prospects in the twenty twenty five NFL Draft are descending upon Indianapolis. That is the site of the twenty twenty five scouting Combine. It all starts Thursday, live exclusive coverage on NFL Network and NFL Plus. For more on the combine, let's welcome in Sam Schwartzstein Prime Video and Thursday Football is Analytics Expert to help us break this down. With a little bit of help from next Gen Stats. Okay, Sam, there's a lot of different ways you can break down players, but we're still doing a lot of the traditional testing. It's the forty, it's the three cone. What can that stuff tell us about these guys?
Speaker 18: Look the traditional stats, we have them for years and so being able to look back at those stats that combine dates back all the way to nineteen eighty two, it's been in Indianapolis since nineteen eighty seven, we can utilize that data to then track those players to identify what are their performance is going to be outside Now, even for offensive linemen, you might say, when is an offensive lineman ever going to run forty yards? We can actually look back at the data and identify that the forty is one of the best indicators for success for an offensive tackle. It doesn't just measure speed how fast are getting there, it's their flexibility as well as their ability to stay healthy through that process and be able to finish the forty like I didn't do it the Pro Day ten years ago. So you know, that's a clear indicator that a player is going to be good for offensive lineman and using all this rich data, we can use Athletic Scores, Next Gen Stats has an athletic score that's a blended metric that looks at how good a player has been on a hole for their position, and Next Gen sets has it all the way through two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: And we've had more of the next Gen sets over these past couple of combines here, So what good is it?
Speaker 18: Look, when you use tracking data, you can go a little bit deeper and we can get what we call game speed from that. So you're going to hear a broadcasters over the year saying he might have had the best forty, but he had great game speed. And using a drill like the Gauntlet where a wide receiver is starting online and they're then going to run across the field and be able to catch a ball. Throughout that process, you can actually see what game speed will be. And this is a clear indicator of a guy like Puka Nakula who did not have the best forty, but actually the fastest time through the gauntlet, and not just when you wash him in the gauntlet. You're seeing that he's not making mistakes, he's able to stay on the line of scrimmage. And using the next ten Stats tracking data, we saw reached over twenty miles per hour.
Speaker 17: So then when you're.
Speaker 18: Looking at the next season, you have Keyon Coleman. He was another player. He was more of a basketball player at in Michigan State, then transfering to Florida State, had a good season, but when you look at his gauntlet drill, he performed better there than the gauntlet. That helps people realize, hey, he's not just the player that might have a slower forty. But being able to utilize the tracking data to reflect game speed will take us one step.
Speaker 17: Further than what the traditional combined drills will do.
Speaker 1: So what else can tracking data help? Let's tell about these guys.
Speaker 18: Look, it's fun because this is greenfield, you know, and that means that there's so many different things that you can do by looking at the different drills that players are doing and be able to then start tracking more and more things. Look when the next Gen Stats team I talked to Keigan Abdoll earlier today, they had a hunch that the Gauntlet would be a great drial to measure, but it wasn't a guarantee that it was going to be a great thing.
Speaker 2: And we're doing that.
Speaker 18: With more and more drills this season this combine. Looking at ways players can stand out in the Pacific drills, not just nutritional drills that we have over time. I didn't really looking forward to what we do with defensive lineman. How whether we're able to track from running the hoop. There's other things that that tracking you that can let us go even deeper with numbers as well as at the end of day, you gotta watch the film and make sure the players can play, but the numbers will take us deeper.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing based on the fact that you're sitting next to me and not, you know, playing for when these seam of the prote didn't go great.
Speaker 18: It wasn't the best day for me, But I think I'm doing okay. But uh, you know, a lot of other players had great prote's but I'll let them have that.
Speaker 12: Shy.
Speaker 1: We love what you do, Sam, Thank you very much.
Speaker 11: This is a little bit strange. For the second year in a row.
Speaker 5: The fate of Kirk Cousins is one of the big questions at the scouting Combine. Last year, at this time he was slated to be one of the biggest prizes in free agency. Didn't really pan out the way the Atlanta Falcons or Kirk Cousins had hoped he lost the starting job in the middle of the season, and now general manager Terry front No is out here telling us that the team is comfortable keeping Cousins as the backup quarterback. Our Camp Wolf sat down with head coach Raheem Marris to get his thoughts on Cousins and much much more.
Speaker 3: Rahem, thanks for joining us today.
Speaker 19: Obviously, coming off your first year, what do you think the biggest thing you learn coaching the Falcons was last year?
Speaker 20: You know, you learn stuff every single day, and it's hard to say the biggest, but ultimately you want to find ways to be able to finish. And we had a great start, but obviously we ended up disappointed and you got to be able to find out how to maintain that throughout the season. And you about to find out how to maintain that fight and that urgency and that consistent effort in order to get us to where we want to go.
Speaker 17: And we didn't do that last year, and it was this pointing for us. It's just pointing for our fans.
Speaker 20: But like we look forward to moving forward, we look forward to going to get those things accomplished and get those things done for us.
Speaker 19: You mentioned moving forward. A big part of that is your quarterback. Michael Penick showed a lot of poise last few games. Maybe what is one thing you hope to see him grow f in twenty twenty five as we see him on the field, you.
Speaker 20: Know, and it's really just winning, you know for him. You know, he showed all the poise, He showed the maturity. He showed it as a backup, he showed it as a starter. He showed the ability to go out there and remain poised throughout the situation, no matter what it was. He played in the playoff like environment. We played that Commander game there late in the season. Now it was about going out there and finding ways to win and find ways to show his team that they can lead him to wins and which we all believe in it. It really excites us as an organization, It excites us as a city.
Speaker 17: It excites us.
Speaker 20: Just across the board, and we look forward to him leading us into what we want to get done.
Speaker 19: I can see your smile as you talk about that assitement. Is there something that you know about him or you learned about him that maybe the rest of us are going to learn.
Speaker 20: It's hard not to smile when you talk about Michael and the maturity, the growth, the development, the ability to touch every part of the field, his athleticism, which was some of the things that we learned about him, some of the things that really grew on us when we washingon scramblefod touchdowns, do some of those different things, which was different from college us up. He keeps the whole city engaged. He keeps us engaged as coaches and moving forward is really what you surround them, what you surround them with, what you do with them. And we got to get better on defense around them. We got to get better on offense around him. And he'll get better as he matures and he grows and develops to the guy that think it can be.
Speaker 19: I know you and Terry talked earlier about Kirk Cousins and him being your backup quarterback. How do you navigate that as a coach? You know a guy who was accomplished a lot, but he's in a little bit of an awkward period, so to speak.
Speaker 20: There's no doubt about it. And those awkward periods are always created in the National Football League, whether you're talking about quarterback position or you're talking about the d line position. Those things always created the competition at this level is very high, and we're in a comfortable spot where we're at without decision making, and we got to move forward and find out what we're going to do next year. And really we just got finish talk about when we talk about Michael Pennocks and moving forward, how you're going to do those things. We know who our starting quarterback is. We didn't wish we didn't do at this time last year. We know exactly where we're going. We know that why receivers were throwing to whether you're talking about Drake London or Mooney or Ray Ray McCloud or Kyle Pitts or b John Robinson. We know some of these things that we got known commodities and we got to building those things.
Speaker 17: We gotta build those things moving forward.
Speaker 19: Say Kirk is still there when you coach and OTAs in April, how do you handle that?
Speaker 17: You know, I feel great about the human. I know who the human is.
Speaker 20: I've been around them before in DC, I've been around him here at Atlanta. He had himself in such a great way. We're gonna move forward to how we got to get it done. But we're always gonna do what's best for the Atlanta focus. Obviously, we're here for the combine. The draft's a big part of it.
Speaker 19: You got fifteenth overall, pitch sure, a lot of defensive players, a lot of defensive tackles, ede rushers. What stands out to you when you look at this crop and maybe what can help you when you come around to April.
Speaker 20: You know, we're very young into the process. Right now, we're talking about the evaluation of them all, and we've all heard about the highly anticipated defensive draft, So I can't wait to dive deep into it with the guys, with Tarry and those guys who a lot of who are far ahead of us right.
Speaker 17: Now, we're talking about the coach staff.
Speaker 20: But when we get these guys right now, obviously we're gonna have to go find rush.
Speaker 17: There's no secret. We talked about it. Last year. We had to go find a quarterback.
Speaker 20: This year, we got to go find ways to add to our rush pass rush.
Speaker 19: There's plenty of pass rushers in this gray. I've heard obviously the NFC South, that's your first title. Tampa's been that team for a while. What you know, obviously we talked about six and three for you guys at one period. What does it take for you guys to get over the top and take Tampa down?
Speaker 17: You know, we got to go beat Baker. Man, let's not get ourselves right.
Speaker 20: But you just can't add it just to Tampa right this this division is growing every single day. These things switch around so fast in the NFL. You know, I remember there was a time we're the best division. I remember times there were the worst division. And who knows going to happen in the next year. So like, you got to find ways to get better first at home and then you gotta find ways to beat that division in order to get you in the playoffs and get you to the spot you want to be in.
Speaker 19: Absolutely appreciate you, Raheem for the time always looking good and can't wait to see Thanksgab this year.
Speaker 17: Speaking of looking good, man, you look good.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that man.
Speaker 5: The NFL Combine presented by Microsoft co Pilot, where a dream that starts small can get big and a name that's unknown can become the future next is here. The twenty twenty five NFL Combine this Thursday thru Sunday on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus. And when we return on the Insiders, we're going to talk to Steelers general manager Omar Khan about their quarterback situation. Could it still involve that guy, Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: Pay no attention to the man behind the steel curtain? Actually, please do, because Omar Khan was kind enough to sit down today with Judy talking about these guys, Russell Wilson, justin fields and the future at quarterback in Pittsburgh. Miles Garrett is still in that division. He's still a Brown and to hear GM Andrew Berry tell it, that's not gonna change. But exactly how committed is Cleveland to getting its superstar back in the fold after a trade request. Mike g sits down with ab to break that down, and Cale Williams has a new coach in Chicago, Caleb Now it sounds like he's not leaving Ben Johnson alone. A great chat with the new Bears head coach awaits this hour as well. That's why they gave.
Speaker 2: Us sixty extra minutes.
Speaker 1: Welcome inside with the Insiders at the Combine. It is a two hour special tonight here inside Lucas Oil Stadium where in just a couple of days some of the top prospects in the twenty twenty five NFL Draft will be right down there on the field behind us, showing us what they can do. Alongside Judy Batista, Mike Garafalo, Ian rappaport I am Tom Pelicero. We got Chiefs GM Brett Veach on the show in this hour as well.
Speaker 2: We also have Bengals coach Zach.
Speaker 1: Taylor, who had some interesting things to say during his conversation at the podium with reporters as well as with Judy in parts, saying the expectation, in Taylor's words, is that they're going to have t Higgins and Trey Hendrickson back in the fold for twenty twenty five. T Higgins of course set up to become a free agent, but the Bengals have been committed to get a long term deal done. If they can't, it is likely and now expected that they're going to place the franchise tag on Higgins. As for Trey, Henderson wants a new contract dissension that puts him among the highest paid defensive players right now, He's still on the books for twenty twenty five, and certainly in Taylor's mind, that's not going to take place. Anywhere other than in Cincinnati. Anthony Richardson may have some changes on the horizon. GM Chris Ballard speaking for the reporters a short time ago and said they are going to add a veteran to that quarterback room, and when asked about the competition, Ballard said it'll be open. Anthony Richardson, of course, the fourth overall pick just a couple of years ago. Bench last season put back into the job they had Joe Flacco. He started for a bit, But based upon Ballard's words, seems like perhaps they're trying to bring in a little bit stronger competition this time around. I meanwhile, the Chiefs, it sounds like they're not going to need a new tight end. And how would they replace Travis Kelcey anyway, Brett Veach said earlier today when he left it with Travis Kelsey, Kelsey was fired up about coming back in twenty twenty five. Also told me that Kelsey was battling a more severe illness than anybody realized heading into the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Stick around a lot more from Brett Veach later on in this show.
Speaker 1: We are here at the scouting combine, Bucky Brooks released his mock draft two point zero ahead of the combine. He's got Abduel Carter up there going number one. Carter dealing with a shoulderage. You're gonna be cleared for Pro Day, not going to participate here. Cam Ward, Shadu or Sanders are up there in the top three as well, which would mean no quarterbacks sitting on the board for the Jets at number seven, they of course have a QB need. After announcing the week after the Super Bowl they are partying ways with forty one year old Aaron Rodgers moving on in a different direction. Darren Mougie today said there was no ultimatum to Aaron Rodgers. They simply decided it was time for a change. Here's what the new head coach, Aaron Glenn had to say.
Speaker 21: We're looking for smart, tough, aggressive and resilient players.
Speaker 17: All right.
Speaker 21: We're gonna do everything we can to find those guys. And listen, you can find them in all different spots, small schools, big time schools, trades where we can find them. We're gonna try to bring them on this team. We're gonna bring in competition at every position. It's not just the quarterback position that can be d tackled. dB linebacker, doesn't matter the nature of this game is competing, and we're gonna do that at every position. Listen, I understand the reaction of the players, but I will say this, Every decision that men moves you make is to win and to win now. So I understand it. But again, listen, that's not gonna be the last decision I make.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 21: That's gonna upset some people, and that's okay, right, but as men, we talk about it, we make sure we keep it in the house that we're gonna continue to do.
Speaker 1: Notable that he says every move is to win and win now, which means in turn, that means Aaron Rodgers was not the guy to win or win now. So what direction does this go in New York? Mic Well?
Speaker 6: Rod Taylor's on the roster right now and a candidate to be a starter for the Jets this season. Wouldn't be the last time, or this should be the first time that he was a bridge quarterback.
Speaker 1: For a team.
Speaker 3: Uh, at least a third time.
Speaker 6: Count them up, bean, while I'm talking, because you're probably right about that. Yeah, I mean Buffalo, he.
Speaker 1: Will legit clean.
Speaker 3: Yeah the fourth time.
Speaker 9: There you go.
Speaker 6: So, Tyrod Taylor Bridge a possibility, uh, and the draft as well. I mean they're there are a possibility to move up in the draft or even depending on how the top of the draft falls, could have a quarterback at that spot for them, uh there to potentially take there. So, you know, is every decision to win now, I mean, I think Darren Mougie came in and he pitched the Jets on a plan, a long term plan for how to build this thing up the right way. So I don't know, you know, and and quinnin Williams might be upset about this. He put out that tweet and then deleted it about I guess it's another rebuild year for me. You can rebuild quickly. There's enough talent on this roster that you can rebuild quickly. The question is what they're going to do at the quarterback position. They're not tipping their hands certainly on that, but at least they have tire Rod in house.
Speaker 17: Well.
Speaker 5: First of all, there was a strong new sheriff in town vibe from Aaron Glenn that he made it clear he had spoken to quinnin Williams about that we're going to keep that in house, and also saying like people are going to disagree with me, and that's fine. That was a very strong Bill Parcells vibe, by the way, like you can disagree with me, I'm the head coach. He also made the point that he does not want the entire team to be about the quarterback, right, and he is conscious of the fact that we're all quarterback obsessed in the NFL, but he wants this to be a more complete team. And that was certainly saying they did not want to discuss Aaron Rodgers in detail. They certainly want to put that behind him, But that was his way of saying, he's not going to see have a team that is constructed for the quarterback and by the quarterback, which is certainly what the Jets had for the last two seasons. Very much turning the page on the Aaron Rodgers era and the era of the Jets that was built just to Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Liking well, and this to me kind of brings me back to where Aaron Glenn came from in Detroit. I mean, obviously you know the Allion's quarterback. It's Jared Goffer. Reclamation project went from being someone who is just kind of cast aside by the Rams to being their franchise guy. But that's not how the team was built. It was been on the offensive line, it has been on the defensive line. It was built with impact players, regardless of kind of where they came from, and regardless off people thought, I don't know, should we take a running back in the top fifteen, or an off the ball linebacker in the first round, or a right tackle really early in the top of all these different places that talented players came from.
Speaker 3: This is how you built.
Speaker 4: And I think in Detroit we learned and you know, we've learned this in other places. But obviously Aaron Glenn saw it up close. This is not about just the quarterback. You can build around him, drop a quarterback in and see them have success. A clear sort of message that yes, we are going to be discussing the quarterbacks, but that is not all they are going to be discussing. That said, they picked number seven, they could take QB three anyway and end up with their franchise guy.
Speaker 3: All right, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So the Jets need the quarterback of both now and the future. The Vikings kind of have the opposite issue, where they've got a twenty seven year old Pro Bowl quarterback in Sam Donald coming off of the best season of his career on a one year contract, and they got twenty two year old JJ McCarthy who they took in the top ten of the draft just a year ago. Sam Donald at this point would become a free agent if they don't use the franchise tag, which remains a possibility. Kevin O'Connell addressed those possibilities today.
Speaker 22: Sam's year was so fun to be a part of, just thinking back to this time last year and then onward through the offseason, acquiring Sam and getting him to trust in us to help him on that next step in his quarterback journey, and what a step it was.
Speaker 9: So proud of the year he had.
Speaker 22: JJ's doing really well from a standpoint of where he's progressed do in his rehab and in a phase now where he's got his site set on that offseason program, start dating and getting off to a great start there. And then I can't speak enough about Daniel Jones and the short time we did have him. I thought it was incredibly impactful for Daniel, but also for us to get to know him and allow him to kind of learn a little bit about our offense, how we train and coach the quarterback position, and he showed some real positive early results from that. So feel incredibly fortunate to be discussing those kind of names, you know, with Brett Ripping and Nick Mullens also in our quarterback room, and you know, we're evaluating the short term and long term aspect of it. It's still early in the off season process, but ultimately excited about you know what lies ahead in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I don't think Kevin O'Connell was sending a message to Sam Darnold anyway there, but I think it's notable Judy that he brings up Daniel Jones' name. In other words, there's a lot of different scenarios here. I would anticipate their go have a veteran quarterback on the roster. In some regard, what they're focused on is making sure they got the resources, the cat money to build a championship caliber roster around whoever's at the quarterback position. At some point the numbers go so high on Sam Donald, maybe you're better off with a more economical option in Daniel Jones, But they do have the tag at their disposal.
Speaker 2: What do you make it?
Speaker 1: Where the Vikings did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're certainly not willing to tip their hands this early. Like they talked a lot about like it's really early in the process. It's so really it's like, well, not really, if you're gonna use the tag, you got to do that in the next two weeks or so, like, not really that early, But they seem to be working through things. They also bait the point I can't remember if I can't remember who said it, but like they don't want to overweigh what happened in the last two games of.
Speaker 11: The regular season.
Speaker 5: They also don't want to underweigh it, right, I mean they have to, Like, if you're looking at the whole season, how much do you put into what happened in those last two games, which was obviously a tremendous disappointment given how the rest of the season went for Sam Donald?
Speaker 3: Is that the real Sam Donald?
Speaker 11: Is that not the real Sam Donald?
Speaker 1: What would that be?
Speaker 5: And is that somebody they are comfortable going forward with still a lot of moving pieces here.
Speaker 6: The more we start to dig into the quarterback landscape right now, the more I'm getting the vibe of the teams that have a quarterback are looking around at the teams that don't have a quarterback, and how desperate they might be, and how few options there are out there that they go, why would we let a good one out right?
Speaker 1: And why we've got one here?
Speaker 6: And yes, JJ McCarthy is certainly in their long term plans. But we've got a good quarterback who performed last year in Sam Donald. We're not just gonna let him walk out the door like there's gonna be an effort here to resign him or again, Tom as you mentioned, we may have to use the tag that buys us more time to continue negotiating with him or whatever can come off of that. But whether it's Sam Donald or you know, Derek Carr with the Saints or Gino Smith with the Seahawks, these are are the top five quarterbacks that you're going to be set for the next ten.
Speaker 2: To fifteen years with.
Speaker 6: No but they're good quarterbacks and a lot of teams would like to have a good quarterback right now, at least for the short term.
Speaker 3: Well, the Vikings believe they have two, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you look at the landscape of quarterbacks and you just mentioned I think you mentioned all the names. We certainly mentioned all the names in this segment. It seems to me, based on my conversations that in this offseason, of the quarterbacks available, Sam Donald.
Speaker 3: Seems to be the best, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could sort of argue Matthew Stafford, who's a little older, but Donald seems to be the dude.
Speaker 3: The Vikings have him, so if they want to have him be their starter, they can do that. That's not that hard.
Speaker 4: They could tag them, or they could reach a new deal based around the tag.
Speaker 3: If they want to have.
Speaker 4: JJ McCarthy be their starter, they're in an unbelievable position of just being able to hold on to the guy and say you want to get.
Speaker 3: Him, come get him.
Speaker 4: And we haven't seen this a lot, but for the Vikings it's like, you know, we'll talk about, oh, this they had a good free agent and he goes to somewhere else and he signs a lot of money, they get a compic you know, a third rounder in.
Speaker 3: A couple of years. This is like that, but accelerated.
Speaker 4: It's like COMPIC plus plus amazing amazing situations.
Speaker 3: For the Vikings.
Speaker 4: If they're comfortable enough with JJ McCarthy to be their guy, they can just auction off Sam John.
Speaker 3: And go come pay for him.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the fact that you've got one guy in Sam Darnold in terms of the free agent quarterbacks where we would anticipate gets paid. The Steelers have two guys who are going to be in that free agent class, Russell Wilson or Dustin Fields. If they can't get a deal done with either of them, I would anticipate. I said this on Super Bowl Sunday, if the Steelers resigned Wilson or Justin Fields, it's probably a short term deal again, and it's probably while they continue to search for their future quarterback again. But certainly these are guys who are going to have opportunities this year. Well Mark con discussed that when he sat down with Judy a little bit ago.
Speaker 5: Omar, let's start with the big question looming over this offseason. Where do you stand on a quarterback decision for the team?
Speaker 23: Judy, thanks for having me on. You know, it's the question on a lot. I've gotten that question a lot this week so far. Obviously, I'll say this. You know, we went into last year understanding that all three of our quarterbacks were going into last year of their deals, you know, and here we are this year. It was a good experience with all three of those guys. You know, we'd like to you know, in an ideal world, we'd like to have a combination of the three guys back on our roster. But as we stand right now, you know, no one's signed, so all options are on the table. Had conversations with Russ's group and Justin's group, and uh even positive you know, I truly believe both of them would like to to be here, and you know, the conversations continue and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 11: What's your timeline for when you'd like to have that settled?
Speaker 23: You know, it's always you know, always, you know, when you go through this, you always say sooner than later. But the reality is, you know they you know, when we do sign a quarterback or acquire a quarterback, uh, that's going to have an impact on all the other positions. So the sooner we have that decision better.
Speaker 5: It's looking outside the organization for a quarterback free agency trade.
Speaker 11: Is that a possibility preferably?
Speaker 23: We you know, we have the two guys that we had between Russ and Justin. You know, that's our first preference, But the reality is we don't have a guy under contract. So until that happens, you know, all options have to be on the table for us.
Speaker 5: With the way the season ended last year, with the losing streak, the offense obviously stalled. They are towards the end when you look at the off season, what do you think you need to do to get the team back on track.
Speaker 23: No, we we were ten and three at one point, and you know, things didn't go well after that. We lost five straight games, and that's unacceptable. We know that, we own it. We recognize that. You know, we we have to look ourselves in the mirror, all of us, top to bottom, and see how how we can not make the same mistakes we made last year and and just building some of the good things that we have.
Speaker 9: And we're in the process of doing that. You know, we we we.
Speaker 23: Look at how we do things every year, and we're doing that right now.
Speaker 5: It's one of those things, maybe acquiring a few more playmakers for the offense.
Speaker 23: You know, you can always you can't have enough playmakers. So I think that's you know, you guys watched us last year. We obviously need more playmakers.
Speaker 11: George ends you want him their long term.
Speaker 23: I had George and I had a really solid exit meeting after the season, and he he knows our expectations for him, and you know he has expectations for himself. I believe George has a desire to be great and desire to be great as a Steeler.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 23: And you know, we we we we're excited about the future and we'll see where all that goes.
Speaker 5: We're just going to go down the offense. We're just going to go every position group offensive line. It sounds like there's going to be a few position changes on the offensive line. How do you feel about the state of your offensive line right now?
Speaker 23: So we we've obviously invested a lot of draft capital on the offensive line the last couple of years, Judy, and you know, we we feel good about it. You know, a couple of guys are free agents, and you know there's some guys that may have to move positions and adjust to where they played. But you know, excited to have Broderick and you know some of the young guys Broderick and we drafted Spencer Anderson the same draft.
Speaker 9: And you know last year.
Speaker 23: Troy Fatan who got hurt, we were expecting big things that it was unfortunately he got hurt. But he's on the on the right path helping us in twenty twenty five. And Mason McCormick. We took him in the fourth round and can't say enough about Mason. He worked really hard, got better every week and you know, so we feel good about the offensive line.
Speaker 5: Nanjie Harris, what's his future with the Steelers?
Speaker 23: You know, we now have tons of respect for Nauge and what he's done. You know, he's four straight thousand yard seasons and that's hard of doing this league.
Speaker 9: And you know, all options are on the table.
Speaker 23: You know, we're not closing the door in anything, but understand he's a free agent and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 11: That's a big picture.
Speaker 5: It's been a while since the Steelers have made a deep push in the playoffs. Been a while since there's been a Super Bowl appearance for a team that has been turned awful lot of Super Bowls. What do you have to do to get over that hump?
Speaker 9: Well, we have to be self aware. It's disappointing.
Speaker 23: As I mentioned earlier, you know, we have to look every one of us has to look at ourselves in the mirror and revisit everything that we do and how we do it. And it's it's an organizational thing. And but you know, I'm confident that we were reviewing our processes and how we do things and and that we can turn this around and get to where we want to be in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: What convinces you that Mike Tomlin is the guy to do that? Still after all of these years.
Speaker 23: You know, Mike t and I have been together now for eighteen years. You know, I've been in this capacity going to my third draft, and you know, I just see the passion and.
Speaker 9: That he has and he's great to work with.
Speaker 23: And you know, I just I just I love him as a person and a football coach, and I'm excited with the future holds for us.
Speaker 5: And I'll ask you one question about the coming season. You're going to play in Dublin. I know how special that is to the Steelers organization.
Speaker 11: And the Rooney family. Yeah, yeah, how actually looking forward to that.
Speaker 23: You know, Judy, as you know, I had Urt Rooney and Dane have done a great job of getting this game for us in Dublin. And as you know, I had a very close relationship with Ambassador Dan Rooney, and I had the opportunity and the honor to be in Ireland twice while he was ambassador over to visit them. And I got to tell I can't wait. It's gonna be an awesome experience. The people, the countryside, the culture. It's just it's gonna be awesome, and I can't wait.
Speaker 9: I hope, I hope you make that trip over.
Speaker 23: I hope you get on the when you leave the set, Judy has to be there also, not playing a game than.
Speaker 12: You go?
Speaker 1: What chime is any right? There?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 1: The Steelers posting some of their great forty yard dashes through the years. You got Joey Porter Junior there at the bottom right, Ian, can you name anyone else in this photo?
Speaker 17: No? How about bottom left? Come on?
Speaker 1: Bottom left?
Speaker 3: Is your terrible photo of them?
Speaker 17: Left?
Speaker 3: Their faces are all weird. They got no numbers, They got no names.
Speaker 1: Ideal either age. Look at the look at the numbers. The numbers tell you where they are in the alphabet.
Speaker 4: I'm much better when you put a name under it so I could just read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that should be. We don't have room for it on the screen. We don't have him for my fault.
Speaker 6: But have been up and down first season for Kayleb Williams with the Chicago Bears. But the potential is there, the promise is there. And Ryan Poles, the man who's selected Caleb, says that new head coach Ben Johnson, who was certainly highly sought after the last couple of years and decided to take his coaching talents to Chicago, will help take Caleb and the.
Speaker 1: Team to the next level.
Speaker 6: Here is our Tom Pelasero with Ben Johnson earlier today.
Speaker 1: Been about a month on the job. Now, is your brain settled? Have you come out of the whirlwind?
Speaker 5: Just?
Speaker 14: I don't think it's going to settle this year, and that's perfectly fine with me. It's everything I knew I was getting myself into, and I've loved every.
Speaker 2: Step of the way so far.
Speaker 1: How do you navigate that, I shure you walk in the building, there's a million things you want to do from like what's on the walls obviously, your scheme and your culture.
Speaker 14: Where do you start? How do you kind of compartmentally? You start by surrounding yourself with the right people. And that's what I feel like I've done from a coaching staff perspective. Getting Dennis Allen as a defensive coordinator was huge for me because I do want to call plays on offense, and I know that I need a strong presence there on the other side of the ball that has history of producing good defenses.
Speaker 2: And that's what I was able to get.
Speaker 14: And then I've got a great chief of staff here with me too, that's helping navigate some of the pitfalls that could come on a first time head coach as well. So it's things like that that have really added up and made this as seamless as transition as it could be.
Speaker 1: I know, under the rules, you can't coach Caleb Williams as yet, but I know you've talked to him. He was at your introductory press commerce. What's that relationship like in the very.
Speaker 2: Very early show man, I tell you what, He's hungry. He's hungry.
Speaker 14: I'm trying to watch the Super Bowl with my family. I made it back to Detroit just for a weekend, and I'm watching and my phone just keeps buzzing and it's Caleb time and time again.
Speaker 2: You know what's going on here? What do we think? Oh, that was a cool play?
Speaker 14: Things like that, And so I just know this is a hungry individual that he's ready to get this career started of his because he's got a chance to be pretty darn special.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the parts around him again. I know you dug into the tape before you interviewed with the Bears, but just now that you're getting to watch it more and you're thinking about how you're going to utilize these guys, when does it begin?
Speaker 14: Sides Kalb Yeah, I think offensively. Listen, the best thing for Caleb will be to have a strong running game, and so we do want to have more consistent O line play going forward.
Speaker 2: Feels really good about Swifty.
Speaker 14: Have a history with Swifty from Detroit, and I know he had a good year this past year in Chicago, so I look forward to that continuing on. And then the two wideouts are phenomenal players. I'm talking Dj Moore and Rome. I think those two guys have just scratched the surface.
Speaker 2: Of what they're capable of doing.
Speaker 14: And then Cole Comet isn't someone to snuff your eyes at either, because I mean he's he had a down year, but the catch percentage that I think around eighty percent, So he is a security blanket for Caleb.
Speaker 1: So you're in a new market, obviously, in Chicago, you're with an enemy club. Within the division now from where you've been in recent years in Detroit. I did enjoy that you took a small shot at the team that the Bears fans hate more than any others with the Packers here. That's a tough division, though, That's a bunch of really good players, could quarterbacks, good coaches. How do you begin that climb up the mountain knowing that much like it did in Detroit, it might take some time.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it might say it takes some time. But our goal right now is to win and win right away. This is not a in our mind's going to take three years to get this thing going. We want to build around Caleb and we're going to find the right mix of players to come in and help supplement that. And listen, we know it's going to be a challenge. Just this divisions to challenge every division in football. That's the way the National Football League's created is complete parody. Things go in cycles, and so I get fired up thinking about the competition that's already in this division.
Speaker 2: I love sparring.
Speaker 14: With Brian Flores a couple of times a year, you know, I love the thought of going standing on the other sideline of Dan Campbell and yeah, there's a little friendly banter there between myself and coach Laflora, But I have a ton of respect for all those guys and I really look forward to the challenge ahead.
Speaker 1: So when you just think about that city too, how hungry they are for this Bears team to be good. And this is one of the storied franchises in the NFL you're part of. How are they treating you in that city?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 1: Have you kind of gotten a feel for Chicago?
Speaker 14: Not yet, I haven't been outside of the building very much, but a little bit that I have going through the airport or something like that. Yeah, it's been open arms and I think everyone's gotten excitement and a buzz about them right now. And so hopefully, hopefully at some point, once things settled down to have a little spring break or something like that, I can actually experience the city a little bit.
Speaker 1: The last thing for you, we met years ago, and after you got the job, I went to text you and you're still in my phone as Ben Johnson Lions Quality Control. Yeah that's only six years ago, by the way, that's right. How is that guy who was doing the grunt work of drawing the plays and having that role. How does that inform Ben Johnson, head coach of the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, listen, you go from Miami where you climbing, and then all of a sudden you hit bottom again. You got to start all over again. It's resilience. It's everything you talk to the players about. It's resilience, is fighting through fit. You're all right, you hit bottom, you won't dust yourself off, and you keep going again. And and I've always thought, you put your head down, you work hard, good things will eventually come. And unfortunately that's what happened. And and you think the people that helped you along the way. Dan Campbell was did a phenomenal job helping me. And I certainly wouldn't be here right now if I didn't, if you didn't give me the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Ranted Dan earlier today, probably getting like a seventh espresso of the day. Yes, right, have you have you had? Have you talked to him a little bit yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, we talked a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now you're on opposite side. How does that go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's different, it's good, it's good.
Speaker 1: I'm hat before you, man, Thanks time for the time, Thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Ben Johnson Lyons Quality Control and Tom Pellisero USA today.
Speaker 1: That's how I have you in my phone.
Speaker 6: Tom coming up, Miles Garrett once at trade. Andrew Berry is not flinching. They want him back in Cleveland. We talked to Barry. That's coming up next on the.
Speaker 1: Insiders, Deshaun Watson's cylinder contract with the Browns for another two years and ninety two million fully guaranteed. Brown's likely going to get some relief from that in the form of the insurance policy on Watson's contract, with his status for the twenty twenty five season very much up in the air after a second tear of his achilles tendon. One way or another, they are going to need a quarterback, but will they get one with the number two overall pick. Check out some of the mock drafts that are up right now at NFL dot Com. Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks both have the Browns going cam Ward out of Miami at number two overall. Lance zerlines Cynthia Freeland go and ab Duel Carter the edge player Well. Chad Ryder checks in with some love for Travis Hunter. All names you quite possibly here come off the board in the top five Who's Andrew Berry gonna take? He told Mike Garafalo.
Speaker 6: Here at Browns general manager Andrew Berry, and uh, I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I'm not because it was done enough.
Speaker 6: You just did your podium up there and it was done enough and you were asked repeatedly. So I'll say that you said your stance on Miles Garrett has not changed and you're not going to trade them, And it doesn't matter how many teams called, because you're not going to trade them. But I will ask around it, and I will say to you, like how long can.
Speaker 1: This go on?
Speaker 6: Like you know where he stands now, we know where you stand. There's an off season to go through here, Like, how long can you go through before? Hey, look, we've got to come together and figure out a resolution here.
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, Mike, I got mentioned at the at the podium. You know, we have a lot of appreciation for Miles. I've known Miles since he was twenty one years old coming out of Texas A and m He's been a big part of our organization. We think he's the best defensive player in football, and you know, he's an individual that, like you know, we have no interest in no interest in moving. I think we're all frustrated after coming out of last year with just three wins, and you know that's something that we have to work to improve. But you know, imagining Miles is not a member of the round is not something that not a world that we want.
Speaker 13: To live in.
Speaker 6: He's made it clear, and it's not a financial thing.
Speaker 2: It's a competitive thing.
Speaker 6: And yes, last year obviously the record was not when you had money the year before. You wear a playoff team and you still have talent across this roster.
Speaker 2: How do you sell him on that?
Speaker 7: How do you sell other.
Speaker 1: People say, hey, look, this is a competitive team.
Speaker 6: We believe we are in a position to compete in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 24: Yeah, Mike, I'd say, like, you know, our job and our focus is on, you know, making the decisions and doing the right things to get.
Speaker 9: Back to being a lot more competitive than we were last year.
Speaker 24: You know, at the end of the day, you know, having a focus on you know, on selling, you know, that's not the that's not the primary job.
Speaker 9: The focus is on doing.
Speaker 6: You have the quarterback position right now that after the Deshaun Watson re injury, which you said it was a freak thing for how it occurred with him.
Speaker 24: Yeah, so, I mean really it's it was over the course of his his normal rehab, turned his foot ankle, that type of thing. Unfortunate, reinjured, you know, reinjured it.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate.
Speaker 24: But you know he's he's he's back on you know, back on the rehab course, and hopefully we can get help him, get him as healthy as get him healthy as soon as possible.
Speaker 6: And how do you look at that timeline and how does it affect your off season knowing that you're probably gonna have to address the position at least for the start of the season.
Speaker 24: Yeah, so, uh, the timeline is still to be determined. You know, I think, uh, it's it's easy to say that he's going to he's going to miss significant time in twenty twenty five, and you know that's something that we're gonna have to have to deal with and and and we will as we get to the next couple of months.
Speaker 6: And you look at this, because there are veteran options available, do you look at it like, hey, we can get a guy who's a one year fix or maybe more of a long term solution. You're also holding that number two overall pick in the draft. Could there be a long term solution to coincide with him over the last couple of years of his contract here.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I think we're gonna attack the quarterback position with with an open mind and and and really you know, wide open eyes. We are positioned uniquely in the draft with having the the second overall pick, and you know, certainly we will explore the veteran market, but it's going to be a primary focus this offseason. You know, it's the most important position in sports.
Speaker 2: You made a change the offensive coordinator position.
Speaker 6: Kevin Stefanski has also gone a little bit back and forth when it comes to the play calling. But how confident are you in your head coach and his ability to get this offense moving in the right.
Speaker 3: Direction in twenty Fah.
Speaker 24: You know, Kevin's excellent, you know he I think he's one of I think he's one of thirteen coaches since they they made the Coach of the Year award to win it multiple times. And I think he you want, like, I think, the second fastest in the in the word's history. So we have a lot of faith in Kevin. We think he's a very bright offensive mind. He's a good leader. We have all the confidence of the world and how we know.
Speaker 6: What you think of Nick Chubb and what he has meant to you in the organization over the course of their career.
Speaker 1: How confident are.
Speaker 6: You that there is a solution that can keep him in Cleveland and twenty twenty five.
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, Mike, So first of all, we have a tremendous amount of gratitude an appreciation for all Nick that has done for our organization. Really what he's meant for us, you know, in our fan base. You know, anytime a you know, player's contract expires, there always is a level of uncertainty, and that's something that you know, we have to you know, accept and appreciate. You know, we'll work through that situation over the next couple of weeks. But you know, it won't change our affinity for Nick, you know, or the fact that he'll, you know, regardless of what uniform he is wearing, whether it's ours to someone else's, he'll be a lifetime rown.
Speaker 6: Going back to Kevin Stefanski here, not just from an offensive standpoint, but from a culture center and a guy that can run the entire building here, how much do you believe in him? From that aspect and the fact that guys will continue to follow him.
Speaker 24: Yeah, Kevin's an outstanding leader, and I think for him being able to keep the team together when you know, we didn't perform as well as we should have last year, that's no easy feed.
Speaker 2: And I think keV.
Speaker 24: I think guys appreciate Kevin's authenticity, they appreciate his honesty, and they appreciate his competence.
Speaker 9: And so we know we have a really great leader.
Speaker 24: We know we have a great football mind, and you know, we know he can lead us to where we want to go.
Speaker 6: A busy offseason for Browns general manager Andrew Berry, so I'm going to stop cutting into your off season here. Go get out there, go see the guys here, and go do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you money, thanks for stopping by.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: This was news today, and it was good news today for the Kansas City Chiefs. A very strong statement from Brett Veach, the general manager, that Traffis Kelsey is fired up to return in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 11: That should pretty.
Speaker 5: Much end our vigil to see if Traffs was going to retire, so they don't need to worry about replacing the irreplaceable tight end at least this off season. Bretteach sat down with our Tom Pellisaro to talk about Kelsey and more.
Speaker 1: Brett's back at another tombine here. What do you like about coming to Indianapolis for this event?
Speaker 7: Well, it's a fresh start for everyone.
Speaker 25: So we didn't have the ending to our season that we hope for, so this is a chance to kind of put that all behind us and look forward to twenty twenty five on both the pro side and the college side.
Speaker 7: So excited to be here. And obviously they do a great job.
Speaker 25: NFS and the people here, I mean every year I feel like they do better and better and better, and so it's always exciting to come here and have good dialogue with the agents of our players and then get to meet the new prospects coming up.
Speaker 1: It was only sixteen days ago in New Orleans too. You were used to, of course, these quick turnarounds here, but as you kind of got away from the emotion of it a little bit, like what is your thought process about your getting that game, your team and kind of how it ended.
Speaker 25: Well, sure, it takes a few days to flush out of your system, so I mean, look, it was a great season we had when we were fifteen and one, you know, not counting that last game when the Stars didn't play. But yeah, lined up and beat most of the team on our schedule and had a chance to beat a really good use In team and then an excellent Buffalo team, and just picked a bad day to have a bad day. But like anything in life, I mean, you learn more from the losses than the wins, and so we'll take that as a learning experience and use that as motivation to get better and tack the offseason.
Speaker 1: The last time that you lost a playoff game was three years ago. About a month later you traded Tyreek Hill. You used all that cap resources and the extra picks to rebuild your defense. How bold, if it all? Should we anticipate Brettfeach being in this offseason?
Speaker 25: I mean, listen, we'll explore every option there is any chance we have to make our team and our roster better for both the short term and the long term. I mean, we'll certainly explore that. But every year has its unique challenges and this will be no different.
Speaker 1: From hearing you up at the podium. It seems like we're going to get good news on Travis Kelsey. Can we turn off the Twitter alerts? Can we put it the band? Is he definitely playing in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 25: I mean there's been a lot of a lot of the you know, timeline and deadlines, and you know that's something that we as an organization haven't discussed and we anticipate Travis being back and if something changes, I'm sure NFL Network will be the first to break it, right, but we hope.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you can help with that if you want.
Speaker 25: No, I think you know, we're excited to have Travors back and that's how we're operating this offseason and kind of go from there.
Speaker 1: What version of Travis do you feel like you're getting at this stage of his career.
Speaker 25: Well, I mean, listen, I mean he's accomplished everything that there is in this game, and he has that unique ability to not just make those around him better, but you know, find that extra something when you get late into the season and into the when we get on the postseason.
Speaker 7: Obviously, everyone remembers last.
Speaker 25: Year, that big postseason he had, and you know this year, I mean, we're never going to make excuses and talk about it, but I mean he was battling with pretty big illness there for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: But listen, the way the Eagles played, it wouldn't have made a difference.
Speaker 25: But I think that Travis is, uh, you know, excited to come back, and you know, he finds a way to stay in shape and produce at at a level only he can.
Speaker 7: So that is such an intangible to have in.
Speaker 25: The locker room with the guys, and obviously the relationship he has with Pats. You need to so he makes us better when he's in our locker room, on the field, and again, excited to get him back.
Speaker 1: You got a ton of tackle in this offseason. You got a bunch of wide receivers for Fridgs, you got a bunch of free agents in general, Nick Bolton, Tray Smith. You anticipate using a franchise tag anywhere and additionally, then how do you navigate having that many of your guys up.
Speaker 25: Yeah, that's that's the another unique challenge of this offseason. You know, we'll see, you know, in regards to the franchise tag, I do think though that anytime you draft players as you mentioned Trey, like Trey and Bolton, I mean, those are guys who want to keep in the mix for the long term. And the good thing is they are represented by the same agency, so that will be a productive meeting here in the next few days. But I think all bets are on the table, and you know, we'll do what's best for the organization. But needless to say, I think both those guys would be a priority for us.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time, man, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Bet it's new.
Speaker 6: Today Bengals de facto general manager Duke Tobin talking to the media and says we're going to make Jamal A. Chase the highest paid non quarterback in the league, to which Chase and his representatives are surely saying, well, yeah, we were going to do that last year. Now you got to do that by a wide margin, because it could be a game of leap frog this offseason with guys like I don't know, Miles Garrett, Max Crosby, Micah Parsons, those guys in for new deal, So could wind up being a game of leap frog. It's a little complicated, and it's one of many things the Bengals need to figure out this offseason. Our Judy Batiza with Zach Taylor to talk about many of those things.
Speaker 5: That's thanks for being here. When you look back on last season, what were your takeaways from us?
Speaker 26: Disappointed? You know, we didn't start fast enough. Finished there really well, but it was too little, too late. And so we've got to do a better job next season of starting fast, putting ourselves in a position to be in the driver's seat as we go. And obviously our goal is to win the division. Is the best path forward to the super Bowl, and that's our plan for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: All Right, how do you start faster? Because that's been a topic for a few years. How do you you get going?
Speaker 26: There's something we're looking at, revising our whole off season plan, our training camp plan. I know our guys will buy into that, and so there's a lot of things you can factor into it that we're still working through. But we got to start want to not to start the season, you know, put our best forward, build confidence that way, and that way when we're playing good down the stretch, you know, we're playing for significant things down the road.
Speaker 5: How much will it help that Joe will have a full off season of good health and working How much will that help to get things moving?
Speaker 26: That's huge, you know, just for him to feel comfortable I know last season going into training camp there were still things he's working through in the early part of the season. So for him to be one hundred percent healthy going into the off season will be a big step for us.
Speaker 17: He's the leader of our team.
Speaker 26: He's playing at extremely high level last year, and we look forward to starting the season that way with him this year.
Speaker 11: All right, let's go to you.
Speaker 5: Guys have a lot of roster issues this offseason, so let's just go right down the list. Jamar Chase, what are your hopes for contract for him and for having him early and fully in the off season.
Speaker 26: He's worried they have a new deal, and so we're certainly working towards that and optimistic that we'll get that done. But he's done everything he can put himself in a position to earn that, and we want to reward him with that.
Speaker 5: Timing wise, do you want that done earlier rather than later so that there's no chance of him not being there.
Speaker 17: We'll just keep working through it.
Speaker 26: You know, that's one of those off season business deals that you just got to work through with the player of the agent and our front office and got full faith that we're heading in the right direction.
Speaker 17: There, and we'll get one done.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 5: T Higgins could become a free agent, could be franchised tagged. What's your expectation, what's your hope there.
Speaker 26: He's a great player, He's a big reason why we've had the success we've had. We want Tea back and we'll continue to work through that.
Speaker 5: Right, Trey Hendrickson, Let's look to the other side of the ball, same thing. What's your expectation with him?
Speaker 26: We're certainly a better team with Trey on it, you know, and so again working through that with him. I know, we've had a lot of conversations. He's one of my favorite players to deal with. You know, We've had a lot of these conversations over the years, and so again, we're a better team with Trey on it.
Speaker 17: We're working through that.
Speaker 5: Realistic though, Is it realistic to think that you can keep all of it intact?
Speaker 26: That's certainly a possibility. That's your expectation, that's my expectation. Yeah, everybody will be better. We're better with all three of those guys on our team. And so again that's part of the business part as we work through it. It's never perfect, but got a lot of confidence in our people that are on the task and working with those players and their agents to get things done. And that's certainly the direction we want ahead.
Speaker 5: Joe has been outspoken, certainly about since December about his desire to keep the guys intact to see them get paid.
Speaker 11: How has that been received by.
Speaker 5: You and other people in the building that Joe has sort of stepped forward in that way.
Speaker 26: We want a team that's led by our starting quarterback supporting his teammates in the locker room and so that they can see that he's always going to have their back on the field off the field, and so I can't think of a better way for him to express himself that these guys are good players. I want to continue to play with them. Way better than the opposite of that, you know. And so again we have great dialogue with Joe. We're always on the same page talking with him, and you know, he gets on a set and the first question's going to be asked is that. And so he does a great job representing his teammates and fighting for those guys and they put on all hard work and he wants to see them rewarded. And so I like that from our starting quarterback and we'll continue to work through with all those guys.
Speaker 5: All right, you made a change at defensive coordinator. What should we expect changes in what the defense is going to look like this year?
Speaker 26: Well, that was a tough one because Lo's a close friend of mine and gets credit for a lot of the great things we've done. And now Al's in charge, you know, And now you know his last NFL game was a super Bowl, his last college game is a national championship. He's a tremendous leader. He's had success at every different title and stage in his life, and so really excited to get Al back in the building. He's done a great job leading our coaches as we implement the scheme and make all of our hires, and I think the players are going to be excited to be around him as well.
Speaker 5: You have watched other AFC teams go to the Super Bowl since you went there, You've watched other AFC quarterbacks rise up. How does that make you feel when you're watching other AFC teams get.
Speaker 26: We've watched one, you know, and so you know we want to supplant them, certainly.
Speaker 3: That's that's our goal.
Speaker 26: Our goal is to win the division, put ourselves in the best chance to move forward and be in the Super Bowl like the Chiefs have done now for for several years in a row, and so envious of the position they were in this year. Absolutely, we want to do a better job of starting the season fast to put ourselves a position to win the division and get the seating and give ourselves the best chance.
Speaker 17: To go win it all.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 17: Jud appreciate it.
Speaker 6: A lot of questions on the Bengals offseason there from Judy and for the Bengals to answer, But Zach Taylor very pleased that he's got that guy, Joe Burrow as his franchise quarterback.
Speaker 1: Against all odds.
Speaker 6: What are we talking about that has to do with the combine a couple of years back. We'll talk about it when we.
Speaker 1: Come back Oniasiders. Not even five years since Joe Burrow came here to Indianapolis for the NFL scouting Combine where his hands measured in a little bit under the line for what you want them to be. He then this epic tweet considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts. This was early minutes after the hand size measurement came out. Bengals, responding yesterday said who knew tiny hands could hold so much power? A phrase that Ian is used on many indicasion.
Speaker 2: Isn't that right?
Speaker 3: Uh, it's not right. Look at those mini hands, did they yesday?
Speaker 17: I write?
Speaker 3: Yes? Are you sure? Maybe his hands are really that small.
Speaker 4: So one thing we learned about Joe Burrow in that tweet, besides the fact that he's very good at social media, he.
Speaker 3: Does not care. He says what he thinks.
Speaker 4: He's pretty dry and funny and when he speaks we all listen. As I think we've learned during this.
Speaker 3: News cycle, I want to see more of it. I want to see more of that, more hands, so to see.
Speaker 6: More personality from Joe Burrow, more of that stuff. I mean he does it with the with the Harry did at this past training camp.
Speaker 2: Give me, give me some more of that.
Speaker 3: That's funny, funny Joe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he also wears great clothes like he shows us plenty of personality.
Speaker 3: I think it depends, Okay, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow. By the way, Jamar Chamber double checked fashion nine inches was the official hand measurement. Usually you want nine in a quarter or a little bit more. We've seen you know, the Cooper Rushes the world are check in like eight and three quarter. Then watch YouTube video how to roll out there.
Speaker 3: Who was the quarterback who increased his hand size.
Speaker 6: Kenny Pickett when Kenny Kenny had some some small hands too.
Speaker 1: Probably still does or something.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: Hand size doesn't matter. Hold up yours he and we'll see tomorrow. High five Ian, Yes,