Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Davi Cate podcast. Good morning, It's Thursday, the sixth of August. I'm Caroline hepkea in London.
Speaker 3: And I'm Stephen Caroline Brussels. Coming up today, some of the world's biggest hedge funds are targeted in a wave of sophisticated cyber attacks.
Speaker 2: Iran and o'man agree on a proposed route for shipping through this strait of Homuz.
Speaker 3: Plus the Kremlins squeeze. Vladimir Putin exerts growing pressure on Russia's Central Bank as cracks emerged in the country's wartime economy.
Speaker 2: Let's start with a roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 3: Hackers have launched a major cyber campaign against some of Wall Street's biggest money managers. Sources tell us the attacks featured voice phishing known as vishing, to mimic people in calls and messages in an effort to trick employees into revealing sensitive information or granting access to internal say systems. Hima Parmer is one of the reporters who broke the story.
Speaker 4: We're seeing some of the world's biggest hedge funds attacked in this attempt to end We're talking Citadel, Millennium point seventy two, to Sigma, and you know these firms collectively manage hundreds of billions of dollars. We do know that Point seventy two sent a letter to investors telling them that initial indicators were that there were no client information stolen, and then to Sigma also said in a statement that they have no indication of any impact to its systems.
Speaker 3: Our Head Fund Reporterhema Parmer, when asked about Bloomberg's reporting, spokespeople from Millennium point seventy two and Citadel declined to comment. Meanwhile, sources tell us that Wall Street's financial regulator FINRA has been in touch with member firms following the attempted breaches. The campaign is the latest sign that hackers are using increasingly sophisticated techniques to target financial firms.
Speaker 2: Well. Just days after narrowly avoiding the collapse of his hedge fund, Leopold ashen Brenner is back and making bets. Situational Awareness has committed another four hundred million dollars to a privately held company. The move follows the force sale of most of its public stock portfolio to ken Griffin Citadel after a barrage of margin calls. The AI focused firms assets have plunged from forty five billion dollars at the start of July to about ten billion dollars. The turmoil also hit the wider hedge fund industry, with several AI focus firms reporting steep losses in July.
Speaker 3: Iran says that has reached an agreement with Oman on a proposed route for shipping through the Strait of Jamus. A joint statement between the two countries is currently being drafted. According to Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson A smile Baguy, Bloomberg's at Stewart Livingston Wala says this doesn't mean an instant return of traffic through the strait.
Speaker 5: So Iran has made it clear this doesn't mean shipping is about to resume at a normal pace, and it has made this rather ominous remark that that the timing woman, depending on us actions done. Quite what that means, we don't know. Doesn't mean they have to lift the blockade. Does that mean they have to do other things? In otherwise it seems to be conditional. However, relative so let's say three or four days ago Stephaniel, step.
Speaker 3: Forward, Livingston, Wilas Rons. Blomberg's coverage of the Middle East, North Africa and Russia Oil held its lastes after a Run announced the agreement, which it says doesn't involve the United States. While fighting between the two sides as paused for now, there's been no formal agreement to restart negotiations. A number of other issues remain unresolved, including around the nuclear program.
Speaker 2: Now to some breaking news, Germany's commers Bank has reported second quarter earnings and announced plans for a share buyback up to one point two billion euros. Commers Bank's second quarter net interest income came in just below estimates at two point zero six billion euros. Second quarter operating profit was a beat of one point three seven billion euros versus estimates of one point three to two billion, and net income for the second quarter was also a beat at eight hundred and ninety eight million euros. The results come after CEO Bettina Orlop confirmed Commerce Bank will soon hold talks with UniCredit over the Italian lenders takeover approach.
Speaker 3: A drone carrying explosives has been found near a Ukrainian plane at an airport in Germany. Police said the device at Leipzig Airport has been diffused with Germany's Interior Minister Alexander dobrint says it represents a new type of danger.
Speaker 6: Dawn and Sichtungen drone sightings, drone threats, including in a hybrid context as something that we know from the past, and a drone armed with an explosive at an airport is a new threat. Look after Glinda befinded, desist and NOIUSS scenario went just.
Speaker 3: Speaking via translator, the German Interior minister added there will be an investigation and hinted that foreign powers may have been involved. The airport's used by the German Army and NATO allies transport military goods. Western officials have accused Russia and its proxies are staging dozens of attacks and other incidents across Europe since the full scale of invasion of Ukraine began more than four years ago. Russia has denied any involvement in those incidents.
Speaker 2: Finally, FIFA president Johnny Infantino has received internal backing at a crisis meeting in Morocco. Football's governing body said in a statement yesterday that senior staff and attendance at that gathering reaffirmed their full support for his position. The news comes after Infantino's plans to sell profits in the World Cup through a commercial subsidiary drew widespread criticism. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says he no longer supports the FIFA boss.
Speaker 7: The idea that proper governance is not to disclose to your closest advisors, your chief operating officer, your fellow born members, something of consequence that you're even considering, let alone proposing that's fatal should be fatal, and you lose confidence in that individual. They have their own procedures for making those determinations, but certainly I don't have confidence in mister Infantino after this point.
Speaker 2: Canada's Mark Carney, speaking yesterday the country was one of the World Cup hosts over the summer. FIFA said that a letter had been sent to FIFA Council and member associations apologizing for errors and committing to ensure they do not happen again. Infantino is aiming to win a fourth and final term in office at elections to be held in March. Those are our top stories in terms of the markets this morning. So Global stocks have lived after five days a very strong gays your country. World Index today is down two tenths of one percent. You've seen the costs be plunging as much as five and a half percent, currently down about three point eight percent, Hang saying dropping two as notable decline as included the memory maker sand Disk, and of course sk Heinex and Samsung Electronics in South Korea, obviously such dominant stocks in that market. Gold is about ten dollars higher this morning, four thousand children sixty dollars. Europeans stop futures up two tenths of one percent, Deutsche Telecom increasing its share by back news this morning, and oil prices bring CRUD to seventy nine dollars twenty down three tenths of one percent.
Speaker 3: Stephen, In a moment, we'll bring you more on those cyber attacks targeting hedge funds, plus why businesses in Russia are no longer able to keep up with the higher wages driven by the country's wartime economy. But another story that we've been reading this morning, in case you are looking for an incongruous matching of destination and food, ra Avitasin has been writing about the growth and I suppose popularity of gelato in Edinburgh. She starts with the wonderful line Scotland has never followed logic when it comes to food, and goes on to report that despite being one of the coldest capital cities in Europe, Edinburgh has become a hub for gelato, now more than a dozen gelato parlors in the city, partly driven by the number of tourists, of course, that passed through Edinburgh, but also Laura points out that Scotland is a long history with ice cream, dating back to the arrival of Italian immigrants at the start of the twentieth century. Such gelato scene as a natural progression, and local places like Mary's Milk Bar I have given it a Scottish twist. Flavors like fried banana in butter and licorice caramel. Plenty of recommendations to pick up there. I've always wondered why I've had such excellent Italian food in Edinburgh, and now I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I love that well. And also this is the month of the Fringe, isn't it the common massive comedy festival at tracks you know, thousands of tourists. No, I love that idea. I mean there are lots of such a lottery as popping up in London, although I must see the one on my high street. It's just shut down. I'm very sad about. But yeah, how delightful. What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Speaker 3: Sim caw oh, startled caramel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, greatly love it.
Speaker 3: I think it's very exciting. I don't know if I were trying the liquorice caramel version.
Speaker 6: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, in fact, we've tried soy and ketch up ice creams avant garde in London. There you go.
Speaker 3: Very good subjects Mayor is much further discussion, but let's turn back to some of the new stories, even covering this morning and more on that wave of cyber attacks targeting hedge funds. Matthew Thomas lead's our team covering investing in Asia. He joins us now for more on the story. Matthew, what do we know then about these attacks? Who was affected and what information was accessed?
Speaker 8: So we have learnt that some of the biggest hedge funds in the world were targeted and these attacks so names like zero point seventy two, Millennium, Citadel and two Sigma these are the names we know were targeted. Of course, it's possible some smaller hedge funds were also targeted, but at the very least they started with the big fish. VISEA are some of the biggest hedge funds, pod shops and quants in the world. They have the ability at times to move markets, and yeah, this will be causing a lot of alarm, particularly for smaller hedge funds who perhaps don't have the same level of cyber defenses. So what we know about these attacks is, in some ways there it kind of sounds reassuringly old fashioned. What the AI was doing in this case was really picking up the phone and trying to worm its way into getting information. Where it becomes more high tech is it was doing that by impersonating real human beings that work at these companies. So it may have personated impersonated executives after listening to interviews or watching YouTube videos of those guys. It may have impersonated staff on the help desk after making a series of phone calls and recording them, and likely it did both. But you know, whatever approach it took, it attempted through these phone calls to kind of escalate itself up a chain and get some sensitive information. You know, as I say, it's quite an old fashion. This is social engineering, right, People were trying to do this before computers even existed. The difference in this case is when you can automate it, you can do it thousands, tens of thousands of times a day, and your attack surface is absolutely huge because you can target so many different funds at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also that we were worried about the idea of mimicry being so much easier now, but this is perhaps a real life example of that actually happening. And how prepared Matthew, do you think that the industry actually is for attacks like these?
Speaker 8: So, I mean, the good news here is the big funds we know were targeted. It looks like the score is one nil to them so far, right. Zero point seventy Too told investors it was attacked, but it said no client information was stolen. Two Sigma said it thwarted an attempt to access sensitive information. Big funds like these have world class cybersecurity teams, so they will be as prepared as anyone can be at this point. You know, the reality is, with these programs making such historic advances in their ability is always a work in progress, right. There's no kind of static sense in which the firm can be prepared for any level of cyber attack. They're always having to improve and kind of buston up their defenses. But these guys at least will be among the best prepared. As I said a moment ago, it's for smaller funds. They are the guys that will be looking at this story and really starting to worry. A lot of hedge funds have just a handful of people working for them, and if you're running a hedge fund, you're probably spending almost all of your time thinking of trade ideas, right, thinking of arbitrage, thinking of economic data. This is a reminder that the reality is for anyone who wants to set up and manage a hedge fund, there's a lot more you need to do than simply picking stocks to buy. Cybersecurity right now is going to be front and center of how you kind of de risk yourself from some of the stuff that's happening in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a really fascinating story, Matthew, thanks for bringing his details up at Matthew Thomas there, who leads our team covering investing in Asia, stay with us more from Bloomberg Daybreak Europe coming up after this.
Speaker 2: Now, as Russia's full scale invasion of Ukraine extends for a fifth year, Russian businesses can no longer afford to keep pace with the Kremlin's war machine in the wage race. Years of acute labor shortage have pushed salaries well ahead of productivity growth. Now, with the wartime economic boom at an end, businesses are slashing costs. Tony Happen leads Bloomberg's team covering Russia's economy, and he's with us for more. Tony, good to speak to you. What has happened to wages in Russia during the war.
Speaker 1: Well, as you've noted, there's been a wage boom, and that's a spiral that's largely been driven by the huge demand of the military and defense industries for additional people, mainly men. Each month, something like thirty forty thousand people have to be recruited into the army in order to just fight in Ukraine. And then there's defense industries sucking in talent anything from welders to computer programmers, and that's made it very difficult for the civilian industries to compete. So they've had to raise wages, and that was fine while the economy was growing, while there was this war inspired boom as the government spent so much money to support its war in Ukraine. But that's now petered out and they're finding that they can't compete, and the more inefficient businesses are facing a struggle now either to recruit people or to cut back on their production because they can't find the people they need.
Speaker 3: So what's the bigger consequence of that then for Russia's economy. If businesses can't keep up with the wage demands, well.
Speaker 1: It becomes a vicious cycle. Really. I mean, part of the problem, and part of the reason that the Bank of Russia has been high king as interest rates is that the bank was trying to push inefficient businesses basically to become either more efficient or go out of business and let labor transfer to more efficient workers more efficient work. But the government has been subsidizing a lot of industries that they consider to be important, and so that mechanism hasn't been as effective as the Bank of Russia wanted. So you've got high interest rates which make it very difficult for businesses to invest in more efficient productivity, and at the same time, they can't get any more out of their workers. So the medium term perspective for the economy is little if no growth. That's very difficult for Vladimir boosing when he's still spending so much money the war.
Speaker 2: And this is analysis by Bloomberg Economics of what is happening in this wartime economy. And so we are also reporting at the same time that there is fresh pressure from President Putin on Russia's Central Bank governor Alvira and Abulina. This is to cut interest rates.
Speaker 1: Yes, and professionally because of that, so many businesses feel that they're in this vice between low growth and very high interest rates, which make it hard for them to invest and to actually keep servicing their debts. And Putain historically has not put much pressure on the Bank of Russia government via a Nabulina. But what we've reported, what we've noticed is that the most recent decision in July, there was a change of tone. A couple of times before that decision, he was signaling quite clearly that he liked interest rates to be lower, and parlsymakers did cut the base rate by twenty five basis points to fourteen percent, and much of their explanation for that was based on things they hadn't previously relied on. So it seems like too many handless at least, that the bank's somewhat blinked here and that other data like inflation and growth didn't really justify that decision, And so many people are watching to see what they'll do in September at the next meeting, to see there's a similar move.
Speaker 3: Interesting because of course, I Varianableena has been such a kind of important figure in the Russian management of the economy and has you know, attracted a lot of attention because of the changes that she's had to make leading Russia's center bank during this period as well. I mean, is this a change and opinion of her in her position.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got some source report in that indicates that she might have accepted some of the arguments that have been put to her, that the bank can show a bit more flexibility on inflation. It's got a long standing target of four percent, which hasn't it for years, and the arguments that were being put to the bank as well. We're in a wartime situation, the economy is flatlining, you know, pay less attention to inflation for a bit and use rape so that companies can survive. And it was notable that last month the Bank did in fact raise their inflation forecasts from four and a half five and a half to six and seven percent by the end of the year, and that was another signal really I think for many people that this argument of ali need to ease rates was being one despite some of the data which would suggest that it wasn't really justified.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 3: And if one podcast to day is and enough for you, you can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 2: Oh if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio.