Speaker 1: Welcome to Bullyball. I am Rachel Nichols.
Speaker 2: I got the Marcus Cousins as always, and we have a special guest friend. Oh yes, Rajon Rondo is joining us from Kentucky, where You're back as a student, right, is that what's going.
Speaker 3: On with you?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm back in a little Kentucky in my hometown, but I drive twice a week to down.
Speaker 4: In the UK.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? What are you majoring in?
Speaker 5: I'm back in school finishing my degree. I left school so many years ago. Now I'm usually the oldest guy in the class, but nevertheless, get my degree in human communications and just continue to pursue my education to get smart. Every day, I had some idle time, so I wanted to kind of just get back and learn.
Speaker 1: I love this. What are the other students in class think of you being there?
Speaker 5: Some of them could be my kids age, but I know some are you know, eager to see me. And at first it was a little bit annoying. You know, people are taking pictures while I'm in lecture classes and tagging me and kind of you know, being a little bit of distraction. But that's part of it, and I knew going back to campus that it wouldn't be you know, I wouldn't be totally discreet, So I was okay with it. But for the most part, I made it out. I moved pretty quickly, and I go directly to where my classes are probably closest to the buildings, and I get in and out.
Speaker 1: You didn't bring Boogie back with you, But come on, he.
Speaker 4: Lives too far.
Speaker 3: He'll take us.
Speaker 4: I think he's going to shock ro out.
Speaker 3: So you'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's all online, all online. But would you go back and get your degree?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Man, one day, one day, I'm gonna see how it works out with Rondo, pick his brain a little bit about and I see what I can do after that.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're if you're getting an advanced degree in communications, I expect nothing but the best on this podcast today, Dove.
Speaker 1: So we're off and rolling. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk a little bit, just wrap up from the n season tournament that happened last week, because if we look at what the Lakers did in that tournament, guys, Anthony Davis had just a dominant game right there at the final and look he's playing against a team that does not have the greatest interior defense going on. It's going to be a lot different when you've got some of the great bigs of the league that he's going up against in the playoffs. But still, Ron, I wanted to ask you just you know, you're someone both of you guys played with ad.
Speaker 1: You guys know what he's capable of when he is on. What did you see.
Speaker 2: From him though in that game and sort of how can he continue to lock that in going forward? Because that consistency is what we're looking for from him.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean we both know personally, DeMarcus and I what he's capable of, and the world knows as well. But that game in particular, he put the team on his back and took care of business and it was a one game win situation.
Speaker 4: I never doubted.
Speaker 5: I never thought that Lebron wouldn't win it, and he'd be the first to win it. You know, that's how his mindset he is, and pretty much everything he's done in life, he put his mind will, he gets it done. So I'm happy for those guys and Coach Ham as well, Coach Handy.
Speaker 4: They will deserve Oh am, my young guy as.
Speaker 1: What do you think, puck.
Speaker 3: Man, I think Gady he stepped up and did what he had to do.
Speaker 6: You know, he's taking a lot of criticism over the past few seasons after that championship, and you know people are down on him to talk about, you know, his lack of effort and things of that nature. But you know, Ad came out and reminded the world of who he is and how great of a big he is at this game. So you know, obviously, as fans of the game, you want to see this on a consistent basis and on a nightly basis. He's showing that he could still do this at a high level. So you know, whatever it takes to put that fire under him to make him continue to do it on a nightly basis, it needs to be done. But this is the Ad we want to see, you know, from this night moving forward, and obviously he can make it happen and he can do it, so you know, his talent has never been denied. Sometimes you feel like Ad, you know, kind of gets in gets content with you know, playing this team basketball. He's somewhat forgets that he's a superstar and you know, this is what he can do whenever he wonts. So I don't know if it's getting caught up in the emotions or whatever the case may be, but this is the AD that we.
Speaker 3: Want to see.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I'm sure he's hurting the chatter, but I think I think they said that during the game, documented that the day they will give him the ball immediately. You know, they went to him right away and playing with the guy like AD, playing with the guy like Kevin Garnett. You know, it's different personalities, but Kevin would at times, but you know he'll like bring that fucker down here, you know what I mean, He's gonna let me know right away. Playing with eighties more kind of you know, reserved passive in a sense. But when he does get to that start talking shit, you know. I mean, Brian was talking a lot during that game, and she's been miked up. He's been he's been talking and giving this guys confidence and like I said, going through Ady. So I think that's that plays a big part as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean it's funny bring up KG.
Speaker 2: No one had to light a fire under KG right the way book you just said, if this lights a fire under him, that sort of thing I mean again, you guys were you guys played with Anthony, like you know him so well, why don't we get every night him playing the way we all know that he can play.
Speaker 6: Like I said, I just think sometimes he kind of gets caught up in the motions and just kind of becomes content with just playing team basketball.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: You know, obviously that's what from a team standpoint, you want that, Like you want guys to be able to flow, You want everybody to be able to touch the ball, find the rhythm in the game. But it's at certain points where ad we need you to go be a sup superstar. We need you to go out and get forty. We need you to carry the team. We need you to go be the most dominant player on the floor and obviously show that with this end season tournament. But moving forward, we need this on a consistent basis.
Speaker 5: I think my bad, but I think, like I said, I think his guard played for has a difference. You know, look at the road and the season he had with I think Schroder mm hmm. The first show I think got to my departure. So you know, like I said, with Brian forcing the ball to a D like I think that's that's just what the game plan has to be. Whether it's awesome, that's doing it now from here on out, d Lo well Bron, but you know you have to go through ad first. Let him carry you, let him draw the foul, let him destroy the paint, and then everyone else trickle off from there because you know, the game is the pace is so fast. Every want to get their shots and their attempts. But for the most part, I believe it setting the tone through the paint and not allowing him to shoot facing up my bed, Rachel, not allow him to shoot face up jump shots versus you know, put your ass in the post and get to the money, get to the free throw line.
Speaker 2: No, it's just gonna say that he was so dominant, and as you know, I love watching him play when he's on and he's such a great guy. To have him succeed the way he on that stage I thought was so killer and that you know, forty one points, twenty rebounds, five assists, four blacks. That's what the kind of player he can be. And I just I'd love to see it more often when they need him and they've had big, huge games that he has not been able to deliver those kinds of numbers, and then they have games where he does and it's up and down, and you know, I'm I'm interested to see what we go going forward, and we'll see Jean, whether they make any changes before the trade deadline and try to put him get some players who can put him in some of those positions a little more often.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see, all right, guys, Let's talk about the other side a little bit. Tyre's Halliburton great start to the season overall, and showed out so big time in this tournament. I love what we can see from him going forward. Everyone gets it. Everyone knows how good he is, but everyone knowing how good he is is also has repercussions. Right now, everyone's going to be looking out for him in a little bit of a different way. Do you, guys think that this tournament and how he did it's going to change how defenses lock in on him in the coming months or how other players see him.
Speaker 6: I don't think so. I think he's that good. I think he's that talented. I think everything he's displaying and what he displayed throughout this tournament, I think this is him coming out to the world showing him, showing him his.
Speaker 3: Talent is real.
Speaker 6: He's the real deal with this game, and you know, he's putting the league on notice. So regardless of what defense is thrown on him, I think he's going to be able to go out and produce every night and lead his team. And he's shown that so far, so uh well, teams are just absolutely, But will it make a difference. I just don't think so, because his kid is that good.
Speaker 5: I couldn't agree with you more by you know, I think the ward hasn't noticed him because he's played in two small markets Docramento, Indiana, so people an't aware of his game.
Speaker 4: But I think the league been on notice.
Speaker 5: I think he's always been in the scouting port, especially this year in particularly, but again he's he's finding ways to uh count of those attacks and making the league play, making him pay.
Speaker 2: Where would you play though in the point guards right now this season? Is he make your top five for sure?
Speaker 4: Right now? Top five this year? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: I mean just the way he takes care of takes care of the ball. And I think they showed the stat the other day where he had you know, over fifteen assists six plus games and you got the guys some of the greatest guards to play the game still currently playing. You know, it's like three or four guys combined that has to do what he does because he's done.
Speaker 4: In the last five years.
Speaker 2: Well, you got what you got, Luca, Steph. Who else is rounding out your top five shade?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: It has to be in the uh ty rees?
Speaker 3: Uh? And you gotta throw Dean and Fox in there. I think it's yeah, I think it's a young guards league right now.
Speaker 5: It's a young guards league. I mean, man, it's a lot of names we just left out.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you said, but you said this year, this season, Yeah, yeah, this season.
Speaker 6: It is a young guards league right now. We're leaving our Dame, We're leaving our Steph. Uh.
Speaker 1: I put Steph in there.
Speaker 4: I would say, you got tw different who you said who you got Rachel, you got Steph.
Speaker 1: I got Steph, Luca, Shay.
Speaker 2: I'm asking you guys to round up those are those are my three that I would say, like for sure, and then I'm asking you guys to round out the other two.
Speaker 1: But maybe they're not in your top maybe.
Speaker 5: Those because you got you got Tyrese or you got Diarnon Fox, I got.
Speaker 6: Tyrese Haliburton, I got de Aaron Fox, I got Shaye, I got Luca.
Speaker 3: Okay, what that f is? That fit? I mean it has to go to Steph.
Speaker 2: But sadly, I know who is not making your top five and anything right now is Zion Williamson.
Speaker 1: He's struggling a bit again.
Speaker 2: Especially the mid season tournament did not do him a lot of favors. Once they got to the knockout rounds, Shaquille O'Neal had some commentary.
Speaker 1: I want to play you a little bit of this. Guys, take a listen.
Speaker 8: I want to make some points about Zion. Okay, it's not run hard. There's not a this.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be a lesson from one great big man to another guy that could begin does.
Speaker 8: Not run hard. I had the same problem my first over year. I follow was running hard. Charles talk about this all the time.
Speaker 7: My timely gonna get me twenty, But when I start going to twenty, thirty and forty, it's because I start doing certain things. He doesn't create easy points for uself. I saw a couple of times we had a couple guys at the basket. If he don't seeal right, he doesn't demand the ball like he got a small guy and we talk about all the top barbecue chick alert, Charles talk about all the time, you can't let a little guy guard you. And he doesn't have that look. Like I'm not the greatest athlete ever, but I know a look when I see it in every sport.
Speaker 8: I know a look.
Speaker 7: Tiger Woods had that look. Jack Nicholson had that look. You know what I'm saying, Like, he just doesn't have that look, and he doesn't rebound. He does not rebound. I'm sitting there and I'm watching because you know, Charles was on him, because you know that's Charles's category. I don't want to be on that are but he's not what you're saying this also because he could be the he could be the best player in the.
Speaker 8: Elite in the league, in the league, yes.
Speaker 7: And at the best player in the league.
Speaker 8: Again, I was just like him. So I don't want to sit up here, you know, like I was just like that.
Speaker 7: But you know, people used to like pull me to the side, you know how a guy named Brad Seischer who used to always say, hey, man, okay, you have twenty four points because you know that working as hard and I'm like, what are you talking about that? So once he decided to get that killer and go for it, he's going to.
Speaker 8: Be a dangerous one.
Speaker 2: So guys, look, it's not just the guys on TNT. It's not Shack. Although that was pretty damn and coming from him. The New Orleans Times PECUN put out an article just after that saying that basically Zion has not been working on his conditioning or wait the way that they expect to in the organization, and that he just won't listen to people when they try to get him on the right track.
Speaker 1: What do you take away from all that?
Speaker 2: But when you hear that as a big man, what do you take when you hear all of this criticism of Zion and also what you saw last week in Las Vegas.
Speaker 6: It's a lot of things I could say that you know plays a part in this, But the biggest thing I would say is, you know the leadership within the locker room and the reason I say that to piggyback off Shaquille O'Neil, and I was also a guy that was in that position coming in earlier. I didn't take care of my body the way I should have. I didn't eat the way I was supposed to, and I dominated off of just pure talent, and it's Madi ironic he's on that show today with Rondo.
Speaker 3: But I didn't really take that jump.
Speaker 6: To that next level until I got a vet that could be in my ear constantly and always be on my ass and always have me, you know, putting in the extra work, doing the small detailed things that go behind the scenes, that you know, the casual fan doesn't get to see. On a neither basis, taking care of your body, eating the correct way, getting you know, getting the correct rest, watching film, putting in the extra work, getting being the first guy in, the last guy out, like putting up extra shots. Even after the games, you want to put up shots. So all these small things, you know, build you to that next level. So so yeah, Zion is getting a boy with talent right now, but it's time to take that extra jump, the extra stuff and actually start putting then the right things to to become that superstar leaders team to the new heights. So on one end, it's it's it's leadership, and on the other end, it's this is on Zion, When when when are you going to try to take that John? When are you going to hold yourself account But when are you going to start self reflecting and realizing you know you're not putting the putting the right things in the play to become the best player that you can be. So this is on Zion and this is also on management. I spoke on this last week. It's time to put the right pieces around him. If he's a defensive liability, you have to put the right pieces around him. If you know he's struggling with you know, listening and having that that voice to you know, right hit ship, put the pieces in in place to surround them. This is a huge investment, not only in the NBA but for the new or Repelicans. And with each investment you have to put the right things in place to make sure this investment it comes out on a positive note.
Speaker 1: So a Reddick in there with him that didn't work. That puts TJ. McCollum in there with him, who I think is a great voice, Lucky.
Speaker 3: It has to be relatable.
Speaker 5: It has being That's what it is like. It has to has It can be just a name in a sense, it has to be someone that particular player respects. Uh, someone that particular player. Can you know, look for guidance even on and off the court, you know, maybe on some big brother type of thing, because like for me, I was fortunate to have a guy like Kevin Garnett, and you know it's only right, you know, full store got paid my respects and back to the game by doing what I could for the young guys that I felt that were related to me, that were misunderstood that you know, may have got a different rep versus when I really get a hold to him, we changed the narrative, you know, when our mindset, My mindset shifted, so I couldn't agree with cous Moore. I think for me, it's accountability starting from the top allowed him to the way Shock broke broke his game down. I mean, you can't really argue with what Shaq's saying. All the things that he should be able to do, he's not doing but for me, until someone pushes him, until he pushes himself on a consistent basis, and there may be consequences if he doesn't, you know, then I think we won't see that Zion until we have those things in place.
Speaker 2: What are some of those conversations you guys said, I mean, did you have them with each other.
Speaker 4: I mean for me what I love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course we had a lot of conversations, a lot of you know, we almost got into a bunch of a couple of fights throughout the season.
Speaker 4: Tell me, I meanus got he probably got the story. But for me keep it, not to keep it, you know. Uh, can we cussle the show?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course?
Speaker 4: Okay, as you on.
Speaker 5: Yeah here, Cousin, I had some crazy, you know situations in practice my Sacramento years, but it was, like I said, it was all love and fun and I understood, you know, his his his rage, his his passion for the game and the way he thought that he was doing something versus when I watched film because Cousins one of the first guys when I got the Sacramento because it was nothing to do there. But I did have one of my best years statistically, I think he had his as well. Yeah, but what I love to do was watch them on my game and then I will go back and study pretty much everything that he did throughout the game the same night. So it may take me far out to watch them, but you know, I would have a glass of wine, glass of gas, and you know, like I said, to break his game down.
Speaker 4: It was fun to watch him.
Speaker 5: And then, like I said, when I go into practice the next day, I would have, you know, my little note, so I would say to him, you know, he didn't do this this, you could have di better. I seen that elbow, you know what, they didn't call it. I mean, it was all type of little things I would pick up and watch him, try to help him get to that next level. And I don't know if anybody's ever done that with him, as far as breaking his game down and challenge him to, you know, okay, run the floor a little bit harder with this play. You could have got you know, four points, you should get the preter line six, you know, six times a quarter like this kind of breaking the game down, trying to make it easy for him and but also make it easy for myself. So that plays a big part. And designed I don't think he had that. He hasn't had that type of player in his locker room form.
Speaker 1: But what'd you think when Jeanne started doing that with you?
Speaker 6: It was annoying and ship, but at the end of the day, the results, Yeah, the results were exactly what we've been looking for. And the more and more I seen those results. The more and more I realized, like everything he's saying to me is only helping me and his team, you know, become better. So you know, at the end of the day, obviously this guy has my respect to the ultimate level and he's helped my career in so many different ways. So obviously it was it was everything I needed. And that's why I could sit here and speak on Zion and his situation because it's it's so famil and I've seen this before. So all it takes is that that right leader, that that that right bet to get in your ear and you know, steer that ship the right way. And this falls on the New Orleans Pelicans organization. You have to figure out what that guy is. You have to and you have to invest in having that piece come in so your initial investment designed could be successful in every way possible moving forward.
Speaker 2: All right, Doe wasn't doesn't want to tell stories on you, but I want you to tell one on yourself.
Speaker 1: Give me an example.
Speaker 3: I want to know it's been. It was a few practice, just briefly, it was a few practices, you know.
Speaker 6: Where you know, Rondo threw a couple of hill bows. He probably knocked out a tooth of mine here and there. Oh really, Yeah, he's a little bully, so him being on bullets all the day fits perfectly.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: How hard was it to get, like to eat the way you should You said at the beginning, you didn't take care of your body the way you should have. And again that's something that just came out in the local paper down there in New Orleans that they're just you know, he came into design, came into the season actually in really good shape, and then since then that he's been up and down a little bit, you can see that he wasn't in great conditioning again last week in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: How hard was that for you? Did it take you to figure that out?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: The only reason I would say it's hard because you don't realize as a young player coming in when you're when you're young and youthful, like you can literally roll out of bed and go dunk the ball, like you can eat Matt Donald's before the game, you can eat Krispy Kreme donuts and all these type of things and it doesn't really have an effect on it. It's not until you start hitting that age of twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven, you might eat that bullshit and you're like, damn, my stomach gonna feel right, first play, first possession of the game. So it's you have to realize with with Zion coming in, he was a young kid, and with young kids, we all have bad habits.
Speaker 3: We all have bad eating habits.
Speaker 6: We eat chicken, chicken, fingers, sugar, just bullshit constantly throughout the day. And you know, when you're young, it flows through and it's fine. But like I said, Zion's now coming to that age where it's you know, the milkshake is starting to stick, starting to stick. You can see the little love handles through the jersey a little bit, you know what I mean. So all it's just realizing, like man, it's that time in my career where I have to make these changes if I want longevity in his career and I want to maximize, you.
Speaker 3: Know, a full career.
Speaker 6: So and like I said, also having that better and it'll help you realize that and you know, things start to come full circle. So it's about self reflection and accountability on this organization to make this or to write this ship. So it's very possible. It's just about going on and doing well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it'd be interesting.
Speaker 2: I said, they brought in bets, maybe the right one hasn't clicked with him.
Speaker 1: It's no secret. It's not that they're trying. They're in no way.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be clear. They are not trying to trade Zion Williamson. But he has not been off limits. Like if you want to call and ask about him, you can call and ask about him. It'll be interesting to see if any team wants to think that maybe a change of pace or a change of scenery will help down the road. I don't know, but obviously that team is not going to be as successful as they want until Zion Williamson can be the player we know he can be. And I'm interested to see if that nowational attention he got this past week helps.
Speaker 4: What is the player that we think he can be? Like, I mean, what has.
Speaker 2: He I mean, he's so talented. He could get a little bit more engaged on defense. I think that could significantly help. I mean, he's just not putting forth the effort. I thought what Jack said about him not making easy plays for himself, it is true.
Speaker 1: He's not helping his teammates out on the floor.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of good breakdowns out there right now, Zion, Who's just he's not He's not closing the way he needs to.
Speaker 1: He's just not doing a lot of the things that would.
Speaker 2: Help help players on teammates on his team execute what they need to execute. And if he can pull the rope more in all of those places, I think the whole team could get you know, the level of the team could rise up.
Speaker 4: But I think just you have to train that way as well.
Speaker 5: I mean, you can't just say I'm gonna do this, But if you don't train that way, you know you're going to look bad when you try to go out there and have that type of effort, and you'll show your lack of condition.
Speaker 2: I want to move on, guys, because I want to talk about the Suns a little bit. Bradley Beal is finally coming back on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: That's the schedule.
Speaker 2: Sons are actually only twelve and ten so far the seas in seventh in the West. But part of that is because Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, and KD have yet to play a single game together.
Speaker 1: So so what do you think is going to make the difference.
Speaker 2: How is Bradley Beal going to help lift this team up if he is able to come back as healthy as we hope and expect, and we.
Speaker 5: All know what he brings to the table. Obviously he's scored a ball at ease with the best of you know in the league. So being able to share the ball a bit more amongst Katie and book letting guys sleet off of him, he can run the pointy of times. He plays unselfishly when he wants, and I think, you know, if him buying into Frank Voger system, which I believe KTI has already defensively, I think they'll continue to elevate and be a lot better than obviously twelve and ten in the next twenty two games.
Speaker 6: The piggyback off Rondo, I think he just eases the pressure of the two stars. And you know, with any team you would you would love that. So regardless of who's being the ball handler, which he does, add that as well, an extra ball handler to this group with so whoever decides to beat the ball handler, you got two monsters coming out pen downs on both wings. So with any opposed team, it's on a nightly basis, just pick your poison. So yeah, I mean that's that's a great way to go into any game where it could be any guys night. You got three guys capable of getting you thirty to forty points every night. So the Suns are in a good place. But my question is, and this question is specifically for those with them, not you being a traditional point guard, and you looking at this team and noticing.
Speaker 3: That they don't have a traditional point guard.
Speaker 6: What's your whole take with that being a lack on their team's.
Speaker 5: As far as when things get tough, you know, when they when they hit adversity. You know, in the playoff game, they might be down you know, two or you know, it's a different type of scheme. Who's going to be able to manage egos? You know, coach can do it from a sideline standpoint. But during the game, you know, when Katie hasn't had the ball four possessions in a row, who knows that. You know, who's gonna say, okay, hold on, you hold on with this time? Bill, I know you made two shots and roll, but katie't to test the ball. We need to get him in the rhythm to flow. So, uh, that's my only concern with that not having a traditional point guard but at the same time, I think these the way the game is going books, you know, I think he's up and willing if they can off put their egos uh aside and figure out you know, I think book can be that kind of point guard going to the point guard roll. He's averaging eight assist a game, but just him not and not necessarily it is passing the ball, but understanding how to break the game down, keeping guys happy, you know, keeping yourself available and is a threat. And then also the role players, you know, cause that what we've seen to where we've had the big threes before and the three you know, scoring champs, you know, with guys like that in Brooklyn, you know, James and Kyrie and Katy. But you know, if those role players on step up and make make a change and make a difference three offense, juggernis won't make it work, won't won't make it happen and get it done.
Speaker 4: To play else.
Speaker 1: I think Booker's been really good in that role.
Speaker 2: I've been actually surprised, pleasantly surprised, like wow, I didn't know if he could. You know, it's a lot, I mean, it's a really hard job, and I wasn't sure if he could add that to the other really hard job he is doing out on the court. I do think it is a great point, though, is that you're not tested in a playoff situation yet, so we haven't seen what he can do when you're in that kind of pressure and that kind of stuff going on and that level of everything else in the building around you going up and can you also add that second job to your regular job. But I feel better about this team doing it than some other teams. Like we saw with the Clippers, man like they needed a traditional point guard. They needed someone who understood how to play that role. And the fact that that's why you know James Harden. I don't know how it's going to work out. I don't know how overall that team is going to do when we're all said and done at the end of the season. But I will defend that trade because they needed someone in that role. The other guys on the team were not able to do that, and they needed someone to organize them in that way. I feel like with the Suns were maybe seeing that they're okay without it. I thought your point about Frank Vogel is really good. You played for him. You want title with him, Like, what do you think he is going to be able to do to help these guys in this situation?
Speaker 4: Lean on the staff.
Speaker 5: I think he also has a great staff that he brung along with him in Phoenix. Leaning on his his his background. You know he's had Lebron as well for a player understanding you know what I'm saying, get those guys are buying and how we made it work in the bubble, not necessarily saying somebody's gonna have to come out the bench one of those guys, but at the same time, just figuring out staggering minutes to where we do have a decent guard on the court that's making the right place and right moments down the stretch of the games. I'm interested in how they buy into his defensive schemes. That's one thing that I commend frank on is his thinking, his defensive mindset, the way he thinks the game, way he's made adjustments throughout games when I played for him. So if they can bind into that with the switching defenses and communicating, communicating at at a high level, I think they'll do pretty good in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: That team has so much potential It's going to be interesting to see now that they're all playing together. Hopefully they all stay healthy. We'll see what happens. All right, We got to move on to our DraftKings segment. We're introducing something this week called I'll Take that Bet and this is presented by DraftKings and Jahn Morant is coming back, guys, So I thought this was the perfect opportunity to talk about this. He's twenty one games into his twenty five game suspension. The Grizzlies are hoping by next week could be back in the fold and they can start to put him on the court. They're six and fifteen on the year, thirteenth place in the conference. Do you think John Morant can turn this team back into a playoff contender?
Speaker 1: And here are the.
Speaker 2: Odds plus six hundred to make the playoffs, minus nine hundred to miss the playoffs. So Vegas views the Grizzlies as a long shot to make the playoffs. Boogie, would you take that bet? Put down one hundred bucks. If they make it, you get six hundred back. But Vegas doesn't think that they'll be having to pay you that money.
Speaker 6: I'll take that bet. Do I think there will be a playoff team. No, but I definitely think there'll be a team.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not taking the bat.
Speaker 3: I think they will be a team that can make the play in.
Speaker 2: And that friend, it's not top seven point guard's top five point guards.
Speaker 1: It's not make the play it it's making the playoffs.
Speaker 4: But if they make their playing they didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I mean, i mean, look, that's what he did. But I'm just saying, but.
Speaker 2: Do you think when we're done with the player to get to eight versus one they will be there?
Speaker 6: No, they won't, But I do think this team will make the play in and whoever they facing the playing tournament is definitely going to be a threat for that defended team. So I wouldn't want to see this team with John Morant at any point in the year. So John Moran is that talented, regardless all the noise you know around his name and the mistakes and the childish behavior like that's that's that's whatever, speaking on his talent, he's that good.
Speaker 3: He and carry this team.
Speaker 6: He'll make the guys around him better and they'll definitely be a threat. Once they make the plan. I believe they'll be in the plane. So they'll become a threat in the playing tournament. Whoever's facing them definitely has problems on the hand.
Speaker 3: So no, I don't think there'll be a playoff team, so I don't take the bet.
Speaker 6: But yes, they'll be in the plan, and I bet my money from that point moving forward.
Speaker 5: What about you again, I'm gonna take the bet.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm taking the bet. I mean I liked you know, I think he's coming back with vengeance.
Speaker 5: I think he's has a lot to prove and I know he's working, so he got the bet down there, d Rose. That's you know, eager to have him back, I'm sure. And then, like I said, Marcus smartest, I didn't know, don't know, worry how he ended up at it, but he's I'm sure he's waiting for him to come saved day as well, So there's a lot of hope come back to these when Jah gets back, and I think he's going to turn it around, like they get the fan base behind him. I think they'd be extremely tough to beat at home from that point on. But I'm a better I'm again I'll take that bet.
Speaker 2: I think it's an attractive bet only in that there are only five games out of a playoff spot. It's only December that with the suspension being what it was, and now this is, you know, going back to last year, twenty five games is not that much of the season.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get that it's a chunk and it gets you off to a bad start and all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: But they have plenty of time to recover, so.
Speaker 2: I expect him to see a little bit to shake the rust off. I don't think it's going to happen, you know, overnight, but I'm I feel like, you know, Rajehan, you've got the smart money there.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens. We'll see, we'll come back to it at the end of the year, see if that was a good bet to take. I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right, I got to get to set a reminder because we've got good games going on this weekend. All right, I'm going to read out some of the games. Y'all tell me what you think is the game you want to watch? What is your game of the week. So Tuesday we got Lakers at MAVs, Warriors at Suns, and that there's going to be Bradley Beale coming back on that game, Pacers at But on Wednesday. That is of course going to be a little rematch of what happened in the n season tournament. And the reason that one is exciting to me is because mister Haliburton, well the same time celebration, you know that Damian Lillard is going to have some attention on that in Wednesday's game.
Speaker 1: And you guys didn't put Dame in your top five point guards.
Speaker 2: But I you know, I know that he is still adjusting to being amos.
Speaker 3: I no, no, no, no, no, no, just to see.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. I know he's still adjusting.
Speaker 2: This is my sentence that I know he's still adjusting to be in Milwaukee. So I get why he didn't make your list yet, but I will say he is still as dangerous as motherfucker as ever, and that you know, I'm interested to see what kind of revenge he has gone in this game or if the Pacers who showed out and they beat them can do it again. So I think that's gonna be juicy. You've got the Wolves at the Mavericks again, more Luca time, and the Timberwolves have been on fire so far in this young season. Thunder at Kings, that's an attractive young player matchup, and on Friday, you've got the Magic at the Celtics. Orlando has won its last four against Boston and in general is tearing it up.
Speaker 1: So far in this young season. So a lot of good games going on.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, which one is the one that fascinates me the most because I like the drama. Y'all know I like the drama, and we got drama potentially on Wednesday. But what do you guys think, what's your favorite one book of this week?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the thunder Kings game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, we were talking about the top five pgs in the league right now, and that's two of them right there, and Shay and Darren Fox. So I'm excited for that matchup, two young teams, you know, figuring it out, both top well potentially top of the West teams, and you know, I think that'll be a great matchup for the fans.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for that out.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for all of them. I think I played for them. All the team is on the list here.
Speaker 5: But like you're said, Rachel with yeah, the Dame Time bang, that's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 4: I want to see how the Wolf's play.
Speaker 5: I've been I've been watching young Anthony Edwards a lot this year, the way he's able to leave that team, and you know, like I said, buying into everyone's role. Mike Conley running the show, so it's it'll be interesting. And obviously I'm always watching the Lakers and Celtics, so I'm busy all week watching here.
Speaker 1: Mat and classes of Kentucky.
Speaker 5: We're you know, I got I got finals Tuesday on them out, so I got a month break watch basketball.
Speaker 1: Right there we go, all right, doom scroll.
Speaker 2: So this is where we kind of look at some of the social media hits of the week, see what's popping and what's going on. I've been getting a ton of attention this week. Is our own teammates here on show basketball, Uh, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, you know them.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They did a live string live stream during the n season tournament final and one topic was if Lebron is currently a top five player in the league this season.
Speaker 1: So this goes into back to our point.
Speaker 2: Our discussion is he's obviously top five of all time. That's not the conversation right now this season. Is he a top five player in the league at age nearly thirty nine.
Speaker 1: I think his birthday is two weeks from now. I got very heated between Kevin and the truth.
Speaker 2: I want you guys to take a listen to what your former teammates though, I had to say.
Speaker 9: Is he talk five in the league?
Speaker 4: Still Lebron?
Speaker 7: Hell?
Speaker 8: This was Megan?
Speaker 10: What Brownnie? Top five in the league? Name father players, Bett and Brown? Right now that you're picking Luca dockets the joker, m b oh, I'm not picking none of these niggas, and shut up. I love that I saw motherfuckers. Please start with this non that was impressive. Saw joege have fifteen points in the final.
Speaker 9: Game out here, bro right out that you're talking about nigga like you don't need no basketball, right Nigga, Lucas you got a bitch, no motherfucker final?
Speaker 10: Okay, Doc talking hard on Luca. Bro, Come Kate, you talk in that goofy ship. You're talking to Bron Nigga sixty to sixty sixty six thousand minutes, nigga, respect lord Nigga thirty eight doing it. Fuck as you talking to those guys are greater than biggas cupcakes when they come to Bron, I'm talking about cups saying top by today, Nigga, I'm talking about today. We're not talking about body of work as you're talking.
Speaker 8: About then cupcake. Fuck, you're talking about motherfucking.
Speaker 10: B had fifteen points in the in the in the game seven.
Speaker 8: Ship big the fuck out here, Bron.
Speaker 10: Nigga are putting none of the niggas in front of Bron Jordan.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what I.
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Ain't no bro fan nigga.
Speaker 10: Secondly, no, I'm calling it a spade a spade. This is straight space ah spade fucking you're talking about. He's a spade. We ain't never seen no nigga have thirty nine. Get this man on Lebron.
Speaker 2: Jersey you can put Remember when you asked if we could curse on this show?
Speaker 1: I think you got your answer all right.
Speaker 2: So as you said, this is every day between the two of them. But now that you've gotten to see what their argument was, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Though? Where are you on this? Which which of your former teammates are you sided with?
Speaker 5: He just proved it. He's tough five. He just put his mind on something. Who's the first, Who's the first champion? The end season tournament. Brian, it's short, tip five.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think Pete just wanted to argue the like they love to argue with each other.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you know that.
Speaker 6: You know I'm another guy that likes to argue. But I'm gonna go with Paul on this.
Speaker 4: You sipping to man, it's early out there. How you how you look like that already?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm ask sure or not. As soon as we get done with this, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 4: But he just woned. He was one of season tournament.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 6: I'm not taking away from any legend that this guy has done throughout his career.
Speaker 3: I'm not. He's legendary.
Speaker 4: They win seven and they went seven and old. When it was time to win, he hit the button and they won. What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Where are they right now to the west? Where are they right now in the West? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Like I said, listen, I played on veteran teams like it ain't you know? When we hit the button, we hit the button. So we're trying to get.
Speaker 3: On the team. It's two veterans.
Speaker 4: What's that mean? What you're saying?
Speaker 3: This isn't a veteran team, it's two Vets.
Speaker 6: Everybody else's babies, it's it's two.
Speaker 1: Nicole. Is in your top five right now?
Speaker 6: Yes, Janna, Yes, Jannis Luca Nicola uh MB has to be in there. He just had fifty to other And I know we're talking about, you know what he did last year. We're talking about right now, top five right now, we're not talking about the previously. Yeah, all those things can be brought up when it talks when we start talking about, you know, an overall career, all those things can be brought up. But when it comes to top five right now in the NBA, Lebron isn't And that's okay. He's thirty eight, thirty nine years old. He isn't supposed to be the fact that he's still even flirting in the conversation more credit to Lebron. But as of right now, he's just not top five, And that's okay. It's not a nott to him, it's just not.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's closer to top five now than he was last season. Like that's what'sing to me.
Speaker 5: If it was one game, who had to win the game, who going win the game? Anybody in the league.
Speaker 6: I'm going with Lebron, but that's not what this conversation is. We're talking about top five in the league, So I'm talking about, like, well, what else, what else determined league's top five?
Speaker 3: What else determines staff and right now?
Speaker 6: Statistically, team wise or individual wise, Lebron.
Speaker 3: They just want a team.
Speaker 4: They just want a team. Congratulations, he was trying to win the tournament.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 6: I'm not taking out away from him that that that alone. Well, if that's the case, eight, he's top five.
Speaker 3: Right now too, then right, no, he ain't top five right now? Wow, he had forty and twenty. He just wanted to see the tournament. That's the point I'm making.
Speaker 5: That doesn't matter the seven games, seven and zero. Lebron is the court. It's the reason why they want seven win when it had to win to count.
Speaker 4: I'm not just when things matter, he hit the button.
Speaker 3: And that's a different conversation when it started.
Speaker 6: When we start talking about when things matter, Lebron's going to be the first guy bring up as of right this season though this season, see, I think.
Speaker 2: What he's done this season, as I said, like last season, I don't think he quite had what he has this season. Which is crazy, by the way, about someone who's this age, but he's gotten them, you know, out of games that they had no business sort of struggling in. He's the one who's putting in forty minutes, right, all this stuff, He's put in all these points. He's the one who's been the backbone of the team. Ad has had a very up and down season already and Lebron has been consistent and been there and then Yeah, I think this tournament was a great showcase for him because it showed what those saying is that when he wants to do something, he can still.
Speaker 1: Go out and do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would put him in that category this season, which is funny because I wouldn't have said he's been there the whole way through the last couple of years, but this season he showed out so far.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, but it's it's you gotta what you you only five, there's only five slots. It does get tough there because there's other guys.
Speaker 11: I'm putting Lebron at six, So you said, Luca and be.
Speaker 1: What do you guys put.
Speaker 3: Mb Yannis and shame you still got to bring in Dean Fox.
Speaker 1: Fox over Lebron this season. I think Darren's been great, but come on, I mean.
Speaker 6: Guys averaging thirty and six, we just can't overlook them.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 4: I mean again, these numbers, the numbers are continue to inflict. Though It's not like.
Speaker 3: I'm not disagreeing the numbers in the league.
Speaker 4: Teams are averaging one hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 6: I mean, you still get numbers like humans line numbers don't.
Speaker 5: I get it, but the game and the game has changed for that.
Speaker 6: But right now, in the current state that we're in, we have to get those guys their credit.
Speaker 1: Like everyone's numbers are inflated.
Speaker 2: Like I think part of it, when you say, what is it beyond the number is part of its heart, right, Like part of it is are you the heart of.
Speaker 1: Your team that is making that team go?
Speaker 2: And that's what part of makes you valuable, And it's part of this conversation of who's the top guys in the league this season? It is beyond numbers for me, But I do think it's heavy. He's right there as heavy. It's a very debatable point because you do.
Speaker 6: Everybody we've named in the top fives, everybody we've named in the top five is winning games. So I just don't see how we can overlook that either. Yeah, Lebron won that, but if it's about him winning the D season tournament, then eighty has to be in the top five as well because he went seven and one or seven and though just like Lebron did, that's all I'm saying. Like, if it's based off just the end season, then yeah, Lebron's top five number one, and then ad is number two.
Speaker 3: But that's not the case. That's not the case. That's not the case. Brothers. I just I can't go with that. That's that's not a good enough wreath.
Speaker 6: Where are the Lakers right now in the West Western stands?
Speaker 3: And that has to mean something.
Speaker 1: I got to give an update. This story is crazy.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you've heard this story, but the nuts boy and I were talking about this a couple of weeks ago. So, speaking of Shay Sga bought a house, his dream house outside of Toronto, and he ended up having to sue the people who sold it to him because he did not know that prior to him living in the house, a guy who had dubbed himself the Crypto King had lived in that house.
Speaker 1: And some bad things happen. So here's the story.
Speaker 2: In May, he buys his dream house for six million dollars. Two days after he buys the house, moves in. Menacing visitors start showing up at the house looking for the previous tenant. This guy owed more than twenty five million dollars to one hundred and fifty different people, and apparently these people who were coming to the house looking for this guy were not playing around. Earlier in the year, another group of people came to the house look for the guy, found him there, kidnapped him, beat the shit out of him completely, like rearranged his face, finally released him, and now they were coming back.
Speaker 1: And instead of this guy.
Speaker 2: Being at the door, Shay and his you know, people in his family are at the door. And they basically were just like, yeah, we got to get out of here. So like within two days they abandoned the dream house that they were going to live the rest of their lives in. They tried to reverse the sale. They had to take these guys to court, and I'm here to give you the update that they won the lawsuit. So Boog, you can rest assured Shae does not have to live in the house with the guys looking for him.
Speaker 1: Rearranged the fit. But can you imagine dealing with all that.
Speaker 4: That's a wild story. I'm fortunate.
Speaker 5: I'm glad he got his money back. He won't assu so he's out of it. Has an effect on the season, be.
Speaker 4: Playing some me.
Speaker 1: So you're in a new house, no menacing visitors coming to you.
Speaker 4: No, not right now. I'm trying to say, ilf degree here.
Speaker 1: That's good. He's like, don't blow up by spot Rachel.
Speaker 4: No previous owners here, no previous owners.
Speaker 1: No previous owners. There you go.
Speaker 2: That's how you know your fancy when you build from scratch. So we'll just leave that there. Hey y'all, Rajeon, thank you so much for joining us. I love it when the two of you get together, makes my whole day always great to hear. Your insight on the game is unparalleled as always. Good luck on those finals. And I will be of no help to you whatsoever.
Speaker 1: But you know we're looking for you, and that's what's important.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Everyone out there.
Speaker 2: You can catch all episodes of Bully Ball on the Showtime Basketball YouTube channel, or you can get it wherever you get your podcast and every week. I'm asking you, and I am shameless, and I have no problem saying that we need your five star reviews because the algorithm picks us up if we get the five star reviews. So go to the phone, hit the little button. You can vote as many times as you want.
Speaker 6: Do it.
Speaker 2: We'll be here and then we'll pop up her and we'll be back every week, so we'll see y'all. Then, Thanks you, Thanks you. That didn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Bye,