Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Thursday. Football Coming up tonight, Cowboys of the Giants. Giants getting six in this game. Got a pole question that will update Good one Spicy, Speaking of which, Pumpkin spice Maple Tailgate Moonshine is back and if you order two bottles of more, you receive a limited edition GP Show Panini card while supplies last available now Danpatrick dot Com. Coming up on Saturday, it's college football Peacock Exclusive Ohio State Michigan State primetime only on Peacock.
Speaker 2: Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. We'll check in with the UNLV football program, of course we will. I don't think I've ever said that before on this show, but we have a situation there and pretty much the fallout from NIL and maybe probably future situations like this. And as I said in the first hour, source said, hey, wait till December when you have a mass exodus with players who are not going to be playing in games at the end of the season, certainly in bowl games as well, and they'll get ready to transfer. We're just kind of I mentioned that we were kind of teetering here. College football is teetering, teetering on the verge of something great with the playoffs, teetering on the verge of are we going to have collective a bargaining agreement attached to college football? Which is where we are headed. Former MVP Derek Rose announced his retirement. What could have been? He was sort of Jah Moran before John Morant. He was extremely athletic, came out of Memphis, and he was an immediate hit there. If you look at winning your MVP in the first three years of your career, he did so. His third year in Chicago, Bob McAdoo did that, and his third year in Buffalo Dave Cowens did that as well. I mean, we've had a lot of players who have ended up winning their MVP in the first three years or so. Kareem wanted his second, Wes Unsealed his first, wiltis first, Bill Russell was second, Bob Petted his second. But Derrick Rose was in his third year. Then he got injured and was really never the same. And it's almost as if he had played six years instead of twelve years, like he would have been probably a Hall of Famer because I think the voters would have given him the benefit of the doubt of what could have been. But he did hang on, he did play. Probably didn't matter too much to many people here watching unless you know you saw him occasionally on a highlight. But he was a highlight when he played with the Chicago Bulls. But he was extremely athletic, explosive, fun and different coming into the league. But announcing his retirement there, Yes, Marvin, and.
Speaker 3: I think Derrick Grosse has a guess unbreakable record. He's the youngest MVP in NBA history at twenty two years old. I don't think anybody will win the MVP at twenty two. Maybe Victor, but he's got to put up unbelievable numbers and the Spurs have to be much better than what they are right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the voters they like to have you earn it. We're not going to give you the MVP. You have to earn it, and we want to see if you have postseason success. I mean, look at what they did with the Joker. We're not going to give him the MVP until he hasn't had any success in the postseason. Then he wins the title. Now all of a sudden we look at him differently, Giannis. We want to see if he's going to win. Okay, he wins. Now you know he's in that category of you know, it comes back around. We'll give an MVP. Joe El Embiid hasn't done anything in the postseason, but he has won MVP. It takes a lot. If you're coming in, you better be unique, and wemban Yama has that opportunity to be unique and maybe win one before he's twenty one years of age.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, Hall of Fame voters sometimes give you a Hall pass if you have a arable injury because you were on your way to the Hall of Fame. We mentioned Gail Sayers the other day. I think Grant Hill goes in for his entire career. Is Derek Rose on the cuspboar? Is it not that close for the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: No, because of the controversy at Memphis. So I'm including grand Hill at Duke winning titles and you can make an argument he was the best player on the team, and that's saying a lot back then. But with what they vacated those wins, I think at Memphis, didn't they in the final Four appearance or the Final Game appearance. Yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 3: I think the standards for the Basketball Hall of Fame, no disrespect, they're a little bit lower than football in baseball. So every single person that's won the MVP Award in the NBA, they're in the Hall that's eligible. So I think the MVP Award gets him in. Like if Penny Hardaway won the MVP Award, he'd be in.
Speaker 2: Okay, So well, I think the Memphis thing hurts him.
Speaker 5: Okay, do what Cow's in the Hall?
Speaker 2: Well, I think what he did at Kentucky and what he did at U Mass. I mean, I'm gonna guess that he did more things, maybe at more places, than Derreck Rose did. Are you saying Cal shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, No, he's just he got you Mass to the Final Four.
Speaker 2: You ever been to Amherst, Yes, yes, I went to I went to Midnight Madness. I was working at the mother Ship. Went to Midnight Madness there with the with the coach coach Cal and so yeah, I was there.
Speaker 5: I had Amherst rocket for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, Yes, he did. Amherst. B Rocking stat of the Day brought to you by Penny America, the official trading cards of this program. Sunday Night, It'll be Josh Allen against Lamar Jackson. It's the Bills, the Ravens, seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Uh, Caitlin Clark, her season came to an end. Quite a rookie year, quite an eleven month span for Caitlin Clark. That's what made it amazing. Is stepped out of the Final four, and then a week later she's in the WNBA. And then she has a pretty tough schedule to start out. I think they started out one in eight. She needed to rest. The Olympics certainly helped that, and she proved that she's not only the Rookie of the Year unanimous pick, but she finished in the top five MVP and rightfully so with what she did not only for her team, but for the league as well. And let's see, let's see how viewership is moving into the Final four for the WNBA with no Caitlyn Clark. The White Sox hold off infamy again as they have a walk off and still have a chance to be the worst baseball team in history. A couple of phone calls in here as we start hour two, it's and in Wisconsin high end. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: IDP, first time launch. I'm five to nine.
Speaker 8: None of your business.
Speaker 7: I am actually Coach Hockett's wife from Stevens Point and it is his birthday today and he asks for two things for his birthday. Number one was a birthday shout out from DP and the boys, and number two was to get you before retirement, to come down to Stephens Point and we'll get you in a game.
Speaker 2: Will you do I get in a regular season game?
Speaker 7: And well, no, I'm a professor here at Stephen's Point, so I do have some pull, so you know what, we can talk off air, and I've been working some nil deals for you. We have a big golf outing this weekend, and I'm going around town doing my you know, head coach wife duties, and no one wants to talk about the basketball. All they want to talk about is when is DP coming to Stephens Point.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm thinking about holding a press conference with three different hats in front of me and then announcing that I'm going to Wisconsin Stevens Point a shout out a happy birthday for coach.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Come on, that'll be Wisconsin, Green Bay and Doug Gott Lady oh oh, just made it personal. Thank you Mann, thank you for calling there. Let me see Cindy in North Carolina. Hi, Cindy, what's on your mind today? Hi?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 2: How are you average?
Speaker 8: But improving the backup quarterback situation? If the Steelers have the best, and I think they do, then my team, the Dolphins, we're the worst. We're disaster. And I think the frustrating thing about it is I have the feeling that there are coaches who don't take that position as serious as they should. I wanted us to trade for Justin Heal, so we have an injury prone quarterbacks with the history of concussions. Sure enough, the inevitable happens, and now we're stuck with Skyler Thompson, who it was terrible in the preseason. We let Mike White go, We signed Tim Boyle. We know how that worked out for the Jets last year, and maybe Tyler Huntley will come through. But it's almost coaching malpractice.
Speaker 2: Well I said that before, Cindy, and thank you for the phone call. If you're going to sign Tua to a long term deal, then you must have a quarterback, a backup who is capable of running this style of offense that has to be done, and he has to know that. I would have said that to him. We're going to give you a great contract, but we want to carve out some money for your backup because we are going to hold our breaths when you're playing, because all it takes is one more concussion and here we are. So I said that. I wouldn't have extended him in the first place. But if you're going to that's when you do. Go get somebody like Justin Fields. You get somebody who is at least capable of, you know, being a legitimate starting quarterback. Now Justin can't run that system the way Tua does, but I would ask about Russell Wilson once he gets healthy. I'd at least inquire. I would inquire about Zach Wilson. Adam Schefter brought this up. I got to find somebody who can get the ball out, knows how to run this offense with Mike McDaniel, because whoever they put in there, Mike will make them a better quarterback. I just want to start with somebody who's got more talent than some of these backup here because you got I mean you're ready to go. You're ready to go with this team. You made a big commitment to your wide receivers. You got to be ready to go. And who knows, you know when we get a further diagnosis on Tua, because it's going to be a few more weeks here before he's eligible to come back. Bradley and Vermont. Hi Bradley, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 9: Dan, first time caller, longtime listener five nine one fifty. I was calling about some thoughts for your guys's bowling team. Hmmm, a team name obviously Dan and the Dan Nets. And having been a longtime bowler myself, Uh, who do you guys think the lineup would be from? Say all of you one to five? Usually you do it like baseball, where your heavy hitter would be last or your cleanup man.
Speaker 2: Well, I like to think of it differently than you do, Bradley, because I subscribe to the Kyle Schwarber Show. He tyya, I'm gonna I'm gonna lead off on the hammer and I'm going to set the tone and just let people know there's more where that came from.
Speaker 9: And back up for a few months. Uh, bowling men only bowl without bumpers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we know that. All I cared is could I drink beer? And I played with. My teammates were guys I worked with at CNN, and they were so disappointed when I cracked a beer. And I'm like, dude, this is like swing Loube when you're playing golf. I mean, I am going to tear this up until I'm impaired, and then I'm going to be really really bad. So true to form. First two games? Hey, all right?
Speaker 1: Third?
Speaker 10: Not so good?
Speaker 2: Not so good?
Speaker 11: You're not going to take this seriously, Dan, you might not be meant for the Rolling Thunders whatever.
Speaker 2: The team name might have been, the Rolling Thunder review that was rolling Bob Dylan. Yes, and you know Fritzy says, Oh, shouldn't you be the anchor of our team? Yeah, I am, but the anchor is leading off. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: There are sports like bowling, cornhole, sixteen softball that if you don't have a drink in the opposite end, you almost look unbalanced. It almost is improper not to have some time a beverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm open for a bowling team, just I would like to have outfits. I think that would be important. I would like to have clear, customized bullet ball. Yeah, obviously the outfits are important. I'd like to have something form fitting. We can I can jump suit. I don't know. I'm just saying I'm open to it. I like kind of skin tight overalls, maybe with no shirt on underneath it. That's just let's just let let's say we're gonna send out a vibe. We're going to be Bill Murray and kingpen.
Speaker 11: Genevieve Morton at one time when she came in the La studio, I believe that was the outfit.
Speaker 10: By the way, I think bowling teams only have four people.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. We're going to find a league that has five. But if somebody's going to get left out, the guy who injured his arm during wiffle ball would probably have to sit this one out time.
Speaker 5: That could be the spare tire. I could hello anybody fair bowling tire.
Speaker 10: Fun is watching Todd bowle though?
Speaker 2: I know, but but okay, we watched him play wiffle ball at a pretty high level. Everybody was amazed, and then Todd goes, I'm going to go see at the doctor.
Speaker 5: Resulting in like level two ten tonight some some sort.
Speaker 2: No, right now, there were no levels there. He hurt himself playing whiffle.
Speaker 10: Ball, swinging a whiffle ball bat.
Speaker 5: Yes, I can't blame it. I'm pitching because there was my right arm and I was throwing with my left, so I had to be the follow through the I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't lose you to a bowling injury. I can't like knowing you. You'd get your hands stuck in that you know the ball return.
Speaker 5: And no bumpers. I don't like that idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let me see what else do we have here? Robin Orlando, Hi, Rob Boots on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey, good morning, dping the guys man. Hey, if Fritzy comes off the bench in that bowling league, man, his appearance could be sponsored by a tie rack your spare performer. What I called it about the quick Thank you to PAULI for the James Madison bet on over the weekend man. I laid a few dollars on it, and when he called him Jim Madison, I threw some additional money on it, which did me. Well. My other question for you, I got a technicality or eligibility question for admitting to the club.
Speaker 1: Huno.
Speaker 12: So I had a testicular cancer back when I was twenty eight, few years ago and had to sacrifice one of my plums. But I did, and it was a weird thing at the time. I didn't know what to do, but I did get a prosthetic one. So am I stole out in or not? I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: I am going to say, yes, I'm going to let you in. Technically you have one good plumb, artificial plumb. I'm gonna I'm gonna go to the judges. Judges say yes, we're going to let you in. Yes, Paul, Yeah, checking the bylaws.
Speaker 5: Dan, it's og.
Speaker 4: Whatever you if you're ever at any point down to one, you're in the club. Yeah, og original. Wow, that's the bylaws.
Speaker 2: I didn't make them original. Gonad. I haven't heard that expression in a long time a bit. Yeah. I remember not wearing a cup playing softball and took a bad hop and it was like, oh, man, got hit in the gonuts. Might have been the last time I ever used that expression. Bring it back. It's yeah, heck yeah, bring back gonuds. All in favor, say I, Hi, okay, thank you, all right, We'll check in with the UNLV football program. I found it kind of interesting timing here about a quarterback who didn't get paid and this story breaks on the same day, around the same time that UNLV is getting a bonus check of around twenty seven million dollars for staying in a I think the Mountain West Conference. Here, Does that sound right, todd that they?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So the fact that this quarterback, Matthew Sluca is on his way out of UNLV top twenty five team and over a payment there so the irony of all ironies here. So yeah, here it is. UNLV agreed last night to a one time payment of twenty seven million dollars to stay in the Mountain West Conference on the same day that their quarterback decides to exit stage left. More on this situation coming up right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: We mentioned this yesterday it kind of took off nationally. UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka left the undefeated UNLV Rebels Tuesday night overclaims of unfulfilled verbal nil promises from a UNLV assistant coach and the number that was thrown out he was promised one hundred thousand dollars as he was leaving Holy Cross to go to UNLV. They're undefeated, he's played well, and he decides that he's going to transfer and he's going to red shirt leave UNLV, and we just had Ross Tucker on Ross goes. He might be getting a half million to a million dollars if he goes someplace else next season, which he obviously is going to. David, I've been the national senior college football writer for The Athletic and a host of until Saturday, The Athletics College Football Podcast, joining us on the program, David, how did we get here? How do you summarize exactly what happened?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 13: Do you want to go through thirty years of institable A officials putting the line in the sand as the rest of the world and common sense crossed over and they refuse to adopt common sense rules, and now you have an an il landscape with not very many rules and not very many guidelines, and no one protecting players, no one protecting programs, and situations like these are gonna happen. I mean, this is very different from the Jade and Rashada saga for a number of reasons, but it's in spirited is similar, and that you have a kid being promised a lot of money and not being delivered on that money. And the main reason is because of all of those factors at play in the landscape that make this sort of just a lawless place where people are trying to figure it out. And it's very hard to figure out, especially for you know, kids who are dealing with these situations for the first time ever, and there's it's only been happening for three years and only been happening as it is now for a couple of years, and it's it's hard to figure out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, apply logic and I know that's rarely done.
Speaker 10: It's college, it's easy.
Speaker 2: So he's leaving holy Cross, he's going to UNLV and says that he was promised one hundred thousand dollars by an assistant coach. It's a verbal promise. Now you have to go to the collective to get that money. Like there's a disconnect between the coaching staff and the collective because the NCAA says, you know, they can't you know coexist here from the standpoint of having contact, which is silly. I don't think there's any way you recruit somebody and then say I can't promise you anything, go talk to the collective. What kid is going to transfer under that false pretense? So how do they prove or disprove the one hundred thousand dollars offer from an assistant coach? Well you can.
Speaker 13: I mean, I guess there's not a lot of reason for a kid, So that's a lie. And if you looked at all the statements that came out yesterday, nobody seemed to be disputing this verbal agreement, but they're disputing that there's a written agreement that they can prove in court that they're going to owe this kid actually money he's gonna get paid at all. So it's it's it goes into this place where there's not a lot of norms, there's not a lot of rules, and so I think that there's It definitely seems to be true that that the coach promised him money, and he wouldn't be the first coach to promise the kid money that they didn't have at the moment. But you get the kid, you think, well, we can get donors, we can get boosters excited, we can pay him on the back end. We can make this happen once we get them. And it seems clear based on them coming back to the coaching staff, coming back to the collective over and over since February when the steal was ironed out, that they didn't have the money to pay him. That seems clear at this point. And so that's a failure on the part of the entire sort of UNLV landscape. And it's an embarrassing saga. And this is the kind of stuff that that really hurts you on the recruiting trail. You know, Florida dealt with some of this as well. It's thirteen million dollars versus one hundred thousand dollars. But these are things that that are going to be brought up on the recruiting trail and it's tough to for for for schools to deal with that. But it's a it's an ugly situation, and you know, it goes back to if you don't know that you have the money, maybe don't promise it. But one hundred thousand dollars is not very much money. It seems to me that it's it's kind of hard to believe, even with all of the lack of support that has kind of plagued you one of these program that you can't come up with one hundred thousand dollars for your starting quarterback in Vegas. I mean you could probably go walk around the street and count, you know, ten dollars bills in the cracks of the sidewalk and probably be able to come up with that. So's it's it's hard to believe, but that seems to be the reality for the program right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my college source said to me this morning, you WENTLV wanted to play the game, they couldn't afford to pay the game. Therefore, hey, we want to be big time. And then they do this, you know, but in the same timeframe of a twenty seven million dollar payout to stay in the Mountain West, where this kid's trying to get one hundred thousand dollars that you promised him. So what's the fallout? Like, where where is college football going from here? I said that we're kind of teetering. We're teetering on the vergess something great with the playoffs, but we're also teetering on the verge of what direction are we really headed in with the total landscape of college football.
Speaker 13: Well, it's something that makes a little bit more sense. This sort of perpetual free agency for everybody on every team every year is not good for the sport. It's not good for the kids. You have situations like these. You know this is a public situation, but you hear whispers of kids getting shorted and they stick around because they're like, well, this is the only way I'm gonna get paid is if I just stick around and maybe I'm good enough they decide they're eventually gonna pay me. You kind of hear stuff like that, but you don't see guys leaving teams over it very often.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, what I say.
Speaker 13: With this is you can see in the court cases, you can see in a lot of the legislation that's kind of moving through, is that we're gonna get towards something resembling employment, something resembling revenue sharing, where there's twenty seven million dollar checks that you're getting that's not explicitly TV revenue, but it's basically TV revenue, and the players will get some portion of that. What that exactly looks like, what those percentages look like I think.
Speaker 10: Is still in flux.
Speaker 13: But when you have no rules and no contracts and anything like that, you have no control over player movement, and the courts have proven that over and over again. But if you get to something resembling employment and something resembling revenue sharing, and then you can have contracts and it makes it harder for kids to leave, and it's not exploitive to limit where guys can go. It's the same thing we see in pro sports. You know, if Patrick Mahomes wants to go join the Patriots tomorrow, he can't do that because he's under contract, and nobody complains because he's being paid well and he signed the contract. But you don't have that in college sports right now.
Speaker 1: So something close to.
Speaker 13: That is coming to bring a little bit of common sense back to the roster management across the sport.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a collective bargaining agreement here, David. That's yes, that's where we're that's where we're heading.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you're right, But the issue is that one you have eighty five, it's going to be one hundred and five scholarship guys on one hundred and thirty four FBS teams and it's a transient workforce. It's only going to be relevant in the sport usually one to three years. You're only playing sport for four to five years. So that presents some challenges. And you talk to people that are kind of in the mix for trying to become the people that kind of help form this union, they say those challenges can be overcome. But you look at the NFL where you got you know, thirty two teams and fifty three man roster. That's a much more manageable workforce, and they're going to be there for a little bit longer time. You have leaders, you have guys that are in the league that become faces and understand how these things work for ten years.
Speaker 1: You don't have that in college.
Speaker 13: So in addition to your students at a university as well, which complicates all this as well. So I think ultimately you're right, you'll get to something resembling a collective bard agree, but you have to have something resembling a players association that can collectively bargain on behalf of the players and they're not gonna all agree and getting a consensus or what players want. When that workforce is that big and that transient is a challenge.
Speaker 2: Does the NCAA have a role in this? So they are they playing okay.
Speaker 13: No, this is people in the sport. I think they figured it out a lot in COVID that you know, the conferences are meeting every day, They're saying, hey, what's going on at your campus? What can we do? This is really what it was laid there. I think everybody knew it. But during COVID when they're trying to figure out how do we best serve our athletes? How do we figure out can we get to a season? Can we get guys back on campus? The conferences are meeting every day, The leadership on the campuses are meeting every day. They go weeks months without hearing from the INCIDABA, and I think you talk to people around the sport. Like I said, everybody kind of knew the NCAA was mia on dealing with big picture issues and trying to get to solutions. But when you have this gigantic pandemic that disrupts everything, the absence there really kind of let schools and campus figure out like, oh no, we got to figure this out ourselves.
Speaker 2: David, good to talk to you. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: David Evan, the national senior college football writer for The Athletic, host of Until Saturday, The Athletics, College Football and podcast. The NCAA is like a mall cop. They look like they have authority, but they don't. You're a mall cop. You don't even have a gun.
Speaker 5: What was that, Seth Rogan movie Deserving report.
Speaker 2: Observing report or Paul Blart or Paul Blart mall cop. That's the NC double A. Hey, it's it's a lion without any teeth. It's like, oh, okay, I'm gonna I can oh look at the cute little NC double A Oh boy, alright. A couple more phone calls in here, uh Andy in Puerto Rico, Hi, Andy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Good morning?
Speaker 6: First time love you long time six ' one and a Bruce Leesque one seventy Dan, Dan, and Dennett. You like family to me, and Dan, I know you love love and I had to call you like a proud son to let you know today in Puerto Rico, I am going to be getting I am going to be proposing to my maiden girlfriend and I just had to let you know and possibly get some advice if I've already been told it's the engage your ring, the.
Speaker 5: Marriage ring, and the struggling.
Speaker 6: So I just you know, wanted to you know, get some advice to see see how you feel about this.
Speaker 2: Then okay, run the run, run through the day. Here, what are we doing? How's it start?
Speaker 6: You know where where We're gonna be going to, uh, the lovely rainforest for a guided tour. Then from there we're gonna be going to a lovely rum factory to get another tour. You know, we're just staying busy to kind of keep her off track because I don't want her to get any whiff that you know, this is coming, and not to mention she has no idea, So that's the beauty about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, But then when's the proposed, Like, how how are we proposing?
Speaker 6: I I plan on doing that at the beach close to sunset around sunset right now. I've been keeping track of the weather. It's it's looking like it's gonna be on my side right now, closet and rolling in unfortunately because it's a little wet season right now. But for the most part, everything's looking good so far. So you know, it's just it's it's more or less, you know, air with the weather, but also making sure that tonight is Dad popped the question because we will be leaving tomorrow, and honestly, I've been trying to call you guys since last Friday and I have not been able to get through.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, are you just going to get down on one knee on the beach with the sunset?
Speaker 6: Yes, that's that. That would be it. I was, you know, there was other ideas I did try to you know, get you know, get together. But for the most part, I feel like the sunset with it out on the beach is beautiful as perfect, and you know, I feel like there is no perfect moment. It's just when, you know, feel the timing is right, and I feel like tonight.
Speaker 2: Will be a great night for that. Okay, And don't drop any silly hens, uh, you know, when you're taking your tours. Don't get liquored up at the rum place and then all of a sudden start you know, talking loosely about getting engaged or not getting engaged or trying to throw her off. Don't don't overact here. Okay, Oh definitely, Dan.
Speaker 6: And one more thing, unlike Dylan the graphics guy, I'm actually one of the youngest thirty seven year olds you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 2: All right, well, Andy, I love love, congratulations, good luck, don't screw it up?
Speaker 5: Oh definitely not.
Speaker 6: And hey, I tune into you guys every day and I can never take a break from you all, even if I'm back home or if I'm on vacation.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll safe travels there, but good luck tonight. We're all counting on you. I don't know. It didn't sound like you had a great game plan for actually giving her the ring. And then the weather's gonna play a role. What if it rains? I don't know. You try to make it perfect. Sometimes you try to make it too perfect.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I thought you had a good point of your drinking rum all day. You got to ring in your pocket? Is it secure if you have dinner plans ready for afterwards?
Speaker 5: He seemed loose.
Speaker 2: What could go wrong? He seemed a little too overconfident, you know he did. He's like, I'm gonna throw her off. We're gonna take go through the rainforest, going to go to a rum place factory, and then we're going to go to the beach and clouds are rolling in and then all of a sudden, that could be a metaphor for exactly what's going to happen.
Speaker 10: M don't see fellas all excited. He's he is high on life right now, he's nothing.
Speaker 2: Trying to help. See, I'm trying to help. I don't know if that does I am. I'm just saying, don't base it on weather. Like when when kids are in your wedding party, the little kids, and then you're trying to go oh yeah, and then the little Skippy is going to be the ring bear, and then Skippy decides to sit down in the aisle and not move. Just you know you're going to rely on an animal or a little child, or the weather could be nicy there, just say trying to help Andy, Yes, Paul, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the beach is an uncontrolled environment. There could be people running around and there is there a chance to take a picture. I don't know if you guys know this, but the day I was going to ask my girlfriend to marry me, I had it all set up and I call an audible and code red code red and didn't do it, not because I wasn't sure. It was the day my wife got her master's degree. Special day. But then like it was raining like crazy. Her brothers were like maniacs and making a mess at the restaurant, arguing about what we're going to eat. And she was in a bad mood because the brothers are kind of jacking.
Speaker 2: Up the day being brothers. Yeah, being brothers and bean knucklehead. I called an audible. I pushed it back a week. Okay, I felt there was the right call at the time. Well, you got to read the room, you know, I can't. You can't force love. It just it just happens. It just happens, just.
Speaker 3: Out of nowhere. Yeah, Oh yeah, absolutely, I didn't mind. I Rockefeller Center, oh.
Speaker 2: In front of you know, five hundred of your closest friends.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. I didn't get down on one knee or anything.
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 3: I took the ring out and I asked her to marry me. Oh but my wife would have a panic attack if I got on one knee and people saw that happening.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why Rockefeller Center. It's a really busy.
Speaker 3: Play because the last time, because the last time we went to Rockefeller Center, she swore it was gonna happen, and it did not happen. It was Chris it was Christmas time.
Speaker 5: We were going. We went there and see the tree. Yeah, see the tree.
Speaker 3: All that stuff, and I was like, oh, the NBA store is right here. And she was like what and she cried on the train ride home.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't bring her back. Then she knows you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get She had no she had no idea. This was December. I asked her in April. And because we always went to New York.
Speaker 4: And you're sitting there with her forty five dollars Memphis Grizzlies hat.
Speaker 3: On the way home, I was like, boy, this new New Orleans jazz fitted is phenomenal.
Speaker 2: I was like, whoa, boy, she's done the amount of money I could have spent on an engagement spent it on gear. Look at me, honey, look hot. I was like, oh, look at the Yeah, it's tr right. Let me take a break. More phone calls coming up, and an interesting stat on the Chicago White Sox that I think you'll find well interesting, and that'll be after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Looking at some numbers here, the Ravens can tie the nineteen seventy three through seventy six Buffalo Bills with thirty seven consecutive games of rushing for at least one hundred yards. Pretty amazing run. Obviously pun intended, but you start to look at the Buffalo Bills are on there, the Lions back in nineteen thirty five. The Steelers in seventy four through seventy seven had forty three consecutive games, but that's when you did run and play great defense because they had Rocky Blyer and Franco Harris. The Ravens twenty eighteen through twenty twenty one had forty three consecutive games rushing for one hundred yards. Also a couple other things. I don't know why we're kind of numb to passing numbers. Tom Brady has one hundred and two thousand passing yards. For some reason, I wasn't aware that he had that many. I guess that's including postseason as well. Drew Brees has eighty five thousand, Peyton Manning seventy nine thousand, Brett Farv seventy seven thousand. Uh, Dan Marino's on here, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers has sixty five thousand yards, but Brady has one o two in his career. I'm assuming that his postseason as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, Yeah, I have Tom Brady with eighty nine thousand, two hundred and fourteen in the regular season, plus six hundred and forty nine touchdowns. In the postseason, he has thirteen thousand, four hundred yards, eighty eight touchdowns and forty picks. His postseason stats are similar to like, you know, like that, that's a decent career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're regular. Whoaoow stead of a day, stall of a day?
Speaker 8: Stead of a day?
Speaker 1: Stantata day.
Speaker 2: This is the stat of the day. Stat of the Day, brought to you by Panini America. Also, TJ. Watt is closing in on one hundred sacks. He has ninety nine and a half in one hundred and seven games. He will be the second fastest to one hundred sacks since they started keep I still can't believe the NFL only kept track of stats back in nineteen eighty two. With sacks. It's Reggie White. It took him ninety six games to get to one hundred. I still love it. If I mean NFL films documented a lot of this, I would think that you would be able to go back and check the stats on sacks back then, but they only have it in nineteen eighty two. I mentioned an interesting stat for you. The Chicago White Sox right now have thirty eight wins. Thirty eight wins in twenty twenty four. In twenty twenty, they had thirty six wins in sixty games. That was during COVID. Go ahead, mark, Yeah, you can.
Speaker 5: Start of the day startup the.
Speaker 9: Day statu, the day start of the day statu, the day startup, day startup to day startup the third.
Speaker 2: There are only fifty three and a half games out of first place, so there's still time. So they have thirty eight wins this year. They had thirty six wins in twenty twenty and that's when they only played sixty games. Wow, okay, I saw this situation. This was something we brought up at the time. How do you prove that you were the first to have the Shoho Tani home run ball? There was controversy. There was an eighteen year old fan who had the ball and was taken out of his hands. Well, the eighteen year old has filed a lawsuit saying he caught show Hey Otani's fiftieth home run ball first, and we'll seek an injunction to stop an auction that is scheduled to start on Friday, opening bid for that baseball five hundred thousand dollars. And Darren Ravel is providing all this information, and we wondered about that, how do you prove that you had the ball? What is the saying go about possession? What is it nine tenths nine tenths of the wall or something like that. But did he have the ball? How long did he have the ball? And is that enough to file an injunction here and stop this auction?
Speaker 4: Yes, Pauline, we've been watching the video here and there's one person right behind the scrum for the baseball, and these two gentlemen are going at it. One guy's more of like a middle aged guy, and one of guy's clearly like a high school kid. And then there's that guy on top of both of them. You can't see what's going on the bottom because one guy is huddled like in a fetal position around the ball. The kid is standing and has his arm down. You can't see anything that helps you with like if you went to the review we were discussing should you to complete the process of catching the ball, and not to be.
Speaker 2: Snarky, complete the process, you.
Speaker 4: Kind of have to stand up and say I got it. Isn't that who has the ball?
Speaker 2: I would think so, like I've I've had balls go through my hands there and I can't say, hey, I caught it. Wait a minute, sorry, yeah, thank you. Haven't we all had balls go through our hands.
Speaker 10: Never made that mistake again, never, one time and one time only.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough watching the video.
Speaker 4: There's very little for the uh, the plaintiff to go on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah, kind of feels like a loss for everybody, to be honest with you, the kid kind of seems like a loser for suing. Uh, it's never gonna happen. And then you kind of look like a loser even though you got the ball. When you rip out of a kid's hands and then you stand up with it over your head celebrating, you kind of look like a jerk then too.
Speaker 10: But at least you're gonna get five hundred k at.
Speaker 2: Least at least I mean, it's not like he's taking it out of a nine year old's hands. It's an eighteen year old.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the kid is eighteen, but it's still when you look, you're not looking like Yeah, I had to wrestle it away from a grown man.
Speaker 10: There's no one's confusing that scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what it's. It's a survival there. You're in a mosh pit, you know, I get it. Yes, ton, I've looked.
Speaker 5: Like a jerk many times for free. So if it's a half a million dollars on the line, I think that's a worthwhile deal to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd have no problem not gonna you know eight y oh, I don't forget.
Speaker 5: About it over time.
Speaker 3: You know where I mean, you're pulling up in your fancy sports card and you got your fur coat or whatever you like to.
Speaker 2: Writ find an hour on the way. We'll talk to the great writer, right Thompson eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. Two hours of the books on this Thursday. One more to go with Fritzie Seaton, Mark Paulie. You'res truly here on The Dan Patrick Show.