Speaker 1: Native Land Pot is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Resent Choice Medium.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome Home.
Speaker 1: Y'all's episode forty five. The same age as me on this podcast. Almost the same age as Angel. It's the same age as Andrew.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the presidency forty five, but you look twenty three, Angels.
Speaker 3: Are we trying? Are trying you?
Speaker 4: You're gonna correct me? Tell me your real agent?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Anyway, any day, No friend, I'm trying to take you back to a moment in time when you were in an interview with someone and that comment was.
Speaker 1: Oh, well it wouldn't It would not be the show if Andrew did not throw some shape.
Speaker 3: Anyway. Let me finish introducing y'all.
Speaker 1: I'm Tiffany Cross here with the rowdy rattler, Andrew Gillham and the dopest MC and the former beauty since the Week, ANGELA.
Speaker 4: Right Jet tip.
Speaker 5: I actually think you wanted to be a Jet Beauty of the Week. I didn't want to be on the whisker. I wanted to be on the covera Jet. I don't think that that's going I want to be both, yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, Tif was tif was what new.
Speaker 3: I missed back with Hall? I was missed back with Hall.
Speaker 5: Record anyway picture in this episode that would be excellent.
Speaker 1: For sure, Nick, I'll send you that picture and I would like it dropped and I would like it up in the corner during the entire episode.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, Angela, you just got back from Michigan, so let's get into it. I want to hear what we're talking about today, what y'all got.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing that I really want to talk about is also some kudos to Leonard's Charlemagne McKelvey and also to Kamala Harris. They did a fantastic interview that I got to see yesterday, So I do want to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Well, y'all, There's been some developments on the elections front, elections law rulings in Georgia and Tiffany, I think, like you, I would like to address the environment we find ourselves as relates to the political violence as we lead into election. This is going to be about surviving election day and surviving the aftermath.
Speaker 1: That's super like a super serious issue for me, is very personal to me. And I'll tell you guys why when we get into that. In the episode. But I'm glad that you brought that up, Andrew, because I definitely want to talk about that. Can I just say that I really miss you guys, and I'm looking forward to being with you guys Andela when am I seeing you?
Speaker 5: Guess what? We just announced the Bring It Home Tour right in time for Election Day, which is just around the corner. You guys know what. We count down every single week, so we will be in Detroit right by Piston's Land this weekend. We're very, very excited to be there to really bring it home to ensure that we get out the votes. That is the first day of early voting in Michigan. We have some special guests that you all have seen before on this podcast and some that you have not, so that will be our first stop. Tip It's this Saturday, which is what is that date? October eighteenth, nineteenth, one of these days. No, it's definitely the nineteenth. It's October. It's October nineteenth. This is why we don't schedule.
Speaker 1: So come holler at us the day Sin We'll see you in the date SI on Saturday, October nineteenth. We look forward to seeing you out there at the Piston Land can show.
Speaker 5: What up though, though. Okay, so, as we just talked about, you guys, I really got to sit down and be proud of a really incredible moment in Detroit yesterday. As you all know, Kamala Harris is running neck in neck and neck to Donald Trump in Michigan, and there was an incredible idea put together to do a radio based town hall with black men, questions being asked by a black man, Charlemagne the God, and questions being asked by Detroit residents everything from the economy to reparation to the plan to get folks out of poverty and into the middle class of Kamala Harris, right after she rolled out her plan for black men, she first talked about this on an interview with Roland Martin, our friend Roland Martin and Roland Martin Unfiltered. She rolled that plan out, and she continued to talk about that plan with Lenard yesterday, and I got to tell you, guys, it was really really impressive. I think my favorite moment in that interview was also one point five billion social media impressions later. My favorite moment was watching her engage with these black men of faith leader in Michigan who talked about the importance of outreach to the faith community, her name dropping her own pastor, and even getting to right a moment where we see someone else who claims blackness and fans blackness, who didn't know that when you say God is good, the response is did Kamala Harris nailed that as well? So I think it was really really powerful. I know we're going to run a clip later in this program, but I loved hear what you all thought. I thought it was a really good interview, super timely, and it looks like it was going over really really well. We should also talk about mainstream media's response to this. I look forward to hearing y'all spot Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think, you know, I'm kind of looking at this in the larger context of her outreach to black men, because she's really done I think a really impressive job with that. When she we talked last week when she sat down with All the Smoke, of course you just talked about. She sat down this week with Charlemagne, she sat down with Roland Martin unfiltered. So you know, I'd love to acknowledge that she is going into places and meeting voters where they are, and so I hope that's well received. It's a really different a different political landscape and political environment now, and not everybody's watching debates, not everybody is watching legacy media, and sometimes it really is just a clippable SoundBite that pops up on your feed, and that's going to be the only place that someone might hear your message. So I think the more places she is, then the more likely it is that people will hear from her message. I would like to get into the meat of what she's offering, you know, because it's not just about showing up and shaking hands and saying a little phrase, even though that is that has such credo in our community, but I think the actual policies that she's putting forth actually matter. So, Andrew, you're a black man on the panel, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.
Speaker 4: A black man, and certainly not the voice for all of us, which I think is really where I want to start with this is her respect, her respect enough for black men to even put an agenda forward right and to say I reject the premise of the question of why aren't black men with you? I don't take any voting group for granted. I have to go out there, work for it, ask for it, present them a reason to be for me. And quite frankly, even absent that agenda, black men have been by and large for her as probably the second largest dedicated constituency group of any group out there in America, behind black women supporting Kamala Harris. But the humility that she brought to it, but also the strength I think in the conversation by saying, Hey, I'm not just here as a mouthpiece. Let me bring it. And in my form of bringing it, are these receipts known as a policy agenda for Black men in America. I remember an election not so long ago where the question was asked, what is your agenda for Black America and Black men in America? And the response was the agenda for the country is the agenda for black men? And while I love to receive that as the proper answer, We're gonna have to look at the history books the disproportionately When you have communities that are disproportionately impacted by systems structures in this country, then you absolutely have to have a remedy that speaks directly to them, and I think that's what this agenda does. Angela. I'm sure you probably want to break down a couple of the points that you heard, but I was especially interested in the piece around the small business support for those who want to start new businesses and that those grants, I mean, those loans can be then formed made into the form of a grant that don't have to be repaired.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, one million loans that are fully forgetting black entrepreneurs.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: The other thing is a lot of people have been focusing on the graphic they saw that announces her agenda, and there was even an article that was out in NPR a couple of days ago that says, Kamala Harris rolls out black men agenda targeting the legalization of cannabis and making more accessible cryptocurrency. I probably have fumbled this headline. Put that picture up for me, and what you will see is one this agenda is actually nine pages long. She doesn't just talk about crypto and cannabis. And furthermore, it wasn't just about the legalization of cannabis. It was actually ensuring that black men have an on ramp to get in the cannabis industry period make moneys from it, not just be penalized for whatever their past uses or distribution of it was. I also think it's important to realize black folks, to your point Andrew, are not monolithic. And when you talk about black people and their on wrap into the economy and upper mobility, we also have to talk about black farmers. She does that in this nine page plan. It's not included in this graphic, So there are a lot of pieces to this. Black folks don't just cary care about justice reform. If we don't just carry about voting rights, we don't just carry about transportation. We don't just care about the economy. We don't just care about healthcare. We care about all of those things because we are holistic beings existing in this country, and this plant addresses every aspect of those things.
Speaker 4: I love that she said, you know, a black agenda is more than just an agenda around criminal justice reform. Criminal justice reform is important, no doubt about it, partially because of the systems and structures that exist that disproportionately target us and impact us in our families, but it isn't the only thing. And I appreciate her quite frankly putting economics centerfold, because every black man that I know every proud one wants to work provide for themselves and for their families. Nobody then out here asking begging for anybody's hand out that the same opportunities that exist for everybody else, everyone else, so that we can make away for ourselves and for for for the families that we care about and love. So where can people go?
Speaker 3: Oh, sorry, go ahead, go ahead?
Speaker 4: No, no, please go ahead. I was I was going to ask Angela where people go to get the full agenda?
Speaker 3: Was her website? You can literally go to her website.
Speaker 4: I think the breakfast cut for those of you follow also allowed for greater enumeration of the agenda. And of course we referenced name check. Roland Martin show is another another place.
Speaker 3: But go ahead and shout out to Row forgetting that interview as well.
Speaker 4: That's real.
Speaker 1: I you were saying something, Andrew, and we were talking before the show started, and you were saying how basically you were like, I'm happy that the mainstream media, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that I that I heard that I heard on television. That's more mainstream cable news from white male and a Tino hosts or panelists who were saying saying Kamala Harris presents a black agenda for black men, and they weren't talking about it in a disparaging way, which is uncustomary to me. I can't every time before prior to this point, when I've heard a black agenda and a black this, folks have basically set it to the side, patted it on the head before they then ranted in some sort of insult as to why should there be a separate da da da da da dada? Well, why should there be a separate women's agenda? Why should there be agenda for Wall Street? Why should so? Why why does all these other constituencies get an agenda? And then when it's referenced that black men are being prioritized by way of policy change to improve their lives and livelihoods, that it's all of a sudden a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I'm kind of torn on how I feel about that. So one, I think the main important thing is Vice President Harris has put forth a solid policy agenda for black men. There is no more excuse for someone to say, she's not speaking to me, what has she done for me? What is she going to do for me? Like at this point, you are participating in willful ignorance if you continue to spread that mistruth, and we have seen that all across social media. I've heard that in different conversation. So that is the main point my frustration, I think Andrew in legacy media and some of these conversations is they do continue to perpetuate this lie that somehow black men could cost her the election, and that's just not true. You know, there is there are no none of these swing states where black Republicans are great enough in number that they're going to cost her the election. And it's not enough acknowledgement that black men overwhelmingly are Democratic voters, a progressive group of men who vote Democrat. Just I think their numbers are just behind where they have voted in the last two elections. I think it was twelve percent Republican. So just when I say that, I'm not trying to magnify that number. It's a very tiny number. But I did have a conversation over the weekend. I was doing a production and I did have conversation with some folks who were Republican voters. This is my challenge because I am looking for someone to present a sound, coherent, logical argument to me about why they support the Republican ticket, and every single time I have not met that person. Every single time, it's someone who is not only uninformed of the issue, but has not made the slightest effort to get.
Speaker 3: Informed on an issue. Some of these things you can simply google.
Speaker 1: Guys, It's just not true, like they literally is because somebody said something or I heard this. I'm also a bit offended. As a black woman and having my entire life dealt with black men, I'm offended at this notion that when you want to know how black people feel, you're going to go to a barbershop or a beauty someonment. That's such a tired, trite roll out. And as long as legacy media continues to traffic in that, this is why legacy media numbers are shrinking, because when we don't see ourselves and the depth of ourselves reflected, then we tend to tune that out. So I would beg people, no matter what the hosts look like.
Speaker 3: I would beg.
Speaker 1: People to reach a little deeper and appreciate who we are as a community and the depth that we have as a community. This is no this to barbers like barber's attax bands they have something to say. But when you want to know how black people feel, you go into barbers celebrities, you know, people who you know that and that it ends there, you know, And I was frustrating.
Speaker 4: If I appreciate that point, Just two quick things. One, I do want to lift up the fact that the barbershop experience for black men is very yeique. It is oftentimes a It is probably the one point at which the different strata of us find ourselves in shared place, shared environment. And I think the beauty salon is frankly very similar, and that it is a cultural experience. That being said, it is not in and of itself the mouthpiece or the job of the barber who's doing the listening and sometimes responding to then become the representative voice of what black men in America think, where nobody is that simplistic. And my second point is, is your point around the black folks who haven't been able to make the compelling argument. I said this many episodes ago when we were talking about people who were black and voting Republican, and my point was was fifty cent his budget look a whole lot different than Andrew Gillums, right, and Joe on the street. And so he may hear from Trump a tax cut, and that may be sufficient enough for him to forgive, not consider release all the rest that the man has done and had to say, because at the end of the day, this man is voting for his bank. And so we should, particularly in celebrity culture, we have to really be curious and pull back the layer as to why it is that a person may feel the way they feel or may be caping and the way in which they're caping because their agenda might not match ours. Yeah, and and and and by the way, okay, that's your business. Good for you, but you don't need to be giving me political advice because you and I aren't a line on the same thing. What may be good for you may be terribly harmful for me. And so I think we're a complex enough community to recognize we've all got different motives. I do think we share a lot in common. First of all, our humanity. That box has to be checked first. If you can't see me as human, if you can't respect me, if you think my body can be thrown and slain about as if I'm some kind of ragged all at your at your leisure, or pleasure. Then that's it for me that I am a single issue voter when it comes to my humanity. If you can't see that, we can't get to the rest of it. So that's what I think keeps us so much connected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 1: I want to hear some sound from the interview, because I think that was the unique thing about Charlemagne's interview is that it was interacted like other people can questions really quickly before we go to that, Angela, you and I were part of a conversation that I will respect the people involved in the conversation by keeping most of the substance of it quiet. But someone made a comment like, oh, but who cares about the plight of the black man? And it struck me so that I asked, well, we care about the plight of the black man, but what does caring about the plight of the black man look like to you? And who is doing the caring? And it opened up this beautiful wealth of black men sharing what it looked like to them to be cared for. And people reference thing about family, they reference thing about their thoughts about the healthcare system, like if I'm going in because my knee hurts and the doctor's like, yeah, well how long you been doing cracky he or you know, different things and their family dynamic, how they're treated at work. It was such a beautiful exchange of open feelings. Angela, you you remember this, of course, And I just want to open that space up here to our brothers, if you're watching this, I would love to hear from black men what.
Speaker 3: Does it look like to care for you?
Speaker 1: And who is doing the caring? Because we have to in our community. It does seem to be some animis sometimes when it comes to our politics, when it comes to our building family units. So I just want to hear from you brothers and give y'all question that or drop a video if y'all want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Andrew go ahead.
Speaker 4: To answer your question. Also, what assumptions are made about you that folks out to suspend with from here to fourth? So, for instance, most black men I know want to do the caring and not be cared for. And the way in which and the way in which it lands with me, right, I'm the one who will shoulder a lot of that stuff in my household because I don't want to burden my wife. I don't want to burden the family with the things that I feel like I need to take care of for us, and so add to that, as you're responding, are there assumptions that are made about you as a black man inside our community and outside that you would like to put the rest?
Speaker 5: Well, there's a few things. Y'all went so many places, and I want to like chime in on some of these things. But one thing I just want to acknowledge to going back to something you raised about the mainstream media's response or really like the trafficking in the conspiracy theory of black men overthrowing the government joining with the insurrectionists to support Donald Trump in historic numbers. The thing that I think is fascinating is and I was finding myself really caught in a conundrum yesterday finding out that Lenard's interview with Kamala ran in full on CNN and MSNBC. I was elated by that and also troubled by that. And the conundrum was, give, however this interview goes, You're going to rest the full responsibility of that on black men and on Kamala Harris, right, And so I was like, I wanted to celebrate the fact that it was getting this much attention, but found myself being remarkably worried about it when I heard about it later, because it does feel like there's this moment in the interview that we actually did it pool where Lenard says to her.
Speaker 7: President Obama was out there last week waving his finger at black men. When are Liz Cheney and Hillary Clinton going wave their finger at white women? When a Bill Clinton and Joe Biden going wave their finger at white men. Because fifty two percent of white women voted for Trump in twenty sixteen, fifty five percent voted for Trump in twenty twenty, they all voted against their own interests. When the fingerwa wave, we're gonna start at them.
Speaker 5: Instead of saying, yeah, they do need to do that, Kamla says, well, you know, and to that point, I am so happy with them. Not a Republican support that I get, And I'm like, yeah, but that's the point. The point is everybody.
Speaker 4: Needs to do She made the right point.
Speaker 5: No, no, and I'm not saying there was no really, there's no wrong answer there, right, But it's like, you do need to have everybody who has influence in their micro and their macro spheres of influence talking to each other espent like Herago Rivera you know, endorsed her yesterday after this interview, like, go talk to your Hispanic conservative leaning friends now, Haraldo, I don't really need to see no, no, no, uh. What are the things called thank you in my community? The eraldo on it? It probably is not gonna move me. And then the other thing that I wanted to say that urked me about yesterday is, you know, it's really hard when you're at this stage in the campaign to know the right thing to do. And so you you just like they say on the house floor, you vote your conscience, you do your conscience. Her conscience led her to say, you know what, I can't lose my brothers by at any number with to this man or to this other person that's running for another color party that shall not be named on this here show. She said, I'm going to target them in a way that I think uplifts them, to let them know that I do care. Right, TIF do write Andrew to the point you all were just raising there are some fools out here saying she's pandering. So I'm like, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. So I refuse to engage in that dialogue and want to instead say here are all the ways that she's not. Again, the frustration with the NPR headline is it trafficked right into that pandering narrative with the two items that lifted up from her agenda because it was clickbait, not because it was the whole of her agenda. And then the last thing I was gonna say, tif you brought up this thing about the barber shop. You know, I would really like for white folks to consider all of the many places that they live their lives every day, right, take your kids to school, you go grocery shopping, you pay your bills. You might go to the post office. If your post office in your neighborhood is still working for you, you go to the bank. There are all of these places where are actually our ideologies do intersect and they do conflict. There are all of these places you can go to talk to black folks. They are the same places you go to talk to white folks and to brown folks. Where do you go for fun? You know what artists do you listen to? Everybody doesn't have the same ideological bent in those varying areas. I encourage you, Yes, we like to get our hair did okay? Yes, the dude like to have a fade okay, and he might spray paint it on if it ain't that I gy, but like, this is not, this is not I mean it happens. They even got units, you know, the glue that thing on like tracks dudes wear, given how you shine, and you do not have a unit. But I was just saying that this is these are.
Speaker 3: Like you like this, Andrew.
Speaker 2: I like you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get you, I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 4: I'm just going yes.
Speaker 3: On the campaign.
Speaker 5: And I wasn't even talking about you, but it hit dog will what Anyway. The point I'm raising is just that we need to be more dynamic with our interpretations of where black people are. And if you're confused producers, if you're confused campaign staff, if you're confused man on the street on where to find black people, we are your resident. Help us to find where the black people are in Native Lampard.
Speaker 4: Welcome right next to you, right.
Speaker 8: Can.
Speaker 3: I I want to say two things.
Speaker 1: One I just want to say Andrew, I think you look the best you've ever looked.
Speaker 3: With no hair.
Speaker 5: You have money to do this. You do this every three shows, and.
Speaker 1: I was about to go to Angela, well, she's not gonna like what I say anyway, But Angela, I think you look beautiful today with your big hair.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: And we talked about wearing units these some hair clips on the show, and I do you know I can't have tracks on My.
Speaker 3: Hair is sanding at the top.
Speaker 4: And then back to the Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, I just wanted to make that point. The other point I want to make. I want to toss to another bite because Angela was making a good point about talk to your people, talk to your community. So can we The New York Times did this like video kind of roundtable with white women voters, and Angela dropped it in our group chat and I took a listen, and I was a bit frustrated with the conversation. But these are small women who are now there are Republican white women voters in Arizona who are now voting for Vice President Harris.
Speaker 3: Take a listen.
Speaker 5: I consider myself an original Republican.
Speaker 9: We used to refer to Biden and Kamala in our houses the corpse and the cackler.
Speaker 8: I am a lifelong Republican, A smaller government in all lower taxes, you know, not intervening in our lives.
Speaker 5: I grew up in the Reagan era, and Reagan was a hero in my home, so he was my hero. I think in this day and age, you really can't say that if someone is pro choice, they must be liberal.
Speaker 10: Abortion is changing the Republican Party this election. Here in Arizona, almost a third of Republicans say they'll support Proposition one thirty nine, a state ballot measure that would make abortion legal until about twenty four weeks.
Speaker 5: I would say twenty years ago that definitely would not have been the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is my thoughts. I want to hear y'all stops on this.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I mean basically, they're just saying, you know, this is how always felt, and now I'm voting for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: So this is my challenge.
Speaker 1: I we are not so selfish a people that we can support something that's harming others.
Speaker 3: You know, like even as black people.
Speaker 1: We don't have family in Palestine, but we see what's going on there and we're like, no, we got to stand in solidarity and hold this administration accountable and push for people to do the right thing, push for a Vice President Harris when she becomes president elect, to do the right thing and call for a ceasefire. We don't have to have somebody in the LGBTQ community in our family to believe in equality and rights and that people deserve a right to safety. It really effing frustrates me that these group of white women, it's a whole pocket of conservative white women out there who live like this, who have helped create this landscape, who voted for Donald Trump in twenty sixteen and twenty twenty, But now that you're cannibalizing and Frankenstein has come for your rights, now all of a sudden, you are on this side and say, Okay, I'm going to vote for Vice President Harris. While I welcome their support, I hope that the conservative white women who are so disillusioned with themselves will take a moment and ask how often have I been on the wrong side of history and the wrong side of humanity just because something did not impact me personally? And I saw that video and I'm like, this is not my ally.
Speaker 3: Ain't none of these women in my ally?
Speaker 1: Like you gonna do the right thing this election? But I can't count on you if I got to rest my life in your hands. I'm real shaky right now, So I want I don't want to be in a bed exactly, I'm gonna tell you this. I don't want to be in a bed with them, I hear it.
Speaker 5: I want to know if they can just take them on to take stock of history and ask themselves, ask themselves this question, or let me ask you this question. Were you there? And if at every single turn when black folks, when underserved folks, when people who were voiceless and invisible and all of that in this country needed your help when we look back at history, were you there? And let me help some of y'all, because I know that history books are being banned in your kids' schools, and the history book that you learned from didn't actually paint an accurate picture. So let me answer it for you know you were not there that The answer now is will you be there? And the answer is yes, you can you show better because if you don't, you're at risk next. So you don't have to look out for me, Frankly, the good book tells you to. But you don't have to look out for me. Look out for your damn self and you will find that in looking out for yourself, you will end up looking out for your neighbor. Don't look out for the needs or the dreams that you have, look out for the needs you have. Be there. Figure out what it means to stand in the gap, not just for yourself, but for your neighbor. I know that it is hard. I know that you like to look back and reflect and say, Damn, what did I do. I know it was easy for you to donn a pussy hat and go to the women's march. I'm telling you I don't want your damn march. I'm gonna need you to show up.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: You can march to the post I November fifth, but if you find your ass marching in January somewhere, me and you're gonna have a talk and it ain't gonna be nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, you might call you baby, but we would love to call you all. So yeah, remember real qreaking, because I know that you want to get in here. But I do think they're helping pave the way for fascism. Yes, and so I want to play this quick bite that took place with charlottne and Vice President Harris, and then we'll pick this up on the other side of the break, Let's roll that clip.
Speaker 5: It's two very different visions for our nation.
Speaker 11: One mind that is about taking us forward and progress and it investing the American people, investing in their ambitions, dealing with their challenges, and the other, Donald Trump, is about taking us backward.
Speaker 4: The other is about fascism.
Speaker 7: Why can't we just say it.
Speaker 5: Yes, we can't say that.
Speaker 2: Well, come, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: No, you all are right about the political violence. I won that video y'all to show with the women was in part violence. I mean that whole corpse and cackle. I'm still kind of injured by that comment, and I would just say, just panthetically, and now I want to move us aggressively into this conversation or what's happening in political violence. And that's simply saying in twenty sixteen, I don't remember there being all the articles and stuff about fifty two percent of white women voting against a fellow white woman. So this whole setup to blame black men. I just want to check y'all before you go there. Not y'all, but y'all out there before you go there. When we start blaming every year the group that keeps quote betraying their like person, then I think we got some equity. But right now, to put this at the feet of any black woman or black man the loss or win of an election, we're not driving with that. We're the most loyal and we performed and talking about loyal y'all Trump's supporters are. This week has been crazy because one there's a gas lighting around political violence, like our rhetoric has been the reason for it. I just want to take a quick look back at what rhetoric looks like and who actually started the violence around political violent rhetoric in this day and age of elections. What was a clip?
Speaker 5: I certainly don't inside violence.
Speaker 4: Doctor crap out of them. I don't don't violence, and I don't talk about violence.
Speaker 6: I would have done well, but I would have been boom boom, boom up. I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself or if other people will. Maybe you should have been roughed up because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing. So if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of him, would you seriously like to punch him in the face. I'll tell you try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court. Don't worry about him. In the good old days, this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough and when they protested once, you know they would not do it again. So easily we've become weak, we become weak. The audience hit back, and that's what we need a little bit more of now. Part of the problem, and part of the reason it takes so long, is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore. Right, do you plan on paying for the legal fees of this older gentleman in North Carolina who sucker punched the protester. From what I understand, he was sick sticking a certain finger up in the air, and that is a terrible thing to do, and in front of somebody that frankly wants to see America made great again. It's possible you could help him with legal fees if this man needs it. I've actually instructed my people to look into it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, of course, detestable, hard to take. But that didn't even get to what he's been saying recently.
Speaker 1: In fact, say really quickly, what because for the people who are listening and not watching, that sucker punch moment was in twenty sixteen when one of his rally attendees literally sucker punts this black man who did have both of hiss in the air, who was leaving who And that is not illegal, that is not inciting any violence. He had his middle finger in the air justlike this, and an older white man punched him in the face.
Speaker 4: And that's where Trump says, I've instructed my staff to look into his legal defense, right. And then just this week, Trump has threatened his political enemy, saying that the enemies within, including Adam Schiff, a member of the US Congress in Kennedy for the US Senate out of California, was upon the list of domestic enemies to which he would direct, if president, the US military and the National Guard to handle to take care of, to remove his political enemies. Fascism, man, I wish it captured the totality of what this guy's doing, y'all. Simply my theory is, I think Trump has reckoned with the fact that he's likely not going to win the popular vote and won't win the electoral college, and he is setting the stage for what he wants his followers to do by way of turning over this election. Well, they got to set back in Georgia this week because the courts said a certification of the elections by the state Elections Board is not a choice, It is not an option, it is mandatory according to the constitution of the state of Georgia. That was an important win for US, and the judge went further in a separate court decision and said that hand counting ballots in this twenty twenty four election is too much. We are going to delay that decision till after the election. And I'll just say parenthetically, if there was a Section five of the Voting Rights a still intact, that effort to pass that law this close to the election would never have taken place, and a civil rights division of the US Attorney General's Office would have flagged this and basically said that this is electoral interference in an effort to suppress voters. I know y'all got to be alarmed, because I'm certainly concerned about what I think is the preface being set for what he wants his followers to do post election.
Speaker 1: Well, before you get into the legal stuff, I want to talk about the physical violence really quickly, because and I just want to point this out. The frustrating part of this is after he said the enemy within and talked about using the military, slew of his sycophants and supporters were across the cable news screen saying, no, that's not what he means, and he's being metaphorical. And then they asked Trump in an interview and he was very clear, No, that is what I mean.
Speaker 3: I am not for the least minute confused that.
Speaker 1: Of course, his sick of know that they are spitting in your face trying to convince you that is reigning. They know full well who this man is, and they are perfectly okay with him inciting this kind of violence because, like I said, they would rather see this country burn to the ground before they see a black woman run it. That is a frightening time the media that's talking about this, who are saying things like, oh, well, Trump's rhetoric has taken a dark tone. The fact that we're talking about it like this, instead of saying a man is pursuing office who is a threat to America and threatening Americans, is literally threatening violence and treating it like, oh, it's a dark tone.
Speaker 3: This is not a dark tone.
Speaker 1: He is telling you what he's going to do, so please spare me when this happens and everyone says, oh, but this is not American and we can't believe it's happened. He's telling you right now what he'll do. Angela, what you got?
Speaker 5: I want to well, I was gonna pivot to some of the legal stuff. There's a really good article in the USA Today that flags for us to watch certain counties. And these counties are all in battleground states. For those of you at home who are like, listen, all I do is cast my ballot, and I don't know the rest of this stuff. The most important thing to understand, regardless of the election is counties control the election results. Andrew, I know you know this firsthand and have experienced this firsthand. And so what I will say to you is we have been asleep at the switch. There have been folks that have been working to undermine the outcome of elections for many, many years in Republican state controlled legislatures. Some of these county boards, these commissions, they work to undermine some of these results. The three counties that this USA Today article points out is I don't know if I'm saying this right, but coach Iise County in Arizona, I might be saying it Wrongchise County in Arizona. If you can take a TIFFs version or just look it up when.
Speaker 1: We're going to think because I'm just thinking of the Native American. Yeah, I think it's okay, but I'm a defer to tip on that one.
Speaker 5: The next one is Fulton County, not in Georgia, Fulton County, Pennsylvania. And then the final one is Spaldon County, Georgia. Why is it important to look at this? There's a whole article talking about all of the ways that these counties have been in fights with their legislatures. The one in Pennsylvania, Fulton County in Pennsylvania. Maybe you guys remember hearing about dominion the voting machines. There's a whole battle to say that the Secretary of State doesn't have the authority to undermine the voting machines they used, even though there was a company that they were trying to use to audit what the dominion machines election results were turning out. What I'm trying to tell you is they will convince you that the reason there is a fight, the reason why people should get violent, is because there is fraud happening, and that folks were working to overturn what the actual results were. They have been trying to create situations that undermine the confidence in the voting processes, not just in these three counties, but these are three of the latest examples. So pay attention. If you all are in battleground states in particular, pay special attention. Google the names of your counties and see what kind of nonsense has probably been happening for over a decade. They've been mad about this since Barack Obama was the president. Okay, so pay attention. Yeah, of course, but I'm saying it was at a height alert after he became president. We saw voter id laws on the books. We saw the elimination of early voting days or cutting back of early voting days. We saw restrictions on absentee voting. All of those things happened after they found out America could elect a black president. So pay attention.
Speaker 4: That's right, and Angela, excellent points, both of you. I just want to mention the fall safe that we have some comfort around y'all, is that with the exception of maybe one or two states that every one of the battleground states has at least a Democratic governor or a Democratic secretary of state. In many of these battleground states they have both the state of Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, and the governor and the secretary of state of both the Republicans, but both have said that they will certify elections and follow the constitution of the state Minnesota, obviously, where the vice presidential nomine of the Democratic side, Tim Wallas is from Nevada, Pennsylvania, And I don't know, y'all, off is battleground, but after this next clip you may think so. The state of Texas, where they do not have a Democratic governor, they have a Republican governor and a Republican secretary of State, and they have done everything they can around voter suppression. But they also have a very interesting US Senate race that is tightening.
Speaker 8: Oh that was really something I have to say. You can't be for the mob on January sixth, and for the officers. You can't, and it's not funny because you're a threat to democracy. Sure, I was on the Senate, I was on the house floor when we went through the votes. I remember when you objected to the results in Arizona, y'all at home. I remember where you were on January sixth, what you were doing. I know where I was, and I know where he was. I remember when they told us to reach under our seats for these gas masks. I didn't know we had because they had deployed tear gas in the rotunda. The officers locked all the doors.
Speaker 12: We borrowed the doors.
Speaker 8: The President walks through to deliver the State of the Union with furniture that we usually use to hold paper. And I texted my wife Ally, he was seven months pregnant with our son Cameron, and at home with our son Jordan, who wasn't yet to whatever happens.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 8: I took off my suit jacket, and I was prepared to defend the house floor from the mob. At the same time, after he'd gone around the country lying about the election, after he'd been the architect of the attempt to overthrow that election. When that mob came, Sanata Cruz was hiding in a supply closet, and that's okay. I don't want him to get hurt by the mob, but I really don't. This election is his accountability. You cannot be just be patriotic when your side wins. If for the first time in two hundred and fifty years, this project of ours, this shared American project, and we did not have a peaceful transfer of power, the folks responsible have to be held accountable. That's why Liz Cheney has endorsement as it got involved in this campaign as saying to Texans everywhere, do not put Ted Cruz back in the position of authority, because he's done it once, he'll do it again.
Speaker 4: One that was I thought extremely brilliant and for those at home, that was just a clip from the debate that took place in the Texas US Senate race against Ted Cruz. That was Colin Congressman Colin Alwred who provided a brilliant response to Ted Cruz basically going on and on and on about I protect law enforcement and if you break the law, if you do violence, you should be arrested, and basically tried to have it both ways. You can't be for the January six folks, and also for law enforcement. They came in there and injured law enforcement. So the political violence that we've been talking about we cannot forget what happened on January sixth, and Congressman Alway was trying to remind the voters of Texas that this guy basically supported it in the overthrow. But that's the ladies, what I was getting.
Speaker 5: Out about House.
Speaker 4: Arizona, Arizona, Arizona. But but, but, but again, there are conditions in the US Constitution that will dictate what will happen this time next year, well January fifth or sixth next year, when the Congress comes back to Washington, d C. And all that we are seeing right now in the political climate being perpetuated by Donald Trump and his sickle fans is in my opinion, and I think it's one that shared is the setup. This is the lead up. Now we're now we're watching it with our eyes wide open. They were doing it last time, but we didn't. We didn't. I don't think any of us fathomed that it could have resulted in what what we saw on January sixth. But I believe this is the stoking of it again. And so if I know you, you had something on political violence as well.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: I just I'm glad that we just heard that clip because we have to keep reminding people what happened on January sixth. The attention span of the American electorate is like that, you know, and it's so and I think that's part of their strategy on the right right, you know, they sell they are agents of chaos. There are so many things. I always say, trying to cover Donald Trump was like trying to catch confetti. There was so much all the time. And if everything is breaking news, then nothing becomes breaking news. We're talking about the courts. That is political violence. We talked about, you know, voter suppression, that is political violence. But then it's just that fisticuffs, you know, that hand to hand combat, and that is a legitimate thing that causes me great concern. I will tell you guys, my personal concern about it is my brother is a truck driver and as this election has taken a turn, he has come face to face with verbal violence, threats of physical violence to him from other truck drivers, very racist comments on the cl from people. And it just frightens me, you know, because I'm like, my thought is, should Vice President Harris be victorious, which I believe that she will have we really won. You know, what happens the day after what happens after inauguration, what happens while she's in office when we have a significant amount of people in this country who've already decided we will not accept election results that we don't like. And so I know there are all these other things that are of concern, but I'm also literally concerned about just that fisticus, you know, like when somebody's I don't like this, I don't like you, and we may not be confronted with that. We may, but we may not be confronted with that. But it might be an attitude from the flight attendant, a pilot saying they feel threatened because we got on a KDH T shirt on the plane. It might result in our educators keep treating our students differently. It just feels like we're going back to a time where people are emboldened to be shitty to us and to invite confrontation from us.
Speaker 3: And I don't know where we go from here.
Speaker 4: I take your point, and I'd like to give you an example of it.
Speaker 13: There's signs branding him a divider, even a threat to America.
Speaker 14: Have you concerned that you might be choking more racial violence from no Dot.
Speaker 13: At are It's a question. He's faced for years, accused of fanning the fires of hatred.
Speaker 14: When you bash immigrants, when you bash refugees, when you say we want to put up a wall, when you say we want to ban all Muslims. It doesn't it's not responsible for it, but it does cause this cauldron.
Speaker 13: President Trump disagrees, well.
Speaker 6: I think my red arch is a very It brings people together.
Speaker 13: But does it the President and his words appearing in scores of police reports and courtrooms. After these two brothers beat a sleeping homeless man in Boston, one of them telling police Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported. The victim was in the country legally, and this Cleveland man attacked his African American neighbors with a knife and then tells police Donald Trump will fix them because they are scared of Donald Trump. And watch this video from Gainesville, Florida. A Latino man is working outside of his convenience store when he says a stranger suddenly bashes him in the head. Moments later, the victim describing the attack, bro I said this. After reviewing hundreds of police reports and court records from across the country, ABC News found more than fifty criminal cases where Donald Trump was explicitly invoked in relation to violent acts, threats, or alleged assaults.
Speaker 3: And it's frightened.
Speaker 4: There's the evidence that's frighten, so scared.
Speaker 1: I mean honestly, because how do you combat that? And I'll tell you what we've already been through as a people. And I'm so concerned because my brother suffers no fool, you know, like he he don't always make if somebody is confronting him, Yes, yes, he And I keep telling it's not worth it, like let them have a last every insult don't deserve a response, you know, let them have a last word. They're saying something. But I'm just so frightened. And I think about mothers out there who are frightened sending their kids to run to the grocery store and you get pulled over by a cop or you know, your babies are out in this world to be subjected to that treatment, or are y'all my co hosts, our friends, our physical person can be confronted by these people. And I really, I don't know, guys, I really the Civil War did not begin with the first bayonet shot or whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The Civil War started well before that, and it feels like we are in that kind of environment. I mean, I don't know if y'all willy.
Speaker 4: That he's stoking. This is exactly what he's stoking in. This is exactly what he wants us to feel. And you know what, y'all, I can't wait to if we ever get there again, go back to the days where elections actually solved election issues resolve them, rather than it being one stage in the process and the next stage being can we survive a peaceful transfer of power? Yeah, we didn't never have this question, including by the way, during Lincoln's first election. We can have these questions until Donald Trump decided he was going to parrot to example what it meant to have a violent transfer of power in America. And now he is. He is. He is, in my opinion, foaming for stage two of it. But y'all, we gotta win stage one first. No, I believe we will prevail in stage two, but we got to We've got to win stage one, and that's us getting out and voting overwhelmingly for our choice for president.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about like that as we were watching that video and listening to it. For those of you who are listening about all the violent attacks. I really was thinking about when I was driving to my Wilberforest University board meeting last week and all the Trump signs I was seen, and when I was on the phone, I was on the phone my best friend and I started because I was so upset. I was like, I cannot believe these people. And I know I'm in Ohio right like it's the back roads of Ohio, Like I know what I'm up against, but it was so triggering. And then the very next day when I got to New York, I saw this man. I was going to meet with our friend Alicia, and this man walked back and forth in front of me three times. We're going to make America great again hat and I literally felt that same rage, but I was tense, like bracing because I was afraid, Like I was like, what if he recognizes me? Why does he keep walking right back and forth? It was right by the Tiger tiff. He walked back and forth three times. The first two times it was just me. Then when Alisi was there was one more time and I was asking Alisa, I was like, what is he doing? And I think, really this, I think this is what it is. I'm afraid of what they do when they see other. I don't know. I think that what I was bracing for is, you know, what happens when they see me driving. They don't know anything about me, But what we do know about Trump supporters is that other is not welcome. And I think that there is this bracing for violence, bracing for some type of verbal assault, bracing for some type of altercation. I'm like, I have had on Kamala stuff going through the airport. What do they do when they see that?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: Like, it's not like colors and signs and gangs, Like what is the drive by for? You know? And I really think that it is fascinating. And they've got to come to terms with the fact that they are just standing up for someone who is, you know, who wrote their name on a stimulus check. They aren't just standing up for someone who supported and pushed forth billionaire tax cuts, even to the detriment of the national deficit in this country. This isn't someone who just coddled up and cozied up to world dictators, including Vladimir Putin. Is being played like a fiddle by them. But it's too dumb to realize it. This is someone who also used the full strength of his bully pulpit to support indoors, condone and and push forth violence. So yeah, like, pardon me for being concerned and a little afraid, but like, if we got to throw these things, I'm ready. But I'm like, I really don't want you to run a bond me because my ass going to jail you.
Speaker 4: And that's the danger and that's and that's the danger of the damn. What they met before was a civilized person prepared to meet you, meet your dog, you know, underground beneath the earth self with civilization. Now this next time, you might not meet the civilized version of me. And I think that's the damn breaking is that they're folks who are prepared to defend democracy, defend the constitutional election, theself CaMLA Harris is the next president thing, and are willing well, of course, protect themselves and the people who are around them.
Speaker 3: My family, you ain't gonna meet.
Speaker 4: You ain't gonna meet civilizations.
Speaker 1: So don't get it to us that my life is if you approaching me, I'm gonna assume my life is. If you're approaching one of my friends, I gotta assume their life is in danger, and if you approaching somebody who looks like me, you approaching us because I can't leave anybody behind either, right right, Yeah, this.
Speaker 4: Question we're about to take.
Speaker 9: Hey, Native Lampard, this is Nikki from Brooklyn. Thank you guys for all of the work that you do. Your podcast is amazing. I have a minor request. So I know that the focus is the presidency, which it should be, but I also heard that there are a ton of seats that are up for reelection in the Senate. Could you guys do an episode on those seats that are up and the Democratic and progressive candidates that are on the ticket, and who you think we should vote for in those seats. I think that'll be super duper helpful. Everyone is just like laser focus on the presidency, which is super important, but I think keeping the Senate is also super important, just in case the orange grye lens.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Bye Uh. That's such a good question. I hate the thought, but yes, that is a good question. Angel. I think we should accept that challenge and dive deep on some of those Senate races. Let's take it could be yeah, let's take let's take the clip we saw earlier with Colin uh Alred where we see in the state of Texas a remarkably close race. Yeah, that's unveloping. Unveloping there, and I would add to it. While we won't be able to do the deep drive on each of the Senate races in this episode at this moment, that we also ought to include some of these house seats that are looking vulnerable and stand in the way of Hi Kim Jeffreys speakership, which I think all of us are rooting for, and I think we got to get real real about what the possibilities are in that, especially if if Kamala Harris wins, what kind of support she can look forward to getting her legislation.
Speaker 5: If I can, I just I want to tap into some of these though. There's one race in particular that we hadn't been talking about in Indiana. It was flagged for us by a viewer in our DMS, and there's a black woman running in Indiana almost has received no attention, I think in part because they decided that it's gonna lean solidly Republican. I also want to flag for you all this tex this Texas race with Senator Ted Cruz and Congressman Colin already that we played earlier. I think Colin has a really good chance. The other thing is there is a Michigan race where it's open, it's a toss up by most polls. Shared Brown, who is a has a has a tremendous legacy in the Senate and has been in office for a long time. His seat is a toss up. Uh Tammy Baldwin and Wisconsin they're saying her seat is a toss up. So all of these are important for you all to get out and vote for them. And then in Montana, maybe we got some black listeners in Montana, maybe we got some white folks high white people in Montana. John Tester is also at risk. So I would flag all of those. And then Reuben Diego's I think is looking good in Arizona. They said that that leans democratic, and so is Jackie Roseen in Nevada. So there are some others, but I just those.
Speaker 3: Are the ones you talk about. Alsin Brooks, oh.
Speaker 5: Angela, also Brooks and Maryland. We need that for history, and we also do not want to lose Maryland because we don't want to give that to Larry Hogan, who's of course the past governor and then lastly, and certainly not least, is Lisa Blood Rochester in Delaware. That is likely. I think she is too, but I just want to make sure we know that would also be a history making seat. So even if you're not in Delaware, make sure you lift up those two black women who would be joining the Senate ranks only to become the fourth and fifth black people in the Senate right now. That's Angela, also Brooks and Maryland and Lisa Bloin Rochester.
Speaker 4: Angela just did that.
Speaker 1: In what point she's the if Angela also Brooks, some Lisa Blunt Rochester, when they would be the only two black women in the Senate right now we have none. This woman in Indiana when that viewer of flat we met her somewhere. I think we were at Essence Festival when we met her and took a picture and then she sent us that DM. I'll be honest, I had never heard of the woman running in Indiana. And I think the reason why, and this is something else that we have to disrupt, is the donor class is largely white and male. They have been able to decide who they think is a viable candidate.
Speaker 3: But just consider if.
Speaker 1: They are the if they are deputizing themselves as the gatekeepers of who will advance. They did that in Florida, and they had already decided that this white woman was a Democratic apparent, the heir apparent to be the Democratic nominee. The mainstream media had talked about that when we all knew, you know, that Andrew was gaining numbers there and you know, arguably, inarguably some would say one that that that race. But you know, certain sides have a propensity for meddling in elections. I know you get tired of hearing about it, Andrew, No no, no, I mean comments all the time like Andrew one I voted for you and they.
Speaker 4: But the point you're making is essential, which is how who is the screener that that, you know, how they say you sift out, you sift that who is what? Who is the sifter made of? And the sifter is oftentimes made of people who do not share our lived experience, who don't know what it's like one day or the week to live like a regular person, and they're choosing the people who give them comfort. Yeah, and so we we we've got to be a mindful of that. But that's what I say really quick post this side.
Speaker 5: Sorry, because this would be a third black woman in the Senate if we are able to help Valerie McCrae, that is the woman in Indiana. I wanted to make sure I got her name right. We have asked her to send in a video so that we can play it our native lampid. Of course, doctor McCray, because she is a PhD as well, you are welcome to send that in at any point before the elect We would love to hear more from you in your platform. I do think that it is time out for the d SCC to have the stranglehold that it has on these races. They normally decide that black people in areas that are not completely blue, and even in those instances, that they are not worth funding. And I think that that has got to shift. There are black people in there that want it to change, but they need more support so that, you know, hopefully when Hakem is the Speaker of the House, he can you know, add a thumb to that scale. It has to change, and it needs to change. Yesterday, we don't know what would have happened if this very clearly educated black woman who is from Indiana would have been given a shot just with some additional resources, what could have happened. But miracles do happen, So let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: Before let's audience.
Speaker 1: But the SCC is the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Minimum Committee, who you know, is the campaign arm of the upper chamber in Congress, the Senate. And then you have you'll hear us sometimes reference the D trip or the D triple C, and that is the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which is the campaign arm of the lower chamber in Congress, the House.
Speaker 4: So and between those two committees the biggest donors to the Senate and House races, respectively. That they deem to be competitive.
Speaker 1: And they have a whole staff of people, they issue contracts to people. So this is why we're saying you, I understand there's a lot of frustration in the system, but you do have to participate in the system, even if your intention is to disrupt it, to understand it and then hold that door open and bring in other people so that our American political landscape can actually reflect America for the first time.
Speaker 4: So, Angela, you're taking us to us region.
Speaker 5: Now it's time to say goodbye to all my negro ference. That is so said.
Speaker 10: In.
Speaker 5: Uh, yeah, Andrew, Noah, have mercy you know you know? Oh okay, yeah, okay, I didn't. Either way, y'all will never know. Here's what I want to talk about. For those of you who do know those of you don't. It is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Last October. Uh my mother turned eighty and with her eightieth birthday, she also found a lump in her breast. A couple of weeks later, which would be my birthday. We were told that it was the after the biopsy attested positive for cancer. She at that time had between stage two and stage three triple negative breast cancer. My mom is a no limit soldier, okay, because as we sit here today, she is breast cancer free. But why I wanted to cancer free period? But what I wanted to bring that story up you all is because she was on Facebook. My dad calls her Facebook Fanny because she's on there quite a bit. She was on Facebook and one of her friends, her former OBGYN doctor Anita Connell, had posted during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month to make sure that you're doing your self check exams, that you're getting your mammograms, And my mom did a self check and felt something strange. So my mom was immediately responsive. She doesn't play about her health. We don't know how long it had been there, but she got that reminder from doctor Connell last year and she checked. I'm telling you all right now, n lp fam, I want to be accountable to you. I'm overdue for my mammogram. My birthday present to myself this month, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, will be to go and get a mammogram, and I will be accountable to you all in that way. I ask you to join me in doing that, and tell the women in your lives to please make sure they go and get checked as well. Do those self exams in the shower that feel weird where everything feels lumpy, do that too, But get those mammograms and get them on time, and make.
Speaker 1: Sure that you look and see how to do it. Because if you have like dense breasts, you know, like you can feel stuff in there and just like a two finger meant.
Speaker 3: It that you do.
Speaker 1: And so I don't know if I ever told you this, but I also felt a lump when I well, first of all, let me say we love MAMARII.
Speaker 3: Y'all got to beat mam Mariah.
Speaker 1: On the show when they came to get their tickets during the Congressional Black Caucus play the Congress Yes, and she looks so amazing and they're so go to Angela's Instagram because there's so many pictures. My favorite picture of you and your mom is when you're fixing her shoe.
Speaker 3: At the ALC dinner.
Speaker 1: But her mom is so beautiful and so sweet. So mamauraih, we love you and happy that you were still with us. I gave myself an exam and felt a lump and I'm just kind of ignorant about my body, to be honest, I didn't know all of it. And so they said, oh, we need to do a biopsy, and I'm like, oh, okay. I didn't know what that meant. I thought like, okay, you're gonna rub my nibble with a Q tip or something like. I don't know what that meant. So when I got there and I had to like undress and she like bought out.
Speaker 3: A needle.
Speaker 1: Where it's the needle going, and so they took a biopsy. It turned out to be nothing. It was like some like mindless cysts, and they put something in there so in case I feel something again, they'll know, Oh that's what that is. It's no worries, but the fact that I just had no clue. It was fine, I got it checked out, It's okay. But we are so quick to dismiss our own health and favor of other people. We are so quick to normalize our own pain, and sometimes our doctors are so quick to dismiss our pain. So if you feel something and you want to be checked out, and you ask your doctor, well, I want this, they say, oh, that's not necessary, you don't need that test. Always say well, do you mind just putting that in writing? So when my family asked about it, I want to be able to say what you did, because when you ask a doctor to put something in writing.
Speaker 3: They get real nervous.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, so, and you have every right as a patient to say, yeah, can you shoot that to me in an email before you leave? You want that in writing while you're not getting the test. But I love that CTA and we're blessed to have Mama Ray deal with us. Andrew was just CTA.
Speaker 4: Well, I just want to I love that ct as well. And I just wanted to reference some CNN host Sarah Sidner. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sarah.
Speaker 4: Sarah Sidner did sit down with two of her best friends names that we will know. I know. One was a list who remember yep seen some which we remember of some of us back in the day, and I thought it was very powerful. Also also a CNN. I don't know if she's the host or a contributor, but either way, reporter beautiful but also heart wrenching and devastating and made me lift all three of them in prayer simultaneously and watching their stories about breast cancer. I think all three of the stories were that they founded through self examinations, which is I believe not necessarily recommended uh in the medical community as much anymore than when you come men and get those exams and.
Speaker 5: Real quick.
Speaker 4: It's in the story that I looked at from them yesterday that wasn't not true.
Speaker 5: Scourage you to do self exams, that's not the only kind of exam. Every year, we should get annual physicals, and during those annual physicals you do them as well. But they tell you to regularly self check.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I apologize for that, I miss I misheard it. But the annual example is what I was referring to with your doctors. But but but anyway, my point was to say it was a beautiful, uh example of sisterhood the way they held each other. Obviously devastating to see all three of those women going through what they're going through, but I lift them all in prayer and all of you who are fighting similar battles. My only CTA is to invite those folks in the cities that we are visiting upcoming come out see us, check us out, check out the show, and help us grow. Continue to help us grow so that as a community we continue to write.
Speaker 3: I love that We'll see you in the day twat.
Speaker 1: My only CTA is inspired by Angela's Just imagine going about your life. Everything is fine, you stressed out over things, you mad about something, and then you get a diagnosis, then you start feeling unwell, like it is such a blessing to have your health, all the things that stress us out, and then one day.
Speaker 3: Your entire world is rocked.
Speaker 1: I have a friend whose wife was diagnosed with brain tumors. I've lost people in life, So just take a moment to appreciate your health and maintain your health. Our body is our temper. So yes, that is my only CTA, and we will see you Saturday in the day. Ty if you all have recommendations and this is serious on where we need to go eat in the day, twat let us know. I know Angela want me to say, we want to support some black arms. Oh way, business is there? You'll drop your black owned restaurants in Detroit where we need to go eat while we're there. And then do we want to tell where else we're gonna be or we want to wait on that?
Speaker 5: Well, there's actually a graphic up already on social We will be in Atlanta next week for spell House Homecoming NFL House as an honorary rattler and the main rat right, we're gonna be a fam you and of course we're we're waiting, but we may be coming to another city near you right before election Day and we'll be broadcasting live Election Day for what we believe will be a historical night.
Speaker 1: And I'm excited to see our friend Albert at spell House Homecoming. I'm only saying that because he always says, don't reference me, don't mention my name on your podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm just being.
Speaker 5: Hey, Alberbert. Oh, I'm really about to tell it all because Albert I also told that you need to be at some of these events because you are a former member of the White House Council's office. If there was anybody that could talk to us about how to preserve voting rights, ensure that people's voting rights are protected and that they know their rights from an election protection standpoint, it is you, good brother. So take my challenge is love.
Speaker 12: Albert.
Speaker 15: Yes, Albert standers at the at the National Basketball Association, he.
Speaker 5: Was at the White House Council IOUs, used to work for the city he worked at. I'm telling all this business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all, that's our boy. We're proud of you. So don't don't be texting us and getting no attitude.
Speaker 4: Text me everybody, especially at Albert.
Speaker 1: Well, before we in the show, I just want to remind everyone to leave us a review and please subscribe to Native Lampard.
Speaker 3: We're available on all platforms.
Speaker 1: In YouTube, I'll tell y'all, I'll be up late looking at the YouTube comments and I see y'all always say y'all, don't never shout out YouTube, shout out YouTube. We see y'all next time. I'll remember your names, your handles to shout you out. But I haven't seen those comments, so We do appreciate you all. As you know, episodes drop every Thursday. You can follow us on social media. We have mini pods episodes that drop every Monday, which we're about to do right now.
Speaker 3: We are your.
Speaker 1: Hosts, Tiffany Cross, Angelour Andrew Gilliam.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There are nineteen days until Jesus do something.
Speaker 12: Thank you for joining the Natives.
Speaker 16: Attention to what the info and all of the latest rock Gillim and Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials.
Speaker 12: Thank you sincerely for the patients.
Speaker 16: Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful it took the execute roads than for serve, defend and protect the truth even in pace.
Speaker 12: We welcome home to all of the Natives. We thank you.
Speaker 5: Welcome y'all.
Speaker 3: Welcome Native Land pod is.
Speaker 1: It's the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.