Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Miles.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a writer, producer, host, behind Vogues, Breathless column Sledever on Viceland, Stars is Now Apocalypse, and the new podcast Sanctum on Mask. Please welcome to this show, Cartly Shortinaarl.
Speaker 3: So much. I'm honored to be on the pod, honestly.
Speaker 1: Oh honored to have you honor us with your presence.
Speaker 2: What's good? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm great. I just walked my jog. Now I'm sitting here my house. You know, being a writer, this is what being a writer.
Speaker 1: Is, I think, just sitting at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what part of what part of the Where are you at? What part of earth are you coming to us from?
Speaker 3: I recently moved to Laurel Canyon. Where do you guys live?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My address is one one two zero one Street. That's right. I'm right there, Yeah, I'm right there in the valley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I lived in the valley for a long time. I'm close. I'm close.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: I missed like I like the big parking lots, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, parking is you know, that's the thing we've got.
Speaker 4: We're not fighting over parking spots, and we never have that thing where we're put off by going somewhere in the valley because there's no parking. People are just usually put off by coming to the valley in general. Sadly, but this is my home.
Speaker 1: And Carly, your new show is about a LA based sex club. It's about l a about the sanctum which is not spelled leg gets pronounced. But yeah, is a really really cool story. Eyes Wide Shut was real there for a number of years.
Speaker 3: Basically. Yes, So it's about this sex club called Sang Dam which launched in twenty thirteen, and it was this this guy, Damon Wanner, was a million dollars in debt. He watched It's the classic story. He was up late one night, couldn't sleep, watched Eyes Wide Shot. You know the iconic sex team, the Illuminati Sex Party. Have you ever seen it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, baby did a bad, bad thing that was in the trailer I remember for yes, that was.
Speaker 1: Just that one singular icy piano key. This is how I wake my children up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The day has begun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's he watched that and he was like, that would be cool if that existed. You know, there's like all these terrifying powerful men like wearing masks, sleeping with models and with like weird ominous chanting in the background, like maybe I should make that exist. And then he actually did it. And I mean at the club's peak in twenty sixteen, the most expensive yearly membership was four hundred and twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 1: So it's just got out of debt. Got out of that million dollars a debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like billionaires and celebrities like LARPing, Game of Thrones, like blood Oats, Initiation, ritual sex party, Beverly Hills, Hollywood messiness. If you're in that, that's the long line.
Speaker 4: No, that's you got my attention. Anytime it's people LARPing that kind of wild suit. It's always interesting to see people like act out whatever weird sordid fantasies they have in their minds and like fully come I mean not insane like, and that's great for them.
Speaker 2: I love that for them. But yeah, we'll billionaires go LARPing.
Speaker 1: People get hurt usually, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we're LARPing. This film the most dangerous game. Would you like to come out to my island that I own for the weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's cool.
Speaker 1: It's crazy story or we're thrilled to have you. People should go check it out. What is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: All right, I'm gonna take you guys on a journey here because the search history that I have here is the end of my journey. But I want to see if you guys can get there with me. So I'm going to sing you a tune right now, and I want you to tell me if you know it off the top of your head. Okay, yeah, mm hmm boo do Do Do Do Do Do Do doo.
Speaker 2: Baby elephant Walk.
Speaker 5: Fucking nailed that ship, well done. I had that tune stuck in my head the other day. Couldn't remember what it was called, and.
Speaker 4: So Dan podcast, okay, with nothing to do except no useless shit like that song is.
Speaker 2: Called baby Elephant Walk.
Speaker 5: Now, now, not to call you out, but Jack did you know that off the top of your head.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I I was getting there. I was like the first step on a one hundred step journey to getting there, and I was not all the way there.
Speaker 5: So here's the here's the journey I took via Google Search to find that song. Yeah, classic honky honk type songs, wrong honky to I don't think of that as exactly wrong. That classic song that has flute and horns also wrong. Song from Austin Powers was not in that movie. Now here's where I took a lot. I totally thought it was though. I was like, yeah, that's right. Was a song walking through City?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: In my head, I was like, I feel like walk is in the name of the song or something like that, And I was right. I was close. But song walking through City not helpful. And then we get to my actual search Shazam you can sing into because I was so tired of doing this bullshit that I was like, I just have to solve this by someone telling me what it is, and Shazam is insufficient for that. Now, did you guys know that the Google app will let you sing into it and it will find the song?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: So it worked. It worked.
Speaker 5: I sang into Google and the first thing that came up baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini. There it is what humbled me a little bit was that it said, act you're a little pitchy, Doug twelve percent.
Speaker 2: Twelve percent.
Speaker 5: I was like, I mean, I appreciate you getting it, but you did not have to drag me like that.
Speaker 1: Twelve You're kind of all over the place. You're all over the map here with your pitch. But I can tell that this is what you're doing. Just don't do that in front of anybody with my note. Oh yeah, I think my man did the pink Panther theme too.
Speaker 2: Oh oh wow, that's right. Yeah, good call. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, shazam, you can sing into and gang. If you're like me and you have a tune stuck in your head, just pull up that baby girl Google and sing right into her and then boom, you got yourself baby baby else walk.
Speaker 2: You could have just called me man. You could have just called me man.
Speaker 5: No, I could You're right, I could have, And maybe That's what I'll do from now on instead of to Google.
Speaker 4: So there was a dram when I like was so into those like just songs that you hear all the time, but didn't know what they were called. And like, well, back in the early days of iTunes, I had a playlist with all like those those weird tracks on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And a lot of Herb Albert tracks are on there too, because like there's the songs you kind of hear, like, wait, what is this one? What are some of the Herb Albert like in the Tiajuana brass, like Zorba the Greek?
Speaker 2: Do you want to tack? I feel like I'm in that.
Speaker 1: Uh. I think you should leave sketch with Hedacre oh man. Also the brass with a crank in it. Also do the the thing that is from a Biggie Biggie Biggie hypnotized rise that sample.
Speaker 2: Uh huh that's Herb Alpert. That's Herb Alpert. Yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Anyway, so I know that I'm I'm yeah, I was really into that kind of And when you said song with horns and the flude, I said the intro of Tears.
Speaker 2: Of a Clown. They anyway got smoky on the brain.
Speaker 1: What where is that song from the Baby Elephant Walk?
Speaker 2: Like? Where where would people have recognized it?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I look it up?
Speaker 5: It was actually in an episode of The Simpsons, in the Dance and Homer episode. Yeah, but it was from some it was it was written for some movie that I can't remember right now, because when I looked it up, I saw the Homer thing and I was like, that's where I must have remembered.
Speaker 2: It from Hatari, the nineteen sixty two film.
Speaker 5: There you go that I undoubtedly have seen hundreds of times.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I have not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I knew it from like The Simpsons and then just it being like throwaway music that people use.
Speaker 6: For like comedic bits exactly. Okay, that and Spanish fille per Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know that one. That's like the whole music when they like when like something goes wrong in the show and then they like to like we'll be right.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Binga, what is what something you think is overrated?
Speaker 7: The British monarchy?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, what not?
Speaker 1: On this podcast, we are a monarchist, We are royal watchers.
Speaker 2: We love them King Chuck aye a I as we call them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The interesting thing is, and I'm asking both of you this because I'm confused. Sure, as far as I know, America fought a bloody war to separate itself from the British monarchy. But American media, American public is obsessed, obsessed, Yeah, and I don't get it why because honestly, I mean, monarchy is what racism on steroids and are still so intrigued by it?
Speaker 1: Right, just answered your own question, racism on steroids and out in the open and with fancy stuff.
Speaker 2: America.
Speaker 1: Racism loves money and you know.
Speaker 4: Loves yeah, and loves like just terribly concentrated power in the hands of a very interesting looking group of people.
Speaker 1: Billionaires. They love, billionaires who didn't do shit to get their money and just pretending that they did. So it kind of fits. But yeah, I oh.
Speaker 7: Okay, not in your sense. It's all coming together, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also there's like just this romanticism I think of like just being like, oh, like like Americans feel like that's the fancy for like something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's like an aspirational aspect to it, I think too, in this weird way from like it's classy to think that the king, like the monarchy is cool versus Joe Biden or something.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's to each their own, I mean, I definitely.
Speaker 7: I mean when I think of them. I think of I don't know, loot told yeah, and people who invaded the self content and basically took everything away. So I have myloneal hangle. I can't get over that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, No, I think most most American people, I mean I think who are like savvy when it comes to history, Like yeah, I mean like, I mean, if anything, they taught us how to be the empire we are today in the United States, and we just iterated on what we learned from the English, I guess, but yeah, it's the thing.
Speaker 7: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: No, I think not at all. It's the worst fucking thing ever.
Speaker 4: And I think it's only I look at we were saying yesterday when we looked at a picture of Charles during the coronation. I'm like, if you could like assign like a human scream value to each jewel and piece of gold or fur that adorned his body, how many screams worth of shit was he wearing?
Speaker 2: Because it has to be in like the trillions.
Speaker 1: That's what gives him the power though, And.
Speaker 4: I think I think, like for me, that's when I look at those things, all I see is pain, Like I'm like, this is it's like you mind that gold or those emeralds or things like that. This sh it's still and in fact, how many like former colonies are.
Speaker 2: Like we want our ship back, yeah, but we do give us Yeah exactly, it's still still.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He does make it all look a few clicks more ridiculous than any king that I've witnessed before. I haven't witnessed that many kings, but like he puts the lie to the whole thing and like just makes the monarchy look bad. So I will say, in that respect, I'm glad that he's the king because he just is like this palladi old man who's just like, I want my life.
Speaker 2: This blasted pen.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, but I do see this narrative about good monarchs and bad monarchs, and I really don't buy it because anybody who's benefiting from the institution itself is part of perpetuating that, you know, harmful bad So I don't give a fuck if it's like a good monarch or bad monarch, that all monarchs and they're benefiting from it. I mean Prince Harry, good for him. I mean I do feel bad for him in some ways, but to be honest, heartache, I don't feel bad for them either.
Speaker 2: He's doing all right. He's got that monarch guilt creeping in. But yeah, you know, it's like.
Speaker 4: The same way of like, you can't be a US president and not be a war criminal, right, you know what I mean? And it's at the end of the day, were like, oh what about him? Like, no, also war criminal? Actually yeah, look up? Look up what was done under their command? No one gets out of here, Scott Free.
Speaker 2: What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Okay, so this show, I don't know if it's underrated. I just think it's like underappreciated Underwatch. There's this show that I think is the special Intellvision. It's called Couple Therapy. Have you ever heard of.
Speaker 2: It VH one?
Speaker 3: On VH one, No, it's it's on Showtime Hulu.
Speaker 2: Oh there was a VH one show. It is a reality show called Couple's Therapy.
Speaker 4: I feel like back in the day, that's when I was like, yeah, that shit was wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty twelve is whenever season came out of that shit.
Speaker 3: Really, So it's basically that that's what it is. It's it's couples in Therapy. It is yes, and it is fucking insane, So it's like you think it will be. It's basically the way it's shot is it doesn't feel like it's like a documentary not a reality show, because it's these couples go in, there's a therapist, and it just for them. They're just walking into a regular therapist office. All the cameras are hit. They know they're they've agreed to be filmed, but all the cameras are hidden, like in the wall and the lamp and the desk, so they now you know, when you can just tell people are aware of the camera and you watch reality shows like these people never interact with a camera and the whole process of filming, so they really do kind of forget. And it's so fucking riveting because you just start to realize like everybody has the same problems, Like we all have the same issues, every couple is the same, so you kind of feel like you're in therapy. But I've touch a couples who've watched it together and they're like, it's triggering, So I say warning.
Speaker 2: And it's triggering.
Speaker 4: And we've also never gone to couples therapy, so we're gonna avoid this show to bring any awareness to our relationship.
Speaker 2: Why would you need to you got the Showtime show a couple of my health regimen.
Speaker 4: Every day I lift my leg above my head, I watch one episode of Couples Therapy, and I'm good. It's every bet Every single couple's problem is probably reduced down to this. People not voicing their needs and then letting that fester and then it manifesting into other issues because of a lack of communication. I feel like that's one of the biggest problems most couples experienced for like a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, wow, it's well put like condensed. Yeah, I mean it's true or yeah, or like suppressing. And also I think like lack of self examination for some So it's like, what is that quote where it's like, the unexamined.
Speaker 2: Life is not worth living.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something like unexamined. It's something like the unexamined, unexamined issues like become the puppeteer of your life. That's not what it is. But it's some young end quote where it's like, if you don't process something, it will actually just control you when you won't realize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: That fortually that is not a problem I deal with, the only problem ideal with. I'm always yelling nothing's wrong, Everything's fine. Why does everybody keep asking me that? But I'm good over here. So yeah, I don't need therapy of any sort.
Speaker 4: Well, like, it becomes a problem if you dwell on it. That's I keep telling my mom. I keep thinking about it, then it is a problem.
Speaker 2: Don't you see that? Oh geez, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just trying to manifest here by ignoring my problems. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about Fox News. And we're back. And there's been a lot of crimes that have happened in the past week. You know, Jordan Neely was murdered by a white man, and then a mass shooter who was an avowed Nazi with like Nazi tattoos went on a killing spree in Dallas, and the right has chosen to like greet this by saying that it's like unfair that we're talking about it when it happens.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's just like this really terribly bad faith argument that they're saying, Like the Libs are reaching by saying the Dallas shooter was a Nazi. That's just that's what they say about everyone. Oh my god, everyone's a Nazi. That's just what they say about everyone. But like, sadly, even the most casual look at this person's social media would confirm that he was in fact a white supremacist like hyl Hitler ing neo Nazi, and even made a post where he was explaining his own beliefs despite his perceived ethnic identity, because many people were like, there's no way someone with a Hispanic last name could be a white supremacist. What are you guys going on about. That's impossible. You have to be white to be a white supremacist. And I just I'll throw some names out for people who are up on you know, the really gross figures on the right. How about Enrique Tario that had a proud voice. Okay, he's a Cuban American, but he's also a white supremacist. You also have Nick Fuentes who's also has met up with Donald Trump many times and was courting Kanye West, and just like the grossest parts of the internet, white supremacist. So just it does it does my head in Okay, as the English say, because first of all, whiteness is a fucking social construct that has shifted over centuries, you know, like you can even look at there was a thread from this professor I want Kathleen Belou who even pointed out, like how much the race box on the US Census has like shifted over time, and how like it's not just white or whatever. If you go back to nineteen ten, it's just saying like color or race was the box it said there were no other categories, or even in the eighteen ninety it says whether white, black, mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, we don't use these terms as all. Yeah, Chinese Japanese are Indian, and overtime these things shift. And so to this idea of like, because this person isn't a like I guess you know, the aryan type of variety of white person is. Maybe what they're thinking has to that's the standard to be a quote unquote white supremacist. They're completely missing the point. And I think because most Americans would most likely look at this toy like black or brown versus white lens, whereas like places in South America have very different ideas of what whiteness is or who a person of color is. It's like, are the white people those that descend from the Iberians that colonize the land and the people of color, the indigenous, and that's how they began to you know, separate like on those kinds of racial lines of class, et cetera. And again, you look in Texas and the Southwest in general the United States, you have a lot of people who have last names that are Hispanic who might not see themselves as people of color, and some might see themselves as just downright Nazis. So at the end of the day, the ideology kind of like in its current state, isn't based on the purest sense of like aryan supremacy that they're thinking of, like Hitler's master race kind of thing. But it's just a it attracts people because it's a violent system of power that targets women, Jews, trans people, Muslims, whoever who is not outside of like the deemed hegemonic class or whatever. And you know, the murderer's post confirm all of this, like he was aligned with all of these beliefs, and.
Speaker 7: His white supremacy is on full display through his stattooes. So I was like, yeah, what the heck, Like you could tell that this guy is hardcore white supremacist. And you're absolutely right about this ideology being internalized by other races as well, especially in America, because it lends itself to approximation to whiteness and where you stand in this society, because America is obsessed, obsessed with race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but won't admit it to themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course. Oh we're past that. We're past that.
Speaker 1: But it is wild to see because it's just that they are just telling on themselves that they think of race as a genetic like differentiator and not a social construct used to discriminate and economically exploit people like they are like, well, he has a last name and because of the one drop rule that we all adopted after the Civil War. Wait, we didn't all adopt that. That was just me and the people in the back room where I make the decisions about the society.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: It's fucking wild to.
Speaker 4: Your point, Saudi, about for all of those who are like, I don't know if he's a Nazi. He couldn't have more Nazi tattoos if you'd even tried. I guess he could have had mind komf tatted in its entirety on his body. But ss bolts and a swastika. There's no there's no ambiguity about it. And again, this is just their bad faith argument because they can't really argue anything on the merits because it's all about obscuring the existence of this, like the the heavy hand of white supremacy that looms over everything in this country.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, no, that's not how its doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Said you were saying, how this ideology even a tracks people of other races and cultures. You know, he posted a meme that basically said, like, when you're Hispanic, like, it's like a fork in the road, and on one side it says act black and the other said, become a white supremacist. And that just kind of shows you what his entire worldview is of what your perceived options are, if there's even such an idea of options for how you live your life. But that was his very specific worldview, that was that was the shooter. That was the shooter, Yeah posted.
Speaker 1: I actually couldn't tell if that was the shooter or Elon Musk. That's where we're at at this point.
Speaker 2: No truly, and I mean he was also parroting the same thing.
Speaker 4: It was like, well, I much like really but again fine, like this is this is why he bought the website to bring even more nonsense and misinformation to the masses and normalize that.
Speaker 1: It's really like getting to a point where it's systematic. He's doing it frequently, constantly, and just in the most bad faith way as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But what's worse is that a lot of people in America will buy into the narratives, whether they're coming from Republicans or Elon Musk. And that's more problematic than anything else. Right, Why are people buying into it yet? Because they want to maintain their racial hierarchy. It's as simply as not. There's nothing else to it, right, I mean, yeah, oversimplified, But one of the major reasons why people are so hung up on these narratives and they don't want to let go is because they don't want to give up on their racial hierarchy, whatever form it takes, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Because it's like, well, at least I have that I have no world yet in a world of limited options, we at least I have my whiteness and I can lord that over people and still feel good about myself because I'm in the white head Christian group or whatever it is that's become very attractive to these people recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's talk about drag queens and the military. The Navy is despite you know, Tom Cruise's best efforts and Top Gun two, they did a whole Top Gun which, like the last time they did it, it's naval recruitment, like naval recruitment shot through the roof. This time. The movie was a massive hit, but everyone was like it was fun to watch. I'm not going to join the Navy now still major.
Speaker 2: What's that sid you see the volleyball? Yeah, I don't want to join.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean this one had a two way football, so I think it was as high waisted jeans that fucked people up there like that. But so they're they're trying new things. They're doing like a social media like influencer campaign with active duty officers and one of them is a drag queen, Harpy Daniels, that is one of five people tapped to be one of the Navy's new digital Ambassadors, which, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, not a paying gig.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, really, it's just they they get to help the military because well, you have done stand military only has more funding than anything in America.
Speaker 2: So we're dealing with for this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah Jesus, But people on the right predictably freaked the fuck out. One of the Seal team's six guys tweeted, I can't believe I focked for this bullshit. This is the same guy who probably tweeted a photo of himself on a flight with no mask on during the thick of the pandemic with the caption I'm not.
Speaker 2: A pussy, yep, because science is for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, whatever, that's cool, man, I'm sure you're probably I know you haven't spent much time thinking about how the United States military used you in service of a big, big oil grab over there.
Speaker 2: But hey, it's all good. You're not a pussy. I'm not a pussy.
Speaker 1: I'll kill your grandmother for the right to not be inconvenienced while watching the movie yesterday and eating a bag of piny pretzels. That's how tough I am. Yeah, yeah, I don't know the right. People on the right are claiming it will only hurt recruitment because drag queen shows have no place in our military.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I even know that's so far off, okay, go on, yeah, yeah, a history lesson there.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll start with more recently, they're hugely popular drag show on military basis. In twenty fifteen, positively reported on by that liberal rag Stars and Stripes the military Internal military publication apparently like they couldn't print enough tickets for this show, which was six service members, gay, lesbian and straight, wearing heavy makeup to dance and lip sync songs such as I Want to Dance with Somebody. It's funny like they're describing like a drag show, like they're hearing about it for the first time. Six service members donned heavy makeup to dance and lipshink songs all.
Speaker 2: And different names than they're usuals.
Speaker 1: And then there's just like a long history of this, like going back to the men wearing quote exaggerated feminine attired. Feminine attire dates back to the eighteen hundreds and the Navy. Drag shows were a huge part of military culture during World War Two. Shows put on by soldiers included girly segments where gruffgi is dressed in two two's well still wearing their army boots. There were comedic routines in which soldiers impersonated female stars of the period, and it's not. It's like when you read the writing about it, like the people are it's not like this is ridiculous, it's funny because it's ridiculous. They're like they brought a boot of beauty to the like performances, and like we're very skilled, and so it's just I don't know, it's a we've gone backwards somehow to a place where like you can't appreciate this and any act of inclusivity has to be part of some massive conspiracy that.
Speaker 2: You're not in on. According to these people, it's.
Speaker 4: Just wild to like think of the like it does whatever anything that they see is falling under like the woke umbrella, they'll immediately lose their shit over, even if it's something that like already has enough momentum culturally within like the things that they're into, like the fucking military, and they'll be like, oh no, no, what's this. It's like, Yeah, I did drag when I was when I was enlisted, but that was different.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was fucking different, okay.
Speaker 4: Or when my grandfather did in World War two, that was because they it was different. It was stressful during wartime. Now this stuff, I don't know, it's just a bridge too far.
Speaker 1: Entertainers were not stigmatized because of their perceived or real sexual identities. Instead, the feminine nature of the illusionists and characterists acts were held up as beautiful. That is from a feminist work of theory call Oh wait, no, that's just from the National World War Two Museum, right, yeah, that's it's just it was. They weren't fucking assholes at the time. It turns out there are literally pictures of men in dresses gunning down Nazi planes because they were in the middle of a drag show and got interrupted by a German air raid and had to go out, and you know, man, giant guns on the side of these fucking warships and yeah, yeah, people are like that pretty cool. Hey man, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: If only Tom Cruise didn't fuck us over with this latest top gun, you wouldn't have to resort to this stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just wild though, too.
Speaker 4: Like they're in this thing where they're trying to figure out how to get more recruits, and they're trying to do things that would seemingly say like hey, we're in like maybe you want to join, and don't look into the part where maybe you're going to get caught up and fighting a war, like an empirical war for us. But hey, this is something I don't know. It just baffles me the recruitment strategy overall, and also not really understanding that most young people are just not interested in military service as they learn that, like, you know, when you come back as a veteran, doesn't seem like the care is too great, and on top of it, like what if you're end up you know a lot of the people that they're looking for are people who are the most financially desperate to end up serving and things like that that they're just you know, they're still I don't know, it's just maybe they can attract them with.
Speaker 1: Movie stuff, Yeah, taking care of veterans that that would be uh interesting recruitment tactic. Maybe if it's pitched to them that way, they would actually right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like, well, I've seen have you seen that one commercial where I think that people are like these like sort of millennial as people are like around a campfire and like they're talking about how they own homes and it's because they're in the military, and they're like what they're like, yeah, because the military and like they're sort of using that sort of carrot on a stick now, like home ownership to like inspiring Listen, maybe.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know you can go to I feel like you can go to cor Right, That's why historically, like poor people have joined the military because you can get a college education. But I don't know how that. I mean, maybe that then leads to home ownership, but I don't know. Most of my friends who have college education stone own home. So I don't think it works that way. Honestly.
Speaker 4: I think that's why they're like, see do it this way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, here it is here. I'll just play for you. It's it's it's like.
Speaker 7: We're getting that house.
Speaker 3: We told you guys about you're buying a house.
Speaker 7: Ye, soldiers get be a loan guarantees youah, no money down.
Speaker 3: Well, my office gives us free bagels. It's kind of funny. Actually, Okay, so it's about loan. It's about it's a great joke. It's about loans.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, we can get sick loans, but hey, I get bagels.
Speaker 3: Interesting loans.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, well let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about Guardians of the Galaxy three.
Speaker 2: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're back, and so is the year nineteen eighty nine. This summers to be the biggest movie summer in years because of the pandemic. Obviously, think my best year pretty quiet. So yeah, they got years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, killing I have Batman bike shorts I will wear every day.
Speaker 2: My parents had Latman bike shorts.
Speaker 1: Is such a specific butt like that was. That was when Axel Rose started wearing bike shorts as like just a thing like T shirt bike shorts and yep, damn that was like, well, I guess that's okay. I had Batman logos going all up the side of the leg. I remember my parents like I would fall asleep and they would have to take them off of me because I'm like, no, these are my pajamas.
Speaker 2: Also yeah, and like I just part of me anyway.
Speaker 1: Wow, So I think that year did make a mark, and the you know, brain trusted Hollywood has looked at the metrics and we're like, we're just gonna do that one over again, because yeah, so biggest movie of the year. As Miles mentioned, as Miles head on his child hips on his child legs Batman, so shout out legs.
Speaker 2: So that in place of Batman.
Speaker 1: We are getting The Flash, a new movie that, according to the trailers, is just basically Michael Keaton as Batman again, Like it's full up of like Michael Keaton saying I'm Batman, and like his first line in the movie also, you want to get nuts, Let's get nuts, which I guess is a line from the first one. I forgot that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you are my number one. I remember that.
Speaker 1: Wait, but does Michael Keaton say you want to get nuts, Let's get nuts or the Jokers line?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it feels like no, yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: He's like his Bruce Wayne is a little It's like I would not want to I guess that's true of all Bruce Bruce's Wayne, but just a guy I wouldn't want to hang out with.
Speaker 2: It seems seems like a billionaire with like trauma.
Speaker 4: That's like he could he could just go to maybe a couple of therapy sessions which collects old weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyways, that's coming back. People are like, oh my god, it's amazing. Second biggest movie of nineteen eighty nine was Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade. This year we have what, will, according to Harrison Ford, be the last Indiana Jones movie again. I think he said that about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: They have just wildly missed on the name that they've given it. Like the first three were all all made sense to me. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to much. This one, the Dial of Destiny. Does that do anything for you, guys?
Speaker 4: No, No, that sounds like it sounds like you would do something for a seventy year old person.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say that also sounds like a bad rom com title. Dial Destiny there want to call Away?
Speaker 4: I have to I've forgot to mention this when you re brought up the Flash movie. There was an article that was going around last week because Ezra Miller, you know, they got all this fucking legal trouble and like all these allegations that we've heard constantly about and we've seen it on video ourselves of if this person just acting wild in public, truly, why the fucking The production designer of the film said that the film, Oh hold on, I just have to I just have to find.
Speaker 2: This this ship.
Speaker 5: How do you how do you even come out and say this? How do you say this?
Speaker 4: Basically said that the film looks so good that quote, people will forget, They're like this that they will forget their history of abuse because the movie looks so lit.
Speaker 5: How do you throw yourself under the buzz Like, what is the point of falling on someone else's sword to be like, no, no, no, it's chill. All that bad shit they did. You're gonna forget about that? Yeah, what's the point.
Speaker 4: Because people were just asking, they said in this article, this interview with the CBC, this guy, Paul Osterbury said. Oscar Bay says he's not too concerned about how the story surrounding Miller will affect the film.
Speaker 2: People will forget that.
Speaker 1: This film could star Woody Allen and everyone would still go because.
Speaker 2: That's how it looks. That's how good the production design was. That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, we got Dial of Destiny, which I'm pretty sure the Last Crusade was built as like the last Indiana Jones movie, So they're doing the exact same move as they did in nineteen eighty nine. Also coming out The Little Mermaid, Disney's remake of a movie that came out in fall of nineteen eighty nine, and what like if the previous live action remakes of Disney films have taught us anything, it's that they will not be adding much no to this, like they don't change now a whole lot. This is just a skinning of like the original film with live actors and better performers.
Speaker 4: I think I think we're gonna get some good I mean, the performances out of it will be better. At the end of the day, You're not having to do much lifting creatively because you're like, yeah.
Speaker 1: That that scripted we already on and just in terms of a straight straight up transposition of what was happening in nineteen eighty nine, they're really they're really doing it.
Speaker 5: If I if I've been on record on the show talking about my disdain for live action remixs of Disney movies, because I know that we have talked about this in the office for years, basically since The Jungle Book and Lion King. You just and I know and Jack, I know you. I mean, well, I'm not gonna put you on the spot and say you share this level of disdain, but I know that you too have observed you just cannot make these animal faces do what a Disney movie does an animation.
Speaker 1: You just cannot, right, you cannot, and you may not, and you made it and you may not why you were so mad about flounder. Yeah, and we like talking about Flounder and Sebastians. Since they announced this, I've been like, first of all, like it didn't work in The Lion King and those are beautiful animals. Yes, under sea creatures are ugly and terrified, weird, and they are supposed to like they're cute in the original movie.
Speaker 2: But like flounder looks really founder, Yes, he looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, flounders which, by the way, like actual flounders have their eyes on the face.
Speaker 2: So what is what? What is this?
Speaker 1: Even it's a tropical fish of some sort, something of some sort. I'm it's like what if instead of the original round, cute faced cartoon character, it was like a a fish skeleton mixed with like Pete Davidson, Like it feels like they go what they've gone with.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm just never I'm I you know, I am.
Speaker 5: I'll say this like, you know, happy for Halle Bailey, like getting out there and becoming the star, even a bigger star than she already is. Like this is of course a huge moment for her. We will see some awesome the music that will come out of this will be amazing, much like The Lion King. The music coming out of that was amazing. But just stop it with the animals, like what are you?
Speaker 2: What is? I don't like we can you can't do you do? Just no?
Speaker 4: One Like I wouldn't care if Flounder looked all cute in the live action version, like.
Speaker 2: That's a weird That's the one thing I feel like people are like, yo, fine, didn't need to be that real find.
Speaker 5: Finding Nemo that ship just it's okay if it's a little pick Sarry, just you you you own that, do it.
Speaker 4: Nobody's out here being like man Mermaids is real. It is not how they would be interacting with the undersea life out of here man, Like, I'm fine with the the Mermaids, but don't freak, don't. I don't want to look like I'm seeing some ship that washed up on the Santa Monica beach.
Speaker 2: True, yeah, you know what I mean. Like this Flounder, look, he looks busted.
Speaker 4: Bus he looks like he's got a problem. They say he look like Steve Buscemi, I think is what they're saying on Twitter.
Speaker 1: There are cuter like with Flounder, I was like, maybe they'll find you know, as Katie Golden has pointed out on Twitter, there are a cute fish like they're a parent fish that as long as you're not too freaked out by the fact that they have a set of human teeth up front, which you know takes.
Speaker 2: A little while to get over. But they they're goofy.
Speaker 1: They they do fun stuff like they're but they were just like, nope, huh huh, it's gonna look like.
Speaker 2: They've seen some shit.
Speaker 1: They're gonna make it look like Flounder has seen some dark shit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, in my in my own fear of not giving people enough credit, like the three D animators who are given these jobs to work on these specific things obviously do incredible work and the ship looks awesome, but it is a effort completely in vain in that you are trying to recreate an emotion that is incapturable and it's ready animated space. When you're trying to make something look quote unquote real, you just can't under smile whole point. That was the whole point of Disney movies. In the first place. They had options. Sebastian was a no win. By the way, you can't make win crabs. Crab never looked at anything like other things. That's not a bug a bug. Yeah, Sea Spider and the Sebastian gonna rip his own arm off. No, but that's what they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do when they're in when they're in a bit of a spot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm grow that that that I will forgive it. If Sebastian rips his own arm off this movie, give me that terrify.
Speaker 2: Some children teach these, teach them about Arthur Potts.
Speaker 1: So up to this point you might be saying, all right, guys, but like these are huge movies, and like it takes you know, nostalgia has a cycle. Ghostbusters Too came out in June of eighty nine, and later this year. I didn't know this. We're getting the seque Ghostbusters Afterlife. They're doing a sequel to that, and and this sequel takes them to New York City, so they're really.
Speaker 2: Baby yeah wow, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: There's also the new Ninja Turtles animated movie, which, even though the original Ninja Turtles movie didn't come out until ninety like, eighty nine was the year of full blown Ninja Turtles like this was when the cereal was introduced to the TV show The Video Games. By the way, this detail on the Ninja Turtle cereal I had forgotten. The cereal was described on the box as crunchy sweetened Ninja nets with Ninja Turtle marshmallows. Pizza shaped marshmallows were later added. The ninja net cereal pieces looked suspiciously similar to checks, so they were just like, oh, yeah, these are ninja nets, you know. Yeah, you know how one of the Ninja turtles has a net with them at all times?
Speaker 2: Yep, do this.
Speaker 4: I love that marketing person like, well, obviously we're just making this with loose checks and we're adding on marshmallows, like what you can call these?
Speaker 1: It could have just go and talking about the similarity between wheedies and like turtle food, you know, right, flaky that flaky like fish turtle food. There's also on TV in twenty twenty three, we're getting well, Rosanne is already here, Quantum Leap is here. Doogie Howser dropping The second season.
Speaker 2: Was Doogie Howser eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I think, so, yeah, is it Who's the Boss reboot in the works? They watch remake that nobody asked for even matt Lock is coming back.
Speaker 5: Mattl really yeah, aren't the old Well, I don't know more. Isn't anybody who watched Matt Lock probably you know, not with us anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm still here, man, That's what I've been saying for years. Matt Lock fans, we are still here.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be on the watch list because Joe Biden is still our president in facts. Okay, ye favorite show.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Yeah, he's still here. No, you went wrong? Yeah, wrong? Like even like.
Speaker 1: The reuniting of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck was about like the invention of the Air Jordan, which was, you know, probably hitting its original peak popularity in like eighty nine. It's it's just yeah, we're stuck. It's fine, it is, It's what what it is.
Speaker 2: Did you guys see Air? I did, Miles, No, I heard Michael Jordan wasn't in it, so I said fuck that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He has one quote unquote one line where he says, hello, I loved it. I loved Air. I thought it was great Jack.
Speaker 2: Did you I did not damn did not care. I remember him saying interesting week.
Speaker 4: I wanted to like it, so iron this out, iron this out right?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah? What what? What didn't you like about it?
Speaker 5: Because I'm totally I mean obviously I'm completely open to that, and you know, and but we know how toxic you can get when we start debating movies.
Speaker 2: Oh I get toxic breath first. We know you, we know it. It just I don't know, it felt thin to me.
Speaker 1: Like it opened with a montage of like eighties nostalgia that just felt like it could have been on Like like all the needle drops were just like so down the middle eighties hit songs, the characters watch Men movie. Yeah, like that, the speech, the climactic speech that Matt Damon gives to Michael Jordan, like didn't really, I don't know, it just didn't resonate with me as somebody who's like, okay, you have Michael Jordan about like the way that he discovers he's great is by watching and rewatching the tape of him hitting the game winning shot in the championship game. And then like that's the only footage, Like what what did they only license a single piece of footage Michael Jordan playing?
Speaker 5: Because well, they wasted all that money on licensing all those songs, so it's kind of late that to go.
Speaker 2: Where was it going to be? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It just felt like there was not It's I think it's part partially like as a person who grew up around basketball and who like I don't know, like has like red books about like Jordan and what makes him different and stuff like that, it just felt shallow, inductive, reductive.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that is a completely fair take.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you were going to say, Okay, like that's some old head ass take.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I think I think it's completely fair because honestly, one of my favorite things about it is that it's short. Yeah, I love that it's quick, because the whole thing is my thing about the movie is that if you go into that movie, I don't think there's anybody who's watching that movie unless you are like Jack and someone who has grown up with basketball or is intimately a yeah exactly, it's just intimately familiar with like listening about how they go shoutout MOUs Jack on my booty, but like intimately familiar with the I don't know, the shoe game of any time before the nineties. It's like your association with Michael Jordan is probably like entwined with Nike, Like you probably don't even see Mike, don't. You don't think of Michael with any other shoe period. So if you're watching that movie, you're thinking about that or like getting to the end, like well, I mean, I know what's going to happen, Like what is there even? I know who this guy is exactly, I know who this guy is. What is even what is even the point of this? So the fact that it was so kind of like short and to the point, and just I mean, you know, if I'm being real, I mean Phil Knight and some of his business practices I think are of course deplorable and.
Speaker 1: Political giving practices, but they use like the Nike mottos, like the core mottos that like he has up on his wall of like job's not done, n till it's done, and like all this stuff they use that as like they they cut to that as like little chirons that they show you in between scenes. And I don't know, it just felt like spiritually empty to me to like tell this story about It's like, wow, Nike almost didn't become the massive international behemoth that is doing damage all over the.
Speaker 5: Like it already was right, It's just that it didn't become even bigger.
Speaker 2: So is the movie. But so Jack the movie good on an airplane. I think it would be a good airplane watch.
Speaker 1: I also think I might watch it again with my wife and be like, oh, I actually enjoy this.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was just I think ninety percent of my movie takes are like, yeah, I just wasn't like in a great mood. Wasn't like feeling that movie at that time. You know, I will tell you I'd come full circle on this take.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I will say that. One of my least favorite things about the show The Bear is how much they're constantly.
Speaker 2: Like Chicago, this is shut Ago.
Speaker 5: And the beginning of the of Air, I was watching it just like do you have to hammer this so hard to make the point? Because it's not like the rest of the movie isn't trying to hammer that point home the entire time. It's like, at no point you're like, I wonder what time this movie.
Speaker 2: Said myles.
Speaker 1: There's like a montage with people like doing Rubik's cubes.
Speaker 2: It's really.
Speaker 8: It's too long. It is too long and too just like well, you know, because you know what it is. It's it's not I think in the end it's not. It's like for us but not really yes, because we were there, Dude, I don't need this fucking recap. But I'm sure for like younger people who would see it like what the wow?
Speaker 2: What is what was this time?
Speaker 5: And I think that's I almost want to say, like that is what I feel, like studio notes due to a movie, because like I feel the same way about like any show that's about video games or something. You're watching the show and just like this is annoyingly.
Speaker 2: What is this video gang? Exactly?
Speaker 5: This is annoyingly hitting the hammer on the head. It's like, yeah, I've heard a pack man, thank you?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I don't know, because like I like the social network despite the fact that, like, you know, I don't think Facebook is cool.
Speaker 2: You love like the fact that I like watched.
Speaker 1: This and like wasn't on board with like loving Phil Knight and Sonny Baccaro like that, I've I've done that before. I've liked it before. It was just like something just felt like pet and sort of lazy about it to me.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, look, this is our time, because clearly, if this feels with all this stuff coming back around. I mean it's like it's like partial studio and network laziness. And the other part is like more millennial aged people probably influencing things too, like on someone you know that would you know that shit would go although they should be hiring us because we got some real ideas over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah well yeah, and also this I take like it as far as film, like the film industry is concerned, is objectively wrong. The like it got an a Cinema score. Everybody seems to really love this movie except for me, So I'm not. And I've listened to like even the people from like blank Check and The Flagrant Ones, like all those people like this movie. So I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's fine what you you as an individual, that's what. That's what. That's how you took it. That's how it goes.
Speaker 1: No, I'm bad, I'm bad.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't even feel something bad about me. So well, then if you're bad, then I'm Wesley Snipes. Hey, you think you're bad?
Speaker 4: What are they going to put that ship out there?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 2: Who directed that? Was that?
Speaker 1: Who directed the bad video? I feel like it was Scorsese or something like that.
Speaker 2: Uh, it was Yeah.
Speaker 1: Scorsese directed The Bad Wow Holy Ship.
Speaker 2: That was eighty seven. Eighty seven, What a time to be alive. Well, Miles, mm hmm, I mean so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yes, Miles, such a pleasure around show.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can find him all right.
Speaker 1: That's gonna do it. For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, Please like and review the show if you like the show. Uh means the world to Miles. He he needs your validation.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. Bye.