Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. Hey, everybody, welcome to another episode of the Season with Peter Schrager. We are now in the second week of August. Preseason football is upon us. There's a full slate of games this weekend. We already had the Hall of Fame game last Thursday, the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. Hard Knocks's premiere in this week Football's here, like football is here and it feels good. And if you listen to this podcast, you come to get your little taste of football, but also learn something new. I thought one of the most interesting stories of the week was that Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel came out and said he'll have assistant head coach and his defensive line coach Terrell Williams beat a head coach in the preseason opener against the Bears on Saturday, and it seems like it's something that'd be on the bottom line. Taker, Oh, that's nice story. This is like an incredible realization I just had and an epiphany that, oh my gosh, like these preseason games mean nothing. Let assistant coaches, coach. We always talk about how hard it is to get an opportunity to showcase your skills when you're an assistant and kind of climb that ladder. This is the opportunity. I love this from Vrabel. So here's Terre Williams, who has twenty six years of coaching under his belt, twelve in the NFL. He's been, you know, Titans defensive line coach since Vverbel got there in twenty eighteen. And now all of a sudden, you're like, all right, give an opportunity to this guy. And over the last few years the Titans and not a not a headline team by any means, but their defensive lineman Jeffrey Simmons been to the Pro Bowl a bunch of times. They've had undrafted guys like Tierre Tart and Nikwon Jones and Jayden Peevy all make the team. And one of the reasons is Big T who's the coach, and you know his assistant, Clinton McMillan, he's going to go and do the defensive line. Those guys have been huge. And you know, we talk about the issue with the coaching hires and how it's usually nepotism more so only offensive coaches. This is almost like unlocking a key. And I didn't expect it because I had not heard about it. And here Verbel drops this, and I thought, Okay, what if this was required? What if every coach, and not just not the first year coach, but like, say your guy like Rabel, who's a made man and he's in his fifth year. Say your Andy Reid, who's in your twenty something year, you know, as a head coach, and you're already nearly a decade in with the Chiefs. Maybe one of those three preseason games, an assistant coach is the head coach and he wears the hat and he gets to do it all, and it's him leaving the team out in the tunnel. Here's the parameters I would make it if a coach is there for five years or more with a team, So five years or more go through the list. That's a lot of coaches. At least one of those games has to have an assistant coach as the head coach, and that could be anyone. You could put your long time offensive line coach in there. You can get your defensive coordinator out there, or you can do what Mike Frabel does. And he's got a defensive line coach in Terro Williams handling the head coaching duties. I'm going to watch this game on Saturday. Yes, Justin Field is playing, so I want to see that. I also am really interested in will Levis and then of course Malik Willis as well from the Titan side. But I'm also curious to see if we could even notice a difference if you've got an assistant coach getting a chance to be a head coach. And I want to hear his response afterwards that that was my big takeaway from this week's news. And the other one was Sean Payton coming out pretty aggressively and pretty hard, and that's really been coach Payton's mantra this summer. It seems like saying he doesn't want any guys wearing Gilligan hats on preseas, which means like those bucket hats, they all there. But also no in game interviews during the preseason, which has become a staple of these local broadcasts, like he's not here for that. We had a really spirited debate on Good Morning Football about this, and I was like, it's a preseason, like let if Jerry Judy or you know you, Russell will an add to the local broadcast. They get two of these, maybe three of these a year. Let them interview with the local news guy who's the sideline reporter, local newscal and Jason mccordy was like, hell no, like get rid of that. This is about getting better and the veterans should be watching. And I'm like, all right, there you go. There's the ex player versus the talking head difference right there. Some other quick things before we get to our guests. Who's a great one one? Aaron Aaron warn Kaufman, my producer. Have you seen Oppenheimer? I haven't yet, unfortunately not gotten to the theater. I saw it last night. Are you a Nolan head? Like, are you a guy who has seen all the Nolan movies? And like or one of those he's got people who first night they'll see it. But have you gotten to most of Chris Nolan films?
Speaker 2: I have, except for Tenant and surprisingly Interstellar I also haven't seen, which I've heard is great, but it's great.
Speaker 1: I am a Chris Nolan fan, but I'm not one of those guys who's rushing to the theater the first night However, my wife, my son, my daughter are away. This week, I had an open night. A lot of guys decided to go out and rage with their friends. I call my friend and say, can we please go see Oppenheimer? It's three hours long. I don't think I have three hours open the rest of the year. Have you been to the movie theater called the Ipiic in South Street Seaport. No, okay. So it's like one of these IMAX deals in New York City, but it's a smaller theater and they serve you food, almost like the Alamo Draft House, I guess, but it's like high end and here's the comedy of it. So I went with my friend Alex, who happens to be a Bills fan, very appropriate with Who's coming on as our guest. And Alex and I have seen movies together in the past. I remember we saw The Post, which was epic. We saw that a couple of years back. I think we saw The Big Short together, the two of us, like we see movies together. Then we took our sons to see Sonic together a few years back as well, So that's my movie.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 1: We look up at the IPIC there like there's a six fifteen showing, but there's only two seats available, and those two seats are on something that is basically a Shay lounge, and the three of us together together, and it was in the first row. So a three hour movie. Cuddling with my friend Alex, watching the movie with my neck just ninety degrees. And let me tell you something, I freaking loved it. I loved it, loved it. I loved it. I loved it. It was awesome. There's been the day after. It's what I always do. I listened to all the podcasts. I'm like, all right, what are the guys at the Big Picture have to say? And then like Chris Ryan starts breaking it down, and I'm listening to Andy Greenwald and whoever else is Sean Fantasy and Amanda Dobbins, and I'm like, what do they got? And then I do a little deep dive on Oppenheimer himself and what are the historical inaccuracies. I'm not gonna spoil anything. This movie's great. Anybody who tells you that the last hour is too long or drags on doesn't appreciate great writing and a great reveal at the end, and this final scene where it's Oppenheimer and Einstein, and it's I'm not gonna spoil anything. It leaves you speechless, like all these Christopher Nolan movies do with the exclamation mark at the end where you're like ah, then they go to the credits. I loved it, loved Oppenheimer. Can't wait to discuss it with Aaron Rodgers when he sees it again, because when I asked him about it, he said he saw it at nine o'clock at night, which you cannot do. You have to be like fully in this movie moves and the cameos from not only a list actors. I'm not spoiling anything, but like Remy Mallick has like four lines in this movie and he's awesome. Casey Affleck shows up and is tremendous and plays a heel and is just evil in this movie and you're like ah. But also guys that I haven't like, Josh Hartnet has a big role. I haven't seen Josh Hartnet and a lot of movies lately. I love Jason Clark. That's the actor. You know him from Zero Dark thirty, but you also know him from that Winning Time series. He plays Jerry West. I think in that one, and he's great. So just cameo's galore, familiar faces, some surprise cameos at the end that you're like, is that who I think that is? And it is, and I would be shocked if not only is it Killian Murphy or Silly and Murillian.
Speaker 2: I think it's yeah, I don't know. I think it's Silly and Murphy.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing him in that movie Red Eye with like Rachel McAdams, so they going like years ago and being like that guy's spooky looking. Well, he's amazing as Jay Robert Oppenheimer. If he's not nominated for Best Picture, Robert Downey Junior as Best Supporting Actor, and I'm gonna throw in Emily Blunt as Best Supporting Actress, I would be shocked. All three of them were amazing. I love the film, and of course Nolan not only directed it, but he wrote it. That is my recommendation. See that as far as your Friday nights, can I make another recommendation for everybody This Friday night, the Detroit Line announced that they're going to be offering an alternate broadcast of their first preseason game against the Giants on Friday night. The main broadcast of course, will be on the Lions TV Network and the Lions Radio Network, but yours truly will be hosting the alternate broadcast on Detroit Lions dot com and the Detroit Lions mobile app. I am so excited for this. Here's how it's gonna work. I'm basically Peyton and Eli hosting this thing. And it's a shreger cast, if you will, for the Detroit Lions. And I'm gonna have Lions legends and guys who work for the team now and and other celebrities come on here and there, and it's gonna be cool. It could be a complete bust, it could be terrible, but it's an alternate broadcast. We're trying things. I so appreciate the guys not only at the Lions, but a company called kiss We and they're gonna be giving me this opportunity. They called me earlier this summer say would you be interested in coming on as a guest or a host. I'm like either one, let's do it. The guests that we've booked for this thing, it is a heavy, heavy hitter lineup. I love this. Brad Holmes, who I think has the most listens of this podcast. The general manager. He's going to be coming on and joining me. Chris Pielman, who is the special assistant to the President and the CEO and chairperson there now, but Lions legend and was also he was the analyst when I was a slideline reporter for years for Fox. Gary Danielson's going to be joining. He's the lead college football anals for CBS, obviously doing SEC and now Big Ten. He's a Lions quarterback for nine years. He's coming on. Glover Quinn, who is a long term safety Golden Tate. How about Jalen Rose University of Michigan, standout Detroit native, diehard Lions fan coming on. Here's what I love. Aaron kirk Gibson's coming on with me. Michigan state legend but also a Tiger's outfielder for years and was from Pontiac, Michigan, and all the old Darren McCarty, Red Wings right winger and four time Stanley Cup champion. I love that we're getting Darren McCarty on this thing. Dave Briquette, who's the Lions beat writer for the Detroit Free Pest forever and as a Pro Football Hall of Famer. My friend Stacy Dale's NFL Network reporter, and of course we know her history as a wonderful college basketball player and an All American and a WNBA player for years. I'm fired up. So who knows. It's seven o'clock on Detroit Lions dot Com. It's gonna be a sensation. It's Schragger Cast. It's what we do. It's basically this with a bunch of guests, and I'm studying the depth chart for the Lions. I swear I'm looking at the Lions depth chart. I don't know a lot of these guys, so there's a lot of chances for me to sound stupid. But Lions fans, if you enjoy this kind of banter and you enjoyed my interview with Brad Holmes, check it out. And if you're not a Lions fan and you're a Giants fan, or you're just a fan of this podcast and what we've got going in this kind of vibe, I would say check it out. Detroit Lions dot Com the alternate broadcast of the Giants Lions preseason opener for both teams.
Speaker 2: I know it's tough because they don't always not everyone plays a ton, but do you have any player in particular on the Lions roster you see on Friday.
Speaker 1: I want to see if Gibbs plays, right, that was the guy that yeah, yeah, that just loved him. Yeah yeah, Holmes loved him. He's a top fifteen pick.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Then there's other stories because like I've been doing my research and I've fallen in love with a wide receiver who I think my play a lout in the second half named Dylan Drummond. Drummond story is cool, Aaron, real quick before we get to our guests here, it is. You'll like this, all right. Never was all conference in anything at Eastern Michigan in the MAC. He was like this under the radar. Guy doesn't get the comm bye, nothing like draft weekend. He's golfing the entire time, doesn't even pick up his phones. He knows he's not getting drafted. He's a wide receiver. But usually when you don't get drafted and you're a good player in college football, you'll you'll try to get signed as an undrafted free agent. Like in the hours after the draft. There's probably like a couple hundred guys that happens to, where all the teams are like, all right, we're gonna have ten extra guys that we signed as undrafted free agents, so we're going to have him on the roster and they're going to fight for a spot. He wasn't one of them. So take the three hundred guys who get drafted, the two hundred guys who get undrafted free and signings, that's five hundred guys. He's not one of them. They have a rookie mini camp tryout in the spring and he shows up and he's you know, ipsil Ante is where Eastern Michigan was. He shows up, plays well, three days and he's about to leave and he's like, I guess that was that doesn't hear anything, gets a call and they're like, are you still in the Building's hegether? They're like, we'd like to sign you to a rookie contract just to come to training camp. And so Dylan goes and signs it. And to a man, I'm not trying to hype him up all too much. I don't even know if he makes the team, but everyone that I speak to in Detroit is like, Dylan Drummond is crushing it, like he is having a great camp. So I am excited to see that guy, Dylan Drummond jersey number eighty three for the Detroit Lions. I assure you no other podcasts and the world is talking about Dylan Drummond right now in the second week of August. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Nice, Well, I'm excited to watch him now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and watch Thedetroit Lions dot Com broadcast. Plenty of other stuff going on. We'll hit it throughout the next couple of weeks, but all your teams are on this weekend. Enjoy it. It also means it's the end of NFL Network sending people all over to camps and having them in their polo shirts and the director's chair and interviewing the players and getting great soundbites. It's been fun. My funniest video of the week that I loved was Scott Hansen from NFL Red Zone. Hi Scott Hanson. Here Scott Hansen going into the Jaguars facilities men's bathroom and being so impressed by the technology that they have that grades your hydration. Essentially you deposit yourself Like he was using crazy words. He was explaining it on this video about beeing into the urinal and the urinal tells you if your hydration levels are correct, and he's like, if it's in the red, you gotta go see a trainer immediately.
Speaker 3: You're about to see.
Speaker 5: The most advanced urinals in all of professional sports.
Speaker 6: Jacksonville Jaguars Headquarters.
Speaker 5: All right, that's a censor that will measure your hydration level. If the light turns green when you go, you're good that. If it's yellow, you need to high drate some more. If it's red, you're probably gonna get a notice from the athletic trainers.
Speaker 6: Maybe have an IV.
Speaker 1: I'm like NFL Plus has all sorts of stuff, and I appreciate like analytics programs and and here's a game preview from this analyst. I might not click on any of that stuff if you told me there's a Scott Hansen weekly show where he goes to different NFL facilities and tries out the bathrooms and just tells us and does like a review as if he's like Dave Portnoy, you know, I think Jamie heard all said it great. She was like, you know, one flush like instead of one bite, like you know the rest of the rules. You know, I would be in on it. And then a twitter you know, person not twot at our show because we had Hanson talking about this urinal and like this incredible urinal this second, like this like ai urinal tells you about a Twitter person you know, hit up the show and was like it was like, you know, it's actually not a terrible idea. Hanson in one stall, a guess in another stall. You just have you know, the two of these guys with behind closed stall. We don't see their faces, we hear their voices, we hear whatever else action they've got going on. And it's a full interview show. It Scott Hansen from a bathroom in a facility NFL plus guys, I can't just give these ideas away for free. There's got to be an apartment there that's working on these. This is gold, take it and do what you want with it. And with that we get to our guest. I really love this dude. We'll get them on right after this. Our next guest is the man making the key decisions in the front office for one of the NFL's best teams over the last several years. They're a Super Bowl contender year and year out, and they're a lot of people are taken this year and right now we are on the eve of the start of the preseason slate, so it was a good time as they wrap up their training camp trip out to Rochester to bring on our guy GM of the Buffalo Bills, Mister Brandon, Bean Brandon, what's up man?
Speaker 3: How you doing? Buddy?
Speaker 1: Doing great?
Speaker 3: Appreciate you having me all like always, Buddy.
Speaker 1: I love having you on. I think you're the first recurring guest in the history of this podcast. We've had lots of coaches, lots of coordinators, lots of gms, but you're the first guy I've ever asked to come back on because I loved how much fun we had on the first one, and now you're here for the second one, and let's dive right in. At this point in training camp, when it's beyond hey, everybody, let's unpack our bags, when you're not sleeping in your own bed and you're now onto week two, is it one of those where it's like, Okay, we're good, like we're set, let's get the season going. Or is it you wish he had a couple more days to kind of work out the kinks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I enjoy training camp. I enjoyed up here in Rochester. It's a great setup here Saint John Fisher. It's you know, every team is its own team. You have a lot of the same players, but every team forms its own bond. And uh those teams that bond together. I go back to the teams that we had success on in Carolina, the team that we had that made it to the AFC Championship a couple of years ago. Like, those guys genuinely loved being around each other. Uh, it's we all know, it's not always the most talented team. It's it's the best team because you're gonna have adversity. Obviously we faced our fair share of that last season. And and so this is kind of where that bond really starts.
Speaker 3: At camp away, you're just kind of on your own.
Speaker 4: You're in drm rooms, you're you're hanging out the cafeteria, whatever it is. So I enjoy it, but it is getting to the point where, uh, you know, I know the guys are starting to get tired of hitting each other, and so they're ready to hit someone else. And uh so and plus from my standpoint, I know that the pass rushers know Dion Dawkins move or Spencer Brown's move or vice versa.
Speaker 3: Let me see them get some you know, some fresh meet and how how they you? You know from that standpoint, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys are one of the few teams left that actually travels for training camp. Obviously the Cowboys and we can name a few. The advantage of going to like a college campus and being Josh Allen and von Miller needs to be in dorms for two weeks. Like the advantage of that though, give me the give me the plus four it because I remember covering the Giants when all the big fellows are argue just it was over. It's all Beny, the beds are too small, and they're like, this is just We're just we're veterans making millions of dollars. What are we doing? What are these What are the advantages of going off campus and off site and really having that bonding experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think our football ops, guys, Brendan Rugs are DFO. I think they do a great job of getting bigger beds in here they find so the guys aren't sleeping in true dorm beds like you think eat his dorm rooms. So we're not at the ritz Carlton by any means. But it's not a long stretch and I just think, like I said earlier, the bonding having to just you know, no one's trying to rush home. No one's wife's all or girlfriend or whatever. Hey, we got to get home. You got to do this. It just to me, it takes the pressure off of everyone. Your singular focus is football here for a couple of weeks, and then then you kind of return to some normalcy and again building that bond. You know, Sean and I both believe it's just super important for the long stretch that you know, of the season of seventeen games.
Speaker 1: I would imagine the star players don't have roommates or do they.
Speaker 3: No, they don't.
Speaker 4: You know, we we bunked some of the young guys, but no, none of the guys.
Speaker 1: Josh Allen is not like.
Speaker 4: Micah and Jordan there. They got their own room, so they're they're in good shape from that stamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned last year at the end, like the adversity. I've gotten through it a million times on our show. I've talked about our pocket like there was there you understandably nothing left in the tank by the end. No, it's not an excuse. It's just no team I can remember in recent years has gone through a two month span with all the weather stuf, and then tomorrow and just straight through to the end of the season where it's like, God, they've gone through a lot. Do you feel like the team is refreshed or is there a hangover from all that where you like can kind of sense that, you know, the stink of the end of last year. And I don't mean to say stink, but you know what I mean. Yea, it is still with this team as we had to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: No, I think you know, as I said, every teams a new team, and it's our job to learn from what Yes, there was adversity, there was things that come up, but it's what you do with it and how you take that and the scars of not winning. You know that trophy that the Chiefs, you know won again last season. It's it's it's what you do with it, learn from the mistakes, things we could have done better. Yes, there was adversity, but there's things we could have handled ourselves and we know that. And so this is a fresh group, a new team, and so we got a fresh outlook.
Speaker 3: Everyone's looking ahead to this season and.
Speaker 4: Trying to make sure that we don't repeat, you know the mistakes that ultimately cost us, you know, a chance of the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: When we had you on last time. You took us step by step through the drafting of Josh Allen and how convicted you guys were, and we're gonna make this move. We're gonna get this guy. We're gonna do it. And we found our guy, Dalton Kincaid. Everywhere I looked in the mock drafts, everyone I talked to you said, Okay, look, Kincaid and probably Myers, the Notre Dame kid, they're probably gonna go in the top twenty. And then after that there might be a Darnell Washington, there might be other guys, but tight end position is really good up top with these two guys. You're sitting there in the mid twenties at the end of the first round and there's Dalton Kincaid. Can you take us through the drafting of Dalton Kincaid from your perspective And did you ever think in a million years you guys would have the opportunity to draft that guy at a Utah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we really liked Dalton a lot. We tried not to get it out there.
Speaker 4: We tried to keep our cards close to the vest, and you know, you do pay attention to macks for a lot of reasons, one to kind of prepare who you think is gonna be.
Speaker 3: They're not that they're gonna have every team.
Speaker 4: But if again, if you're looking at thirty mocks and every single one of them has a you know, Will Anderson going before you pick, you don't really you know, need to go too deep. It's usually pretty accurate. And so you know, no one really was projecting Dalton. Does people you know, have some guards, people had some receivers, you know, And so it was kind of I felt like we laid under the radar there from that standpoint. And again probably ten days, two weeks somewhere in there, I don't remember. I was, you know, you're kind of we're, you know, our board, we're wrapping it up, and you're looking at them, looking to see who's on our board that we like and versus what people think is going to be there.
Speaker 3: And I thought ten days out, I was like, we got a good chance at Dalton. I really did.
Speaker 4: But but then as I'm starting to do my homework and things were running close, so I'm starting to hear Dalton going in the teens and he's not going to get past this team and you know, barely past twenty and so at that point you're you're making, you know, alternative plans if he doesn't get to you, you know, whether you trade back or could someone else that you like be there. And so ultimately, you know, I had told you know, our ownership, you know, and Terry Bogula said, you know, if he gets close, I may get a little aggressive here to try and get him. And ultimately we were able to move up a couple of spots and get him.
Speaker 1: What were the machinations of that trade? Because I remember with Giants, Jacksonville, the Ravens, there's all these teams. Are you on the phone calling you know, all of them and saying, let's trade for the pick? Or is it one of these where they call you and said do you want to trade back?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean the day of the draft, you know, I had guys checking around, but I had you know, Jacksonville was one of the teams that said they might be open to move back.
Speaker 3: The Giants.
Speaker 4: You know, I talked to Joe and he said, you know, he thought they might be willing to move back.
Speaker 3: And I said, listen.
Speaker 4: I again, by that day, I didn't think he would be there.
Speaker 3: I said, honestly, I think we're probably going back with you know, and not going up.
Speaker 4: That was my you know, truthful feeling if I, if I was putting odds in Vegas that I would go back. But then it got you know, when he got past like twenty one, you know, or so I was like, man, we got a chance here.
Speaker 1: And the run of wide receivers was starting.
Speaker 4: It was starting, and so I called Joe and said, hey, what do you think We'd already nailed down what it would be so we didn't.
Speaker 1: Have to argue beforehand. You're like, it's hypothetically, this.
Speaker 3: Is what we're going to do. That way, we don't have to argue about it. You're an agreement. I'm in agreement.
Speaker 4: And he's like, well, listen, I'll do it if if if our guy's gone or whatever. And so I'm like, all right, well, then next thing I know, he texts me. He goes we're moving up and he's Jackson just gotten on the clock.
Speaker 3: You're like what.
Speaker 4: So before it was announced publicly, I started calling Trent Balky and saying, you know, ultimately, you know, trimp I know you're trading here.
Speaker 3: What what will you? You know? What can we do? And he he didn't want to trade the pick.
Speaker 4: I really didn't, but Joe and then made their pick and then he said, I'll call you back. And so it went back and forth several calls, and he basically made me tell him who we.
Speaker 1: Were going to pick, and you had to be honest and I had.
Speaker 4: To shoot him straight and I would never lie in that standpoint, from a trust standpoint, and he was nervous about it, but he was willing to do it, and he still got the tackle they wanted and we got done.
Speaker 1: It's so fun. And I know I'm on the media side and the fans listening are like, but it is as simple as that, as Hey, you and Joe are like, there's a chance this might happen. We've got three days here before the draft. We're killing time. Let's work out the deal now, as opposed to doing it on the clock. And then he has to text you and be like, we're actually moving up. We like bangs out of Maryland. We're taking him. And you're like, ah, all right, It's it's got to be such a pressure cooker to be there and then you only get one first round pick of year, so you don't want to mess up, and you don't want to get it wrong, and you don't want to regret not getting the guy and have to think after you guys get Dalton Kincaid, who put up huge numbers at Utah. You guys were absolutely thrilled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 4: You know, we really liked him through the process and just thought he'd be a great fit for here.
Speaker 3: And and you know, he's.
Speaker 4: A smart kid, he's still an up and commoner and just you know, pairing him with Dawson Knox, you know, we thought could give us another added dimension that teams have to defend.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't. We don't. We haven't used twelve person al a lot.
Speaker 4: So this gave us a chance to add that to Ken Dorsey's you know, kind of his playbook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not going anywhere. You and Sean both are pretty secure in that market, and you have this team together. The stability of both the two of you guys together. When you speak to your team and when you address the the younger guys and maybe some of the veterans, and they know that you're not going anywhere. How important is that for you guys to come and know that, hey, year to year, there's some consistency here. We're building something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's I tell you when when I interviewed for the job, you know, Sean was already there.
Speaker 3: I'm interviewing with the Beagoulas.
Speaker 4: And you know, so I'm talking to Terry and Kim getting to know him, and one of the things I brought up was stability. You know, I said, you know, I felt like the AFC East teams were doing Bill Belichick a favor by constantly turned over.
Speaker 3: I said, you know, it's two things.
Speaker 4: One, you haven't found a quarterback this organization since Jim Kelly. So first and foremost, we have to start that plan, you know, if you're going to hire me, And then I want to know, like Kim, we this is the plan. This is not an overnight thing. You know, as I begin to work with Sean and we share ideas, you know, if you're going to hire me to start working with Sean, you know, I think we see things pretty similarly. From from what I know about Sean. We haven't gotten deep into the weeds. I had to get the job first. But you know, they said, well, we gave Sean a five year deal and we would do the same for whoever gets this gym job. And I said, and I hope you'll us, you know, play that out, And they said, no, we you know, there has been a little turnover here, but we want to be one of the franchises that's looked at as not quick trigger, not just reacting to you know, to media pressure, fan pressure, but doing the right thing. And I tell you they've they've been great. And you know, Sean and I both are very fortunate to work for them, and they they're involved, but and they want to know and they're doing everything that owners should do. But they're also giving us the resources to run the team and and and do the best we can. And now it's on us to see if we can somehow, you know, get this trophy finally to Buffalo here at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those fans want it. AFC East is interesting because for years I felt like it was just the Patriots, and then now it's like your time. The Bills are the team. Dolphins had a great season last year. Obviously, you guys beat them in the playoffs. At the end this pass offseason, the Jets loaded up. They're obviously going to be a factor. The Patriot rates are still looming. You look at this gauntlet and then your schedule, which is also the NFC East. Is the AFC East as good as it's been since you've gotten there. Do you feel that way or is it like hell, no, we're the team and they can come and try to get the crown, like we don't care about what they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's from top to bottom.
Speaker 4: It's as competitive as as you know, I can remember it even back when I was in the NFC. Just the Patriots dominated for so long, and so I think everyone knew, you know, we got to, you know, make make bold moves.
Speaker 3: And I think all teams have done it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Miami, you know, unfortunately too was out for them, and they're you know.
Speaker 3: Playing Skylar Thompson, rookie quarterback. The kid played a heck of the.
Speaker 1: Game played well against you guys.
Speaker 4: Really the game was in the balance well into the fourth quarter for US holding on and so you know, obviously we lose.
Speaker 3: Next week the Jets. The Jets beat us there.
Speaker 4: It was a tight game here, you know, and now you add an MVP guy and Aaron Rodgers just that move along, I get it why people are picking them to be in the Super Bowl, like it's fair. And again, the Dolphins with Tua back, are going to be They beat us down there with Tua, and we had a tight game that we won, uh in Buffalo's, so I expected to be a dogfight New England.
Speaker 3: You know Bill Belichick, greatest coach of all time.
Speaker 4: You had Bill O'Brien who's had a lot of great offensive success, you know, down Obama, but in Houston and in New England. So I don't know if there's a tougher division. Maybe someone would argue maybe the NFC North or something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, maybe NFC North might be more more contested, I would say, But as far as strength of team, I think it's a FC North and a FC East this year in my view.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's the way I see it.
Speaker 4: And again you're you're right, we're also playing, uh, the NFC East and the Eagles. They're a tough team. The Giants had a heck of a run. Dablon Joe done a heck of a job there, cow Balls really good.
Speaker 1: And then your boy Ron, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, I think Marty and Ron have done a heck of a job that team. You know, if you just look at their you just look at their but they've got to figure out is Sam how the guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that's what they got to prove.
Speaker 4: We we liked him as well, but you know that's going to be a contested division, you know in the NFC East.
Speaker 1: A couple of questions quickly and then I want to have some rapid fire stuff about you personally. But uh, the von Miller like time is that does every day? I haven't been following you guys on a dayt dabasis are the locals asking you that every single day and asking Sean like, what's the latest of vonn When's he gonna be ready? Or is it pretty established in your building that he's going to be good to go? And he's good to go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're just you know, we're definitely having conversations not every day with vond but every week checking in. He's doing his daily stuff with you know, our medical team and rehab, and he's in a great spot mentally. He's been through an ACO before, so he knows the process. It's more than just the physical rehabit's the it's the mental part of it.
Speaker 3: Too, And so.
Speaker 4: You know, we're not saying whether he could play Week one or not not out of the question.
Speaker 3: You know, I would you know right now, probably coin toss is probably the best way he could.
Speaker 1: I think you would sign up for that a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I know Vaughn wants to play in it. You know, he's still got to be clear. Doctor Cooper out in Texas did his surgery, so he still got to get final clearance there, and so we'll just we'll take it slow with him. We've tried to beef up around in case he's not ready to handle that.
Speaker 3: But we'll probably know a little closer to the season.
Speaker 1: Running back room is interesting. Obviously Singletary was there for years, not there now. Around the league that was such a conversation, And there are teams like the forty nine ers who have Christian McCaffrey, who you know very well and is an outstanding player and gets a lot of paid money, and Derrick Henry and even Saquon for his one year deal is making ten million dollars. You guys have a different strategy with it, or you have at least I don't know if it's by design or not, but it doesn't seem like there's a lead dog in that room. Obviously Cook and now you got Harris from the Bill from the Patriots. But is that a philosophical thing or is this one of those where, hey, we'd love to see James Cook run for eighteen hundred yards and we'd pay him the same way or is that just how your team is built. We're going to focus on different positions and the running back spot is going to be kind of a committee deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, listen, you always want the best players.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not going to turn down I was there in Carolina we drafted Christian McCaffrey, so a heck of a talent. You know, great move by San Francisco kind of helped turn their season around last year. So you're always looking to add good players like that no matter what position.
Speaker 3: But it is you do have to pick and choose.
Speaker 4: You know, when you're picking at the bottom of the round, you know your cap constraints. You're paying a quarterback. You've got to pick some areas where you know what we'll go with, you know, a less expensive model, whether it's draft capital or you know, signing. You know, a veteran, you know for you know, a reasonable price. And so we liked how James Cook played last year, especially down the stretch. Thought he did some really good things. And Damian Harris has had some really good moment matter of fact against.
Speaker 1: Us, he said, well against you guys best.
Speaker 4: Games, So at least I don't have to worry about that. But hopefully he'll do that for us. And so he just had some health hiccups along the way. That's probably been his biggest issue, not how he plays. And Latavius Murray had a really good year last year. We brought him in born and raised in Syracuse, plays in Florida, but he grew up a Bills fan, so it's been fun to have him here a big time leader. And we lost Nim Hines unfortunately, but we feel like we're in good hands with these guys and we'll kind of see how it goes.
Speaker 1: You know, Latavius, our show has been on since twenty sixteen when he was on The Raiders. Latavius used to come on our show and he had such a good time on our show. He was in New York and asked can I come on? And he said, well, actually, Nate Burleson's out, do you want to host, and so twenty sixteen version of Latavius Murray was a host on our show. We had a blast, he had thoughts, he had takes. Sure Enough, here we are seven years later, he's on another team, and I would imagine he's going to make the squad and he's still make an impact.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I told him.
Speaker 4: It was like, I thought your film was even better last year and pore he talked about some training methods he did.
Speaker 3: I thought he really started on New Orleans practice squad.
Speaker 4: They play him in a game, then Denver plucks him and he's a big time leader. He's a big, old school heavy body back, you know, I think a good compliment to you know, to the other guys we.
Speaker 3: Have in the room.
Speaker 1: The Dig stuff, was that all just you know, people trying to fill headlines or is everything? I mean, you know what I'm talking about When he was tweeting and I can't even follow it, to be honest, because I'm just like, that's a wide receiver. Stefan Dig's a great guy, great teammate. I'm not going to get caught up with this. But then there was rumors that he wants out and the Giants were interested. I don't even you tell me. Are we all good with Stefan Diggs as we head towards twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're We're in a great I think STEP's in a great spot. We're in a great spot. I think sometimes you just you know, season's end end abruptly, and when you work as hard as he or others on this team do, and you come up short, like we did last season, you leave frustrated. You don't get to come back for a week and hang out and talk about how it finished or whatever. Everybody kind of go is their merry ways. So like anything, there can be a lot of smoke in the off season and people are looking for headlines. But you know, we felt like once we kind of all sat down and shared where we where we can get better, where we see things, and how we're going, that we we would all get on the same page. And I think that's that's what happened. And Steph's had a great camp. It's been really good. Him and Josh have you know, picked up right where they've generally left off. And so no, we don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't see anything.
Speaker 4: I think it's more I think it's more for the outside noise than than what actually goes.
Speaker 1: You know, there are certain morning TV shows that need to fill three hours every day in June Brandon, so.
Speaker 3: Turn around. But now it's been good. It's been good to have step back in here.
Speaker 1: All right, quick stuff about you, because I love this. If I lived in Buffalo, I think I would weigh six hundred pounds. And I say that just because of the food and how good it is and the wings. And when I came up in the in the winter for a game, you and I got together. We went to a spot and even remember what it was called. We had some wings. It was fine. But then when I said the place that we were going there, every single person I spoke to was like, no, you gotta go to this one. You gotta go to this one, you gotta go to this one. Are you a wings guy? To that point? Because you're an incredible shape and so is Sean McDermott. And I'm wondering, how do these guys resist being just five hundred pounds and being slobs eating wings every night?
Speaker 4: Well mcdermot's in a lot better shape than I am. I'm trending the wrong way fast, just trying to tread water.
Speaker 3: Just ask my kids. They tell me I'm fat. I am all the time.
Speaker 1: That term treading water is basically my August diet. Just treaded water. Put me through it.
Speaker 4: Man, It's it's fun. But now it's I do like wings. I am particular.
Speaker 1: You got a spot.
Speaker 3: There's some good spots, but bar Bill is my spot.
Speaker 1: Everyone says this, as there's one in Rochester too. I think I've been tested, I've been tweeted. All right, they just opened it, all right, commercial for barb Bill. Tell me why it's the good. It's the best wings. Do you go straight barbecue or buffalo or do you have like one of these crazy like honey terry, Yucky Malibu blaze, Like I don't do that stuff.
Speaker 3: Cajun honey butter barbecue.
Speaker 1: Cajun honey butter barbecue. My mouth is watering. That sounds incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh. They also have just regular honey butter barbecue if you don't like. My wife likes those because she doesn't like the spice to it.
Speaker 3: But either one's great. I generally like the.
Speaker 4: Little kick to mine. But they got a great Lagger beer as well. It's just it's a great place.
Speaker 1: But the wings are Is it crispy wing or is it like a smothered in saucewan. I don't like a crispy like crunch. I like a smothered in sauce wings.
Speaker 3: More smothered in sauce.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: And it's just it's hard to say. They literally like brush brush it on. It's just it's truly is.
Speaker 1: Is like you're going there tonight. I can tell them by the way we're talking. I think you like that lust in your eyes thinking about it.
Speaker 4: You're trying to to start thinking about me salivating here.
Speaker 3: In a minute. Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, Your your journey, which I've talked about before, is amazing because you didn't start off being a general manager in the NFL. You actually took a different route real quick for the listeners, the public relation side of the Carolina Panthers and how you made the jump because we had Brad Holmes on earlier this summer and he told us his story and I was so inspired by it, same kind of thing PR of the Saint Louis Rams and made the jump from PR to the scouting department. Did your path if you don't mind in as long as you want to take honest honestly. But you get in there from the PR side, and then where do you go from there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did six weeks for PR, basically a training camp that was back when training camp was six weeks.
Speaker 3: We got there.
Speaker 1: Where was it was it in Carolina?
Speaker 3: It was in Carolinas. Yeah, we were Wafford College, Spartan Burks out Wawford. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was there through the whole preseason and then and then moved over to football Ops for the season.
Speaker 3: I was kind of doing a little bit of player development.
Speaker 4: I was helping the equipment guys, like I was folding tiles, helping a practice. And then halfway through the season they started traveling me on the road to help the equipment guys. I'm holding rain jackets and things for the guys that rub their cleats all and like whatever need to be done. You just it's all hands on deck. And then after that season they hired me full time as a football ops assistant, you know, helping set up training camp, lining up travel, picking guys up at the airport, taking them for physicals.
Speaker 1: Who is your most notable pick up at the airport when like a big name free agent came in, Do you have a good story.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I had the funniest visit ever. I had a few. But we brought in on the same day Charles Haley and Nate Newton.
Speaker 1: Carolina.
Speaker 3: I don't remember this to Carolina. So Charles Haley did not sign. I think he ended up signing Detroit, but we signed Nate Newton. That was his last year.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they both get off the same flight from Dallas, like where are they?
Speaker 4: They were not on the same flight, but they knew each other. But they Oh, they obviously knew each other. If you had like one of those cameras in a van. I can't repeat all what was said.
Speaker 3: Uh, there was.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of stuff, but it was We had a lot of laughs.
Speaker 3: And uh it was.
Speaker 4: Cool because as a kid, I'm watching these guys grow up fresh out of college and I'm taking a for a physical and.
Speaker 3: They're busting each other's chops.
Speaker 4: They're telling stories again because they were back together, and I spent an evening, you know, getting them to the hotel and I picked them up at like six thirty in the morning, take them for the physical, they meet the coach, then I take them for lunch, and then they go back and meet some meet some more coaches, and I take them back to the airport and basically Nate Newton's telling them, hey, man, I'm gonna sign here. I love it here, and Charles Haley He's trying to talk Charles Haley into it and I love this ba and forth, and so I go back and report to Marty Hernie what the deal is.
Speaker 3: I'm telling Marty like, well, I think.
Speaker 1: Newton's in fence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's trying to convince him.
Speaker 4: And so it was definitely we covered some r rated and beyond of their life, but it was that was probably the most notable. But I picked up Reggie White as well from that, right, Yeah, yeah, he finished in Carolina as well. One of the nicest.
Speaker 3: People in the world, and it was sad that his life and the way it did.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he was telling me get him, get him out there, pick him up early. He wanted to get in the hot tub for forty minutes to get himself loose, and yes, you know, it's just it was cool. So definitely had some some characters.
Speaker 3: Eric Swan.
Speaker 1: Eric Swan, which is one of my favorite football stories of all time, did not play college football with a six overall pick from the cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was around some cool news. It was it was fun. You learn a lot.
Speaker 1: You also knew a young Steve Smith, right, Yes, yes it was young. What was twenty something? Steve Smith like.
Speaker 3: Even more unfiltered, That's what I would say. But I love him.
Speaker 4: His heart was always genuine. You knew where Steve never hid how he felt. Still really doesn't today. But I would say, Steve, you're still getting a filtered version of Steve. I've seen many unfiltered versions. In the two thousand and one was as unfiltered as a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love all this stuff. Your one piece of advice to a kid who approaches you in the elevator at the combine and says, excuse me, stir. Here's my resume printed out. I'm twenty two years old. I just graduated from John Carroll or I went to Amhurst, and I want to get into being a GM and I drove myself to Indianapolis. What would be your one piece of advice for me getting into the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean to me, it is hard, it really is. But go get experience wherever you're at. If you're in college, go work in the athletic office. If you've got a football program there, go work for there. If you've got a minor league baseball team in town, like, just get skins on the wall. Work with different people. A You're going to meet different people from different walks of life. You may work with someone in an NBA team that actually knows someone in the NFL, or a tripa a baseball team that knows someone in the NBA or the NFL, whatever it is. Just get out there, work. Don't worry about the money. Tell people that do not worry about the money. If you want to be in sports, don't chase the money. Yes, I'm fortunate now, but this was a long shot here. I enjoyed every step of the journey. And if I was, you know, still a football office assistant or you know, director of football operations, whatever titles I've had, I guarantee I would have been just as happy life I was living.
Speaker 3: So you gotta love it. It's crazy hours.
Speaker 4: You got to make sure if you're getting married, girl, you know, a wife or husband or whatever it is, that they are on board the weekends, because I've seen many get in a few years in their their their other half does not like the schedule, and it starts causing some friction and they got to make a move. So just try to tell them to be upfront with whoever their significant other is and and you know, just just be ready for if you're living in one side of the country and someone calls you the other side, be able to apartment up in a day and say I'll.
Speaker 1: Be there tomorrow, Brandon, I love this. And back to the significant other thing. Here's what I've learned now that I've got two kids and you've obviously your great dad. Be present when you are around, right, make the most of that time, because that's a major compromise. I'm not going to be you know, I'm not going to be there for any weekends over the football season. But hey, I've got a rare job where there are a couple of weeks in June in early July where I am around, Like it, wouldn't you be that? That be your piece of advice to make the most of that time.
Speaker 4: Oh, you got to, you could, because you're going to be a better employee for the organization if if your home life's good and you're doing everything there, if you're if you're leaving things out and you don't want to regret We've seen it in this in this sport where you hear coaches or you know whatever, executives that didn't wann't really around their kids and they missed their whole their whole livelihood or they're you know, watching them play sports or play the piano or whatever their passion, whatever their kids passion is.
Speaker 3: You know, it's very important for me to.
Speaker 4: Make sure to tell our staff here, and I know Sean does as well as Listen, we got plenty of hours, but if your kids playing a game and you can get there, it's not going to interfere with this job. I expect you to be there. It will be pissed if you If.
Speaker 1: You do, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's you.
Speaker 4: Gotta you gotta have that that that balance because it's hard enough as it is with the hour. So when you can get home and support your you know, your significant other and definitely your kids, that's huge.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The last thing you want to do is be great at work and screw it up at home.
Speaker 1: Man, that's great. My last one with you because I texted you earlier this summer that I'm picking up golf for the first time. I've told the podcast listeners my wife has a gift bought me clubs. I got the clubs I got in the course, and I've been trying to mooch off people to be invited to their clubs. I've played the public courses. I've done it all. I've been trying. I'm terrible. But you you've always been playing. So I'm gonna ask you three golf questions. Rattle them off rapid fire. One your favorite golfer at the moment is home.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great one.
Speaker 4: Probably Rory. Yeah, yeah, big Rory fan. And he's actually his wife from Rochester.
Speaker 3: Up here and really yeah and her family.
Speaker 4: Thanks for Okilla, And I think he is a member here at o'kill across the streets. So I've enjoyed watching his game and I think it's it's been cool to watch him Back to PGA.
Speaker 1: Tour, I love it. The coolest course you've played at.
Speaker 3: It's I go back and forth.
Speaker 4: I mean in America, Pebble Beach, just it's just so beautiful. It's not the hardest, but just the scenery is It's crazy. But went to Scotland last summer, did you? And eight of us went over there and the courses over there, I mean, all of them are great, but there's a couple that were just kings barns over there.
Speaker 3: Was was was amazing.
Speaker 4: There was there was a few that were just you know, blow your blow your socks off.
Speaker 3: I loved if you could tell me I.
Speaker 4: Can go anywhere to play golf for a week right now, Scotland.
Speaker 3: I would go right back to Scotland really and do that again. It's it's did I see.
Speaker 1: That the Ryder Cup is in Italy this year?
Speaker 3: I don't know it made someone said that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that sounds cool. So uh, back to the Scout. Have you ever played on I assume you've been to the Masters because I see Josh Allen there all the time. I figure he's taking his GM who's paying hie hundred million dollars, He's going to take you as a guest, right.
Speaker 4: I have not gotten to play it, but I have. I did meet someone this year, you know, through someone at the Kentucky Derby and they're planning to take me out there.
Speaker 3: You know I was going to do it.
Speaker 4: I actually doing a pot I did a podcast with him that's coming out later.
Speaker 1: So whatever, don't any money, let me just come.
Speaker 3: That was the deal.
Speaker 4: Do the podcast and we would go out to uh Augustus. So that's supposedly coming up sometime in the next twelve months.
Speaker 1: Dude, I can't wait. And my last one with the golf because I think when Nick, you know, I'm a casual, your real deal. What's the best round you've ever played? And where did you play it?
Speaker 4: The best round was sixty nine. It was a country club in Buffalo back here. I shot it in the summer of twenty eighteen. It was my second summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, at double bogie the first hole, Did you really.
Speaker 1: Because I was going to say, like, when you have a round like that, do you even have room for a bogie or is it just par park the whole way?
Speaker 4: Yeah, screwed up and bladed a sandwich on the first hole across the green and ended up making double and after that I had no blem issues. I had three birdies after that to get It's a par seventy, so I got got.
Speaker 3: It back to one under.
Speaker 1: Have you read a home on one?
Speaker 3: Yes, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Look, if I asked you, like, who was the third round picker that you guys had last year, you might you might you might stumble No. Two thousand and eight. Where was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a place called the Witch. It's down in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. So I was playing with a few guys down there, and yeah, it was. It was on the back now I think it was Hold twelve was one hundred and sixty yards and the guys in the group's all going before I did.
Speaker 3: I thought they were messing with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotcha, I started it was.
Speaker 3: It was wild.
Speaker 1: The parallels of playing golf and being a GM are there any? Do you see any similarities? Or is this your total? You know, take your foot off the pedal. That's where you go to escape.
Speaker 3: It is where I go to escape.
Speaker 4: I mean you listen, like in anything that you that you want to be good at, to be mentally tough, and you're gonna have adversity.
Speaker 3: You can have adversity on the course. You can have adversity in this job, and.
Speaker 4: So just find the positive from it and learn from what you did wrong.
Speaker 3: And so those are probably the parallels.
Speaker 1: Love it, Brandon, No thirty five minutes, Just like that. Appreciate it, bro, fantastic.
Speaker 3: Easy, always easy with you, buddy, anytime you know that great.
Speaker 1: I've got to make my super Bowl pick in the next couple of weeks. It might be Bills, it might not be, but you don't hold it against me when it's not right. No, no, no, it's usually wrong anyway.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, everybody picked us last year, so I just assumed nobody pick us, and let's just.
Speaker 1: Be probably better off. Let's go play football. Bill's Jets Monday night, Week one. Brandon Bean, you'll be up in that in that booth watching with your binoculars. I'm sure I'll see you on the broadcast and hopefully i'll see you there. You're the man. Thanks for joining GM and the Buffalo Bills. Brandon Bean.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Peter, I'll see you so, buddy.
Speaker 1: Brandon Bean's the man. I love having him on and I'm rooting for him, I really am. I feel like a Bill super Bowl one of these years would be a great thing for the city, but also for that guy, as you could tell, good friend of mine and a great, great evaluator. Another good friend of mine is on the phone at the moment. Yes, the phone. He doesn't do zoom, he doesn't do riverside, he doesn't do any of these things. He does the phone. And then we have to use his audio from the phone. Whould drop it And it's one of my best friends from growing up, and he's been a regular guest during the football season. You haven't heard from a much. It's my buddy, Dietro Deetro. What's up, man, Peter Schrager.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me back again. Every time I'm on, it's always a tough follow. Now I'm following Brandon Bean.
Speaker 1: Brandon Bean's an Executive of the Year, one of the greatest GMS in the last twenty years. And now here you are a childhood pala mine and you are the main event or the dessert, however you want to put it. But I want to bring you on specifically, not for your football thoughts. I know you've got football thoughts. I know you've got lots of thoughts on Saquan's contract, but more about what these next few days meant to you and me as kids. And let me explain to the listeners. Dietro and I went to summer camp together. This is not for everyone. This is very niche a Northeast thing, if you will. Dietro and I went to summer camp together. We didn't grow up in the same town. He grew up in a town in Long Island. I grew up in New Jersey. Our parents could not stand us. They would send us away to a sleepway camp where we learn how to build fires and sing songs and tell scary stories and do pranks. But the last few days of the summer camp season was something called color war. And right now colour war is starting at our camp, Camp La Conda, where we went, and camps across the main Pennsylvania, Upstate New York, locate, geography, whatever you want to say. Camps are all going on right now, and it's colour war. It's the last thing of the summer detro. Why don't you tell our listeners who may have never heard of summer camp or never heard of color war, what color war is?
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 7: Taking to the fact that you start up at summer camp right around the third week of June, so you're there for about six weeks in a row, and it's you and call it maybe about twenty other guys that are in your age group, and the whole summer all you're doing, you're hanging out, you're having a good time, you're playing sports, you're going swimming, you're doing everything that's just based around you. Just having fun for six straight weeks at a summer camp, and it's unbelievable. And then all of a sudden, the last week of camp, they say, Okay, there's four hundred campers or so that are here this summer.
Speaker 3: We are going to split you up into two teams.
Speaker 7: There's two hundred on this side and two hundred on that side, and it goes by age, whatever group that you're in. And for the next three and a half to four days, you are going to be split up with the guys or girls your age, and you are just gonna do every athletic competition against one another in just wild competitive nature, scores being kept.
Speaker 3: Everybody's split apart. It tears you.
Speaker 7: It tears you apart so much that the old saying in slip boy camps was.
Speaker 3: No color war in the bunks.
Speaker 6: Remember that beater, no color, No color were allowed on the bunks. When you're out on the soccer field, the basketball court, that color war.
Speaker 3: You're up.
Speaker 7: If you're out in the dining hall and you sit at the table, says color are You're screaming back and forth, back and forth at each other. But when you get back to the bunk, everybody has to take a step back. No Color were allowing the bunks because otherwise you'd overflow.
Speaker 8: And just it would be too competitive that there might be fights that are up in the bunk and you just spend three or four days doing everything competitive against the guy that maybe slept in the bunk bed above who it was your best friend for the past six weeks, and now you guys hate each other because.
Speaker 6: You're on opposite sides of the aisle.
Speaker 7: It's it's just the most amazing four day span of the summer for you.
Speaker 6: And this right now, this sort of second week of August.
Speaker 7: If you're someone who's in our age bracket and you went to Sleepway camp, did this. If you're logging on the Facebook, you're logging on Instagram, whatever it is you, you your friends.
Speaker 6: Of yours that I have kids.
Speaker 7: You're seeing all the live stories that are popping up, and everything is happening you.
Speaker 6: You can't escape it. But then it's so amazing, and all of a sudden, guys you haven't spoken to twenty years are texting you and being like, oh my god, you remember this from Color. Remember It's just the most amazing flashback. I love it.
Speaker 1: We were texting about it. It's like I got to come on the podcast and explain the school field. Don't even know it is. But I don't remember who won Color War any year, but I remember exploits from Color War, like I remember there was something called the relay and then you heroically threw a softball through a tire before our friend. And it's still it was probably thirty years ago, it's still one of your best athletic moments, if not your best life moments.
Speaker 7: Right, It's something that set me up for the path of success.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you threw a softball through attire?
Speaker 6: I was fifteen?
Speaker 1: And what would you say? How did that set you up for a path of success?
Speaker 7: It just let you know you win there. You always have that story in your back pocket. You'll always do. And you know, as you get a little bit older and you grow up on Long Island or in New Jersey or in that camping world, as you go off to college and you start to meet new people, you start to sort of make connections and you meet someone who knows someone or a friend of a friend, and it's it's the most amazing icebreaker you can have, is if you know a camp's friend's friend or a friend of somebody who went to camp with someone you know, or something like that. And right away you bring up Colorward, you bring up the souffle throat. They know, everyone knows how it is because every camp out there has some sort of a final event that everybody's watching that when you're eight, nine, ten years old, you wish.
Speaker 6: And you hope and you can't wait to be.
Speaker 3: Able to do that.
Speaker 7: And then when you actually do it and you win, you're able to tell that story to anybody who's been in the camper world and they get it and they respect it, and the ice is broken, and you can discuss anything you want, whether it's friends, if you're in the business.
Speaker 6: World, anything you want. The walls come down and any the doors are open to you.
Speaker 1: Todd, thank you. Let me ask you one more question because you had to take that no one else had. Sean Payton's comments on Nathaniel Hackett go I.
Speaker 6: Mean me personally, I kind of love those comments. I mean, the Broncos.
Speaker 7: Were more or less the worst team in the league last year, and you know, Nathaniel Hackett, whether whether it's his fault or not, he's the head coach that's all his fault.
Speaker 6: They hired Sean Payton for a reason.
Speaker 3: John Payton and.
Speaker 6: Has a long line of credibility behind him.
Speaker 7: You know, there's very few coaches left in the league that have Lombardi Trophy's sitting on their walls.
Speaker 6: Right there. He has the right and the credibility to come in and turn things around and say what he has to say to gain his team moving forward. What does he care what he has to say about the Jets?
Speaker 1: Rightfully? So there it is. Can wait to have you on during the season again. Go enjoy your summer and I'll text you about color all right, buddy, love it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: There you go, guys, that's the season with Peter Schreger. We have the usual monologue. We had a guest in Brandon Bean, and we had my buddy Detro. We are in regular season form right now. I want to thank everybody back at the LA Studios. I want to thank the great Aaron Wan Kaufman. I want to thank Brandon Bean, my buddy Ditro, and of course Jason English and all the folks who put this thing together. Keep on coming back next week. We got some good ones. We're gonna start doing this. I thought this would be interesting. We're gonna get our usual array of guess but I don't like necessarily like the fantasy football and al But there are certain fantasy football podcasts that I really like some of the people on there, and I thought we would serve one of these weeks do a little fantasy football preview. Maybe we won't. We'll see, but I'm thinking next week we're gonna do it, and it's gonna be good. Hang tight, listen, and go win your league till next time. This is the Season with Peter Schreger. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.