Speaker 1: Look out.
Speaker 2: It's only films to be buried with Hello, films to be buried with Crewe. I trust you are all fantastic. This is your producer, Buddy Peace checking in on behalf of your regular host Brett Goldstein, just to keep you posted on what's happening with this and a couple of future episodes of films to be buried with podcast. Basically, due to the ongoing SAG after a strike, we will be temporarily on pause and there will be a few rewind episodes or rewind classics as Brett would call them, on deck for you to check out. Essentially, these are re released episodes, but I've gone back and sifted through to give them a little bit of a polish and a little trim here and there where necessary. So there are a great chance to catch up on some past show from our archives with guests you either know or have missed, perhaps or maybe people you'll yet to be acquainted with and would enjoy this week. In an episode originally aired on February the twenty first, twenty nineteen, another pre pandemic one Were We Ever So Young, Brett is joined by the fabulous comic Athena Coblenu, who at the time of recording was a mere seven weeks into her new position as parent. It's a truly enjoyable get together which was recorded in person and has a delightful energy which you'll definitely get on board with from the start. For those potentially unaware, this podcast is also available on Patreon in an ad free incarnation, along with a full extra section which is only available to subscribers, and there are some video options as well. It is an awesome way to get more from the podcast and support the work that you enjoy, so if it's something within your means, it's a really nice thing to do. Check out a patreon dot com slash. Brett Goldstein Sojo episode two hundred and seventy, which was originally episode thirty two, a Rewarn classic with the wonderful Athena Kaplin You.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, Welcome to Films to be Buried with. I am Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by a hit actor, a writer at stand up and a brand new mother literally weeks ago. Please welcome to the show. The brilliant athene Es. Now, a couple of things I'd like to say about you, if I may, I first saw you to stand up because I went to see my friend Amiannette and Amiannette macfirst.
Speaker 3: That's where we first.
Speaker 1: Met Mac first. Yes, you, Amyenette and Bischa Ali. Yes, we're doing a threes up. And I didn't know you too, but I knew Aim in it and you were fucking I mean you were all firing brilliant, but you were brilliant, and I thought, oh, she's good this one. And the other thing I wanted to say about you is you have had a baby. Congratulations, had a baby seven weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, seven weeks ago, so she's yeah, just over seven weeks old.
Speaker 1: Now, congratulations, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But what is interesting is to me is that I emailed you to ask you to be on the show and you said, yes, I'm about to have a baby, but should be fine dates, and I thought I'm never going to hear from her again. And then I believe you emailed me on the day you'd given birth or something, and I thought you must be high on drugs and you were like, it's fine, Actually I feel fine.
Speaker 3: I could come to I probably was pie, but I normally am. So it was like, no, I'm I don't know I'm a very I tend to overpromise, right, but I also over promised and just deliver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think I must have said I'm a baby, just give me a couple of weeks, but then I should be okay.
Speaker 1: And I said, don't you know, obviously see how it goes, and I think it's fine.
Speaker 3: It is fine. I guess it's fine. But I'm very lucky because my baby is pretty chilled out at the moment. You know, I always say to people, she only cries when she's hungry or naked, so there are very easily rectified situations, you know. Yeah, she takes off to the dad, don't cut that, keep in, so that's quite you know, that's easy enough. And other times when she's crying, she's just fussing because she can't see a mobile or because I've changed the channel, so that's kind of easy. And I'm at home with somebody who does all the cooking and cleaning, to the point where I'm actually dying to like do some cooking cleaning. Yeah, because I'm a fairly I like to do stuff. I don't really like to be waited upon. You know, my time for that will come you know, but right now. So when you have that and you're just with the baby, they're surprisingly easy to manage. So we need to support. So what I'm saying is, if you're putting off kids, don't do that. They're really easy. If you want to support, have kids. Don't worry about that. Have kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and that concludes you're probably.
Speaker 3: Worried about like the stress. Just get someone. See the washing and cooking. That's the thing, that's the that's the hard thing. This is not what you put us.
Speaker 1: It's about no, it is now.
Speaker 3: The hard thing is because you're doing with the baby, you can't do with anything else. So it's the housework, it's the cooking, it's the shopping so you can get that stuff sorted.
Speaker 1: Babies looks great, fun mate, So I just need a full time worker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need a full time worker. I think they call them mums. That's what they call them. I think, which actually I'm a mom. Oh no, that doesn't work because I might have to do that. Scratch that.
Speaker 1: What I've told you is you're like twenty years, twenty thirty years away from this, yeah for that route.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, then I don't want this podcast to come back to walk me to play it to me? Is excuse me? You send this podcast that moms do all the work, so yeah, you might have to cut that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I mean, quite amazing. And is it is this like can I ask this? And I don't mean this only because I know answer been out a lot well.
Speaker 3: Yet no, away from the baby, not a lot. Actually, yeah, it's probably this is actually borrowing a couple of hospital visits that were I'm planned. There wasn't a big deal, but I had to just get some stitches sorted out. Yeah, yeah, you shouldn't say things like that without because it's not a big deal, but it sounds like a big deal. Yeah. Yeah, but this is the second time I've been out without her, both work related. That's how ambitious I am. That's how hungry I am, guys, or is it like no, it's actually quite I think at the moment, I'm spending all my time with her, so when she's not with me, I'm like there's something missing, you know. I'm like, it's like leaving the house about your trousers on. It's like, so, yeah, I do feel a little bit, and I feel bad because I didn't move in with my mum to her to do childcare stuff. But I've actually been like, yeah, just popping out seeing a few hours. But she likes it too, she likes having alone time with the grandchild. But yeah, don't necessarily enjoy being away from her. But I think it's a healthy thing to do.
Speaker 1: I think it's good because it means you've got you've got new stories. First, you know, she'll be like, what have you been up to? And you have like if you've been hanging out all the time, yeah, and also.
Speaker 3: What exactly, And she's very interested in my day. She's a very selfless child, like, get that nipple out of my mouth, Mum, you tell me about how Brett is. Tell me about So she's good like that, But if you're around the baby all the time, it's not great. You just you lose your vocabulary because the only words you know are oh, you know, you lose. You stopped forming complete sentences. So it's quite healthy, I think to get out. And also it's I have to get used to asking people to do things for me when you're when you're a parent, you have to get used to whether you're in a kind of situation where you're with your partner, or you could be in the most heteronormative, you know, position where you've got all the help in the world, but you have to ask for the help, which is quite a hard thing to do. We're not used to it, the feel used to it. So to ask for help is that it's quite good to get the practicing. So can you watch her for a couple of weeks or whatever?
Speaker 1: So, man, that's interesting. Do you like films?
Speaker 3: Do I like films? Funny to last that, Yeah, I do like films. Yeah, I'm into films. I like films. Who doesn't even think? Yeah, well, if they do, they do like films, they just don't like good ones. Yeah you know what I mean. Like I used to go out the guy who didn't like films, but he thought The Fast and the Furiust was like the best movie ever. So ifact he thought the best movie ever was the remake of Charlie's Angels, you know, they child one with Drew Barrymore. And then yeah, so he liked films, He just liked rubbish films. So it's like, you're not gonna like movies if you only like rubbish movies, If that makes sense. Yes, So they just needed education. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: So do you go to the cinema and stuff?
Speaker 3: I do cinema. I went cinema. My baby loved it. When I was pregnant, she loved going to the cinema. Yeah, she would. Well, she either loved it or hated it because she because I couldn't tell because she was in me. But she used to bounce around low to the She was into crazy rich Asians like that, and she liked Black Clansmen too. Those are her two favorite movies. Yeah, yeah, yeah, she went nuts for crazy. For crazy, it's Asians. I think you know. That movie just made me really hungry. The shots of the food, it was like Master Chef, but like on a big screen. It was phenomenal. So I got quite excited whilst watching it. So I think she got quite excited whilst watching that based on that. And she liked Black Landsmen too, So yeah, she's got taste a ready.
Speaker 1: That's really good. That is a really good baby. I mean, Black Clansman is maybe my film.
Speaker 3: It's a great film, and I wasn't. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to be good. I think sometimes with Spike Lee, your expectations to be super high. Yeah, and sometimes it can. I don't know, you can get lost in the spike leism of the movies. That makes sense, you know, Spike must be good. But I really like Blacklands Men because it had a really nice central humor about it, and it was really undramatic, and it was really satisfying. It was so nice to watch a movie that had a satisfying ending in this in this economy we need things should just work out. In fact, because of that, I'm going to change one of the answers to my questions.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah, all right. Oh I think I've forgotten to tell you something. Oh God, it's really bad that I haven't told you. Oh, especially with all it's going on. I should have told you this.
Speaker 3: Top I'm dying to know. Now what have you told me?
Speaker 1: I don't even I hope you're going to be all right with it, but oh shit, well I'll just well, I'll just come out of it. I guess you've died.
Speaker 3: Oh no, where did I die?
Speaker 1: Now? How did you die?
Speaker 3: How did I die? I died Yeah as a ninety seven year old. Yeah, but having done drugs all week because I don't really do drug I don't like being out of control. I'm a control for you. But it would be like extity on a Monday, kept them on a Tuesday, cocaine on a Wednesday, heroin a Thursday, you know, a meth on a Friday. So that way, that's the best time, just to find out what it's like to be that hiy on those.
Speaker 1: Drugs and then you die from an overdose, which is your body exploded.
Speaker 3: What probably yeah, just just an overdose, really an overdose eventually after week of that. I'd like to be it was an overdose. I take the week of that and it can run over my car. That would be really really silly. But actually, well maybe that would be a great way to do, to do all those drugs and still not die.
Speaker 1: Tell me again, exercise, was there an order came in on Tuesday? Wednesday? Yeah, and then the meth. You went running like a mad person into the street and.
Speaker 3: You go, yeah, that sounds like a nice way to go.
Speaker 1: I think that's great. Yeah, I mean I'd be for that way of day.
Speaker 3: Intrigued. I'm just intrigued to know what those drugs feel like. The only thing I'd do is alcohol, right, So I'm probably missing out on something because people come millionaires with that stuff. Yeah, that's yeah, that's that's how I died.
Speaker 1: It's a great death. Do you worry about death?
Speaker 3: Not especially. I'm quite risk of us. So that's probably why I don't worry about death, because I'm I take every precaution to not die in my life.
Speaker 1: But that would suggest you're worried about death.
Speaker 3: No, no, No, I'm risk averse. That's different. I'm worried about dying because I've got stuff to do, but I'm not worried about death.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I can imagine on the way here, if I didn't take these precautions, then I wouldn't have made it. Then we wouldn't be having that conversation, this conversation.
Speaker 1: So you're worry more about missing out in life. Yeah, death itself doesn't scale.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not especially worried about. In fact, death in many ways is great because you finally get the answers to all of the questions.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you some good news, good news. There is an after life, just as we predicted. There's a heaven and it's great and they're so pleased to see you there. Also, so that mac Fairs is a huge fan.
Speaker 3: Oh, brilliant that got me to heaven.
Speaker 1: But they just want to talk about films. I want to talk about your life through films. And the first question they ask you is what is the first film you remember seeing.
Speaker 3: It's the Animal Olympics. Don't look like that on every It's on every Christmas. I have no idea who made it. I have no idea where this movie came from. It's just the movie about animals that partake in sport. No, it's a cartoon. It's from like if I could date it. I think it's from the seventies. But it's the Animal Olympics. And I tried to google the Animal Olympics at the Animal Olympics and I couldn't find this movie. So I think I've made it up. But it's generally true and it's on I'm sure it's on every Christmas, every Chris. I'm oh, the Animallympics are on. I'm going to watch this because it was with my childhood.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't exist on Google.
Speaker 3: Well it probably, I'll be honest, it was a lack loss to search a child. Let me look at let me look for it now. But it's the.
Speaker 1: Animals and there might be people listening going, Yes, the Animal Olympics. I have to admit it's not ringing.
Speaker 3: It's a film from the nineteen from nineteen eighty and ninety seven. People will like.
Speaker 1: This movie ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a sick movie. Man, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: It's literally animals doing Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what I say about it. But I just remember loving it.
Speaker 1: I made it. Second, I'm googling it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should google it.
Speaker 1: Wait in a second, I do recognize this and Crystal, it's the.
Speaker 3: Animal okay, the Animal Olympics.
Speaker 1: Then if you said that, where I can find it.
Speaker 3: It's spelled differently, Billy Crystal did a vorce and it Harry Shearer, Oh my gosh, I have no idea. That's great taste. This is but made by Liz Burger Studios, the world famous animation studios up there with and that's probably why. So now you that you've got to find that and you'll love it. You had a very unhappy childhood because you never watched animal.
Speaker 1: That was the problem. I had a very.
Speaker 3: But they never showed you that animal.
Speaker 1: How old were you do you remember?
Speaker 3: I can't remember, maybe five or six, maybe old enough to be conscio just of being in front of the TV and watching it And where was this in my living room in my house? Where in North London?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I've got a twin brother and an older brother, so I should have asked a few members of animals because we would have watched it together. But I think there's something about what's the word for when you make animals like humans? And yeah, I wanted you. There's something about that that children just love, isn't it. That's why we like the Jungle Book and all that stuff. And not only did they do that thing, they made them the Olympics. And I liked sport, so this is great. This is like, this is like watching sport done by animals. Like sport is just humans pretend to be animals, isn't it when you think about it, Like the long jump, that's all we do we started. Rather than like mess about on computers and writing books, we just actually know we're lyings racing each other. Yeah, that's why I liked it so much, because philosophically, it's just basically humans acting like that that they are, but getting animals at like humans.
Speaker 1: Wow, there you go. How old is your older brother?
Speaker 3: He's thirteen years older than me.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you close to it? Everywhere?
Speaker 3: Family? Where's this going? Podcastal therapy?
Speaker 1: So do you remember the first one we saw the cinema?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would have been the cartoon version of Human and sheirare, oh, yeah, because we used to get I don't know if this is a real memory. We used to get dumped at the cinema for the Saturday Club whilst my mom would do shopping. Right, this is this is a thing. Kids used to get dumped in places whilst parents went off to do stuff, but not places with supervision. These were childcare places, just anywhere, like go play in the part for two hours whilst I go and do something else. So you can't you can't do that now because of Trump. I think I can't remember what you got, so, yeah, it would have been. That's the first film I remember being the cinema for.
Speaker 1: Did you love it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course we loved Heman and we had all the toys and we used to watch the cartoon every Saturday morning and every day really, and it was I remember getting feeling really invested in their characters because he managed she Ra we're brother and sister, and I had am. So that gives you the exbit of investment in the story because you just think, oh, yeah, man, like, I'm sure, Ra like, that's we have so much in common. She ra, Let's hang out. I've got a brother. You've got brother. You know, I've got knives at home. You've got sword. You know that's cool. I've got face, you've got facet's hang out. So that's the first. Yeah, I don't have any memory of going cinema before that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a pretty good start. What is the film that scared you the most.
Speaker 3: I knew the answer to this instantly. That was The Descent.
Speaker 1: Oh fucking great.
Speaker 3: That's a great film. And the only time I've ever really been scared by a horror movie in the cinema, to the point where I remember this clearly. I was watching it with a friend in the cinema, and after the movie we couldn't go home because I was I went to her house to have sugary tea because it was horrific. Yeah it was. It's a jump movie. It's just got to jump every five minutes, if not every three minutes, and it's hideous and it's I personally have a I don't have a phobia of it. But I think one of the worst ways to die probably be trapped in a cave underground. When you hear about these stories like those kids in Thailand or a Chilian mine, is I feel mortified for because it's just a horrible way to go just being trapped under ground. Yeah, So it takes that and it adds like kind of flesh eating themes. Yeah, and also full of women in that movie before before yeah, before it became a thing before that's like, there's women in this movie.
Speaker 1: It just was.
Speaker 3: It was just a movie led by women, and a prettish movie at that. And they're going to make The Descent too. Did they do that? Oh no, I never watched it. It must have not been very good.
Speaker 1: It's not terrible, but it sort of does. It's a bit like in a way like Psycho Too or something, where it's not a bad film, but it sort of negates the first film because you remember the ending of the first film. Yeah, yeah, it has to sort of break that role and it turns out, oh no, she's got out.
Speaker 3: That's what happens. They make these amazing movies and they don't expect them to be successful, and then they leave them open ended and or they don't leave them ended, and when they're successful, they're like, oh, Okay, she found the ladder, here's the ladder. Whatever. However, I don't know how does she get out? You can, you can?
Speaker 1: She just gets or they find someone that people are like searching with them and they pull her out, but then she has to go back in.
Speaker 3: But she's missing like an arm and a leg because they're fleshyting.
Speaker 1: No, No, she's all right, but they make her go back in and she's all traumatized.
Speaker 3: Right then I left my watch down there something.
Speaker 1: And then they have more more trouble down there.
Speaker 3: See why don't they just have a completely new story of the same but like Inside Number Nine, which isn't a movie, have the everything to be the same but a different set.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, and then you fas women, Yeah, and it's going to be scary but a different thing.
Speaker 3: Or like fifty years later people go down into the save cave, you know, or fifty years ago in the past, but no, they have to ruin it.
Speaker 1: Do you normally like horror films? Yeah? I do.
Speaker 3: I normally enjoy them, but I don't normally get scared by them. I like a good horror movie, Like I still I like Scream. Actually I say like horor movies. I can't think of one that I like. Do you like horror movies?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the water I'm missing out on?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean the one that fucked me up with Hereditary ory Okay, I've not seen that, but I don't even know if I recommend it.
Speaker 3: Because everyone said that was hideous, hideous movies to put me off. Isn't that bad? I'm gonna watch it. I'm gonna make a notices to watch it because everyone said it was like really scary.
Speaker 1: I think it. But basically I think horror. Horror is horror is like comedy because it either works or it doesn't for you. And I know people who I know people who are absolutely terrify the Hereditary and people who can't give his ship movie Insidious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a really good horror movie. In fact, underrated people when you know about it. Yeah, but I saw that in a cinema. I saw that with the cinema with a guy. He was terrified. It was that cliche of like the role river, so he was absolutely terrified by this movie. But I could see what he was terrified you on a date? Yeah, he was. It was my ex. Yeah, but I always remember in that movie. I might be making this up, there's a scene where there's a box and we're like, what's in the box, And I've got a phobia of an animal. I'm gonna name the animals. I'm scared of it. I'm scared if I tell people what it is, they'll tweet me switches off it anyway, And I remind me, no way, because you're anyway. I'll tell you afterwards when the when the recordings off, and you can tweet it. In my life, I wouldn't be anyway. I remember thinking, oh my god, oh, never I seen empty box. I think that animals is in the box because I scared of the animal, terrified, And then in that movie that animal was in the box and I was so that scared me.
Speaker 1: But I think I know the animal, and I think my the movie animal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most people, most normal people do. It's ordinary fabua to have.
Speaker 1: Because the fucking weird animal. To be fair, let's talking about it. What's the film that made Oh? Hang on, I do want to know this genuinely. If I may. You're on a date with your ex he's terrified, You're not, but he's acting scared. Does it make you find him more or less attractive?
Speaker 3: Oh, ask a question? Possibly a bit less. I knew it. I stayed the same, nothing changed, No, probably less or more. I don't know. I guess in terms of you always judge people that it's finely, gonna talk about this later, but you always judge people their taste. You can't help it, So maybe think of it this is a bit light. Wait do you know, like come on, like if this scares you, like, wait, wait, we talk about marriage, you know, we're talking about the real scary stuff. So part of me was probably like a little bit like I think at first I was like, oh, this is quite cute. But then when he started shivering and stuff, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, how are you going to look after me?
Speaker 3: Exactly scared of this bus? So exactly how you're going to kill the spiders and stuff? More or less, I would say, if I'm going to be accurate, I will say slightly, slightly less. But these things really depend on all these other kind of variables, like where you start off with with the person, you know, how much you like the other things you know, but they might be scared of movies, but they might have no fear of other things like commitment. So so it really depends.
Speaker 1: This is why if the film is going to be said, I go on my own and I do not take a lady because from.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, yeah. Absolutely. If a cry, if a guy shared it, well, again depends on the movie. If it's Beaches ball Away, you're not human if you don't cry that film, you know. But if you know, if it's like I don't know something there, yeah, why that means you clearly do not want to be in a relationship with me. If you cry, you're in Basically that's not the heterosexual male reaction to basic That's the movie. When we were kids, when I was young, like in primary school, that came out all the kind of all the horny young boys like there's a movie. Basically we've got to watch it, and now we look at it, and that's the tamest. That's the tamest movie. I think a parther than the leg Cross. There's nothing. What else happened in the movie.
Speaker 1: I can tell you.
Speaker 3: Because it made you cry so much, maybe going to get in touch with your emotions. There were some really crap sexual movies made in the ac.
Speaker 1: It was before we had Yeah, do you remember Sliver? I remember Sliving?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that and basically every David the Coffee movie ever did that. Yeah, of course. Yeah, that's we were very repressed in the eighties. Americans because they were all American movies are very repressed. They just made really bad movies about sex, and that made little.
Speaker 1: Always with the billow and curtain always.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always thought, closed your window and it's quite windy.
Speaker 3: Out a lot of Yeah, the last thing you whilst you're having sex is a windows a cold gas wide open. Yeah, just blowing things around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can we speak? Speaking of their crying, what's the film that made to you cry?
Speaker 3: The most rabbit proof friends? From the star of that movie to the end of that movie. I think it's a hideous history and it's really and it's tool for the eyes of children, and it's yeah, what can Anyone who doesn't cry in that movie is probably racist. Yeah, no, it's to tell. If anyone doesn't hasn't seen the movie. I do recommend it because it's right. I'm terrid with all that kind of stuff. I have no idea who directed it or wrote it, but it's supposed to be a true story, and yeah, and it's really sad. And it's sad because it doesn't have happy ending. It has a it has a really bittersweet ending. Yeah if you don't know if you remember it, but can can we do sport? It's basically about it's basally about three abidinal children, these three girls who are kidnapped and they get taken into like almost like a workhouse and from their families and this face is thousands of miles frowhere they originally from and they decide to escape, and the three of them eventually escape. But what happens is, to cut a long story short, two of them make it and one of them doesn't. And then you cut to the two people who do make it right at the end, and they tell you that the third person actually died, and they talk about how the reason it's really sad is because of this epilogue. I think, I mean, I was crying whole way through it. But eflog's terrible because they say it didn't just end there because then they had children, and these two girls had their children taken away, and it sort of it sort of makes you realize like it's a story about kind of what happened to Aboriginal people in Australia, and it makes you realize it didn't just happen like to one person or one people. It happened there with generations, you know. But the way the movie is filmed and the way it's played out on screen just it's heart it's literally heartbreaking every scene and you want them to succeed so badly, and oh the sad thing is you it's got collaborators, and so there are Aboriginal men in the movie that betray them, which is like quite common I think in these kind of societies where people sort of think it's oh, it's sort of Europeans against like the indigenous people, but actually there are advantages to people who come onto the side Europeans. It's survival, Yeah, it's survival. And also they're indoctrinated too, so they might hate themselves, so they believe that what they're doing is for the greater good. It has everything that's sad about everything that's ever happened in the world in terms of like colonization and imperialism and racism is in that movie. And it's not necessarily something that we're that educated about. War wale of as well kind of other you know, people know about South Africa, people kind of know about North America, but it's we kind of we know that there's a there's an all history attached to the way Australia is colonized, but we don't see it as a colony as such, and we don't see it's post colonial. And I think that's why we forget the violence of that history. So yeah, I pretty much cried throughout the whole of that film.
Speaker 1: History is really bad, isn't it. It is the more you learn, the where you go.
Speaker 3: Ever make movies about happy history, Yeah, well, if they do, it's to celebrate something some white dude like sea biscuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, person doing as it's.
Speaker 3: Like a thirteen or something like that. But when it comes to the history of nations and people, it's normally just about oppression and death, injustice and sadness. But yeah, what happens to these three girls is unforgivable. I think that I don't know what's happened to the two surviving women, but it's it's depression. I don't want to talk about anymore.
Speaker 1: Stuck, Sorry you're stuck crying now? Yeah, yeah, definitely that's okay, that's all right, it happens, Philip, No, it's the director also made the film Dead Calm.
Speaker 3: Did he really have not seen the Calm? Exactly? What that made me cry?
Speaker 1: That would not make you cry? Thriller?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: I think Nicole Kimmon's second film, and it's got Sam kneeling and it's got Billy zaying.
Speaker 3: What a great cast. That is a great cast it would have been at the time.
Speaker 1: It's really it's really great. I always asked this, what happened to Billy Day is he was should have been massive? Yeah. Theory I think Jay Adams had this there, and I think she's right, is that it was in Titanic, and because everyone loves Titanic so much and he hit Kate Winslet, we never forgave him for.
Speaker 3: It really was the end of we need to revisit that. I think we need.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: I think that that's exactly what she deserved to be hit. I found a quite moony in that movie. I found it extremely moaning. Right at the end of the movie when she kind of doesn't bother to lift it out from the cold, harsh sea. She deserved a smack. Yeah, quite frankly, Now I found her whiny and MONY felt the whole movie, and I never lost my love for Billy Billy come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who'll be next?
Speaker 3: Bond?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's a film that's meant to be bad critically? It's not very well like most people think it's ship, but you're like, I love this film. I don't care.
Speaker 3: So I actually have a few for these, but I don't think these are critically bad movies. So the first one, obviously is Commando, which is which is a great film. I don't understand any critic that doesn't like it because it's got all It's got all the best lines in it. You know when I said you last, I lie, he's dead tired, all that stuff that's brilliant, Like you can't take the Judus, all that kind of stuff. Also, all the actresses and actors in that movie went on to become big things. So what great casting. Yeah, there's a little girl whose name I forget, who's famous now it's obviously Arnie, and there's other people in there. Hu, but I know that guy. You know, it's one of those movies. I know that guy. So that's and it's just yeah, it's and if it's on and your channel flicking and Commandos on, you found your evening, you're even you're saw it. Yeah, you're not gonna change that channel. So command is a great film. I always watch it if it's if it's on, the other one is I think this is critically a good film. But just in case people aren't aware of how great a movie is The Bodyguard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think The Bodyguard was sort of like a three star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not enough. It's a five star movie. Yeah, it's brilliant. It's a great movie. It has the best scenes, it's got Whitney, it's got Kevin Costner at the height of his powers. This is Field of Dreams Era. Isn't that great movie?
Speaker 1: I love I love that film. That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is quite sad. It's quite sad that the James L. Jones character, all the pathos is with him, really and he's like and he's lost you. It's a beautiful filled the dreams. So like Kevin was like a cool guy. It's got a great scripts. It's really really snappy, it's got it's got it's got family, jealousy and betrayal, it's got psychos. So, yeah, the Bodyguard is a film that I think it's got So it's got songs. Yeah, it's got the best of them in fact that you don't really get. You know, when you watch movies like dream Girls and stuff, I always feel like they're not that great. They're just glamorous, you know, they're just like really great singers singing songs, but just like boring nothing much else happens. But The Bodyguard just is actually a really good film. And I think it feels like I done roll very well.
Speaker 1: By guy does not come up on here that I would accept that as your answer?
Speaker 3: Good, yea, that's my answer, were great? Did accept it? Then we have to cut it in keep another movie. I do have another movie, you want the Rock, But it can't be like critically acclaimed because Nick Cage is in it. It has everything. It's got made up science and Sean Connery, who I always feel like it's a all shame his career petered out. Yeah, it kind of. I think he just made a few really terrible films in his as he got older, and he just could quit because you've had enough.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was entrapment?
Speaker 3: Entrapment definitely, and the League of gentlemen.
Speaker 1: I think he said he never wanted to make a film again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think he turned down Gandalf. So that was the thing that made me think I forget this business because that could have been. Imagine if Sean Connory had been Gandalf. I didn't need it. He's a really big he didn't need it. Spread the love. And do you think there's like a real rivalry between like all the old white all the old white.
Speaker 1: Actors, probably after like Alec Guinness did Star Wars and when he did Star Wars he was like, I don't know what, yeah right, he was going anytime an old white actor gets offered a sort of fancy take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll do DC, they'll do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's so I feel I feel bad because Sean Connery, I think in that movie is great.
Speaker 1: He is great. And it's also the thing about The Rock that I like other than everything is it's a good bad guy. The bad guys causes just like yeah, yeah, yeah wrong, yeah, but his point is valid.
Speaker 3: It's not a boring kind of like I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Take over the world. He's like, you owe us for ship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It makes the action seems really really fun because you kind of kind of for both of them, it's all win win.
Speaker 1: What is a film that you used to love, you loved it years ago, and then you've watched it recently and you've gone, oh, dear, this is not dated.
Speaker 3: Well right, don't hate me, but it's the Blues Brothers. That's just what's the point of that movie? Nothing happens.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna hate you. I mean, it's a scriptures.
Speaker 3: I feel nothing happens. And I kind of think there's a lot of eighties movies that are supposed to be mostly with John Belushi, that's supposed to be hilarious, Like I don't like What's the College one where they go yeah, even yeah, even at my house. I sort of watched that, and I just think this is just a bunch of people who were giving a cocaine budget, had a bit more money to film something, and they film it and everyone thinks just hilarious. But I sort of feel like if I made that movie now, I just wouldn't work again, Like I don't think I would. But the Breeth Budders in particular, I think, for I think what people like are the kind of imagery that's come out of it. So they remember that stupid thing about the sunglasses with dark Moron and sunglasses, that thing, they remember the suits, remember the scene with no the singer he just died recently, I've got this is my baby, Aretha Frankin is my baby? Remember that? And that's it. But if you watch the whole movie.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just like a skepch, isn't It's lots of sort of set pieces and music.
Speaker 3: It's boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not saying no sketches of Waring, but I'm saying it's a movie like it's sketch show for nineteen minutes. It's the reason why sketch shows are like twenty two minutes. Yeah, there's a reason why we just watch sketches on YouTube now because we can deal with one and then we have to, like, you know, live our lives. I don't, but so I think I might have liked it when I was young because everyone else liked it and I watched that. The other one is The Jungle, because well, nothing happens in youngle.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey what what just.
Speaker 3: But just just let's let's be clear that nothing happens.
Speaker 1: In the jungle.
Speaker 3: This is except okay, what happens, what happens. What happens is give me a beginning, middle and ends.
Speaker 1: Okay. A baby man cub man cub Yeah, gets sent down the river, left in the jungle. Yeah. Wolves find it, Yeah, raise it as their own.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Grows up a bit now he's like interested in stuff she can who's a tiger wants to kill the man cub Why because the man?
Speaker 3: Obviously stuff happens in loads of shit, but it doesn't feel like loads of stuff happens. It just feels like it could be better.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid I cannot accept that.
Speaker 3: Well, my ass is the Blues Brothers, but second place of Jungle Book, which I feel is an overrated Disney movie. I feel like it moves far too slowly, and I don't like the songs that much, other than Blue Song, which is quite good.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ is curious.
Speaker 3: And animal that I hate is in it too, which I can't deal.
Speaker 1: That's true, the animal you hate is in it, And okay, that's your reason for like a jungle Book, and that's okay. But if your reason is because it's boring unacceptable.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's slightly done as well. My God is going to take my child to get angry like the Jungle Show with you, this child going to grow up in a house without Jungle.
Speaker 1: I will be making a report at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do that.
Speaker 1: What is the film that has the most meaning to you? Not necessarily because of the film itself is any good, but because of the experience you had around watching it. Might have been a first date, might have been the day you got a job, might have been a day you lost a job. But you'll always remember that film because of that thing.
Speaker 3: So initially, when you hear my answer, you're gonna disappointed, because my answer is White Chicks. White chis is a terrible movie. It's really bad. Yeah, it's it's bad for lots of reasons. But the reason why I liked it is because I watched it with someone who at the time I quite liked, and I think we were just like channel It's oh, I got to love this baby. But he didn't like it in an ironic way. No, he liked it in the kind of this film is hilarious, This is funniest, And bear in mind, like you know, I make people laugh for a living. So when you find something funny that's not particularly funny, that that bothers me a lot. You know, I don't like that, But then I really like this guy, and I remember thinking to myself, Wow, let's say I come about my mam. I think I met him through workplace. You have a lot of jobs, and I'm thinking, Wow, if he had like a Tinder profile, and his Tinder profile said I like white chicks, I'd have been liked. So I get out of my smartphone, get off my screen, go be gone right, And I would never he was actually quite an intellectual dudes like, would never have put this movie on him, and he genuinely liked it. He was pissing himself, laughing even at the dudes dancing in Yeah, that's quite good. But when he's.
Speaker 1: Dancing with you, with your guy.
Speaker 3: I'll give you his number, you can a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I kind of like the Waynes Brothers and stuff like I think this stuff is cool, but that movie is just shocking, but I ever think it's wow, Like you can't judge people by taste of that. I got a lot of learning out of that because I was like, if this is all I had known about you, you would not be here right now, eating my food, drinking my drink, using up my heating bills, door whatever. But I thought, oh, this is like, this is interesting. Like I remember thinking about how everyone right now is meeting people online and they're saying I'm not interested, I'm not sure something. But it's actually like it takes a long time to like somebody, you know, and it takes more than just kind of like what we can't be based meeting people on And I remember thinking, Wow, this is a dude i've met in a vote additional way. He does something that in another in another If I make him another fashion, i'd have been like next, I've been like, I need to upgrade you. It's ridiculous. We're not obviously.
Speaker 1: How long does it last post White Chicks?
Speaker 3: A couple of years?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, having been through that, but now you're not together, do you think are you sticking with You can't judge someone based on their.
Speaker 3: Taste, yeah, yeah, definitely. Yeah. If anything, it's good to have different tastes to the person that you're dating or hanging out, even with your friends.
Speaker 1: I think that's good. So White Chicks made you see the word Yeah.
Speaker 3: It made me think, oh, well, here's a guy I really respect and he likes some one of the worst movies I've ever been made. So you know, maybe I rethink my rethink my opinion of him, well, not rethink it, maybe just except that he likes white chicks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to see the worst. I think it's the worst reviewed Adam Sandler film, which that's not that's my boy, and it's, I think said, the only one that's like R rated, And it's got lots of lots of jokes that's a very appropriate and stuff. And the setup is he was fiddled by his teacher when he was a kid, but his teacher was Susan Surranding, and because his teacher was fit, he's sort of grown up to be a legend. He's like, you fucked missus whatever. That's like his How.
Speaker 3: Did these films get green lit? I just don't know how you start writing a film like that, And if you just keep going, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: I went on a date with a woman who I had a relationship with for some time, and she loved so much she was crying with laughter, and it made me love her. I really it may also made me really enjoy the film. So I was like, I don't know if I'd have enjoyed this in any other senseance, but the fact that you are on the floor after really.
Speaker 3: Pay for the ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good.
Speaker 3: Then what was happening there as you were going this wasn't a waste of my money, that's all. What's happening there's even you telling me the snotter That movie is making the bile in my stomach and boil, and you can see it evaporating from my mouth. It's just I mean, come on, So, just to be clear, a boy is sexually harassed, really abused teacher and he becomes famous because the teacher was hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the setup. And then becomes a teller and he's like a legal legend.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't end with him send therapy.
Speaker 1: He goes to visit in prison. Eventually she comes out of she gets caught, but then she comes out at the end and they still have it for each other.
Speaker 3: Well, there's something in there about an older woman being the love interest. It's a shame that she has to be a pedophile. But small steps, yeah, small steps towards Yeah, and it's called that's My Boy, Right.
Speaker 1: What is the film that you thought was the sexiest.
Speaker 3: Easily Layer Cake really crazily hot in that movie. You need to watch it. Watch it again. Now I've told you he's really hot in that movie, and you'll be like, actually, he's really hot in this movie. But at first I think it's a great film anyway, it's one of my favorite British movies. I think, ok, it's a good film. I think it's probably again, it's one of those films that I guess people forget about. It's one of those massive lock stock or whatever. It's got great scenes, it's really funny. The Cockney is hilarious. The one who was in The Standers, I've really had the names. Anyway, there's a funny guy and that used to be Standers and he's a Cockney and he's funny in it. It's got guy from Brookside in it. That's cool, Yeah exactly. But Daniel Craigs really hot in it, and he spends a whole movie just being hot, walking around in like little tight t shirts, you know, acting stressed out. Well, yeah, in that kind of tense kind of way. Yeah. At the time, I think that was the movie that the Bond producer saw that made him think he's going to be James Bond. And then when you when you watch the movie again, knowing that information, you're like, oh my god, yeah, of course, the way you help, the way he runs around his gun. He does that thing that James Bond done with the gun, which you know, that thing where he's like, yeah, I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: You did a really good moment of I would describe it as gun fingers. Yeah, hiding behind them and then popping their head out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly what he does. Yeah, that's what James Bond does a lot. Like you're hiding behind your gun. They're still going to see you. But it looks good on film, right, Yeah, yeah, and it's yeah. I just he's hot in that movie as much more to say the fact that I find to Daniel Craig and.
Speaker 1: Then you must have lost your ship when James Bond happened. Then is it less sexy than cake?
Speaker 3: No, less sex and cake. He's never he's not stressed because the plots of James Bonds now are so convoluted. I don't have time to fancy Hi, I'm too busy trying to figure out I don't know what's happened in any one movie ever since Danny Craig with James Bond. All I know is that lots of people die. The body count is shut up a lot. Well, that's all. I don't understand Bond movies anymore. They really convoluted.
Speaker 1: But Dan, I think I've never understood them. I think they're always far too complicated, and I'm up in what's happening.
Speaker 3: They've gotten way more complicated though, to the point where they he'll kill someone. I thought that guy was your mate. I don't what's going on. Or they'll just suddenly be in a new country in a noose climate. We're in a desert now, says Yeah, So I think that one maybe is just expensive, now, aren't they It's just kind of like expensive. They just spend money on stuff.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you this side question? Yeah, it's a traveling bone is worrying? Why Jones?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is there a film that you found sexy that you felt I probably shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Not that I shouldn't. I think justify every woman who is HETEROSEXU will probably say the Fox in robin Hood obviously lovely. Everyone says that because it's true.
Speaker 1: If I listen, I like Maid Marian.
Speaker 3: They're very and also what they go through kind of sets you up. That's what relationship should be, like, yeah, you know, and it's really romantic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know why the fox is hot in it, but the fox just is. So maybe it's his teeth. He's got my smile.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was also going to say Orlando Bloom and all of the rings simply because he is he is an elf point years. Yeah, because like, fancy him when he's not an elf. He's not my type. When he's like Orlando Bloom when he's the elf, he's riding that horse like yeah, but he's got you know, he looks like he's got point of years. He's got like where's green? Like all elves should I wouldn't say green is good color on men in general. Yeah, yeah, he's got he's got long blonde Pamela Anderson hair, which is not my thing normally ever, actually, but he is on him as an elf, I do that. Yeah, So that was But the Fox would be the most embarrassing one for me because he's obviously.
Speaker 1: An Animal Olympics heading back to the stah.
Speaker 3: But I didn't really have a crush on him. But I was quite young when I watched Animal Olympics.
Speaker 1: Absolutely formative. I can I ask you one thing going back on it to chase. One thing that I can't stop thinking about it is that you said that Danna Peg looks looks hot and he's wearing a tax shirt and he's stressed out.
Speaker 3: It's because you're wearing a T shirt. Now you're stressed.
Speaker 1: It's funny that man being stressed out.
Speaker 3: I think I'm probably using the wrong word because basically the whole movie is about him thinking someone's trying to kill him. So he's running around. Yeah, so he's running around. He's trying to kill me. But in doing that he does very manly things like in that in that in a very kind of hextenatic way and mentioned me men. So he runs around killing people, punching people, holding off against walls, going away, doing dodgy dealings. So I think it's the things that his stress makes him do that makes you go, oh my god, if on your man that kind of stuff for me, you know, that would be amazing. Killing people, yeah, against walls, taking and like he does, he drinks and does drugs in the very kind of hot way. There's that thing where he puts the he puts the kind of the paraceitt on table and he crushed it with glass and he put then he puts the powder into the whiskey and drinks the whiskey. That's kind of hot in a kind of man way. It's a great film filled with cliches, and the film is so good you don't realize the cliches until you talk about talk about it now. I'm like, God, this is with the cliches. And also he gets beaten up, which is quite a hot thing to happen to a guy. Yeah, not so much. You know the Bond movie where he gets tortured. You've got that far, that's too far. But he gets he gets a good pistol whipping. And women we do like it when men get pistol whipped.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just nice seeing a guy get pistol wiped. Isn't that because you want to look after you and put plasses on you and stuff? Yeah? Am I talking sense?
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's a scene. I'm aware there is a scene that I think is very like It's always seemed sort of romantic to me, but I think it plays on that. In the Red of the Lust, Yeah, when Indiana Jones is like injured and she's when is it hurt here, here, here, and it's a really nice.
Speaker 3: That is well everyone. I always say that Harrison Ford's like one of the like just a great action movie hero because he's always gets hurt injured, and he's always vulnerable and it's just played he does that so well. And it is like I think it plays well in terms of being the chats to the guys because you just want to nurse them. You know, when Daniel Craig is getting his head smashed in by a freezer and freezer door, You're like, oh, no, they did to Daniel. Yeah, I was trying to kill him, man, you know what I mean. So you know, and yeah, there's lots of movies where he's getting there's lots of parts in that movie who's been misunderstood, So you're like you're totally on his side, Like, no, listen to him, stop beating him up. He's trying to tell you something. Yeah, and it's got a great ending, which wasn't in my It's got good ending. And I'm so glad they didn't make a k too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would have had to do a dissent and change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just static. I'm so happy that it just exists. As a piece of art in history, as a kind of a decent movie, and it's got great soundtrack too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good answer. I will accept it. What is the film that you most relate to to me?
Speaker 3: Ages answer this, and then I suddenly it is tricky on and my answer is Black Panther.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you more? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can tell you more.
Speaker 3: Why can I relate to it? On lots of levels? First of all, it's I think it's a really multi layered movie, probably more so than people give it credit for. I think we have to think about it. But it's got this whole theme running through it of kind of like being from somewhere but taking from that place and having to kind of have a relationship where the place you're from even though you're not from there, if that makes sense, which is a big part of kill Monger's struggle because he's just his struggle is.
Speaker 1: That great bad guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, totally justified guy.
Speaker 3: Justified bad guy that you totally sympathized with, And in many ways, kill Monger's solution in the movie is totally correct. It's kind of like, why don't we with this really powerful nation, whenn't we use our powers and our expertise and our technology just just get our own back, so to speak, and to take back what's odds as vinly as it will take from us. And it's like, yeah, it sounds about right. I can't argue with it, really, And it's relatable in the sense that I think what plays out in Black Panther, with the Black Panthers character with Killmonger, and also with Black Panther's girlfriend who so Lapisa's character is kind of like the three approaches to how you deal with being a post colonial person in a post plan in your country or coming from post country and living in someone like America or the UK or Europe or whatever. And it's nice to see that played out in like a really fun way because it's entertaining, but it's not depressing. Because we were talking about how history movies are always they just always makes you cry because they're so depressing. It's quite nice to see that conversation in a kind of a slightly more exciting context. And yeah, very autimistic as well. And it's it doesn't it doesn't portray kind of the idea of Africa as something as something that has suffered for having contact with your opinions. That portrays the idea of what could have been if there was no contact, which is what it was before, you know, pre colonalism or pre European kind of because before colonism there was this general exportation. So it's a really enjoyable film in that sense, And you do think I think the conversation that came out of the movie was who do you agree with? You agree with the Peter tore with kill One with du Black Panther, And interesting was most people didn't understand that Peter had a role in having a third way because it's kind of it's a commentary I think on on how kind of men overtake the voice of women. So throughout the movie just going hey, why don't we do this, and bat Fan to go, look, we're too busy, right, And obviously then you've got kill Monger going well, this is this is what my ambisions are. And actually the Peter's third way in the movies, I think a sensible way, which is to do a bit of both. Oh, I think what I think is really annoying about the movies the way it ends. It ends with Black Panther taking responsibility for things that America should be taking responsiblity for right, which is which is really interesting, and it's sort of saying that we can't. What it's saying is you can't expect these countries that exported you to fix your situations. So there's a bit of a pan Africanist message at the end, which is really subtle because it just looks like a nice ending when you think about it, saying is maybe if we all have a similar history of displacement, maybe we need to bypass the states that are supposed to looking after us, and maybe we need to think of or think of a way in which you can support each other without needing the states to do what the're supposed to do, because you know, America should be looking after that particular project that Kilmore came from and building a basketball court or the school, whatever the hell they're going to do, right, But if they're not going to do that, and they never will and that's never happened, it never will happened, what's the alternative? So I like the messages of pan Afghanism. I like the way it portray the different ways we can respond to being descendants of oppressed people. And I liked the movie in itself as whole as a whole, and it's like a great feminist piece too, because all the women are like, you know, the women that are are in the army is made up a women. Well, what can you say? You know, it's amazing. So it was relatable because it had a really intellectual conversation, which you don't often get from Marvel movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also it sort of has a similar I feel the same similarly about get Out, which on paper, the themes of get Out like an Oscar winning, heavy depressing film about racism. And it's so like you could if I told you, if I said to you want the subject will get out? That sounds like a boy. It's so fun.
Speaker 3: It's really entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fun. And the same with Black Hand. You got there's ship legs going on in here, and it's really entering and fun, and it just makes you think we've been doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: We don't have to be so fucking.
Speaker 3: And it's true. I think the problem is a lot of these movies are made by white people, whereas when you get black people, we don't spend all days. So yeah, I'm going, oh my god, life's really hard, Like we find all of this quite funny, and it is ridiculous when you think, and racism makes no sense fundamentally. So it is important. Get Outs great because it's called get Out, and you see the whole movie going get the hell out. Oh my god, from the from the minutes she brought him donuts, I was like, what she bout him donuts for? She's up to something, get out, get out of there. There's something up with that. Don't breakfast is not healthy? You know she wants exactly something's like right there? Yeah, great, that's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lovely good, really good answer. What is the film objectively you think is the greatest film of all times? Might not be your favorite, but you go, this is the pinnacle of cinema.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's I'm glad you said that because it's not my favorite movie, but it is what I think is everything a kind of movie should be. So the movie's Heat, Oh excellent, which is I just everything about Heat is kind of I just think it's flawless, really, and it's like ten hours long or whatever, like it's a really long movie, but you don't know. You sit through that and will start off in its day and or finish or with the next day.
Speaker 1: We still watch it heat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. It's really well cast. Yeah, for me to like a movie with just one black person, that's a big thing, you know, that's that's impressive. You know, the black persons Dennis Haes, but the President's twenty four president. Yeah, but it's great. It's I really like movies with kind of like where you don't know who the goodies and the baddies are, where there's like personal conflict, whether it's that kind of you've got the family versus the job, you've got the romance versus the being a criminal. He's got great lines in it, It's got great scenes. He's got the best shoot out ever. Yeah, and I really like Michael Mann. I think he's a bit of a genius to sort of write and direct and have that kind of to have like that kind of you can you can tell when you're watching the mic A Man movie. But at the same time, they're all kind of different, like if you compare it to Collateral, you compare it to like Mammy Vice or whatever. They're all kind of different, but they all have that kind of that his style. I'd love him to make a movie in London. Because he showcases cities really well. He just he makes wherever his movies are set, you've finished those films really understanding the locations, you know. I think it's all to do with those overhead shots that he does and where he films, you know, the seat, whether it's in restaurants or the houses he chooses or whatever. So I relike Michael Man and I like his I just like. I just think he's a genius the way his plots to work out his characters. But he think if you want a Berry filmmaker and you watch Heat, that should be what you're aim for. And if you're not aiming for that, then you should probably just go and just accept you're going to make the Bluese Brothers again. Yeah you're Yeah, that's a serious film. He really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hasn't come up on this. I don't think has not.
Speaker 3: Really that surprises me.
Speaker 1: Really good film, possibly Abatino's last, good performance.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, what's he been in since I can't even yeah, I can't even think him and Robert.
Speaker 1: De Niro, to be fair, The Little Fuckers, since that's very good.
Speaker 3: That classic. Yeah, but and the Valkilmo as well.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, what he does, well, he did kiss kiss bang bang. He's good.
Speaker 3: Okay. Was he before or after Batman?
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 1: Before before before. Yeah. What is the one film that you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 3: The truth is it's the Sound of Music. Great, that's the film I've probably seen the most in my life. I would say, I really like the Sound of Music. Probably, I don't even get how good. The scriptures in that movie have the best line The captain has the best put downs. The nuns have great put downs too. They throw somewhere shame. Yeah, yeah it is. They're just it's just the whole. It's just everybody. The nuns are roasting Maria, and the captain is roasting the manager or the guy that wants to manage the kids, so to speak. And the great thing about the Sound of Music, which is totally doesn't get it, doesn't get enough credit for this, is that the women in it aren't like bitchy. In actual fact, what we forget is the captain's fiance or wife let him go with Maria. She'd rather than do what would normally do in Hollywood, which would be like she'd just be the evil, the evil old woman who's bitter. She finally realizes that the captain loves Mirria, and she's like, okay, fine, do your thing, which is like a really honorable thing to do, and it probably happens more often in life than we realize. But in Hollywood or whatever, it's always about, Oh, that woman's jealous. Naw, she's evil, Go choose Maria. She's weird. But in the end it's like, oh, you know what, man, She's like, she doesn't. She does her little thing at the beginning to kind of get her away from him, and she realizes this is not gonna work. Like they're supposed to run off and live in the mountains or whatever they do. But I realized sad music. I watch it. I think again, like Animal Olympics is on all the time. Yeah, I think it's always on a New Year's Day, So that's my thing. I watched The Sound of Music.
Speaker 1: It's really good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, it does have like the great songs as well, So if I'm not that into musicals, but I'm into the salam bang bang it yeah yeah, and what else and Ralph Man. I remember being a young person, I never think I've not forgiven him. Is it Ralph? No, it's Ralph. Ralf's the guy who blows the whistle. So they're hiding in that grave in the cemetery.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I thought you're talking about a different film.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's the guy that lils in love with and eventually he blows the whists at the end. So I think when you're a kid, to have a movie staying in memory for like a real long time, a rational hatred of someone that doesn't exist, you have to be like, I can't stack. And every time you watch it as a kid, because you're not that smart, you think maybe he won't do it this time, but he always be that goddamn whistle.
Speaker 1: And do you think that's why people got with Star Wars bloody Yeah?
Speaker 3: Possibly, yeah, because because you hate them so much and you believe in that good versus evil narrative so much, you just you just you're just diet. You're willing for the good person to win so badly. But then obviously the end of some music, the nuns helped them out by taking out the start motor or whatever country, whatever bit of the car it is, And so you feel like, has that horra moment. If you have a good horra moment in a movie, it will stand the test of time. Like Yeah, which goes back to Black Handsmen, which has a great moment at the end where you think die but the way then Yeah, then right at the end we get reminded that we shouldn't. It's just a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great answer. Be negative. We're going to get quickly. No.
Speaker 3: I love being negative.
Speaker 1: What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Crash?
Speaker 1: Which one they put the Yeah, the one that.
Speaker 3: Everyone said was a good film. It was just an I just don't what annoys me about generally happens in Hollywood. It's just this kind of the self congratulatory liberal bullshit, just like, oh my god, it's like, oh my god, we shouldn't be racist guys, Oh my god, we're all the same, We're just people. And it's just trash. It's just so trash, you know. And it's just, oh, just because you've given a ludicrous and acting job doesn't mean you're not a racist, you know. I mean, it's just and Terrence Howard's it isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And his character is annoying. It's not only and Sandra Bullock is annoying standard. I guess the whole the whole thing is righteous and just like what do you want Hollywood? A cookie? And this is what annoys by when people feel like there's like injustices, like well, this film should have won the oscool, this film should want I sort think they give out the oscars willingly, like they just don't care. And could you imagine how little the people on that very committee must have known about movies to give that a best How little do you know? I bet those are people who still watch the Blues Brothers, Like, yeah, you don't like films. If you think that's the best film that was made that year, you can't.
Speaker 1: But I think the reality issars is like it's politics. It's it's like what is a what is being campaigned for? And it's also what makes that slip good? Yeah, I think, look, this is a film about Ray, so we're good if we pick this one. But they didn't even watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No. And when we when we talk about sort of the liberal elites and how clueless they are, that's a great example. So this when America talks about when this whole conversation happened in America about people who sort of say, Hollywood is out of touch and all these series out of touch and these actors out of touch. That would be a really good example how they really are out of touch, because it's it's it's a crap film. It has nothing interesting to say, it has nothing interesting happens. It's it's just very poor social commentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's I think it's the sort of thing. God, sometimes I think things like that do more harm than good because in a way, it's almost like some people feel like I've seen that film, I've done it now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I saw The Help. Yeah. It's basically Emperor's New Clothes, I think. And it's it's basically like just films about race made by people who already have the privilege of race, and they don't have they don't feel obliged to have any difficult conversations at all, which is why I like Black Panther and got a lot going on. Yeah, it's got going on and on, and it doesn't have the answers, and it doesn't it's not all happily ever after, and it's realistic. It makes and it makes sense. It applies to the real world. I think if you've got to talk about race. What you make cast applies to real well, because the race is a very real thing. You can't talk about race and make a movie like the Animal Olympics. This line from Africa.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can have nothing. The two things are very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, what is the film that made you laugh the most? You're in comedy. What's the funniest one?
Speaker 3: If everybody does, my boy, I might well do. Actually I might see it. I'll tell you. The funniest movie ever made is Come into America. Okay, and that's pretty I've not I've not found the movie. And there are funny movies out there. They were finding movies before Coming to America, and there's been funny movies after it. But Coming to America to this day is the only movie that I can watch over and over again and everything, everything makes me laugh about that?
Speaker 1: Do you know he directed Coming to make Yeah?
Speaker 3: And this is how bad m is. I know that he has a poster that says see you next Wednesday in all his movies. I'm coming with his name?
Speaker 1: What's his name is?
Speaker 3: Genius?
Speaker 1: Directed The Blues Brothers. I know I hate him.
Speaker 3: I hate The Blues Brothers. Okay, but I love coming to everyone. I've told some rubbish jokes. I've had you. You say you saw me and I was great. I'll tell you right now, I've performed forty five minutes of silence. I've done it. I've done it. You know it was not me. It was not me, it was them. But I've done it. So we all had bad gigs, and he had a bad gig with the Blues Brothers, but he did training place student name. Yeah. So those two films are great, but I think Coming to America just edges it in terms of how funny it is.
Speaker 1: Coming to America. I watched it recently, and.
Speaker 3: It's got little it's kind of I think the best funny movies, in fact, the best funny anything, have all kinds of humor. So it's got like the physical humor, it's got the right in. It's got little moments that are just funny. If he's really a French armor. But everything about that her voice, what she's wearing, you know, is great. What's good. The funny spit of that movie is a bit that probably everyone forgets. It's a bit where Eddie Murphy and James R. Jones walking through like the palatial gardens and an elephant just like just walks past them, and it's just genius. Like everything about that is brilliant. It's hilarious and there's nothing more to say about. Actually, the funnies spit of the movie is when you see a landlord shouting at a tenant and it's like your Rench Drew, motherfucker, don't pull that falling out the stairs shut on me? Are you condus? That's alert that. I cry every time that happens. I'm laughing out everything. That movie is great. I love it.
Speaker 1: Good film, good answer, you can have.
Speaker 3: It, great, I can have it. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Right, you been You've been excellent. Yeah, thank you now, thank you. But the thing is when you spent a week on drugs, you did actually on Monday, you did ket them in on Tuesday, you did cocaine Wednesday, yeah, heroin on Thursday, and you did meth on Friday, and then you ran into the street and you got hit by a car and killed. When we went to pick up your body, the car had gone straight every because of all the drugs that were in you. Weirdly, your body it's sort of pickled. The car. It didn't didn't really break you. It just sort of spread you out and you're in like you look actually sort of like yourself, but like a sort of.
Speaker 3: Like peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost almost like a cartoon, Like you look like what's it called like stretched armstrong, so that you looked stretched out. So we peeled your body off the road. It brought bits of road with it. Unfortunately, anyway, we put you in your coffin because you've been spread out so much. We're just jamming you in this coffin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's packed.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely packed. The coffee there's no room and there's now any room for one DVD that we can slip in for you to take to the other side. And on the other side there's movie night and one movie night. It's gonna be your movie night. What's the film that you are showing to everyone in heaven?
Speaker 3: I can repeat a movie that it's The Lioning. Yeah, that would make everyone and also people in heaven will be like, you know, they don't want to think about how bad the earth is. I think about how good the Earth is. The linking is everything that's good about the Earth, even even scars grating it. I and Jemmy Ryan's as well, I mean, the casting of The Lion King is so good. It's so good for me, Like it's just on the money. Even Elton John's soundtracking it. It's like, of course who else would who else could do this? Only Elton So yeah, it would be The Lion King. And I'd watch it with Malcolm X and Richard Pryor would have a great time.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a fucking night. And if they haven't seen the like yet, you're gonna blame their.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll be like, Wow, this.
Speaker 1: Is what we've been missing. Yeah, I want to go right, You've been excellent. Thank you very much for coming on the show. Thank you or anything you would like to plug or tell us before.
Speaker 3: You just because I'm on a bit of hiatus, which would normally call maternity, but it's not because I'm not getting paid. No one's paying me to not play their clubs. Unfortunately. Just find me on social media and when i'm back working again, I'll have all sorts of things happening. So I'm on Twitter, on Instagram and Facebook, and you can mind. All my handles are my name. I don't have a weird name. It's just a pen been you haven't got like I'm not called dread girl or nothing. It's just my name. Just find me on and say hello and tell me what happens in the end of Contact, because I can't remembering to reread Contact because I said, I love the book and I can't remember whatever happens in it. But I'm right about the Nigerian guy. There's not and guy in it.
Speaker 1: There is in the book as instead of journey, you know.
Speaker 3: There's an additional one. He's got loads of aals in it.
Speaker 1: Great from around the world. All right, if anyone knows the as to that, please tweet Athena. You've been excellent. Thank you very much for being on to say I'll let you go to heaven with the lanking and I hope I see you at Gigson. Good day, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Good day to you.
Speaker 2: So that was episode two hundred and seventy of Films to Be Buried With starring Athena Kiblen. You subscribe to the podcast on Patreon over at Patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein for extended ad free episodes and a video option, or by all means, feel free to drop by Apple Podcasts and leave a review of one of your favorite films. Reviews of the podcast are awesome, but it's always more fun to talk about the films you love, so joining on that if you feel it. Thanks so much again to Athena for joining the podcast. Thanks to Scrubius, Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to me for editing and production, which is definitely a normal sounding sentence. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting the podcast. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the artwork and to Lisa Lidam for the photography. Join us next week for another wonderful rewind classic, but until then, that's it for now, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other.