Speaker 1: In today's episode the Command Center Podcast, it's happy birthday to us, right, Oh yeah, you Michael Jackson out here, all right. We talked about the Stefan Diggs traded to the Texans and is that Deshaun watching trade the worst trade ever? It's stay tuned to find out, and what are the Bills going to do a wide receiver? And are there receivers that we like in the draft in later rounds? It all starts right out. Welcome on into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Swood and Santana mosaying guys, happy birthday, Happy birthday, Happy birthday, Happy birthday to this podcast. It's been one year since we've done it, and I don't know, man, it's just like it doesn't It did fly by, And this is one of the funnest shows we do because we just sit here and talked the whole time. But I thought it'd be a good idea just to kind of say, hey, what are your favorite memories from the last year doing this show? All the ups, all the all the downs.
Speaker 2: You know, boy bands on you the last as long. Let's usually me as Timberlake.
Speaker 3: I usually leave at this time.
Speaker 1: You're just timulating what.
Speaker 3: You know, timulate? Why can I keep too?
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, it's true. You gotta move on to make more money. So yeah, so so for me, my best memory this year was beating friend and basketball, just the build up, the set up, the lack of conditioning, the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I was in no shape. But guess what when you beat me that day?
Speaker 2: One abb has started to show up each month after that, I purchased a bike, like you changed my life that you know, I was just drifting for a while.
Speaker 3: I still care about waiting to see that bike too. Picture. I didn't give them one of the little they say real bikers don't do that riding.
Speaker 4: I love saying that. Did they humble me?
Speaker 3: And plus I don't see how he was so rough, dude.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes people don't know how scrown you are man, because listen, you was literally bagging me down and.
Speaker 4: I was like this, I can't stop him from moving.
Speaker 1: I was impressed for how long your arms were quite honestly, like I felt very strong, but like I was like, damn, Fred's arms are really long.
Speaker 4: Reach That was always mine eyes, man, And you don't.
Speaker 1: Remember your measurement, do you know it?
Speaker 3: Was very long.
Speaker 1: It'd be cool if you could get that up somewhere figure out.
Speaker 5: I think my fun is memory just to shed a little light on the bake offs. Man, when you know, I gotta give it to Zach when you put all that white stuff on.
Speaker 1: The dame.
Speaker 3: Kind of like you know what?
Speaker 1: Made that was pretty funny?
Speaker 3: I was. I didn't really mean to come up to him like yeah, but I'm like, why would he do that? Bro? You over doing it?
Speaker 4: He got reached in his pocket and pull out.
Speaker 1: Of Touchtros And we all love Zach on the show. But the one thing Zach will do is he will like even the cookies he made. He won the cookies, but they had like full chocolate bars in that Like I was like, come on, man, just make.
Speaker 4: Its at home and said, you know what, how could I want to.
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 2: He constantly overthinks things. But what I'm really waiting on for the future is the bowling.
Speaker 1: The bowling.
Speaker 4: We haven't done it yet.
Speaker 2: Now we didn't need some charity bowling, but we haven't done the bowling yet. I cannot waiting and shout at them, well, it's.
Speaker 1: Crazy to me because I don't think anyone disputed that you were like a good bowler at any point, and you were just like we're bowling, Like I got to show you that I'm better than you are bowling. And I was like, all right, well.
Speaker 3: He's like you know, he's over right now. Yeah. He didn't even win it.
Speaker 1: Down, I didn't.
Speaker 3: They told, didn't they vote? He didn't beat me in the field goal kicking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was sheer power wooking.
Speaker 1: It was sher power. But also I think the funny thing about that Fred is like you came in. People don't know this little little peel behind the veil here is. We came in the office and and Jason was telling me that. They were like, O, can you kick a field goal? You're like thirty five yarder? And then it was like then it turned into a competition because you were so confident that you could do it. So I actually, honestly, when Jason was like, come kick a field goal, I was like I was kind of nervous, yeah, because I was like, man, maybe Fred can actually kick field goals yea. And so we got out there, we had to kick that fifteen yarder start and it was just like Shank, I was like, all right, I got this one. Got it in the bag.
Speaker 3: It's hard to kick a field goal, no doubt. Like people sit there. I know. I don't know why you didn't know that people sit there and like turn a TV on? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Finkle?
Speaker 2: Now I'm telling you kicking a field I can only matter how it feels with one hundred thousand people in the stadium and that pressure.
Speaker 5: We think that's the easiest position on our team or on the field, and it's it's.
Speaker 3: By far one of the most toughest.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about specially, it's thinking about the mental part of it, you know what I'm saying, Yeah, think about you mentally getting focused and saying, you know, this drive has been an end with my foot.
Speaker 3: One way or another.
Speaker 4: You's either going to be a field goal or extra point.
Speaker 2: And agree that what is the what is the pseudo easiest position in football? And we had to pick one to say, you know what they job is easy, But I say it's a pawner.
Speaker 1: Even those guys ain't kicking a sod.
Speaker 3: You had to punt to win in the game, I've seen.
Speaker 1: I got a funny story. So we were because we were in Chicago, was freezing, like you're saying, it was really cold. We were up by We're up by a touch by two, so we needed to punt get him down. There was like seven seconds left. There was like no time left at all. Andre Roberts, So I forget who was playing for at the time. Yeah, we got out there in pun formation. They came out in pump block formation, so they brought our gunners in and I was like, dude, they're about to run this thing back. I knew it in my mind because I was like, I was like, I can't cover kick to save my life, and I'm out why am I here? I'm out here. They're about to block our two best cover guys. And so we got down there and I'm the first one down there, and I'm like you, I was like this touchdown, touchdown.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: I know if I'm the first one down here, everyone else is getting their face blocked off and they're about to go over and score touchdown. We lost game on them.
Speaker 4: Wow, Well it happened so few in between.
Speaker 1: Also, dude, I got a funny story. So I remember one of my other big claims to fame historically. Remember when Devin Hester was like rolling through and I think he was about to break the record. This is twenty thirteen ten and we were really bad on special teams, and I remember we were out there playing the Bears and I was like, and it was like if he if he runs this one back, he'll break the record. And so I remember I got kind of hummed up. And then Niles missed the tackle and then he's running wide the feel and I'm like, oh, and that.
Speaker 3: Was probably the slowest we turn watch. He's not even running there. Well, we can't gets it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'm gonna get him. And I came over there around the corner and there's four or five dudes right in front of him, and I was like, I am gonna save the touchdown tackle. I'm gonna be on Sports Center. And right when that thought entered and exited my mind, somebody came out of nobody to even see, and dear leeted me. So I made Sports Center, but not for the way that I was gonna make it.
Speaker 4: Hey, I had John Howe you remember him, He used to be your kick it. Then we turned to the Jet Skins for the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we brought it.
Speaker 2: We brought it like twenty four JITs. My boy Randy tummins All of them. So Joe Howard the only kick I know that just constantly stay hurt, like I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Why we play in the game. He pulled a hamscreak.
Speaker 2: Oh so now Derek Froust.
Speaker 1: Punter has to kick. They can't kick people sleep on that has has to kick field goals, miss every one of them.
Speaker 2: It's the point like, oh, I was like, you know what, I didn't really think because I was.
Speaker 3: Like, if you can kick, you can kick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 4: No, it's totally different.
Speaker 5: One is literally positioned then, but the easiest, the easiest, easy backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: No, because they don't play.
Speaker 4: Let's go with playing position position from thinking.
Speaker 3: I don't think no, I'm easy, but from none, I'm easy. But the degrees are harder.
Speaker 1: We have to say from a mental standpoint, yeah, defensive end has to be the easiest one because it's literally just like, this is your gap, Go get the quarterback. And I know that I couldn't do it because you need to be tremendously athletic. All the biggest freaks in the NFL do that. Yeah, but that's gotta be mentally one of these.
Speaker 2: You say, that's a position more instinct than thinking, Oh, I think.
Speaker 3: So I gotta be because you can set the edge all day. You ain't getting no second. I'm gonna set the d even I gotta say. I'm gonna make sure you know what I'm he was.
Speaker 1: He was a beast at that though. I remember blocking him.
Speaker 3: In Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: Shuttle Fields.
Speaker 3: I wrote, you know what, somebody left like that. But it's some true.
Speaker 4: Played no defense yet.
Speaker 1: But he also was one of the biggest human beings wrongest.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time bench the house, swat the house.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time he came through the door. Yeah, I was like, I shouldn't be in the NFL. Like that's how big he was. Always felt like you should be attack on his recovery day, do you remember this, He's coming on the off day. So Monday after the game he would deadlift six eighty, or he's deadlift seven to ten, squat six eighty, bench five hundred.
Speaker 4: That was his off dad, And when he won bench of five hundred, snitching on the t keep me real, Shulgar Fells.
Speaker 2: Tell them out of time, don't you worrybody getting to the quarterback?
Speaker 3: What true everybody is if they throw their screen to be right.
Speaker 4: There, right the way.
Speaker 2: So it allows me to play a limit free because Drake don't give me my pass rush, Grill don't give me my pass rush from the middle, and Marcus Washington.
Speaker 3: And Levarna add to the pass rush. But you got to know your players to know who's gonna bring what.
Speaker 5: Philip dans Man, I just be saying then back then this windmill and trying to get around.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn be too mean to be sitting up there playing Patty kick no.
Speaker 2: And that's why I always felt like, especially on passes down, like they should move him inside.
Speaker 3: Because I felt like, now, like a lot of times you gotta think.
Speaker 1: Well, now you're speaking of that, speaking.
Speaker 3: Of that, we played a lot of guys out of place, like we had.
Speaker 5: We had defenses that didn't fit the guys we had, so that probably could have been one of the things that he was just too big to see him not be able to like Domin because he dominated earlier in his career, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it's full back the easiest busise.
Speaker 1: Hell, No, have you played fullback before, dude? Full Back? Fullback is like a come to Jesus moment. Imagine every play, every hit being the hardest that you've ever taken. Like that's what fullback is, and so it might be mentally very easy, but you have to be a little messed up by so you an m M A fight if you see ful dude, Yeah, dude, I remember there was I think I told you this stuff. I told you serve before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Harry Mars.
Speaker 1: So when I was in San fran there was a rash of people in goal line situations on lead, which is a great goal line run of fullbacks getting knocked unconscious. So Kyle, you check, got not knocked unconscious. So I was like, oh, that's too bad. He's a really good football player, the mismatch guy for us. They're like, who can we put it full back that we don't care if they get knocked on conscious And I'm not kidding. Kyle was like this at the meeting and he just was like and I was like, now looking at him, I was like looking over here, and then I was like he was like, look, you want to do it? And I was like, all right, I guess I'll do it whenever to keep his uniform, and then Mike Coach to the meeting says, if they call lead, I'm you're like you're You're like, my son, just fall down, don't do it, Just fall down. Make me call different the game. He's like, just fall on the ground. And I was like what And he was like, I'm not going to give you a minus. I'll say it was my fault. Just fault. I don't want you getting hurt and like that. For to be a fullback in the NFL, yeah, like you have to do. Or just Dent. Who's that guy for the Detroit Lions, Mike Schleareth or whatever, Mike Slitch, Yeah, whatever his name was, he would Dent. I heard this from the equipment guy there. Yeah, with Dent. Five face masks unusable every game. Could you imagine hitting someone with your face?
Speaker 4: Could you imagine me hidden? I was a tack. It's a different between a hitter and attack.
Speaker 1: Cory Slessinger that was the name.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, football just a tough, tough sport. Man.
Speaker 5: I don't care who you are when it comes to it. Man, it's no position. I don't think that's just easy. I mean even mentally, a physical receiver's pretty easy.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting over.
Speaker 1: Some of the stress I had, so best memories those are good, Okay, So I think the next thing is what do we want to do next? Right? I think there were some talking about us doing a live show. I don't know when people come, wait, leave a comment, did you come and watch us do this live? We're just sitting around with microphones and makes fun of it.
Speaker 2: I said, we was at the casino at the sports park, at the sports team, and yeah, they'll come live.
Speaker 3: And let them know when we go live.
Speaker 5: It'd be nice to have a guess with us because that's what normally gets them even more and.
Speaker 2: They can go questions, they can as us whatever they want.
Speaker 3: Live is what is that? I did once?
Speaker 5: You know, I had my own individual podcast back in twenty and seventeen eighteen and we did it live, not we didn't know what we was doing and we just did it roight hered one louder and people showed up at mess box. There was a lot of folks and then most of them showed up. Yeah, so you came up and be Mitch. Everybody came. So you know, live is where is that? And then have to have the kind of following that we have in this short span of time, just to say, hey, we reached that.
Speaker 3: Marcus a whole year now had we had that year date.
Speaker 5: I know these fans would want to show up if somebody want to see you in person, are.
Speaker 3: I know for a fact they want to tell you how bad you treat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, young lady want to see you at first, Like while you're picking on Fred all you probably don't have a shirt made.
Speaker 1: Well, glad you said shirts, because we could also make shirts say like make a merch, don't pick on Fred, don't pick on Fred, or like that hawk outside. I'm better saying it that was pretty good. That was pretty good, and then maybe a picture with Fred's face on it. I don't know what do you think?
Speaker 3: Whatever you needn't quote, but quote me.
Speaker 2: You have to say kind of merch, talking about bracelets, whatever you want to come out with these days.
Speaker 1: And if you've ever been to a live event with Fredd, you should definitely remember the first live event I ever did with Fred. Like we were sitting there with me and Brayon. We were just hanging out with a small group, and all of a sudden, in the middle of Fred just gets up and starts walking through the crowd, and I was like, I've never seen anybody do that at a live event. Like it was unprompted. The person's like no, you can sit down, and he's like no, I got you and just up and start asking fans questions. I was like, this man is.
Speaker 5: Out out there, was at the state House the other day. I'm texting Fred anywhere yet man pull up. Fred came in there and it went from being quiet to just.
Speaker 3: Like everybody was like he was just getting ready for that. Hey Fred, he didn't win in it. I'm like, man, not a du never a dumb moment with him.
Speaker 4: So hey, somebody got to break a little light.
Speaker 1: To a place and then you bring all the life it possible.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So now I was actually talking football. So there was some big news this last week I guess was last week. Yep, Stephan Jiggs Digs traded to the Houston Texans. Houston received Stefan Diggs a sixth round pick and a fifth round pick, and Buffalo receives a twenty twenty five second round pick via Minnesota. So I don't know, it's just one of those things that just I think a lot of fans see that and I just want to get your guys thoughts on it. Yeah, it seems like, oh they gave him away and they did get him away, Yeah, they gave. But there's some context here, so let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: I mean, when you look at being a DVA that he was, they felt like they felt like that later part of the season last year, they was able to be successful without them. And if you feel like he's not going to be somebody that you want to see in the future or going forward, you're going to probably you know, be able to do something with whether it's financially or even on the field, then you deal them. We've seen this game has almost showed us how the basketball players feel. You know, I've seen so many trades nowadays, like especially in the middle of the season. I've never seen anything like that what we went through last year and some of these before that, Like my years a player here, you rarely saw top notch guys get spaced off the team season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never see that in the middle of the season.
Speaker 5: So we getting to a point now where it's so much talent and guys are being strategic when it comes to how they map out things like if they have a chance to go out there and get a Odell Beckham to make them gives a Super Bowl run, We're going to pull that trigger. If you got a chance to go out here and get one though, get to get a pass rushers that's going to benefit us next year, We're gonna pull the trigger now. So we want to have him go out here and finish this and get better, and then we can't afford him. So I've seen so many different things, and this is like one of those cases. Like you have a guy in Diggs still had an incredible year last year in credible Tom. You know he's a gifted receiver. Yeah, I think he brings a lot with that, and it's not always good. Yeah, Buffalo, Like, look man, you know we can get something for you, We'll let you.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't realize something in life like.
Speaker 2: Emotion emotionly instability. He just people that's not emotionally there stable.
Speaker 4: They don't they don't reach the pinnacle what they could be.
Speaker 2: Like, even as much as good as step Fun Diggs is, people are really talk about him lashing out, or they'll really talk about him acting like a baby, him saying this and saying this, And that's why people would rather have a Santana Moss who just gonna do his job clock.
Speaker 4: In another day to get it done. But see we've seen this story with.
Speaker 5: A let's say a B, like that's the prime when you just said that, that's the prime example, because I honestly believe that if AB could have kept a clean slate. Interesting to hear the top jaed, right. I mean it was that was a that was a tall feat. But I'm just saying like he was headed there, we was headed. He was on that trajectory like he was unbelievable numbers year after year after year after year, so couldn't.
Speaker 2: Get out his own way here on the head and that emotion like because they want to say the people that take up for me.
Speaker 4: Like, no, he just loved the game.
Speaker 3: We all of us love the gain.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: We don't last shout like that. You know better yet we'll wait till we get in the locker room.
Speaker 3: It's a difference, though.
Speaker 5: You got to understand something, and a lot of us deal with this as players. And then there's players that don't know how they emotionally, you know, gather theyself in those moments. So prime example, when I went through the little thing I went through my last year here, you know how many guys reached out to me from different other people like Hey, tell Twner he needs to do this in the meeting.
Speaker 3: He need to say this. And I'm like, bro, to be honest with you.
Speaker 5: Putting the bulls out on me more than what it is right now, that's gonna help. That's ain't gonna help me because obviously, if I was worthy of it, the coach would have to be doing it, which I'm not saying I wasn't, but he don't owe me anything. And at the same time, all you guys in that locker room, I'm still playing for you. I'm still here because of you guys. So I don't want to make this team have to carry me going in the media talking about what is doing. You know what I'm saying, that's drama that we don't need. And so I've always been a guy and it's just before that. I'm a team player. I'm a team player because I feel like that's the only way you can win, especially on the team sport.
Speaker 3: I can't win by myself. I can't do it myself.
Speaker 5: I need a quarterback, I need the blockers, I need the officer line, I need a running back. I need everybody to be successful as a receiver. So that's the same way as a team, you know, as an individual. So a lot of these guys I watch it all the time and they say, I've been hearing this def thing about receiving it for a long time, which it fit certain people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that''t me the damn ball do this, do that.
Speaker 5: But when you put that bullz out on you and then you're not ready for something happens.
Speaker 3: Now they're gonna talk and today today's game.
Speaker 5: Yea social media everybody's the biggest credit. Now you know what I'm saying, So it comes out that much more negative. So that's why I've always kept that kind of Look, it's not about me, it's about what they want to do.
Speaker 3: And as long as we wining doing this, yeah, let me sit back and shut my mouth.
Speaker 2: So when we look back five years from now, who you think won is trade?
Speaker 4: Do you think is the Houston Texas?
Speaker 3: How you think the Bills?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes you know you can win by by losing something to move forward, also in one side gaining something.
Speaker 3: To move forward.
Speaker 4: So in five years, who wins this this deal?
Speaker 1: Well that I was about to say though too though, like starting to cut you off to you, is that even though Stefan Diggs has all kind of this emotional baggage around him, right, and he kind of seems to wear out his welcome in the world out in Minnesota, whereas out in Buffalo. There is a period of time where he's a very productive player on this Texas team, this Texans team, He's a true number one. And then you add that to Tank Dell, Nico Collins, the tight end Dalton Schultz, Like you've got some legitimate playmakers around a young quarterback Joe Mixon, and so yeah, and I think this is an op quite frankly, an opportunity for this team to kind of say, hey, we're ready to make a playoff push because of what CJ. Shad can do. So I know it kind of maybe feels like Buffalo's winning and Houston's winning, But as of right now, it seems like a good trade for both sides. And we won't know. But if let's say, for example, they get into they get to the super Bowl, you know, like hypothetically speaking, and then it's a win for Houston, I.
Speaker 4: Guess how lucky? How do you envy him in a way?
Speaker 2: His first quarterback was Kirk Cuzin, his second one was Josh Ally, and now he got CJ. Scrad Have you had anybody on that level? You did have Kirk, but it was a young Kirk. But it was a young Kirk.
Speaker 5: I think, if you want to look at that level, see I look at quarterbacks differently. I liked the older quarterbacks, the more seasoned quarterbacks. I feel like they they had so much seasoning on that game to where they knew where to put the ball out. They know how to get college this chief. So that's why I love Todd Collins. That's why I love mcnaw when he came here for that, for that little short.
Speaker 3: Bit of time we played.
Speaker 5: That's why I say Mark Todays day, Vinnie Testa Verdi and Mark Runell is my favorite. I love Vinnie in New York. Chad was good too, but I had success out the gate.
Speaker 3: With Vinnie, you know what I'm saying. And here Mark, we now like those guys.
Speaker 5: When I look at today's game, I care less about how young you are.
Speaker 3: I just want to see you. You know football.
Speaker 5: You know from looking at this this blank canvas right now. When I when we line up in this formation, this is how they're gonna be able to stop it.
Speaker 3: And where is read the hole?
Speaker 5: Where the weakness, where the weakness is gonna be. So those guys did that for me, you know what I mean? They made my game easy when I got to sit out there and think, for you, are we in trouble?
Speaker 1: And the Texans did disinteresting contract stuff here, and I think this is interesting about like the receiver market. And one thing before we get to the receiver market, I want to bring this up. I think it's also interesting. I think quarterback salary is going to play a big role in this in this next conversation we're going to have with regards to receiver market, and so I wanted to just say, like, the Texans took three point five million dollars of guaranteed money and gave it to Diggs for this next season. So he's going to be making twenty two point five to two million dollars next year, which is a lot of money. And so so to me, what is this dude for the receiver market? And the thing I wanted to bring up is, I do think it's interesting that big time receivers seem to be moving on from teams that have paid their quarterback a lot of money. Now right, they have both, they gotta find ways to save money. So what does this trade mean, because obviously he's making a lot of money or over one year, what does this mean for the receiver market moving forward?
Speaker 3: Give me your intell for because I know I want to say something.
Speaker 2: No, I think when it comes to the receiver market, I think it's always affected by the draft, And because this draft is loaded with receivers, you gonna see people less prone to play the other guy when I can get the same production from a guy that I could have six years going forward. So I think the thing about it is, and you said it, if my quarterback makes two hundred and fifty million, my wide receiver can't make a hundred men ago like, it's.
Speaker 4: Just may up to it.
Speaker 2: Now, if I got a young quarterback, how can I protect him with a older receiver who's gonna draw double coverage so he can throw backside.
Speaker 4: One on one and throw side tight end matchups.
Speaker 2: So for as much as I paid his receiver, he's actually worth it for the progression of my quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: So he can get to.
Speaker 2: The position of a Josh Hallen that I don't need a true number one wide receiver.
Speaker 3: I can get to the level of.
Speaker 2: Pat Mahons where I don't need Tyreek Hill no more because once we can't afford them too. I can turn people into stars because my quarterback, they had the guy. But guess what when Alex Smith was the quarterback and they still had Tyreek Hill and the rest of those guys inserted Pat Mahons unstoppable offense. But he was still learning. He knew what the double team was. They won double team and Kelsey at the time they was double team Tyree. So I think that wide receiver unlocks the potential of youth by also kind of getting ran away by the quarterback.
Speaker 4: With all the potential that gets paid.
Speaker 5: So the market is sky high for the guys that have proven theirself, you see everybody. I mean, like I'm looking at some of these numbers, guys who you know, guys that's just putting up, you know, mediocre seasons, and they getting close to like what the top guys in my era was getting. You know, in my era when I first got my first deal here, you know, the top receivers was making six million a year, and then it went up, you know, drastically from there. So by the time I was leaving, it was more like in the twelve fifteen you're getting a guy who's a third a third receiver making twelve now a year.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So if you look at it, it's great that they say, Okay, Stephan, we giving you this twenty something plus because you are a number one guy.
Speaker 3: You know you're.
Speaker 5: Bringing money here with you from your last deal, and we're going to go ahead and grant you this other stuff. But the thing that what does now what these teams are doing, it's about their books. It's all about the books. If my quarterback is here when it comes to in my pocket, then I need to find a safe haven with these guys that in the middle, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 5: So now I'd rather go out and get some young talent. Then I don't have to pay my I don't have to pay them as much. I got you on my side, and I still got talent. I got some guys who's capable of coming here and being in Stephan Diggs much younger and going to have a higher ceiling because of now they come into a game where the quarterback is proven and he's already the money man, yep, where a guy like Dick's going to what you just say, I mean you hit it on the head. He's going to Houston where the quarterback is on the ricked deal. Play is here, yeah.
Speaker 3: But money is here. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I could bring that big money receiver in because by the time I pay him, he should be.
Speaker 3: Out the door. Yeah, we're not going to probably be paying him anybody.
Speaker 2: They shrunk that deal because not because of the quarterback.
Speaker 4: They shrunk that deal to.
Speaker 2: One kind of dictate terms with him, but also Nico Collins coming up, So they didn't want to tie their hands and say, no, we can't even offer Nico because we're playing the older guy. They said, now we're gonna take that out of there. Wasn't that pay him, keep him on a short least, but also have the ability.
Speaker 4: To keep a guy like Nico Collin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I totally agree. I think that's I think it's just such an interesting thing. And the receiver market for a while look like everyone was getting paid everyone, everyone was getting paid. Now it does seem like there is a kind of top flight grill. It's going to get paid like the four or five, And if you're not in that top like the top flight group, you're not going to get paid the same.
Speaker 3: You're still getting money crazy, you're a second tier.
Speaker 4: That's what we just seen.
Speaker 2: Like we've seen last year, five wide receivers get the same amount of money Terry A. J.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 4: It was like five of these guys.
Speaker 2: And some of these guys kind of fight from leaning to oh I'm one A to some one B.
Speaker 4: But they still jumped up right there together.
Speaker 2: So that's telling you where the comfortable spot right now for a receiver is probably like five years eighty million.
Speaker 3: It's almost like that.
Speaker 5: It's almost like two is when it. When it comes to this, you can't even you can't even fought to receive it for this being.
Speaker 3: Hitting the mark at the right time, you know what I mean, Like with with Kirk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody got their painties in the bunch with Kirk, Why is he getting what they what they giving quarterbacks of his stature, you know what I mean. He deserves the money because he's a first he's he's coming in to be number one.
Speaker 3: So you can't you can't.
Speaker 5: We can't worry about the man pocket because he's sitting in that position to receive that, you know what I mean. And it's odd because you see a guy coming off of Achilles and You're like, wow, but we know Kirk from being a gun sling.
Speaker 4: Round of applow. Kirk cussing gets the gray.
Speaker 2: You know, one of my favorite movie boys in the hood when you begetting juice coming there store punching it. I bet you every time Robert Griffin turning the TV on the punching the head like I can't believe it, dude.
Speaker 1: Keep and another little like fun little note here before we get to our next topic, is that this Stefan Digg's trade is a result of the Deshaun Watson trade. And maybe about Kirk right, it's like it's like cannon fodder from that trade that they've like parceled out and subdivided and they've gotten here, and so is that maybe like the worst trade of all time? But think about it, from that trade, they got a starting guard, Kean Greed. They got Damian Pierce, she's like of a football player. They got Will Anderson junior light pass rush. Yeah, they got Tank tel who's one of the best young receivers in the gamep on Diggs. And they haven't even picked in this year's draft.
Speaker 4: And they still got No. One pick in his draft.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: So I told you the only trade that stinks in weeks of this type foulness is that herschel Walker trade that started the dynasty for the Cowboys. They end up getting there watch I mean a Woodson. I think they end up getting Michael Irving out of that draft. I think they got like six daughters.
Speaker 3: Coming to say the same year. I think they got like six daughters out of the draft.
Speaker 4: Why hersher went on the rust for like three and a half yard.
Speaker 3: It wasn't three and a half yards.
Speaker 2: He literally didn't get many yards and they traded him to die.
Speaker 4: But hershamalk Minnesota. Did you got in highlights?
Speaker 3: He hey, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: But they're also I mean, so it's Cleveland's tough because they're they're in the they're like a playoff college. But when he's healthy, they're playing. Now he has been healthy, that's another conversation. I think.
Speaker 4: I think Joe he hasn't played to his potential. You know, he hasn't looked like his old self.
Speaker 5: And I don't look at it as if it's just he can't play. I just feel like, man, it's hard to miss them years and come back and.
Speaker 2: Those years, and I think it's mental with him, imagine this. A quarterback used to be in love by our whole city, and.
Speaker 4: Now you're kind of like a pariah.
Speaker 3: That's what anybody else.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be the best me when I'm uncomfortable. So I think that was the reason I give him a legit reason. I could see him not being himself because he just doesn't feel like he don't feel the love. And I think that they bothered something at the least. Some at the least don't need love. But a quarterback need love.
Speaker 3: We know you don't need. I hate everybody.
Speaker 1: We got, we gotta gotta, we gotta call her. We got Jason just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just the herschel Walker trade.
Speaker 2: They used some of the picks that they got in that trade to get Darren Woodson.
Speaker 1: And it was EMMITTT. Smith Michael.
Speaker 3: Year before. I know it was eminent and I knew.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to fact check that. But the other thing talking Michael said is with the receiver market, because we took a little side there in a kind of bad trade philosophy, but in the importance of getting more picks, which is something we talk about in the draft all the time. The Antenna mention this briefly and I think it's really important is there are so many good receivers in this draft class, so I would have to imagine that that's going to affect There's just such a saturation every year there's.
Speaker 4: One position that just a lot of them in there.
Speaker 1: Because there's like think about college offenses now there's like they're full of receivers, so everyone's going to have a couple and it's crazy. So this year I thought would be a good idea, like just talking about the Bills real quick, anybody that they could draft at the end of the first round that you like, and then we can talk about some later round receivers, maybe for Washington potentially.
Speaker 4: Key and Coleman looked like he had a Beal's jersey own three years ago.
Speaker 1: So what do you say that, because I don't really When I think Beal's received was I think be cold weather, uh hands, he did go to Michigan State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not the fastest guys, but tough like my boy Eric Molds. Like Eric Mold could fly. But it's physique is what caught you. When I when I play against Buffalo, it was it was Lee Evans. It was like dudes with some speed and some size, so I could see him going while receiving the first round and Whire receiving in the second round, just because it's so deep. So when I see Key on cod and I think it's a little too high for h for Johnny wi Wilson from from uh Tolorida State, but I could see them taking him in the third like them taking a big guy in the speed guy. Like you know, I just see so many mixtures. Uh A d from Texas gonna say you got to do from Church?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to replace stuff on Diggs? That type of player to get?
Speaker 5: So I think when you look at their their their roster right now, they have a couple of capable guys.
Speaker 3: You know, Sam Sami's on the roster.
Speaker 5: You know, you have some other guys that's probably not proven telling them, but they obviously been in the league long enough to be you know, have some eyes and and got.
Speaker 3: Some stuff on film.
Speaker 5: But I think it's hard to try to go and get the same guy because they didn't know they was gonna get a Digs, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like Dix, it just wasn't that to me.
Speaker 5: I look at it like this, when you have a chance to get talent. It doesn't matter how much he looks like the last piece that was here. You see what I'm saying, Talent, You want talent. So it's a bunch of guys sitting there. Yeah, you could go. You could pick your poison. Really, you know, it's so many guys like to see. You got Brian Thomas or what his name is. He'll be gone by then. But what I'm saying, he's around that down here, down that he's he's down.
Speaker 4: But he's the perfect match for him.
Speaker 3: You got Ryan Thomas Rome probably gone too. But it's so many guys. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You talking about key On, Yeah, I would like I would probably think that he would be one of those guys that would move up, like we talked about last week, from the second round. If he falls the second round. I think he's one of those talents too that somebody gonna say, nonah, we want that.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. He had the size there and he had the ability.
Speaker 2: So I think if they can go double Xavier, if they want to Xavier worthy in the first and then.
Speaker 4: Get in the.
Speaker 2: Second, and I think them are two legit starters, then they got the They got the money now to add ob j Right and Sea.
Speaker 3: So now they got Curtis already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got Curtis.
Speaker 3: They go your wide receiving core right now, you don't need you got Curtis.
Speaker 1: And just some names to kind of throw out that I think will be there when they're picking. It's like Mitchell is probably the number one guy, Lad McCaughey, the guy from Georgia if you're worthy from Texas, the speedzer guy, Troy Franklin, no one's really talking about anymore because he had a rough combine but also a speeds for Keyon Coleman, Ricky Pearsaw maybe my favorite.
Speaker 2: Talking about Pearsaw because everybody talks glowingly about him, but then they won't blow him up. You see what I'm saying, Like every time I talk, I hear somebody like, oh, like receiver.
Speaker 5: You didn't hear the stories that's going on about your boy from l as you saying he's a.
Speaker 3: What was they what what was reported about him? Last week? They said he had.
Speaker 5: Some some issues about big big markets, Like it was like keep a close eye on them. Yeah, And I watched a little podcast and they was like I think it was Jayden and Daniels like, hey man, they said you, they said you're going to have some some issues going. And he was just sitting there like, why me. I guess it is pick somebody. They had to pick me, But that's odd to me. It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Let's tell you what happened to me. Lead your draft lead.
Speaker 5: People want to joe that dream to their draft that it's a team of two that'll put out false narrative.
Speaker 3: They want they want you because they want you to drop for them.
Speaker 5: Like my false narrative was it was never a receiver under five to ten picked in the top top, you know, first round, because it was said to me when I was coming out that from just what I did por as pro day wise and my play for four years, I could be the first receiver taking in my draft class. But I wasn't six feet so they wasn't gonna take me. No one was gonna take me first, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So the Dolphins didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah we know who they took like four guys in front of me, Yeah, three guys from me rather, but the Dolphins put that out because they wanted me to fall to twenty eight thirty something and then they put it small print in the back of the paper. They put it front page talking about me, and then when we corrected them, like, you know, challenge nothing about it, they put a oh we sorry, that was someone wrote that in the back page. So like it's crazy how they do it. And I saw the thing about neighbors, and I'm like, this happens every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's important to remember with the draft stuff and we'll talk about Ricky pearsall in a second, is that these are all most of this information that they're getting is like media people's opinions, and then it's what the team wants to get out. So around the building, and I've got friends on different teams and I talked draft stuff with them pretty much all year around, and all of a sudden, about a month and a half out from draft time, Yeah, it just goes radio silent and can't get those dudes on the phone. So if that, if that's leaking, a team is definitely leaked. Yeah, And again I think it's also important to remember, like I find this all the time when I'm reading other people's evaluations, that fans value different things in the NFL. You know what I'm saying so like when they look at Ricky pierceon like, oh, he's like a six to one hundred and ninety five pound white dude, but like his short air quickness is insane, his ability to stem routes is insane, his contested catch ability is insane. So I can see a team and like the student's right, I want yeah, exactly, rams receiving, Yeah, and a guy that's gonna be cool, yesundred percent. And so he's a guy. So again obviously for the bill's lots of receivers for the commanders, though, I think the point still drives home like Ricky Piersaw was the last guy read, Xavier Leget would still be on the board probably at forty. But again you could fall down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Malachi Cordley dog I.
Speaker 4: Love Melica is a running back. Have you watched his female.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guy, he's rock.
Speaker 1: I watched.
Speaker 4: I know I'm talking like I know you hail.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we know you watched the probably Melica. You probably saw what kind of song he put.
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm saying, well, you shocked. But he was manhandling like DB's and linebackers.
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't really I think like The thing is because everyone had told me beforehand. It was like, oh, he's a dog he's so he turned on You're like, oh, like, I get it. I don't say like he because he is. He's fairly than seeing him at the Senior Bowl. He's just like this kind of yoked up pit, cool kind of guy and dangerous upon Dvonte's Walker from uh Carro Like, Carolina might not catch football, but he is fast as all out. I need him to catch.
Speaker 4: Don't Carolina with the guy don't catch.
Speaker 1: The ball, you can run though. Jill and Polk from what you have another dog man?
Speaker 5: You've watched him, Yeah, he was. I like both of those guys. I watched him in that bowl game. That was the first time. You know, he kind of flashed. I mean, but like that's what I say too, And it's crazy and I don't want to be long on this. They kind of discredit quarterbacks when they have good receivers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what what what matters is if if he's good and I'm good, it all worked working? What the hell you mean? At the Ken Dorsey he wasn't the best guy.
Speaker 5: Like like, oh, yeah, he had Tana, he had Tanner, Reggie, Wayne and Andre Johnson.
Speaker 3: That's what he threw to in two years. So what.
Speaker 1: That's like an All Star?
Speaker 5: But it's crazy, man, Like I was hearing how he was talking about Pinnis talking about, well he had roam and this guy and the one guy that look man, y'all trying to lord his man status because of these injuries.
Speaker 3: The dude precision and in these passes is like Pennick unheard of. He hats putting shot, but he is.
Speaker 4: He is skinny to me, like they The.
Speaker 1: Thing about him that gets me is his footwork is a little off sometimes but and he just relies all on his arm and he can absolutely rip it.
Speaker 5: He can throw his arm is like a I can't say Patrick Mahons, but you know how Pat Mahons don't need to have.
Speaker 3: His body, yeah, said, he still get the ball.
Speaker 5: That's how I see Pennings that he's making throws where the body is not set is sometimes bounds, and he's still putting it on the dime, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So who knows absolutely? And so then we got okay, like how many receivers he run off? Probably fifteen? Yeah, so there's more, there's more there. Jermaine Burton probably the first round pick if he doesn't get in trouble. Jayleen McMillan from udub Ye so super sick.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big guy. Yeah, very good. Jean Baker probably the best route runner in the class. He's six one ten, Another bigger body guy, Malik Washington from Virginia, Virginia. Yeah, Tanna, this dude has feet for days.
Speaker 3: I would say you a breakdance, ain't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a breakdancer. Brendan Rice, I mean, Jerry Son, he's signing a goat.
Speaker 5: He looks like a I won't I won't mind having Jay Rice in the late rounds.
Speaker 3: I mean, hey, step is finest.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just reading these names. These are all guys. Like, there's still five or six more guys. I sall third round. Great, So you still ain't saying Wilson He's the next one. Johnny Wilson, Jamari Thrash, Luke McCaffrey, Jacob Cowing. Other small guy, Cornelius Johnson, a big old dude from Michigan. Like they're so point of this right off?
Speaker 3: About twenty five pairents.
Speaker 5: Stop making your son go to wide receiver cas Too many receivers in the drafts.
Speaker 4: All the guy that used to play running back and they like.
Speaker 1: No dB even get paid. Yeah, I'm got Fletcher's son. That's right, he's thank you, Jason. He's he's like built like a running back. Yeah, but he's playing slot receiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fletch me up.
Speaker 5: You know they're gonna get My son is like you Tennant. I'm watching him run routes and I'm like, damn, it's like Tann. I'm watching ten in all the years and I coult on his film like no, no.
Speaker 3: He can hear.
Speaker 5: I'm like, fletch spot on, like from from this just how cat quick he is and how he runs his routes and how he's aggressively going out to the balls.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, let you hit that on the head.
Speaker 1: So all those guys you just right off, which is a lot of them. I'm sorry for those at home. Anybody those guys you're like, we want that guy here, anybody.
Speaker 3: Yep, Xavier leg it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we could get him in the second round, if he's around at that first second round pick, I'm gonna call me on the go on the stage. I'm going on the stage and say his name I don't did it. I did it what years ago?
Speaker 1: I do it again?
Speaker 4: Time for you to do it.
Speaker 6: Represent the three times Super Bowl chap America's real team. You understand me, Jerry, get out of here, just like you're cutting a problem with the thirty third pick.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna be like Buddy who wanted him eighty eight for the cop pig that you know he went on there and talk some.
Speaker 1: Crap boy anybody you're you're saying, we gotta I.
Speaker 4: Like to get even though I feel about again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's gonna be He's like going so high. I give me another name, lower, lower down, Johnny. I'm keep saying, Johnny will Johnny Wilson.
Speaker 3: He won't make it. To say that one Johnny wilt probably you don't think.
Speaker 1: I think he'll make it the second round, but I think the team will probably prioritize like a tackle or a head dresser. We only four peaks behind it, I know, But I'm just saying, like it depends on the board, like they might have to look at really.
Speaker 5: The best player for that for that time. You know the safe message you need to tackle? Yeah, and you that receiver there, you think that's.
Speaker 1: What I think I think the tackles are all going to go really early. There's probably ten guys, like starting caliber guys. They're gonna go super early. So if you don't get one of thirty six or forty, you ain't get him pretty slim. Yeah, and we just read off, I mean twenty receivers, and I would be stoked if any one of them came here. Yeah, So for me, it's like Crowley, Yeah, Xavierly gets awesome. If Johnny Wilson came here, that'd be awesome, just to see how that work.
Speaker 3: Taking it. Were picking up free agencyceivers right now too.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day, bring the rights out, you know, because I didn't know he was truly six three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what we need.
Speaker 3: We need it, like I don't change your body.
Speaker 2: I don't want the more sports cars in here unless they fought three sports cars. But I need I need an s u V. You understanding, I need to pick up truck. I need a big receiver with a big catch rate. Is that catches bad passes like he got a different between a short Defending a short receiver and defending.
Speaker 3: The Plexico birds.
Speaker 2: Plex don't need the ball to be thrown in track to him, he gonna crack that bad ball.
Speaker 5: I ain't when to cut you off. But I heard this on a I was riding somewhere. I think it was we missed them show this weekend on Friday. I think it was Friday. I don't know what that was, but it was talking about who was the last big receiver and they missed it because I'm like, wow, no one said the guy name it was Dotson.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, everybody forgets about Dodson.
Speaker 4: Dodson. Dodson was how big he was six three?
Speaker 3: He was six three, big dude, Big dude, Dawson.
Speaker 5: We have nine Dotson, Like I know thember I remember the one who they were.
Speaker 3: They basically ran up out of here.
Speaker 4: I know, because the one thing I did like about dots But I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying time, but he was the last big receiving live far in the draft.
Speaker 1: Every pay us but also to me, like Pierre was a big receiver though.
Speaker 3: You tlus, but I got it.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm saying. It's like, yeah, we think we need a big ride receiver here. If you need a big receiver, you got it. You need a small receiver, you got it. When a guy runs a four to three. You got it. And it's going to be throughout the draft. And so you know, this all came about because the receiver market conversation. I think this is going to definitely negatively affect the receiver market moving forward to every receiver class is saturated like this looking for you.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Like it's going to have guys.
Speaker 5: When I say, the guys who are worthy, stay worthy because these young guys coming in for your spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so I think that's going to do it for today's show. Guys, always a ton of fun and fans, please leave a comment about what you want to see us do live shows merch What should it be live from Wigman's Thanks so.
Speaker 3: Much for Jding. That's where you get your cakes from.
Speaker 2: I know wiggas intent he come in here by flying separated flower.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and our hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.