Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg News senior equities reporter Bailey Lipshultz, and another really big week for earnings. We are right in the thick of it, Bailey, and we're gonna be hearing a lot from big tech names as well, starting this Wednesday with Tesla. I guess Elon Musks wants us to think about Tesla as a tech company more than a car company.
Speaker 3: Right, No, exactly when you talk to Elan or even just look at what he posts on social media conversations around the company, Tesla is no longer just a car company. It's the future of taxis, it's a robot company. It's increasingly in terms of capital expenditure, a AI company, and a chip making company. So that's kind of the big push to no longer think about Tesla just as the company that makes electric vehicles.
Speaker 1: But going into these earnings, of course, we did get some delivery numbers on the core business from Tesla kind of a beat when it comes to their second quarter vehicle deliveries. I mean, how does that set the bar in terms of what we could hear on some of those other aspects of the business you were just talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I think that sets kind of a clear expectation for what the core business will deliver. The big question from that is, Okay, what are the financial implications from strong deliveries? How does that ultimately impact the business on the top and bottom line. Again, this is a company that hasn't grown car sales as quickly as many on Wall Street would have anticipated, But the big question now shifts towards Okay, how much is the company spending on things like tara fab, the partnership to build out chips alongside SpaceX, How is the company thinking about spending for optimists? This robot that they've long been talking about but haven't really delivered, kind of a key update on the humanoid robot project in recent months, in recent core and really the big key topic of discussion on the earnings call expected to be around robotaxi.
Speaker 1: And also on Wednesday, we're going to hear from another company that we think of more traditionally, I think as a tech company, one of those big mag seven players in Google parent alphabet of course, one of the big spenders in this big wave of AI Capex that it seems like we've been talking about all year long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when you look at analyst expectations, yes we will in the wake of earnings talk about software. Yes, in the wake of that, we'll be talking about cloud growth. But it does come back to that CAPEX number. And we saw analysts coming out from City saying they continue to expect all of these hyperscalers to not only deliver greater revenues, but also to spend more. And this has been a market that has been so heavily driven by these mag seven names, these big spenders continuing to spend and spend on AI infrastructure. So the big question will be are they able to build out their TPUs. They're kind of chipping that opportunity again. This is a company that plays across the entire suite of technology, and can they deliver on the upside because over the last two weeks they're up about three percent, which stands out in a market that's been up one day and down the.
Speaker 1: Next, and certainly when you think about those TPUs, you think as well about the competition with Nvidia and the GPUs. There where is Alphabet in terms of that aspect of the business.
Speaker 3: They're working to build it out. It's obviously very early days. These are two technologies that are somewhat complimentary. They do kind of compete, but I don't think many people would say the core business from the TPUs, the core business from Google and Alphabet is going after Jensen Wong's lunch, if you will. So the big question is can they find kind of a niche opportunity within the TPUs, and again, can they use that to really bolster and fill out a suite of offerings, Because when you think about the debate we've been having for even just large language models in some of those frontier labs. Anthropics obviously well ahead of Opening Eye these days, but Google its zone offering, Microsoft has its own offering. That's another corner of the market that I think people will be interested in what management says on the call.
Speaker 1: All right, and after those two major companies report Wednesday, we're going to hear from Intel on Thursday. How are we thinking the chip maker is going to fare after what we heard last week from IBM about missing out on the spending shift.
Speaker 3: Not great. I think es vibes are off, vibes are off. The one thing I want to call out is that Taiwan Semi reported earnings that if you talk to most investors, look pretty darn good, and the stock traded down. So how high are expectations for the entire semiconductor ecosystem. You have to keep in mind last twelve months, Intel's up three hundred and forty three hundred and fifty percent. There's a high bar to clear. Yes, there's the partnerships and kind of the optimism around its relationship with the US government, but we are hitting a point where we've seen so much volatility in these semiconductor names that I don't think a beaten raise is enough to drive the stock hire And the big question will be a what does the buyside really want to see? And be will they look at it and say, all right, great, Maybe I want to take some chips off the table, just because if you use Taiwan Semi as an example to look at, you can have a pretty dark good quarter, but you might be priced to professor.
Speaker 1: So are you thinking then that it's almost a foregone conclusion that we could see some profit taking following these earnings given what you've just been talking about, or is there a chance that we could see a little bit of a pop to the upside.
Speaker 3: You would have to see a pretty dark good quarter. They've been up the last three times after earnings beat expectations, but again that was before a lot of this latest rally has taken place, and before the company as it is now is a half a trillion dollar semiconductor baker.
Speaker 2: This Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm