Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour.
Speaker 2: Two on this Monday, Dan and the Dan's Dan Patrick Show, including Fritzie Glad to have you with us, a couple of coaches fired, Ron Rivera by the Commanders, Arthur Smith by the Falcons, and a couple of teams probably waiting to deliver that news, including the Patriots. Bill Belichick earlier this morning met with the media and he is going ahead with his normal schedule as the head coach of the Patriots. Said that he'll meet with Robert Kraft. At least that's the report. Later on this week, we'll get to phone calls as we always do every Monday, Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, didn't like? Eight seven to seven three DP show. Also poll question from our one and what's the poll question for hour two seton We.
Speaker 3: Had a second one up there, Dan. If Michigan wins dot dot dot Okay, Jim Harbaugh is more likely to stay or go okay right now, go is at eighty six percent of the vote on okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if his coaching future hinges on whether they win or lose. In my opinion, now I haven't heard anything. I just a gut feeling of Harball. Okay, got you back here. Now we're playing for a national title, although they are favored, and I wonder what the future looks like for Michigan football. You know, JJ McCarthy's going to go into the NFL draft finding that quarterback. But really, what Jim does. Jim finds a style. He finds players who fit the style that he wants. And do you think it's just a coincidence that John Harball has the best defense in the NFL and Jim Harball has one of the best defenses in college football. It's not a coincidence that this is how they built their teams. They play physical football, and you got, you know, Jim Harball playing for the national title and John Harball has got, you know, maybe the best team in the AFC. What else do you have their seat O'Connor. When Jim Harbaugh speaks, this isn't a pole question. I'm just asking you something.
Speaker 5: Uh Is that a bit? Is that a joke? Wow?
Speaker 3: Like he'll say, like they're like asking him questions just this past weekend about his future and he's like, well, I address my future after the game. I mean, I hope I even have one. I mean, I hope we all have a future. We obviously want to continue living as long as possible, and uh that would entail a future that we all need to be Hopefully we'll have one coming. He got nothing guaranteed, nothing's guaranteed about today or what like. He goes on these weird diatribes about random things.
Speaker 5: Is that a joke? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: But this is a guy who recently said that if Jesus was playing, he'd be a five tool player.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and I go, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Like of all the random thoughts that sandals really cuts down on your speed though when you're playing at you know, not aim in that long grass. Oh oh he you know, touchdown Jesus out there. Yeah, but he said he'd be a five five tool player.
Speaker 3: That's the he's serious when he's speaking, or is he.
Speaker 2: Just I think so I've been you know, I've been around him, and even when you're around him, you're like, Okay, is this is this real? You know, like Andy Kaufman, the great comedian that people would be around him and then they'd be like, Andy, is this a bit?
Speaker 5: And he just kept going he just that's the way he was. He didn't change.
Speaker 2: Now, Jim's not trying to be a comedian, but he is quirky, he's different, He's funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jim Harbaugh feels like an actor who's in a TV show with a football coach and he decides to never ever ever break character, like Daniel day Lewis. Like you meet Harbaugh, he walks up to his shoulders are up. He went shakes your hand like it's the fourth down. You know, he's intense and he's if I feel like he's always in character.
Speaker 2: National Title game coming up tonight. DraftKings has Washington getting four and a half. So you go from this setting the Rose Bowl to NRG Stadium in Houston, which would be like going from the Grand Canyon to the Mall of America. Like, hey, you want some ambiance the Rose Bowl. Hey you don't want any ambionce come on down to Houston and NRG Stadium. Now, I have been in the stadium for a Super Bowl and it gets lively there. But man, having a National Title game in some of these great stadiums, that Rose Bowl, if you said that's the permanent home of the National Title Game, I'd be like, I'll sign up for that, love it every time. Now, I know it's business and they shop these things around. I get it, but i'd be all in, you have a National title game at the Rose Bowl, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: I don't even like the Orange Bowl and hard Rock Stadium. I want the Orange Bowl at the Orange Bowl. I knowed Orange Bowl has been torn down, but bring it back.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, no no no. That wasn't a good stadium at all. It's like the Boston Garden, the original Boston Garden. People would be like, eh, they'd roman they'd romanticize about the Boston Garden. I go, have you been in there? Have you been in there? That floor on TV? Growing up?
Speaker 5: I'm like, God, look at the park floor, you know.
Speaker 2: I was like, I remember asked my mom why can't we have a parquet floor? And she goes, we have carpet. I'm like, okay, all right, just wondering like a park floor. And then I went nineteen eighty four, eighty three, eighty four, I think first time I went to the Garden, I'm like, what now you go into the locker room, visiting locker room. My high school locker room was Nicer didn't have hot water in the Boston Garden. Teams would say, I'm like, it looks better on TV. Yeah, there's just certain things that look better on TV. You don't want to get too close, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'm just thinking about the pageantry, the patch like it's a dump.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's our dump. So the Falcons announced that Arthur Smith is fired. Ron Rivera's gone, Belichick likely out of New England. Antonio Piers went five and four as an interim coach. Looks like he would be the guy to get that. Now, this is what it's going to come down to. I think that if Mark Davis, the owner of the Raiders, has a chance at Jim Harball or Bill Belichick that he's going to he would hire those one of those two coaches. If he doesn't get those two coaches, I think that he's going to stay with Antonio Piers. I don't know if he can afford them. He's still paying coaches. But I get the feeling that if Harball or Belichick decide they want the Raiders job, that Antonio Pierce would not get it. Now there's also Mike Rabel, I don't I think Dennis Allen is probably safe in New Orleans. Although man, what a wild finish there yesterday. All right, I'll get to that in a moment. Here, by the way, we say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. That's our streaming partner. Phone calls coming up, best and worst of the weekend. The guys have been on hold since last hour. We'll get to those coming up, and a few things to talk about the Buffalo Bills. The Buffalo Bills have the third best odds according to DraftKings to win the Super Bowl. So it's the Niners, it's the Ravens, the Buffalo Bills, who had to squeak in and now they have the number two seat after beating the Miami Dolphins in Miami. Now Miami gets to go to Kansas City and Josh Allen giveth and he taketh away. But here they are. They're in Bob and Montana leads us off. Hi, Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey DP, I'm calling here with my worst and best and the bestest of the weekend. You know, obviously my worst being from Missoula, Montana. The Grizzloft they only got one field goal in the game, so that was a bit disappointing. But I watched the game live from this little tiny sports bar in Memphis and I try to sample for the first time ever of Pathy Van Winkle and it was delicious. So thanks for the recommendation. And then the bestest I've actually I was on Hope for a little bit during the Elvis Birthday proclamation ceremony. I'm actually calling you live right now from the front lawn of Graceland and everything, and I figured you would appreciate that sence you and your wife are getting your vows. We do in here next month. So that's my bestest best. So the weekend I got to do all the Elva stuff and I'm talking to you live from Graceland, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Bob.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm not sure I might rene renew my vows at the Elvis Champel again like I did many many years ago with my wife and Bob, I think you're an Elvis impersonator. So you have a lot of Elvis outfits.
Speaker 4: I have. I have three Elvis suits. I have the Aloha suit, a red one, and a black one. So I was going to drive now with a buddy bring all my suits all my capes and my boots and my belts and all that stuff, So I figured you could have first, I'll wear one of them, and then one of the other guys, probably Marvin would probably be the best ship for the third one. Okay, you know what, and I am looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: Are you going to drive to Vegas for the show?
Speaker 4: I am, okay, down to Vegas?
Speaker 2: All right, stay on hold. Tyler's going to get your information so you can stop by the set with your elvis gear and then be more than happy to have you put on your elvis costume and I'll put on one as well.
Speaker 4: Wow, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks, all right, Bob, have fun there down there Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee. Alan in Florida, Hi, Alan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 5: Can you get off speakerphone there?
Speaker 9: Al?
Speaker 5: Yes, there you go? What's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Heay? Okay, Phil's Mafia and it is called squish the fish when you beat the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: And the worst of the weekend was by far having to watch Tampa Bay win a field goal best nine nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it but it works. The Buccaneers beat the Panthers nine to nothing. The third game this season without a touchdown for the Panthers. That's the most games without a touchdown in this single season since two thousand and six. Rysterarius Rucker Stat of the Deck.
Speaker 10: Stat of the Day of the day. Here comes the stat of the Day, aystat of the Day, stat of the name. Here comes the stat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Jake and Buffalo, Hi, Jake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hedp blest and worse? And then I had a Who's stats for you. Obviously, my bill's never easy, but win's a win. Finally made it in, so that's good. The worse is the Jaggs and Jaggs fans. Five weeks ago they had like a ninety chance to get in the playoffs and they missed out yesterday.
Speaker 5: You feel for those guys, Oh my gosh, yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: And then blind stats for the MVP taking Josh Allen completely out of it. Quarterback one sixty seven percent passer thirty six hundred yards, twenty nine total touchdowns. Quarterback two sixty nine percent forty five hundred yards, thirty eight total touchdowns. Quarterback three sixty nine percent, forty two hundred yards, thirty three total touchdowns.
Speaker 5: So whose stants would I want?
Speaker 8: Who would be the MVP?
Speaker 4: Out of those?
Speaker 8: Those are three quarterbacks and it seems like it's a shoe win for Lamar. But I don't get it. It's one of your thoughts and why it's automatically.
Speaker 5: The who would you give it back?
Speaker 8: On the teamster?
Speaker 5: Who would you give it to?
Speaker 8: I mean, if we take Allen out of it, the interceptions are definitely an issue. I mean, Dak quarterback two is DAK quarterback three is brock Party. They are better stats than Lamar.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just I'm confused. Why it's automatically always the quarterback on the team with the best record.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been that way the last ten years, and thanks for the phone calls. You have to be a number one or number two seed and usual year quarterback is going to win the MVP or at least be in consideration for that.
Speaker 5: How about Jordan Love? Last half of the season. Has there been a.
Speaker 2: Better quarterback than Jordan Love? Packers are six and two their last eight games, eighteen touchdowns, one pick in eight games eighteen and one pick. Big win yesterday and his numbers his first year is a starter, Aaron Rodgers first year as a starter. By comparison, Jordan Love had a better season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, I was looking at Jordan Love this year. He didn't have a monster game. He didn't have one game where we featured him all year. He would have games with you know, two touchdowns, no picks, and two hundred and sixty yards, you know, like they were all nice games. He didn't have that four or five touchdown, four hundred yard game to get where the week became about him. He just steadily put up good stats and better stats as a week went along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, that's a balanced team. And if they have a running game, I mean that's really the key because I thought that you get that healthy running game that helps him, then you do have to, you know, be respectable towards play action pass and you get good defense there. But they won the game that they had to win. By the way, all four teams in the AFC North finished with winning records. The last time that happened in the NFL that one division had all teams all four teams winning records nineteen thirty five.
Speaker 11: Statu to day STATU today status to day STATU to day STATU to day STATU day startup to day startup.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm watching the Saints game against the Falcons, and I'm just thinking, all right, I think I fire Arthur Smith as he walks off the field, the Falcons head coach. Now they're being blown out by the Saints, and then all of a sudden, Jameis Winston is in the game mop up duty and they're in a victory formation down at like the two yard line, and all of a sudden, Jameis Winston decides that he's going to change the play. They're supposed to be taking a knee now at the time, I don't know if the Saints, if Dennis Allen, the head coach, called in the play, and here's Jameis Winston after they scored a touchdown. After the game, Arthur Smith and Dennis Allen, you know, they had a little confrontation there where Arthur Smith said that was basically bs Dennis Allen didn't send that play in.
Speaker 5: Jamis Winston changed the call.
Speaker 12: And I almost start off by apologizing Arthur Smith and the and Falcons. That was not a play that we intended to run down there to finish out that game. That's not who we are, that's not how we operate. We should have taken a knee, So I want to apologize to them. We got a good rivalry, and it's a heated rivalry, but there's a way we go about doing our business and I wasn't happy about that.
Speaker 5: All right, here's Jameis Winston.
Speaker 13: Well, I apologize to Day because the play was was victory, but I also explained to d A it was a team decision. And uh, and I think when you have a team around and I actually guys say, guys, like, what do you what do you want to do? We know how much of them all means to this team. And I understood from DA's perspective, So I give him that. But the DA didn't condone it at all, you know, he didn't. However, Uh, we decided as a team to do it, and we got an interception to the one yard line, you know, like so if if we were scored, what is there would have been disrespected?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, somebody's got to help James.
Speaker 2: It was a team decision, even though the coach said it's victory formation. And you want to get Jamal Williams into the end zone and you change the play and he's standing by that. Can you trust him as you're starting quarterback? Yeah, well, you know we just got I mean, would have been disrespectful if we scored on an interception? No, that wouldn't have been disrespectful. But you're in victory formation. The defense is giving up, the game is over, and then you want to take matters in your own hands. There Johnny Unitis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, like the defense are barely even in like an athletic stance, let alone you're ready for them to.
Speaker 5: Do Let's go ahead. Oh yeah, Do.
Speaker 6: You not blame Jamis because he's a little uh here, Okay, I don't know how to say this. He seems to be going on his own path in life when he talks, when he does things. I don't think he's aware of what he did yesterday. Like can you hear his apology? It was started to be an apology and then they think he said, I kind of stand by it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Yeah, Todd.
Speaker 9: How could you be so disrespectful for your coach? Can you not have that conversation? Was there no time Briver to say, Hey, the guys really want to get Jamal a touchdown? And then Dennis Allenboud obvious say no, we're not doing that, and that'll be the end of it. Put in such a bad position. Of course, author Smith's can be pissed off at the end of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get it. Yeah, yeah, uh, Tod.
Speaker 3: I'm going to apologize in advance for this, but that sound bite when watching Jamis Winston and listening to him speak while he was at his library excuse me, while he was at his locker. I don't know he might, but he was standing there at the locker and he was talking, and those soundbites go on. There's many more of them of him being like, but this is great, right, I mean, uh, it has all the same energy as when when we were trying to convince Todd about the sausage off things and how those things don't rhyme or like Todd, but you realize that, like like fork and Falk don't rhyme. You realize that, right, And he just was not like, what do you mean, No, this is I'm doing the thing right.
Speaker 5: Look, isn't this exactly what it's like?
Speaker 3: It was the exact same energy from Jamis a nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we love him, We want to get down Todd was singing the Oliyan Newton John tribute and didn't realize that it was horrible.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, but you just blew through the stop.
Speaker 3: So nobody in the moment though, was like, Todd, do you realize this is awful?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: The sausage off that we're trying to be like, no mancy, but the thing that you're doing it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, go back to when Jamis was eating the w oh darn.
Speaker 6: But I don't want him to go away though. I want him in the NFL because when he comes in a game, someone scoring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well even when you're not supposed to, right, Yeah, one of the two teams is scoring when he goes on there. How about we take a break. We're going to take a break. Let me let me ask Tim Hasselback, the former quarterback works for the Mothership, how that works that all of a sudden now victory formation, you decide to change the call at the line of scrimmage. Also the most disappointing team in the NFL, and once again, it's been over three decades that we've had at least four teams get into the playoffs who didn't make the playoffs the previous year back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 14: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing.
Speaker 14: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 15: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blober li lame and me.
Speaker 14: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 15: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 14: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promise. And also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even.
Speaker 5: A little harder.
Speaker 14: It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 15: There you go, over Promising, and remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen to over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hey, if you won consistency, the Atlanta Falcons had consistency, how about this twenty twenty one, seven and ten, eighth pickoverall, twenty twenty two, seven and ten, eighth pick overall twenty twenty three, seven and ten, and they'll have the eighth pick overall. Congratulations Atlanta, And that's why you're going to get a new head coach. I gotta find a quarterback skill position, guys, certainly on offense, and you see that sometimes you'll just get sort of the embryonic stages of this where you go go Lee, they got something there, they just don't have that quarterback. And not having that quarterback is a big reason why Arthur Smith got fired. Ron Rivera got fired as well. Probably a couple more coaches will be fired today or this week.
Speaker 5: Ass point this may be irony.
Speaker 6: But I'm finding a few articles around the twenty to twenty one draft. Remember Matt Ryan was kind of on his way out, and the Atlanta Falcons had the fourth pick of the draft that was the highest in the Matt Ryan era. And a lot of people encourage them to take a quarterback because they're never in the top four. They could have had Justin Fields or mac Jones. But let's say Justin Fields, who is there a lot of people think they're going to trade for. They could have had Justin Fields three years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think Justin Fields with that offense would be a whole lot of fun. All Right, our good buddy Tim hansel Beck. We always love having him on. He makes us smarter. He appears on Sports Center tonight after the Michigan Washington game to break down the college football title gain. All right, let me start there. Tell me how Washington wins this game.
Speaker 16: Oh.
Speaker 17: I think Washington wins the game if Michael Pennox Junior plays the way he did last week, because look, his passing is special, you know, I mean I think when you look at him his deep ball accuracy and what that means. If you can, you know, have time to get the ball off talented receivers like that. To me, Dan is like the differentiator for them. Look at the two teams. Washington's quarterback in terms of as a passer accuracy down.
Speaker 16: The field, he's special and he's different than the other side.
Speaker 2: Okay, Michigan is going. It's pretty obvious how Michigan wins this game.
Speaker 17: I think it's a bit of bullyball for them. Yeah, I mean it's the physical team. And you know, saying that, like it doesn't work the entire game. You know, much like the game last week, there does need to be up a few plays and so whether it's you know, something creative with a back out of the backfield or hiding somebody to get open, or you know, a really good catch on a play that's closely contested, something like that will need to happen for Michigan or.
Speaker 16: Quarterback run whatever. But yeah, that like they are who you know we think they are.
Speaker 2: Well, I was wondering is it just a coincidence that Jim Harball and John Harball have similar teams this year?
Speaker 17: So I think probably the household they grew up in, maybe some things were instilled in them in terms of what we truly believe works. Yeah, and really I think if you were to look at their coaching careers in general, and every team's different.
Speaker 16: You know, Jim had Andrew Luck at one point.
Speaker 17: They're pretty good throwing the football, but they also ran the heck out of football with Toby Gerhart too, right.
Speaker 16: I think that.
Speaker 17: These guys have definitely had a personality of their football teams that's been consistent.
Speaker 2: Any inkling one way or another, the result, the impact that will have on Harball's future.
Speaker 16: You know, I would just totally be speculating, but.
Speaker 17: I do think that a lot of college coaches, when they climb to the mountaintop in college football, start to get curious about, well, could I do this again at the next level, Like you and I have talked before about, like I played for Steve Spurrier, like he just had a lot of success. I think there's always going to be curiosity when you get to the top in college football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but control. College coaches love control, but they don't have that control anymore.
Speaker 16: No, Yeah, that's one hundred percent sure. The environment is different.
Speaker 17: But I as much as coaches will say, and I think a lot of coaches truly believe this, Like Hey, the logo on your polo like that doesn't say anything about what type of coach you are. But listen, Bill Belichick, if he were to have accomplished what he accomplished with the Patriots in college football, people want to say, like, hey, that's the best coach of all time? Right, like they would they would say, well, I wonder if he could do that in the NFL. So it doesn't matter to me if Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Chip Kelly, you know, Jim Harball, Like I think the conversation around it at the highest level that the sport has played, and these guys are competitive, I think that at some point it's somewhere in their brain of could I have that same success at the top.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Saban was not successful in the NFL, but he's considered the greatest college coach of all time. Not the greatest coach. But is he in the conversation of greatest coach of all time?
Speaker 5: In your opinion?
Speaker 16: Well? Probably?
Speaker 17: For what I just said, Probably not right because I think there there's also an element that we would probably say and not every coach took the same path of like, hey, he coached in college and then he coached in the pros. But you know, some guys have had that crossover. I think many people would say, well, look, Belichick would have had similar success in college. He's just that good, that innovative, that that could have a game day coach.
Speaker 16: He would have surrounded himself with good coaches.
Speaker 17: So but because he's done it at the highest level, we're talking about winning super Bowls, I think that, you know, it's a natural thing to say it for him, but not say for somebody that's had similar success.
Speaker 16: But at the college.
Speaker 2: Level, if you had the number one pick in the NFL Draft, you would take Grick May.
Speaker 17: I think I told you guys that probably before the season started, and you know, in his season wasn't probably what I thought that it would be or what he thought that it would be. But this next phase of the evaluation process, Dan is.
Speaker 16: Everyone's gonna love him.
Speaker 17: Like there's his competitiveness, his intelligence, his physical ability, the things that you can measure, you know, the care factor for him, I was like, all of it, You're gonna look, everyone's gonna look at it and say, like, in terms of leading your franchise, like there there aren't gonna be things that give you pause they're just there are They're not gonna pop up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it felt like he was under the radar this year and we didn't expect him to be great. We expected Caleb Williams in USC to be great this year, and Caleb did it. Caleb was great this year when you consider that defense was horrible. He kept them in games. It felt like with Drake May, were like, oh, that's right, Drake May. We didn't hold him to the same standard I think as we did some of these other quarterbacks. Why do you think that is?
Speaker 17: Yeah, probably expectation of the program. You know, obviously a lot surrounding USC, what we thought they would be, what we thought they would be offensively, and then maybe how I had the defense was that's probably you know, kind of alarming and yeah, and then just like postgame reaction stuff that generated criticism that you know, I think was you know, probably surprising for some and I.
Speaker 16: Would say this for you know, look, Carolina's program was not the same, like I just it wasn't and they had to change in offensive coordinator. So I think there was a lot to all of that.
Speaker 2: But does the Mitch Trubisky career have anything you know, is there any impact on Drake May. If you're the Bears, would you have pause of drafting another North Carolina quarterback?
Speaker 17: No, because I think the skill set, the experience, like this guy checks free box, so it does not wears like tis you know there was limited starts.
Speaker 16: There was you know, there were other things to say.
Speaker 17: Like we definitely are projecting, and now look, we're projecting with all of these guys, Like anybody who acts like they're not out his line, Like he's projective with Justin Fields. We're projected with Jared Goff, Matt Stafford, like projected with Rock Purty. We're we're projecting right, Like I think it was Chip Kelly's comment like quarterbacks are a little bit like tea bags, Like you can think you're getting green tea, but like until you put it in the hot water, like you're not really sure like what exactly it is.
Speaker 16: But with Drake May, like when you go through.
Speaker 17: The process and you see the ability and all of that stuff and the competitive nature, the intelligence all of that, there aren't gonna be similarities to mis Trupisky.
Speaker 2: He's Jim hasselback espn ACC football. Elaine former NFL quarterback, all Right, explain this to me, you being a backup quarterback for most of your career, you're in a game victory format.
Speaker 5: That was really really that was really nice.
Speaker 16: It was all of my career.
Speaker 2: I know, I was trying trying to be respectful.
Speaker 16: Colly that you like turned over a new leaf.
Speaker 5: Really soft hassleback I've been not only.
Speaker 16: Was I a career back, like in my own family, you're.
Speaker 2: Not even the best quarterback in your own family. Okay, okay, explain to me. Jameis Winston goes in victory formation, run out the clock, you won the game, and he decides he's going to change the play and they run in for a touchdown, and he stands by that that it was a team decision. Even though Dennis Allen said victory formation, how does that work?
Speaker 17: Well, I mean the way it works is they send in Peter, Carl Michael Junior sends in, Hey, you know victory and that's what you should do.
Speaker 16: And James being one of.
Speaker 2: One, for sure, that's very nice on your part. There a one of one, you know, New Year's resolution. You're being nice too, one of one okay, And in.
Speaker 17: Fairness, how Jamis came into the league versus how back a quarterback like myself came into the league, I would have melted the ball down. Jamis probably maybe with a little more creativity and willingness to take a chance saying hey, look, this is what we're going to do. It should be told on the timing of it. There's no way that was a team consensus. I think, Look, I actually don't think this is as clear cut as maybe people would think that.
Speaker 16: I think that it is melted the ball down. I think they should have melt the ball down. However, there is an element of like, look, this is pro football and you're paid to stop the other team.
Speaker 17: And we just had a week where we're talking about incentives, and we're talking about rewarding guys that you know don't always get the same opportunities, and so could there be an environment where that team, that locker room would love to see him score. Yes, absolutely, and would feel you know, no sympathy to the Atlanta Falcons for trying to do that. Now, now saying all of that, I do think in the culture of your football team, if you're going to do something like that, victory formation comes in and say, hey, d you Dannas Allen, like, we'd love to get him a score.
Speaker 16: Okay, like like, let's let can we do this? I think you'd have time to have that conversation.
Speaker 2: I think if they didn't line up in the victory formation, I would have been fine, Yeah, because I.
Speaker 16: Don't think they would have had been addressed with the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt bad for Dennis Allen going out there to midfield and Arthur Smith wants to give him a piece of you know, he knows he's gonna get fired and he's gonna, you know, say and Dennis Allen's like, hey, I'm so sorry about that. You know, not my fault. Blame jamis there.
Speaker 17: Well, Jamison's reaction after he kind of cop to the situation, it was probably not an idea.
Speaker 2: It wasn't no no. If he said, look I went rogue, it's on me. I take the blame. But I wanted to get my guy a touchdown there. Okay, By the way, who do you have tonight?
Speaker 16: So I think Michigan wins the football game?
Speaker 5: Okay, close.
Speaker 17: I do think it's close because I because like they to me, it don't seem like they're they're blowing Washington out. With Washington's ability to stay competitive, especially with the passing game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I hope it's a great title game. You know that this last go round of the Final four. I just hope we get treated and the last game for a PAC twelve team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 17: And how great was last weekend? Like I you know, the game got over so late. You know, Scott was looking at me. He's like, man, this is really this is late, and uh like if games are going to be like this, we can three of them.
Speaker 5: One have fun tonight. Thank you, Tim, I appreciate to you.
Speaker 13: That.
Speaker 2: That's Tim hasselback E SPNACC Network football analyst, former NFL quarterback. He'll be with Scott Van Pelt after the National Title game on Sports Center. Take a break our best and Worst of the weekend. More of your phone calls right after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live best and Worst of the weekend. We will give you hours more phone calls coming up. Trevor Lawrence, oh and five down the stretch and it didn't didn't end well in Nashville yesterday. Jags go nine to eight and this was a gimme playoff game win and you're in.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: I think it's obvious you're picking up the fifth year option. Maybe not as obvious as we would have thought it was starting this season.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just feels like there's you know, what are we waiting for? What are we waiting for with Trevor Lawrence? Is it the same we're waiting for with Justin Herbert? Have you seen more out of Justin Herbert than you have Trevor Lawrence? Justin Herbert got paid a lot of times. These quarterbacks, they're speeding it up and they're getting it after their third year in the league. I mean, that is the goal to get into that next contract a year earlier. But six teams Browns, Lions, Packers, Texans, Rams Steelers made the playoffs after not making the playoffs last year. So that's thirty four consecutive years that at least four teams have qualified for the playoffs after missing the playoffs the previous year. And that's the fun part. For next year. You're going to look at at least four teams are going to make the playoffs, you know, and one of those teams. Might be the Bengals because they lost Joe Burrow. Everybody in that division finished with a winning record. Maybe Minnesota with Kirk Cousins coming back, that might be two of the four or five, maybe six. All right, let me get to Buddha, San Francisco been holding Buddha. Thanks for holding best and worst to the weekend?
Speaker 5: What FDP, Bud?
Speaker 18: Good morning boys, Stay strong, Fritzy. But Dan, the NFL is fascinating. I mean, that's why it's the King right. I mean to add your quick stat all three Lake Erie teams made the playoffs.
Speaker 4: First time that's ever happened in NFL history.
Speaker 18: That's pretty cool, the bill, Dan, since the infamous neutral zone in fraction heard around the world, moved up nine spots and finished in second place in the AFC. Suck it, Nick right, and then Dan, Joe Flacco sits out and watches his backup play the last.
Speaker 16: Week of the season.
Speaker 18: What but Ba's of the weekend? Dan, fifth rounder Puka Nakua sitting a sixty three year old record. Kid bawled his tail off all year. I couldn't be happier for him and his mama. What a cool scene that was yesterday and the worst of the weekend DP Jamis went Jameis Winston and a Saints player, I mean, in a very polarizing move going for the TV while in like you know, big three formation.
Speaker 4: That's the rub, right, I.
Speaker 18: Mean, Jamis has always had a little that Cam Newton rogue like kookie egotistical vibe going on.
Speaker 5: Not good good, thank you Buddha.
Speaker 2: Pooka Nakua one hundred and five receptions, fourteen hundred eighty six yards, So the NFL records for most receptions by a rookie and the most receiving yards by.
Speaker 5: A rookie as well.
Speaker 2: And now you go into Detroit, which is gonna be really really spicy there, all right, best and worst of the weekend, Tom, I'll start with you.
Speaker 9: Best of the weekend Texans wide receiver a Nico Collins Saturday night in Indy Houston didn't have number two, three and four receivers. Colin steps up nine catches, one hundred and ninety five yards and a TV worst going hockey Blackhawk's lookie forward number one picking the twenty twenty three drip. Connor Bedard injured reserve could miss extensive time, jaw broken Friday night after a hit by Devil's defender Brendon Smith.
Speaker 5: Ain't see no connor.
Speaker 3: I have two worsts of the weekend. One was we need to pump the brakes a bit on how great snow games are, because not all snow games are created equal. And you didn't enjoy the Jets and Patriots. It was a little bit like, uh, what's that call when you like, like you whip your own back? Uh, you know, like they did it in flogging, Yes, when you're like self flogging yourself. Watching that game was a little bit like flogging yourself because I felt like a certain obligation to watch Bill Belichick's potentially last game with the Patriots. You're like, oh my god, this feels like a big occasion.
Speaker 5: Wait, what is that called?
Speaker 2: It's the Da Vinci code, and the albino is is punishing himself.
Speaker 3: That like one like monk or priest or whatever he is. He's like, yeah, he like has like a cat in nine tails or whatever it's called, and he's getting himself on the back with it. That's what watching that game was like. Sitting on my couch, I might as well have been like it was like punishment for like, thank you, Bill for everything you've given us. I'll just suffer through this horrendous game that was.
Speaker 2: Rob And then his face was covered so we couldn't even see the facial expression.
Speaker 3: You don't even get to try and read his lips. You don't even get to see. All you saw was his you know, lifeless dead eyes like the Jaws, like a dollar's eyes the Jaws.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, it's terrible.
Speaker 3: And the other one, the other worst of the weekend was Hollywood Award shows. I don't mind them, I like them a lot, but we have to stop playing with the categories so much. Okay, The Bear, which is a great show. I absolutely loved it. I've seen it three times already. I absolutely loved that show. And it won the Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Series. And if anyone has seen The Bear, Wow, the thing that they know most about that is that one the show is not a musical and two it is not funny. It is that show is not a comedy at all. Now there's funny moments, but it is absolutely not a comedy.
Speaker 5: They just took no, they just took.
Speaker 3: An award away from a show that say was more of like a musical like Daisy Jones in the sixth probably would fit better in that category than It's like saying the bear. Calling that a comedy or a musical is like saying Succession was a comedy in a musical.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely not. But they put shows in these other categories so they have a better chance of winning, which feels like they should do better.
Speaker 2: Back after this, all right, No, I still got a minute to go before uh, Marvin, I'll get to you and Paulie's best and worst of the weekend coming up. I only watched the opening monologue by who is that Joe Coy I don't. Yeah, I think he's kind of famous only because he was dating Chelsea Handler.
Speaker 3: Now he's famous for making a really lame Taylor Swift joke.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was an uneven monologue, and then he was kind of putting it on others like I didn't write all these jokes, and hey, I've only been writing this for a week and a half, Like where's Ricky Gervais although he won last night. The word is self flagellation.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: I was self flagellating myself yesterday for about three hours and it was terrible.
Speaker 5: So it's Todd privately all right,