Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, Hi, it's fifty and I feel like we always forget, like, wait, isn't what we're supposed to say? Hi? Hey, how is everyone today? Ah? So, oh, it's the day before fourth of July, but if you're listening to it's probably the fourth or a half there.
Speaker 2: How are you fourth of July?
Speaker 1: Are you going to do anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we are. Like I mentioned, we're doing our annual glamping trip with some friends, which doesn't even deserve to be called glamping. We're just renting a house. So but we don't leave until Thursday morning, So I guess I just have a day off tomorrow. I'm gonna try and take it off, but something tells me I'm gonna have to work in the morning, just a little bit, just because I can. I kind of I'm okay with working even though you're supposed to be off, if it means when you come back on Monday that you'll be a little less stressed.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're gonna take the whole So you guys get Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. No, we don't get it off. Although if you work for the government, apparently you get out early on the day before the fourth, like, Husbey was home at two o'clock, text to me, like, what's for dinner?
Speaker 1: No, like, you tell me you're home first?
Speaker 2: I know. I'm like, why they let you out of school early?
Speaker 1: Go, that's exactly what it feels like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next thing, I know, He's like, I broke the pipe to the sink. Oh god, that's great, my problem.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. No, Well, Superman, I'm like, did they Well they have obviously off on tomorrow, but I don't know. If they have the rest of the week off, that would be awesome. But I'm headed to Essence Fest this weekend.
Speaker 2: That's right? And is that going to be Superman going with you? Is that your your honeymoon? I mean, not your honeymore in your anniversary.
Speaker 1: He honestly does not like the Mega crown. So no. But I'm happy because Adrina, my best friend, will be there. She's got two of her clients that are speaking in Essen's best but also my sister Tracy and Lisa are coming, so that'll be fun girl's trips exactly.
Speaker 2: Wait no, wait, that was a pun, But I didn't mean it to be a pun.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know. No. Yeah, So I'm excited because it'll be a nice, fun time And I think the headliner, isn't it Janna Jackson? Miss Jackson, If you're nasty, I.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what's happening in the world. Yeah, I think Janna Jackson's she's like getting her due finally. I feel like many we did, the internet, the entertainment industry did her so dirty. I feel like it's finally time for Janet to just get her due. Didn't she Like she got the Life Time Achievement Award at some award show. Recently, she's been on tour, she's been killing it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're doing with poor jam I mean, the thing is, she definitely has had her like whooh jet it. She's like, you know, like before Beyonce was on the scene. So it's not that they've never recognized her, but after that whole Nipplegate.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially since Justin Timberlake has gone on to like, you know, no, I agree, I agree. So any well, I'll give you some update on the house socks. Just before we started taping today, Superman was livid because we got a dumpster, and normally dumpsters go anywhere between I guess like six to eight hundred dollars for a dumpster, sometimes a little more. And so we got a dumpster. He's like, I FO had a good one. This one's five hundred dollars. And I was like, oh, that sounds good, right, I mean, I don't know, I'm not familiar with dumpster prices. And so we got it. You know, he didn't even really fill it up because honestly, we didn't have that much. It was mostly wood and so it wasn't super full, and you know, they took it away. We thought everything was great, and so we got another bill for like four hundred and fifty dollars via email and saying that like the dumpster was over by four tons, and I'm like, that seems odd for a non full dumpster. So I'm realizing now. I didn't get a chance to take a look at the company online, but I'm I'm I probably wouldn't be surprised that that's their gotcha gotcha that they get you with this low price and then they hit everybody with the extra. Hey, psych thought you had to deal. So I just told Superman, call your credit card company before they charge you. They've already charged the initial five hundred, call your credit card company and be like, don't allow this charge to come through because it's fraudulent, and they're trying to because how you're gonna tell us we went over there's no like, where's the proof. It's not like they take you to the measuring site and then they put something else in the wording where it's like and and even when we when we drop it off at the at the waste whatever landfill, it might be even more expensive because they might say it's more. I'm like, oh, we're not doing all this, so you just won't be allowed to charge our cards. So yeah, it was just like it's just a learning lesson about like, you know, the cheapest is not always the best obviously, and then to do like we really typically we do our due diligence. But Superman is new to the review to the review game, so he's just looking like, oh, okay, but I'm always all about the reviews. I don't care what your mom said, your sister said, I want to see the stars online, like how many stars you have? And I want to read the one star reviews? What did they say about you? You're a thief? Not in my house?
Speaker 2: So you let Superman pick the dumpster people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I'm a little too. I'm a little micromanagy And I'm sorry to Husby, but like I I want to read the reviews myself and I want to do I don't know, I'm just like a little OCD about vetting everybody we talked to, and like Husby is always like yeah, yeah, we're good, We're good, and I'm like no, no, no, no, no, Like we just got our we just chose our contractor it was a classic case of goldilocks, Like the first bid was too high, the other bid was too low and they were also mean to us, and the second bid was just right. We had a good feeling, he had great reviews, we both liked him. Blah blah blah. His his bid, while not the lowest, was reasonable and he seemed very like straightforward about everything. But when I got the actual contract, it was like the dinkiest little paragraph, which basically was like a fancier email than what he had sent us with the original bid, like we'll do XYZ for this much money, it'll take this much time. It had like the essential information, but it didn't look to me like any sort of legally binding contract should where it didn't have anything about what happens if you don't complete the job and what happens if we stopped paying you. You know, there wasn't that protection for both sides. And then I did some research into what a contract should you know. First I texted a couple of friends I know who have recently done renovations, and they were both like, our contract was ten pages long. Meanwhile mine was like five hundred words. So I went on Angie's list and they had a nice little explainer on what a contract should include. And actually he had the key essentials. It was just very like bare bones. But what we were missing, though, is something really important that I asked him to add and he said, okay, which is alien elite. I can't say this word right lean release L I E N. And what can happen if you don't have this is like, so your your general contractor is going to hire an electrician, a plumber, HVAC person like the trade people working under him, and then he's going to be the one paying them. Okay, if they do a project on your house and the contractor doesn't pay them, they could have a case against you and sue you put a lien on your house and then say you owe them money. Yeah. So I checked our my husband's a cousin's recent home improvement contract and they had a lean release. So I emailed him and I was like, we need to add this language to the contract and also a couple other things. And now I'm just like, you know, like we went from kind of being like totally set on someone and now we have another delay because we need to get this contract in shape.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's worth it though, And honestly, normally when it comes to all the other things, I was like, it's just the dumpster. What's the harm.
Speaker 2: Can whatever?
Speaker 1: Like you know, understand because all the other things, I was like okay, no, ok yeah, okay, no, okay yeah, And like I was showing him like okay, like because he was like, oh my god, I saw people across the street were getting floors done. I got the name of the guy. We should get them. I'm like, well, no, that's not how that works. So yeah, I mean, we live and we learned. I just saw him, don't I know. He was like really upset about it, because I get it. Nobody wants to feel like they're ripped off, so I just feel like, you know, it's a it's a good It's better a four hundred dollars lesson than a four thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars lesson, sister friend.
Speaker 1: You know, so we're learning.
Speaker 2: It's it's as that's cool. Another pro tip is, don't spray weed killer on your if you have like a walkway or something, you know, because weeds pop out of the cracks of like the bricks or whatever. Husby got super excited about this, like industrial strength weed killer, which he which worked killed the weeds in the sidewalk, but then the next day it rained and it washed the toxic weed killer into the grass, and now like half our yard is brown. Like okay, I just know everyone passes by our house and they're like, oh, there's the newbies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we're learning.
Speaker 2: There goes those kids.
Speaker 1: You know, we've got we've got to shout out the social streets real quick.
Speaker 2: I mean, give us a chance. We were getting there.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was, you know, I was like, what did we do it? Do we do it earlier on or do we want to do it after we chit chat?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I mean we're the boss. Yeah, Well, now you brought it up, so it would be awkward if we didn't do it now because now they're like, ooh, talk about me, talk about me. There was a lot of fun stuff I posted this weekend. We had. Well, there was the news last week of the upset in the Bronx and Queens where a twenty eight year old candidate for Congress was beat the incumbent Democrat who had been in office for a couple of decades. She's twenty eight years old. Her name is Alexandria Cossio Cortes, and she's of Puerto Rican descent. Dope she that that news came out. Then over the weekend there were all those protests, the Families Belonged Together protests to support immigrants at the border whose family whose children were taken away from them. Something like two thousand kids were taken and I think several hundred kids still haven't been reunited with their family. So those protests happened. I missed the boat on that. I was like, man, I blame Gmail because they sent my aclu email alert to like my promotions tab, which no one checks that tab. But I like woke up on Sunday and I was like, everybody is at this freaking protest anyway. And then I posted about Maxine Waters Mama Maxine, who is quickly becoming like she's always been a living legend. But it's just I love that she's having her She's like a social media me icon now. But apparently she's been getting really serious death threats and she had to cancel a rally. And this was in response to her speaking out against what's happening at the border right now. And her response to the death threats was pretty bad, badass.
Speaker 1: Why she said, if you won't shoot shoot straight.
Speaker 2: Straight, So where's a T shirt coming out? Is what I need to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you already know, like between between we'reclaiming my time and it shoot straight that those are epic T shirts.
Speaker 2: I love our I love the responses to that. I'm going to read all of them. First of all, y'all need to have some easier Instagram names. First of all, if these kings Ka Tuk says that she's a mighty force, Lady Lady seven oh one said the Blood of Jesus for hand, prayer, hand prayer and prayer hand he fottoed Ju said, Wow, this gave me chills. Racer Back twenty nine called her a force to be reckoned with, and Liz Liz F. Dickinson sums it up nicely with inspiration lit Heart.
Speaker 1: Oh and if you if you're not following us on Insta, you need to be. Our Instagram is Brown Ambition Podcast and I'm just gonna do one shout out on Twitter to Ksey with all the Eyes and her Twitter name is Casey two Eyes dough o k C Doe Okay girl d o E. She said, super grateful for the for the b A podcast and all I've learned from them. Hashtag we love sisters who help other sisters star star star Yes, Ksey c E. No, honestly, yes, I loved. We love that we help you and we love that you listen. And if you're wanting to tag, just for us to shout you out on Twitter or on Instagram or either on Facebook. Our name on Twitter is at the b A Podcast. That's at the BA Podcast and again on Instagram briand Ambition Podcast. Oh so are you ready to boost their break?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a booze this week.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to do a light break, just.
Speaker 2: A light like a like a spring. Yeah, it's more like a Sprain like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like serious, like nothing, you know, no politics or nothing, just a little just a little break.
Speaker 2: Okay, go for it.
Speaker 1: So my break is this sporadic behind weather. I mean, oh god, I woke up this morning to go to the gym. It was legit like five forty five six am outside and it felt like one pm. I'm like, why, man, I mother nature? And it's like literally, not even a week ago, it was freezing at night and now it's like unbearably hot. It's just I mean, I know we all wish for summer when winter comes in, the snow is here, but I'm just looking for a reasonable summer. Why does it have to feel like New Orleans out here? It's just this heat? And then we had a flash flooding today. I was like, so, what is really happening? What's really happening? I know that it's what is it? Uh No? What do they say that they that the Republicans say, don't doesn't this clout?
Speaker 2: Global warming?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Global warming? Shame?
Speaker 2: What's that thing that like science says it's real, but like conservatives say it's not real?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, global warming?
Speaker 2: She said on a melting iceberg.
Speaker 1: I know, so yeah, I'm kind of over it, so that's just my my light break is just this unbearable heat that we're going through. I'm hoping that this flash flooding that we had today will help to alleviate some of this heat.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do a boost today really quick for my moviegoers out there. I signed up for a movie past like five or six years ago when it first launched. Have you heard a movie pass?
Speaker 1: I feel like I have.
Speaker 2: For anyone who watches more than one or two movies a month, you should know about movie Past. Movie pass is a subscription service where you pay nine ninety five a month. Now this is what it is now, nine ninety five a month, and you can go and see one movie a day at most theaters, like they have most of the major theaters in the country. But you can go to moviepass dot com and like put in your zip code and see if there's theaters near you and see if it's worth it. What's funny is that I signed up in twenty thirteen, way way way back when, because I was a personal finance reporter, a business insider, and they were this new company and I wrote a story about them, and I was like, cool, I'll try that. Back then it was thirty five dollars a month, like what, which at the time, I mean, it still is a good deal because like tickets in New York. I know in other places it's not that bad, but like movie tickets in New York are canna be fifteen to seventeen dollars for a regular ass movie, not even like three D. No snacks included, no reclining chairs, like a bare minimum. So you know, if I was and I love seeing movies, so for me, even at thirty five dollars, it was worth it because I would go to see like a movie a week. But now it's it's definitely worth it if you're looking to sign up, and other companies are taking notice. I just read that AMC, the theater chain, is starting their own version of this, like a subscription service. I think it's nineteen ninety five a month. But for anyone is looking to beat the heat and go watch a movie this summer, I recommend Movie Past. And I'm saying that with a touch of saltiness because I decided to take a break from my membership because we were moving and I wasn't going I wasn't using it like I like, I usually did, only to find out if you cancel it you have to wait a year before you can get back on it.
Speaker 1: So wow, that's how they get you.
Speaker 2: Read the fine print.
Speaker 1: That's smart marketing. Yeah, I mean, I don't know how much fan marketing, but it's certainly smart marketing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was in the fine print. But I was just I was just trying to dip in, dip out, I understand. I mean nine ninety five. It's kind of like the cost of you know, I don't know Spotify or Hulu or whatever, So it's not that much. It's not like expensive gym membership that if you don't use it a month, like if you go and see at least two three movies a month, I think.
Speaker 1: No, even Dan, that's it's totally worth it. Speaking of movies, when what's the last one you've seen?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I see a lot of movies. I think the last what I saw was I haven't seen Oceans eight yet because I'm waiting to go with a girlfriend and we just haven't been able to do it. But I saw the new Star Wars movie with Khalisi okay from Game of Thrones is I I just love Khalisi. I saw we had Donald Glover in it.
Speaker 1: Incredible tude. I know, I like Donald Glove with two. That actually was Incredibles two was good because I loved The Incredibles one. So it was just really like I loved it because it was very woman powerish. So I'm just like, this is good. I like it. Plus, it's just a good you know, that's just a it's a great, a great uh franchise, The Incredibles.
Speaker 2: So I haven't seen that one. I love Cocoa. Wait is that Disney? What's the Incredibles?
Speaker 1: I think I want to say Disney Pixar. Yeah, I feel like it's Pixar, but you know, don't don't quote me on that. But definitely I'm supergirl because you know, she's thirty five. She was like, hey, I really want to see Oceans eight. I'm like, are you like? I was like, is that PG? Thirteen? She looked at me like what are you asking? I'm like, you know what, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so did you see it with her?
Speaker 1: No? I'm like, she's not going to see Oh shit, I mean I'm.
Speaker 2: Presant be incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh incredible? Oh yeah, no, no, she her mom took her to see The Incredibles, which is more your speed, young lady. Meanwhile, with a doll baby in her hand. Do you remember that age when you were like one foot where you still kind of had doll babies, but then the other foot where you were like, Yeah, it's a weird age because sometimes you'll catch her she'll be playing with her doll and I'm like, but I thought you were thirty five. And then the other age, you know, I'm like, oh, yeah, there goes to thirty five year old woman. Tell me. So it's just a it's a weird spot. She's eleven, she'll be twelve in October. So it's like this, like I remember that age where we were like wait, I still like like, you know, I'm still a kid. Wait, but I want to be an adult, but I'm still a kid. So it's a cute but frustrated age. And plus she's tall, almost as tall as I am now because her father's so tall. So it's like it's weird because now, like when we send things to the laundry sometimes, like you know, they'll put like you know, maybe like her tank top with my things, you know, oh I know, And I'm like, oh, put.
Speaker 2: Her in a little time machine times.
Speaker 1: She was so little when I first started dating her father, I'm like, she's so tall now, Like she gets like braids and she looks like a little lady and I'm like, oh my gosh, she looks so pretty. Nats stop growing. But yeah, so mm hmm the life of parenting, well, at least for me, part time parenting. But yeah, now even better news My favorite segment question.
Speaker 2: Okay, questions this week? You guys, you know you can reach us at Brown Ambition podcast dot com to send answer questions or you gonna h this up at Brown Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com, got com. This week, we'll take a couple of questions. We have a question that's been sitting here for a minute, sorry about it. From listener D. She says a friend of mine is buying a house for the first time. However, she's taking out I love how she's telling on her friend, by the way, so funny. Unless it's not really a friend, we'll see anyway. She says, a friend of mine is buying a house for the first time. However, she's taking twelve thousand dollars out of her IRA for all of the associated costs, a down payment, the closing costs, the appraisal. The seller is not willing to pay her closing costs. I think this is a really bad move, but she's hell bent on moving out of her apartment. I even suggested walking away and maybe asking the seller to pay some of the closing cost What do you think is this a major mistake? Maybe some people may not know that you can in some cases borrow money from your four to one K, which I think is what she's talking about, your four to one K for for housing costs. It's an option. You can take out a loan, or you can can do a distribution. Those are different things.
Speaker 1: Yes, because distribution means that they're going to be taxing that money within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: Yes, So when you take an early distribution, if you're under the age of fifty nine and a half, they can treat it as if it's ordinary income, which means they will tax you on it, and then you can also get hit with early withdrawal penalties. But again, like if anytime you're dipping into your retirement, you're missing out on, you know, future gains that you could potentially, yes, take advantage of. So it's never ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like the thing I feel like, I feel where you're coming from, man, because I feel like, well, it's not the worst thing she could be doing. It's not like she said that she was taking money out of her for one K to like, you know, go shopping or something, or to buy buy a car or buy a brand new car. Then I'd be like, oh, yeah, but it's not the worst thing because at home is still an investment in this country. It is. But here's the thing I think of, Like, has she has she explored and exhausted other options. Has she gone to like her her city hall and said, hey, are there are there like matching options because sometimes like they're like for example, like I think I share with you guys. M ANDT Bank has like a matching program for first time home buyers. Has she looked into NAKA so because there are other programs that she might qualify for that I could actually could pay for that so she could keep her money where it is. And sometimes these programs are like grant programs or you don't have to pay it back. So I'm not I'm not I'm not one hundred percent opposed to taking money out, although it's it should be the very very very last choice. If you ask me if you're going to go that route, that means you exhausted all the other options that you have out there, which it sounds like that she might not have.
Speaker 2: What we're saying here is a four oh one K loan. This is different from just taking money out of your four one K, like it's a piggy bank. If you're borrowing from your four oh one K, that means you're actually going to repay yourself quote quote back to your four to one K, So you can borrow up to fifty thousand dollars or half the value of your account, whichever is less, so long as you're using the money to pay for a home purchase, and there's a nominal interest rate that you know you'll be charged, but again it's sort of paying it to yourself. You do have to repay the loan. But the thing is it's a four toh one K, which means this is typically it's always actually tied to an employer, and if you were to lose your job, get fired, or get laid off or something like that, that loan could become due within the next year. So it's like the entire balance of it. So that's the risk if something happens with your employer and you don't have enough money to pay off the loan in total by the time that they tell you had to pay it off, then you could get hit with regular taxes and that early withdrawal penalty like we talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because believe me, I think I took out. Oh I can't remember how much I took out, like a maybe when I lost my job as a teacher and I took out the money from my for like I drained it and I it was like maybe I had fifty thousand dollars in there or something to that effect, and I think maybe I got thirty something. So it was a lot of money that I lost. So like that that the penalty and fees, and it's not a small thing. It's a significant amount. I remember feeling like it was like basically half of what I had. So like I remember that was like I the school I worked for didn't match for the like, so all of that money was my money that I literally like lost. So yeah, it just wasn't a gooddy hit. So yeah, I mean, I mean, ultimately your friend is grown, so she's gonna make what of her choices that she's going to make, but definitely encourage her that, at the very least go to her town and ask if there are programs that she might qualify for.
Speaker 2: Also, you need to You don't know all the business of your friend, obviously, but twelve thousand dollars, if that's all of her four a one k or a big share of it, then that's a concern because she's kind of like wiping out her progress. But if she's got a really healthy four one k fun then you know, it all kind of depends on the context. But it's nice to sweet of you to worry about your friend. I don't think that this is any It's not the worst decisions she could ever make that would ruin her life forever. But yeah, as long as she's weighing all the pros and cons and is doing it for the right reasons, then it can be a better option than you know, taking out an expensive loan which you can't even do for a down payment, or borrowing money from family and friends, which can be awkward. So so yeah, thanks, miss d We have a nosy question from a listener.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, Between d Be and nosy, but I have friend and it's the nosy episodes.
Speaker 2: This will again a little personal. So this is from anonymous too, couldn't even couldn't even give us her real name, but wants to get something for us, but nothing in return. Anyway, anonymous listener, she says, how and when did you guys meet your husband's I'm a forty eight year old woman living in Boston, and I sometimes wonder when when am I ever going to meet my future husband. Please give me any advice and ideas that you can as to how and where you meet good quality men.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is like such a departure for what we normally get.
Speaker 2: I like this question, a little lifestyle question. I actually, I actually just read that July eighth is supposed to be the day when, like online dating site see the biggest jump in activity more than Valentine's Day, trying to get that summer boo Oh, that's hilarious, trying to get someone who has air conditioning.
Speaker 1: Trying to lay up in the in the ac. Okay, so I'll go first. I actually when I met Superman, he was just like a guy that worked in the building, Like I thought, you know, I guess I thought he was handsome, but I honestly, at the time I had a boyfriend who I thought I was going to get married to, and Superman was maintenance man. Honestly, in this both of us worked in the bottom of the well. He worked the whole building, but my daycare center where I worked at the bottom of this project building and the worst section of New York. It was not pleasant. The kids were awesome, though, and so like I loved working there because the kids were amazing and Superman was one of the maintenance guys. So you know, like I said, I vaguely remember thinking like, oh, yeah, he's hands down, But at the time, I was like all loved up with my then boyfriend, who, like I said, I thought it was gonna marry and then, and I think Superman was in a relationship then. I don't know, but like him, like all the other kind of like guys in the building, they would come by and fix things in the in the center if it needed to be fixed. One thing I do remember about him was that I remember thinking he reminded me of you remember coming to America, Prince Hakeen. The way he was mopping the floor in like in mcgowel's.
Speaker 2: Was it was that Eddie Murphy's Oh no, yeah, ye yeah, yeah, yeah yeah Eddie Murphy the other.
Speaker 1: Guy, right, no, no, it was Eddie Murphy. It was like, uh so, like so Prince Taki right. So that that's the one distinct thing I remember is that I remember that the difference between watching him work and like the other guy's work. I remember just being struck by he even if no one was watching or he couldn't visibly see somebody watching, he took just so much pride in his work and that just struck me for some reason. And then like Facebook played match maker, like I don't know, we must have been at our twenties whatever. But then when I was thirty, I broke it up, like with my with my guy, I thought I was gonna marry and I was all like, oh my life. And I told myself I was gonna get back out there because we had been broken up for a year or two. And Facebook said, hey, you know people that you might know and he popped up and I was like ooh. I remember I remember thinking like, oh, this guy is cute, and I was like, wait, is that that guy from the he's a daycare Center and I was like, oh it is. I was like, ooh, so he's not a stranger. So I friended him and then it turned out it was like his birthday. His birthday was the day before, and I was like, oh, happy birthday. I owe you some ice cream. I was trying to be cute, but I was like, hey, I never asked the guy out, and him being fast behind that, he was was like, okay, I'm free tomorrow. I was like, and we ended up going out for ice cream, and I remember being like, Wow, he's really nice. He's a throwback Superman. He's like even though he was like born and raised and like the projects of New York.
Speaker 2: Say that again, because something happened.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I said that. You know, Superman is real throwback, like even though he was born and raised on like the projects of Newark, like he there's just something about him. And so one thing I had to get over because I have my master's and he didn't go to college. And my parents, of course were thrilled that their Nigerian daughter was dating a non Nigerian and then someone who didn't have a college degree. But what I really love about Superman is that he is like one of the kindest people that I know, Like everybody in the neighborhood knows him. Like I like, literally, we were driving home the other night and I saw that a car was pulled over in the side of the road and there's a woman standing out there, and I knew already it was already late, and I thought to myself, I said, oh, we're gonna pull over, because I could just see him looking like, oh my gosh, someone's their car has stopped. And then he saw that there was like two guys with her, so he kept going and he saw that they were helping her with her with her car. But that's him, Like I could be sitting watching TV and he'll bust to the door. He's like, vibes, we have apple sauce. I'm like what, And then there's a troop of kids behind him, and so I it took me. I'm not gonna lie, it took me a minute to let go of the fact that he wasn't traditionally what I thought that I would end up with, you know, because although he's super sweet, he's also hood just from like you know, and so it but I dated like a number of guys and one of the reasons why the guy who I thought I was gonna marry we didn't work out is because I at the time, I knew I wanted something more, and I was working on trying. I knew something in me said, I want to do more than just teach at the stay Care center. There's something else. But he loved the fact that I was a teacher and just came home and like looked after him. And I didn't want that kind of life. And what I love about Superman is that he always encourages me to do more, Like his only question is how can I help? And so I had to let all of the fact that, like, yes, maybe traditionally we don't match up, but when it comes to emotionally, he's my perfect match, you know, And so I don't know. I always tell women that, you know, whoever your match might be, might not, you know, might not on the outside, I mean Superman, I mean he's really handsome, but you know, I wasn't counting on that. I'm like, oh yes, but like other than that, like you know, everything else doesn't match up. The way we grew up doesn't match up, our backgrounds don't match up, But it's just the perfect match. So that's my love story with Superman.
Speaker 2: It's a good story. I felt I was getting tucked in. Tell me again about to take care and the maintenance man. No, I've only met him a few times, but he's very very nice, you can tell. And I met some of us hood friends too. Just say they are as described. Yes, I was like, we all know I'm Tiffany's Fringy'll better show up, all right anyway? So for yeah, I feel for her question. She's in her late forties. I think it's hard. I mean, I think obviously with the older you get, I think the perception is that it's going to be really hard to find people and find someone to date. But listen, I've seen my mom get married twice and she's in her fifties now. If my mom can do it, anybody can. And she's never really given up on love, and she's she finally found the one for her. And she's she's almost sixty now, so she just got read married last year. She actually married her high school sweetheart and her previous husband she had met on I think match dot com, okay and taking a page out of my mom's book, I met my husband on Okay Cupid way back in twenty of twelve when okay cubid was like the hot stuff, and now I feel old because no one uses it as people use it. But it's like there's Tinder and there's Bumble, and there's all these new apps that are out there. Now I'm all about online dating. I know so many couples who have met each other on Tinder, on okay Cupid. I've been to several online dating success weddings, and I think especially if you're and you're in a big city like bostonick I, you know, I feel that way about New York. It's hard to meet people, you know, in these big cities where everyone seems like they're in their own world and it's hard to like have a you know, strike up a conversation. But I'm I'm all about online dating. If you haven't tried it, I say, give it a try. I also feel like classic advice do what you love doing, like be out there in the world doing what you do love doing, and hopefully you'll meet someone who's kind of crossing your path. And then I wish when when Tiffany I was like noding my head when you were talking about how like what you the expectation that you have. Sometimes it can hurt, I think when you're looking for a partner, because I have I definitely have a girlfriend or two or not just girlfriends. But people I've seen who are very like like, they're expectations are so outrageous that I mean, I hate to be a guy dating this person because they're kind of coming in as a loser already because they can't sort of meet the high expectations. So yeah, I always looked at like my husband as a good investment, like maybe there's some things that can be improved, this is going to get me in trouble, but like I always saw the solid return on investment potential with them. With my husband, like, he a same thing, very very like all the all the basics of what you want, like good human being professionally successful, you know, ambitious, but not so ambitious that we were going to be at odds with one another because with our careers, very fambul oriented and he had a lot of good friends. That was my that was my checklist, checked all those boxes, Like just if you just become just get basic about what you're looking for, yes, because that's all you need at the end of the day. Just someone who's nice to you and reliable. Yeah, And and.
Speaker 1: I wanted somebody who wanted was going to make the effort like in the beginning, like like most women, you know, I had all these checklists, like you said, Nanny, I'm like and this and this and this and this. And I realized no one was going to live up to that. And someone asked me, girl, are you even that? And I was like, oh wait, that was a read. And so I then a girlfriend really asked me, She's like, what are the core things? Like really core things? And honestly, when I looked at the core things, like college degree for me wasn't on there because I had gone through and dated like all of these guys who were like successful and whatever. And so when I realized what was missing from those relationships, when I really wanted somebody won who was intrinsically kind. I remember that was so big to me because I had dated guys who when we were together, they were amazing, so sweet, and then we went when we started to break up whatever, it was like, who is this guy? He's terrible, you know, And I thought, Wow, I want someone who is not just kind because they're with me or they love me. But that's like kindness is their default. That that was critical to me. And that's what I see in Superman is that, like his default is kindness. So like even when like you know, we have Supermom who's super Supergirls, my my bonus daughter, her mother. So even if they don't get along for whatever read I mean, honestly, they've got a really great relationship, but let's just say, you know, they have a difference about like who's going to pay for back to school clothes or whatever, you know, but then his his default is always kindness. So seeing that, I was like, wow, I knew I wanted that. And also too, I wanted somebody who's going to make the effort because I found, like you know, dating, sometimes guys were so lazy. I'm like, well, dang, can you do something? And so like Superman really makes the effort to make me feel special. Like if I come home, like when I come back from Essence Pest, I already know what's going to happen. One, the house is going to be immaculate, because he always feels like if I come home from like a work trip, I should come home to not have to having to do work. Two there's going to be food. Three, the AC will be on in the room, and like my nightgown will be like laid on the bed because he knows as soon as I come home from a flight, I alway I don't care if I slept on the flight. I always want to sleep. Like that's such sweet effort.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He's always like, I'm sorry I don't buy you stuff. I'm like, I don't care about that stuff, like I love that, you know. And so once I got clear on like the core core things that I needed, you know, because I remember my dad was like, yeah, but I always wanted you to marry somebody who was gonna, like, you know, be able to take care of you financially. And honestly, the truth of the matter is, I mean it's not like Superman is not broke. We actually live off his income. We just save and invest. Mind, you know, it's just like does he make more than me? No? But I was sad to tell my dad the truth is, like the point where I am now is my businesses. I mean, even if I was dating a doctor or a lawyer, they're not gonna they're not making more than me. So like what are we like? Am I who am I dating Like it's you know, so I'm not dating for that. So but honestly, now my parents love him and it's funny to hear them say his name with his with their Nigerian action. How's y'all hauts done. I'm like, like, he's fine, and my sisters have always loved him, like he's just always been like they know they need to move something or something is broken or whatever, cause superman come buy and help. I'm like, look, y'all, he is not your your personal handyman. Maybe I'll come by and help. But yeah, so just like just be open and don't let your family tell you, because I mean, if it was up to my family, I would have been by myself. My dad finally came around and realized, like, my rules are going to keep tiffany single forever. I was like, well, not me, Like I was gonna choose regardless. You were going to have to come along, and I knew if I spit out a baby, he was going to be like, yes, I'm coming back around. But luckily he didn't have to wait till that. But don't let your family choose for you. Don't let them shame you into picking a choice. That they think is right for you. Pick your own choice based upon your core core values, you know, not based upon what you think society is going to say or think.
Speaker 2: Amen, Sista. And also being in your forties, just to talk about earning and like for I mean, at this point, you probably have a career, don't You're not looking for someone to support you, which even like takes off a layer of like it might even make things easier because there's not like this burden that you're putting on your partner to like need to have a you know, need to be supporting you or whatever, and you can find someone hopefully who's as established in their career. So you're just like, I don't know, being in your I'm looking forward to being in my forties honestly because I feel like it'll just be a time when things are kind of like they've you've gone through your thirties and like all the you know, all the rat race and like trying to get established. And I'm hoping by the time in my forties and fifties and just like in a good, like secure place and hopefully you find a partner who's like in a secure place emotionally and career wise, and then can just be even more devoted to you and your relationship.
Speaker 1: And I'll let you know. I'm only two years away, so I'll let you know how it is when I get there.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, you let me know. That's part of my plan. I'm gonna let you get there first and then tell me how, tell me how the weather is up there, or if I should just stay here at thirty right.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, as a matter of fact, if you are in your forties, tweet us. Let us know, igs, let us know how it is. And like, you know, was there a big shift when you turn forty? Like you know, a girl can't I might tell me nothing like or was it like like thirties? Plus I'd love to know for some of our listeners that are already already on the other side.
Speaker 2: Or if you're dating in your forties, dating at all, Like where do you guys meet men? Are you rolling your eyes at me? Because I said online dating it works. I've seen it work. Sometimes you gotta like sometimes you just gotta, you know, put the universe just give it a little help, you know exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like hello from the other side.
Speaker 2: All right, Anonymous, Well, thank you for sending your question again. You guys, hit us up at Branhambisson podcast dot com and click ask us anything to send us a question of your own. You can remain anonymous, just let me know in the in the email, or I will say your name out loud.
Speaker 1: Yes, please me that I wanted. I can see you as a mom. You're like, they're like, heang, Mom, that was dark. You're like, ooh, sorry, that was yeah.
Speaker 2: I really you know, that's why Drikue is a nice one.
Speaker 1: You the stuff that my dad used to say. I'm like, I'm pretty sure that's not the translation. You were looking forward to English, Like maybe if my dad was gonna say something like you know you girl, like you know, behave yourself, Tiffany, you don't want to get a spanking. But when it translated from like I guess ebo to English, I'm like, uh, did you try to kill me? My mother would be like, like calling him by his nickname, she has said that's not how you say it, and she's like he just means fake. I'm like, either way, I'm out of here. Bla yes, lost in translation.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have a happy Fourth of July. Half on at Essence Fest.
Speaker 1: I will I can't wait. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: Tell all our fans.
Speaker 1: I said, Hi, Yes, he's like no, yes, please come and like you know what, we'll take pictures so we can send them to Mandy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'll post him on the gram.
Speaker 1: Yes. Oh that'll be fun. Yes, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I'll be around. Stay say you see some fireworks. Stay warm, I mean stay cool ship, don't stay warm, my god.
Speaker 1: It's too late, too late.
Speaker 2: Just to crank up the AC and go to sleep.
Speaker 1: All right, mandra until next week.
Speaker 2: Stay Brown nailed it.
Speaker 1: Bye?
Speaker 2: Did you do this for a living? You're good at it