Speaker 1: Every day a week ago.
Speaker 2: Click up the Breakfast Club finish for y'all done morning.
Speaker 1: Everybody's Steve j n V Jess hilarious, Charlamagne the guy we are the breakfast Club. Law La Rosa is here as well. We got a special guest in the building and on our breakfast Club am Twitch chat as well. Ladies and gentlemen, we got Marco plus welcome.
Speaker 3: Yo, this is crazy. How are y'all doing? I'm kind of nervous. I can't cat.
Speaker 2: Why is this crazy? Marco? Why are you nervous? What?
Speaker 3: This is my childhood? Like they're serious. I was watching my boy Ruben up here with knife yeah, and Night said something about how this is like one of the last places where you can come get some credibility for real, Like everything gone. I ain't gonna lie, I ain't. I honestly didn't think I was gonna make it up here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you've been gone by the time you popped up, but it took away to be to you Award.
Speaker 3: I was like, what that's crazy, like you never know what's gone?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sir? How old you twenty seven? And the turned twenty eight in a couple of days.
Speaker 4: Yes, we've been on half of your life, yes, sir. Yeah, when you first get tapped in, you think.
Speaker 3: I I'm young, but I got old. Sol I've seen the ray j fab joint.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow, you see this was he wasn't because he would have been now you'd have been.
Speaker 3: Your mom would have about fifteen. I got kept back right in like the eighth grade, so you see. Yeah, damn Sean, I was bad yea, yeah see I got cammability, like I ended up in the class. So uh when I when I started doing homeschool the next year, I ain't do that work either.
Speaker 1: Just watch this breakfast club raige was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's well, thank you, Marchael. We appreciate you skipping school to watch us.
Speaker 1: So you are, of course, you're a rapper from Atlanta, yes, sir, originally born in Florida, Yes, sir, and tell us how what got you into to rap? Because you're unlike I would say a lot of the rappers. Now, you got a different way of doing it. So what got you into what you do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's kind of like embedded, you know what I mean. My whole family is kind of musical. My granddad, I think it starts with him. He owned a label in Pensacola from like the eighties to the nineties. I think it was like TSIM or something. It wasn't really very big and like some some some flaw stuff happened with like co owners and stuff like that. But like, yeah, like just the whole family, especially the immediate family, Like we're all kind of talented. I think I'm just the one that actually had the chance to get out there and do something with it. To be honest, I've been wrapping my whole life brou my. I remember I remember being like a Hot Boys fan as a child, Like I have a very I have a very strong memory. It goes far back. I could say, like two thousand. I was trying to like look like Layne.
Speaker 2: And b G.
Speaker 5: I can see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what we inspiration? So they weed inspirations, Yeah them tip uh geezy. As I got older, it was probably like I like, I like Prodigy from my deeper lot. We got the same birthday and.
Speaker 2: You name it awesome, you name it some heavy hitters. I like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Man.
Speaker 1: The crazy thing about Prodigy, I think people are starting to find a new respect for him. In the last couple of years, Yeah, long Live Pe.
Speaker 3: He was talking a lot of a lot of real stuff, A lot of real stuff. That's one of my favors ever. I think Infamous is one of the best albums ever.
Speaker 4: Definitely is a lot of your music touches on like pain, reflection. You know, you tap into, you know, mental health a lot when you write. Are you you venting or are you think healing or just documenting?
Speaker 3: You know, it's so crazy. I just started realizing that's how I I kind of heal from things. My girlfriend told me I don't talk, so like I realized I do most of my talking and my music I do most of it.
Speaker 1: It seems like you don't like too many people either.
Speaker 3: I hate people tell.
Speaker 1: Not not for listen to your music.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's just like, I don't know, man, I kind of have a I have a super sense of what's the word, cognizance. I can keep in people's cap I know when somebody it's kind of being weird, and everybody be weird. So it's like sometimes I'd rather just stay away.
Speaker 2: Do you approach people with an open mind? Though?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, you got to. You gotta give everybody grace in every situation. But At the same time, I don't give people too many times to to show me like after like when I first heard the whole fool me once, shame on you, I felt like it shouldn't be no fool me twice. It's a shame on me if you fool me once.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I feel like that, especially in the work environment. Boy, were still getting fooled up here by people.
Speaker 5: So is that how you grew up there? Like did you grow up introverted? Or are you just not a people's person at all? Did anything happen I had?
Speaker 3: I got a lot of family. I got a lot of family. So honestly, I don't be feeling like I need friends because it's like I just called my cousins, call my brothers. I wouldn't say I was necessarily introverted up until a certain point, up until like my whole life became trying to write at sixteen every day. Yeah, I got kind of like shut in for.
Speaker 2: The for the chat.
Speaker 1: That's what everybody know. This is Marvel plus we're talking to if you just joined us, yes, sir, rapping all this from Atlanta.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask how you went from so your background in music not really liking people, but finding you way in the industry where you gotta deal with people, and then you get co signed and you're now distributing your music through rock Nation. That's yeah, you know how shout out to the gang. So what was your how did you meet people from rock Nation and how did that all come about?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I was leaving another situation and I honestly didn't know where I was going, but I just knew that they were showing interest like some I think it was one of my friends who had signed there. I think he still signed there. He like, he just told me, like, yo, these people talk talk about you up here all the time, and I was like, I need something to do the other do and they was. That was real quick with it as well. It was like one month we were just talking and in the next month I was signed. Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But it's just distribution. So you still got to handle everything yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. And I love it that way though. I like it that way. I like to be able to control my time frame and all of that stuff, just be able to like I could put out a song that I made two weeks ago. A lot of people can't do that. Yeah, that's a blessing right there.
Speaker 1: But it's costly though, because you got to pay for everything. Correct, they they help out. Yeah, okay, so it's more than distribution. Okay, you know what I'm saying that crazy?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I know, Jim shout you out a lot of chance to why'd you tap into those guys?
Speaker 2: Uh Ji?
Speaker 3: It's funny. Uh. It was like twenty twenty one, right he somebody posted something on Instagram and he was like rapping an unreleased song from his album Forever Story, if I'm not mistaking. The song was crack Sandwich and he ripped it. But I'm a rapper, so I commented, like, Yo, this is hard, but wait till I dropped. And he's seen that, and he just remembered. He just remembered it and waited till I dropped. Yeah, and then he posted the song he posted lately if I'm not mistaken, And honestly, that's kind of where my career fully started.
Speaker 2: If I wow. So he posted it. Did he say it was hard too?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, he hit me up.
Speaker 3: We really talked down there every week two weeks at this point. Real cool, dude.
Speaker 4: The reason I respect that is because a lot of artists on to come up wouldn't embrace another artist on the come up.
Speaker 2: People be feeling threatened, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing for sure.
Speaker 2: He didn't feel like that with you at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Nah, I think it's more so a kindred spirit type thing because it's like just being from the A. We kind of like the underdog, just off rip. No matter how hard we is, we're just the underdog because it's like everybody not gonna listen to us. Everybody's not gonna want to listen to us. So I really think it's one of those things where it's like he just he seeing me wanting to make something more of not just myself but of our scene, and he was like, all right, I gotta I gotta put on for that.
Speaker 4: You and Jen represent like a lane of the A, and I'm glad it is kind of making a resurgence. You know, I grew up off the Dungeon family. Yeah, goodie mon outcast and that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They don't get me wrong, it's crude off that tree for sure, Like the Killer Mike's you know, lyricists like t I, but like y'all are really in that space of like, man, this is the Atlanta that I grew up on.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I wonder what that's about though, you know what I'm saying, I wonder why we like because I really don't have no idea of why I like. I was attracted to the style that I do. Like I'm from, I'm from like Atlanta, Atlanta. All I really know is defo l You know what I'm saying. I know is young droer. All I know I get busy lyricists. Come on, man, I'm so happy you said that.
Speaker 4: But and I guess you know, it's just different ways to do socially conscious music. Yeah, I mean, y'all does socially conscious show. You know, Mike definitely does socially conscious music. It's just different ways to do.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: So the name of your album is Marco Plus Versus the Underworld.
Speaker 3: Marco plus versus the Underworld.
Speaker 5: So break that down. What what is you versus the Underworld?
Speaker 3: The Underworld is? Honestly, well, number one is dealing with.
Speaker 2: Your shadow side.
Speaker 3: Yeah see that's yeah. That it's me coming from where I come from and just the pitfalls of being from the area where I'm from. It's about the underworld is the industry. The under world is my emotions. The underworld is infidelity, trust issues, all of that. I feel like I chose the word the underworld because all of that shit could feel like or excuse my language, it can feel like hell, you know what I mean. So that's kind of where I was coming with, you know what I'm saying. And of course Scott Pilgrim versus the World that was a fire movie. Yeah, so was the depression, trauma, just all of it, like a culmination of all of it. You know, sometimes you don't know where your depression come from until you actually dig deep by y'all, just be sad like so like just just having to realize that nobody gonna do it for me. Ain't nobody really gonna outside of you know, your family, and nobody gonna love you for real like you and this by yourself. And that's I feel like it's just a journey. It's like the project is a journey for me come from. I'm sorry a few things I ain't gonna lie. I was depressed as hell when I was a kid for some reason, like and I ain't like granted, I probably didn't even know what I meant. But it was one day at school, I forgot what we was doing in gym. I couldn't do it. Push up it was right it it was something crazy, I don't know, but I told them folks I wanted to kill myself. Them folks called my mama so fast, and they thought my mama was was like abusing me or something.
Speaker 4: Oh, did you really feel that way or you just was upset about what happened in gym?
Speaker 2: Bruh.
Speaker 3: See, that's the thing. I think I was just sad. I think it was just sad sometimes, Like I don't know if I wanted to die, like death, I don't even know if I understood the concept of it. But then like it was like I like later on, I kept having like just little problems in my head, you know, like I don't know if it was coming from like having having us a tad less than everybody, so like you don't got the same type of swag, you don't got the same type of things, or whether it's like me not seeing my pops a lot, like just because like we was in different places at the time. I don't know where it came from. Depression is a sticky it's like a it's a weird thing. It's a very weird thing.
Speaker 1: I always wonder. I always wondering with depression, like what you're dealing with? Is it because you've seen it and people talked about it so much. Right when I was a kid, that wasn't a thought, you know what I mean. It's like you can't push its either you're gonna try, or you're gonna joke your way out of it, or you fail. But nowadays, I feel like that's the that's a reaction that a lot of kids hear and see. So that's that emotion that they go to even like you, even if they don't mean it, but when they say it, it opens up a can of worms because you never know if they're saying it because they really mean it, if there's a problem at home. So I always wonder when when you thought it, like where that came from? Where that feeling came from?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, honestly, I'm not I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: I don't think that I never got to the bottom of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like it's a lot of people who trying to figure out why they don't feel full, And I don't know. I kind of been I've been one of those people. Sometimes I'm still am I don't know. I feel like we all just kind of go through our things and get through them. Sometimes people brain receptors be different.
Speaker 6: To figure it out, I was going to say, you said, do you feel like you're one of those people that still battles with that? When I was listening to it? So I listened to the opening on the project, and it felt like that. It felt like you're talking about so many different things, but it felt like a battle between you have hope and then you lose it, but you're still pushing through. You say they lost hope, they convinced that God don't listen at one point?
Speaker 5: Did you feel like God.
Speaker 6: Wasn't listening to you or this is just what you're seeing and then you're freakant it.
Speaker 3: That's a very loaded question because honestly, I feel like I battle with the idea of faith Sometimes a lot of people probably wouldn't have said that, But like dog all right, who am I to say that the man from wherever he's from is wrong because he read another book when he was like younger, and his family and doctrinated him into this, Like I would feel wrong, and like not only that, what if I spent my whole life believing in something and then I go to hell, like go to another hill, Like you feel what I'm saying. Like, so it's honestly, it's honestly a confusing thing. Like, of course I believe that God is real, I just don't understand. Sometimes that's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 4: I don't think that is confusing for anybody, as long as you just admit we really don't know. We really don't as everybody think they fucking know exactly going on, and they don't like that.
Speaker 2: You read what you read, you believe what you believe, and it is what it is. You really you don't know.
Speaker 5: That's my whole and I just respect your vulnerability because, like you said, a lot of people wouldn't say that. A lot of people are afraid to let out the things in their head.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I gotta cut youry. Family don't play about that. My daddy's side on the church, like it's like, they don't play about that. But the Higher Power gave me this mind for a reason. You know what I'm saying. You know, it's a higher power exactly, and that's all.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Yo, I think about I always think about, like, okay, think about before there was anything called religion, right, and it was just humans here on this planet.
Speaker 2: They just knew that there was a higher power exactly.
Speaker 4: It just wasn't all of these different religions with all these different practices and rituals and you have to be here on this Sunday and you gotta do things like this. No, I don't think that's how any of this should be. In fact, man, a lot of it was was creative for control exactly.
Speaker 3: But that's a whole nother story. That's a whole other story.
Speaker 5: Some Mark plus versus the Underworld is the storytelling. Basically, you're telling stories about your journey, yes, from then to now?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, it's it's really like I'm really I was really trying to paint the picture of a young man coming of age and trying to trying to make a name for himself while dealing with all of these types of issues because a lot of people don't understand, like, yeah, we musicians, but like we got real life, like real life things going on. So it's like, yeah, like this is the main mission, but I gotta I gotta kind of conquer all of these other things and it just becomes a very difficult trip sometimes.
Speaker 5: So when do you have fun? What do you enjoy doing? When do you feel full? Do you have times that you feel full?
Speaker 3: When I went with my kid, Yeah, when I want my daughter, for sure. When I with my girlfriend, I smoke a lot.
Speaker 2: What crazy?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll be cooling. Man, I need to figure out what to do to relax. I don't know how to relax. I feel like my shoulders are tense right now.
Speaker 4: I literally told my wife I went to the dinners, and the dinners on me. You always clenching your teeth. You gotta stop clenching your teeth.
Speaker 3: I just learned I do that in my sleep. Yeah, I learned. We're not supposed to rest our tongue at the top of our mouth.
Speaker 1: Mhmm.
Speaker 3: That's crazy like that that's a sign of life. Even though I can do that, right, You just got a list.
Speaker 5: His tongue too thick. Sometimes press it at the top of.
Speaker 2: The roof of your mouth, though.
Speaker 3: I need to start doing that and get a retainer or something. Yeah, grinding my teeth, man, that.
Speaker 2: Guy, I don't know. I don't know. You're figuring it out. I don't know. How you figure that out?
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 4: Do you have a sense of yourself to fear that like being too vulnerable change out like fans.
Speaker 3: And see, nah, I gotta it scared me because the the ratneyal week as hell and they'll try to like take advantage of you or like play you for a laye, like just because you like you yourself. But I fade any one of y'all. That's just honestly how I feel like. I feel like your your supporters are your supporters for a reason. They're gonna understand and feel you because they like you connect from this certain place, whether it be one part of the music or the other. But yeah, sometimes I'd be like, that's kind of why I be distant from a lot of people too. It's like a vulnerable god be I'd be, I'd be cool. And I'm also like a very like if I say you my partner or people people people who don't respect that all the time.
Speaker 5: So with that being said, right, how does collaborations go? How do you think about that?
Speaker 3: I got my I got my few friends that I like to rap with, of course, but honestly, when it comes to songs, I'm willing to make music with anybody. It just has to be right. This doesn't mean I have to be friends with everyone. But I have no problem making great music because music is that's what it's for. Like we're all supposed to collaborate and make something fresh and new and like something for people to love. And I don't got no problem with none of that, just respect.
Speaker 5: Do you have dream collaborations? Like who would you dream to.
Speaker 3: Collaborate with Kendrick Drake?
Speaker 2: Uh, you still want to do his song with Drake?
Speaker 3: What by that? I'm conn by that be Kendrick first lie, I'm a Kindrick fan. I'm a Drake fan too, though it's just like I was. I was I was a teen, like I had a point of this food gave me take care like a week old, Like it was a week old. I've never heard it. I ain't like the only song like I think headlines is out of course all that stuff. He just gave me the album and that's really That's really when I became a Drake super fan for sure. But I'm like, I think it was like the BT Awards two thousand and eleven, the Hip Hop Awards, That's the first time I ever heard Kenrick Camark. It was like the cipher. That's what made me a fan of Kendrick for real. So that like I was like thirteen fourteen, Yeah, like I can't I can't escape that.
Speaker 2: I can't escape him as a rap fan. Or you loved the back and forth between them.
Speaker 3: Honestly I hated it, really, bro You guys shouldn't make music together. I don't. I don't want you guys to be just that's not what I wanted. Like it was like it was entertaining. It was entertaining in the in the moment, like it got too nasty, they got too Yeah, I ain't gonna lie. Just it was like it was like I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's.
Speaker 5: But you thought it was a good thing when was like, nah, we don't need to be.
Speaker 3: Doing that, not in the moment, because I was in the moment like these niggas fighting, you know what I'm saying. But I ain't gonna lie. That's like, for his piece and for his sanity, that is the realest thing you could do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen it after he's seen him fall, But we've seen it after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Yeah, get out Kendrick way.
Speaker 3: He bought all your.
Speaker 1: Because once it goes that personal, there's no getting back to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, I want to ask you. You know, I was looking through your videos and one of the biggest things a lot of your fans says they feel like YouTube shadow band you.
Speaker 3: Ah yeah, I don't know who does.
Speaker 2: That come from? That true?
Speaker 1: Because I mean, it wasn't just once I see Thatt, Like.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that's about. I've been smoking with my videos. I don't know. I don't know if it's like if it's that.
Speaker 1: So you see it too, You see what when people say I.
Speaker 3: Definitely think I should be one of those two hundred thousand views of video artists for sure, and but I just don't. I don't look at it like that because I just look at like I just came out in twenty twenty one, you know what I mean, Like I have a I have a million years to garner these views. So I just I don't be really tripping, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Do you chase the mainstream? Do you want to be mainstream?
Speaker 3: Or I want to be the biggest rapper ever. I want to be the biggest musician ever. I love that I raped great, but a lot of people don't understand that this ship is just how I have like how I how I release my art, but I can do everything else. Like it's just everybody has their starting point. Everybody has their starting point. Michael Jackson didn't start off with thriller like yeah, like he started off with his brothers and stuff like everybody five, you know, come on, But that's what I'm saying. It's like, it's like Tears of Greatness exactly. And I have no problem taking the route I gotta take to become one of them.
Speaker 4: You're taking the stance. I'm glad you said that. I'm tired of hand these people lie talking about. Don't care about sales.
Speaker 2: I don't care about the biggest.
Speaker 3: You want to be the biggest, Hey, I want to be the biggest ever. Like and that's a that's a that's a tall ask, but I don't care.
Speaker 4: But if you but if you set your bar that high, you'll hit a high point.
Speaker 2: You'll get somewhere exact.
Speaker 4: I mean, you may not nobody gonna be Michael Jackson, nobody gonna be, but you'll get you'll get up except probably.
Speaker 3: Young boy, is what I learned in the past month.
Speaker 4: NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, numbers wise, No.
Speaker 3: The way them people will have a seizure when they see him impact. Yeah, numbers wise, hell no, Michael Jackson sold what what what is throw million? Come on, dog, that's that's that's over ten times domon.
Speaker 5: When you see the impact.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Ahead No, I was gonna say, that's interesting. I think I think what helped Young Boy is the fact he was on house arrest all those years. Yeah, and you know it was it was a air of mysteriousness about him. You know, I think that that that's lost in this era. People are too accessible.
Speaker 3: To It's kind of like the Kendrick thing when you think about Yeah, but their fans don't realize that they're kind of the same type of artists, like in terms of how they treat the public, how they treat their public life. It's just young but kind of erratic. So it's like you're gonna see more of that.
Speaker 5: I know, question for that.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the chat in the chest believes it. It was like Young Boy is definitely will surpass. It's like for this generation, he is the Michael Jackson for guy.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like I feel like a lot of people a lot of people conflate the two from like musicality standards and literally how these people treat you when you walk out the house. Consonat is another guy on that level. Like my point, these guys can lead the house and they won't get any like peace unless they got three security guards with them.
Speaker 4: But you know what y'all are seeing now, y'all are actually seeing real celebrity. And there's a lot there there is. There's a couple of real celebrities still left. Because of the social media era, everybody is so accessible. Everybody looks so regular and playing Jake alrighty city bikes.
Speaker 3: The damn.
Speaker 2: So it's different.
Speaker 4: Like some people still get treated like real celebrities out here, and I think it's because of how much access you get for But what.
Speaker 6: What young artists and there like and be a young boys age has that celebrity because they're they're all over social media, Like it's hard to do both.
Speaker 5: They're doing both.
Speaker 2: I've seen conson that God bless overseas and nobody care.
Speaker 3: That's how it be.
Speaker 4: But that not for Michael Jackson. Why y'all keep talking about Michael. Stop comparing tobody. Nobody compared to Michael Jackson. That ain't no old stuff.
Speaker 2: Just go back and.
Speaker 3: Watch you know who have them niggas overseas speed for real.
Speaker 2: But it still ain't like Michael.
Speaker 1: Right outside the airport for that man's playing the land.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's about how much Michael and Countries World Leader would greet him.
Speaker 3: Think about how think about how like the level of astique you just like had by design as a top artist in the eighties and nineties, Like a lot of people don't got that chance. Like you have to post on the internet, Michael Jackson. All he had to do was drop a video and his lebel handle the rest of it. It was, it was a different thing and everybody didn't have phones. Everybody didn't have phones like that exactly.
Speaker 5: But now before you even said I showed speed, everybody was saying that in the chair, like speed speed to get crazy, get out of the country.
Speaker 1: Do you like that part of it, the part where they say you have to post, you have to be because people want to know more than just listening to your music.
Speaker 3: I have. You can ask my team. I have the hardest time posting.
Speaker 1: They laughing behind you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had the hardest time, and it's not because I don't care about posting, but it's because I'd be overwhelmed with it, Like it's very overwhelming, Like, yeah, I'm a young guy, but I'm also from the era of right before it got this hectic, right before everything was super duper. Oh, you can post an Instagram story, you can post a real like it was just a square. You would literally just be able to post a picture, post a tweet when you had to retweet, like you couldn't quote it. It was like it said rt next to the tweet, Like I'm from that era. So it's kind of it'd be kind of difficult for me to try to latch on.
Speaker 5: You go back on Facebook now, like it looked like a whole different world.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. Facebook is not the same, you know.
Speaker 6: No, it's not talk about the tension between up Next and up Now that you explore with this project and what that even means up next versus up now or and so I.
Speaker 3: Feel like I feel like up Next is kind of like a leash. I feel like it's kind of like a leash for sure, because it's like how long am I going to be up next? How long are you all going to keep telling me that, like when are y'all gonna actually like push you know what I'm saying for the guy to be up, not even just me, because this can go for anybody. Like I just feel like, uh, if y'all gonna say somebody next up, say it once or twice and then just let the guy be the one up. That's just how I be feeling.
Speaker 4: Or to your point about is there used to be a time where you could see it right, like you knew, Okay, here go Marchael Plus in the beginning he got a mixtape or whatever. Yeah, oh okay, Now Michael Plus just signed. Oh Michael Plus. Now he on you know, b T or MTV or whatever it is. Oh, now Margall Plus without a single, Oh Michael Plus for out of album.
Speaker 2: Oh he went platinum. Now he's on Award show.
Speaker 4: Like you could see it nowadays, you can't really see where it starts to end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's exact. That's exactly. It's such a blur. It is a complete blur. Everybody's career is like it's so it's weird. It's weird, but I think it might be for the better for these guys.
Speaker 1: But let Chase Records to them. Yeah, they're not a lot of times they're not chasing the artists. They're not trying to build a brand and build an artists slow. They they see a song on on Spotify, they see a song on TikTok, and they chase music. Yeah, and usually they artist has one song, they got a year max. And then you never see them again.
Speaker 6: Right in the chat, just said the lifespan for rappers nowadays is so short, max is two years.
Speaker 5: I think they're just talking about the art, not that life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not for sure. Uh, it's I feel like it's it's two reasons for that. I feel like, of course, the attention span of the fan and the ego of the artists. Uh. I'm trying to I'm trying to practice what I preach by actually like making sure I can do all the work. But yeah, a lot of people kind of get complacent, get jaded. If one thing doesn't work, they forget, like they forget to keep going. But if something does work, they forget to keep going, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can't I don't know, I can't move like that from the south side, right, Yeah, College Park.
Speaker 2: What does the south side sound like to you.
Speaker 3: Honestly, all of Atlanta. It's kind of like it's kind of like, all right, so the way the South Side is everybody is from I feel like everybody from the from the West Side for real, or like just the center of Atlanta, and then they moved out and spread out. So I grew up with a lot of folks like, yeah, we're from the South Side, but the folks from the West Side, from Bankhead, or they from like Zone six or they like from Boulevard something like that. So honestly, the one of the first roue like outside of Jermaine Duprix, one of the first big South Side artists was Two Chains, you know what I'm saying. So really, what we had we had what we had for real, like outside of like the young like the up and coming artists and stuff like that were listening like too, were listening to Gucci, We listen to Gez, We listened to Young Ralph Young, School to the Future, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: All that your album was described as a major creative leap, right, so how did it sound on? I know? Right? So they I guess they're basically saying that your sound has evolved from previous projects.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: I do. I do agree with it, and only I only feel like that now because I realized I hate my older music, but not because it's bad, because I know I've gotten better. I was listening to my music the other day because I'm preparing for a tour and I had to. I was really listening. I was like, yo, I hate all this older stuff, but this newer album is like it feels timeless, like it just feels better. And maybe I'm gonna say that the next time, the next time I drop an album, But right now, that's just how I feel.
Speaker 5: You should only get better and better. But what exactly do you hate about it? Is it the subject matter?
Speaker 3: Is it how you Sometimes it's my tone of voice. Sometimes I I feel like I just got very, very good at hooks. So it's a lot of times it's that. A lot of times it's beat selection. A lot of people say I have great beat selections. They're saying that for years, But my ear changes all the time. So it's usually just things like that. Me being a psychopath, I want.
Speaker 1: To ask that when you're writing a song. I look at your songs, and they very and the reason the way I said, they vary. Is before it used to be sixteen hook, sixteen hook, sixteen hook, right, and then for some reason it just stopped. Now is the song is a minute forty two seconds or two minutes the longest?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: How do you get everything out in that short period of time? It's that easier. That's the most difficult thing, yo. I ain't gonna lie. That's a good question, because I used to be the artist three sixteens like my I'm looking at some of your records are four minutes long, five minutes long, but now the last couple of two minutes.
Speaker 3: They had to figure out how to consolidate it for the younger people, man like, even for the even for the people who don't got that much time in the day or don't want to listen to the same beat for three and a half minutes. I had to figure out, Oh, instead of doing two sixteens and a hook, I could do a cold twenty folk. I could do a mean thirty two. You know what I'm saying, Do a hook in a bridge instead of a bunch of hooks, like just things like that, Even like the song out my Way I have, I'm only on that joint for one minute. I feel like Sino is on the song for more time than I am. It's really just things like that, just trying to figure out how to consolidate the art form for the next generation.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Now? You cold? Now if you cold? Because a lot of people, I feel like a lot of people, a lot of people kind of be drawn it out, Like you could draw like you could make a long song and it could sound drawn out, or you can make a short song that's compact and you like Yo, I want to play this again. I want to listen to this, like right after this and the next time.
Speaker 5: Though you could be dope. Don't you listen to a long song? Be cause for Perrero like not like us. It's long as shit. But you can't stop the song. You gotta keep listening.
Speaker 3: I like to. I like to.
Speaker 4: You know, I heard the song from Killing Mike A one hundred three thousand that's not out yet. That's like fourteen fifteen minutes long. Wow, And that song is incredible.
Speaker 3: I need to hear that.
Speaker 2: Would you tell me.
Speaker 3: That you're not?
Speaker 2: You should? You should connect with Mike connected I have I've not met him.
Speaker 3: I know his son though.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, like you and Mike need to connect because 'all just you know, I feel like spiritual, spiritually, y'all have like an you have a spiritual artistic connection, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But yes, him and Dre got a song and that's like fifteen minutes long, and it's just them too, it's.
Speaker 2: Just tim too.
Speaker 7: But they start telling us now the beat is changing, because the beat is changing because based off what Andre is rapping about and the things he's referencing, the beat changes to go along with what he's referencing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's really dope.
Speaker 4: That's and I'm like, I just think if something's dope, it will keep your attention.
Speaker 3: Hundred thousand makes me so angry because he's my favorite rap forever. Like Outcast, I don't separate them. They're both. There's like the act itself is the greatest rap act ever. Like I understand what he means when he says he don't think people want to listen to him, Bru, just try it, Like, just try it, gang, try it. Bro. It's people like me out here in Atlanta who need you, like dead serious, like you think these folks don't need you, and we do. Like it's folks who want to hear you. It's fopos who want to like and no disrespect to your your your your instrument albums album. Yeah, no, like, no disrespect to that. But dog, we need a big homie, bro. Everybody big homie trying to be in a club, trying to be in a hookah lounge like nobody them folks not like nah, we need a real big homie. You don't like the flip. I love the flu I be high as hell, but like, dog, we need we need them bars. Like, what's the last thing we got from from dre life of a party? It was for the party with no scientists engineers, that's what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they want to grab me for that. So who do you feel spiritually connected to artistically? When you know I'm I'm specifically talking about the generations before you.
Speaker 3: This might sun cliche, but pop big pop fan, super pot fan. Uh, this is crazy Wayne at a certain point in his life because I feel like I feel like I'm in that best rapper alive back Sometimes I just feel like every time I do a verse it's cold. So Wayne, I'm not sure. I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the rest of that to be honest, those are two good ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you said you was to you're getting ready for tours?
Speaker 3: So you on tour with j D.
Speaker 5: This man got me calling everything because the period the periods throw me off.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like it's.
Speaker 3: J I D.
Speaker 5: But whatever. Yeah, So how did that happen?
Speaker 3: You being on to see it's kind of funny? Uh, I ain't know I was gonna be on the tour, but was talking about the tour one day and somebody said, are you checking my plus on the road? He said, you don't got no choice but to come. I didn't know that I was going, but I thought he was just I thought he was just saying that. But I found out. I was like, oh, yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 2: You don't have no choice but to come.
Speaker 1: Getting that's hilarious, Yo, that's oh here Yo. I thought he's gonna get you in the flu when you said love the flu but the too. All right, we know you do, bro?
Speaker 2: What I do want to ask you? The period on for Atlanta meaning to you in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, honestly, just showing folks, that is more. It's more than what met stye. All these young kids killing each other, all these like and just even like on the wrap side, like we ain't just stupid now like everybody think just because like we we got a certain energy or we talk a certain way that we like, like they think country people slow. You know what I'm saying. I don't know. I just want to be. I just want to show niggas like it ain't like that. That's really it. That's really it. I want to be and I want to show that somebody from the South can be at the top outside of j Cole, like because Cole is like the he's like he's low key the real king of Southern hip hop.
Speaker 4: Talkin I'm from the Carolinas. Not make it so, you know, not making it to the high not make it to make it cast don't count. What about the number one movie and album in the same week.
Speaker 1: What is the highest point in your opinion? What is the highest point there? Don't you speak up, sir?
Speaker 3: Are we serious?
Speaker 2: Tip had a number one forget how big, sir?
Speaker 1: Generation just asking what you mean by said he's the kidding yourself?
Speaker 3: So like, what is podcast for the year at the ground the king of Southern hip hop talking.
Speaker 2: Like Atlanta not the South?
Speaker 3: Bro, What do you mean Okay.
Speaker 4: First of all, if you really want to get to Atlanta is a territory of its own, let's give it.
Speaker 3: It's like a peninsula.
Speaker 2: Is it about sales? What are we talking be basing this on because it's godface, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's about I think it's I think it's how people care about you, like bro, look at how they treat today there. They will never treat cold like that. Cole will never get you. Is trying to rat it mainstream major act ever.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that his peak. T I was the biggest. That's peak.
Speaker 3: That's his peak, though, cold call one of them guys where people like I don't. I don't even think that the rat beef apology is gonna set him back too much. Like he's cold, he's cold?
Speaker 2: Can I say something else?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: If you're talking about accolades, future got more accolades than col Right, all right.
Speaker 3: All right, I thought I was talking about something like what.
Speaker 2: Do we mean?
Speaker 4: What do you mean when you're talking about you started talking about Grammys? And what are you talking about when you say he's the king in the South?
Speaker 2: What qualifies you as king? And sun people still the time?
Speaker 3: Car face, Bro, it's about like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Man, it's a lot of the one record with DJ Paul that's that's not good and you're acting like space.
Speaker 3: I thought that was an ice cube.
Speaker 5: Literally, Okay, I get what, I get. What you in the chest was bad. My age or something like. The future has no substance to his music.
Speaker 3: We're talking about lyrics. That's this. This is that guy? You know what's so crazy? Yeah, I just that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Think about I look at Cood the other way. I feel like, ain't no call.
Speaker 2: I just don't like when y'all make these days.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do something. I'm gonna do something. T I's career. He came out in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: What I'm serious?
Speaker 3: He had arguably the one of the longest poems in the South. I'll give it like I'll say, I'll say twelve years because I like trouble man.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Cole has had the longest run of being at the top in the South. It's been Cole came out. When when did Sideline Story come out? Town eleven? It's twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: What are we basing this?
Speaker 3: I really yo, I'm so happy I'm up here. Okay, agreeing with this man, I got a chart, I got a chart. It's of course longevity. It's rap skills. It's everything that goes into your rap skills. It is metaphors, it's lyricability. People don't understand that lyrical ability and technical ability are two different things. It's how it's how consistent you are.
Speaker 1: Check those relevancy.
Speaker 3: Did they have a Wayne esque feature run though where they killed everything? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Who you all right? Absolutely outside of stump argue that.
Speaker 4: Dom Magic remix Soldier remix.
Speaker 2: With what are we talking about that same thing? We we we have recency bias.
Speaker 3: So much, you know, you know, I'm I'm a I'm a newer generation guy. That might be the case, might be the case.
Speaker 1: Most people say the opposite. Most people say Cole is underrated and people don't respect him and ate them the way that he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's like people say the same thing about krit and he's way bigger than create. Like I just feel true, I just feel like I don't know, man, colded a cold cold and a lot of a lot of work that the average Southern artists wouldn't be able to stand right here still like, and I don't count future transcending hip hop I can't count future because like that's like Atlanta.
Speaker 4: You can say transd at one point, I can say you was on My Love and Robin.
Speaker 2: You're a t I fan, Bros, my top five Folk t GZ and like.
Speaker 6: Folks don't I feel like this is a generational t I fan argument, Like both of y'all are fans, but you're just younger than him.
Speaker 5: So you see it differently different.
Speaker 3: Like I was like saying they are, But I.
Speaker 6: Think he's arguing the longevity of the impact and staying power and both of them have had it, but he is viewed differently.
Speaker 3: And also, I know more people influenced by Cold and Tip age like a man.
Speaker 2: This generation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was influenced Tip of Coal bro.
Speaker 4: I had every TI album. You just said that Cold. More people more influenced by.
Speaker 2: Cold, Yeah, they are that you.
Speaker 3: Young kids want to repack. People don't want to You don't want to write like t I. T I was a lot of that was that was everybody wanted to rap like in the day, but now nobody wants to do that. He Tip was on Thug Out and he was like, huh, what is t I doing on thug album?
Speaker 2: The Money? But as I said, it's a recency bias thing. By the way, that could happen to Cold.
Speaker 3: That's not happening. The call it could quite already good.
Speaker 2: I was you say you forty a co forty already? I know he did. I'm not saying it will. I'm saying because you never know what's gonna happen in the next five years.
Speaker 3: He's cemented, I think he said, and he's gonna drop his last album. Don't even play like that.
Speaker 4: I think I think Cold is submitted. I think Kendrick is cemented. I think Drake is cemented, you know what I mean. But also t I cemented as well. Jesus, you can't take away who they and what they do.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing that. But also I just got to keep it the fact, bro, these white kids are listening to Cold before they cut on the motivation.
Speaker 2: Doug Motivation is twenty years old, no.
Speaker 3: Matter, bro, it was, it was, it was everything is twenty years old that people like you, you.
Speaker 4: Know, by the way, by the way, Jay Cole don't got no album like Doug Motivation.
Speaker 3: You're right, come on, man, I was there. I was there.
Speaker 2: I don't understand y'.
Speaker 1: But also, like what he said.
Speaker 3: A biased guy. I'm not a biased listener, so I can. I can, I can. I can understand where it's like, yeah, I appreciate this and I understand this, but I understand also understanding back the kids.
Speaker 4: You're right right, But you know what else we keep we said? Golf said Wayne Bro, I love ain't had no run like Wayne.
Speaker 3: For god, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I forgot to exactly but Wayne Bro? What Wayne?
Speaker 3: Wayne? People forget Wayne from where he's from. Wayne just a rapper like Wayne is one of the like, no matter where you're from in the country, Wayne's gonna beat somebody favorite rapper out there. Like that's like, but.
Speaker 6: People forget what call from arguing right now that j Cole is from New York.
Speaker 5: I literally was like he's from down the streets like sign to Rocks and all the times.
Speaker 2: Wayne t I scarface, like come on, Broye.
Speaker 3: All right, So it's it's Wayne and Cole with the longest.
Speaker 2: Wayne been around since he was kid, like a kid for real Wayne.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and two kids. We about to ride.
Speaker 2: What about your legacy? Marco?
Speaker 4: Plus, when it's all said and done, what do you want to Atlanta scene to say Marchael Plus contributed to the coaching.
Speaker 3: I want to be the reason that these young kids want to like say like do more and say more and don't want to get into beef and get shot oh with nothing. Essentially, I kind of just want to help my city figure out it's true identity. It's kind of been lost upon since like the like a bunch of things that, like the whole Rico debacle when Shorty put out the list of like all the gangs and all that stuff, it kind of didn't cool nothing down and just made everything hotter. I just I don't know, man, it be It's it's twelve year old kids getting shot and killed. Like I want people to understand, like, you ain't gotta be you ain't gotta be something like that just to like cause you a talented kid. You know what I'm saying. You want to get out and you feel like, oh we're in this city. I gotta do this when you can, you can be everything. You know what I'm saying. You don't got to be one thing. The success of a rapper is not linear or the same for anybody. And I just want to be able to be like Yo, this kid shifted the paradigm. That's what I want people to say.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you for joining. Yeah, come back, thank you absolutely.
Speaker 2: And when you become the biggest rapper in the world, don't forget us.
Speaker 3: Man. How the hell am I gonna do that?
Speaker 2: It's happened before one day, I'm gonna do the ship.
Speaker 3: Let me be done your day, ladies.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: Thank y'all, chat for riding what us just wanting to chat every day a week.
Speaker 3: Click yours up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Finish for y'all. Dumb