Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spaffer, joined as always by my trusted colleague Wes Hodkowitz, and we are coming to you here from our brand new podcast studio inside the halls of lambeau Field, Weston. This is quite the setup, my.
Speaker 2: Friend, This is quite the setup. I mean, you got to give a lot of credit to everybody in our broadcasts and game pres department, Craig Schilber, his team. I mean, when we walked in here last week, we saw the renderings and how all this stuff was going to potentially look. And then I mean I said this to you several times already. But when you think back to our first episode in twenty sixteen, we're pulling parts around, We're pulling tables from different areas to get a you know, a desk together. Matt Arvin, Craig, They're over at like the restore picking up stuff to like build a set with. And now you look at this and technology progress, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean ten years ago was heres ago the first show Man twenty sixteen, and here we are. I will say this, I know a lot of our audience is a podcast listening audience, So I will just say you may want to just for a few minutes check out the video version of this particular episode in the new studio so you can kind of see what we're talking about here. We appreciate the audience wherever they're from, whether they're watching on the video listening to the podcast. But yeah, this is pretty cool and we've got we have a ton of stuff to talk about because we've been off for too long quite frankly, but we were waiting for this studio to get built and we've been excited to get rolling here. But we need to spend some time recapping what has gone on during the off season here for the Green Bay Packers, and there's been a lot. The big three all got new contracts, the big three being Brian Gutakuntz, Matt Lafleur, Russ Ball, the top three guys at the top of the Packers football operation were all extended by new president and CEO ed Policy. We have new coaches in the building, two new coordinators, Jonathan Gannon on defense, Cam Acord on special teams, a handful of new position coaches coming into the building, and then several players coming and going as far as free agency acquisitions, departures and all that. It has been a busy few months around here as far as how the twenty twenty six Packers are going to take shape. So I just sort of recapped the three big categories. I'll let you start with, though, where you think we need to begin here?
Speaker 2: I will, well, first and foremost, let's start with the stability piece, right, because that is ultimately what this all thing comes down to. The Packers had to make a decision ed policy now almost one year into his role now as the president CEO of the Green Bay Packers. He mentioned the first sit down we had with him last summer. You know, we all knew there was this contracts coming onto the horizon for Brian, for Matt, obviously russ Ball in the executive vice president role in a lot of the contract stuff, and Ed wanted to kind of get through that first year and then figure out the plan. And we talked with him a lot about that in Arizona at the NFL annual meetings, and he said, you know, he knew going into even before the season ended, he wanted to extend Matt. He wanted to extend Brian. He wanted to keep his lieutenants in place here. And when you think about stability, I feel like that is kind of been sort of the hallmark of the Green Bay Packers over the last twenty five years since Ted Thompson took this thing over and rebuilt the Packers draft and developed win a Super Bowl, Brian obviously learning underneath him, learning underneath Ron Wolf. They identified their head coach in twenty nineteen and Matt Lafleur. And Yes, as difficult as it was, how last season ended five straight losses, a really heartbreaking loss against the Chicago Bears, the goal for Ed was to take the emotion out of it, to look at the totality of what those three men have accomplished together. And the fact of the matter remains Matt Lafleur. Seven years as the head coach, the agreement Packers have advanced the playoffs six times the three years in a row, the youngest team in the National Football League this year, by all accounts, that won't end up working out that way. It's going to be able to taking that next step, and those three guys are in place to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the other thing that I heard loud and clear from ed policy is that this decision to extend to go with the stability. As you said with regard to the organization, stability should not be confused with satisfaction. There is not any element of satisfaction with how the last couple of seasons in particular have gone. Where at the end of the seasons the last two years, the Packers have not been playing their best football. Whereas earlier in Matt Lafleur's tenure saw we saw the Packers playing better in December and January than they were earlier in the year. The last couple of years down the stretch, for any number of reasons, that hasn't been the case, and they wound up with the seven seed not being able to win a first round game and the one and done in the playoffs. It doesn't sit well with anybody, So I mean, I think I think that message needs to be sent as well. But as you said, the totality the accomplishments, the foundation that's been built here, the overall youth of the roster that is still in place, and the direction things are heading. It was not time to just blow everything up and start over. There is a lot of things pointing in the right direction here and now ed policy has put his faith in Brian Gudukunst and Matt Fluir to take that next step.
Speaker 2: And you're talking about one of the best talent evaluators in the National footb leagu You're talking about on the best offensive mines and head coaches in the National Football League. And if either Matt Lafleur or Brian Goudiguins came unattached to the Green Bay Packers, they were going to have a job within forty eight hours if they wanted to, no doubt. And that isn't how this thing always works, right, God bless Mike McCarthy loved the dude. He had to sit out twice of a full season before getting that next opportunity. The Packers have something good going here. And when you think about Ed and also you know he's got a long run here too, Right, this is the beginning of his tenure running this whole entire organization. To upset the apple cart now, I think would have been unwise in my personal opinion. And now the Packers with what they have in place. You heard all the guys talk about it this offseason. Ed mentioned the amount of people that came up to him from the locker room to talk to about Matt Lafleur. There's I feel like a good energy in this building right now. Now they understand the expectations. As you said, complacency can't be a thing. But that being said, with the moves they've made and how deep this roster already is a day before the NFL Draft, in which time we're taping this, I think that tells you that this team is ready to compete, and why would you want to take away the guys that have helped kind of oversee that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, other changes that have gone on here in the last few months. I don't want to gloss over this, but I will say we're going to talk about this more in depth, I think on a future show, and I'm talking about the changes with the coaching staff, with Jonathan Gannon coming in as the new defensive coordinator, with Jeff Haffley getting the head coaching job in Miami. Congratulations to coach Hafley, by the way, tremendous and wish him the best of luck in all but one game in twenty twenty six, when the Dolphins come to Lambo and cam Acord taking over as special teams coordinator after the surprising and somewhat sudden departure of Rich Basacia, which Matt Lafleur, Brian Gutcunz, they admitted they didn't really see that coming, but they reacted to what was in front of them, and cam Acord is now in place. We're expecting to be able to talk to both of those new coordinators and some of the new assistant coaches during OTA's later this spring, and so I want to kind of push that discussion until later when it comes to this roster that you were just talking about a lot of change in terms of in terms of players coming and going of all of those, and we'll try to touch on all of them in one fashion or another, but what would you say is sort of the biggest headline in terms of what's changed with this Packers roster?
Speaker 2: Well, when you were we were doing the intro and you were talking about, like what I think, I think the most salient thing when you talk about the construction of the team is obviously who the lieutenants are, who the guys running this whole show, right, But in terms of my idea of what this offseason headline was and this theme was, was surprise and you touched on a little bit with rich and him obviously moving on and now at Clemson. But there were so many moves that Brian Goodikunz made this offseason that legitimately surprised me. I never saw a trade for Zire Franklin coming in them sending Colby Wooden to Indianapolis a player for player trade. Tell me the last time that's even happened in Green Bay? Maybe Anthony Smith.
Speaker 1: I was trying to get that's the name Anthony Smith from back in twenty ten orven whatever year that was. Yeah, maybe the last.
Speaker 2: Time they've done a couple of very small ones like in the offseason, but not for like a starting nose tackle, starting defensive tackle for an all Pro linebacker. And that sort of set the tone for how this whole offseason sort of went. There were things that we expect, I think you and I when you look at how many guys departed from this roster und restricted free agency, I think we kind of expected that this is how that thing was going to go. Romeo Dobbs, Rashid Walker, all these guys supupremuly talented, Kingsley, j j a Ning, Bari Kay Walker. Yeah, but the fact was is that there were questions there about whether any of those guys back based on the depth of how those positions already sort of lined up and who the next guy up was going to be, and the packers also understanding what's going to be coming around the bend here in twenty twenty seven, Tucker Kraft, Christian Watson, Jaden Reid some big contracts that they're going to have to address here down the line. So all that being said, the moves that Brian Gudikuntz made without having a first round pick, without having that type of flexibility to move around with that piece, that was probably what surprised me the most. We saw the most trades, we saw some really intriguing signings, a sky More, a Javon Hargrove, a Hardgrave excuse me, where you know, being in dipping back into that free agent kind of crop was something that I think we expected, but just the guys that they brought in were probably the ones that sort of surprised me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're going to talk a little bit of draft preview stuff here in a bit, So this h this functions is a pretty good segue because when I look at what happened with regard to the roster, the comings and goings of the players. As you said, we expected kway Walker, Rashid Walker, Romeo Dobbs, Malik Willis, We expected those guys to move on. They weren't. Really the thought was that they weren't going to be coming back. And so within that context, it was sort of like, Okay, well, it looks like you're gonna need, you know, an inside linebacker, you're gonna need a defensive tackle, You're gonna want to boost the cornerback room, you're going to want to address special teams. And what did Brian Gudakums do in the offseason? He made He made the move for Franklin at linebacker. He signed Hardgrave, he signed Sky Moore, he signed Benjamin Saint Jus at cornerback. Now that doesn't mean those he's all done with those positions, but the moves that he made, he set himself up to not be forced into anything in the draft.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He covered, he covered his bases. And this is a strategy that we've seen from Gutakunts over the years, and it's a It's really served the Packers well because, as I said, and Gutakunz said on Tuesday when he addressed the media for roughly a half an hour, he came right out and said, we're gonna add numbers at cornerback. Like he basically advertised the fact that Packers are going to draft a cornerback, if not multiple cornerbacks with their eight picks coming up here this weekend. But what he did is by you know, say, looking at that position, in particular, by signing a guy like Saint Juice to come in when Nate Hobbs is not returning. He was he was released. Gutukunst isn't going to feel forced to like, oh, I have to use that second round pick. My first needs to be used on a cornerback er, it needs to be used on a defensive tackle. No, because he went out and got Javon Hargrave, a guy whose best years over his eleven years in the NFL, his best years have been with Jonathan Gannon as his defensive coordinator in Philadelphia. So the GM was covering his bases and setting himself up this weekend without the first round pick, but with eight picks going in on Friday and Saturday, to let the board come to him. He doesn't have to force anything. He doesn't have to feel desperate in any particular spot to go and fill a hole. He's going to build and add to the depth of this team at those positions, but it's not going to be with his hand forced. And that's what he spent that from March through April doing.
Speaker 2: And you go back to even like twenty nineteen, right when he started this whole thing in Green Bay, what did he do? He signed the Smith Bros. And then one month later drafted Rashaan Garrett, right, So it was like the over seating sometimes of that position I think has really served the Packers. Well, maybe this is a year where they look at that at cornerback. But one thing I really liked about the Saint Juwice signing in particular was last year, you know, they paid a pretty penny for Nate Hobbs. It didn't work out. I thought Hobbs in the locker room, great dude, he was. He was great to deal with. But whether it be the injury, whether it be not really a great fit on the perimeter, his opportunity never really worked out. What's cool about Saint just is you're not paying that type of premium contract this time, the guy is coming off a career year in a rotational sub package roll with the LA Chargers, and now we'll be able to compete with a Carrington Valentine. Or if they do take a cornerback in the second round, maybe that guy comes in and pushes for that. The big message that Brian, he spoke for almost a half an hour on Tuesday, and his big message was he wants to create competition at as many of these spots as possible. That's where there are right now. And then what's the benefit of that, what's the byproduct of that? Look at the trade he made a week and a half ago here now with the Dantavian Wicks. Dantavian Wicks was a fifth round pick, really nice player, good fine for green Bay. But as he said, he wasn't sure what his long term forecast was going to be. You have other issues and other positions they have to address here in free agency next year. Was Wix going to be back? And if he doesn't come back, okay, well then you get a compensatory pick. But what if the Packers are active in free agency and that cancels out the compensatory pick. So he moves him along to Philadelphia. They get an extra fifth, so now they're up to six picks on Day three and then also a six rounder next year. That's the push like kind of pushing it forward that you want to do when you're able to take one pick, make it too. And I just feel like the long term view and these are the type of moves you can make when you know all your pieces are in place. From an administrative standpoint, and now the Packers can see how this thing, survey this landscape, see where the positions are deep, see what things sit at number fifty two on Thursday on Friday night, and try to make the best decision possible for this franchise moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about protecting and maximizing your assets at the same time. Right, So I do want to talk a little bit more about the draft. There's plenty to discuss in that realm, but we'll take a quick break and be back in a moment after a word from our sponsor. Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted. All right, Wes. This is gonna be a different, a really different draft for the Green Bay Packers, certainly compared to last year, for a couple reasons. One, the draft isn't right outside the parking lot. That helped. It's it's it's in Pittsburgh, a little less chaos around around the building. Although that was absolutely a blast to have the draft here in Green Bay, and I hope it happens again sometime. Ed Policy has even mentioned the Packers are gonna throw their hat in the ring again to host the draft here somewhere down the road.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be pretty You're gonna have to if it, depending on when it happens. If you're already off in the island somewhere, you're gonna have to come back and chip in on that one, just experience.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll maybe I'll get to walk up on the stage and annou yeah, there you go round or something like that, like GROSSI last year. Exactly. I'll take Tom Grassi spot. I'm sorry, Tom, I'm already there. But no so looking at this year eight picks right now, because the other big difference of courses, the Packers do not have a first round pick. This year's first rounder next year's first rounder included in the Micah Parsons trade last August, so eight picks going in, one in each round from two through six, and then two picks in round seven, with the extra one being a compensatory selection. I think it's like the third to last pick in the entire draft. But I also but I think the other number aside from eight picks in this draft to think about going into this is that and Brian Goodekunz mentioned it a couple of times in speaking with the media on Tuesday. Packers are looking at having eleven, possibly more eleven plus picks in next year's draft because of a the compensatory picks they're expecting to get for the departures of kway Walker and Malik will and Romeo Dobbs, et cetera. But also the Rashaan Gary trade netted an extra fourth round pick for next year, and as you had just discussed previously, the Dantavian Wicks trade, which added a I'm sorry I got the picks wrong because I said one pick two through six. There's an extra pick in the fifth round for Dantavian Wicks. So there's two picks in the fifth and two picks in the seventh Sorry about that, correct myself there, But there is also an extra sixth round pick next year from the Dantavian Wicks trade, right, so all of those picks. I thought it was interesting, I guess because I wasn't sure if he was going to tip his hand necessarily, but I thought I thought Guda Kunst was was sort of in a very relaxed sense, was making it pretty clear that he's not going to be averse to trading one of those picks next year if he if there's an opportunity to maybe move up this year for a guy that he likes. Now, I'm not thinking that the Packers would necessarily have the draft capital or want to spend any of that draft capital next year to move up into the first round this year. Hard it would be very, very difficult. But if you're talking about moving up in the second round, say from fifty two where they sit right now, up to forty five or forty three or something like that, or moving up in the third round from eighty four, say up to seventy five or seventy something like that, those types of moves up. While I still think it's maybe a little unlikely, It's just my gut is that it's unlikely. You can't rule it out because of that draft capital that he has next year. If he's willing to spend.
Speaker 2: It, well, okay, and you always have to read the tea leaves, right, you gotta see the whole bandwidth of how things go and the moves that Brian Goodigains makes. I felt like there was a turning point back during training camp, at the end of training camp when he traded a future six round pick to Philadelphia to get Darren Kinnard here. We never seen anything quite like that that he traded a twenty twenty six pick. He traded a twenty twenty seventh pick. Now, as it turns out, they know flopping around some six rounders anyway now because of this Wicks trade. But that was the long term view that Gooda Kunts was taking. So I feel like what this offseason, if anything, has proven, is that he is going to He's always talked about, you know, turning over every stone, looking at every possibility and picking up and making every phone call. And Brian's done that the rashan thing, to be honest with you, That did surprise me a little bit. With the fourth round pick, not because of Rashan, but because Rashaan comes with a contract, Like there was already a deal that Green Bay had done several years ago. The Cowboys, i think, kind of redid it a little bit, but they're absorbing something. It's not just like this. The Kenny Clark thing was a really easy deal for the Cowboys to do last year because he just had that base salary. The Packers were paying out the signing bonus all the other stuff. So to be able to get a fourth next year, that that gives you some equity, regardless of whether or not you want to move that or you want to use it in the back of your head like that's that's a real pick. When you get to the beyond the fifth round, then you start looking at the draft value chart, everything kind of starts losing a lot of its power. So yeah, I'm very curious to see how this plays out. And honestly, I'm very excited as much as you want to have a first round pick, as much as you and I want to be covering a you know, a top blue chipper on that first night, somebody that probably is the best player on their team or maybe even the best player in their conference. To be able to look at the second round and focus in on a little bit more has been kind of a fun exercise because if you look back on it, Green Bay has had a lot of success there, Ted Thompson did, and Brian Goodikuntz has been on a real heater in that round too now, so especially when you factor in the Day three or the third round pick later in Day two with Tucker Kraft a couple of years ago. So that aspect of it is really intriguing to me. The spotlight is shining bright on them. And then you think about fifty two, Well, you go back to twenty fourteen, I think they got DeVante. Yeah, DeVante Adams is fifty three. I think that year right around there. So opportunity of plenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I will you mentioned it's been an interesting exercise to kind of study more of the Day two picks us the first round picks, just for you know, trying for ourselves, just to get an idea of who's out there and who might fit the packers and whatnot. So I'll throw in a plug for some of our content for the last several weeks on the website, we've been doing a prospect primer. It's a series that we do every year trying to look at, you know, players at different positions that might fit where the Packers are picking. Well. This year, that study of those of those potential of those possibilities was focused on Day two players, Round two, Round three guys projected to go on the second day of the draft as opposed to the first day of the draft. So series of videos out there on packers dot Com, a few guys at all the different positions if you just want to get a taste of maybe some possibilities of guys that the Packers might be looking at. That being said, so I want to throw this I'll throw this question at you because I think this is one that we that we kind of toss around every year right before the draft. Packers are going into this draft with eight picks, and since I batched it before, I'll run it through one in rounds two, three and four each two in round five, one in round six, two, in round seven, eight picks going in. So, how many picks do you think the Packers will come out of this draft?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ten. Oh, I think there's gonna be some flexibility. And that's not to say they can't move up at a time too. There's a couple of players in the second round that if Brian Gudikuns want to throw some assets to go get them, I would be very pleased. But I just look at that sixth round in particular. I just feel like there's gonna be an opportunity there, whether it's them moving back maybe with one of the fifth rounders, or maybe them trading some future capital to get back in there. I just wonder, after sitting on the bench on Thursday, which is what I would anticipate Green Bay does, because you're gonna you'd have to move a player. I think at this point to be they're not gonna trade in the twenty eight first rounder. So I feel like that sixth round is where I don't want to say Gudiacuns could get antsy, but maybe there starts to be some of those guys that have equal value. You look at them from rounds five to seven, and maybe somebody's still on the board there that you want to try to take a double dip on. But I think ten I feel like this is a year, especially the way that he talked, you never know how next year could happen. You never know if there might be another pick they could end up picking up through a trade, But right now, I think ten feels to me like I would love fewer because it makes it for less stories and we all get home quicker.
Speaker 1: But fewer picks less work for us. But that's just selfish on our part.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that doesn't help the football team. It just helps me get to better earlier on Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, I'm gonna I'm gonna go with nine. I'm with you. I think I think the trade back idea scenario is more likely than the trade up. And even though I just talked about how Guda Kunst was discussing, you know, the possibility of trading you know, some of those or a draft asset next year to move up this year, I just I just wonder if he's going to hang on to that hall of picks he's got next year, just in case, just in case he might have enough or an idea of being able to get back into the first round next year and not have to go two consecutive years without first round pick. Again, pure speculation on my part. I have no idea what he's thinking, and at this point it's all going to depend on how the board looks in certain moments, right, and how they feel about certain players and whatnot. So it's it, it's just conjecture.
Speaker 2: The thing that's been in my mind a lot this week has been the twenty thirteen draft. Now, I've always made it known, like that's what one of my favorite Packers drafts ever, Right, I mean, when you think about you get an All Pro, potential Hall of Fame left tackle on the fourth round, that's a great story, right, Yeah, But what I liked most about that draft is the Packers drafted the NFL offensive rookie of the year at the end of the second round. People talk about Eddie Lacy being a second round pick. He was, but like Randall Cobb, it came in the eleventh hour.
Speaker 1: And if I remember right, Ted kept trading back. He didn't in the second round because everybody was like, take Eddie Lacey to Eddy Lacy, and Ted traded back a couple of times, and then Eddie Lacy was still there and available for him when he wanted him, and then he had other draft assets for the rest of the weekend.
Speaker 2: And then what else happened? They ended up not in the third round. They ended up with a bunch of fourth rounders. You took j C. Tretder, you took David Baktiari. The fifth round netted you Micah Hyde. We're talking about all pro players. We're talking about perennial starters. We're talking about franchise builders. That's the type of thing I'm looking for in this draft. I don't know how many guys Green Bay needs to end up with on Monday morning that are going to be like, Okay, well they're going to be starting this season, but it would be nice. I think one of the things that kind of hurt green Bay last year when you talked about the barrage of injuries that they dealt with, was how many times it ended up having to be an undrafted guy or maybe a guy that just got here, like a Josh Wiley that ended up having to play after Tuckercraft's injury. If you can have a couple of those guys in the pipeline so that late in the season, a dude that has some real makeup, knows your offense, knows your defense, and then gets put into that role. That's where you see Aaron Jones has come from, right, That's where you see the Mica Hydes ultimately step up, and I think this would be a really good draft if the Packers could get two or three of those guys specifically on Day three, Brian goodekunsk in the long runs can be really happy.
Speaker 1: Well. The other thing we've certainly seen a strategy that Goodakuns does not shy away from is doubling up at positions. You know, sort of hedging your bets because you know that not every draft pick is going to pan out, and so just because you draft a guy at a certain position doesn't mean you're done there, you know, for the weekend. So is there a position or positions that you think would be if Goodakuns is going to double up in a spot that you think would be most likely.
Speaker 2: I think the most likely is obviously cornerback. And the reason I would say that is not just because we've talked about it. You have to look at the long term view here. Saint Juice is the only cornerback on this roster that has a contract right now for twenty twenty seven, and they got really lucky with what Keishawn Nixon has given him. I'm no so when you look at a guy that came in got non tendered, did not get a restricted contract offer from Oakland slash Las Vegas. He comes in here as a flyer and dime cornerback, becomes your nickel cornerback and your kickoff returner, all pro kickoff returner. Then suddenly a couple of years later as you'r CB one. That's remarkable return on investment, one of the best street free agent signings green Bay's ever had, especially in the modern era. But him and Carrington Valentine, a seventh rounder three years ago, they weren't the Jyr Alexander types, the Quinton Rollins types, the guys that you drafted you'd like, Okay, well, these are the guys we're gonna have starting for us in a few years. It didn't work out that way. So I feel like green Bay needs to kind of replenish the coffers a little bit. As I've written routinely in our Insider Inbox column, we are now going on five years since the last time the Packers drafted a cornerback, a perimeter quarterback at that outside of the seventh round. We're talking not even about day two. We're talking about that. And when you think about what happened with receiver. Where there's a couple of years during the DeVante Adams peak of his powers, the Packers weren't drafting receivers. They eventually need to go get Christian Watson, They needed to get Romeo Dobbs in twenty twenty two. I feel like that's where we're at right now with cornerback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you there entirely with regard to the cornerback position. And as we talked about before, I mean, god to constant mince words. I mean, he said we're gonna add numbers at corner. He wants to. I think he wants to build a deeper position that where guys are really gonna duke it out during training camp in the preseason in terms of in terms of just where the depth chart is going to fall. You know, who's the number two, number three, number four, Like, you know, how is this all going to fit in in Jonathan Gannon's defense. The other the other one, I would say, I feel just because he's done it so many times in the past. As far as far as a potential double up would be offensive line now, he did say on Tuesday he feels pretty good about the depth of the offensive line. I thought it was interesting that he specifically mentioned he really liked what he saw of Jacob Monk center for the entire game the Week eighteen game against Minnesota, when the Packers were resting their starters for the playoffs, lots of guys got big opportunities. It sounds like Jacob Monk really took advantage of his opportunity and made an impression which sort of takes the pressure off, where at least takes the attention off in a way from Okay, are the Packers going to go draft a center out of here to be the backup to Sean Ryan who got a new contract to be the new center, since you know, he moved over there when Elton Jenkins got hurt and played well enough to get himself a new contract. So I thought that was that was an interesting comment. And he also he mentioned Travis Glover as well, who now, like, yeah, you know, he was a six round pick a couple of years ago, and he got thrust into things in the playoff game in Philly two januaries ago, and things didn't go all that well, and then he lost his entire twenty twenty five season two a really bad shoulder injury and also a lap muscle injury was involved in that.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: But unprompted, Gouda Kunz mentioned Travis Glover's coming back. I mean, so that's a guy. It's like, it's easy to forget about guys when they miss an entire season due to injury like he did, right, But that's a guy that that this this front office feels like is a key piece to the depth on the offensive line currently as well. And then they brought back Darien Kinnard, who was a restricted free agent. They brought back Donovan Jennings, an exclusive rights guy. So he feels pretty good about the depth on the offensive line. That being said, it still wouldn't surprise me out of the eight picks or if he ends up with nine or ten if a couple of those are offensive linemen, just because I mean it truly is if there's if there's any position where you where you can never have enough. I mean you not only need you know, you not only need five starters, You have to have at least three more guys that are going to be active on every game day, and then you want to have a couple of more guys behind them just to you know, to be able to deal with any sort of injury run that that might arise, So I could see a potential double up on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Well, and the fact that Kinnard's even on this roster begin with is a testament to that, right. I mean, this is not a guy that was on the roster all of last seat, all of last offseason, and then the Packers bring him in right at the start of the regular season because of some of the injuries, because they needed a little bit more depth, they needed a swing tackle. So the one other thing I want to say, though it won't be a double up position, but eight picks as it stands, I would be really surprised if you and I are sitting here next Tuesday on our next show of Packers Unscripted from our brand new studio, if there's not another tight end on this roster. I feel like we've spent so much time in the media talking about, Okay, do the Packers need to draft QB two? You know, is what's the do they need another receiver after trading down Tavian Wicks. Tight end is the position now that I think kind of comes into look because two things. One, John Fitzpatrick unfortunately the Achilles injury. That's your blocking tight end. He's not on the roster. I don't know what his prognosis is for this season. Terrible timing for him too with that Ben Simms is they didn't bring it. Now he's in Miami. I feel like, not only do you want to get somebody in that room, a young guy in that room with Tucker Craft, I think it's really important to be able to find some more depth there, find maybe another inline option for you so you can get a little bit more creative too. With with how you lose the use Luke Musgrave. This would be to me an ideal here. It's been three years now going into this thing. This would be an ideal here to pick up another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned that. The two positions that I'm really going to be thinking about come day three on Saturday of this draft is are are the Packers going to add to some add some depth to the tight end room and uh and start to look a little more towards the future again. Obviously the biggest piece of the future right now at tight end is with Tucker Craft going into the contract, you're coming off of the ACL you know, a candidate for a big time extension. Obviously, so that be watched closely. But what else about the future of the tight end position? And then the other one you you mentioned it in passing. Are they going to draft a quarterback? Are they going to bring in a rookie to compete with Desmond Ritter and Kyle McCord for who is the next QB two behind Jordan Love after you know, the last two years the Packers had the best QB two in all of the NFL and it served them quite well. So those are things. But again, when you're only going into the draft with eight picks, you know, you can't do everything in one draft, right, Like, we're going to be sitting here next week talking about potentially something that didn't happen that we thought maybe would because because you know, eight selections is is not the hall that Gouda Kuntz has had in the past and that he's potentially going to have next year where he goes into a draft with double digit picks and then you feel like, okay, well they're gonna be able to do you know, ABC, D and E and you kindind of touch on everything there.
Speaker 2: So we'll be interesting to watch too. How that quarterback board on Day three falls because two things to that. One, obviously you have to have someone there that's worth the value. But two, if green Bay would potentially approach it from an undrafted college free agent role, you would think this job would be the bell of the ball right now because with respect to Ritter and respect to McCord, both draft picks in this NFL, they both came in at the end of the season, they weren't on other rosters, right. McCord ended up his contract expired from Philadelphia, he signed here as a future signing. You had Ritter who was on the market. Packers brought him in after things didn't quite work out with Clayton Tune in that finale. So there's gonna be a lot of agents. There's gonna be a lot of quarterbacks that maybe don't get drafted in this thing that when they're putting together their board, you would think green Bay is going to be pretty high on that list.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean it's going to be. It's going to be a fascinating few days. The first day is going to be a little inactive for all of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, so what are we doing bringing a deck of cards or what's there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. You will play some uh you know, cribbage.
Speaker 2: Up for some crill.
Speaker 1: Bring my board. I got that. I got that, uh the cribbage board last year with the racing sausages from.
Speaker 2: Oh Nice, I got that out of you. Bring that. I'll bring my Pokemon cards. We can teach each other how to play hardwork.
Speaker 1: That sounds good, sound good. So with that we'll call it a rap on this comeback episode of Packers unscripted here in our brand new studio. We will be back next week and in the succeeding weeks through essentially through like off season program OTAs in mini camp, trying to do a couple episodes a week up until say like early to mid June something like that, before we take another break. So hope to see you again next week. But for now, thank you for tuning in, and we will see you next time.