Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: A production of Iheartrading, Hello and welcome back to the show. My name is Noel.
Speaker 3: Our colleague Matt is on adventures. Hopefully we'll send us some photographs of him on a boat. He will be returning soon. They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul mission controlled decans.
Speaker 2: Most importantly, you are you. You are here.
Speaker 3: That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Noel, do you remember when we got we went through our anti Catherra mechanism phase.
Speaker 4: I think everyone had one of those, you know, right next it's like Pokemon, POGs, Pokemon, and then an anti Caatherra mechanism of like a historical precedent.
Speaker 3: It's it's weird because history is full of incredibly strange things, so much so that you and I made an entirely different show all about ridiculous events, places, and people.
Speaker 2: We're fans of the weird stuff.
Speaker 4: Surely anti Caatherra mechanism has come up on ridiculous history at some point or another if anyone needs a quick reminder, just like a Bizarro device that seemingly way ahead of its time. You know, historically that was discovered and no one quite knew what it was for or what.
Speaker 2: It did, and I believe the jury is still kind of out.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a I don't know what you might picture like an Indiana Jones time travel relic, looking like you know, in fact, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that Wasn't that part of the plot for the current Indiana Jones, isn't The Dial of Destiny as depicted sort of takes some inspiration from the antiicate thera mechanism.
Speaker 2: Hey, no one tells the legal department. Well, yeah, I don't know if anybody holds the IP rights to this bizarre ancient artifact.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and there are other things like that too, like what the Bagdad battery, Yes, the Bagdad battery, which is very much a very much real thing, probably early electro plating.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We love this stuff, and our pal Matt loves it as well. The idea of anachronistic artifacts the idea that sometime in the past there was a technology that was far far past the current state of technology today in tonight's episode. Uh, we're fellow conspiracy realist NOL Mission Control and I are going to solve or at least explore a deep cut in the infamously controversial field of ancient aliens. This is the story of the drop of Stones.
Speaker 2: Here are the facts.
Speaker 4: The earliest source for the dropa Stones is in an article in Dan You're a big jerk?
Speaker 2: Is this nonsense?
Speaker 4: Here? I'm sorry, Ben's printed in the outline here and I guess what is this Greek?
Speaker 2: Russian? Maybe? Huh? Yeah, yeah, it's real, so real, like it's an incredible script.
Speaker 4: But it just hit me out of the blue, and I'm just like, I just my brain logjamm, you did helpfully include in parenthesies that it does translate to literatornia gazetta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry I called you a jerk. I didn't mean it. You know, I love you now, It's fine. You know me, I'm a dirtbag.
Speaker 3: This was February ninth, nineteen sixty and in this article they talked about the speculations of a guy named Matist m Augrist. Pardon ar mispronunciations here. We are not native speakers. He's he's a guy who was born in like nineteen fifteen, who believes that aliens visited Earth in the distant past and they left traces of their arrival. And this became a breakout success. Like at first it just published. No one really read it until a few years later in nineteen sixty two, and Nola, I'm going to lean on you for this German pronunciation. There was a German magazine that republished the story.
Speaker 4: That's right, and it became like the I guess scientific concept of the summer the way like we're having a brat summer right now.
Speaker 2: Whatever the song of the summer is.
Speaker 4: This was the banger of the summer of sixty two, when dos vegetariica universe sum here is the vegetarian universe. I'm sorry, I don't mean to do like the heavy it's just fine German. You're good, aggressive sounding.
Speaker 2: You know it does it. It's just it's hard to not say it without that oomph.
Speaker 4: The Vegetarian Universe, which you could probably derive from from the German itself, published this story in nineteen thirty seven. As they described in nineteen sixty two, a man named Chi Pooh Tie led an archaeological expedition into the Baiyonhar Mountains in western China and discovered seven hundred and sixteen granite discs with hieroglyphs or I guess, you know, run like perhaps hieroglyph cryptograms, you know on these granite discs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And they looked like they were made on purpose instead of say, you know, the weathering or something right right.
Speaker 3: Erosion on rocks or something. Someone or something appeared to have carved stuff onto these discs the way that you would lay a song into a record on vinyl.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Late later again, according to the story, later testing would determine that these disc were created about twelve thousand years ago. They vary in size. The biggest one is like a foot in diameter, and all of them have these grooves just like on a record in a double spiral that originates from a hole in the center, and the hieroglyphs apparently are discernible only with a magnifying class. It gets even weirder because in the story, both in the original Russian version and in the later German vegetarian version, the disc are found near these maps of constellations, and there are humanoid remains dude, something not quite homo sapien like thin bodies, unusually large heads. Paul, can we get something that sounds kind of like the X Files theme?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, you know it's funny already from the start.
Speaker 4: I was hearkening back to about three days ago when I started my full rewatch of The X Files, and I realized, Ben, I had never seen the pilot before that ever, And it deals with ancient alien any kind of things, you know, from the very start, and I believe there's a question posed or you know, when Moulder and Scully first meet, and Scully's laying out her reasoning for the notion that aliens probably don't exist or have not made it to Earth, and it has to do with the energy would take to traverse that kind of distance and the reasoning behind it and all of that stuff. But then within the span of one episode or maybe a couple, she's on board on the belief train pretty quick.
Speaker 3: One of the weirdest things about The X Files, which is a fantastic series for the most part, one of the weirdest things is how often people use the name Molder. People say that guy's name way more often than you would in normal conversation, so much so that just to argue with information for your rewatch. We invented a drinking game. Back one evening. We said, every time someone says molder unnecessarily, then you know, take a sip or something.
Speaker 2: And as a result of Scully a lot too. To be fair, he does, he does. But we did the math.
Speaker 3: They're scullies more molders, And it was so bad that at the gosh somewhere in season three, I quit drinking alcohol, and I didn't drink alcohol for a year because I was worried about my health. If I had to, like, that's how many molders there are?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess when you're living, when you're using the drinking game, like in everyday life where you just watch a lot of X files, I can't get out of hand.
Speaker 2: Pretty quickly, no kidding, speaking of getting out of hand.
Speaker 3: The original story here all right, after more than two decades of work, So what did you say?
Speaker 4: It was nineteen thirty seven. Nineteen thirty seven is when the yes when they were discovered.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so nineteen thirty seven. Fast forward twenty years of work at something called the Academy of Prehistory in Beijing. These Chinese archaeologists apparently managed to not only discern these hieroglyphs, but also to translate them. And they say, all right, here's the skinny. These stone discs we have found were carved by aliens who crashed right there on the border of China and Tibet.
Speaker 4: Oh, so these are like the star maps that we're talking about. Or is that the it's like their record of what happened, you know, the way that the way that someone stranded on a desert island marks the time off on the wall or whatever text days are in prison. I guess I just the spiral configuration is interesting to me. I wonder like you mentioned the idea of like grooves on a record, which immediately makes me think, is this some sort of was there potentially a device to decode this beyond what's just on there on the surface, there's actually some embedded hidden message in there?
Speaker 2: Pretty cool? I like where your head's at. Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a guy who publishes, according to the story, all of this translation. His name is sum um Nui. And when he publishes this, all right, here's the idea. He says, we've decoded the hieroglyphics. We're learning an alien spacecraft crashed as you said in this region in western China twelve thousand years ago, and he says, the occupants call themselves the Dropa or the Zopa, and they couldn't repair their spacecraft. They tried to adapt to Earth environments, but they couldn't do it, and local human tribes hunted them down and essentially ended them, killed most of them. The skeletons, with unusually large heads and thin bodies, were pretty short, and apparently they intermarried, according to this translation, with the human population, so you couldn't tell whether who was a human versus who was an alien versus who was a human alien hybrid. When this guy publishes this, everybody thinks his ideas are trash, So the story goes soon leaves for Japan, he exiles himself, and he dies shortly after under mysterious circumstances, well and.
Speaker 4: Presumably shamed, you know, feeling like having been sort of pilloried in this way, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: In nineteen sixty six, Russian magazine called Sputnik republishes this story. This time the author byline is a guy named Vyaschislav Zatsiev, and Zetziev adds some more details to the mix, and he says, look after this stuff was found in China. These disc a lot of them were shipped off to Moscow and Soviet researchers discovered You'll love the story. Soviet researchers discovered the material composition of the disc not just stone. They have a lot of cobalt and other metals. They conduct electricity and here's the part they produce. No, they produce a humming sound when they are placed on a special turn tape.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 4: There is thank you, because man, I gotta say, like I'm a big audiophile, synthesizer, you know, music production nerd. To me, the technology of vinyl and sound reproduction in general, but specifically with vinyl is like magic.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it.
Speaker 4: Like if you you can play a record without an amplification source and just turn it on and stick your ear next to it, to the needle, and you hear a little bit of it, Like you know, I know that sound is just vibration capture, and that you know, an audio recording is just a way of capturing that and replaying it and sort of reproducing it. But that's as far as I can go with like the actual explanation of how that stuff works. And we used to work for a web so I called house Stuff Works, which by the way, has.
Speaker 2: Quite a good article on the dropo Stones in there. It does. Yes, yes, very much. So that is our alma matter.
Speaker 3: And one thing that I've always loved about being able to hang out with you is your your immense knowledge of music and the fact that no matter where we are, no matter what's happening, you know, we're on the road somewhere, we might.
Speaker 2: Go see a film or something.
Speaker 3: If anyone brings up synth or music to my pal Noel Brown, then twenty minutes are done. No, twenty very interesting minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very kind. Now I try to keep it in check, but yeah, I'm a big I'm a big fan.
Speaker 4: I'm a big fan of just technology in general as a tool. And I think this, you know, whether or not it exists, it immediately tickles that part of my brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because the truth maybe out there. The legend grows for reason. Right in nineteen seventy four, again, according to the story, there's this engineer from Austria. Sometimes he's called Ernst Vegarer, sometimes he's called Ernst Wegener, and according to the story, he visits a museum Bampo Museum in Western China, and he sees two of the drop of stones. He asked the museum staff about it, and they shrug, they don't know what they are, but they do allow him to hold a disc to physically, you know, engage with it, and they let him photograph several of these up close. The mystery by nineteen ninety four, these drop a disc are ghosts, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Kaiser sooze themselves especially or at least you know, or were they ever there in.
Speaker 2: The first place.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible story, It's about all It ticks all the boxes of.
Speaker 2: What we love in a good conspiracy tale.
Speaker 4: And I think you know, Ben, you and Matt and I always make it clear that our goal here is not to tell you what to believe, is to dissect the facts, the chatter, you know, what's out there, and then kind of allow people to form their own conclusions. But we all love a good story, and this has the makings of a top notch conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Ancient wisdom from the stars, hidden history, geopolitical.
Speaker 4: Intrigue, Russier line, magical technology. Right, I mean, we agree that Vinyl itself is amazing and magical.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Tonight's question is the story true. We'll put our collective needle into that group when we get back from a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 2: Here's where it gets crazy, Paul, can we have a womp? Womp? We hate to see it.
Speaker 4: This story is not true. Yeah, and apparently JD. Vance also probably didn't have sex with a couch. Oh you're read up on that double womp. It's just, you know, I joke because in this day and age, and this is not a Grandpapa, and this day and age in particular, when information can be disseminated so quickly and sometimes by like not necessarily the best of actors.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, it's real easy for.
Speaker 4: Stories, you know, with questionable providence to be reported as fact.
Speaker 2: And this is, you know, a much older story.
Speaker 4: So it would have taken a lot more doing to get this to proliferate in that same way, and yet proliferate it did, probably largely because it's just so damn interesting.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It looks like a pair of science writers essentially made a speculative article and it got expanded upon by an unknown writer who published published this story under a pseudonym in nineteen sixty two. Whoever was behind this story? Appears to have taken a couple of swings at the plate because the time they published it what you called it the drop of summer, the brad summer, Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Sixty four right.
Speaker 3: He pushes it out, or this person pushes out the story multiple times and it gets rewritten and rewritten. There is a clue in the text that lets us know that he is essentially re doing a soft reboot they would call it in Hollywood, because our buddy Chi Poote, who discovers the disc. Originally it's described as happening forty five years before the article, right nineteen thirty seven, and then when they republish whomever this prankster is, they don't change that timeline. So now our guy, the archaeologist from China is doing his expedition in nineteen thirty nine. Accuracy is not.
Speaker 4: Is not the primary mission of this article, and we've got to.
Speaker 2: Give a big shout out to our friends. A bad archaeology.
Speaker 4: Well, as my mother used to say, never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.
Speaker 2: That's true. She has said that. Yeah, she said that a lot actually, but that's right.
Speaker 4: Bad archaeology put it like this, I think, really succinctly. It seems that nineteen sixty four was a better year for tall tales involving crash UFOs as the story was taken up in a variety of publications. So even though this did in this time, there are people would a good story. It's spreadable, it's shareable. You know, everyone wants to be the one that shares that crazy story and be the first person you heard it from, whether you're a human being or a publication. Continuing, it was through one of these that Vaya she sheslov Zeitsev's popularization made it known to a wider world, including the up and coming Eric von Dannikin.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, Yeah, the author of Chariots of the Gods several other stories, was up and coming. It was a real up and comer. He was the Kendrick of his time in the world of ancient alien folklore. And look, when you read Chariots of the Gods, which is a good read, it is very much not accurate. It is very in my opinion, speculative, if I'm being diplomatic. When you read this kind of stuff, you will see a narrative suggesting that all of the works of modern human society are broken remnants of a much more evolved and sophisticated civilization from the stars. This is where you see like the pictures of old stone carvings, woodcuts, you know, that appear to depict UFOs or visits from godlike entities. The issue with the dropa stones is and this is why I love that you brought up jd Vance. Okay, so jd Vance had love the guy or hate the guy has been targeted by a disinfo campaign, the idea being that beat me here, Paul, he latex glove that was tucked into a couch, that was tucked into a couch, right, you call it double fiefee right there?
Speaker 2: Wait? Is that real?
Speaker 4: A fife is an improvised sexual implements. One could argue, yeah, And one could argue that a glove combined with a couch would be it would be a double yeah or maybe now maybe maybe when their powers combined.
Speaker 5: It's so the idea Here's why this is a great comparison that we've made here because the original story about upholstery.
Speaker 2: Intimacy. Wow, I walked down for that one. That was good, That was very diplomatic. Thanks the idea here, uh for JD. Vance.
Speaker 3: It came from a tweet that sounded very authoritative. It said this is from Hillbilly Elegy here. Yeah, exactly, and credit to our our buddy Miles from Daily's Eye Geys. Miles Gray pointed out how excellent that misinformation was and.
Speaker 4: That it wasn't it was reported by a seemingly reputable source.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: And then repeated by other seemingly reputable because it appeared to be credible, right, And most people don't read the books that they claim to, you know that they claimed to sit.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's just a fact of the modern day. And in this comparison with current political candidate JD. Vance and Couch Sex, we see we see the same story happening with the dropa Stones because the closer you look, the more the evidence disappears. Turns out there are no records of any of the archaeologists or any of the scholars mentioned in the original story except in that story.
Speaker 4: And Ben, I'd love to really quickly go back to the idea of the Dropeu just as like an actual facts, real civilization, because that's thing, right, like they were a nomadic, hurting society or civilization based in the Tibetan plateau. But I believe there were connections in the reporting saying that they were like of below average stature, that they were like pigmy or something like that. But that even isn't entirely accurate or accurate at all.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, and we know, Look, we know a little bit from our episode on giants in an earlier evening. We know a little bit about the average human height. Right, some people in the world will tend to be taller than people in other regions. And the Dropka, as you said, are are a real people. They do live in Tibet. That the name translates to inhabitants of high pasture lands.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know there could only be one there are tractually obplicated highland directly. Can we also talk about the fact that I'm getting I'm just looking at some different perspectives, like maybe from like you know, Internet sleuthy types, redditors or whatever. Like A big question here in terms of like some things not passing the smell test is the idea that alone linguists could single handedly decode something like this in such a short period of time, when typically to decode ancient texts and languages and things like that. It'll take teams of academic departments, you know, can can take years. I mean it's sort of the equivalent of decoding a cipher where you don't have the key right. Like it's it requires all kinds of permutations and you know, calculations, and I mean, again, it's not my wheelhouse in my field, but that seems suspiciously easy, Like it was suspiciously easy to have done using the magnifying right.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful point.
Speaker 3: Also, Uh, there is I love this Kaiser's so's a comparison because.
Speaker 2: There is no sum um.
Speaker 3: Nui, the translator that, to your point, had these amazing skills to decode an alien language. First off, sum um Nui is not a real Chinese name. You know, my Mandarin is rusty, but I can tell you it's not a real Chinese name.
Speaker 4: It's actually a company that makes coffee mugs.
Speaker 2: And was coming up with his yarn. He was just looking at stuff around the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny because I recently rewatched Usual Suspects.
Speaker 2: I did too, did.
Speaker 4: You I did? Yeah, and I thought it. I thought it held up marvelously.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think I maybe mentioned this in the past, but I had occasion to visit with Kevin Pollack. He used to have a podcast us on our network, like right the Comedy, but he may still be on our network. But I would do his house with a colleague of ours, Doug Bottom, the lovely dude who helps us with audio and runs our audio department in LA and like hooked up dropbox for him and just it was the first time I ever was showing what a crow nut was. He like, got this box of pastries and he's like, here, have a crow nut. I'm like, what is this mystical pastry that you're handing me? Guy from the Usual Suspects, and man, that guy can act his butt off, and all of those Usual Suspects really put in a stellar performance. I think it's a real fun movie. But unfortunately that director is mega canceled. But the you know artist, yeah, he was the one having like, oh gosh, Brian Singer, he was having like.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 4: So that was his first big breakout hit. And it's still a great film, but not a good guy. I just have to put that out there. Still love the film, love everybody in it.
Speaker 2: And yes we know about the spacey stuff folks.
Speaker 4: Of course forgot he was yeah, yeah, sorry jes Louise. Are there any good people in Hollywood? Yes, Tom Baum, and please Tom Hanks. Please Tom Hanks. Don't come out as some sort of secret dexter actually dexter.
Speaker 2: Man. Tom Hanks is.
Speaker 3: I've never met him, he seems to approach I respect that his first great love is typewriters.
Speaker 4: That's right, and that he loves his embarrassing son Chet just as much as his.
Speaker 2: His non disappointing son call it so.
Speaker 3: I love that It's funny though, because to your to your example there if it turned out, and Tom, if you're hearing this, I hope you are not offended and take this in the spirit with which it is intended. If I heard that Tom Hanks had murdered a number of people over a period of years, my first question would not be something bad about Tom.
Speaker 2: They do deserve it, exactly, would be.
Speaker 4: It would be more of a dexter scenario. That would be immediately what my brain would turn to. Yeah, benevolent, you know what's the word, vigilante, serial killer?
Speaker 2: But no, we do love you. Talk the forest gout for the greater good exactly. Let's take a quick pause.
Speaker 4: Here, here a work more sponsor, and then come back with more discussion of the dropa stones.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't know, Ben, I'm I think this is a fun pick just for like a kind of a conspiracy, an old conspiracy chestnut that does deserve a little bit of picking apart. But it's also we have to remind ourselves. One reason we love doing the show is that a lot of these stories, whether true or not, are fun to talk about, and we love good stories. And you know you mentioned Chariots of the Gods, right, Chariots of the Gods. So is that book published with the presumption that it is true or is it kind oflative in its nature? Like, yeah, what the line is on stuff like that when it comes to publishing fact VI fiction?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, at least when it first came out and I read it, it was published as though it is one hundred percent on the line of nonfiction. We've got a guy just saying, hey, look at this, look at these pictures. Here's my interpretation of this evidence. And then they play the if then game, right, so they kind of branch out on the what ifs, and it was not ever it was not ever depicted by the author as though it were fiction. We also know that the news agency cited in all the publications about the dropa Stones, the original Asian news outfit doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: You can't find it.
Speaker 3: The story just kept getting published and republished with these convenient, true sounding citations, and along the way, as we always say in folklore, people kept adding their new pet conspiracies.
Speaker 2: But they're a little spin on it.
Speaker 3: And there has never been a Beijing Academy for Ancient Studies. There are no records of the original Chinese archaeologist who has cited all the stories that feature these folks. Also do a thing that can help you discern fact from fiction. When a person's name is spelled one way in one version of a.
Speaker 2: Story that always gives me pauses.
Speaker 3: In slightly different way in another. You know, when it's like bold nown or something, and then Noel Brown into two stories claiming, you know this guy has the ability?
Speaker 2: What's a superpower? You want? Autism? It's a joke. SpongeBob was recently discussed.
Speaker 4: Tom Kenny, the voice of SpongeBob, was asked by a young autistic fan whether SpongeBob was autistic and he replied, of course he is, and that's his superpower, just like this. It was a really sweet thing to say. And I mentioned it to a mutual friend of ours and she replied, obviously, is that news?
Speaker 2: But I just thought it was really sweet that he said that. Yeah, shout out to Casper.
Speaker 3: And this is okay, So if someone if you're reading a story that claims an amazing thing, and in one version of the story it's Bowl Down and in another version of the story it's Noel Brown, and there are a couple of extra you know, Shyamala and plot twist added to make it juicier than you know, this story is suspect the photos that this Austrian engineer appears to have taken. The weird thing is those photos are genuine, or at least there are stone disc that do exist with a hole cut in the center, just like a record, and there are double spirals on those disc But dude, they're not from aliens. They're from a human group that worshiped.
Speaker 4: Snakes, okay, like, which is even weird snake god Glican. Perhaps I just know what's his name, Alan Moore, the Bearded wizard of comics. Yeah, supposedly worships a stone snake god. And I don't remember if he made it up or if it's a story classic Alan accurate. Yeah, like has an interesting fella. I have a I want to pop back really quickly to the idea of like fact versus fiction and publishing, and like, it's almost similar to the argument that is being really put front and center with the whole baby reindeer thing. It's like, is it based on a true story or is it a true story?
Speaker 2: And then that language ultimately matters. It made me think of the book.
Speaker 4: Holy Blood, Holy Grail Ah Yes, which is like again would be presented by the author, which is we actually interviewed his daughter way back if you go into the archive, Michael Bagent in addition to Richard Lee and Henry Lincoln, but we interviewed Baigent's daughter, if I remember correctly, that's quite a few years ago. But it purported to have a some information, or at least it laid forth a kind of theory about, you know, certain secret societies and the providence of Jesus and Mary Magdalene and the sacred royal bloodline that Mary Magdalene was.
Speaker 2: The mother of.
Speaker 4: And the book was largely like crapped on hardcore by historians and you know, scholars of this type of history. But one of the writers had this to say, Yeah, I guess all of them maybe collectively released us in a statement, but they compared what they were doing in the book to the reporters who uncovered the Watergate scan and they have this to say that only through speculative synthesis can one discern the underlying continuity, the unified and coherent fabric which lies at the core of any historical problem. Okay, it's interesting, it's interesting like this, but I think it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's well put.
Speaker 4: They go on to say that to do so, one must realize that it's not sufficient to confine oneself exclusively to facts.
Speaker 2: It is a slippery slope. I think speculation. Again, that's a lot of what we do here on the show.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, with an utter absence of facts, is speculation enough? And are you really just kind of spinning your own wheels?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: We've run into it through the course of our careers together, you know, Like I remember I would send some crazy story and say we should do this, and Matt and you would I remember you guys texted me one time.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 4: The oh, the very weird cursed record story we did Uh for sorrow Bread our short lived radio theater company.
Speaker 2: I can't even and nolded all the production on this. I want to do more of that. That's so fun.
Speaker 4: Now that I've got all the beet boob machines here, I love to just like live improv a crazy spooky synth.
Speaker 2: Let's make it happen. And now check that out, folks.
Speaker 3: We do, we have done, and we'll do more fiction on stuff they want you to know. But to that excellent point about well put bs, I remember when you and Matt had to sit down with me and to ask me, hey, how much of this story is true? Because it just it sounded plausible enough, right, It's based on an urban legend, et cetera. Gosh, I'm just I really love the production on that one.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh, I appreciate it. I'm gonna go revisit that.
Speaker 4: But it also makes me think of some things that we've experienced in pop culture too, where it's like, again based on a true story, this is a true story. The marketing behind say a Blair Witch project situation where it's put out kind of almost like we're not saying it's a documentary exactly. They may well have, though I can't remember. It was just a really interesting role out for a film. A lot of people went to see it thinking it was real, and that they thought it was real is what made it as scary as it was. And maybe you could argue that if you go in watching it knowing it's just a movie, it's just a bunch of shaky cam and people crying in the snotty nose and stuff.
Speaker 2: But like if you really.
Speaker 4: Thought it was real and you were seeing a genuine artifact of someone being hunted by a malevolent spirits or witch or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, hell yeah, that's creepy.
Speaker 4: But the barrier to entry is much lower at that true, and I feel like that applies to the type of stuff as well.
Speaker 3: Ooh perfect, did you hear that, fellow conspiracy realist. This is how you bring a show back, right, This.
Speaker 2: How you bring it back to the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Friday, we're having a good time. Our buddy Matt's on vacation. We're riffing and raffing it up a little bit. But no, I really enjoyed this topic this is red meat for us, and I think we're like, you know, to use another like dogs with bones. I wish was real too, And that's where we come from with a lot of these discussions, is from a place of that old, moldered thing. We want to believe, you know, and we we do. We're not parade peers, you know, we really we have a deep love for this stuff. And I think we all want some Matt magic to exist in the universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just so uh And for anybody who's wondering, my pal Nole's favorite superhero is probably Doctor Strange.
Speaker 2: Correct, Doctor Strange, Love Doctor Strange. Okay, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 3: The fact that we want there to be magic in the world. We want these extraordinary things. That is part of why it is important for us to think critically about things that are not true. And sadly, it looks as though the drop a stone case is another instance of a story that sounds intriguing and just plausible enough for people to repeat it ad nauseum without really diving into the facts. Obviously, we want all this stuff to be real. A single genuine case would absolutely make our day. A single genuine ancient alien case we could probably retire.
Speaker 4: Absolutely just you know, I'd probably drop that out of sheer joy. But what we do get though, whether or not these things are true, is that they leave a lasting impact on culture. Whether or not they actually were real or not, it almost doesn't matter sometimes. And we also often talk about how oftentimes the mystery is cooler than the solution, like you know, with the Georgia guidestones and things like that, where it's like, let let's leave a little mystery in the world. But what I was referring to specifically with this one is a video game that I believe I referenced on a video we did a while back and we were kind of talking about books they don't want you to read or whatever. It's a game called Outer Wilds, and it involves these ancient artifacts and stones left behind by an alien an ancient alien civilization, and you're this explorer and you have to collect all of these all this data and decode these messages and stuff. And I'd be very surprised if the creators of Outer Wilds, which is a really smart, weird little game, an indie type game, didn't know about this story influenced by it in some way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's a fantastic point because what we're talking about here is folklore essentially, and the purpose of folklore is to somehow explain the world. But we also see in the story of like everything from Jack and the Beanstalk to the Drope of Stones, what these stories really tell us is more about ourselves, sort of like how any good disguise is an autobiography of the person wearing the disguise.
Speaker 4: It's fair, it's a little weird for a Friday, but or oftentimes in political rhetoric it gets really heated. If someone's talking a lot of smack it oftentimes they're accusing the other person of what they themselves are guilty exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I read it one time in a pithy way. Every accusation is a confession.
Speaker 4: It can be if you're not careful, or if you're just kind of like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thrown spaghetti at a wall? No, but I really need to get on that. It seems like a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: But there are easier ways to see if your spaghetti is al dente.
Speaker 2: You don't necessarily have to throw it at the wall.
Speaker 3: I did it one No, I did it a couple times, just to see, but just see what, just to see. But that is our show for this evening. The drop of Stones, as far as we can tell, are a hoax. That does not mean other stuff is not true. We're grateful that you have tuned in here. We'll be back very soon with some more explorations. Disappearing billionaires, Nazi whispers, genuine conspiracies join us in separating the fact from the fiction. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 2: Find us on the Internet of the handle conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook, where we have our Facebook group.
Speaker 4: Here's where it gets crazy. On x nay fka Twitter, we exist at that handle as well, in addition to YouTube, where you can find video content coming at you on the.
Speaker 2: Regular, on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: However, we are Conspiracy Stuff Show, and if you would like to call us, you can do so. A number of years ago we set up a telephone line just for all our fellow conspiracy realists. The number is one eight three three std WYTK. When you call that number, you'll hear, hopefully a familiar voice, and then a beep like so beep. You'll have three minutes. Those three minutes are yours. Go hand, go hog wild, go a third reference. Just for like rule of three, give us your give us your real name, Give us a moniker you're comfortable with. Let us know if we can use your name and or message on the air. Most importantly, do not censor yourself. If you have a story that needs more than three minutes. If you have links, if you have photographs, send them to us. Take us to the edge of the rabbit hole, and we will do the rest. All you have to do is drop us a line at our good old fashioned email address where we are conspiracy atiheartradio dot com.
Speaker 4: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.