Speaker 1: Look Mayer, Oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, goodness wow, Lost Culture ding dong, Lost Culture races calling excuse my chewing friend.
Speaker 2: I'm just over here, you know, masticating on my trail mix. And we're very happy to have you guys masticate us in this bonus episode, just a.
Speaker 3: Little early, I guess, a little bonus episode. There was pressing matters that we needed to get into the studio to address. One being We just recorded the categories for the Lost Culture Raceless Culture Awards this year and those will be revealed on May third, May third, this Friday, Friday, May third, and publish the season, I guess has truly begun.
Speaker 2: May is published season. The weather's nice. You want to go out there, hit the street, knock on doors, knock on doors, you know, wave your flags, babe, get your freak flag out. Flag it because it's published this season. It's actually a real culture number nine. Get your free flag out, flag it. It's published the season.
Speaker 3: We are You're never gonna believe it, but giggling and tittling away, we think we've really done something this year with some of these categories. I mean, I'm thinking of one right now, and just thinking of the possibilities in flux of campaigning that's going to happen for so many But we can't say too much.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's almost too exciting, I would agree. I think it's really really thrilling. That Lost culture is I don't know, like we're out there.
Speaker 3: We're out there. Lost culture is officially out there. Okay, so listen, the true truth, the true true, as was said in the movie Cloud out Lists. Did you ever see the movie Cloud out Lists?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 3: Did I think you would actually like it in a way where like you'd be sort of like throwing your hands up and knee slapping. Did you guys know that Bowen Yang is a knee slapper. He's a table hitter in a n ee slapper, And I really I don't like knee slapping. There is something really annoying and I really dislike this about myself that I'm a table slapper, because if you're at a table with other people, it does first of all, it makes so much noise to a distracting extent.
Speaker 2: Second of all, like it's so it's it feels like such a performance. But I really do slap the table because I.
Speaker 1: Do you're enjoying.
Speaker 2: I can see it is like, oh, like, how do I get this out of my system?
Speaker 3: Your body experience is so much joy it has to come out. And I think what people also don't know about you is Bowen Yang's roger.
Speaker 1: His stones are on his palms.
Speaker 3: No, if you ever want to get him on, just like Hi, I'm Susan and shake his hand. I'm not not that open, not that like oh that, Oh god, you ever kept yourself going like that?
Speaker 2: You're ast Oh I never want to see my O face. I no one ever, I hope no one ever takes a picture or films me.
Speaker 1: You know what, I just.
Speaker 3: Realized the O face I always thought meant orgasm face, but literally they mean the fact that you're mouth makes the I think it's still Do you think it's multipurpose? Do you think it's a thing of like O faces, like, oh, like my face is making the face by the way we're doing each other in the eyes, and.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's too intimate for us. I think it's I think or orgasm face.
Speaker 2: I think it's very apropos of the subject matter that we're gonna be talking about. One think they are a little have the walls of intimacy knockdown.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, you guys. This was the other pressing matter. So I feel that, you know, we've been so good about the culture and the catching up, like it's always been the two of us for the past like several months, I feel like, but sometimes it can feel like the culture is a little dry and for the next few weeks we're gonna have guests, so it's not gonna be culture catch up. But we saw the movie Challengers, and I was like, no, we have to convene to the studio with us. We have to convene. This was maybe my favorite movie, my favorite movie ever I've seen. It's I went on Thursday and Friday I went again immediately. We saw it together on Friday. Can you describe what happened at the end, Like with the audience.
Speaker 2: Just sheers, screams please you have to go see this in the theater?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really do.
Speaker 2: And you know what, like it was a chatty crowd, especially behind us, there was some chatter going on and like all we did this, this person I think literally dined out on us, like turning around and respectfully telling them just once an hour and a half in in the movie to just Hey. All I said was you can stop. That's what I said. I said, three words, you did. You were very good about it.
Speaker 3: And then I think that she was a little lit up from having been that person.
Speaker 2: But honestly, I think that's what is that, that's what she was going for. That's what I don't want to get. I don't want to give too much airtime to this person.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: She literally went out to animal after the movie, and our friend Colin texted, I said, this girl I'm talking to is bragging to everybody how you guys yelled at her. And I'm I'm like, yeah, because her personality fucking sucks confirmed, I mean whatever.
Speaker 3: She was one of the many small characters that popped during the experience of watching challenges, even the ones I cared about were on screen.
Speaker 2: Even she could not get in the way of my experience of loving this movie.
Speaker 3: No, And I think that, like it's been a while where the entire audience exploded in shearers at the end of a movie. Off by the way, a polarizing ending and an ending that makes a huge choice, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I was reading some of like the headlines going into the movie, like the ending, the ending, the ending, Like all these explainers something like, is this gonna be a confusing, confounding ending? And I really I think it's pretty legible. No, it's not confusing at all. I think it's just I'm gonna actually call it Thelma and Louisa ish in the not that extreme. But there's something that happens that you just don't see coming and is sort of out of left field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it rock. I loved it for me.
Speaker 3: It pays off so much. I saw the cinema score as B plus, which now that feels so low. But the way that you can kind of gaze is from yes, from the ending end, because it's the last thing I seen before they're asked, what did you think of the grade?
Speaker 1: Would you give it to me?
Speaker 3: If you love the ending, it's gonna be canon for you, And if you hate it, I feel like I can understand you being like, no, I wanted it to be different just for me, and I'm seeing for you too, perfect ending. What a script like this is a tight, bold, always interesting, always fun, sexy, sort.
Speaker 2: Of giving timeless script. In many ways, it's very timeless. I mean that screenplay, like we talked about it afterwards. I love a post movie if you're with your friends, a post film sort of salon at a bar, a restaurant. I had that with Josh after we saw Parasite for the first time. We were like, we need to go somewhere and talk about this. Yeah, And like I loved that part of the experience, right. I love that we all went out like afterwards and we're like, we need to discuss this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like I was telling everybody, I was like I in the theater was like, I need to read the screenplay.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the first thing you said.
Speaker 2: What it ends is specifically the moment when you know it kind of like turns into the ending. Basically, it's kind of like someone call it an act break. Structurally depending on who you ask. The way this whole thing is executed is so I mean, that's just Luca and Justin Kurtzky is doing it like so perfectly together, like a director really respecting and exalting the script.
Speaker 3: And taking the time to really know the script as a director, and like it just felt so lived in. I mean, I think Luca Guada, you know, is the best. I mean for me, it's just like, what's so incredible about him is he's just so good with character because on the page, like I can see these being tough characters to play. Zendeia, Josh O'Connor and Mike Feist, the three of them are perfect.
Speaker 1: Yes, Zindeia is just smun What even is it?
Speaker 3: It's just like it is an intangible movie star quality where I was watching it and I was just so happy the whole time. I was like, Wow, here's someone who I see everything she does to me. She's like going forward the way that I feel about like or I'm sure people felt in the beginning about like Sandra Bullock like or like a Julia Yes, but different because she's not giving the rom com thing. She's giving a different vibe. She's just so good. There are so many moments in this movie and I don't want to ruin anything where you realize just how well she knows this person and it's tough.
Speaker 1: It's just it all pays off. It's hot as shit.
Speaker 3: Everyone in the movie is gorgeous, but in a real looking way, not in like this like intangible movie star way, which is not a nock to them, but everyone feels specific, real, lived in like you can laugh the whole time. You can also watch it as a drama. It's just it's there's so much going on. Yeah, I mean she kind of was the draw for me. Well, they said this, so they pulled the audience after everyone left, and I said, what was the number one reason I was reading this? It was a Deadline article about it, and fifty five percent said the reason that they saw the movie. The primary reason why I saw the movie was Zindya. And we left and I was like, people are going to talk about this movie. I think this is going to be a sleeper summer big one if they decide to keep it in theaters, and I know there's already a plan for it to go to Amazon Prime. I get the appeal of that. You're like, oh, that's a movie I can watch on Amazon Prime. Do yourself a favor and go to this theater, like have this like particular like cathartic experience that happens with the movie theater.
Speaker 1: Like it's also that it almost felt like.
Speaker 3: Watching a horror movie with an audience, and that everyone was reacting to every yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: She just she's such a home run and it's so interesting to hear her talk about impressed. Like, first of all, she's been doing a lot all of it, but in these I think she's being very real and vulnerable in these moments where she's like, no, I'm very nervous about this because this is my first time leading a movie technically, and.
Speaker 1: Like porton roll for her, wow, And I hadn't thought of that.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I guess between like Spider Man and Euphoria, you're like, she has not been number one on.
Speaker 1: The call sheet.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a real movie for a film, for a film, Yeah, for Euphoria, that's more of an ensemble even Yeah, Euphoria is very ensemble. She's obviously the star of it, so she has had that. But this is a huge part for her because she has to not only be number one on the call sheet and sell this movie, but also it's a tough character, tough character walk. So much of it is internal. That character does not have that much dialogue if you think about it, especially that moment in the end where I want to like see how it's written on the page, Like all three of them have something internal, like I switched flips in them. Internally, It's like a tennis match between three and three people. It's yeah, and it's actually written that way. So I actually did start reading the script. I found it Patrick sent it to me house and he sent it to me, and it's written actually pretty differently than he looks on the screen. Like it's just interesting, Like I wonder Luca is obviously just very clear about what he wants and like how he sees something, because you could read the script and it could kind of read and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it could kind of read like a total drama or what not even that like more of like a comedy, like more of like a frilly comedy, like for example, like when Zendiya in the very beginning. Okay, so this is not a spoiler, but I'm just gonna describe her attitude in the very beginning.
Speaker 1: So Zendia plays like this woman who's.
Speaker 3: Like pretty tough, she's pretty brash, Like she delivers information like pretty straight up, you know what I mean. And I think on the page that could come off a little bit like more one dimensional in like a comedy way.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Where it could be like she just she serves this purpose in the script to like be hard and cold and the coach and like, yeah, the information she delivers could be read as like just solely comedic, but Zendia and Luca are giving her so much texture. And in the very beginning of the movie she doesn't even have a lot of speaking in the beginning, but you know exactly who she is. And that's a testament to Luca and Zendiya. And I'm telling you, like every character in some way is like that. It just could have been not as real. Yeah, And that's like one of my biggest compliments is that everyone in this movie is super real. And I'm not even just talking about the three leads. I mean all the small characters are memorable and pop because of the detail.
Speaker 2: M hm, you know what I'm saying. It's kind of cool what I was thinking about. The writer justin Kurtzky's like Selene Song's husband. Yeah, and it's just like he is kind of that guy in Past Lives essentially, like he has been like there's been a stand in for him in one of her movies. That would make you kind of like that character is so fascinating in Past Lives to me, like the guy she ends up with, like the American guy that she ends up that she meets like on like a fellowship sort of like, and they do the same thing in the movie.
Speaker 1: They do the same thing in the movie. That's how I think they met through that.
Speaker 3: I think, well, even if it's not directly that they met at like something like that, they do have the same profession right right when. And I was wondering if that was I'm not sure, I don't recall, but anyway, I just love that he like has this film is like something that exists, like sort of oh my god, that kind of like it speaks to past lives in a way to me, Like I'm like, oh, like, the guy is this amazingly talented writer in his own right.
Speaker 1: I just found that interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, that is kind of interesting how the movie speak to each other. Yeah, past lives and challengers you have something in women, two guys, one girl or whatever not. You know, I was kind of thinking of it as May December coded. No, it's past live coded. Definitely past lives coded. But when I was leaving, I was like, so that felt like May December to me. And in that it's about three characters in this sort of triangular relationship and all of them are very morally gray, Yes, and I think that there's also like a tug of war that's happening here.
Speaker 1: Just really interesting. And I want more movies like that.
Speaker 2: I know, so bad, like those three movies that we just talked about, like real drama, real stakes in relationship, an interesting character. This is why I'm like, please go see this movie in the theater. Please let them know that this is something we want more of, because this is actually good stuff. Yeah, really good, really compelling. Makes you think. I bet people have different reads on all these characters at a given time, of course, because that screenplay is giving the audience just enough of a question mark to like fill in their own lengths and stuff. Yeah, Trent Reznor Aleicus Ross that come on one of the I think that's their best score.
Speaker 1: I made a.
Speaker 3: Summer playlist called Beautiful Blonde, care Free Summa, and I immediately added yeah times ten yeah, which is the song that plays when Zendeia is introduced as a young tennis pro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, that needs to be on my big beautiful summer, big blonde beautiful. It's not big blone beautiful summer. I'm not big blonde and beautiful like the Harris Price soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am big one and beautiful anyway, Yeah, I put it on my summer playlist.
Speaker 1: I was like, that is a this whole thing is a vibe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We were just listening to it. Actually, I know I was playing, let this be part of the lore for Lost Culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When we were putting together the categories, I was playing the entirety of the Challengers.
Speaker 1: Yes, and our brains were working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look I felt very, very activated.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I think it's in describing these three films. I think there is something going on in the culture now where the triangle is.
Speaker 1: The triangles back to. It's the year of the threesome, of the threesome. It's the year.
Speaker 3: Of the weird relationship between three people.
Speaker 1: MM know it.
Speaker 3: No, if anyone out there has instincts, follow them destroy your relationship by bringing in a chaotic third.
Speaker 1: Look, we do it now.
Speaker 2: You and I have a little chaotic third in our mits, little Studie.
Speaker 1: Green running around.
Speaker 3: Absolute but no, honestly, Like, one thing I really liked about it was it was really casual about how these two straight quote unquote straight.
Speaker 1: Guys made out. Were like, oh yeah, well they fully like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a spoiler to say it goes somewhere between them, because it's just really fun the way that they did it, where there was no weird homophobia.
Speaker 1: That wasn't even in the movie.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even in the air it was I never thought for one second like, oh, this is gonna be weird because they're two guys.
Speaker 2: But it serves a purpose in the characterization and in the story. It's like the moment that this thing happens, it is purely still center around the other character. Yes, it completely speaks to like the way this character like sees these two people and like the way she wants to manipulate them. It's like so good. It's not gratuitous. It's not like, oh God, are we like jerking into two guys kissing, Like is that what's going on here?
Speaker 1: No, it's so important.
Speaker 3: I think what's so fucking great about this movie is you understand, like when you really think about it afterwards, like what Zendaya's character, Tashi Duncan, by the way, great fucking name, Tashi Duncan, what her desire is is to just watch dynamics. She just like she thrives off watching that push and pull between other people, like and she likes to be a part of it herself. Like I don't know, it's just it's a fascinating character.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the tennis of it all like really works in not in a heavy handed way, you know what I mean, because sometimes it's like, oh, they're dueling over her, like it's a tennis match, Like I can see that on paper, being like her, But it works so well, like all the little micro metaphors in tennis as a thing, like the fact that like the script works as this story of their life, which honestly, in many ways has been a volley back and forth, like at the act breaks, like they follow this one tennis match that's happening in the present day, and they flash back in different parts of time, and the act breaks like always go back to the tennis match, and that person who's winning in the relationship is winning in the game. Like just fun little things like that that work.
Speaker 2: The match point of it is like so perfect, like yeah, there's something final to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't feel like pat and it feels like thrilling and it works and it you know, it's like any really good sports movie you're invested. But I mean, any really good sports movie is angering that to emotions and to stakes, because obviously the stakes are they gonna win and lose, but the fact that the relationship stakes are so much higher that leads into the ending. It's just it is the perfect version of this kind of movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I do love that Tashi character, like literally loving launching the dynamics to the point where she is like has the notebook out, watching replay on all the games, taking notes, writing down numbers.
Speaker 1: You're like, this is all she cares about.
Speaker 2: It's not just like in the script it's like, oh, all she cares about his tennis, but it is actually more about the meta game. She cares about the meta game. She literally is playing a meta game over the course of many, many years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also just the focus that he keeps on her as the lead while also like fully flushing out these two other characters. Like there's like I just said, the frame of the movie is this one tennis match that's happening in the present day of the film, and Zendeia has no dialogue. She's just sitting there watching the game. Yeah, but he as the director and she has the actress are so good that you know emotionally where she is at in a small way and in a larger way the entire higher time, like just the shots, the editing, the editing must be like given accolades here, Yes, because it is really tense, really fun, really engrossing and you don't miss anything. Like the things that are iconic about this movie are based in character and script and such as the.
Speaker 2: Ball and they're all very intimate. Yes, and it's and tennis is kind of an intimate game. I mean not kind of it. It literally is an intimate game between two people max four or whatever. But like your arenas are smaller than like any other sport. But like the big moments like let's say, like you know them all making out in the hotel room, right, that is small. That is a Blood Orange music video literally like Blood Orange is playing in the background like diegetically, like playing from someone's phone. And so Josh Sharp says, well, that song came out in twenty in twenty thirteen, so eighteen years later, the movie takes place in the present day of twenty thirty one. Oh my god, yeah, he caught a little get caught that said, oh, you know, what's great about that scene too, like that when they start hooking up altogether, is.
Speaker 3: It's literally born out of a conversation that we watch happen. It's like, what's so great about that scene is you understand why it goes there because they've just had this conversation that's really disarming and charming.
Speaker 2: Yes, and sexy, and but she plays that so like the genius. She's getting them to say all of these really kind of embarrassing things they're sharing. They're sharing stories about the first time they've like jerked off and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's like she's getting them. She's perfect.
Speaker 2: She has this ferocity where she gets them to like spill and then she like the puppet strings are there from the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yes, And what is so different about that than other things that get sort of like, you know, this reputation for being like salacious or like whatever is It's like you're not just walking someone walk up to someone in a backyard and then.
Speaker 1: Eating their pussy. They're on their period, right, know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like you're actually like watching why this unfold and it's believable, Like it's not just this stunty thing of like, oh, he's fucking a grave not to keep dragging this movie. But this is why, this is why the script really matters, is because we're seeing it executed in a way that's born out of character, and therefore we actually are scandalized and actually we can remember this in a real way, in a way that can emotionally.
Speaker 1: Work for us.
Speaker 2: Speaking of character, because I've heard you say this and I really think around to something talk about how even the quote unquote minor characters in this film are so impactful, Sean you remember them.
Speaker 1: It's all in the details, all the details.
Speaker 2: It's all the performances, down to the woman who like registers Josh O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a detail about everyone. Yeah, and this is what I'm saying. It's like, so in the.
Speaker 2: Very first the gay couple at the hotel, there's a gay couple in a hotel who have like a hilarious like two line exchange and there's something that like one of them the other on the back and the sound editing.
Speaker 3: You really hear the slash, which is so funny to me, Like for example, like there's a woman who's checking him into the one of the actors, one of the characters rather into the tennis tournament, and it's about a million other things just besides that transaction that's a guess.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is totally there is.
Speaker 3: So much color and detail and the director doesn't cut any of it. I understand sometimes why you just want to get to information in movies, like and things should move, but information, character and detail matters.
Speaker 1: It's like kind of like why they say, like.
Speaker 3: In a romantic movie, spend time on us watching them fall in love, you know what I mean, don't just be like they met there in a relationship. Honestly, there's movies I could drag that do this, but I won't detail matters like relationship matters, like things that you might deem as superfluous because they're not quote unquote moving story forward. Like we didn't need to watch the woman that worked at the hotel struggle with the snack machine.
Speaker 1: What do you call that? Oh yeah, the vending machine. Like we didn't need that, but like it did help.
Speaker 3: We watched the interaction and he couldn't get a room, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know, it's just little things. The character of the year for me is Helen. Helen's a Tinder date that Josh O'Connor goes on and.
Speaker 2: It's from the moment you see here on the phone screen Haley Gates.
Speaker 3: Haley Gates, we went to college with her. I was so shook when I realized it was her.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she was it. I think that's the comedy performance of the year.
Speaker 1: We were screaming, laughing. It was just so funny.
Speaker 3: It's so good, this performance of trying to be interesting on a tinder date but you're not. Like and also like where that scene ultimately goes again, this is another character that's in one scene of the movie, maybe seven lines of dialogue.
Speaker 2: It's giving Sandra and the Princess diaries. Yes it is, say it anyway, like, I mean, what else. The boys are fucking amazing. Boys are amazing. Josh O'Connor would have won the Melanie Lynsky Award for Best Fake American Accident and anything.
Speaker 1: Honestly teamless less. He's so talented, he's so good.
Speaker 3: And Mike Feist I have been officially one over, like I fucking loved in West Side Story. Now I'm like, oh yeah, I'm on board forever.
Speaker 1: Huh. And also just like how comfortable they were with each other.
Speaker 3: You bought that best friendship from the beginning, and guess what, because of the details and because of how much we believed it in the beginning, that really helped when the relationship got difficult and dark and nonexistent, Like because the relationship details really matter, Like it matters how close they sit together, it matters them sharing food, It matters like how quickly they walk places together, like you know what I mean, Like the way that they sort of match each other in energy, like laying back and like watching her play tennis at the same time, like the way they exist sharing a hotel room. You know, it's just so many things that are specific and great that are to be loved about this movie.
Speaker 2: And it's so fucking gay without trying, and it's so fucking sexy without even really showing one exact sacccene. You don't see any sex scenes, you see making out, you see like the suggestions of something starting and you see that something has ended. You don't see any fucking.
Speaker 1: In this revie.
Speaker 3: And it's still the horniest, hottest movie of the year and the gayest something about it's not the gayest movie of the year, but it's queer coded and fun in that way.
Speaker 2: We have to shout out Jonathan Anderson fucking slay in the costume design. Oh yeah, I told your shirt. Zendeia's look. I mean it's it's all giving, like Josh's nasty plaid shorts during the mask. Well, it's all giving, like slight layer of Louive.
Speaker 1: But that's it.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna let Louive dominate this movie, you know what I mean. Right, he's like such a good as sponsor. No, but Jonathan Anderson is luave. Oh he's a leave guy. Oh he Oh, I don't know that that's his. That's his, that's his. Oh perfect, So he fucking he's so. I mean, he's like the fashion designer right now, and like for him to costume design for this in a way that is that respects the medium. It is not like fashion overtaking this except for that I told your shirt, which is like everyone's gonna wear and I actually please everyone wear that shirt.
Speaker 1: I mean they're on the way for us order them.
Speaker 2: The thing that that shirt does in this movie is so good that I'm like, I don't care. Everyone should wear it. Like it's not a thing where I'm like, oh god, like eye roll, like someone's wearing that. But it's like, no, this is such a great subtle touch in this movie that ends up being like a device. But I think like the first time you see it, you're like, oh, whatever, random like random thing. I'm just like just the costumes throughout so damn good. Loved it so much.
Speaker 1: The score. I need a DJ night of just the challenge. Just play the Challenger score. We're bopping our heads.
Speaker 3: I said I would go to I would go to these parties if like they played that, like literally.
Speaker 1: Spin challenges. If you want me to be at your event.
Speaker 2: Bactasia should do a Challenger's theme, tie, I should do a Challenger's boat like all Queer night Life should do something with challengers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get into the conversation too, because we're watching it happen. We're watching something yet if something is here, to stay with it. Yeah, you know what I mean. Syndeya, she's so stunning. Yeah in a way that's just like you genuinely could watch her experience anything like I would watch her in any type of movie. I would watch her like in any type of role. She's just fun to watch the scene where she sits down at the tree. I don't want to give anything away. It was giving like timeless movie Star. Oh yeah, it was giving, like and also the way he was lighting her, because remember this guy is like if you don't know now you know he did call me by your name. He's so great at like he just makes a choice that keeps the movie stunning and beautiful but also never loses narrative and catches a lot you know who I have it also a compliment with.
Speaker 1: This andrew On. Oh yeah, like the directors that like put you in a pillow. Yeah. The movie that.
Speaker 3: We were in Fire Island, I believe was very elevated by the detail and the scope that it picked up of the surroundings so that you were always aware of place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what I love about this movie so much too is how much parking lot and making out there is. I love the hotel culture, you know what I mean, Like it's got this sense of real place when you think about what these people actually must do, which is they spend a fuck ton of time at hotels and practicing and.
Speaker 3: Like eating out on the road. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like there's just so much like you don't even know where these people live. It doesn't matter. Their daughter is like an afterthought in a way that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of fine, but in a way where you're also like, the daughter is kind of you don't need that daughter to be realized anymore than she is in the film where it's like she wants to watch Spider Verse, Yes, which I thought was also a cute Deeaier.
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 2: She loves Hotel. I love that detail, Like, yeah, the daughter likes she feels safe there. That's what I'm talking about, what I mean, Yes, and the mom just kind of being around, Like you don't really like the mom's India and Tasha don't need to have like a deep revealing conversation. It says everything that she is there, that she is like part of their lives in that specific way. Yeah, where she's just there to a child, we are no problem, do you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean? One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And also I'm realizing now, like because there's a thing with the mom where Joshua Connor says to Zendea, your mom looks good, and Zendaea goes, I know she does, Patrick, and I was just like, that is such an that's a great line. It's like, I mean, Zendia has an iconic line which is I'm taking such good care of my.
Speaker 1: Little white boys.
Speaker 3: I was like, not only is this movie tight structurally, it's really fun of dialogue like things.
Speaker 2: Just it doesn't feel bad. It doesn't feel written. No, it doesn't. And I would compliment obviously everyone involved for that. But these actors are and I mean this in the best sense throwing it away.
Speaker 3: It is it is so lived in and earned. And there's long scenes in this movie too, but they don't feel long because of the pacing that the score brings in and like, I don't know, it's and looking good this motion in every scene.
Speaker 2: Not to mention cinematography where I didn't even feel like it was that on the nose for the volleys to happen, do you know what I mean? I get it, it's a tennis movie, but it's like, but like the camera moves are like are so pronounced, but they totally fit with what's being said, with what the dynamic is. Look in the scene like in the dorm between Joshun's and Deya. Yeah, like that whole argument that it kind of devolves into, I'm like, wait, that was perfect, Like, yeah, it came in just the right time. It wasn't too indulgent. It happened for like a couple seconds where it's clear the audience by the way, one shot, by the way, I know, I love that, but it's so clear to the audience, like what's going on. It met the audience where it's at. It doesn't try to like handhold too much. It also doesn't try to like be so vaunted in an unreachable place that you're like, oh, how do I engage with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the real crowd pleaser of a movie that feels like so artistically lush and chewy or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't need to be like a tennis fan to enjoy it either, Like, in fact, if you are a tennis fan, that's I guess where one criticism I've heard is coming in is like, I guess the tennis in the movie is not satisfying tennis people. I had one person say to me who plays tennis all the time, that zendais form was bothering him. And then I had another person who plays tennis all the time say that she had the best form, and I'm like, I wish I want to use that at tennis, because that just means one of the people that talk to me sucks and if you're listening to this, you might suck.
Speaker 2: Oh. I don't know, someone who's an ex experts should weigh in, but yeah, yeah, apparently Josh's form was wild, but I thought that worked.
Speaker 1: That totally works with the canter.
Speaker 2: I feel like Zendaya must have through a character filter, must have put in the work to make sure that Tashi's formally.
Speaker 3: She said on Kelly Clarkson because Kelly was like, did y'all become the best test player of all time? Because I was watching this, like y'all can really play tennis, and Zendia was like, I wish I could say I was even adept at tennis, but apparently Ci, yeah, there was never a real ball, and she was like, I just looked at it like dance training. But what I had heard was that Zendaia's forearm is is that it comes from under too much, and that it's like she needs to be on top of the ball a little bit more. Is what one person said to me. But again, that person could be one of tennis's worst players.
Speaker 2: Oh stop, But also, Zendia is working with some live limbs.
Speaker 1: Live would be one word, and so of.
Speaker 2: Course it's gonna look a little a little gangly isn't the right word, but you know what I mean, Like she's got the longest arms and legs ever.
Speaker 3: Lithe would be one word to describe Somedia. It's actually a really coloch number one hundred. Live would be one way, one word to describe the day. So I'm feeling like maybe it's pronounced that way, and so it kind of.
Speaker 1: Like limb shoes Winso.
Speaker 3: Take a queen, it's your film. I can't wait for that part of the movie. I really I sing it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I just literally gagged for a second. I was just like, WHOA.
Speaker 3: I do have a fantasy that, like the movie pivots to your perspective and that you are the lead.
Speaker 2: I think there is a Rosencranson, Gilden Sterner and Dead sequel potential to Wicked where it's just there is it's Fanny and Chuenchin sort of being like out in os like when no, oh, this is the idea. It's Fanny and Tension. Once Dorothy comes to Oz, like, everyone's like a twitter, like, oh my god, this bitch just landed, like she's I heard she's fears this bitch just and it's like me and Shenshin. It's Fanny and Tenson just like trying to look for Dorothy while she's and then once they get to the Emerald City.
Speaker 1: She's gone.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's kind of like a waiting for you Goodjoe, except we're like chasing after it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's really good. That's not bad, right, Oh, it's actually art. Thank you much of what you just said pretty much all the time. Wow, oh you know what? We didn't do what? And we can do this for the end of this episode, because how much more do we have to say? I mean, everyone needs to go see everyone needs to see it. Just go if you haven't gone already. And also not for nothing, be like me and go a second time because it's just as good as time.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see it again. Bring your friend that you love to watch react to stuff. You know how oftentimes you have that like favorite person that you love to see laugh first, or like react to something first, or like that. Bring that person that you're excited about seeing it to this movie period.
Speaker 1: That's a great bit of advice. Yeah, because this is this is one of those movies that you like feel okay.
Speaker 3: So one thing we could do, because we forgot to do, is pick out a new year for the next oh, excavation. We don't have the bucket. But what we could do is we could okay, random number generator, random number generator. Oh wow, this doesn't app for everything. Minimum, So the minimum is it was okay, so let's just say nineteen seventy five to twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: No, let's do nineteen seventy three to twenty twenty three. Okay, okay, okay, that's okay, all right, generate ready, generate. Here we go, nineteen seventy nine. This is our first year that we've done. That is before us being born.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy Okay, so we're about to do some research.
Speaker 2: This could be really fun for everybody in the class. Becca, if there's time, could you make it just a little a sour or starter of a document for us? Thank you so much? Wow now, and then and then from there we can disorder.
Speaker 3: It's because bowen Yang is going to be very busy May and June, and he forgets I'm not well.
Speaker 2: No. I also respect your time and that you would want to use your time the way you want to use it.
Speaker 1: And you've had a very busy winter.
Speaker 3: And can I say when I say this stuff about myself is bit about Bowen Yang being the busiest woman in Hollywood and me like getting a tan. I am just I'm not dragging my but the audience. But the audience hears it and things, oh well, well, they they must either think, oh ha, he's being funny, or like, lol, I wish he wouldn't do that. That's what he's being mean to himself, or they think flop fag.
Speaker 2: We hate Matt Rogers. He's so annoying. I don't understand. I don't want you to ever let that listen.
Speaker 1: I completely respect all camps.
Speaker 3: I don't completely respect all camps, but I completely acknowledge that knowledge camp. Where I'm telling you you should be is probably somewhere in between the business.
Speaker 1: Are you worried about me?
Speaker 2: Always?
Speaker 1: But I'm fine. Anything else to say about Challenges, No, I think it was the greatest film I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, between Challengers in May December and past Las, we just said that's a trifecta that should be studying.
Speaker 1: The trifector have triangles.
Speaker 3: I really like that, and I would actually I would like to teach the college course.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would like to.
Speaker 3: Teach a cultural and also on those three movies and how they speak to each other, because you know what gets unwieldy is if it's I'm literally doing a movie that's this though, but it's of two couples, like Who's Afraid of Virginia?
Speaker 2: Wolf gets a little like I even though that is like one of the great plays in great films, like four is a little like it's tough to manage four? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Three is that ooh person? Is that beautiful? Three? Is that good? Good? Number?
Speaker 3: Three is really one of the numbers that but you get to first when you start counting. Yes, if you think about that one, two, three, you are already there.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go far. Give it a couple numbers, you'll get to three. You'll get there. Stick with it, stick with it.
Speaker 2: But you know that's why Brittany didn't call her song four and Beyonce called it four, but for different reasons, Brittany called it three.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, I do want to say.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite parts of the Renaissance Tour was in the in the section where the theme is wedding. As Matt Waker likes to say yeah before she sings love on Top, or before she sings rather Die Young or something. She just goes, y'all want to hear something off my album four, and that's I love I love it. I love hearing her say four.
Speaker 1: I think it's her favorite.
Speaker 2: At one of the shows, I could have sworn watching video, I hear her say my favorite album four, and that was really shocking. But maybe this has not actually been documented and confirmed.
Speaker 3: Well back in the day when she was like promoing for she performed One plus one on American Idol and she introduced it like this, this is my favorite song one plus one. She said that, So I don't know if one one one is still her favorite song. It's up there, though. I love one plus one, love one plus one. I'll never forget seeing one plus one's.
Speaker 1: Cardis Show worlds her well.
Speaker 3: Then end in Renaissance World tour was amazing. But I saw it at the Roseland Ballroom when she was pregnant and no one knew and Jay was there and she was sitting on the piano and it was a really small audience and she ripped it apart vocally, emotionally, just woo. We had every episode with a song. Oh no, I don't think it's Honey Out a bonus episode.
Speaker 1: You're a ring on it, I'm won a ring on. We didn't even do the dance.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 1: It's first and foremost of the song Bye,