Speaker 1: Initial thoughts on the Google Pixel three. What's going on? I'm Rich Tamiro. This is Rich on Tech. I just got out of Google's big event in New York City to unveil their new slate of products, including the Google Pixel three, the Google Home Hub, and the Pixel Slate. At the event, I got to go hands on with all the new devices, but in this podcast, I'm going to concentrate on the major new features of the Pixel three and my initial thoughts on the device. The Google Pixel remains one of my favorite smartphones. I review a lot of them, and I always say it's a boring phone, but in this case, it works. It doesn't have all the content creation features I enjoy on the iPhone, or the apps, or the slick integration of I Message, Apple Watch in FaceTime, but the Pixel definitely has the superior camera technology and mobile operating system. The Pixel three cranks everything up a notch. The design is very similar to what you had before, but you can hold these devices better in your hand. There's also wireless charging built in the screen seems to be better, and there is even a pair of USBC headphones in the box, a l E Luja. Now there are just two sizes the five point five inch and the six point three inch, and three colors clearly white, just black and not pink. Yeah, those are the names, and the not pink, by the way, looks pretty pink to me. The main difference is that the bigger model has a notch and the speakers on these devices are forty percent louder. Now many of the improvements with the Pixel three have to do with the camera. There are so many fun little camera tricks on this device. For starters, there's something called top Shot. This is sort of the live photo features on iPhone. Basically, they've had motion capture before on the Pixel but you couldn't really do anything with it except watch a little video of before and after you captured your photo. Now this new feature, top Shot, puts it.
Speaker 2: To good use.
Speaker 1: Basically, it's already snapping a bunch of shots while you take the picture, but you can now go back and pick a better picture than the one you originally snapped from a little film strip style of frames. Google will even use its artificial intelligence to suggest which frame you should actually switch to. That's a great little feature. Then there's something called super Zoom. This lets you zoom in on a shot and still get a clear image. Google again is using a burst of photos and runs them through an algorithm.
Speaker 2: To create a clearer picture.
Speaker 1: They say that similar technology was used to image the surface of Mars, and now this technology.
Speaker 2: Is in your pocket. Gotta love Google.
Speaker 1: The company also had some fun at Iphon's expense. They showed two photos taken at dusk, one on the iPhone ten s, the other on the Pixel three, and the iPhone photo was really dark, like not very good, while the Pixel photo was so bright it kind of looked like it was taken at an entirely different time, like during the day. Google says you'll never have to use your flash again with this feature, which they call night Sight. They say it'll work by a campfire or kind of a selfie in a bar, any dimly lit place. This feature is actually coming soon, it's not on the phone just yet. I rarely use a flash when I'm taking pictures on my Pixel, and to be honest, the only time it's ever turned on is when I hand my phone to someone to take a picture and they immediately turn it on like they found a big mistake on my device because it was turned off. I usually just smile and pretend it was my oversight, but in reality, you rarely need a flash on the pixel right now, So with this new night site feature, I think it's going to be really cool when it comes to taking pictures at night. Google also mentioned how Pixel users are often designated the official photographer at any event they attend, and I can definitely vouch for this.
Speaker 2: It happens to me all the time. Everyone knows that the Pixel.
Speaker 1: Captures great shots, but I find that people are still very reluctant to switch from the iPhone because they're in the ecosystem too deep, or they just don't want to bother with something that's new, and I totally understand this. Also, the iPhone is still an amazing overall device with lots of aspects of it that work nicely, while the Pixel is primarily focused on the camera and all of the cool artificial intelligence things you can do with it. Selfies are easier thanks to a new group selfie care. There are actually two lenses on the front of the Pixel three one is your typical one is a wider angle, and while you're taking a selfie, you can pop out to get a wider angle view and fit many more friends into the picture. I tried this out at the Pixel event. It's very substantial how much wider you can get on the front facing camera. There's also a new photo booth mode. This automatically takes pictures as you pose for the camera. Kind of reminds me of what Samsung has where you can hold your hand wide open in front of the phone and it will start taking a picture. This is very similar, except all you have to do is smile or make sort of any gesture that looks like you want to take a picture, and the photo booth kind of recognizes that and it will snap your pictures as many as you want. Now, in portrait mode, you can also edit the depth of field after the fact, or you can even pick what you want in your photo to be blurry and what you want to be in focus, and again you can change this after the fact, and you're no longer limited to Google Photos creating those color pops for you. You can now tap on any photo to make the subject in color and the background in black and white. If you had a previous picturel you knew about the augmented reality stickers, the AR stickers, well that was two techy for most people. They now call this playground. These are little animated objects that you can drop into your pictures. There's a bunch of new characters that actually interact with you on screen. For instance, I played with a cloud over my head. When I smiled, the cloud smiled. When I frowned, he started to rain. That was pretty cute. Then when iron Man was dropped into my selfie apparently Google has some new deal with Marvel. He would literally reposition himself to get into the camera frame and pose depending on my facial expressions. This is really cool stuff, again, all powered by AI, and it's not something that's going to make you purchase the phone, but it's kind of like the animojis on the iPhone. It's just an added benefit and you'll have a lot of phone with it, especially when you show your friends. One feature that parents and animal lovers will appreciate motion auto focus. You can now tap on a moving object in a photo and it will stay in focus. And since this is good Google and they're leaning heavily on artificial intelligence, you know that this feature is going to work really well. And as usual, all the pictures you take on the pixel will get you free unlimited storage in Google Photos for everything. You upload before February first, twenty twenty two. And yes, I know that everyone gets free unlimited storage in Google Photos, but this is for all of your pictures and videos at original resolution, which means yes, including four K.
Speaker 2: Take that iicloud.
Speaker 1: One thing I'm very happy that Google added to the pixel three is lens recognition for a variety of objects without having to enter a special mode. Yes, you can, finally just open the camera, point it at a QR code, any kind of text and email address, a web address, and more, and instantly a little button will pop up on the screen so you can follow the URL, navigate to the website, and search for more info. This is awesome and I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised at just how useful this can be. For instance, let's say you want to send someone an email. Instead of trying to type in their email address and making a bunch of mistakes, all you have to do is aim your phone at their business card, tap their email address, that pops up, and you are composing an email in seconds. I try this with my own business card. It is amazing. It is fast, it is accurate, and I really hope that people start to use these features more often. Speaking of email, Gmail Smart Composed feature is now on the Pixel three first. It will come to other mobile devices in Gmail, but they're giving it a little headstart on the Pixel three. This is the feature where Google uses artificial intelligence to help you write or finish sentences in Gmail. I use it a ton on my desktop Gmail, which by the way, is different from smart Replies. Those are just the three little replies you get at the bottom of your email when you reply to someone. This actually completes your sentences, and it's going to be interesting to see just how useful it is on mobile, Probably more useful than on the desktop because no one really wants to type on their mobile phone. It has gotten really good at helping me complete my thoughts and has definitely learned the way that I write and how I say things. So I'm looking forward to using the smart Composed feature more on my pixel now. Another new feature on pixel is called This is where you can just flip your pixel over and it goes into do not disturb mode. So this can be handy at a restaurant or a meeting where you don't want to have to fumble with the volume or vibrate or silent mode. All you gotta do is flip your phone over on the table and that's it.
Speaker 2: Super fast, highly effective, and if you've set.
Speaker 1: Up do not disturb properly, your most important calls or text will still come through if necessary. Speaking of calls, if you're frustrated with unwanted robo calls, telemarketers, or pr folks in my case, just kidding, Google has a new call screen feature that means you'll never have to pick up the phone for a number you don't know ever again.
Speaker 2: Hear me out on this one. It is so cool.
Speaker 1: When you get a phone call from a number you don't know, all you have to do is tap a button on the screen called screen call.
Speaker 2: Wait, say that ten times fast.
Speaker 1: The pixel will answer the call all by itself and then use an automated voice to gather information from the caller. Hi, your calling is using a screening service from Google, and we'll get a copy of this conversation. Go ahead and say why you're calling now as the caller speaks. This is the crazy part. You see a real time transcription on the screen, so you can decide if you want more information from that caller or if you just want to send the call to voicemail or market as spam.
Speaker 2: This is a really cool feature.
Speaker 1: I saw it demoed several times in depth at Google, and I just wanted to keep seeing this thing in action because this is very useful. It's kind of like having your own personal assistant screen your calls in real time, and at any time you can just pick up the call and talk to the person yourself.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: There's also a new Pixel stand for the Pixel three. This functions as a wireless charging DOC because the Pixel now has Chi wireless charging built in. Thankfully. The doc also has some fun little tricks like Google Assistant shortcuts on the screen, so with one tap you can perform actions that AI predicts, like calling someone or playing your favorite play. Also, music looks really cool when it's playing on the stand. You get all the album Martin stuff on the screen, and it will even show an ever changing array of photos while your phone is charging, sort of turning your phone into a digital photo frame.
Speaker 2: One cool demo I.
Speaker 1: Saw is that if you have a nest to low video doorbell and the Pixel three and the Pixel stand. Yeah, I know that's a lot of Google, but it happens when someone rings.
Speaker 2: Your video doorbell.
Speaker 1: The video stream will immediately show up on your Pixel screen without you doing anything, so you can see who's there.
Speaker 2: Overall, Google has addressed.
Speaker 1: Many of the major shortcomings of the last version of Pixel by adding wireless charging, a pair of headphones that just makes life easy in the box, and improve screen and better software features, all while continuing to build upon the core camera functionality, which is best in class. When I think Pixel, I think of a device that does a lot of the heavy lifting for you.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 1: It's using AI to surface shortcuts for you so it can give you directions to your next meeting. It's finishing typing your emails for you. It's recognizing objects and text on screen and helping you effortlessly capture amazing looking pictures. The Pixel might not have the glitz and the glamour associated with iPhone, but it has a much more muted confidence for users knowing that they are getting a world class camera with cutting edge smarts built right in. The Pixel three is in stores October eighteenth for seven hundred ninety nine dollars. The Pixel XL starts at eight hundred ninety nine dollars. Again Verizon is the exclusive carrier, although all Pixels are sold unlocked for use on any carrier. You can also purchase the device from the Google Store online. This strange arrangement with Verizon is just one of the things holding back this device because there's a lot of confusion in the real world about the purchase process and also whether this device will work on various carriers. But overall, I think if you get a Pixel three, you're going to be very happy with this device if you're primarily interested in taking the best pictures and having sort of an effortless Android experience, which offers all the customization you can want in a smartphone.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening to the podcast.
Speaker 1: If you want to see more of my coverage of the Google Pixel three, you can go to my website, rich on tech dot tv, or check the show notes. I'm Rich Demiro in New York City. Thanks so much for listening. Share this podcast with your friends if you learn something that is.
Speaker 2: The best way we can grow here.
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Demiro.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you real soon.