Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: He Everybody.
Speaker 3: Scott Patterson Pop Culture, Season six, Episode two, Fight Face. Suki questions if Laurela and I am joined by Susanne and Amy Sugarman Let's and It's one eleven Productions and iHeartRadio bringing you this episode. Suki questions if Laurel I wants the engagement. Suki, you say one thing, but your heart says another. Laurel, I, please don't give me the whole litany, especially one that sounds so much like a Kenny Chesney song. A litany is a series of petitions for use in church services or processions, usually recited by the clergy and responded to in a referring formula by the people. Kenny Chezy and He's an American country singer, songwriter and guitar is selling it over thirty million albums worldwide. Kenny is one of the most successful crossover country artists.
Speaker 4: It was a good Kenny Chesney reference. Suki says that she can tell if Laura I wants to run away from the engagement. The eyes will give you away. If you're thinking of bolting, they'll pop on you like that Runaway Bride. It's like the eyes are trying to run away first. Sukie is referencing the nineteen ninety nine romantic comedy Runaway Bride starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gear. Julia was there reuniting Julia Roberts and Richard Gear after Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts character Maggie earns the nickname the Runaway Bride after having left trio of fiances at the altar on their wedding day. The common theme from her running away from her weddings is when she loses eye contact with her fiance as she walks down the aisle, her eyes go wide and she bowlts. I did enjoy Runaway Bride, but for me, it's just all about pretty Woman, so I never loved it as much. But it's a good cute movie. It's a good cute movie.
Speaker 1: I never saw it myself either, but I did see I did see Pretty Women. I thought it was terrific movie. Terrific, Suzanne, you're up all right?
Speaker 5: So this is Luke and Laureli talking about Star Wars, Luke says, and Jedi powers of mind control. They can move things, so they're telekinetic and they hover their jet saucers over molten lava and they jump and fly around like they're insert to Sola. Jedi are the main protagonists of many works in the Star Wars franchise. The Jedi are powerful guardians of order and justice who, through intuition, rigorous training, and intensive self discipline, are able to wield a supernatural power known as the Force. Circ To Solat Entertainment Group is a world leader in live entertainment. They are famous for their circus arts shows that have their entertainers flying around and performing wild stunts.
Speaker 1: All right, laurel I. George Lucas owns San Francisco. Now that's a city. You can't argue with a man who owns a city. George Lucas is an American filmmaker best known for creating the Star Wars in Indiana Jones franchises. Can you imagine creating not just one franchise that that is that successful, but two?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Best known for creating Star Wars Indiana Jones franchise and founding Lucasfilms, Lucas Arts, Industrial Light and Magic, and THHX. It's my favorite sound in the movie theater isn't that tea Remember that old THHX sound where it was all chaos and then it just came together in one note. I love that. In twenty twelve, he sold Lucasfilm to the Walt Disney Company for four point one billion with a B in stocks and cash. Lorelei is saying that George Lucas has a master of pertinal fortune, fortune so big he could buy an entire US city.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Indeed, Laurai telling Luke he can't critique a movie he wanted to see, so he brings up a Witched. Okay, I'm sorry they screwed up a Witch. Nicole Kidman, good choice, but that concept. I agree, you should go on a website. No, but Bewitch is iconic, Doctor Bombay, Larry Tait. There was no Larry Tait. B Witch is a two thousand and five American comedy romantic film starring Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell. It's also a TV sitcom that ran from nineteen sixty four to seventy two. Now she's referencing the movie because it didn't stay true to the TV show, So Laurai is saying the original TV series is iconic. But she's upset that the Larry Tait character was absent from the movie. The movie is sort of a whole sort of strange Bewitched concept. It doesn't really do what the TV show did, so I get her criticism. In the original series Bewitched, the character doctor Bombay is a witch, doctor and womanizer, almost always accompanied by a how should we say it, A buxom yep, buxom. I was going to just say Kurby assistant in a nurse's outfit. Larry Tate is the boss of Darren Stevens, the male lead character of the series.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't really think that doing something that is true to the original is always a good idea. You know, uh, yeah, didn't they They do.
Speaker 1: A lot of remakes of old TV shows and they're not really dead.
Speaker 4: On correct And some work this one because.
Speaker 1: It's because it's something you're right, Some do, but but it's like it's really hard to nail the original a spirit of something in this day and age. You know, it's because it's because they made a modern version of Bewitched, because it wasn't a period piece, right, it has to do with like.
Speaker 4: It's almost like there's a TV show, and then you find out it was a sort of a mess The Bewitched movie was sort of messy that she was like in the TV show and then she is a witch. I was like, A I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes some of them work. Sometimes when you swing for the fences you get nothing but air. There you go, that's right.
Speaker 5: Sometimes Miss Patty is telling Laurela that she cannot be trusted with an animal, and she says, honey, go see more to the penguins. That's really as close to the animals as you should get. To the penguins is a two thousand and five French feature length nature documentary directed and co produced by Buon Peoche and the National Geographic Society, and the documentary depicts the yearly journey of the Emperor Penguins of Antarctica.
Speaker 1: M Those those kinds of good, those kinds of National Grid Geographic shows and the Arctic Circle and Antarctica are oddly fascinating, aren't they? No comment, don't we learn that the virtues of shu geographic penguins? You I want to talk about penguins.
Speaker 4: But penguins this is where we learn penguins are monogamous. They don't mate for life. But they're monogamous, if I remember correctly, they don't mate for life, but they're monogamous through the relationship and the birth of the child. If I remember, they stick together.
Speaker 5: I only got about halfway through it.
Speaker 1: So, so in the animal Kingdom, nobody's cheating with a penguin like they just like they know, penguins have a real moral compass, right, so nobody's nobody's messing around with the little tuxedos. Okay, that's that's great, that's interesting. You know, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: What is this? Richard and Emily discussed their schedules. Richard, my god, we are busier than ann culture and cultures and American conservative media pundent, author and syndicated columnist and lawyer. She became known as a media pundit in the late nineteen nineties, appearing in print and on cable news as an outspoken critic of the Clinton administration, and somehow she managed to stay alive anyway.
Speaker 4: Amy Richard complains about Rory's car being impounded and damaged in the process. I should tell Scooter Libby about this. I keep forgetting I know a man on the inside. I'll give him a call that was pretty good. Scooter Libby is an American lawyer and a former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, known for his high profile indictment. In October two thousand and five, Libby resigned from all three government positions after he was indicted on five counts by a federal grand jury concerning the investigation of the leak of the COVID identity of Central Intelligence Agency CIA officer Valerie Plain Wilson. His indictment came after this episode, which makes Emily's statement to call him before his indictment spot on, which I didn't read, but.
Speaker 3: You know, and those were crazy times back then, leaking that kind Thank god they plugged up all the leaks and that doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I did agree to Emily's part of the line. So after Richard says I should call Scooter Libby, Emily says, before an indictment comes down, which makes it all even better.
Speaker 1: Oh now now it makes sense, Okay, and go ahead, Susanne.
Speaker 5: All right. Emily hears Richard's ring tone on his phone and asks him about it, and he replies, I'll have Katie come up with some appropriate suggestions for yours, maybe some. Burt Bacharac Burt Bacrack was an American composer, songwriter, record producer, and pianist who was widely regarded as one of the most important and influential figures of twentieth century popular music.
Speaker 1: Tell you that guy wrote a ton of great songs, tondt. Didn't he write them? Well? No, No, that was bj Thomas, I think. But he wrote songs for other artists, right. I don't know why I keep thinking of rain drops keep falling on my head? But did he write that We'll look up while somebody does? Then that guy wrote a ton of great songs. Anyway. Uh, it's me Laurel. I tells Luke she wants to rename the dog slowly, What, Luke, you're gonna name him? Tuki laural? I? No, I'm gonna name paul Anka. But it's gonna take a while to get to paul Anka. Paula o c is a Canadian American singer, songwriter and actor. He's best known for his signature hit songs including Diana, Lonely Boy, put Your Head on My Shoulder, and Having My Baby Yeah and I. Paul Anka did visit the set one, No way, I think yeah, during during the episode, I think he.
Speaker 5: Was in He's in an episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my good episode that one of the Netflix episodes got this. Yeah. I don't think I was there that day, but it was. I remember that everybody was all a buzz, like paul Anka was here.
Speaker 4: Would you like some paul Inca trivia? Paul Anka's daughter is married to Jason Bateman. What the Jason Bateman's father in law is paul Anka?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 6: I do not know that.
Speaker 4: Amanda Inca Yep. Interesting and they're like best friends with Jennifer Aniston and like all the cool kids, all the cool kids.
Speaker 1: Uh huh right, sure, right?
Speaker 2: Is it mean?
Speaker 4: I think it's me y, it's you Lorelai showing Luke Dog toys, toys including squeakies, picks up a toy and squeezes it, and the wuzz up variety was Up, also known as the What's Up, was a commercial uh camp paying for Budweiser beer from nineteen ninety nine to two thousand and two. The first spot error during Monday Night Football December twentieth, nineteen ninety nine. The ad campaign ran much of the world and became a pop culture phrase.
Speaker 1: What up.
Speaker 4: I don't even want I can't even I can.
Speaker 1: I think it's not so good at it.
Speaker 5: I'm trying, all right. So this is Luke and Laureli sitting on the porch of Laurelei's house talking about keeping the house, and laurel I says, or I could use it as my recording studio. That would be cool, huh. And when I'm not laying down tracks, I could run it out to Corn or Iggy Pop or someone. Corn is an American new metal band from Bakersfield, California. I did not know that. Formed in nineteen ninety three, the band is notable for pioneering the new metal genre and bringing it into the mainstream. And this is also the second reference to Corn in the show. You may remember a few seasons back when Tricks rented her house out to Corn.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: That is a good goodness.
Speaker 5: And James Osterberg Junior, known professionally as Iggy Pop, is an American singer, musician, songwriter, actor, and radio broadcaster. He was the vocalist and lyricist of the proto punk band The Stooges. He's often dubbed the Godfather of punk.
Speaker 1: Sure is Luke says he's going to kill TJ. Luke. I'm gonna be like Michael Corleone dealing with his slimy brother in law. Michael Corleone is a fictional character and the protagonist of Mariophus's nineteen sixty nine novel The Godfather. Portrayed by Al Pacino. Michael ends up killing his brother in law. Michael meets with Carlo and tells him he knows he sold out the family. As Carlo pleads for mercy, Michael calmly tells him that he isn't going to kill his brother in law, but Carlo is out of the family, and as Carlo leaves, Michael's men attack him and strangle him to dash. Big scene, great scene in The Godfather. Highly recommend the movie. All Right, that's gonna wrap this up. Next episode, Season six, episode three, the ungraduate as we continue our homage to Mike Nichols, and I think Elaine May. It was Elaine May screenwriter on this too. I think it was just Mike Nichols, maybe Elaine May.
Speaker 4: I don't want to admit that I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: Now anyway, that's gonna do it. Kids. Thanks for downloading best fans on the planet. Thank you, Suzanne, thank you, Amy, thank you and we will see you next time. Remember we and I I'm all in.
Speaker 6: Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.