Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'll that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day Ato State? Is that woo woom? And Dan and Ty.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Solid Verbal. Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always my good friend, my colleague, my co host of many years. His name is Dan Rubinstein. Over there in New York City, Sir.
Speaker 1: How are you? I'm good, Ty, I am. I'm excited that we got to space out signing day. I'm not excited that my team has three head coaches in like fourteen months, but I'm excited that it wasn't all crammed into a single day. Selfishly, it was much easier to follow because I'm an old man. So life is good.
Speaker 4: You know what I thought you were going to say, don't you What's that I thought you were going to say? You were excited that we launched a car into space, not that we were spacing out any kind of man signing peer or anything on the college football side of things.
Speaker 1: I will do a space episode at some point this offseason. Today is for signing Day. Stuff did not understand that. Okay, didn't understand that. But listen, Ty, it's national I guess, yeah, it's National Signing Day. It's not the early signing period. And I'll bet our guests and their analysis will be out of this or boom there it is. Talk about the star rankings. We're talking about actual celestial bodies.
Speaker 4: Look at you, Look at you? Firing up the pun gun here. Yeah, on the traditional National Signing Day. We've done countless shows on this very day for as far back as I can possibly remember. Now, of course they changed up the process on us. So there was another one of these, an early signing period on which we did a show back in December. Right, we talked about a good chunk of the guys who signed back then. I think something like sixty five or seventy of the guys signed back on the early signing day. Now we've got the more traditional version of recruiting's National Signing Day again, coverage on ESPN, ESPN two all throughout the day. We're going to talk with Brandon Hoffman. We're going to talk with but Elliott I believe in studio. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: That is true? We're going to bring Bud into into the big, official, beautiful studio here at the Espanation Office.
Speaker 4: We promised back in December that on this day we would give you a full, more comprehensive recap of what transpired in all of the Power five conferences, what transpired at Notre Dame. We'll talk a little bit about Group of Five conferences as well. Just do our best here with Brandon, with Bud's help, to try and give you a good thirty thousand foot view of what went on in the world of recruiting in this particular recruiting cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think we're going to get HERM. Edwards on the line. He's on vacation. I guess there was some mix up he didn't. I think he thought it was March and it was just a whole thing. Now it's the first class for HERM. Edwards and irmured Werderge in Arizona State. So yeah, I think there's a bunch of storylines to go over. It's just like all hal Georgia, I guess is the big thing we're gonna have to talk about. But now, I think, all in all a good signing day. I think there's good stories. I think there's teams that perhaps out recruited what they've been doing lately, which is always cool to see the talent level coming up at places where it hasn't necessarily been the highest. So I'm excited not just to hear about how the Powers did, but certainly how teams across this vast land have done.
Speaker 4: The other point of note before we jump right in with Brandon Hoffman from twenty four to seven, there will be another recruiting show. We're planning on it next week and it will be titled How Recruiting Works. It's a little bit of a different style for us. We did a couple of these last year and a couple minutes of it. I'm only a couple minutes through of the final mix, but I'm pretty excited about where it's headed. We talked to Brandon, we talked to Bud, We talked to some other friends in and around the world of college football and college football media. We've got parents that are coming on the program to talk about the recruiting process. So not ours, not ours, no no, no, gonna do a deep dive on recruiting, all the players involved, and I don't know, try to peel back the curtain and describe the process.
Speaker 1: We should do a listening party for the How College Football Works Recruiting show in the way that I think justin Timberlake had a listening party. Okay, Prince's house, so I think we should go to the forty forty Club. Let's invite Rick Rubin just like let people jam out to the newest episode, Ty, I think it's a banger.
Speaker 4: Can have people facebook live or periscope themselves or just take a short clip of you listening to it. Yeah, a virtual listening party.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: On that note, let's get to our friend Brandon Huffman. He's been on this show countless times. On this very day, he is now with twenty four to seven Sports Brandon Hoffman joining us. How are you, sir?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good, Dan, Ty.
Speaker 3: It's like a lot of years, a long time. It was so long ago. I was with Scout back when we first started this.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was a different time.
Speaker 4: So how are you, and more importantly, how have you enjoyed this new process.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: I am actually kind of enjoying this secondary one because there's less unicorns to chase around because we spent most of the December month doing so.
Speaker 2: But it's been interesting.
Speaker 3: There's still been a lot of late drama, as you would expect at this time of year, but a lot less drama on the grand scheme of scene because only about thirty to thirty five percent of the available recruits signed today. Everybody else was done in December, so it's been unique. It's been different, but it's kind of preparedness for what the reality of signing day and the early signing period is going to be like in the future.
Speaker 4: Did you have a particular favorite in the announcement category, the creative announcement category, Let's say, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, I still think back to an Isaiah Kroll used a little baby bulldog Andre Smith pulling out the hounds tooth hat. But kind of a new thing this year is a crying baby or just baby in general to announce where kids going to school. Tommy Bush this morning revealed his announcement that he was going to Georgia by taking the hand off of his niece who was wearing a Georgia's shirt. And even though he had the hats and the shirts in front of him, the niece was wearing the Georgia shirt and that was his announcement, and then she started crying. I don't know if she didn't want him to go to Georgia or if she just was trying to figure out why everybody was looking at her. I'm in Merlin Robertson, a four star linebacker out of Southern California, who he announced for Arizona State by also revealing he's going to be a sun devil by a baby at his announcement, unzipping their sweashirt and rebellion Arizona State sweasher. So that's kind of the new thing. Animals are a scene of the past, hats are a little bit of thing of the past, and now we've got babies announcing where guys will be taking their talents for the next three or four years.
Speaker 4: Regarding the actual players, Brandon, every class is strong at one position, not so strong at another. Where were the strengths Where were the weaknesses in the twenty eighteen class.
Speaker 3: I would say that strengths are certainly at the quarterback position. And this is probably the best one through three punch we've seen from a quarterback class, maybe ever. And part of that was because of the late reclassification of JT. Daniels, who was our number one quarterback in the twenty nineteen class. He reclassified to be a part of the twenty eighteen class, signed a day with USC, but he joins a group of guys that includes Trevor Lawrence, who was the number one player in the country in the twenty eighteen class and ended up being the composite number one player. I'm in Justin Fields and he's the number two player in the country. So Trevor Lawrence is the number one overall pro style quarterback, a number one overall player, Justin Fields right behind them, and then you have JT.
Speaker 2: Daniels in there as well.
Speaker 3: Each of those three guys are going to have a chance to see early playing time. I would imagine that Daniels is in the best position because Sam Darnold's gone, Justin Fields will have to deal with Jake from and Trevor Lawrence will have to deal with Kelly Ryant and Hunter Johnson who was there last year. But both those guys, Lawrence and Field's got one hundred plus graved on twenty four to seven Sports, and then J. T. Daniels right behind him at number ninety nine, number six overall players. So great quarterback class, a outstanding defensive line class. I talk about Lawrence and fields one and two and then three, four and five are all defensive ends. Eo Biaoma, who's going to Alabama, was the number three overall player. Zager Thomas is the number four overall player from IMG going to Clemson, and then Michael Parsons, who's a weak side defensive end but could play some linebacker, could play at number of positions, is the number five overall players. So pass rushers and quarterbacks are the two kind of standards in this class offensive line outside of the select few, not a great class, not a deep class.
Speaker 2: In the running back class.
Speaker 3: You know, we've gotten some pretty good running back groups these last couple of years. This year not real strong, not real deep at the running back position. Next years will be much better. So you know you'll see a lot of running backs in that twenty nineteen class. So I see their recruitments inflated a little bit because there just wasn't the huge amount of running back talent this year after a very good class of it a year ago.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something just because you mentioned justin fields and we'll talk about this later with Bud Elliott with regard to Georgia and the SEC, but in terms of how this year's Georgia class ranks and I'm seeing seven five stars, which is more than double the rest of the SEC combined. How does this to you compare to some of the great individual classes we've seen through I mean, you've been covering recruiting for now decades. I assume you know we have tw I think it was two thousand and four USC, the Whitney Lewis year. You know, there have been some extraordinary classes. Florida has had great individual classes. How does this compare to the top of the top of the top?
Speaker 3: I mean this is up there because you've got seven of twenty four SEVENS rankings alone, You've got seven of the top twenty three players in the country, so almost a third of the a little bit more than a third of the lesson the fourth I'm not great in math, but the top twenty five players in the country are all heading to Georgia. But then there's even more talent after that top end group of guys. But you've got a franchise quarterback in justin Fields, You've got a franchise running back into mere White. You've got the best tackle, the best player in the state of Tennessee, and kid Maye. You've got Bren Cox from in State. You've got Trey Hill, who he and Jamari Sawyer are probably six hundred and fifty pounds of just absolute nastiness at the guard position. Tyson Campbell, who was probably second best corner on his own team, and he's the number two corner in the country playing with Patrick's certain Adam Anderson, who will probably be the guy that we're not gonna hear from right off the bat, but in three years from now, people are gonna be like, wait a second, this guy was on their roster all these years because he's only about six four, two hundred and fifteen and twenty pounds as an outside linebacker. But that's the guy that ends up being that two hundred and fifty pass rusher when he gets to Georgia.
Speaker 2: So this class is just insane.
Speaker 3: Where it looked like they might have even been done today, It looked like they may not have had any room for guys, and then they pull in kway Walker, they get Tommy Bush out of Texas to announce for them, and they already had look forward one of the top tight ends of the country, James Kuk Dalvin's younger brother was already on board. So you look at what this class, you just didn't think it could get much stronger from what they signed in December. And then alas Kirby Smart ends up pulling in an even better signing day just because of how few spots are left in the caliber of the players he's bringing in that signed today.
Speaker 1: Let's go back west, just because I brought up USC briefly with an older class. But it's I mean, another year, another afternoon of USC closing an incredible fashion, a huge class. I don't believe, but we have. You mentioned JT. Daniels, the reclassified pro style quarterback who look like to be the best player perhaps in the class. Next year he comes in and he'll immediately compete Warren G's kid is an elite corner. This class doesn't seem like it might even be done. I don't even know what to make of this USC class. How does it compare not just to previous USC classes, but just in terms of talent? What is the context that we should be looking at this USC close in?
Speaker 3: Well, mean, if you just look at where they finished in the rankings in the state of California, they finished with six of the top eight players in the state. That includes the top quarterback in the West, the top receiver in the West, the top two.
Speaker 2: Corners in the West.
Speaker 3: They add the top inside linebacker in the West from the state of Nevada and pala Ie Gatote. Then they get the top inside linebacker from California.
Speaker 2: They get the top.
Speaker 3: Interior linement from the West, and justin debt it, they get the top player from Oregon in Talanoa Hufunda. And it's not just California where they did well. They go into Oregon and they take Tollano who from that they flipped Elijah Winston yesterday, who was a four star linebacker. We've been committed to Oregon where his brother Lamar was a starter. Then they go into Nevada and they get pala Ea Gaiotot and he's been committed for almost a year, probably the best defensive player in the West the last two years when the pads are on on Friday nights. And that doesn't even include some of the other guys that make this class such a strong group. Cut in that second level, guys like Devon Williams, who was a top one hundred player. Oregon really wanted him and then he announced for USC. Today they get one of the top JUCO players in the nation in Caleb Trembley, who committed just shortly after the December signing period. So USC's closed really it started when JT. Daniels decided he was going to reclassify it. Then they get Almon Ross Saint Brown at the Army Bawl, and then today Leyland Williams ISAA, Taylor Stewart and Elijah Griffin. We thought USC's closed last year was pretty impressive, but yes year it might have even been more.
Speaker 1: So starting with UCLA. And this might not be your answer, but starting with the Bruins rank the biggest threats moving forward in the PAC twelve in terms of staffs, teams, programs, whatever that can be a threat to USC in terms of collecting talent, And I say that seeing that UCLA put together a pretty nice class all things considered, with a new coach in the early signing period and a sort of mess of talent going everywhere, how do you rank the teams in the PAC twelve at this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have to say UCLA is definitely a threat to them, largely because it's in their backyard and they're going to be recruiting from the similar pool of players in southern California, and obviously I think Chip Kelly and his staff will will do a better job of recruiting southern California than Jim Mora his staff had done the last couple of years when it started to appear that they had to focus much more nationally. But I think the biggest threat to USC right now in terms of the overall staff and the overall recruiting actors plus the results in the field, is the University of Washington, and that's because Washington is now really established themselves and probably given Stanford they've had great classes with, Stanford has to recruit so much differently. They only have two sigees from the state of California. Washington comes into southern California and gets a lot of guys that USC wanted, slips to the two that got Sanoah, who was from conquerd Daala South committed to USC back in April, then flip to Washington this week. But the bigger one was going to getting Brandon Caho out of Reno.
Speaker 2: He ended up being the.
Speaker 3: Number one player in the state of Nevada, five star player who was essentially down to USC, Alabama and Washington. Despite being a BYU commit. The Huskies get him and then Julia Servant. He commits his dad, who was a former Los Angeles RAM. A lot of people want him to stay in southern California, and Urban takes Washington over USC and Alabama. So Chris Peterson is no longer recruiting just in the state of Washington. He's still getting the top players from Washington, but now he's going into northern California. He's coming into southern California. He's going toe to toe with USC for key guys, and he's winning those battles. And as long as the Huskies continue to contend in the Pac twelve North and continue to put guys out early in the draft, I think that's going to help them really give USC a run for their money when it comes to recruiting, because they also have that Northwest base that they can recruit from, and they also have a lot of good success in Northern California, largely because Chris Peterson's from there and a couple of key recruiters are also Northern California native. So I think Washington and UCLA probably give USC the most threat right now and in Oregon is going to eventually. I think, you know, continue to recruit southern California more rather than focusing nationally that they did a little bit under WILLI Taggert and then Arizona. This class is not a great classifyer Arizona standards, but partly because the majority of it signed when rich Rodriguez is still the coach in December. But we know what kind of recruiter Kevin Solan is and you give him a full year worth of recruiting. I think Arizona's going to see their class as send in the future.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Stanford briefly. I just want to touch on them for a moment. You look at their class, it's a smaller class, only fifteen signees. I think according to your latest Composite rankings, you've got them at number thirty nine nationally. Had a big signing today with Tanner McKee the highest rated quarterback still on the board. I feel like we've seen this song and dance before from Stanford. Is it a concern, Should it be a concern or is it just more of the same from Stanford?
Speaker 2: I think it is more of the same.
Speaker 3: Remember a year ago they signed a smaller class, but three of the top six players in the country all ended up at Stanford, and that was Foster Cerril, Walker Little, and Davis Mills. Walker Little ends up being a freshman All American this year as a left tackle. Then you got Foster Serril coming down the pike, and plus Davis Mills. You know who knows that kJ Castillo holds onto that job if Mills will play for a while. They go back a year later. They don't sign a big class, but it's a strong class. Obviously, Tanner McKee is the crown jewel in that class, if you that's my opinion. The problem is they're not going to even get him on campus until twenty twenty because he's immediately planned to serve his LDS mission. They got Michael Wilson from Shawman out of high school and he's the only other in state player that Stanford got in this class. So they did a lot more national recruiting and really didn't recruit the West as hard as they have in the years past. But it also, you know, they have to recruit from a different pool of candidates than the rest of the pack twelve.
Speaker 2: So if there's not a lot of.
Speaker 3: Great combinations of students plus football players out west. Then they have that broad appeal where they can go to the East Coast, they can go to the Southeast, they can go to the Midwest. And even though it's not a huge class, I think it ended up being the third based on average, the third or fourth best class in the Pac twelve from the average ranking of their players.
Speaker 1: Brandon, I would imagine Oregon fans, who I definitely do not speak all for, but might be disappointed with how this second signing day or the late signing day or the normal signing day ended up because a lot of the decommitments from the Willie Taggart recruiting class ultimately didn't return back to Eugene. You know, Miles Battle went to Ole, Miss Trehawn Harrison followed Willy Taggert to Florida State. Devon Williams, who I didn't decommit, but a lot of people thought he was going to perhaps end up in Eugene. Spin things positively for me and Oregon fans on a day that wasn't necessarily the best.
Speaker 3: Well, I will say the one thing that you know as bad as today when like you said, you know, Joshawn Harrison picking Florida State. I was at his announcement this morning. I was periscoping it and the comments were quite comical and they were coming feverishly. There was a lot of anger being spit between Oregon and Florida State fans there.
Speaker 2: But then you got Devin Williams.
Speaker 3: That goes to USC, Michael Uziki who wasn't organ to commit an Sducla. But then it's all about how you end, and they end the day by getting Pinay Sewell, who they'd been waiting months for. It looked at times during the summer that pine Sewell was going to commit there. It looked at times during the fall he was going to commit there. He took all his official visits in time for the early December signing period, decided not to announce, and then here we are on signing day, and really the last announcement of the day out west was today. He's the number one offense alignment in the West. He can play tackle, he can play guards, He's a fantastic offensive lineman. And I think that that is definitely the way they needed to end this day because it was going down the road and it kind of started with Miles Battle committing to Ole Miss and then losing other guys, But it was looking like it was going to be a very depressing end of the road for Oregon. But then they ended by getting the best offensive lineman in the West. And that's the team that the guy that they beat Alabama for that they beat USC four and then Utah obviously was trying to keep him close to home. But again I mentioned this sarily with Washington. When you can beat Alabama and USC for recruit that's huge, and Oregon ends the day by getting Finay Sewel And I think that that it is one way to spin it to say, you know what, considering they lost an entire recruiting weekend before the early signing period, and they lost a lot of key commit down to Willie Tagger or to other schools in the South.
Speaker 2: To end it with Senase who will definitely get that bitter case.
Speaker 1: Out of their mouth fair enough. And I was talking to our pal Yogi Roth about this, who is convinced this is the best quarterback class that the Pac twelve or Pac ten has ever signed in a season. And you've been covering the conference when it had ten teams and twelve teams. Does that ring true to you. Obviously, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Utah all pulling blue chip quarterbacks. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody, But is the level of quarterback entering the PAC twelve really that high?
Speaker 2: I do think it is, because it wasn't just those schools.
Speaker 3: It's also you know, Washington State grabs a four star record setting quarterback from Utah and cam and Cooper, and then you know, you already throw in the fact that you've got J. T. Daniels reclassifying, You've got Jacobson transferring in.
Speaker 2: You have Washington landing a pair of four stars. Oregon State goes and gets a kid.
Speaker 3: Who was criminally under recruited last year after being the white Washington State player of the Year, decided.
Speaker 2: To go to the JUCO route and ends up picking Ardent State. So I look at this.
Speaker 3: Class depth wise, and I think that the Pac twelve top to bottom hasn't had a quarterback class quite this strong in some time. And I think a lot of that's attributed to the emphasis at this conference place is on finding quarterback.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of.
Speaker 3: Attributed to the fact that the West typically produces more quarterbacks per capita. I mean this those look like a great year for Georgia considering Fields and Lawrence. But I think if you look at the West, there were a lot of quarterbacks in this class that I think were guys that they're not cliped forward holder Tis.
Speaker 2: There's some years where you.
Speaker 3: Have top quarterbacks, but they're the top based on the context of that class, but they're guys that you don't never expect to be starters. I'm looking at this PAC twelve class right now, and between JT. Daniels, Darian Thompson Robinson alone, you've got a couple of potential future starters there. Tanner McKee probably starts for Stanford at some point. You know, Tyler shuk could be the guy who's next in line to take over for Justin Herbert at Oregon. And then you have the transfer that Jacob Eeson, he could be the next guy Jake Browning, or it's one of the two freshmen you have Jack Coletto at Oregon State, who is going to be expected to come in a play right away. So I think Yogi is definitely onto something by saying that this is one of the best classes because of the depth of the talent, the quarterback position.
Speaker 4: Real quick, Brandon, before we move over to the Big twelve. It was sort of a running joke on this show when Herm Edwards came over to ASU and tried to implement this new model for recruiting, for building the ASU program. How is that going? Is that working on the recruiting side? What are people saying about what HERM Edwards is doing in Tempe?
Speaker 3: Well, aside from all the Herm Edwards is that we're going to be blessed with over the next few years. Believe it or not, ASU close really strong. They're number thirty six in the country. They had one of the smallest classes back in December. But here we are on National signing Day and they landed three four stars today and two highly ranked three stars to close this out. And I think one of the things that as did that was really smart. One of the things that Edwards did that was smart was he went and hired some assistant coaches who understood recruiting. One of those was Tony White, who'd probably been the best recruiter in the Mountain West over the last decade. A couple of times he was a mount and West recruiter of the Year. Really helped build the San Diego State program from a recruiting standpoint, they hire him and then Antonio Pears. Now he's never been a college coach before, but he'd been the head coach at Lombach probably for the last couple of years. He'd been a part of the Nike Opening Tour, so he was traveling to the Nike Openings around the country. He'd worked at the Nike Opening Finals, but he coached at the school that's produced more NFL players than any other school in the country. And then to top it off, his own son was recruited two years ago. He's playing at Boise State now he's a starter there. So Antonio Pierce understands it as a high school coach, he unders understands it as a father, and understands it as a guy who went through the recruiting process as a JUCO player. And so they kind of turned into Pierce loose in southern California. He's a big reason they got Merlin Robinson and then the two Long Beach Quality four sad they got the Shari Crosswell and Jermaine Lolay. Those were all because of Antonio Pierce. So if Firm Edwards doesn't quite understand what recruiting entails. He at least has hired some assistants that completely understand it. And that's going to be the surprise when people look at these final rankings, and you know, with all the jokes and the chuckles that Firm Edwards has produced over these last couple of months, they got a class that I don't think other people are going to be laughing at because there's some talent in this class.
Speaker 4: All right, let's move over to the Big twelve. The big story in the Big twelve, I think is what went on in Austin Tom Herman with a huge recruiting hall, a bigger class, twenty seven guys, nineteen of which came from the great State of Texas. A monster back end of the recruiting class in Caden Stearns at Safety as well as bj Foster, both of whom are from the state of Texas. When you look at what Tom Herman did, is this sort of a transformational class that will take them to the next level.
Speaker 3: There's no question, Because one thing Texas needed to do was to get back those kids in the state of Texas. It was something that Charlie Shawan had kind of a roller coaster a bit. It was something that Mack Brown had kind of struggled with towards the end of his regime. With Kevin Sumlan starting to become that cheap program in the state of Texas, the Holmer's kind of lost their way. Well, Herman realized, if you have an entire year to recruit these guys as opposed to four or five weeks, which he did when he came over from Houston, you're going to have that much more success. And so Texas signed six of the top seven players from the composite rankings. But more importantly, they're at positions where those are guys that can come on and make a difference early. You've got great defensive backs from Jalen Green, plus the three headed safety monster with the Marvin Overshawn, Kayden Sterns, bj Foster, Foster was fantastic in the under Armour game, Cayden Sterns with the MVP of the Army ball. And then you got Brendan Eagle, the big physical receiver from Texas as well. Then you got a couple other corners, DeShawn Jamison and Anthony Cooks. So when you're in the Big twelve and in a conference that can light up the scoreboard, and sometimes people question do they even play defense in the Big twelve When you can go and sign six premier defensive backs from your own backyard, That's one way.
Speaker 2: That kind of helped remedy that situation.
Speaker 3: So I think Texas and obviously Tom Herman understanding the importance of recruiting in state, they're going to kind of see that trend continuing in years in the future, because again, I think it's going to be cool again to go to Texas for those in state kids.
Speaker 4: What did Tom Herman do outside of maybe hiring some guys who understand Texas better than the previous regime, because look, the results on the field were here and there wasn't necessarily a giant leap forward for Herman in the twenty seventeen season, But now you look at the recruiting class and clearly he has done something right.
Speaker 3: What changed again, I think part of it was getting those two years at Houston, And what really helped there is because Houston, you know, as good of a Group of five program as it is, it doesn't necessar really have that national appeal that a lot.
Speaker 2: Of Power five schools have.
Speaker 3: And so while Texas and Texas A and M have the ability to recruit outside the state Houston, you.
Speaker 2: Kind of have to focus on the in state kids.
Speaker 3: So what he did when he went from Ohio State to Houston is really focused on developing great relationships with the high school coaches in the state of Texas, whether those were Houston area coaches, whether those were Dallas area coaches, whether they were coaches in San Antonio and all around the Lone Star state. He did a good job of really developing those relationships even though he was just a Houston at the time, so that when that Texas job came open, those relationships had already been established. This wasn't like Charlie Strong coming from Florida and then Louisville and now being thrown into the pit of Texas and trying to recruit against you know, at that time in Art Briles, at that time at Cliff Kingsbury, you know who's at Texas Tech. Guys who have had experience that understood what Texas football recruiting was like. And even when Kevin Fumblin, when Charlie Strong got there, Kevin Summan has things really going strong at that point. Well, now Herman has those two years to kind of lay in the weeds, getting to know the local coaches, getting to know the local talent. So when he made the move to the Flaship University, he already had those relationships established and he understood what it meant to recruit the state of Texas. So I think that those two years very much an underrated aspect of why he has has had the quick success to success as a recruiter in state.
Speaker 1: All Right, now, with Texas behind us, let's move on to the class of the conference. The premier team in the Big Twelve. The Iowa State Cyclones did a really nice no, well, actually, Iowa State did actually do a really nice job this year. But let's talk Oklahoma because they, I would say a little bit quietly because what everybody sort of was paying attention to with Oklahoma was they had a phenomenal season. They win the conference, They have a terrific Rose Bowl that comes up just short for the for the Sooners, but this is an excellent class. They addressed defensive line issues. If anybody saw that game, they that you know there was some work to be done up front. They get a blue chip quarterback, they get a great corner, they get an unbelievable offensive tackle. This Oklahoma class looks to be as good as recent Sooner classes, and they didn't seem to rely like on recent years going into California as much. What is it about this Oklahoma class that stands out?
Speaker 3: You know? I think I like the fact that there is a heavy focus on the Midwest and on the Midlands. There's a couple of guys, you know, they go down into IMG. Now both of you guys are originally from southern California with Bookie Radley Hiles and TJ. Pledger, But they were at IMG and they were able to get Pledger to commit early and then hold off a lot of school's making a late charge. Bookie Radley Hiles has originally committed in Nebraska and then when that program kind of imploded under Mike Riley, he came back on the market. Oklahoma got him, They went over to Missouri, they got Ronnie Perkins from over there. They went down into Texas, they got some key guys. But really, to me, what was the most impressive part was keeping the two best players in the state of Oklahoma, offensive lineman bray Walker, who I watched him both at the US Armel American Bowl and then at the Polynesian Bowl, and he will remind Oklahoma fans this is comparisons that made a bunch, But he reminds me of Orlando Browanns, who I saw at the Central Fidelis game his senior year. Big massive guy, great walker for the six seven, three hundred and twenty pounds, moves like he's so light on his steed and he's just a monster. He's a big kid, and he's not even the biggest off at the tackle. They got in this class because they went down to Texas and got Darryl Simpson who's six seven, three hundred and forty pounds. So they did a good job of recruiting that kind of that Midlands part of the country, both in Oklahoma and down to Texas, going over to Missouri to get some tey guys, and then just kind of being very selective with the players they got outside of the Midland regions, a couple of kids from Florida, a couple of kids from California, and really making that focus being kind of that middle part of the country where they really have pass of success in the years past with Missouri.
Speaker 2: Obviously in state and Oklahoma and then still grabbing key guys from the state of Texas.
Speaker 1: Is there a class in the Big twelve and the conferences in this I mean, in a compliment, it's so specific. You know, you know what you're getting with West Virginia football. You know what Texas Tech is going to look like, you know what TCU is going to be, just stylistically and the type of kids, the size and speed, the athleticism that they're able to attract. Is there a class in the Big twelve that you know might not be top fifteen or top twenty, but you look at overall what they were able to attract and in your mind you think, man, a lot of these guys are going to succeed because they made great decisions about where their talent matches up with what coach, school system, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Iowa State really good class. I think you know, this year was obviously a pretty exciting year for Iowa State fans with what Matt Campbell was able to do, with some of the wins that he was able to pull off. They kind of sneakily signed it a very good class. Got a couple of quarterbacks, one Rail Mitchell led Saint John Bosto to a state championship game his junior year, and then a senior got banged up. They came up short a speed, a guy who's a true duel threat. His mom was a former American gladiator. He's already on campus. And then they got rock Furry, who was kind of under recruited to a lappable sense up until mid December. Only offer was Northern Arizona and then Boise stayed offer. Well, he doesn't sign in in December. The next tho, rock Furry is choosing between Alabama, Texas, A and M and Iowa State, but he ended up picking Iowa State because he felt that comfort level there. So they got a couple of pretty good quarterbacks there. But you know, Matt Campbell did a good job. He went into Ohio, He's got some roots, got Joseph Skate, a four star receiver from up there. He got some good juco guys that could come in and play right away. And so Iowa State's not necessarily a school you think is going to be able to recruit nationally, but they actually did a good job of recruiting nationally. And then the one that has become everybody's favorite, punching bag for the last few years, and that's Kansas.
Speaker 2: And what the most remarkable thing about.
Speaker 3: Kansas is they went into the state of Louisiana got two four star defense all purpose back, defensive back, four star guys that had plenty of SEC offers. Not only do they get those guys to commit, they held on to them because when they committee, I think everybody was like, Okay, yeah, that's cute. Kansas got their commitments. But when they really start getting recruited, then we'll see what really happened. These guys doubled down on their commitment to Kansas. Anthony Williams and Curry and Harris, both the New Orleans area.
Speaker 2: Kids, and they stuck with the Jayhawks.
Speaker 3: And so you look at their class and you look at the ranking of where they stand in the Big Twelve, and it's kind of surprising because we're not used to seeing Kansas beating up that high. But sure enough, Kansas there with the number eight class in the conference and two four stars seventeen three stars by Kansas standards. That's the kind of class that you really need to have if you want to get out of the goldens of the Big Twelve and just try to look competitive.
Speaker 4: Let's close out the Big Twelve. I want to talk about TCU. I can never seem to accurately project TCU when you look at the recruiting class. Did Gary Patterson do a good job here? I've heard from a couple people who feel like it's a sneaky good class. How does it stack up to you?
Speaker 3: It's the number three class in the Big Twelve, behind Texas and Oklahoma, and really, with the way Texas and Oklahoma recruit, finishing as the number three classes almost like finishing first when you compare it to the rest of the conference.
Speaker 2: And that's what TCU is. It's heavy on in state kids.
Speaker 3: But they went over into Louisiana, got a four star duel threat quarterback and Justin Rodgers he signed a December. He's already on the field, I'm sorry, already on campus. And then they kind of spread out a little bit and got a few more players out of Louisiana. And then they went into Mississippi, which you kind of expect because a little bit more close. But then they have a guy from really by backyard. We live on the same hill. His daughter and his sister and my daughter go to school together. Ben Wilson, a four star linebacker from Sumner, Washington who had a bunch of tacked roll boxers that went down, fell in love with what Gary Patterson does as a coach, home in love with what CAC is doing as a program. TCU doesn't really need to recruit the West Coast all that much, but that's two years in a row that TCU has gone into Washington and grabbed the kid and grabbed the Pac twelve commit So you know, Gary Patterson decides that he wants to expand kind of his recruiting at a little bit. I think that could give some problems to the Texas and Oklahoma's because he's starting to really show that longevity and he's not going or no matter how many times like Mark Few, no matter how many times he's mentioned with every other head coaching job, he just continues to plug the way down there at TCU. And I think that that success that hadn't the Big twelve in the last few years is allowing him to recruit a little bit more nationally if he so chooses.
Speaker 4: All right again, his name is Brandon Huffman. You could find him now at twenty four seven Sports. Just to round out your composite top ten here before we let you go, talked a lot about Georgia, but Ohio State, Texas, USC Penn State rounds out the top five, followed by Clemson, Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame branded Throughout the entire recruiting cycle, was there any one story, anyone recruit something that you looked at and you said, Wow, that's that's an exciting story to follow, You know, I.
Speaker 3: Would probably say it's the one thing that And it's kind of happened in the last two days. This Australian kid that Utah got a commitment. He's actually the first guy to sign on National Signing Day because it was nighttime last night in Australia was more or in the US with the morning time in Australia. A kid named Thomas Yasman. He's a childhood kind of a schoolboy rugby star in Australia, had never played football before, and Utah goes in, brings him in on an official visit and they end up signing him. The guy's never played football and now a Pac twelve school, a Power five program is bringing him in, not as a specialist, not as a kicker, or a punter, but to be an outside linebacker slash defensive end. And so you kind of had some boring storylines. And then boom, Utah goes and hires one of the Signs, one of the best young rugby players in the world who'd never played football. And now you just know how it works in Utah. This is yeah, being like or four year starter and end up being an NFL draftic. It's all gonna be because Kyle Willingham is smart enough to know, Hey, let's go down to Australia and find some of these rugby players.
Speaker 4: Incredible all right again, his name Brandon Huffman. Find them over at twenty four to seven brand that. I know it's been a long day for you, but as always, a tremendous job just imbibing all this knowledge. I don't know how you do it and reciting it to us in a way that makes sense. So thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks guys, thanks for having me, and we'll do it again next year for sure, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Dan, So thanks again to Brandon Huffman m HM for stopping by for imparting some of his wisdom on us. While Bud Elliott gets situated in the studio want to tell you about our two sponsors for this evening, both of which you've heard a lot about, but we keep talking about him because we're so excited about proper Cloth. Oh my god, proper Cloth. You were at a wedding. How was the proper Cloth shirt for you? Did it work again? Great fit?
Speaker 2: You know me?
Speaker 1: Ty I hit that dance floor, held up super well, breathable, fit my form perfectly. What do they call it?
Speaker 4: The geometry, That's what I say, that's my word.
Speaker 1: It was all acute, very little obtuse, Okay, a lot of trapezoids being being covered very sleekily. So I'm a huge proper Cloth fan.
Speaker 4: The shirts are completely custom made. Custom fit is the best. It's better than anything you're going to buy off the rack. You know, finding a dress shirt that fits your precise geometry can be very difficult because something's always off. But now you can order that custom fit shirt that you've long desired from our good friends over at propercloth dot com. You can easily create a custom shirt size in mere seconds. All you got to do is answer ten simple questions. Every one of their shirts goes through extensive quality control testing, so you're only going to get the absolute best quality and craftsmanship. Best of all, they guarantee a perfect fit. So if you get it, if for whatever reason it doesn't fit, let them know. They'll remake it for free. It's the future of shirts, Dan, because again, everything completely custom for you. It all starts at just eighty bucks.
Speaker 2: Tay.
Speaker 1: You know how brownies are better the second day. Yeah, for whatever reason, when they're like room temperature or they've cooled or something like that, it just feels denser. I don't know what it is. There's something about the proper Cloth shirt. I got it, I put it on and I thought, man, this this fits really nicely. And then I wore it to a wedding or whatever some event and washed it. And then the next time I wore it. Yeah, in my head, I thought, how do they know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it almost like it contoured even better with a way. It was incredible. It was eerie how nicely it fit.
Speaker 4: Stop wearing shirts that don't fit, Start looking your best in a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth dot com slash solid today. When they ask you for a gift code, enter in solid that's s O L I D. You will save twenty bucks on your first shirt again propercloth dot com slash Solid. The gift code is Solid. Save twenty bucks on your very first shirt. Do it today?
Speaker 1: Do it Oh? One other point, Dan, Oh, I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: You've heard us talk about MVMT.
Speaker 1: Before wearing it right now.
Speaker 4: Two college dropouts started MVMT. They wanted to start their own watch company. They believe that you should be able to get cool stuff without breaking the bank. And Dan, over time, since we started talking about MVMT, not on today's show, but in previous shows, they've doubled the number of watches that they offer. They're now selling high quality sunglasses, they've got women's bracelets. This is very much a company MVMT that's got upward movement. Dan, it's shoe upward movement. Catch the wave. He got Valentine's Day coming up. Our friends over at MBMT, they've been very proactive about this and I admire it because thoughtful. I'm always looking like, what can I get the solid wife for Valentine's Day. They've got an interactive gift guide now that can help make Valentine's Day shopping as painless as possible. And it doesn't matter whether you're shopping for him or for her. Find everything for watches to fashion forward bracelets to the sunglasses. MVMT has it all. They'll give you it all in a really cool limited edition gift box.
Speaker 1: Dan And you know what, God, I love a good gift box. You know what they do They cut out the middleman tie. You know who this country was founded by. Yeah, yeah, not middleman Nope, makers doers. That's MVMT.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's all curated by mvmt's in house stylus with the trendious pieces that your special someone will love. Get fifteen percent off today with free shipping and free returns by going to mvmt dot com slash solid Again, go to mvmt dot com slash solid and uh you know, in addition to your fifteen percent off, you can join the movement. Do it all right? Is Bud situated?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: We have Bud Elliott the I mean, how many titles does he how many hats does he wear? Right now? So he is the editor of Espionation Recruiting. That's the most important thing. He now has a team and works with the Espanation College football staff. There's multiple platforms. There's video, there's audio, buds, buds and Mogul tie and I'm wearing a hat, really wearing wearing a hat right now?
Speaker 4: How you doing, man?
Speaker 1: Oh buddy, doing well?
Speaker 4: Do well?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Just you know, closing out signing day. Good signing days as sort of opposed two years past with you know, what's the difference to you in terms of how today has gone with the early signing period in mid December. Yeah, a little bit less hectic. I think in general, our audience on Inspianation I always think about it is a little bit more of a casual recruiting audience because from my perspective, if you're a crazy recruiting die hard, you're probably paying a subscription to one of the sites, right, so you use us to supplement maybe, you know, you get your ten thousand foot view of things. So a lot of I think our fans, some of them probably didn't know there was an early signing period, but in the future years, I think they probably will. It's been an interesting day, a little bit less hectic than previous signing days. But the early signing period also creates this dynamic where you know, instead of being at like an eleven on National Signing Day, you're kind of at like an eight for six weeks, you know, starting write poor Christmas with the early period and then rolling up into this. And it's also shifted the recruiting calendar. You know, I've had to look at twenty nineteens and twenty twenties earlier than I normally think I will, right fair, So diving into twenty eighteen, which is now old. Is there a story beyond Georgia's class is filthy and borderline unprecedented. I think the main takeaways are, like you said, George's class, and when I say filthy, I mean that in a good way. Just to be clear, I mean Georgia signed I think they signed more five stars in the rest of the SEC put together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had seven, seven five stars. They doubled the s the SEC. The rest SC had three total.
Speaker 1: Georgia had seven total just today are yeah, Yeah, that's ridiculous. I mean, we're literally talking about this Georgia class on paper as one of the best classes of all time, you know, with with some of those USC and saying classes with one of those Urban Meyer classes. You know, I think it was the year they signed Serie Floyd and those guys. They just did a tremendous job. The other thing I think is the to borrow like a Fantasy baseball term here sort of the Stars and Scrubs element. In talking to coaches, what you hear is, you know a lot of our best targets are still out there after the early signing period, but there's not that like just you know, high quality player, we can go get the drop off like so many of these, like let's just call them good players they signed early. You know, look at a Minnesota or a Toledo or a suttern miss or a TCU. They signed a lot of kids that I feel like a lot of programs really wanted to wait right and just hey man, look we don't overgra space for you. But like so you know in talking like three star with four star flashes, yeah, exactly it. Plan a's were still there, but like there weren't enough Plan b's and Plan c's and Plan d's. A lot of this is like Plan A and Plan F. It really is kind of the Stars and Scrubs approach. You know, the pay in seventy five bucks for Mike trout of auction and fill out the rest of your your auster with one dollar players. That's been a big time difference, and I think we are seeing and as recruiting media, we have to be watched this, like the profiles of these kids being elevated because they didn't sign right, Like, there's no question on these three stars are getting more attention than otherwise would. Okay, so let's talk about Georgia, because Georgia has a class that if we're going to be specific, and it's very hard to be specific with so much talent, this looks to be the best offensive line class in the country, especially inside. They've got a pair of guards I believe who are outstanding. They may have the best quarterback in the country. They may have what the best running back in the country. They may have the best outside linebacker in the country. Where is this class particularly strong? Who are the names that people listening to the show, even if they're not a Georgia fan, will know sooner rather than later. Okay, justin Fields, who I've compared to a taller, bigger Russell Wilson in terms of playing style and ability. He's also a baseball guy, so I think the comp fits, sir. In terms of style. I'm not saying he's quite as talented. He may be more talented physically, but Russell Wilson's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Zamir White was by far the best running back in the country this year. He towards ACL late in the season, but when he was healthy, he was like the no doubt guy at running back. Cad Mays is an elite level office a tackle And it should be said, by the way, if I can jump in, we're talking about two excellent running backs gone from Georgia. Yeah, so that is a wide open backfield.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: I mean they've recruited in the last couple of years, but there's gonna be big competition. If Zamir White is healthy, you're not gonna be able to keep him off the field, right, He's going to get carries. They signed Dalvin Cook's little brother, James Cook, as more of an all purpose type back. Good hands catch the ball to the backfield. Their combination of guards in Trey Hill and Jamari Sailor is probably the best pair of guards I've ever seen a team sign.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: They got Newt Wilson out of Miami, who was a pretty nice like dB signing. Brenton Cox is an elite level defensive end. Tyson Campbell is the most athletic corner in the country, and he's also six'. Three Adam anderson is a freakish outside linebacker at A, Rome. Georgia just awesome. PLAYER i really Like Channing, tendall a guy who is rated outside the national top, hundred WHICH i think is. NUTS i Mean i've seen him a couple of times in. PERSON i like him a. Lot their tight End Luke ford is a baller AND i love his competitive. SPIRIT i mean he just. Goes he CAN i cuss on, here, yeah go for. It he just talks. Shit it gets up in everybody's, face immediately love it and backs it up. Great they Flipped Quay, walker another outside line linebacker From. Alabama Nadad joseph is a really, nice like developmental long corner they got out Of. Miami Norland Azizo jaalai is a really like nice, long developmental defensive end who can give him a pass. Rush Tommy bush is one of my favorite receivers in the. CLASS i feel like you have your guys that you kind of, Like, HEY i see this, kid and he doesn't have big time offers yet or not rated highly. Yet i've been tweeting about him for over a. Year ever SINCE i saw him back at The nike camp In houston on a cold day on The Super bowl last. Year THAT i can't. Beat he stood out, There. Ty you can't, see But bud is. Sweating he is getting. Charge it's. Tired you want to know About you want to know About Justin? Fields, though, right we talked about him.
Speaker 4: BEFORE i, Mean i've brought this up on the show a bunch of. Times but from is. There he just made it as a true freshman into The National. Championship why Did Justin fields go To?
Speaker 1: GEORGIA i Think Justin fields thinks it's going to beat him. Out it's incredible AND i love. It and, look there's no Doubt fields is more talented Than Jake, from better, arm better, athlete and from is really good college football. Player for, Sure georgia is essentially guaranteed to have like super elite level quarterback in for the next three or four.
Speaker 4: Years it's an embarrassment of. Riches it's not a bad really, have but it seems to me like your true freshman who just got you to The National championship game might be the odds on starter not only this coming season but for the foreseeable. FUTURE i don't.
Speaker 1: Know that's just, me all, right two words to a Tongue. Ailoa, okay because Literally Jalen hurts Took bama to the title game last year and or two years ago as a true. Freshman as a true freshman scores what would have been the winning touchdown Had Deshaun watson not let his team down the field And tua wasn't. Scared, yeah and there's a good Chance georgia five thousand mills went from home and signed up for. It at Least justin's sister plays softball At, georgia and it's right close to his home there In. Atlanta and there's a good chance That georgia will put up a lot of points on teams and backups will come in And Justin fields will get time to prove himself in action even if he's not. Starting let's go through some other classes near the. Top tie is. There you don't spend thirty minutes On. GEORGIA i just don't think we have the. Time we only have the studio for a little bit ty elsewhere in THE. Sec what fascinates. You we've got just an outstanding resource and butt. Here, YEAH i, Mean i'm always interested in how new coaches. Fare and we've seen a fair amount of turnover in THE sec places Like, florida not just this, year but in the last couple of. Years, Right So, florida there's been recent turnover AT. LSU i know there was some disappointment there with their recruiting. Class But TEXAS a AND.
Speaker 4: M And Jimbo sure a guy you know really, Well Bud, Tennessee Mississippi, state oll Miss. Arkansas the list goes on and on of the new coaches that came into THE. Sec were there any that impressed you or let you down at least through one recruiting.
Speaker 1: Cycle let me start by saying, this the early signing period crushed every single new. Staff, yeah by, far like makes every single. One every one of these teams is below they're LIKE i would say previous four year. Average nobody. Improved, YEAH i mean they. HAD i, Mean i'm just in speaking About. OREGON i Think Mario christobal was made official like three days. Before it's it's tough and at least that you, know that's a higher that offre continuity because he was already on the. STAFF i, mean these guys who come in that didn't have any existing. Relationships they were scrambling and early. SIGNING i mean some of these guys were having to sign kids like fifteen days after they got. Hired Jeremy pruit got hired what Like december, tenth, issue it was pretty late in the.
Speaker 3: Cycle you.
Speaker 1: Know jimo did a real good job AT a and m. CLOSING i think they're going to make a lot of, noise especially in The houston. Area in twenty, Nineteen Dan, MILLAN i feel like got some difference makers on offense with with quarterback Hen Mary jones and Receiver Jacob. Copeland, obviously they were disappointed to not Flip nessa severa From miami and not Get tete freyre with the five star tackle who went To Ohio. State but they also have two really talented transfers coming in at receiver who could make a big time difference for The. Gator SO i know the fans are really disappointed, today BUT i don't think that class is as big of a disappointment as as Some ofator fans. Thinking and the real KEY i think if you are a new coach is you have to strike a balance between meeting your numerical needs so that you don't get in a situation where your death is totally, screwed and also going after enough talented players to where you can't just take a bunch of. Filler that balance is not easy to. Achieve you as a, Coach i've got to get in here and, Say, okay we're pretty good at this, spot this, spot this butt in this. Spot so we're only going to take like our level of player at these positions and in this, spot this, pot in this. Spot, man our depth is not, good and we have got to just make sure we take a body who if we had to put on a, field he wouldn't be a total, disaster regardless of how far down we have to go on our. Board pretty much, SO i think most of the teams did a good job with. That tennessee had a disappointing, day but, again that's a really hard. Situation ole miss is coming off a really difficult situation as. Well Mississippi state kind of recruited on part or where they normally. DO i, mean you, know six four, stars twenty three, kids that's not too. Bad jimbo did the best job as far as closing things out. TODAY i Think mullen did a pretty good job from the time he was hired fair enough and let's go to the leg as literal elephant in the. Room alabama wins The National. Championship they lose both, Coordinators Brian able to THE, Nfl Jeremy pruitz To. Tennessee there's more attrition year over Yere they're losing two to three coaches and they still managed to recruit at least this year on a top ten. Level usually it's a top three. Level is what is what stands? OUT i guess About alabama's class this? Year what impressed you beyond the fact, that, like, oh they have a ton of talented. Kids what direction did they?
Speaker 3: Go the?
Speaker 1: Parentheses, yeah they only took nineteen. Kids, yeah so on like a per player, AVERAGE i think they're probably second or third in the nation In George george is gonna Be, Yeah they're they're they're. Averages it's sort of A stanford, class smaller but a high. Average. Exactly you mentioned it that the coaching turnover in back to back YEARS i think really Hurt alabama because you had a bunch of guys come in off last. Years they lost a lot of a lot of coaches off that runner up, team and they Lost lane and they, lost uh who was THE dc? There, well they Lost, LANE i mean had been and they lost somebody else to Although Mario cristobaul right To, Oregon Billy napier To Arizona. States they you, know obviously this Year Brian, dable like there is year over, year they thought they were going to Promote sark to offensive. Coordinator that like their, connections guys familiar With tuscaloosa and their recruiting cycle. Gone the back to back coaches leading Like pruitt carried that recruiting class a lot this year and then he takes. OFF i think that that Hurt alabama. Some and these kids didn't know The obama coaches like they normally. Would And nick's a tremendous, recruiter but it's hard for head coach to have personal relationships with, like you, know sixty top, targets, right and SO i think the turnover there hurt. Them that they really got some good players though in this. CLASS i mean a nomah of the defensive end out Of, baltimore out Of Saint Francis. IS i mean, legit if we didn't have the crazy quarterbacks this, year he would be a legitimate argument for the number one player in the.
Speaker 4: Nation.
Speaker 1: Wow patrick Chan, junior a lot of people think is the best corner out Of South florida since a guy Named Patrick. Johnson and if l fans AND lsu fans might know him As Patrick, peterson, yeah before he changed his name. Obviously Stefan wynn is a kid WHO i think is going to step in and immediately Be he's just that, classic like not super, long but six' four Three bills bama five tech defensive end and, it's like, oh man we just we can't block. That guy they just kind of plug. Him in he's that, you know will COACH, At img he'll. Play early and the secret sort of Thing about alabama specifically is they pull in these blue chip. Defensive backs they don't have to play. Right away they get time to sort of season in the system with let's, be clear probably the best defensive backs coach in the Country And. Nick saban so it's one of those things where they have time to learn and to grow and they're not counted on. Right away and when they are in when they do need to get, into games whether it's as a nickelback, or whatever. They're ready. They're twenty they're twenty, one ridiculous and the kids they did get ARE really i will say that that. Is true they also like the kids they got. Are polished you're getting pats or. TANS kid i mean that dude was what a Three Time all pro and has been. DRILLED forever i think that's what makes a, special prospect that he is that polished and he is. THAT big i mean he's six one and a half two hundred and an elite. Level athlete josh job a kid they Flipped from miami like a, month ago kind of the. Same way just, you, know, big polished ready. To GO and i got some good developmental guys. As WELL but i feel like this Is a it's a strong class. For them it's not on par with they, normally sign but a lot of that is due to. The, size sure they didn't take them. Any kids nineteen is.
Speaker 4: Not many another team that we'd be remiss if we didn't talk about, their, Story. Obviously clemson clemson's been very much on the rise over the last couple. Of years, for sure won the national championship year ago in the playoffs again. THIS year I believe i saw bud that they got the top player from was it six or. Seven states this was quite a Class, for clebs and it does not appear as if it is slowing down anytime Soon, For, dabosweeney no.
Speaker 1: CERTAINLY not I Mean, trevor lawrence the number one quarterback in. THE country, i mean depend on who, you Ask but i'm A big lawrence. Fan too Out. Of Georgia, xavier THOMAS who i guess technically is the top Player, in florida although He's A south carolina kid who PLAYED, at img so, to me he's kind of like the top Player In. South carolina but still we'll give it. To Him, kJ henry who was an elite level Player At, north carolina big time defense vent who's probably gonna. Play early number one Player In Ohio. Jackson Carmen ohio state wasn't too happy about. Losing him that was the early. Signing, period yeah You Know, darien kendrick who's a really special playmaker. At receiver they also got a Kid Named, justin ross the number one Player in, alabama Arguably who i'm really high on, six'. Four two hundred he's, a basketball guy hadn't played a whole, lot of football but the catches he makes on his highlight tape just show a natural ability to body control and the ability to pluck the ball. With his hands if you can teach that guy in the, run some routes then that's going to. Be really scary and they just did. A great job they're just kind of there are a, lot on numbers but that'll happen, when you convinced like several first round picks to return to school instead.
Speaker 4: Of going pro when you LOOK, across THE acc and i want To Talk about florida state here, in A second because i know they're of particular, Interest to you but when you LOOK, Across, the, Acc bud obviously clemson has been the cream of the crop now for a couple. Of years running just relative to the other SCHOOLS, in the acc how do you compare the depth That clemsonto A Miami. OF florida state i.
Speaker 1: Think that if clemson had had those, guys go pro then the rosters would be pretty. Similar talent, Wise, You, Know Clemson miami florida state roughly that They didn't That wilkins And bryant And Farrell and mitch hyatt on, the off highline but they. ALL come back i Do think that clemson's roster for twenty eighteen is a step above everybody else. In the league having that much talent and experience combined is. A big advantage as far as that their recruiting class against the rest of the, LEAGUE this year i think at the top end it's, really really strong and if they can build on that, next year too then they're going to be set up to be like A favorite of cora in the league for. A long time MIAMI is Steadily I think willie tagert probably did the best job out of any first year coach as far as salvaging what they had because they were in The Sixties with jima fisher left and then sort of that like high to. MID level range I Like what nc. State's doing it that's a staff with the number of young interject cruiter to identifying guys early. Getting Them on justin foente is doing. A nice Job vigen tech u and c had a very strong bounce back class after kind of a horrible year. On the Field they signed Barnes out of florida who was a four. OR five star i forgot what his. Final ranking was. Big time off it's a tackle that they took his. TEAMMATE as well i believe so that the top half OF the a sec has done done. A good job the bottom half they're just not winning BATTLES against. Their sec counterparts just, on that topic there are schools that are really good at identifying not, high level talent but talent that, fits really well that looks like they will. Develop into something is there anybody in the bottom HALF of the acc or is that what they need? To do better they need to be. MORE self Aware I think wake forrest is a really good job of that in a year, in year basis and then we call it the sweet. Spot right right if you, aim too low you won't have enough talent. On your roster if you aim too, high and miss then what's? Your backup plan the drop off there is. PROBABLY too significant i think that was something that will Must Champ at south carolina not to go BACK, to THE sec but i think year one they aimed a little. Bit, Too high okay, IN recent years i Feel Like like south carolina has done a really good job finding. Your, sweet spot hey we want to get in on a couple, high level kids and at the same time we realize we're not going to sign a billion high level Kids Because, it's south carolina so we need to find other kids who can. FIT our program i think SOME of, THE see teams i don't say they, aim too low but they're just not bringing in enough elite talent to really. Make a difference that that's where. The depth is that the teams at the TOP of the acc are just as talented as the teams in the Top Of. The inner league some, of, these teams though are not bringing in enough four and five starter Guys or any, in, SOME cases sure i will give, you, A name though i want to see if. This guy signed i'm not sure how, to pronounce this but this kid's. Film is Ridiculous, He's. From italy okay he Played Ball, at clearwater academy which is about an hour and a half. From My House clear Wire International. Habout kook, baldonado oh. GOD oh yeah i know about THIS case because i think He looked at oregon. A little bit i was sort of catching up with. All recruiting stuff he's a he's very, slim for, RIGHT yeah yeah i mean they got him listed, at six.' five two thirty i don't know if, he's actually two thirty but That's a guy that pitt did a great job getting in on and it would not surprise me if he is like an early round draft pick in. A, couple of, Years, Interesting All.
Speaker 4: Right bud florida. State Laid on us, Willy Taggert, Comes in jimbo fisher we've talked about. It on the program, maybe overplayed his Hand ENDS up AT. Texas A and m florida. State goes Out There they bring willie Taggert. Home back to florida how did he do in his first half psychic quarters cycle whatever you, want to call It Recruiting?
Speaker 1: Cycle at, florida state you know as Far As like by, florida state's normal standards it's it doesn't measure up because they're almost always like a top five team if you measure him against everybody else who's a new head coach with with the new, EARLY signing period dynamic i think they had probably far and away the best best job done considering how far. They had to go, NOW they killed receiver i Mean Just they got Treyshon. Harrison out Of Seattle, they got Jordan Young, they got Warren Thompson, they got keyshon Heldon They. Got to marcus adams they're switching to a spread or, more of a spread. You know type thing. They needed a receiver they went out and they just signed a bunch, of studs at receiver like. That's a huge win they kept a lot of really important pieces in the class Who were, waivering once, jimbo Left You, know linebacker Mary Gaynor, DEFENSIVE Tackle Robert Cooper. dB santae, SAMUEL jr and god i feel PRETTY old SAYING that i don't i don't know. If you guys.
Speaker 3: Do.
Speaker 1: Oh my god yes And then They, got jayden would be who was one of the Top Players. On the west coast, THE kid literally Tweeted I wonder why florida state was too dumb, not to offer me and. Immediately got an off you GOT a five, star dB out, there, and they're like wait what the previous staff? Didn't offer this kid and literally the dude had Been Tweeting pictures Of Durwin james and jalen ramsey like all year and say. These are my idols, and FSU's old staff like I, told my reader tomahawk they weren't doing anything for. A, couple of months wow they really were just, asleep at the wheel which is how you end. Up in the Sixties In recruiting at florida state obviously because probably. Should never Be There and now florida state two of their most talented players in this Class Are. From The, West, coast west coast Yeah in that small now these kids Are Tweeting like, hashtag WEST coast knowles and i don't think that's going. To last long term but it'd be an idiot not to use their relationships you built over the last. Year if you're taggered so he did a. Good job with that they. Didn't get A Quarterback jimbo. Got james FOSTER today that was i think A Surprise to both FLORIDA state and to lsu, at least you know. OVER the past week i think last night they had a decent idea that he. Might not be coming but it's. A PRETTY deep class but i feel like they didn't. Reach too much either. They took twenty one there were a couple of KIDS on the board i know they could have extended offers to and they elected. TO pocket those scholarship i think next year they want to take like a twenty six or. Twenty seven man class so one of the things that you know has been very apparent in talking About these Top Classes, alabama NOW florida state, great dB class overall it seems like nationally and another school that did really well with defensive backs is. In that same conference miami did really well with defensive backs, and aside from that in terms of offensive, skill with, running back. WIDE receiver tight end i know they bring in. A Blue Chip quarterback It's. Jaron williams or williams this is a class that even as of, a few weeks ago people were saying this could, be, a top one two three class and ultimately didn't finish. Probably one or two but this is an Incredibly impressive Haul, from mark rex All his best class. Miami's, HAD in years okay i. MEAN it Really Is i like. Lorenzo lingard a lot now he's six, foot of buck ninety. But he runs track once he knocks, that track stuff off he's probably. Gonna, Be two ten now i'm not saying He's as talented, AS darren McFadden stylistically i would. Comp him to that he's, really a violent. SLASHER good Burst Downfield i like. Jared williams a lot that's A Great get from. Mark Rick to quarterback delane scaife is a big time Guard who They, signed brian high tower REALLY nice PLAYER at img who i think compliments the other. Receivers, in his, class well you know they got some Size With. Him and dak wiggins They Got tied end Breben Jordan Out, Of bishop gorman nestville severa was the best. Et in the. State they got him now THEY Did. With, on d lineman overall that's the second year in a row they've they've had some issues at that And this coming year miami has got to GET To get on d lineman and they got a lot of, playing time to offer and they, did this Year too so maybe i'll have to change up their. APPROACH some with That I. LOVE receiver mark pope. I mean this guy if, you haven't seen This go. On our Facebook Page. Check out mark Pope they call him noodles and he just. He Just Destroys people al Blades junior. Obviously A. Miami legacy nice dB, some people were like? Is he a corner?
Speaker 3: IS he a.
Speaker 1: Safety i don't care that makes place now who'll figure out a? Hybrid position for me it's. A really nice class i think they hit their needs at REALLY every, spot the d line and they hit. Their needs with talent and it doesn't matter what position you play, in the defensive backfield because they All Just pick off notre, dame quarterbacks right exact, that's what they. Do discriminate, TIE transition go oh i forgot.
Speaker 4: A perfect setup. To my, Next. QUESTION thank you daniel i was Going To ask about Notre dame so filed yourkovic is the name that we have discussed ON this podcast for i don't know a couple months, now Here And there, but notre dame's class by all accounts. A top ten class. Depends where you look, maybe it's number ten, Maybe IT'S number, eight but i think all in all. A pretty good class seems to me like it's. Built around the essentials, They strengthened their line they've got a lot of, defensive players in there both at the second level with wine up good, linebacker class tie yeah and at the third level back. In the defensive backfield When You look, at notre dames class what? Stands? OUT to You.
Speaker 1: Well i like houston griffith A lot. The, dB nfl legacy obviously i've seen him QUITE. A bit at IMG another guy who i think is the vers tility to. PLAY Corner or safety i roll. AN extremely smart kid i mean you can move him around and he can be a big. TIME asset Your Defense, i like jack. Lamb he's A Hitter i've seen george taxis a lot the tight end y'all sign because he lives about thirty minutes From, Me. Down in naples florida he's, A. GUY frame wise tye i think is going to be a tremendous. Asset as. A blocker good hands i mean he's not the most athletic, kid in the world but if he's six seven to two forty, NOW as he's listed i think he can be two seventy wow and, be a really nice. Nice blocker for y'all that's a big time avenge. In The Run game love kevin. AUSTIN as a receiver i feel like He Was very. UNDERRATED michigan state legacy i believe tough guy sixty three two. HUNDRED dish big time i. REALLY like Like Him, i like shane simon the, Another Linebacker. Y'ALL sign lawrence keys i think it's kind of a. Specialty, kid you got yeah THEY picked him up i think today or last.
Speaker 2: Year.
Speaker 1: That, was today yeah, yeah he's super fast like hands, made need some work but he. Really he can scoot and, then there's a kid probably one of the lowest rated kids In your class who i've just seen him make play, after Play After Play. Man joe wilkins junior they went and got Him Out Out Of. North north fort myers that that. That DUDE'S a player and i feel like some kids from that Area and from the houston area this year were underrated. Because of the hurricanes so you had a lot of a lot of games that were canceled so people didn't. Get to see him, sure you had games you Had games, moved to tuesday nights and so like some of these kids Were playing Games. On, tuesday and friday interesting so they really. It limited The exposure, like where wilkins lives they didn't have power for like fourteen days and it. Kind of disrupted Stuff So nice job notre dame going down. THERE to get him i Also Like the Safety. PAUL maloe, at indianapolis i mean he's rated nine and twenty. Eight In the nation that's i'm not gonna tell you he's like. A TOP hundred kid, that's i don't know a. Couple hundred spots low if you like that. Sticks, out to me oh And Then, they GOT noah Boykin who I knew florida in virginia were really hoping to get a, corner, that was today right that. Was a late signee Let's, stay in the midwest which IS not a phrase i like to say, All that often personally. But Here we are ohio state. Has an amazing class this is something. We Say every year, urban meyer amasses talent did a lot, of this early on but he LANDED the number one i believe offensive. Tackle IN the country and i still think they ended, up, WITH a quarterback right I think He's From texas after emery jones ended Up. Not going to columbus but this is it looks to be a great defensive Line Class. Defense overall ohio state it's just it's a. MACHINE at, this point i, mean is there like are there three players that stand out from this class or is it just like A top, to bottom. They're ridiculous All right nicholas tite frere to moorn offensive tackle in the? Nation who you? MENTIONED what separates him i think just athleticism and size and, yet, he's so raw okay like he's going to be so much better. Than he already is but he's a legit like he's like a skinny two eighty, Five at six six he's got a lot. Of room to Grow He's, built like tyron smith the guy that plays Left. Tackle FOR the cowboys WAS i like the d tackles they signed in a year that IS not a. Good, D tackle year okay so like position scarcity, is a real thing and not every year has the same amount of good players at. Exactly every single position some years are good years for one position and in the. Following year is not this WAS not a. GOOD d tackle year i don't actually think there was a true five. Stard, Tackle this, year wow, We've Seen you Know Christian wilkins And Dexter lawrence and rashaun gary and guys like. THAT in previous years i didn't see anybody. Like that this year SO if, you needed d tackles the number of really good. Ones was very small they went out inside the best. Two In The, country damn tarn vincent who is the son the giant like gigantic, son by The Way A former, All Pro nfl corner troy Vincent sure for the eagles about one hundred pounds. Bigger than the dad and then they also got The kid OUT of idaho's.
Speaker 2: Name.
Speaker 1: I can't pronounce, tommy ALWAYS watched this But. I. THINK it's toji yeah i like a couple kids in their class who are sort, of down ballot. KIDS if you Will, i think seven banks who is the Little Brother Of remember Marcel harris simon the gators kind of blew up his knee and never. Really had The career but seven banks is, a really smart players Good. ATHLETE out of orlando i think that was a. GOOD take For them i like. CAMERON babb a lot i know we, got hurt this year but when he has the, ball in his hands he's Like A running back ohio state able to. Get him in space And There's A Linebacker dallas caan't dallas gant rated outside. THE top one FIFTY i know there's i guess there's ten outside. Linebackers better than him i'm not entirely, you, DON'T say it sure i just give ONE of the kids i really.
Speaker 4: Like, in that class Okay Let's talk about penn state, as a casual observer perhaps. As an eager alum it Feels To me like penn state has accelerated on the. Recruiting side of things if you look at their recruiting rankings and where they've stacked up relative to Other Teams, in the, big ten just say over, the last four years it feels like it's getting stronger, each and every year and this year. Was certainly no different seems like they have a ton of momentum. On the recruiting side they obviously got A Guy like a micah parsons who folks. Are really excited about in. The early signing period they. Added some other names today when you, look at the class where do you think the Strength Is of What Penn state and james franklin went out? And, did this time well.
Speaker 1: Edge rusher for sure parsons is just he's a dog, Man JUST every, snap like i know he's got. Some attitude to. Him he goes. HARD he's a beast i also. Love the Utter Dn, they SIGNED jason oway who i think actually has potentially A higher. Ceiling than parsons now he's nowhere near the, player he is currently but always also a kid who's. Fairly new, to football he's learning he's. Growing into his body but, HE'S like six,' six i don't know two thirty is probably he, looks like a basketball player but he looks. Like one, of those, guys it's like, oh man if he develops that's a first round looking kid because he has the length in. The frame to do that and, speaking Of Length and frame receiver Justin Shorter is like, at terrell, owens clung. Style BODY size speed Ridiculous what. I like was shorter though, he's got the long speed but he also has the quickness and a lot of times you don't see that with. The guys who are tall are a lot of, the dudes, who, are tall they're builders right it takes a little time. To get up top speed he's got the instant go and the extra gear to get deep so that that's going to. Be really nice for THEM and then a guy i. Think he's gonna play early one of the highest floor players in THIS. Class, for me is pj mustafer a d tackle who's. Clearly been schooled really well not. The most freakish of athletes he's, a top one hundred kid but he's, not like a You Know he's not a dexter lawrence, type dude, at the, tackle great. HANDS really quick good technique i think he's a guy who could be. An excellent college football player you know what it seems like to me with When You look, at this penn state class they have three positions that are filled by allegedly the best player in the country At That Position Is in mike parson's ricky slade as an all Purpose back and. Just for shorter at receiver it seems to me when you when you look at, where these guys are from there's a, lot Of Like, that coast the, Atlantic Coast. There's you know new Jersey These guys seem like urban meyer would have been recruiting them and Getting, commitments from Them at storta and like maryland Guys. Would be going, to, alabama Whatever It is right and james franklin has done an amazing job of not, just keeping pa kids home but that whole region. Within two or three states he is he is. Building, a multi state Fence Well think about who ohio state did, try, TO recruit These Kids right i mean michael parsons that. THEY were on really Aggressively I, Know They, wanted justin shorter Rashid Walker the kid. At ohio state signed. TODAY they wanted him bad i mean they were one of the. Top two finalists for him there's a lot of These Kids that do Have Ohio, state offers. In ohio state absolutely one it's act. Serves a lot, of credit by the way Preliminary Calculations here looks like penn state is the newest member. Of, the Blue Chip, ratio hey so, penn state there you go.
Speaker 4: Explain The blood chip ratio so i'm. GLAD you brought that up i wanted to bring that up. Before we let you go but blue chip ratio is something that you've been beating the drum. On for a long time what exactly is that and how does that, pertain to how a school how a program. Does, in the foreseeable future sure.
Speaker 1: So basically it's Just a rolling four year look at did you sign more four and five star kids than two and three star kids over? The LAST four recruiting classes and, i went back and looked and basically everybody in the modern recruiting era that won a. National title has, done so So to me it's basically i'm not saying. It's perfect or it's infallible that are heavy broken organ, Almost snap, The streak twice yeah exactly but there's sort of like a it's almost like a necessary but not sufficient condition, if you hit the ratio you're not going. To win a national championship but, if you don't hit it. It's, really tough to do so like you probably need a team of like super veteran guys who are really, close to be in there, maybe like a you know, forty five percent type team and then you also have like. A transcendent quarterback type thing so there's usually between like ten and fifteen teams in a given year who have done so. Over The Previous, Four, cycles So. PENN state OKLAHOMA and texas i think i got, to RUN the numbers finally but i think they're all going to be back in the. Club this year fair enough and we'd be remiss if we didn't talk. About ANOTHER big ten power and i badly want To, just START talking about wisconsin but i Will be kind and say michigan actually did not sign a class that was necessarily on par with what they've done the Past Couple. Of years under jim harbaugh Is the? Panic reasonable from michigan fans is it just an average down year and you still, like guys in, this class or you know is their reason to actually say we have to? Write THE ship recruiting Wise so i don't think michigan has like fallen. OFF recruiting wise a ton i think they had. An, unfortunate combination of, timing OKAY we all knew or i think most people knew that twenty seventeen was going to be a, down yere on the field given. All that they had lost combine That with the fact that michigan did not have. That many spots to give. They only took nineteen kids now MAYBE they could, have taken i don't. Know twenty or Twenty one i'm sure our michigan side, will correct me on this But under no circumstances with michigan are going to be able to fit like twenty seven. Kids and load this thing they capitalized last year on a strong year in Which They. Went to the orange bowl they had to weather the storm this year on the field and on the recruiting tree because they knew they weren't, going to be that. Good And, indeed they weren't for michigan twenty eighteen is, kind. Of, make A break right sure if michigan goes out and kicks ass, On the field this Year i'm pretty sure in michigan will go back and dominate. On, the recruiting trail, again sure if they don't then that's back to back years on the field where They're not very impressive and harborough's. Program is not making, progress and then guess what elite kids from out of state probably aren't going. To sign up for that so this has really sort of been a, like, a, Instead of buy sell hold. I'm just kind of holding i'm waiting to see what twenty eighteen, will be on the field and that'll strongly reflect in. The twenty nineteen recruiting class let's look At The rest, of THE big ten quickly because i know you have at least a couple of classes where you know they're not top, heavy with blue chip recruits but in terms of what these teams have done, recently and how they've improved either with new, coaches or just recent success Who Are teams in the big ten that you see as infusing with a. LOT more talent than usual, I, got to tell you dan in the days, after The early signing period, When, i'm talking to coaches hey? What's your, board look like you know is there a kid or two you really? Didn't want? To sign earlier who did the name that KEPT coming up Was was i can't believe minnesota got this kid to sign wow over and over again from Like, major powers In The southeast like receiver rashad baite rated the number sixty. One receiver in, a country. There's no way no way he's a Stud. GOT him Out of Georgia I think georgia and florida, state wanted him to wait. Interesting he didn't do, it minnesota got that kid a, kid who if he waited they would have absolutely signed him one of those, schools Or like you know a florida. OR or Somebody Like. That i like terrelle smith He's. Another kid out of georgia they went And Got down out of. SOUTH gwinnette BIG time cornerback i think i. Think He's An underrated player REMEMBER, benny sap in the Nfl played for Like. The vikings and the, dolphins they got his son who happens to be. A lot taller THAN him he's a corner i like a Lot of. KID out of minnesota TOO O, Lineman from the img academy curtis Dun Nappen, or dunlapp and DANIEL fallele Two kids who i think minnesota's, a Good fit for them right they need to work on. Their Bodies a, little bit in falle's case he just needs to work On. Learning the game foot paul He's Only been in the. United States, for, a year, HE'S australian right huge guy i, Mean six eight FOUR hundred, like, we're not i mean Legit we're. TALKING TY hildon. BRAND size i i Was I was at the orange bowl a Couple Of Years ago when the BIG show was there and i was in. The press elevator with? Him how was that scary balle is Literally The like. Like the big show size that's like there's very few. Humans in life you'll see it's like whoa and and those those two are probably LIKE the two utter like i guess shack like like two of the largest humans. You'll ever see, in person he's that big but he. Needs to. Learn THE game Mm hmm and I Think maryland whereas like jonathan, ogden coming into college football. He, was a football player yeah he was ready, to, Dominate At that size right so minnesota had a really. A heck Of a class i think nebraska Had A. Nice close under scott fast wisconsin kind of does what they do. To get guys that fit although we talked earlier On A periscope on my twitter spn Recruiting that We did with dan in wisconsin for next year. LOOKING really strong right, now i like their, Quarterback they have a lot they've got a number of kids committed who are just Quite frankly better players in wisconsin normally gets so that they might finally be turning these wins gradually into. A slightly better caliber recruits. They're, getting guys drafted highly yeah you Know we're talking, about the watt brothers, absolutely and even around Elsewhere Even. Outside of, the big ten You know, You, like the toledo class like there are, a group of five Classes not Necessarily just in texas and florida that have done a really good job this year. And the early signing period this Is, Who It's Made For. TOLEDO southern miss. COASTAL carolina I Like setting. I, like south carolina's class okay, not a group, of, five let's be clear sure RIGHT but within within the sec they. Might as well be h i'm. Probably, go some, Hate mill, wow that's okay. Now listen it's ABOUT honesty You know Those I mean, toledo GOT gus bradley's kid who i think is going to, fit that offense really well and he not gotten. HURT in his senior year i feel like He would be. A. Surefire POWER five kid wow so i. Like that signing, a lot there's, ANOTHER kid by the way i want to point out early signing period kid, Who if he had waited and this might be like a sort of a cautionary. Tale For kids in futures and i'm not saying don't sign, at, these mid level schools right but There Is no doubt That devon matthews out of jacksonville would have had like a ton better options or not. To, say better bigger options yeah and He waited. For the traditional sunday instead, You. Know, where he went indiana okay this Kid's. Gonna Kill It for indiana and tom Allen. Has, the connection to florida yeah HE'S Probably the most. Talented. dB indiana's ever signed wow and they Also Signed a guy that florida state was on, for, A Long. Time, too right James. Miller yes he, liked indiana he he. Well not a long time apparently that that might, Have, Been An issue there okay florida state didn't Offer, him until real late okay and then it looked like maybe he was under some pressure to sign with schools who. Were, on him for longer okay, He, was sort of like hey are you really going to, play here, as opposed.
Speaker 2: To you know.
Speaker 1: School THAT really wants you and i think that's a cool thing with the early signing period. Some of these, KIDS do this is. Like i think it's important i'm not trying to advocate these kids. Just pick the biggest schools sometimes they do like they just pick the most popular name and can. GET lost in the shuffle I Remember, Sitting next to sean white auburn quarterback on the plane right on the, way back from the opening, and he, was telling me you know he Was probably gonna go to auburn and he. Was LISTENING to the schools and i never want to get, involved IN the. Kids recruitment so i. Didn't you don't, Say anything, in, my head i'm thinking man you were. Just, Picking the biggest name yeah like that is not a good. Fit for your skill set they run the heck out of the quarterback when they Got, a kid when heel yeah and you have a lot of options that, are less like you know famous names of schools that. Probably. Fix your skill set better so maybe the early signing paper will help some of these kids because if you're signed early, with us with the place that school probably really wants you because. They're, committed to, You early Right You, Know minnesota or shot babey mike or might go in.
Speaker 3: There and.
Speaker 1: Start day one that's incredible good for him and he will have that exposure that he, right not necessarily have had and, he will have, you know action in games And will have time to john had. A good career about it i'm. Not trying to, bash, him i'm just now yeah that's just an example. As possed, In, my head i'm like wow that's like the kid. Just, Picking, the biggest name yep well why don't?
Speaker 4: We close, out with This Then again talking with bud elliott here about a whole swath of the nation As It Relates to this national signing day. Part duh in, twenty eighteen but you know we've talked so much about now the early signing period and the traditional late. Signing period through one cycle if, you could sum it up how, Have coaches adjusted their, strategies who has it? Helped who has it.
Speaker 1: Hurt it certainly helped the mid level schools it's really hurting the. Schools. THAT make coaching changes, yeah i mean the look The two biggest Threats to georgia in the. East both make coaching changes georgia put probably two. Years of distance between them everybody else needs, this year with This class Relative to. WHAT florida, and tennessee signed i mean it's going to Take two Full classes of florida and tennessee working their. Butts, off to, Catch up yeah and meanwhile george is. In a talent RICH state it, does, not, I mean Obviously well yeah i mean jordan starts starting to TREAT their State. Like like, usc treats california that's incredible kind of like like the. Writer first refusal type thing is there a story now when you look back at this signing class? That stands out to you is there, anybody's recruitment, where you say you know It's Not. Like crazy like terrell Pryor We had the big jacob copeland today with his mom initially walking off set because it looked like she didn't Want. Him to go to florida, but then they they reconciled so it seemed like it. Ended in a happy way but in terms of is there a, Story that you say this this recruitment Was the most interesting and i'm excited to see. How Things go for, HIM the patzertan thing. Was i mean really interesting and, for Those who don't Know. Obviously cirtancy is From, Louisiana. HE played, it, SUTURN miss i think okay lsu was the leader. For, him like forever years yeah and for saving to go AND, get him away from Lsu and. FOR how well jimbo closed i think THERE'S A dynamic in the sec west now where the PRESSURE it's just totally, On lsu for twenty nineteen like they have got, to do a good job because. Otherwise what are you doing the reasoning behind hiring that. Coaching staff was what recruiting, We Got. A baller recruiter edward ron we're gonna surround. Him with Some Awesome coordinators it's the dabo SWINNING. Model come to the sec except. THE recruiting is not there i mean they're, not doing a Bad job but they're not they're Not making up ground, IN alabama RIGHT and NOW a and M with I Guarantee you Jimbo And, tim, brusher and damian craignose. Guys they're not messing around if you give a guy seventy five million dollars, guaranteed as a head coach they're going to Sign, some kids out of houston which IS a major. Stronghold for lsu as well so that's sort of, a thing when that, happened and, it was like oh man THAT the pressure's on at, lsu and quickly that's incredible and the pressure is on for twenty nineteen and. We're barely, into twenty eighteen, That's recruiting. Ty Feel, good feel good but elliott thank you. Very MUCH for your time and i think it's everything sort of. Wrapping down now for. You it's onto twenty nineteen you've got a lot of sixteen Year olds, to follow on twitter now, so good luck, with everything and once AGAIN Be sure To follow espn recruiting on twitter and of course On, espanation dot com and, facebook and it's you know the recruiting. World if you're into it espianation does the best job of contextualizing. Everything IN a human way and i can say that with honesty because going into message, boards is not. My thing, but it is you know you have. To pay attention to it if, you're a, College. Football fan, thank you. Bud all, Right, thanks man all?
Speaker 4: Right daniel that.
Speaker 1: Does IT oh a marathon but, I, FEEL good about IT ty i feel. Like i trained for this. My joints field not bad i'm. Very happy with, my RESULT true story here if i could.
Speaker 4: Be, honest on this. Program okay let's huddle up it's cold in the house today because we've had a bit of Inclement winter weather in eastern pennsylvania, and the house is cold so we cranked up the heater to, seventy four or seventy five which is. So damn, COLD in, here and uh i thought at least at one point of taking the shirt Off, during the interview?
Speaker 1: WITH bud is that true.
Speaker 4: I thought about doing it i was, very close TO doing it and, then i thought to myself IF anyone finds, out that i did this. It's REALLY gonna. Be WEIRD so i, didn't, but i thought.
Speaker 1: ABOUT yeah, that's Too bad i mean your apple watch probably has a video. Camera in, there, recording something. Probably yeah yeah probably. Not i've done that before WE'VE talked about it when i was in a particularly Hot Room at. The old fox media office but we have done a show together where. With, no show It's right, uh Have We, jacuzzie, oh the. Jacuzzi.
Speaker 4: Show right that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah but other than that now this is this is as good. A time as any time we're going, through a lot of, facts a lot of figures a lot of recruiting names that are turning. Into COLLEGE football player name so i can understand even if it isn't overly warm in whatever, room you're recording this in. You're just. Overheating with.
Speaker 4: KNOWLEDGE that's right that's right i would.
Speaker 1: Have definitely FORGIVEN shedding clothing so if i, WOULD have actually done it. I WOULDN'T have told. YOU but i came close. I walked to that line.
Speaker 4: I didn't step over it so.
Speaker 1: We have you mentioned just some somehouse cleaning. Real quick before we go we have how college football works recruiting this coming week. We're, shooting for that's correct yeah and that is, various angles. Media and parents cut whatever i'll, just how recruiting in general because it is sort. Of a multi tentacled monster just, there are so, many angles and you know there's so. Much happening behind the scene so we're trying to get at least a tip of. The iceberg look, at recruiting we have well we're going to, start recapping and looking forward. Because it's Never Too early our friend bill connolly has already started twenty eighteen. PREVIEWS on spnation Dot Com i just. Saw texas STATE go up we have i, think a scheme theme. Month. Sooner rather than.
Speaker 4: Later March are? WE looking at march there i would Like.
Speaker 3: To.
Speaker 1: SAY we're doing march tie i just. Think we have to edit Just in watching The Super bowl and hearing chris collinsworth sometimes, accurately sometimes not, SO accurately talk about RPOs i think the time is right accounts and really nerd out about, offensive and defensive and hell. Maybe, even special teams schemes.
Speaker 4: Yeah that would be good we haven't done a special, teams one.
Speaker 1: No be special so. We've got that coming up. We've, got a new. Logo yeah check it out you probably you might be. LOOKING at it right now i, don't KNOW on your phone.
Speaker 4: BUT i that. THAT'S good i like it i.
Speaker 2: THINK you do.
Speaker 1: Great work i thank you that. Means A lot to me ty and WE we HAVE. Our ongoing sv two k we want two thousand and five star reviews On iTunes or?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: An apple podcast is, that what it. Is yep, let's, get it come on people, if you. Haven't done. It get there it. Helps it takes two seconds and, if you do Do it, tweet us or. Facebook US let us, know and i promise you this is. My hand to the sky we will.
Speaker 2: Be very.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: Publicly appreciative appreciate it appreciative. That, sounds right to me yeah because. It's been a, Long, day time all right well it.
Speaker 4: Has been A long day you and. I, need to go eat yeah and hopefully everyone out there could donate a chunk of their day to getting caught. Up on all things recruiting Big Thanks as Always to brandon hoffman but elliott a busy day For Both Those. Guys on national signing day to give us so much of their time is really generous and we. Do appreciate it for, sure as you can tell they are wealths of knowledge when it comes to all things recruiting. And HOW this process, works as i said before you will hear more from them next week In Our much. Awaited how recruiting work show we've been working on this, one For over a year so i'm excited to get, it out of the lab take, the bubble wrap off it and, release it into the wild maybe a, little bit later next week okay. To get that one release but the plan is to have that one out in the wild. At Some point. Next week so i'm excited. Let love, what you think as always give us an email at. Soliverble at gmail dot com look us up On, The, Social, media via twitter facebook. Instagram all the usual hotspots we will be there in the Meantime For my good friend Dan Rubenstein Over, there in, New York city bar myself ty Hildebrand. Here a good old allentown we'll catch. You all, in a, week, in meantime stay solid peace