Speaker 1: Peace of the plane in Charlamagne the God here and as we come closer the closing out this year, I just want to say thank you for tuning into the Black Effect podcast network. There have been so many great moments over the past year. Take a listen to some of those captivating moments in this special best of episode.
Speaker 2: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast. With your house now, fuck that with your load glasses, Malone.
Speaker 3: Need to wear heels or something, but I need to start wearing the do you yeah? Can I see? I can barely?
Speaker 4: Yeah? These they wilmas.
Speaker 2: Now all right, then we should be straightened out, right, Well, we already recording.
Speaker 4: So you just looked like a nigga tripping.
Speaker 5: You should have told me that. You should have said we was cool.
Speaker 4: Stop pulling that cap down. Ain't a little crooked. I'm glad. Ain't nobody gonna see this.
Speaker 6: Video, man, That's why I'm you know, ain't nobody.
Speaker 4: You had but that nigga.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you y'all what happened is still Still went to a club the other day and he head butted a man and knocked him out.
Speaker 4: And now he got this little strawberry on his head. Man, where are you by somebody?
Speaker 5: I didn't hear nothing, nobody. I had an incident with my puppy. He was trying to come in the house. I put him outside and I was trying to come back in and he ran in between my legs and I fell and I was trying to grab the door knob and I cracked my head.
Speaker 6: In the side of the house.
Speaker 4: Now imagine that. Imagine the look. Can you hear what he says?
Speaker 3: A little puppy went through your legs. He was trying to catch him and he fell and busted and he went through his legs.
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't trying to catch I was trying to leave him outside because I put him outside because I was coming in the house to do a podcast, and I was left put him outside, and I was trying to beat him back through the door, but he was so quick. He ran through the door at the same time as me, and I kind of tripped over him and I fell and cracked my head.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: You know, I understand freak accidents stuff, So what stories.
Speaker 4: Sound better to know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Where he head butted the man at the bar him sucking with a little lass five.
Speaker 4: I'm six street still six five or some ship man.
Speaker 6: He quick though he went through my legs. Man, he wasn't trying to get left up. Huh. Oh, she she is. My wife just corrected me. She's a girl.
Speaker 4: Oh little bitch.
Speaker 6: My dog alone, I'm calling my dog a bitch.
Speaker 4: Your dog is a bitch.
Speaker 2: That the real life of a bitch. It's so cool to be able to say that. I don't have to pull back nothing. Your female dog is playing with that little bitch. Yep, that's crazy. I feel so empowered.
Speaker 6: He's so horrible.
Speaker 4: How is that horrible? That's probably truth?
Speaker 5: Though, Hey, I wonder you know what I wanted to ask you something now. I know you don't like talking about politics. Oh we're not gonna talk about politics, I promise, But do y'all consider Kamala Harris Black?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: So wait, what did you say her name was?
Speaker 6: Isn't isn't it Kamala Harris?
Speaker 3: I was saying Kamala, but I finally got it right, finally learn that it is Kamala. I think you I thought it was Kamala, but it's Kamala.
Speaker 4: Kamala.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I would say she is.
Speaker 5: She had a drop of black blood. I think as long as you have a drop of black blood and you black, I don't know what the big deal about that is, but I see people making that voting points.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, there's three reasons people are gonna vote for Kamala as y'all pronounce it Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: There's three reasons. One, people hate Donald Trump, they will vote for her to spite. Two people think she's black. Three, she's a woman.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be the smartest one because most people don't want a woman to be in front of the charge of the free world, but there are women that want empower women to put them in that position. There is nothing else to talk about. You don't know nothing about her policies. What policies would you vote for? What policies she listen? If the Democratic Party is smart and this is just me being having a PhD in marketing, I have marketing down to a science. They will lean on those three things every time this motherfucker get in front of people. She should talk shit about Trump, So I will make people vote for her every fucking time. All that orange bastard she's not doing. DA ain't Chapelle need to be right and joke for her. She needs to hire a.
Speaker 8: Woman that don't know how to hold a sentence.
Speaker 4: That's why she needs to make your.
Speaker 3: Oh, make it funny, because.
Speaker 2: Her is because she's not Donald Trump, because she's not policies. Nobody even know her policies. She got into business for you to know her policies. And if you listen to her as a politician, everything about her is politician one O one. Like if you ask her a question, she repeats the question back with nuance and shit, but never answers the question. Like that's like politician one all of them. Still, it's not all of them. Some of them are men.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump was in front of the Association of Black Journalists yesterday and they asked him about the signing Masie deal. He said, okay, under your plan, would that officer be granted clemency? He said, oh, are you talking about the thing with the water. He didn't even know what was going on, or that was his way of being.
Speaker 4: Smart, but he never never.
Speaker 8: He plays them very well.
Speaker 4: Trump is not.
Speaker 8: He knew exactly what he was talking about. He just didn't have a damn answer. Because they said before that he wasn't able to go through the talking points, and they were upset about that because he wanted to be briefed on it before he went in front of them, and they wasn't doing that. They're like, no, you're gonna sit here and do whatever. He wasn't feeling none of that. He told him that they were that they.
Speaker 4: Didn't get at him.
Speaker 2: They did get at any foul they did. They just kind of just start grilling anything like him. Yeah, but that's the point, so then you gotta take it when you dish it. You gotta I'm not a Donald Trump fan.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't vote for their politician. I'm not voting for Donald Trump because he's not giving reparations. And I'm not voting for Come on common Luck because she's not getting reparations.
Speaker 4: I'm not voting for nobody that don't have black issues.
Speaker 2: I definitely wouldn't vote for somebody because they appear black to me. He definitely put it into a place where he couldn't lose. Okay, if marketing First off, No Seilings. This is the No Seilings podcast.
Speaker 6: G L.
Speaker 2: Pete is in California for this podcast. I couldn't get the cameras up and running, so we didn't tape. But the conversation is everything in podcasting.
Speaker 7: But as long as we say that I'm in California, that allows us to say I'm in California routinely with no cameras and no one will no, I'll be to Rick Ross of geography.
Speaker 2: Oh man anyway, So I'm saying, right, he's still just covering kind of the experience, and I agree. So you feel like in other artists you get more of them.
Speaker 4: Like like, yeah, and who's to say, like I got listen.
Speaker 2: I in my mind, I've never been critical of Ross, right, but I have said things that were a bit honest, you know, when somebody's asking me about my journey.
Speaker 4: Like I talked to Charlotte Mane on the Breakfast Club. Y'all go check that out.
Speaker 2: It was an interview from twenty and nineteen, really dope conversation.
Speaker 4: Was talking about two Pac months die.
Speaker 2: And I told him that I felt forced to be more honest in transparent with the experiences of Los Angeles street urban culture because of artists like Rick Ross right where he was like he put it on so thick, so the average everyday person could see the image right, because I actually sold dope right in high school. I so dope, like I actually touched birds, like I've actually, you know, had a key load too, I've actually had gallons of PCP.
Speaker 4: Like these are not things as far.
Speaker 2: But again, if you tell people that it's hard for the average person who's not around and remember hip hop is this very you know, ghetto or street urban culture is a very small place a spec in America. It's not like it's a lot of ghettos in America. That's the confusion as people believe there's a lot of ghettos in America and they're not.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's only a handful.
Speaker 2: And that's what it makes somebody like you, you know, when you come to watch and you come to where we're from, is you could tell like this shit is really it's a regular community.
Speaker 4: But this is real. So when when I look at somebody like like Rose right and and and.
Speaker 2: He's trying to paint the image of Miami drug dealer, but and this is the brilliance of what he does as a marketing person, go ahead, I'm sorry, No, I was just gonna say I.
Speaker 4: Think that really.
Speaker 7: Maybe we're missing all of what Rick's whole thing is, if I would step back and look at the totality of his career, he's selling opulent consumption.
Speaker 4: Go further, opulent consumption.
Speaker 7: His He's really really selling a lust for money and expensive ship. In the first album, there was a lot of It was a lot of how'd I get how would you have the money, how would you know a person with this kind of money spend it?
Speaker 6: Or whatnot?
Speaker 7: It's really a lot about maybox music. He didn't he didn't call it fish scale music. Go to Maybock, sure, and it was about cars and speeding in the boats.
Speaker 4: And the perception of wealth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he kind.
Speaker 9: Of graduated, or at least gradually drifted away from talking about I did all this drug dealing to spend all this money, to just I'm just buying all.
Speaker 4: This shit off time.
Speaker 7: That's where he's just talking about all the crap is buying.
Speaker 2: And I agree, But even to the motherfucking marketing mind of what he's doing, you know, I'm lending this thought to the marketing mind. He understood something that I didn't understand. He understood most people have no idea about dope dealing. Because I agree, Ross's goal was to sell wealth. He always painted it from the beginning to the end. Now to the place where he don't even have to talk about selling dope. He can just talk about wealth.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: But he was saying, hey, this person, the reason I have wealth is because of this life down the street urban culture that Miami made famous. And he knew most people didn't have any ideas of what it is. So he painted the people. He connected most people who never had any experience and said culture. He gave them points to where they can get into what he was saying. Because he did say he knew nord Riega. Because if he says he knew Rayful, you know, if he knew Rayful Edmunds, they wouldn't know who that is.
Speaker 4: If he said he knew.
Speaker 2: Was the first King Zoe or whatever that waterhead bowl, Waterhead bow out here, or if you knew little Daryl in the Bay, people wouldn't know who that is.
Speaker 4: He knew that they would know who.
Speaker 2: Norie is because most Americans have heard that person's name because the government pursued him.
Speaker 4: He also dressed.
Speaker 2: Like the movie idea of drug dealing, like the the Colombian guys in the film Scarface, where Lenen, and that's.
Speaker 9: Not how he used the Scarface track beat.
Speaker 4: Just like jez Jesu. If you listen to TM one on one.
Speaker 2: I was saying it the other day, like it's probably one of the top five greatest albums out of the South. But I never realized how fucking corny it was until recently because I heard all of the Scarface in the window and I didn't pay because I never saw that movie. But you know, when I kind of i've over that time since it first came out to now I've seen little parts on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Obviously YouTube is.
Speaker 2: The thing Instagram, so you see clips and now you're starting to kind of be.
Speaker 4: A little bit more familiar.
Speaker 2: Even though nothing has demanded for me to watch the film, right It's like, nothing really about it seems interesting to me still right now, but listening to those parts and now when I listen to TIM one on one, you know, Gez and them sonically did the same.
Speaker 4: Thing Ross did you know, and Ross just painted.
Speaker 2: It, you know, in a way to where more people could be like, oh, I see what he's about. Like the story was a lot more consumable for mainstream America, even if not for us, because I don't think I ever cared if he actually so dope at I don't think I ever even started off thinking like he's so dope. Honestly, I don't think that was my thought when I first heard hustling. Hustling always felt like I don't give a fuck if you got a carpet cleaning business, you hustling. You know, That's the feel it always gave me. So I think he had that part right, you know what I mean, Because like as somebody like Iced Tea always tell me, like whenever we talk, he like, man, you are so rich in culture, how you talk. Most people don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you talk like everybody from where we're from. And it hit me like the average person don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Click click pool, y'all kick the frame in Nigga, Let the games begin. As I stand there, talk the talk cand on the campus of the Land of the scam Lists taking penitentiary chances. Sick wooded Off, the rick wooded blue Beanie, knitted, freshly acquidted, grind Grimeley, the big Body, and the big Body with lyrics and drulics, hotter than a hobby selling, Globo, bailing career, felling, Escalate three Brave Beer, where fucking a thug for free and thug eat Niggas call me your whole kid because I love the cheese, Janins, hustlers, pimps. If you follow me, let me see you put your hands up like a robbery. I solemnly swear to stay down and slain the seat.
Speaker 4: I spit in the name of the streets. I'm gone.
Speaker 3: A row.
Speaker 6: Of sea is hard.
Speaker 4: Niggas are real live city.
Speaker 2: What's funny is when niggas be talking about Dub and they really got on him because of when he became a better songwriter, right, and it really the chance that the chance style, you know what I mean, that made him like such a better songwriter. But most people only discovered him, you know, because his songwriting got better, right, the records got better, So now you're hearing it the more right and it worked out for and well. But it's funny that people don't realize how dope of an MC he is.
Speaker 4: Just flat out.
Speaker 5: Oh Dubb is a lyricist. I think people get caught too cut up with the bing bang bang and all that stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Which is necessary, which is necessary if you want to be a great songwriter, Like when he did the Top Head.
Speaker 5: My favorite one from him is that's right, y'all. Go ahead, dub go ahead, rock that ship the top shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah on my trade walk Jaggie as fuck with the slow fuck Temple.
Speaker 4: I drove a prom to that song.
Speaker 6: That song was hard.
Speaker 2: You are the ones, you are the ones you you Yeah, dub So thinking about early dub C, you know what I'm saying, like low profile, hearing some of his stuff when I was younger, then hearing it as an adult mass circle, you know what I'm saying, Like he was already an EMC. You could tell he was like vested in hip hop a lot different than more West Coast artists. But you know, even as he developed into a better record rider where he would have those jingles and chants, that is amazing. And it's funny that again people define him as an MC that way. They're like, oh, this is the type MC is, Like na Dug really wrapped for me. But he also became such a better record It's like hearing the later ice Cube without hearing the early ice Q. Like if you never heard kill that will you know Death Certificate Hid America's most you know, straight out of Compton, any of that stuff, and you only heard you know, uh, and you only heard like dubs like ice Cube off West Side Connection, you know what I mean, where he's a got lyrics to Wake of Spirits. They showed me how to spin big heads. Oh no, they showed me how to wake digits and spin digits.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like if you hear him later on where he's yeay yay, I pushed R Like if you only heard that ice Cube, you kind of missed what made ice Q fantastic as an MC before the record.
Speaker 5: Writer listening to pay Dues dub C and listening to later dub C has two different experiences because pay Due's dub C was hard to see h too. But when he started just thinking about Halleen Genistad, he was to put top Cat in your rep that you do stage right for the Radical Evening. We got the mass circle in the house this evening. Get down, then you're done quite rock rocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hard, harding, but to me, like the mastery part of m saying dog is when you do something that becomes your own. See, like, yes, there is a traditionally dope MC where they just put words together and they have a decent flow and you know the words. But then there's a mastery as a rapper where you start to do things that only become you doing that. That's where to me, dub C is at or ice Q, where they start to do things that uniquely become just their own.
Speaker 5: That's well, you know what the thing is, man, And I know we feel in this conversation we was gonna talk about some whole other stuff. The thing about Duve what people don't understand is that Dub is a master human beat boxer. Dub is a master free style of Dub is a real.
Speaker 4: MC, your master.
Speaker 2: And it's funny you saying that, you know, whereever fuck with the conversation was supposed to go.
Speaker 4: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think there's a difference between a rapper and a MC. Like a MC is judged by really how they write for the most part, and you wouldn't think they are, but they're really judged by how they're right, how they write you know, double entendres, similes, you know, blah blah blah, or master rapper is judged by how dope their professional rap songs are. So a lot of the times when we call somebody just rapping on a corner rapping, Yes, rapping, but that's really MCing their control in the space too. Yeah, but a rapper is really judged by how, you know, they actually make a rap record work. And it's funny because I think as a as an MC, I'm on a like a final level of getting to where that is to where uniquely what I do is only minds. I haven't got there yet where Dub is at so or where Cube is at or where jay Z is at, it's still a step.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like it's like when you find that glow, like with a Bruce Lee Roy.
Speaker 5: It's like glow. They got the glow for sure. I'm gonna tell you one of my most memorable experiences, me and high C probably performed a choir Canyon Is probably a hundred times easily. And I remember it was high C, dub C and MC breed resident pre SMC Breed And for dub just to have the awareness that we was in the house full of Mexican people and he said, well, just this list shit like we're all my latinos at and how they went crazy and how he just started getting his walk on and he just did all that fly gangs and stuff that night. Even for Breed to come out there and have the awareness to say, Okay, I'm not gonna do all these songs. He just started off with to the beat, y'all, That's dope and one and gonna kill a vibe and he just had a rocking dog. He did that song three times in the row.
Speaker 2: That night, and people want to hear it, especially that song. I'm I'm I know I'm a master MC. I mean I'm at a place to where I write uniquely in my own style, my own flow, my own pace, a master rapper where I master a rap style to where when you hear it every time you can separate him be like, oh that's just glasses no. And to me it's like I probably can MC as great as you can MC. Like I could probably be on a song with rock Kim or a song with card Face and have a memorable verse, But can I make I seen a man and die? Is true mastery as a rapper, not as MC as a rapper. You know, to have a sixteen that I can compete with, I can compete with Lil Wayne When at a time I knew I couldn't. Like now, I can compete with Lil Wayne when we're rapping on the same song, But can I make a MILLI Can I make a rap song that becomes infinitely mind to where you hear it. You could automatically say that's a glasses rap song, And to me, it's the difference between m singing and rapping. I ain't no big political guy, bro, you know I ain't really you know what I guess. In the streets, I'm more aware of policies. I'm more of my world of politics, you know what I mean, where the street policies are dominant. But as far as American policies, you know what I mean, I'm really I get it. I get it makes sense to me to some degree. Like it's really hard for me because even like something like abortion, you know, I get kind of both sides of it. Now, I'm probably like more to the ladder of like you probably shouldn't get abortions, you know what I mean. But then I do understand those particular instances where somebody got raped and maybe somebody may die if they deliver a child, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you know I don't necessarily agree with the woman's body, because I just think that's such a disingenuous you know, debate. Like just when I think about policies, you know what I mean, My problem is to me, they seem too simple.
Speaker 4: Like which ones well, just how they should be.
Speaker 2: America should be a country that depends on itself. Sure, now I don't know how that lines up right. So I don't like the fact we outsource so many things, you know what I mean, and even compared to like my hip hop career. Like I feel like one thing my hip hop career did take punishment in it was too many things outsourced. When I first came into this business, like I believed in bringing everything in house.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: My older brother, some of my team, they didn't really understand that. They were so used to just you know how they saw you know, rap and hip hop going because they were more vested in it than I was. But I remember walking in thinking to myself, like, yo, I'm not going to I'm not going to uh, I'm not going to sell tickets to perform for somebody else.
Speaker 4: I'm going to book the venue myself.
Speaker 2: I'm going to press up my CDs and and and push them throughout the West Coast myself, like even how I wanted my own record deal when Freeway Rick and Hamie Mani from John Street both who homes shout out to them brothers, but they was gonna give me seven hundred to seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars in two thousand and five to launch Blue Division then, and that was my goal. I really listened to Pool, my older brother. He wanted to do the deal with Sony, like they wanted to do a record deal with cash money in different people, so you know.
Speaker 4: They were more vested in hip hop. So I listened to them.
Speaker 2: But where we at now, like it's hard for me to listen to other people who aren't as vested, but I still do listen even if I don't take the advice. I listen, But I also know the path I want to walk, and I'm still you know, tweaking things because really this path doesn't exist today. Like the last time this path existed was probably like in the sixties and seventies, before you know, corporations got involved into black music, you know what I mean, when you had to do it yourself. And that's my mentality, Pete, Like I really believe, like yo to make this happen for Glasses and alone. As an artist. Glasses is a is a is a person of people. Like I've always done well when it's me and people, but whenever, you know, you get behind the curtain, like, no artist is gonna be able to be There's not an artist today that's going to do better in a room full of strangers than me, you know what I mean, There's.
Speaker 4: Not an artist today.
Speaker 2: And I could really say that, like, there's not an artist today that will do better in a room full.
Speaker 4: Of strangers than I would. True, it don't.
Speaker 2: Matter which room it could be, the paless white folks that don't even like Negroes, to the streetest most violent negroes in the history of the world, the whole spectrum, you know whatever, all colors in between. That's always worked for me, and I know that that's been my gift, that that worked for me. Well, I look at the same with policies, Whereas, like I really believe in America, bro that has that that's forced to fend for itself, that has to create its own products, that has to create its own cars, that has to create everything, because to me, it makes sense to create jobs, right, That's how you create jobs economy that pours into itself and rewards itself. So to me, that's what makes it simple. That's the whole concept of policy. Everything else is just bullshit, you know what I mean, Every other part of it to me is just bullshit. Like that's the simple part of it. This country should be pouring into itself, I mean, and rewarding itself for porn. It should be this cycle of things happening for Americans.
Speaker 6: I agree with it.
Speaker 7: I think that like the way I would illustrate, like my opinion. You know, how policy and the job marketing US economy works is like a like the Hoover dam. Our economy needs to grow in advance. You know, it's going to grow in advance faster than the rest of the world. So you don't want to like have a big block of people stuck with these like low paying pedestrian jobs that like really don't fit here. So you kind of kind of but you have to you have to manage the flow. You can't just open and let all the water flood out like we did. You have to hold a reservoir of domestic jobs while you strategically, you know, let the water out of the bottom at the same rate that it's coming in to keep that water line stable, and we don't do a good job of that because people want to you know, dump water or buy water downstream, or however the hell you want to look at it.
Speaker 2: Outside of crude oil, do we need to depend on another country for something else?
Speaker 7: We don't need to depend on crude oil. We were net oil exporters during the Trump era. We got we have so much freaking oil.
Speaker 6: It's absurd.
Speaker 7: We have so much fossil fuel energy sources in this country on our own land rights. It is utterly absurd. That's just purely EPA policy because for whatever reason, Democrats feel better about themselves when they buy oil from other countries than when they buy it from here.
Speaker 4: That's it. That's it. So what I would like to believe now, this is my intellect kicking in. Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's limited information, so I can't even trust it.
Speaker 4: A's just intellect.
Speaker 2: But I genuinely believe when you start to pump too much oil, like oil and water is the is the Earth's life blood, right, and it does replin. It's just like blood replenis is in our body. We could get shot and love some blood and eventually our bodies will repent it, you know, will replenish blood. And I do think you can only pull so much, you know, so often, you know, before the earth needs to replenish blood, you know.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense? Yeah? So is there anything we need to depend on for another country? Like?
Speaker 2: Is there something we do not that that cannot be made in this country that we need to depend on another country for?
Speaker 7: There might be some rare earth mineral things. Everything really just comes down to cost. Truth be told, we could do everything here, but a lot of people don't want to pay eighteen hundred dollars for a television. Yeah, that's really what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what if you can afford an eighteen hundred dollars television? Do you get what I'm saying?
Speaker 7: Get I get what you what you're saying? This issue is like there's a disassociation with verticals and costs and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: So at some point I think it comes down to, like, all right, you're going to pay all these people who make television blank dollars here and they'll have the money to buy televisions. But like, the consumption rate doesn't always outrun the production rate. So the demand doesn't always stay on track with the supply, so when that starts to happen, the company will go out of business because they're paying an awful lot of money to make each television. And then there's the demand you know doesn't keep up.
Speaker 1: Once again, thank you for tuning into the Black Effect Podcast Network. Seeing you in twenty twenty five for more great moments from your favorite podcast.