Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear.
Speaker 2: Listeningcast, you can't predict anything.
Speaker 1: The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for el, First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I T E dot com. Well, I'm gonna talk about first. I'm not even gonna introduce who's here, because I'm gonna talk about something that's such a I don't know how to put it. It's so sad and depressing as when I talk about it for a minute, and then we're gonna put it behind us and we're gonna introduce who's here? Uh I somehow did you guys know? I didn't even know about this till Maggie Hudlow wrote about it it on our website. So Maggie Hudlow has a piece up on our website. Twenty year old face is involuntary manslaughter charge for duck hunting accident. This happened down to Wyoming on January twenty of last year. But I hadn't heard about it. These three friends go duck hunting. One of them had never been hunting, was interested in getting started in hunting. His friends invite him out to go hunting. H One of the kids has a you know, has an accident with his gun. It kills his buddy and now has is facing some serious charges. Student at the University of Wyoming. I lived up because a couple a couple of things. You know, we're hunting with the flying v guys, teohing, I'm looking at cow butties.
Speaker 3: I've never got the invite to go hunt with those guys.
Speaker 1: You weren't there hunting with them one time, chilling ones.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: I hunted with them once. Anyways, they do this thing they do. They do when they're getting ready, when they set up and they're getting ready to hunt, they tell a story that almost makes you not want to hunt about duck blind safety. Like they're like, hey, I know everybody's having a good time, but before shooting light begins and before we pick up our shotguns, we're gonna have a talk. And they do this every they sell me. They do it every time they hunt. And they tell a story about a death and a duck blind and uh and they would say, and none of those people ever hunted ever again with that right, Yeah, Oh it's sobering, but I just wanted to acknowledge it. I just yeah, it's just like, you know, for even the kid that you know, I mean, this kid could fad. And I'm not saying like I'm not criticizing prosecutors at all, but in this accident, a maximum penalty of twenty years in prison. Me like to go and put the emphasis on the person's in trouble. I'm not trying to do that. I mean, a kid died. It's just be careful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it has to be talked about because we talk about all the fun things and the food and in this case, the dogs. You know, it's like waterfowl huntings are great. It's also, you know, in my experience, like the place where accidents are going to happen. If I'm going to be got in such a way in the hunting world, it's not gonna be during archery season. It's not gonna be during rightful season. It's going to be during waterfoul season. And it is the ultimate responsibility sport because a very simple mistake can result in the loss of a human life.
Speaker 1: Think about how familiar this sounds. This is according to the investigating officer. They're having a problem with one of their shotguns. They set the shotgun aside use the other shotgun. A while later, he returns to trying to figure out what the hell's wrong with the shotgun.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, and it is. That's that's the distraction, right, It's like it's no longer a gun. It becomes this issue within the thing, and then it's you're it's a distraction. Yeah, it's terrible with that.
Speaker 1: Joined today by Chris Danny.
Speaker 5: Chris, I'm.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Make you coming after that? Uh, we're joined by a bunch of people. I gonna get there, but real quick. People are familiar with you.
Speaker 4: Now are they?
Speaker 1: They don't know it what they are. Where are you from?
Speaker 4: I'm from Little Rock, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're uh when was it Krinn in twenty twenty three? First off, Chris, I realized only recently you never.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 1: You didn't know this. We tried really really hard, multiple times to license one of your songs for our podcast.
Speaker 4: M dude, Oh really it's I don't know why it was so hard to get a hold of me. I'm so really good on all that stuff. People thought I was dead recently.
Speaker 1: When you're If the Roses Don't Kill Us, am I saying that right?
Speaker 7: That's right, okay.
Speaker 1: When your album If the Roses Don't Kill Us came out, I've listened to that album like a million times.
Speaker 4: Awesome, a million times thank.
Speaker 1: You taste, loved it, loved it, loved it, liked everything about it. And one of the songs I liked the whole damn album. One of the songs I liked was uh, I like the happy and sad, so I liked all that shit. But ride On Okay became a favorite, and it became and I keep I've told this story before on the Show's At some point in time we had talked about, like now that the issue will come up and we'll talk about it, talk about and talk about talking about it. Something's kind of coming in the news, and so now and then it's will struggle to put a thing to bed, uh huh. And I remember one time, like we had talked about a thing so much that someone said something like, uh, someone said, you know, we beat the horse to death, okay, And I said to a colleague, I'm like, hey, go try to get permission to use the song ride on, because in it, the point is we've done beat this damn horse to death this time to ride on. And so they come back and like, well, you know this, and that it requires us and that to license the song or not, and I'm like, well, okay, we're just gonna do it one time, but then it lives forever. So then it wound up being well, maybe we just have to license it for eternity or like some long period of time. And then we dropped it. And then later on I again said, man, we should try to go license the song right on, and eventually got a license, and I assumed that whoever was doing it was dealing with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we had sort of a falling out. I've been hard to work with over the years, and so it just I just sort of just wasn't doing that anymore, and a lot of things just didn't work out the way I wanted. I said no to a bunch of things I probably should have said yes to, got it And anyways, this all ends up being me and my career are sort of strangers. And then I started playing in a bluegrass band called the gravel Yard, and I just really loved it because it really challenged me because that's a tough music to play. It's very fastes and it's just wild. And so I'm really glad I did that because it got me back into playing. And also I met Charlotte in the gravel Yard and started dating, so yeah, she's here with me. She has to keep me in line.
Speaker 1: But You've been a musician your whole life, right.
Speaker 4: I have been since. I actually have videos of me dressed up in a cowboy hat with feathers on it and my shirt tucked in and like alligator skin boots when I was like four years old, singing all the words to like pretty much every country's song that came on the radio, and I knew all the words, like it was crazy. I wanted to do it from the time I was really young. So it's it makes it that much more bittersweet sometimes that I've had this issue with keeping my career in check and it's just taking me a long time to mature. Honestly, I thought I knew a lot of things that I had no idea about, and there were other things I was so worried about that didn't really, they weren't that important to me as a person. They were just ego trip sort of things I was dealing with, you know, and worrying too much about how I looked doing what I was doing instead of what I was doing, you know, and the outcome of that being positive for my life. You know, a lot of people don't learn that sort of thing, and there's a lot of people that are born just surviving, you know, And so it's just it's taking me a while to come around. You know, I got it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna dig in on that. You're gonna play some music for us. Yeah, we're gonna talk about if the roses don't kill us. First, we all hear a cautionary tale about drinking with musicians.
Speaker 4: I've got some of those.
Speaker 1: Real quick. Tony Peterson is with us, Doctor Randall Chester Chili, Cal, Charlotte, Chili. We keep wanting to chili. Can you tell the cautionary tale about drinking? Set it up? Should I set it up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see that. Because you love this story. Yeah, so it's my favorite. Now your story. So I don't know about that. Hold your guitar up, Hold your guitar up. Chili. So Uh. I only thought we're doing this only now because now and then we have musicians in so we so we had co Wetzel, We had co Wetzel on the show, and when he was in town to do the show, we went duck hunt and Chili thought it would be a good idea to go out drinking with those guys. They get to playing pool, and they get to bet, and then they get to drinking and eventually they start trading shotguns.
Speaker 8: In a nutshell, yeah, in a nutshell No. Actually, our lovely Carinn texted me and said, hey, you need to send We need to get these guys some some duck hunting stuff. And it was a Sunday Veterans Day weekend and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'll do that.
Speaker 8: And so I meet them at the local watering hole the Cat'spaw You're Mosman classic joint for those of you who don't know, and hand off the gear and they invite me to stay. The Cowboys were playing that night and they're all those boys from Texas. So but yeah, and you know, I had a few drinks. I would say it's more of a cautionary tale about just making making trades when you don't have what you want in hand.
Speaker 3: So anyways, you.
Speaker 8: Know, for the and then for those of you who don't know CO probably I think he CO plays with the Gibson like J forty five on stage or something like that. And he saw my shotgun in the back of my truck and I said, hey, you want trade, I'll take that one of your guitars that you play with on stage.
Speaker 1: And he was like, yeah, man, that's all right, that's cool. Let's do that and tell the shotgun your head.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The shotgun I was running at the time was a Frankie twelve gage. I was actually the first shotgun I ever purchased, like me personally, well, like I went.
Speaker 1: Some kind of hand me down or whatever.
Speaker 8: No, no, I went to Shields there in South Dakota and I bought it and that was like that was mine. Yeah, and then you derived in life. Yeah, I had made it. I think it was my eighteenth birthday. Brought some scratch offs, some cigars, and a shotgun, joined the Marines and then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The American way trying to bring your shotgun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wouldn't left.
Speaker 8: But yeah, and so well, so we agree, and you know, it's just a shotgun. I guess it's not super important, but I was excited to get potentially like the Gibson J forty five.
Speaker 3: Really nice guitar.
Speaker 1: Or something, or just something something that's not this thing.
Speaker 10: Well you got something.
Speaker 3: So you're saying as as you guys.
Speaker 1: Not watching, for everybody not watching on our YouTube channel, it's uh when he when he says something he's got a guitar, and what's that on hundred fifty doar guitar? Yeah, it's about about with a big picture of licking his fingers his finger. Yeah, he's staring at licking off his finger.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's also that kind of photography with a hard shadow in the background.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's like too much primo. He also for those that are not watching the video, and even the ones that are, I probably can't see this, but for the nickname is c h I l l y always cold, always cold chili, Yes, and he likes He decided to spell it c h I l I So he likes like chili, like a bollet chill.
Speaker 4: You're too hot?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, but really I think that upsets me. Oh and when he addressed it and he sent it to me, it said Aaron, which is obviously not my first name, and so.
Speaker 3: He's the type of guy who wants a dude licking his finger on his guitar, not a chili.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 11: I was so excited as I had just bought a D eighteen. Yeah, and we play together sometimes, so I was like, oh man, what's what's he going to send you?
Speaker 7: What's he going to send you?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: I know you're trying to spin this off as something other than the cautionary tale about drinking, but I think it's cautionary tear about drinking. Well, we'll let the we'll let the viewers decide what. I don't think they ever should have repealed prohibition. I really know. We you can get into that because a jump much money out of head if they hadn't, if they hadn't repealed prohibition, probably have more than you have now. I have more brain cells too, probably, and you'd have more more.
Speaker 3: Shot or a better guitar.
Speaker 8: But yeah, anyway, some months go by and like I don't get anything, and like I'm you know, I'm not worried about it. I'm just kind of like, you know, I'll take it for what it is. Maybe just chalk this up to as a loss and then and it's like six months go by and I finally get a guitar in the mail and it comes in a cardboard box. It doesn't look like it's in a hard case or anything like that, and I'm like, I'm not too excited about this, and uh so I opened it up and there's old Cole Wetzel licking ice cream off his finger or whatever, and.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's ice cream.
Speaker 8: Well anyways, so that yeah, that's my story, and I, uh am I mad now now, I mean because.
Speaker 1: Think about the joy it's brought me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know everywhere we go, You're like, you know, let me, there's probably.
Speaker 1: So much joy. I'm already to buy you the shotgun because I don't drink, so I have a lot of money. I'm already to buy you the shotgun that did, or buy you the guitar you wanted, just because I like telling the story about that guitar so much. I've gotten I've got a thousand bucks out of pleasure out of that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, six months from now, get a picture of Steve locking his.
Speaker 1: Finger on the guitar.
Speaker 6: Chilli.
Speaker 1: When that thing in my locking finger picture, I'm gonna have a look up this is a look of satisfaction. Yeah, I'm gonna have a look of like.
Speaker 10: When you opened the box and saw that, did you pick it up and strum it as you would, I assume any other guitar in the world, or did you just slide it back down into the box.
Speaker 3: No, I can honestly say I didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't tune this guitar until Chester is over at my place about two weeks ago. I've had this guitar for probably over a year and a half.
Speaker 3: Now, well, we tried to.
Speaker 8: We tried and it didn't work, and like then I tried again. Yeah, it's just like.
Speaker 1: Chili, play a couple of licks on air. Just sing your favorite song, something you wrote. It's gonna be something you wrote. Oh I love Chili's voice. This is not a good guitar to do this. Hun First, lick your finger. Maybe he cut his finger on the string and he's licking the blood off it.
Speaker 8: He's got a cocktail and I found out because one of his buddies moved up here, and uh, I was like, hey, you need to text co Wetzel and like say thanks for the guitar. Chili really likes it, and that's what he did, and co texted back and said that one of these guitars sold at auction for like thirty six k. Yeah, and I'm like, huh, I don't know who would have bought that, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean that's just a taste.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to christ Jenny. Do you let other people play guitar?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh yeah, you can play.
Speaker 1: Just a little quick lick. Just want I want everybody see how talented Chili is. You should get a record deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: She might use it. That's sweet looking rig right there? Man, I like call the little black tear drops missing?
Speaker 3: Hey Chester, do you want to point your mic at the guitar a little bit?
Speaker 1: Strike? Play clear Tony Peters. In a minute, we're gonna talk about big box. So get ready, what are the words forgot him? Get a mouth on you. I can have a scene.
Speaker 2: As that guys watching you.
Speaker 1: On the big screen.
Speaker 7: Then we went had and drink.
Speaker 2: Up too.
Speaker 7: From man on a new and food.
Speaker 1: He's taking, ladies, so take me mad. I can't play it very well taken?
Speaker 12: Yeah, taking?
Speaker 8: But yeah that's it, Thank you man, Good work, Chili, It's great story.
Speaker 1: Put me on the spot, Ladies, gentlemen, Chili, Chili cheval What the hell is your last name? Cheval Art, Yeah, that's it. Chi now yeah, all right, Tony Peterson Foundation's podcast on Cal's feed. I got that. Oh you know what else I forgot to say? Remember a minute going out was saying to people, if you want to see the guitar, you need to go. You have to go to our podcast network YouTube channel. So are we still we're still talking about this? Yes, just for the time, for for the rest of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how advertising works.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh.
Speaker 3: Uh oh Riley.
Speaker 1: For the beginning of the rest of time or for the rest of time. If you want to see the shows on our podcast network, if you want to see the video, the podcast network video, how much try to I struggle with this. If you want to watch the videos on YouTube, They're not on the normal me eater YouTube feed anymore. We've created our own indo like we've created our own podcast network feed. So go to the meat Eater podcast. Go to YouTube search me Eater podcast network, subscribe there, watch this and you'll be able to see Chili's linger ficking good guitar, fingerlicking good guitar good. All right now, Tony Peterson just recently wrote an article for us and he's in He's in the room today instead of joining remote. Stop believing you live in a mature buck black hole. Everybody does. Everybody does, everybody does. You don't leave this true?
Speaker 13: No, I don't think it's true. Can I Can I say something? I want to give Corinna suggestion here. The more of these podcasts I do with you, I'm a little surprised he hasn't slipped some adderall into your coffee in the morning, just to keep you on the straight and narrow, because there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of I got a lot of jumping around, and.
Speaker 13: Now I'm just I'm kind of obsessed with the idea, not just in I mean I apply it to hunting, right. But everybody's like, oh, if I only lived in Iowa, i'd have big bucks, or if I only lived this place, or if I had this property, And I'm like, they're out there all over No, yeah they are. What did you kill an Oklahoma on public land down there?
Speaker 1: Nice little bark? Now?
Speaker 13: Do you think that most people hunting that public land would consider that a little buck?
Speaker 1: No? Right, that'd be a nice buck? Right? And how many people do you think you I was just trying to counter your argument. But adderall is of ADHD medication. The Mitchepburd joke where he he's not afflicted, he doesn't have ADHD, but his buddy he takes one of his buddies ADHD pills, and then he said. I spent the rest of the day thinking to myself, there's got to be more to that story. Anyways, go on, Yes, yeah, they're all over it, but I feel like some places they're not though. But it's all relative, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, so we talk a lot like fishing six inch Brookie stream and then you get a seven inch brook drought, right, Holy cow, look at the size of this thing, right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but I think in the white tail space, a lot of people sort of talk down on like if you take the Pope and young minimum hundred and twenty five inches for a typical, people will talk about like a little one hundred and twenty five inch or like a young like it's kind of like a they're kind of dismissive of it. Yeah, but I would bet that ninety nine percent of all deer hunters out there that see one hundred and twenty five incher walking down the trailer, like there's a big buck coming and I'm gonna sure, and it's that's not like that crazy of a bar to get to, and so so much of this is like just kind of in our heads, you know, like I know Chris is probably going to get into this, but I was. I was reading the story about you the Carencent out to us, and that kind of mentality sort of bleeds into all parts of our lives. Like you think, oh, I can't get sober, I'm wired wrong. It's like now you have this built an excuse to fail, you know, like I'm never going to kill a big buck because I don't live where they're at. And I think that's I think when you start with that mindset, you're just screwed because you've already given yourself an hop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the guy that wrote in that we always like to have a laugh about who wrote in a letter to us that was signed a piste off Michigan deer hunter, and it was it was that by the time the hunting season opens, all the big buck have been killed right by youth hunters right and crossbow hunters in whatever right, they're not there anymore. Yeah, I mean it's defeatist, right.
Speaker 13: It's easier to have a built in excuse for failure than to put in the work to get there, you know. I mean you see this a lot. You're seeing people, a lot of Colorado residents are really celebrating. The non residents are now in twenty twenty five and beyond, it's going to be all draw for ELK tags, you know, no more over the counter. And you see these guys who are like, you can't go out and kill a bowl on public land in and over the counter unit can do it? Too much pressure, too many non residents. And I go, there are people who drive in from Pennsylvania who do that, and you live there.
Speaker 1: But your idea knowing that but thousands right, yeah right.
Speaker 13: I've never had a bad hunt on a over the counter hunt on public land out there, It's all. I've always had opportunities. And I look at that and I go, the reason that you don't is because you've given yourself and out you're not going to put in the work. And that's just everybody nobody likes to hear. Tony Well, this is I get, dude, I get so fired up. You're gonna trigger me here here, cal I get so fired up about this resident non resident fighting thing where I never hear anybody say, wow, the pressure on public land is more than it was ten years ago. So I'm going to scout harder or or hunt mid October versus the rut whenever he's going to be there something like that. There's it's always like, can I take you out of the equation to make it easier for me?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? And if things getting harder was a reason not to do things, then everybody would have quit hunting. Jim Bridger wouldn't have hunted, right, Bridger bitched about all the pressure, right, Jim Bridger bitched about all the pressure. Yeah, things aren't like they were well.
Speaker 13: Right, Yeah, people in the county now and staff four you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean talk to the Blackfeet, right, see how they're feeling about pressure.
Speaker 13: Yeah, But it's it's just so easy for us to sort of, you know, just just believe that there's some other reason we can't do this, like it's out of our control to find this success or do whatever. And it's just like, well you were talking about playing guitar like that, that moment's passed for me in my life and I'm like, no, yep.
Speaker 1: Two moments passed for me.
Speaker 4: There will say this moment, well, my moment.
Speaker 1: To learn Spanish and my moment to learn how to play a guitar have passed.
Speaker 13: You could learn them both at the same time.
Speaker 1: Flamenco, something happened LaBamba.
Speaker 3: But I do have to say Steve has spent a remarkable amount of time in Mexico without really annoying any any Spanish.
Speaker 13: Hopes on my children, because in his head he's like, I'm done, I can't do that, that's past.
Speaker 3: He's compared, mentalized and moved on. It's like, Nope, don't.
Speaker 1: Know that I pinned all my hopes of my children.
Speaker 3: Tortilla. Give me some of that flat broad It's.
Speaker 11: Terrible, Like a stand up bass guy with those big fingers of yours.
Speaker 1: I'd like to tell you what uh Tommy Ed's in the blue collar scholar and describing uh my fingers. I don't want to use a bad word. He basically has a fist full of packers. But use a dirty but use a naughty word. So it's yeah. So it's like a self help article that you wrote.
Speaker 13: Just a lot of the content we make is thinly veiled self help.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but but I'm hunted with you and I believe it because you are you are uh like not a like I don't want to say, like an optim You're an optimist, but but not you don't have you don't you don't have the rosy disposition, but you are like not taking no for an answer.
Speaker 7: That was a very pragmatic insult, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not like today's the day boys, anything could happen. Yeah, I mean, You're just gonna grind it out and there is no other way that ship is gonna go except that you're gonna do what needs to happen to make it happen. And like other conversations are not welcome. Well the scowl if need be with a scowl on your face.
Speaker 13: It just because I know, I know the process, you know. And I mean that's to be fair. That was not like a totally uh normal take on me, because I was I was taking my boss's bosses boss on a public land whitetail hunt. So I was stressed to no end. But honestly, it when I when I was a freelance writer way back in the day, and I was like, I'm going to focus on public land white tails because the magazine I was working at the time, everybody kept writing in there like I'm sick of the unrealistic stuff. You know, I don't know a thousand acres in southern Iowa, and I'm like, as kind of a no namer, I'm like, I'm going to go. I didn't have kids yet, I'm like, I'm gonna I'm gonna go after this hard. So many people told me you you'll never kill one big buck on public land ever, like you can't do it, you can't make a living at it. And you would hear this from state to state. Right you're going to Nebraska, talk to some dude at the gas station or whatever. It was always the same story. All the all the big ones are killed off, there's not enough public land in this state, whatever. And I would go out and have awesome hunts, just fun hunts where sometimes you'd kill big ones, and I was like, there's just so much of this, like these beliefs that just aren't true. But and you kind of figure out like our hunt where you're like, there's there's no path to success for me anyway other than just like you gotta figure it out and go every day and you got to use that time in between the CITs to scout like we did. But eventually they're gonna give you something to work with, you know, and there's gonna be nobody in that parking area, so you can go in there and it's just gonna line up. But it's stressful, you know, because the weather changes all that stuff. But it's like so possible. You just kind of gotta believe it.
Speaker 1: You did stuff that I wouldn't have done. Where he I don't know if you guys ever heard the story. He kills we killed three deer out of a tree, a tree. He's he kills two out of a tree and sees a buck gets kind of bumped like we were in a nice buck shows up and bumps. I would have been like, dude, you killed two deer out of the tree and spook that buck. That place is done. And he's like, tomorrow, go back and do X, Y and Z, and I'm like, this is the dumbest thing in the world, and go back and here comes the couch just because the layout and whatever.
Speaker 13: You know, well, I mean, think about that that buck.
Speaker 1: I don't know how old.
Speaker 13: It is just nice, really nice buck for Oklahoma public Land. How many times do you think that deer has been bumped?
Speaker 1: And we were multiple times a day. I think, think about how I don't know about that multiple times a day. He's alarmed by.
Speaker 13: Something right, right, every day of his life in the season, he hears somebody part, watches somebody walk in, smells where they went through some some level of encounter with humans, right.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: Dog dude yelling at dog right, fishing guy, fishing farmer doing something.
Speaker 13: I mean, you know, yeah, they you're not going to shake him off their routine that way. And then if that deer had had looked up into the tree and sauce, we would have moved to that next spot down. But because we were down one hundred yards from the stand, gotten that deer and he walked up nine thirty in the morning, I'm like, this deer's he's just here, like he's close to where he wants to be moving. You know, it wasn't like first light, and he was trucking through and we hadn't hunted that place in an evening yet. And when I found it, I was like, this is gonna be like in my head, I'm like, when we sit here in the evening, it's gonna be good. I didn't know it would be as good in the morning. I thought it'd be pretty good. But it's just cool, man, And you know, people think you can't do that, and it's like.
Speaker 3: Well, the the comment of like, uh, not a monster, but I got a buck, right, like all the qualifiers that you hear throughout the season. The only response that anybody who hunts should give to anyone who says, oh, I got a deer should be great deer. Hey, if they're happy with it, you be happy with it. B If you'd say, oh, that's not a great deer, they're gonna think, oh, there must be bigger ones around and you're just shooting yourself in the foot anyway. So it's always a great deer. Yeah, And man, you shouldn't if you don't like it, why'd you shoot it?
Speaker 1: Right? That's a good point, right. Another article from our website, it's kind of like crazy. This is by Jordan Sillers, like an alarming string of animal moms attacking Coloraden's My nature is mad at Coloradin's May thirty, Elk attack, June third Elk attack, June seven, Elk attack, June seven deer attack think of that all in the same area. Well, it's all described out. But yeah, ungulates have had enough. Ungulates are up to here.
Speaker 13: There's like an aggression team.
Speaker 3: Well first, yeah, everybody's got.
Speaker 1: Are like chilly with that guitar? Had enough finger looking good? Oh yeah, we reported on this a whole bunch over the years. We haven't beat the horse of death. It's not time to ride on. Well, we reported on this a bunch. So the Macaw tribe in Washington years ago there was a big hubbloo. When how many years ago? Was it twenty five years ago? How is that really? I remember that like it was like true, I was like an adult when that happened twenty five years ago. I was an adult. Twenty five years ago. The Macaw tribe in Washington exercised their treaty rights and killed a grey whale. And they hadn't killed a grey whale since the twenties when grey whale population started to collapse. You can imagine how much news that made. You know, Alaskan traves have been hunting whales fairly consistency, consistently in another place too, but they hadn't done it in forever, and they did twenty five years ago, and it made tons of news. Everybode's pissed off. They ran into some problems they had. Part of the thing is, like you know, whale hunting is a huge part of their cultural identity and cultural heritage. But they had lost some of the skill set. So they got the gray whale, and I think, if I remember right, they ran up against time. Right, they're trying to process the whale. A lot of stuff spoiled before they could get it adequately addressed. They haven't killed one since they've been petitioning did they want to? They've been petitioning the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to give them permission to again go out and exercise their treaty right, and they have been again granted permission to go and resume very limited whaling. They're looking at doing what many are they looking to do?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: They've been granted so last time we talked about this, they were petitioning for a waiver under the Marine Mammal Protection Act of nineteen seventy two, and a judge just granted them a waiver under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and they will resume very limited whaling. Of how much.
Speaker 3: I want to say they can get some pinnipeds too.
Speaker 1: In the next decade, they're gonna hunt up twenty five They have permission to hunt or hunt up to twenty five whales. I find it like kind of surprising that they're even I find it a little bit surprising that the tribe has even been like waiting for formalized mission, that they even were willing to play such a protracted legal game because it's in their treaty right to do so. Historic like the they signed a treaty with the US government saying you have the right to do X, Y and z, and that they wilfully pulled away from that to wait for everything and not just to eventually say, well, sorry boys, but we're going right.
Speaker 3: Just in preservation of the culture would be reason enough.
Speaker 1: All the usual players are very upset about this.
Speaker 3: I believe they can. They can hunt sea lions too, I think so, which should make them a lot of people's friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: On the salmon fish and.
Speaker 1: A lot of salmon fisherm and be like, by god, that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Exactly, why don't you get away while you're at it.
Speaker 1: So the Macaw tribe of Washington am I saying that right, Macaw Macau. I think so the macatribe of Washington set to resume whaling, and I think that would make them the only Lower forty eight, the only active whaling culture in the Lower forty eight. Yeah, yeah, it's gotta be the.
Speaker 3: First time around.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It was really interesting, as you'll recall, because there was like a lot of people who are just against whaling. But the way that they weighed in is by saying that, well, if this is a cultural thing, why are they using motor boats? Why are they you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Just saying, yeah, I know how you Indians are supposed to do things exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, just jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah they killed they harpooned and killed it with a gun, and people like that's not what Indians do. I know all about Indians. Yeah, yeah, I know how they ought to hunt. I've seen the movies. God bless them in this case. I'm glad that it turned out the way that it did for the Macaw tribe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Chris danny Hey born in Arkansas. Did you grow up You grew up doing some.
Speaker 4: Fishing, Yeah, mostly trout fishing on the White River. Yeah, White River yeah, Jack's Resort, uh in Mountain View, Arkansas. My grandparents on my well, my my I was adopted by my uncle, my dad's brother, his wife, her parents, So my adopted grandparents. They lived there and I really struck a good relationship with him, and so I'd go spend sometimes there in the summer.
Speaker 1: Why were you adopted? How did it come to be that you were adopted by your uncle?
Speaker 4: Well, my dad he was a uh traveled a lot doing construction and uh. And my mom, Uh, she just wasn't real really that grown up when she had us, you know, so she just was just figuring herself out. I guess. Uh. So my uncle uh took took over guardianship of me.
Speaker 7: Those your dad's brother, Yeah, they just both.
Speaker 4: Were addicts and they both were just like I guess I kind of was like the parent in a way, like when I was young, I had to like kind of take care of them. They were they were a little bit out of control.
Speaker 1: So like partiers beyond partiers.
Speaker 4: They weren't together anymore either. Uh. I think that like my dad was probably like too controlling, and I think that my mom was wild, and I don't think that that was like a good mix.
Speaker 1: You still in touch those guys, so.
Speaker 4: No, actually I'm a orphan now. Both of them are passed away. Yeah, they're just seized. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How old we are they when they died?
Speaker 4: My mom was sixty two and my dad was fifty four.
Speaker 1: Actually, wow, did they die related to drugs and alcohol?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They both did. Yeah. My mom, bless her heart, had a real bad uh ending, but yeah, it was sad, but she was able to tell me she loved me before she passed away, and she was able to wait till I got there before she passed away, which was just they just couldn't even the doctor said, like, it was wild that she had consciousness when I got there, because she had waited because my sister had called me and she called my name out and I was able to just hold her watch she passed away.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So you did you guys grow up poor?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah we did.
Speaker 4: Uh. My dad made good money, but he uh, he liked gamble and he just he was just wild, you know. Uh so uh it was always like, you know, we lived a kind of a crazy life. You know. My mom taught me to kind of work the system.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Uh, when I was young, we had food stamps and and my dad uh uh you know, he he would work on the weekends doing side jobs. So he had a company he worked for, and it was just I don't know where all the money was going because they were making a lot of it, you know. But uh, you know, it was two different lives for me when I got adopted. I went from being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, uh, two you know, being basically like just there was so much authority being brought down on me so quick that I think I probably became worse.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I was really a kind of a good kid when I could do what I wanted. When I was told what not to do, I started to not like it. And my uncle and I had a really hard relationship because of that. But he is definitely like a father to me, meaning you know, I love him, uh and his approval means a lot to me. But I gets on my nerves.
Speaker 3: Chris, Oh for sure. How old were you when you when the structure change happened.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a crucial time. I was like eleven going on twelve, while so I was just about to start going through puberty, which happened really quick for me. I was. I was obese child. I was a huge kid, was about four foot tall and I weighed one hundred and probably sixty pounds. And then the next year in seventh grade, I was five foot nine. How tall I am now? And I weighed like one and girls, I was invisible up to that point. Then all of a sudden, it was like I was like good looking tall. I got to be tall for like a year or two. Never grew another inch. I never grew another inch.
Speaker 1: Everybody caught up to you and passed year.
Speaker 4: They just I mean, I was like, God, you do hate me. It's good to know at least you know he's there, you know.
Speaker 1: When uh get back into the how you were exposed a little bit of fishing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh uh. Well, you know, I really was one of those kids that was kind of always like looked at anything that was living and breathing and was real freaked out to hurt it in any way. You know, there's always been people that have I've sort of, you know, I am. I consider myself a Christian being, being from the Bible belt. It's just a path of least resistance, honestly, but I more believe in just God and I don't believe that anybody gets to decide all of the vocabulary that needs to be used or anything else particulars. I know that that's all sort of what that's saying. The devils in the details?
Speaker 3: You mean you don't have to understand Latin to understand God.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you do. I'm not sure, but I have to ask the Catholic Church and I'll get back.
Speaker 7: To your So.
Speaker 4: I felt really sort of weird about handling animals and fish and killing animals, but then as I got older, I sort of that became secondary to things I started to enjoy way, which were, like, you know, I got really into, uh, the lures because I'm a collector. I collect things, antiques, I love just my girlfriend would call me a order and we have to, like for her sanity, I have to. When we first moved in together, I had to basically just get rid of ninety percent of what I am. She won't say anything, but I can read it on her face and it's like she was like, what is And one of my friends actually said, your girlfriend's kind of a genius, isn't she? And I was like, why you say that she was? He was like, she doesn't really like having anything that She's like, it's just like cleared out, you know, like it's one or two things in there.
Speaker 1: And equated that intelligence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, and so what am I?
Speaker 14: You know, I like.
Speaker 4: Full of junk. There's you know, I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: What is the what's the collection that was the most.
Speaker 15: Oh my goodness. I don't know if I'm necessarily irked them, but there's what baseball cards everywhere? Yeah, stamps everywhere. One time we drove to Houston and back in one day to try to.
Speaker 4: I thought I had like I thought I had a stamp.
Speaker 15: From stamps that were with money.
Speaker 5: It didn't work out.
Speaker 7: It didn't work out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and more just became like Charlotte like basically paying to drive me down to Houston and and like me not even having and her being like you want to get some food and like maybe like gosh, she's a keeper, you know, she's a keeper. So but yeah, like lures, I'm very interested by that sort of thing. I really like. I like fish and lures a lot of it actually messing around with trying to to make some and so down there, Yeah, I will, I'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: So when you grew up on like the White River fishing.
Speaker 3: Were you like, were you fly fishing spinner?
Speaker 4: No, No, I never have done that. Actually, you know my old manager, uh JT. Van Zant, he's a he's a he's a big fisherman. Uh And he did a lot of fly fishing and stuff and told me it was great, you know, but it seemed like a lot of work to me.
Speaker 7: I'm your van Zant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he was my manager for a while. He fired me, but he said I was too much like his dad, so like he sort of fired me.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's been on the show, has he Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah he knows me. He mentioned me to him, he'll get a grin on his face for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was my manager.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was a good guy.
Speaker 1: He's a fly fishing guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's great. Yeah, sure is. He should stick to that too.
Speaker 1: He was a manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he managed is what's that guy's name, the blue guy that does country sounds kind of like uh Waylon Jennings And he has a bluegrass album too. Stergel Simpson. He's his manager. He was at one point. What Yeah, yeah, he sure was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was your manager.
Speaker 4: He was my manager. He fired you for what he just being at just not doing my job, not doing my job, which is I was trying to get back there when I said that, thanks, but uh he was he was my yeah, he oh well i'll tell you what he's he did. He said that, he said, you know, you kind of scare me, and you remind me of my dad. You know, his dad was. It was a terrible addict, great songwriter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he wrote all the songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and uh last one of them like me. You know, he got famous, more famous after he passed away. Uh hint, hint, but yeah, he just I went on this tour and it was supposed to be sort of a comeback thing because I had had a falling out with my label. They wanted me to go to rehab basically, and uh, I just I went to that tour. I went to Little Rock, and I relapsed and I just got stuck there for five years. I swear it was five years later. I was sitting in jail cell and in uh Little Rock, Arkansas, and I'd been in there almost nine months, and I knew no one was gonna be getting me out, and uh that I that was it, you know what I mean, Like things had to change when I came out of there, and they did, you know. Uh, So I was in there for a year and then I ended up going to rehab when I got out.
Speaker 1: Is this after if the roses don't kill us?
Speaker 4: It was, yeah, sure was yeah.
Speaker 1: And so what age you start drinking?
Speaker 4: Oh, drinking? I can't remember a time I didn't drink. No, I'm just as a little kid, probably probably young fourteen, actually probably fourteen. Uh it was Marijuana was the first thing I really enjoyed. Was like about twelve or so. I got into that and uh yeah, they were uh, but drinking for me was always sort of something I didn't like too much. I didn't like the idea of getting drunk and waking up and having all these problems, more problems than you had before you started drinking. Yeah, because you don't know even and you feel like crap. You know, that's that wasn't my thing.
Speaker 1: So Randall's nodding his head down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been there.
Speaker 4: It's just you gotta be tough to do that all the time, you know. I guess I'm not that tough.
Speaker 1: But you got into weed.
Speaker 4: Young, oh yeah, I mean never got out of it.
Speaker 1: I was listening to a neuroscientist on Terry You ever hear of an interviewer named Terry Gross. She has a show called fresh Air. She was interviewing a neuroscientist, and the neuroscientist was talking about, like, it's kind of hard, not hard to explain, I want to take a ton of time to explain it. But if you drinking young, like drinking young makes alcoholics, you don't. She was talking about, there's not many drunks that start drinking as adults when you're when you're when I was a kid, like like booze was the thing in high school, junior high even, right, But it's it's that you start drinking young and your rewrites your brain chemistry, like it offsets what's normal. Yeah, right, you don't find your sort of like baseline tolerances, your baseline happiness. You whack this whole thing out of and that gives you the drunks later. Yeah, if you go through if you go through maturity and go through adolescents, and you'd be like at thirty, you're like, I'm gonna have a drink, Dude, You're not gonna turn into a drunk. Yeah, yeah, I mean it happens, but not like it does when you start at fifteen.
Speaker 4: That's true. And there's a belief in AA meetings, which I've gone to a lot of. There's a belief in there that people stop maturing emotionally when they start drinking. And I sort of believe that, because what are we trying to do if we're addicted, We're trying to cover something up. Most of the time, there's a way that we're feeling that's good that we like more than the way we feel so much that we'll keep doing that over and over, regardless of how much it's hurting us. Therefore, I do truly believe that we probably do emotionally stop maturing at that same time when we start reacting to everything, stop consciously things through. We're just like, Okay, I'm going to run to this thing, sort of like a rat stuck in a maze trying to get out. But then there's this thing that it likes. It just keeps going back to that, you know, And it'll go to that before we'll go to the door that's open, you know, and then it'll be closed by the time they go over there and do that. Because it's it's a reaction, it's and I don't know what it is about feeling good. You know that there's a Levon Helm song feeling good. All the money in the world spent on feeling good, and well, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, man, feels good to be feeling good again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a gooling too, It's one, yeah it is, but it's it's just, you know, I've been learning that, you know, my emotions are out of whack. I got I got to thinking about things. I started thinking, you know, look who I was raised by. God love them, I do love them, but they are crazy people. The two people that raised me were nuts, and so there's no way that I could have come out with all that much right. Like, you know, I was thinking I was right about everything, and I was mad at the world, and I had to go, you know, as possible that I don't know everything exactly, you know, like I think I do, and that maybe I'm wrong. You know, maybe the reason that these relationships, these you know, relationships with my family, you know, jobs, things like that, maybe there's a reason that I can't do this. And you know, it's part of me that immediately wants to be mad at the whole structure of life in society. Is it doesn't align with you know, mile upbringing and the things that I went through, and people just don't understand how bad I've had it, and you know what, they never really will actually, and so it's it's like I had to get to a place where I was like, I'm not gonna treat myself like shit anymore, you know what I mean. It's like I wouldn't let other people treat me like that. I immediately flip out when someone you know, tries to treat me the way and then the way I treat myself. It's just like wow, you know. And those are moments that are hard to with, you know, like emotionally, they're they're hard because you realize you have really messed things up for where you want to be and where you are so far off that it's going to take a miracle to get you back on track. You feel that way. But life is good and that it is forgiving, and you know time can heal things, you know, and and you just kind of keep trying to do a little bit more right for yourself, good for yourself every day and you realize, again, okay, I'm right back where I should be. I like myself and the things that I had become insecure about those maybe are the best things about me as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: You know, when did you get serious about music?
Speaker 4: I've always been serious about it. That's that's what I meant earlier when I there's videos of me and my dad is putting a T shirt on me, and I said, no, sir, I'm not wearing no T shirt. And I put on the stress shirt and you see me tuck it in, and it was like I was like four years old, and it was like I was very serious about I'd make my whole family sit there and listen to me, and there's videos of me just singing. That's just what I wanted to do. I always took it seriously, and I knew when I left high school, i'd already been telling people that I was signed to a major record label. And when I left high school, I went to New York, and I actually before.
Speaker 1: Long, well, you were telling people that you were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was telling people that when I got out of school, i'd be going up there because I already had a record deal lined up. And I actually kind of like you were talking about, like positive thinking and positive putting out there in the world. I did that because before you know it, Atlantic Records was offering me a deal Rounder Records. I got plown to meet Rick Rubin. You know, I turned it all down, stayed with this little lab. I turned down a deal with Rick Rubin. Let me straighten that out. I turned down a deal with Atlantic and with Rounder because I had gotten on this label. They had assured me that there was money. I'd talked to their backer all these things, and then everything fell through right after that, and it just sent me into a whirlwind of just being pissed off and emotional depression, and like I just I couldn't trust anyone anymore. It all fell through. This guy was there, him and his brother, and they had the money. We were like a family, We were building a relationship. We were going to actually say no to a deal that really wasn't good for me because it was when the industry was coming out with three sixty deals, which meant they got part of your merch they got part of all these things they didn't have any business having. And so this was a deal for me. It felt right to stay where I was, you know. But it just his brother pulled all the funding and the money for it, and it just there was no I didn't know how to raise money at the time. That's not even where my head was, you know. I thought raising money was something that some other people did that I didn't get lucky enough to be that kind of person. I didn't realize, you know, I didn't use media and stuff like that very well, and so I couldn't do it. Now there's you know, a chance for me to to be able to raise money. Nowadays you can, you can do that, you know. And that's that's where I'm getting to a place in my life where I need to put out records and it's hard for me to work with other people because they always want to trying to change something because my voice is different, unique, and that's that's it. That's fine, and why why mess around with that, you know?
Speaker 1: And they want you to sing different?
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes yeah, people do. They they do, and I won't. I'm not going to, you know. It's just that would feel not wouldn't feel right to me to do that.
Speaker 1: So are you is that an ace card on your shoulder? You a gambler?
Speaker 4: Well, not a very good one. But I met a guy in San Francisco when I was out there living with my sister and he was a homeless guy. Man, I've just gotten a bunch of money for some songs that Marlborough was using. And I said, I want to.
Speaker 1: Hear about the tattoo. Explain that to me.
Speaker 4: Marlborough was doing some some songs online. They had this thing going.
Speaker 1: The cigarette place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Steve, this is when he was responding to licensing music. Yeah, okay, different and so they give me a great meat eater Marlborough mix up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they've wont some of your songs with your voice?
Speaker 4: They did, Yeah, they did. They didn't need to ask me to sing different they want.
Speaker 1: And they were using in cigarette ads.
Speaker 4: No, sure, I would never do that. They were They were used in an actual campaign to get people to quit smoking. No, I'm just kidding. They were used on their website. They were just kind of promoting some bands in the towns they were from. It was just the thing they were doing that was kind of like the remember the Marlborough miles, remember that up and then.
Speaker 1: Go and get remember like remember camel box. Yeah, we had those white sweats said camel down side of them from small ter Terrible.
Speaker 7: They were yellow though, with some sweats.
Speaker 4: Or a bag it's like you got your dad's backpack that he ordered from Marlborough. Miles going to poke holes in it so it's see through, you know. But yeah, that's that's that.
Speaker 1: No, just real quick. I don't mean to prive, but was that like a good chunk of change from Marlborough?
Speaker 4: Uh? I don't know. Is it two hundred thousand? No, I'm just kidding. You know, it was like twenty grand.
Speaker 1: So you're sayways, you run into a homeless guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like I always wanted to get an ace up my sleeve, and I was like, I was like, let's go get that tattooed. And so we did. We went and got it, and uh, he got one and I got one, and he got his on his face.
Speaker 14: Sleep.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure it was right above his eye, kind of like you know, Mike Tyson or something like that. That's when he got a spade on his face. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, yours is even a little honey ace up my sleeve. I think it's right here right in my forum.
Speaker 3: He's a short sleeve game.
Speaker 4: Obviously I would have been just as bad as him, and I got it up there.
Speaker 2: Probably got on his face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got it on his face.
Speaker 3: That's not how I expected this story to go.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect a lot of things that that guy was pretty wild.
Speaker 3: He was. He was the who did the tattoo. And when you first started the story, Oh no, then you treated him to a tattoo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah, and he yeah, at the last minute he went to get it on his face and I almost said, hey, you know, that's not up your sleep.
Speaker 1: And when we got outside, he was, that's up your eye. Yes, What the hell was Krin saying about you hiking a bunch of peaks in Colorado's that your Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I didn't make that up. When I was younger, I went to a church in North Rock, Arkansas. UH and the pastor there was an outdoorsman, avid outdoorsman, so we uh we would do he had he was on a mission to do every fourteen thousand footer uh or twelve twelve thousand. He was on a mission to every twelve thousand footer and uh so summers we would uh go on some of those with him. I guess he wasn't going to stop for running the youth group, uh and he just decided to make his mission our mission. So we I was actually telling a story to Charlotte yesterday as we're at the hotel downtown that y'all put us up pins place. It's the Armory, you like, Yeah, yeah, dude, actually, uh they've rented me uh out and not rented. It's free but a Gibson. And they told me actually that I could bring it over here and play it, but I brought the next time.
Speaker 1: You want to play a Gibson, buddy, Yeah, sounds like you gotta get yourself down to the get a room at the Armory.
Speaker 3: I've been to the Army and they never offered me no gibs.
Speaker 4: You can get any kind that's in the case. You know in front of the hall they play music. Those four Gibsons in the case. You can rent any one of those.
Speaker 8: Well, if anyone's at the Army that's listening, you just bring Chili a guitar.
Speaker 1: Put you ask you bout climbing all those fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So you were Charlotte a story, Oh, Charlotte story.
Speaker 4: I was telling. Okay, I was telling Charlotte a story. But we were looking out the window of the Armory and I said, you see those big patches of ice that are up on the mountain, you know, I said. We rode one of those on a tarp with about seven people from youth group, and someone had a little poodle and they threw their dog in the air when they said abandoned, like because we were going to run into some rocks. I mean, we were fine, dude, and we were going to run into some rocks. And he just when he said abandoned, they just threw his poodle band and I was like, I just, you know, roll over, and I flipped and what stopped me was my face hitting the eyes so hard that it just finally flipped me over and I slid down. And then the guy, our preacher was like all right, sitting down.
Speaker 7: The other group.
Speaker 4: We were just like what the poodle did not like the rest of the trip with that poodle was definitely scarred. And I don't think it walked on its own again after that. I think it had like a little will thing it just gave us. It was not hiking though, and two people were like my ankle For like almost another week, several of us had to trade off carrying two full packs. Two packs up a mountain. We've been just trading that back and forth. It was like your ankle hurts so bad that you can't carry your bag at all for the week, the whole weeks, exactly, exactly, No, I mean, you know, I'm glad we got to help him, you know, with his mission to climb all those I had no idea I wanted to do that so badly when you were.
Speaker 1: Spending that time. So at that time, had you been had you already been exposed to drugs and alcohol?
Speaker 4: I had?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had.
Speaker 1: Well did you when you were like up in the hanging around on the mountains, okay, hiking the mountains, did you ever feel like did you ever get this feeling that there's these different paths you could take in life? And one hand would be that you kind of run around the mountains and be all healthy and you know, free, right, or on the other hand, you go down this path of like being a musician and boozing all the time. I mean, did you feel like you had that there was a way to go in different directions?
Speaker 4: You know, I will say this, I did not feel torn ever that I wasn't being true to myself. I just felt like my value for myself was not very high. So so there.
Speaker 1: Was that change that changed your decision making processes, yes.
Speaker 4: And and and and and therefore now they're changed. I will say this, though, don't let anyone fool you. As you get older. Everyone at this table seems to know this, besides Charlotte. As you get older, you will definitely be at a place where, though you wish you would have asked yourself those questions, you wished you would be in a more healthy spot where you did care about yourself more and could that your value for yourself was higher. But for me, it wasn't very high. And I always thought that was for someone else. You know that I wasn't good enough for that. And yeah, I mean that really has to change. And you know, there's a lot of people out there that have a real hard time making that sort of change on their own, and they do need people to care for them and love them. And I mean, to be honest with you, not to be too sappy, but you know, meeting Charlotte's like changed everything for me because after feeling so just like I messed everything up so bad, to have someone really good and positive in your life that cares about you, it can be the most important thing. So you can't give up on people you know.
Speaker 1: How'd you guys meet.
Speaker 4: We met playing in a band together. We play in this band called the gravel Yard and it's a bluegrass band. And Charlotte actually is has her masters in chamber music and uh what yeah, she's she's a she's special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlotte, Ita tell you something terrible. That's my least favorite kind of music, chamber music because you know that show on remember that show of performance today on NPR. Oh Man, Like, if you listen to the news and also their likes time for performance today, I always be like, dude, I'm not ready listening to the news and everything, and then cut into chamber music at ten am, and I'd be working away and I'd be liked damn it, and I started to take it out on chamber music. Well, let's do my master's degree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I went to the University of Michigan and an Arbor and I got actually two masters, one in chamber music and one in violin. And then I moved back. I'm from Arkansas and I moved back there.
Speaker 4: You're from Arkansas too, Oh shit, yeah, that makes him good down there.
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 11: Did you guys being from Arkansas do like the whole like fiddle camp thing growing up or any of that stuff.
Speaker 15: Oh, I did for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me about that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 15: I started playing violin when I was four, and then a few years later I started fiddling as well. And there were Yeah, there was camps and I actually taught at a fiddle camp in my hometown a couple of years with my teacher, Tim Trewick. And there's a you know, there's Mountain View, Arkansas. There's so much up there, and my grandparents lived in Calicar Rock, which was close, so we would go up there and go to the The people just jam on the square and there's a lot of music up there.
Speaker 16: Progress.
Speaker 1: What were your people, mountain people going back in time?
Speaker 15: I wish they were more than they were. We didn't grow up. I mean I kind of wish I grew up in Mountain View or something like that, but because I just loved it there so much, you know, and I've always loved being outdoors. And I don't know, but I grew up in near Little Rock.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, were you aware his music when you met him?
Speaker 15: No, I hadn't. I hadn't heard of him before, but I did stock him after we joined. So we met when we joined. When I joined the gravel Yard. He was already playing in it for a while, and I was just really excited to play with a bluegrass band. And but then yeah, I went and stocked him and saw all his old music. I was like, Wow, he has a really unique voice.
Speaker 1: Unique.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't listen anyway that tries to make you sing different.
Speaker 4: Man, Oh I don't. I just feel sorry for him.
Speaker 10: I can emphasize because people have been telling me to sing different my whole life. Yeah, but I actually should probably take that to heart.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're saying, Ran, You know, people tell me to sing different.
Speaker 10: Sorry, that didn't land.
Speaker 4: He sings. They're saying singing a different spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what's what's that? You wrote all the music, you wrote all your stuff before. Do you write music now for the Graveyard? Are you the primary writer for Gravyard?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, now grave Yard. I haven't really written a whole lot for them. That's uh, that's not really the path I'm going down. I'm I'm I'm I'm writing for myself still. That's we do a lot of old time bluegrass stuff, some stuff. I released a couple of songs on an album with them called Strange Times and they had a different singer actually before, so I didn't come into the band until the Strange Times record. But uh, this whole thing with Christopher Denny, Uh, it's just you know, I've had I've had the songs for a long time. It's been a long time since I've done a record, and it's just a great time to uh do do a record and get come up with the money, and there's different avenues to do in that, and so that's that's kind of where I'm at now. But yeah, I've been writing my own stuff recently.
Speaker 3: How many stamps do you have to sell the cut a record?
Speaker 4: Oh? Uh, I mean apparently I don't know what's what. So this guy tells me, I don't know what's what? That that one would be on blue paper and have this many perforations.
Speaker 1: How much of a bummer if we have you play right on? Is it the super bummer that you can't play one of your new tunes? Do you guys know how to play your new tunes together?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We we we know some new tunes.
Speaker 1: Can you do one? Can you do right on? And then do one of your new tunes?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, totally Yeah, And want chilly.
Speaker 1: To get your to back you up on that lick that finger licking.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely, but we'll tune his guitar first, and.
Speaker 1: A thing doesn't that doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could play one right on and then we could do a tune. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You be able to play fiddle, You be able play fiddle on bolt these. But he's going to solo.
Speaker 2: On a couple.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's fine.
Speaker 1: Dude, I want to do it. Oh no, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's do let's get that.
Speaker 1: See this is all part of background because people people didn't know what the hell to make when we started using your son. People don't know what to make of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I read a lot of things online that were like, I thought that was a girl, and I was like, you know, I did too for a while.
Speaker 1: Phil Ready, Oh man, you know, while he's tuning that up, my kids got so my kids got pet pigeons a week ago. It's amazing. They got those pigeons a week ago. They could they couldn't even stand up, you know they could, they couldn't ride, They couldn't move themselves. You had to manually move them from one place to the other. Those things not run all around the yard, and they are so imprinted on people. They think every single person is their mom. They followed the kids anywhere they go. Climb up on your feet. Dude, it's a wild little pet. I had them a long time ago, but I kind of forgot about all that.
Speaker 10: Is this making them reconsider the pigeon trapping business.
Speaker 1: They don't view it. I don't know. They sold forty five of them into like near certain death. They're able to hold that stinction. And he spent He gets to reading that one of his pigeons has a thing called canker. Okay, it's a little sickness pigeons get. He spent. He spent twenty four dollars yesterday on medicine for the pigeon. I'm like, I'm not putting money in these pigeons. So he sells pigeons at seventy He traded three and a half a piece and then spent twenty four bucks to medicate his other pigeon. I love it. It's just like in like however things play out in kids' heads. So funny, man, you ready.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what kind of guitar you got there?
Speaker 1: This is that's old ass guitar.
Speaker 4: Old old craftsman. Okay, old craftsman, it's a harmony.
Speaker 8: Do you want to trade?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he got.
Speaker 4: A J forty five.
Speaker 1: I'm excited, so you canna do right? Yeah, all right, And then you guys are gonna do a fiddle. You're gonna do some something with fiddle accompaniment. Yeah, yeah, for sure, everybody. Christopher Danny.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 5: H m.
Speaker 4: M.
Speaker 6: When we met, you thought that I was shined and the fine out the time you're ran to tell your mother your favorite color turned black. I walked through fire with my own kind of cross, tried to feel like.
Speaker 4: Jesus did.
Speaker 6: M hm, which is someone I can't forgive.
Speaker 16: M Ride on, Ride on, little daughter.
Speaker 6: I want to seal your gray hair shine like silver in the sun.
Speaker 16: Yeah, ride on, Ride on a long time, sweetheart. We done beat this damn horse today, So take a new one and ride on.
Speaker 9: Mm hm hm.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmmmm.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 6: When you said you want it up, that's when I want it down. You saw nice t shades of ten on us all was brown. When you found that mo hoof for split, you know you beat it just like I can't. That's why it's time. M ride on, Ride on, little darling. Hold the seal, gray hair, shine like silver in the sun.
Speaker 16: M hm, ride on, Ride on a long.
Speaker 4: Time, sweetheart.
Speaker 16: We done beat this damn horse to death. So take your new one right on.
Speaker 4: Be help if I help, If I learned the chords to it?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's great, man. You guys. Are you guys here tonight?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Yeah, you guys.
Speaker 1: Come over my house for dinner tonight. You tell my kids that's the dude who sings to ride on, so.
Speaker 5: That that'd be great.
Speaker 1: All right, what's next? So you're gonna get your fiddle out?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, this one it's gonna get good here. Hey, do you want to do Bigfoot's Real or do you want to play?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, let's do that. When you want to just uh, I'm gonna. I'm gonna We're.
Speaker 10: Gonna bigfoots Real is very on brand for us, Big Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Can you do? Can you do? He's not real?
Speaker 4: This is r E E L.
Speaker 16: It's a type of.
Speaker 1: Like a Virginia.
Speaker 4: You're gonna play here over here?
Speaker 1: Is that gonna be bringing a post up?
Speaker 4: Oh no, let's just play there.
Speaker 3: Just relinquish the stage.
Speaker 4: Let's just do this. You can take she can take this one. I'm just she's playing guitar on this one.
Speaker 2: Son mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well let's just let's just do me then you and then just do the so part and do it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thanks, that's a good point.
Speaker 5: I love it already.
Speaker 4: Well this is this is instrumental, but if you want me to do one with singing, I can.
Speaker 7: No dudever hell you want?
Speaker 1: Oh you want Charlotte on that Mica genuine master's degree in fiddle plane.
Speaker 2: Text mes out.
Speaker 4: All right, whenever you all are ready.
Speaker 12: Mh I'm ready when you guys are ready.
Speaker 1: Thanks, man, that was great.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thanks for letting us do that after this.
Speaker 11: Would you guys want to jam to? Do you guys know whiskey before breakfast? I just tried to learn that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah there out.
Speaker 3: In the front.
Speaker 11: Ye see if I can do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, dude, thanks for coming out. Man.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm really glad to be here and uh uh uh just thank y'all.
Speaker 1: I want you to make more albums. Oh yeah, yeah, it's all about that.
Speaker 4: So it's so awesome. So I we freaked out and we were like, we've got to get this thing done because I had been taken so long to do this kickstarter, and so we we weren't sure. I had just assumed in my mind that we were shooting live today, and so we like went crazy getting this thing finished. And then find out I finally asked I finally actually asked Green when we were when this was going out. She said, oh, like a month or so.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh my gosh, man, well, yeah, I got a bunch of Yeah, I got a bunch of travels, so we got it's totally fine.
Speaker 4: But I just you should have been in our household two weeks ago. My hair was falling out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Charlotte's like, I don't know if I'm leaving him or not. So it's just, uh it's so we're so I'm raising money to do record. Uh yeah, I'm in a place now where I've got Charlotte's gonna help me. Uh. I've I've redone my business and I'm starting it uh fresh with her helping me. Uh to just she's just like I said, she's just my partner and keeps me in check. And so we're gonna try to put out this third record. You know, I've really I've been down through there with record labels. My brother, Drew Denny is his name. He actually heard my song on y'all show because he's an avid fan, avid listener, a big fan of So he calls me and he says, hey, your song is playing at the end of this podcast that I love. And I said, well, uh, that's news to.
Speaker 7: Me, so uh, paperwork.
Speaker 4: I've already seen it. I'm just kidding, no, but I think here's something that does happen when you let go of things in your world and you are succumbed to addiction. You lose track of taking care of the things you need to take care of, and people take advantage of you. And they do that because you leave yourself wide open to it. And I haven't received any kind of accounting or anything on my second record for anything. And this is not the only thing that I've heard about, you know, not to mention, not a dime from any Spotify songs anything. I have not seen a dime from that record since it came out. So it's not y'all, it's it's partly me and it's partly the business. It's not made up of honest people. I'm not calling them liars, but they're not going to come out and do the right thing by you, just for no good reason, you know what I mean. And so I'm doing a Kickstarter to be able to do this record and have some say in my career, in my life. I believe that that it's gonna happen. You know. It's Uh, the album is called Blue Jeans g E. N E S. Blue Jeans got It And that's gonna be the name for the kickstarter campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna kick in on the Kickstarter.
Speaker 4: Oh well, thank.
Speaker 3: You, we can help kick off the Kickstarter.
Speaker 4: Well we we do appreciate that because uh, we're you know, and there's some some great things giving back to on there. So you know, it's not gonna be something that you just give money, and you know you'll be a part of making something happen that needed to happen for a long time. And it's gonna be my best record I've got.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: I can't remember Chad's last name, but he's the guy I worked with in Norman, Oklahoma at Black Watch Studios. He's gonna he's the guy I wanted to record it, y'all. When I went and recorded with him a few years ago, I thought to myself. This is about ten years ago. This guy is going to do big things and he's he's worked on like Kelly Clarkson albums. They fly them out to to mix. You know, he's just great. He's talented, and he's going to take on recording this and producing it if we come up with the money to do it, And.
Speaker 1: Well, how much money does it take to do something like that.
Speaker 4: We're I think we're asking for like twenty five because we're I need I need money to run a press campaign for several months. That's important to me.
Speaker 1: So well, man, I'm glad you. I'm glad you sobered up.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a little bit drinking, but I'm glad you're not drinking. Drinking. Well, he probably shuld stay away from any kind of drinking.
Speaker 16: I do. I do.
Speaker 4: JT knows that I don't need to drink, so he can he can tell you that.
Speaker 1: Well, dude, thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That means the world to me that you came out. I appreciate it a lot. Get to know you, love your love your music. I can't wait for you to make more. I'm glad you got cleaned up and didn't kill yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah me too, all right, dude, thanks man, Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right, So how do they find the starter? One last time? How do you find a kickstarter?
Speaker 4: It's it's under it's gonna be Christopher Denny Blue, your last name d E n n y and it's a blue Jeans g E n E s like the genes you're born with and I was born with blue ones. And uh so it's gonna be the Blue Jeans album Christopher Denny a Kickstarter and then uh that yeah, that's it. That's damn man.
Speaker 1: I'm glad for you. Thanks dude.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, also Christopher Denny's music page on Facebook, and then uh there's links there to Instagram and all that. So yeah, I'm sorry that I don't have the Instagram. But okay, thank you, thank you so much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: All right, keep it up, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 14: On a seal gray shine like silver in the sun, ride ride, ride on along, sweetheart.
Speaker 9: We're done beat this damp horse to death, taking a new one and ride away. We're done beat this damn horse today, so take a new one and ride on