Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And Donald Trump has reversed his stance on TikTok shortly after a major donor talk to him. We have such a great show for you today. The New York Times Nick Coruscinity tells us about Republicans' latest.
Speaker 2: Moves to PURBs the voter rolls.
Speaker 1: Then we'll talk to Frank McCort about his new book, Our Biggest Fight, Reclaiming liberty, humanity and dignity.
Speaker 2: In the Digital Age. But first we have the host of the.
Speaker 1: Mary Trump Show, the One, the Only Mary Trump. Welcome back Too Fast Politics, Mary Trump.
Speaker 3: And Molly, how's it going.
Speaker 1: I was going to do a whole introduction about how much I like you, but I felt I would spare you because I feel like, despite having the last name Trump, you are not a person for whom a five minutes soliloquy about how much you like them is an ad.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know, it makes me wildly not uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: In fact, I thought I would save you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, as a NEPO baby myself, you're obviously not a Nepo baby, have a more complicated relationship with your I like to call them qualifiers because it's a little homage to alan On but with your famous qualifier uncle. But I have a famous qualifier mother. And so when you know my sort of qualifier does something embarrassing, I feel quite a lot of embarrassment. Now, obviously you are quite far removed, and you have done everything beyond everything you could do to try and stop the freight train that is your uncle. But I want to ask you, as you see Lara Trump take over the RNC, not even Don Junior's wife, but Eric's wife discuss I.
Speaker 4: Must die, Yes, I will.
Speaker 5: I just want to start by thing that it's different, like I don't take Donald's horrible behavior personally, like that doesn't embarrass me.
Speaker 4: What horrifies me and hurts me.
Speaker 5: And wounds me still to this day, is how many people are okay with it and enable him to do worse. You know, it's not his mocking President Biden's stutter, which just as a human being is it, you know, offends me to the core.
Speaker 4: It's all of the people in the audience who laughed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I mean I get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, it's just like, that's that's what we need to worry about, and here we are. The Republican National Committee is now, as somebody wrote on Twitter, I think a subsidiary of the moment's shop known as the drub organization, which is infuriating in a totally different way. On the one hand, it's just a dangerous indicator of the dark slide we're on towards some fanata republic, which is the old kind of republic. Thought old is qualified to rug, But it's just that. Also, another reminder is that there will always be somebody or some entity, whether it's the RNC throwing the reins over him or Trubb posting bond for him, there will always be somebody to bail him out, which is why we need to figure out a better way to box him in, because clearly.
Speaker 3: Money's not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such an interesting thing because when you're talking about that, and I'd love to talk for another minute about that, the story about how Trump did make fun of Biden for the stutter and the crowd loved it, and that was a sort of seminal moment in like the scraping of the bottom in which we are living. So I do think like that is really important thing to just sort of pause and think about for a minute. But the RNC giving itself up to Trump, I actually think that ultimately this is one of these careful of what you wish for things, right, Like the rn C Rona had a relationship with a lot of the big donors. Big donors didn't want to give to the R and C because very wealthy people Obviously being wealthy is not what makes them understand it. But sophisticated investors, I think, know that that money is going to Trump's legal fees and not too down ballid candidates, and so for them, I think they were hesitant to give money to Trump. And what I was explained to me was that earlier on, when Nicki Haley was still in it, a lot of large dollar donors gave to Nicki Haley because they felt that she represented a sort of more normal Republican party tax cuts without the fascism, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, that's what they all want.
Speaker 1: But now she's out and the RNC needs money, and so Trump decided to put Lara in there. But Lara has a big problem, which is even though she's very attractive and they use her face. Now, I'm sure you saw that on the r and see fundraising emails.
Speaker 2: There are large dollar donors.
Speaker 1: Who are probably pretty pissed off that Trump fired all their people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at sixty encounting, I thought.
Speaker 5: I thought putting her her face on the blood red banner was vickery Man very well done.
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 5: I agree that they agree with you that it is like the dog catching the car. Yeah, okay, Now, well, now we're going to bankrupt the RNC. Even though Republicans don't seem ever to remember this, Donald does nothing but bankrupt things and waste money and throw money away. You know, the fact that there's a real possibility he did not have the eighty eight million dollars to come up to this bond is insane.
Speaker 4: So this is that.
Speaker 1: Well, and then and FYI, there's still more money that Trump needs to come up with a lot more money.
Speaker 5: Half a billillion dollars more money, and probably more than that, because he just defamed eating Carold again over the weekend. So I know it's right if he's going to be able to find other people to pay his wan of trouble, there's no incentive for him to stop defrauding, defaming, et cetera. And this whole RNC takeover is just another mechanism through which he plans to use other people's money to get himself out of trouble, because that's one of the very few things he's good at, is burning through other people's money.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: The truth of the matter is that Lara Trump is just as qualified to the organization as Donald. So they're in serious, serious trouble. And at this point, I think the only hope for the party, not that I'd care, but the future of the Republican Party is if Nickie Hailey not to endorse Donald and try to draw a line, you know, otherwise it's it's his party now and forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, now, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: And I also think that if you wanted to have a republic Party that was normal at some point, and again I don't, so you know, I'm with fuck I'm.
Speaker 2: Happy to have see them all go the way of the wigs.
Speaker 1: But if you were a conservative who wanted lower taxes but not authoritarianism, you would tell Nikki Haley to keep her powder dry and to wait this one out and to come back in twenty twenty five when the bloodbath is over. And try to rebuild from the ashes, and maybe that's how that plays out, or maybe Trump wins and we're all in Gitmo together with Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 5: Yes, Jimmy Kimble and you and I and others have seventy nine days to actually, so it's not.
Speaker 1: That you know, thanks thank you, Mary, thank you first, that's seventy nine days.
Speaker 2: A life can happen in seventy nine days.
Speaker 1: Side of residence. A good point. That's what's so weird about this moment in American life is like every sort of rational instinct I have says that Trump is absolute. Just look, Trump is running for president, so he doesn't go to jail.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't even say that. That was.
Speaker 1: Republican one of the Republicans running against him, you know, and the primary who said, you know, he's running so he doesn't go to jail. So I mean, he's running so he doesn't go to jail. And Republicans are still scared of him because of Twitter, right, I mean that's what this is, or because they're worried that they'll get primary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all this is.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely mind blowing that in eight years, you know, he is completely this weak, pathetic and now quite old man has remade his entire party into his image. And where do you go from there? Because if things go the way they should go and he loses, and the fact that we've had to worry about it is such a rustic indictment of our system. But we'll have to deal with that at another time. If he loses, who will ever trust this party again?
Speaker 4: This party has.
Speaker 5: No room to pivot to anything else, which I agree with you is a very good thing. Let it burn to the ground. We need something entirely out. We need two parties. One is a progressive liberal party and the other one the central central left party.
Speaker 7: That's what we did in this country.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'll take it man. Yeah, man, you know you've.
Speaker 5: Never tried that, and we've tried to such a right and fascist, So let's try sent your left and progressive please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sort of seems like where we are. So Lara's going to run the RNC.
Speaker 1: Republicans are going to try to make the case that Trump is totally fine and that Biden is the one with the problems. On Monday, Trump called in to squawk Box was it Squawkbox? CNBC? His guy, his Roy Cohen and CNBC. By the way, I feel so bad for all the serious people who work at CNBC who like have to live in like mortal embarrassment of that Joe guy.
Speaker 2: But anyway, called in spent.
Speaker 1: Like two hours an hour, I mean the amount of time Oh yeah, and said and was all to it, like just rambling, had thoughts about oil. You know, a lot of like hot takes from the nineteen eighties. What the last time Trump read a newspaper and it was bad?
Speaker 2: I mean, how do you square that?
Speaker 5: It seems pretty simple to me. The Corkbork media has, for whatever reason decided.
Speaker 1: I'm going to just tell you CNN's take on it. Trump's free wheelling CNBC interview gives glare willing the campaign to come. Yeah, that was at the post of CNN.
Speaker 2: CNN and free whilling.
Speaker 5: But this is the thing, It's like, why didn't and Donald to be democracy?
Speaker 2: True? True says it's bad. Biden says it's good.
Speaker 5: It's like one of them incited in its direction to overthrow one the other one.
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 5: So this is this is what we're deal like with a corporate media that when they do find something. Donald has daughter said Nitties where they put it on page twenty five. Otherwise it's all just baked in. He is a rapist, So what do we need to talk about that for any I mean, come on, we know that he is. I cannot believe we're still having this conversation since twenty fifteen. But it's they normalize all of it. So that and between that and the delays in the judiciary, which topic for you know, an other time, because that is that is actually more dangerous and I think in the long term more dangerous by delating. Thank you Merrek Garland. The January sixth trial and the DIA pument stuff. What's the message people who don't pay that much attention get and are maybe inclined to want the status quo not to rock any bootes. The message is it can't be that important. If it's taking so long, what's the big deal.
Speaker 1: Then I'm just going to interject a little bit of Donald This is from the interview. I feel like I'm a pioneer. Trump said of the indictments and the judgments against him. What's happening is we have to be very careful.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: I love the idea that this guy is literally just running because of the legal challenges, right, Like he's trying to make a case that somehow defending Trump and candidate Trump are the same person.
Speaker 2: What's happening is we have to be very careful.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a very fragile country, right, This is he's talking about his legal cases. Here people are rejecting it and they are watching. Wow.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we got projection, and we've got paranoida. We've got a description of the interior of his brain.
Speaker 4: Yes, so that's just fine.
Speaker 5: And meanwhile, who is doing anything to tell them otherwise?
Speaker 2: There's no grown up in the Republican Party.
Speaker 5: There's no growd up in the arts. He think about what's happening with his cases, which is nothing. He's saying everything needs to be delayed because of the immunity case in front of the Supreme Court, which is its infinite wisdom. Doesn't seem to think it's an emergency. And meanwhile, two out of those three fredual cases is on hold because of that. He wants the third one on hold, the one in New York for election fraud, right, And I was just thinking about that this morning. It's like, Okay, he's asking for immunity. He's not asking the Supreme Court to say that he committed no crime. So can't we in the meantime find out if he committed a crime and then either way, like if he against community, it won't matter, but at least we'll know, Like, it doesn't interfere. You have to interfere with a jew indicating the facts and evidence, does it?
Speaker 4: It's making me crazy?
Speaker 2: Yes, agreed?
Speaker 1: And I think also what we're seeing here is that this whole lie that the Guardrails held No, they didn't fuck be hold right, like the guy did an insurrection, and all the people down the scale, right, the violent people, the people who smeared the feces on the wall of the halls of Congress, those people, right, the guy who put his feet on the desk of Fancy Pelosi, those people. A lot of those people are either in jail or paying huge fines. You know who's not in jail or paying huge fines?
Speaker 5: Let me guess, did you get me hints? Anybody responsible for planning the garden. It's not in jail up to an including Doldrop.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: But the one good thing I think, and I'm curious what you think about this is a number of people think that because these sort of lower downs were taken in that there's this sense in which these people are less likely to do violence. Okay, but I mean it's a pretty pathetic bright spot.
Speaker 2: But it's all we have.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if it is a bright spot. First of all, on the guard rails didn't hold. And by the way, we don't know how the insurrection ended yet because it's it's not over.
Speaker 4: They'll part in all of them on day one of his staship.
Speaker 5: So it gets a race from history as it practically has been.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, there are all sorts of things that have been shown not to be to durance, and he had the opportunity, because of the failures of the system, to activate even more people, to get them even more angry and feel more agreed that I don't think.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's like the same reason people smoke. I'm not going to be the one that gets sick. People have ways of convincing themselves that their cause is so righteous or you know, the pleasure they get out of the activity is so worth it that the consequences don't even enter into their consciousness. So we're talking about a situation in which if he loses, and especially if the the electoral colleges margin is very narrow in Biden state, Bor, do we really think people are going to say, well, you know, the four years ago people get with now they're going to be so trigger intentional and trigger or activated or whatever the word you want to use. I don't actually think that the rational consideration of consequences is going.
Speaker 3: To come into play for anybody.
Speaker 2: And that's really scary. Mary Trump. I hope my job back.
Speaker 1: I also think you're probably right now that I'm listening to you, I think you're probably right. Nick Corruscinity is a reporter of The New York Times covering voting and democracy.
Speaker 2: Welcome too Fast.
Speaker 7: Politics, Nick, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It feels like you've been doing the voter beat a little bit. We want to talk to you about Trump's allies ramp up campaign targeting voter rolls.
Speaker 2: That's unscary. What does that mean?
Speaker 6: So what this is is kind of like a continuation and escalation of what's become a kind of common tact among a lot of right wing activists and volunteers and some leaders to try and.
Speaker 7: In their minds, clean the voter roles.
Speaker 6: But what they're actually doing is combing through voter roles using their own kind of software that they've developed, and trying to identify voters that they think are erroneously on the roles and challenge them to get them kicked off the roles. Now, they're doing this through a bunch of different methods, and a few that we've uncumbered are are pretty aggressive and might even have like either created a loophole or an actual conflict between state law and federal law kind of protecting voters from being removed from any kind of voting roles, either quickly or without due process.
Speaker 2: I want you to just.
Speaker 1: Talk us through where this is happening and what it looked like for my dad, who is actually quite smart, but who might not be completely read in on this.
Speaker 6: Sure, so this is happening state by state, and because our electoral system in every state, I can't say that for sure, because, as I was just about to say, the United States electoral systems so decentralized. It runs their own elections, and in some states they just punt it down to counties, and in some states they even punted down to municipalities. So in Michigan, for example, there is state law, but they're really run by sixteen hundred you know, local election offices at the municipal level. So it's really hard to get a national grasp of how wide this challenge effort is and you know, kind of exactly how aggressive they're going all over the country. Now, we've identified some areas. We kind of focused on battleground states because that's where you know, this can maybe have a bigger impact than twenty twenty four. In almost every battleground state there are activists seeking to challenge voters and get them removed from the roles, often before the twenty twenty four election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Trump world knows that this is not a game of the popular vote.
Speaker 2: This is a game of the swing states.
Speaker 1: But what this would look like is you go in to vote and you're you're not on the rolls anymore.
Speaker 7: That would be the kind of worst case scenario that could happen.
Speaker 6: And you know, we've iified a few voters who were removed from the roles and were kind of unaware of it until they were either notified by like activists on the other side, or you know, journalists found problems presented them to election officials and they had.
Speaker 7: To redo what it done.
Speaker 6: But the worst case scenario would be, yes, that you show up to vote and your registration has either been canceled or is in a challenged phase where you would need to present more than sick, just like a simple identification to prove that you are indeed registered to vote, live in that jurisdiction and things like that.
Speaker 1: What would be the argument that Trump's people are using to de register them?
Speaker 7: Basically so it does vary state to state.
Speaker 6: And these are you know, a very loose network of activists, some you know with kind of more direct ties to say that the Trump orbit, like Cleida Mitchell, you know who was a lawyer in him in twenty twenty to return the results?
Speaker 2: Where is Cleita working?
Speaker 6: Clida has a very loose national umbrella organization and challenge just has been you know, one of her main pushes. She argues that, you know, voter roles are dirty and they need to be cleaned up, and no one is being disenfranchised if anything, allowing roles to stay quote unquote dirty is diluting the votes of legal voters. A common argument you hear on the on the conservative side.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a lie though, because we know that there aren't illegal and legal voters.
Speaker 2: If you're registered to vote, you are allegal voter.
Speaker 6: What I feel like needs to be said every time, but you know, sometimes we operate as if it's just an understood thing is that voter of fraud in the United States is exceedingly exceedingly rare. Yes, you know, maybe dozens or like, you know, in the low hundreds number of fraud or fraudulent registration or anything like that every cycle. So it's a little bit that happens, but nothing that ever comes close to any kind of margin, especially you know what far President Trump says, like in the hundreds of thousands or tens of thousands. That's right, never happens. Bulshit never happened in American history, and you know kind of can't given all of the systems we have in place to check for that. What allow of these acts are doing is seizing on either state laws or procedures and trying to go a little bit further than say, the average voteral clean up process would go. So for example, in Michigan, activists found a law from nineteen fifty four that has been kind of rarely used and referenced. And what with this law says is that any elector in the state can challenge another elector singular with a like affid davit or official attestation that they know that that elector doesn't live here anymore, and that starts a process that you know, sends out a card to the voter to check and if they don't respond within thirty days, they get removed from the roles.
Speaker 1: So this is like using the Comstock Act to stop people from getting the abortion pill in the mail, right Like, it wasn't originally made for this, it's just Republicans have tried to figure out a way to use it.
Speaker 6: I think it's a little different than the Comsak Act because that is certainly like kind of two different areas. This is a law from nineteen fifty four that is indeed designed to kind of help keep voter rolls clean, but it was never designed to be a mass challenge tool, which is, you know, kind of what has happened in the post twenty twenty election is these activists aren't challenging a couple voters here or there. They're challenging hundreds or thousands or in Georgia tens of thousands. This was never designed for that. Also, it was designed to kind of help stop like a lot of mail going to the wrong place, and you know, in the fifties when that was a popular way of campaigning, it was designed to kind of each the burden of campaigning on residents. So it certainly wasn't lying to have this mass removal effect that also, you know, it was passing fifty four. But it is kind of in direct conflict with the NVRA, which is a national law that says, you know, if a voter is challenged in there, you know, to be removed from the roles, you need two federal election cycles to go through before they're officially removed. So this sets up a conflict where election officials are told by these activists, you'd have to remove these people in thirty days.
Speaker 7: You have to follow the law. It's the law.
Speaker 6: If not, you know, we'll raise official complaints. But then they're also you know, remembering training that will wait the national you know, the NBRA says no, it's two federal election cycles. So it's that level of detail that I think we're seeing is evidence of this expansion and this kind of accelerated effort to try and challenge voters and remove them from the roles in these in these key battleground states.
Speaker 1: So are there people on the like on the left making sure this doesn't happen or is it just going along unchecked?
Speaker 6: Well, I think a lot of election officials are starting to catch up to this. You know, when you look at different states, there's different levels of preparedness. So Michigan is kind of perceiving this first big wave right now that you know wasn't as prevalent, say in the mid terms, Whereas in Georgia in the Senate runoff elections in twenty twenty one, you know, kind of immediately following the point twenty election that their election day was January sixth, there was three hundred and sixty thousand challenges to voters just in that small runoff window.
Speaker 7: Wow. In Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they thought that would help them when you don't have to editorialize, I well continue.
Speaker 6: There's actually email evidence showing that they did. Inde'd think if you did these challenges and clean these roles, it would have helped at least Trump make up his deficit in the trial between fair Fight and True The vote that email was brought into evidence. But so Georgia County election officials are very very very well versed in the challenge law and the challenge preparations, so they're you know, doing their best to make sure no one is erroneously removed. As for like organizations on the left, who are you know, seeking to either rate these wrongs or anything.
Speaker 7: There's certainly some.
Speaker 6: I'm sure I haven't been necessarily focused on them in my reporting, but there's voting rights groups in every state. There's you know, fair fight in Georgia, the CLU that you know are looking to prevent this spot. I'm not as aware as to their operations or measures at the state level.
Speaker 2: So crazy.
Speaker 1: Speaking of voting, there is a Democratic primary in New Jersey for the Senate, and you have a really important piece about this and basically, and again, as a beneficiary of nepotism myself, I always.
Speaker 2: Am hesitant to call it bad.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just kidding, it's bad talk to me about these ballots.
Speaker 6: So what's unique in New Jersey is in the primary system they have a thing called the line. And what that is is it's a specific column or row on a physical ballot in each county where a candidate is given preferential treatment. So if you in the line and say Hudson County for the Democrats, you appear with all the other Democrats from county freeholder to senator, all in one line. That gives the impression that these are the official Democratic candidates. And then other candidates can be all over the place. Some are put in what's known as ballot Siberia, which is, you know, four to ten columns over and you wouldn't even know if unless we're looking for them. So it's this system that creates an appearance of an official endorsement that if you're a Democratic voter, these are the people you should look for, and that's on the physical ballot. Now, how the line is one varies from county to county, but often in a lot of situations, the county party chair carries immense influence over the line endorsement. In some it's just the county chair and a few others. In some it's this committee and others their endorsement helps guide the precinct delegates who are going to vote for this, and then in others it truly is an open convention. What's really unique about this already unique system in New Jersey is that this year Danny Murphy, the first lady, is running for a Senate and seeking the line in different counties, while her husband, Governor Murphy, is still the sitting governor and will be next year, so he's in charge of the next two budgets for New Jersey. Now, each of these county chairs in their personal lives has some business tied to the state summer lobbyists, some are lawyers, some have state government positions and are drawing state government paychecks. So regardless of necessarily you know how they're going to step back and view the race between Ammy Murphy and Andy kim is, the other most prominent candidate running, They're going to have their own financial interest in the back of their head. So we saw very quickly as soon as Tammy Murphy announced, all of these powerful county chairs fall in line and immediately endoor service. Within I think a week, most of the major population centers fell, and that bothered a lot of Democratic base bullers in New Jersey who saw it as either a coronation or an anointing, or kind of moving beyond the simple, open primary process that you know they claim to support. So as evidence, I think of how angry some of these voters are at the open conventions. Andy Kim, who was considered an underdog to Tammy Murphy, has been winning most of these open conventions, including one in Mommut which kind of set the pace for exactly how this primary is starting to play out. So it's this weird system in New Jersey that's always had a little bit to a lot of insider powers, smoke filled back rooms, back dealing, that this year was so much more at the forefront simply due to the dynamics of the first lady running while the sitting governor is still in office and will be in office next year.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: And really the ballot staff is really unusual, Like there are forty nine other states and nobody else has.
Speaker 7: That as far as I know, That's.
Speaker 2: What Andy told us. Yeah, it could be wrong.
Speaker 6: It would shock me because I mean, granted, I'm from New Jersey and a proud, proud and loud New Jersey and but I've you know, written a couple articles about this over the past five years and have never heard anyone else say, oh, this is how we do it.
Speaker 3: You know it.
Speaker 6: Certainly maybe they did years ago it certainly has, you know, those relics of political machines, and New Jersey is one of the few states where, like political machines really do still matter. About six or seven years ago, George north Cross was at the height of his power as this unelected but powerful insurance broker from South Jersey who really commanded the entire South Jersey delegation and could you know, force ben governors to as will both Murphy and former Governor Chris Christy. Now there's you know, the hundred in county politically machine, that's the most popular county populist, so they move or as most Democratic voters, so they can move a lot. So New Jersey still is very much a political machine state, whereas in other states we've seen machines completely crumble and fall.
Speaker 7: Just you know, looking at AOC's.
Speaker 6: Election that was actually a long time, which it feels it's like a few years ago.
Speaker 2: I want to get to a PC. He wrote.
Speaker 1: Pretty recently, racial turnout gap has widened with a Weekend Voting Rights Act. So in twenty thirteen, the Supreme Court Justice Roberts Weekend that some of these protections were no longer necessary and surprise, surprise, what happened.
Speaker 7: Well, what's kind of always been presumed is that when you've removed the kind of the most critical part of the Voting Rights Act, that it would have negative impact on communities of color and turn out among voters of color. But up until this Brennan study that you know, was completed a few weeks ago, those attempts at kind of quantifying this possible change was left to either exit polling, or opinion surveys or the census, all of which are like a little bit more imperfect than what Brennan decided to do, which was take about a billion voter files from multiple elections since twenty thirteen and assess exactly what has happened in all the counties and states that were covered by this part of the Voting Rights Act that was changed in twenty thirteen. And what they found was that, you know, it was a five percent difference that had the Shelby decision not happened, the racial gap in these counties and states would have been five percent lower than it is right now. And five percent is a significant margin in modern elections. I mean, so many as swing states you know, are within two to three in some of these counties that were. You know, under section five are massive counties.
Speaker 6: Harris County, you know, in Texas is bigger than I think twenty three states in terms of population.
Speaker 7: That's home to Houston.
Speaker 6: What they found was, you know, kind of a statistical proof that the Shelby County decision did indeed exacerbate the racial turnout gap, and that it beyond other like qualifiers that people have often sought. So it persists across class, income, education lines, even in poorer communities. While turnout was down amongst poorer computer communities, across the line, there was still a greater racial gap. You know, poorer white voters still voted at a greater turnout than poorer voters of color. At the very wealthy, wealthier white voters still voted at a higher rate than voters of color. And they found this racial turnout gap growing nationwide over the past ten years since the twenty twelve election, but it grew at a faster rate in these former Shelby counties.
Speaker 1: It's not surprising, but it's still upsetting. Do you think that enough attention is being paid to this voter role?
Speaker 6: Staff, It's tough for me to say, you know, where people should be focusing their attention. I do think election officials are becoming, you know, more familiar with the challenges, with the rules and regulations that are guiding what should be done to keep voters on the rolls or not. I do think probably the biggest challenge to this challenge program, like repeating myself, is that these election officials are still overworked and underfunded. In the I forget if it was the budget or another recent funding bill or whatever a fiscal cliff we decided to near or shut down over there was money, you know, that was supposed to be given to run the twenty twenty four election, and that kept getting whittled down to nowhere near what the request was. And so even with have A funds and the other federal money that's came to elections, it's just simply not enough. And there's been you know, new laws that he about other forms of funding elections outside funding of elections. So these local officials are really kind of, you know, between a rock and a hard place. And so when you layer in all of this extra work of sifting through these challenges making sure you're both protecting everyone's right to vote while at the same time not you know, erroneously keeping someone who shouldn't be on the rolls on the rolls. It's a massive effort. And so while they're having to do this, they're still having to make sure polling locations are open in the right place, make sure that they're doing the right testing of the machines, making sure that like voting locations have the right power to power the machines, like we saw that in the Georgia primary in twenty twenty. So, you know, there's so much that goes into this, and there's so much of these election fishals that to do, and often they're volunteers or they're part time, and so to layer on all of these challenges I think is something that there hasn't been the proper kind of relief, either adding help to them or financial help to them. That I think is kind of where the biggest gap is at the moment.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Frank McCord is the founder of Project Liberty and author of Our Biggest Fight, Reclaiming Liberty, Humanity.
Speaker 2: And Dignity in the Digital Age. Welcome to Fast Politics, Frank.
Speaker 3: Well Wall, it's great to be with you. Looking forward to the conversation.
Speaker 1: Explain to us, how you got to this idea.
Speaker 3: Like you and millions of others, I see and feel what's wrong, and it's something's wrong right, something's big as a myths, and so I get curious about that and started to dig into it. And that's where I, you know, came to the conclusion that all these things that you know, we find creepy and all the harms that we see being done or many of them, can be linked back to how technology is currently being used, and how the Internet has been almost hijacked right by a few big companies. And I, you know, I say that should mention that I'm a fifth generation builder and my family's been building the infrastructure for over one hundred and thirty years and a great great grandfather started building roads when Henry Ford started building cars. So it's kind of hardwired. We look at problems and you know, try to figure out what's strong and go fix it. I brought that mentality, let's say, to this problem. But I'll tell you one anecdote that really stuck with me. And this was after I had started a public policy school with Georgetown University in Washington, d C. And you know, that was at twenty thirteen and we knew that big data was important, and we put a massive data institute inside of the Court School, and a faculty member there who was doing great research it told me the following story. She had a theory that you could predict when a large scale human migration was going to occur by seeing what words got amplified on social media. And she developed this theory based on what she was able to pull together on your publicly available social media. Our government was quite interested in that project and gave her two hundred thousand dollars to refine her model, because if there was in fact a predictor of large scale migration, that would be massively helpful to humanitarian organizations a society more broadly. So, yeah, she got a couple hundred thousand to do the project, and new Twyter had the information she needed and went to them to get the data and they said, yep, we have it, but it will cost you one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And she said, I can't give you a hundred thousand dollars because I could get the data, I won't be able to do the project because I don't have the budget. And they said, well, you can't have it then, So that really said a lot to me. Moly, because you have the most vulnerable people in the world who created the data. Right. It was their conversations that this academic who was not going to commercialize this, just wanted to improve the lot of society, help these four souls. And they have Twitter, who's sitting on this data and saying it's it's mine, you can't have it unless you pay me. And I just felt the entire Internet was upside down. It's our data. We should own it and control it. If we want to use it for a good purpose, we should be able to do that, and we shouldn't be help hostage by big platforms. And by the way, they are making massive amounts of money.
Speaker 2: So run our data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from our data, So let's share on that as well. The value.
Speaker 1: It's such an interesting solve. I'm hoping you could sort of talk us through. The idea is actually quite complicated, or at least it's complicated to someone like me who knows many things very superficially. But I'm hoping you could sort of explain to us this idea because if it were to exist, it would be a decentralized internet, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it would be decentralized to the extent that we'd be in control, right, and we'd don't to control our data, and we'd have visibility and how it's baking used, and we'd be able to share the value. But you know, the Internet was built as a decentralized technology. That's why it was built. You know, it was built too so that we had a decentralized form of communication and the effect of attack way back from the Soviet Union. And then it evolved into the World Wide Web, and that, by the way, was thirty five years ago today. Tim burgers Ley released Stage GTP into the world and the World Wide Web was created. And you know, I've talked to him extensively about this, and his intention was that it be a decentralized, human centric, empowering Internet, one that would be the proverbial tide that less solve boats, right, something where we could share information and get smarter as a society, and not something that it became fifteen years later, and especially over the last ten years, which has been highly centralized, autocratic, surveillance based, app based internet. The apps have taken ownership of they'd hijack the Internet. So you know what I say in my book, our biggest fight which comes out today is that we're back where we were when in a way, when Thomas Paine in seventeen seventy five wrote Common Sense, that powerful call to arms, you know, the pamphlet that he wrote before the United States became the United States, and he said to his fellow settlers at the time, you have a choice. You could continue to be a subject of a monarch and not have any rights to speak of or be able to own anything, or you could choose to be a citizen, and with that comes all kinds of rights, including you know, you're born with you know what became known as unalienable rights, the rights that you're bo the same rights the king has. And you're a human being of worth, and you have freedom, you have liberty, you have choice, autonomy, agency, and you can own things and create value. And that happily we chowse citizenship and we created this country. And I would argue that we, as you say, we can make this complicated if we want through it. I actually think it's pretty simple. Now we're at another juncture. We have a choice. We can be dragged into a future, buy machines and be subjects again and lose our citizenship, or we could create technology that actually allows us and celebrates the fact that we are now digital citizens. We're being treated like subjects, we're losing our rights, and we're not treated at all like human beings on the current Internet. And so I asked the question, why, pretel, would we give up all of our rights for the ability to use the Internet. It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Right, at one time it was not thought of as giving up all of our rights, but now in hindsight, that was what we were all doing. So what I think is cool about this idea is that you are doing this as an act of philanthropy. Right, you were not making money on this idea. You're really trying to sort of go in and make something that is really wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If Congress wanted to, they could do this right now, right, I mean, when that solved many of our technological problems. If they said, like, no, we're going to have this decentralized internet. Everyone needs to be a real person, no more bot forms.
Speaker 2: Like if you have.
Speaker 1: To have a birth certificate or a driver's license or a passport, you have to have a digital identity. I mean, there's a world where that happens.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a world where that happens, but it's obviously not going to happen in the world we live in because our politics is also become highly polarized and dysfunctional because of the same technology that I'm referring to that is designed to polarize us and separate us. It's not designed to help us reach consensus. They reaching consensus is no fund for an algorithm that's designed to keep you online endlessly and in a triggered state constantly, you know, responding to something someone says. So let's go back to your premise. Though DS and P is an open source protocol, then our labs team developed that would allow people to own and control their data, as you say, have a digital entity, and let all of us benefit from the network effect of the Internet. Open source, it's been gifted to humanity. People need to build on this molly for it to be a real thing, and so there will be lots of commercial endeavors that people will engage in our rotam will probably engage some things that they build on this protocol because without it, there's not going to be a real alternative to the current Internet. So, but the point is it needs to be built on by millions of people. This is not you know, one person, one family, one company project. It's never going to happen. This is a collective action and we need to demand it better.
Speaker 7: A better intet.
Speaker 3: Now, if the government wanted to say, hey, everybody needs to adopt a protocol like DSNP, then that would help move things along. We don't need the government to mandate it is the point.
Speaker 1: Right, But if they did, it would be solved tomorrow.
Speaker 3: It would be accelerated, sure, and then suddenly you'd be in a situation where we adopted other standards. Right, We adopted other protocols, and what we didn't know when we were adopting them is that we were giving power to a few big platforms to own us. And I don't want to be owned by someone else, whether it's the Chinese government because of you know, TikTok, or whether it's the you know, a few big American platforms. We need to put human beings in charge of themselves on the Internet for the first time.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We need to stop being an IP address, a device, or stop just being viewed as data, as a as a product. We're human beings. It's a privilege to use the Internet, and we should be required to be a person or at least verified as such to be on the Internet. That doesn't mean we have to give up our privacy or anything like that. We should be able to live on the Internet like we lived prior to that, where if you're dealing with a community that you know and trust, well, you share a lot of details about yourself. Well, if you're dealing with strangers, you don't share anything about yourself. You or I don't share things about ourselves when we walk down a city street to a stranger, at least most people don't. But then when you get to know people, you share more. And then we have close friends and significant others and family members, you share a lot. Well, the Internet should operate in a similar way where we have control over what's shared about us, with whom and on what terms.
Speaker 1: So right now we're in the middle of a news cycle about TikTok where it looked for a minute like TikTok was going to be either forced as a sale or banded, and there was like an incredible amount of movement, and now it looks like that's not happening because Kelly and Conway is a lobbyist for TikTok and Trump. Some people got to Trump, And so I'm just curious, is that the problem with tech regulation?
Speaker 2: This is like an obsession of mine.
Speaker 1: For example, you know, they're always congressional here things about tech regulation. We're constantly seeing that, but we're not actually seeing any regulation come out of any of this. I mean, we have seen so much like carnage from technology. A lot of great stuff too, but a lot of carnage. It seems like our Congress and our politicians just seem completely uninterested in providing any kind of regulation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you said, you know, this carnage and there's a lot of harm, but this good stuff being done too, I actually share myself kind of saying that from time to time, and I hear others saying that, like it's almost like we're defense mechanism or this obligation to say, well, well, there's some good stuff too. And I've come to the conclusion, if we get our construction company right, or some municipality or or somebody built a plumbing system, a water system for a city of a million people, and we turned on the water, or people turned on the water in their homes and six hundred thousand people got clean, healthy, nutritional water, and four hundred thousand people got toxic poison water that was causing illnesses and even some people to die. Would we be saying, oh, but the water system that that water system does some good stuff too, or would we be focusing on the damage that's done and be saying fix that. That's unacceptable. So I just want to put this in context that I think if they stop being apologetic, oh yeah, but they do some good things too, and just say enough is enough Number one, number two on your issue of policy and so forth. We now know and we learn more and more every day about the damage being done by the way the Internet is being used, and you know this surveillance technology, the harms democracy, our information ecosystem is being contaminated, trouble, civil discourse is police officers at school board meetings, and most importantly we see the harms to young people right, and they're very real. The first stop should be to go to these big tech platforms and say, look at there's damage being done.
Speaker 7: Fix it.
Speaker 3: Stop causing the damage, right, stop putting the water into the pipe, stop fix this. And that hasn't been done. And what we get is these apology tours and oh I didn't know that, go back and check and fix it. But then information comes out, and of course we now learned they knew it. You know that Mark Zuckerberg knew that the technology was designed to prey on young kids, and so on and so forth, and yet it's still not So then where do we turn. We turned to our elected officials and our political system, right like we did with tobaccos for instance, right, Well, we found out it was harmful and the tobacco companies didn't fix it. We went to our elected officials and said, please, we need new regulations because they're not fixing it themselves. And then those regulations came into place. There were warnings on cartoons, there was a tax put on it so that there was more expensive, so people would file us and people were it was an educational campaign, and there were regulations at laws, and you couldn't smoke under a certain so on and so for you couldn't sell to a certain and our political appbretes went into here. So now let's come back to technology. We go to our political apparatus and say, big tech, and is it in these social media platforms? Aren't fixing themselves, please fix the problem. And like you say, we see the theater, we see the hearings, but nothing happens. I've come to the conclusion that either our political elected officials are not understanding the technology and the harm it's doing, or they are taking money from these big platforms that are the wealthiest companies ever created and have lobbyists and advocates all over the place, or they're actually and this may be the most damaging evolve, they're using the very platforms that we're talking about here that are doing the damage and causing the polarization to raise money and take extreme views and get followers and clicks and donations. And so it's the ultimate irony here or sad irony, is that what I talk about in our biggest fight that we need to fix is very technology that is disabling our political apparatus as well and our ability to adopt good policies, which used to happen years ago, and it's not happening now because of the all powerful nature of this technology. So that's where I come to the Project Liberty and the need for us to actually take matters into our own hands, actually diagnose the engineering problem, fix it. And then have a call to action to demand that we have this alternative and incentivize builders to build on it and get citizens just people demanding the alternative. And I want to see people talking about this at their kitchen table, at the sidelines of the soccer kids soccer game, at their school board meetings, you know, after church and so on and so forth, so that we start to socialize this because we the people need to fix this, because the platforms themselves aren't fixing it in our elected officials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Thank you so much, Frank Well, I appreciate you saying that.
Speaker 3: I just ask that your listeners, you know, take a couple of hours and read our Biggest Fight and because it's it's hard and twenty minutes to get everything across, but you know, the book that I had the privilege of writing with Michael Casey, I think does a decent job of explaining the problem and the solution so we don't have to be helpless and hopeless. Here there is hope and there is a bright future. And we're definitely pro technology. It's not about being anti tech. We're definitely pro tech, but use it the right way. Or your listeners can go to our biggest fight dot com and learn much more about the project. Thank you, Thank you, Mollie a.
Speaker 2: Moment, pet Jesse Cannon, Molly Jung Fast, Robert hur takes the stand in Congress today, and oh and.
Speaker 1: He reveals himself to be the partisan hack we had suspected he was.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of moments to choose from.
Speaker 1: I say, just play the whole hearing at the DNC, but if you're pressed for time, definitely there were so many moments. The best and the worst was him. So Ted Lew asked Robert her her questions that were purportedly about Biden but really about Trump. That was a pretty amazing moment, just in a very typical Republican fashion. Before the report came out, her you know, sort of got ahead of it and said that at points Biden couldn't remember the day that bo died, which is actually just a lie because when you look at the transcript, he knew exactly what the day was, and then he was sort of trying to figure out it was twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen, But Madeline Dean said he did know the day, and her refuse to admit it went back to the transcript and then ultimately just punted.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was the moment.
Speaker 1: But there were a lot of incredible moments in that hearing. It's worth going over them, and it's really clear that like the mainstream media fucked up right. They ran hers comments just like they did when they used Bill Barr's comments about the Mueller investigation instead of using the actual Muther investigation.
Speaker 2: They took Republican's word for it. They let them shape the narrative.
Speaker 1: And we've seen this before, so we lived through weeks and weeks of Joe Biden didn't know when bo Biden.
Speaker 2: Died, when in fact, he knew exactly when Bo Biden died.
Speaker 1: And so for that partisan hack Robert HRR, who by the way, refused to answer a question when Eric Swowell asked him if he would take an appointment in Trump's White House, partisan hack, her is our moment of fuck ray. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to hear the best minds in politics makes sense of all this chaos. If you enjoyed what you've heard, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. And again, thanks for a snag