Speaker 1: And welcome back to Is this a great game? Or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirchen, joined today by fellow Syracuse graduate AKA Me and Jason Jason Bennetti on the podcast Major League Baseball Broadcaster. Jason, you are back for your second run as a guest here on the show, and trust me, we had one hundred questions left on the cutting room floor the first time we had you on, so I'm excited to have you back.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm excited to be back. We had a great time when I was up in Eugene, Oregon, I think last time at the darkenest hotel room in the history of America. So ready to rock with a well lit although maybe a Grand Central station a traffic booth here if we have a plast one thousand walk behind you can just ask them questions as well as we set up for the Tigers game tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, we're not going to worry about that.
Speaker 4: So Jason, we just found out that you just interviewed Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's a drummer, which I of course did not know since I know nothing about music. For the longest time I thought Molly Hatchett was a woman. There's so much I don't know here, but please, Jason, tell me that you have a great background in music.
Speaker 3: You know drummers, you know all this stuff. Am I right or am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm surrounded by either real drummers or fake drummers. So Chad Smith is a Tigers fan. He grew up in Detroit and he learned how to play drums on Baskin Robbins vats of ice cream that they were throwing out in the back of the Baskin Robbins. When they were done with the big tub of cookies and cream, he'd take it home and start hitting it with Lincoln logs, no joke, Lincoln logs. And then one of the biggest Tigers fans out there is JK. Simmons, the actor who was Fantastic and Whiplage, where he very aggressively teaches somebody how to play the drums. So I played the tuba growing up. I never played the drums. But I do think play by play in some ways is a little bit like being a cover band, right, So you all the lyrics are the same, swinging a ground ball to short or there's strike three, but the way you change it is with your tone and your tempo and your rhythm. So I think there is a little music in play by play.
Speaker 4: You played the tuba, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: At what age were you bigger than the tuba? Because I know a little bit about being a little man. I'm smaller than you, But was the tuba bigger than you?
Speaker 5: For a while?
Speaker 2: For forty two years on Earth, actually the tuba has been bigger than me. Uh so, so you're gonna love this. The band director in high school is actually the guy who put me in front of a micro phone for the first time. So I couldn't play the suzophone because of how I walk and whatnot. So what they did was they put the tuba on a stand and while the band was marching at halftime of the football game, they would go in planetary orbit around me to make letters for our logo, and I would just stand there in place and march in place, and everybody else would go make the H and the F and I would be the bottom of the stem of everything. Right. So the band director was like, well, that's kind of ugly and weird, so what if we just get you upstairs and you announced the sets for the band. And it was the first time I ever was behind a microphone.
Speaker 3: Did you that chime? You became a broadcaster?
Speaker 2: Because that's how I became a broadcaster is I couldn't play the suzophone because of the I'm a little teapot routine, you know, tipping over and the pouring out that you would have had. And so they he said, you know what if we put you upstairs, and so they were playing that year, they were playing rag Time, the musical. So I would say, coming up next, Wheels of a Dream by rag Time, you know from Ragtime. And that's how I started. And I remember it distinctly. I don't remember who the guy was, but there was somebody next to me in the press box. It was like, hey, you're kind of good at this. It was the first time somebody ever gave me a compliment about saying things.
Speaker 1: Listen, I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here, but I was you're looking at Henry Ford in a production of rag Time.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, people, here's my theory of what this country is moving toward. Every worker a coggin mojo.
Speaker 1: That's the notion of Henry Ford, here's my people. See my theory of what this country is working toward? Yeah, oh yeah, And I have a terrible story about this. And I'm just going to be quick because this interview is not about me. But I was a theater kid for a very very long time, and I was in a production of Ragtime. And if you know the musical at all, and we won't go into the weeds, it's it's it's a transitional song, right, It's not really super important to the plot, but the main character is buying a car from Henry Ford. Right, Henry Ford is played by me. This was a very quick change for all of our dancers, right. So my first line, as Jason pointed out in the song, is here's my workers, right, And I make this grand gesture, here's my workers. And I turn around and zero of the four assembly line worker dancers are on stage zero. So I turn around and go, okay, we're going right back.
Speaker 2: Here because there's.
Speaker 1: No people in my assembly how are we gonna make this car? And I will never forget it because that night the director goes.
Speaker 3: Where were the workers?
Speaker 1: Henry Ford needs his workers? A very energetic director we had, And I will never forget. It's too quick of a change. Nobody really cared about the number as the dancers and they couldn't get out in time.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that.
Speaker 1: Just sent me back, Jason. I can't believe ragtime came up on a baseball podcast.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, and it is. It's the most interstitial of interstitial songs, like you could got no offense, but you could lose that number. Speaking to on the car, it's like it's like the jfk assassination in mad Men. It's a nice touch. You don't have to have it right you you were expendable, but if you're gonna do it, you gotta have workers. It's the whole point. It's automation and manufacturing, and anybody can do it. The only person who can't do it is nobody. Jeff right right.
Speaker 1: See my people, Well here's my theory. That's the line. See my people, you can't see them, they're not there, Dad. This was the invention of the assembly line. The whole song was to try to show the historic momentum Henry Ford created. And there's U workers. I think they were taken over by AI in nineteen twenty. I'm not sure, but yeah, that was when I talk theater fails. That's my favorite. See my people, Well here's my theory. No people, none Jason.
Speaker 4: How is it possible Jesus that you know about Henry Ford? How is it possible that you played the tuba? You are a sports guy where it's amazing your depth of knowledge.
Speaker 3: Am I giving you too much credit? Here?
Speaker 2: The answer to that is always yes, anytime you're giving me credit, it's too much credit? Yes, too much. Here's where it comes from. Truly, I watched so many game shows as a kid, trivia game shows like I would sit at home watch Jeopardy. My parents claim that I learned to read through Wheel of Fortune, So thanks Pat Jack. I always love trivia and curiosities and like esoteric game show I'll still watch on YouTube. And my partner Andy Dirts, who's sitting over here, makes fun of me for it. So that's like, that's one of the cornerstones of why I know a lot of dumb stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, And Dad, I have to say, I just apologize because you're my father and you're my personal and professional hero. But you always seem so surprised when people who are in the industry that you've committed your life to have any other interests or knowledge of anything but the sport they love. Most people, dad have been more than more to two concerts in their life. Right, most people have.
Speaker 3: Been to three concerts? Right? And yeah, word made it?
Speaker 1: Yellow Card, Kenny Chesney, You'll never see those straight on a lineup.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait wait did you say yellow Card? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, no joke, no joke.
Speaker 2: I'm I kid you not. One of the members of Yellowcard was with Chad Smith when we just interviewed him. No Way, the guitarist from Yellow Card. I just met him moments ago. I said to him, Hey, this must be a huge summer for you, what with the World Cup going on, And he said, yeah, every four years on social media we get a boot.
Speaker 3: That is so great.
Speaker 4: So Yellow Card, Jason. I, my daughter Kelly, was in the seventh grade, and I took four three other seventh grade girls to go see Yellow Card at a college like an hour away. And I thought it was going to start at seven thirty. There were three opening.
Speaker 5: Acts and Yellow Card went on at ten thirty at night, and I'm with four seventh grade girls and Jeffrey was with me, crying out loud, and I screwed up the whole night and I kept hallowing him Green Card or Yellow Day.
Speaker 3: I couldn't figure out anything. It was the worst.
Speaker 4: It was one of the worst experiences of my life. However, when Yellow Card went on, you should have seen those girls ten thirty at night sway into the music.
Speaker 3: It made it all worthwhile. It was incredible.
Speaker 2: That's great great. I cannot believe. I cannot believe the ven diagram here. I cannot believe.
Speaker 1: Let's see, we are ten minutes into Jason Bennetti and we've talked Ragtime, the musical, Yellow Card, and Chad and the drummer from Red Hot. Are we ever going to get to baseball?
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty of We'll get to it in a minute. So we have to go back to the game shows for a minute.
Speaker 4: We had Kevin Brown, the great Kevin Brown, on the podcast last year, and he's told me more than once.
Speaker 3: Oh I pulled it out of what a.
Speaker 4: Great jeopardy player he is, Okay, and I believe it because he is wicked smart. You have never been in the same room with Kevin playing Jeopardy, I assume, is that correct?
Speaker 2: No? I mean we did four years of minor league baseball together, so it was a little bit like playing Jeopardy for the audience on a nightly baseball. You want esoterica, You want to not understand play by play. Listen to twenty eleven to twenty fourteen Syracuse Chiefs Baseball. You want something to fly over your head for a longer amount of time than you can dream. Put us to behind a microphone with triple A baseball, where like, whose line is it? Anyway? The points don't matter, and you're really you're really in trouble.
Speaker 4: That is so great We ask We asked Kevin Brown on the podcast to do his Sean McDonough impersonation, and he refused to do it because he said, I will just sound like Jason Bennetti doing Sean McDonough. And he said, and I'm not nearly as good as Jason Bennetti doing Sean McDonough. How many times do you how many times you've been asked to do Sean McDonough, Like a million.
Speaker 2: Enough that I actually feel a little bit bad because some people think I'm making fun of Sean, and I hate that because I just like sounds. I think Sean is truly one of the top three announcers that has ever lived have seen it all times, no doubt, for all time. He's a genius. His wit is beyond the scale of anything that should really be behind a sports microphone. He's been great to me. So when I hear that, a couple people have thought that I was making fun of him, Like I hate I just I love the sound of his voice. It comes out of the TV and just it's a powerhouse, but it's got sort of those like rounded edges that is fun to hear. So you know, I've been asked a trillion times to do it, and I love it so much. But I also like, I hate that people think I'm making fun of him in any way, because like if I'm if I if I sit here and I say, well, Tim, what are you doing a game together? Am I making fun of you? Or am I doing your voice? It's a caricature in some way. And by the way, next time you have Kevin brown on, ask him to do his impression of me. Really, his impression of me is just me interrupting my own sentences that when I really get on a roll, I'm like, you know, the one thing, well, if you say, now, the one problem with that is that's his whole impression.
Speaker 1: That was Jason doing Kevin doing Jason, which is so beautiful that we just got that right.
Speaker 4: And Jason, you might not appreciate this as much as I do because I grew up watching Jim Palmer and I worked with Jim Pommer. But Kevin Brown's impersonation of Jim Palmer is so perfect it is really really scary. Now, Jason, who else? Who else do you do now? Besides me? That was pretty good, even though the difference between Sean McDonald and me is he has a great voice and I have a terrible voice.
Speaker 3: Who else can I do?
Speaker 2: Voice? I love when you're in the middle of a leaf and you kind of like you're in the middle of a sentence and you can't get out of the sentence without a cackle. That's my favorite part of you, is when you're it's like a stable sentence and then suddenly you're like, you just can't. It has to emanate from you somehow.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of one of the other ones that I kind of like is a droopy dog. You remember the yes dog, So like, right, he'll go, hello you happy people, and you wave a little flag. You know it I'm sad. Right, that's a good one. I enjoy that one. I just liked the jug you know, when there was like a rain delay, I used to go into the other booth at the White Sox, you know, and stay the end. Cast were like it's raining.
Speaker 1: Oh my cheek shirt.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: Chris Kelly, the Sports Center voiceover guy, is one of my favorites too, because I like doing like really obscure fake menu items from chain restaurants that he has to announce, so like, uh, brought to you buy Applebee's new fruit loops and crusted rib like very Americana forward menu items that you could have imagine for the two hundred and fiftieth.
Speaker 3: Right, that is so great, Jesse, were you unfortunate?
Speaker 1: Sorry? We unfortunately?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He goes up.
Speaker 1: My dad gets the seam head edition of Baseball Tonight. He's been an analyst's whole career. He finally gets to host a show, and with hosting a show, you have to do ad reads, and he goes up against who but the legendary voice of ESPN. So they go to my dad and I love my dad to death, and he's amazingly talented, but he had to do Lows, and they told him you have to pause between Low's Lows Never Stop Improving, And we're watching the show and it just came off. This is brought to you by Lows Lows Never Stop Improving, And I don't we every time. That was fifteen years ago, and every time we go to Low's we say where are you going? I'm going to Low's Lows for stop improving.
Speaker 3: For Dad, I.
Speaker 2: Thought something will make you feel better about that. So, you know, we have we have the cards over here for the reads for the Tigers, and we do the billboards live. So it's a couple different sponsors over videos, you know, like it'll be by Skittles and buy the Home Depot. You know, we do them live. And for some reason, like a couple of weeks ago, I caught myself looking ahead on the card and I like panicked that I was going to do the wrong one. So I was like, okay, take it slow, make sure you read it right. So I do the McDonald's one. I say, McDonald's get a five dollars mcdouble meal today. And then I said, because I was going so slowly to make sure I didn't overread, I go and buy wallside windows, get a five dollars mcdouble meal. Today I hit the McDonald's tagline for the windows place. Because I was so worried about jumping ahead, I stalled out the same rapp as last time.
Speaker 4: That is so funny, Jason, these impersonations.
Speaker 3: Were you doing these when you were five? Were you doing them when you were ten?
Speaker 4: Or is this something that's come up since you've become an adult.
Speaker 2: So I I used to do a Hawk Harrelson as a kid. I was running around gym class, be like, you can put it on the board there, it won't you know. So that's that's where it started. But I do you know, the more I the more I live, the more I think all of the SNL I watched all of the Carmen, I listened to all of that, like Prime Comedy, Heyday of like growing up knowing John Candy and Bill Murray and the like the great comedy movies like Blazing Saddles and whatnot. Like I think there was like satire always in my heart and I I thought about this the other day. You guys are gonna find this to be ridiculous. But there was a program at my elementary school that sent to like fifth teen kids to a cable access TV station, and our assignment for this English class or whatever it was to was to come up with our own product that we created, and then we had to create an advertisement for the product. So it was like an SNL commercial parody, like Little Chocolate Donuts or Handy Off, you know, one of those things. So I came up with I don't know how or why, but it was right around the time dan Quayle. Remember dan Quayle misspelled potato in that classroom, right, the kid wrote potato and then dan Quayle was like, no, no, no, and then added an e at the end of it. And it was like the first viral doofy political video before Twitter, right, you know, and it was but he So I did president Vice Presidential Alphabets was the name of the product that I created, and the tagline was even you can spell potato, Oh.
Speaker 3: That is so beautiful.
Speaker 4: So, Jason, we talk about sitcoms on this show a lot because I'm you know, I'm twenty seven years older than you, but get smart. It's my great favorite sitcom of all time. Your favorite sitcom of all time is what.
Speaker 2: Favorite sitcom of all time? Is a really hard one because there are a couple. I mean, Sheers holds up beautifully. Still. I think Larry Sanders spawns so many careers. I mean from the pilot, you know, he's he's doing the garden weasel ad in the pilot and he looks at it and he treats it like a golf club, and he looks down the little mini grass and he goes, I think maybe about a seven weasel. Here's a cat, And I was hooked, right, So you know, Seinfeld's curb is on the list. I like good Fast Wit. The one that I would say probably gets underrated in the pantheon but has a really high joke per second number is Veep. Veep takes every advantage of every small moment to land another blow, and you feel like you're kind of being pummeled by comedy in an extremely cool, fun way. So I love that one too. I love the Mike Shore shows. I was very fortunate the one year twenty nineteen with the White Sox that Mike Schore did a White Sox game with me at the Angels. So the creator of Parks and rec and the Good plays, he played cousin Mose on the office, which is also on the list. But he's a huge baseball fan and he was amazing as a color analyst, Like he knew the cadence because he's a performer, but he watches so much baseball that that's kind of the confluence of comedy and baseball for me. Is Mike being nine innings of nails in the color chair for a while, Socks Angels game And are either of you Parks and Recreation fans?
Speaker 1: Hughe I am yes, and we're big Mike surefans. He recently just became the commissioner of Is this a Great Game?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 1: We had him on for his second time just a couple of weeks ago, and we were chatting about, you know, listener questions and things, and he said he deemed it. He said, if you ever need a ruling, if you ever need I love baseball more than anything. So he's already sent voice notes in for corrections and whatever it might be.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 1: He is, in fact, the third closest to third member of this show.
Speaker 2: That we have love. I love this Mike. So Mike Sure I just called emailed him like, hey, do you want to do this? I've read that you've wanted to call a game. You're interested in baseball. I love your work and he said sure, fine, whatever. So we he's looking at the rosters before he gets to the game, maybe a couple of weeks in advance, and he writes me a note to say that Ross Debt Wilder, who now is a member of the Orioles Farm System coaching staff. They just hired him a couple of weeks ago, I think, But Ross Dettweiler was on the White Sox, and Mike writes me to tell me that he named a place in Parks and Rec after Ross Detweiler. There is an episode where Dettweiler Square gets mentioned in Parks and Rec and it was after Ross Dettwiler. He would just go to a baseball reference and find names for the for stuff in the shows. So I got to introduce Mike to Ross Dettweiler and watch him tell him the story. It was amazing. It was amazing.
Speaker 4: Mike Sure is so funny. His recollection of baseball is incredible. So as the commissioner, he's made two rulings so far that correct me. Here, Jeff striking out the side means you face three batters in an inning, and you strike them all out as opposed to facing six batters, dragging out three and giving up three home runs. That's not so, Mike Schure says, that is striking out the side. And then he we had a guy right in that if you're fourteen and ten as a team, you're not four games over five hundred, you're only two games over five hundred, because twelve.
Speaker 3: And twelve is two away.
Speaker 4: So Mike Sure came on and made a ruling that fourteen and ten is actually four games over. And then somehow took Doctor Frankenstein and Frankenstein the Monster and made the analogy, and that's how he came up with it's four games over five hundred. That's what Mike Schure brings to our show.
Speaker 2: I can understand that because over time it's evolved to just Frankenstein, but it was doctor Frankenstein's monster, but nobody knows it as that, right, So I wonder how you would I wonder what he would think about me saying that the count isn't even at one and one.
Speaker 4: Right, and explain, Jason, because I saw you did this on Jason Stark and Doug Lambville's so explain. Look, I'm a pedantic, little twit. I've made that clear on this podcast many times.
Speaker 3: Little things bother me.
Speaker 4: I love baseball more than anything in the world, but little things bug me. And but I've never even considered that one until you brought it up.
Speaker 3: Now, please explain. I love it.
Speaker 2: Four balls, three strikes, So you start out as a batter at a disadvantage in terms of balls and strikes. For good reason, nobody wants to see three pitchwalks. But if you're at one and one, you're two strikes away from a strikeout, three balls away from a walk, that's not even. There's nothing even about that. You are closer to a strikeout than a walk. And so I don't think the count is even at one and one. I think the count is even at two and one.
Speaker 1: I think the unfortunate truth is by the numbers, not to poke holes in the theory is I mean, yes, you're two away, but from percentages, it took you longer, you know, fifty percent away from a walk, and only you know thirty three percent away from a strikeout. But if you're two strikes and two walks away, I think I I think I agree with you that you're you're even because two pitches could put you on first base or could send you back to the dugout. Two and one is an even count, I think I agree. Does that make three and two and even count?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Three two is even. You know people are like, oh, full count, payoff pitch, right, Well, doesn't the payoff pitch come when the count is even? Nothing's paying off if it's two and two. But it was like, oh even count, No, there's no payoff.
Speaker 4: This sounds something like we should ask Mike Sure the commissioner, about and have him make a ruling for when Jason's the week after Jason comes to agreed Jeff, Well.
Speaker 1: I mean we have enough time, you know, I could. I could insert it, you know what, the magic of podcasting without anybody knowing what he's going to say. Here's what we're gonna do. I'm going to insert Mike Sure right here, and then after I play it, we're all going to react as if we just heard it. Ready. Here's Mike Sure.
Speaker 6: Hi, everyone, Mike Sure here the commissioner. This is a very interesting question. Is the count even as per tradition when the number of balls and strikes in the EBAT is the same, A one in one count or a two and two count, or because it requires four balls or three strikes to end in a bat? Is the count actually even when the number of balls is one greater than the number of strikes A one and zero count, two and one, three and two. Ordinarily, in issues like this, I'm a sort of a pragmatist. I think, look, the count is even when the numbers are even. That's generally the way I break with these things. However, this is bothered me since I was a kid. I remember thinking, the count isn't even if it's two and two one more strike. This guy's out and it requires two balls to get him to first base. So it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of patience. But I think we can all come together as a baseball community and declare that it's actually only an even count when it's one more ball than there is strikes. This is my ruling, and as always, my rulings are final and there is no appeals process.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: What a brilliant right.
Speaker 1: He just provided such insight that was incredible.
Speaker 4: Right, Jason, you're right now, Mike sure has convinced me that you are right.
Speaker 3: Two and one is an even count. I'm seventy years old. I never thought about that.
Speaker 2: Now if Mike says the opposite, we should do another take where I get I get very angry, right, Mike, and then swear off all of his television programs, And.
Speaker 1: I just want the record set straight. I'm going to run both of these, So let me just add in here. Thanks Mike for calling me as handsome as I am. That's very sweet of you to say, just in Casey says that, No, how dare you Mike? How dare you never watching The Office again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That Andy, he's too zany?
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my gosh, Well thank you, Mike. Sure whatever you said was insightful and beautiful and we can't wait to hear it when the episode airs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, all right.
Speaker 4: So Jason, a couple a couple of little things that bother me. Both are about like pitches and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's always, it's always.
Speaker 4: I've always wondered why you only unquirk two things in the world. You uncork a bottle of champagne and a wild pitch. Have you ever thought about that before? That uncorked is never used except for those two examples. Is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try to uncork a theory here and think undo this. Yeah, it is this. It is one of the strange things. Dan Dickerson, the Tigers radio guy, and I have a running list of phrases that are either nonsense or we need the the origins of and we we decided that the phrase I got half a mind uh is only used in one instance. Usually it's immediately followed by a threat of battery. Nobody's ever right I got half of mine to buy you a tray of brownies. It's always like I got a half a mind to slap you, but like I got a half of mind to beat you up. Nobody ever has half a mind to get you a gift for Christmas?
Speaker 4: Right, good point, Nation, You're absolutely right, So give give me something else that you and Dan go back and forth on, because I I have a one thing that always has bothered me is when somebody gets hit by a pitch, they say he got beaned, he got hit in the leg, he got beaned in the leg. I always thought, and I will always think, that you get bean only when you get hit in the head, because this is called the bean You can't get beaned in the leg by a pitch.
Speaker 3: Am I right or wrong?
Speaker 2: No, your head is your bean. It's destroying the origin of the phrase. Yeah, that's that's like getting a shinburger in your chin. It's not gonna happen. The other one we were talking about today was the word uncouth. Few people use kuth but everything we all know what isn't kuth, But we're just circling around what is kuth by negating thing because they're not kuth enough. We know what kuth isn't.
Speaker 1: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: And Jason, no, it's we do that all the time. You're You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: One thing, Jason, that's uncouth, this is unrue, that's untrue. Show me something that's coothing.
Speaker 1: The quick, Jason. One thing I brought up to my dad for years that I I don't know why it irks my nerves so much, but when when broadcasters, you know, analysts, whatever it might be, say they have the best home run hitter in Kyle Schwarber, when I look at it, you should just say they have the best home run hitter Kyle Schwarber. We don't need to add the inn. It's unnecessary to me, right.
Speaker 2: Do you ever watch. Do you ever watch teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Jeff when you're growing up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was the little brain guy crying right. He was he was the mastermind of all the evil plots. But he had a he had a human suit that he would sit and sort of like the torso of and he'd run the levers of the very large robo human that he was in charge up. That's actually what's going on when we use that, we're being very specific. There is a tiny brain inside of Kyle Schwarber that is in sort of the Manchurian candidate sense joysticking the powerhouse that is the left handed tormentor of Major League baseballs. There is a home run hitter in Kyle Schwarber, right, right time, right.
Speaker 4: So, Jason, give us something. Give us something that you really stink at. Your great at game shows, you're great at trivia, you're great at broadcasting. Give us something that you don't know anything about, Like, I don't know anything about everything except for baseball, basketball, and sitcoms from the sixties. Give me something out there that most people know that you just don't know anything about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. I navigate the world and I have no idea how to walk straight. No, I uh the thing that I the thing that I wish I knew much more about. And I'm a foodie. But if you put me in the Chopped kitchen and said here are all the ingredients, make anything, I would make nothing that tasted good.
Speaker 5: Love.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of cooking. I've watched every episode of The Bear. I really enjoyed Chopped. I like a good meal. I'm happy to have a great restaurant in every city. I don't know how to cook. I don't and I wish I did, and it's terrible.
Speaker 4: Well, I do all the cooking at our house, Jason, believe me, we pray after we.
Speaker 3: Eat at my house.
Speaker 2: That's how bad I am.
Speaker 4: But Jason, you can get better at this, because I stink at it still.
Speaker 3: But I've gotten better.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me you're a bad cook, and you've actually tried to do it.
Speaker 2: So I'm not even just a bad cook. I'm just a non cook whenever I try like so. So, when I was in law school, I decided that I was going to make like couscous out of a box before I had people over for poker, and instead, instead of butter. I used olive oil and put it in the microwave, and I got to tell you, olive oil seems to be some sort of I didn't get a great grade in physics, but olive oil seems to be some sort of electroconductor of something that happened in that microwave, because immediately it fried the microwave. It was out on my porch in the back within twenty minutes of me trying to do this, And when everybody came over to play poker, it smelled like tire in my living room, like I tried to make. I tried to make boxed rice and failed.
Speaker 3: So that was uncouth tooth?
Speaker 4: Is that what you're saying is that, yes, Tim, Yes, all right.
Speaker 3: We have to switch subjects again.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if you know Jason, but Jeffrey was auto the Orange for four years at Syracuse. We paid fifty thousand dollars a year for him to go to school and he ran around in that little orange suit for.
Speaker 3: Four years and he loved it.
Speaker 4: And he was, believe it or not, a Division one athlete, and a lot of his personality came from that. You must have had a run in somewhere with a mascot somewhere along line, because we all have, especially little guys like you and me, seem to get in more trouble with mascots than the rest is any as a mascot ever, Like, give us a favorite mascot story.
Speaker 2: You're gonna love this. You're really gonna love this, and it's gonna be one of those where you laugh in the background and then they cut to your reaction because it's very baseball like that, exactly like that. So the one thing I can eat is shellfish. I have a shellfish allergy. It's not for cross pollination, cross contamination. It's just if I eat klamario, I'll have a reaction. So Alex Cora was in his first game as an ESPN Baseball analyst on the major league Baseball side. He had done like little league, junior league. We did a junior league final up in Bangor Main once. But his first ever game as an analyst was in the booth with me. I think it was Andy Jacobson producing in Baltimore. It was Boston and Baltimore. So they decide that for his first game, the oriole bird is going to come up to the booth with a certificate or a sign that says Alex's first game as a major league analyst. Very nice gesture, you know, al east Thowd rivalry. The oriol Bird comes up with the sign and a big boat of crab fries, and so Alex is like, why don't you have one? And I was like, oh, okay, And then I had and I was like, wait a secon, what's that seasoning? And they said, oh, it's crab fries. And I was like, well, Alex, you almost did the game on your own. The oriole Bird, as the story goes, was trying to kill me Allah Professor Plumber Conservatory with the fight with the crab fries. With the crab fries.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's incredible. Jason, I did a stand up at in Philadelphia. This is fifteen years ago, and the Philly Fanatic this is before the game, this is the open to the game on the sideline reporters. So we go from Sean McDonough and Sut and.
Speaker 3: Booty in the booth and throw it down to me.
Speaker 4: And I'm doing a stand up in Philadelphia and the fanatic comes up right next to me. He gets down on his knees so he's my height and he's got he pretends to be like the shortest guy on the field, and I'm trying to concentrate on doing the open and there is the fanatic on his knees. I just burst into laughter. It completely ruined the open and it was hilariously.
Speaker 2: Funny, phenomenal the fanatic, I would say, the Fanatic. And now Orbit in Houston. I think Orbit does a great job as well. If we're gonna do mascot rankings or anything like it, or Orbit has done a really nice job of going to the top of the pantheon of mascots. But I'm I'm sorry for all the short jokes that have happened, and I'm sorry to have contributed that time before, you know, before the Yankees finished their night that night.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, right, Jeff, If you don't remember, I did a Little League every year for ten years, and one year they somebody actually looked up that fifty two percent of the players in the Little League World Series.
Speaker 3: That year were taller than me.
Speaker 4: So I just left the Little League World Series go to a game in New York, first game I've ever done with knucklehead Jason Bennetti, and I explained this on the air fifty two percent, and he said.
Speaker 3: I was a little low to me. That's what he said.
Speaker 4: Ah, so bad, And I said and then what did I say after that?
Speaker 2: Well, you laugh for like three minutes and I love you. And that was your your notebook too, write this notebook everywhere.
Speaker 3: Right everywhere I go and get this, Jason.
Speaker 4: At the same Little League World Series I showed, Todd Fraser asked me how to use Tell me about your notebook? Why do you use it this way? Why do you use it that way? And the next day he shows up and he's got one of my notebooks and he's taken notes.
Speaker 3: Like I am. How about that?
Speaker 4: A major league player asked for my input on how to use a notebook and the next day he was using it just like I do.
Speaker 2: So I assume it sounded something like your big dog. What's in that notebook? Big dog?
Speaker 4: For an entire broadcast on a Little League World Series, you called me big dog, And I'm thinking, no person on earth you should be called big dog.
Speaker 3: Less than me, because that's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Todd Fraser's the biggest twelve year old of all.
Speaker 3: Time, still, Jason, after all these years, it is.
Speaker 2: So two things about Todd Fraser. Number One, this is nothing against any other play by play announcer that's ever been created. But I don't know that there's more joy in a booth than when you Todd Fraser and Mike Monaco are all together doing the Little League stuff. It is nonsense and it's hilarious. And then two, when Todd Fraser was with the White Sox in twenty sixteen, they had a fans beanbag tournament like a cornhole tournament where you could pair up, and they had a big bracket for White Sox fans. So Fraser and I entered and they did They did like a video bit about it, and the whole time he was just yelling at me for not landingback. Come on, j Z, what are you doing.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: Jason.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I get such a kick out of this. But Todd Fraser shares a birthday with.
Speaker 3: Abraham Lincoln, and.
Speaker 5: Just the thought of Todd Fraser and Abraham Lincoln have the same birthday, he goes like.
Speaker 1: This, me and honest day, same day, the same same birthday, like.
Speaker 2: Me, you know four score? You know we got four? They got two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Herb score eighty years ago yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: That is so marvel. I just I picture Todd in the hat and the beard, you know, I mean to be honest, like he married Todd Lincoln Todd Frasier. There's something going on there.
Speaker 1: Mary Todd Frasier. I mean, it all works out, it all makes its way. It's like seven degrees of Kevin Bacon. It will get there eventually.
Speaker 4: Well, Jeff, we do a lot of stupid things on this podcast, but this has been forty five minutes of complete lunacy here with Jason Bennetti.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you one.
Speaker 4: Baseball question before before we have to let you go here, even though we would love to keep you for five more hours. So, Jason, what has it been like on Sunday night when you are getting sometimes two different analysts that you've never worked with before, and you make it work so easily.
Speaker 3: And I know you could.
Speaker 4: Do anything, but it has to be a challenge to figure out, Hey, I've never done a game with this guy, and now I am what has that been like.
Speaker 2: It's honestly, it's one of the joys of my career. Tim. I really love spontaneity. I've learned to love it. Even more because of the late great Bill Walton. I love that man so much and how much he meant to my career. Is inescapable he you know, he always number one wanted to have the music on. That was his advice always to me and to so many others. Just always have the music on, have something playing. And his mind was so vivid. But he also didn't want to talk to you before the game. He wanted to go on the air, and he wanted to in the moment do whatever it was. You know, he wanted to live it the way it was going to be, in the most spontaneous form. And it has been an absolute blast to watch people come together over baseball, like conversations in the booth that happened that you never I never would have expected based on the people we have and the questions that get asked. I just is it is like I imagine Hall of Fame week and at Cooperstown, where everybody is sitting around and talking and sharing stories. But we're watching the game and doing this game as well, and we're evolving like it's only going to get better. But it does feel a little bit like an oblique version of SNL, which has always tickled my fancy. You know, they have table reads and they have writers' rooms and all that stuff, and we have our production crew and then two people show up and then a third one downstairs, and it's all like guest hosts. But if we do it right, anybody should be comfortable doing it. And I think that if people say that baseball is a common language that you can speak, I think this show proves that. Then a game breaks out, multiple people who care about the sport are talking about it, and it just works. And I think it works because of the universe universality of baseball as a land.
Speaker 4: Which Jason, I'm repeating you though, But isn't this what makes baseball so beautiful is you just show up and suddenly that it works because everyone has the shared love of the game. Doesn't matter where you're from, or how tall you are, how short you are, if you love the game, it's all gonna work. Right.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that, because I do. I When I think about it like that, Tim, I feel like I'm being a little soupy because I'm part of this show. But I would love this show even if I wasn't part of this show because of exactly that because the love for baseball Number one. NBC has such a rich history of doing the game and caring about the history of Major League Baseball and this day in baseball that we do most weeks, and the baseball cards they put up of guys who played for both teams and the game that we're doing. But the game itself has this richness and this beauty, and part of the beauty is see it from a different angle and still love it. Even if you're the type of person who talks about no hitters like I am, and Roger Clemens is sitting next to you, thinking, if only there wasn't this microphone in this camera, I would have half a mind to swat at this guy for talking about no hitters, you know, he he he said, in the middle of sunny is seven and a third no hit possibility. He said to Middlebrooks and me, Will Middlebrooks, he goes, can you guys just move your chairs away from me? And that's great. It's great that he didn't want to be any part of somebody talking about a no hitter as it's happening, and he just he was furious. Under the surface, it was great, But that's the thing you can you watch a game with somebody, there's this commonality of the love for the game. He knows what I'm doing, I know what he's doing. And nobody took a swing at each other, thankfully, because I would have not made it to the end of the night.
Speaker 3: We got to go back to Bill Walton for one second. Here.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I told you this story, Jason, but I met Bill Walton at an ESPN like get together where all the analysts and all the TV guys were there. So I go up to Bill Walton and I don't have the courage. I'm so afraid because he's Bill Walton and I grew up watching him.
Speaker 3: He's the greatest.
Speaker 4: College basketball player other than Luel Cinder I've ever seen. So I go up to him, and I'd had a couple of beers. That's the only way I could go up to him. And I said, Bill, my whole gold in life is to play at a pick up basketball game with you and Larry Bird, Like that would be the greatest thing ever because you would be the two greatest teammates in the history, especially for a dinky little point guard like me. So he looks right at me and he says well, now that you're off the San Francisco Giants beat, maybe.
Speaker 3: We can arrange that.
Speaker 5: So here, he got me mixed up with the late Pedro Goldbez.
Speaker 3: He thought it was Pedro Goldman, So I told him no.
Speaker 4: I told him this story, like I'm really I'm really putting myself out there to go talk to him, and he thinks I'm somebody else.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, what Yeah? That Bill.
Speaker 4: It was a brilliant man and a brilliant broadcaster and a repeat one of the greatest basketball players I've ever seen. But he thought I was somebody else and I left it. All I could do was just laugh out loud, like, oh my god, I bared my soul and I want I want to feed him in the low post that he doesn't even.
Speaker 3: Know what my name is.
Speaker 2: That's phenomenal. Oh my gosh, that's phenomenal. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So, Jason, is there a moment in addition to the Clemens moment that you've had in the booth. You know, it's such a great concept that you guys have going on there in that booth. I love it, you know, representatives from both teams and it's just it's special. It's really really special. Tell us a little bit, you know, about the players you've come across, sat next to, played with, or you know, done a game with stories that have really, you know, made a difference.
Speaker 4: In your mind. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's every week there's something new, there's something random that comes up. I mean, you know, Dan Petrie and Mike Bassett did a Tiger's Rangers game and they're from different generations, and randomly Dan Petrie started talking about this guy, Bill Fahey. Tim you might remember Bill fa.
Speaker 3: Remember Bill Catcher, of course, yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Dan mentions Bill Fahey and Mike Bassett on the air looks at him like, how do you know Bill Fahey, and Mike goes, yeah, I grew up knowing Bill Fahee's kids. So they have this mutual friend that they had no idea they were going to have, and they're having this really cool moment where baseball is connecting both of them and they talked for a couple of pictures about Bill Fahee and actually, Dan when we were down in Texas recently had lunch with Bill and hung out at his house and they rekindled you know, it was very nice. But in the middle of this conversation Rizzo jumps in. Anthony Rizzo is downstairs doing the inside of the pitch thing. He goes, you guys are old, great perfect. The other one that was that was really funny was John Cruck, who you know. John Kruck gets this reputation for being zany and off the wall and saying weird stuff with it. He's a great baseball analyst. I think John is fantastic at the job. And he you know, there's all the catch for you know whatever, right the wild sort of Bill Walton, this is John Kruck. We have an SNL promo in the game we did in April. It was C. J at Kowski, John Cruck and Rizzo and I and there's a Saturday Night Live promo And I say, hey, John, weren't you on Saturday Night Live ones mistakenly remembering Chris Farley playing John Cruck on Weekend up Right, No harm, no foul. He goes, I've never seen it. And I said, well, what, it's Saturday Night Live. You had to have seen it. He goes, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know comedy.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He goes, you know what I do like? I like? There are two newscasters that share jokes and they write jokes for each other on the web. There and I go, that's Michael, Jay and Colin jokes on Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 3: He said he's never seen it before.
Speaker 1: And then he's a referenced. This is a huge bit that's become famous in the last five six years. Every year they do it on their final show.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, it's exactly right. It's like him saying, you know what, I've never seen that twenty four. But there's this crime fighter Jack Bauer, who I really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Well, Jason.
Speaker 4: When you talk about connecting, that's the beauty of baseball.
Speaker 3: They're connections everywhere.
Speaker 4: I want to ask John Kruck when we were going to see the Marlins on the bus tour at ESPN, I said, do you know, have you ever met Edwin Rodriguez, who was the manager of the Marlins, brand new to the team. So he goes, yeah, I played with him in winter ball. That's always the answer. You know, oh, I play he was a teammate of winter ball, or I played with him at Bakersfield. They're always connected one way or another. So he tells the story, this is gruesome but Edwin Rodriguez got hit by a pitch in the mouth in a game, and he's on the ground at home plate. Blood is everywhere and he's on his knees. Jose de Leone, the first base coach, comes running in to see if Edwin Rodriguez is okay, and Jose d Leone sees this crucive sight and he faints on the field and they bring an ambulance and they take Jose de Leone away in the ambulance and not Edward Rodriguez, who got hit in the mouth with a That's the story Kruk, he told me when I asked him, do you know Edward and Rodriguez? This is the beauty of Kruoky and the beauty of baseball. You ask just a simple question, do you know this guy? And that's the answer that you get. Oh, it's just the most beautiful. It's the most beautiful sport in the world.
Speaker 2: It's NonStop connectivity. And can I make one more connection before we go. I've been asking about you. I've been thinking about your laugh, tim Uh, and the spontaneity of your laugh, and I've been trying to place it. Did you ever watch the TV show soap.
Speaker 4: Yes I did. Was not one of my favorites, but I know the show.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So there's a character Chuck and Bob, and it's a ventriloquist act. So Chuck is the human Bob is the ventriloquist dummy. And there's a time when Danny's daughter gets gets kidnapped, and every time Bob thinks about little Wendy, he goes into like this raucous crying fit Bob does and he's like, Oh, I just misser.
Speaker 3: Wenny, Wenny, Wendy, Wendy, whnny.
Speaker 2: That's what I The sponsaneity of your laugh sounds like when Bob goes into that fit about Wendy. It is one of the greatest characters of all time because all of the regular characters on soap, because Chuck is so good at it, start talking to Bob the dump. They do a bit where Bob is blindfolded and he's guessing what other people are holding. So the dummy has a blindfold on and they're holding an apple and they go watch watch Bob will be able to guess what it is, and he goes.
Speaker 3: It's round and it's red.
Speaker 2: It's an apple, and I think it sounds a little bit too much like your lap, tim.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that is so bad. All right, I can't leave without this.
Speaker 4: So Daniel Herrera pitched in the major leagues for several years, like five to seven, weigh one hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 3: He's the littlest picture I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: And I asked him once, you know, guys make fun of you and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: He goes, Yeah.
Speaker 4: In the minor leagues, we had a bullpen coach who used to put me on his lap and put his hand up the back of my jersey and he would do a ventriloquist act where I was the dummies sitting on his lap because.
Speaker 3: I was so much smaller than him.
Speaker 4: Albert Covina was the bullpen catcher, coach or whatever.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: That's amazing. That is the quintessential baseball story, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, of course, all you gotta do is, as Daniel rrare, what's your funniest little guy story?
Speaker 3: And that's what you get.
Speaker 4: They put him on his lap and pretended he was a vitriloquius fact. Oh god, all right, Jason's got a call him major league game tonight. And we haven't talked baseball for more than fifteen seconds. I'm sorry, Jason, but thank you, thank you so much for making us laugh like this.
Speaker 2: Thank you for making me laugh just like this too. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Guy Jason from is this a great game or what? Just shoot me a text with your address will pass you along. A rice cooker makes life so much easier. You won't ever have to worry.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Thank you so much. I'll present it to Ben Rice when we have the anchor.
Speaker 4: How about what Max Freed pitched to Ben Rice when he caught her that time with the battery?
Speaker 3: Was Fried Rice to me, Come on, this can it can't happen.
Speaker 4: It can happen, but only in baseball. This is what we live for, is what we do for a living. Gosh, now I'm gonna go back and listen to Kevin Brown and Jason Bennetti doing the Syracuse Chiefs game from eleven to fourteen.
Speaker 3: That must have been a complete riot.
Speaker 2: The whole time we play. We used to play a game called where are the Parents, where there would just be ferial children running around and we narrate what they're doing without adult supervision.
Speaker 3: In the stands, Meet the parents, Where are the parents?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Jason call a major league baseball game. Thank you for joining our little podcast yet again.
Speaker 2: Flag to