Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Quite a hour on this Thursday. It's a meat Thursday. Every day. Meet Friday coming up? Are thanks to Heartland State Company Meat Yes, polled port, smoked sausages, mac and cheese, brisket, baked beans, and coleslaw. Who has it better than we do? Already? We say good morning to those who were watching on Peacock, our streaming partner of the NBC Sports Network. Our radio affiliates over four hundred cities carry the program. And the great audience that showed up again this morning. Thank you again. We could have been a little more enthusiastic. You know, I don't know, Try that again. And our great audience that showed up this morning. Here they edit out the first one. No one will ever know. All right, Seeton, what's the poll? Qull Oh is this still the Tom Brady poll question? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got two of them up there right now. Vince Wilfork, by the way, has joined the fight. He's not pleased with Tom either. Who should Tom Brady root for in this Super Bowl? I can't believe we're actually asking this New England, Seattle or neither New England have fifty five percent of that vote. Neither has thirty seven percent, and then the biggest dog on the show today, Bo Jackson, Gerald McCoy, Andrew Luck or Peter herb Street. Bo Jackson running away with that one, Peter herb Street and second with almost twenty percent of that vote.
Speaker 4: Andrew Luck.
Speaker 3: Just based on the way Bo Jackson is dominating, he's currently in third. He is losing to the dog Peter, but it's a respectable five point seven percent.
Speaker 2: I think he's okay. I think he's okay with that too, okay, Age seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP shell, Melissa Stark and Katie Hartungu. They're working the sidelines for Super Bowl sixty. They will join us in about twenty five minutes from now. Is Andrew Luck, Stanford University general manager and former number one overall pick by the Coltspack in twenty twelve. As we make way for Andrew Luck on the program, looking lean, man, looks lean, how much weight did you lose?
Speaker 5: A good bit twenty pounds. I will say it's too early for my ego to be hurt by being behind a dog at a poll. But I'm coming to terms with that.
Speaker 2: It is a good looking dog.
Speaker 5: Though it's a famous dog, it's a good looking dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How close did you come to coaching Stanford football?
Speaker 5: Not close at all.
Speaker 2: You had no interest, no, no interest, no desire.
Speaker 5: Wasn't right for me?
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought that that's as close as you can get to replicating what it's like to play. You have no interest in replicating that feeling.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: Look, I volunteer coach for two years at Pwelltahigh School before before taking the GM job, was the freshman offensive coordinator uh in JV.
Speaker 2: But were you good?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think I was very good. I don't think I was. It's I do think I do think there's some truth to what you said, Dan about it's the It's probably the closest thing to replicating what it's like to playing, but not right for me. I want to have an incredible respect for the coaching profession to uh for my life, our family. What Stanford football needs and needed a year ago and needs now like I'm I'm in, I'm in the perfect spot.
Speaker 2: Explain what your role is.
Speaker 5: Uh So I'm the general manager of the team. I I think maybe in some ways also act like a team president or an athletic director just for football. Do a lot of fundraising, a lot of spreading the good word. I feel like a like an evangelical preacher barnstorman you know the country, you know, to proselytizing about Stanford football. Roster management certainly made have made coaching changes, you know, the short tenure and hired Tavita Pritchard ours our as our head coach and helping him with staff. And look, we's what's still so unique about college sports as we Stanford football exist within Stanford University's ecosystem, right like it's we're part of this amazing institution of higher ed. So building bridges with the academy. I mean, we have one hundred and nine guys on the team, let's say, eighteen to twenty two year olds. They're amazing. They also, like eighteen to twenty two year olds, do some dumb stuff, like I still do dumb stuff, Like we all did dumb stuff, and it's uh so working with them every day is a blast. And yeah, it's a little bit of everything. It's a little bit of everything, a lot of learning on the job.
Speaker 2: Dan given nil if you were coming out of high school? Would you have still gone to Stanford?
Speaker 5: I would have look on what three or four years ago? I'm not sure. You know, we we we were a little slow to adapt and and embrace the changes. But today app I was talking to Christian McCaffrey about this last week, we we we we saw each other. Was asking his perspective on it, and and and he was he's, I'm sure he'd say it. If you're sitting right here, he'd go to Stanford again. Right. We have a unique value proposition, and I do know we are serious about football. And if you're a serious football player that also has the academic qualifications, the grades, you know we're the place for you.
Speaker 2: But as far as money goes, yeah, and I have somebody who's a great source on this. You got to have around forty million dollars if you want to be a top end football program. That feels like in the in the treasure trove there the collectives you're nil? Is that a fair number? Do you think a n Stanford in that?
Speaker 5: I'm not. I won't get into our numbers or any other numbers. I know. I don't see the balance sheets, you know, including collectives, but it's it's a murky market. There's there's there's not much transparency to it. I think there are certainly schools and programs that seem willing to do whatever it takes, you know, to get there. We think we can do it our way and be competitive and look the person the pudding, right, we got to go out and play games. You got to go out and put a winning product on the field. You got to teach great football. You got to coach great football. And I think we have that with our young men in the locker room and our coaching staff.
Speaker 2: But how is it when you're negotiating with somebody who wants money? Yeah, how does that work? Do you talk to the player, the agent, the parents?
Speaker 5: It's the full spectrum.
Speaker 6: But what is that like?
Speaker 5: You got players certainly representing themselves, You've got agents, and then you have the full continuum of agents, right from those who have been doing it for a long time, from those just starting out on the journey, parents as well. Certainly, each one creates a little bit of a different dynamic with its own challenges. I also have a great assistant GM. You know, I'm a people pleaser, Dan, So if I it's still part of college is recruiting right, and fall in love with the kid, and and and selling Stanford. So you know, I get compromise and negotiation fairly quickly. You know, what, do you want? Five million day? Okay, I'll give it to you. Let's make a seven, let's go here you go. You're I but it's uh, it's it's a it's a muscle. I'm wanting to exercise as well. Absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh, what do you miss about football?
Speaker 5: You know? The elements of football that I do miss are part of why I'm back in the game in this role right as as a general manager, having a role, being on a team. Game days are fun, like I I forgot, Like I actually sort of enjoy the stress of are we gonna you know, win or not? Like it's it's exhausting. Uh, in a in a real way.
Speaker 2: How does the loss affect you when you're the GM as opposed to a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Uh, you're not as physically hurt. I don't miss don't miss getting hit. Okay, I don't miss getting hit. I think you asked different questions the area were sporting our coaches enough, Like there's no waiver wire in the NFL, there's no you don't sign in college like there is in the NFL. You don't sign guys off the street to a place. So you think about, you know, how are we developing our guys? What are Do we have enough of what we need for the future? Do you know do I need to ask certain questions that help us going? But I I you know one, you're You're in it with everybody. It's in and it's fun to be back in it. Uh and live in the highs and lows.
Speaker 2: He's Andrew luck, the Stanford University general manager. I did not know this, but people at Stanford sent this to me. Stanford's one of five schools to produce a US president and a Super Bowl winning quarterback. You know the answers, don't you? Okay?
Speaker 5: I better know the answers. I hope I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Who wants to take a guess here? There are five schools, so Stanford's won. Paul Michigan Michigan, is there? Marvin Delaware, Delaware? Sneaky Snaky Miami of Ohio Navy. Oh yeah, who's the most famous graduate of Stanford?
Speaker 5: Who is the most famous? I don't think Tiger graduated.
Speaker 2: You didn't you didn't give a degree.
Speaker 5: Christian hasn't graduated yet.
Speaker 2: Uh, do you give honorary degrees.
Speaker 5: I'm sure we give honorary I don't know if we got I don't have that authority, Dan, I don't know who's the most famous. Herbert Hoover was our president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's not famous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Larry Page and Serge oh h very rich. Yeah. I got to see Jim Plunkett last night, and he might not be the most famous, but at least I think in my life right now, to see Jim Plunkett walk around and you know, to see a Heisman trophy, Yeah, and gosh, hopefully NFL Hall of Fame soon, and he's he's maybe the most relevant Stanford grad in my life besides my wife.
Speaker 2: I always thought that you were a defensive minded player playing quarterback. Did you play with a like a defensive player's mentality or am I overrating then?
Speaker 5: I don't know. The last time I played defense was I think seventh or eighth grade, and I got to play defensive end. I enjoyed it, not as much as I enjoyed quarterback. I did relish the opportunities to hit people. They were few, but when they popped up, it was I enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: But when you would throw an interception, you wanted to make the time.
Speaker 5: There was part of me that did. And you know, it's some of that, and I certainly if there's young quarterbacks out there that I'm talking to, some of that takes a toll, right, And there's there's part of being a quarterback that you've got to But.
Speaker 2: Can you do what Peyton did and just go into a fetal position.
Speaker 5: I'm not your went to a fetal position.
Speaker 2: He went down. He wasn't going to try to make a tackle there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I played the way I played. I'm not sure if I could have done it anyway else.
Speaker 2: When you look at the game, it used to be that college and the pros were very different. Now the NFL has taken a lot of what college football does. Are they still doing that that what you run offensively is what a lot of these NFL teams are doing, or making the transition easier for these quarterbacks to take your like you know Cam Newton, they Carolina took his system at all. Aren't just to make it easier? You know, the transition.
Speaker 5: There's a couple questions there. One the transition of quarterbacks from college to the NFL, which which can be you know, can be a tough one. I know how I was trained at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw and Greg Roman. Was a was an incredible training ground to come into an NFL and run, you know, a Bruce Arians offense and and handle some sophistication in the run game and in the past game. I do think, uh, franchises need to be very honest about what their quarterbacks need, especially rookie quarterbacks, because it's a lot. It's a lot on a young man's plate, and it's a tough position, right, Uh, a really tough position. And then as far as the the constant evolution of offenses, I I do think college because of the breadth and at all levels, you know, including you know, especially fcs and then FBS, people try stuff right they do. It's it's almost like a Petri dish for offense. And I know part of what what I enjoyed my last year playing in the NFL with Nick sirianni and and Frank Reich as we'd watched we'd watch film of what I was was doing in the RPO game and install the what we thought we could we could do well yeah. Absolutely, Look, you've got to look for an edge on offense, right. If you get too stagnant, you die. And and I think that'll always happen. I think I think that will continue to happen where college is a bit of a bit of a you know, try it out area.
Speaker 2: What role did your wife play in your decision to retire?
Speaker 5: Oh? I retired and she she was six maybe seven months pregnant with our eldest, and she was loving being pregnant. And once I felt supported by her no matter what, you know, through it all, and so she was just there support. I didn't. I didn't feel alone through it and helpful, helpful.
Speaker 2: But you run it by you know, you're it's going to be a big weekend. You were going to get to that Sunday and hold a press conference, weren't you? And then Saturday at leaks? Yeah, what was it like when you came home after Saturday's game?
Speaker 5: Well? What her her birth her thirtieth birthday party was that was the weekend before and she's she's accused me ever since of hijacking her birthday party to tell our family who came into town and our close friends that like it was done so I get to I get to live with that for the rest of my life, in our in our relationship. Sorry, honey. Uh. And then that weekend, I I remember, you know, I want to say she used to she used to scooter, like take the electric scooters from our condo in Indianapolis to Lucas Oil Stadium because it's right there downtown. And so she was, you know, she wasn't she wasn't gonna go to the game. She know I wasn't playing. It was the preseason game. Chuck Pagano was on the other sideline as the as the coordinator. Uh. I think for the Bears. Maybe it was a team Yeah, is that right? Thanks? Thank you, Paul. I'm very disappointed you did not do my impression, which is which is I I may I may accuse it as an act of solt miss perhaps for not doing it. But she was late to the game, so she got on a scooter to get there. When she realized the news broke, it was like, oh shoot, I got to get there and support and support.
Speaker 7: It was a Lime scooter. They're all over in San Francis for the lives. They're readily available public transportation. It was about forty five minutes to get down here, down twenty pounds for my playing glad to be in charge so Stamford Cardinal football go o red.
Speaker 2: I did ask him if he was going to do the impersonation. He goes, I don't know, I probably should. Andrew is such a nice guy. He could still pump my face. And then I said no, no, no, you got to do it. You know, it's a tradition unlike any other. I don't know if there's a big market out there for Andrew Luck impersonators here like Frank Kelly Endo is probably not going to do one.
Speaker 7: Yes, But when Andrew came back and took over his Stanford Football's gym, I got to bring it back out again.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Nobody was more excited to see you back in mainstream America then, thank good luck with the role there.
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 2: And uh, can you get fired? Sure you can? Absolutely? Okay, Yeah, I don't want that to happen. I'm just saying, I don't know who's your boss.
Speaker 5: My boss is our athletic director. Oh okay, he's fantastic body. Yes, he can fire me. I got it. We gotta perform. I know.
Speaker 2: It sounds like something you would say all eligible at least seven wins. I'm all housible is Andrew Luck, thank you.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. That's a pleasure, not a bad statday these guys.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPPT got here.
Speaker 8: I have a podcast Empire. It continues to grow, and I have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm because my wife wanted to kick me out of the house. It's called ste Gods and Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports.
Speaker 5: A lot of phone.
Speaker 9: Calls, I love you, got your show.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 8: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gotson Company and Steve Gotson Company Live. So listen to ste Godson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate, and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football Taylor's livelihood.
Speaker 5: Depends on it.
Speaker 8: Do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Try to sneak in a few more phone calls here. We'll talk to Chris Collinsworth and Mike Cheriko. No join us tomorrow in the program. We rescheduled Melissa Stark and Kaylee Hartung. They're going to be doing sideline for Super Bowl sixty and they will join us coming up tomorrow. CD Lamb from the Cowboys set to join us. Malcolm Butler set to join us. Maybe we could get him to reenact the interception and the play that I think is the most impactful, most important, greatest play in Super Bowl history. All right, eight seven to seven to three DP show sources close to me tell me super Bowl sixty is this Sunday, the Patriots and the Seahawks, and you can see it on NBC and Peacock. He's one of our favorite guests, Always available, always insightful, the former defensive back now working for the Mothership as a college football and NFL analyst. He's Lewis Riddick of joining us on the program. No looks like he could still hit somebody.
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Both?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I like, jo this.
Speaker 6: Is that too much?
Speaker 12: Zipper?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: It's good?
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 11: All right, good. I'm glad, y'all Like, I'm glad.
Speaker 6: This is great. This is a great setup.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: You look like you could be in the car with Denzel in training day.
Speaker 6: You know what. I kind of like this. Let me tell you how I bought this jacket.
Speaker 11: So I'm a big airport shopper. So depending upon like the airport you go to, a lot of airports have like.
Speaker 6: High end shopping.
Speaker 11: I'm walking through the Newark Airport the other day and I'm like, I have a jacket.
Speaker 6: I'm not really feeling it. I'm just like, man, this is a crap. I need to get something better than this.
Speaker 11: And I look and they have this high end shopping like a Hugo Boss place, and I'm like, it's like six in the morning and they're just opening it. I was like, give me that jacket. I bought that thing on the spot, put this thing on, put my other one in the suitcase. I've been wearing it ever since. That's how I do things, though it's bury of the.
Speaker 2: Moment, spontaneous that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: Did you play that way spontaneous? No, I was kind of value.
Speaker 11: I was kind of analytical because you know, because Bill Belichick and Nick were always on my you know what, man, So I didn't really kind of play too spontaneous. I was kind of really analytical. But I'll tell you this though. When I got you lined up, Dan, it was lights out. It was ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 11: I was a big time hitter and no quick. That's how football was back then.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 11: You know, big safety Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith, that's what Kenny Easy, those were all my heroes, man. So that's that's kind of how the game was played then.
Speaker 2: That count.
Speaker 6: Oh let's see, well there was two.
Speaker 11: Guys, right, So there was my rookie year when I was with the Falcons, was with Jerry Glanville. I I know I had a concussion in that game, but that was before like concussion protocols became like what they are now. I mean, I just remember Scott Case and them looking at me going like he was like, dude, you you don't know what's going on to you. I was like, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: So every plant like it was a it was a preseason Scott Case would know.
Speaker 11: Scott Case was like one of the like true like football assassins back in the day. So I hit this kid named Lynn James from from Cleveland in a preseason game. Unfortunately, I think it wound up like cracking a bone in his neck and he had to retire, and I was I was like not altogether at that point in time, I didn't even know what I was doing. I was just kind of like remember dropping down into like this robber type coverage and saw the ball thrown and hit him about as hard as I possibly could. A guy named Frankie Smith, one of our defensive backs. His finger got caught in between my helmet and the shoulder pad ripped the tip of.
Speaker 6: His finger off.
Speaker 11: It was a nasty play and I was concussed during the play. So I don't even remember what the hell really happened. Because I had hit Kevin Mack earlier in that game. That's what it happens, So you know what Kevin Mack is like. I think there there was that one Vincent Brisbee from the Patriots in our playoff game in ninety five. I clocked him pretty darn good. I had a couple of them. Nate Terrell Fletcher from this from the Chargers out in San Diego. Once I caught him on the sideline, flipped him like a bowling pin.
Speaker 6: Once I saw some pretty good ones.
Speaker 2: Do you run into these guys and does this come up?
Speaker 11: No, I haven't seen a lot of those. I haven't seen a lot of those dudes. But you know what, that's how we used to do it. You remember the late great Eric Turner safety from the Browns who passed away. Yeah, probably one of the fiercest hitters I've ever seen ever, like this guy.
Speaker 6: That's how football was though back then. That's how it used to be.
Speaker 2: I remember Rodney Harrison telling me that he faced Jerry Rice. Yeah, Jerry came over the middle. Rodney said, I don't care who he is. He clocked him.
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Got fined for it, but he said, I he goes. I had to let Jerry Rice know who I was, and you don't come over the middle.
Speaker 11: Then I have the funniest damn story about Jerry Rice. Okay, so we're playing San Francisco Monday Night Football nineteen ninety six in Atlanta, and that's when Steve was there, and Brent Jones I believe, was still there. Ricky was the running back waters and all anyway, Jerry runs a slant and I had him lined up and Steve overthrew him, and I'm screaming in Jerry's face. I'm like, expletive, expletive expletive, like you're so lucky you didn't catch that ball.
Speaker 1: You're so lucky.
Speaker 6: And I'll tell you what.
Speaker 11: I don't know if I can get up, but I literally like he looks at me and he grabs my shoulder pad and he turns me around and looks looks up my name plate with backs and he goes, who are you?
Speaker 6: And walks away. And I was just like.
Speaker 11: Wow, I just kind of get in. A couple of teammates were just like, damn dude, he just clowns. He literally turned me around, he was like.
Speaker 5: Who are you.
Speaker 6: I was like, you would have known who I was.
Speaker 11: It was it was like one of those where you like, you know, you want to talk to the goat, you want to tell the goat how you're about to knock him out. And he was just like, I don't even know who you are, so I mean, like, like what do I care you know, I was just I was like, well, whatever, I got Steve pretty good in that game too. Steve, Steve Young is Look, I call him the great Steve Young whenever I see him, because he truly is. He's one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever played this game. Steve was so damn good. I caught him one time. I called him in mid air. He tried to jump over me. He was running like a quarterback keeper and I umped him on his head. It was pretty It was a pretty good hit too. He fumbled the ball and stuff. That was that same game. And look, honestly, I think that ninety six season I played against some really good teams that year, man, I mean we played against I mean Dallas was still rolling at that time.
Speaker 6: That might have been ninety two to ninety three. I played against.
Speaker 11: Brett Farr, we played, we played all the great quarterbacks back then. I mean, there were some this really really dominant teams in the early nineties.
Speaker 2: But I remember Mike Hombrin telling me about Far. He said, what's it like coaching him? He said, well, he loves degree of difficulty. That guy's open, but that guy's got three guys covering him. He was covered by three.
Speaker 6: That seems like Brett. That seems like, you know, I first met Brett.
Speaker 2: But could you fool him into making him make those difficult throws?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 11: Interestingly enough, Okay, so I played against Brett when he was in his rookie season, when Sterling, Sharp and all of them were still there in the early nineties.
Speaker 6: Could you full Brett into it?
Speaker 11: I don't know, necessary really think that Brett really cared if you were trying to fall in.
Speaker 6: He's gonna do what he wanted to do.
Speaker 11: So whether or not he read the coverage right or not, it didn't really matter. He's just throwing what he's doing what he wants to do because he had he had that kind of like arm arrogance that guys like Stafford have now where it doesn't really matter what you do because they know there's like only about you know, maybe a handful of guys who've ever walked the face of the earth who can fit a ball into a spot that maybe no one else can, so they do it anyway.
Speaker 6: Those are guys who are like Elway was kind of like that.
Speaker 11: Like when you played against John you knew that he had that go go gadget arm and could throw it a mile and he could also run, and he just had that look on his face like I don't really care what you do. It's about what I do. And those those dudes are special man. And yeah, Brett Brett was like that.
Speaker 2: Talking to Lewis Riddick of the Mothership. You strike me as somebody who doesn't make their Super Bowl pick on Monday. Hmm, that you might wait until Friday or Saturday.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's yeah, that's part of my analytical name.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: But is there something that you could see that's going to change your opinion today Thursday morning? Is there something you could hear or watch that would change your opinion?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 6: The only thing that right now I believe.
Speaker 11: Okay, if you if you heard something about the health status about one of these quarterbacks being maybe worse than what they're leading it, and you're leading us on to believe. So if Drake's shoulder is not quite as good as you maybe he says it is, or if Sam's oblique is like bothering maybe a little bit more than people says it is, that's that's maybe the thing that could kind of tilt me one way or another. I'm kind of fifty to fifty on this game, man, I really am because look, I think Mike, I think the combination of Rabel and Josh McDaniels is as good, if not.
Speaker 6: The very best in the league.
Speaker 11: I mean, how many Super Bowls as Josh McDaniel coached in Is it like nine? And something ridiculous? Mike has played in a bunch and want a bunch. I think they're the best coach team in the NFL that combination. I think Mike McDonald's one of the most analytical, even keeled, level headed guys in the NFL that you're blown away by. And their football team defensively is this ridiculous, but so is New England's. Seattle's offense is a little bit more explosive. Sam has a penchant for either being really good or he can have one of those games where you're sitting there going mmm, now you know you see why?
Speaker 5: Maybe you know.
Speaker 11: Minnesota has some reservations. Although I think buying large, Minnesota still wishes that they had Sam Darnold. I don't know, man, I'm going back and forth on this. I'm leaning towards Seattle because of how strong they are defensively and because of the explosiveness they have on offense, but coaching matters in this league, as we know in New England's got two of the very best and their defense is a problem too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, js N, would you have been a big problem for you?
Speaker 10: Ah?
Speaker 11: Wide receivers were a problem for me now, But I was I was a big, old like RoboCop type safety that was just trying to knock you out.
Speaker 6: I wasn't trying to cover two you.
Speaker 11: I think that's you know, the game has changed so much, man, it really had. I was talking to Charles Woodson like a couple of years ago we were down and it was when we were down in Phoenix when the Chiefs were playing Philly the first time, and We're standing on the sideline and I was just looking at the players and I was like, Charles, what do.
Speaker 6: You notice about about these guys?
Speaker 11: And He's like, just how streamlined and just how athletic every single person looks Like the DB's aren't as big as they used to be, but there's so much more athletic, there's so much more explosive.
Speaker 6: Because we were just talking.
Speaker 11: About like if you let these guys play the same way we played, I mean, guys would really be getting hurt. They had to kind of dial it back me just because of how just how big and thick and muscular and stuff all these guys are. But the athleticism is so much different. The requirements at defensive back by and large are the same. But I think I just think the quality of athlete has really ramped up. And for me, Look, I would have been there are a few teams I still could play for, Like I could still play for those big own teams that you know, I would.
Speaker 6: Have been a good you know what I should have done.
Speaker 11: I should have done with the late great mister Al Davis told me to do, which was move the linebacker.
Speaker 6: I would have been a hell of a will backer.
Speaker 11: Now, okay, but you know I still got I still got my seven eight years in.
Speaker 6: I'm good. I'm good. Now I get to do this, man, I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, it doesn't hurt. No, you're done with this.
Speaker 11: No, you know what exactly I heard Andrew talking about that that's the thing that you don't miss. But you know what, at the same time, I kind of do miss the pain a little bit. I kind of do miss laying in the training when the last time, oh gosh, nineteen ninety eight. I think that was the last time, like I that I really felt, you know, like that thrill of like knocking the crap out of someone. Although I was playing in a like a like a parents versus kids soccer game with my daughter like about back in like twenty ten, and like kind of slipped on the grass and like literally like just I mean went head over heels and that.
Speaker 6: That didn't feel very good. But I've had back.
Speaker 11: In twenty fifteen, man, I had like like three like a three disc fusion surgery in my neck because of the way we used to hit back then. So those days of being physical they're long gone for me, Man, long gone.
Speaker 2: You look at that Cleveland Brown staff that you had, BELI, oh my goodness, it was. How come you guys weren't good because.
Speaker 11: We didn't have any offense. We stunk on offense. I mean, damn we stunk. It wasn't good. We had one of the best defenses in ninety four in the history of the league, and I mean we were just snuff people out, I mean blank them, and we'd still lose games. So that ninety four season, we lost to the Steelers three times that year, twice in the regular season.
Speaker 6: Then we lost to them in the divisional round in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 11: I remember we went there to Pittsburgh and we ran out on the football for pregame. It was myself, Eric Turner, maybe Rob Burnett, Anthony plays a couple of guys on defense. I remember seeing this figure like down in the corner of the end zone. I see this dude standing there. He was like it was like a cut off Great T shirt. He had a Steeler pants on, and he remember seeing like his arms and it was Greg Lloyd and he was standing there waiting. He's just screaming, where to bleep is Vinnie? Where's Vinnie? Like Testa Verdi and I was. I remember looking at Eric Turner going, dude, we are dead. We are dead today and oh my god. And you know what they had, So that's when they had. They had Bam Morris, John L. Williams and uh who was the other running back? Bam John L. I forget who the other guy was. They had three backs go for over one hundred yards that day.
Speaker 6: Three.
Speaker 11: I had eleven tackles at halftime. So that that's that's we just couldn't.
Speaker 6: We just couldn't. We couldn't score. Dan that was a problem if.
Speaker 2: That means there at the second level.
Speaker 11: Well, and then and I played down in the but because remember I wasn't a big cover guy, they had me down in the box a lot. But yeah, you know what, that staff Getting back to that staff though that was football like that was like going to the Harvard of football to learn from Nick and Bill. At the same time, it was such It was so hard at the time because of the demands that they put on you. And I'm telling I had a lot of sleepless nights those years, those three years in Cleveland. But as I tell Nick now and I tell Bill anytime I see him, I would not change.
Speaker 6: It for the world. Those guys are savants. They are one of one.
Speaker 11: And whenever you lost football games or didn't play well, it was your fault. It wasn't their fault because they gave you the answers. This is whether or not you could use them. They are that damn smart. And those two guys, there are two greatest coaches in my mind of all time, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: Which one is the greatest coach of all time?
Speaker 11: You know, I think, look, I think I hit it off with I had a much more personal relationship with Nick than I did with Bill because Bill was the head coach and Nick was the coordinator and the dB coach. Bill Bill was very Bill's very much like you think he is. Like, Bill was very business by the book, not very emotional about things, Like he would say hi to you one minute and the next minute tell you I'm cutting you get out of here, and like wouldn't break a smile. Nick was so hard on you, but when you did it the way you want it, he would give you that look, that kind of like that fatherly look that she's like, I approve that, That's what I want from you. So he was the guy who I gravitated towards. But I'll tell you what now, both of those dudes, they are not for everyone. But if you get coached by them, if you get coached by them and you win their approval, there's no greater feeling because they truly are the grand masters of this game.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, of course, thanks for all your contributions this year, your insights. Yeah, Lewis Riddick of the Mothership. We'll take it break, We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow? Once again, our thanks to the San Francisco Giants. They very accommodating. They allowed us to set up up shop here across from the Oracle Park. They actually put the DP show logo up in the jumbo tron there during the morning and treated us to dinner last night. So thank you for your hospitality. All right, so last call for phone calls tomorrow, we'll talk to Chris collins Worth, Mike treco Ce, d Lamb, the Cowboys, and Malcolm Butler, and we will have Melissa Stark and Kaylee Hardton. They're going to be doing sidelines for NBC. Let's see Shuffles in Phoenix. Hey Shuffles, welcome.
Speaker 9: Back, Good morning, Thank you. Great interview with Bo Jackson was fantastic and him saying that he just had prostate cancer. One of my buddies just got diagnosed. And as soon as Bo said that, I texted him and said, hey man, Bo Jackson just said, prostate cancer surgery, You're gonna be okay. So it's fantastic. Secondly, Marvin and I had a vet from when UFA beat Connecticut early, and I didn't know did Marvin ever take a pie of the face. No, he did not, because if he wanted to double up, we could do the Uncle Phil that he mentioned the other day and the pie of the face for the tournament, depending on how Arizona or Connecticut do. I didn't know if he'd want a part of that.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's Arizona the tournament I'm taking.
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sorry, Wow, undefeated.
Speaker 2: You still don't believe in U of A, do you? I know I want to, but you know how this is when I start to fill out my bracket and I look at Arizona and I go, I just go Chargers. They are the Chargers of college college foot trip. I know, I know, I know. Ye the year you leave them out, I know, I know they'll go to the final four.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jim in Florida. Hi Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Ben? Nice to talk to you. I just wanted to comment on bo Jackson. If it wasn't the best, it was one of the better interviews you've ever done, and I would pause it. So Jackson saved somebody's life today.
Speaker 2: You're probably right, Jim, and I hope he did. I hope that people listen to that and go get tested. And I said this to the Dan Nets yesterday we did a little video, a public service announcement for prostate cancer getting tested, and it's really easy to do it. And if you get that opportunity, no not, if you get it, make sure you get the opportunity to get tested. That in colon cancer guys were stupid. We don't like going to the doctor. Nobody likes going to the doctor. But when you go there, and you can be healthier, smarter, live longer than do it. And I'm very, very thankful that both came on and shared his story because he had prostate cancer three months ago. Mike and Wisconsin. Hi Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Big?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan, Thanks for taking my call. Hey Dan, I have a Super Bowl trivia question if you're for testing your knowledge? Oh okay, So, so this player he had six hundred and two career rushing yards and ironically he set and still holds the Super Bowl rushing record with two hundred and four yards.
Speaker 2: Was that Timmy Smith of Washington.
Speaker 12: Jimmy Smith, Washington and Super Bowl twenty two. They routed Fritzy Broncos for you.
Speaker 6: We don't need to do that.
Speaker 2: We don't need to go You gotta be specific with the number of the team that routed the Denver Broncos in Super Bowls.
Speaker 13: Todd at number twenty two, running up and down the sideline, not being able to catch Timmy Smith.
Speaker 2: Was that the lily? That was Tony Lily?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right man, they took advantage.
Speaker 5: We had a ten nothing lead in that game.
Speaker 2: We we lose, I know, Setan. Would you give us the final results to the poll question today, very very controversial.
Speaker 3: Holy smokes, who should Tom Brady root for in the Super Bowl? Shockingly, fifty six percent of the audience say the Patriots.
Speaker 4: How Tom got that one wrong?
Speaker 3: And the biggest dog on the show today Bo Jackson, Gerald McCoy, Andrew Luck or Peter Herbstreet Kirk's dog Bo Jackson running away with that one, running away. The dog is in second place, a comfortable second place.
Speaker 2: That was a great That's a great looking dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah that is if that is a good dog, the very definition of a good dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is no way my dog could have sat there like Peter sat in his own chair. While Kirk Kurbstreet sat here, my dog would be in my lap, she'd be all over the place. So my dog, you know, we're out here in San Francisco, be home man Cave, and my dog has been going crazy because she didn't get to go to work. So my wife drops my dog off. Winnie is watching when Peter the Dog is on TV, and she is going bonkers at the man Cave, barking at the screen because she wants to protect Tyler. That's love, yes, Uh.
Speaker 13: And there's other dogs running around that, you know, so there's more stimuli. And the dog was still Peter was still quietly sitting there.
Speaker 2: But you know what was great is the number of our listeners, our viewers who send in pictures of their dog watching Peter the Dog.
Speaker 3: Dogs all over the place went crazy as soon as they saw Peter.
Speaker 2: Uh. But I haven't seen Bo. I'm trying to think last time I saw Bo Jackson. But I don't know if I've been more excited to talk to somebody because it had been such a long period of time, and we played golf together and I just remember I thought he was going to hit at three hundred and fifty yards and then I realized he couldn't out bow a golf course like he couldn't. He said, if that ball was moving ninety five miles an hour, I'd have a chance. But the fact that it was just it kind of sits there and mocks you. Just looks, you know, it's looking right at you and bow. He just couldn't get it right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, paul I just checked back the last time we had Bo Jackson the show. He was a spring training coach in Scottsdale two thousand and four and he was with the White Sox and he joined the show.
Speaker 2: And I love that. Andrew Luck came from Stanford. It's forty five minutes, he said. But he wasn't selling a product like everybody is normally selling a product. Lewis Riddick just came over. You're not selling a product. They just wanted to come in and talk, and that's that's a lot of fun. But Andrew Luck coming in and being a good sport, letting Paulie mimic him make fun of it, and he took it. Good sport, fantastic impersonation.
Speaker 6: I gotta give it to him.
Speaker 4: Ah, I need some work, like Stanford football need some work.
Speaker 5: We're getting there.
Speaker 2: But we did find out that Seaton's been sitting on a Tom Brady impersonation.
Speaker 4: It's not so much that I've been sitting on it, Den. I just think that hard work, you know, dedication is really what's gotten me here to this point. That's why I can't really pick who patriots. I don't have a rooting interest in this. I wrote for hard work and dedication because that's met here.
Speaker 2: We're definitely not getting Tom Brady on your shit's gonna be, We're more so not getting him out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, maybe we can get Clint Kubiak.
Speaker 2: Oh, you didn't add the ad. Yeah, like freeze too emotional.
Speaker 3: I just I just I don't even know why that's the impression today, but I just threw that out there because it's just too emotional about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were upset?
Speaker 4: What is he doing? What is he doing?
Speaker 2: We say that about Todd a lot. Okay, Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 13: Bo Jackson would rather face a ninety five mile per hour fastball that have to do with a golf ball that just sits there on the tee Satan.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady's making more sense than Todd. Fritz Paul Andrew Luck is a great great sport.
Speaker 5: Marvin bo knows when payday is.
Speaker 2: With quick pickup and drop off at thousands of locations across North America. You got flexible reservations, personalized support. Penske Truck Rental. You get it right. You get reliable, fuel efficient vehicles whenever you need them. Gain ground with Penske. Thanks for joining us one more day here in San francisc Go. We'll talk to you on Friday,